Speaker 1: All right, let's get at drive time Tuesday afternoon, twelve minutes past the hour of two o'clock. It is a Chamber of Commerce Salt Lake City day. Outside it's about seventy five degrees clear and sunny here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utahs. We have turned our calendars to June, but it feels more springish outside. But as it is every single day, it's gonna have you along for the riots fence check.
Speaker 2: It's beyond the mic.
Speaker 1: Porter Larsen behind the glass, producing the program, booking the program. Today we are one day away from the battle for.
Speaker 2: Lord Stanley's Cup.
Speaker 1: The Stanley Cup Finals between Edmonton and Florida. Rematch gets rolling tomorrow. Then the NBA Finals will start on Thursday. Friendly reminder, we are your home of well not just the NBA and the Stanley Cup Finals, but all the biggest and best sporting events out there here on ESPN seven hundred. So if you're looking to listen to either it Stanley Cup Finals or the NBA Finals, we are your home for that. So we'll get you ready for both those series as we are the e of the night before Stanley Cup and then forty eight hours away from the NBA stuff breaking news right out of the gates. The New York Knicks have fired Tom Thibodeau after by far the best run that the team has had in twenty five years.
Speaker 2: I will get into that on the show today.
Speaker 1: Have some good NBA guests to talk about that on the show today, and the day after Austin Ainge was introduced as the new basketball excuse me, president of basketball operations for the Utah Jazz, will kind of react to some of the things Austin had to say yesterday, his response to a very very good question posed to him by our very own Shoan O'Connell about potentially tanking next year. Austin with a dynamite SoundBite, and no part of me believes he's telling the truth. We'll talk about why trying to win as mini games possible next year as an exercise and futility for a roster with not a lot of talent. It's great that you've locked in a front office you believe in. It's great that you've locked in a head coach that you believe in. If you don't have players, it doesn't matter who's coaching your team or who your general manager is, who your president is, who your CEO is.
Speaker 2: Who your owner is.
Speaker 1: If you do not have players, you are in trouble, and the Jazz just don't. So we'll get into a bunch of it on the show today Bobby Mark setting out his Jazz offseason spreadsheet. It will kind of dig into a little bit kind of understand what the Jazz can do this offseason and why next offseason is probably the more likely situation of when they can actually add talent that would make them a little bit more viable than clearly the fifteenth best roster in the West so far this year and.
Speaker 2: Entering next year. So we'll get into it on the show today.
Speaker 1: For Johnny Bryant is already being discussed as the next head coach of both the New York Knicks and the Phoenix Suns. Some other names are out there. I think you're gonna hear a lot of Jay Wright. I think you're gonna hear a lot of Michael Malone, who is a New Yorker by trade. Interesting news cycle this year as it pertains to coaching in pro basketball, where some really really good coaches who have done a really really good job lost their jobs. Most of the former coaches of the year are out out of work. Luckily, these guys signed contracts where Tom Thibodeau has an extension that goes through twenty twenty eight and the Knicks owe him thirty million dollars, so he'll receive thirty million bucks not to work, which must be nice. But a lot of NBA news to get to today, of course, with the NBA Finals, NBA Draft just over three weeks away now, and we have excellent coverage for you guys at both the first in the second round. Stay tuned as we're kind of locking in the details, but we'll both. We'll do both the first in the second round after our afternoon drive show, So starting at six o'clock you'll hear live coverage of the NBA Draft. Gordy Chaser, Richard Smith, two guys that are in draft rooms for decades and decades and decades, and we'll react to the picks the Jazz make.
Speaker 2: As of now, the Jazz have five and twenty one.
Speaker 1: They've got a couple of second rounders as well, so we'll dig into it. It's all the storylines on the program today. RSL has a seven match winless streak, Foresman's cannot be added until mid July, so RSL on a little bit of a break, will bring in Pablo Master, any RSL head coach today, see our guy's holding up and how the progress is kind of going, to see if they can get back off the snide. Diego Luna will be with the US men's national team playing in the World Cup. And as Christopher Camaraanie likes to say on the show, RSL this year does one thing pretty well, They Diego Luna well, and outside of that, they don't do much well. So Diego's gone for about a month, month and a half, we'll see what Pablo has to say about trying to replace his production.
Speaker 2: Tim McMahon NBA Daily Assess Style.
Speaker 1: Tim sent out a tweet of his suitcase where I believe he has ten pairs of shoes.
Speaker 2: Packed for the NBA Finals.
Speaker 1: We won't talk a lot about that, but I had that kind of copy off guard.
Speaker 2: I didn't take Tim to be a sneakerhead like that.
Speaker 1: But of course we'll talk about the Austin Range media availability, we'll talk about offseason for the Utah Jazz, and then we'll get into the stuff with Tom Thibodeaux and who Tim thinks is going to take that New York job. Then obviously preview the NBA Finals. Sarah Todd, guys, the Red News covers the Utah Jazz. She's had some interesting takeaways from ultimately what happened yesterday with Austin Ainge's media availability and what the Jazz could do this offseason. And then I'll be on TV tonight with Dave Fox. Begrudgingly, I have agreed to do it ten thirty five. We call it five Questions with Spence. So Dave will stop by today in the four o'clock hour to enlighten, to illuminate, and to entertain. Pablo Mashownnie, Tim mcmaon, Sarah Todd, Dave Fox, me, Spence check. Its all of you, the great listeners. And that guy Porter Larson on a Tuesday afternoon, that kazoo blowing, fedora wearing idiot really did it?
Speaker 2: He fired.
Speaker 1: Tom Thibodeau. I am I'm honestly stunned, and maybe I shouldn't be. Taylor Jenkins, Michael Malone, Frank Vogel, I could keep going.
Speaker 2: What do you think? What are your thoughts?
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously when you you look at it on its face. Tom Thibodeau gave the Knicks what their best couple of seasons since twenty thirteen or or before, and then an Eastern Conference Finals run.
Speaker 2: It's hard to argue with the results. For one.
Speaker 3: Tom Thibodeau, I've and listen, you know this just going back and forth with me, I've always been kind of lukewarm on him. I always have felt like there is maybe that glass ceiling different term, but an actual ceiling there with Thibodeaux, just based on some of his coaching styles. But I don't know that it was firing time. The one thing I'll say, Spence is that if if there is a particular name that they already have connection with and he's ready to go, and they have someone, you know, kind of on deck, then maybe I'm okay with it, Especially if his name's Jay Wright or a real good name that you look at on the coaching market, then hey, let's let's try it out while while this corus together and while this roster is still good. But you know, I very much would have been fine running back with tips.
Speaker 1: So we'll get into it today. We have some good NBA guests. I'm stunned. As I've said before, and I will say it again and I'll say it probably until it changes. The Knicks will not win a championship when that while that clown owns the team. The clown is Jim Dolan. He really does play a kazoo in a band that he bank rolls and makes his employees go see at night in New York. It's a real thing, So we'll get into it. Pablo mash Joiny our first guest to do a little RSL. But before we catch up with our guy on a Tuesday afternoon, courtesy of our friends at Prize Picks, it's time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the.
Speaker 4: Drive with Spence check its on Utah's number one sports talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Prize Picks best place to turn your sports knowledge into cash. With millions of members, Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible to all. You just pick more or less on at least two players for shot to one up to two thousand times for cash. You can run your game all season long on Prize Picks. Do you know ball question mark? There's only one series left in the playoffs and the championship is officially on the line. That means time is running out for you to put your final takes to the test on Prize Picks, the best place to cash in on your favorite sports. So download the Prize Picks out today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred, and they're going to hook you up with fifty bucks when you play that first five dollars lineup. Don't even have to win the lineup, They're just gonna give you fifty regardless. So download the Prize Picks up today for free. Use the promo code ESPN seven hundred at check out. They're gonna hook you up with fifty bucks when you play that first five dollars lineup. Prize Picks run your game all season long, all right. So some I'll call it shocking surprising news. I know that certain people on basketball social media who think they know more about basketball than a guy like Tom Thibodeaux, or trying to dig in as to why this makes sense.
Speaker 2: It doesn't. It's stupid.
Speaker 1: Fresh off the deepest playoff round the New York Knicks have had in twenty five years. They fired Tom Thibodeaux, who's made the playoffs for the past five seasons. Over the past three years playoff wins number one, Boston number two, Denver number three, New York back to back fifty win seasons for the first time since nineteen ninety four and nineteen ninety five. Prior to that, it was nineteen ninety one nineteen ninety two. It has been literally thirty years since this franchise has won fifty games and back to back years. Tom Thibodeaux brought them back to relevance. They were ahead of schedule, as we've discussed. No part of me thought they had even a chance to hang with Boston, and let me remind you they were up three to one on the Celtics before Tatum's injury. Okay, this team was built with the idea of Boston having to break down their team because of luxury tax and second apron implications as a result of the new CBA, where the new ownership group in Boston next year is set to write a check for five hundred million dollars just for the right to have the roster. That's not even including what they're paying their players, and they've got Maxi money guys. They've got Jalen Brown, They've got Jason Tatum, they're paying Porzingis, they're paying Derek White, they're paying Drew Holliday. That's an expensive team. And so the Knicks were kind of built with the idea of, Okay, maybe we'll just concede that Boston's really good again this year, we don't really have a chance against them. But next year, if Boston breaks it down, then we're going to be right there with everybody else.
Speaker 2: Now the Pacer has spoiled everybody's party.
Speaker 1: Nobody thought the Pacers would be the Eastern Conference rep in the final, but they are so a seriously misguided, stupid decision today to fire Tom Thibodeau. There's no other way around it. He did a remarkable job. He was the coach of the year three years ago. Three years ago they beat Boston, he undressed Joe Missoula. Now he was out coached, in my opinion by Rick Carlisle, and I have been very honest about that.
Speaker 2: Now Tom gets a lot of heat.
Speaker 1: Before not digging into his bench very much and playing his starters a lot of minutes, did you notice who was on the Knicks bench.
Speaker 2: Really not a lot of great options.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we saw Tom dust Off, Landrew Shammitt and former Ute Delon Wright when it came to the Indiana series at that point it was probably too late, but they do not have a great bench. They're very top heavy. And Leon Rose was calculated about identifying Jalen Brunson, and really that was as a result of what the MAVs did to the Jazz when Luka Doncis was hurt and Jalen took over as the primary offensive initiator and everybody's like, oh dude, is this real? Well just turned out to be real, and then some and then some really good decisions bringing in Josh Art, bringing in Ogann and Obi when Toronto decided they were going to yard Sail. This really could come down to one thing, and that is the caa relationship depth between Karl Anthony Towns, Leon Rose, and Worldwide West because car Carl Anthony Towns has known these guys since he was a freshman at the University of Kentucky, and their speculation that Karl Anthony Towns actually didn't like playing for Tom and Minnesota. Remember this is their second stop together and their speculation the cat didn't love playing for Tom Thibodeau in New York and Karl Anthony Towns is under contract and is actually up for an extension, and the problem is the coach is the one that always falls on the sword.
Speaker 2: You can trade players, but.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna cut Cat, and you're not gonna trade Cat unless you get a lot in return. So if this was a power struggle between Karl Anthony Towns and Tom Thibodeau, maybe Leon Brose really had no choice. This does reakive another misguided decision from the worst owner in professional sports by far, and that's James Dolan. He was named by Sports Illustrated as the worst owner in pro sports twice for owning the Knicks and the Rangers. He is a guy that is more focused on truly playing the kazoo in a band which he bankrolls with some of the best musicians in New York and forces his employees to come watch his stupid band like this is why since he took over it has been more or less a bleep show, and as long as he owns the team, it will be more or less a bleep show. And finally, they actually had gone about their business the right way to build this thing slowly. Leon Rose came in, was a longtime agent and did a good job of making sure that they didn't make rash decisions, making sure that they weren't trying to sign some aged, overpriced superstar like Amari Stodemeyer to believe he could be what he was a decade ago. They did it slowly, They made right decisions. They were on the right track. But today is a step in the wrong direction. They have personnel issues if they want to take the next step from an Eastern Conference Finals team to an NBA Finals team.
Speaker 2: It wasn't because of the guy coaching the team.
Speaker 1: It was because of their lack of depth and the defensive issues that present themselves when you have Karl Anthony Towns on your roster.
Speaker 2: Minnesota fans know this, so it's done. It's a dumb move.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, before we catch a break, I think one of the things that we should point out here is, well, I still believe the Utah Jazz have a ton of work to do with roster construction to even be relevant and somewhat competitive. And I'm not talking about being in close games and winning thirty thirty five games. Who gives a rip about that. I'm talking about getting back to the postseason and advancing, competing for home court, giving this fan base something to actually latch onto. So while I think the rebuild and we're yes, we're entering year four of the rebuild, okay, don't listen to the propagated information or propagated information coming out of team owned media outlets like, yeah, we actually tore it down for three years and it's only one year of No, it's not. This is year four. You're on the clock and it's been bad. It's been clunky. The draft picks so far, for the most part, have not been great. Now they're so young, I'm not willing to anoint or dismiss. Will give them time to grow. But I think one of the things that could turn out to be a really smart move by Ryan is locking in a front office and a coaching staff that you do believe in and then riding with them. Will Hardy was rewarded with a five year extension for winning thirty percent of his basketball games. Tom Thibodeau just lost his job after going to the Eastern Conference Finals and winning fifty games in back to back years. Think about that for a second. Will Hardy is going to receive a nine year runway and he's won thirty percent of his games. Tom Thibodeaux just lost his job after the most successful five year stretch the Knicks have had since the late nineties. Okay, so what New York did today is exactly why they've been treading water and running in circles for twenty five years. So while the Jazz have a mile to go, excuse me, a marathon to go with actually finding talent to make this team relevant, what Ryan has done is decided to give these front office people and his coaching staff a ton of security and runway. Now, only time will tell as to whether or not that's the right move, but hypothetically, theoretically speaking, it is the right thing to do. If you believe in your people. Now you've got to go find players.
Speaker 5: Sean O'Connell ESPN seven hundred. As someone correctly stated, it seems like a team in a rebuild, and some things were done this past season to potentially manipulate where the team would end up in the draft. Lot ofy odds, and unfortunately some of that is dependent on luck and the team got a little bit unlucky. So do you have a philosophy what is your philosophy on, for lack of a better term, to be in delicate tanking or manipulating minutes and player performance in order to achieve better lot of re odds.
Speaker 2: I won't see that this year.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, during Austin Ange's media availability, our very own Sean O'Connell the question that has made the rounds. A lot of people have reacted to it. Our next guest was also present and certainly will have some thoughts on that and all things related to the Utah Jazz. Two time Utah Sports Writer of the Year, Sarah Todd des Red News, Sarah, Happy Tuesday.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm doing great. I actually was not present, so I should I should say that I'm actually in San Diego.
Speaker 1: So, sir, literally nobody knew knew that you could have just faked it.
Speaker 6: I know, Honor System. I started to feel bad before I even talked.
Speaker 1: That says a lot about you. That's I'm jealous you're in San Diego. But let's get your reaction and also whether or not you believe what Austin had to say that this idea of making sure certain players are encouraged to not show up for work in order to have the best lottery odds.
Speaker 2: Is something we will not see from the Jazz next year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I was just as shocked as everyone else. I mean not just from that comment, but google whole press conference. I mean the way that it started right off the that like Ryan Smith had some comments, Austin said some comments, and then they opened up the questions. But literally, like the first thing that Ryan said to reporters was, I know, everyone's going to probably have some questions about like organizational structure and hierarchy, and I'm going to clear that up right now. Like Austin is in charge, he has final say, he'll be giving the recommendations to me. And so what I would thought was going to end up being another confusing press conference like it was when Danny Age was hired, was not like that at all. It was very clear that they are making Austin Ange the most powerful decision maker in the front office, and so that was surprising. The second thing was that was surprising was that Danny Ainge by all accounts, did not know that this was happening. That they weren't like interviewing President of Basketball Operations candidates, and that it all happened what seemed very impulsively. So that was a second surprising thing. And then the final surprising thing was a very clear and concise you just play the audio. You won't see that next year as it pertains to tanking. And I reached out to different people within the organization and kind of pretty frankly like asked people like, is this real or we be just being told what needs to be told. And I was told pretty plainly, like, no, this is real. Now There's two ways that could go right, Like the Jazz could trade away enough players to wear tanking by manipulating injury reports and minutes and games played is not necessary in order for them to be bad mess or they will just play the roster they have and live with the results. But I've been told by a number of people that they do not plan to tank.
Speaker 1: All right, Well I don't believe, Okay, like I don't believe them. I don't believe what Austin said to be a truthful statement.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a great SoundBite.
Speaker 1: And respectfully, Sarah, if anybody out there is buying that, Danny didn't know Ryan was talking to his son about this job. I've got a great piece of property we can talk about like. There's no way that happened behind closed doors either. But let's operate because your sources are good as good as any beat writer we have in the market.
Speaker 2: You're connected.
Speaker 1: So if we operate off the assumption and take Austin at his word that next year they are going to put their best foot forward and not be unserious about competition, you tell me what that looks like in your opinion, because as we've talked about, and as you know, they have a top eight protected pick next year that if they don't finish in the top eight, that pick goes to the team that's about to win the World championship. But if they hold onto that pick next year, the first round convey turns into second rounders the year after. So it really makes zero sense to go all in on trying to win if there's a chance that you win thirty two games in Draft ninth and send that to OKAYC. In my opinion, the smart approach is doing everything you can to hold on to that asset, especially based off of where this team is in the process of trying to get back to relevance. So if he's telling the truth and they go all in and they try to win next year, what does that look like.
Speaker 6: Well, I think that's the difference is I don't believe that they're going to go all in and try to win. I think that that there is a difference between not tanking and trying to win, like there is a middle ground there, which is why I believe that if they're talking about, like if they're being serious about not manipulating the injury report in minutes, I think that you have to offload players from the roster in order to make it so that you can put your best foot forward and still keep that top eight pick. And so that's what I think it looks like. I think that it looks like you can't just hang on to these contracts. I think that the fact that you have quite a few expiring deals now means it's probably going to be easier to get rid of guys like John Collins, Jordan Clarkson. I think that it makes it interesting when you think about what kind of suitors may come calling for Walker Kessler or Lowry Markinen. I think that those are kind of more likely than they ever have been to be moved. That I don't mean that super likely, but more likely than they were previously. And so if you are going to make it to where the roster is bad enough that you don't have to manipulate it in order to keep that top eight pick, that feels like what is probably going to happen. And I agree with you, and I'm pretty sure at this point it doesn't even turn into seconds like after this year, if the Jazz don't convey the pick to Okay, see, the obligation extinguishes. And so that's even more of a reason, like don't give this finals team a lottery pick, because that would just make the Western Conference even more difficult, Like don't reward them when you.
Speaker 7: Could just keep the pick.
Speaker 6: And so, I mean, it just feels insane if they were to not go after that pick. And so if they're going to stand by the word that they're not going to manipulate things in order to get better lottery odds as it pertains to like performances and minutes, then I would expect a lot of trading to start happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said, I do think there's a world because in my opinions, it's Lowry and it's Walker. Are the two players where you've got a little something there, Okay, I have questions about literally every other player on the roster. So if you wanted to tank and also meet the minimum salary floor requirements because you do have to pay players, then moving on from Marketing and Kessler and holding on to Collins, Clarkson and Sexton is something that you could probably look at because do respect to those three that are all good guys. That's the kind of situation like John Collins might be a perfect vet for a team that's not trying to win, even though you know they're claiming they're not going to manipulate minutes because he's making twenty six point five and while he's been good in spurts, he's fine to have on the roster because John Collins is not going to win you a bunch of games. Marketing and Kessler are good enough that if you play them, I don't know if they play sixty five to seventy games, they're good enough that you are going to win games. We've seen Lowry be able to do that. And Walker is an emerging player in this league. So what do you think of the potential of maybe moving on for market and Kessler holding on to the other veterans and then playing the young players a grip of minutes that could include four new rookies on the roster.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, and it kind of depends on what kind of timeline that you're going to be looking at, right, Like, these are all discussions that are going to be happening in the very coming days and weeks with Austin Ainge and the rest of the front office. Like the idea of if you're moving on from Kessler, who is going into his fourth and market In, who is now kind of really entering the prime of his career in age, and you're thinking, Okay, we're just going to have like the contracts that you're talking about John Collins concepts and on the roster in order to take up money space, but banking on young players that we can get this year with the fifth pick and maybe next year with a top eight pick. Then you're talking about an even longer timeline. Obviously you'd be getting more picks if you were to unload Kessler and market In, and so what are you going to do with those? What do the trade and free agent markets look like down the road two, three, four, five years from now? And so if you were to move those guys, it feels like an even more elongated timeline. If that's what they want to do, and if that's that's what they feel comfortable with it, and we'll be more successful with the team. Like I'm not going to say that it's not, but just you know, it would be another reason to temper the expectations of fans who think, like, oh, he came in, he said that there's not going to be any tanking. This is it, We're going to go win. It's like, no, this actually could be a situation where things could take longer than expected.
Speaker 1: On the other side, Okay, on the other side, and we'll just kind of talk about possibilities, Sarah, because there's no way of knowing how this will go. But you know, even Ryan yesterday, when Austin alluded to the success that he and his dad had in Boston, Ryan said, I'd take some of that success right now. And Ryan oftentimes in the past, has you know, I heard Ryan talk about a potential Christaps Porzingis deal that he thought they had done.
Speaker 2: Bobby Mark's on my show said.
Speaker 1: He was told that the Jazz had a really nice offer for Drew Holliday Andrew wanted to go play in Boston because they thought they could win, and they did.
Speaker 2: He's an NBA champion now, so we know that Ryan.
Speaker 1: Has expressed in the past the desire to bring in really good players. I still don't know who the guy down there was that uttered the we are going to sign Paul George and trade for mckel bridges. But good luck. I mean, that would have been awesome. Obviously that was not steeped in reality. But those are the desires that certain people down there have. And we are entering Sarah and offseason where Kevin Durant and maybe Jannis and maybe Kat and I could keep going. I mean, I don't know what Phoenix does, but they've got a they've got a problem where they've got to try to find some answers. Boston has a really expensive roster. They'll probably jet in some players. The Jazz do not have cap space. John Collins is probably gonna pick up his player option. I'll go out on a limb there. If he doesn't, then we have a different conversation. Next year is the off season where the Jazz have very clean books.
Speaker 2: So next year is.
Speaker 1: The year that I think it's more realistic to talk about adding more viable pieces and talent to give them a better chance of competing. But is there are there avenues for the Jazz to add talent this offseason to make next year much more competitive? And if you're able to add a couple of really good veteran players, add them to these young pieces and maybe put a couple of players next to Larry and Walker. Is there is that a real scenario for the Jazz this offseason to add some really good veteran players and actually take a couple of tangible steps forward next year.
Speaker 6: It doesn't feel real. I agree, because even if we're talking about, like, you know, some of the guys that are on the table right now, like you're honest, right Like, why in any world or any scenario would Milwaukee.
Speaker 7: Talk to.
Speaker 6: Utah about the fifth pick and some of the young players that the Jazz have when clearly they could have the second pick from San Antonio and better young players. I just think that there are better deals and better situations that the Bucks would want to deal with, Like they're not looking to get rid of Yannis and be completely in the lurch with someone like Isaiah Collier who's not proven and probably is going to end up being like a backup point guard at best at this point, with what we know about him, Why would they do that if they could just get Dylan Harper and you know, Devin Befl or something like that. So it just doesn't feel like the Jazz have the players and picks that a lot of other teams could offer the Bucks right now. But I just can't get past the fact that the Jazz are just not in a position to be okay with giving up that top eight pick next year. It just feels irresponsible to do that, and so I don't see that happening. I don't see them wanting or willing to just give it up outright just to get a few more wins. But I think the biggest question is who is ultimately making that decision at the end, right Like we know that the front office hierarchy. What we've been told is that Austen Change is in charge. But like every other professional sports team, he will make a decision and take that decision to ownership, and that is where the true finals say happens. That is, with every professional sports organization, ownership signs off on decisions, and in this case it's Ryan Smith.
Speaker 7: And he is.
Speaker 6: He literally tweeted out that he was screaming outside the day after the lottery, Like he is emotional and he reacts to things as a fan. He is a fan of this team that he owns, and so if Ryan Smith wants to win, I think that that is what is going to push decisions.
Speaker 1: When it comes to the front office hierarchy. I guess we can only go off of what you've been told. Does it feel like Justin Zanik and Danny Ainge report to Austin Ange? Is that is that the gut the gut feel, is that kind of how this thing is going to play out?
Speaker 6: That's what I mean, That's what we're led to believe right now. Right And like if they if the president of basketball operations job has been open for three years and they haven't made any indication that they were going to promote Justin Zanik, and he has stayed and for by all accounts, happily been in the position of general manager. And if you're if you're there for three years while that job is open, I don't think that Zanik ever expected to have that job, you know, but it is it is a strange dynamic to have the new person come in and have everybody be reporting to them, including his father.
Speaker 1: Were you surprised that Danny was not quoted in any press releases nor was made available during the media stuff.
Speaker 6: I'm not surprised by that at all. I mean, number one, like, it's not shocking that they didn't make him available because probably posing some weird questions to him would be uncomfortable, So like why would they make him available for that?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 6: But then also a little unfaired often, right, like if he just got hired at President of Basketball Operation, that's like the biggest job in the NBA that he's ever had, Like it would feel a little infantilizing to be like, Okay, now let's talk to your daddy.
Speaker 1: Okay, the way, if you put it like that, I guess I'm on board. What do you Okay, let's see how to pose this question if you got Zanik in an honest moment about this entire thing. And let me start with this. We all want to keep our jobs and there are not a lot of NBA general manager jobs out there now. Zanik at one point was to be the new GM in Milwaukee before that went to Horst, and then he was elevated after Dennis Lindsay decided he was not interested in working for this ownership group anymore. So, ultimately, I'm sure the bottom line for jay Z is I'm an NBA general manager and this is awesome and I love my job. But I wonder ultimately how he feels about this entire thing where it's clear that you know, he's part of the group but not running the show, maybe in a way that he thought maybe at some point he would be, If that makes sense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, like I said, he's known the score because he hasn't been given that promotion for three years, right, Like, if he thought that he was getting it then one year, two years ago, then it would have become clear, right and so, and I also think a lot about Justin's personal life when I think about his position. He's been in Utah for a long time, recently had a kidney transplant, learns that all of his children have the same genetic variant that he has that leads to the kidney disease that he has. So like, all of his doctors are in Utah, his children in high school, Like, there's not a lot of personal reason for him to want to leave. And if he's in a position where staying general manager and continuing to have a very lucrative and successful job keeps him in a place where him his family are not only.
Speaker 7: Happy, but healthy.
Speaker 6: I think that that plays a lot more into Justin's decisions and perception on his life then maybe it did even two or three years ago. And then in addition to that, there are a lot of owners in the NBA who are less willing to spend money and less willing to keep things to keep continent. I mean, look at what is happening in New York right now. Like you know, James Dolan is as sickle as they come, and is as horrible as they come, and they're firing TIBs after he just took the next to the furthest points they've been in over twenty years, and so like, things could be worse. And I think that, you know, if you're if you're a front office person in the NBA and you're serving the landscape, there are a lot worse places to be and where Justin Zanik is right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you're good to bring up the personal side. That's something that we fail to do in this space often. So I appreciate that perspective. I like Justin, I'm a Xanta guy, and so you know, I just kind of wonder how this is all landing with him, But yes, we all want to keep our jobs, and I'm sure Justin is in that that space as well. So you brought up where I wanted to go next, which is and I'll start here just to reduct, you know, to be reductive and reduce it to really what the bottom line is of pro basketball, and that is, if you don't have players, it doesn't matter who your coach is. If you don't have players, doesn't matter who your front office is, it doesn't matter who your owner is if you don't have players. And the Jazz don't have players, they don't the Knicks do. But what happened today is another example of why New York has been treading water for twenty five years. They have a petulant owner who's impatient and makes ration, you know, irrational decisions without thinking them through. And so where I will give the Jazz credit, and only time will tell if this is the right approach, because again, if you don't have players, it doesn't matter who your coach is or who your front office is.
Speaker 2: But what Ryan is elected to do will.
Speaker 1: Hardy received, he's going to receive a nine year runway and he's won thirty percent of his basketball games. Tom Tibdeau was just fired after going to the Eastern Conference Finals and winning fifty games in back to back years for the first time in twenty five thirty years. So what Ryan has elected to do is like the anti Dolein approach, and that is lock in a front office, lock in a coach, and let's go again. Bottom line, you have to have players and the Jazz don't. But what do you make of that dichotomy where I pus to be uh, you know, the wrong approach from James Dolan for years to bring in aged you know, aging overpriced players and aren't ready to win, to fire coaches left and right, and it clearly has not worked consistently in New York and Ryan is taking the opposite approach.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts.
Speaker 6: I'm long been a believer that like consistency and continuity when it comes to coaching is really important. Like it is really hard to look at some of the teams in the NBA and think like, wow, that's not part of it, right, Like you look at the turnover and coaching in Phoenix, the turnover and coaching in Milwaukee, the turnover and coaching in Philadelphia, and like now New York is going to do it.
Speaker 8: It's like, what do they.
Speaker 6: Expect that someone else is going to think that just the biggest named coach, you know, budenholz Er, Doc Rivers, Nick Nurse, you just like rotate those guys in and it's going to fix all the problems.
Speaker 9: Like if we're looking at New York, I would say, like one of their biggest problems is that, like you know, the Andiana Pacers could have played thirteen guys and the Knicks were struggling to play seven, right, like your bench is Landry's chant. I like, I think that there are problems beyond TIBs. And you know, Jalen Brunson is the best player on that team, and he seems like he had all of the conference in TIBs. And so I just like don't understand why you would, you know, cut the legs off at coaching and say that that was the problem. That wasn't the problem. The players weren't good.
Speaker 2: Enough, all right, Sarah?
Speaker 1: Before I set you loose, so lets you get back to beautiful San Diego. Have you landed on UH and look at Of course it depends on who's drafted before five, But if the Jazz stay at five, who at this point do you believe is best case scenario for them to walk away with?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I have gone through probably five guys and I am I reserve the right to change this in two minutes as well in ten days, because I feel like that's how often I'm changing my mind on this. Right now.
Speaker 10: If he was.
Speaker 6: Available, my top choice there would be VG Edgecombe. I do really like Trey Johnson. I think at this point, like I feel like I'm out on Ace Bailey. I just think that, like with the fifth pick, you need to have someone that is that is going to feel like they could be a star. But also if they just turn into like a really really reliable role player that then you're really happy with that. But they have to have like starter potential and a little glimmer of hope for them being a star. And if you're looking at someone who has like the best two way ability there, I think it's VJ. But I think that's what a lot of other people are thinking too, which makes me thinks he won't be there at five.
Speaker 1: Well, we are a few weeks away. We'll see what the jazz end up doing. Sarah, thank you so much for the time. And Joyce San Diego, chatsoon, All right, chatsoon. Sarah Todd covers Utah Jazz for the des Ret News. She's on social media at NBA Sarah is where you find her.
Speaker 2: I want to remind you guys.
Speaker 1: The Live Night Events presents the twenty twenty five Granary Live Concerts Series powered by Nightingale College in Murdoc, Conde, Utah's number one Hyundai dealer. Experience outdoor concerts in the heart of downtown Salakes Granary District. Find more details on ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Sarah stops about today courtesy of our friends at IFA Country Stores. When the seasons change, if you're like any good coach, you'll put together your game plan for a healthy, green lawn and you'll turn to the experts at IFA. Check out their four plus lawn care program everything you need to make your yard a hit. It's the ultimate lawn owner power move at IFA and IFA dot co Op.
Speaker 4: Next on the Drive, Tim McMahon dropping dimes for your NBA Daily Assists.
Speaker 10: McMahon Van McMahan added dud in all the Land Texas flood as tickets, Muddy's and Mainan McMahon Van McMahon.
Speaker 7: The Man.
Speaker 1: Stanley Cup Finals begin tomorrow nights. NBA Finals start Thursday night. We are your home for both of those events here on the ESPN Utah Sports Network, So stay tuned for that.
Speaker 2: Random, big, busy NBA news.
Speaker 1: Cycle over the past twenty four hours. Our next guests good enough to give us some time. NBA Finals week. Tim McMahon, Happy Tuesday, sir, how are.
Speaker 7: You, howdy, partner? How you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm good, I'm good. So I see let's see. I see two Jordan eleven's. I see two Jordan threes. I see a Jordan four. I think that's a sick. I see two Jordan ones.
Speaker 2: How many?
Speaker 1: How many pairs of shoes are you bringing for this NBA Finals trip of yours?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you are looking at ten pairs. There there will be a pair of my feet, then there'll be a pair of running shoes, and there will be some Sabrina one. That's what I'm hooping in these days. I can't wear I can't wear NBA signature shoes, So I got some Sabrinas.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, best Jordan's.
Speaker 1: I did not know you were a sneaker head, and I am a sneaker head in recovery. I have a decent, not great collection, but I don't like to spend six hundred dollars on shoes anymore. So best Jordan's in your opinion, Yeah, I don't spend six hundreds.
Speaker 7: I like the threes best.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am an old school guy.
Speaker 7: You know. You see a lot of one stories. I do have some twos lows in there. I like the fours five. Yeah, I'm old school. I'm like back to the childhood type stuff. The threeses are my favorites.
Speaker 2: Threes is the correct answer. All right.
Speaker 1: I already buried the lead, Tim, because we actually have a big piece of jazz news to talk about. Austin Inge was announced yesterday as the Jazz President of basketball Operations, and his father, Danny, the CEO of the Jazz, will report to him. Justin Zenich, the general manager of the Utah Jazz, will report to him. So there there was a lot of clarity in the presser yesterday in a way that, quite frankly, Tim, we have not heard even when Danny was hired. It was kind of like he doesn't want to do anything day to day, so he's just gonna kind of hang out.
Speaker 2: Xanik is going to do.
Speaker 1: Most of the groundwork, so we actually have a little bit more clarity with the hierarchy of this front office, more so than we've had in a few years.
Speaker 2: What's your reaction.
Speaker 7: I believe that Danny Ainge is reporting to his son when I see it. But listen, Danny, like, he's not like you said, he's not a day to day guy. He wasn't handling the trade calls and you know down in admitted gritty to deal with the agents and you know at a GMS and whatnots been justin Xana's job. I think Danny's more of kind of like the senior advisor, almost to Brian Smith. But you know, obviously people are going to look at this, and I think that there will obviously be the initial reaction of mechanism of work. The one thing I would say is there is not a single executive in the NBA who considers often Age anything but immensely qualified for a position like this, Like he was going to be a candidate for other teams. You know, he's obviously been in Boston for a while been a significant part of building that Celtics championship team. So, you know, I do think that this is the addition of a you know, strong executive mind to the Jazz's front office, and he will be leading the front office. He ultimately is going to be the top basketball uh you know, executive, you know, the probably the last boy. And Ryan Smith's here, So I don't know exactly how. I don't want to speculate on how Justin Zanik feels about this. This is the second time somebody's been hired over his head by Ryan Smith, but he dealt with it just fine under Danny Ainge. And you know, I don't know how they'll divvy things up in terms of like trade talks and dealings with agents, et cetera, et cetera. I thought the most interesting from the press conference was his answer on the tanking question, and I thought it was a pretty direct answer that still managed to leave some wiggle room, if that makes sense. But you know, there was, as you might expect, a lot of reaction within the Jazz organization when the worst case scenario and also the most likely scenario is what happened in the lottery, and it's not just about the lottery odds, discouraging tanking and those kind of coming into play and you know, getting after that reality, but the damage that you're doing to player development if you have another season where they take the approach that they did last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your point about Danny is a really good one.
Speaker 1: And look, I've known the ages of my entire life, and you know, Danny doesn't need me to stand up for him, and quite frankly, neither does Austin. Austin does have a track record as a basketball decision maker for an organization that's really been the class of the league, among the class of the league for a long time, including the fourteen slash seventeen years he's been involved there. So their acumen and pedigree speaks for itself, it really does.
Speaker 2: But the Danny point is.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Tim, because I've honestly just wondered how invested he's been in this entire thing at all. And look, he's around, he's at games, and he's at workouts and such. But I also know he likes those riverside tea times, and I also know that he likes spending time with his grandkids. He's not one of those guys that just gives you a face value. Hey, I want to spend time with my family. Answer then goes and travels to Europe for six months out of the year. He's a father and a grandfather, and he is living his life in his later stages in the way that he wants to do it. I wonder if you think Austin's addition could indicate that Danny will even be a little bit more removed than he has been, you know.
Speaker 7: And look, it's not like Danny Ainge wanted to go work for the Utah Jazz exactly. He was recruited by Ryan Smith. And again, I don't necessarily know that this is going to change a lot for Danny because he wasn't doing the day to day stuff. You know, he wasn't grinding on the trade goals, and he wasn't you know, worrying about who they're going to sign to a two way contract. He wasn't dealing with the agents. That's all been Justin Zanik's job. So I don't I don't know that this changes a lot for Danny. Again, I'm more curious to know how much will it change for Justin Zannik. But you know, this is a by NBA standards, they've had a relatively lean funnel. You know that they've also let a couple other people in that front office go this off season, so you know, there still could be some hires to come well. You know, and the other thing I think that we should point out is, you know, while Will Hardy wasn't like part of the hiring process for ust the names, they do have a relationship. You know, they did work together for a year in Boston. You know, I do know there's a lot of mutual respect there and you know, I would certainly anticipate that it would be a productive, harmonious head coach lead executive relationship between those two.
Speaker 1: So the xantig portion tim Okay, so let's let's be very clear. If you are able to traverse your way into an NBA general manager job, you simply want to keep that job. And it is one of the best jobs that Justin probably ever thought he could get. H He was a finalist in Milwaukee, and the fact I think he actually on took the job.
Speaker 7: No, he was, and then they he was like next in line, and I forgot the exact circumstances, but he kind of got Shank and that deal.
Speaker 1: Right, and they gave it to Horst and then Dennis Lindsay moved on and jay Z was elevated to general manager. And Tim, I know that you said that you don't want to speculate on where his head is that with this, But where's his head out with this?
Speaker 7: I haven't talked to him, and I'm not going to put words in a guy's mouth, you know. I mean jay Z has always been a very faithful, hardworking employee of the Utah Jazz. I don't know anything that would indicate that that would change. Yeah. The other thing is he's he's had some extremely serious health issues, you know, how to get a life stating transplant. You know, maybe taking a little bit off his plate would be beneficial. Dam But again that's that's me getting into speculation that I really don't want to do because I have not had a discussion with him.
Speaker 2: So let's go back to what you reference.
Speaker 1: And that was Austin's answer as a result of the question asked by our very own Sean O'Connell about the philosophy on tanking, and it was a great SoundBite. I mean, I've had a lot of people send it to me like, oh, I guess things are changing, but I don't believe it to be true. And it's pretty simple, tim like, there is this top eight protected first round pick next year that if the Jazz aren't in the top eight, it goes to the team that's probably about to win the World championship, and then the year after I believe it conveys to two second rounders.
Speaker 2: I think something like that.
Speaker 1: So next okay, So next year is the final time that the bill could come do And when you are a team that is in such bad need of a talent infusion, you cannot afford to lose a first round pick that could be, you know, a player that ultimately does hit, because they need players that are going to hit. So I understand what Austin said. I don't believe that that's going to be the approach. How do you think they do approach this season based off of the need to hang on to an asset I believe they badly need to hang on to.
Speaker 7: Can you read the exact quote to me? Do you have that in front of you?
Speaker 1: It was simply if John asked him his philosophy on tanking, manipulating minutes, you know, in the name of better draft odds, and Austin simply said, you will not see that this year.
Speaker 7: So you might see and you don't have to call it tank, and you might see long term transactions that make it even more difficult for the Jazz to put a winning product on the floor next year. Is that tanking or is that doing what's in the best long term interest of your franchise. I think, you know, if you take his statement at face value, they're not going to tank by coming up with mythical injuries. Okay, they're not going to tank by sitting there better players during the fourth quarters. They're not going to be you know, I mean, I think a fair word is dishonest about trying to on a night to night basis win basketball games. That doesn't mean that they're going to win a lot of games next year. Now, Will has proven that if if you know, if you give him NBA caliber talent, that he's probably gonna the Jazz will probably win more games under his coaching. Then you would think just looking at it on paper, Uh, you know, if they're if they're not doing you know, egregious tanking measures, but like look at the Western Conference, tell me which team you realistically think the Jazz are going to be better than next year.
Speaker 2: There is a one.
Speaker 7: Okay, I was gonna wait. So look, they they they went all out to get the worst record in the league last year. They ended up with the fifth pick, which again was the worst scenario in that situation and by far the most likely. It's like forty seven point nine percent chance that if you have the worst record the league, that's where you're gonna land. So it's not a shock that's where they landed. Now, what did they pay in terms of player development? Maybe bad habits kicking in, you know that sort of thing. How much they did they stunt the growth of you know, recent draft picks that are on that roster that we're in that rotation. You know, those are all questions that need to be discussed internally much less you know, on radio.
Speaker 11: Shows, you what not.
Speaker 7: But I think realistically, you know, they're not going to make win now grades this summer. I mean that just be silly. I think realistically, like we're looking at a team that's probably going to still land pretty high in the lottery. Now if you land fifth or sixth, you know, I'm not looking at the table right in front of me. But to get to your point, the fear isn't necessarily oh my gosh, we might have fifth or six pick in the drafting in it so we might get leapfrogged a couple of times. And you know, if you're if you're seventh especially, might get leap fogged a couple times. Land ninth. That would be a disaster. It would be a total disaster. Obviously, it's in the ninth overall pick to the Oklahoma City Thunder, So there's a there's a lot of gray here, a lot of nuance here. But to just repeat the approach that they took last year, I mean, I think you're kind of giving up on the young guys on the roster if you want to do that.
Speaker 1: So if they if they, if they want to go about their business of losing while being serious about trying to compete, I feel like it means they have to move off of marketing and probably Kessler, because if if Lowry plays seventy five games, if Walker plays seventy seventy five games, if Colin Sexton plays seventy seventy seventy five games, and John Collins was best, your point about Will is absolutely spot on. Okay, with a coach who has shown that he can maximize whatever talent he has if you allow him to maximize it. I see a team that could win thirty thirty five games in the West. I don't see a team that's making the playoffs or hanging a banner. But I see a team as presley constituted, and certainly if they draft a kid at five, they can step in and play right away, and they play all the vets and they do their best to win games. I see a team that can win between thirty and thirty five games, which puts you right in that area of potentially not being in the top seven or top eight, which is the worst possible outcome that we could actually come up with. So if they are going to do the thing where it's like, no, we are going to put our best foot forward and try to compete, I think it means they have to move off of Larry and probably Walker.
Speaker 7: I would agree that, you know, they if they reach the conclusion that hey, we have got an a reasonable conclusion we've got to at least be in the top eight, that there's you know, they need to address some of the uh win probability issues. I had to put it lately via the trademarket, And I mean, do you think anybody in that roster is untouchable. No, Lowry wasn't untouchable last year. Now, their asking price for Lowry was I think other teams would say way too high, you know. Does that come down this year? I don't know. Again, I think those are discussions that need to be had. I don't think they asking price for for Sexton, or for Collins, or for the Clarkston or is too high. You know. Kessler, to me, that's a tough one though, because he absolutely is a guy who you could envision as the defensive backbone of a good team, you know, four or five years down the road. He you know it, It's not hard to look at Kessler, not not as like your franchise player obviously, but as a piece of a foundation that you can build upon. So that one's tougher for me.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I love Walker, I love Larri, Larry's good man. Like I'm just trying to understand how this thing can work with the long term game in mind, because to your earlier point him, they're a marathon away from the better teams in the Western Conference. I mean, Chris Finch after the Minnesota loss, He's like, hey, there are thirteen teams in the West. They're going to be trying to compete for home court. And it's like, oh, okay, so it's probably the Jazz and the Blazers that aren't. But because they're so far away, part of me believes they're probably going to look at some of the stuff and keep the you know, the mindset of we are three, four or five years away from being able to compete with the top teams, and maybe that does make Walker expendable, even though I agree with you that's a tough, tough decision to make because he's been so good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and again, like they would listen to him last year, but they were asking for at least a couple of first round picks, and you know, and and then if you get into the discussions around now, what are the quality it picks? Blah blah blah. You know, the lottery things also interesting to me because honestly, if you're going to trade him, was he more or less valuable in the trade market before you gave him a full blown max contract? You know? And I don't know, and I don't know, I don't know what his value would be in the trademarket.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 7: I do think it's like Austin Ange has to find out doesn't mean he has to trade him, but he has to find out what the value is. And I'm not sure, you know, And just like you can't really evaluate Marketing's performance last year. I mean, it's such a weird situation, or they had nothing to play for. They're clearly tanking. You know, he's out of the line up every couple of games just because they're like, hey, if you play, we might actually actually win this one. But he had a bad year. I don't know, man, I think I think some teams might have trouble figuring out what his value would be.
Speaker 1: So with the news today that the New York Knicks have moved off of Tom Thibodeau, you know, after going to the Eastern Conference finals, after winning fifty games in back to back years, making the playoffs for the last five the last three years, the most playoff wins belong to Boston, Denver, and New York is third. It's another example of an impulsive owner who'd rather play the kazoo for his dumb band that actually continue to build something that means something, and so where where I think and look to be fair. Only time will tell if this is going to work. But bottom line is you need players. Knicks app players. The Jazz don't. But what Ryan has elected to do is kind of the anti Dolan approach. And Will Hardy, who's he won thirty four percent of his games, is under contract and forever and now he's locked in his front office guys that you know, I believe will be around for a long long time. Only time will tell if this is the right approach. And the bottom line is you do need players, But Ryan has elected to believe in the people he's hired and give them stability moving forward and playing the long game to try to build this thing.
Speaker 7: You know, I think good ownership is hiring good people and trusting them to do their job and supporting them without meddling. You know, Jim Dolan is not a good owner. It's just not. The next have been good the last four years, you know, Leonne Rose, I would say done a good job all things considered, But I mean, I just I don't understand firing tips here, and there'd been noise about his job maybe being in jeopardy for really going back months now for a lot of the season, but after an Eastern Conference Finals birth and though maybe they I would hope they know who their next hire is going to be, I don't know that. I've not even heard like really informed speculation on that yet. But just firing TIBs and then by figuring it out on the fly that doesn't seem to be a good plan. Now, good luck getting any idea of what their actual plan might be, because you know what. You know what the Jazz do, and almost every team in the league does it, with the exceptional one. When they make a major decision, they have the people who made the decision, or a press conference where they can be asked about things, where they can explain why, where they can explain their vision. The Knicks don't do that at all. And I don't understand that either. There's a lot of things that don't understand about the Knicks, but you just you're in the midst of your most successful run in at least a quarter of a century, and then you say you need to get a new voice. Okay, And honestly, I really don't even want to hear from Leon Rose or Jim Dolan. What I really want to get is Jalen Bruns's honest thoughts on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, for sure.
Speaker 1: He was asked about coach coach Tibbeau after Game six, and I thought he gave a really supportive, salient answer.
Speaker 2: I wonder how much of this and this is I guess it was.
Speaker 1: Haberstrow hopped on yesterday and pointed out because I asked him. I asked Tommy yesterday, what does the offseason look like in New York? Because I think they've got a cat problem. And the cat conundrum is interesting because there's so much to like about his game and then he just he doesn't close out, doesn't guard. You can put him in pick and roll and he looks like he's never done it before. And Tom brought up this whole Leon Rose worldwide West Karl Anthony toown CAAA relationship that had gone back to Kentucky basically, and there's a case to be made that this is the second time. Maybe Kat wasn't thrilled we're playing playing for Tom. He played for him in Minnesota too. Is there anything there? I mean, you bring up the Jalen portion and Jaen is more important than Cat is he just is to the Knicks. But do you think there's anything with this Cat thing that you know, was a theory that's being thrown around.
Speaker 7: The thought cross my mind. Definitely cross my mind. And I'll be honest with you. When they traded for Cat, one of the first things that I wondered was how is that going to work with Tibbs? Because it was not pretty in Minnesota. You know, I've reached out to some people to try to get some clarity there. I don't have that right now, so I don't want to get too far out, you know, kind of over my skis. But yeah, definitely the thought cross my mind. You know, I'll also say this, there are people in Minnesota who think that the Knicks traded for Cat is a stepping stone to make another trade. So, you know, it'll be interesting to see. There's gonna be a whole lot of big splashes made this summer. It'll be interesting to see if Cat's part of another one or if he's back in New York next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, look, I think they we're ahead of schedule by making to the Eastern Conference finals, but I think if they have premonitions of going beyond it, they've got serious, you know, issues with their roster.
Speaker 2: They don't have depth either.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of people are saying, you know, and I said this too, because Kat and Jalen and everybody they just look gassed in the fourth. So I talked to you about can you find ten minutes for Delon right or Precious Achuwa?
Speaker 2: But like their bench is bad.
Speaker 1: I understand what Tom looks down his bench and is like, I've got to play these guys.
Speaker 2: They're so much better. Do you think they move off of Kat?
Speaker 1: I mean, you think that's a realistic thing and try to reformulate something different.
Speaker 7: I think he would have to be an awfully big splash, an awfully big splash for that to happen. But we will see, you know, I will say this. I've talked to people in the NIXT front office and kind of the joke there is why do we go through all this trouble looking for players knowing the TIBs isn't going to play but seven anyway? So that's fair, you know, you can kind of chicken an egg that all you want. But their depth was not have quality depth. And listen, I think macal Bridges is a very good player. Certainly giving up five picks for him was a questionable move what stood.
Speaker 1: Out most and maybe we need to talk about well, you know this because you covered him. I mean, Rick Carlisle is he's so good, you know, and it's been interesting listening to him after both the Knixt series and the Cavs series just kind of say we're flying right now, Like these teams just ran into a group. That's what stood what stood out most about the way the Pacers were able to figure it out they started ten and fifteen. And your thoughts on the fact that Rick Carlile once again is back in the NBA Finals with a roster that nobody thought had a chance.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think just what stands out the most to me is just how unique their style of play is and how good they are at it and how well suited their personnel is for it. Like they play fast and they it's wide open spaces and it's perfectly tailored to Tyrese Halliburton. And you know, I see the roots of this whole thing in the Mavericks twenty eleven championship season when Kid handed the keys over to Jason Kidd and kind of really adapted and changed his offensive philosophy. And this is like an extreme version of that where it's Rick's not calling plays. He has created a system and a scheme and he's trusting a brilliant offensive playmaker to run it at extraordinarily fast paced and it's working, wonders. And I tell you what, man, You know, I scratched my head about Tims getting fired, but it was a just appalling how horrible the next transition defense was in that series? How many times did the Knicks score and three or four seconds later Pascal Siaka just ran a go route. He's laying it up on the other end for sure, Like how many fast breaks were there? And give the Pacers a lot of credit for that too, but like, my goodness, how many fast breaks can the team have off of a may bucket? But again, that's just like the Pacers are relentless and very well constructed to run that style of offense from the quarterback you know, to all the other guys you know, sack them in particular, but the other guys as well, who were spaced in the floor and finishing plays.
Speaker 1: All right, Tim, Before I set you loose, there is the finals that's last to be played. We've already launched into so many dramatic offseason storylines that we forget. Starting Thursday, Oklahoma City and Indianapolis will do battle for the right to be the NBA champ. It feels hard, almost impossible for anybody to slow down this OKC train based off of what they've done all year. Quite frankly, twenty nine to one against the East. Can Indiana make it interesting?
Speaker 2: Do you think.
Speaker 7: I would have to pull the kind of miracle that he did in twenty eleven when he out coached Eric Spolstrom, not saying he can't do it, but saying it's going to be tough.
Speaker 1: All right, man, Well enjoy the trip. I'm glad you have accurate and enough footwear, and I'm glad I've learned this information about you today. Good insight on the show and we'll chat soon.
Speaker 7: Thanks, Tim, appreciate it, Ada, All right.
Speaker 1: Tim McMahon covers the covers the NBA, for ESPN covers the jazz. He's the jazz guy for the Worldwide Leader at ESPN Underscore at McMahon is where you find him on Twitter. He did write a book about Luka Dotcic called Luka Dotcic in the Curse of Greatness, and the links are up on his Twitter page at ESPN. Underscore McMahon tim stops by today courtesy of our good friends at IFA Country Stores. Summer vacations in warmer weather are just beyond the horizon. As the days grow longer and brightly colored flowers begin making their appearance, It's time to start planning and applying Step two of I Phase four plus annual long care program designed with a vital blend of macro and micro nutrient so IFA is Step two fertilizer promotes strong roots and vibrant colors in your yard. At IFA and IFA Dot co Op. Big news of the day today is the New York Knicks have fired Tom Thibodeau after the best run the team has had in literally twenty five years.
Speaker 2: So a lot of NBA news.
Speaker 1: Austin Ange's press conference yesterday has been a big topic of conversation throughout the course of the news cycle in the market. And we have the NBA Finals beginning on Thursday night between Oklahoma City and Indiana. Stanley Cup Finals tomorrow Edmonton, Florida, a rematch of a barn burner for series last year for the right to lift Lord Stanley's Cup. Just a few weeks away from the NBA Draft and also the NHL draft. Of course, the Utah Hockey Club Utah Mammoth, I'll get there receiving better luck in year one of their existence in our market than the Utah Jazz have in basically fifty years. So we'll have some good draft coverage for you guys, both NHL and NBA style as we kind of wait to see what the soft season is going to look like. Some good stuff from Sarah Todd today who stopped by earlier. Tim McMahon from ESPN was our guest as well as the conversation surrounding the Utah Jazz now turns to the offseason. Porter, I've not heard from you on this, so I'm gonna pose this to you the.
Speaker 2: Way I posed it to Tim. Okay.
Speaker 1: So if we operate off the premise, then what Austin Ams said yesterday in response to Sean's question about his philosophy on tanking, when he said that you will not see that this year. If that's going to be the approach, what do they need to do in order to make sure this roster is simply comprised of players that you are willing to play when they're healthy. Every night at the same time understanding the dynamic and play that if you do win thirty to thirty five basketball games and coming up next May, We're all in front of our couches watching Mark Tatum pull out lottery picks again, and he says, with the ninth pick in the twenty twenty six NBA draft, the selection goes to the Utah Jazz, which means it actually goes to the Oklahoma City Thunder. That is worst case scenario with where the Jazz are at right now in this project, in this long game rebuild, losing a top ten pick to the team in the West you are already looking up to on every single level would be a catastrophic misstep.
Speaker 2: It just would.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna pose it to you the way I post it to Tim. If you want to hold onto your draft pick and also approach the season with integrity and not be unseerious about winning, I think you have to move on from Larry and Walker.
Speaker 2: I really do.
Speaker 3: You have to move on from a good share of your remaining roster. Now you could talk me into holding onto one of those pieces and frankly, Spence moving on from some of the younger pieces that you're maybe not entirely sold on. You could obviously move on from expiring contracts and and uh, the John Collins situation, that's one where you got to assume he's gonna he's gonna take that player option. So it leaves the Jazz with, you know, not all that many options. But yeah, they you know, they would have to move on from a good share of their rotation players in order to kind of toe that line and still avoid the situation that you just laid out Spence, which which is worst case scenario there is. There is really no circumstance where you can, you know, in good faith, give Will Hardy this roster and say hey, go do your thing and then win thirty three games teams and lose your top ten pick. That's something you just you can't let happen. And I don't think the Jazz are going to allow that to happen. But you know, there does seem to be an mo in the front office that changed yesterday. If you take them for what they say, face vote.
Speaker 1: So one of the interesting things to watch out for, based off of the conversations we've been having is Walker Kesseler is extension eligible. Okay, so I keep pointing to the summer of twenty twenty six as opposed to this offseason, because the Jazz could protection potentially have over seventy million dollars in cap space in twenty twenty six. Okay, so there's a fourteen point six million dollar free agent cap hold for Walker next season, but they could extend him this off season. However, do you want to extend him if you plan on moving him? It would be a lot easier to trade him if you didn't extend him. And also, how does that land with Walker?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 1: Remember, and by the way, I want to be clear, I've never received information to coroborate what I'm about to say, but it is a narrative that's been out there ever since Hayward left for Boston that when the Jazz told Gordon we are not extending you, you're going to play out the final year of your rookie deal and then you go bet on yourself and if you can go get a max deal, then we'll decide if we want to match it, which by the way, is completely within the rights of the organization. It's just not really a gesture of goodwill for a player that you really want around.
Speaker 2: And there are a lot of people that believe.
Speaker 1: When the Jazz elected not to sign Hayward to the extension when he was eligible, that was the beginning of the end.
Speaker 2: That was the beginning of.
Speaker 1: The wheels going down the road where Gordon didn't feel appreciated, didn't feel like the Jazz wanted him. So he goes and gets his offer sheet from Charlotte. The Jazz max matched it, which meant Gordon was here for another four years. And then, of course Gordon Stay turned into a really good player. He was an All Star. I think a lot of people forget how good Gordon was here during his last season playing for Quinn. So the Jazz elect not to extend Hayward plays for the team, gets the max offer sheet from Charlotte, the Jazz match that offer sheet.
Speaker 2: Gordon is here for another four years.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of people that draw straight line between the decision not to extend him and Gordon's decision to leave.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I believe that, but a lot of people do.
Speaker 1: My whole thing with that has always been he wanted to go play for his college coach, and he wanted to sit at a different lunch table, and he wanted to play in a bigger market. He wanted to be a guy that was known as a star for a team like the Celtics instead of a team like the Jazz. I don't know how much of his decision to leave had to do with the Jazz decision not to extend them, but there are people that believe that to be true. So this Walker thing is interesting, and I think it becomes more interesting based off of Austin Ange's comments yesterday, because if you're going to hold on to your draft pick, which you have to do in my opinion, as you're trying to piece together a team and build a team, certainly in a city like Salt Lake, it does have complications. No matter what the spin is from the team, it does have complications. We have several example of players that the Jazz have literally acquired that have been like, I'm not going to live there, I don't want to play there. Like It's happened multiple times over the years.
Speaker 2: It just has.
Speaker 1: The Jazz have been able to bring in free agents in the past that have worked out, so it's not like it's never worked.
Speaker 2: Okay, But if the.
Speaker 1: Jazz want to hold on to their pick, a top eight protected pick that goes to Oklahoma City. So it's very simple if you're listening, like, what is he talking about. If the Jazz are not in the top eight next year, their draft pick conveys to Oklahoma City. It's the Derek Favors trade. It is this build that's always become due. But after next year it goes to a situation where it would be two second round picks that are conveyed to Oklahoma City. And you can stomach that. I mean, certainly there are several examples, both locally and around the NBA of plenty of second round picks that have been awesome. The best player in the world right now was a second round pick in Nicola Jokic. You would prefer to keep your capital, but you certainly could stomach sending a couple of second round picks to Oklahoma City as opposed to like the ninth or the tenth pick in the draft where they took Taylor, where they took Cody. So, in my opinion, in this process of trying to build a team, you have to do it through the draft, and then once you've been able to do it through the draft, you can attract other players that might want to come play with some of the good young players you have. It's why the Cooper flags things does sting San Antonio, which is not an appealing market in the NBA. Chris Paul signs to play with one but Yamaaron Fox the green light to trade.
Speaker 2: You play with Victor Wembanyama.
Speaker 1: Like you get a Victor Wembanyama, you get a Cooper Flag. You start to build, and people around the league see what you're building, and then agents are more inclined to talk about their clients playing for you because you have something. Right now, the Jazz have nothing. Nobody's watching Isaiah call. You're in calling their agent be like, dude, I want to go play with that kid. So, in this process where even though the Jazz have a really good head coach signed for a long time at a front office with a pedigree that speaks for itself, locked in for a long time, you gotta have players. You have to have horses. It doesn't matter who your coach is if you don't have horses. It doesn't matter who your front office is. If you don't have players. It doesn't matter who your owner is if your roster is void of talent. So, in order to continue to build, the draft pick next year to me, has to be basically your first priority. So if you're going to dance this dance where Austin Ainge says we're no longer tanking, that's off the table. And you're going to stay away from holding players out when they're healthy, which the Jazz were literally fine for last year one hundred grand. And if you're going if you're going to stay away from okay, you want us to play our guys Will Walker Kessler shooting seven threes a night. Now, if you're going to no longer be unseerious about competing and actually approach the thing with some integrity and hold on your pick. Walker might have to go because he's that good, and Lowry might have to go because he's that good. Like I see a roster right now that you know, and we'll see what happens with the draft picks. They have the potential of adding four draft picks to the team. They're gonna have some decisions to make on some of these players if they're going to add four new rookies to the team, and we'll get to an interesting dynamic involving some of the young players in just a minute. But if if essentially you run it back with a top five pick. Maybe it's vg Edgecomb, maybe it's tre Johnson and twenty first overall pick. And again, first round picks are guaranteed they're gonna be on your team. They're already cappled in place with the Bobby Marks breakdowns, and then we'll see what happens with the second rounders are undrafted guys. And Walker Kessler plays seventy seventy five games, and Larry Markinen plays seventy seventy five games, and Colin Sexton is playing every night, I think it's probably time to say thank you Jordan Clarkson, but his best years quite frankly, have been over for a while. I'll throw John Collins, who, in stretches, was actually the best player on the team last year, who had so If Walker Kessler, Larry Markin and John Collins, Colin Sexton, if those four will say those four vets. If they play seventy to seventy five games, and Isaiah builds on a solid rookie campaign, and Keyante decides he wants to watch tape and learn how to play defense, and Taylor comes back and he's healthy, and Cody, I don't know, shows a Polse and Philipowski shows that last year was not an aberration. I see a team that can win thirty five games in the NBA next year, and that puts you directly in peril of losing your pick. What I'm saying is it's not possible for them to do both with the way the team is constructed now. So based off of what Austin said yesterday, I've got to imagine they're making phone calls about Larry. I've got to imagine they're willing to take phone calls on Walker. Walker's a tough one to let go because honestly, between the Rudy and Donovan trades, they have.
Speaker 2: Not aged as well as people thought that they would.
Speaker 1: Now, the jury is still out because there are plenty of picks that have to convey. The best player you got for Donovan Mitchell, who at the time was a twenty five year old superstar player just entering his prime, was Larry is very good. Obaji played pretty well for Toronto, didn't really work here for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: Colin has been solid.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: He's a guy that at least brings energy and plays hard every night, and when he gets going offensively, he can get some things happening. He's not a great defensive player either. The Jazz are so small with the guards they elect to play. Like when you watch the finals, watch the wing players from Indiana and Oklahoma City. They're all like three or four inches taller than any of the wing players on the Jazz roster. They need length and athleticism on the perimeter to provide some defensive pushback. Remember, the Jazz have not just been the worst defensive team in pro basketball for the past two years, they've been like historically bad, and they've got a great rim protector. What does that tell you the guards, it's the perimeter players. It's the guys on the wings that are bad at point of attack. They're not big enough to bother other opposing players. That's got to change. So the Walker thing is tough. But again, he's too good, and so is Marketing and Collins at times and Sexton at times. These guys are good NBA veteran players that if you let them play seventy to seventy five games, you will not be in a position to have a top eight draft pick, which you badly need next year. More so than anything else, that has to be your priority because if you give yourself another bite of the apple. Maybe the Dallas Maverick luck or the San Antonio Spurs luck finally shines on you and the aj Debanci kid.
Speaker 2: You guys are gonna watch a.
Speaker 1: BYU is generationally special, and if the Jazz are able to make that happen, then we have a different conversation about all of it. If they were able to move up to one this year, we have a different conversation about all of it.
Speaker 2: That's all. You need.
Speaker 1: One bolt of lightning, one ping pong ball bouncing your way changes the entire direction of your project. So you have to put yourself in a position to capitalize on where you are in the process to make sure you keep the assets you need to keep building. And that has to mean marketing is on the table. It has to mean Walker's on the table. It has to mean, quite frankly, everyone's on the table. And then you kind of see where you go. One more thing before we catch a break, because this is interesting. Bobby Mark sent out his offseason guide today for the Jazz, and he outlined where the Jazz are at with their economic model currently in a spreadsheet.
Speaker 2: Next year.
Speaker 1: Could be I'm not saying it is, but next year the Jazz have So next year the following players technically are on the clock, and I'll tell you why. So next year, Taylor Hendrix has a six point one million dollar number. He's that's his money, and it's guaranteed. It's fully guaranteed all year. The year after next, So twenty twenty six, twenty twenty seven, the Jazz have a team option on Taylor for seven point eight million dollars. Next year, Cody Williams five point seven million dollars, the Jazz have a team option the year after that Cody for six million. Walker is under contract with a guarantee. I've referenced his cap hold earlier, so is cap hold in twenty twenty six. Twenty twenty seven is fourteen point six. As I referenced earlier. They could extend him this offseason, but part of me feels like they're not going to do that because if you extend him and pay him what he deserves, quite frankly, it'll make him harder to trade.
Speaker 2: It'll make him harder to move.
Speaker 1: They might just do what they did with Heyward and say you're playing out the final year of the deal and then take calls to try to move him. Heyantay George on the books for four point two mill next year the year after you guessed it, team option six point four mil. Bryce Sensiba on the books two point six mil. Next year, team option year after four point eight, Isaiah Callier on the books two point six team option two point seven the year after that, meaning this Taylor, Cody, Keyante, Bryce, and Isaiah are on the clock. Next year's the massive year for all five of those players. Because the year after or if the Jazz have team options and they own the decision as to whether or not these guys continue to develop in this ecosystem or they go play somewhere else, some of them might not not even the NBA guys. Some of them might be G League guys or overseekers. These guys, honestly, there's a world that exists where Isaiah Collier and Keyante George, the two young guards that Jazz fans seem to be somewhat excited about, do not even make Oklahoma Cities roster. I'm serious, go look at it. First of all, tell me who they play in front of. Cason Wallace is like the eighth man on okc's roster. He's light years ahead of both those players. So bottom line is this, there are miles to go with talent additions on the roster that are badly.
Speaker 2: Needed to make this thing relevant.
Speaker 1: And if you're going to go all in on being serious about competition next year and maintain the ability to keep your draft capital, we could see a roster sure that is stripped down by Austin Ainge this offseason. Vegas has already released odds for the next head coach of the New York Knicks. This is so wild, it says Mike Malone. It's supposed to be Michael Malone. We're not supposed to call him Mike Malone. Michael Malone your favorite. One to one, then it's Jay Wright, Jeff Van Gundhy. I wonder if Jeff would even take that phone call. Uh, then some others including Rick bruntson Jalen's dad. I wonder if he's gonna be able to hang on to that job he got.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: We'll get back to some NBA. But time now for some soccer. Been excited for this all day when I saw his name on the rundown. Let's welcome in the head coach over Al Salt Lake Pablo Mastruetti on a Tuesday afternoon. Pob's my guy, so good to talk to you. Happy tuesdaypoint. Oh no, oh no, is it?
Speaker 2: Is it Trey? We got traded at it? Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, sorry, Pablo sends his regrets.
Speaker 2: Is he dodging me?
Speaker 8: No, he says he'd be He'd be happy to get on with you another time this week. But he's a he's literally been in a three hour meeting trying to obviously get some things moving ahead, moving forward, getting things done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and some things have to move forward real quick. Do you feel better about your Denver Nuggets since it's been the only team in the West that made okay see even kind of uncomfortable.
Speaker 8: No moral victories? I mean, am I proud of how they withstood the onslaught that is, the OKAC Thunder and Shay Gilles Alexander sometimes known as Shameless Grifter Alexander. Yeah, but the Nuggets just have so many problems and issues of their own. It's kind of a hollow victory.
Speaker 7: I guess.
Speaker 1: Let me follow up real quick. You said no moral victories, right, I did say that, all right? Moving over to our local soccer club that has gone seven matches.
Speaker 2: Now, without a win. Look, man, you know I love you guys.
Speaker 1: You know I want to give you space here and try to support the endeavor and try to spin things as positive as possibly can. Trey, I think this is as bad as it's been in a number of years. Is that kind of a sentiment over there with the club?
Speaker 8: Certainly from a results perspective. Yeah, the last seven game winless run was in twenty sixteen, at the tail end of the Jeff Gasar era. For those who participated in Pablo's postgame media zoom on Saturday, you could sense the frustration. But you know, Pablo has been very consistent for the last I don't know, man, a couple months, and I think he does, honestly feel like the performances have been there, But it is moments, like he always says, and whether it's a mistake in the back, an unlucky bounce, a bad refereeing decision, or just a lack of quality in the attacking third where you know, box the box, He's please. But that game the other night, I know it was a rough watch and there's no glad and no a Mecca and no Diogo, and you can make excuses and you got a lot of kids out there, and you know, Noel Kaliskin had been left on an island with Joseph Painhill all night, and you know, on one particular occurrence, he makes a play on the ball and the ball scorts back to Joseph's feet and he's a world class player and he gets the goal. So it's frustrating, but I think the encouraging thing for somebody like me that's been through this a million times it feels like, is that we have seventeen games left. You have twenty games left if you count League's Cup, maybe a few more, and the guys are still together. But clearly the summer window that opens July twenty fourth, and you know, we don't have a lot of games in June, so there is some time that LAFC game on June twenty fifth is going to get moved, likely to September because of their participation World Cup. So things are kind of going to be backloaded, and they're going to be homeloaded basically from July first on. So I think there's an opportunity, but there's just no margin for error either.
Speaker 2: Does that mean you guys will have two games in the month of June.
Speaker 8: That is correct June fourteenth at home, when we honor Nick Romondo in June twenty eighth in Kansas City, and that is because the league is taking some international breaks for both the Club World Cup and.
Speaker 11: The Gold Cup.
Speaker 1: Jeez, well, that gives you a lot of time to reflect, a lot of time to train.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Bill Simmons has this theory that started in nineteen ninety nine. He calls it the Patrick Ewing theory and it's predicated on the nineteen ninety nine New York Knicks where Patrick Ewing got hurt and then somehow, some way Marcus can be figured out how to play center at a high level. Larry Johnson, Spree, Allen Houston. That group went to the NBA Finals even though Ewing was hurt. So he has this Patrick Ewing theory where at times your best player gets hurt or is unavailable and the group just finds a way to kind of come together, and the collective effort of the group without the star player is something at times that can manifest results that nobody sees coming.
Speaker 2: Our guy ZK.
Speaker 1: Chris Camaronnie on the program has had this walking line this year when I ask him, what does RSL do well, he says, they Diego Luna well, and that's about it. So Diego makes his way to the US men's national team for the World Cup. How long is he going to be gone, Trey, He's.
Speaker 8: Going to be gone, depending how the US does. I could see him being gone until June or sorry, July tenth.
Speaker 7: Let's say, all.
Speaker 1: Right, so you're going to play at least four maybe five matches without Diego, and even if it's not Diego scoring, he creates most of the chances.
Speaker 2: Our guy, Big Willie goals.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Big Willie got his first goal, but it was due to the service of da Go.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: He has been everything and sometimes the only thing in the attack for this club.
Speaker 2: How do you make up for his absence.
Speaker 8: It's gonna be hard. Obviously, you're gonna be missing Dominic Martuk during this month of June, as well as Diego, Luna, Gozo and Ripel. They are in international duty right now, but they'll be back for the fourteenth. Diogo Gonsalvez, who you know has been hurt and out, he will be back on the fourteenth. So you're gonna have to find a way to do something without the gravity and quality that Diego Luna provides and could it be Willie, could it be Ari? Could it be young Aiden has Arkani who made his debut seventeen year old, Like, you know, our best three, our best two players this year have been probably Gozo and Luna and you know, eighteen and a twenty one year old. So you do need some veterans to step up. Johnny Russell presumably will be fit and able to contribute more minutes. He and his longest hint of his brief tenures so far on Saturday night in La. So it is going to take a committee because you know, nobody's walking through that door for at least another, you know, six weeks.
Speaker 1: I'm down, Rick Patino, all right, let me because your reference Diogo and Jason on the show last week broke the news that Diogo was left off the road trip that included Austin in LA. But it was not because of health, it was because of disciplinary reasons. You guys don't think of announced anything official. Can you shed some light on what happened?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Basically, in his first training session back, I think Pablo was kind of disappointed with how let's say, maybe a lack of vigor that Diogo was taking his rehab and his approach to healing and getting back into the mix, and Pablo made the decision to leave them home. So disciplinary may have been a strong word. It was kind of internal, I guess, if you want to look at it that way, And it was really just Pablo's disappointment. And Diego trained last week with the Monarchs. By all accounts, he had a great attitude and he fought through it well, and he was back with RSL today and he'll train with RSL obviously like the next two weeks and get ready for the fourteen.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, let's stay in this space for a moment, because to me, in my opinion, track the next few matches, we'll say a lot about Diogo, and my hope is he looks at the current situation, understands that he is literally the only designated player on the roster, and realizes that Diego's gone for a minute and the other pieces you reference are gone for a minute. This could be his time to actually finally step up and say, no, I am not this disappointment that everybody believes that I am right now, And let's be clear, everybody believes that he is right now I mean, I'm sure there's quote unquote internal belief in what he could be. But at some point, man, you just roll your eyes at that stuff and say, show me during a game, please, that you want to earn your paycheck, like this could be an opportunity for.
Speaker 2: Him, you know what I mean?
Speaker 8: Yep, I think you're absolutely right, Spence, and I think you know we're gonna find out what he's made of, right is he does he want to come back with a chip on his shoulder and diego gone like you said, and be like, hey, guys, I'm the man, I'm the number ten, follow me, And that's what I think everybody wants to see. I do think the locker room still believes in him as a human and as a well abandoned him in that locker room. So hopefully, hopefully we see the man infestation of that obviously on the fourteenth right beyond.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: And look, if he is as bright as Pablo says he is, and as you say he is, and Kurt and everybody else, if he really has that that that skill set, maybe it just maybe it does just take one or two matches where finally something clicks and he's been over in MLS for over a year now, and he gets what it's like to play in this league. Like if he does have the skill set you guys claim that he has, maybe it is a scenario where one or two games where things are going through him and it actually works, could be a conduit to the rest of the year. I guess that's an optimistic way of looking at it. But it's not nothing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you're right, and I think everybody from Pablo, Kurt Jason, you know, the assistant coaches, the staff in the locker room, I think everybody does have that belief. Clearly nobody is more disappointed. And maybe let's call it a lack of production. What is he He's probably played twenty four games since arriving. I think he scored three goals, and it's been it's been a tough go and not just for him, for the whole club. And you know, I think the great thing about the culture under Pablo is the lack of internal finger pointing. Right, people don't blame each other. And this was the discussion inside the locker room Saturday night after a very disappointing loss to the Galaxy, and it started with Pablo delivering the message, and it was other guys stepping up and talking, but everybody was like, look, we just got to look in the mirror and figure out how to give one percent more because I think, you know, Saturday was maybe a drop off in quality as a viewer and as a fan from the Wednesday game against Austin, which clearly ended with a little bit of a ninetieth minute heartbreak with that goal conceded, but Saturday's Galaxy game as probably a rough watch that it was for the for the fans. The sports performance coach or whatever, he put out a note to the group yesterday saying that the outputs so the brown covered, the sprints, just the physical exertion was the highest of the year, and I think there's positives in that. It's not the be all end all, obviously, but you know, we had guys come in and fill in for Glad and a Mecca and other guys that were missing, and they work their pales off, and so that's got to be, I guess, the foundation to kind of build on as you you turn the page into the second half of the MLS season, and even though it's been ugly, there's a glut of teams in the in the Western Conference that are all right there within a couple of games, and if we can put a run together eight out of ten at home. I understand we've not been great at home previously this year, but you know, over the long haul has been home cooking has been healing for us. And so I think that's really going to be the focus for the group as we go from June fourteenth to August sixth, playing eight out of game, eight out of ten games at home, adding hopefully another DP and maybe another high level player depending on how the roster construct goes during the summer window. And yeah, I think there's a lot of I don't think the optimism or the hope is false, I guess, is what I'm trying to say. I mean, everybody's dealing in reality. Everybody understands that the results have not been good enough. But I think Pablo is very good about trying to figure out how to not throw the baby out with the bathwater, if you.
Speaker 1: Will, All right, So I've asked Pablo, Jason, and Kurt the following question, and I'm going to pose it to you. Chicho Wrongo seventeen goals, twelve assists, last year, Andres Gooms thirty goals, nine assists, and Oh Anderson Julio nine goals, three assists, Matt Crooks three goals, five assists.
Speaker 2: So what is fair?
Speaker 1: Because you've heard the criticism yours online as anybody, including my fourteen year old teenage nephew. You know, you hear from fans, you probably hear from media, you probably hear on this show that I view it as a failure of whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know exactly where to aim here.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to put out an instaple on my Twitter to have people vote on whose fault this is. But it has been a failure to not bring in reinforcements juxtaposed to all of the talented attacking players. You guys either sold or traded. Why what happened? Who's I'm not a who's to blame?
Speaker 7: Guy?
Speaker 2: So I'll ask you the same way I asked Jason.
Speaker 1: What's fair to say about the inability of ownership the front office talent evaluators? What have you to replace potentially the most exciting attacking group, honestly, that we may have ever had here last year?
Speaker 8: Yeah? No, Look, it's a fair question, right, And I think you start by saying for the eighty eighth time right like, there was no way to not do the Andres Gomez deal. Clearly, the chiecho situation, nobody anticipated the lack of production in the second half last season. I think you can say that when the reinforcements were brought in last August, and that's Dominic Marchuk, Lachlan Brook, Diogo, Gonsolvis and Javane Brown. And Javane clearly not an attacker, but the other three are that the anticipated assimilation and goal and assist production from those players in place of Andres that did not have not come to fruition. I think there's other you know, Gozo might be a bonus, but there were people that wanted Pablo to play Gozo a year ago, and Gozo wasn't ready. Gozo was running between Academy Monarchs US youth national team, so he had a very frazzled kind of twenty twenty four. But clearly we're seeing the benefit.
Speaker 7: Of that now.
Speaker 8: I think, you know, there's no one silver bullet that could have fixed all that goal production and all that productivity that you just outlined, not just Chico and Andres, but Crooks for sure. Anderson Julio. Clearly the Elias Manuel trade with New York did not work out as anticipated, the timing of Elias saying I object to being traded from New York to anywhere else in MLS. You know, that came at a time that was very difficult for us to find suitable replacement to go into Conca Calf. Then you had the Bosonic deal, thal Are on deadline day and you end up with Williegatta and Johnny Russell that week. So again I don't know that Kurt or Jason or Pablo, and they've talked about this publicly where the guys that have come in none of them are a like for like chi Cho replacement. Many of them and still be very much a Julio replacement. And so that really pushes our chips towards the summer window which opens July twenty fourth. Hopefully some guys get done and they're here and they're training for a full month before they are eligible to play on the twenty sixth, I think, which is Chicho's homecoming to America, first field in Sandy, and they're ready to hit the ground running. That I think is what Kurt and Pablo and Jason and Tony and the group are trying to get done right now for the summer.
Speaker 1: So if and I've talked about this on a couple of different occasions, So if the information that was out there as you guys were close to getting other players across the line during the primary transfer window. So if that's the case, it should be realistic to expect players across the line quickly when the summer window opens. And I believe that gives you thirteen matches, and some of that is League's Cup, right, So that's enough time to salvage something. But in the meantime you've got to tread water and start getting some points so you don't have to win your final seven matches, which you won't do anyway. Does it feel like this season has already lost, Tray, Does it feel like this season is already lost?
Speaker 8: I've heard you say that, I've heard Cameronie say that. I disagree with you, guys. I mean, there's seventeen regular season games left in a row.
Speaker 7: You shoot right up.
Speaker 8: The standings, so well, I look again, not lost a ton of margin for errors. I guess how I would put it. I'm very optimistic in the talent in the locker room the cohesion and maybe adding a couple of difference makers, you know, hopefully a Mechaanelli is back in four weeks and twelve, which is kind of prest reaction and trying to avoid a stress fracture back there, you know, in his fifth metatarsal on his right foot. So look, I'm not going to say it's lost. I think there's a lot of motivation in that group to try to try to reclaim some consistency and and not just be quality box to box, but be quality on the defensive end. In front of Cabral who's been amazing this year. Brian Vera is back, he looks to be full strength again. And then in the attacking end, we got to score goals. We've been shut out too many times, and that's where the frustration clearly has a contrast to where we were a year ago through seventeen games with Chico on fire and andres earning the transfer to France.
Speaker 2: All right, before I set you loose.
Speaker 1: Another interesting dynamic of multiple, multiple different interviews I've done is Pablo joining the show and saying that he's been informed by ownership that this whole ethos of developing and selling players is no longer the thing. They do not want to necessarily sell a young player who has a bright future that could make a difference here, and namely I'm talking about Diego.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Then Kurt joins the show the next week, and he was a little bit more noncommittal. Hey, look, this is a contextualized conversation where if you get the right nobody is untradeable, Babe, Ruth Will Chamberlain. We could keep going like nobody's untouchable, that doesn't exist, and if the rite offer comes along that makes sense for the club, I'd imagine you'd still do it. And then Jason joined the show and basically says what Pablo was alluding to was a.
Speaker 2: Little bit overstated, is how I'll put that. She had some light here on.
Speaker 1: What some people believe as a new approach and other people believe is not necessarily the deal.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think both are right, right, Like I think Pablo has been communicated to that, Hey, we're not just going to keep running young guys out there and try to flip them. Obviously we did well last year with Barajas and then Andre Spilmes, Right, but particular to Diego, Luna, it's it's you have it right, Like.
Speaker 7: There's a number.
Speaker 8: I don't know what the number is, but at some point somebody's an to us with a number that's going to make us think long and hard. Now that being said, I do believe that these Starts and others at the Miller Group are like, Okay, as we're learning how this league works and how this sport works around the world, what needs to happen for us to keep Diego Luna here for a long time and a Mecca and Nelly and Justin Glad And how do we build a core that we can then add around that will compete for trophies and win titles or win championships. That's their stated desire. So does it mean that we won't sell young players, No, of course, not like we cannot participate in the world marketplace if we don't eventually sell I don't know man Down or Gozo or Aiden or Owen Anderson or you know, we've got a million great young goalkeepers like those guys are going to kind of dictate their path. Not everybody is going to want to stay in Salt Lake for another fi fifteen years or ten years even, but there may be some guys that really do say you know what, I want you to build this club around me. I want to be the leader, and I want to bring hardware back to Salt Lake City, which clearly hasn't happened in fifteen years. So I think it's going to be maybe a little more of a hybrid approach than than what Kurt and Jason and Pablo were kind of tasked with over the last three years. We're clearly having the Blitzer relationship and the family of clubs that they either have majority or minority interest in, where there may be is more of an opportunity for volatile, more volatile roster construction and having players go in and out. But we're not going to sell Diego just to sell them like it's got to hit a number that makes sense. And again that's something Diego and his agent will very much participate in that conversation as well as Andres and his did, as Gavin Beavers and his did, as Fidel Barajas and his did. So it's a collaborative process still. So that is very much the consistent factor going forward in the world marketplace for what we believe will be several emerging classes that are fifteen years old, seventeen year old now that will have an opportunity to either play long term in MLS or maybe go chase a dream in South America or Europe or somewhere else overseas. It's very much a customized, I think, opportunity for each player at different stages.
Speaker 2: Sound grumpy man, all right, Well.
Speaker 8: Nikola Jokic is untradable. If you want to go in that direction.
Speaker 1: He's going to look so good in a Nick jersey. Good luck with Kat and Denver.
Speaker 8: Him and Michael Malone are reunited in MSG. I'll become a Knicks fan.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: Hi, buddy, thanks for the talent yatsoo, Thank you, pleasure, Ailes. Welcome in Ryan from the dish pros. Give him a call at eighth one four to two four dish where you can save a bunch of money on a bunch of different things.
Speaker 2: What's going on, Ry.
Speaker 7: Benk's thanks so much.
Speaker 11: As always, great opportunity right now, guys, ditch just unveloved this new promotion where you get set up and you get the two year offer which we've been offering forever, and where the price is guaranteed. You don't have to worry about price increases, any changes in your bill.
Speaker 7: But how about this.
Speaker 11: You can get three months of your service free as a new customer. This is the opportunity you're looking for. If you want to save some money, do an upgrade. Calls today, take advantage of the deals that we have including internet too. We have have these fantastic offers where you can get internet from thirty five to fifty bucks a month. I've got a half a dozen different providers available, so we have a solution for almost everyone to be calls today and get you set up and installed as early as next day. We'll throw in dinner at jcw's movie channels and get you the biggest, fastest TV are out there with the very best price and three months free. Call us four to four dish eight oh one four two four dish.
Speaker 1: Joining me live in studio a fourteen year old teenage girl.
Speaker 2: Uh, what what is this?
Speaker 1: Porter?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 2: What did he make you play? What is this?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 2: Madison beer? Madison beer? Also, what are we familiar? What do we watch it on television? I don't know. It was John Cena hosting wipe Out a minute ago.
Speaker 1: Which was no better than what we're watching now. It's some TNT movie. Dave Fox, you okay with headphones. With the headphones, but I'm making it work. You think this place could afford?
Speaker 2: Okay, did you say I got half an ear in Madison beer? Madison Beer.
Speaker 12: Yeah, fifteen minutes was the name of that song, all right, which is about how long I'm Gonna lie?
Speaker 1: That sounded like, uh like Sabrina Carpenter like pop?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 12: Well, it's I mean, it's it's basically E d M. But she's yeah, she's a pop artist. It's still got a couple of really good songs.
Speaker 2: When did you get into EDM music?
Speaker 12: I've been in my entire life really, it's so weird. Was new it was called new wave.
Speaker 2: They didn't have d M. Well, but it was disguise as a different name.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's funny. That's that's a good point. Now, so you've you've always been in like house music?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I like house music when you were DJ Dave Fox, and I also like, like, you know, eclectic, like ny.
Speaker 2: That kind of thing. Let's rock a little before you get out of it.
Speaker 12: I don't ever give you that you know, or or I'm a big enigma. Yeah, I'm a big enigma guy too.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you just run the spectrum. Yeah, Moby Moby. He does a little bit of everything.
Speaker 1: And and to be clear, you're not constantly taking molly and listening to d M house music.
Speaker 2: You are drug free?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, I'm just making sure because most people love DM they like the glow sticks and you know all that stuff.
Speaker 12: I just like I like the beat. I like the sound of it. You know, That's what I'm rocking when I'm driving down the screen.
Speaker 2: Well, you're an upbeat, positive guy.
Speaker 12: I've always been a glass half full always have you?
Speaker 2: Sure? All right? So are you? I'm always looking forward?
Speaker 1: Are you full about the Utah Jazz offseason project with a new basketball decision maker in charge?
Speaker 12: Well, if you're asking me about the higher I think it's good. I think it's too You know what, We spent hours after this announcement trying to figure out exactly what the hierarchy was, and Ryan Smith made it very clear that Austin Ange is the guy. He an Ange even you know, mentions that he did, you know, wisely mention that everything runs through Ryan. Ultimately he is, you know, after all, the governor of the team. So I and you know, it's not like anybody wants to throw out the old nepotism thing. Maybe he got a little help to this kicking off his career, but he's made a name for himself. We know that, and he's done a very good job of that. And if he hadn't gotten this job, he was sooner or later he's going to be a team president somewhere.
Speaker 2: It was just going to happen. That's the trajectory he's on.
Speaker 12: And I think Ryan even mentioned that that he thought that might have happened last year and that he missed his opportunities.
Speaker 2: So I think it's a good hire.
Speaker 12: It gives the organization even more voices, which they probably need.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much.
Speaker 12: I think we all know Danny doesn't want to, you know, kill himself working, and he shouldn't. He's earned, you know, whatever semi retirement you want to call it. Xani's been through some health things, so there's a lot of I mean, this is good, this is really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the nepotism thing.
Speaker 1: In fact, Porter, since Dave brought it up, I want you to take the opportunity to remind Dave and our audience what the official stance is of the drive as it pertains to nepotism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, officially from this show. They tell your sounden this too, Dave. No, nepotism can't win with him. Don't like it?
Speaker 2: Are we are anti nepotism on the show?
Speaker 12: Okay, but that's fine. But that's what I just said. By the way, my son's an attorney. He's not even in the media, so that's never.
Speaker 2: Going to choosing you of nepotism.
Speaker 12: I don't think your son's Walton in here anytime. So No, I've seen Andrew on the sideline before.
Speaker 2: With some Sibeliers, Fox not a box.
Speaker 1: I just want to be clear that the audience knows the official stance of the drive as we are anti neputible.
Speaker 12: Well, then I'm guessing you agree with me that there isn't a blatant piece of nepotism on this or do you not agree with me?
Speaker 2: No, Dave, it's a bit.
Speaker 1: It's a bit because our textures don't really understand that I'm being facetious because I have a famous father.
Speaker 2: It's a bit that we do on the show.
Speaker 1: But no, here's the deal, like in my case I am the famous, you are, No, here's the deal, like Danny's pedigree speaks for itself. He doesn't need me to stand up for him, And Austin's pedigree speaks for itself. He worked for the Boston Celtics for seventeen years. The Boston Celtics have been the pre eminent franchise in pro basketball, along with the Lakers, well really forever, but certainly the modern day edition of the Boston Celtics. After they made it out of that weird like an Swan Walker phase and started winning championships, Austin's had a front row seat for all of it. Brad Stevens is one of the most respected basketball people period, and Danny's been out of Boston now for I think four and a half almost five years. If Austin wasn't good at his job, they wouldn't have let him stick around just because he was Danny's kidd.
Speaker 2: He left.
Speaker 1: He he has a resume that indicates he has qualified for the job he's been hired for. I find it interesting that apparently Danny and Justin are reporting to Austin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that part's interesting. What if he just fires his dad that dad, you're playing too much golf.
Speaker 12: Here's the part I don't get is how And I don't know that much about how companies, you know, break down their levels of leadership. But is it the CEO generally the top guy? Yeah, I ahead of the president.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But look, here's here's the deal. Like get that. And Porter brought this up earlier.
Speaker 1: You know, Danny technically retired when he left the Celtics.
Speaker 2: That's true, he did.
Speaker 1: He wanted to move out here. So I've known the ages of my entire life. Okay, So the deal with Danny is he's not one of these guys that just says, you know, I I want time to spend with my family and then goes and travels to Eup for six months out of the year. Danny is a committed father and grandfather and wanted to move out to Utah because the majority of his kids are here.
Speaker 2: So he retires from Boston.
Speaker 1: And also remember he definitely had one heart attack, and I think he may have had two. He had heart issues at the end of his time with Boston, so he left to retire to take care of himself, to move out here to be with his family. And he did not move out here with a plan of working for Ryan. Ryan recruited Danny for months before this transaction actually became official, because Danny made it very clear. I want freedom to see my grandkids. I like my tea times at Riverside. I'm going to play golf, Okay, so if you want me involved.
Speaker 2: It really has.
Speaker 1: Been more or less a quasi senior advisor role. The title is CEO, but Danny's not a Desions Bank basketball center your day at seven am. No, he's present for games. I'm sure he's present for these workouts. I'm sure he's present in draft rooms. But I think this is even a further indication that Danny might take another step in the direction of just living the rest of his life the way he wants to live his life. And I don't begrudge anybody for paving a pat like if you don't know what it's like to be a parent and how badly you would do anything to make sure your children have a good path in life, I don't know what to tell you. I don't have an issue like so Ryan said. I didn't tell Danny that I was hiring Austin. No part of me believes that. No part of me believes that for a second. We'll get to the other parts of the stuff I don't believe either. But if Danny even had a small part to play in this decision, I don't have an issue with it at all, because he is going to potentially step away at some point entirely, and he knows that his kid's got a great opportunity to build a team with a job that will take care of he and his family forever.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's a great thing altogether.
Speaker 1: But again, the bottom line is Austin has a resume that indicates he has qualified for the job.
Speaker 12: Yes, and maybe in Danny's case, we're reading too much into the title of CEO. Now They'll take, for instance, a lot of guys who owned big companies, big corporations, The first thing they.
Speaker 2: Do when they retire is they become what the chairman of the board.
Speaker 12: Maybe, well, there isn't a chairman of the board for the Jazz, so maybe CEO is that version of chairman of the board in the case of you know how Ryan sets everything up. But again, getting back to your point, Austin's proven himself, and he's proven himself repeatedly this year. They stumbled towards the end, but they didn't panic like, oh, a certain team in New York did uh?
Speaker 2: Did they did? The Knicks? Did they fire their coach? The Knicks and the Jets? They fired my guy? They fired my guy? How much did you really like that guy? Though? Tom? I love them? Okay? Oh yeah, Tom forever? He was just assistant. Why don't they bring back Van Gundy?
Speaker 1: He's on the Vegas list of the Vegas released the list I saw, and Jeff is like, but Malone's the highest.
Speaker 2: Malone is one to one. He's a New York guy too. I didn't mean to turn right there on that.
Speaker 1: No, no, but but ultimately I just think it was a scenario where Danny didn't agree to come work for Ryan unless Ryan agreed that Danny was gonna be able to have freedom, and and I think that that kind of remains in place, and I think Austin's hiring indicates that freedom might be something Danny wants. Even more so, Austin has a reputation in pro basketball is somebody that understands a cap, somebody that's drafted well, somebody that's conducted workouts and has been able to find bit pieces to surround the star players that Boston had won and won championships. Austin Ainge has the championship bring okay, so like his pedigree speaks for itself. I do wonder where Xanak is with this entire thing, and honestly don't.
Speaker 12: Know, but I think I feel like Xanik after his last medical situation kind of referred to well, I didn't say he wanted to step back, but he's he's been through a lot as well, and maybe maybe this will help him.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's such a bad thing too. You know, there's a lot that.
Speaker 12: Goes into this when you're looking for players and you're scouting, and you're in you're in Europe, and you're all over the world, and hey, the more eyeballs you have, the better.
Speaker 2: So but I can't.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 12: I've never neither of us have had a conversation with Justin to ask him exactly what he feels about that. I thought it was interesting that, well, Danny Ainge was at the press conference yesterday, but he was kind of just in the back. He wasn't up on the podium, and that's the way it should have been. I mean, it was, you know, the guy that hired Austin and Austin but that's a good question. But I'm not as cynical as you to believe that. Maybe Ryan didn't tell Danny he had hired his son. Maybe no, wait, wait a second, maybe he told him, I'm hey, I'm having some conversations with your son, but didn't flat out tell him, oh I hired him until after he had hired it, or I'm going to hire him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But again it gets back to the glass half full. That's me.
Speaker 12: I'm you know, you're more America's guests, and it's you know, there's nothing wrong with that. We all have our I wish I believe, we all have our suspicion that Disneyland was a real place and not a theme park. Dave, I wish I believed in children's fairy tales too. I just what do you mean it's not a real place. I've been going there my whole life. It is a real place, and it's a lot of fun. I live in the real world.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the other part of me will exist where I'm a cynic and you're a glass at full.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think they're not gonna tank next year?
Speaker 12: You know, your buddy asked that question and the answer, let me ye, I think Austin's answer was like three words.
Speaker 2: You know, it said, you want to see that, you want to see this here? What's he supposed to say?
Speaker 12: He can't literally answer a question that's phrased that way with yeah, we're gonna tank again.
Speaker 2: Let's go. They got fined for taking they're not.
Speaker 12: The question that was asked was asked in such a way that that's the only possible response he could have gotten.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not as cynical as you to believe that he had to say what he had to say. He can't say yeah, we're tanking.
Speaker 1: So so, ultimately, just no part of me believes that they are going to put their best foot forward to try to win as many games as they can next year.
Speaker 2: It would actually be the direct wrong line to take.
Speaker 12: Hey, that part, I agree with you, But I don't begrudge Austin's answer.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: First of all, I thought it was an awesome SoundBite. I thought it was great. It was like I dropped them like you're not going to see that next year, and then boom silence.
Speaker 2: Everybody's like, Okay, good a new direction.
Speaker 12: But the fact that he invoked the word tanking into the question that made that answer perfectly honest in a way, because there are so many different ways to manipulate your record. And by the way, didn't we learn this year you don't have to finish dead last. Let's be honest. They just need to be in the bottom eight, right, Yeah, to preserve well.
Speaker 1: And that's the issue, I mean, as much as anything else this year, based off of where they're at, based off of what they need, and based off of how far away they are from not just the top teams in the West. I mean, there's not a move they could make to move them from like fifteen to eleven, let alone fifteen.
Speaker 2: It doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: So based off of how far away they are and how much they need, keeping that draft capital for next year's draft cycle is as big of a priority as anything else that they do this year.
Speaker 2: It just is, I agree, But there's other ways to do it.
Speaker 12: First of all, you play every single one of your young guys like they have been the one caveat in all this is what do you do with market Because if marketing is playing every game and these veterans are playing every game, it's going to be really hard to stay below eight. I'm not saying that they're going to be a playoff team, but that's going to be more difficult.
Speaker 2: So they're going to have to kind of massage that a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, that's manipulating minutes, or trade them. That's the only So if we're going to say that what Austin Ainge said yesterday was truthful and he meant it. And the approach now that there's a new boss, okay, because Ryan told us all he's the boss, and the edict from the boss is we are no longer unseious about competition. We are going to approach this with integrity. We're going to try our best. This roster is too good to be one of the bottom four or five teams. Now, if you move off of marketing and you can get a lot for Lowry, you can't.
Speaker 2: You can't get you know, a Paul.
Speaker 1: George Donovan Mitchell type hall, but you can get probably three to four picks, maybe a couple of young players.
Speaker 12: I don't even know if you want players, you just want picks really well, you have to really young players.
Speaker 1: You're right, you have to get you have to acquire players because you have to match salaries.
Speaker 12: But it also wave them. They're good at that wave Lowry. No, no, no, no. The players that you bring in a giant package of things, players, draft picks, other assets, and then you wave the player you don't want.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, but he's he's good enough that you can get three to four picks and probably two to three young players you want to learn about perfect and who knows who the young players are. But if the NBA finds out that the Jazz are willing to move off of lowry marketing, Austin Ainge will receive multiple phone calls from other general managers saying, okay, what do you want? And if Austin and says okay, let's we'll do four picks, we'll do three unprotected in one swhile, and then we want these three young players. And all these players are between eighteen and twenty two, and they're a lot like the other young players the Jazz have. You might have to do something with Walker as wow.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's any chance they do that. Well.
Speaker 1: Walker's good, Walker's really good. He impacts winning. So if you're going to do the thing where we are playing our best players every night and we're not making up injuries, and we're not after we get fine, we're not saying okay, watch this Walker Kesseler shooting ten threes a night. If we're not doing any of those corny things anymore and you're trying your best to win games based off the personnel you have, you have to change your personnel.
Speaker 2: You're too good.
Speaker 1: Because if we are sitting here, Dave, next year at this time and the Jazz have won thirty four games, they're in trouble. And Mark Tatum gets up to the podium and says, and the ninth pick in the NBA draft goes to the Utah Jazz, and that goes to the team that's about to win the title. Because the Jazz decided they wanted to try r I really hard this year. It will step, It will take the Jazz a couple of steps in the wrong direction.
Speaker 2: That is worst case scenario is what it is. I completely agree with you on that.
Speaker 12: And it's and whether we want to call it tanking or roster manipulation, that's going to be have to be the way they do this because they do not want to go through what they had to do last year, where we all sat there and looked at Larry Mark and looking perfectly healthy and not playing. They have to approach this a completely different way. And one way would be your right to move him. But it's not just him, by the way, I mean, John Collins helps you win games. Colin Sexton helps you win games.
Speaker 2: That's my point.
Speaker 12: All these veterans, honestly, they in some respects, a lot of these guys got to go.
Speaker 1: I think finally you can move off of Collins and Sexton. I don't know about Clarkson just because he's not good anymore. I know everyone loves him, show love nice guy painted on the locker, throw him in, or just keep him on the team for fun. But his best years are behind him. But what changes this year? And that's why I can continue to look at the summer of twenty twenty six as far as the off season that makes sense for them to actually get in play is this year. Collins, Sexton Clarkson are on expiring deals.
Speaker 2: It's the final year their deal.
Speaker 1: So instead like a GM last year is like, wait, you want me to trade for John Collins, I have to pay him twenty five mil this year and twenty five mil next.
Speaker 2: Now they'll pick up an expiring car.
Speaker 1: Now his contract expired, so it actually helps you next offseason if you want cap space.
Speaker 2: Same thing with Sexton. Same thing with Clarkson.
Speaker 1: Clarkson's on the books for fourteen point two, Collins on the books for nineteen point one. So you can move off of those contracts even if the players aren't necessarily highly sought after, simply because their money expires.
Speaker 12: And teams love those kind of deals where they're acquiring expired contracts. The Lowry's isn't I mean, they just gave him a max deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's good enough because you can find a home for him. I mean, he's good enough. You can find a home for him. So that's that's kind of got to be the play, you know. And then next off season is when they could have potentially seventy million dollars in cap space unless they decide to do this extend Walker. So they have the ability to extend Walker this off season. Now, if you want to move off of Walker, which is a tough ask because he's good and he's still young, they won't extend him.
Speaker 2: That makes him harder to trade.
Speaker 1: So they would do what they did with Hayward and say, oh, you think you've earned a deal, huh, well, you're going to play the last year of your rookie deal. Then you have to go bet on yourself, and that's what Gordon did. He had a really good year, then got a max offer sheet from Charlotte.
Speaker 2: Then they matched the offer sheet.
Speaker 1: Gordon played here for four more years before he gave everyone the middle finger and went to Boston so they could extend Walker unless they've done their calculation, believing we're too good with this group if we want to hold onto our draft pick. And also back up what Austin said, mean we're going to try hard this year.
Speaker 12: They've got to change their person. I don't know that he actually used the phrase try hard this year. But if yes, but again circling all the way back to where this started. If if the question had been phrased in such way that the word tanking wasn't in it, maybe he gets a little bit different answer. You can't even say roster manipulation because everyone knows that's tanking.
Speaker 2: It was the way yeah ask the question. It was the right way to ask the question.
Speaker 12: Well maybe, but you weren't going to get an answer with that, So that's just the way he.
Speaker 2: Got an answer. Well, and so if he's telling the truth.
Speaker 12: If you or you weren't going to get a well, I don't want to say honest answer because I'm not putting words in Austin's mouth, but he he doesn't have any other choice to answer that question any other way.
Speaker 2: That's That's what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, And what I'm saying is if he's telling the truth, they need to change their personnel. Yeah, because right if market In, Kessler, Sexton, and Collins all play seventy and seventy five games, they win thirty to thirty five games this year, I.
Speaker 12: Completely agree with the worst place to be and if they had, if they had played them all last year, they they probably would have won upwards of thirty. I would think the year before they won nearly that they did. They went over that. So yeah, I'm one hundred.
Speaker 1: And then you know where they drafted the year before tenth Yeah, and you know where that would go this year Oklahoma City, who's about to win.
Speaker 12: The championship, and that tenth pick hasn't worked out so well, we'll see where that goes. But I mean, frankly, their next two picks worked out better. Uh, We're going to find out in the next thirty to forty five days. We'll see exactly what the new president is made of. When he starts shaking things up, it's gonna be a lot of fun. I guarantee three words you will not hear at his mouth big game hunting.
Speaker 2: No, I think I'll steer clear of that.
Speaker 1: No way, Austin, if you're listening, you should fire your dad.
Speaker 2: Do not say that, all right? You reference the.
Speaker 1: You reference the overly irrational, emotional, ridiculously uh misguided decision of the worst owner in pro sports to fire Tom Thibbeteau today. It's an example of why the Knicks have been irrelevant for twenty five years because they make these in the moment, irrational decisions based off of emotion that you're feeling right now, instead of having a big picture point of view. So juxtapose that to what Ryan's decided to do with the current iteration of the Jazz. The bottom line is this, Dave, you have to have players, you have to have horses.
Speaker 2: Knicks have players the jazz tone.
Speaker 1: But what Ryan has done is locked in a head coach through twenty thirty a front office that now is locked in as well, and it takes away the ambiguity and the unknown nature of who's calling the shots in the way that the Knicks have simply just allowed the decisions to be to and fro from the win, firing good coaches all the time. So there is that while you need players, at least the Jazz have a coaching staff and a front office that is locked in like that. That is a pragmatic, prudent approach that I think, given time, will pay dividends. But it's going to take a lot of you to understand whether or not it's.
Speaker 2: The right way.
Speaker 12: Well answered, you answered your own question perfectly right there, because you look at what here's the difference. You got the Knicks in the Eastern Conference Finals with an opportunity to go to the NBA Championship Series, firing a coach, and then a team with the absolute worst record in the NBA re signing their coach to an extension, and it just you're right. It goes to show which organization is locked in and which isn't think about Washington Football for all those years the commanders, how horrible, I mean, what an awful job they did of running that thing.
Speaker 2: So and it also tells you.
Speaker 12: That Ryan is confident in his front office and what they're going to do, and that he knows within a few years they'll be competitive. They'll start being competitive, and he wants to make sure that guy is there running it. I don't know what the world the Knicks are doing, other than you may end up with an even better coach.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's just it's an example of a of an owner that's an idiot, and that's who Jim Dolan is and hopefully Ryan's decision.
Speaker 2: Will Hardy's won thirty four percent of his games. He has a nine year runway.
Speaker 1: Tom Thibodeau just won fifty games back to back and went to the Eastern Conference finals of the playoffs four or five years one coach of the year and he got fired.
Speaker 12: Can you imagine if, I mean, if Will Hardy wasn't retained, he'd be instantly highable. Yeah, because people understand what he really is about. But the Jazz are smarter than that. Yeah, they are all right.
Speaker 2: David, are you wearing that on TV tonight? You look change? I'll change. I know you should wear that. I mean sometimes I can't get away with that like you can. I have to look more respectable. It's a little stuffy in there with the suits of times, but I'm.
Speaker 12: More a hoodie. A couple months ago in the winter. I should have saved that for a night you were on with me. Are we hoody with a sport code?
Speaker 1: Are we warm enough to enter the Dave Fox in shorts phase on?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I do that quite a bit, but I don't do it if it's a show like what you and I are doing tonight where you can see my leg.
Speaker 2: Nobody wants to see that. Nobody wants to see that. What's coming up? On five questions?
Speaker 12: I don't want to reveal all the five questions, but I will say we have discussed at least two of them.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 12: We're going to throw in an r SO question, a golf question. We had a couple of locals. By the way, Zach Blair impressed the summer. He's both qualified for the US Open. What about doctor Freestone?
Speaker 2: Congrats? Doctor Freestone's doing good.
Speaker 12: I texted him the other day on an issue and he got right back.
Speaker 1: Do you want to share what the issue was on air? Or but you're you're healthier?
Speaker 2: Good to go? Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, Dave, I'll see it a little bit. Okay, Steve Buddy the Great Day Fox. I'll be on TV with Dave tonight at ten thirty five km why you five Questions with Spence shout out Dave Fox little Enya. On the way out of the show today, I got to I'll admit I was not anticipating Dave as he was going on his diet tribe about how much he loves house music and DM to drop a I also like a Enya.
Speaker 2: And I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't expect that from Dave today. Not that a little and you have nice and relaxing on a Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dave's Dave Fox's music taste is very interesting to me.
Speaker 2: That's uh. That guy's one of one. That's for sure. He is one of one.
Speaker 1: I'll be on television with Dave tonight at ten thirty five on km Y. You we call it five Questions with Spence. Of course, the big news of the day today Tom Thibodau has been fired by the New York Knicks, which has driven a lot of our conversation today Juxtaposed to what the Jazz have elected to do while locking in their coach in their front office while trying to find good players in order to win basketball games. Do you have a preference onn who replaced his tips if you had to pick as far as the names that you've seen.
Speaker 3: It's so hard because, and I mentioned this before, I would like you to only make that move if you've already got the guy there, right, And the name that makes sense is Jay Wright. He's the biggest name in coaching that doesn't have a job at the moment. He coached like your entire roster to a national championship at the college level. But everyone that I know of that has been around Jay Wright in the last two years says that he's not coming back to coaching, and they seem pretty pretty adamant about that fact. So, you know, while that's the name that stands out to me, I don't know. I don't know how likely it is, because it does seem like we're moving into the direction where it's like a regurgitation of the ten names that you hear every NBA coaching search. No shade to your guy Van Gundy, right, but it just seems like there is such a kind of a cycle of the same five, six, seven names that you hear every time.
Speaker 1: I don't think Jeff would want. Well, see, here's the hard thing. Like we've been talking the past couple of days, I and I do genuinely wonder how Justin Zanik feels about everything that's happened, But he's an NBA general manager and you want to hold onto that job. So if the Knicks called Jeff and they inquired about whether or not he'd want to coach, that's you're the head coach of the Knicks. But I don't think he's Tom Tibbadauz, one of his best friends, was one of Jeff's assistants in New York for years, and I just don't think he'll ever work for Jim Doling again.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. He's worked for that guy before.
Speaker 3: That's the one where it's it's like, you know, it looks good on paper, but he's tried that and you probably know as good as anyone. Folks that work with James Dolan don't usually leave that building feeling great about James Dolan. So the odds of him, you know, being stoked to come back to New York is not great. And you know, maybe that gives him leverage on the other side.
Speaker 2: So we'll see. Michael Malone is the favorite in Vegas to get that job. We'll see how this plays out, all right.
Speaker 1: The Stanley Cup Finals begin tomorrow. You can hear the Stanley Cup Finals and the NBA Finals on our radio station Edmonton, Florida, a rematch of what was just a barn Burner seven game series last year. And then of course, okay, see an Indiana start on Thursday.
Speaker 2: So there you go. Not a lot of local stuff going on right now.
Speaker 1: We're kind of entering that dead period with the summer calendar, but we'll do our best account to keep you in the loop with everything that we have going on. Porter what comes our way on a Wednesday edition of the radio show.
Speaker 3: Halfway through the work week. We'll get you ready for the rest of the week. Josh Furlong talking some Utah football, some college football at large, Neil Smith, the latest on the NHL, maybe some Utah Hockey Club as well, and then NBA action for the final hour.
Speaker 2: First the NBA Daily Assist with our guys Zach.
Speaker 3: Harper of the Athletic and then we'll go more jazz centric with Andy Larson of the Solid Tribute.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go. That'll be a fun Wednesday show. Join us for that. We will say good night. Special thank you to Sarah Todd, Tim McMahon, Trey Fitzgerald and Dave Fox for any of the sound you may miss from the show. Website is ESPN seven hundred Sports dot com. Download our mobile app and take us on the go. ESPN seven hundred app is available for free in the App Store or the Google play Store. Then, finally, for what we do in our space every afternoon for four hours, we have a podcast page. Wherever you get your shows, we're there. It's called The Drive with Spence. Check get s Apple, Google, Stitcher, Spotify.
Speaker 2: We're there. Give us a nice review, say nice things, give us all the stars. Follow along.
Speaker 1: It actually helps out the show reporter. I'm spent saying to night, enjoy your Tuesday evening, talk to you on Wednesday. Drive as well as you can find it right here AUDIESPN seven hundred