Speaker 1: In the early hours of May one, nineteen ninety nine, a sixteen year old girl disappeared while cycling home through the dark countryside in the northern Dutch province of Friesland. Later that morning, her body was discovered in a nearby field, and she was found to be the victim of a brutal murder. The crime sent shockwaves through the Netherlands and ignited years of speculation, protests, and political controversy. For more than a decade, the identity of the man responsible remained hidden, until eventually a massive DNA investigation changed everything. This is the story of Dear Mary Anne Vatstra.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcasting. The following.
Speaker 1: Material more mature audience listeners. I think I might be getting a tan. But the sun was out the other day and I think I might have gotten some sun. I might have a tan. Yeah, summer's here.
Speaker 2: I was at the doctor today and I wanted to get some blood work done and one of the things I wanted to test was vitamin D and they were just like, no, like, you're going to be deficient, deficient, There's no point just like, if you live in Canada, take Vitamin D.
Speaker 1: Pills, welcome to being Canadian.
Speaker 2: And I was like, okay, that's fine, but I probably should we should.
Speaker 1: I am taking Vitamin D.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am not, which is probably why half the time I feel so tired.
Speaker 1: Well, I've only been taking it for two days, so I just started.
Speaker 2: And you feel like a new person alive again, not.
Speaker 1: Really not yet. Wonder what does make me feel alive though? Ah yeah, boom, so good. There is another thing it does. But there is another thing that actually can make me and you feel alive, and it may be signing up for Patreon, getting that behind the scenes content, the exclusive content, and our Patreon is being revamped very soon. We are almost done getting it revamped. So if you want the new you know tears that we're offering, great, But if you want the old ones, they're only going to be available for so long. And we've had some cool people sign up this week, So shout out to Nurse Diesel, Sarah Gain, Stephanie Craig, Catherine Paulter, Rana Joiner, and Rachel who all signed up for Patreon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, so little applause.
Speaker 1: Applause because you guys are amazing and thank you for supporting the show. It means a lot.
Speaker 2: It means a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. I went on a bit of an internet rabbit hole chase, if you will, to see if I could find a Dutch case, because I mentioned last time we should do one. So here we are.
Speaker 2: Well, we had a patron sign up suggested that we look into Dutch cases, so here we go exactly.
Speaker 1: So I went, did some googling, found one, and I found it. Rather. I think it's kind of prominent. It's hard because you know, different languages and stuff like that, it's hard to really find one that's like, it's hard to see if it's really dominant in North America versus you know, overseas and the Netherlands, that sort of thing. So I think it's kind of a prevalent story there, but it certainly isn't here in North America at the very least.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, well I haven't heard of it.
Speaker 1: Well you're too, Are you ready for this?
Speaker 2: I sure am.
Speaker 1: Well. In the far north of the Netherlands lies the province of Friesland. It's a small place known for its open farmland, narrow country roads, and small villages scattered across the flat countryside. Life here, well, it moves at a bit of a slower pace, especially rather than you know, going to the big Dutch cities. Now, people here knew their neighbors, families, they lived in that same communities for generations, and bicycles were one of the most common ways to get around. But before I get into deep I do want to warn you, well, I'm probably not going to do the best with names, but I'm going to do my best.
Speaker 2: I'm going to try your hardest.
Speaker 1: Yes, when it comes to the pronunciation of individual names and villages that sort of thing. And now, between the villages of Zagwestinde, Colum and Ving Cluster, quiet rural roads cut through fields, tree lines and canals all alike. At night, those roads could feel especially empty, long stretches of countryside with only the sound of wind and the occasional passing cyclist. It's the kind of environment that well Mary Anne Vatstra grew up in. She knew this very well. Mary Anne was born on August tenth, nineteen eighty two, in the city of lee Warden, but she spent her childhood in the village of Zaguest, Indy, which is known now as Doestrian. She was the youngest of six children in a very close knit Friezen family. Her father bach Vastra worked as a carpenter, while her mother, Mike Terpstra, while she managed the household. By the time Marianne was growing up, most of her older siblings were already beginning their own lives, which meant that she spent much of her youth surrounded by both family and a wide network of friends in the village. People who knew Marianne remembered her as being cheerful and energetic. She loved music, enjoyed singing, and, like many teenagers of the late nineteen nineties, while she spent time with friends talking about music, about relationships and the plans that they had imagined for their future. All around, she was known to be outgoing and social, someone who was rarely short of company. Mary Anne attended primary school in zaguest Indye before continuing her education at a Christian Mavo school in Damwood, which was a nearby village. Like many students in rural Friesland, she cycled two school each and every day. The bike path and quiet roads that connected the villages were just another normal part of daily life here, especially for young people who were growing up, and at sixteen years old, Marianne had already started working a part time job too, two afternoons a week, she worked at a local supermarket while finishing school. However, she had bigger plans beyond just the supermarket. Mary Anne had developed a strong interest in hairstyling and in fashion. She liked to experiment with different hair styles and often styled her own hair and that of her friends as well. After complete her exams, she was planning to attend a hairdressing school and eventually going to become a professional hairstylist. Marianne was simply a typical teenager in every sense of the word. Now every year on April thirtieth in the Netherlands they celebrated something called conningenidoc I hope I pronounced that right, I did my best, or something you can call Queen's Day. It was one of the biggest national holidays in the country, a day when towns and villages alike filled with music, markets, street parties and late night celebrations. Even small communities like those scattered across Friesland came alive. Local festivals were organized, bars stayed open late, and young people from nearby villages gathered to celebrate. In nineteen ninety nine, the celebrations in the village of Colum included the final evening of the Columber Dustagan, a local festival that drew crowds from across the region. For teenagers from the surrounding villages, this was a amazing It was music, friends, excitement and staying out late. Now, imagine yourself being a teenager at that time and having the chance to go out and do these things I'm picturing like local carnivals or reasons like Halloween, that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it sounds awesome. It's your one moment to just like break free and enjoy your life exactly now.
Speaker 1: That night, sixteen year old Mary Anne made plans to meet up with her boyfriend Spencer, who was eighteen at the time, along with his friend Wheatze. Now the three of them spent the evening in Colomb moving through the festivities like many of the other young people in the area, and as the evening stretched on into the early hours of May first, the celebrations began to wind down. It was around one am that Marianne, Spencer, and Wheatze left colum together on their bicycles. Mary Anne rode in the back of Spencer's bike as they traveled toward boots and Posts, which was a village where the two young men lived. Once they reached boots and Posts separated, Spencer and wheat Sea stayed behind well. Mary Anne continued the rest of the journey alone on a bike. Now, the plan had always been for her to head home, but her parents never wanted her traveling alone in the middle of the night like that.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 1: Now, she knew the route well, and like many teenagers, she'd spent years cycling between surrounding villages to and from school, off going meet friends, that sort of thing. She knew the area like the back of her hand. And it was some time after one am Marianne began that final part of her trip, pedaling through the dark countrysides towards her home where her family was waiting for her. Now, the road she took pass through a quiet farmland with narrow rural paths, and at that hour the countryside was nearly empty, and it should have just been a simple short ride home. However, it wasn't because she would never make it home.
Speaker 2: Oh man, see, I just freaking hate stories like this, because that should be okay, it should be right. And I feel like it's stories like this that we've just learned that you can't do that kind of stuff really anymore, and you're not safe potentially one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And I hate to be this person to point it out, but the reality is, if it were a young man, he might have made it home.
Speaker 2: Mm hm most likely. And I'm kind of assuming here that it wasn't. It was just kind of like the person took a moment of opportunity.
Speaker 1: Well, that's certain to get into it, don't worry. Yeah, did you want to smack me across the face when I was saying that, No.
Speaker 2: I knew, I knew it was coming. I was just going to put it out there because it doesn't seem like it would necessarily have been like targeted, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, well we'll talk all about it. Don't worry now. As the night passed and the morning of May first, nineteen ninety nine began, mary Anne was nowhere to be seen. At first, there may not have been any immediate panic. You know, teenagers, especially on nights like this, sometimes stay out a lot later than expected. And her parents were probably just preparing to give their daughter a good scolding when she got home.
Speaker 2: Finally, or she could have been like stayed at a friend's.
Speaker 1: House exactly, So that's kind of what might have been in their mind, but they probably expected nothing more than that. Now, as the hours passed without her coming home, that's when concerns began to grow because something was clearly wrong. And it would be around eleven am that morning that Marianne's body was discovered in a meadow near a wooded embankment along kenningwe Road, close to Ving Cluster. The field sat just off the rural path one that was connected to the surrounded villages. It was an isolated place that cyclists and locals would normally pass without a second thought. But what they found this morning in this inconspicuous meadow, though it.
Speaker 2: Was devastating, m some serious bullshit.
Speaker 1: Now. Police were quickly called to the scene and the area was quickly secured as a crime scene. Marianne's body was found laying deep in the grass of the field, and the evidence around her made it immediately clear that a violent crime had taken place. Investigators began documenting everything that they could see, every footprint, disturbance in the grass, every piece of potential evidence that might explain what had happened during that night. Now, the condition of the scene also told investigators that Marianne had been sexually assaulted along with being murdered. She had been strangled with her own bra and her throat had been cut. The sheer brutality of the attack alone shocked even experience investigators. Now, despite the horror at the scene, investigators found something very important clues and evidence like. For example, forensic teams collected multiple biological samples, including traces of blood and seamen that clearly belonged to the perpetrator. They also recovered a cigarette lighter bearing a Playboy logo near the scene. The lighter appeared to have been dropped during what they assumed was a struggle, and it contained DNA that likely belonged to the attacker too. In fact, numerous traces of Marianne's body and clothing things that were recovered carefully were sent to the laboratory for analysis because they had DNA on them.
Speaker 2: Man, obviously this person is a nasty piece of shit. You can just tell freaking instantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, news of the discovery spread quickly through the surrounding villages, and this is an area where word traveled fast, and by the end of the day the murder struck the region like a complete shockwave. For mary Anne's family, the loss was of course devastating. Only hours earlier, they had expected to hear from her return, see her walked through the door, and any moment, but instead they were confronted with the unimaginable reality that their youngest daughter had been brutally murdered while she was out alone and helpless at night.
Speaker 2: That's so sad. I'm assuming world word travels fast, but also things like this don't really happen.
Speaker 1: Definitely now, the grief quickly spread. Maryanne had been known to many people in the area through her job at the local supermarket, friends at school in nearby, and for the community, her death felt deeply personal. In the days that followed, the village it became very quiet, of course, but it was also the focus of national attention, and in that sense it boomed so loud. Journalists began arriving from across the Netherlands as news outlets covered the story extensively. The brutal nature of the crime, combined with the age of the victim and the mystery surrounding the attacker. It made the case one of the most widely discussed crimes in the country. When Marianne's funeral was held on May sixth, nineteen ninety nine, the community gathered to say goodbye, and during the procession, residents formed a human shield around the funeral cortege, protecting Marianne's grieving family from the cameras that gathered in the village. The gesture reflected the deep respect many locals felt for the family as they mourned the loss of their daughter.
Speaker 2: Oh that's like, oh, it breaks your heart, but it's also so nice, like so kind.
Speaker 1: And then just one day later, on May seventh, an enormous silent march was held in Marianne's memory. And when I say enormous, I mean enormous. In total, an estimated twenty thousand people walked through the streets of zagwest Endy in silence, many carrying flowers or candles. For a village of only a few thousand residents, the turnout was extraordinary.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's really special.
Speaker 1: People actually traveled from across Friesland and beyond to take part in this walk to show their respect to their support, you know, ensuring they both expressed grief and well demanding justice right now. As the days passed, the murder continued to dominate headlines, and somewhere out there in the community, the person responsible for Marianne's murder was still free, and the search for that person was just beginning. In the days following the discovery of Marianne's body, many residents in the surrounding villages began searching for an explanation for the crimes. There wasn't yet one from the investigators and the police, so speculation began to spread, and it began to focus on a nearby asylum seeker center outside of Kolum Now. The facility is a place where people who have fled their home countries and lived temporarily. That's what this is. It housed refugees for several countries, including Iraq and Afghanistan, and it had already been subject of local debate even before the murder had occurred. But rumors were now beginning to circulate that the attacker must have come from inside this center. Some residents even claimed that the method used to kill Marianne, particularly the cutting of the throat, seemed something that did not fit what they believed was a quote Western crime. These claims, though unsupported by evidence, quickly spread through conversations in the community and in the local media discussions, and the asylum center itself became a focal point of public anger. Police in fact even increased security around the facility, fearing that violence could erupt between local residents and the asylum seekers living there. Riot police were placed on standby just in case protests turned into something more serious. Meanwhile, investigators were still in the early stages of the case. They had collected forensic evidence and began interviewing witnesses, but no definitive suspect had yet been identified. This is how the case sat as the months passed without an arrest. Frustration in the region continued to grow, and the murder of Marianne had left the community of Friesland shaken by the lack of answers, and it began to fuel anger and suspicion amongst residents, and the focus on that nearby asylum seeker center only intensified those feelings. Local residents increasingly voiced their belief that the killer must have come from the refugee facility, and the longer the investigation went without a breakthrough, the stronger the speculation became, and all of that tension reached a boiling point in October of nineteen ninety nine, during a municipal meeting in Coolum that was meant to discuss the opening of another asylum seeker center in the town. Instead of a calm public discussion, the meeting turned chaotic. A group of young protesters disrupted that gathering, shouting at officials and throwing eggs at the mayor. Even the anger that had been building for you know all this time spilled out into an open hostile situation, with some demonstrators openly accusing asylum seekers of being responsible for Marianne's murder without any evidence whatsoever. The protest quickly drew national attention, and at least one woman involved was later convicted of a racist offense for her role in encouraging the riots. But no matter what was going on, it did not change how investigators continued to do their work behind the scenes, because for them, the focus remained on evidence, interviews, forensic analysis, and the leads that might actually eventually point to the person who was in fact responsible.
Speaker 2: This does make sense, though, I mean, a sixteen year old getting murdered to this in this way is very emotional, right, So it is all of these people are kind of of course, the police are doing what they need to be done, but that doesn't help all of these emotions that everyone else is feeling. And you know, well, it couldn't have been one of us that did this, right, So.
Speaker 1: But the thing is you can't jump to those conclusions to sit here and say, well, it must be this group of people that is I mean, it's racist, that is what it is.
Speaker 2: Well, because often yeah, it's people like that you would never expect that do something like this very much. So be someone that they know, but they don't want to believe that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But for them, they were just trying to find answers. I mean, it's a terrifying situation. So if you're like, fuck it, it must be someone who could it be on them? Yeah, just pointing a finger because you're scared. You're trying to resolve something in your.
Speaker 2: Mind, and it's kind of easy exactly.
Speaker 1: Now, don't get me wrong, it's not an excuse, but mentally it makes sense for people to try and find an answer exactly. Now, From the very beginning the murder of Marianne triggered a large scale police investigation involving detectives, friendsic specialists and officers who are working across multiple agencies. The brutality of the crime and the national attention it received meant that solving the case was a top priority. Police had began by reconstructing Marianne's final hours. Detectives interviewed people who had seen her during the Queen's Day celebration and column, including friends, witnesses at the festivals, and anyone who might have been traveling along the rural roads between the surrounding villages during that night. They tried to establish a clear timeline ofver moments and that was essential for them. In fact, in total, investigators conducted around one thousand witness interviews. In the early stages of this investigation, Every single possible lead was followed, whether it was people who had attended the celebrations, residents living on route, whatever. They pursued it. Even the smallest details such as a passing bicycle, a parked car, or an unfamiliar person in the area were considered potentially important pieces of information, and at that same time, police received hundreds of tips from the public. In total, about a hunt. About sorry five hundred leads were reported and examined. Some tips came from local residents who believed they'd seen suspicious behavior, and others were based on rumors or speculations circulating the community, things like that center right, well, there could.
Speaker 2: Probably have been a lot of suspicious activity on a night like that when literally everybody's out in a boat and.
Speaker 1: Everything's different about place right now. Either way, investigators had to carefully evaluate each piece of information to determine whether it had any real connection to the crime or not. Meanwhile, forensic specialists continued to examine the evidence collected from the crime scene too. The biological traces recovered from Marianne's body, particularly the DNA evidence from blood and seamen, offered investigators one of the most promising leads at the time. Though DNA analysis was already an established forensic tool, which is great, but it could only identify a suspect if a matching profile was already available for comparison, and for that reason, detectives began looking for individuals whose DNA could be tested against those samples that were recovered, and as the investigation continued through nineteen ninety nine, detectives began narrowing into potential suspects, anyone who might have been in the area that night or who could have possibly had a connection to Marianne or the crime scene. Anyone that fit that they became a person of interest. Some of these leads seemed promising at first, but one by one they fell apart. The first major arrest came in May of nineteen ninety nine, when police detained a thirty two year old man from d Westing, Marianne's own village. At the time, investigators believed he could potentially be linked to the crime, and the public hoped that the case might soon be solved. But when the man's DNA was compared to the biological evidence recovered from the scene, it was not a match, so with no physical evidence connecting him to the murder, he was released. This would become the first of several times investigators believed they might close the identity on the killer, only to have the lead collapse out from underneath them. Over time, a total of twelve suspects would be investigated and ultimately cleared through DNA testing, and one of the most controversial moments in the investigation involved a refugee from Iraq who had once lived at the asylum. Now guards from the center had reported that the man left the facility during the night Marianne was murdered and he had not returned, which immediately raised suspicion. Now the man in question, well, when investigators looked into it, he had already left the country, So, working with inner Pol, police tracked down the man in Istanbul. He was in Turkey and that's where he was arrested in October of nineteen ninety nine and questioned in connection with Marianne's death. But once again, the DNA evidence told the different story. It wasn't him and he was completely cleared as a suspect. As investigators struggled to identify who did this, the forensic evidence collected at the crime scene and continued to stand out as the strongest lead, but it didn't lead anywhere. All police needed to do was find the person whose DNA matched those samples, but that was easier said than done. So with that in mind, investigators decided to try something that was still relatively uncommon at the time. In December of nineteen ninety nine, police launched a DNA screening of local men living near the crime scene. The idea was simple. If the killer lived in the area, as investigators increasingly suspected, there was a chance that his DNA could be found by testing people from the surrounding village. Police asked one hundred and seventy men from the local community to voluntarily provide DNA samples for comparison with the evidence recovered from the field where the crime scene occurred. The response in the community was largely cooperative, and out of the one hundred and seventy men approached, one hundred and sixty two agreed to provide samples, allowing forensic specialists to begin comparing their DNA profiles to the one obtained from the crime scene. Now, each sample was carefully analyzed by forensic laboratories, with investigators hoping that one of these tests would finally produce the match that they'd been waiting for. But when the results came back, the outcome was disappointing. Not one of the DNA samples matched the profile of the unknown perpetrator. Now, despite the setback of none of the DNA samples matching, investigators now knew something important, and that was that the DNA evidence they had collected was reliable and capable of identifying the killer. If the right person could be found, they were not receiving a bunch of false results, and so investigators then reconsidered their strategy. One approach was to build a psychological and geographical profile of the killer. Investigators worked with forensic specialists and behavioral analysis to study the details of the crime. The location of the attack, the way it was carried out, and the fact that the killer appeared to just vanish without being seen. It all suggested certain things about the persons who was responsible, and one of the most important clues came from the location of the crime scene itself. Marianne had been attacked along a quiet rural road near Ving Cluster, in an area surrounded by farmland and small villages. The field where her body was found it wasn't a place someone unfamiliar with the region would simply stumble upon in the middle of the night, so that meant that the attacker had either known the area or lived nearby to find the area rather easy. Now. At the same time, advances in forensic analysis allowed specialists to examine the DNA evidence in a little bit more greater detail. By analyzing genetic markers, scientists could sometimes determine the likely geographic background of a person who the DNA belonged to. In this case, the analysis suggested that the perpetrator's DNA profile was most consistent with someone of north Western European ancestry, which was huge for this case. No kidding, because at the time when public suspicion was heavily focused on the asylum seeker center from people from the Middle East or Central Asia, the genetic analysts will it pointed to a different direction entirely. It indicated that the killer was most likely a white Western European man who could possibly be someone local from the regent. Investigators also believed that the attack itself suggested a crime of opportunity rather than a carefully planned act, which is what you were alluding to earlier. Marianne had been traveling along the road late at night. They believed the killer may have encountered her by chance and acted impulsively. Putting these pieces together detectives a working profile. The suspect was likely male, white Western European, familiar with the local area and lived They figured roughly fifteen kilometers within the center of the crime scene.
Speaker 2: Probably even familiar with her. I have to just say, that's a pretty messed up impulse. Hey, to be driving by someone or viking by someone, walking by someone and do that. Yeah, that is messed up.
Speaker 1: I know. But now there is a problem. They had a working theory of who this could be as far as a profile goes, but the villages surrounding the area, the Zagwest Indy Colum being Closter, there were thousands of men who fit that description within these villages. So how do you find which one of those thousands of men could be the person? And it left investigators scratching their head trying to figure out who they can or how they can figure out who it is. And so as the investigation moved into the early two thousands the murder of Marianne, it began to shift from an active investigation into a case that refused to be solved, kind of like a cold case. They didn't know what to do or how to.
Speaker 2: Move on, which is really freaking sad, because this bastard could be living amongst.
Speaker 1: Them exactly now. At times it seemed as though the investigation might just fade away, but the case never disappeared. In two thousand and two, authorities briefly reopened the investigation hoping that new techniques or overlooked leads might produce a new breakthrough. Investigators reviewed the evidence again, revisiting earlier interviews and examining whether any new forensic methods could be applied to the biological traces collected from the crime scene. Still, the results were disappointing. The DNA evidence remained to be the strongest clue in the case, but without a matching profile to compare it against, the investigation just stalled once more. Eventually, the renewed inquiry was closed again, leaving the murder officially unsolved. Meanwhile, the story continued to live on in the public eye. And that is not the end of the case. I just wanted to fuck with you for a moment.
Speaker 2: I was about to fucking rage.
Speaker 1: Understandable because I'm like, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: That's it?
Speaker 1: Like, that is not it.
Speaker 2: We're just getting started here.
Speaker 1: And that is not the end of the story.
Speaker 2: There's more, Rick, Ben, you just increase my blood pressure. I swear to.
Speaker 1: God, that was my attempt. So I'm glad it weren't.
Speaker 2: Oh here. I was just like these investigators are like rocking it. That's what I was thinking about in my mind, Like you can't say they're you know, not really trying here, and then you pull that. Oh I wasn't ready for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, that's not I have plenty more to go. So should I continue?
Speaker 2: Yes? Please?
Speaker 1: Okay. So meanwhile, the story continued to live on in the public eye. Journalists and television programs kept running the case, asking why the person responsible for such a brutal crime had never been identified. But perhaps the most determined advocate for this whole situation for keeping the investigation alive was mary Anne's father, Bach Vastra. Now, for him, the case was never simply an unsolved crime. It was the unanswered question surrounding the brutal and tragic loss of his daughter. Over the years, Bach became increasingly vocal for the need of new investigative methods, particularly DNA research, that could identify this unknown killer. He repeatedly called on authorities to consider broader DNA testing and new forensic approaches that might reveal the identity hidden between the genetic evidence.
Speaker 2: Good for him, I like to hear that now.
Speaker 1: Through interviews, media appearances, and public statements, he pushed for the case to remain active, and his efforts played a significant role in ensuring that Marianne's murder was never allowed to fade into the background, and eventually the advances in forensic science that bach Vastra had been advocate for would begin to change the investigation in ways no one could have imagined when the case first began. Across Europe, researchers and forensic institutes were developing new methods that allowed DNA to be used not just for confirming suspects, but for generating investigative leads. One of the most promising techniques was known as familial DNA researching, which is very similar to something you're probably already aware of, which is genetic genealogy. However, in this case it uses voluntary or government databases. It's essentially the same practice, but how you obtain the DNA is different. So using this method, instead of looking for only an exact match, familial DNA analysis allowed investigators to search for partial genetic similarities that could indicate a biological relationship between the unknown perpetrator and someone whose DNA had been tested. Because certain DNA markers are passed down through male family lines, it became possible to identify relatives of unknown suspects. This opened a completely new path for solving cases where the perpetrator had never been directly identified. In the Netherlands, these developments s marked a legal and scientific debate. In fact, though using DNA in this way raised a lot of questions about privacy, consent, and the right of individuals whose genetic information might indirectly reveal family members connected to the crime. My personal opinion is good, well, yeah.
Speaker 2: I was just sitting here, like, who cares if it's gonna catch a freaking murder and get them off the streets.
Speaker 1: Exactly which lawmakers and forensic experts discussed whether the benefits of solving serious crimes outweighed those concerns, And I agree with them. They certainly do well.
Speaker 2: And honestly, if I had a family member that was a complete piece of shit garbage like this, i'd want or not, I.
Speaker 1: Kind of want to do like one of those ancestry dot com or something like that. Specifically, so there's a database of my DNA out there to help anyone in my family who might be a piece of shit that I'm not aware of, No kidding now. For years, this case was often mentioned in those debates, and if familial DNA researching or searching was permitted under Dutch law. It could potentially reveal relatives of the unknown attacker in this case and lead police closer to the identity. So when they're arguing whether this is ethical or not, this case was always brought up, and eventually, in April of twenty twelve, amendments to Dutch forensic legislation made it possible to use familial DNA analysis in criminal investigations. The new rules allowed police to search for genetic relationships within large groups of people, opening the door to investigative methods that had previously been impossible for detectives working on this case. The change represented the first real breakthrough in years. It meant, after more than a decade without answers, investigators finally had a new twour rule that could potentially identify mary Anne's killer. So on September twenty ninth, twenty twelve, police launched a massive DNA screening operation. This was in the region surrounding the crime scene, and the investigation focused on the rural area where Marianne had been attacked, particularly the villages within five kilometers of a radius of this crime scene. Now, men living in twelve nearby villages were invited to voluntarily provide DNA samples. That is very important that this is still a voluntary thing. And in total, more than eight thousand men were asked to participate in this screening. The scale of the operation alone was unprecedented. Now, it's important to clarify once again, voluntary, but authorities also emphasized the importance of the community cooperation for solving the long standing case.
Speaker 2: Okay, so these people who are doing this know that of the consequences too, correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's what's happening is the police are saying, we need your DNA so we can do this DNA search and potentially find relatives. So your DNA might link us to the.
Speaker 2: Killer, and I would sign up for sure.
Speaker 1: And they're making it very very clear it's voluntary. However, they are pushing the fact that yes, this could change the case, so your cooperation, we would really fucking appreciate. It is essentially how they're going about it.
Speaker 2: Well, this is a long time that this case hasn't been solved. Like the poor family, I.
Speaker 1: Know now for many residents in the region, the murder had remained an unresolved wound for thirteen years. At this point. People still remember the shock of Marianne's death and the frustration of never knowing who was responsible, and so the voluntary response from the community was remarkable, to say the least. If they asked eight thousand men, how many people do you think volunteered to give their DNA?
Speaker 2: Thinking between seven thousand and seventy five hundred.
Speaker 1: Okay, not quite that much. It was about sixty six hundred to sixty seven hundred men ultimately agreed.
Speaker 2: Still really good, that is amazing.
Speaker 1: Very good. So they provided their DNA samples, allowing investigators to begin comparing their genetic profiles with the DNA evidence from the crime scene. And each sample was collected under controlled conditions, so it wasn't like, you know, they just spit in the bag or something something like that and mail it in.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say, what a massive amount of work this is like for an awesome benefit, but this is like the amount of jobs and shit this is probably creating is unreal massive.
Speaker 1: And each sample was collected, like I said, controlled conditions, with analyzed by forensic specialists in the Netherlands Forensic Institute, and the testing process involved examining the Y chromosome DNA, which has passed from father to son and can reveal genetic connections within the male family lines. So even if the killer himself had not provided a sample, a close mail relative could potentially produce a partial match which would lead investigators to the right direction. Now, handling such a large number of samples required very careful planning and advance analysis. Forensic teams worked methodically comparing each new DNA profile with the one obtained from the biological evidence collected in nineteen ninety nine. The process took time for weeks. Forensic scientists worked through the thousands of DNA samples that are being collected from men living near the crime scene. Each profile was carefully compared against the unknown DNA left behind in the field thirteen years ago. Then, about halfway through the analysis, investigators finally found what they were searching for. On November eighteenth, twenty twelve, the DNA profile taken from one of the volunteers produced a direct match with the biological evidence collected at the scene Marianne's murder, and the name attached to that DNA sample was a man by the name of Jasper Stirringa Now Jasper was forty five years old, a dairy farmer, living in the village of Aldwald, just two point five kilometers from the place where Marianne's body was found in nineteen ninety nine. For years, he had been living quietly in the same rural area where the murder had taken place, and he raised a family and worked the farms, and like thousands of other men in the region, Jasper had actually voluntarily provided a DNA sample during the mass screening. When I said it was a direct match, he had volunteered his DNA. They had his DNA and compared it to the DNA found of the crime scene.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he did it. He did it serious.
Speaker 1: It's his DNA at the crime say.
Speaker 2: I thought, that's kind of what that meant. But then I'm like, why is he volunteering then, Like that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Well, investigators kind of knew that, like, if the killer refused to cooperate, the new techniques that they're after is probably going to identify him anyways through close relatives. So face with that reality, the situation was, Jasper just simply decided to submit his own DNA along with anyone else's because he knew he was done for.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I don't know if I dislike that or like that. I don't know. I'm kind of at a loss there because at first I was like, did he fucking forget what he did?
Speaker 1: No, he didn't forget. He was cornered, and he's like, well, I'm gonna get caught anyways. Fuck it.
Speaker 2: Someone from his family probably got tested and so it was just a matter of time. Basically okay, but still I feel like it's still odd that he went and did it.
Speaker 1: But it is odd. And don't get me wrong, I hate this guy. He's a douchebag, but you know me, I like to play Devil's advocate advocate right at the very least, he manned up at the end. I will give him credit for that one single thing. That does not forgive anything he fucking did.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't think I give him credit for that because I'm trying to figure out my head why he did that. Like, I think there was some sort of other reason he was remaining in control. I guess when he knew that his control was ending.
Speaker 1: From my research, I don't think so it's a possibility. It's a possibility, but from my research, it seems like, yeah, he his hands were tied so hmm.
Speaker 2: And so he would have been like a thirty year old man when he did this or something around that age. Yeah, that's that is Oh my gosh, just disturbing.
Speaker 1: You're vibrating.
Speaker 2: Really, I'm like, this case is quite upsetting me. I'm not gonna lie. Like it's very interesting, very sad and very maddening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with all those now. Once the match was confirmed, police moved quickly. That very same day, they arrived at Jasper's farm in Aldwald and arrested him for the rape and murder of Marianne Vastra. After more than thirteen years, the investigation had the one that had once seemed impossible to solve. It had finally identified a suspect. However, the investigation wasn't quite finished yet. Detectives still needed to confirm exactly what had happened on the night that she was killed in May of nineteen ninety nine. So after the arrest on November eighteenth, twenty twelve, Jasper Stringa was taken into police custody and questioned about the events on that night. At first, he didn't say much, but that changed quickly within minutes of meeting with his lawyer, Jasper decided to confess, and in the weeks that followed, investigators worked with Jasper as he described everything that had happened. According to his accounts, he had been cycling along the rural road near Ving and then he saw mary Anne riding ahead of him. He said he had never met her before. He didn't recognize her. He didn't know who she was, but when he noticed that she was riding alone on the road that night, he claimed, a sudden thought crossed his mind. Quote he told himself, your mind.
Speaker 2: Tonight, Oh gosh, what the shit?
Speaker 1: So eventually he caught up to mary Anne along the road and forced her off her bicycle and threatened her with a pocket knife. Then he dragged her into a nearby field. There, Jasper admitted that he raped mary Anne twice. After the assault, he attempted to strangle her using her own bra and when he realized that she was still breathing, he pulled out the knife again and cut her throat several times. In his statement, he said he did this because he feared she would identify him if she survived. Jasper told investigators that after the attack, he left her lifeless body alone in the meadow and simply returned to his normal life, keeping the secret of what he had done for more than a decade. During that time, he got married, he raised children, and continue working as a farmer in the same rural region where the crime had taken place. According to him, he had also considered confessing several times over the years, but he ultimately chose to remain silent because he did not want his children to grow up knowing that their father was imprisoned for murder.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe he shouldn't have had kids.
Speaker 1: Maybe he shouldn't have fucking raped and murdered someone too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that too, But also he should not have, like, I don't know, had children or even been able to have this like little happy life or whatever he did for twelve years.
Speaker 1: I know. But when the mass DNA investigation began in twenty twelve, Jasper realized that it was only a matter of time where the truth was uncovered. Even though he didn't go to the police himself, he waited for the investigation to reach him, but he still submitted his own DNA voluntarily, and on the evening of November eighteenth, twenty twelve, when officers arrived at his farm, the secret he had carried for more than thirteen years finally came to an end, and so the case against him moved into the Dutch court system and the proceedings began on March twenty eighth, twenty thirteen, in the city of Leeuwarden, the capital of the province of Friesland. Interest in the trial was intense. Journalists, members of the public, and Marianne's relatives all filled the courtroom as the details of the crime were presented in full for the first time. During the hearings, prosecutors outlined the evidence that connected Jasper's STRINGA to the murder, and central to their case was, of course, the DNA match to the genetic profile recovered from Marianne's body in the crime scene, also Jasper's earlier confession and also formed a key part of the proceedings in court. Jasper even repeated the accounts himself about how he encountered mary Anne cycling along the road in the early hours of May one, nineteen ninety nine. He described following her, threatening her, and dragging her into the field where he attacked and raped and killed her. The courtroom testimony was very difficult for everyone to hear, but especially for that of Marianne's family. For years, they had known only fragments of what had happened to their daughter, but now the full sequence of events was being laid out publicly for them to hear. Prosecutors heard his accounts and argued that the brutality of his crimes, his attack, it justified a severe sentence. They requested that the court impose a twenty year prison term, the maximum punishment they believed was appropriate under the circumstances. When it came to the defense, they didn't dispute the DNA evidence, they didn't dispute the confession. I mean, how could they. But what they did do was focus on Jasper's mental state, like every defense does when it comes down to the wire and the circumstances around his crime. Right, That's all they could do. But in the end, the court heard both sides and on April nineteenth, twenty thirteen, the court delivered its verdict. Jasper Stringa was found guilty and convicted of the rape and murder of Marianne Vostra, and as a result, the judge sentenced him to eighteen years in prison.
Speaker 2: That is not enough time.
Speaker 1: Eighteen years, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That just seems like nothing. To me, I just I'm just having trouble understanding who the fuck has thoughts like this and then just goes and acts them out and then just lives their life after that. Like, did he not like he has to be a terrible personally he had to have done other terrible shit too or something I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And also did his did her family know him? Did the parents know him? Not?
Speaker 1: As far as I'm aware, no, okay, But again this was a little difficult to research because language barriers and all this sort of thing. But as far as I could find, no, he was.
Speaker 2: Not known to the family, which I do think is good because could you imagine if if they were right, if they were like friends or something. I know, but still just terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And when you think about it too, he got eighteen years in prison, he has five years left.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, and like because he was only in his forties yep, so he could still just kind of oh my, okay, okay, that is no that it has to be life.
Speaker 1: I agree, But unfortunately that's not what he received. It's he received a very lenient sentence.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, it should almost be eighteen plus the freaking twelve additional years he got right where he got to live his freaking life for those twelve years. That should be like added on top of his sentence. In my opinion, I.
Speaker 1: Think it should just be like twenty five years minimum before he even gets parole. And then if I don't think you should even get yeah.
Speaker 2: Just life, like if you do something to this extent, like you just don't get to yeah, just life ever again.
Speaker 1: Lock them up, let them rot now. For Marianne's family, the sentence brought a form of justice, though it could never really undo what had happened. In many ways, the case left a very lasting mark on the Dutch society and the justice system, and the way forensic science is used in criminal investigations. One of the most significant legacies of the case is its role in advancing the use of DNA investigation techniques in the Netherlands. The mass DNA screening conducted in twenty twelve, where thousands of men voluntarily submitted samples, became one of the first large scale uses of familial DNA analysis in the country. The investigation demonstrated how genetic technology could be used not just to confirm suspects, but to actively identify unknown perpetrators in cases that had gone unsolved for years. And I do want to actually pause just for one brief moment, because they requested DNA from eight thousand men approximately, and approximately six thousand, six hundred and so we'll say six six hundred and fifty. Okay, just you have six six hundred and fifty good men confirmed good men out there in the world. Listening to true crime, it's very easy to think there's so many people out there that are sick, deranged, who are fucked up, who will attack me. And I'm I'm a man, but I'm not going to pretend it's not the reality. Men are often the perpetrators, and it's easy to look and say men are scum, men can do this. There's good people out there. There's good men out there too, don't forget that. But still you gotta be careful regardless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's true that out of eight thousand that many men went in were like, no, like, let's try to get this solved. And to most of them, you know, it had happened well to all of them, and it had happened so long ago, probably wasn't even on their mind or anything this case, right, exactly, so it does speak volume.
Speaker 1: Yes, the majority of humans are still good now. For Marion's family, though the years between her death and the arrest of her killer had been filled with grief and uncertainty, her father Bach Vastra, had played a crucial role in keeping the case in the public eye. He repeatedly called for expanded DNA research things that could identify an unknown attacker, and his persistence helped fuel national debate around forensic legislation and the legal challenge changes that eventually followed in the twenty twelve DNA screening well. They were partially influenced by that decision, and in recognition of his efforts to push for greater transparency and new investigative tools, Bach was awarded with I'm going to get this wrong, but I'm going to do my best here Mashavilli Prize in twenty thirteen, which is an award given for achievements in public communication. The case now also left a lasting cultural memory in Friesland as well. In two thousand and four, several years before the killer was identified, the memorial of Marianne was unveiled in Zagwest Indy. The monument was designed by an artist named hans Yotu, and it served as a place where people can remember the young girl for whose life ended so tragically. Now, during the legal proceedings after Jasper's conviction, Marianne's sister Wilma Vastra made a statement that captured how the family wished the public to remember her. Rather than referring to the story simply as the marian Vostra case, she asked people to remember the person behind the headlines. Instead of focusing on the crime. She said, people should talk about leave Marianne, which, if I said that right, translates to dear Marianne. More than two decades after the night that she was killed on the rural road have passed, Marianne's story still remains one of the most significant criminal investigations in the Netherlands. It is remembered not only for the tragedy of the crime itself, but also for the long search for justice that followed, and for the scenic breakthrough that finally revealed the truth about how dear Marianne lost her life. And that's the story of dear Marianne Fostra.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, you know, why can't it be like people who like the guy I can't even Jasper. Why can't it be like piece of shit Jaspers that get murdered like this or something, right, And it's literally the most like innocent, sweet person. That's how I'm kind of picturing her. She seemed like she was a light. You know, she had goals and ambition, ambitions and had like a lot of friends.
Speaker 1: And well, the thing is too and I don't want to downplay mary Anne. I'm we have a tendency and true crime to romanticize people, but we have every right to do so. Because Marianne had a light. You have a light. I have a light. It's just so unfortunate that that light gets turned on to see that person once they pass. Yeah, if only we could actually see that light in the person every day, Notice that person for what they're trying to do, for what they're struggling through, for what their hopes and dreams are, for what they do for those around them and then the community. We only tend to see that after the fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I do have to say, Jasper will never have a light.
Speaker 1: No, you know what I mean, right, Like most people have a light, and most people's light is never noticed.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, no, and anyone that has experienced, like death of anyone that's close to them or whatever. You do kind of put hold them on a pedestal to some degree, right, But it's okay to take that they should be there too, Yes, I don't know, it's kind of yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 1: Well when we say though, it's it's always these people with this light that unfortunately are lost, because everyone has a light. We all deserve to live, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean and if if this was reversed too, like Jasper would haven't if he died at that age or whatever, he wouldn't have been a complete piece of shit. Yet I guess he didn't.
Speaker 1: He didn't live long enough to become the douche canoe that he was. Yes, if that was the case, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just also hope that he does not see the light of day again.
Speaker 1: Jasper is a douche canoe. Jasper deserves to rot. I hope something happens to him while he is in prison, that he actually stays there. And I hope that we can remember Marianne for the light that she was.
Speaker 2: Dear Marianne, Dear Marianne.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for listening today. I hope you understand what I mean when I'm saying that everyone has a light, not just Marianne. I'm not trying to snuff hers or make hers any more dull. I'm just saying we should look for our own light and everyone around us as well, try and lift those up around you. So maybe maybe I'm going to give you guys homework. Just notice someone around you for who they are this week. Look at them and recognize what they're trying to do, what they hope to aspire to do, and recognize them for that light.
Speaker 2: You're getting really sappy over.
Speaker 1: I am getting sappy today. I'm gonna leave it there, all description stuff.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say, someone complimented me on my eyebrows today, and I thought that was pretty dope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give someone a compliment, recognize them for what they.
Speaker 2: Are, Yeah, because it was such a random encounter, right, and it was cool that they noticed something that I like on myself and they took the minute to say it, which sounds like so vain, but you know what I mean, It's just a little compliment, right that they chose to express.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I'm thinking we should try and do. You know, compliment someone, notice about someone something, or ask a question. Be interested you know. So anyways, you guys are amazing. I hope your light shines brightered this week too, But anyways, until next time, stay wicked
Speaker 2: Aboo Embo