Speaker 1: You know, does have redeeming qualities. Jerry Shemel first of all superhuman being. And now he has taken on a new task, and that is to support an organization that does its best to support people who have developmental disabilities live life to the absolute fullest and achieve their highest dreams. And now Jerry Shemmel joining me to talk about it. Hi, Jerry, how you doing? Mandy?
Speaker 2: I'm great, how are you doing? Really good to talk to you.
Speaker 1: It's very good to talk to you as well. My friend. You know, Jerry, I did not know that you had a grandson who has Down syndrome.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it was a shock to us. He's two years old. We didn't know that that was going to be that way. We weren't given any indication that he had anything wrong with him. Looked like a perfect healthy baby when he came out down syndrome. And Mandy, when when I first heard that news, I was shocked, I was depressed. I was down. And then I started doing research on Down Center kids and everybody's like, congratulations, it's the greatest thing you it's ever going to happen to you. It's the greatest blessing you're ever going to have, and it's turned out that way for the last two years, Little Henry couldn't be more of a joy to me in my life.
Speaker 1: So Jerry, years and years ago, like when you and I were young, back in the olden times, when you had a child that had Down syndrome or so some other developmental delay, they were sort of kind of, for lack of the better way to put it, warehoused a little bit, right. They were just kind of put on a shelf. You were told they were never going to accomplish anything, and they, you know, they just had to kind of live like a lump of coal, I guess. But now we see the exact opposite, and I'm guessing that Best Day Ministries has tapped into the notion that people with Down syndrome can do a.
Speaker 2: Lot, absolutely absolutely, and they're just bundles of joy as well. And no, Henryson only too, Mandy. But I know through this ministry lots of adults with Down syndrome, and you know what, I want to live my life the way they've lived their life. They don't complain, they don't criticize, they don't judge, they measure life. But how many hugs they can get people and how much joy they can bring people. That's the way I want to live my life. So not only are we seeing a change in how people look at and treat people downstair them for any kind of disability, but I think we're seeing the blessing that comes along with that as well, And that's what this ministry is all about. Best Day Ministries is threefold. They have an online business center where adults with disabilities can make their projects and sell them have to help to make and sell their projects online. They got this coffee shop, and they've got a church that they do once a month so and all led by disabled our adults with disability. So it's a credible, beautiful ministry. I'm learning from it and I couldn't be more excited about being involved in it.
Speaker 1: When I was very young, my mother was the activities director for what was at the time called the Columbia Association for Retarded Citizens and it was the first time in my life. I'm like ten, eleven, twelve years old, it was the first time I was around people and these were all adults that had developmental disabilities. It was probably the greatest thing that could have happened to our family in in terms of learning about folks who are trying to make a living and trying to be productive members of society. And you know what, maybe somebody with Down syndrome isn't going to cure cancer, right, but they can work in a coffee shop. And this is a group of people that are historically under employed at drastic levels. But does best day ministries provide opportunities to learn some of those life skills you just mentioned a coffee shop. Tell me about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, coffee shop's a great example that, Mandy. They employ sixteen adults with disabilities, sixteen different people. It's not a great business model when you want to make money. They couldn't get the extra costs, have coaches that are on site as well that help these people, and so you got to pay them as well. So it's not the best foundation for making money at a coffee shop, but it's what this ministry wants to do. They employ sixteen special needs adults anywhere from down center to autism to dramatic brain injuries, straight physical disabilities. There are people wheelchairs that are working there. And for many of them, Mandy, like you're getting that, it's their first job. It's the first time they're gainfully employed. And not only are they making money, that's secondary. What it does for their life, the value, what they can bring to society, how it makes them feel, how it makes their family and their parents feel, is invaluable. And I'm seeing this and people are just giddy about working at this coffee shop. And they're sixteen of these people that wouldn't be employed otherwise, And think big majority of them are working for the first time their lives as adults.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing. It's like what they're you know, they're just like us, Jerry. We want to feel like we have p right. We want to have a reason to get up in the morning. And people with Down syndrome or other developmental disabilities like autism, they have that same drive, but they don't usually get the same opportunities. So how can people I'm assuming Best Day is going to be a part of Colorado Gives Day.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is that, And they have a website that's got a new platform to it, and I'm helping them raise money and get exposure, which I'm doing today. Manny, thank you for having beyond that. It's best Daysministry dot org. Best Day's Ministries dot org. So it's like I said, it's threefold and they're vastly underfunded and I'm trying to help them get to where they're financially solving a little bit. So anybody has an idea notion to help out. And incredibly beautiful ministry that services adults with disabilities, Best Dayministries dot Org is the place to go. It really is a beautiful thing and I will put it.
Speaker 1: On my I do a blog every Colorado gives Day with organizations that I think are doing a really good job. But I want to ask you something about if someone owns a business, are there opportunities to maybe bring some of these people into your business? And I say this because I have now over three different markets, had the opportunity to see how when you let people know, Look, if you want somebody who's going to show up and be the brightest star on your you know, on your crew every single day, if you're willing to work with them and work within what their capabilities are, you will have a crew member that will never leave you, that will never you know, give you a hard time, that doesn't show up late, that doesn't call in sick. And it's remarkable to see how once you get into the community, what people begin to see the possibilities are. And I think that's part of the mission here, isn't it just show people their possibilities.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, Mandy, that that's a big part of this ministry. And you're right, And there are other businesses out there, and this one has kind of modeled their program after some of the others. There's an ice cream shop I know in Aurora where I used to take my grandson before they move that employee special needs adults. And other coffee shops do it, and other businesses do it, and once a while you'll see those sorts of people at chickpil A. There's a lot of different opportunities for these individuals. What we have in this coffee shop is sixteen of those working in the same spot and it just becomes beautiful. And if you ever get to this coffee shop, and I just people love going there, Mandy, because you see what is happening behind the counter and you just you're amazed by it, especially these people running a coffee shop, and it makes your heart stir a little bit and it makes you smile. And there's not a single person I've known that has not gone in that place and come out different, come out affected by it, watching what is happening in that special place. So yeah, what you're getting at is that there are other opportunities, or there should be, for other businesses to people in this capacity. And I think it's probably growing that way, and I think Best Day Ministries has probably opened the door for other businesses to look at that and be that model for them.
Speaker 1: Where is the coffee shop? It's the best Day ever a coffee and crape shop. Where is that?
Speaker 2: It is in downtown Longmont, Colorado, Okay on Kaufman Street.
Speaker 1: Okay, really easy to get to.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've been to Longmont before. Beautiful downtown. It's a great little place I have And.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at the coffee prices. They're very affordable. I mean, that's a pretty affordable thing. Kerry. I know that you are a man with a big heart, and I love that you're working with Best Day Ministries to bring that the sort of the message to us here in the larger metro area. Do you know if they have any plans or the ability to scale to other areas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there are plans. There is a lot of talk that way. I think it's probably going to be a slower process because and you could certainly look at a franchise Moble or fast food does, but it's not a business model. It's hard to make money. Would employ sixteen special needs adults in a coffee shop, and I'll be honest with you, they're not your typical coffee shop employee at Starbucks that knows how to make You've got to train them, and they're at slower and they're less efficient. But that's the whole idea is to give them opportunities. So yes, there is talk about that. In fact that Joe Truett, one of the owners that he and his wife started this whole ministry, was telling me the other day that there's a development and Boulder that wants to put that coffee shop, another best day ever coffee shop in one of their developments in their shopping center. So yes, there's a lot of talk that way, and I think it will happen. I don't know how quickly. These things probably go slower than what you ever expect, but yeah, there are plans and certainly a lot of talk to expand it and make it not only more coffee shops, but other businesses. Doing the same thing.
Speaker 1: So apparently they're working on you. Which is going to be a shop where you can buy stuffs that already up and running.
Speaker 2: It is it's in the coffee shop.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have yeah them online presence as well. But they're goods that special needs adults makes kids do for that matter, are in the store. You can see samples of them, you can buy them there, but their big presence is online. And not just in this area, Manny, but all across the world. They got special needs people making all kinds of things, not only the United States but overseas. So another beautiful ministry, just another opportunity for adults with special needs to be out there, to feel valuable, to make a product and sell a product and make some money in the product and feel great about it. And you should, Manny. I hope you get to the coffee shop someday because if you see some of the things these people make, you'll be blown away. I was in there buying Christmas gifts the other day and stock the back of my car with them.
Speaker 1: Oh that's fantastic. The next time I'm in long Lunch, I go to Long Munt for two things. I go for Georgia Boys Bar and the Cheese Importers. And now I'll have to add Best Day Ministries Coffee Shop to that list. I'll just do a circuit when I get to along line.
Speaker 2: Jerry, you know what, The coffee shop is kind of right between those two businesses.
Speaker 1: Oh perfect, Oh excellent. That makes it even easier for me to find my way.
Speaker 2: Jerry.
Speaker 1: It is so good to talk to you, my friend, and thank you for all you do. And I'm going to put Best Day Ministries on my annual Colorado Gives Day list, So if people would like to contribute, make a donation, find out more that will be available for them on the website.
Speaker 2: Outstanding. I appreciate it, Mandy, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Jerry, we'll talk again soon. That is Jerry Shimmel one of the best. He's just one of the best human beings, truly,