Speaker 1: Warning. The following podcast contains an entertaining look at astronomy, physics, and space news throughout the known universe. Listeners have been known to learn about astronomical phenomenon, the scientific method, and expanded vocabulary to include terms like quasar asterism and uranus. Listen, that's your own risk.
Speaker 2: Go ahead. When made of stars, made them stars.
Speaker 3: Made sizes. When made us stars, you could be from high they would New Mexicomus, where all stars?
Speaker 4: When we are made of stars. I'm Wes Carol, joined by my good friend doctor Sean Cruising, Executive Director or at Columbus State University's Coca Cola Space Science Center.
Speaker 2: Hey Sean, Hey Wes, good to be here. All right.
Speaker 4: We were there for the arrival of the Artemis two core stage at the Kennedy Space Center. We did not make the venture down for Artemis three. No disrespect to Artemis three. It's an important mission. It's a very significant part of the next mission towards getting human beings with their boots on the ground on the surface of the Moon. And we know that that mission then leads to hey, let's build a house here, and then hey, let's go to Mars and let's build a house there too. So this is important. This is that bridge mission that goes between going around the Moon and then going and landing on the Moon. But as a little bit less glitz to it, because this isn't the one. Initially we thought this is the one where they were going to be feet on the ground, but this isn't that mission. But there's a lot of important things that were going to take place on that mission. But this is a test mission, something that they need to do. So we didn't make this journey. It's no offense to Artemis three. We still acknowledge how important this mission is.
Speaker 2: I mean, if the good folks at NASA Media would like to invite us down for the launch of Artemis three, ye, we would more than happily accept that invitation.
Speaker 4: We're down for that.
Speaker 2: Justin Casher listening, we're already putting the date on our calendar in the you know, summer of twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll have it circled. We're ready to go. And while we're at it, I mean, just so that we don't discriminate in any capacity at all to the folks at SpaceX, we know you just launched another Falcon heavy. We'd be down to come cover that as well. So you just let us know. Any of those big boys going up has a different has a different feel to it. It's like a Luke Carroll belch. It will shake the house, you know, those one of those big boys going up. My son is very, very good at belching. That's all. We're looking into competitions. So let's talk about Artemis three and the arrival at Kennedy. We know what it looks like, we know the visuals. We know it's coming out of that giant cigar, a cigarette cigar tube cigar, the big cigar tube coming off the off the barge, slowly coming off and then right on into the Kennedy Space Centers VAB.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The cigar carrier is the Pegasus barge. It's a weird looking ship that's made to carry big rockets like this one. And I'm glad that Luke's thinking of future careers, by the way, so that's a good thing. Career prep is important. Gotta do what you gotta do. So what allegedly, or what NASA keeps repeating is this is the top four fifths, the top four fifths. I was never great at fractions that seems like four out of five to me. The top four fifths of the agency's Space Launch System core stage for Artemis three. What's missing is the bottom fifth and the bottom fifth are the engines, right, That's that's where the power plant is down there at the bottom. That's the Mighty RS twenty five engines that go on and there's four of them that go on the bottom of that stage, and that's what they'll be attaching. One of the first things they'll be attaching to the top four fifths is that bottom fifth with all the actual engines on it. So the top four fifths more or less just a giant fuel tank and fuel routing system. So that's what's arrived down there at Kennedy Space Center. It's still a very impressive site. It's amazing to see that massive fuel tank core stage of the rocket come on shore and then all of the workers at Kennedy Space Center doing what they need to do to get it from the barge dock to the actual vertical assembly building or vehicle assembly building where they can actually take the rocket vertical and begin to assemble these other components. So that's what we've been watching. It came in on Monday of this week, Monday, April twenty seventh, twenty twenty six, and that Artemis III will hopefully be launching astronauts to Earth orbit, not to orbit around the Moon this time, but Earth orbit, so that they can test out the Oriyan's capability to dock up with a lunar lander. Which lunar lander is it going to be SpaceX or Blue Origin? Well, that's what we're still waiting to see, and that's what the further development of the Artemis three mission is going to be all about. It's going to be about finally settling on a platform to land astronauts on the surface of the Moon. And the two platforms that are in consideration as of now SpaceX and Blue Origin. So we're going to see We're going to be keeping a very close eye on how that Artomist three mission develops, because when you're in orbit around the Moon and you're trying to land on the surface of the Moon, you want to make sure that your lander is tested and reliable. And this reminds me a lot of the Apollo ten mission, Apollo nine mission, where they were doing dress rehearsals of these very things so that they can make sure that the Apollo eleven mission went off without a hitch, and you know this one is more like the Apollo nine mission actually, which was performed in Earth orbit and which David Scott, Commander David Scott was part of that crew. Why is that important to us here at Space Science Center because we have a collection of Dave Scott artifacts on display that were donated by Dave and his family, Tom in particular, his brother. So so yeah, we like to harken back to the days of Apollo and say this next Artemiss three kind of looks a lot like Apollo nine where they did a bunch of testing of all the components in Earth orbit before actually trying to do it around the Moon.
Speaker 4: The Artemis two crew has been interviewed and they've been talking about this next mission. Obviously they could they couldn't have picked a better group of ambassadors for the whole Artemis mission than these four astronauts, but they've been now doing what you do, You talk about what you experienced, you talk about the personal side of it. I've seen them doing it, talking about their foht potos. Realizing in the moment when we take these photos with you know, a selfie that has my face in it. There was one photo that Christina took where she said, Christina cooks She basically said, I noticed it first, Hey, my hair is in the photo. We should probably retake it, and then she had the presence of mind to just say, no, leave it in there. This tells part of the story. And you know, that kind of personal side of things where they were trying to do that and let us and you and I've covered that over the past couple of weeks about that personal side the reason that's important. But I mentioned them because they, you know, looking ahead to this Artemis three mission and what it's going to be doing and ultimately Artemis four, and they talked a little bit. I've heard them talk about the importance of the South Pole and how that's ultimately where they're trying to get to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so first of all, about the Christina Cook photograph. We actually have that image blown up into a giant poster and placed in our exhibit gallery because I think I happen to think that that this is for me personally. I think that's one of the best women in science photographs that I've seen in quite some time that should be just by pure visual power a great inspiration to a new generation of females wanting to pursue flight space. You young ladies can look up to Christina Cook as a role model. See that photograph instantly identify the power of being able to pursue science and be in that kind of a venue or in that kind of a circumstance and have that be an inspiration to them. So that's why we put that up in our exhibit gallery here at our facility at Coca Cola Space Science Center. Second of all, you're right about them being tremendous ambassadors. Every interview I've heard that featured the astronauts has been astounding. They have a lot of very insightful things to say, but a lot of very level headed and serious points to make, and they've really been able to humanize this trip around the Moon, which again we've talked about a lot on this podcast, a lot, which is humans are far more inspired to see humans going out and doing adventurous things. Yes, we can send robots to do a fair amount of things, but at the end of the day, the thing that inspires us is to see other human beings going off and being a part of this mission, being tactically involved, because then somehow we channel their experience and we get to feel just vicariously a small slice of what that must have been like for those astronauts to experience that. So the more of those kinds of human experiences that these astronauts share, I really think, and we've really felt that we've seen this impact here at Space Science Center, the more that people just are engaged with the whole event. We've done amazing robotic contributions to science, including all the Mars Rowe and many of the other probes like Osyrus Rex and those kinds of things, and people barely they barely engage with that in terms of you know, I'm not talking when to say people, I don't mean people like me, a big space geek. I mean just your average public person off the sidewalk coming into the Space Science Center. They're vaguely aware of it, or maybe they're not aware of it at all. But suddenly when people go out and do something amazing like go to the far side of the Moon, they know their names, they know their backstories, they know all about them, and they're watching each step of that amazing adventure. And as you say that, that photograph kind of really summed up a piece of that experience just in an image, which is worth a thousand words. So check that, check that photograph out, and you know, we're excited for Artemis three. We're excited for the continuing process.
Speaker 4: Our next story is one of hope, because there was a point where you came in to the studio with me years ago and you broke the news to me, Hey, Pluto's not a planet anymore, and this is happening, and I thought, well, what do we do to stop this? How do we how do we stop these crazy people from ruining Pluto?
Speaker 1: And it's done.
Speaker 4: They've they've changed the standards, they've they've or whatever they did. They just said, we're just we don't we don't like planets discovered by Americans. I don't. I don't know what the what the deal was, but suddenly a planet that many considered their fair I know, as a kid, there were kids in school Pluto is my favorite planet, and I said, well, you know, as long as Uranus is around, you know, it's my second favorite.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: But now, I wasn't even making Uranus jokes at that age. Sorry to disappoint, but I certainly would probably giggle, but not making the jokes. But my point is now it seems we have at least one heavy hitter who's on team let's bring Pluto back, and that is Jared Isaacman, the head of NASA, and this has come up a couple of times with him. It's come up again this week. And so are we saying there's a chance that Pluto may be back. I don't know. I don't know where this is, but I don't give me hope Sean cruising.
Speaker 2: If there's no hope, let me just tell you West Carrol that I don't really think there's a lot of hope. But it's interesting. It's an interesting discussion. So all right, So first of all, first of all, sentimentally, for me personally, the planet Pluto was discovered at the Loll Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona. Loll Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona happens to be a place where I've done a lot of my professional telescope work for my advisor, for fellow students, and published papers based on data taken at the low observatory. So I've actually been to the what they call Pluto camera, which is in its own little observatory dome I've actually been to the Pluto camera. I've touched the actual camera that Clyde Tomba an inspiring story in himself, by the way, because he was a really avid amateur astronomer who got to go pro as he joined the team at Little Observatory. Clyde Tomba then used that telescope to search for and locate what was then the ninth planet in our Solar system, which is why when it got booted out in two thousand and six and we went back to eight and all those plants were not discovered in the United States, and someone like me who's kind of a partisan, because I've actually been to that observatory, I emotionally just really wanted Pluto to stay a planet. And I've made that point clear on this podcast and on the radio broadcast before I will tell you this. There are bona fide science reasons for a reclassification, and part of that is because we started finding a bunch of other Pluto type objects, So we now know about more of those kinds of objects than we know about what we're calling planets currently. So then the question becomes, well, if you reinstate Pluto, does it bring all of its stray cat friends into the planet Club. And as I've made the point to students a long time, we can either have eight planets or we can have eight hundred planets eventually, right, And so does Pluto fall into a category that's worthwhile defining. The reason we're talking about that on the podcast today is because the NASA Administrator, Jared Isiacman, said in a meeting on Monday with the House Appropriation Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies they were reviewing the twenty twenty seven fiscal year budget for NASA on and then in a kind of a side comment toward the end of the meeting, Republican Senator Jerry Moran asked NASA administrator his thoughts on Pluto. And here's the thing you need to know about Jerry Moran. He's from Kansas.
Speaker 4: He is one of the two senators from Kansas. That's right.
Speaker 2: So Pluto, we're not in Kansas anymore, I mean anyway, So why is Pluto tied to Kansas? Well, you see, that's the home state of Clyde Tombaugh. There's the punchline. That's Clyde Tombaugh's home state. Yes, he discovered the planet while working in Arizona, but he grew up in Kansas and attended the University of Kansas. So so, then this Republican senator from the Great State of Kansas asked the NASA administrator, what are your feelings on Pluto? What do you think about that Pluto situation. Jared Isagman responded with something kind of maybe a little bit surprising. He said, quote, Senator, I am very much in the camp of make Pluto a planet again. Does that sound like a phrase we've heard somewhere else? It does a red hat or something.
Speaker 4: Something like that. Yes, I think we've had a certain a certain president has even uttered those words before to make.
Speaker 2: A planet again. I don't know something like that anyway, all right, So so, but then Jaredisacan went on to say, we are doing some papers right now on I think a position that we would love to escalate through the scientific community to revisit this discussion. And then Jaredisigman continued, Jaredisigman being the director of NASA, by the way, NASA Administrator Jaredizegman went on to say he wanted to ensure that Clyde Tombaugh gets the credit he received once and rightly deserves to receive again unquote the credit mister Isaacman speaking of is the discoverer of a planet, a discoverer of worlds rightly should be in the discoverer of World's club. I happen to agree with this. Again. I'm not going to deny the scientific justifications out there, I get it. But maybe for historic reasons we should just make an exception for Pluto and reclassify all the rest of those buggers out there. That's kind of what I think. So anyway, this is an interesting open the chapter from two thousand and six. It feels all like two thousand and six again when we're talking about this, But all right, reopen that chapter from two thousand and six. Let's go back and maybe take one more look at the classification for what is and for what is not a planet. Wes, I think you mis mentioned this to me before we went on air today, that some of those some of those conditions don't match some of the other planets that are already in the Solar.
Speaker 4: System, including Earth, including Earth, and including Jupiter, which quite honestly is the most planity planet you can imagine. It's about as planety as you can get and of course you know the one that's got people on it. I mean, those are the two most planity planets.
Speaker 2: A couple of pretty planty planets there. So anyway, so yeah, so they're gonna go back and they're gonna look at that circumstance again. They're gonna they're gonna reevaluate that scientific criteria and maybe send one more requisition up to the International Astronomical Union the IAU, the governing body for deciding what is and what is not a planet, and maybe let them reevaluate that one more time. Now, what what do you think the odds are in twenty twenty six? The IAU going, oh, yeah, those folks over in America, they've got a good point. Let's go with what they say. Doesn't feel likely right now, but okay, there it is. Maybe it also might.
Speaker 4: And this is just you know, we don't do politics, but just on the spirit of just pointing out the pr side of it, might not be doing themselves any favors by making any sort of statement that sounds like anything on a red hat just for the purposes of international science. That might not be helping the cause. No matter where you stand on the red hat, we're not making necessarily a statement on that. We're just saying it might be a better way to word it just for the purposes of a campaign to get behind it. But that's just my two cents on them.
Speaker 2: That phrase might play well with a senator from Kansas, I'm sure it would, and it probably would play well for I don't know about half the country, but we're not talking about the country.
Speaker 4: We're talking about sending this overseas to sign serious doubts.
Speaker 2: If that's going to play well in front of the International Astronomical.
Speaker 4: Union's that's I just feel like, yeah, that's a fair way to put it. More made of stars right after this, all right, Our next story is one of those stories that you see the headline and you go, my gosh, this almost sounds like, you know, back in the day, one of those atomic era movie titles, the Arctic Tongues of Ionization.
Speaker 2: Wow, Wow, beautiful man like that could have that could have come off the trailer for the thing. It could have this or this the world in the nineteen fifties with James Arnest walking around like Frankenstein, or you know, throw the Antarctic Station of Science.
Speaker 4: Throw way past his prime. Bell Legosi in there and it could be an Edward d. Wood junior movie. You know, it's it's very possible.
Speaker 2: But this came from This came from the website spaceweather dot com.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what are tongues of ionization? This sounds interesting and I'm hoping to god this isn't something that they're about to reveal to us in this big, you know, information drop about aliens that's coming, because it sounds terrifying in that regard.
Speaker 2: Arcticus of ionization. Does you know? It feels enough surreal that it gives you just a little jolt of fear, like, oh, I should pay a tent. It's a news story and the headline is something about Arctic tongues of ionization. I should pay attention to that, And yeah, you probably should, so all right, our good friends from spaceweather dot com wrote this. I call them good friends not because we know them. I just like we quote them a lot on this podcast because they are one of the best space news websites out there. Go check out spaceweather dot com every chance you get, because they're just great. Doctor Tony Phillips and the crew over at space weather dot Com all right, So you and I my friend got to enjoy a phenomenon in the actual nighttime sky together back in May of twenty twenty four. In fact, it was May the tenth of twenty twenty four. I remember because we were slamming texts back and forth to each other, going why is our sky glowing? And the reason it was glowing is because there was a giant geomagnetic storm that took place on May the tenth. Oddly enough, October the tenth of the same year, that was another giant geomagnetic storm. And people might be going, okay, well a big deal. Northern lights. No, we live in Georgia. Yes, these are not northern lights. These are southern lights in the direction of north is what they are, which makes that of tad unusual. So we saw this geomagnetic storm, and the story on spaceweather dot com today is all about the big storm that happened in May of twenty twenty four. If you happen to be hanging out in Antarctica at that time, there were giant tongues of ionization. What does that mean? There were rivers of electric current passing through the atmosphere due to all of the impending solar radiation on the geomagnetic system here around our own Earth that bent down into our atmosphere, that caused these rivers of plasma in our own ionosphere that messed up the GPS system. Friends, And okay, well all right, can we live without you know, Google Maps for a couple hours? I mean, what's the big deal? No, no, no, no, you're thinking like an American. Think like you're in Antarctica and you're in a plane and you're flying over just endless ice sheet, and you need to know where you're going, and they're fresh out of road signs because it's Antarctica, and you're relying on the GPS system, And suddenly the GPS system gets so scrambled because of a solar storm and it's impending tongues of ionization that you have positional errors in your GPS as much as twenty eight meters. Well, wait a minue twenty eight meters? What is that ninety feet? That doesn't seem like a big deal. No, no, no, don't think that way. Think angle right, So it's ninety feet off where you're at right now. But then you set your angle in an airplane, you might miss the you might miss the Antarctic base. That's a problem, right, And so what they've done is they've gone and looked at these events in space weather that have caused deteriorations in the navigational system that is satellite based for positioning systems that affect aviation and maritime navigation at high latitudes. And we think when we think of high latitudes here in the North, we have this north prejudice. We think all the Arctic, like near the North Pole. Well, it's also high latitudes if you go south right, So high latitude in the southern hemisphere is Antarctica. And so they're looking at Antarctica and saying, wow, these big solar events can really cause dangerous circumstances for anybody who might be doing aviation or meritime navigation during a giant solar storm with tinging tongues of ionization in the Arctic. So there you go, friends, If that's interesting to you, check out the story on spaceweather dot com. They actually have the actual journal article linked there and check that out too. It's pretty interesting. And so you can check out all of the inform on how solar storms can wreak havoc on navigation in the Arctic and antarcticut. But really the solar storm is big enough that starts to move toward lower latitudes as well.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about Canada's Poet mission, as they are working on looking for Earth size I guess and even larger than earth sized exoplanets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of northern latitudes, let's go to Canada.
Speaker 4: There you go. Also, you could have segued it with the the art of his two crew, since there was a Canadian there on that mission.
Speaker 2: Also, I could have just said something about backbacon that's.
Speaker 4: True too, yes, yes, or silver medals in hockey. But anyway, that's probably.
Speaker 2: Still that could have gotten there.
Speaker 4: Probably still stings a mite just.
Speaker 2: A little bit, probably probably a little Yeah, wasn't shatterer yet? Never mind? All right, So Canada has proposed a novel microsatellite system and you can read about this on Universe today dot com. This mission called Poet. Poet of course an acronym. Not it's not going to be rhyming. It's not going to be laying down the rhymes up there. No no no wrap battles. Well, I don't know, I mean, it could still have a rap battle for more. But I suppose. But the acronym for POE is photometric Observations of Exoplanet transits, which has a poetry all its own in scientific lingo.
Speaker 4: You know, and as far as uh, you know, space related acronyms go, that's not too bad.
Speaker 2: Let's break this down. Photometric means the measurement of brightness. Observations means, okay, you know that one. Exoplanets are planets around other stars, and transits are when planets around other stars pass in front of the parent star or in other words, on a line between that parent star and the Earth. So as viewed from Earth, that little planet is passing in front of its parent star's face and it's blocking the parent star's face out for a bit. And we can tell that with tell scopes that do photometry and make observations so that they have poet photometric observations of exoplanet transits. This mission, however, is not just designed to find exoplanets. It's designed to find a certain class of exoplanets, and these are specifically Earth sized objects or perhaps super Earth's. What's a super Earth, Well, it's it's a rocky planet that might have some Earth like conditions that may be bigger than our planet Earth, but smaller than say, Uranus. All right, so it's that sized planet orbiting small cool stars. End of story. These are stars smaller than our sun. Why would we pick those? And by the way, they call these ultracool dwarfs, that's an astronomical term. It's not referring to people. Researchers refer to these stars as ultra cool dwarfs. Dwarf stars are the smallest of the stars that are still stars. In other words, they still have fusion going on in their core. They're not nearly as big and bright as our sun, and our sun is not nearly as big and bright as the stars on the top end of the of the categorization for stars. So the categoration for categorization for stars has a sort of non alphabet letter order to it that astronomy students in into astronomy class have had to learn for a long time, and it goes like this, ob a f gkm O b A f gkm O stars the hottest, most massive, most short lived violent stars O stars. They usually end up in supernov explosions in a very short period of time, kind of like the James Dean Live Fast Die young kinds of stars out there in the galaxy. That's the stars B like that, but a little smaller. A. It's starting to get a little bit more sunlight like Sun, like our Sun, but still fairly large ob A. They're very much like the Sun, but just a little bit bigger. OBAFG. Well that's G is the Sun. So the Sun is a G type star. So you have OBAFG, and then K and M are the smallest end of that scale. Those are the dwarf stars. Giant stars are up there in the OB section. Dwarf stars are down there in the KM section, and so those are the smallest stars. Now why would the Poet Space Mission go after the dwarfs Because when an Earth sized planet passes in front of that tiny star, it makes a bigger dip in the overall stars light, and so therefore it's a little easier to detect. Plus the outcome is a little bit more interesting because then it's an Earth sized planet. And we want to know planets out there that are like Earth because we have this, we have this notion in the back of our minds that if we find planets that are about the same size as Earth and might be in that kind of Goldilocks zone around a smaller cooler star, which is a bigger Goldilocks zone by the way, because the star is cooler. Then if those are the if statements, then it might have life, right, and so these might be good planet candidates to find life. So anyway, all right, So the Poet Mission currently slated to be launched from the Great White North somewhere in twenty twenty nine, and we will hope that they are they are successful in locating Earth like planets. The most recent study done that we're discussing now again on Universeday. Dot Com a good place to go see the story. It's an effort to locate the kinds of stars and the kinds of exoplanets that we might want to look at, potential targets and potential outcomes. That's the that's the latest research coming out about the Poet Mission from Canada.
Speaker 4: Side note, My favorite UH poem of all time is by poet Rolf Nelson who did the great Haiku Hi KuPS are easy, but sometimes they don't make sense. Refrigerator. That's my kind of poem.
Speaker 2: My question is, did William Shatner ever read that on one of his albums?
Speaker 4: I mean, we could try to make it happen.
Speaker 2: He did a lot of great Canadian poetry.
Speaker 4: I'll reach out see if we can't make it happen, then I think that would be a fantastic addition to any poetry reading. More made of Stars right after this, let's talk about the floating mountains on the Sun. Is this part of the giant ionization tongues or whatever? How do we got mountains tongues? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Here's what I can tell you is there is a connection, and you are very astute. I try hear that connection out, my friend. So congratulations on being a stute and pointing out the connection between Arctic tongues of ionization and floating mountains on the Sun. Because here's what they have in common, the Sun. Yeah, they have in common. Now, what it points to is they're both connected to the activity cycle on the Sun. And as West pointed out, these giant prominences, which are features that lift off the side of the Sun and can be observed with solar telescopes. Great examples of those on Universe today dot com. Again, So a second story from Universe today dot com. The title of that article on Universityday dot com is the Sun's impossible floating mountains. But what they're really talking about are solar prominences and solar prominences. One of the reasons they're compared to mountains, you know in this headline, is that they can pain approximately the same mass as Mount Everest, so they're not small, but that mass is stretched out over a super gigantic area, so they are very low density either loops or kind of linear features sticking up off the edge of the Sun. We observe these from our own solar telescope here at the Coca Cola Space Science Center, so we actually have observations of solar prominences that our students and faculty have made right here from our observatory at Space Science Center. So the interesting thing about these, according to a new study by the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research in Germany, is there's a reason why they hang around a long time. Some of these loops can go on for weeks or even months, suspended above the solar atmosphere, which is that kind of top layer is what we call the photosphere, and they appear to be suspended with no touching connection, so you can see them above the photosphere. Without being able to see the kind of the legs or the physical connection to that photosphere. That's because they're hanging in magnetic loops. Now, listen, that's not the new piece. We knew this already. We knew that they were in powerful magnetic fields. What we didn't know is how long they could be sustained and what is actually causing the sustaining processes. Well, the new research from Max Blanc Institute is that there are on the surface supporting loops of magnetic field that feed into that prominence and continue to supply the material that hangs in that solar loop for those weeks or even months of time. And we didn't really understand that that was the flow process. But now it looks like, based on new computer simulations from Moxplunk, that it's those ground loops are not ground, but the photosphere level loops that are feeding the giant floating loops with new material that cause them to hang for such long periods of time and sustain them for more than you know, hours or days, but on into weeks or months. So a much more complicated process than we understood being explored and sorted out by the folks at Max plumkins toute. Remember that when these loops collapse, that's when you have giant solar flares that occur. So that's one of the ways that solar flares can be initiated on the Sun. And when they are initiated, then they can have coronal mass ejections as the result of that, which then throws all that particle radiation at the Earth and causes you guessed it, arctic tongues of ionization in Antarctica. So it is all tied, as mister Carroll has suggested. And so there you go. We're all connected. Friends, You me, loops on the Sun, Arctic tongues of ionization. We're all just one big, one big solar system out there.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about what's going on at Columbus State University's Coca Cola Space Science Center. A concert is just days away now.
Speaker 2: And that's part of the solar system too, along with Pluto.
Speaker 4: It is all just and when you can connect a musical instrument to graphics on a screen above, it's kind of the same thing, right.
Speaker 2: It's good, it's good, And that's exactly what's gonna happen the next Tuesday coming up, which is May the fifth, We're gonna on Tuesday evening, we're gonna be having our next Music under the Dome concert event. But this one's going to be just a little bit different. It's going to feature a special guest and musical artist, Dan Tepfer from New York City coming down to visit us here a Coca Cola Space Science Center and Columbus, Georgia. The reason Dan's coming is because in our planetarium we have a disc Levier nine foot concert grand piano from Yamaha, a very generous gift to clumb State University from Gail Greenblatt, who's one of CSU's amazing supporters. That piano has a unique feature. It is a concert grand and it plays just fine all on its own when people are playing it, but it has the additional capability of being hooked up to electronics and being able to send out electronic control signals that can generate images on the dome of the planetarium as well. And the world's leading expert in interfacing these kinds of digital instruments with large format screens like our planetarium is Dan Teffer and that's who's going to be here. So Dan will be performing our music under the Dome Concert on May fifth. That concert begins about five thirty if you buy tickets, the reception begins at five with wine and cheese. There are still a handful of tickets left online. However, there are a few tickets left day of the show as well. Friends, this is an amazing concert experience, unlike anything that you've seen before. You might say, well, wait a minute, I saw dot Dan Tepfer last year when he came, Yes you did. Dan was performing solo at that concert. This time, he's actually going to be performing in conjunction with the students and faculty from the Shwob School of Music. So they're gonna have a few of the musicians from Schwob here at Columbus State University performing live with Dan Tepfer at that event. It's a one off. It's unique. Come down and check it out. You can find out more about this concert and all the ticket information at our website. Visit www dot cc s SC dot org. Charlie Charlie SamSam Charlie dot org. And yes, I know you no longer have to type the w's, but I still say it that way anyway, just to get your attention so you don't say, what was that first letter? He said, just www dot Here comes cc SSC dot org.
Speaker 4: Sean, and I thank you for listening, and we will do this again next week. Overhead Door Company of Columbus has all of your garage door needs covered. Residential and commercial service and repairs. If you need a new garage door, or you're just looking to upgrade or repair your current door, Overhead Door Company of Columbus has you covered. Plus they've got your emergency repairs or service covered as well. Seven oh six three five eight forty five hundred seven oh six three five eight forty five hundred Odccolumbus dot com