Speaker 1: Welcome to spacing out with BB and Jason this week, covering Foundation season two, episode five decided in the scene.
Speaker 2: Yes, welcome to spacy Now.
Speaker 3: I'm BB and I'm Jason, and we are discussing the Apple TV sci fi series Foundation, one episode at a time and spoiler free. This is our first time watching the series, and we're not watching ahead, so we don't have our spoiler section or really any spoilers at all. In this episode, Harry experiences a vision of Rach before waking aboard the Beggar, which crash lands on Igness due to negative ions on Trentor. Sarah gains access to Cleon's chambers, argues with brother Day, and ultimately accepts his marriage proposal. Then Sarah and Rue discover Themrzil's robotic nature on Igness. Salver encounters are seemingly alive Hugo, but Harry grows suspicious, leading to the revelation that he and the others are telepaths who can after the trio they are brought before tell them Bond, the leader of the Mentallics, who already knows about their plans for a second Foundation, and says that is not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Vive check. Did we like the episode overall?
Speaker 2: Eh, it was all right. I got pissed off a couple of times, but it was fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I feel like it was a mix of some good and some bad. For me, it was some things I didn't like and then some things I was really into, So it averages out to be okay.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's like a great like marker of an episode. Let's say it was like, all right, it passed.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll get into it later, but there's just some aspects that I'm not vibing with.
Speaker 1: Trivia time, What facts for news could we uncover for The Sighted and the Scene?
Speaker 3: All right? This is Foundation season two, episode five, The Sighted and the Scene. This originally aired on August eleventh, twenty twenty three. Written by Joel Garfinkel and Jane Espinson and directed by Alex Graves. So we talked about Jane Espinson in the previous episode, So talk about the other writer, Joel Garfinkel, who has a handful of writing credits, including a show called Camgirls another one called Ordinary Joe. But she also worked on several shows as a script coordinator, including season one of Foundation. A script coordinator is someone who kind of manages the formatting, distribution of scripts and the continuity and all that stuff. So it's kind of cool that she moved up from that job into the writer's room and then director Alex Graves directing credits and include the West Wing, Game of Thrones, seven episodes of Foundation, and many more, and twelve of the fourteen pilot episodes he's directed were picked up for a series, Oh Wow, which is a lot because most pilots do not get picked up. And notable to us, he's from Kansas City, Missouri and intended to University of Kansas. A fellow Jayhawk.
Speaker 1: Deep Space Dive. Let's break down some of our thoughts on the episode. You can share your thoughts with us through email or social media. We may use your comments on an upcoming episode.
Speaker 2: Well, I vaguely remember anything about this show, and yeah, so upon a clarity, it's just with the way our schedules and lives have been.
Speaker 3: It's been several weeks since we last watched an episode of this. I think in terms of the episodes being released, they'll probably still be every week, but there was a big gap here for us in terms of watching, so it was kind of hard to remember exactly what was going on in every storyline, but feel pretty caught up on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really hate this Harry Selden guy. I don't understand how he's like the basis of the foundation, you know what I mean, because he turned himself into an idea, but now he's a real person.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's annoying, too condescending.
Speaker 3: He is, And the one silver lining of that is multiple times in the episode they kind of shut him down for the way he talks to them.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's weird. He's weird. I don't like him. He's not my favorite character right now, and I'm just like, what's the point of him? I don't know. I was really interested in this like group of people they ran into though.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, and then we kind of bring up some old characters. We saw a vision of Rach and of Salbar's boyfriend. I don't remember his name, so I don't think he's going to come up again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like he's a goner.
Speaker 3: That scene with Rach. I'm not sure if that was like any new information for us, or if we already kind of understood all that about how he wasn't supposed to involve Gail in any of this.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he was. I mean, that wasn't even him right, like.
Speaker 3: No, but it was a a memory of what happened.
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting to meet people that are on the same wavelength as you, like that call you and like lure you in. That's so interesting. And then to use a child as a deity and they're like, actually, don't worship children, it's not good for them. That was really good. And it also kind of like juxtaposition to the ideology of Empire and how you are worshiping this like entity from childhood all the way up to adulthood, and that whole storyline was super interesting in this one. I think that's where the meat of the episode was this season, for this particular episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I like how they're showing that there's more I think they phrased there's more like competition out there. Because first, so we know that Harry was cloned. That's how he has a body. Now I don't know exactly the details of how that came to be, but so the Empire is not the only one who can do cloning. And then we have this group with these mental powers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's very interesting.
Speaker 3: And they seem to be a step ahead of Harry and Gale and salvoor So.
Speaker 2: And they want to destroy the Foundation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or at least they don't want to be part of the second Foundation.
Speaker 2: Whatever that means. I still don't get it. I still don't get it. What the fuck is a foundation? It's a it's like a collection of knowledge for when the world ends somewhat.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's confusing. I don't get it. I'm just like, I don't know. I like the Empire storyline because he's like creepy KORALI like the whole interaction with his step mom robot was fucking awful and it made me cringe so bad.
Speaker 3: It's super cringe. It was awful. That whole section. Just it's like it was written by a It's like a teen boys fantasy.
Speaker 2: Me and my hot mom gonna hold your dick and say you feel ready.
Speaker 3: And then there's also there's like one like him expecting Sarah to be a virgin. He has an idea in his head or somehow, and then there's also the scene of the brother Dusk well I guess when he was brother day. It's so confusing, but when he's like walking to that garden, like going to pick out a woman from like he's shopping.
Speaker 2: Are you like not familiar with the common stereotype of women being like virtuous and men being like disgustingly like filled with just semen in such excess that they must expel it with any woman that's willing and able and sometimes unwilling, and it's totally fine. Do you not understand the double standard that women live with every day with the Madonna horr complex.
Speaker 3: No, it's the first I'm hearing.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yeah. No, every fucking romance novel, every fucking romance novel, every book written for women by women, in most cases is a man who has a laundry list of ladies that he's conquered, and the woman has only been touched by maybe like a fun horse ride. Maybe maybe one day she was churning butter a little too hard and got excited. But her first experience in a dalliance with a man is this very rough, knowing hand that's gonna guide her into womanhood. And that's the romance, which, to me, I could take it or leave it, Like I understand what fantasy is, but I think it's harmful when you talk about women's body counts or women's values. When it comes to their experience, I don't think a woman having any quote unquote mind eyelage on her makes her less of a woman or more of a woman. Experience makes a person experienced, and I think that can be intimidating to a lot of men, especially because it is harder for men to gain experience compared to women. I think a woman might have an easier time finding men to conquer versus a man. And if a man does do this, it's usually nothing of significance in terms of a relationship. It's just an interaction. So very interesting conversation about that, and also the age difference disgusting, gross vile, And she like getting on top and being in a position of power, and he's like, actually, well, actually I know more about sex, so the right way to do it is me on top. That was so ick like right then, and there Sahara desert in the pussy. It's the Sahara desert like that, right there was the line that literally killed the vibe for me, like no, sir no. But it also shows how he refuses to be conquered by this strange woman. Because if we remember back to the scene where he was getting fucked by his robot mom, she was on top. That's how she got the knife in the head. Yeah, so does her pleasure not count? Like it's very interesting, very nuanced. I would love to like for that interaction to have been more. I think it was very abrupt and very rough, and I was worried for a minute that he was gonna rape her. But thankfully he has a rectile dysfunction at the correct time and she doesn't have to fuck him. But somehow they're engaged. Hooray, what an engagement. Not only are you getting mansplained how to have pleasure, brole in a course, but also your family is like being investigated, and the fucking robot lady tells on her and says, don't worry, it will never lead back to you, And it's like, what the fuck is happening?
Speaker 3: Bro Yeah, so I think that's the first confirmation that he did kill her family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had something to do with it, for sure. But the fucking revelation of the fucking episode was when they find the memories of the person who worked on him the day he was dying, and they find out that the bitch is a robot. H fucking and that moment that should have been more explosive, that should have been like like, I think they did really good, but I wish we would have lingered there more, like I wish they would have been able to put together like, oh my god, how long has she been here? Oh my god? You know what does she know? Like can we access her memories? Because apparently her memories are like double downloaded. And that whole mess with the memories was very interesting when they talked to the original Homeboy. I didn't know they could do that. Yeah, either, I didn't know they could do that. I wish they would have explored that in earlier seasons because I would be there every day trying to trick it, trying to figure out like the algorithm, you know, because there's something happening, there's something amiss, and I think Brother don No, Brother Dusk is like uncovering it. When he looked at the memories from the original to them, He's like, he has two hundred memories and I only have eighty seven? Tops, How is where is the discrepancy? What is going on here? What are we not knowing? And we don't know how to ask the question of what is missing because you don't know what's missing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think once we got past all their sexcapades, I think the cleon stuff was actually really interesting and how there's so much division between them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how the og was like to be divided is to not be and it does not you, brother, It is totally not you.
Speaker 3: They're like, yeah, but okay, we still have this problem with brother day.
Speaker 2: Can you help us resolve it? No, He's like, don't worry about it. This has nothing to do with you right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Peace and love.
Speaker 2: Peace and love very interesting. I love. I did like that part. And I also enjoyed the older couple kind of watching themselves as the younger couple watching the memory of their interaction.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 2: I'm glad it wasn't negative for her because it could have been. It could have been something that she didn't want to do.
Speaker 3: So that's good, Yeah, because that could very easily be uncomfortable to watch yourself doing something you have no memory of. Yeah, Like, oh, anyone ever showed you a video of like when you were drunk or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or when you were really young and you don't have a memory of it, Like being that young so very interesting, and I'm glad they kind of made it kind of a romantic moment for them. Very interesting that Dusk has a romance. When Dawn had a romance, it was very volatile and very scary and undercover. But now that as Dusk, it's more free, relaxed. It's very it's not we don't know yet if there's any manipulation, because there could be that and we don't know yet. She's like learning about like, oh, this is where they store the memories, so there is some intel that's being drawn from that experience.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like, is she also like sincere in this relationship at the same.
Speaker 2: Time, We don't know. But I appreciate her being present and her having like this history because I think in a show where we do so much jumping in time with like millennia or like decades or centuries or whatever, it's nice to just go back, like a couple years back, like when I was young. To play with time is interesting in that way because we keep jumping forward, but I like to go back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what else? That was really our two storylines, right was?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was it?
Speaker 3: Two groups?
Speaker 2: Yeah, very simple?
Speaker 3: All right, Well, then let's do our Astral queen.
Speaker 1: Astral queen, who was the standout character in the episode.
Speaker 3: Who was the best character in this episode? We had Salvar kind of being a badass.
Speaker 2: Oh, she was so good when she when they landed, Like the first thing she did was like, I saw people out there, we need to go. But then she got fucking got man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she saw those eyes.
Speaker 2: And those unrealistically blue eyes. Yeah, white people, man.
Speaker 3: When I did like her her attitude when they met the religious cult. Yeah, we're like, sorry, we use your memories against you. So yeah, fuck you for that. And then so our other options would probably be the Queen.
Speaker 2: Say, doing her sleuthing, doing.
Speaker 3: Her investigation, which was successful in learning.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give it to that evil bitch that wants to destroy the thing that's the show's about.
Speaker 3: What's her name? Tell them bonds, that's hers. There will be no second foundation.
Speaker 2: That's what I say. Fuck this show. No, I didn't mean it like that, but I like that she was ready for them, She lured them in, she tricked them, and then she made them feel safe, and she's infiltrating their minds and she wants to destroy everything they stand for. Yeah, all in like fucking what like five minutes, three minutes of airtime screen time, and.
Speaker 3: She called out Harry on his misogyny when.
Speaker 2: He's like, do they not speak for themselves? And then the line you should not worship children, it's not good for them iconic. I want that on a T shirt because you know some parents like literally like it's like idle worship, like they're little kings and queens. They're people, freedom like people. It's yours.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with I'm just gonna go with Salve War. I feel like she was the one really fighting to keep the energy up in this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was doing a lot. Oh. I really hated when Harry was like, don't think about salt War, don't think about that, Like, bitch, get away for me.
Speaker 3: Like she's like, then stop bringing it.
Speaker 2: Up for real. God, what an annoying bastard.
Speaker 3: Ah. Okay, So I think that wraps up our coverage of the sighted and the scene. The next episode will be episode six, Why the Gods made Wine answers to drinking, So thank you for spacing out with us. And remember, don't worship a child as a god. It's not good for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let me bite Thank you for spacing out with Phoebe and Jason. You can help us out by subscribing and leaving a positive rating or review. Remember, you can contact us through email or social media. Next time, we will cover Foundation season two, episode six, Why the Gods Made Wine.