Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talk. Like back, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 3: After the Cubs defeat the Dodgers in a big way tonight ten to four the final score. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium with you until eleven thirty tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have phone lines open, and you want to get in because not only will we take your questions and comments, but I also have two pairs of tickets to give away to tomorrow night's Dodgers Cubs game. And I have two different Dodger Cubs related trivia questions for you, So we'll get to the first one a little bit later, but just wanted to give you a heads up.
Speaker 2: You might want to have your.
Speaker 3: Ears open because we do have a couple of pairs of tickets to give away to tomorrow night's game. And also later in the show, you will hear from Mookie Beds, who is the Dodgers Roberto Clemente Award nominee, and Mooki also spoke about the expectations he and the rest of the Dodgers have played with this season. We'll check in with Jose Mota and get to some postgame reaction in the Dodger clubhouse. Momentarily, eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Both the Padres and Diamondbacks were off tonight, so the lead shrinks by a half a game. The Padres are five and a half back of the Dodgers, while the Diamondbacks are six and a half back of the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: In the NL West, there are.
Speaker 3: Only eighteen more aims to go in the regular season. Time is on the Dodgers' side as far as clinching this division goes. Their magic number is at thirteen, so we are getting closer to the Dodgers thinking.
Speaker 2: About clinching the NL West.
Speaker 3: And if you had to ask me, I know, I said on the road it would be in Miami, But it's looking more like when the Dodgers were turned home from this upcoming road trip. If things continue to go in the same way they're going lately, the Dodgers should be able to clinch the NL West at Dodgers Stadium, either against the Rockies or against that team that is chasing them, the San Diego Padres. But there is a lot of baseball between now and then. Walker Buehler is still somewhat of an enigma because I'm not sure you can count on this guy, not this version.
Speaker 2: He pitched well.
Speaker 3: Against two teams that were not very good offensively, the last one being the Angels. It's alarming that he's giving up a lot of home runs. He has given up two home runs in five of his last thirteen starts. A we can hear about stuff, and his stuff is as good as it was in twenty one or tonight.
Speaker 2: His stuff was good? Was it good?
Speaker 3: He gave up three runs in a two run home run on a ninety six fastball, and then his fastball was trending down ninety four. I did think he was going in the right direction in his last two starts, So I'm not ready to just say, you know what, no chance, No way should the Dodgers allow Walker Bueller to start a game in the playoffs. But can he really be trusted He's one in five with an a of five ninety five in thirteen starts this year. Can he really be trusted? That's that's the biggest question facing the Dodgers between now and then, because it's one thing to believe that he can do it, or want to believe that he can do it. And look at all you know the data that says, oh, his stuff is as good as ever. I just don't see that translating on the field consistently. And if you give up three or four runs in the first inning of a playoff game, are you telling me the Dodgers are going to be able to recover from that. I mean, they tried to, but the hole was so deep tonight they couldn't come back. Mookie match tried to make this a game. He drove in three of the Dodgers' four runs. He hit a two run home run in the seventh inning. It was seven to four, So if the Dodgers would have kept it there, there was a chance they would come back. But it was against the Cubs. The Cubs are not a great team. Their bullpen is not a great bullpen, their offense is okay. They're not even challenging for the week and now central and when you talk about their wildcard chances, those are starting to dim which each passing day. So let's not get this twisted. The Cubs scored ten runs off of the Dodgers. It wasn't the Padres or the Diamondbacks, it was the Cubs. And I was a little surprised that Walker Buehler was allowed to go out there to start the sixth inning. I did not think he was pitching that well to be allowed to go back out there. But obviously Dave Roberts was trying to get some length out of him to ease the burden on his bullpen. Let's head downstairs right now to here from Walker Buehler on Sports at LA.
Speaker 4: Let's scree this from the jump. Obviously, three rounds in the first it can kind of suck the energy out of the building. And you know, it's hard of the first thing that's been a weird thing for me this year. And you know, so it's a lot to ask of the rest of our guys to dig me out of a hole every game.
Speaker 5: Why do you think you were jumping earlier?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I made a couple back of pitches obviously, you know, to belly you know, I'm kind of trying to let the ball go and and he clips it. He's had a lot of home runs, but you know, it's not where I'm trying to go with the ball, and he kind of made me pay for it.
Speaker 2: And yeah, they put good swings on.
Speaker 4: A couple of decent pitches, obviously a ton of hits, and just it wasn't goodness or home run ball is just.
Speaker 6: More elevated than you were intending to, both to Belly and to Bush.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think that's a super surprising thing. They're both at the top of the zone.
Speaker 5: Before the game, we're tuggling with Dave and he acknowledged that the injuries of rotation have kind of opened up a lane for you to pitch your way into a postseason roll. Do you think in those terms every time you.
Speaker 4: Go out there now, No, I mean, at some point, like, given the way his season is going, I'm kind of just trying to survive at some point, And you know, the past two of past two or three have given me a little bit of confidence and feeling more like myself, But you know, at some point, I'm just kind of waiting on that six on one and feel good and you know, punch more more than innings I throw and things like that. So at the end of the day, I've got to perform. And I've kind of said that for a long time, so you know, I got to perform for for myself, but more for our team. You know, we're we're kind of getting to the end of a race here.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 4: Whether I pitched in the playoffs or not or whatever, like, we need to make the playoffs and be in a good spot and let the guys that have carried us all year kind of carry us wherever we're going to go. So you know, at this point, I'm trying to go and and a s win the game when I start.
Speaker 3: There is Walker Buehler, and he seems to be more real about himself than anybody else. I thought he was spot on with his evaluation of himself. And uh, Walker Buehler is not a guy to mince words. He's not a guy to have some sort of false idea of who he is, because he has been very honest about the way he's pitching, going back to at the end of last year on why he shut things down and also in spring training where he was and why they were doing things and why he wouldn't be starting until a certain point in time in May. And I thought his evaluation of his performance tonight and the way he's been pitching lately was spot on. So kudos to Walker Bueller for being as real as it can be.
Speaker 2: Right there.
Speaker 3: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones after the Cubs beat Buehler and the Dodgers tonight ten to four. Let's go out to Dave who was at Dodgers Stadium tonight.
Speaker 2: Hi, Dave, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hey, Dave, just wanted to give my two cents here on your show about Walker Buehler.
Speaker 8: I was at the stadium today.
Speaker 7: I had this game lined up because I wanted to see Walker Buehler, my guy, pitch.
Speaker 9: To me.
Speaker 7: He's my favorite Dodger of time, well not of all times, so sorry, but I really love Walker Bueler and.
Speaker 8: This season specifically since he's.
Speaker 7: Gotten back the injured list.
Speaker 10: I've I've observed that it's just like.
Speaker 11: The mentality like this is at the end all be all of why he's not performing, but it's just like he doesn't have a good head on his shoulders. It seems like he's just very defeated and frustrated and it just kind of spirals on him. And uh, that's what I see with my eyes on TV, and that's what I saw today at the game while he's.
Speaker 7: Warming up, And I just wanted to know, you, you know better than us fans. You you're you're around these guys.
Speaker 10: You you've set.
Speaker 7: Eyes on these guys more than we have, and UH just wanted to know what's her perspective.
Speaker 10: Do you feel like.
Speaker 7: That that's an assessment that you would agree with? What do you think?
Speaker 3: I feel like Walker in the last five starts, you feel like it's two steps forward and then one step back. And that's the way I felt tonight after his last two starts. I isn't doing cartwheels over the way he pitched against those two teams that obviously aren't great offensive teams, but certainly he was encouraging and he needed confidence, right And I started to feel like before these games, the last three or four starts, including today, he did have the confidence the old Walker Buehler swagger about himself.
Speaker 2: But also what comes with.
Speaker 3: That is Walker Bueller's ego when it's on, when he's on the mound. I think back to earlier this season, he wanted to throw a fastball by Corey Seeger. Well, he doesn't have the command that he used to have right now to be able to execute that pitch, and Sieger made him pay for it. Same thing tonight, Saya Suzuki. He strikes him out, and all of a sudden, he's feeling he's feeling like big. You know that that ego is bigger than ever. He sees his former teammate Cody Bellinger, he hasn't faced him before, tries to throw ninety six up in the strike zone to him, misses his and Cody made him pay. Why would you throw Cody Bellinger a first pitch fastball? We've seen Cody, he loves fastball's Dave. So yeah, I just think like the pitch sequencing to me has been a question mark, not only when Bueller pitches, but other guys pitch. And I just think, you know, you feel like he's getting through the first inning and then all of a sudden, the bridge collapses. He had two outs and then he gave up three runs. It just is so weird and bizarre that he's able to get too quick outs, but then after that the wheels fall off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you cannot.
Speaker 2: Put that in a playoff game, Dave. That's the thing, and he was.
Speaker 3: More real about it then I heard Dave Roberts b I mean, he was pretty transparent about the way he pitched tonight, and I thought that was refreshing. At least he can self evaluate himself pretty well and not try to, you know, duck away from what we all saw.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, Dave, Dave Roberts doesn't have very many options. He's gonna have to lean on Walker Buller for a better rewards because there's no week he doesn't bodies at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at this point, I would say so. And thanks for the phone call, Dave. And Dave's a guy that protects his players publicly and I applaud him for that. But we saw what was happening out there and it just wasn't pretty. And really it makes it concerning that we all want this to work.
Speaker 2: For Walker Buehler.
Speaker 3: He's a great guy, great competitor, great big game pitcher.
Speaker 2: In his Dodger.
Speaker 3: Career fifteen postseason starts with an ERA under three. Everybody wants this to work, But so far, I'm not sure, you can say definitively. Yeah, I want Walker Buehler starting a playoff game for me, especially in a short series. Let's go out to Rich who is at Dodger Stadium tonight. Hi, Rich, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Hey, how's the going.
Speaker 2: I guess we've had better nights, Rich, But I'm doing well.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I feel I was. I was excited and I thought we were gonna have the late ending come back, but it didn't happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what you think about Cody Billinger and Michael Bush driving in six of the ten runs tonight?
Speaker 10: You know what? I was getting into the parking lot and I was kind of bummed. I miss a belly bomb in person. I guess the opposing team. I can't hate on Belly but he had a great play in the outfield of the extra ending or end of the inning too. But it is what it is. But however, Walker Wheeler, I don't think they can trust him in the playoffs. Is he a bulletin piece by chance in October? And also my concern is it seems every time the Dodger's safe, a decent, well known starter or someone that has our number, we can't hit him and October is all pitching. So what do we do in October? Will the offense show up or are we just gonna.
Speaker 3: Well, I feel like the Dodger offense is pretty good, Rich, I mean, I know tonight wasn't a great showing, but top to bottom most nights, I feel like one through nine the Dodger offense is pretty good. So I feel like the offense is the least of their worries right now. Thanks for the phone call. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The MVPs did their job tonight. They get on base, they drove in runs, they got on scoring position. Otani was two for four tonight, on base three times. He stole his forty seventh base of the year. Mookie Betts was on base three times tonight, he hit a two run home run in the seventh inning, and Freddie Freeman was on base all four times tonight with three walks.
Speaker 2: So they did their job.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, Max Munsey did not deliver with the bases loaded a couple of different times. He did sacrifice fly home Otani on the second time he came up with the bases loaded, but obviously you're looking for more right there, especially when you're in an early hole. Let's go out to Ben who also was at Dodgers Stadium tonight, fifty thousand plus at Chevez Ravine tonight.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Ben?
Speaker 9: Hey, dave been better, but glad to meet you and happy to be on the live.
Speaker 2: Hey, great to meet you too.
Speaker 3: At least you got to see two former Dodgers beat the Dodgers tonight, rather than you know, a giant or a Padre do it. At least you know two good guys and Bush and Bellinger.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was cool. And we were over behind first base and we were seeing him get some respect, that he was getting some respect from the fans from the last five or so years. So, yeah, you're right, that was nice. I guess my question for you is where do you think the rotation could go if Bueler isn't a part of it in the October lineup? And then here's the thing.
Speaker 3: I'm a big believer, and I may be completely crazy, but I'm a firm believer that Glass Now and Yamamoto will be in the Dodger rotation come Game one of the NLDS. What the Dodgers can expect from them, I can't tell you that. But if they're healthy and they get at least two starts under their belt before the postseason, I feel like that's all you can ask for if you're a Dodger fan, to have glass Now and yama Moto upright and able to start games one and two of a playoff series. I think Jack Flaherty is right there with them as well. I wouldn't you know, I wouldn't mind having Jack Flaherty start Game one with those two guys behind him.
Speaker 2: So I'm a big believer.
Speaker 3: With Yamamoto pitching tomorrow, glass Now on pace to travel with the Dodgers to Atlanta and throw a simulated game. Those are all positive signs that they're going to be there for the playoffs.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's amazing, that's those are those words are music to my ears. And so how do you think about them getting ramped up for faytime postseason matchup?
Speaker 12: Like?
Speaker 9: Do they have enough time to get back to yama Moto's pitch tomorrow?
Speaker 3: So that's huge because the Dodgers still had three more weeks to go, so he should be able to get at least two starts in and hopefully glass Now can get at least a one or two in as well. He's pitched more this year than Yamamoto, so I think that's fair. And also, let's keep in mind we can't ignore the fact that Jack Flaherty has had some back issues this season. The Dodgers have got to keep Jack Flaherty healthy as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely, all right, Well, I appreciate your take as always.
Speaker 2: Okay, Ben, thanks for the phone call. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Cubs beat the Dodgers tonight ten to four. Cody Bellinger had a two run home run.
Speaker 2: Tonight.
Speaker 3: Michael Bush had four hits, including a solo home run off of Walker Buehler that went over the short wall in the top of the fourth inning. I've brought this up during the Clubhouse show, and I even tweeted it when it happened. I was really confused why Chris Taylor just stopped in his tracks, because if he keeps going there to the spot in front of where that ball landed over the short wall, two rows back, Taylor catches that home run ball, and maybe this game is a little bit different, And certainly Walker Buehler's line does not show two home runs. But Taylor looked like he was trying to play the ball off the wall. But if he kept going, it feels like he misjudged it. Obviously he did, because if he runs to the spot, he catches it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Oh, we got a trifecta of callers that were at Dodger Stadium tonight.
Speaker 2: Hi, Brian, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: Hey Dan, how you doing?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 2: I love talking baseball.
Speaker 3: It's great to see Cody Billager, Michael Bush back at Dodgers Stadium too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I was down the right field line by by Bellinger. He was a talking ball to defense in between. Seems like people were generally happy to see him. But uh, you know, I got a different fib and what would going on just with all the starting pitching injuries and the debaffle of the first innings and innings one of Games one and two last year, it's just concerning that I was wondering if they were just trying to push Bueller as far as they could to see if he could do it. Because we all know Dodger Fann from playoff time. He's as tenacious and as reliable as anyone in the playoffs, and we all would love to see him be ready. And so I was wondering if they were just trying to say, hey, we got you, give us what you got in the hopes of what if we don't know what we're gonna get from Glasgow, Yamamoto, Clarity and Kershaw. It's the last thing we need injuries.
Speaker 2: So hold on, Brian.
Speaker 3: I think I know there's a better sense of what you're getting with those three guys in Flarty, Glass Now and Yamamoto if they're healthy. I mean, I feel like you do know a lot more what you're going to get or what you hope to get.
Speaker 2: Uh are you going?
Speaker 3: There's been so many first innings for Walker Bueller where things have gone sideways, even with two outs.
Speaker 2: That's concerning.
Speaker 3: But he did minimize damage up until he was going back out there for the sixth inning and let the first two batters get on.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And it's scary, And I thought of it more from an its situation. What if the other guys can't go and now they're by process from elimination, but they aren't.
Speaker 2: Going to go.
Speaker 3: I'm believing that they are going to go Yamamoto.
Speaker 2: That's not a ghost on the mound tomorrow.
Speaker 3: That will actually be number eighteen Yoshi Yamamoto making the start tomorrow night against Shota Imanaga. Brian, nobody seems to acknowledge that fact that the guy is actually going to pitch in the game tomorrow. It's not like he's weeks away. He's pitching tomorrow.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but it wasn't ave a shoulder injury, and you know how those things are. You just never right. I'm going to start barking again.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just saying he's pitching tomorrow. I'm not gonna say that his shoulder is gonna fall off tomorrow. If he's pitching tom tomorrow, makes me believe that he's healthy to pitch.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but if it's shorter did ball off in the middle of the game, that would make a really good highlight.
Speaker 2: I think sure would.
Speaker 3: But I don't believe that's going to happen. Thanks for the phone call, Brian, appreciate it. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 2: There is so much doom and gloom around here.
Speaker 3: Number one, the Dodgers' magic number to clinch the NL West is thirteen with eighteen to go. Number two Tyler Glasnow is going to throw his second bullpen session and we'll be pitching in a simulated game Saturday in Atlanta. Number three Yamamoto has been I feel like checked off every box possible to be able to be on the Mount tomorrow in a game for the first time.
Speaker 2: Since June fifteenth.
Speaker 3: Jack Flaherty yesterday just went seven and a third scoreless innings. Yes, the fastball velocity average was down a half mile an hour. Okay, I'll concede that, But he looked very happy at the Sparks game court side yesterday, so that tells me his back was feeling pretty good after that game last night. So can we just take a deep breath, exhale and believe that these guys have been trying to get one hundred percent or as close to one hundred percent healthy at the right time, and it's starting to come to fruition with Yamamoto on the Mount tomorrow night for the first time since June fifteenth. All Right, I have your first trivia question for a pair of tickets to tomorrow night's game between the Dodgers and Cubs. I have two pairs to give away. So here is the number one trivia question. Which years did Cody Bellinger win the National League Rookie of the Year and the National League MVP eight six, six, nine, eight, seven, two five seventy. If you had that answer, you'll have a chance to win a pre tickets to tomorrow night's game between the Dodgers and Cubs. Let's go out to one of my favorites U Sports Talk calling legend, Iray Craig from Long Beach.
Speaker 12: What up, Craig, Hey, Davy, what's going on? My friends?
Speaker 2: Oh? How you doing? Iray?
Speaker 12: I'll tell you, man, like you said, I'm listening to all the fans here, and uh, I mean, we do have the best record in baseball, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 2: Tied with the Phillies for the best record in baseball.
Speaker 12: Now, that's what I thought. And there might be a little bit of a doom and gloom. Yeah, I mean, I understand it. We failed to get past the rounds that we should be getting through. And I understand that they're they're the only looking at what's happened?
Speaker 3: People change, Craig, those were last two years.
Speaker 12: I really thought. I really thought Clary yesterday did a great job man, he looked good, no matter that his fastball was down a half a mile on an hour or whatever. I mean, that guy has what it takes. He's going almost eight innings throwing shut out ball. That's what the Dodgers need. I mean, besides Kershaw, who's questionable at this point. I mean, I gotta say our rotation it's getting healthy. But man, it's just I don't know if I hope we have the horses to get it done. Man, that's all I'm worried about. I mean, they're playing great. There's, like I said, the best team in baseball. You can't argue with that. But come playoff time, I hope that they have the horses and the arms to get through these divisional series and nlcs and all this, because another failure.
Speaker 6: Is just going to be catastrophic.
Speaker 12: Fan for these fans, who are you know already sounding like it's catastrophic.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, thank you for the phone call, Iray Craig. I'm not sure you calmed the waters, but you certainly put it him to perspective, so appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks for calling in, and we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: Okay, All right, by y'all.
Speaker 12: Let's see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: All right, see you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: There it goes Iray Craig and long Beach, a long time sports talk caller, and appreciate him checking in eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. It's funny what he brought up, because that's the sense we all been getting if the Dodgers don't win the World Series. This was a complete failure, and to a certain extent, every year is if you don't win the World Series, and you're the Dodgers since twenty thirteen, right, they've had the talent to be able to do it. They've only gotten it done once. I know you want to say that twenty seventeen was stolen from them. To a certain extent, it was. But let's not forget. Game seven was here at Dodger Stadium. Game two was here at Dodger Stadium. If not for Marwin Gonzalez hitting a home run off of Kenley Jansen, the Dodgers go to Houston up two OHO. But that's neither here or there. But before today's game, Mookie Betts was named the Dodgers nominee for the Roberto Clemente Award. We'll get to what he had to say about that honor, But he also was asked the question about whether or not the joy is not as great this season because of the expectations of the twenty twenty four Dodgers fan base.
Speaker 13: You know, it's you come come to the park each and every day and you want to have fun. And this is a game, right, this is a game. We're supposed to have fun with it. And when you mess up, yeah, I mean, people are gonna mess up, but it shouldn't meet the end of the world. And I think the expectations placed on us make it make it the end of the world. They make it, you know, where it's not as fun going out there to play because if you're not flawless, you get completely criticized, like and you're criticized by people that are not out here doing it, you know. And so that's the part that definitely makes it a job. But it's what we signed up for as well, and so you know, kind of is what it is. We gotta go out there, whether it's fun or not. They gotta go play baseball more this year, maybe at an expectation space something if you expect this Winther's yeah, I mean, of course, you go, you know, spend that kind of money, bring bringing the guys that we brought in. There's gonna be more at an expectation definitely from the outside, but you know, we we don't show up here not expecting to win. You know, we we expect to win. But the rest of it, like we're gonna mess up, We're gonna go throw ups in our downs. But I think the outside expectation is that we're machines that do something, you know, or hit a thousand and never give up runs and all those type of things, and so that part kind of sucks. That's what makes uh, that's what makes it kind of suck. But again, it's what we signed up for and it is what it is.
Speaker 3: You've talked about the journey before. The journey is more of a reward than what the end result is.
Speaker 2: Even this season that you're embracing this.
Speaker 13: Journey absolutely absolutely, you know, the end results that's what gets criticized, and that's what if you just focus on that, that's that'll tear you down. But you know, going in the cage and trying to chase this perfect swing, or going out and working on defense and trying to chase the perfect way to fill the ground or whatever. You know, I just kind of get lost in that. I just get lost in that. And the game is the game. You know, the game is going to show up. You know, whatever happens in the game is what's going to happen in the game. But I really try and get lost in the process, and that's what brings me joy for sure.
Speaker 3: All Right, there's Mookie Bets earlier today after he was named the Dodgers nominee for the Roberto Clemente Award. And obviously the Dodgers are very aware of their expectations. They've been very aware of it since the moment they signed show Heyo Tani and when they arrived at spring training. I just hope these guys can enjoy the moment. I hope when they do clinch the NL West, they can enjoy the fruits of their labor. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. All right, let's see if we got a winner on our first question of the night for a pair of tickets to tomorrow night's Dodgers Cubs game.
Speaker 2: Brandon in Valencia, do you have an answer?
Speaker 3: And when Cody Bellinger won the National League MVP and when he won the National League Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 6: I do I missed Cody Bellinger, and I believe it was twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry he did not win either award that season. Thank you for your try. Let's go out to Panorama City.
Speaker 2: Miguel.
Speaker 3: Do you have the correct answer? What were the year or years that Cody Bellinger won the National League Rookie of the Year and the National League MVP?
Speaker 6: That should be twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: You got one of them, right, You didn't get both of them, right? Thanks for the try, Miguel.
Speaker 2: So close. All right, let's go out to Ben in Temecula.
Speaker 3: All right, Ben, can you tell me when Cody Bellinger won the National League Rookie of the Year with the Dodgers and the National League MVP with the Dodgers.
Speaker 10: All right, I got you, Dave, we got Toddy Bellinger, my favorite, one of my favorite Dodgers.
Speaker 9: We got twenty seventeen when we should have run a ring is his Rookie of the Year. And then twenty nineteen when he was hitting four hundred almost all year.
Speaker 2: That was an MVP year, no doubt, Ben, you got it. Right, you are a two Cody Bellingers fan.
Speaker 3: Congratulations you are coming to the game tomorrow night. You got a pair of tickets for Dodgers Cubs.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much, Dave.
Speaker 3: Have a good night, hey, Courtesy of and five to seventy LA Sports, Ben, you're home for Dodgers Radio, no doubt, all right. You enjoy hearing yourself win those tickets. We'll put you back on hold when we continue here on Dodger Talk. We have another pair of tickets to give away to tomorrow night's game, if you can tell me which Dodger hit three home runs in Game five of the twenty seventeen NLCS. Also, we're gonna check in with Jose Mota and we'll give you an update on when Bruce Stargredol will be activated by the Dodgers. A lot more to come when we continue live from Dodgers Stadium on Dodger Talk. Tonight, the Cubs beat the Dodgers ten to four on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at amfive seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Bassey.
Speaker 2: David Live and Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 3: After the Cubs beat the Dodgers tonight by a final score of ten to four, the Dodgers man Chick number to clinch the NL West remains at thirteen with eighteen games to go. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more.
Speaker 2: Daniels Jewelers own the Dream.
Speaker 3: Ta Oscar Hernandez was not in the Dodgers starting lineup for the second straight game because still nursing Bruce in that left foot he was hit by a pitch in the first game of the Guardians series. I mentioned yesterday. I observed that he was still having some discomfort in that left foot with certain movements, and Dave Roberts said as much before today's game. But Dave went out there to watch ta Oscar run and there is a greater chance that he will be in the starting lineup tomorrow. And as far as Bruce star Grattarol goes, Dave Roberts indicated that the Bazooka will be activated on Wednesday, the final game of this series against the Cubs. All right, we'll get to the more phone calls and the trivia in a moment, but first let's check in with Jose Mota.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 3: All right, Jose Mota, we seem to be getting mixed messages about Walker Buehler's start tonight. Maybe you can clarify what you saw and what you believe the future as far as the postseason should be for Walker Buehler.
Speaker 6: I believe more what I heard from Walker Buehler when he went out there invaluator himself, knowing that the fastball was not missing, you know, out of the twenty swings, one swing and missed. The picture was missing the most of the sweeper three out of four swings. But in his voice, it seems like a little confused or baffled by going why happening right now? Why is it that I can go through a nice, nice cleaning. But what re capture my ears was when he's talking about more punch oels than innings. Pitch Dave, what does I tell you? Still thinking? How about this tracka You know, I talked before well during the game and I said, tray gout to Suzuki, even though it was a high fast of ninety six, may not be the best thing that happens to him. There's a lot of times in what you get a misread on where your stuff is and by one player you can go off of that. You got to go out there and understand that. You know, upstairs, like the per Bad is when we saw eleven pitches, writer is all you focus on on the letters up and he's going he's not going to try to get me anything down the way. And just you know, Walker, as much as he tries, cannot get the breaking ball down or the fast falls down, even pitching inside effectively during that at Bad, but you see paraders stood write home play saying I'm going to challenge you to throw your best breaking ball away and I'm going to fight it off. And that's just an example of what happens when hitters tell you I don't think your stuff is good enough to get it by me right now, and we're going to battle. There's a lot of hard content against India.
Speaker 3: Today when you look at what the Dodgers are trying to search for When it comes to Walker Bueler, he's talked about trying to earn a spot on the postseason roster. If he has a game like this or another one of these games where he gives up runs with two outs in a playoff game, that just isn't acceptable, right Jose. I mean, that's one thing to ask your team to come back in a regular season game against a lesser opponent.
Speaker 2: But if this was a sellout crowd at Dodger.
Speaker 3: Stadium and he gives up three or four runs in the first inning of a game, that's got to be even more deflating. Can the Dodgers trust putting Bueler out there to start a game?
Speaker 6: You almost have to go out there and say and say, Walker, give us five good inns. That's all we want. Give me your best five innings today. And that is a mentality that really carries on with a pitcher, to say, Okay, they're minimunizing for me, so I'm going to go out there and just have everything kind of slaid out of the way. I want to pitch.
Speaker 1: Dave.
Speaker 6: In terms of confidence, you know that you want some zeros and somebody's giving you the ability to see zero's in consistent basis. In a playoff situation scenario, you're also going to be facing the top notch pitcher. You're not going to be facing four and five and six in that case. You know, making comebacks is a lot tougher. And everybody on Dawn, your nation is pulling for this kit to be good. But we need to see more in terms of the resources. There's been times when he's gotten to be by the teep hit here and there, but today I think it was more in vindication of him trying to out of where he was previous starts. I mean against Baltimore, it was a really good, good hitting team, power team against the Angels gets fine. I would say the consistency and giving you a chance to win, Dave comes better. And you mentioned earlier in the show about stuff you know stuff and people you know relign on stuff. Stuff is what hitters tell you where your stuff is. To me, it doesn't matter that it's ninety six, ninety seven Bieler or other pictures. Hitters will let you know where your stuff plays, how it's playing, how cool I feel against you right now? You see a lot of comfortable swings against Walker.
Speaker 2: Builder all right, we'll see where this goes.
Speaker 3: SoSE Hopefully things continue to or start to get better for Bueler in a more dominating, convincing fashion. We'll see you back out here tomorrow night for another great game, a big game, Hose. It will be Yamamoto against Shota Imanaga. Obviously all of Japan will be watching. That should be fun.
Speaker 6: Tomorrow night should be a lot of fun. Hopefully we'll have a Yoshinova is gonna come out and not chase podcast, but be effective enoughfully faces seen before it threw very well over Wrigley and can implement the break in more more than anything. And with that fast book come on, because no one thing keep over throw strikes hopefully a lot of calling strikes more for your shoo.
Speaker 3: Realistically, how far do you believe Yamamoto goes tomorrow?
Speaker 6: If he's efficient, I think even the sixty five seventy range, hopefully four innings out of it and get him going and dress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be good.
Speaker 3: It would be nice to have Yamamoto and or Glass now ready for the NLDS. Thanks, Jose, we'll see you tomorrow. Well, not just there he goes Jose Mota part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with Pepe and Ingez and of course the great El Toro Fernando Vealezuela. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number all right here it is our final pair of tickets for tomorrow night's game Dodgers Cubs. If you can tell me which Dodger hit three home runs in Game five of the twenty seventeen NLCS, let's try with Malhammed in Azuza. You've been on hold for a while, so you get the first crack.
Speaker 2: Mohammed.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, Hey, Dave, great points tonight, And the correct answer is Chris Taylor.
Speaker 2: Sir, it is not.
Speaker 3: It is not Chris Taylor. Thank you for the phone call. Thanks for holding, Mohammed. I appreciate it. All right. The tie is going to the collor that was holding on longer, so that is Sam and U Kaipa.
Speaker 2: You'll get the first crack at this.
Speaker 3: Sam, who is the Dodger that hit three home runs in Game five of the twenty seventeen NLCS. Yes, I remember because this was the one of my favorite games I got to send to the Fall Classic.
Speaker 10: It was Key k Hernandez.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was, and it was I remember Key k Hernandez showing me his Dodger hat before that game where he wrote a special inscription for the people of Puerto Rico who were dealing with the aftermath of a huge hurricane. And he hit three home runs that night to send the Dodgers to the World Series. That is also one of my favorite moments. It was revenge against those Cubs at Wrigley Field that night. Sam, So love that you got that answer right, and love that you enjoyed that game as much as we all did.
Speaker 9: Oh, that was a great game and that was a memory of the one for sure.
Speaker 3: All right, Sam, congratulations courtesy of US five seventy LA Sports Dodgers Radio.
Speaker 2: Enjoy the game tomorrow night.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much.
Speaker 9: I appreciate you, guys, appreciate you.
Speaker 3: All Right, We're gonna close out the show tonight in a special way, so we'll do all of this right now tomorrow. Like I mentioned, Yamamoto on the mound for the first time since June fifteenth, going up against fellow countrymen in Shota Emonaga. Imanaga this year has had a spectacular season twelve and three with an ERA of two ninety nine Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock with first pitch at seven ten thanks to dwayn McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium. Thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank Studios. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it as always on the iHeartRadio app. All right, we want to close out the show with a very special call in Dodger history. You may or may not realize that tonight, fifty nine years ago at Dodger Stadium, Sandy Kofax through is one and only perfect game against the Chicago Cubs. And who was on the call, of course, the great Vince Gully. This is the way we'll close out tonight's show. After the Dodgers fault of the Cubs ten to four, Vince Scully on the call for the final out of Cofax's perfect game fifty nine years ago tonight at Dodgers Stadium, Enjoy two and two to.
Speaker 14: Harvey Kane, one strike away, Sandy into his wind up. Here's the pitch.
Speaker 2: Swar that in this the perfect game.
Speaker 14: On the scoreboard and right field. It is nine forty six pm in the City of the Angels, Los Angeles, California, and a crowd of twenty nine thousand and thirty nine just sitting in to see the only pitcher in baseball history to herald four no hit, no run games. He has done it forced eight years and now he capped it on his fourth no hitter. He made it a perfect game.