Speaker 1: This is Dan Capless and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: Well, hello everyone, I am not Dan Caples.
Speaker 3: It's Heidi Ganoll here filling in for Dan while he's working a trial and hosting with Christy Burton Brown.
Speaker 2: This is going to be a lot of fun. Christy.
Speaker 4: We have so much to talk about, we do, and it's so fun doing this with you. I'm glad that we get to be here together, and for me personally, I'm just happy to be back.
Speaker 3: We're very excited about your win on the State Board of Education.
Speaker 2: Tell me a little bit.
Speaker 3: About how that's going to play out, the timeline for when you get going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm super excited about the State Board of Education.
Speaker 4: I'll get sworn in on January eighth, along with several other new members. The board's actually significantly changing its membership. But you and I were talking about a little bit about this a little bit before we started and CD eight Yasmin Navarro, who won for the Republicans.
Speaker 2: That is the bright spot on the board.
Speaker 4: That is why we're going to be able to keep a proch harder majority on the state board. So I'll just be a piece of it. But some really great people got elected and I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Well, and shout out to Douglas County School Board for approving a new potential charter school, John Adams, which is a classical school. They elected to release it to CSI, which is kind of like an independent school district for charter schools, and they were just a little worried about the swings in Douglas County on the school board and how politically that can change so quickly, so they thought it was best to go straight to CSI, and of course the Democrats on the board did not like that, but kudos to Ellie Reynolds and Kim gil Martin for getting that across the finish line. They were released to CSI last night. So there's a good chance we're going to have an amazing classical school in Sterling Ranch and it'll eventually be K through twelve. It's going to start as K through six, I believe, but really really exciting. It went till almost midnight last night in typical school board fashion, but you're getting to the trenches.
Speaker 2: You're going to be on the front lines.
Speaker 3: And thank goodness that there's still a little opportunity to get charter schools open here in Colorado, because I don't think the numbers have gotten much better on achievement rates, have they, Christie?
Speaker 2: No, they haven't. And that's definitely something we looked at a lot.
Speaker 4: Last year when at Advanced Colorado we were running the school choice measure. Is you know what the parents need, what our family's looking for in Colorado, and so many of them want better options like the charters you're involved in, and Kim and Ellie and all these people parents who are stepping up and trying to start charters. It's because kids are still performing at only a forty percent rate on average, Only forty percent of our kids in neighborhood traditional public schools can read and do math a grade level. Whereas you see seven of the ten top high schools in Colorado are charters.
Speaker 3: That's wild, I mean, that is not okay. Our public education system is broken. And I don't think any of us are against public traditional schools, no, but I do think competition will improve results, and I'm really interested to see how it plays out with the Department of Education and Linda McMahon, and she's said very clearly they're going to send the money back to the States in order to have control over the education and Colorado hasn't done such a hot job. But I think with you on the board and Yasmin is that her name, yeah, yeh Yehenna of Asman, I think it's going to be really exciting to see things change. One of the things we wanted to talk about today, I know, is some of the bright lights from the elections, some of the successes that happened, and there were quite a few across Colorado.
Speaker 2: What is one of your favorites. Oh that's a good question, huh. I think there's a lot to choose from.
Speaker 4: I think for me, it's the movement that we saw in key constituencies in Colorado towards Republicans or conservative values, either way you look at it. And we see this specifically in Adams and Pueblo County, where we have a heavy Hispanic majority or composition of the citizenry there. And I think you see you saw this nationally, a lot of Hispanics moving to Donald Trump, moving to the Republicans. But you saw it happen in Colorado, and I think a lot of people doubted it because they're like, oh, well, Hispanics in Colorado can be different than Hispanics in Florida. We have a lot more people of Mexican heritage here in Colorado, whereas they have a lot of Cuban heritage in Florida.
Speaker 2: And yet we still saw those key counties.
Speaker 4: And that's what helped put Gabe Evans over the top in CD eight, That's what helped Yasmin Navarro, and it's what made actually.
Speaker 2: Pueblo now has a Republican DA.
Speaker 4: It's things like that that are key changes that are gonna make Colorado safer and bringing more people into the Republican Party.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm really excited about Pueblo.
Speaker 3: I've got a lot of friends down there, and the Road to Red project I'm leading is doing a lot of work down there. So we've gotten to know the grassroots groups and there's some really amazing people leading the charge down there. And in fact, Pueblo now has the majority on the County Commissioner board. Paul em feeders one down there and replaced a pretty horrible Democrat that was doing a lot of damage. And so we've also got a Republican mayor. We've got.
Speaker 2: A Republican woman.
Speaker 3: Da Now they had ninety one percent turnout for Republicans down on publicad that's so good. They set the bar for the rest of the state, and so I see Pueblo as a model for the rest of the state. And also Pickin County, which is a shocker.
Speaker 2: That's what it's interesting is you have to tell me about this. I haven't looked so much at Pickcan.
Speaker 4: I usually, you know, write them off as a lost cause, but apparently I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: So I just got a text from John Kelly, who's the head of the GOP up there, and he did a fantastic job. They swung seven point six points to the right present for President Trump. It was the largest red shift in the state. And he says they did it through a lot of legworks, seventy five hundred calls, seventeen hundred texts and postcard endorsements, and multiple email reminders. They also targeted Republican leaning independence as well as Republicans, and their estimates were that they significantly increased their share of votes by subtracting the Republicans from the count so they actually grew a lot with independence up in Aspen, Colorado.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is that's quite the accomplishment. Kudos to them and John Kelly. I think I got to meet him a little bit before I left as chairman, So that's incredible. And this is Christy Burton Brown Heidi Ginaal today on the Dan Kaplis Show. If you have bright spots in the election or anything you want to share, you can call us eight five five four zero five eight two five five or text Dan to five seven seven three nine. But Heidi, I think when we talked about all these grassroots activities, this is what's you're big on. It's which you've built so well since ending the governor's race, and you've you haven't left, You've carried it on.
Speaker 2: And I think there's a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Seeing effectiveness in those grassroots efforts. What what are you finding most people want to know or are engaging in.
Speaker 3: Well, one of the things about the governor's race was how much I learned about where the gaps were, what was working, what wasn't, and I just kind of took it all in and I decided one of my passions would be going forward is really helping the grassroots become more organized, more activated, more engaged, and learning how to be more effective on the ground. And so the Road to Red Project has about one hundred grassroots groups around the state that we're helping and supporting with good technology and data and marketing support, and we're getting them to collaborate. So I suggest that everybody start as local as you can, like in your own neighborhood, find out who your precinct chair is, reach out to them, tell them you want to be put in the game in the off season. They'll probably give you a walk list and tell them. They'll tell you to reach out to your neighbors, have a barbecue, have a coffee. Just start in your own neighborhood, get to know them, and then also start attending your county commissioner, your school board, and your.
Speaker 2: City council races.
Speaker 3: You don't have to speak unless you don't want to, unless you want to, But that's really critical too. What else do you can you think of that people should do on a local basis, Well, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I think one thing that the things you're talking about lead to those conversations with your neighbors and people in your area lead to issue focused discussions, and I think that's so helpful, especially in the off years before candidates have been identified, and obviously that's what or now lead into.
Speaker 2: There's never a break into political cycle.
Speaker 4: But just I was just talking to someone today who was saying, every person I talked to in my area brings up public safety.
Speaker 2: That is what they are most concerned about.
Speaker 4: It's what they want to hear from their elected officials, it's what they want to see them deliver on, and affordability being the next issue in this particular area of Colorado. And I think that's what we find out, and it's really beneficial to our candidates. It's beneficial on ballot measures, on groups like Advanced Colorado that are going to be running more ballot measures in twenty six to know what are people talking about, what do they care about, and are you that trusted person in their neighborhood or they can say, you know what, this person is the expert, and then you.
Speaker 2: Could make voting recommendations, you can connect them to candidates. So I think it's just so key making that groundwork happen in the off year.
Speaker 3: I think that's that's great. Those are wonderful suggestions. I was pretty shocked to see that a rule or a law passed in twenty two is going to into effect January first, where illegal immigrants will have the opportunity to be provided free healthcare, free taxpayer paid healthcare, so our tax dollars are going to support people who are here illegally. It was pretty shocking, and I think one of the things that's happening that's waking people up is what about Americans who are struggling. What about Colorado's who are struggling, And what about the single moms who can't make it on two jobs, three jobs and they have to do it the hard way, the old fashioned way, And a lot of people don't think that's fair. And one thing that I've recognized about America and Colorado is I think Americans care about things being fair. And I think that's why President Trump got a lot of grace from a lot of people who voted the other way before.
Speaker 2: They thought it wasn't fair how he.
Speaker 3: Was treated, how he's still being treated, and so they decided to stand up for him.
Speaker 4: No, I think you're right, And I think one thing we should talk about when we get back from the break is exactly what Polis and the Democrats of the legislature are considering cutting from the budget in order to pay for all these microants coming into Colorado.
Speaker 2: I think it's to be very concerning to.
Speaker 4: A lot of people you're with how to get all on Christy Britton Brown on the Dan Kapli Show.
Speaker 5: And now back to the Dan Kaplas Show podcast.
Speaker 4: Ryan, I'm always reminded of how good you are at picking songs.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm glad I forgot that for a few months and now.
Speaker 2: I know again. Welcome back, thank you. I'm Christy Burton Brown.
Speaker 4: Heidigan All is here at the real host today of the Dan Capitalist Show.
Speaker 2: While Dan's in.
Speaker 4: Trial, we get to be sisters on the show and talk about every day.
Speaker 2: No, don't let me sing on the radio. That's not good. I can tune out quickly. Yeah I can't. I know the words.
Speaker 4: I can memorize well, but if you ask me to count the beat, like no, no, no, I'm.
Speaker 2: So terrible that I can't do it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: My husband and kids were literally on the campaign show. Anytime I'd start to dance or saying, they'd be.
Speaker 4: Like sty I identify with that that makes sense for me too. I saw an interesting poll actually now about a month out from the election, fifty four percent of Americans say that they feel hopeful about the direction of the country.
Speaker 2: I mean, hey, like usually a country's split fifty to fifty.
Speaker 4: Like if we get fifty four, like, I'll take it and we can build from there. But in the same poll, I said that thirty four percent of Americans identified the economy as the biggest thing the country needs to fix, and twenty one percent said the border and immigration. I think you know, in states like Colorado, we see even more people naming immigration. It was actually the either the first or second issue throughout the election. Until election data, that's what the majority of people were staying was immigration one of the top I believe two issues here in Colorado. So it sort of state by state, but I think it's interesting to see that, and we definitely see it coming home to roost here in Colorado when we look at the budget and the shortfall that they supposedly have, I mean, I believe them, but that they have in the Colorado state budget, how much.
Speaker 2: Did you say?
Speaker 3: It was like a billion dollars? Like one billion dollars.
Speaker 2: No, that's nuts. And I was just talking to a representative elect today.
Speaker 4: It was giving me a few details about some of the discussions that you know, they're having on the JBC and other representative senators, the governors off involved in these discussions trying to decide, Okay, what do we have to cut, which I mean should be a question government constantly ask themselves what should we cut? But I think one thing they're considering cutting is funding for IDD in Colorado.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what that was.
Speaker 4: It's intellectually and developmentally disabled people, and the kickers not only do they are they considering defunding those people, but they're considering moving the funding over to migrant people, immigrants, many of theom who are here illegally, and funding their health care instead.
Speaker 3: If they do that, twenty twenty six is going to be a very good year for conservatives in Colorado.
Speaker 2: That is nuts.
Speaker 3: I mean, that is unbelievable. It's just it's heartbreaking to me that they would think of doing that.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 4: I mean, talk about a population that the government actually should be taking care of is people who are vulnerable, who don't have the ability always to fully take care of themselves.
Speaker 2: And you know, There's a lot.
Speaker 4: Of things I think government has no business doing, but taking care of truly vulnerable populations is one thing the government actually should do. And instead of choosing their own citizens who are in a vulnerable spot and need actual help, State of Colorado's currently considering funding people here here illegally instead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I think this ties to another article or stat that came out yesterday that the state GDP or economic growth, that's how they measure it. We were fifth about fifteen years ago. Yeah, and now we are forty first.
Speaker 2: Oh, what a fall?
Speaker 3: And that means what does that mean? It means that businesses are going to move out of Colorado. It means an entrepreneur may not start a business. It means that it means that people can't get jobs here. And one of the other stats in here was talking about the labor force and how let's see where is that stat. Basically, white collar jobs, like professional jobs, high paying jobs, is still positive, but it's going down sharply from past years, and that includes like engineers, lawyers, accountants. It said that job gains were skewed to it's lower paying sectors like government. Why do you include government jobs in the job break rankings. I don't know, but if this pans out, it's going to be the worst stretch for job creation in the the white collar sector since the Great Recession in Colorado. Wow, that's troubling other than twenty twenty during the pandemic. And it also means that personal incomes aren't growing as fast as they have in the past. So if you're feeling that Colorado, it's real. Why is that happening? Why is that happening? I think it's the overbearing regulations, the heavy hand of government, the increase in taxes and fees.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Christy? Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 4: And actually, if fitting in a few listeners have ideas, you should call us eight five five four zero five eight two five five or text Dan at five seven seven three nine. I actually was reading an article the other day, Heidi. I know sunder Lundberg was one of the authors. I'm so sorry I cannot remember the other author, but they were actually writing about regulations to your point, and how it was strangling businesses in Colorado and making our economy worse, and basically saying, like how the Chevron decision Severn doctrine was overturned earlier this year by the US Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: That means to extend down to the states.
Speaker 4: We need to get rid of basically the state level Chevron doctrine, where state agencies are allowed to put all this rule making all this You know, they won't share licenses, Like you have a license in another state, but you can't come here and use it in Colorado without paying the state more and going through all this.
Speaker 2: Testing and all this training.
Speaker 4: And I get that sometimes that's important, but more often than not, it's not. If you can cut hair in one state, I think you can probably cut hair in the next state. And it's just overbearing regulations that we have more people leaving Colorado than moving in, and that says something about the economic standpoint that's affecting families.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm really excited.
Speaker 3: One of the things I'm most excited about the President Trump agenda is Doge and Elon Musk and vent Back taking what they call a sledgehammer to the bureaucracy. And one of the things I ran on for governor was reducing the size of the bureaucracy by ten percent every year in my first term, so forty.
Speaker 2: Percent, and people thought, how on earth are you going to do that.
Speaker 3: And if you're following Vivec and Elon on Twitter on x they're giving you examples every day of the waste and the overbearing regulations.
Speaker 2: And we could do that in Colorado too. Oh yeah, maybe I.
Speaker 3: Will start doing I like that idea, but I truly think one of the ways back for Colorado, and we're going to play governor for a day later and what.
Speaker 2: We would do. But one of the things I would do.
Speaker 3: Is doge in Colorado and just really reduce the size of government and the size of the bureaucracy here.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely. I mean I think you can find that at every level of government. There's probably some local governments actually in Colorado, all granted, that actually do a really good job of returning money to their citizens and spending on public safety and actual things that people need.
Speaker 2: But at most big levels of government, there's so much waste.
Speaker 4: And how do you actually have a caller? Why don't we take Mike from Westminster? Welcome to the Capital Show with Christine Heidi.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hey, what are you thinking today?
Speaker 6: I have said this for years. If you do not fix immigration and cut it off, I mean cut it off at the bud You cannot fix anything else. Number one, you can't fix education because it's overwhelmed. Number Two, you can't tax health care. It's impossible.
Speaker 7: That is.
Speaker 6: All it does is put more and more burden on the tax thing citizen. That's I mean for just the wife and I and we're retired. Health insurance is one of our biggest costs. It's horrendous what we're paying. It's absolutely insane. And then of course transportation. You know, we happen to have a governor that thinks that I shouldn't be able to drive it to my wherever I go. I should take a bus or light rail which I've never been on in my entire life bike, or I should rine it by at seventy some years old. Yeah, that's not gonna happen. So no, that these are the stupidest ideas that we're I've lived here all my life. I'm a native, you know, our family's homesteaded here. Wow. Wow, If you don't fix these problems, you can't fix water, you can't do anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, Mike, I think you're you're onto something and we have a hard break. We have to take call back if you want. But Mike, you're right, we have to fix immigration to fix anything else in America. Thank you, Mike from Westminster. I'm Christy Burton Brown. We have Heidigan All hosting The Dan Kaplis Show today. Call in over the break if you have thoughts eight five five four zero five eight two five five. When we come back, we'll talk more immigration specific changes in Denver coming up, and more topics.
Speaker 5: You're listening to The Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 8: Christopher Ay, the FBI director, is making this announcement right now in an all staff town hall with thousands of FBI employees across the country. He says now is his time to go. As you mentioned, he has a ten year term all FBI directors do. He was seven years into his tenure term and realistically he had two options wait to be fired by President elect Donald Trump because Trump announced Cash Bettel would take over or bow out before. He has chosen to bow out before. Ray is a former Republican lawyer, former DOJ prosecutor here in Washington, DC, hired by Trump in twenty seventeen after Trump fired James Comey after the entire Russia investigation probe, and Ray pretty much stayed out of the headlines as much as he could at least. But in twenty twenty two, former President Trump became increasingly angry when the FBI raided Mara Lago during the Classified Documents investigation.
Speaker 2: Of course, that was.
Speaker 8: Ordered by Attorney General Merrick Garland, who oversees the Justice Department, not Christopher Ray, but nonetheless, Christopher Ray saw future and saw that it is his time to go, so he will be stepping down as Cash Patel, the upcoming FBI director, if confirmed, is on Capitol Hill. So the director right now is making this announcement to an all staff meeting. We're waiting to get some wording of some of his comments.
Speaker 4: And that announcement earlier today made that the current head of the FBI is stepping down knowing exactly what's going to happen, that he would be fired by President Trump if he didn't make this move three years early, so.
Speaker 2: Definitely what he should be doing.
Speaker 4: I'm Christy Britton Brown here with Heidi Ganal co hosting the Dan Kapalist Show today, and Heidi, I think all of President Trump's appointees is super interesting, the people he's choosing.
Speaker 2: What do you think specifically about FBI though, I think it's the right move Cash Mattel is. He's a warrior. He's going to clean things up.
Speaker 3: And I liked when President Trump interviewed this last weekend with one of the liberal news outlets and she said, you know, are you really going to go after people for things that they've done? And he said, no, I'm going to let the people that I put in play use their judgment to do it. And he's putting the right people in the places to do that. Very unconventional picks, But one pick I'm really excited about is Colorado's own Chris Right as the head of the Department of Energy.
Speaker 2: And I've known Chris for a long time.
Speaker 3: He takes a very innovative, fascinating free market approach to energy. It's going to transform our country having Chris in that spot, and I'm really excited about that.
Speaker 4: I am too, And I think what's one of the other things that's exciting about Chris is that he.
Speaker 2: Still believes in conservation.
Speaker 4: Like we know as conservative that Teddy Roosevelt was the original conservationist. This isn't an issue that liberals should own. You can actually be pro American energy policies and pro conservation, Like who doesn't want clean air, clean water, clean and rivers, clean hikes for their kids and family to go on.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't mean we ignore American energy production.
Speaker 4: And I think actually one of the one of the best videos that's a little bit old, but that I saw Chris write in was when he was I think he was talking about North Faced products. Okay, it came back up so you could actually find this on if you're listening anyone to see it, you can find it on Google. Came back up when he was nominated by President Trump, and he talked about how these you know, clothing products that the wo clothing products that the lot people love actually uses American energy and all these things they want to ban are actually in their clothing products. And he just did a great job, fascinating example of how he talked it through and just made it really simple. I think calling out people who really have no facts, don't know what they're talking about.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 3: And I mean, I know John was just on the show and he would never open his mouth about any of this, but I sure hope they bring John Fabricatory to washing Dacy or let him stay.
Speaker 2: Here and lead Operation Aurora.
Speaker 3: You know, I think that'd be fascinating John is such a great guy, and I'm really bombed he he isn't in Congress, but maybe that was a blessing in disguise, and maybe he's going.
Speaker 2: To help with the the whole.
Speaker 3: Effort to clean up our cities from illegal imigrants to our criminals. That has to be priority number one, and I think Trump is putting the right people on the seats on the bus to take care of that.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 4: And how do you make a great point that John is absolutely more than qualified to get a job like that and would put America first and Colorado citizens first. Where we see a lot of our elected officials in Denver and the Capitol putting non citizens and specifically people who are who are here illegally, Like I support people who are refugees, people who truly are seeking asylum, Like America is the land that welcomes people who have nowhere else to go.
Speaker 2: But I think just because so many.
Speaker 4: People dream of coming to America, it doesn't mean because you can cross the border illegally that you have a bigger right to be here than all the people in refugee camps in Burma and Africa and so many places across the world. Who cannot walk across the border so cannot get in. But because you can walk across the border, I'm happy that you want the American dream, but everyone should have equal access to the American dream. Should prioritize refugees and asylum seekers in my view, not gang members from Venezuela who are walking across the border with the current administration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, Christine.
Speaker 3: On the appointee front, I'm so excited to see what happens with Robert Kennedy Junior. And I've really gotten to be a fan of the MAHA movement make America healthy again, and I think that that's really going to bring a lot of people together, regardless of Democrat, Republican, Independent. And it was fascinating to see Jared Poulus come out supporting RFK Junior on social media and he got ripped to shreds by his party.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's it's so obvious that he's.
Speaker 3: Playing to try and be relevant, try and be on the national conversation so that he can run for president and twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Do you agree?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I do. I mean he was obviously hoping for a cabinet position.
Speaker 4: I think with Kamala Harris she didn't get in, so he doesn't get that to now he has to look for his spot. If you have thoughts on President Trump's appointees, you can call us eight five five four zero five eight two five five or text Dan five seven seven thirty nine. And how do you when you bring up RFK Junior, I actually, I mean I don't agree with him on abortion and the abortion pill.
Speaker 2: There's real problems with some of his views. But when we talk about keeping America.
Speaker 4: Healthy, making America healthy, I was talking to a reporter the other day and just saying, there's a lot of moms, a lot of suburban moms who are not conservative or Republican, but are united around the idea of making our kids healthy and nutrition and fitness.
Speaker 2: And we don't want the FDA.
Speaker 4: And government agencies CDC to lie to us about what is going in our kids' bodies, the labels on food. And it's not like I am anti vaccine, I'm not at all. I'm pro vaccine. Put my kids on a delayed schedule, but still be honest with people about the risks. Don't lie to moms who care about their kids. Don't tell them all these seed oils are healthy for their kids when there are better options, I think, and I think that's what he stands for is don't lie to moms, don't lie to Americans.
Speaker 2: Let us to make healthy choices if we want to. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: And I mean he's taken on some really really big environmental issues as a lawyer, and I think he's the right guy for the job. As evidenced by the pharmaceutical companies, the ag industries are terrified.
Speaker 2: But all the right people are scared.
Speaker 3: I really like Nicole Sheridan too, who he had selected as his vice president. First I didn't understand the pick, but the more I get to know her, the more I watch her, I really think she has a shot at running for governor in California.
Speaker 2: And I think she just speaks to moms.
Speaker 3: She's the mother of a child who was vaccine injured and really is advocating for transparency, like you said, just telling the truth about what's happening. And I think RFK Junior talking about the studies and the science around vaccines and how they aren't studied appropriately if you look at science, I think that's going to be a really interesting conversation that we have going forward. And one of the key constituencies for me on the governor's race was moms who are really upset about what was happening with COVID and the lockdowns with their kids.
Speaker 2: Jeff co kids first.
Speaker 3: Paulus, who tries to act very libertarian, and this goes back to our discussion about bureaucracies, gave so much power to the public health departments in the.
Speaker 2: Counties, and that was the battle that happened with Jeff Co.
Speaker 3: But the moms were the ones who pushed back Democrat, Republican Independent. They joined together and they were able to get one of the leads of the public health fired because of her stance. But it was really Jared Paulus pulling the strings and pushing that down so that he didn't have to take responsibility for it. But that is the power of a mother who cares about her child's health and safety. And I think we're going to see mother's roar across the country when they start to find out how we have been lied to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, and they're going to be unleashed. I think what the voice like UNA like RFK Junior. You're on the Dan Kapli Show with Christy Burton Brown and Heidi ganall.
Speaker 2: We have to take a.
Speaker 4: Break, but when we come back, we want to talk about the murder of the United Healthcare CEO and one of the Democrat representatives from calif Ffornia had to say about it.
Speaker 5: And now back to the Dan Kaplas Show podcast.
Speaker 7: I'm Chris Wright, CEO of Liberty Energy. North Face recently came out against my industry, even refusing to let one of my competitors put their company logo on a north Face jacket. I went through north Face's website of wide ranging products and I failed to find a single product that wasn't made out.
Speaker 2: Of oil and gas.
Speaker 7: The great majority of north Face's products, jackets, backpacks, outdoor pants, shirt, shoes, hats, et cetera, are dominantly made out of the oil and gas that we so proudly produce. Globally, sixty percent of all clothing fibers are made out of oil and gas. For north Face, it is likely ninety percent or more.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 7: North Face is not only an extraordinary customer of the oil and gas industry, they are also a partner with the oil and gas industry. So thank you north Face, and you're welcome.
Speaker 2: That was awesome. Thank you, Ryan. That was a nice and surprise.
Speaker 3: That was Chris Wright, who we were just talking about was appointed to the secretary or nominated for the Secretary of Education or Energy spot. Gosh, get your act together, Heidi. This is Heidi Ganal and Christy Burton Brown. We're co hosting the Dan Kapla Show while he's out at a trial. Christy, I wanted to shift conversation a little bit to the murder of the CEO of the healthcare system or United Health Insurance. There's so much coming out about the whole situation and the manifesto of the suspect.
Speaker 2: What's your latest take on this.
Speaker 4: Well, that's a great question, and I think we actually have a clip I should play from Representative Roe Conna from California, and he sort of tried to talk about this divide between can you believe murder's wrong but still basically hate healthcare system.
Speaker 2: So let's let's listen to him.
Speaker 9: It's possible to have two thoughts, one that murder and taking human life is wrong, that we can have sympathy for a father of two sons, and also to have a thought that being denied healthcare, as repeatedly happens in this country for cancer, treatment for heart disease, for diabetes is causing great anger, justifyed anger around America, and that we need to fix that broken healthcare system.
Speaker 6: We need to hold private.
Speaker 9: Insurance companies, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies accountable. We need to fight for Medicare for all, or at the very least fight to make sure that doctors prescriptions are getting filled or their treatments is getting filled and Medicare would cover it.
Speaker 2: Interesting clip.
Speaker 4: I think there's pieces of that I agree with, hidian pieces that I don't. I think largely I agree there should be a ton of reform in our healthcare system, and that pharmaceutical companies aren't being on and are overcharging and are honest about the prices. Price transparency's a huge issue. What I think I dislike is that when someone, a human being who has a family, is murdered in cold blood with a premeditated murder, we use that as an opportunity to talk about a political issue that needs to be solved. And yet when we see school shootings, and when we see those shooters also bring up the issue of mental health and being on drugs for mental health, we're not allowed to talk about that.
Speaker 2: That's a great point.
Speaker 3: I saw a tweet earlier about Brian Thompson, the one who was murdered, and it really humanizes the situation. He's from Jewel, Iowa, population twelve hundred, and he went on to lead one hundred and forty thousand employees in overseeing two hundred and eighty billion of revenue one of.
Speaker 2: The world's most important companies.
Speaker 3: Get this, His mom worked as a beautician, his dad at a green elevator. I bet they were really proud when he graduated valedictorian of his fifty person.
Speaker 2: High school class.
Speaker 3: And he played basketball and trombone. He was homecoming king. But he worked in the soybean fields and the meat processing plants during the summer. You know, this is this is someone who lived the American dream and maybe he was trying to make good faith efforts to change the healthcare system for the better. We don't know, but I think it's horrifying that they are like making this guy a superstar, the guy that murdered him a superstar.
Speaker 2: That's just incredibly wrong.
Speaker 4: Well right, and so many people on Twitter talking about like how the guy looks and how young he is, and when do we idolize murderers like that's super troubling, especially when young people start doing it, which is happening on social media right now. And again like I'm sorry, would you kill someone I don't, and you kill an innocent person, It's not a measure of ooh, did they ever do anything wrong in their life? Should they have reformed their company, should they have supported different policies. That's not how we judge whether or not someone should be murdered in cold blood. And so I think when you have a different standard, oh well, we don't like this person who was killed because we assume they supported all these policies we don't support and want change. Therefore, we can partially justify them being shot, like that's what's happening, and it's so wrong.
Speaker 3: Well, and it's such a contrast to the Daniel I believe his last name's Penny in the subway trial, he was let off rightly, so oh yeah, I mean, who doesn't want to know that someone brave like that is going to step in and help us if we're attacked on a subway system. I can't believe the contrast between these two situations. I think it's really ironic that both are being discussed and talked about, and of course it's becoming political, like, oh, the murder over here is a good guy, says a lot of the people on the left, and the hero on the subway is a bad.
Speaker 2: Guy, says the people on the left. And we're kind of the opposite.
Speaker 3: But it's just so frustrating how every single thing turns political these days. But I do believe it's a good example of why the country overwhelmingly voted for Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: They are full of they're tired of this crap.
Speaker 3: Like they want things to change. They want to go back to the way things were, when right wasn't wrong and wrong wasn't right, and things made sense. And I think the jury decision in his case, Daniel Penny's decision was the right thing.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think so too.
Speaker 4: And if you evaluate the two situations, which is an interesting point, Heidi, I think you see that what Daniel Penny did, for one thing, he was not intentionally killing anyone.
Speaker 2: It was not premeditated.
Speaker 4: He was responding in real time to events that ended up saving a lot of people's lives. The women and children, and some of them who testified in his trial believed he was saving lives, and he said that was his intention. You see this other guy who murdered the United Healthcare CEO, and you know, okay, let's imagine that he might say, oh, I'm stopping the healthcare system from hurting people. Really, murdering a CEO is going to change the whole system. And that's why we need.
Speaker 2: One of the many reasons we need better education for.
Speaker 4: Young people in our society is they need to know the real way to change things, and it's not by taking out someone with a vigial antieism act.
Speaker 2: That doesn't change anything.
Speaker 4: Ceo actually doesn't set the entire policy of a healthcare company, and people should know that and going and murdering one person doesn't reform a system.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Christie, and we need to take a break, but it's a lot of fun hosting this with you. We've got so many topics. We'll be back right after the break. This is Heidi Ganal and Christy Burton Brown filling in on the Dan Kaplis Show.