Speaker 1: Seven oh six at fifty five kr CD Talk Station, Friday eight. Bottom of the hour, don On O'Neal returns the Dwine State of the State. Yesterday they did a poll from Americans for Prosperity. We'll find out what the poll reflected. That's at the bottom of the aar. In the meantime, I'm happy to welcome back to the fifty five KRC Morning Show Cincinnati City, a city mayor candidate Corey Bowman running as a Republican in a pretty blue city. Corey, welcome back, man. It's always great talking to you.
Speaker 2: Brian. It's awesome to be back. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: So, how's things going out there as you are on the campaign trail meeting people, shaking hands? And your your website so I can tell my listeners Coreybowman dot com so you can see his seven policy pillars, among other things. And also up a right hand corner there's a little donate button. I'm sure he'd appreciate a campaign contribution. Anyway. How's it going before we get into some of the specific topics this morning, Cory.
Speaker 2: It's going great. And you know I've told people that, you know, when we first got into this. I thought I was just going to the slaughterhouse and it was just going to be me and about. Every day I get a reason to get more encourage on this campaign trail and really just get more motivated to know that there's a chance to get this thing.
Speaker 1: Well, that's wonderful to hear. And you're getting support from the Hamilton County Republican Party, I hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. The chairman Russell and Hampson County has been very helpful and very time throughout the whole process, especially for somebody that has really never gone into a race like this, and so I'm very appreciative.
Speaker 1: Of Well, we live in rather unusual times, and of course, obviously the policies and platforms of the Democrat Party, who has run the City of Cincinnata now for Cincinnati Now for the last several decades, don't seem to really care about stuff they've already have that's on their plate to take care of roads and infrastructure, and I know a lot of people are really upset about that, and that seems to me one thing if we focused on would make the city a more attractive magnet for people who otherwise wouldn't consider moving into the city. I mean, we got some problems on our hands in the city.
Speaker 2: Corey. No, absolutely, And if you look at our points on our website in the whenever we were first getting the signatures for our petition, I was really coning in on where the key policies that we need to focus on and really just don't get distracted by anything. And as I looked at it, number one is money management. Money management, where's the money going? Are you going to prioritize the budget to where it benefits the residents of Cincinnati? And I don't think there's a greater example where that mismanagement of funds is than in our infrastructure and in our roads.
Speaker 1: Indeed, I couldn't agree with you more on that. And let's just pivot over to an allocation of money that was just announced the other day for whatever I guess, they quote unquote found like one point three million dollars. And so there were a bunch of hands reaching out to try to get into the cookie guard, a lot of non governmental organizations to typically get some funding as directed by the mayor and council. They didn't get it, but what did get it three hundred thousand dollars anyway, went for a skate park, and then the rest of it went for the al or acquisition of two more dump trucks to help deal with the behind the eight ball equipment that is used for snow removal. We found ourselves in a precarious position with the last snowfall, and so we learned that twenty percent of the equipment was inoperable. So buying two dump trucks and three hundred thousand for a skate park. Your comments and reflections on the skate park, what would you have done.
Speaker 2: Well? I use the example of in your own personal funds, right, because a lot of people are asking for things like not just a skate park, but you are we going to have a new arena in the city, Are we going to do this? Are we going to do that? And the problem is is that we have a personal budget that's completely out of control. We have no clue where we are. Necessarily, if we do, then we're not using it properly. So it's we have to have a good foundation in our budget of knowing what takes priority. The fact that you're buying dumb trucks and stuff just shows me that this administration and the council is really being reactionary instead of proactive. And I think that's the key thing with your finances, is that you have to be proactive on those just practical issues, you know, the snow removal, the dumb trucks, the public services, the potholes. We shouldn't be patching up potholes at a rapid pace right now because that's reactionary. These things should have been prevented months or years ago.
Speaker 1: Well, and my understanding is there an obligation to take care of a certain number of road miles every year, and that they have been behind in doing that for years and years and years, which of course compounds the problem and causes this reactionary allocation resources.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and that's the thing I kept feeling is that we have to switch from being reactionary to proactive on things. We have to be able to plan ahead, we have to be able to see the future, and it's actually very hard to do that when you're being distracted by other things that shouldn't take precedence. I'm not saying that a skate parks wouldn't be beneficial to that certain aspect of that community. I'm saying it doesn't make sense when you see the rest of these areas and shambles that see.
Speaker 1: And that's where I go, don't build bright and shiny new objects and get your photo ops in when you have things around you that are supposed to be taken care of that you've ignored for a long time, like for example, being proactive and forward thinking. Did they do a budget analysis to find out how much upkeep and maintenance that skate park is going to require? Because you know certain elements that are going to deteriorate, what's it going to cost going forward? This isn't just a static, one time cost when you build something like that, It comes with future needs and obligations.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, And that's with a lot of these projects. I think a lot of times when these projects, like you said, that provide photo ops or they just look good on paper, they don't realize the maintenance that's going to take, or you're just not thinking ahead, and then that just puts you further further in the whole of what you really need to focus on.
Speaker 1: Indeed, and I let's see here, well the one of the other elements of your platform. And I had to bring this up because I ran into some rather frightening statistics that I had in front of me for this morning's morning show. You talk about increased safety as one of your platforms policy Platform number five, Safety of the city residents. It's extraordinarily important. And as I look at these statistics and this is it's kind of like a buried reality because I haven't read it, but we rank in terms of homicides per capita. We are number twelve in the country. Your reaction, Cory.
Speaker 2: No, I think that what was funny is that we had our kickoff of last week or two weeks ago actually, and whenever we had our kickoff that same week, their aftab had his kickoff, and they were running off of a platform of lower crime and things that had benefited the community. And I'm sitting there like, Bro, you know, if you're going to pin is is that people that live in the city, people that are experiencing these crime rates and these gunshots every night, and these things that are happening, they're not going to look at satistic or the people are what a certain administration wants to say this happening. They're going to see it for what it actually is. And so it's very frustrating when you see the crime rates up in certain areas when you see this happening. And so when we talk about increased safety, we're talking about getting behind the local law enforcement, getting behind the firefighters, not clementing their key roles with programs like three to one one and other comprehensive violence reduction agencies or whatever that might be. We've got to back what works, which is our police department. Now, I've talked with police department, and I've talked with police officers that have been in for over a decade in the CPD, and what they say is that we have to find that balance between being that protecting and that force of law in the city, but also they have to be involved in the community. You have to have that community's trust. It's very hard to have the trust of the community when there's another agency that's like three to one one that's basically answering other calls. We need to fully back the police department and our fire department in ways that really hasn't been seen in.
Speaker 1: The past, and be outspoken in support of the city and Saints Police depart Our public elected officials, council members, and the mayor never rise to the challenge of saying out loud that we need to support the police need to talk about them in a positive way. We need to keep them in the neighborhoods. And again, like you said, get the police in the neighborhoods and establish a relationship that proves that they are there to protect the citizenry, not this evil, racist force that so many people try to characterize them as, which by not saying anything, suggests that the elected officials share that belief, and I think many of them may very well do it. Let's pause, We'll bring Corey back talk about whether or not there's going to be a debate and his fundraiser that's coming up on April eighth, and maybe some of his other ideas again, Corybowman dot com and award for Affordable Imaging Services because you know, imaging can be affordable within the ability of you to be able to pay for an image. Hospital imaging departments not the place to go if you want affordability, if you want bells and whistles and sculptures and water features and massive overhead. That's why little imaging departments is charged so much. Like an echo cardiogram could set you back thirty five hundred dollars or more. You may have a separate charge for the Board Certified Radiologists report, which your physician will need. At Affordable Imaging Services, an echo cardiogram only five hundred dollars with no enhancement eight hundred dollars with an enhancement. It comes with the Board Certified Radiologists report. And also they can get you right in. You don't have to wait three weeks or a month, which many times happens in the hospital. Just call them up and get right in. Expect low overhead, but the same equipment that hospitals use with medical professionals who've been doing this for decades. MRIs don't pay five thousand or four thousand. You pay a lolo price of four hundred and ninety five dollars for an MRI. See T scan coming in at a lolo price of four point fifty with no contrast six hundred fifth. You get the idea across the board, massive savings. Affordable Medimaging dot Com is where you'll find them online. You have a choice when it comes to your medical care. Exercise it five to one three seven five three eight thousand. That's five to one three seven five three eight thousand.
Speaker 2: This is fifty five an iHeartRadio station power Ieheart Radio music.
Speaker 1: Must be Weather time Channeline says today it'd be partly cloudy, isolated showers and thunderstorms are possible. We'll have a high of seventy seven dropping out of forty nine overnight. They say clear skies though, so you'd be able to see the lunar eclipse if you're awake around three o'clock in the morning. I will be driving to work. Mostly clouty day Friday eighty one for the high, partly cloudy overnight with sixty one, and then a really really rainy Saturday, calling it severe weather storms one to two inches of rain and gusty winds are possible. It'll be a high of seventy three forty five degrees right now in time for traffic from the UC.
Speaker 3: Health Traffic Center. When it comes to stroke, every second count. So that's why the UC Health Comprehensive Stroke Center is the clear choice for wrapping by saving treatment learnmor at U see health dot com. Sap Bend seventy five crews continue to work with an incident on the ramp sitting day there on the left ten side. Then traffic continues to build in an Alva Bakla. That's an extra five minutes. There's a wreck on Hamilton Scipio near Weaver chuck Ingramont fifty five K or see the talk station.
Speaker 1: At seven twenty fifty five K See talk station Brian Thomas with mayor old candidate Corey Bowman. Find him on line at Corey Bowman dot com. Read his policy platforms and maybe consider helping him out. Get on the campaign trail, go do a knocking, get a T shirt, and maybe make a campaign contribution. Corey, let us see here. Do you know whether or not after a Pervoll might agree to a debate? Has that been discussed? Have you reached out to him about doing something like that? And even are you interested in debating mayor Afterab Purvoll?
Speaker 2: There is talk about it that I've heard. There's no confirmation as of right now, but yeah, if mayor Aftab would agree to debate, then I think that that would be good.
Speaker 1: I do as well. And fundraiser coming up, Speaking of campaign contributions and donations. Fundraiser, I understand it's taking place April eighth. What are the details on that one, Corey?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we've just announced three events. Well, they'll be on our website by today. But specifically, what you're talking about is where at Tuesday, April eighth, we're going to be a Price Sill Chili and that's going to be from five to seven pm and it's all all is welcome, and Brian, I would like to extend a personal invitation to you if you could be there as well, that would be amazing.
Speaker 1: If my schedule allows for it, I will be happy to be there. Love Price sal Chili. Really excellent location in venue. Usually a lot of people show up for those. I presume Westside Jim Kiefer will be there. Yeah, yeah, I think he's got an apartment there somewhere. Edie. Anyhow, you your your your proposal regarding practical housing. I know there's a lot of screaming and yelling and the connected communities has been talked about, and what's your take on housing in the city of Cincinnati And as a mechanism to get more people to want to live there. It seemed to have worked when they read when they over the Rhine area. I know a lot of urban hipsters moved in there. That worked, but then people turned around and started saying, well, I can no longer afford to live in the area where I used to live. So it always comes with detractors when you invested in any given neighborhood. But what's your plan to create some sort of practical approach to housing.
Speaker 2: Well, I think one of the things that you have to hone in on is one of Cincinnati's best resources is our local small businesses and our developers. There's a lot of developers, a lot of people that are invested in the city, that loved the city, that grew up here, or they're from here. They call it their home that they're able to flip one or two properties at a time. But when you have an overall plan, let's say, or a vision that the city has for an area, and it's only going to be done by one big time developer, that's really what you're seeing with these connected communities is that you're not allowing people in the community to do it. You're actually just bypassing. I say, no, this is what we see for the community. And then in these policies, it's a trojan horse for a lot of things that have failed in the past and other communities in the city.
Speaker 1: Well, and I know one of the hurdles to you doing any kind of development, small or large. We have an overburden of regulations in the city.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, And I witnessed that firsthand, you know, as a business owner in the West End. I remember the year that we went to the Super Bowl with the Bengals, and that the year after that, it was nothing short of like crazy in a lot of these streets in the West End, specifically where I was from. Is that there was developers and investors that were lining up the streets ready to pour into this city. And the way that you saw, you're like, man, this place is gonna blow up into in two years time. Max. There's gonna be so much development, there's gonna be so much housing available, there's gonna be so much resources available. This is amazing. Two years later, you just realize there's a kink in the hose. What is it. Well, it has to do with regulation. It has to do with zoning that is just not practical to the area. When you've got an area that's over eighty percent affordable housing or government subsidized housing, and then you're trying to put more of that in that community instead of just allowing businesses to thrive and people to have market rate or middle income apartments and condos and townhomes. This is just something that really hinders the growth of all these communities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it concentrates poverty in certain areas which prevents them from economic development. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and that honestly is probably one of the biggest factors of this campaign. With the money management, you're starting to see that just certain funds need to go certain places and be prioritized. But then on top of that, we have to have a practical housing approach because it is an issue. You know, when people say that there's a housing crisis, you've got to realize that there's a disparity. There's the very low income housing and then there's a very high income housing. But for us, in our coffee shop, there's several individuals that work in the city and they're able to afford a great price in our apartment, in the apartments that are above the building. We don't own the building itself, but we're able to pay a market rate for our business as well, and it's helped the community thrive. But there's a shortage of available units like that unless you have you know, if you play by the rules with the red tape of you've got to put this type of business here, and you've got to put this type of housing here, and really that shouldn't be the case.
Speaker 1: Coreybowman dot com for all the info and of course price sol Chili April eighth, beginning at five pm for the fundraiser and you get a chance to shake hands with Corey and meet him up front. Corey has been a pleasure having you on the show, with you all the beck best on the campaign trail, and I know we talk again real soon here on the morning show.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thank you Brian for having me.
Speaker 1: My pleasure, my pleasure, and good luck stick around. We're gonna hear Domin O'Neil his reaction to the Dwines the state of the state last evening, plus the poll and what people thought of it. That's coming up next with Americans for Prosperity, Donovan O'Neil, and a good word from my good friend Peter Shabria Kellowilliams Seven Hills. You can't find a better team of real estate agents in the greater Cincinnati area. Man, he's a magnet for the best talent, and he also says programs that nobody else offers, like for example, Peter and his team of the Shari Group of Kelerwilliams, seven Hills. Know that your life can change quickly, and sometimes you know you got to get out of dodge very quickly. Maybe you just want to skip the hassle of traditional sales process which are going to require to keep your house cleaned up and of course get out of the house, find place for the dogs, so the people so that your agent can show it. If you don't want to do any of that, Chabri Group make it all so much easier. Within forty eight hours of them seeing your home, they'll have a cash offer ready for you. You can close as quickly as fourteen days after that cash offer is made, So it's that fast so you don't have to go through the headache and hass so if you perceive it to be so. If youve got a property need to unload and a hurry call it Sabri Group to do that. Reach out to them. Five one three seven zero eight three three thousand. Pardon me five one three seven zero eight three thousand. Go to seven zero eight three thousand dot com. If you can't remember anything along those lines, just remember how to spell SBRI c H A B R I S type in Sabri Group and your search engine, and there it is Keller Williams, seven Hills, Schabri Group fifty five KRC