Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of January thirteenth, we're discussing the eleventh episode of the second season of Shrinking. It's called the Drugs Don't Work.
Speaker 3: Oh Yes, Paul Struggling will.
Speaker 1: A duel me? Yes, yes, Paul directly, the one for whom the Parkinson's drugs are no longer working as well as they will and within a short time we'll stop working at all. But also Jimmy's drug of fixing people, not doing it for him anymore. And this episode raises the terrifying question, are they going to do a Donnie redemption arc next season? Is that what next season is going to be?
Speaker 2: God? No, it did seem that that Jimmy tried and abandoned that that plan pretty quickly. I hope that sticks because nobody wants that newbody wants that.
Speaker 1: No. No, so we assume that Grace is selling real estate in Canada. She's not back, right, That's capacity That's what I assumed the first time I saw that I was away, But then I figured, yeah, I suppose they have houses to sell in Canada.
Speaker 2: Right, You think it would take some time to take whatever tests and then you have.
Speaker 1: To take her sister knows somebody it's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we won't. We won't be worrying about that.
Speaker 1: Instead will be she gets the houses where people were right exactly.
Speaker 2: Instead will we'll complain about why they had to do this dumb sitcom thing of breaking up Derek and Gaddy.
Speaker 1: Come on, now, yeah, it was not necessary at all. It was not and it was awful, and I mean give that guy credit for good self esteem, but still.
Speaker 2: Stupid, very stupid like and it was an It was a fun like a it was a funny scene when they broke up. Yes, but as always, there was no reason for this. They they were fun together. They he fit right in. She could have just invited him to Thanks dinner and all would have been.
Speaker 1: Yes, perfectly, ablutely. And also they managed to say again how hot he? So check that one off the script. Also did did Taco Bell pay for that product placement?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Liz was Liz was not being giving it positive reviews, but everybody else was.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, Liz not liking it is sort of an indoorma. But you want to be like those two sexy people.
Speaker 2: Don't you have mentioned he's hot?
Speaker 1: Yes, right, let's just mention it one more time, shall we like?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 1: Just be such an ego boost for that guy. Every episode they tell me how.
Speaker 2: Handsome, But then they kicked me out and that's the end of my character?
Speaker 3: All right, bye?
Speaker 1: That could be You know what what does not get a ringing endorsement in this is the home health aid industry. Because if that's who I'm hiring, I'm just gonna have to have my mom and ride oh my gown. She was awful.
Speaker 3: She must not.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, she was nice to Gabby's mom, but she was very mean to Gabby.
Speaker 1: Very mean, a little on the sadistic side. Yeah, just unnecessarily isn't Gabby paying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean if it weren't for Gabby, for her, for Gabby not taking her mom into her house, you wouldn't have a job right now.
Speaker 1: So plus would you have your mom living with you, but you're here taking care of somebody else's mom. Who's taking care of your momh? Boy, that pushed all my se.
Speaker 3: Yeah, geeesh.
Speaker 1: And there was a lot of a lot of parenting woes with the Alice said, speaking of words that are just straight like a knife to the heart. I'm more sad than mad. Anyways, You're not the person I thought you were.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Ouch, every every parent watching this episode.
Speaker 2: Just whisks absolutely just get a gun and shoot him. Yeah, yeah that was And it's like you here, it's like the you know, the inverse of when a parent would say to a kid, I'm not mad, I'm disappointed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so maybe we should through because now we know how it feels.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yes, that is yeah, painful both ways, but it leaves more of Mark on the parrot.
Speaker 3: Rough rough.
Speaker 1: And then she goes in stays again.
Speaker 4: Is it right?
Speaker 2: But we never saw her there, She was never like inconveniently there when when Gabby was trying to have a conversation with Derek, she was driving off in her Mini at that time.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm in her little car.
Speaker 2: Yep. And uh, Brian and Charlie are gonna have a baby now because the first mother found out that the other prospective parents were Disney adults.
Speaker 1: Is that a thing?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it's totally a thing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yes, yes. And also he gave her the troll you know, the trolls pulled through for them in the end. And it's a good thing because I think that adoption guy was just about to dump the.
Speaker 3: Yes, like I cannot anymore?
Speaker 1: Can we take both twins and they give one of the bag after you?
Speaker 3: Yes? He was so happy to see Charlie come.
Speaker 2: To their meeting.
Speaker 3: So then why did why did the birth mother call Brian? Yeah, that was another It was.
Speaker 1: A little weird weird. Maybe maybe the coordinator said, look, I don't want to talk to this too. Here's this one. You just take it from here. Only deal with Charlie parents.
Speaker 3: Brian he was like, I'm out of here. Yeah, I can't take it. Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh oh Wally, Jimmy's patient had a little parenting moment with a dog. You know, just couldn't give it back. It was fun the way that resolved. But if the guy can hear that well into her apartment, that would totally get Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's.
Speaker 1: Made for a fun comic mind but immediately put.
Speaker 3: To do something because that's that's disturbing.
Speaker 1: Or else, just just form a friendship with somebody you never have to see face to face. You just talked to him from the wall. It'll be fine.
Speaker 3: Yes, And.
Speaker 1: I really I think I spoiled last week the the thing of Sean dating Paul's as they and they in the actual appointment, they sort of started talking and he cut them off. But now Paul goes to inappropriately finds out that the doctor is at this bar and he goes to talk to her and then Sean Pompson. I loved the way he sits down and puts his arm around her, and then she kind of leans into him and puts her hand on his.
Speaker 3: Arm like this this is happening, Paul.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. She wasn't like trying to be very professional. She was just like, yep, here, we are so good for Sean. He also should have totally taken the apartment that that place looked nice. Nice, I would possibly leave my house to live in the place looks nice.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was, you know, of course, a nice impulse from Derek. But I do I can see Sean being like, I need to try to things for myself. Yeah, but you're right, it was super nice.
Speaker 1: Can you try to do things for yourself while you're still living in the house. If you can live someplace off of somebody's living, that it's probably good for him to be with people. So then, Oh, there's also the little issue of Julie having friends, which Paul knew in the abstract but not in uh fast right until he walks in into his former fortress of solitude finds her and a bunch of ladies That must have been the funnest casting. Yes, and they were working in every time there's this one blonde lady. Every time the camera was on that group, she was she was working for me. She was all but holding up her resume.
Speaker 3: But good for her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, okay, fine, I'm tried to think the last time I had that many women over in my house just to hang. Do people still have groups of friends like that?
Speaker 3: Well, like I have.
Speaker 1: I absolutely did it. One time. You have book I could have been book club.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It reminds me that scene in Jerry Maguire where she had there having their you know, divorced and otherwise broken up club and then he walked, Oh, Tom Cruise, I liked it anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a lot a lot happened, considering it was the second to last episode of the season.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, that is true. At one point I was talking about Sean. This seems like a parenting thing to me to tell somebody if you're not ready, that's fine. When you are ready, the universe will present another opportunity. I'm not sure that's always true, right, but it's a nice though. But that's what you got to tell you, right, You know, you can't say no, You just have to do it now. Which is possible that I have it doesn't work out? Yes, yeah, and uh.
Speaker 2: And of course the very end was that Jimmy realized he needed help and he and he actually reached out. He tried his old coping mechanism and it was lightly turned down.
Speaker 1: Very sweetly. I can find you somebody else, but I hope you won't be right and.
Speaker 4: Uh, and then he did actually call Paul, thankfully, because I was concerned when he was, you know, lurching about in traffic that yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm going to make it that far.
Speaker 1: So that did not That was not good. And really, honestly, Alice, you know I love you and all of your how many years of maturity, But what she was asking him was not reasonable that he should go do therapy for the person. It's not I mean, you can hope he's that kind of guy, but as not a reasonable ask.
Speaker 3: So she.
Speaker 2: She does, she does.
Speaker 1: But Lewis seems to be doing pretty good. He got to meet Summer and Dilnon, what do I Summer would probably cheer him up if she give him, if he gave her an opportunity, and uh, he has a friend at the coffeehouse, so that's going to friends. I love it. So he seems to be doing a lot better than Jimmy, right, he should give some counts to day but anyway, so we are now set up for the final episode of the String, which, although it dropped on Christmas Eve.
Speaker 2: Yes thanks the title is the last Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: And you couldn't. They couldn't quite get it to drop on Thanksgiving, so they say, well, what's the next holiday we can reasonably date? They didn't drop it on Christmas.
Speaker 2: They dropped for Christmas Eve. So we will be back for that next week and we'll see you here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years
Speaker 1: In the