Speaker 1: Hey, it's Neil Savedra.
Speaker 2: You're listening to kfi EM six forty the four Report on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Here's the deal.
Speaker 2: We have switched formats a bit today because there's so much going on, including the no Kings protest that is intensifying as you know, more and more people arrive there. I will also say, as we've been looking at information bringing up something right now, Bump bump. I just saw on La Taco some video of what's going on down there right now. So the police are preparing to kettle and disperse the protesters there in downtown La Now, I've not Mark, I've not heard any issues going on downtown. As for I'm not sure why they're giving a dispersed order now. Maybe it's too large.
Speaker 3: I think you might actually have more information than I do, Okay, which is professionally humiliating. I won't stand for this.
Speaker 1: I am listen.
Speaker 2: I know that we have our very own Michael Monks down there too, and maybe we can put it in a call and see what's going on with him. My guess is that this is dealing with the courthouse and the Federal building. But at this point to use the kettle, move where and then go ahead, and to disperse protesters is something that we're just hearing about, and we'll let you know as to any development.
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 3: Sorry, just now, coming across the wire, I'm seeing police are using flashbanks to push protesters away from the National Guard in Los Angeles. Comes as No King's Day protests take place around the country. The National Guard's been seen pushing protesters off the steps of a federal building they're protecting. And that's pretty much all we have right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they're moving closer to the federal buildings and therefore the protection they're in, and then you know that changes.
Speaker 1: Look at what did I say?
Speaker 2: I said around four o'clock is when we when things will change. It starts the I mean it's staying lighter later. But I knew that around four o'clock is when things could change, and we're seeing that now. But we'd like to take it just in a little a different food direction. To take a little breath here. Mark Ronner is there in studio here, and also we have Michael Monks downtown and we'll get back to some of that shortly, but right now we want to talk about an event that is coming at Hollywood under the Stars. It is Saturday, June twenty first, that is a just a week from today at Paramount Pictures. Now, if you've never been to an event at Paramount Pictures, holy poop. Sorry for my language, but holy poop. Is it a great place here on the streets of New York and all of those things. And we have some folks here to tell us about. Why don't you all introduce yourself. Start with you here.
Speaker 4: I'm Veronica Dover.
Speaker 5: I'm the CEO and executive director of Saint Vincent Meals on Wheels and Hollywood under the Stars is going to help us feed a lot more home bound seniors.
Speaker 2: You do a fantastic job with what you do. This is such an important service to those in need that that's very cool and this is a real fun way to do that.
Speaker 6: And Christopher Lucazy the Palm of Wife and the Palm and Glass l Park right off the two Freeway.
Speaker 1: All right, that's where my wife grew up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's changed a little, yeah yeah, but we do love Northeast, yeah la.
Speaker 7: And I'm Christy Lucazy, the Wife of Wife and the song.
Speaker 2: All right, I love that title and our resident baker. Yes, oh wow, I love it. What's your favorite go to? Do you have a favorite baking item that you do sweeter or savory?
Speaker 7: For sure? The most popular dish we have is our back cheesecakes.
Speaker 1: So is that what I'm looking at right here?
Speaker 4: A little slice?
Speaker 7: Because I figured you might have to have that after our savory dish.
Speaker 2: That is so intimidating. That is large, it looks luscious, it looks gorgeous, and the color.
Speaker 1: On that is outstanding. So it speaks a lot.
Speaker 2: So, Ronica, you want to tell us about the event and the cause and how people can get involved excellently.
Speaker 5: So this is an event for Saint Vincent Meals on Wheels. So we are the largest privately funded senior nutrition program in the country and we deliver over a thousand meals to homebound seniors across Los Angeles every day, and so this event will help us to raise money to feed even more seniors. The numbers of homebound seniors are going up dramatically as the baby boomers age, and as you all know, with the cost of food and fuel, there's just more and more that need help our average senior that we serve in the home has a monthly income of about one thousand and thirty eight dollars, So if you can imagine living in the city of Los Angeles on an income that low uky, it's just amazing. So the numbers of seniors that need help is growing and the cost to give the help to them is growing. So this is definitely a wonderful event that you're going to hear about in so much fun. But it's a great way to help a good cause.
Speaker 2: So they buy participating by going by, by buying tickets, getting out there.
Speaker 1: That's you know, the way to help for this event.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: What's a way for people that can't get out there? Is there a website or a place for them to donate that they can do that because they want to, you know, help meals for wheel.
Speaker 5: Oh, there's so many ways. So our website www. Dot svmow dot org will take you to many many ways that you can participate. Obviously, you can donate money to the cause and help us, you know, really feed the seniors that need us. You can also come volunteer if you want to come to our kitchen and help us put together meals. If you want to deliver meals to homebound seniors, which I tell you is something that will just blash your heart.
Speaker 4: It is to amaze. We would love to have you a Neil.
Speaker 1: That sounds wonderful.
Speaker 5: We also invite people to be if they can't come down, social call volunteers. These people are very disconnected. Sometimes our staff are the only people they see. So we have volunteers who call them on a weekly basis and talk to them and connect with them. And so even if you can't get out or you don't have a whole lot of time, you might be able to be a social call volunteer.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's very cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Our seasoned citizens are the ones with all the knowledge. Yeah, they know where all the potholes are in life.
Speaker 4: Oh, they're delightful to talk to.
Speaker 5: One of my favorite part of my job is getting phone calls from them. I hear the most amazing stories and.
Speaker 4: So visiting them.
Speaker 5: If you can deliver meals or being in a social call volunteer, you will be incredibly blessed.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And what's the average age of the folks that are in need?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So the majority of the people that we serve are between the ages of seventy one and ninety.
Speaker 4: We have several who are over the age.
Speaker 5: Of one hundred though, and that's really amazing because we're privately funded, we're not government funded. We can go below the age of sixty though, so we're able to serve people who are not able to shop and cook for themselves. So we might have someone in their fifties or in their forties with MS. Call those men with Alzheimer's with Yeah, yeah, they can't shop or cook for themselves. Yeah, yeah, that's all of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The youngest client I think we ever served was a twelve year old with renal disease who was on dialysis and we created a renal diet. We have that for a lot of folks, and his mother didn't know how to cook for him, so we provided his food for him until she learned what things he could eat and what things he could not eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, different types of protein and things like that that can.
Speaker 5: And these strains that you have to avoid. Yeah, we do a lot of medically tailored diets, are.
Speaker 1: R passia, all of those things. That's great, exactly, that is very cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, We're going to take a quick break and then we can come back hear more about the event. Will taste this food and talk about how people can participate that way.
Speaker 1: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: We're talking about Hollywood under the Stars. How sexy is that name? Right at Paramount Pictures back Loot. It's a gorgeous place off of Melrose, right is that? If I'm remembering correctly, right there off of Melrose, you know our and I think, yeah, it's just like you go right there and it's just really beautiful place to go have an event, been there many many times. So we'll be back with Veronica, Chris and Christy. So go no where.
Speaker 8: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nilsavedra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Lot going on.
Speaker 2: You've got the No Kings protests intensifying a bit now because you've got stuff going on. As they seems to be a little kerfuffle so far. Mark is that the word will go with a kerfuffle as they are now calling for the crowded disperse. Correct, it looks like a nascent kerfuffle. Okay, just a pre kerfuffle. Yeah, We're we don't have any update. The last we heard was that cops are using flash bangs to push people away from the Federal building. Well, my theory is flash bang is never a precursor to something good.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: You know, even when they color them blue and pink for like a baby reveal, there's always a fire or something starts afterwards. So it's not going to be the precursor to something good. No, not festive slash bangs are never I love that. That is the most literal marketing in the world. Flash Bang. What does it do well at flash isn't it bang?
Speaker 3: It's pretty much as advertised.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, we're talking about something happy and good and that is meals on wheels, And in this particular case, you've got the Saint Vincent Meals on wheels folks here talking about Veronica's here telling us about an event that is coming up on Saturday, June twenty first, that's a week from today. It's called Hollywood under the Stars. It's at Paramount, the Paramount Studio there, the Paramount Pictures, and it's a great event, involves food and lots of good things to eat, and it's for a great cause. We've got Chris and Christy here as well, co owners of Palm Wife and Palm I love that, and they're here. You've brought food. Tell me about what I'm about to push in my pie hole.
Speaker 6: Well, the dish that we're serving at the event is also one of our chef's favorite dishes, that is bluefin tuna, and it's his version of it. There, I mean, everyone in La has bluefin tuna going. So we get it sourced from four Stars Seafood out of San Diego, Holy hell, and make sure to mix it all up so you get a little everything. On the bottom is some braised salsafe. It's a root vegetable called it's like the oyster of the ground, so it looks like a mini leak grows in the ground. When you peel it and roast it, it gets a very umami like flavor of an oyster. And then we have the blue fin that was literally we just got those loins in this morning. And there's a green goddess a spuma on there. There's some crispy salsafe on top, and then onion ash. So the onion ash also yeah, well hey wow, after the show, after the onion ash.
Speaker 2: Which gives this very dramatic and gorgeous dark, yeah, slightly dusted look. Which first thing you'll notice is it just creates the dramatic contrast of all of the nooks and crannies gives you this real topographical you know, look at what you're about to dive into. The little bit of crunchiness on the top is great. That soft, buttery, gorgeous tuna pulls apart with your tongue and then up against that layer of flavor and that umami that you talked about sexy as how this is worth the entrance right there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, that's what we We've already Chef's already put an order in. I think we have like thirty pounds coming in.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: And our vendor four stars is they're going to portion it out for us so we don't have to waste time. They're already they're discounting it for us because it's such a great cause for Meals on Wheels and you know, we're super excited to be there next week.
Speaker 1: It's a gorgeous dish.
Speaker 2: Not only beautiful, look at is actually flavor, texture, everything is perfection.
Speaker 1: It really really is, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 6: And the hard part we found is trying to do that constantly when there's a line of people trying to get it. So, of course, but we try and make it perfect for everyone. So you might have to wait a moment, but we'll try and get them cranked out as fast as we can.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 4: How's that cake?
Speaker 2: I'm refraining from slapping anybody in the face right now. That is so good.
Speaker 7: The bass cheesecake is not like a New York cheesecake. It doesn't have a crust on the bottom. So we mix all the ingredients together, pop it in a spring form, put it in the oven for an hour at four hundred degrees and it bakes an incredible shell with three distinct textures coming out of it. Obviously, the caramelization on the outside you probably tasted it was like a little creamy or towards the middle, and then it gets a little bit orqukee towards the outside.
Speaker 4: Wow, you just had to have a little bit.
Speaker 2: I well, no, I had to be polite to not shove my face in like a pig. I would be bummed if that had a crust because it would only get in the way.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is so good, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again just looks like perfection. The color tones and the contrast between that creamy inside and the crust that's built on the outside is just beautiful.
Speaker 1: But man, that is good. That is dangerously good.
Speaker 7: Well, if we run out of it ever at the restaurant, there is hell to pay.
Speaker 4: So I'm always over baking.
Speaker 1: Oh good for you.
Speaker 2: Well, if you ever have laughed overs, you need someone to come, let's say pick it up. I'm done, I'm in easy peasy, all right. Tell everybody the important stuff because we're out of time.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, so we definitely want you all to join us at Hollywood under the Stars. It's week from today on the beautiful Paramount Lot. We'll be dancing the night away to the Dubois All Star Band. And we have a list of restaurants that are just incredible. And by the way, they donate this food. They bring this food to us and donate it, so they truly are our partners in our culinary angels. But we have Florence Osteria and Piano Bar, Lntica, Pizzeria Do Michelle, we have So Great Alexander's Steakhouse, Arth Bar and Grill Box, Chicken City Club, Los Angeles Imporium, tie Georgia's Restaurant.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Georgies. It's a great lineup.
Speaker 1: They're doing their gumbo, yes, and.
Speaker 4: It is so good.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: And then we've got Brownies Bertha May Brownies, lark Caickshop, We've got pastry Chef Genevie's, Jurys and Safie's, and we're going to have just a great time with a lot of good food. So we hope that a lot of the listeners will buy those tickets.
Speaker 4: Then come join us.
Speaker 2: S V mow dot org slash Hollywood. S V as in Victor mow dot org slash Hollywood. That is going to get you to the good folks at St. Vincent's Meal on Wheels and the event that is coming a week from today at Paramount Pictures Saturday, June twenty first, and it's Hollywood under the Stars. This is a must go to event and it's for a great cause. So again, s vmow dot org slash Hollywood for more information. Thanks so much for coming in, folks. It was a real pleasure to meet you and the food is just outstanding. All right, stick around, Well, there's much more to get into.
Speaker 8: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Slightly different today because you've got the No Kings protest downtown intensifying right now. It looks like flash bang grenades going off. I'm looking at visuals dispersal order and the visuals that come with that. Also, Yeah, I'm checking out some of the It looks like I'm seeing more and more of the Mexican flag right now. So maybe it maybe it has changed focused slightly, but it looked like maybe somebody was or groups were approaching the federal building. Let's get the uh, you know, boots on the ground view No pun intended with Michael Monks, our very own Michael Monks from KFI News. Who's out there right now? Michael, what are you see and what changed?
Speaker 9: Well? Oll Neil, I am leaving downtown right now to head out to Burbank to our studios to host later this evening. But what's transpired is the protests that we had been seeing in the days leading up to the No Kings protests, it's starting to transpire outside that federal building in downtown Los Ange along Alameda Street. So you've got some law enforcement from LAPD pushing protesters out of the area of that federal detention center where it's believed a lot of these immigrant detainees are being held. And so the scene that we've been seeing is unfolding again. You mentioned flash bangs and all that. That's all going on, protesters yapping at some of the law enforcement, and so that is a different vibe than what we saw at the No Kings protests, which was more of a general anti President Trump demonstration, very large demonstration in downtown LA. But now we're back to some of the behavior that we have been seeing earlier. I can tell you that outside of that area of Alameda Street, downtown is pretty ghostly right now. There's not anything going on, not a lot of people down here on a beautiful Saturday, where a lot of the businesses and restaurants would be entertaining a lot of folks, it's just not happening. So right now all of the fracas is back where it's been for several days, which is on Alameda Street.
Speaker 1: So is this additive?
Speaker 2: Did you see these same types of people there earlier for the general No Kings demonstration or is this a new group moving in that is more along the lines of the anti immigration and anti ice.
Speaker 9: You know, there were so many people downtown today that it would be very difficult to determine who was at one and then made their way to the other. But I'll just emphasize what I've been saying for the days leading up to today, and what I've said a couple of times today, is that the folks who protest in a way that is antagonistic towards law enforcement or military in this case, these days, they're also antagonistic towards those protesters that were in downtown earlier. They don't appreciate the No King's movement. They don't like that kind of protest. They like to get rough, and you can see on social media that some of the accounts that post antagonistic messages against maybe city Council on a regular day are continuing their behavior against police and law enforcement today, but also that protest. They don't like the No King stuff. They didn't like the hands off stuff a couple of months ago, because they don't like peaceful demonstrations. They don't think that it's effective. They like to get roth. And those are the types of folks who are on Alameda Street right now. I just watched a video before I got in the car out of Baker's Field. The No King's protest was taken over by a representative of that type of group who hijacked the microphone and started speaking and shaming those folks at the No Kings protests. They're saying they don't protest the right way.
Speaker 2: Oh see, yeah, oh well you calling out Martin Luther King Junior as well.
Speaker 1: I mean that's.
Speaker 9: Basically what I've gotten, exactly. I mean, that's exactly right. I mean, they don't think that it's effective. They want to see, I mean, either violence or at least an elevated.
Speaker 2: Protest interesting so that it looks like what we have to look forward to, not only during Tiffany Hobbs coming up at five, but you following Tiffany tonight then correct.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so we'll keep an eye on what's happening, you know on Alameda Street. The curfew we'll hit at about eight o'clock. And you know, I punch in the GPS every time that I come out the burbanks to see which route looks Davis for me get an update from our traffic people. And very rarely is it all open fields. Very rarely do you have every route available to you. And outside of the surface streets downtown the freeway. Right now, I'm on the one ten getting ready to get on the five. It has just been completely smooth sailing because nobody is down this way.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been an interesting time to see all this. I feared that after four o'clock it would start to go south. It seems to be going that way, which unfortunately is going to make your show and Tiffany Hobbs's show quite eventful.
Speaker 9: My guests, well, we would have it no other way, am I.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm looking forward to hearing all the stuff that obviously you've been on with us a couple of times today, but the reality is there's so much going on, so to make sure that you're listening tonight as well, following Tiffany Hobbs, you will have our very own Michael Monks and hearing everything that he saw, all the sites everything tonight as well. Great job, buddy, I know that it's a lot going on out there, but you're doing a fantastic job and we appreciate.
Speaker 9: You my pleasure. Neil, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: All right, Michael Monks out there on his way back to the station. He will be on tonight following Tiffany, So go know where you've been listening to the Forek Report, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty two to five pm on Saturday and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app. What an eventful day here on the Forek Report. We did talk a little bit about food and the big event that's coming up a week from today. Please don't sleep on this one Saturday, June twenty first, at Paramount Pictures, Hollywood under the Stars. What a beautiful event. This looks great and this is to raise money for St. Vincent Meals on Wheels. How great is that? How cool is that? So if you want to get tickets to this, and I highly recommend that this would be a nice way to celebrate such a great service, you go to svmow dot org slash Hollywood, s vmow dot org slash Hollywood and you can buy tickets there. The Ahi tuna tartar, which I'm not supposed to eat.
Speaker 1: It was so good. Well, kidney transplant, your immune systems lowered. Let me take back my lap.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, no, but like it is, I'm not supposed to be eating it, but it was so good that I wanted to try and it just it hit every note spot on.
Speaker 1: But yeah, not supposed to eat raw stuff.
Speaker 10: Are you feeling okay?
Speaker 1: I feel great.
Speaker 10: Okay, that's what's important. I'm like, don't you dare kill over. I'll be fine on my shift.
Speaker 1: He's out. Your shift just started early, sugar.
Speaker 9: You don't need any more news.
Speaker 2: But wow, this and that basque cheesecake. Stop it already, but just just wonderful. So great place to support. You've got Tiffany Hobbs coming up, and then Michael Monks will proceed after you. So I think the hit the heat, it's heating up already, the dispersal order, the flash bang grenades. Okay, so that's just off. I'm looking at Channel seven right now, looking there, right off of the one ten freeway.
Speaker 10: Yeah, looks to be kind of where things ramped up on Saturday as well, kind of in the same that same general intersection. But yeah, I was hoping they would wait until Monks show to kind of do all this other stuff, but it seems like they're starting early.
Speaker 2: You've got that guy's got a nine mask and he thinks that's gonna trust me. Yeah, rookie, Yeah, trust me. I mean unless you're trying not to get COVID, which that didn't even help well with.
Speaker 10: That massive crowd out there. I'm sure the numbers are gonna spike. Yeah, it's gotta be the story in a month.
Speaker 2: So it's uh, it's now picking up. And the kind of generic Democrat Jane and John Doe that we saw earlier in the Gone oil and the impromptu yoga.
Speaker 1: They got out of there quick. They're gone.
Speaker 10: They're heading back to Silver Lake. They're heading back to the West Side. Now you have the crowd that's been there for the last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that are coming back with the gear and you know, the gear continues to get more intense.
Speaker 10: We kind of expected this that once the no Kings Day protests started to die out, that we would see kind of a resurgence of what we've been seeing the last week. And it's definitely happening.
Speaker 1: So there's more of this that's coming.
Speaker 10: There's a lot more of this, Neil, there's this, there's the you know, there's this parade that's happening at the same time. It started thirty minutes early to avert the rain. They said, rain or shine. They're doing it for the two hundred and fiftieth birthday of the Military Flag Day and President Trump's birthday, although he says his birthday has nothing to do with it. It just happens to coincide with Flag Day and this parade.
Speaker 3: Is going on.
Speaker 10: I'll have updates about the parade as we continue to watch these things unfold. Will continue to update about what's happening in downtown LA as well as around the country if anything should become a bit more, you know, a little less peaceful than we saw it be earlier today, as it's starting to do so.
Speaker 2: You only have three hours between now and the curfew anyway, and this is in that curfew area.
Speaker 1: It looks like this is near Grand Park as well.
Speaker 10: And oh you know this, ABC seven is actually blurring out the graffiti, which is the first time I think I've seen that happen on local TV.
Speaker 4: They've been showing everything that's interesting. It's very interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw the F word a bunch of times today. Signs.
Speaker 10: There are some really creative signs, very creative signs, and I kind of.
Speaker 1: Applaud them sometimes.
Speaker 2: I go, you know what, whether I agree or disagree, it's not that that's a creative sign. That's a funny, good way of getting your point across a lot.
Speaker 10: Of stuff going on out there. Oh you see the smoke, there's a flash bangs.
Speaker 2: No more flash bangs and this your gas. Perhaps this looks more chaotic.
Speaker 4: Yeah this, Oh.
Speaker 10: That one just went off right there in the middle of that crowd. Oh, it almost hit a person.
Speaker 2: Well that person looks like they kicked it into another part of the street.
Speaker 1: Oh, but this looks like full on troublemakers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: These are the agitators who come out and do this, and they wait for their opportunity to make a mess of things. And unfortunately this will now be I think what people often refer to when they recollect what happened today. They'll focus on this when the hours preceding this were totally peaceful, totally peaceful. Yeah, and now you have this chaos and ridiculous that.
Speaker 2: Has to be about from my calculations, from what I've seen about two hundred and fifty to three hundred agitators. Yeah, that kind of causes that. Yeah, that whole thing to go south.
Speaker 10: They do, and they hang out past the curfew. They hang out and you know, kind of in these dark recesses of these areas, and yeah, they really make a mess of things out as they're doing now.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so is that is that city hall right there.
Speaker 10: That looks to be city. That's okay. So yeah, that's all Bear Street. That's the first firehouse right there. They're on. Yeah, Maine or that's Maine. That's main right there that we're looking at. Looks like there were Alameda, think about sorry, Alameda's behind us. I believe I'm looking at Maine to the west.
Speaker 1: Because that's near the train the train station.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so that's the main overpass that's on last Saturday week earlier than today that those had the five to six deep with black and whites.
Speaker 10: And the Waymos. Yeah, that's where the Waymos burn. So that's where they're at and they've cleared. Apparently there is no Waymos or lift or in those areas. And you've talked about this, the the impact on the economy, the impact on the service industry. I read something that said, you know, one weekend of loss is uh you know, more or less relate it to or it could be compared to one month of loss and a time like this and then you know, sustained weeks of this could topple a business.
Speaker 1: That food doesn't stay good.
Speaker 2: It doesn't. Yeah, and there's there are there's a lot that is going on. But continued coverage of what's going on. We will hand everything over to the always capable Tiffany now Tiffany Hobbs, and then she will hand it over to Michael Monks, who's been out there all day today and so all that stuff going on, so go know where. Thanks for listening to KFI. More news and information to come. Thanks to Mark Runner for coming in of course, to Robin and as always and to Matt to Toffler for being here as well.
Speaker 1: Thanks everyone, you're
Speaker 8: Listening to The Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI AM six forty