Speaker 1: Hey guys, Hey guys.
Speaker 2: Look, Welcome to episode number what is it?
Speaker 1: I don't know? Sixteen.
Speaker 2: Welcome to episode number sixteen of a Strange Thing podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Mike and I'm Often and we.
Speaker 2: Are your hosts for this strange podcast. Yeah, and we're feeling especially strange tonight. It's been rough. It's been a weird whole couple of weeks. Yeah, And actually it's been a weird summer.
Speaker 1: It's been a weird year before that.
Speaker 2: It's just been weird. It's been a.
Speaker 1: Teen was a weird year for our family. It is, it's been twenty twenty. It has been a weird year for the world.
Speaker 2: But you know, everybody I talk to say that it's been a weird thing for them and their family too. It's eighteen, it's a strange thing. Twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying, like, twenty nineteen was weird for our family. It was, and then twenty twenty is just weird.
Speaker 2: It's a continuance of weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not weird for our family, oh it is, but it's also weird for everybody. It seems like.
Speaker 2: There's just a lot of weird things going on in the world. Yep, you know, everything from dust clouds that covering the continent to grasshoppers and locusts, swarms taking over areas, to earthquakes.
Speaker 1: And bars, clothing.
Speaker 2: And weather weirdness and face masks and all kinds of like viral fears.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's been weird. It's weird, weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we're glad you're here, and we want to today as you listen to this podcast, we want to spread a little joy, a little hope, a little cheer, even though it's like Christmas in July, guys kind of And I don't even know if I'm feeling it, but I'm so sick of feeling it that I'm gonna make myself feel it tonight. I'm gonna feel it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, feel that happiness.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be happy. Damn it, I'm gonna be so happy. I'm just not gonna be able to control myself. Woo woo. But anyway, now we got that out of the way. And if you're playing our drinking game, I said, but anyway, that's another thing we should add to our drinking game. If we say but anyway, or you hear the.
Speaker 1: Dogs bark, oh, yeah, every time you hear.
Speaker 2: The dogs bark. You get to drink an entire beer unless you don't want to drink anything alcoholic, and then you can drink an entire water or an entire soda because we do not want to encourage unresponsible drinking in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 1: There you go, There you go. That's our disclaimer disclaimer for the day.
Speaker 2: Your mom will be happy.
Speaker 1: If you want an idea of our mood. Right now, my dad's wearing a Saracha shirt. Yeah, we've got solely from the Monsters Inc. Plush toy. Boo from the Monsters Inc. Plush toy next to a box from Blade Runner the DVD compilation, a fishing reel above that is a mic from Monsters Inc. And a four legged Imperial Walker.
Speaker 2: You know, I gotta say, you're almost making me cry because it's stuff that brings me so joy.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just so silly. I know, I'm just.
Speaker 2: Kind of a weird guy and we like weird stuff. And it's all around us here in the office, and he's looking at my little shelves up there. And I did stuff for Monsters Inc. On video gaming when I was you know, doing that kind of stuff back in the day. And I don't know. I've always been kind of a weird guy, and I feel like I am so lucky and blessed to be able to do this kind of stuff. We don't make any money on this thing. We do this for fun. We don't want notoriety anymore than just we hope people enjoy it. And so I'm hoping people hang with us, you know, and realize we're not professionals. We're just we're hacks, but we're having fun.
Speaker 1: If you if you want a really good representation of how serious we take this, well, maybe not serious. We take it kind of serious.
Speaker 2: Some of some of it are very serious, like our strange acts of kindness that was a really cool episode.
Speaker 1: But how lighthearted we come into it is my dad's drinking whiskey and a Sarroger shirt next to a plastic corn on the cob that's half shucked painted bright gold. It was metallic paint.
Speaker 2: It's a corn hole trophy. It's a cornhole trophy. It's a great trophy like cornhole sometimes. But anyway, now we are way we're way down the corn hole.
Speaker 1: We are way down the corn hole.
Speaker 2: Let's pull out of the corn so let's get back on topic. We're talking about petroglyphs. We're talking about things that are written on rocks. And we did the strange rock kind of narrative because it is weird, and we went down and looked at a lot.
Speaker 1: Of these well not a lot, but well several several and in our immediate proximity.
Speaker 2: And I've been to several others that I did on my own before I was, you know, because you were busy with life and having a kidd stuff. So for those who listened to our previous episode, we were talking about a specific strange rock that was close to where we are geographically in southern Idaho, which was called Map Rock, and Map Rock it is believed to be one of the oldest, if not the oldest map in the world.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they estimate, and I say they it's archaeologists, people who study this kind of thing, have estimated that the petroglyphs on this rock could be up to twelve thousand years old.
Speaker 1: That's pretty darn old it is.
Speaker 2: And I've heard from a people on our Facebook page. I got a note from Marco who studies this stuff, and he says that's way off. Ooh, And they have scientific research papers that basically show that that's an impossibility for it to be that old. It's speculation on both sides because we weren't there. But I like to think of it being really old, because that's more strange. Yeah, so we're going to roll with that, and Marco's I thank you for your input because I like to be informed, and we're going to keep looking at that stuff.
Speaker 1: We see the logic and we choose to ignore it, not ignore it, but it stays in our cranial capacity, that cavern of cranial goodness is still pondering that information. You can't debate that it's not old.
Speaker 2: It's old.
Speaker 1: So we'll go with old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, And like we kind of talked about last week, petroglyphs no matter where they're found, and they're found all across the Americas, South America, North America up into Canada. I mean, the whole continent is scattered with these strange petroglyphs. And what they are and why they were written has been a topic of debate among specialists for hundreds of years. And so we're a couple hacks and we're looking at it from a total hack perspective and not knowing much and we're relating it to things that we understand today, and it could be totally wrong, but yet it's fun.
Speaker 1: It might be totally wrong.
Speaker 2: It might be totally right, but you may be right.
Speaker 1: I may be crazy.
Speaker 2: I know you're crazy.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: So we're looking at this with different eyes because we've never studied petroglyphs until we realize that there was this thing sitting down on the Snake River Canyon about thirty miles away that was very interesting and very strange. That was our genesis. That's where we started our consideration for this thing. So last episode we talked about these rocks that have been chiseled or scratched. Some people call them rock art, some people call them petroglyphs. They can be called whatever you want. But they've been there a heck of a long time, and we know that they were most likely carved by the indigenous people of those regions. All across the United States, there have been Native American tribes or Indian tribes that have inscribed on rocks for one reason or another and have created a very intricate catalog of symbols that can be found all across the world. It's not just here in the United States, it's in Hawaii, it's in Europe, it's in Ireland, it's all over the place, in Australia, in Africa. These things exist everywhere, and these things, some of them are contemporary with things from ancient history that we know of, like Babylon and Assyria and Egypt. They're contemporary, they've been they were taking place at the same time as far as our ability to date when these things happen. So it's fascinating because we hear a lot of Middle Eastern history and we see a lot of Middle Eastern you know, kneiform writings or Egyptian hieroglyphics. Yeah, that's the word.
Speaker 1: It's funny that we were talking about this another podcast that I listened to, he just did the history of Egypt and all their mythology and stuff, not necessarily a history, but the mythology and kind of how the the geography ties into the mythology of the the god, the sphinx, the the mummification process, raw, you know all that stuff. Yeah, that's Dan Cummins Time podcast is super good. Great.
Speaker 2: We like that and I know tech we're not supposed to call out things, but we don't care because we're doing this for fun, and we love those guys. It doesn't matter if it's true crime and garage or or you know, pick your podcast, whatever it is. We're so thankful for those guys that we consider them pioneers and we love to be doing the things that they do well, even though maybe we're not doing it.
Speaker 1: I feel like there were even topics that this guy covered. He just talked about all this egyptology, and he covered some of the hieroglyphics and things that they might mean. And it's funny to even reference them now because I feel like what I learned is coming from from that. I feel kind of weird.
Speaker 2: We get on here like we know all this stuff. You know. Why we know is because we get on the trail of something and then we google it and we do some research, and then we think about it and we talk about it, and we go look at things and we try to apply our perspective to it. But it's not like we are wise or educated in the in all of these topics. It's because we do a little research and because we have such a great information plethora of information available on the Internet.
Speaker 1: I think our our goal as the podcast kind of originally is to be able to go do things and talk with people and kind of get their opinions, but recent circumstances has kind of limited that. So you've opened up kind of the Facebook talk page that we're going to get some stories in some opinions, but it's not going to be like when we went to Shishowon and the no that marine was telling us about grabbing police officers by the Gonads because they insulted his mom.
Speaker 2: And rock Lady was going to show us the entrance to the Hallow work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's not going to be quite that that was.
Speaker 2: An extra extra special but.
Speaker 1: Hopefully we can get on that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: And I kind of like what this has forced us into Little Mareice, Yeah, because it's nice because we're still able to do those things. But at the same time, now we're digging a little deeper maybe than we would have, and so we're actually learning more. I feel like I'm learning more every time I do a topic about, you know, the local history or whatever, and I'm thankful for that. Even though maybe sometimes it can kind of derail where we're going on the strange scale, it still is something that's very interesting. I think it brings an added depth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does definitely bring some credibility to it. Yeah, and it almost highlights some of the more bizarre and strange things that we talk about. But we are off topic.
Speaker 2: We are again we do this, We've gone down a rabbit hole. But what we discovered in our research and looking around locally is that petroglyphs, these things are everywhere in the Snake River Plain, all the way from where we are here in outside of Boise, Idaho and Marsing, Idaho, all the way up through Idaho Falls and Pocatello and the far eastern side of the state, and then you go south down into Utah and New Mexico and Arizona and into California and Nevada. These petroglyphs aren't literally everywhere. One thing that's really cool about petroglyphs and that they are everywhere, is that they share a lot of commonalities. And tonight we want to get into a little bit of that. We're just going to touch on it and what their purpose was, if there was a purpose. Well, last episode you were talking about you Entertainment Mom and Dad show showing Indian decides that they're tired of their their teenager being smart mouthed and sends them outside with the younger boys and out of bored and they start scratching on rocks.
Speaker 1: And I think that's probably I'm not going to say it's all of them, but there has to be kids that were messing around and made these scratches on rocks that today are taking so serious.
Speaker 2: Or maybe they saw an elder of the tribe or a medicine man or some type of shaman figure do something and then they but they mimic that or they copy it.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've got Crayola markers, crans, we've got colored pencils, we've got paint water colors.
Speaker 2: Well, now you have everything electronic too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but and like paint program on the computer has been around forever, first Bueler's day.
Speaker 2: Off and on. Now little kids playing on little electronic.
Speaker 1: And they're painting and always and they've got felt and paper boards that you can color each square different color based on the number. You know what I'm talking about. Kids are always color and stuff drawn and sticks in the dirt making chalk on the sidewalk. So there's no way that every little petro Griff Petrick hippogriff.
Speaker 2: Petra glyph, petrick glyph. Yes, we're we're drinking a little whiskey. I don't think that's impacting this yet, But any slur you could blame on that.
Speaker 1: I don't think that that those are all serious. Like, there's gotta be some that are just kids messing around or even went around. Yeah, even adults, but mostly like to me, I just picture the insignificance and and it is important for kids to be creative, but the insignificance of a child just sitting there being goofy or even we see it and we're like, what do these lines mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, and we take it so serious. There's gotta be something or is so stupid.
Speaker 2: Or kind of like that. What if, like I mean what we're saying Native Americans didn't have a sense of humor.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm sure. So they could just be.
Speaker 2: Like chiseling like some funny cartoon on a rock. You know, we wouldn't know the difference. Yeah, but you know, maybe they were more special than that. I after doing some research, I actually think they are one of the other areas that are you know, famous for petroglyphs here in this region. Would be the area known as weeze Bar. Weeze Bar, weeze Bar all right. Now, it's southeast of Marsing where we were at looking at map Rock. But usually what you have to do is you have to go down along the Snake River and there's a dam that's owned by a hydroelectric company here in Idaho, and you have to go across their dam and then you hike about a mile a mile and a half back and out in the middle of this field are a bunch of rocks. They they're these boulders left over from the Great Bonneville Flood and they're kind of rolled up and they're round and like in Hagerman they call them watermelons, rock melons. It's the same kind of thing. Yeah, they're they're smoothed over because they were tumbled through, yeah, through this flood. And the Native American tribes that were in this area, which were the Shoshone tribes, how they started carving on these rocks at Weezebar. And you know, I don't think they're dated as old as map Rock was, but they're still the same kind of symbolism. They have squiggles, they have squirrels, they have circles with dots in the middle and then lines coming out, and you know, you look at these things and they're common. And then you can go and look at other petroglyphs all across the United States and you'll see those same kind of symbols.
Speaker 1: Some things that kind of translate all the way across.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of what we're going to talk a little bit about tonight.
Speaker 1: Well, I know what one of them means for sure. What you know the squiggles when you when you get a pan and and you're signing the receipt at the restaurant and you go up in the top left corner and you scribble. They're just checking to make sure that they're hammer and fizzle work. Oh yeah, just like let me get the ink flowing here, I'll put my circle with Okay.
Speaker 2: I wish I could get rid of that scribble up there, but I can't because if chisel yeah, well I don't know if that's quite accurate, but that's a really good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, test to make get the ink get that chisel hand working.
Speaker 2: Well, here's one thing I had because I've been thinking about it and I knew we were going to do this podcast. And I was thinking about what would be an equivalent of this today. Now, I'm a graphic artist. I work for a company, and part of what I do is design these things called icons. And the icons basically what they do they convey an idea without any kind of phonetic or spoken information. Right, So you see them and you get the understanding that they mean something without ever saying a word or you know, reading a written word.
Speaker 1: Like an emoji.
Speaker 2: An emoji is exactly the same thing, right, And I got thinking, maybe these rock petroglyphs are icons or emojis that was used to convey information, not written language like you know, Oh no, I totally think that, yeah, and not you know, different than what the you know, the Egyptians had, which was, you know, different ways of actually writing out things that meant words that people would think words. These icons speak beyond that, they go around it. It's like sign language. Yeah, So when you're doing sign language, you can spell out a b CD with your fingers and then you have to learn to spell and write, and then you can come up with the A word and that word will give you a meaning, or you can do something more primitive, like if you're thirsty and you want to drink of water, you make a symbol of holding the cup and you raise the glass up and go gulk and you basically conveyed in sign language drink. Right.
Speaker 1: I do that all the time. We have some coworkers that are like Bosnian or Russian, and they they're super nice people and they like to talk and hang out and they have some of the funnest sense of humor. But when I talk to them about important things, I'm always using gestures and pointing at things or like if it's a if I'm saying like, yeah, you set it down on a table, like put my hand on the table. I gotta like, I gotta make an extra effort.
Speaker 2: To because make sure they understand.
Speaker 1: So me being pissed off in my angry face as universal, right. Nobody from China is going to see me and be like, why why is his face red? He's happy, you know, but the scowl makes it universally angry.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So these symbols can be taken universally if they are.
Speaker 2: Right, and they're just expressions made with your face, your arms, your hands, your legs. You know your body, and you know what's really interesting, if you study you know the Native American tribes and even through South America, You've got all of these common types of communication through nothing more than a sign language. And so they would make these gestures and they could communicate from the East coast to the West coast, from North America to South America. It's something that was going on and we know this. And the graphic equivalent of that is iconography. These icons, these petroglyphs could be an writing system of ideas and concept and words that do not need to have a phonetic kind of connection.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: And when I thought about that this the light bulb went on, and and I hadn't done any research yet. I was just thinking, what if these were like icons? Because my job I have to like create a set of icons that we can use for people to know to click on a button or this is a weblink or this is a video.
Speaker 1: Down this trail is Microsoft.
Speaker 2: Right, and so you know a mouth with a line thread that says no talking, mute button, mute button, or it could be this is you know, a speaker icon, Oh, you know, whatever it is. We've got our icon set and they're pretty universal.
Speaker 1: Like airplane mode on your phone exactly the airplane, right, you know what airplane is, so airplane mode. You can't have your phone on an airplane.
Speaker 2: And so you who speak English would understand it just as well as somebody who's Japanese who doesn't speak English.
Speaker 1: Who understand principle, who.
Speaker 2: Speaks any other kind of language on the planet. If they're aware of that icon, they don't need to say anything. They know they understand. And I thought, well, what if these symbols were like icons on rocks and they're communicating something to everybody else. We know, all these Indian tribes had different languages that they spoke, But if they could write something on a rock that would convey messages to somebody else that was familiar with the iconography or the ideogram, then they could do what we do with icons for this so called primitive people of four thousand years ago, and all of a sudden, that is very very advanced.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, yeah, I use the same thing. And it's funny that we're talking about map rock, but on you saw my little hunting app. Right, I don't know if I'm supposed to say the name of the company on here.
Speaker 2: I think you could say it on X. The one do you use on X.
Speaker 1: Hey folks, Brandy Newburgh here he always does an on X thing. But yeah, on X hunt app that's what I use for hunting. It has little way points you can you can set and we're talking about map rock and all these symbols. You should see my page. It's either an X where I'm like, oh, this place looks cool, I'll just put a vague red X. And the other places I'm like, man, that place looks like it's got a like a drainage or like a water going through the Let's put a little water drop because to me, that means water. Water drop means water. I got I got a tent that means maybe like a camp. Here, I've got a picture of a truck or an ATV or a motorcycle saying this is where I parked my car, ATV or motorcycle. So you've got all these little icons, iconography or whatever that word you said, ideographic writing system.
Speaker 2: Geographic writing systems, yeah, ideograms, idio when they or ideograms yeah.
Speaker 1: But it's it's just an image that represents like a whole meaning, like a whole group of meaning.
Speaker 2: Even like so what scientists would call this is a language of the mind. Now, we're gonna let's let's jump into this a little intellectually here, because I love this kind of stuff. So what is a word? When you hear something and you hear language, what does it do inside your head? What is the communication that's going on? Do you think in words? Do you think in images? I mean, it's fun to think about. So if you see an icon and you see it, you understand what it is. But do you have to say the word in your mind to understand what it is? Or do you know what it is without the word?
Speaker 1: I think you know how everybody's like a neurologic pathways or whatever, and you can like retrain your mind to do different things. If you've had like PTSD or something, I think your mind's already got paths based on previous experiences that start when you're like my son's agent. He doesn't know a bottle is a bottle, but he knows that a bottle satisfies this feeling he has right that he doesn't know his hunger.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, and that's great because he's not capable of thinking in words yet.
Speaker 1: It's all conditioned responses.
Speaker 2: It's a language of the mind. It's it's an understanding intellectually of something that makes us understand a principle or concept, and it does not require words, and sometimes you can't even put words to it. Think of things like love. I mean, you can say the word love, and that can mean a million things to a million different people. That could mean a million things to different people. I guess that makes sense sense, But the actual emotion of love cannot be described distinctly in words, but you feel it instantly in the language of the mind, and the best that words can do is kind of help you trigger that. But they're totally independent because you'll do things out of love without ever saying, oh, because I love this person, I'm going to do that thing. It'll just be a reaction of that emotion. And so it's really interesting to see that these kind of communications actually are more effective and universal than phonetic language kinds of communication, because in phonetic or written languages, they are prone to misunderstandings and misinterpretations in different meanings true, where in a language of the mind you are getting the raw base information that means something. It's fascinating to me that sign language works that way, that iconography works that way, and possibly these ancient, primitive people with very limited understanding. We're actually doing something that was more communicative universally than what we have now in a phonetic language, even like is it Greek?
Speaker 1: Just using your example of love, is it Greek? Or like four different words for a gape and all those words different words for love, they kind of mean like brotherly or like you're a human and I love you in a way that is we have something in common. I love you as a eros. But yeah, you know what I mean. There's even other languages that have tried to like separate these things, just using love as an example, but there's a different love between me and my sons, between me and my wife, between me and my dad, between me and my truck, between me and my.
Speaker 2: Bow and your friends, if you had any Yeah, you know, it's fascinating. We could linger in here. We could do a whole episode on the strange meaning of words and concepts and ideas. But what we have in petroglyphs could be an iconographic idea graphic idiom kind of driven communication system of antiquity that conveyed information across people of different spoken languages across the entire planet.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a lot of big words.
Speaker 2: Basically a universal system of communication independent of spoken language.
Speaker 1: No, I agree, I totally agree, and I like that idea, and I guess that's kind of how I pictured it anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and isn't that it's weird. It's kind of like basic, but it's also like super rad super because it's like it's something we want to make things more complicated. It is simple.
Speaker 1: Linear logic, like it's everything's in a line. Everything's got to be word for word where you can't use your imagination.
Speaker 2: Right word for word instead of concept for concept exactly.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm trying to get. Western perspective, Eastern perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, which you know, shout out to Andrew. You harp on this all the time.
Speaker 1: Here's the point. Some people see a clock and know what time it is. They see numbers and they say, yes, it is this hour and this minute. And other people see the sun and say, I got a few hours until I need to go to bed, and other you know, they know their priorities and everything's kind of free flowing based on the things that are around them. And then over here the Roman intellectual logical, intellectual logical Westerner perspective. Greek, I guess I said Roman, but similar.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, Greco Roman.
Speaker 1: It's it's linear.
Speaker 2: It's like type of wrestling.
Speaker 1: Because it is six thirty. I have a meeting, but that wasn't around. There wasn't six thirty. There was suns about here. Better head over to lunchtime.
Speaker 2: The way that you see the world, the way that you explain the origination of things, is through the lens of that kind of culture. Now we're looking backward with lenses of the twenty first century. We're looking back and we're trying to look through you know, fifteenth fourteenth century. Maybe we're looking back and we're looking through two hundred BC goggles, two thousand BC goggles. How do we do that?
Speaker 1: And you can't. It's not really I don't think that's possible. Your perspective is going to be skewed.
Speaker 2: But a lot of these traditions have been carried through an idea. We get a hint. They were dependent on the constant or erratic nature of nature itself. So if they had a flood, if they had an earthquake, if they had a drought, if they had rain. All of these things became basically characters and their narrative for their understanding of their lives and their world around them.
Speaker 1: Not to bring up like the whole Egyptian culture again, but they had gods for everything from death to pour to potty, you know, like what I was just spending out some of the random things. But whatever they did, fertility, killing, death, life, food, every pleasure, everything had a like an image really that meant kind of represented or was the deity of that specific thing. And I don't know, I just picture that gets. Your natural go to is to take a thing, associate it with another thing.
Speaker 2: You explain it the best you can.
Speaker 1: And and two people who can't just you know, they're like, well, the water is falling from the sky. We know what water is, but why is the water in the sky? Is there more water? So why is there water here? Well, there must be something up there that's telling the water to come down. But instead it's like, well, actually, when water gets hot, it turns into a vapor and the vapor rises because the heat and the heat condenses in the air. They didn't that, they didn't know these things, so they just associated there must be a giant kitten in the sky peas d.
Speaker 2: It smells bad that that cries.
Speaker 1: Regularly or whatever in it either brings a flood or it brings more crops or drought or and they associate it with this important thing. But it's a scientific It is.
Speaker 2: Really interesting because there's this like a layering of understanding. And if you look at the mythologies of some of the Native American peoples from in we're looking back, you know, over thousands of years, and the narratives that they have sometimes are very similar to the narratives that we find in other cultures, whether they are Greek or they're Syrian, they have these commonalities. And as for instance, I was looking at the similarities of the narratives of the petroglyphs in southern Utah and there is a petroglyph down there that kind of has this narrative and it was interpreted by a guy named martineau Levan living Levan, and we'll talk a little bit about him in a minute, but basically, the interpretation of this petroglyph is that the creator, God of the universe created humans. Humans decided that they had the choice of going down one or two paths. One led to destruction, one led to eternal life. The ones that went down the path to eternal destruction, eventually made enough bad decisions that they were eternally damned. And the smart ones, the ones that believed in this eternal creator, went down a different path. And even some that were going down the wrong path eventually changed their direction and they came back to the right path. And then they joined this creator who was before and after forever. So he was the Alpha and the Omega, and there were two paths, and one kind of spirit came in and let a lot of people off in the wrong direction, and they went down the wrong path. They had the opportunity at a certain point when there was a branch that joined the two paths to jump back onto the correct path. They some chose not to, some chose to. The ones that chose not to went off to eternal destruction. The ones that chose to go back to the correct path went on to live with God forever. What does that sound like?
Speaker 1: It sounds like the Christian.
Speaker 2: It sounds very similar to a lot of the Middle Eastern kind of concepts of God and redemption and what the purpose and endpoint of life is. And it's really weird. So anyway, like I mentioned earlier, there was this young man who was born in nineteen thirty two. His name was Martin o'levan, and so he's born right in the middle of the Great Depression, and he lived in southern Utah and Cedar City and the Payute tribe had people that lived there as well, part of that tribe. And when he was ten years old, his parents died, don't I don't know how, but they died, and a Piute Indian man named Edric Bushhead.
Speaker 1: It's a strong name. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Apparently in this tribe they believed that an orphan was to be taken care of. So this member of the Piot tribe who happened to be he was in an accident and actually lost his arm at his shoulder, so he was he was handicapped.
Speaker 1: What's a what's a four eight sheepherders wagon?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he lived in a sheepherder's wagon. The sheepherders at that time would take the wagon out and they let the you know, the flocks graze. And that's what he had to live in. And so when or Martineau's dad and mom died and left him as an orphan, and probably in the nineteen forties, this guy, Adric bush it member of the Piute tribe basically adopted him and took him as his own and adopted him into the Piute tribe, and he started learning about that culture, and so he kind of had this unique perspective. And then after that he joined the military in the war and actually served on one of the teams that interpreted cryptographic messages. He was fascinated with the idea of different kinds of codes. And then after the war, he took that information and he started studying the petroglyph things that were in that area and was starting to wonder if maybe these things were more than just rock art. So he studied these things for over thirty five years and he started to develop Even though he had no formal scientific degree or training, he started picking up on these commonalities and realized that there were these things going on in these petroglyphs that had meanings in an idiographic way, that they were conveying deep information in an iconic way to anybody that knew how to read that iconic message. So anyway, this guy was very, very interested in this. He spent his whole life and he wrote a book about it, and people in the science field that were you know, pedigreed with multiple degrees from different universities kind of poo pooed his ideas. But because he was uniquely situated, because he knew that that culture so well, and because he studied so long and so hard, it really started to get a foothold. And what was going on is that people would go and they'd start recognizing these symbols and realizing that they meant certain things. And then they were discovering that they were accurate, that they were finding out the right information, and that they were telling the stories that made sense. So he'd see a symbol that meant something, and maybe that symbol meant go around this, go upwards, and then when you get to the top, go to the right, and there you will find another symbol. So he started going out and he would find those kind of symbols. He would follow those, he'd follow the path, he'd go and do what it said, and sure enough there would be another petroglyph with more information, and that petroglyph could be like an entire panel with all kinds of information like a story, or maybe it was another direction to go to another place. And like these light bulbs were going off, It's like wait, This is not just like some helter skelter kind of information that people out scratching the rocks. This is a very intricate form of communication for people knew how to read it, and it's debated, but it's pretty cool. This kind is a mind blower. And you go out on the you know, Google, and you google some of this stuff and you start seeing that there are a lot of people that are catching onto this and they're putting together these chains almost like a it's almost like a treasure map. It could be about maybe a war between two different tribes. It could be about maybe the battle with the Europeans. It could be something about, you know, don't make your camp here because there are floods. And so there's all this information being communicated on these angel petroglyphs. And when I started getting into this, I'm like, I got this weird tangle because that's it was like my idea that what if these are like icons, what if these are idiograms?
Speaker 1: It's definitely the same, and that's what it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, in.
Speaker 2: This guy's context, that's exactly what it is exactly. So you know, one word, I guess the show shown tribe or the pot tribe had to describe these rock writings, but they called them timpy pull up and I hope I'm pronouncing it right. But they have a name for these things. Yeah, they call it rock writing. They don't call it rock art like modern archaeologists do. There are a lot of archaeologists that are are just totally against this. They do not believe this. They think they were too primitive. They think this is just simple scratches because the people were just way too old to have that kind of sophistication they and what really blows their mind is that this is a communications system that spreads across the entire United States, if not the entire world in some way. Yeah, And that's a mind bore.
Speaker 1: If you think that they're so primitive that they can't come up with some system to convey information without verbal communication, then they should just go hunting. Yeah, because all you do is is read little iconography symbols on the ground and pay attention to all these different variables that mean things to you, that are just symbols basically of something that's been there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, that's all they're doing. It's the same exactly, it's the same thing. Why would we think that we are like the only ones intelligent enough to do this in modern day. Well, people have been doing this for thousands of years.
Speaker 1: You see, you see all the grasses laid down, and the whole area smells like elk like grass. They'll probably lay down here and sleep here. This is a betting area. This is where they sleep, which is where you're gonna shoot them. So why not mark that down as a way, you know, it's logic, And I don't think people's brains, Yeah, they've developed over time. I'm sure they're different. I bet you our brains are smaller now than they used to be. But they've always been reading signs, that's what you call it when you're hunting, reading sign and they literally lived off of hunting and gathering and finding and foraging.
Speaker 2: We've got a lot of pictures on our website you can look at and you'll see some of these, Like you have these spirals and they start in the center and then they kind of go out clockwise, they kind of rotate out and grow bigger and bigger, And kind of a common interpretation of that is that like that's like the universe almost, like if you're looking at the North Star and everything spins around the North Star. But what Levon said is that no, what you're looking at here is a very descriptive directional map on where you need to go to find the next bit of information. So if you see it start in the center and move clockwise like it's climbing out, then that means you need to climb up and then at some point that line will break and you'll get a straight line, maybe even a hook in it. And it's saying okay, when you get up to the top, go straight and then look and there'll be a dot there, and somewhere around where that dot is represented, you're going to find the next petroglyph that gives you more information. So if you know what to look for, you'll go to the spot where you'll finally end up at the panel petroglyph that has the information that they actually want you to understand. So these outlying petroglyphs that have like directional indications, they call them locator glyphs. That's kind of our word for them. The thing about them that he talked about is if they're not true, all you'd have to do is do it one or two times, and if you couldn't find where you were supposed to find more information. If it didn't work, then you would discount it, you would say this is not what it is. But what Levin said is that without fail, with zero inaccuracies, he followed that map indicator and found the next petroglyph, and then he spent years and years and years deciphering little subtleties of little attachments to those informational petroglyphs, those icons that meant even more information. He died I think in Gosh. I think it was in the nineteen nineties, but he spent his entire life recording his discoveries on this, and it's really really fascinating.
Speaker 1: It'd be kind of fun to try, Yeah, especially if there's paths and we could use something that's not our legs, like a motorcycle.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, and like the number of circles around the center of the spiral, that's how the distance.
Speaker 1: That kind of represents like how high up or something.
Speaker 2: Or how far? Yeah, how far? And you can go if you go up and it's clock UIs and that's up and the other way then it's down. So yeah, and it doesn't mean like going spirals down. It means go down and then you're gonna head off this direction and at the point where the dot is you can expect to find something else.
Speaker 1: Crazy. It's like a treasure map kind.
Speaker 2: Of, but there's no The treasure is the information on the panel at the end. Yeah, so this, I mean when I started doing this, I wanted to find more. I think I'm going to try to find it and buy this book. It's called The Rocks Begin to Speak, and there are first edition, second edition, I think a third edition, but anyway, you can find it on Amazon. They're a little bit pricey because there are not tons of them in print, but if you want to find it, it's called The Rocks Begin to Speak.
Speaker 1: It's called Spank Spanky Rocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's called The Rocks Again to Spank Bottom, The Rocks Begin to Speak. Anyway, it details his journey and his life is fat. You can get online google him. You'll find all kinds of information. He had a fascinating life. You know, I don't know how much deeper we want to go into this, because we're getting to the point now we're starting to to scratch the surface on what some of the possibilities, right, Yeah, totally good petroglyph, petri pictographs for pain, and pick your.
Speaker 4: Grap rock scratch, rock scratch, Yeah, okay, pe Yes, we're gonna start talking about not only the communication of a very elaborate iconographic system, idea, ideological, or what.
Speaker 2: There's another word.
Speaker 1: There. It's weird.
Speaker 2: All these things kind of sound the same. We're not scientists, so we don't use them every day. You got ideograms, ideographic, iconic, iconography, you got all these words that kind of mean the same thing. And when you discover that this stuff is kind of that stuff, it starts getting kind of exciting, and then you start throwing in some other things we know about these Native American tribes and their mythologies and their religions, and then we're starting to get into something that's a little bit deeper, and some of these iconographic idiograms are representative of their religious and mystical belief systems that include all of these very strange things. And that's where we're going to go on the next episode. We're gonna go down that rabbit hole, and that's gonna be really fun. I mean, this is fun. Who'd have thought, thinking about stupid rocks out in the field that you would start, you know, unraveling a mystery. It's like you're unwrapping these ideas and concepts that you never even knew were there, and you maybe have even seen a around all over the place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's say you come up with a really visual system and you just kind of look at a petroglyph.
Speaker 2: Petrick, griff, petro glyph.
Speaker 1: Glyph, glyph. I had it right. I don't know why I want to say griff.
Speaker 2: Remember petro rock, petrick, Peter small rock, and glyph meaning to scratch at your chi.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I would never be like, oh, I'm just glyphing.
Speaker 2: But we're glyphing in this podcast.
Speaker 1: Let's just say you take like a very visual a system to look at petroc glyphs.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you just walk up to.
Speaker 1: It, You look at a specific thing and then that representation, you know, whatever that makes you kind of think of first. Is your translation right? It would probably be if you went that route, you didn't really have a system as much as you just went with your first instinct, you'd probably be pretty close to what they were thinking. Yeah, you know, let's say you see a four legged stick figure with sticks coming out of its head, dear elk Moose. I don't know what else you'd think of it. As you know, you're not gonna say a guy on all fours with sticks tied to his four That doesn't make any sense. So you're kind of you're gonna make these leaps. And if you were to just go to these places look at these things like in the future. I've seen some of these petroglyphs that are on some of these rocks that we're gonna talk about later, and I'm like, if you just go with the first thing that comes to your head after seeing y, it's going to be you're gonna be messed up.
Speaker 2: It's true, it's well. And here's another thing, you know, kind of down that line. Because we're in a Western culture, we read from left to right mm hmm. So when we see an image, we naturally go from left to right. Now, if you're in some Eastern culture, you go right.
Speaker 1: To left, top to bottom.
Speaker 2: So what do you do in a Native American culture of two three four thousand years ago?
Speaker 1: Whatever feels right.
Speaker 2: And that's really close because there is no specific way to read it. You read the hole.
Speaker 1: That's like I was saying, it's not linear it's not linear. It can't be linear, and there are.
Speaker 2: Clumps of information, and maybe the more dense the clumps are the more important waiting factors of that image. So it's very fascinating and I don't know. We're going to get in more detail on this stuff, and we're going to do more research over the next couple of weeks to try to make sure we're you know, we're trying to be accurate, and some of this stuff is definitely debatable, and like we said anything, but I hope you will continue to join us in this journey and maybe we're doing some legwork that you don't have the time or desire to necessarily do, but still have an itch to know, and hopefully we'll be able to scratch a few of your itches.
Speaker 1: I don't want to scratch anybody thatches with this toilet paper going on.
Speaker 2: This is true and not with literal fingers. Oh yeah, okay, yeah, we're gonna s.
Speaker 1: So you're saying scratching somebody's itch would kind of be like a representation of what we plan on doing, like an idiot greet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I could draw a f you're scratching. So yeah, so there you go.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Yeah, I feel embarrassed saying.
Speaker 2: That I kind of do. I feel dirty.
Speaker 1: I feel dirty.
Speaker 2: I feel dirty.
Speaker 1: You need to wash my hands.
Speaker 2: I need to go shower. I haven't charred for like a day and a half.
Speaker 1: Gross, I know I can tell you I got this new soap Cypress and cedar.
Speaker 2: Oh is that that man soap stuff?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I want to squatch squatch tell him the sad news.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, do it.
Speaker 1: In a a visual, so like, make make pictures with the words.
Speaker 2: I won't mean you okay, So imagine in your mind Sadsquatch walking in the woods, and then all of a sudden, a giant circle enveloped said Scotsquatch clash question Scotch watch big fund, and then out of nowhere, a line strikes forth through said sasquatch, a giant knots clusters, which means Squatch Con twenty twenty in boise Ido has been canceled this year.
Speaker 1: I would do Sasquatch crying one single tear, like I hate it when people litter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And he's got a coronavirus mascot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we gotta combine everything good.
Speaker 1: Sasquatch is sad, sad Squatch because sad squatch that looks like a teacher. Sasquatch is sad because coronavirus cancel.
Speaker 2: That's call it sasquatch and a mask with the tears, and we'll call it sad squatch. But yes, Squatch Con twenty twenty has been canceled in boise Ido. We were looking forward to being there this year and we were gonna have some merch that we were gonna like sell and give away and and just talk to people about weird, strange things. And it's not gonna happen this year, but it'll happen next year.
Speaker 1: It will happen, and that'll give us time to kind of get our prepare duck in a row to paint a picture for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, ducks in a row.
Speaker 1: This topic of rocks is boring his heck okay, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: If you if you were just talking about rock, ye okay.
Speaker 1: So people are like, oh, I'm going to watch a Discovery Channel episode about rocks with scratches on them. That's I wouldn't watch that, what if they had rock? I'm just telling you sure, I'm in charge here.
Speaker 2: How about an icon of Bigfoot on a.
Speaker 4: Rock because there you're if you're just backing up, I'm drinking my beer while you talk.
Speaker 1: Go yeah, I think you're seriously making that in the way. But if you were to, if you were to, I can't think with that awful rackets.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got three drinks. That's all I needed.
Speaker 1: Go okay. So the whole idea of like studying the rocks with scratches on them is not super entertaining to most people, right.
Speaker 2: I can't understand how that's a possibility.
Speaker 1: But go on, if you were like, you know, here, we have a rock with three scratches. Nobody's gonna watch that Discovery Channel episode. But if you were to give them a teaser and you use your words to represent what might be down the line on your rock, you paint you scratched me a rock with your words. I'm a rock scratcher of what might be dwelling in the future of our petroglyph endeavor.
Speaker 2: So you're asking me to use words to describe what we might be talking about in the future in a way that's not phonetically driven but more visually driven.
Speaker 1: Don't don't worry about being linear, but maybe just go all like a visual get rid of your western mind and just embrace the Eastern mindset.
Speaker 2: I was visualizing something to like hook people to come back and listen to our next episode. I would see giant pedagraphic elements and strange looking creatures appearing to descend from the nether regions high above or potentially through portals. Is that what you were thinking of?
Speaker 3: Was?
Speaker 1: I was in there.
Speaker 2: I was in the zone and my eyes closed, I was thinking about it. I was totally seen it in my head.
Speaker 1: Anyway, your voice and your eyes closed, change your pleasant smile, of tranquility of body experience.
Speaker 2: I did kind of feel euphoria.
Speaker 1: He took a rip off some baote. He was just up in the another regions.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Yes, there are fun things coming, and we're going to go into some strange lands with this. And you know what's really weird about it is we're going to go places where we've kind of already touched on before.
Speaker 1: We've already touched those places.
Speaker 2: We scratched that itch. Okay, we must stop. It's getting late. We've had a couple to drink, and now it's time to go to bed. But anyway, I wanted to just say thank you for those that have been patronizing us by listening to our podcast, please continue to do so, and you know, share us if you like us at all, you know, go ahead and share us to your friends, and we'll try to keep it light hearted. We're trying to be open. We don't want to be We don't want to be those people that have, like you know, secret knowledge that we're to keep away and that people have to have a special extra equtions to.
Speaker 1: Good word to describe us as.
Speaker 2: Goobers goobers, but we're but we're honest, open goobers.
Speaker 1: I think goobers are too hon us sometimes maybe.
Speaker 2: And that might hurt us in the long run. But just enjoy the ride, yep, and hopefully we'll be taking you with us on strange adventures in the near future. We've got the new ramp for the box van and the motorcycles can now be loaded. I think we need to add a couple tie down straps and that's about it, and we're going to be out looking at a couple of these locations. A few of the locations if you want to do a little research, look at the Bennett Hills in southern Idaho around Gooding. There are a lot of Petrocliffs over there, and it's a fascinating place. You can look at the other spot that we said, what did I call that? It's a weird I want to say Warby's, but it's not.
Speaker 1: Warbies can't come into the wet today.
Speaker 2: The case of the web, it's weeze Bar, not Warbes. Weez Bar it is and it's it's just this place sitting out the middle of nowhere by an old farmstead that has these rocks in the middle of this field that have petroglyphs carved all over them.
Speaker 1: Where is that?
Speaker 2: Roughly it's about three two or three miles east along the Snake River from Celebration Point, which is about five miles east of map Rock on map Rock Road.
Speaker 1: Which is roughly thirty five feet from Scary Rattlesnake Bush.
Speaker 2: Yes, Scary Rattlesnake Bush. We're going to do an iconographic kind of idiogram on a rock to celebrate our encounter with the Great Rattlesnake, the Great Snake. I can't do it very good. Yeah, that's way better. But that was a weird thing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget.
Speaker 1: About myself for that one.
Speaker 2: That was good. That's one of those things that's scary enough that kind of you won't forget it.
Speaker 1: I should have shot it. Okay, there's no reason to leave a poisonous snake in an area that kids will be playing her They gophers, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Gophers spread disease. It did kind of terrify me because if some little kid, two year old running out there playing with the.
Speaker 1: Rock and daddy I just pictured my kid instead of you. Yeah, he wouldn't have seen it. He'd have ran right through it and probably been snack.
Speaker 2: And that's the danger of that kind of stuff. I mean, yeah, be careful. Maybe you should wear pants. We didn't.
Speaker 1: We were just freaking full Native American tribal loincloth in it. No pants at all.
Speaker 2: I wasn't wearing a loincloth. I had Calvin kleins. Okay, that's bad.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: On that note, on that image, let's go ahead and close this thing out. Anything else we want.
Speaker 1: To say, don't forget Sheriffs to sheriff.
Speaker 2: Likeus, like us.
Speaker 1: That's time.
Speaker 2: I was watching you know, the psych Yes, like Sherifface and likeas like liking, and he was talking about he was talking about the Bible, and he was talking about Genesis, do the right thing. That's so awesome. I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: I laughed, So I think the whole phrase is Samson, ordinary dwarf in mouth who must find his way back to Wolverhampton. And then Gus is like, no, Sampson, the legendary figure from the Bible. You read a Bible, Sean, and then he's like, I do read the Bible. Genesis, Exorcist, Leviathan, do the right thing. That's a good.
Speaker 2: If you guys want to watch a fun show and you haven't seen it before, what psych Yeah, I mean there as it is really good. They just don't have its. Okay, that's enough of this stuff.
Speaker 1: Let's get out. Like us on Facebook and Instagram, Twitter, follow us, do the do the things you do with social media.
Speaker 2: And we're also on I started, I should say, we started a new group page on Facebook where you can share your strange things that you run.
Speaker 1: Into to America, you guys, get it. And then and then Stitcher, iTunes.
Speaker 2: Cast, bodcast box, Google play, iTunes, all right, podcast whatever that.
Speaker 1: Is, all all of those formats on all of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like us, follow it.
Speaker 1: And rate us, Yeah, give us reviews. We want going to hear those things. If it's a zero star review, you can't do that. Yeah, but they give us five because if you go all the way to the end, there's probably a zero. So just give us five. Yeah, yeah, give us five, and then leave a really bad comment and then you do the drama a picture.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, get online, and also you know, follow us on Facebook. I mean, it's something that you can do, and we put information on there. And also our website, a strange thing dot com. We've got a blog there. I don't know if you noticed. I don't go there, try to update the blog. I do all the work on this. You come over, drink beer and talk into a microfile. That's why they pay them. I should give you moderation control over some of it, and like delegate some of the responsibility.
Speaker 1: You could, but you'd be let down significantly every single time.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: All right, well that happy note, Austin. Since you're such a contributor, why don't you go ahead and close us out?
Speaker 1: Hmm, So join us next time for some cold drinks and some strange conversation.
Speaker 2: Bye guys.
Speaker 3: Hm hm hm m m m m m m m