Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 3: Two nothing, It's alva not so fast co hole breath with Don Taylor. I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 1: And Rick Dolly Wall I had a cherry tree up a little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and bunch on New Cherry Years.
Speaker 3: Donnie and Dolly ten o'clock, Downtown Vancouver. Thanks for tuning in, folks. When the Paul Carson Studio, it's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dolly Wall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man that the controls are directed. The voice of God is Derek Won. How are you host of weekend?
Speaker 1: Oh, Sonny good? I need some heat, but a little coalking about, don it's still cold a little bit.
Speaker 3: The mornings are still a little bit cold. Let's be honest here. The weekend did not start off well. On Friday. We lost our friend, everyone's friend in the hockey community, Ernie Punch McLean at the age of ninety three. We felt honored. We attended a get together for Ernie's ninety third birthday not that long ago at Woody's in New Westminster, and we gave him a sports page hat, one of the Donnie and Dolly check TV sports page hats. I didn't know this, but Ernie wore this hat all over the place, all over the place. Okay, So he calls me frantically, I don't know. A month or two ago, Donnie was I was at a kind of game and I lost a hat. It was over a month ago. Obviously, he launched the sports paychat. You got to get me another one, and so you know, I'm like, no problem, I'll come up with one, and never got it to him. So here you go. There's the sports Paychat. We're going to put it out front of our desk today for the show and maybe for a long long time. It's in honor of Ernie Punch McLean, who leaves us at the age of ninety three. Single vehicle accident up North near D's Lake, which is really up north. We talk about Dawson Creek at Ford's h it's well past that. Yeah, single car accident. Ernie was checking in on his mine up there in the Atlan area. I believe that's where he was headed and he loses his life at age ninety three. And the hard part to take is that he just looked so with a lot of hard things to take here, he looked so healthy. On Wednesday, there was a press conference with all his newest Minster Bruns friends and his friends from the hockey community. Bill Ranford was there and Patrick Singh is good buddy, Terry Richardson, all sorts of news Bruins alumni were there, Steve Clippendale and everything seemed to be final. It was they're trying to get a statue erected. We talked about last week, a statue erected of Ernie Punch McClain outside of Queen's Park Arena. They started the drive farhand hosted that event and that within forty eight hours later he's passed away. It makes me feel worse about not getting him the hat, but God bless them. We'll talk more about Ernie McClain later on. We managed to hook up with Stan Smiel, who played four seasons with Punch McClain for the Newest Bruins for w HL it's called the w SHL back then Western Canada Hockey League back then for WCHL titles in the seventies two Memorial Cup title. Stan was there for all of that. Of course, now with the Canucks legend, Newest Bruins legend, he's hiking in Portugal, but Stan was kind enough to join us to talk about Ernie and we'll air that interview in our second segment. God Bless Ernie, Punch p Clan. We'll talk more about Ernie as the show alls on Tough Transition. We're going to make it here. The Canucks GM search Rick. Tuesday, they after they infamously dropped in the NHL Draft lottery, Jim Rutherford met with the media and said the Canucks would have an announcement to make regarding their front office regarding a new GM to replace Patrick Alvin this week. What's the latest we're hearing about and you talked about this on Friday when I wasn't here. We're hearing that it's down to two, Evan Gold and current Canucks assistant GM abbots Ford GM Ryan Johnson. Evan Gold from the Boston Bris where are we all right?
Speaker 1: As of this morning, the Canucks have not selected a winner. Johnson or Gold would not surprise anybody if they picked their new GM today. Start negotiating, maybe announce it tomorrow. Most people feel that Jim Rutherford is pushing for Johnson. Most people feel that the ownership could be leaning towards the fresh face. Donnie, you have fresh ideas. Time, time to get some new eyes. Evan Gold, Evan Gold, and back to respect. So you're agreeing with the don I'm not agreeing with anybody. This is this Evan Gold, right, this is Evan Gold. A good young guy. No, a good young guy.
Speaker 3: Well, you know it's not Ryan Johnson.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good hair, the hairs. He's got to work on the hair. No, it even got killed for that hair, Donnie.
Speaker 3: Are you serious?
Speaker 1: Look at it. It's all to the look at mine. It's going right to left. It shouldn't go right to live. He needs gel. Anyways, Gold really impressed in his interviews, Like Donnie, it is so hard to handicap this. One minute, I talked to someone who says this Johnson. Next second I talk to someone says it's Gold. It's fifty to fifty right now. I don't know how they're gonna pick this. Like I have to tell you. Don I get off the phone with one guy and I feel comfortable it's Gold. Did I get off the phone with somebody else? And then I'm thinking, Okay, it's going to be Johnson. Is there a loyalty factor here? If there is a loyalty factor here, then it's Johnson spending your thirteen years. If you want the new fresh guy that impressed the hell out of you in interviews, it's Gold.
Speaker 3: But how did Ryan Johnson do an interviews? Well? I mean they know him what.
Speaker 1: They know him inside out? What could Ryan Johnson tell him in interviews that they didn't already know He's spent here thirteen years? Like what could you? And this is what I believe hurts Ryan Johnson is these new guys come in with fresh ideas and fresh visions and fresh plans, and all of a sudden, ownership's going.
Speaker 3: So did Jim Benning and Patrick Alvin?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well absolutely, it's really hard to have the cap right now, Gold or Johnson. I'm hearing both ways. I'm hearing fifty to fifty right now. It's gonna be a tough call.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this, is there a chance they get both? They hire Evan Gold away from Boston but keep Ryan Johnson.
Speaker 1: I can't see it. I don't see a world where they're both here. Okay, Gold is not leaving Boston as an assistant GM to become an assistant GM in Vancouver. There's no way Ryan Johnson isn't.
Speaker 3: We're looking at now right longside of Evan Gold.
Speaker 1: Would Ryan Johnson work under Gold? I don't think so, you know. And then last time I checked, the Nashville job still open. It's still open. And last time I checked, Ryan Johnson lives in Nashville in the offseason.
Speaker 3: Well that's interesting. Yeah, And it is strange that Nashville has not not only not named anybody, but you just don't hear anything out of there. And I mean the hockey world say they're waiting on somebody, That's where I'm going.
Speaker 1: Are they waiting on Ryan Johnson? I did hear just more a little bit more Ryan Johnson this weekend than Evan Gold. But we'll see, we'll see if there's a loyalty factor that gets him over the top.
Speaker 3: Okay, So meanwhile, you've got this, if you want to call it battle between Ryan Johnson and Evan gold as Canuck's new general manager. What about Daniel and Hendrick Sedeen who've worked, as people know, the last several years and when you look at what's happened with Abbotsford done a very good job in player development. Are they getting promoted? Well?
Speaker 1: You and I talked yesterday at two o'clock in the afternoon. What did I tell you?
Speaker 3: I can't remember. There's a million.
Speaker 1: I told you to keep an eye on the Sadeen Twins. I told you yesterday. I said, Donnie, keeping one on the Sadeen Twins. There's something's going on there. What you called about something else? I think we were calling about. What did you know, Ernie? Yeah, you were calling about a punch or beloved friend.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: The Sadin Twins were asked a while back if they would like expanded roles. They have said yes. I don't know the Sadeen Twins' title other than they're going they're expected to be more involved. The Twins live and breathe Canucks. Who better to lead them out of this messed on? But if they can't go on the ice anymore, that affects coaching staffs in Vancouver and abspert. If it affects the prospects in Abspert, it affects everything.
Speaker 3: And maybe that's more of what they want, right less responsibility, not that they want to shy away from responsibility.
Speaker 1: But sorry, Beck, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 3: But but are we talking about them being and this is going to be the focus of our poll question co presidents of Canucks hockey operations. I think that might they would be able to sell that.
Speaker 1: I would think they could sell it. I do wonder if the Twins were in the Evan Gold second interview, which was in Vancouver. They know Johnson inside out, they've worked with him, an expert, but they don't know anything about Gold. So but here's my thing to you, don And we went through this with Trevor Linden, and here we go again. The twins are Hall of famers who have a sparkling reputation in the city of Vancouver. Just like Trevor Linden. I hope they're prepared for everything that comes, good and bad with being hockey decision makers in a crazy hockey market like Vancouver. Did the Twins phone Linden and ask him what it is to work with this owner? Will they get the autonomy that they think they will that they will get, will they get the power to make the decisions. Lindon was fired because he asked for a rebuild. These two guys did did did the toys?
Speaker 3: They don't have to ask for one.
Speaker 1: Okay, they're in the middle. Well they're they're starting one. Yeah, but Donnie, I hope they did their homework on two fronts.
Speaker 3: If this is indeed true, it is true.
Speaker 1: They did say yes on the weekend to two upper rolls, higher roles.
Speaker 3: We don't know the exact title. Don't the title, but a strange title that Matt Sandeen has with the leafs. Yeah, that's a strange special advisor to the Traveling Secretary.
Speaker 1: I've just been told they're going to be more involved. Okay, down, I hope they did their homework.
Speaker 3: Are you worried about their legacy?
Speaker 5: Le?
Speaker 3: Look, see, my thing is if people talk about Trevor Linden's legacy, I don't think it was affected at all. Well, I think he's still revered here in Vancouver because most people look at the situation with Trevor Linden knowing what they know, and go. They don't blame Trevor for leaving at all. I don't think so, because things were a mess higher up, and I don't think I think whatever, we have a Trevor Linden interview on this show. Whenever you see him in a public situation where there might be applause or jeers, and it's always still beloved here. People don't blame Trevor for that situation. And I think given what people know, they would be much the same for the Sadeen if they were to I don't think we shouldn't jump this far ahead, but if they were to take this job and things go and take a left turn and they end up leaving, I don't think it affect their legacy at all. They're fabulous people on and off the ice.
Speaker 1: I hope they do their homework. I hope they asked Linden. I hope they did their research, because we all know one bad move as president, one bad trade, one bad signing, one bad draft pick, and it's all right.
Speaker 3: Well one people can accept a multiple.
Speaker 1: Maybe not, And Linden got a lot of heat for some of his decisions, and I hope they're prepared for that.
Speaker 3: Well. They're very intelligent people that they would be completely prepared for that they care about the connection. I think that, you know, would they be able to sell the sedens with Evan Gold, Would they be able to sell the sedeens with Ryan Johnson? I think the answer with Johnson is definitely yes. We don't know enough about Evan Gold and apparently comes across really well publicly. We'll see a little bit more on Evan Gold. He's Canadian U of T grad started out with the Washington Capitals selling ticket packages, yes word, his way up scouting analytics, all sorts of all sorts of different areas of the Capitals organization. Spent multiple years there, went on to the Boston Bruins and obviously built up a whole lot of respect. The other angle with them. You're laughing at these two pictures.
Speaker 1: Ryan's got the hair, dude that I think is look at the superior hair he's If you base this on hair, Johnson is the new GM of the Canucks.
Speaker 3: You know what, I won't be surprised if they do.
Speaker 1: Based on these two pictures. If you go with hair, Ryan Johnson's the new GM of the Canucks. Okay, but we're not doing that. Aside.
Speaker 3: The other thing we're hearing is that if Evan Gold were to come here. He's an assistant GM now with the Boston Bruins. Jamie langan Merner is also an assistant GM with the Boston Bruins. And we're hearing a whisper is that if Evan Gold were to get this job, Jamie Langmmerner would come to Vancouver with him.
Speaker 1: You got that right, Yes, you do have that right. And there's another guy in Boston. I think he's the not the CAP guy, the analytics analytics guy. I think the analytics guys.
Speaker 3: What's the name of the analytics do what you think?
Speaker 1: I know the analytics guy's name in Boston. I don't know this stuff. I just know that he I think gets Golinski or something. But anyways, something like that.
Speaker 3: Can you look up Golinski Boston Bruins and just I think it's something like I don't know either. So what am I talking about?
Speaker 1: And by the way, and this is a big week coming up for the Canucks. I expect them to name their gams soon. Scouting meetings started this morning at Rogers Arena. Things are happening. I think by the end of this week we're going to get a lot more clarity on the overall picture.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, we were told that last week. But your mother, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, I would hope.
Speaker 5: So do you mean Jeremy Rogals.
Speaker 1: That's the guy close I was in the neighborhood.
Speaker 5: He's the director of Hockey Analytics. That guy, that guy aka Nerd, Well, well, that's okay, that's okay to have nerds.
Speaker 3: I mean he said that with poisoned in your voice. The worst thing in the world.
Speaker 1: One of the best movies at the eighties, Revenge of the Nerds, Revenge of the Nerds.
Speaker 5: How would you know, I've seen Revenge of the Nerds.
Speaker 1: Hold it a second. You haven't seen You haven't seen slap Shop, Revenge of the Nerds.
Speaker 5: I've seen Revenge of the Nerds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Revenge of the Nerds was a great movie.
Speaker 3: That's a great movie.
Speaker 1: Moneyball, Yeah, analytics analytics that started all the analytics staff.
Speaker 3: Who is the main actor.
Speaker 5: Of Revenge of the Nerds just passed away not longer.
Speaker 1: What's his name? Don you know his name?
Speaker 3: Jeremy Bragolski, Robert car that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Revenge of the Nerds was great movie. No, it seriously was.
Speaker 3: It was canucks Hire. This guy they end up winning the Stanley Cup Revenge of the Nerds.
Speaker 1: Robert Kennedy, he just said that kung Fu guy he was in David Carrod, is that his brother?
Speaker 3: I don't know chardy family is. There's there's a lot of branches of it in Hollywood.
Speaker 5: He was also infamously Henry Duff's dad on Lizzie Maguire.
Speaker 1: Okay, he looks like his brother in kung Fu.
Speaker 3: Kung Fu is great, Grasshop We couldn't couldn't miss it, Mumber Grasshopper.
Speaker 5: Two brothers looked alike.
Speaker 1: Just stop it.
Speaker 3: Mind.
Speaker 1: We don't know their brothers, but they do lose their hair.
Speaker 3: I guess nothing great.
Speaker 1: Evan, He's uh, here's here's okay, here, Here's what's coming up on the show.
Speaker 3: DTMZ. Is it just me? I've got a revelation for DTMZ by the way, that I will announce either today or tomorrow sometimes this week. DTMs look forward to that. DTMZ, Is it just me? Coming up in the eleven o'clock hour, Elliott Friedman is going to join us just after all of it. O'clock man, I could I could just watch games from the Bell Center on a loop. I know, Elliott was in Buffalo. He didn't make the trip to Montreal for the game Game three, but man, that that building is just so special. Buffalo is not bad either. That series is something else. Okay, big Rye, we'll talk to Elliott about that, Big Ryan and what he knows about the Kin situation. Big Rye the Twitter guy coming up later this hour and up next. We talked about it earlier in this segment. He's hiking in Portugal and he's made time for us today from the Canucks. Canucks legend Stan Smiel who played four years under the late great Ernie Punch McLain Steamer. He's next. Thanks for tuning in, folks, Hope you had a great weekend. Donnie Dolly the team one check.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly. The team is supported by Abelauntions dotz A. Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a.
Speaker 1: Timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot CA, do's sales at ab l E Auctions dot Ca Monday and all of our guests today, including stand Smeal Standing Buyer sponsored by Pissont Motors. Bright Deals embedded drives are ahead at Pissont Motors Hit the Road with huge savings going forward. Stop buy their dealership located at one sixty three one five Fraser Highway in Surrey, or check them out online at Pisonmotors dot com. Conduction Ambassador. Stand Smeel is going to join us now thirteen seasons with the actually his number twelve hangs from the Rafters and Rogers Arena before the thirteen seasons, but the Canucks four seasons with the new West Ruins four Western Hockey League. It was called the WHL back Band titles Memorial Cup titles in nineteen seventy seven and seventy eight, all with Ernie Punch McLain behind the bench, Punch leaving us Friday at the age of ninety three, and Stan joins us now. Stan, thanks for doing this, sir, How are you? I'm well, guys, your reaction of Punch is passing.
Speaker 6: Very sad. He was a close fatherly figure to me. Not just to me, I think to all the players that played for Punch. We knew that at his age he was strong as ever, coming to all our games here at the Call or at to Arena, not missing the game. Players were always texting or asking me if I see Punch during the season, and he was always there. And uh, then we lost a dear friend, a great coach, but more so just a good person.
Speaker 4: And both of you guys know this is he was quite the character.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, with that in mind, Stan, going back to the seventies, a kid from Saint Paul, Alberta. And what was it like heading to suburban Vancouver and meeting Punch McLean for the first time?
Speaker 4: You know when I the first I met him was.
Speaker 6: And I don't know if they had two training camps, I can't remember, but Punch and Bill Shinski had a training camp in Westlock, Alberta, which isn't far from me, and I was able to go and there were there were like I think eighty players at the camp and uh, we're all put up in the dorm and uh and proceeded with with practices and uh evaluations and then scrimmages that night. So that was the first time I met Punch and a couple of players that played with New West, the Milt Domosak and Bob Hess both sort of recomedded me to to to Arny about inviting me to the camp, and so I was just said, came up and said, you're the kid from Northern Alberta and here we go.
Speaker 3: What was his gift as a coach? Then?
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 6: The gift as a coach is that he knew what it took to win. Intimidation was a big part of the game back then. But he knew you had to have individuals the skill to score. And I think what he did the best, and I think he got the best out of what you could bring as a player, and he knew how important that was to be successful. He had a variety of players, but he could bring that out in you and I think that was the trait that.
Speaker 4: Made us as an organization being so successful.
Speaker 1: Stan I used to tell Punch all the time, you got to write a book. You got to write a book, you know. I think he was working on chapter four with Barry Beck is what he told me last time. Talk about Queen's Park and how wonderful it was, and people say it was cater made for Punch and his teams. Just go back to Queen's for me and just tell me how great those years were there.
Speaker 4: First of all, Dolly, I totally agree.
Speaker 6: Every time I saw a Punch, and I saw him a lot during the winter, at least once a month, I would say to him, Punch, that he started your book, and he always kind of giggled and laughed and said he had started it. And I don't know where he got with it, but definitely I think in the Lower Mainland it'd be a good read, I know for a lot of people. And that Queen's Park arena. Just walking into that building, even walking into now just how small it was. The ice surface was small. The fans were raided on top of you. I think it was the north end where the Zamboni came out.
Speaker 4: There was the rowdy.
Speaker 6: Crowd, but you had such a variety of fan base in there, and when you had four thousand people in it, it was noisy. And I think Punch was able to get the right mixt year a team to make an exciting game and an intimidating part of the game in that building because every player that I played against has a story coming into.
Speaker 4: That building where.
Speaker 6: You know, they would drive up in the bus and the guy would turn off the bus and the bus would still be shaken for some reason.
Speaker 4: And that was just all the other players coming into Queens Park. And that's what it was like.
Speaker 6: And Ernie knew that and he used it the right way. But also he knew as much as we talk about the intimidation and the new Westminster Bruins, he had to score to win at the end of the day, and we had that skill to do that.
Speaker 1: Stan, you know better than anyone else. Not all kids go from junior to the NHL. You did, What did he do for your game personally? Stan?
Speaker 4: The one thing he did for me personally was.
Speaker 6: And he talked about it a lot with the players on a regular basis throughout the season.
Speaker 4: You just don't play when you feel good. You got to be able to bring your game.
Speaker 6: And then it was seventy games I think at that time, and you got to bring that every night. And I think that's one of the things I learned as a player, and I was able to do that as a player. If I look back in my career, maybe junior or pro that consistently you knew what you were going to get from me, and that effort was there every night. And I think that's the biggest thing. Punch kept drilling into players and making the players be the players that can be, but on a consistent basis. And I think for myself personally, that's the biggest thing I learned from Punch.
Speaker 1: Stan just it's not been a good few weeks. Jim Robson, John Garrett, now Punch. It's just three legends just gone in a matter of weeks. It's been a really tough time in Vancouver.
Speaker 4: It really has.
Speaker 6: And the three that you mentioned are all a big part of my career. And and I got to know really, really well Jim Robson. What can you say? And I think I'll talk to you guys about Jim Robson when you get passed. He drove to my hometown in the middle of the summer just to see where I came from.
Speaker 4: Wow, But that's the individual he was.
Speaker 6: John Garrett, you know, total probe as a player and as a broadcaster, but just a great individual. And and now Punch. If I guess you take a look at all three of them, they are all great men, and we're going to miss him.
Speaker 3: I don't think I ever saw any of the three of them in a bad mood. One more, stand if you if you don't mind, and I know that he wanted this, how do you think Punch would have done at the NHL level?
Speaker 4: And he that's ah, that's a great question.
Speaker 6: And I might be biased because I played for him, but just the little things that we talked about here briefly this morning. He knew what it took to win, He knew skill, he knew character because he was a character himself, and he could get the best out of players in a not on not on a a yelling basis, on a man to man what it takes to win, and he could do that. So I think my answer is and I wish he would have had the opportunity because I think he would have been very successful during that time.
Speaker 3: Stam, we can't thank you enough for doing this, especially considering where you are. For people that don't know you're hiking in Portugal. Take care of that body. Stand and again, we can't thank you enough.
Speaker 7: Thank you for having me you guys, it was a sad weekend, but on the hike, I spent a couple of good days that thinking Punch, and then at the end of the hikes, add a couple of nice cold glasses of beer for you.
Speaker 3: Perfect. Thanks Dan, all the best, Thank you, Stan Smiel, Thank every Cannuck's legend, Us Bruins, the legend talking about the late great Ernie Punch. McLean. Let me go back to that last question there. I'm this is nineteen eighty four, and I grew up high school going to these games at Queens Park Arena watching the newest Bruins. Yes, in the set, the Conducks kinds just entered the NHL, they finally got an NHL franchising. And I know I've talked about this before on the show, but the Bruins were I know, the capacity was a lot less at Queens Park Arena, way less, but they were so popular. I don't think I wouldn't say they competed necessarily with the Canducks, but they were popular and very, very successful. So going to those games was as big a deal as going to an NHL game, even though the Canucks just had entered the National Hockey League. They were so Yeah, years go by, It's nineteen eighty four and the Canucks hire this upstart and who's also left us? Bill of Forge all sorts of success in junior hockey with kamloops, et cetera, overlooking Ernie Punch McLean. And I'm a young kid. I'm in the press box at the coliseum and who sits down beside me, Ernie Punch mcla. I think, and I revered the guy. He was afraid of him, you know, because those teams were tough, and Ernie was tough. And and here I am, this young reporter and he tells me he was You know what, Donnie, I wish they would have given me a shot he wanted. I would love to have had a shot. Nothing against Bill LaForge, but I think that hiring of Ernie Punch mcleaned what would have went over much better than Bill LaForge, Bill the Forge. On the last of twenty year Games, we all remember the pride, hustle, desire, the infamous training camp over on Vancouver Island. Things didn't work out, and I think Harry Neil had to take over again as as coach. He was he was the GM at the time, but they passed on Punch McLean and and Punch. Let's be honest, here stand talked about it there at a controversial style. Those teams were tough. They were the Philadelphia Flyers of junior hockey. It wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but man, they won. They were successful. And you heard Stan talk. He thinks Ernie would have done just fine at the NHL level, and he wanted that job and he didn't get it. Not nothing against anybody. There's a part of me that maybe understands that that the decision. But I know he really wanted it, and I think everybody in this market would have loved to have seen it. He would have. He would have been a good fit the.
Speaker 1: Bench clearing brawls with Portland and Queens Park Arena. Donny, I think the cops got called one night, you know, no, they did. What are you talking about.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, the cops got.
Speaker 1: Called one night and he was throwing garbage.
Speaker 3: It was just one night. You know.
Speaker 1: Punch was a he was a friend of ours. He would call here, talk to me for half an hour, and then I'd say he talk to Donnie, Donnie, talk to Rick. He loved us, We loved him. He was a big part of Vancouver and no other team will go to Four Street Memorial Cups. You know, junior hockey's like kids, you're leaving. It s such a big turnover, right, it's a turnover. Now, No one's going to do what he did. He put over one hundred guys in the NHL. Let's get the statue outside Queen's Park done.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to go a step further here, and nothing against Tom Maynecton Jason Beck at the BC Sports Hall of Fame, and he normally somebody has to be nominated to get into the BC Sports Hall of Fame. Yes, Ernie McClain is not in the Hall of Fame. I think that you make an exception here, ninety three years old and he just and you keep in mind too, he had two stints as head coach and went back in the eighties coach people like Bill Ranford. There's just there's just a lot there. He should be in the BC Sports Hall of Fame nomination or not again, God bless him. We'll talk more about him a little bit later. Elliott Friedman at the top of the hour. Meanwhile, we got something, got some business to do here, right, No, okay, well we'll take a break and up deck, we'll introduce the Wildling Dog Poll question. It has to do with the one of the latest developments regarding the Canucks search for a GM, a search to revamp their front office. That's next, Donnie Dolly the team Jack. Hey everyone, it's Donnia Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 1: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 3: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five to oh eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot ca. Watling Dog poll question the dog hopping these days? Oh it sound like a playoffs go around in UFC on the weekend Experience one on Victoria's iconic destinations Sleep Zip stock up all in one legendary spot the watling Dog. Come sit and stay at the dog the watling dog today, Rick, all right, right, get her up the wattling dog pop Paul question, what will your reaction.
Speaker 1: Be if the Sadines are named co presidents of the Canucks hockey ops and look at this? Eighty six percent say yes thumbs up, fourteen percent say thumbs down. What's the Sadeen Twins' greatest asset when they played was hockey sense. They bring an incredible hockey mind to everything they do, whether it's on the ice or off the ice. They were involved with Braiden Coots. They would go down to Seattle to see him play. They went to Saskatoon to see him play. They kept in touch with Braiden Coots. Braiden Coots loves the fact that he gets to tap into the two minds of Hall of famers. You know, as a Canucks prospect, these guys are smart, they're sharp. But it's a different animal. Trevor Linden found out the hard way. It's a different animal working for this owner. The media, well, they have been working for that, not as president of Hockey Ops DoD, not President's Hockey Ops. And it's a different animal. When you got to sit in the room with the owner and say I want to do this, and the owner says, no, we got to do this. Trevor Linden said, let's do a rebuild. Jim Benning said, I can fix it in two years. Who did the owner take Jim.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go against you here, okay. And you say their number one attribute is hockey sense. Yes, I think it's work ethic, work ethics. And let me give you a couple of examples of that. You mentioned them going to see Brayden Coots. As you know Canucks recent six round draft toys. Parker Alcos is a port moody kid. They're out watching him when he was playing for the Edmonton Oil Kings and the Colonna Rockets. You'd look up in the stands or they they're watching one of the press boxes there and you'd see Henrik or Daniel or both dill them apart up in the press box watching a six round draft toye just seeing how he's doing and looking at, you know, other players on the ice who might become a future Canucks. Not a lot of there's not a lot of X. There's not a lot of you know, Art Ross Trophy winners now working for NHL organizations who would do that. On top of that, let's not forget what they were like as players. When the Sedines broke into the National Hockey League. One of the complaints against them was skating, skating, So what what what did they do? They worked their asses off in the summer together and remember the shots of them. I don't know if you remember this. And we don't don't think we have it anywhere but them rollerblading up hills back home in Sweden to get stronger. There's a couple of early well one Cannock in particular, who might want to I might want to do that in the offseason as well. And what did what happened with them? And I know there were rule changes in OH five or six that helped them, but they got better skating wise. They didn't just go, hey, we're second and third overall draft picks. We've done okay so far, that's good enough. They wanted to excel and man did they ever. You know, Henry wins not just an art Ross, but he wins a heart as well. Daniel wins. Daniel wins and art Ross probably should have won a heart. I believe you won a Patrick Award. I mean, they got better at their game even though they had reached the highest level. So I mean they just that's why they played twenty years to have and they're just so smart, so likable. They can sell the game really really well. You know, their backstory is one that can be used as an example for the young players that come into this organization. And I just think work ethic as much as hockey sense really plays a part and just how well they've done. You mentioned hockey sense too. When you talk to scouts these days, you know this, they look at hockey sense as much or more than anything. Because the kids today they can all skate. It's not like before we'd have a Bobby or or a Paul Coffee, which is clearly better than everybody. They're all such good skaters. So hockey sense really any aggressiveness and there's all sorts of qualities, but hockey sens really separates players these days, maybe more than ever. And you're right that that they had it as much or more than than anybody else.
Speaker 1: Rob and Yale Town's got a good point though, who had great hockey sense? Wayne Gretzky wasn't a great coach or a GM NHL. It's a different animal the job. The job is that it's really good that the Sadeine Twins are smart hockey sense. But man, in a Canadian market, you know you got an owner that's got a history of butting in. That's one problem the media can get on you, as Patrick Alban just found out, Jim Rutherfords just found out.
Speaker 3: What are you?
Speaker 1: It's a different animal. I just hope they did their research here.
Speaker 3: You know. My going and advice to anybody who's involved with the Canucks, including ownership, is be thankful the media cares. Because there's all sorts of media all over the national hockey they don't care and other markets, you know, you should be happy they still care and there's not indifference setting in when it comes to the media. Okay, moving on, Shane Doan has left his post as advisor to the GM with the Toronto Maple Leafs. So where is he headed? Rick? Is there any chance that even though we heard he's not no longer he's anything, He's not. Those two aren't related.
Speaker 1: Shane Doan is not in the Vancouver mix. I'd be shocked if he is. He didn't get a second interview don So how could he be in the Canucks mix? Someone told me keep an eye out for Utah and Shane Doan. I think there's a what.
Speaker 3: A connection there with the coyotas the Bill Armstrong was it was in Arizona.
Speaker 1: So anyways, it's just stuff you hear, you know, talking to people, texting people, calling people, all that stuff.
Speaker 3: But Shane, his kid's a good player.
Speaker 1: You saw him last night and the Benson Kid last night from Chili Whi just before Montreal scored. You have those two chances done right right in front of the net. It could have been four to three. Instead causes all sorts of trouble. I love that kid Canucks. I'm not gonna get in well that was the Tom vift. Well, I'm not going to get into it there.
Speaker 3: I don't think a lot of people have problems with Tom Ylander. It was a position promising. Well.
Speaker 1: Lander was a positional pick no right shot d What do you do with the third picked on?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what punch McClain would like.
Speaker 1: Would like Benson, Oh, good Canadian kid?
Speaker 3: Okay? Uh some business Elliott At the top of the hour. May twelfth, the Able Auctions will sell the contents the Delta Metal Fabrication Shop. May fourteenth, Able will sell the contents of three restaurants and two grocery stores, including all inventory. For information on these auctions and others, go to able Auctions dot ca. A Able Auctions specializes in the sale of business assets and inventories. If you're considering closing your business and need everything sold, email sales at able Auctions dot ca. Sales at abl E Auctions dot ca Elliott at the top of the hour. As they just mentioned up next Big Ride Donnie Deli the team want check.
Speaker 8: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is celebrating twenty five years of making BC work sites safer. As part of that mission, the BCCSA is now on the road with the Safety on Tour, a new mobile education experience that delivers live safety demonstrations directly to your work site, school, or community. Safety on Tour offers engaging, interactive demonstrations that highlight key safety principles, whether it's the effectiveness of fall arrest systems, the advantages of safety lifting procedures, or the protection offered by helmets, safety glasses and gloves. Safety on Tour transforms safety information into memorable and actionable experiences. Book now to reserve and appearance by the Safety on Tour mobile experience. Contact the BC Construction Safety Alliance by emailing Safety on Tour at BCCSA dot c.
Speaker 3: UH. An interesting development courtesy of social media site Blue Sky. Ryan Henderson a good pal.
Speaker 5: Patrick Johnson from Post Media posting moments ago being reported elsewhere and I have it now. Sadine's moving into hockey ops roles alongside Evan Gold. He also adds on not clear what future rules for current agms Cammi Granado and Emily cast on Gay will be. The second part is interesting because Rick's hearing that Langenberner might be coming right alongside Evan Gold, and then also the director of Hockey Ops or sorry, director of Analytics might also be coming. So I wonder if that's what Pj's alluding to in terms of a GM rules.
Speaker 1: There, that's what that's the name, I said.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so it sounds as though it's gonna be well, pj's reporting it's Evan Gold. I'm not doubting PJ for a second. That's the only one that's thrown it out there that it's for sure gonna be Evan Gold. So see what happens. We got on the other course in like ten minutes.
Speaker 1: The one thing I can say, and I said it at the top of the show, ownership really liked Evan Gold. Uh oh, And I no, no, I've got a ton of agents that have told me that Donnie, they like Evan Gold to a good sharp young mind needs a hairdresser. But anyways, I'm gonna tell you right now the Ownership Ownership was pushing for Gold, and Jim Rutherford was pushing.
Speaker 3: Well, they have nail things. I'm just gonna say, Mike Gillis was good. That was That was the Aquilinis.
Speaker 5: I just I almost feel bad for Evan Gold only because his introductory press conference is gonna be littered with questions about Yeah, but what about Ryan Johnson? Yeah, but what about Ryan Johnson?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, what about it? Hey, Ryan Johnson could hand in his resignation letter twenty seconds after this, and.
Speaker 5: Who knows, maybe somehow there's a puzzle piece for him still here.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Do they not have scouting meetings going on right?
Speaker 1: Right now as of this morning, they've all they're all huddled in scouting meetings.
Speaker 3: They being or is Emily casting Gay and Cammy Grenado and Ryan Johnson.
Speaker 1: There wouldn't be in scouting meetings. But I know she's dial in contract she's more contracts. But somebody told me Patrick Alvin was at Rogers a Rena this morning, which was interesting. So I'm working on that story.
Speaker 3: Yes, do you have a bunch of U haul boxes?
Speaker 1: Stop?
Speaker 3: And Ryan, you said you said they might rehire him as gems.
Speaker 1: I did not listen. Someone told me to think of hair. Someone told me Patrick Alvin was at Rogers Rena this morning. I'm looking into it. Why would he be Maybe the scouting with Ryan. Maybe he's got a cardboard box. Maybe maybe he's in the scouting meetings. He did fly all over the globe to look at the top picks. He's got good intel. He's still property the Canucks. They they still has he been fired or not?
Speaker 3: They said, did they offered him another position in the organization. You maybe he's taken it, which would be unusual. But Jim Rutherford said last week that they're using some of his research. Of course, yeah.
Speaker 1: Some of the intel intels. So he was in Switzerland, Sweden, So he went to North Dakota, he went to Penn State. He went to the Ohl Toronto.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I.
Speaker 5: Hope, by the way, because remember we had that report Rios right that that he had heard that Alvin was telling people that he didn't think he was going to be back right before. Yes, yes, so I hope if Alvin, if Alvin knew that, like, I hope all those hotels he was empty, empty the mini bar, yeah, you know, like there's ten dollars bottle of water that if you crack that. I hope he's going nuts.
Speaker 3: A bottle of water like booze.
Speaker 5: Chips, like the Washington charging everything to your room, massage whatever.
Speaker 3: I hope he was doing that. Yeah, probably like Seinfeld's mom and dad. Yes, man, yes, yes, Macadam Elaine hooked him up.
Speaker 5: Was it the Plaza the Plaza hotel and yeah, and they were just going nuts.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they get a per dm ryot they I just can't these guys get a per deal.
Speaker 3: He's joking around.
Speaker 1: But you and I remember we went to Calgary for the Great Cup. We got a per Diem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you spent it all one night at shape Perrie.
Speaker 1: That's Montreal. You and I were in Calgary.
Speaker 3: No, no is in Calgary?
Speaker 1: Is this?
Speaker 3: What's the one among so you don't even remember? No, what's the one a Montreal we went? I'm sure there's a shape Perie at Montreal. No, the one in Montreal we got in trouble.
Speaker 5: But the one of you was called five number Orange.
Speaker 1: No, it's not the number five Orange? Are you kidding me? They got a famous one? No, they got a famous one of Are.
Speaker 3: You kidding that?
Speaker 1: There was me Moje Burns, Julio, everybody was in God.
Speaker 5: I feel bad for those women that were on that stage totally.
Speaker 1: Anyways, So anyway, this is from.
Speaker 3: Days gone by when places like that were much more popular. Oh yeah, I'm trying to get you out of trumble.
Speaker 1: Number five still number five is alive and thriving. Number five back in the eighties, Oh what a place we'd all hop in the impaula from news at downtown.
Speaker 5: What was the one you say said you were there for the food? Was that muggs and jugs? You infamously said this show.
Speaker 3: I had buffets.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but if you I'm not over the food man in the place like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they hope.
Speaker 3: They have massive sneeze guards right among other things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have food at these places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, usually Barona Beef that's been sitting there for fifty years.
Speaker 1: Baron of beef, steak, sandwich. Okay, okay, very popular.
Speaker 5: Stop right there. So we see how thinks progressed with the Canucks. We got Friedman coming up in a moment, Harby says, roast be too. Yeah, ye dude, come on now, man, it's so inside. Okay, just quickly, very quickly, the hurricanes moving on to the third round the Eastern Conference Finals.
Speaker 1: Eight.
Speaker 5: No, they sweep the Flyers. How about Philly sports back to back weekends Flyers Sixers, no show.
Speaker 3: But oh my god, fourteen But I think the fans there weren't expecting much.
Speaker 1: No, No, both sides.
Speaker 5: I think I heard Broff and rough talk about this. The two teams have very different conversations around them, Like the Flyers are at the head of something, the start of something. The Sixers or should be in something. Remember trust the process and all that they should be in something. And they just keep keep you keep underperforming. One of the best NHL Twitter councilor is the Hurricanes. Look what they posted after they won they beat the Flyers on the weekend. Do you want it with or without tears? And this photo of Philly cheese steak, which might be the most overrated food item going by the way. Philly cheese steaks.
Speaker 3: Oh, that is so wrong.
Speaker 1: It's overrated. It's a mess.
Speaker 3: For one thing I'll eat. I agree with you there. But Ryan roast beef for whatever it is, cheese, some sort of sauce. I haven't had a lot of them.
Speaker 5: Looks like there's onions on this.
Speaker 3: It's hard to go wrong. Come on, I never had.
Speaker 5: A one that I'm like, oh yeah, I totally get.
Speaker 3: This if you had one in Philadelphia or New York.
Speaker 1: I've never been so so you got an issue with this?
Speaker 3: What's wrong with this?
Speaker 5: I just do you like cheese steaks?
Speaker 1: Ok, you're kidding me.
Speaker 5: I like a beef dip, which I guess is kind of the same family.
Speaker 3: But yeah, oh yeah, old school with horse radish.
Speaker 5: No horse radish is too much for me.
Speaker 3: Derek's giving me the thumbs up.
Speaker 5: My wife infamously scooped some horse raddish thinking it was mashed potatoes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was not nuts.
Speaker 3: She recovered.
Speaker 5: It took a while, but she did. Let's let's make way for Friedman. He's coming up back. This is palking it in Canada's very old. But talk to him about beef horse stish, strip clubs and horse radish. Freeman, it's not you knowing the team.
Speaker 3: I chack three foot hot dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday noons and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two five two three two today all right Monday, and all of our guests today, including Elliott. Is he standing by? I'm still waiting for all of our guests today, including hopefully Elliott. Sponsored by Bissan Motors, Bright deals and better drives are ahead at Poissan Motors hit the Road with huge savings going forward. Stop by their dealership located at one six three one five Fraser Highway in Surrey, or check them out online at Passon Motors B A, S A N T Motors Dot Calm. No La yet, No Elliott yet.
Speaker 1: I don't want to call them, I think, said Noel.
Speaker 3: Then for a second, yeah, I think I called him. Jeremy Rogaliski. Okay, Patrick Johnson on Blue Sky tweeting out moments ago. It's been reported elsewhere and I have it now. These are Patrick words. We've got the post that the Clip Sadines will be moving into hockey op roles alongside Evan Gold obviously with the Canucks not clear what the future roles are for current agms Cammy Grenado and Emily cast and Gay anything. Further to add, nothing there about Ryan Johnson, who again you you made the point, lives in Nashville in the off season, and last time I checked, the Predators have a vacancy when it comes to a general.
Speaker 1: Manager and the FS and let's be honest, the Canucks denied him permission to talk to Nashville a few weeks ago. So maybe he gets set up.
Speaker 3: Did they didn't They deny that. They deny that.
Speaker 1: Don. I'm telling you one hundred percent, Elliot and I that we're sticking to our guns. It happened. Here's the other thing, Don, he's been here twelve years. You can't do more. If he doesn't get the GM job today, he's never going to get the GM job in Vancouver. It's look, as I said earlier in the show, the owners love Evan Gold. Jim Rutherford was fighting for Ryan Johnson. I think there was too many people pushing for Gold, and I think Ryan got out numbered.
Speaker 3: Bottom line, So you base your hiring on interviews and not somebody who's been a loyal soldier. And I think he's one of the few people in the Canucks organization when it comes to management, who most people feel has done an excellent job, excellent? What else has been there? He goes back to the Gillis era. Is he not, Donny?
Speaker 1: You just want to call the Cup? Twelve months ago? It was twelve months ago. We're bragging about the guy, you know. And then here's what happened, Just so everybody in Vancouver knows. After he won the call the Cup, the Canucks gave him a huge pay raise, redid his deal. Oh please, don't go anywhere. You just want to call the Cup. Oh, everybody's gonna want the GM of the call the Cup winning habits for Canucks. They gave more money. Don't go anywhere, And now it looks like they're going to bypass them for an assistant GM in Boston.
Speaker 3: Who interviewed And again, we can't sit here.
Speaker 1: What's going on here? Right with the screen? Okay, you got elliotod Elliott.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're working on getting Elliott Friedman. He'll be here, I understand in a couple of moments. Here he's here now, Okay, brought to you by Asant Motors. It's Elliott Freeman. It took a while and we know you're busy. Elliott. Thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 9: How are you my pleasure. And by the way, I just told young Kyle Bakoskis that I was coming on, and he did a great dollar ball impression. I was like, Elliott, this's Tuesdays, there's two vps's gonna work.
Speaker 1: Good PC boy.
Speaker 3: That so, Elliott, how's it going to work? Tell us?
Speaker 9: You know, I'll just say this like I don't I don't want to cause any controversy or deal with anyone or try to discredit anyone's work. But I was just told it was premature to go on the g M call to make could call on the GM at this point in time. And so I'm not saying anyone's wrong or anything like that, because it could turn anything that's been reported could turn out to be right. I just heard it was premature, So that's all I'm not going to say. I'm not going to sit here and confirm anyone or being GM or not being GM. I just heard it was premature at this point in time. But I do believe the sitting thing is I do think they are going to be taking on a bigger role, which I think is great to hear because I think they've got a lot to offer.
Speaker 3: So just just to recap it's being reported here that Evan Golds has got the job, but you're you're not going to go on record as saying that, and we'll see what happens in the next Yeah.
Speaker 9: I am not interested in fighting with anybody else or discrediting anyone else because everything here could turn out to be right. And I don't know who reported what I was. All I would say is I knew I was coming on and I wanted to be as updated as I could be, And I was just told premature to say who the GM would be.
Speaker 3: That's all. It might be Evan Gold and Elliott. I can't remember if we asked this before, probably, But what do you know about Boston Bruins AGM Evan Gold and how much respect he has in the hockey world.
Speaker 9: Well, I think that he's like one of the next generation of guys, right, don he you know, he he's you know, he's if you look at his educational background, he's a really sharp guy. He did a lot of key negotiating for the Boston Bruins. He helped run the Providence Bruins, the American Hockey League team. I know the Canucks considered running a team at either the NHL or the AHL level very important to them. You know, he's got a lot of hands on experience in negotiation, negotiating and running a team. So you know, I think that he's he's a really sharp young guy. To Ronald interviewed him. He didn't make the finalist there, I don't believe, but I heard they were very impressed with his interview when I spoke to them after it was over. You know, I just asked about individual cadidates and they said it was an impressive interview. So like, this is a guy who at some point in time will have the chance to run an NHL team. The question is if it's going to be now or it's going to be later.
Speaker 3: And Ryan Johnson Elliott, if indeed he doesn't get that AGM, probably the GM job in Vancouver. Is there a possibility he would fill the vacancy in Nashville, And we asked you that in part because there is a vacancy.
Speaker 1: Also he lives there in the offseason.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so that is like purely my speculation. I have been trying to figure out what Nashville has been up to here because they've taken a while, and I don't have a problem with them taking a while. If you wait to get the right person, that's the smart thing to do. And initially, and it's been the subject of some debate about what exactly happened, but the bottom line is he didn't interview in Nashville, and the fact that Predators have yet to make a hire has me wondering if he does not get this job in Vancouver, if they will circle back again and see if they can talk to him one he fits what they're looking for, which is somebody who, like we talked about with the Canucks, has run either an NHL or an HL team before. Both the Predators and the Canucks have a similar wish list there. And you know, the fact that he is an up and coming young executive, and also the fact that, as you said, he has the Nashville connection, it makes sense Like it might just be circumstantial evidence down but it makes sense in my head. So that's why I wondered about that.
Speaker 1: Elliott. You guys had Brendon Shanahan, now Matt Sendan, we had Trevor Linden now the Sadines. What's your view on former players getting these titles?
Speaker 9: I know, you know what, I don't have a problem as long as they're smart and willing to work. You know, you know, I think like I'm a big Sundean guy, like I really am. I love dealing with Mattz. I think he cares a lot like to me, I would describe Sunday a lot as I would describe the Twins. Really sharp guys, really care a lot about the organization. Being a maple leaf meant the world to Sundean as being a kaduck meant to the Sadeen Twins. That's very important. I think there should be pride in your organization, and you can't find people who have more pride in their organizations than the Sundeyn or the Sedens. I think there has to be an understanding Rick on what the job entails. You know, Matts is not going to be the primary decision maker in Toronto, but he's going to have a big opinion and they're going to listen to his opinion. It doesn't sound like the Sadeens are going to be the primary decision makers in Vancouver, but they're really sharp guys. They care a lot about the and you're going to listen to their opinions. So I think what it is is they're not going to be the full time guys, but they're going to be around more and they're not shy. You know, they're quiet, but they're not shy. They're going to tell you what they think and they know what makes people successful. And I think I think it's a great move. I think any as long as everybody understands the parameters and they're willing to be involved and willing to work. And it sounds like they are because they went I don't know the exact timeline here, Rick, but they went to them about this a little bit ago, and obviously they thought about it, and they seem prepared to accept it, and I I, I just don't understand how you think it would be a bad thing. I think it's But you know, the one the reason Lindon and Benning didn't work is they weren't on the same page right at the beginning.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 9: You've got to make sure that everybody's on the same page.
Speaker 1: Elliott, I gotta get your thoughts on the Pierre Dori, Vancouver. You know, I I do believe in my heart the Canucks saw the negativity when his name was Leake and said, Nope, we're going to bypass them.
Speaker 9: That's something I'd like to ask them about when this is all over. I mean, he was a candidate. Yeah, it was to Vancouver, So I don't know how anybody can say he wasn't a candidate. I think every candidate should be judged on their own merits, and I don't have a problem with people agreeing or disagreeing on the merit of a particular candidate. I mean, that's life in the big city. I did wonder if some of it went a little bit over the top, you know what. Like, I'm far from a perfect human being. I make terrible mistakes and I say things that I wish I could take back. But you know, the one thing I really think is that you can make your point without some of the things I saw.
Speaker 3: That's all right, Elliott. You know we love to focus on the leafs here. Can you compare? Can you compare the reactions in Toronto to these two events, Monday's John Jacob press conference and Tuesday's winning of the draft lottery by the Toronto Maybe.
Speaker 9: You know, I'll tell you that, don The funniest thing is, I like, I grew up here and I have some friends who are big leaf fans, and the couple of them were pretty upset about the higher. They didn't like it, and then when they won the lottery, they're like, I told you this guy was a great guy. They're they're they're just they're they're just hilarious. I mean, look as disappointed as the Canucks fans were, and Vancouver is still gonna get a really good player. You know, it's it's been basically, you guys haven't had to pick that high since the Twins, right, So yeah, it's you're gonna get a good player and and a good play. Basically, what's gonna happen is unless you guys move anywhere, a good player is just gonna drop on your lap. So it's going to be a good day for the franchise. But I know the fans were disappointed, and as disappointed as those fans were, the Leaf fans were excited, and but it just it just shows you that the the you know, we are so lucky guys that we have fans who are super passionate. Whether you agree with them or you disagree with them, these people are the reason we all have jobs. And to me, like those those kinds of days back to back, it's like a big loss followed by a big win. We all ride the roller coaster together and we're lucky that we have jobs here.
Speaker 3: Well one more when it comes to Rick Talcket, former vank Verconnuck's head coach. But how would you characterized how would you describe the Flyers first season under ricktocket.
Speaker 9: Well, it was a success, right, and they got to they got to the playoffs. They went a round. Like it's really amazing, don if you watched the way that Philly Sports Weekend went. They went to the second round, they lost by a sweep and they got an ovation, and the seventy six ers went to the second round, they got swept and they got boot out of the arena by Knicks fans. Like it's it's like two different planets, you know, the one thing, you know, the one thing I kind of respect about talk it this year and they'll have to sort out the misicof thing. That's important. But it was the fact that he was willing to talk about how at the Olympics he asked for help from Peter de Boor, and Debor gave him something that helped fix their system. And some people were like, well, shouldn't he figure that out? He's the coach and My reaction to that is like we all have things we don't see right, Like none of us are perfect. Like you can ask someone for help and you can say, you know what, this person really helped us out. And I like the fact that talk ittt is his ego is not so big that he's not willing to ask for help, and then he's willing to admit, yeah, this guy helped me out. Like this is a results oriented business. They got to the second round of the playoffs. That's the success for the Flyers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unfortunately for Pete Debor, they're now in the same division Islanders and Flash. Yeah. But other than that, I agree with divorce and say I take it back. Yeah, forget, forget what I said.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it took a while, we got.
Speaker 3: You, and uh we're lucky we did. Thanks so much and we'll talk to you in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know what I just done. I just wanted to try to make sure I knew what you guys were gonna ask me. I know, obviously to the top of the day. I just wanted to have the best information I could and work on my Kyle Bukoska's.
Speaker 1: Stop God, it was perfect. It was good. It was good.
Speaker 3: Thanks Elliott, I appreciate it.
Speaker 9: Take care of guys, Eli.
Speaker 3: Freeman, Hockey Day in Canada and the thirty two Thoughts podcast. Well, Craig Button's on the show to more. I wanted to ask Elliott when it comes to the Leafs, just I know they lost yesterday, but Mitch Marner's leading the playoffs and in points. Oh boy, think of that. You're going to say something, sorry, Patrick?
Speaker 1: Just Ryan Patrick went on gold Sky Guy but thinking of gold Evan Gold a blue sky and said that he was a little premature in saying Evan Gold is a new gym at the.
Speaker 3: We did based our whole show.
Speaker 1: He's backing off. He's backtracking a bit a bit. It's so maybe Ryan is Ryan Johnson is Ryan Johnson is still in the mixed See what did.
Speaker 3: Elliott say at the start of that He wasn't sure. I was can't go against Sellio Freedman.
Speaker 1: I was told this morning they're going to pick a winner today, but it's fifty to fifty.
Speaker 3: Okay, a break wadling dog poll question. Will update it next. Toney Delling the team on check Donny and Dolly.
Speaker 2: The team is supported by Abelauctions dot ca A. Closing your business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 1: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner. Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email sales at able Auctions dot ca A. That's sales n A b l E Auctions dot ca A. Are you gonna get it? Ran? What do you think? Okay? All right? Oh boy, it'll make sense in a second. Maybe if we can get what I'm talking about getting all right? Waddling dog. People have no idea what I'm talking about, which often happens on this show. Experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations. Waddling dog. Sponsor of our poll questions sleep sip stock up all in one legendary spot. Come sit, stay at the dog today, Rick.
Speaker 1: Ryan, get her up the waddling dog up pole question? What will your reaction be if the Sadein Twins are named co presidents of Canucks Hockey ops you could have just said, you know, upper management. But anyways, what is co presidents of Hockey.
Speaker 3: Ops anyway, got it off of Old Sky.
Speaker 1: Blue Sky. It's not gold Sky, it's Blue Sky. Thumbs up. But we have to we have to go to what Elliott Friedman said as well, that he wouldn't commit. No no, no, no, no no, we have to go to this comment. Elliott said the Sadine Twins will not be the primary decision makers in Vancouver, not full time guys, but around more. That's what I was told this morning. Is there going to be around more as opposed to the guys they're gonna move on, be more involved.
Speaker 3: So what will happen with player development? Then they're moving on from player development, I can still be involved in that on top of this new role.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly this is all we gotta we gotta find out.
Speaker 3: But you know, I'm saying Elliott wouldn't commit to Evan Gold or Ryan Johnson at this point. No, obviously it's between those two.
Speaker 1: And Patrick Johnson has backtracked a bit and said gold.
Speaker 3: Is we got that tweet? Actually, maybe show a tweet. It's from Blue Sky, so it's a post. Uh, They're all posts. I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't keep up the first one, Ryan, So is the sky's still alive.
Speaker 3: With the two posts together? Go go Rick, go go nuts?
Speaker 1: Which one? Where am I going?
Speaker 3: Here? The top?
Speaker 1: No? No, I want to read the bottom? Well, no, go for people just tuning in, ok here we go being reported elsewhere, and I have it now Sedines will be moving into hockey ops roles alongside Evan Gold.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Not clear about the futures of Cammi Granado and Emily cast On gay assistant GMS. But then eighteen minutes later, Patrick said, to be clear, and you're all going to grow grown, uh, not growing, but grown a little bit at me. This is about the.
Speaker 3: See you're pulling a growing ring. I am.
Speaker 1: I believe Gold is going to be GM, but I don't have that one hundred percent locked down.
Speaker 3: Okay, So that that speaks to what Elliot had to say, because he he I remember at the top of the interview, Yeah, he said pretty sure, not certain himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I just got a text. Ryan Johnson is still in the mix. Ryan Johnson is still in the mix. Ryan Johnson is still in the mix in Vancouver. In Vancouver, and Patrick Alvian might be in the mix as well. What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Ry Don? Well, he showed up.
Speaker 1: We got texting that at Rogers a reading today, right. Someone told me that Elvan's at Rodgers reading this morning. I have no idea. Why.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't Why wouldn't I done it?
Speaker 1: Maybe he's here for the scouting meetings? This guy, I know the scouting meetings started this morning.
Speaker 3: Where are we Ryan with the clip that I wanted to show. He's still working on it. But here's what I whenever it comes to that situation. Now, this is just me. I could care less what people think of me if somebody, as you know, I'm doing the show. But if somebody asked me, hey, do you want to stick around in a lesser role? And still I would think get paid, grab a decent paycheck, work in the hockey world, which I love, I'd be okay with it. Would people look down at me? I guess. But I mean, if I've got no other choice and I like it in Vancouver and I want to help you, why wouldn't you take a listener?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know. The Canucks fire a deal.
Speaker 1: The Canucks fired him, but they offered him a job to come back and uh what was the hotel? Uh he had tongs.
Speaker 3: Strongs not a hotel, grocery store that has like a a cafeteria.
Speaker 1: Somebody tweeted at us, said Patrick and the Sadine twins at Strong's grocery store last night. Yes, having a drink. I would assume he's coffee your team.
Speaker 3: Well, it's at Stones.
Speaker 1: I'm a guy. I've never heard of Strongs in my life.
Speaker 3: It's an old school west side grocery store.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of strongsre or.
Speaker 3: Maybe he got let go.
Speaker 10: Maybe he got let go, he got fired and then just showed up to work today and hopefully, you know, thinking that nobody will remember that he got fired.
Speaker 3: We've seen this before. Is that stam over there? What are you doing here?
Speaker 6: But?
Speaker 4: Am I crazy?
Speaker 3: Or didn't you quit?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 3: What that are you kidding?
Speaker 5: You took that?
Speaker 4: Seriously? You mean laughing stock all that stuff?
Speaker 9: Will you just stop it?
Speaker 3: No brains, no ability? What we've seen it before. All right, we do a lot of Seinfeld references here.
Speaker 1: I got an update on Strongs.
Speaker 3: Well, thank god for that.
Speaker 1: No, this is going to be relevant because it all makes sense. Strongs is owned by the.
Speaker 3: Really Yes, Oh wow, Okay, I just got it all fits. It all fits.
Speaker 1: So Aquiline's got these grocery store Strongs. Can you show that what a Strongs look like?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Look at grocery logo logo, Donnie, I've.
Speaker 3: Never say it's green, isn't it?
Speaker 1: I don't have I don't have the Aquline google Strongs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't have them owning it.
Speaker 3: You know, I believe it's a West Side old school grocery store that's still around.
Speaker 1: I guess I just got a text in the role.
Speaker 3: I'm a Burnaby guide. I didn't go to Stings.
Speaker 1: So if Alvin and the twins were at Strong's last night, owned by aquab it makes sense.
Speaker 5: I don't have them owner owning it. I have somebody else owning it.
Speaker 1: Are you sure?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll double check on that.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, fred Fred Strong owns it.
Speaker 5: I'm still I'm just very like am I the only one insanely confused by this dolly weall' is seeing him at Rogers Arena.
Speaker 1: He's somebody.
Speaker 5: You're hearing that somebody saw him. He's hanging out with the two guys that might be getting an elevated role.
Speaker 3: What the hell's going.
Speaker 5: Is he out of the organization or not?
Speaker 1: Like what is he guys asked to come back?
Speaker 3: Ryan? Yeah, but what about the whole situation here with some people are being hired, they're not being hired? Is Ryan Johnson sticking around? What about Emily casta gay and in Cammi Grenado it's I'm sure they'll they'll have some fun because you know by by this time in twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 11: And look at we're reacting, Ryan, We're reacting to a million leaks, right, So so they're not they're not publicly making a mess of this, right, we're only getting leaks.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 11: That's becoming a mess.
Speaker 1: You've got just are You've got some business and I want to stop you.
Speaker 3: Ryan uh.
Speaker 1: Owns it. You may have partners, but he owns.
Speaker 3: So I'm not sure who the general manager is going to be the caducts, but we've nailed down Stongs owners.
Speaker 1: Strongs is owned by Aquillini. That's why you saw the twins and Alvin they're not.
Speaker 3: So a guy that I think is just a coincidence that it's owned by the Aquilanes. What are they getting a discount? Maybe they're coffee?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me. You're kidding you think he's giving anybody a Discount's true, they're gonna pay duble that Aline owns stongs. I've never heard of Strongs. I'm a save On guy.
Speaker 5: I think it's in Dunbar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just said that kind of we're Siddish. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Business is the price as good as Strong's, Goon's expensive. It's just crazy. As an alumni member, I can tell you these they have those dollars forty nine days though. You want some more money, Donny, Yesterday at Sebon eleven, I counted eleven strawberries in a little box.
Speaker 3: I bet you did.
Speaker 1: Your life is so sad?
Speaker 3: Many nine.
Speaker 1: Eleven strawberries? What is this world coming to me?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: I don't do we know, but just hold on a second. Do you know if Savon is a client of checks? No, it's not. Maybe we should stop.
Speaker 1: That's Jimmy Patterson. But I don't know what strawberries are you buying?
Speaker 5: There's a two pound thing about the six bucks business business in a.
Speaker 1: Little blueberry box seven ninety nine.
Speaker 3: It's probably a strawberry box.
Speaker 1: Go, okay, here we go. Bec's number one sports when you're buying gaming Shop Pastime Sports check out largest selection as sports memorabilia, autographed items, trading cards and collectible games of Western Canada. Look at it twenty twenty six World Cup apparel cards now available. Look at this beautiful if you can't visit them at stores shop they're massive collection featuring cards from any era online of pastime sports.
Speaker 3: That's the eight laptop.
Speaker 5: Somebody's bringing up plenty for twenty is a good deal. Save one has that You get a bunch of meat for twenty bucks.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a good deal.
Speaker 3: Like as opposed to three packages you get four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I've taken advantage of that. There's a new one in Moody, relatively new.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's not bad.
Speaker 1: The Doleman strawberries for nine to ninety nine is a joke. They weren't big and thick, but it's ridiculous down in front of the laptop, pick your own buried back card of the day, Oh punch McClain of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: G Roy Simon signed card in the middle lines, training camps underway and pastime as a whole bunch of g Roy Simon autographed membor. Be there more on that as the show goes along and score nineteen to ninety one hockey cards featuring one of Taylor's buddies there, Chrit McClain.
Speaker 3: All Right, okay, you mentioned Barry Beck. DTMZ is coming up next, but we wanted to go out on Barry's old coach, the late great Ernie McClain, who left us at age ninety three on Friday. I've talked about this a lot, we've run it before the show. It's one of my favorite YouTube videos of all time. It really sums up what was going on at Queen's Park Arena back in those days, and you can talk about all the fighting and they also won a lot of hockey games. But this is Ernie McClain at his punch McLean, at his punch McLean best at Queen's Park Arena. Bruins versus Portland in the seventies. To break DTMZ next.
Speaker 12: During a recent game at Queen's Park, John Paul Kelly of the Bruins, who lost an eye himself, was taught at about the protective mask he wears by the opposing goalie. The goaltender was able to start a fight, but he had to tear the mask right off Kelly's face before the usually aggressive bruin would retaliate. When the linesman had subdued Kelly, the goalie then picked up Kelly's mask from the ice and put it on. He then started to mimic a blind man on skates. That action so enraged Ernie McClain that he went out onto the ice and told the young goalkeeper that if he ever did anything like that again, the league would not be big enough for the.
Speaker 8: Two of them.
Speaker 12: This type of action in the past possibly has built up an incorrect reputation for Ernie McLain.
Speaker 3: Looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway, head to beautiful Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean Front Resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction, splashing the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean front restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape book Your Getaway now at two five I have a two four eight eight tuple three. Your Island Adventure starts here.
Speaker 1: It's eleven thirty six on a Monday morning. Donnie Done on check TV. Now time for DTMZ, brought to you by the oral famous Winster Golf Club. Go see big ol Great Track, Great Track.
Speaker 3: DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design was the golf club and Fuddy Golfers to step to date with phase two of their golf course renovation on Instagram at Whistler Golf and just a reminder of the golf shop and driving range at Whistler will remain open this summer. Just to recap Rick regarding the Canucks general manager situation and maybe throwing some stongs information as well.
Speaker 1: The Strongs is definitely owned by the Aquallini Group. It's on their website. So anyways, I've got media backing it up. Canucks are down to two guys, Evan Gold and Ryan Johnson. No one's been picked yet, but we do expect that one of those two guys to get the job.
Speaker 3: And it was reported earlier today, not that long ago, that Evan Gold had the job that's been retracted since then. It's still a two horse race as far as we know. And this looks like the Cedes are moving into hockey hockey yops, from player development.
Speaker 1: Our good friend Patrick Johnson, and he had that information.
Speaker 3: Okay, So we've spent a lot of time talking mostly about strongs. So let's get right to birthdays for me, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Ryan, get her up. The sponsor pork Chop Louise Butcher shop at Casino Pincher Creek, Alberta.
Speaker 5: This is one of our old ones.
Speaker 1: Curtncy Pete, Calgary, Peton, Calgary, right, pork Chopp.
Speaker 3: He used to work in Pitcher Creek, didn't you.
Speaker 1: I knew a hockey player from Pincher Creek played on our Huskies team in ninety two, pitch Patrick. I think his name was good Guy. It's so fake, Oh Fitzpatrick, Oh my god, you're you're not gonna believe me that I know a guy from Pincher Creek on the junior team in ninety two.
Speaker 3: Patrick fay John.
Speaker 1: He was a cowboy type guy. Yeah, it was came.
Speaker 3: It was his first name.
Speaker 1: I can't too.
Speaker 3: It was nineteen Louis Fitzpatrick.
Speaker 1: It's five hundred decades ago? Was it Dody would? Doty Wood was a peal of mine. Don't you be ripping Doty Would? Okay, let's get calling. This guy was the third round pick of the Bruins in two thousand and six. The Bruins made a trade with the Islanders to make sure they got him in the draft. He won the Bruins Seventh Player Award, given by fans to the player who's surpassed expectations when not two thousand and six four time all start. He once had Louis Erickson as a linemate in Boston. He won the Eddie Shore Award in Boston for exceptional hustle and determination. Holds the Bruins record for shorthanded and overtime goals. Are you guys here? Are you guys here?
Speaker 3: Marshant?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Martshant. He won an award in two thousand and sixth the year.
Speaker 3: He was ding.
Speaker 1: This is Pastornak all over again. I said, two thoy and fourteen. He won the Eddie Shore Award.
Speaker 5: No he didn't, you said two thousand and He was drafted in two thousand and he said it was sixties.
Speaker 1: Stop stop, you got it.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's you know what bothers me above Brad Marshan, what is that when he was beating up Daniel Sadin he was a rookie. Yeah, that bothers me. But they should have done something twenty eleven.
Speaker 5: He was a rookie, absolutely, and that was the whole turn the other cheek get a power play score and.
Speaker 3: It worked for them for the most part. That was a moment. I think they'd like to get back big ten.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ron, you got to stay out of this. This is for Donnie. This undrafted old played almost five hundred games in the WHA and the NHL. He won two ABC World Trophies, WHL Champs in Winnipeg nineteen seventy four when he what do you want me to say? I'm giving you tips. Nineteen seventy four, he joined Winnipeg. His NHL rights belonged to Buffalo. Let the WHA with eighty five assists and in nineteen seventy six tied with Mark Tarte nineteen seventy six playoffs twenty six points in thirteen games.
Speaker 3: So it's either alf Nielson or anders hedberg Off Nielsen.
Speaker 1: Elf Nielsen, you got it. He went on to play of the Rangers, well.
Speaker 3: He played on the lot Bobby Bobby Hall and andrews Hedberg, and they all loved playing with him.
Speaker 1: One of the first Europeans to make the jump over those two guys. Great guys. Okay, this guy was the third round pick of the Penguins in twenty ten. In twenty twenty, NHL dot com said if they redid the twenty ten draft, he'd be ranked twentieth overall. He played a Notre dame in the NCAA, currently the fourth longest tenured Penguin after Crosby Mulkin and the tang Is it rust?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Oh, Brian Rush, you got it? That could be a little fishy?
Speaker 5: Who else would it be?
Speaker 1: How would you know? Brian Russ has been there fourth longest, who well, how would you know that? Who else would it be? He won two Stanley Cups? Would Jim russing?
Speaker 3: A song? Who could have been? Now?
Speaker 1: Who could have been? Who was that?
Speaker 3: Men at work?
Speaker 1: Meno work? What great song that was? Men at work? Was great?
Speaker 3: You can hear it playing at stones. Oh at work?
Speaker 1: So much popped today? So are you gonna rip?
Speaker 3: Men at work?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Find me?
Speaker 1: Who can it be knocking at my door?
Speaker 3: Down?
Speaker 1: Down? Under from Australia. They were good. Who can it be?
Speaker 5: Now has the sacks? That was the saxophone populations.
Speaker 3: From Australia ACDC in excess.
Speaker 1: Also, oh suicide blonde in excess. This quarterback won the High Side of Bowl. This quarterback won the Heisman Trophy and the National Championship Game as a junior NCAA title. This quarterback is a rookie in the NFL. In twenty eleven, broke the season single NFL record for rushing touchdowns by quarterback fourteen twenty eleven. Yeah, his dad was a safety for the Cowboys. His younger brother was a center in the NFL. He's the only player in NFL history five seasons of three thousand plus passing yards five hundred rushing yards, first Africa African American quarterback to outright win the NFL MVP Award. Are you too serious? Is it?
Speaker 3: Cam Newton?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Really, I didn't know that last that Cam Newton.
Speaker 8: Is that?
Speaker 1: It's act way. I can't make up birthdays. I'm not gonna, you know, pretend to know any birthdays.
Speaker 3: I try that, okay? Is it just me coming up next? Eric Burden meanwhile, eighty five years old, Wow, and he's gonna help play us out from October sixty five and the hold on a second here it's thirteen seconds from October of nineteen sixty five. Go and the album The Best of the Animals. This is Eric Burden and the Animals and it's my life. Pay attention, Rick on check groovy music all day long on a BC Monday morning.
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: It's next? It's a hard world to get a break in.
Speaker 1: Oh god, this was gold eighties, eighties, eighties. This was a great song.
Speaker 3: I always remember the yellow and black album cover, right yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it mena work menta work great stuff? Thank you for that that brings not to be confused with men without hats? Yes, right there, best decade ever from music eighties right there? What are you gonna You're gonna fight me on that?
Speaker 3: This song didn't help?
Speaker 1: No, it was good. What's wrong with this song?
Speaker 3: I don't know why. I just I'm with Ryan the Sacks, like.
Speaker 5: I said, the Sacks like he is on what are their sax songs?
Speaker 3: What's wrong with this song?
Speaker 1: What? O?
Speaker 3: The Sack songs are there with like a lot of Springsteen. Yeah, but the big man, right, Eric, somebody right there right there where?
Speaker 1: Who see the Sack right? Well, what's wrong with the Sacks? It's what's wrong with Is it just me Billy G? The Sacks guy? Okay?
Speaker 9: Is it just me?
Speaker 1: Kenny G? Kenny. I didn't say Billy G G was sized. I meant Kenny G was he?
Speaker 3: He wasnt Sacks? No, I don't think so, go go Is it just like Kenny G?
Speaker 8: Is it just me?
Speaker 1: But it's really embarrassing seeing Dawn and Rick cry over the possibility the Canucks might hire Gold over RJH. That's from Amrit. First of all, we're not crying. The Canucks are going to pick their guy today, whether it's Gold or RJ. It's no skin off our back. We're just covering the team. I don't understand why we'd be crying. I don't know how you get that we're crying over it. We're covering the story for crying out loud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kenny G. Sacks.
Speaker 1: I thought it was Kenny G. I told you that Sacks guy, the Sacks guy.
Speaker 3: We're getting a lot of submissions I can't name name them all about this, but is Patrick Alpi sticking around to become gm of one of Equallini's stung stories. I'm sorry, but there's a lot of that what he got?
Speaker 1: Okay? Is it just me? I'd like this this Alan and Yale Town's yeah good good guy? Is just me? Or isn't it the Canock way to have Ryan Johnson find out he didn't get the job through the media and not by the Canucks. Yeah, you know what, Alan, I did. The way technology and the world works today, somebody gets a text in less than one second, Lady, they're tweeting it out. Don't be surprised if that happens.
Speaker 3: Uh, this is Bobby Poco. Is it just me? Or are the Canucks going to hire Evan Gold so he could facilitate a trade of Peterson to Boston? Oh? I don't think he'd fit the Bruin mold.
Speaker 1: If the Canucks can move that guy anywhere, you know, I'm pretty sure the new GM is going to try. Is it just me?
Speaker 3: Dwight Ernie Punch McLain died on his way to do something he loved, prospecting appropriate way to go for a BC Hockey icon and a truly tough guy. I guess you might call that if you want to look at it as a positive. And they don't think he's any positives here. But he was on his way to take care of the mind. Took care of it. Pleab Be owned up up near Atland, near D's Lake.
Speaker 1: These lake is far away. It's passport Nelson. We're going. You and I are up there and it's going way up there. And he just loved mining like he loved hockey. And just a very sad day.
Speaker 3: Okay, we got to take a break. We'll wrap up the show and the poll question next. Donyd the team on the.
Speaker 1: Check looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport in the Ferry. Their room blend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps Wald of Wall, TVs. Every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour and before you go, stuck up at their cold beer once hundreds of local and imported options, Class exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come sentence day dog poll, Rick, Ryan, get her up the Wandling dog po poll.
Speaker 3: Question of the day and it is, what.
Speaker 1: Will your reaction be if the Sadeen Twins are named cool presidents of hockey ops? Look at this? Eighty seven percent say no problem, thumbs up, bot, fourteen percent say thumbs down.
Speaker 3: Do you have pictures?
Speaker 1: Ryan, where we're going?
Speaker 5: We've got a photo with Ernie Punch, perfect from one of our viewers.
Speaker 1: We just we got to show it wearing a sports page hat.
Speaker 5: No, not with a sports page hat.
Speaker 1: But who is this again? Right? I asked you if you had the details? Right, Yeah, showed it. Hold on a second, let me go find it there it's stunks. Oh, it's right here. It's no, there's no name. Oh, Bob from Bob's Limos. Bob Limos, Limos, Limos Limos, Bob from Bob's Limos. You guys are the best pleasure meeting and talking hockey with Punch. Look at this. This is a pick and maple ridge with me and Punch.
Speaker 5: We got a few submissions. We got another one saying that they've recognized him on the skytrain and talked hockey.
Speaker 3: He went tyre Reames and a friend of mine, Loris Thomas Ella, sent a picture to me recently he met Ernie on the skytrain going to Knocks games. Yeah, ninety three years old hopping on the sky train going to Kanok games. Is always at Giants games BRB Yeah, minor hockey. He would go down to Seattle to watch the Kraken. He was over ninety years old.
Speaker 1: Right to the end. He would attend hockey games everywhere in the Lower Mainland, the Canucks, Giants. Everybody tweeted out to this weekend the sadness of Punch's death.
Speaker 5: I got one more photo. This is from our good friend Karen Sermon. Her dog Wriggly Black Labs see the bottom there, Yeah, watching the show, and she says the dog is not impressed at all, but his current recovering from surgery. So she's on the couch chilling watching, No, but.
Speaker 1: Not impressed because watching us. Yeah, she doesn't think the dog is overly impressed. So the doctor doesn't like us.
Speaker 5: He's all clicking together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're getting it, but Karen's watching.
Speaker 1: Karen's a friend of ours.
Speaker 5: Of course watching the dog's name is Wrigley.
Speaker 1: Wriggley. That's a great dog named Wrigley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, really good Lauren from Rocketford. Is it just me? But I think the Canucks will wait until you guys are off the air before announcing their new GM. We've accused the Canucks of holding back, and you do until after noon after twelve noon, just to just to mess with us. They don't like us.
Speaker 1: This will not hurt the sdines legacy. It could be an idiot like me as the p Oho and the fans will blame it the ownership. The ownership record speaks for itself.
Speaker 3: Peter and Cloverdale p Oho, President of Hockey Operations.
Speaker 1: Yep, here's a great one renamed Queens Park Arena Punch McLain Arena.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what a great, great idea. Get that statue done first and then and then go from there. Thoughts, prayers, and knoless to all friends and family of our Ernie Punch mcclaim and that includes ourselves. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks of obviously more Canucks news tomorrow. We'll see what happens in this search for a new general manager of stonings On behalf of Ryan, Derek Rick, everybody here at oh Boy.
Speaker 1: Check on Donnie. You're up to dat in the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.