Speaker 1: Even if you've never fished for bass, you're gonna find what we're about to tell you kind of interesting because it involves a cheater taking cheating to a whole new level. All right, stick around. That's coming up in just a second. But first, JB, if you ever like, how do I put this? Your wife would tell you don't do that, But you really want to do it anyway, because like, let me give you an example. I found something. I've had something for quite a while. I just found it again, and I want to use it. But I know Trisha's going to say, don't you do that because you'll lose it. Right I found I was going through some old stuff and I found a money clip. Okay, that was my grandfather's money clip, and it's got a eighteen eighty nine silver dollar in it. See it showing it to you. It's a money clip, and I so badly want to start carrying this money clip up around, but I know Trisha's going to say, you're going to lose it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna and it's an heirloom.
Speaker 1: Right yes.
Speaker 3: In fact, I don't think you should even have it in your possession. I think I should be holding on to it. That's what I think.
Speaker 1: I'm going to put it in the safe that you don't have the combination to.
Speaker 3: The same and you probably gave JB the combination to the safe, and I don't even know we had a safe.
Speaker 1: JB knows the combo. Yeah, he knows. I should just give this money clip to JB to hang on to. Then it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: But you know, it wants you to use it though, he would yeah, not just stare at it.
Speaker 3: He'd wants you to use it and not lose it a tracker on his wallet right now because he loses it all the time.
Speaker 2: That's the kind of thing I would. I would pull out for special occasions, like if you're going to a nice event or a nice dinner, a gala. Yeah, you know, you know sometimes you put on cuff links. Maybe it's like your pinky ring. Yeah, it's like you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna dress it up.
Speaker 1: You know what you're right clip? And I also have his old gold pocket watch. You know, remember the old pocket watch is they put to a chain on your suit, put in your pocket. So I'll just do that. I'll have the money clip and the pocket watch. I'll be like a I might even bring back the zoot suit.
Speaker 3: If you're not Carus, say what you be like a nineteen forties gangster where your pinky ring with the diamond in it that he also gave you.
Speaker 1: Uh, Okay, So I'm just gonna put this away and take it out on special occasions. That's cool though, problem solved. Yeah, it is kind of cool the stories this money. Knowing my grandfather, there wasn't money in it for very long.
Speaker 3: I feel like there was a lot in it and then none in it all the time.
Speaker 1: All right, bass fishing with you may not and people may not know this, but Austin Lake, Austin has quite the scene for bass fishing. I mean, is it Wednesday nights JB.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do. I assume they still do them, you know, because we're on the lake all the time. And I'd always assu him on Wednesday nights in the summer at City Park. They'd stayed at City Park and as a tournament every week. But that's big business.
Speaker 1: Huge.
Speaker 2: Professional fishing is huge, big money, like big prize money.
Speaker 1: Yep. Even salt water bass fishing whatever, I mean, if you can catch it out of the water, there's money in.
Speaker 2: It, and it makes sense, you know, it's like does everyone fish know? But but you know, I mean, look at the amount of people that do and the money that's in it. Once they are in, you can sell them a million things. It's like golf yep, exactly. That's why it's such an enterprise, right. But I was, I was saw this story pop up on Instagram where they busted what they call the biggest cheater in bass fishing ever. I love this stuff, and I thought, oh, this is the story of the guy that was putting weights in there, in there in the fish after they caught him like the little Yeah, they'd catch them in you know, the little fishing weights. They'd start dumping them in the fish and so when it weighs and it would it would be a little bit more and that that's a very famous one. But the one I saw was including a fisherman named Tony Christian and he worked with another guy, Curtis sand Not that it matters, but anyhow, here's what they devised to cheat bass fishing.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: For one, it was sort of a people were raising an eyebrow because he would use like very bright fluorescent lures. No one else was doing that. Okay, everything else looked very natural. So we're like, huh. And this guy started winning tournaments. He won like his big mistake, he won like three in a row. Oh, got greedy, got greedy, got greedy. He used to work for a guy that got greedy in that regard.
Speaker 1: Pigs, pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered.
Speaker 2: And here's what he was doing. The reason the lures were. The bait was like fluorescent. He would they would hire a scuba diver to be in the lake. He cast over by a dock where he knew the scuba diver would be hanging out, and they already had a large bass that had they just had just died. Yeah, and they would put it on the hook. Oh my, the scuba diver would put it on the hook. And at the other place where people started raising eyebrows is like, you know, they could tell when they were bringing it to weigh and people were like, that fish looks like it's maybe been dead a little bit longer, right, They start to lean out in their eyes start to bulge. Yeah, and he got popped on this. It's like, oh my, that is an unbelievable level of cheating.
Speaker 3: No God forbid, you just keep practicing it get really good to win all that lot of money.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the Instagram video of the guy that got caught cheating at the way in like Ye and they were pool in the weights the old school way of dropping weights into the fish, and I thought they were going to kill him. Yes, I did, Yes, and they probably should have. I've been the leader of the packle. I hate a cheater. God, I hate a cheater, and I hate a cheater, and I hate a thief. And but yeah, cheating in the old bass game, it's big money to waig big money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a My daughter's twenty three, and you know, we were always on the lake because my daughter's a wake surfer. We're always on the lake. And every time we'd go, this kid that she went to school with was always out there fishing off the docks, you know, Terrytown kid. And he's on the pro tour now yeah, wow sponsored pro tour fishermen.
Speaker 1: I see kids all the time at the Brushy Creek trail that are walking over with their fishing poles and fishing in Brushy Creek, and I'm always asking, I go, how's the fishing? Do you love it?
Speaker 2: When you see young kids fishing on their own.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just see kids playing outside. I get excited right.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it's a wholesome, like it's just a lost thing.
Speaker 1: Right. My my godson, you know, my buddy more mcdonneh his son is on a professional deep sea team. Like they go out Like he's fishing right now in big time tournament in the Bahamas. And I mean they're fishing for millions of dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they win millions of.
Speaker 1: Dollars and they've done it.
Speaker 2: And there sometimes the fish is worth more than you realize, like a big tuna or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what they'll fish for everything. But I think they're in a tuna tournament right now. But they'll spend you know, four or five days out there fishing and just having the time of his life doing it's kind.
Speaker 3: Of making a ton of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my daughter loves to fish.
Speaker 1: Oh I do too, So does mine. In fact, she told me, she goes, you got to do two things with me this summer. One take me to a butler pitching putt, and two take me fishing. I'm like, all right, I can make those two things happen.
Speaker 2: I keep telling my daughter, you're not a kid anymore. You need to go to academy and get a license. You're gonna get you're gonna get in trouble. You don't want to mess with a game warden.
Speaker 1: One of the most powerful people in Texas, the game warden.
Speaker 3: They can take all your stuff anywhere they want, into anything they want.
Speaker 1: And you know this very well, JB. That if you're on like Lake Austin or Lake Travis, Bucan, wherever you are, if the authority get on your boat, you're screwed. You're done.
Speaker 2: Your APD or Sheriff's department have to have probable cause, doesn't matter. Yeah, just because they feel like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they throw.
Speaker 2: It around the boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. They got a lot of power, man. So I wonder what did they do? You know any what the I guess this guy is going to be banned for scuba cheating with his bass. I'm sure he's banned for life.
Speaker 2: They should have to pay back all those winnings absolutely, look at you know, or pay it to the whoever got seck.
Speaker 1: How did this idea get hatched? You know what I mean? I got an idea. Guys, we're not doing so good in this bass fishing I know a guy that can scuba DIVEE.
Speaker 2: I don't want to give up pro bass fishing because it's a lot of time away from my wife. So I will go to extreme measures to keep this career going.
Speaker 1: Well. His bass fishing days are over.
Speaker 2: You know who was a great bass fisherman and this might surprise you. You may know this Sandy, and he just passed away last year. Chuck Wollery the game two and two and two. He he and I became friends because he had an airstream at pe Congrove RV Park for years, and I went out to his place in Horseshoe Bay, which he ended up living there because he was an LA guy, still doing the game shows and all that. And he was as he was aging, he was hot, he was older than you think like, he just looked great. And he was hired to do endorsements to pitch a development in Horseshoe Bay for retirees sense and he fell went out there and fell in love with it. And his place was on LBJ. It was a town home where on the bottom level you'd go down the stairs and you were in a garage with his bass boat race on the water, and he would go out fishing every morning. First thing.
Speaker 1: That was his thing, that was his piece.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine that going downstairs and getting in a bass boat.
Speaker 1: And that's pretty cool. I mean, chuck. He could hook a bass with one hand and light a cigarette with the other.
Speaker 2: He had his own line of lures and stuff.
Speaker 1: Really him, It's a good life. It's The JB and Sandy Show. Thanks for being with us. You can join us every day. It's the one hour version The JB and Sandy Show, seven until eight o'clock. Missus Austin's eighties station one O three point one