Speaker 1: It's Nightside on WBS Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Nicole. I hope you have a great weekend. Is that near Buffalo? It doesn't ring a bell man. I understand the NBA wants to expand worldwide, but to put a couple of teams on the road to go to Avid Abu Dhabi, I don't know. I don't know. They must be selling a lot of jerseys over there or something like that. My name is Dan Ray. If you want to buy a nightside jersey or a nightside T shirt, or for that matter, a nightside sweatshirt with fall coming on, just go to nightside gear dot com. Our stuff, which is produced by our friends at College Hype, is incredibly attractive, trust me, it's really and there's also great quality. There's a there are a great community business in Dorchester. They they've been very cooperative and helpful with us. And this month being breast cancer Awareness Monk, we will be giving away some pink breast cancer T shirts, special night Side breast Cancer t shirts to mention to make people keep the whole concept and the problem with breast cancer in the forefront of their minds. But that's for later on. Now we're going to do our nightside news update. Rob Brooks is back in the control room. No phone calls until nine o'clock, everybody, I think you know the rule, by all the rules. By now we will talk with an expert about the long shoreman's strike. I hope it's okay still to say the International long Showman's Association, because that is indeed what they are called. Apparently has reached an agreement, but I think the agreement is much more of like, let's suspend it until June fifteenth. We'll talk about that, and we'll also talk tonight about the impact of Hurricane Helene. And I don't know how many of you are listening right now who are down there in that neck of the woods, if there's even any power. We're going to talk with the representative of a group called the Massachusetts Task Force One. We have people from mass who sits on the ground urban Search and Rescue team. Over two hundred and twenty people have died as a result of this storm, and most of those were not in Florida, but they were in places like Georgia and North Carolina and some of the communities that were devastated. We'll get to all of that as the evening goes on again. My name's Dan Ram, the host of the show. I get to sit here every Monday through Friday night from eight until midnighte and we get to talk with interesting people. We're going to start off with a very interesting person who I kind of discovered, I think last earlier this year, Kathy Albert. I don't hope you're not offended by that, Kathy, but Kathy is the president of the New England Postcard Club. Welcome back, Kathy.
Speaker 3: How are you all fine? Thanks Dan, Thanks for having me. It's great to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think this is this your third or fourth time with us here And I forget how we met, whether you sent an email to me or something. But I never realized the number of people in New England who were interested in collecting trading postcards. Postcards from hundreds, not hundreds of years ago, but postcards from decade wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah it is, and you have under there.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Well let's see, Well postcards were around in what the eighteen nineties, Well.
Speaker 3: They started in Europe in the late nineteenth century, but then they came over to the United States and it only cost a penny to send a postcard and they had.
Speaker 2: Really but you couldn't put them in an envelope, right, You had to write your little note in the back. Yeah, I have postcards from that era, and I know you make postcards.
Speaker 3: When they first came out, you couldn't write, You couldn't write a message on the back of the postcard. The one side of the postcard was for the address and the other side just to the picture. So people started scrawling a little messages on the bottom of the picture, and they eventually realized they're going to have to create a divided postcard and have the message on one side of the the blank side and the dress on the other, so the picture was remained intact and didn't have writing all over it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you represent a group of people who are very diverse in terms of their collection. Some people collect postcards generally. Some people have sort of sub specialties. They only want train postcards, or they want postcards about the state of Massachusetts or a town in Massachusetts. Explain how that works.
Speaker 3: Well, Actually, the most popular kind of postcard I think for the people that I'm working with right now are they call them view postcards, and they have them for every town. Like, for example, there's one fellow in our group who lives in Newton and he collects Newton postcards and he has a huge collection of Newton postcards. And he still hasn't gotten over to the what's the name of historical society there in Newton where they've got they've got a huge postcard collection over there, I guess.
Speaker 2: But now and I know that there were people who collect baseball park postcards, which is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, baseball player, Yeah. I mean, it's just whatever your interest, there's a postcard for that. But like I said, these you postcards, people come in and there's a box this is Massachusetts on it, and you can just slip through it and you can look for your town and you can find, you know, library at high school the way it looked a hundred years ago. It's really cool.
Speaker 2: The other thing that I think is interesting is that this seem there is still postcards sold, uh in circulation. You go into certain stores and you can find postcards. I don't know that hotels and motels still make postcards available, but I can remember traveling young when I was younger, there was always a stack of you know, five or six postcards in the draw of the death hotel, of the motel, and you could send that you could use that and have to put a stamp on it. Obviously, has has that lost some of its popularity with with with not only people who are travelers, but people who provide them lodging and inns and bed and breakfasts and hotels and hotels.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that one of the one of the things I collect are hotels and motels and restaurants, and I have a lot of a lot of those from New York City, for example. But yeah, I mean there are people people collect postcards of hotels the way they looked one hundred years ago or fifty years ago, and you know, the interior, or some of them have beautiful murals. There's just there's so many different kinds of postcards, just mind boggling.
Speaker 2: I hope you find someone who collects postcards of Boston television personalities. I had a lot of postcards that I nailed serious. Oh oh yeah, we still have them, by the way, I do.
Speaker 3: I have entertainers and I do have I have you know, old things from like w W was it w NAC or was that a TV station?
Speaker 2: Well that was a TV it was also a radio station that would have been sort of in the in the circuit time of circuit nineteen forties and nineteen fifties.
Speaker 5: I was, yeah, those are using that.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 2: A lot of people will. So let's talk about this. Sunday, October sixth, two days from now, you're having another big postcard meeting. Is this an annual event or semi annual? How are you describing this event on Sunday?
Speaker 3: Well, this is actually sort of a more of a of a club meeting. We're going to have a meeting where we'll tell people sort of what we're all about. People can sign up and join, and you know, well.
Speaker 2: You've done a couple, You've done a couple of these type you've done a couple of these meetings. I went over to one which which was a year.
Speaker 3: Last super was first one that was in March, and that was a show and we had thanks to you and the Globe, we had three hundred people there. It was wild. But this one I expect to be smaller. We're going to have a meeting and then we'll have you know, half a dozen postcard dealers selling selling stuff. After the meeting, people can go down and buy things.
Speaker 6: Great people, and.
Speaker 2: We're about tell us where, tell us where, and tell us how they can, and well, obviously if they know where it's it's from ten to three on Sunday. So people have.
Speaker 3: The Fellman Museum of Jampson Postal History. It's on the campus of the Regis College in Western It's really easy to get to. It's right off with thirty, which is right off the s Pike.
Speaker 2: It's a great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were great to tell me about Ron Potosi who is also a postcard person, and he listened Wisconsin and he's joined our facebook page. We have we have one hundred and fifty people now on our Facebook page, the New England Postcard Club Facebook page.
Speaker 2: Right listener out in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, So hopefully he's listening tonight. So this is Sunday people. You don't have to register, there's no cost. You just show up right and you're going to auction off absolutely postcards. You're going to auction off that box. How many postcards are going to be in that box?
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know, about five hundred. It's hard to tell. But you know we're gonna somebody somebody. A lot of people donate postcards to us, so we're going to be selling those really inexpensively. But then somebody else who is liquiding your condition her not condition her collection. Yeah, she's liquidating in that and she gave us a box of postcards to auction off and she'll get the money.
Speaker 2: Kathy, thank you very much. Is there there is a website on Facebook, the New England Postcard Club that's easy to find as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a Facebook group. It's a Facebook group. We don't have a website yet. We're hoping to set one up, but.
Speaker 2: Go on Facebook and you went to New England Postcard Club in.
Speaker 3: The in the search bar and action in the group section. But we're going to have another one of these meetings in December and then we'll have our annual show again in March.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, this is an ongoing activity and I'd like to think that I was one of the founding fathers of this group, because.
Speaker 3: You absolutely were. You made it happen man. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Then please say hi to everybody. I will not be there on Sunday, but I'll probably be able to stop buy in March. Okay, we'll talk again. Thanks.
Speaker 3: Oh, that would be great. We'll look forward to that. Thanks so much. Have a great weekend. Dan, Thank you very welcome.
Speaker 2: Thank you. When we get back, we are going to talk about a very serious issue. Postcards are fun. We're going to talk about domestic Violence Awareness Month and an empowering message for survivors of domestic violence. We'll be speaking with Laura Frombach. She's a technologist and domestic violence survivors. She's also a co author a book called Street Smart Safety, Your Guide to Defensive Living. Stay with us a great guest coming up back on nights Side. This is Boston's news Radio. My name is Dan Ray, host of nights I'd heard every Monday through Friday night right here on WBZ ten thirty the Am Dial Boston.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray, live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: October is domestic Violence Awareness Month, and there are a lot of causes that are highlighted in various months. It's not as if it's the only cause. However, I can't think of one that's more important, particularly for anyone who has a daughter, or a niece, or a mom or an aunt. Empowering message for survivors Laura Frombach. Laura, you are a domestic violence survivor yourself, and it says that you're a technologist. I understand what a domestic violence survivor is. What is a technologist.
Speaker 4: A technologist is somebody who is in love with technology, and I've worked in technology all my career over thirty years with large company small companies.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I knew that, but I was wondering if your work as a technologist had any relationship to the subject at hand. So you could have said that you were a lawyer and a domestic violence survivor or whatever. So now I just wanted to clear that up. You're also the co author of a book called Street Smart Safety, Your Guide to Defensive Living. Now is that book related to domestic violence or is it? Is it a basically a book that provides broader recommendations how people, men and women can remain safe.
Speaker 4: It does both, Dan. It provides those recommendations that you just talked about, but we also talk about domestic violence and more importantly, how to recognize the patterns of domestic violence earlier in the relationship, because it doesn't happen in a vacuum. There are signs that people everyone can look for if they know what they're looking for while they're dating.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about some of those signs. What are the signs that I guess men and women, but primarily women. I mean, there are men who suffer from domestic violence that I don't want to downplay that, you know that problem, but most men, most victims of domestic violence in our society are women. I believe these statistics would support that. So let's talk about it from the point of view of women. You begin into a dating relationship, what are some of the warning signs that people should begin to say?
Speaker 4: On the first date, even you can start to see some of those signs because domestic violence and abuse is all about power and control. So if somebody starts to order for you, if you want to leave, and they say, well just one more, I mean, how many of us haven't heard that those are actually signs not only that somebody might be interested in you, but that they're trying to control you. And when you say oh, okay, you're showing them that you can actually be controlled.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me play Devil's advocate for a second. Let's assume a couple of years in a great time, they really have hit it off. It's a blind date, first date, they got up through they got set up to a dating system with through some friends and the you know, one of them has to work the next morning. I'm really work early. There they got to They're on the call at six am in the morning, and the other person doesn't realize that, Well, let's just have one more. You know, we're having a good time. Can you distinguish between that sort of g I'm really enjoying your company, it's only you know, nine thirty. Do we have to leave that early? Maybe not knowing that the other person really does, you know, have to be at work at six am? How do you distinguish that? Right?
Speaker 4: You can distinguish it by the fact that one to establish, Hey, you know what, I am having a great time and I would stay, but I really have to go. Does that other person respect that and say, you know what, I respect that. We can do it again?
Speaker 2: Makes a lot of sense, makes a lot of sense. Some other signs should like to share with our audience. I feel free, go right ahead.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, could you repeat that place I said?
Speaker 2: I said other than someone and maybe on the first daid being I mean, obviously, if someone tries to order for you in the first aid, if they take you to a restaurant, and they say, look, believe it or not, this place has the best fill in the blank. Have you been here before. That's a different approach as opposed to go to a restaurant and say, Okay, I'm going to order for you. We're you're gonna have a burger and fries, or you're gonna have spaghetti and meatballs. You know, that's a different, different thing. But if you're somewhere at a restaurant that the person is trying to be polite. Give us some other signs that women should see early on in relationships or even later on in relationships that maybe people don't pick up on as quickly as they should.
Speaker 4: Well. The other identifying factor in domestic abuse and violence is isolation. So does that person try to get you away from your family and friends to constantly criticize your family and friends and say, oh, that person's telling you this or this person doesn't want you to do that, and try to get you so that they have you all to themselves, because domestic violence is a situation of isolation, so that that person is the only person that in your orbit, really and another sign is financial control. Do they try to get you to move in with them and do they try to gain control of your finances slowly but surely, because sometimes it's quickly, but other times it's very slowly, so that the woman might not even recognize that it's happening. But you know, in those cases, your friends and family can be very very helpful to you and say, you know what, this person, this guy boy, I hardly ever see you anymore. And you know, in relationships, it's natural that people want to be together. But when you want to go out for you know, girls' night out and he doesn't want you to go out and you know, threatened you even or or gives you the silent treatment when you get back, you know, those are all red flags.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting because it's so tough when you're you know, developing in relationships with someone who who you might be attracted be attracted to, and sometimes it's tough for anyone. You know, just just figuring out compatibility is uh is difficult. It is difficult alone. And then when you have on top of it, what percentage And I'm sure there's not a percentage that you can pick out of the air for us, but what percentage of and we're talking young men here, people we could be talking out of others, But you know, men who are active on the dating scene, what percentage of them do you think are people who have the potential to inflict or engage in domestic violence? I mean, amongst the people who I know, I can't think of anyone who who I would have identified as someone who is like that. A wide variety of personage. But is there is there a sentges that we can put on this or no.
Speaker 4: I would say first of all that domestic violence and abuse, first of all, women considered very shameful. If they've been a victim, I will tell you. And that's interesting that you just said that, because I know every woman that I know has been a victim at some point in their life, and so it's interesting that so many women know victims. But none of us, myself included, except for my family, would classify anyone, any guy I know, as an abuser. So you know, it's a situation that goes on behind closed doors, and we never really know, you know, what's behind a happy facade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I understand that that is true. No one knows what goes on inside a marriage. Laura, thanks very much again the book that you wrote, which is interesting and should be available. The book book. The book the name of it is street Smart Safety. Is that's been out for a while.
Speaker 4: I suspect yes, Street Smart Safety for Women, Your Guide to Defensive Living is available on Amazon. It's available in books and Noble, Barnes, and I'm sorry Barnes and Noble and wherever books are sold.
Speaker 2: And I would suspect that it wouldn't be a bad book for men to buy buy as well, even though it is entire absolutely smart safety for women. Okay, fair enough, Laura appreciates you taking the time. And again, I hope that people realize that there's no reason to bully someone and never any reason to strike for men to strike a woman, because I think that any guy that is actually going to strike a woman is at his core an absolute coward. And I believe that I'm a kind of old fashioned, but that's what I believe. Thanks, Laura appreciates your call.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much. Dan, having great weekend.
Speaker 2: All right, you two, Well we get up. We're going to talk about a very interesting trend that is going to surprise you about people who are in great shape, particularly young people who suffer heart attacks. We're going to talk with a cardiologist about the some of the theories behind this. And I don't know much about this, but I just wonder if maybe some people are carrying the ability to stay in shape and get super fit to the point that they're actually abusing their heart. We'll talk with doctor Fammi Fara right after the break and after the news at the bottom of the air. My name is Dan Ray. It's a Friday night or nightside. We're heading a Saturday morning.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get right back at it. I'm delighted to be doing joined by cardiologists doctor Fammi Fara. I hope I've pronounced your name correctly, Doctor Fara.
Speaker 3: It's Sarah.
Speaker 2: Okay. If I wasn't close, let me get it right. What is how's the pronunciation?
Speaker 5: It's sector Fammi Farah, Fammi.
Speaker 2: Farah okay, fine, okay, I made it a soft a. It's a fair farah. Okay. You're a cardiologist and a board certified invasive cardiologist, and there's an alarming rate rise of super fit swim young people suffering heart attacks as experts prevail theories for the surge. So the question is When you think about people having heart attacks, as a rule, you think about older people, and you think about maybe older people who are carrying around a few too many pounds, maybe in over people who are obviously overweight. The opposite of that, you would think, is this group who are young and and in great shape. What's going on.
Speaker 5: I think it's a result of multiple different things. I know that data that come out recently shows that over the course of the last five years the rate of heart attack has gone up by almost forty one percent between that age group, a young population between twenty five to forty three age and the reasons it could beat the COVID virus it self that had caused some damage to the vascular system. I think there's more than one reason, though I do believe stress is a factor. More and more people are stressed out for various reasons. Job related schedule is not as great, people not sleeping well. Sleep is now considered a major risk factor by the American heresitiation. Also, a lot of people who are fit and Jim Gores may be taking exogenists, you know, storage such as disosterone shots, which are very common and very popular. Right now. They have Distoston shots as centers. I don't know how well regulated these are, but the reason they bring this up is because there is an inherent risk of increased cardiovascular events as a result of disosterone shots, so that could be playing a role as well.
Speaker 2: Well. Why would I assume you're talking to young men in that situation. If I'm wrong, please correct me. But why would a young man who is working out and who is in obviously good physical condition, why would they even think about testosterone shots. I mean, I understand that there are people who have certain medical conditions later in life and they may need to have a testosterone shot, But if you're a twenty five year old guy who's in a gym and you're in good shape, I would think you got all the testosterone that you need. Educate me if you will.
Speaker 5: You're absolutely correct. It's mind boggling to think that a young male would take testosteron shots. But believe it or not, I am talking about the young population, and yes, testostian shots have become very popular among young groups, not because they're low on testosterone, but because it's a very popular item to use for jim doors. For example, a lot of you know, personal trainers, they encourage them because it helps build muscle, so it is an exogynous steroid. It is something that helps people who are trying to build muscle, and you know, like it beats things up, and so it has become a very popular thing to you among young young folks.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if you use testosterone shots to build up your your muscle fiber so you can you can press or lift a little more than you could. You're going to have to keep doing that or that testosteroe. You just kind of like take the shots. Once you start taking them and relying them, you've got to stick with them, I assume if you want to maintain where.
Speaker 3: You are correct, that is correct.
Speaker 5: And it also has many side effects. You know, one of the most feared one of course, is the increased risk of cardiovascular disease and events like heart attack. And but also you're right, like when you're giving something that you don't need, it does mess with their entire hormone system. The access that creates natural hormone kind of gets messed up a little bit, like it doesn't have that natural feedback system anymore, and so you can't really abruptly stop it, and when you do, it can have a lot of detrimental impact, and of course taking it will have the same effect. It can affect all organ systems, including your cardiovascular you know, your urological system, so it can have a wide impact on your whole body.
Speaker 2: At what point should people who really want to take care of their heart. I know that cancer and heart disease are the two primary killers in this country. Cancer Obviously, you no can do blood screening tests for cancer. I'm sure you're familiar with those, and obviously going to your personal care physician, your PCP, they can do all sorts of tests and they can spot heart problems. Are we getting to the point where people who have the time and the financial support that people at a certain age men, maybe at one point women and another should incorporate a cardiologist into their annual medical tests and routine.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I totally agree with that, and I'm a big proponent of preventative medicine. As you know, Yes, cardiovascent disease is the number one killer for both men and women here in the United States, but it is also a very preventable disease. Eighty percent of it is preventable if you come seek help on time. So yes, for those who have risk factors such as high blood pressure, hig cholesterol, diabetes, you know, people who smoke, people who have a family history of cart disease. They are encouraged to seek help early on, at least get an evaluation by cardiologists. Just make sure that everything's are paying.
Speaker 2: Is there a you know what I'm saying, is is there a time frame when people hit you know, we talk about cancer screening, and we talk about prostate exams, we talk about breast breast examinations, mimographies for women. Is there, in your experience a period of time in regular people's lives. You know, if someone gets identified as having a problem in an annual physical when they're thirty five or forty, obviously, but is there a point in time when people of a certain age, men and women should not only be talking to their doctors about, you know, cardiac health, but should actually push to have you know, have a car cardiology special cardiologist check on them every two or three or four years. What what's the what is the best theory? It sounds like someone's beeping a hornets you're here, you okay, I'm good?
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, you know when it comes to you. You brought up a very good point actually, like for example, for cancer, like you know, there are certain age groups where we have specific time, like you know you get your mammogram for kolonoscopy at certain age you go get your screening klonoscopy, and that can prevent that thing. Unfortunately, there's not a defined age group for cardiovascular screening that's defined for all age group that, yes, at this age you're going to go and get your heart checked.
Speaker 4: That doesn't exist.
Speaker 5: In my opinion, it should. We do have things where we screen for risk factors during certain age groups, like you know, for example, your lab work early lab work where we're getting your cholesterol checked of course every time you go to the doctor's office blood pressure is being checked, and diabetes. But aside from those like actual true cardiovascular screening and specific parti at testing, No, there's not a defined age group that regardless of where you're at this age, you're going to go and get your heart check. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist, and that is something that we need.
Speaker 3: To work on.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe we can start a conversation. Thank you so much for your time tonight on a Friday night, doctor Farah, and love to have you back periodically. Just to emphasize to people what clearly should be obvious, and that is the importance of their heart health. Thank you so much for your time this evening.
Speaker 5: Thank you, it's my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Okay, when we get back, we have one more eight o'clock guest for this week for you. And this is besides being Domestic Violence Awareness Month, amongst others, there's also National Energy Awareness Month, and we have some easy ways that my listeners can reduce their energy uses. If you've looked at your energy bills lately, I hope you're sitting down. They're all going up, and they're going up at rates that are much faster, in my opinion, than inflation. And we're going to talk with an expert and energy expert and inventor of what's called wand free. I'll explain, uh, well that's unrelated to energy, but that's okay. We'll talk to you about that as well. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios. I'm Dumbs News Radio.
Speaker 2: All I want to welcome Cindy Bray. Cindy's an energy expert and this is the National Energy Awareness Month. Cindy, I guess you've got to be able to tell us why our bills are so high and maybe what we can do to reduce them. I keep a good record of how much I pay every month year to year, and also how much my killowatt hour my energy usage is, and no matter how hard I try, the numbers keep going up. And what's going on? Going on?
Speaker 6: What is going on?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: We all have that question, and I think in Massachusetts you are well over the national average for your energy rates. I commend you on tracking your your usage, but yep, there's a lot going on, and our energy bills just keep rising.
Speaker 2: Well, Cindy, we have here in Massachusetts something that I have found to be very helpful, and that is you could go in there's a site that is actually run by I think by the call Off of Massachusetts in which will tell you that if you you're what the various energy deals that are being offered. And that is a way in which I've been able to really keep my energy bill more under control. Now you got to do it every two or three months just to see where the with the per you know, therm or poer kill, what our prices have gone up. Which is a wonderful tool. It was actually it's been around here in Massachusetts about a thirty for about thirty years at guess one. The state of Massachusetts, including the Attorney General's Office here, which is normally a big advocate for things like this, they're trying to pull it down, pull that website down. Are you where that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: No, I wasn't. But I can give you some really easy tips on how you can pull down your energy bill when you're doing your laundry. Right, So we're going to focus in the laundry room because about ten percent of your energy bill goes to doing laundry, which is a lot, right, Okay, sure, and we've all got to do our laundry. It's never ending as we're going into.
Speaker 4: The weekends of that. Yeah, right, So what do we do?
Speaker 2: What do we do?
Speaker 6: Yeah? So the first thing I'm going to have you do is go to your washing machine and turn the temperature of the water down to cold. The washing machine itself is a pretty efficient appliance. Most of the energy that you use when you're using the washing machine is actually going to heat the water. So turn the temperature down to cold, and don't worry that your clothes aren't coming out clean because a lot of the detergent on the market these days is actually formulated to work best in cold water. And here's another bonus. All your clothes and your sheets, everything is going to last a lot longer if you wash it in cold water.
Speaker 2: Well that I did not realize when I think about it. You know, native populations all around the world have always washed clothes in river water, and has ever been better be warmed up. I always noticed on my machine that if you wash whites, you know, they have different whites or colors, And I do know how to run a washing machine. If you wash whites, the default level is much warmer than if you were washing colors. And I always thought about that was what you want to get the whites a little cleaner. You don't want the colors to run with with overly hot water. So it's more than that what you're telling me.
Speaker 6: Here's what I try it. Use cold water. If you're worried about your whites, put in a little bit of oxy, a little oxy bleach, oxy clean, and with your whites cold water.
Speaker 4: It's good enough for most loads.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: And when you use cold water, you don't have to sort as much either, So that's another bonus.
Speaker 2: Okay, and what about the drying elements. You know, I try to, like during the nice weather, I will open up doors and hang things on doors to try to let them. You know, in the old days, when I was a kid, my mother had had there was, you know, a laundry line and clothes pins. Because I have no idea what clothes pins are. And I'm serious, I mean, let let mother know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's almost most efficient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's almost it's like shameful now that if you don't have a wash and a dryer. And I think a lot of people feel or they don't want to hang their laundry, even like things like towels. What's you know, I could see when maybe people don't want to hang their underwear out in the line. I get that, okay, but but what's wrong with hanging your towels? Having a clothes line and hanging towels. Has that just fallen out of vogue here in New England or is that around the country.
Speaker 6: I think a lot of people don't even have access to a clothes line. Or perhaps it's rainy, or it's cold, or wildfires, allergens in the air, all of those things get in your in your clothes and some of the some of the neighborhoods actually have a covenant that you can't have a clothes line outside.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because those are your fancies, fancy neighborhoods. And it seems to me, if it's your land and it's your property, uh, and you want to put up a clothes line, I don't know, it's it's uh.
Speaker 6: I'm with you because well it's something that I grew up with.
Speaker 2: And now we didn't in the richest part of town, trust me on that. And the lots were small, they were like, you know, eighth of the eighth of an acre watt, but everybody had a clothesline. And I mean, well it got a couple of more tips here. We got about a minute left.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So my biggest tip for you is going to be when you are doing your sheets.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 6: You know how they twist and they tangle and they ball up. So when that happens in the washing machine, they don't come out very clean. They can send a washer off balance, and then when they ball up in the dryer. In Massachusetts, you are paying on average a dollar fifteen per hour in energy costs alone just to run the average dryer. So when your sheets ball up and don't come out dry and you have to run the dryer again and again, it's really annoying. But it's also really wasteful. And that's why I invent into the solution. It's called wad Free for bed sheets, and it prevents your sheets from wadding up in the washing.
Speaker 2: Machine real and the dry here, real quickly. Here is that a liquid that you that you pour in during the wash or no, no, no no, you throw into the dryer when you put the sheets.
Speaker 6: No no, no, no, no, neither one. It is a reusable made in the US, a laundry gadget that attaches to each sheet in the load that comes to in a package. So it's enough for both a flat and a fitted sheet. Okay, it goes. It attaches to the four corners. It keeps the sheets separate so they come out cleaner and they drive sweat.
Speaker 2: Out of time. Thirty seconds goes very quickly. How can people find that? What's what's the website?
Speaker 6: Wadfree dot com is the best place order from that small business.
Speaker 2: That's I got it. I got a locomotive train coming at me. It's called the nine o'clock News I don't mean to be rude.
Speaker 4: Goys.
Speaker 2: Wadfree Cindy Bray, thanks and Amazon much. All right, thanks, you got that in. Thanks Cindy, I appreciate it. Talk soon. Okay, here comes to nine o'clock news on night side. We're going to be talking about the long shoreman's strike, which is no longer a strike. I don't even know what it is. I think it's like a suspended work stoppage which could resume on January fifteenth. We'll work it out, work it all out for you. On the other side of the nine o'clock News