Speaker 1: A lot of funds of edom national self interest and an individual loss.
Speaker 2: This is the show, all right, everybody, welcome to your one book show on this Monday evening.
Speaker 3: It's eight pm here.
Speaker 2: On the East Coast. Hope everybody had a a good Monday. Hopefully you did not look at your portfolios. Uh, and it was a pretty brutal out there, all right. I'm I'm really happy to have with me today Uncle Gate, who I think everybody knows but is the chief philosophy officer at the Iron Rand Institute and super busy.
Speaker 3: So it's it's a it's a real treat to have him on.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: So welcome Uncle, Hey, you're good to be here.
Speaker 2: So I thought we'd with with your assessment of of kind of where we are with with Trump and kind of how bad has it been relative to your expectations. I know, I know we both were pretty negative or very negative on on on this on Trump generally, but I think I was particularly this term. I thought it would be much worse than the previous one and then but he's exceeded my He's worse than I even thought he would be. And I'm wondering how how you how you feel about it? And then I'd like to talk about where you think we're going from here.
Speaker 1: It's about what I expected. I think it's in some ways the immigration thing is worse than I thought it would be, in the sense of how much it seems they want to project power and the So I actually don't even think Trump's that interested in deporting people, but it is. He knows that it plays to the base, and he's willing to play that up. But the people he's appointed, I think, are much more. They want to just wield the power. They want to kick people out to show that they have the power to kick people out. I even think they want to do it a little bit, pushing the boundaries of the law or even flouting the law. They want to show that they can do that. So I have a pretty negative assessment of what's happening with the immigration and part of just what's happening, but part of it's he's surrounded himself in comparison to the first administration, I think, with more power lusters than the and that's bad, but it's part of I mean, it's part of what was so bad about him that he pushes out the better people in the Republican Party and you get the worse people who want who much more want to be there. I think you still had in the first administration. I don't know when you think about this, but there were people who thought like they have some responsibility to keep this guy in check. And it's kind of he's a child and you've got to humor him a bit. But there are a lot of stories that I think there were various individuals who thought they had to do that, and we're trying to do that, however successfully and whether it's fully sincerely or there's a bit they liked the limelight and power as well, but there was much more that I.
Speaker 2: Think that.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know John Bolton a little bit. I met him before he took the position with Trump, and he was quite negative about Trump. But he was like, yeah, but if he offered me something, I would do it because it would be an opportunity and and I could mitigate some the bad I don't think he did. I think his book later on really reflected that. But yeah, it's funny because I was in where was I It was somewhere maybe I was in London, and Joel Bolton walked into the walked into the the club I was at I was one of these British airways, a club thing, and sat not far from me, and I don't think you remembered who I was, but I went up and said I just went up and said, you know, just thank you for the work you're doing. I know how much you know, how much negativity is around it, And he seemed to appreciate that. So I thought, given what's going on in the world, you know, it's good to boost the better people. But yeah, I definitely think that's the case. In the first admission. The number of people the Easy Economics team I think was there with the idea, and there was that guy who published that up ed the New York Times about with the adults in the room, and we're tried keep keep saying, there are no adults in the room this time. Yeah, they complete the complete accolades. What do you think about I mean, one of the things that holifies me is, yeah, I think the people he's appointed on the immigration issue really really bad. But part of what holifies me is that the the the people on the ground, the people actually uh you know, applying these this to the immigrants. There seems to be a significant number of them that are just cool and nasty and you know, really enjoying the little power lusters, really enjoying inflicting this on people. And that's scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm my view has been for a long time, and it's partly just through the experience with the US government. I think the immigration officials that sort of that, like the average person who's manning these booths or but who would join ice there, it attracts really bad people. I don't think every person is bad. And some people think of it as yeah, I'm here try to find people carrying drugs and stop the gangs from coming in. But too many people It's just this is an opportunity to wield power over people, and this is like way predates Trump. I've told this story to some people before I made it that, like, I'm not allowed to talk. My wife does not allow me to talk to Immigration Border Control anymore because I too many of them. They just want power the when I so, I'm a pretty patient person. But the we have a green card that says keep your card in its sleeve, and I had to You used to before it's all automated. You used to have to give it to the person, and it was why is your card in the sleeve? You have to take your car up. So next time I take it out, why is your card out of the sleeve. It's supposed to be in the sleeve. And the third time this happened, I just and the idea that it's a job to stop people from working, Like my job is to stop people from working, to try to figure out if they're trying to work in the US and if they are, to go after him, and like, how can I attract somebody who thinks, yeah, that's a productive activity stop other people from working. So it attracts the kind of person who, yeah, like I like to tell people what to do, and I like to have them this power over me. And the other thing for the immigrant, which you're seeing now that it's it's a kind of no man's land where you don't have any recourse. You can't call a lawyer, you can't use your phone. I've been once pulled out of the line, and it is scary because they have a ton of power and you have no recour or you can't get like you can't go back to your country, you can't go into the US, you can't call a lawyer, you can't use your phone and now they're seizing all the electronics. Often it's yeah, so it in comparison like to say, to be a government teacher, which that's a legitimate job. It shouldn't be run by the government. There's so much here that's not legitimate at all, and it has to attract people who want to wheeld their legitimate power.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And you know this idea of sending sending people to a jail in in a Salvador, and you know, they're rounding people up and they don't get quite the people they want, so they just round people up because they just need to fill the numbers.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's really scary that they are Americans that are gleefully doing this kind of work. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And when you read about why they're being shipped to Louisiana, it seems like it's basically two things. One, it's they think they'll get friends or judges when they can, but it's also deliberately to keep them away from lawyers. I was watching one story. It's not just in Louisiana, it's like upstate Louisiana. It's one hundred miles or something from it that a lawyer has to drive. They see it client like one hundred miles and has to drive back, and they're doing it deliberately to make it really hard for them to have representation, and that that if you're the government can do this to pretty powerless people, it should. Like I was talking to someone this week about this, that our government is supposed to function by permission. It's not the one wielding authority doing whatever it wants. And even if you don't care about immigration, even if you think which I do think like some of these people are gang members, not all, and I have no confidence they have any idea what they're doing in trying. I mean, if you're using tattoos as your primary form of identitification, then it is you're gonna catch all kinds of people who don't belong. But there are some. But the idea that like the government can wield this kind of unchecked power, should any American who thinks, yeah, we're supposed to have a government of laws and it's supposed to function by permission. Not it gives us orders. We give it orders. It can't function, it can't keep people away from layers, and it can't function in this way.
Speaker 2: What's the system of him going after the University's Columbia and now and now Harvard.
Speaker 1: There's a sliver of legitimacy to it, I think, but it's uh, yeah, it's not done in a legitimate way. The the the guys that it's under anti semitism one that that that's what we're fighting is we have to make them toe the line. I don't think that's what's actually going There's a kind of punishment involved, which is which is like, that's why it's bad. There's a punishment. These are the liberal elites who opposed us so and now we're going to go after them, if for the anti semitism, if they deported or to took away the visas approvals and then deported some Jewish people and Jewish looking people who were involved in the protest on the on the sort of pro Palestinian pro Hamas side, if they said we're getting rid of them, I'd have more sympathy to maybe like what they what they really want to go after is the people who are pro Hamas. But it's too much again that it is these the people they're going after will play in the media, that is, it will be there are people from Turkey or whatever, and they look like they could be the terrorist or like what sort of the average American could think? Yeah, versus a Jewish student who was involved in the protest help organizing these protests in front, They wouldn't. I don't think they would dare. The way they would put it is the optics will be so bad. That's one of the revealing in the in the uh what is it? The Defense secretaries they I don't know if you read the whole the all the the messages, but they were very concerned about how the optics of this will play. Yes, and it's got to be in spades for what's happening with the universities, So I could so I can't take seriously that what they're actually going after pro hamas people. And then and then yeah, and then they're trying to get significant control over the universities and the programs and so on that. Yeah, I can't. I don't know what you think. I can't see it as it's properly motivated.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it's properly motivated. Yeah, it's again, but it's it's it's getting it's it's throwing beef to their MAGA supporters, who uh, and it's and it's a it's an attempt, I think, and Kusu Rufo said wrote something about, you know, we're going to use the levels of power to bring our ideas and everything to the forefront. We want to take I mean, if he had his way, they would take over the universities. They can't because they don't have the people to replace the existing professors, so all they can do is really harass the universities at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's the impression I have. The most plausible one, I think was Columbia. That there were real problems in what Columbia was doing. But from what I know about Harvard and a little bit I know some people who are working on this kind of thing, it's Harvard is made or at least tried to make some real changes about how they're running things and how it's going on. So the idea that they're not they're sort of uncooperative is not true as well. It's plausible to me. So the stories that came out that this was a draft that was sent by accident to Harvard, I believe that again that kind so I don't have so the kind of view that this is some there are masterminds behind all of this, I don't have that view. I do think there are people from heritage and so on who are involved in really trying to strategize what to do, but I don't think they're masterminds either. So I think there's a lot of screw ups. The going after the DEI things seems to be there's a fair amount of we're just doing searches and if DEI shows up. There's been people in some so I'm in the greater like Washington area of the d m V who have said, HM, they were government employees who were forced to go to the who didn't want were forced to go to d I training and because they're on the list of the training, they got fired. They didn't And but I believe, like how because there's no way they can go with the speed and know what they're doing, So they have to have all kinds of shortcuts and they're gonna catch including people who are against the Yah, you're gonna kick out.
Speaker 2: And they don't care. I mean, that's the other thing they don't care about screwing up, That is they don't care if innocent people get caught up. It really doesn't bother them. So so, so what do you think this this is heading I mean, I mean, it's Trump going to become a dictator? Is is this heading towards authoritarianism in the in the short run? I mean, how is there going to be a constitutional you think crisis where the Supreme Court says something and he just ignores them.
Speaker 1: I'd be surprised if it's would be that black and white. There will be the continuous pushing of the boundaries. So of what happened with the immigrant at least what seems toff happened with the immigration of a flight is mid air and the judge rules something and they then they say, well, no, it's outside of airspace, so we can't call it back, so we're not defying the order, but the order doesn't apply anymore. I think there will be a lot of things like that, including that you've got to return this person who's sent to Al Salvador and it's sort of but what was the Supreme Court? You have to facilitate their return, and then it's, oh, well, the dictator inl Salvador doesn't want to return it, so what are we going to do? Like if it was Zelenski, you would berat him in the office, but here it's oh, it's convenient if he says he doesn't want to return to this person, so we'll say, like, what can we do. I think it'll be a lot there. I mean, there already is that, and there'll be that continuously. I'd be surprised if it's openly defiant that it's ah, they passed, there's oh no, we're just not following that versus oh yeah, we're trying to facilitate it, but we can't. That's what I expect. So that is a kind of crisis, but it's much more a crisis of thinking of it as the whole operation of government. So here if we had not just boot liquors, it would be there would be pushback in Trump's own party against him. That there was a little bit in regard to Terras, but pathetically little given out of it, and the destructive to terrorists are That's the to me, the much the why we're more than drifting towards authority. It's much more that Congress will go along with everything. That then that it's going to be the court versus the executive. There's that tension for sure, And as I said, they're going to try to push the envelope and and try to sort of skirt the meaning in the letter of the law and say, oh no, but the letter of the law, we can't do this. But for Congress it's and this has been long standing. It's Trump wants people who will just do what he says. And if you saw.
Speaker 2: The senator him Alaska saying, she basically said, yeah, we're fraid of him. We're petrified of him. We won't we're not speaking up, she said, me and my colleagues. And she's one of the ones that have voted against him a few times, so she's one of the more courageous. And yet she says nobody else, nobody else, Uh, we'll do it. People are complaining about your audio. Do you have a mike? Is it my connection?
Speaker 1: Let me let me try some once in a while. The it resets the sound, so let me just check. Mum.
Speaker 2: It seems like it's peaking.
Speaker 1: Oh, it seems like it's so I need to lower the gain. Okay, So it was set to what it normally is set to. Okay, how's that? Does that sound any different to you?
Speaker 2: I think it's a little better. Yeah, let's see how it. Let's I guess.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know what's going on. This is what I normally use.
Speaker 2: So so yeah, so Congress is just going to go along with the president. The court will probably fight back. You don't think he's going to actually tell the quote. No, I'm not going to do what you tell me, although Magas seems to be calling for that A lot is a lot of in social media, in particular people writing ignore the courts, ignore the quotes.
Speaker 3: So where do you think this goes?
Speaker 2: I mean, is this just setting up the next administration and the future administrations for even more authoritarianism. Is it going to be gradual and over slowly developing.
Speaker 1: That's I think the likely outcome, and I'll say something about that. But on the other hand, if we get old crisis, so if we get a financial crisis from the tariffs, the claim for emergency powers I think will come, will come and again. So my view of Trump is he's not power hungry, so he's too lazy. I really think that he's too lazy to be power hungry. He's prestige hungry. He likes to be the spot like and he likes the appearance of being tough, but he doesn't actually want to be tough. It's too much work. The most revealing thing for me in this second term, but it fits completely what he was I think in the first administration was with the list of pardons, there was a sort of I don't know if it was a challenging or friendly reporter, but it was. He was sort of Trump, you pardoned this guy and he's not like his records, not just January sixth, And why did you parton? And now he was Trump that wouldn't really, I wouldn't parton somebody like that. I'll have to look into it. And the guy pre but you did pardon, and you gave him by and you gave him a full Parton's and and then Trump said, I don't have time to read a thousand things of what, So he has no idea who he parted. And I really believe that, I mean, I believe all the stories that he will only read the first page and you've got to put the points the first three bullets. So a list of a thousand or whatever people to partner, there's no way he looked at it. And he accuses Biden of this, but I think partly he accuses Biden because he does exactly the same and he knows like he thinks he can get Biden and people can't get him on this because he'll just admit, yeah, who can read that much? And somebody power hungry would It's not that that's not Putin. For instance, Putin would know some of the details and would be going after someone. So I don't think he's power hungry, and that's relevant. I think for what is happening. If there's some emergencies, he'll be pushed to you need to declare an emergency and get emergency power, and then they help. People around him will want to wield that emergency power. So I think the more likely thing is that it's just continuing down the road to the administration. But if we got a financial crisis, a crisis I mean partly as a result of Trump's policies, then I could see it getting worse more and quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you were just in Germany and you went to the Duco concentration camp, and any lessons we can I mean, it's the rise of the Nazis in Germany any parallel to what's going on in the United States. Obviously this is the ominous Powerless Lennard's book, But but you know, are the powerless to what's going on right now? How do you see the dissimilarities and the differences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So every time the Nazis are brought up, people think of it as that the last card to draw and you can't do it. And it's true, like this the Nazis and sort of the final solution is so horrific that if that's what, Oh, we're like one step away from the Nazis and massive concentration camps. I don't think that. But the rise of the Nazis is interesting for many reasons. You're talking about the ominous perils, that is, talking about the whole intellectual climate that was necessary for their rise, and that you have to see it as a century and more in the making. I mean century in Germany with Kanton Hegel, or a century and more, but going back even further than that into the nature and ideas and philosophy. Another aspect of it is there's a way people can hold it as you've got some crazy aber like who knows where they came from, how it happened, and they just quickly seized power. So that's not what happened. And I think one of the things, so this is part of my asking you are. I think asking like, what's going to happen if when we get the next administration or the next people in the Republican Party. For me, the most important thing because I have a certain view of Trump. As I said, I don't think of him as his craving power, but I do think there are people around him or cra I think the most important thing is that all these people it's the end of their political career. I would put Rubio gnome jd vance that once Trump is gone, it that they cannot get voted into power. There's too many in the country. You will say, no, these were bootleckers, boot liquors. They would they would basically sell their soul. And I mean that's my view of Rubio when you see him on camera with with Zelenski, it's the it's he knows he's sold his soul yea, and what like I've I've now got to play that card in effect or or play that persona. But it's so I think that's the for me, the most important I would never vote for any of them ever, no matter what policies they put forth, even if it sounds good, it was if you're willing to sell your soul then you're you're basically willing to do anything. And then again that like that's the difference that we were talking about between the first administration and the second. There were people around who thought, yeah, maybe I have to stay around to try to restrain Trump and so, and you have now the people who want to enable him or use him to get their policy and the that's I think really dangerous and it is. Yeah, I have such a negative view of those people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, differentiate between Rubio and Vance.
Speaker 2: Ruby. I think is kind of power hungry and he's sold his soul and he knows it. He looks miserable. Vance, I think is he knows what he wants. He I mean, he's he's he is all in. He he does. I don't think he feels like he sold his soul. This is his soul, right, this, this is exactly what he wants. He is.
Speaker 3: He's a real authoritarian.
Speaker 2: I mean, he calls himself a Christian conservative and I think a Christian nationalist and I think he really is a nationalist in that sense. He's given that speech about America is not an idea, it's a people in a place, right. So he's a he's a blood and soil nationalist. And he scares me. I don't think he's he can win, but I think but he's but who knows in three years? I mean, he he scares me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with yeah, So yeah, I don't. I don't think they've all sold her soul, because, as you said, that is his soul. Rubio I had in the the I mean before Trump won in twenty and sixteen and before he got the nomination. I thought of the field the Republicans were, that the people vying for to be the nominee for their party for the presidential election, Rubio was the most American that he seemed to actually believe that the story of immigration in America, of what the Cuban immigrants have done and their right to flee Cuba and then build something, and it's right for America to be open to them, and that he can reverse in the way that he has and the way like a whitewashing Veniceul because we want to send people back to there, and so all that is the that that's what I think of his part is selling his soul, and that the I think an American, normal American should be really turned off by that. I think they will. Yeah. I so I think I might might be wrong, but yeah, I think Vance doesn't can't have the support that Trump has, and I think Rubio couldn't unless he really could somehow explain. Yeah, I'm like, I'm changing course again now. I've I've met or sort of known someone who's known Rubio for a long time and says like, this is Rubio six point zero, that it's he changes his tune all the time, so, which is certainly possible. But yeah, so it's the people around him Trump now that I think it's very important that this be the apex of their political career. And when Trump's gone, They're gone. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know how it happens, given how much Magan and Trump control the Republican Party. Now, it just seems like this is the Republican Party for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And a lot will depend on if they face any real opposition, that is opposition that the sort of people who are concerned about the authoritarianism and actually like America could feel I could vote for this person against these more power hungry people. But if you feel someone like Kamala Harris or Hillary Clinton, who's another power I think is a power luster. Then it's yeah, then I can see events being elected, but not if you had someone like Obama. I think that people I still think he would win. I might have been wrong about that, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think he wered. Of course, when he was president, we thought it can't get any worse than this guy. Yeah, and then it really did.
Speaker 3: Now we miss Obama. That's pretty scary.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 2: Let me tell my wife, every time Obama would come on TV, she'd turned a TV and she couldn't she couldn't hear him.
Speaker 3: She just got physically ill.
Speaker 2: And and now after Trump, it's like she's saying, yeah, I could listen to Obama all day as compitter this guy.
Speaker 3: So let's let's pivot and.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about some of the work we do at the Institute, particularly, you know, the focus I think is now on on and has been for a long time, on developing intellectuals and expanding.
Speaker 3: The realm of intellectuals.
Speaker 2: What's the sense what's the sense that you know, we've talked about we need lots of intellectuals. Why do you think that is so important? What is the importance of having a significant number of intellectual voices out there.
Speaker 3: From the objectives' perspective.
Speaker 1: I still find when I go out into the I don't know what the right way to put it, so the more mainstream world or something like that, it shocking how hemmed in people are by their conventional categories and way of looking at the world, and that how alien the sort of Einran's ideas. The objectivist philosophy still is alien in the sense that they've never heard of this. It's not something they've considered and rejected or found wanting. It's still they've never heard of you like this, And the only way they're going to hear it is if there's more and more intellectuals in the culture, and intellectually I'm using in a broad term, in a broad way, not so it doesn't that I don't mean just sort of the leading intellectuals or the most recognized public intellectuals or anything like that, just that they encounter it some of these ideas in their high school in the college classroom. But again, it doesn't have to be like the superstar at the at the university or even at the high school. It's just they get some more exposure to this in a serious way and this is I was telling you before the show that I just did a guest appearance in a Harvard business class. So that's part of how I think of it, as it like, this is the mainstream. It's the mainstream in academia, but it's not some and it wasn't some professor who's like way outside and everybody of the mainstream people think he's crazy or as strange views or something. And the guest appearance because it's a class where they look at influential people across like not just in business, like a wide range of influential people and think that it seems at least sort of two angles on it in what way if they did did these people change the world? So like what's their impact? And then what did they have to do to have that impact? Including like what did they have to do to have the career they had? What kind of dedication today? So it's it's and so it's looking at I rand as having an impact on the culture and then what was like what did she do to do that? And like what's for instance, what's the significant's that she wrote both fiction and nonfiction? Is that keda understanding part of her impact? It's all and the class. So these are obviously smart, uh and and dedicated students by and large, I would say like much more than just the bare majority didn't really know much about iron Rand. And what they've heard is the various kind of critics and conventional takes on iron Rant. So that you've got and then and then on the ideas it was I and I still I mean, I've encountered as often, but the I mean often to understated that everybody's selfish and that you can think that and really like you're at Harvard and you can think that. It like it's sort of yeah, everybody, but what you can't take it to too much of an extreme. But everybody is like sort of partly selfish, and they have no idea what like what that means how to think about that. They don't really believe it, because they'll say something different ten minutes later and it comes as news to them that, you know, and Ren's challenging the whole way you think about selfishness and the and I mean one of the good things is so both two of us at the institute, myself and Alan, did guest appearances in the class, and we've pushed you can get on Rend's books for free from us, and the professor wrote back that one of them is starting reading The fountain Head and part but this is part of what the interesting the reaction is. This book's really good. He was one hundred pages in. It's like nothing I've read before. Why didn't I get this in high school or college? Yep, Like I took a guest appearance of someone from an I ran institute that I'm sure they never heard of, and yeah, I could get afraid. That's how I got. And that is there's gotta be so many people still like that that this was if you had people in high school recommend not even if not teaching it to the whole class, but recommending it to students who think he thinks like this might have an impact and so on. And I mean, we need that in thousands and thousands and thousands of times over. And that means you have to have thousands and thousands and thousands of people in schools, in universities who are doing this, as I say, like they don't have to be the leaders in the field, but are introducing students and just young minds to a new way of looking at things. And it's easy when you're immersed in I random objectivism to think everybody's heard of this, it's still I mean, it's better and work we've done at the Institute of work we did when you were here in leading institute has so they're for sure more people than twenty five years ago, but still it's small compared to what it could be and needs to be.
Speaker 2: And it's not just that they don't know any And it's that I find that they're thinking is so conventional. They're all they're objections to capitalism or the objections to egoism, just the conventional stuff.
Speaker 3: There's no there's nothing.
Speaker 2: They live within very narrow bounds of what they're exposed to in terms of ideas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I mean, I find that it's one of the reasons I was interested in philosophy. And it's still for people who are unphilosophic. This is part of when I categorize someone as unphilosophic. And it doesn't mean bad, doesn't mean stupid, but it just means they're content with the categories they've been offered. Yep, And a philosophic person has some inkling and then finds it really interesting when someone said and I'm man says is over and over and over again. The categories you're using, you can't think with these, they're wrong and you need different categories. And a philosophic person to me perks up when they hear that, and it is really like, there's a whole different way of looking at things than the way I've been looking at or looking at it, or have been taught to look at it, and that it's what iron Rand did. But part of the work of intellectuals is to hammer that in because it's so difficult to do, and there's many people who are won't do it, even like some exposure to iron Rand, won't do it unless it's really pushed, and part of the work of the intellectuals is to say no. Like, what she's doing is she's rethinking selfishness, and you can't think of it in the way you're doing it. It's not selfishness doesn't come automatically. That's not the way the right way to think about it. You've i mean, one of the ways that I often put it when I'm explaining it to relatively new people. Most people's selfishness is it's easy and bad, and her view is it's hard and good yep, and like that's so it's it's like a very different perspective. And as I say that, a philosophic person finds that really interesting. But there will be many features people in the culture. And again it doesn't mean they're bad who just can't do that, won't do the work unless they're getting it in their education. Of that it's really forcing them to do it. But that's like you need teachers and intellectuals doing that work over and over again. And if you don't have that, it's then what you'll have of the conventional views are conventional for a reason. And part of the reason is this is what the educational system gives them, and that's all they'll work with. And unless you get like a big change in the educational system, it will just repeat itself. And it's the intellectuals who have to change the intellect the educational system. Nobody else is going to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's it's also the intellectuals and the media and the podcast they listen to, and you know, everywhere they go they get the same range of views and they think that is all that exists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the because ein Rand is out still comparatively outside of the mainstream. They both have conventional views and then they've succumbed to conventional views of Inrant. But again I still find it I shouldn't, but I still find it shocking that if you're dealing with bought the level sort of the intellectual and achievement level, I think the people buy and large you get into Harvard, I've seen more of Stanford and like the people at Stanford or the students at Stanford, like they're really smart and achievement oriented and so on that. So one of the things that came up was that Einran just glorifies the rich and glorifies business. And I brought up in the in the whatever fifteen twenty minutes of remarks that I had time to do of well, that's when if you look at at the straw and like the major villains are businessmen and rich in it, it's and it's they haven't even read it. And no one's like, mate that how can you have a view of Inrand if you haven't read it? And they like, how do you know that this is going? And again like that's they would need to be challenged in the educational system like you and pritically if you know that iin rand is sort of she's a controversial figure. You can't just take for granted that people told you, well, she loves anybody who's rich and hates anybody who's poor, so that must be your view. But like that's you. Real teachers and educators would push them, like how do you have a view if you haven't even read at the shrug, But it's they're not encouraged to do that. And I mean, if you want better people, better educated, somebody has to do the educated. And if it's always just you're blaming the schools, but nobody's going in and saying like I'm going to do it different or I'm going to do it better, how do you expect things are going to change? And this is why the you don't need thousands of mine rants, but you need thousands of people who are really teaching her ideas and worldview in such a way that you'll have students and especially the better students, actually engaging with it versus even And again I don't think it was ill motivated at all. It's just part of this is how they've been They've been trained with the conventional categories, and they've been trained that this is what Iran stands for and so and they have not been encouraged to really probe preticting for controversial figures. So I felt sad for the student, not oh my god, like how could they be like, But it's just, yeah, you think your education is not serving you if you're being given all this conventional stuff and you're not really encouraged. And I'm not putting like this professor. I think it's good that he's bringing Iran in and so on, and it's he seemed to of the people I've heard serve have been some of the case studies. It seemed fairly wide ranging, and that was good. But when you're looking at the students, I don't get the sense they've really been pushed in their whole education. And that's a tragedy.
Speaker 2: And there's something in the culture, particularly in the online culture, of everybody has an opinion, right. You don't have to know anything about the topic, but you have an opinion about it, and you can be actually, really really have strong opinions about things you know nothing about, and people get rewarded for that in the culture, you know, and podcasts and with following on.
Speaker 3: Twitter and places like that.
Speaker 2: And I think that's become much more of a part of the culture. Maybe it was always there, but they didn't have a venue by which to articulate their ignorance.
Speaker 3: But now since they've got some way to write about.
Speaker 2: It, you see it everyway, people expressing opinions about things they know nothing about.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's yeah. I again, I don't know how much it's changed versus it's much more visible now, But there has to be some element that has changed in that it's easy to think of yourself as yeah, I'm an expert because I've googled four things, and and so this this was another aspect that I just thought in terms of thinking skills, really somebody Harvard it. So there were two things that that just shocked me that there wasn't more pushback in the class in regard to this. And again it's just I think this is the educational system. So one was buying into the story that ein Rand doesn't care about didn't care about her family, and so so this is in some of the biographies, this is like really trumpeted, and they couldn't nobody brought up that, well, she's writing to her family in the Soviet Union, and it might be dangerous to do that, and she's like one of the most fierce anti communists and being connected to her, like might that be a problem for people left back? And again like they're at Harvard, so they have to know something about Yeah, this to Iran Iranian dissidents, this kind of thing happens, or even just like Russia now it happens. If you're critical of Putin, you have to worry what if you're going back or if your family's like some awareness that regimes take it out on the families of the of people who are outspoken and outspoken critics, Like it doesn't cross your mind, like that might be that she's not like super published. She might be trying to get her family out, but she's not super public about it, and so like it can't even occur to a question of like maybe it's something like that is going on it, But it was just no, it's like obvious that she couldn't set her families. So I told them that, and I told him that, you know, there would be a reason for and you could see that for some of them it was yeah, that could make sense, but that it it couldn't occur. And then that you have that for a controversial figure, and I want to put it like that, a controversial figure not I Ran specifically that biographies of a controversial figure you should think are very difficult to do. That You're going to find people who hate that person and you're going to find people who love them that person, and you have to be suspicious of both, I think, and you have to think, like, how do you really get to to the to think you've got a reliable biography. I didn't do it in this class, but in one other class, because we've done this class a few times now, I brought up, uh, like, imagine the person who likes you the least wrote your biography for you wrote your would you like, how accurate do you think it would be? Everybody rely on it and so And when you put it in those terms, it was, yeah, like, there's some people that really don't like me, and there I wouldn't think that biography. And I said, well, like iin, RAN's a very polarizing figure and she had people who loved her people who hated her. Having a biography that you can't just think, well, there's a biography, so it's probably accurate or something like that. But again that they don't have the tools to think again, not to have the answer, but just to have a question about Yeah, a controversial figure. It's probably hard to find the biography that is good.
Speaker 2: To what extent do you think it's important to know to have an objective read on iron RAN's life in order to gain an appreciation for a philosophy.
Speaker 1: I think it would be interesting steem to know it. So I used to be so so to put the cards onto it. I'm not very interested in Iran's personal life, personal history. Just I'm not interested in I don't think she was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, and.
Speaker 1: I think that's it's very relevant for thinking of her end. And she said of we the living, this is as close to an autobiography as I'm going to write. She wouldn't she wouldn't be interested in writing an autobiography. And what it is is it captures I think, her spirit and her way of facing the world, not the concrete details of her life. So like Kira, I think, is a young heinrand In. Not that Iman wanted to build bridges and so on. But if you can abstract, yeah, in spirit and that's what interested her, and that's that interests me. But you can get that from Einran's work. You don't need all the personal details of it, and I do so I think more than I used to think that it's relevant to think about her personal life from the point of view that she said she was living her philosophy, and so how is this actually working? I mean part of the after that, the shrug, the whatever about the author, I forget what that section is and my life comes down to I mean it. And she says something like, I've used the ideas that it's not like I'm telling people to be selfish, but I think I shouldn't be selfish and wasn't selfish? No, no, she thinks I was selfish, and so it is relevant to think of that, but I don't think we have access to it. So the in the sense that these are personal details, and unless you knew her well, and I think like are a good judge of people, a good judge of character, then you don't really know what was going on with her, like that she was depressed after out the drug. What did that mean exactly? What was the nature? There's a way in which I can imagine it of the cultural reception and of thinking, yeah, the culture's more bankrupt than I thought it was, and that's pretty depressed, Like I can understand, but part of the way it's portrayed I have trouble believing it was in that form that she sort of the reaction after at the drug because in some ways she had to know this because she's writing out of the drug, so she like she has a view of the state of the culture and and she says like this is ten years or something down the road. So I think what shocked her really is that she had no defenders, not that the culture. And but that's very different then the way it would be put as all the cultures. She didn't get good book reviews. Yeah, and she went into a depression. I don't believe. But it's really like, if I'm right about that, i'd have to know her, which I'd never met her, or know someone who I really have confidence in their judgment. I don't know many people like that. So it's just for me, it's just it's no accessible. So it's interesting but not accessible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean to me, it seemed like the disappointment would be the no intellectuals, no philosophers got it and said oh wow, yeah, and and then no, and that the response from businessmen was there, but it was we know some of the businessmen who responded positively, and they just weren't at the caliber I think that she would have wanted and expected, and so many of them were religious and they want to give up that that and she confronted all these things that we often confront of of just this mixture of loving atlas Uk but not really getting it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that. And and I think the stories that we've seen some of that, I mean after her death, of people who would compliment or praise her in private but wouldn't do it in public.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I think that would really bother her because it's that's a straight moral issue. It's a it's a kind of cowardice and't that and that you can't just it's not they're not smart enough to get this or see that. It's it's and it's so not her that it I mean, she's so courageous that there's nobody who, even if they see it, have the courage to say it that. Yeah, that I can so I can understand that. And I think given the just the artistic achievement that it is at the shrugged yep, that nobody can recognize that and again it's not all like the vast swaths of people, but that some other minds that can really see this and will say it that I can imagine of having a kind of impact that is, that I can imagine that shocking her. It's if you if you think of it in terms of her kind of artistic vision, it's Whyden's reaction to Rarc, and it's it's he should try to crush Roarc, and he sort of halfheartedly tries, but he can't bring him to because he can see the level of achievement that is, and it is, Yeah, like I have to recognize this. And and I think she thought there'll be some people minds like that, and that she didn't get that that's gonna.
Speaker 2: Be particularly particularly given it from what I've you know, can't you aware this? But or maybe Leonard said this. She she couldn't conceive of her self as a genius, so she thought, Okay, well, they have to be other really really smart people out there who will get this. She couldn't quite conceive of how far ahead of everybody else she was. And if I could see her disappointed in the fact that there would people like her out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it's gotta be. I mean, my guess would be it's more than just genius. So because I'm sympathetic, it's not like there's one genius in the world. It's that I don't think she fully grasped or probably or at least at this point, of how rare a positive philosophic genius is. And she she comments on this later when she's writing the non fiction of how it's like she used the metaphor how a few lions have gone into the field of philosophy, they've left it for the losers in the fact, And I mean she called Kant the kind of idiot savan so that there's an element of like real powerful mind there, but not it's not a positive orientation. And her view is it's not like Kant and Aristotle are on the same level. A positive genius is just so much to achieve. It's just so much more than to use your genius to destroy that you're not you're not in the same galaxy, so that it it's so rare. And I don't think that she was took philosophy as sort of everybody thinks philosophic, like how could you not? And so I think Projecting a genius that doesn't think philosophically is hard for her. I mean, she makes a she's aware of it. In the end, she makes this kind of comment about Einstein. It was clearly genius, but she puts it only so conventional once he gets outside of science. And it's but that I think would have been so alien to her that it's hard to project. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because even even the geniuses, the villains in her novels, you know, they deal with philosophy. They might they might be evil about it, but they're not ignorant of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the Pot like her Pot. I mean, it's part of what her heroes are too. But I mean Rearan's not a philosopher, but in comparison, like he's so philosophical and and that's like, yeah, so that she didn't there's nobody who could understand philosophically what she's doing. That I think it was hard for her to understand and to project. I mean she came to see it was true, but the project that yeah, there can be some genius level minds, but they're so conventional yeap philosophically, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, this would be great. Let's uh, we've got a bunch of questions, so it's uh, it's start digging into those. You guys can still ask questions, so uh, but let's start with Wes.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Wes uncle.
Speaker 2: Is there an aspect of philosophy you enjoy talking about or studying more than others?
Speaker 1: Yes, I've been broadly speaking, I'm most interested in morality. I'm most interested in talking to people about it. It's most of what I think about when I'm thinking about philosophy. In part, well, in part it's just I would put it, I'm a moralist first and foremost like that's it was what my attraction to philosophy was attraction to Iron Rand. It was when I first read Iinrand. My reaction, in effect, if not in so many words, was this, a person takes morality more seriously than I do, and I took it seriously. So it was like, that's the impression she made on me, and that at the shrug made on me. So it's been it's my interest from the start into philosophy. But part of it is Iran thinks of morality for good or bad, as having causal power. That so that understand people's actions at an individual level, to understand the way cultures work. To understand something like the Trump administration, you have to think in moral terms about what is happening. I mean part of what we were talking about earlier about that there's an element of now of people who've sold their souls around him versus what there was before. That's thinking in moral terms of what is the dynamic between him and the people he surrounded himself with and so on, And that most people don't think of morality as having a causal impact, and that I think they just missed so much of what's going on in reality because of that. So that's the area that I'm most interested in and think a lot about what I'll be talking about. An oatcome likely will touch on some aspects of this.
Speaker 2: Let's see Evan.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: This relates to something I said earlier at the two PM show. YB mentioned that Cannice Owen and so on maybe suffering from acute stupidity annoinsanity. I'm used the skeptical of blaming things on stupidity, but in recent years I'm wondering if this is a real problem. And I'll just say what I mean by stupidity is not that she has some innate inability, you know, her mind. You know, she's she's she's got a low IQ or something like that. What I mean by stupidity is she's not using whatever she has. That that that she has embraced a pattern of non thought. Uh. That is that makes her stupid. That the divorces are from the facts of reality. Divorces are from being able to see real causes. I don't know if you saw her latest thing about uh, you know, NASA and uh and space. Uh, just a Satanic conspiracy. But but here's a lion there was. There was really amazing, right, she says, it really is, you know, from the Church of Satan or whatever, because the whole purpose.
Speaker 3: Is to make us believe in man.
Speaker 2: And she's right, you know, but it's it's so she doesn't believe in the moon landing. She says, how could they call? She said, how could they call back to Earth? There were no cell phones back then. So that's proof that it's a conspiracy. I mean, you.
Speaker 3: Gotta laugh at how stupid it is.
Speaker 2: But it's again, she's not she's she doesn't have she I don't know how small or not she is, but that is just a mind that's gone. It's it's been so corrupted by non facts and and uh and by evasion, evasion, evasion, evasion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I've stopped even looking at.
Speaker 2: I told everybody today, I said, now I do candice on corners like things for entertainment. There's no would beyond the point of criticizing, you know, the fact that this represents the right to something like that.
Speaker 3: Now it's just so stupid. It's just entertainment.
Speaker 2: So Andrew asks, why is it rational to be selfish?
Speaker 1: Because it's the essence of morality. So the the selfishness just means the pursuit in moral terms, it means the pursuit of one's self interest, of one's life, of one's happiness. And that that the whole perspective in objectivism is where do values come from. They come from the fact that you're a living thing that has to reach certain goals to stay alive, to maintain yourself in the existence, to maintain yourself in the world, and to prosper in the world. So the whole dedication to selfishness is a dedication to what's in your self interest, what will enable you to thrive in the world. And from that perspective, what rationality is for human beings, our minds, our ability to think is our way to thrive in the world. So like, what is it? Why is it rational to be selfish? Because that's the goal that you need to reach and thinking it's your means to reach it.
Speaker 2: Ye, Tom says here Flonka and you on millions should be tuning in.
Speaker 3: Yes, they should be.
Speaker 2: Uh It say says for income as a professional jazz a guitarist, educata, how can I apply objectivist principles to evaluate improvised music or music without lyrics? Are the objectivist resources beyond the Romantic Manifesto?
Speaker 1: Not that I know of. So I know there's other objectivists who are thinking about music how it works. I don't know of anybody's I haven't looked at anyone's work in enough detail to have firsthand knowledge or first hand view of it. But I would say this is a very difficult field. And when you read what Iran's hypothesis is in the Romantic Manifesto about how music works, it's a it's a rich but complex hypothesis about how it's worked. And she says it would require the integration of different fields and what's happening in different fields and that integration is different. It would be difficult if you had good people in those fields to try to think of the integration of the physiology of sound and sound of so the whole auditory system and the way the mind works, of values and emotions work. It's it's so this it's a difficult thing to even have a hypothesis about. So it's not like if someone spent but half a year working and then they can figure it out. This is a is a I think like a would be a lifetime project and even then, like there's a real possibility of failure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think, he asks, I mean, now the objectives beensible to valuate and provide music and music without lyrics, I don't think they are in existence, and they might be principles one day. They wouldn't be objectivists because they wouldn't be an advanced but they would be. They would be at some point somebody will come up with principles to be able to value in the fact that it doesn't have lyrics is what makes it challenging. Maybe, but it doesn't rule it out. And although even lyrics, how do you evaluate objectively? The quality of lyrics is a hard enough thing even within you know, within prose. So the whole field of aesthetics is way underdeveloped. I'm kind I've talked about this in the past, way underdeveloped in terms of the principles.
Speaker 3: Ironman is giving us a great.
Speaker 2: Blueprint for literature mostly, but there's still a lot of work for the other arts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's a way to take both what she's saying and sort of the field of aesthetics as much simpler than it actually is. So one people thing they take for mine rand which is not right, and music is part of the concrete of why it can't be right. That are representational. What it's supposed to do is represent, Yeah, represent the world, but represent doesn't mean sort of you you want a copy of it. Part of this sound is you're not trying to copy what bird songs are or things like that. It is the part of her hypothesis is it's a creation of a new mental entity, and you have to think a lot about that. But it's not like we're trying to reproduce something we heard or something like that. And so just to think of it in those terms, it's difficult to think about what that means. And music is not a thing that copies in the way one might think of painting as copying your visual world. I don't think that, in the end is one painting does either, But it's more plausible to think, well, that's something that what it's doing, but that's not what music is doing.
Speaker 2: Michael asks, I think an organized protest in Boston this okon makes sense for a movement to build a witness and stand up to the constitutional crisis thoughts and organized process protest.
Speaker 1: For most protests, it's an issue of numbers. I'm skeptical of protests in general, but for them to have some impact, it's an issue of numbers, and we're not going to get numbers that will impress anybody. And if we did some these small kinds of protests where they block a bridge or something like that, if we did that, people should rightly look at it as there's got to be some being wrong with you and your viewpoint. If you think like I can stop everybody if from going to and fro by taking over a bridge or something like that, that's how you get media coverage. But or real Americans should think there's something wrong with you if you think you have that power to stop everybody else. So I agree that we should be arguing these issues, but physical protests is not an argument we should be drawing attention to these kinds of issues. I don't think it's legitimate to do it by protest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michael thinks we can get five thousand people out and that that would create a sture. But even five thousand is not that much, and I doubt we could. Yeah, I doubt we could get five thousand people. Doodle Bunny usually asks obnoxious questions, so he says, why should we keep going if they couldn't even stop a clown like Trump? It shows objectivism has no influence in the culture, And whose fault is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I don't think of it at all like that. I don't. I don't think any small movement you're gonna think what they could do is impact the presidential election. That would be true of movements and groups on the so called left. They don't have a small a viewpoint that still has not that many adherents. What's gonna happen is not Yeah, they're gonna impact the presidential election. So if that were one standard, like I will only give to things our only support causes that I think can have that kind of impact. Then you can only support things that are relatively mainstream, because it's only the things that are relatively mainstream that could have make that kind of difference. I think of it as we're an organization with a longer term mission, and it has to be a longer term mission because yeah, we eventually want to see these ideas have real cultural impact and changing the direction of the culture. But that can't happen in five years or of ten years, Like you can't what I was talking about earlier about how even students who are potentially interested in these ideas haven't been exposed to them. It's on how are you going to have an impact on how they're going to vote in five years when they don't know anything even about these ideas, And so the real work, but it has to be long term because it's you slowly get the ideas more and more into the educational system. And I think compared to twenty years ago, for sure, iron Rand and the ideas have more prominence than they had, but there's still nowhere close to having the kind of cultural impact that one anybody who thinks the ideas are true hopes that they will have in the future, but it's not like the near future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and as we said, you need thousands of intellectuals if you do, if you do a just the math on what that will entail in terms of how many people you have to get to to get thousand of intellectuals, and how long you have to train them and get them out there and for them to get any kind of reasonable job and reasonable influenced this is you know, many, many, many decades. This is not This is not something that happens in the show run. Eric says in the chat ninety years since Anthem, Yeah, you know, it probably takes a couple of centuries. This is not This is not something that happens quickly, and particularly given how revolutionary objectivism really is in a sense.
Speaker 3: Of it's rethinking everything.
Speaker 2: It's not about politics, this particular issue in politics. It's about the way you think about politics from the ground up. We think about politics completely differently than everybody else, and it's going to take a long time to make that change in the culture in terms of how people think about these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and my view of this kind of thing is you try to do it as quickly as you can. And it might be true that in the modern world, with modern technology, modern education, the way ideas can spread that it can happen more quickly, but when you have to have at least as a grain of salt that historically there's never been a rapid positive philosophic change they like third year or something like that. You get all these good ideas that have taken over. It just it doesn't happen like that. And I think there's a reason why it doesn't happen. It's harder to build than it is to destroy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can think of Thomas Aquinas to the creation of America as one lengthy intellectual movement of being Aristotle back to the West.
Speaker 3: That's five hundred years.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 1: Six hundred years, yeah, five hundred plus.
Speaker 3: So it's all right, moulten splendor.
Speaker 2: Why are the Trump magas supporters repeating the lies? Do they not know or do they not want to know the truth?
Speaker 1: Well, you have to delve into a little bit what the lies are. But I think there's a big element that they don't want to know. But this is I don't think this is there's a way that the you can single out the MAGA or the Trump supporters or Trump's base, however you want to think about it as there's some incredible aberration and that nobody else is liked this. I really do think we live in a tribal age. Part of what the Trump phenomenon showed is it's more tribal than one way of thought. That that's one of the lessons that I take. If you asked this so to take some equivalent of the MAGA crowd around COVID, however you want to put it, the progressive, the left, the but just sort of the supporters of it, that all of this had to be right, and you wear a mask even when you're alone walking outside and so on, and yeah, that's it, and then you'll berate somebody else who doesn't do this, and things like really, when I'm outside, I've got to wear a mat and there's people are fifteen feet away. It's and if you think of it as it was sort of I think of that, it's exactly like Trump's space. And there's an element of the more you hammer on it, the more you don't have to think about like really, I'm saying you've got to wear a mask even like I saw people driving and find themselves or the mask on it, and it's a way of not thinking about it is sort of just repeating it and often berating other people. Like the proof of how loyal you are to it is, Look, I'm going after the pre and that's. Yeah, you don't really want to know and you don't really want to think about it. But if you think of it as just like it's the mega people who do this and nobody else does this, I think you're just not you don't really you're not really seeing the phenomenon and you're not then seeing But unfortunately it's partly it's a little more depressing. It's not just the mega people. The I don't know if because I think this is very revealing of So there were a lot of I mean, like a sizeable enough percentage of people voted in this way that AOC had to do go on like a podcast or whatever, a TikTok of people who voted for Trump and her. Yeah, and to me, that fits completely, Like I'm not surprised at all that there's a lot of voters like that, But that's they both appeal to more tribal elements in people, and yeah, so you have to I think, yes, there's a for sure, an element of their trying to convince themselves. But it's not just the mega people who do this.
Speaker 2: I just saw a graph about people's attitude towards trade by party affiliation, and so a few years ago or two years ago, basically twenty percent of Americans were supported free trade, twenty percent of Democrats, twenty percent of Republicans supported free trade. And since Trump was elected, fewer Republicans support free trade. But you know, it went down from twenty percent maybe to fifteen or ten percent something like that. But among Democrats now seventy percent of Democrats support free trade. Now you tell me that they've gone through some kind of understanding of the value of trade over the last three months that justifies them all being supported as of free trade.
Speaker 3: It's just the tribal thing. It's the anti Trump.
Speaker 2: So Trump is anti free trade, we support it.
Speaker 1: It's yeah. And they'll often because I've met unfortunately people like this who and if you point out, like haven't you just changed sides, they'll say something about trade and why globalization is good. But if you ask, is that really the reason they believe what they're saying now and they hold the position no, it so it's much more they're trying to tell themselves a story that I haven't just changed sides because my tribes changed. It's no, there's reasons for it, but those reasons aren't actually governing their thinking. And so that's the sense in which, yeah, they're pretending to themselves, not just to other people, to themselves.
Speaker 2: They're pretending, as Oham says, Douglas Murrie on Wrogan was a breath of fresh air.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you saw the Douglas Murray Dave Smith.
Speaker 1: I haven't watched. I've seen some clips from it, but I haven't watched the who.
Speaker 3: He says he's quoting Douglas Murray.
Speaker 1: I guess you can't.
Speaker 2: You can't time travel, but you can travel. It's quite easy. That's when Dave Smith admitted to never being anyway. Really, uh, do you see a pro reason coalition forming in the culture in response to the idiocy of the right and the left?
Speaker 1: No? So I think there are better individuals in on certain issues, and Murray's really good in regard to Israel and and the the pro Hamas sentiment in the West, But there's they would have to for really, you would have to coalesce around the philosophy, and they don't. So this is if you what was it that you can think of it as the sort of militant or radical atheist, and then you have the intellectual dark web. And it's again be put as well, they're responding to the whatever irrationality, mysticism, lunacy that they see all over the place and on both political sides and so on. But it's too much. What's uniting them is opposition to something. And if you ask what is it that they deeply have in common, it's not even that they have a shared understanding of rationality. Is religion rational not like belief in but that you need religion? They'll split in regard to that, they split in regard how to think about science and the pandemic, they split in regard to trumpet. And that's because there's not a shared positive vision and it's easy to relatively easy to spot irrationality. What actual rationality looks like is the much harder question. That's what objectivism is about crucial and objectivism is to have a real perspective on rationality. You have to see it not just as cognitive as but as normative, and you have to integrate your ideas and your values, and most thinkers cannot do that because they have a conventional view of values which does not inter They have some form of altruism slash utilitarism which does not integrate with reason. So you get So you're not gonna get this coalescing around a positive vision of reason governing people's thinking and action. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean we've seen it so many times, the appearance of some kind of coalition and it can't survive because, I mean, the Tea Party was an anti movement, the Selectio doc Web was an antime movement, and they just fall apart very quickly because they don't stand for anything positive. And while I love some of what Douglas movie says, we don't agree on unimportant issues, on really important issues, particularly in the positive He I think he clearly considers himself a cultural Christian, like like Dawkins, and that's a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So though I was happy to see this, I don't know if you've seen Dawkins walked back a little bit Christian. Yeah, that I probably shouldn't have. And but what's revealing, Like, I think he's right to walk it back that he didn't actually mean what he said, but he can't he doesn't know what he means that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this is the key about I'm I think I'm doing a talk.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna talk it. I think, why am I doing this?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm making our center and next week I'm doing it next week at Mechanow Center.
Speaker 3: About Western civilization.
Speaker 2: And you know the Mechanow Center, they're quite religious, and you know, the whole point of the talk is going to be, Yeah, it looks like I support Western civilization and you support Western civilization. But we're not supporting the same things.
Speaker 3: It's not the same thing.
Speaker 2: And we have to if we don't define what it is that we actually supporting, if we don't define what Western civilization is properly, then then you know, the good in Western civilization is going to die out because to them, Western civilization means Christianity. It just does.
Speaker 3: And I think to.
Speaker 2: Marii's better than that. But to a large extent from Mari, I think, and I've seen him with Holland, who thinks everything is Christianity basically, you know, support that position. I don't think he quite holds that, But I think Keith thinks that Christianity plays a huge positive role in Western civilization. And you know, we think it plays a huge negative role in Western civilizations. So, yeah, I had that at Clemson. I talked about that it Clemson and the students, very bright students, but you could see the cognitive dissonance.
Speaker 3: They just couldn't.
Speaker 2: They agreed with a lot of what I was saying. But then as soon as it came to Christianity, Western civilization is not Christian, you know.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: A real struggle for them. All the questions almost it was talk nominally was in Israel Palestine, and but almost all the questions were about Western civilization in Christianity, and it was fascinating, and the faculty were amused as well. So it was it was a conversation over dinner afterwards too. Right, Daniel says, any prediction on the future of America are we are we destined to some form of authoritarianism.
Speaker 1: I don't think we're destined. And so it's both, I think, theoretically but also practically important that one not think of it as destined.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: So Iraan was adamant. She was adamant even about how hard it is to make predictions, let alone that it's like, it's obvious that this is the only outcome that's possible, but even like to think what's likely. She thought, it's very difficult to do that, and that if there's a if you don't have evidence that this is inevitable. And again, so it is very, very very hard to have evidence that it's inevitable. That then you have to act and you have to fight. So there's a way in which if thinking, oh, like we're destined for authoritarianism, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. It's like, what can you do? So don't do anything? Like what and yes, so if nobody does anything to fight, then we are but we're not destined. It's that you've given up in effect. But so no, I do not think authoritarianism is some inevitability, but it is the way we're moving. So you need people to push against this, and there are people pushing against it. But I think particularly in the legal sphere, and it's important to support these people like I would support Again, we talked about how the Congress as that branch is caving in to the present, but I would support any congressman that I thought is just willing to sort of exxert some of the power of Congress. So some these people who said like, yeah, the president shouldn't really have the power to impose terroriffs like this, and he shouldn't. It's not clearly even does. So there's going to be legal push on that. But that that so there's things and specific people causes that you can support on it. I'm supportive of some of the organizations that are pushing back on the immigration things, for instance, and it would be crazy for them to think, well, but it's inevitable that we're going to have authoritarianism, So what's the point of.
Speaker 2: Doing this, which it says, I'm taking objectivism through Iinman's fiction and discovered I have some psychological resistance to objectivism. What guidance can you provide for introspecting that resisting resistance? He says, I'll ask Aaron.
Speaker 1: To Well, one is good to notice that if if you are really fighting the ideas for a certain reason, it's to notice, yeah, I seem to be doing this, and even if you don't know the reason, but it's like I've got some resist I don't I'm starting to see that, yeah, maybe this is right or maybe this is true, and I'm sort of resistant to go there. That's just a good thing to note. And then it's to think, what are like, why do I think I'm resistant to this? And there's there's possibilities not exhaustive, so none of these might fit. But you have to like really think about it and think, yeah, does is that what's happening? There's people who will equate a philosophy and a religion for various reasons. So I'm coming to see it's thinking yeah, I'm RAN's right about this, or this idea is true. It's am I starting to swallow a religion? And I get it? And that's not how I think of myself and and and maybe rightly and for good reasons. Like you think, yeah, I don't want to just follow along? I don't. That's not what I do. But is it? Are you following the longer? Do you actually see that it's true? And to be able to distinguish? But it's not an easy thing to distinguish. So there's people who the more it gets systematic and say, yeah, this idea makes sense and that and this they connect together. It's more like, well, am I following for a religion like I've got a system of ideas? Or it can be because modern education and culture is certainty is simplistic, so and I ran certain like what she projects is certainty. I think it's an aruncertainty. But there's an easy way to think about it, thinking, yeah, but there's got to be something wrong because someone who's this certain and it has echoes of the religious aspect, because these two things go hand in it. So you can have you can have in effect a suspicion of certain indeed that you don't really know you have, and it's sort of a need. And so you can find that I would put that you feel a kind of psychological resistance. You see, it's true, but certainty is for morons or religious types of So those are two for instance that I've seen people who yeah and you and it is yeah, but it doesn't change the fact that this idea is true and I've got to get over this. But so it's a good thing to note. And then you have to probe it and don't be like you have to really probe it. So those neither of those might be explanations for you, and then you have to think, well, what else is going on?
Speaker 2: And says I think this is to you? You said Harris called Trump a fascist without backing it up. Were you saying she shouldn't call him that or that she should have used your points.
Speaker 1: I don't remember saying that, but I I it is. It is true. I think that the the accusations of fascists are made way too easy. That is, anything they don't like will be label this is fascism, and you empty the the term one, you empty the term of meaning. But it's also what you do is the the people who are not the sort of Trump's base, but people supporting him will be disturbed by some of elements of real authoritarianism. They will be disturbed by. But if you call everything that's happening fascis, then they'll tune it out and they'll be it's all. This is just another of the people who hate him saying he's engaged in fashions. So you if you make that kind of accusation, you have to be able to explain it in detail. What do you think the fascism And if fascism is cutting government positions? Yeah, like, if that's fascism, then it loses all meaning and just thinking well that, but is fascism bad then like you can never reduce the size of government, and yeah, so it it definitely can be counterproductive, and by so much of the left, it's counterproductive of what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Not your average algorithm. I don't know how it could be that so many intelligent people can wall off a part of their mind and believe in something that a part of their mind must know is not true. A lot of people struggle with the idea that people evade and people really do.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it's a recurring question I get on these shows.
Speaker 1: I think one the more you think about the motivations involved, the more understandable that it becomes. And it's so a few things about that. It is not true that people's default motivation is that they're seeking the truth and then you have to do something to warp that, or it's most people's basic motivation is not that. This is part of the fountain Head. It's a different novel from Mineman's other novels. It's the one that's most set in a kind of just a contemporary world, a contemporary America. And you can't get from the film that the perspective is most people are seeking the truth, and no, most people are secondhanded in various kinds of ways. And it doesn't mean they're oblivious to the truth, but it's the truth's conditional, and it's on a leash. And so it's not the bold pursuit of the truth. It's y'all take that if it's convenient, not too threatening. But if it is, I will start to tune it out. And I will. And that's you have to think of it more like that. So the if you can't get if you were thinking about in regard to Trump, if you can't get the people like him for some understandable reasons, then you think that, well, the whole thing's crazy. But if you think, if you if you can get to the position of thinking, yeah, there's some pushback against woke, and people respond to that, and then if it's going to be yeah, but what he's doing with immigration and so isn't there something really troubles Well, no, he's sending back gang members and he's doing that, and it's and but it's because they still want Yeah, but he's tough on woke and then you're going after it and I want that. And if you think, well, but if you start thinking Trump has real problems, it's going to jeopardize that, then it's you sort of downplay the problems and and it's and I like, I've had many many conversations like it's yeah, it's not too good, but it's a one off case like this, and and it's and it it's starting to fudge. But you have to see this. It's motivated by something, not just oh okay, now the person okay, this is sort of blind to reality. That's not what's happening.
Speaker 2: Chris asks, I'm seeing list after list that put AOC as the most likely Democratic candidate for twenty twenty eight. How likely is an AOC versus Vance election in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I it's so I've seen some of the stories because the rallies that she and Sanders are doing and getting big crowds and so on. It's I agree with the people who think this is they're further out of touch in the sense that they think they could win a general election like this. It will be it will be a way of handing as someone like events an election if they do it. And this is like how bad the mainstream slash like leaning statists people are. So if you remember after the Trump's win in twenty sixteen, people a lot of media outlets like The New York Times, but just a lot of people who thought of themselves as the mainstream. I was like, yeah, we don't really seem to understand the country, and we probably ignored the middle of the country for so we've got to start really investigating, and they go, what is what are their grievances and why do they seem so pissed with us? And whatever? The coastal elites or how it was. I don't think when you look at that in large, that there was genuine soul searching in regard to that. There were some individuals who I think had some genuine curiosity, like why is it that these people thought Trump's better than Hillary Clinton? So, but I think the vast majority they're not interested in that, and they've showed that.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: That's really bad, Like it's a form of pretense of thinking these people maybe they had some legitimate grievance, and they do have some legit, that's the whole thing. They do have some legitimate grievances, And there was too much of a hand waving towards this. So I think there's probably particularly like the some of the crowds that were around, there's too much of a focus on Trump and his base are crazy not seen yeah, but there's so much that's crazy of what's going. I do think Trump is based are crazy, but it's not. Think it's the only thing that's crazy. And part of the way the New York Times and the Washington Post, it's own function is crazy.
Speaker 2: Michael should in generals, members of Ice, and high ranking military pussanneil be given directives to side with the Supreme Court over the President before they take those positions.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you take seriously when people what they're swearing is an oath to the Constitution, that has to mean something. And I don't think it has to mean you're you have to side with the Supreme Court or something like it. But in a division of powers system that we have, there are certain things that the court has the jurisdiction, It gets the rule, and it gets the final say. And in that sense, yes, like if a court has ruled, what an oath of the Constitution means is yeah, like the Constitution says the Supreme Court on this is you in this one has the final say and that's then so so yes, in a broader sense like it has, it has and it should have a meaning that you're swearing an all to uphold the Constitution.
Speaker 2: Part of the challenge now is that he's chosen people to those positions who you know clearly hold their alliance to Trump and not to the Constitution. Michael, have you have you done the numbers? Do you add? About? Always asking me, I guess, do you add about a thousand new subscribers per year or every six months? It really depends. Right now, I'm not adding many subscribers. I seem to be losing quite a few over Trump. I think, I mean, we're still adding small amounts. But typically I add anyway from one hundred to three hundred subscribers a month, if that's helpful. So over a year, I should add more than a thousand, and some years significantly more than a thousand. It depends if I get on a good podcast subscription go up a lot, if I get good publicity, If like now I'm mainly talking about Trump, I lose a lot of people. So it varies over time, Right, Thomas, what's the possibility that Trump's second presidency will be so bad that having JD as VP, that Trump alone will end the national conservative movement? So what's the possibility his presidency is so bad that the national conservative movement will go away.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's any possibility of that. So it might be that it's harder for it to gain power, but that's not the same as it going away. And I don't know how much Trump will be seen as representing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think you will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're trying to use him. I mean it's directions like he's trying to use them. And he has a certain kind of that that many people like this a feel like he is a people person in a certain kind of way. And so he was criticized a lot for taking events as his running mate. But I think he knew what he was doing in regards and there's a way like he's trying to use them, and there's a way they think they can use him, and how that will play out, it's much more likely I think that they're using him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that the only intellectual movement on the rights I think I think that they're gonna they dominate. That they'll they'll wolf, they'll change, they'll adapt to what Trump does, but do it. I mean, the better right, the better conservatives are being completely marginalized. I mean they they don't have any following.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's why I won't. I mean, it's an intellectual movement that's not going to go away, because even if like Trump is seen as failing and has thought of well, the failure is some because he had some connection to National Conservative That's not how an intellectual movement will go away.
Speaker 2: Does psychology need a philosophical foundation? I think objectivism would be the best philosophy with its reality based morality.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I do. Basically any science needs a philosophical foundation, but psychology in particular, because it's a specialized study of consciousness. If you don't have the basic principles about thinking about consciousness that are correct, you're going to just go completely wrong in psychology. I mean one of the most obvious ways is when you had materialism in philosophy, you had psychologic behaviorism and psychology that doesn't even think you're conscious, And yeah, you can't get anywhere if that's what. So you need a base that the philosophy is establishing. And the basic issue in philosophy is how to think about consciousness's relationship to reality, and I think objectivism's view is right in regard to that. So in that sense it would form the base of a proper psychology. R.
Speaker 2: Michael says, do the thinkers behind maga He puts thinkers in quotes think that making us less of a consumer mtualistic nation will somehow make a spiritually richer and listen, nihilistic if we don't have the option to shop an Amazon as.
Speaker 1: Much, Yes, in a certain kind of way, I do so if the so this is I think an element of what one saw in fascist movements of the a scorn of materialism, material comforts that makes people soft. So the the people who push we need national service because that is even like if we had a war, that would be the greatest thing that we could be said, But even if we have this this kind of hard where they learn some kind of like it's a bogus but learn a work ethic. And so there's an element of that that I think they actually believe it like this because it is in part what a religious mentality looks like. That people are falling in line and are doing their duty, is one way to put it, and that that they think of that as and it does have it it's spiritually bad, but it has a spiritual like this is how people should be thinking, and we need to mold people that Again that they have this kind of more obedient character where they think like it has real meaning to them of yeah, I've got to do my duty. That is an element that is that is real. It's a perverse spiritual dedication, but it is a spiritual dedication.
Speaker 2: Hupa. Campbell. I find it hard to believe less than one hundred years after the fall of Nazi Germany, we're going to do it all again. I don't think we're saying we're going to do it all again, particularly not in that.
Speaker 1: This is the conference what we just did in Berlin. I talked a little bit about this, and I think I'm gonna I mean, my talk is going to be about saving the Enlightenment, and I think I'm gonna talk some about this that it. I think that there is an element of something happening again. But if one holds it so concretely as well, what we're gonna have is concentration camps, and that it's no that to repeat history doesn't that's not what it needs to mean to repeat it, but that there's that the opposition of that's the to think of the Trump phenomena. But more broadly, I think populism around the Western world. You have to see in what they're say they're in opposition to and the plausibility of people thinking, yeah, we need someone who's gonna stand up to this. That's part I think of what's repeating, but in a different but never a similar form, And you you have to think of it like that. Of that, like you have to try to really think what gives this appeal versus just thinking these whatever, how do you want to put Trump's base maga people populist around the Western world, they're all crazy and so and one of the phenomenon I think one should take seriously, and it's something I've been thinking more about. I know people who I think of as good who have embraced these kinds of things in or in part, and so you can just just sort of brush it all away as well they're now all irrational or something like that. Are there's deeper dynamics going on, and my views it's the second. So that's part of what I want to talk about probably at o't com.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, particularly on the issue of immigration, both Qan in Europe especially. You know, your the dynamics a little different than here, but it's it's still immigration is still there's something there that people are really upset about and offended by that. I think it's still wrong, but it's not crazy. Hapah. Once intellectuals is dumbed down the population, it's a certain level. Does fascism become inevitable something we've answered that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think of it as exactly as dumbed down. But if you think of it as the intellectuals of conditioned people, yes, And that's sort of the part of what the Ominous Parallels is about. And but part of the reason I don't think of it as dumbed down is my view when you look at the twentieth century, the peal of fascism is to the more educated people. The peal of socialism is to the educated people. So Marx thought communism is gonna come in Germany, and like the leading into it's not what came. Communism goes to Russia, whether people are backward uneducated, because I don't think anybody who has some experience with the modern world can really think that if we abolish private property, everything's gonna work. Well, some person who's hasn't been educated, hasn't been in capitalism thing. Yeah, like we just took up people's property over everything's gonna work. So the fascist was, yeah, we're not going to to just take everybody's properties, we're gonna take their lives. In effect, there's still own property, but we will tell them what to do. And so that appeals to a more educated mind of thinking, well, yeah, maybe that could work. You can't just socialize everything and think and so that's the sense of which it's not. That's partly why I resist. It's the dumbing down, but it is a conditioning of people to think this could work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think as a gleatanism appeals to a certain type of person.
Speaker 3: Fascism keeps.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's higherarchy, there's a semblance of merit, but it's it's you know, so so better people at the top, and there's there's a yeah, you know, let's see mcano advice for one in their twenties drowning in melancholy for months over miss messing up a relationship, the sort of she was the one, nothing else is as good.
Speaker 1: I'd be suspicious of that conclusion that in your twenties that it's you had that one chance, then it's gone.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, yeah, I mean that's what you should be rethinking and it's odd because you're in the motion, in the motion of the breakup and the you know, uh, melancholy of all of that. But you've got to get out there and you've.
Speaker 1: Got to.
Speaker 2: There's every reason to believe that there's not one person when I'm matched up in some mystical way, to have just one person that we met We met with and uh, we.
Speaker 3: Like people for different reasons.
Speaker 2: You could find somebody else who's very different than this woman, who will be the one in in uh in a in a different way. So you've got to get over this idea that there's some it's it's almost a religious idea that you know, God has assigned you somebody, and there's no such assignment. There isn't a one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it it it the more you can have the opposite perspective, which is I was able to do it once, why can't I do it again? Yep, versus sort of, I was lucky that it happened once. It will never happen again. But if you really think of it, no, this was I was in a relationship that it was good and partly because I was good like in then yeah, you can do it again, and you can find somebody else.
Speaker 3: So we got two hours, but just tell her a bunch of questions.
Speaker 2: So hopefully okay, okay, Chris Uh. The way that Abigo Garcia's clothing and tattoos are being used as evidence of gang involvement reminds me of the West Memphis three. Are you familiar with that case?
Speaker 1: No, I mean I might, and certainly not under that name. If if maybe the description of the case, I would, it would ring a bell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me need under the name. But I agree that the using those characteristics to identify and therefore penalize him is it is a travesty.
Speaker 1: And part of what I've read about it is there it makes I still So there's an issue in a court of law what meets an evers dentury standard and so on, And it can't just be whether they've got tattoos or something like that. But but supposedly for some gangs tattoo like it really tells you something about membership, whereas for others it does it. And the part of the allegations for is for some of the gangs here it doesn't tell you affiliation, and certainly not that you'll have a lot of false positives. Maybe there's not in one direction. It tells you something, but not everybody with this tattoo is part of the gang. Even though everyone in the gang has this tattoo, not everyone who has this tattoos in the gang, and that like, that's part of what the worry is here. So that's one kind and it is the more you're trying to move quickly, you just oh, yeah, like we made a mistake. We thought it everything works like this gang, but no, there's all kinds of different gangs that work in different ways. And that's part of just the the the the sort of the atmosphere around everything the administration is doing. There's a different issue of whether you can convict someone based on tattoos with no other corroborating evidence, and that's for the courts of law to have real evidentiary standards that that can happen.
Speaker 2: And ask, how would you characterize the modern intellectual trend in epistemology.
Speaker 1: If if that doesn't if that doesn't mean like among intellectuals or something, if that means the modern trend in the ability to distinguish between faith and reason.
Speaker 2: Thomas says, I'm reading mone Rand and have lengthy, detailed questions about the philosophy. Are there any intellectuals fellows at AOI that I could email call my objective for my objectivist questions?
Speaker 1: So yes, certainly can email. That's not guarantee you'll get replies to everything, but for many of us are emails. You can find them on the website. Then we have things like Discussing Objectivism, which are I think it still is. You can drop into three. It's a kind of subscription thing for people who go to twelve fifteen of these where you're reading something by iron Rand and one of the scholars at AARI is having a session where we're talking about it and you're meet with some fellow people interested in iron Rand. So it's discussing Objectivism, and it's the first three you can just drop into for free, and then if you want to continue, it's a subscription. So that's another place like if you're really reading the stuff and I have questions, you can see in advance what the essay is and drop into one or two of those to see if you can get and.
Speaker 2: You can join AARU or you know, apply for AARU and become a student there and then you'll get a lot of these questions answered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Thomas asked.
Speaker 2: I also asked, how can I transition from altruism to selfishness and friendships. I'm in this conflict way in my initial reaction, I don't want to start a friendship because I don't want to be a servant to somebody.
Speaker 1: So the I think the important thing is to hold it as a positive, not as it I don't want to be somebody's servant. And if I've met people like this in their encounter with objectivism, of objectivism wakes them up to the fact that their relationships aren't real trades. And that's the positive. Is you want to be a trader. You should think like, I'm bringing something to this relationship. There's a reason why people would want to spend time with me, be around me, so and I should be getting something from the people I'm spending time with. So we're both gaining, we're both benefiting. The people who've been raised very in a sort of very altruistic frame where the expectation is always like you're to give, and it's often women are raised like that You're to give, other people are to receive, and so can find Yeah, I want to stop doing that and think like the solution to that is not be in relationships, but it's rather to change the nature of the relationship. It's not like withdraw and because people. I don't want to be a servant to people. It's rather try to have relationships where there's a positive like you know what you want to get from the relationship, and thinking of the other person is yeah, they should be thinking of bringing something to the relationship. And Ben fit in true too. So trade means you're both gaining.
Speaker 2: Yep, James, I think it's worth the cost for AI to take out a full page add in New York Times of Washington Post within nineteen twenty five Germany.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm skeptical, and because you need a lot of explanation for this. So part of the that OBJECTIVESM doesn't fit into any of today's camps. We're not part of any tribe and so on. There's a way in which there's so many people again, as it would be put today, that they're on the left who think of themselves as we're the ones fighting fascism, we're the ones who are telling you and no, you're the ones who have helped bringing fascism to the country. So it would that kind of ad would so easily be taken as yeah, like we're on the side of the academics, and and no, they're they're the main reason that we've got Trump, and that's part but part that to say there's some push against the elites means in significant part there's a push against the intellectuals, and that push is understandable. That's part of the issue. And if you don't see that that's part of what's going on, then you you're non understanding. I think the Trump phenomenon, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think we got that much out of the for pgads after nine eleven, and that was an easier in some ways, an easier topic to deal with then I think this is.
Speaker 1: But there's something similar in that. What I think would happened with that ad is so if you're asking, the way the reader of whatever New York Times Wall Street Journal is processing it, it would be, oh, you're like the neocons. Yep. That And even the ad we took out had some quoting of neo cons in it, And I mean, we know we're not we know where they are, but to explain that in an ad so that the person getting it will be, oh, Okay, these people are really different than the neocons. So that that's why an ad here will there will be put on a certain camp on the right. Oh, you're like the neo caay here an ad like this against that there were whatever nineteen twenty five will be put Oh, you're like the academics who are writing about fascism and they've been said they're warning about Trump and no we're not like that.
Speaker 2: Ye uh tell us say, are there any objectives courses or classes that focus on teaching polemics?
Speaker 1: Well, there's certainly an element of that in Understanding Objectivism. Of there's a section of proper versus improper Approaches to polemics. So I suspect from the question it's how to be especially effective in polemics, and there's some of that in that course, but that's more a course about how polemics can screw up your thinking because you adopt the context of what you're arguing against.
Speaker 2: And that's lenin Peaoff's Understanding Objectivism. Yes, Andrew says. Peacock claimed he created his course Objectivism through Induction as a result of frustration in failing to be able to educate rationalists. Why do you think rationalism is a popular affliction.
Speaker 1: I mean for a variety of reasons. It's a popular affliction. So teaching people abstract ideas when someone else has formed those ideas is difficult, and a short cut will seem like, well, start with the ideas and then well can talk about examples of them and maybe a little bit of where they come from. But there's a way in which that whole education like it's difficult. It's inherently difficult to do this of how to teach abstract ideas to minds that haven't yet formed them, And there's a way in which you can teach it in a way it makes it seem like, oh, the ideas are already here, and rationalism is a perspective of the ideas already here. There's not that big of a question of how did they get here, because they're already here. And our education system has doubled or tripled down on the worst form of that error, which is and take it of science and math so often or taught. Here's the formulas, sort of memorize these formulas will give you all kinds of problem sets where you have to apply them. But why do we have these formulas? Who created them? And why what problems were they dealing with where they couldn't deal until they discover these ideas and so on. So oh Newton has three laws. Here's the three laws, and now start. And that makes it seem like, oh, the ideas are just out there in reality, and just go grab them and start using them. And that's sort of the rationalist whole approach to ideas. So the major reason I think it's so prevalent is it's the method by which ideas are taught in our educational system.
Speaker 2: Action Jackson says, great to see on Call On again. It's been a while. John says, I've corresponded over the years with people who knew Ironmand and they say the existing biographies are accurate. I think we we've talked to people who new Ironmand and they say the biographies any inaccurate. So take that for what it's worth.
Speaker 1: And I would also say of the so yeah, for sure of people who know. But various things have been released where they were private before, like even something like workshops that she held on it o e. The Fiction writing course and things like that, where you're seeing things that were not meant for publication in the form that you're seeing them where she does not come across at all like the way the biographies presented.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's so much of that that the biographies ignore.
Speaker 2: They just don't. They It's as if that material doesn't even exist. They just this. You can see real flaws in it without actually having known her, just based on the published evidence. Daniel, does a country that re elects Trump deserve a dictatorship?
Speaker 1: Well, it depends what deserve means. So there's a there's a perspective of you get the kind of government you deserve, But deserve just means there that there's a causality to it. It doesn't mean that everybody morally deserves this. And if there's a lot of people who are resisting this, like what does it mean? Oh but yeah, but you deserve a dictators now you're trying to resist this, and anybody who's like really pro American what they deserve is to live in freedom. And so but from a causal perspective, if too many people turn tribal, that you'll get what they want is some form of follow the leader, some form of authoritarianism. Yeah, so there's a sense in which causally, like this is the outcome you're going to get and in that sense it's earned. But it doesn't mean like people who are actually pro freedom morally deserves this neo.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it make more sense that the world is platonic given our need for experts, everything from cause mechanics to philosophers. Also, since you're Canadian, are you voting for Pure or for Connie?
Speaker 1: I don't. I haven't voted in the recent elections because I don't follow the Canadian politics enough to think that I know what I'm doing voting the I don't get the platonic element. So relying on experts is not blindly following authority. And if that's like the connection that Plato thinks, you have to have philosopher kings who you can't understand what they're doing, but you sort of have to have faith that they know what they're doing and have seen the forms and are well motivated and so on. That's what it means to rely on experts. You have to have reasons for thinking of person's an expert. You have to have reasons for thinking they know something, and to know something means it's in principle accessible to anybody and everybody. Like I don't think of a doctor, I go to who specialize I don't know in colon cancer as Yeah, like I could never learn this. I can't understand this, but somehow he's been able to figure this out. So I've got to turn my life over. No, it's he's specialized in this field. I could learn it if I specialized in it, and I want to see that he can in effect explain it to me, a non expert in a way that makes it. Yeah, Okay, that's plausible that that's the causality. And if I studied it more, I'd be more convinced that that is the cou But yeah, so it's not at all like you're blindly fault if you're properly relying on experts.
Speaker 2: Andrews says, I'm interested in rand personally as I'm interested in a psychology. Through her journal's letters one hundred voices, you sense a hero, brilliant, malevolent, live to morality and achieve greatness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I certainly don't want to I said that I wasn't especially interested in her person I don't think there's something like weird. If somebody is in it, it's and I know, I mean there's people love working in the archives and see it's just it's it's not a pressing issue for me.
Speaker 2: Action Jackson says, is there any point in discussing Ein Rand with someone whose starting point is Iroinmand was a psychopath?
Speaker 1: Yes, if the if there, if you have some reason to think that person will question their starting point. So I I mean I brought up a way earlier some forms of people thinking, oh yeah, like I know Einrand just loves the rich hates the poor. There's all kinds of variations on that where it's including like, yeah, she must be she's for selfishness, or there's some way in which she must be a psychopath or something like that. And if you ask, like, what have you read of Einrand's that you? And if they tell you nothing and they yeah, maybe, like maybe that's embarrassing that I have such a strong view and I haven't read anything, then yeah, you might be able to get somewhere with that person. If they just keep telling you, oh no, but I know there she's a psychon well, I don't have to read anything. It's yeah, then there's no one point further engaging.
Speaker 2: Action says, there's leaving autocompletion on on my phone an example of being secondhanded no, you know better than that. Jonathan says, uncut. Thank you for so many years about standing in aspiring scholarship.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Jonathan pe Gupta says, is it okay to evade and be happy about dismantling and cut back of some of the Department of Education which seemed unimaginable a few months ago? Why would it bove evade?
Speaker 1: We haven't talked about DOGE. Yeah, very much. I mean, I'm up a little bit. I think the long in, the sort of intermediate to long term, it will likely make these kinds of this kind of cutting much more difficult. I wish I just wish they had done it honestly, and even if it was like this is part of what I mean by honestly, so not if they had done it way better than what they're doing, just honestly, if they had said, yeah, we're cutting all kinds of things. We're doing it super quickly. There's all kinds of things. We don't know what we're doing. We're we might even fire good people, we might try to rehire some of them, some of them we might not try to rehire. But if we don't do it sort of at the start and quickly, it will never it will be just be tied up in the bureaucratic pushback.
Speaker 2: And so on.
Speaker 1: But if it was much more open and not although this is fraud, but many of these programs we just don't like and we want to bring it to an end. Not if if then I think it, Yeah, something positive? What could it happened? Both short term and longer term in regardless. But because of the way in which it's done, and that there's so much misrepresentation and lying about what is done, it makes it easy to push back. Is sort of like, this is what it looks like to cut government.
Speaker 3: And it yeah, so and very little is being achieved, and so it it.
Speaker 2: You know, big promises are being made, very little is achieved, and the idea will be Okay, well this is the best you can do, and.
Speaker 3: It's far from the best it can be done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 2: So you know, I don't think you need to not be happy that I upontum of education is being cut back as long as you can hold the broader context of what those's doing more broadly.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the problem of education is smaller. That's a good thing. It's not as great as it could be, but it's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Lucinda says, can't watch live right now, but very excited to watch this later. Everyone remember to reach the super chet goal. Thank you, Lucinda. Sinda needs to join the AARU at some point. She's hardworking student and really smart. What about music that is primarily percussion based. I've heard objectives feed bad about this, including Iran I recall in regard to rap music.
Speaker 1: I mean percussions part of music. So I don't know what you know.
Speaker 2: I have a problem with things that have a constant beat, nothing ever changes except that constant be. They find it mindless and and and kind of primitive, very very primitive. And it's it's less similar to what iron Man wrote about folk music. It's it's it's a primitive form of music. It's entertaining up to a point, but it can't be more than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I mean, I don't I'm not a consumer of rap, but I can see it doesn't seem like it's all like that though. There's so that's again like as a as a form. Uh yeah, when music becomes monotonous, it starts going outside of even being music because you start to tune it out. But yeah, that doesn't tell you like that's all rap is, or that everything there is doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't like raps, but but it doesn't mean there's nothing. I know people who do. Yeah, Daniel says, if labor theory exalts the virtue of physical labor, how does that comporte with mainstream leftism that scoffs at materialism as unimportant in inferior.
Speaker 1: Well, it depends what you mean by mainstream leftism. Like this was part of the change from the old left to the new Left, and it was a change that Einman saw and that she commented on. So the old left promised material abundance, if you think of Marx as prominent among this, but many of the socialists promised, you're we're going to outcompete capitalism, and when the facts of reality showed otherwise, they basically had two choices. It was, yeah, we're pro material progress, abundance, prosperity, and therefore have to give up socialism communism then, or we're going to give up material abundance and prosperity. And what the new Left did was what we want to cling to our statism and control over people's lives. So we'll say I'm put to something like, now we'll tell people it's better, you're better off to go bare foot. And that's part of what the environmental movement was. It's, oh, Okay, we can't produce abundance, so abundance is bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that doesn't contradict the fact that they think that physical labor is how everything is produced. Yeah, you know, you can still be poor, or you can still advocate poverty and still believe that. Cluck says, do you expect objectivest movement to be? Did you expect the objectives movement to be this small and finge sixty eight years after the publication of Atlas Shrugged, that's over two generations of exposure.
Speaker 1: Well, I wasn't around. I would have been. I think if I were young reading Atlas Shrugged in like sort of pre publication form, I would have been in the camp. But said, the culture's cooked. In ten years, it's gonna all change because like the ideas are so forcefully presented, who's not going to see them? That I would have been in that camp, I would have been wrong, and not just wrong, sort of the whole perspective is wrong. That's not how ideas work, it's not how fast philosophical change happens, but I would have been so. I yes, so I if like, if I were around at that time, would be sufficed by how the gradual the change is. But it's just because I would have had a wrong view, not because the change has been so slow and it should have been and we should have expected it to been super fast. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have a very impatient listening audience. They want change now, Kim ask what led to pragmatism originating and spitting in the US as a post other countries.
Speaker 1: This is something that if you read doctor Peacock's The Ominous Parallels, there's a lot of discussion of pragmatism in there, including its appeal, and one of the ways he characterizes it, which I completely agree with, is something like that it's not necessarily work for work, but something like it's a philosophy design to appeal to Americans. So it's a philosophy that promises the cash value of ideas. We're not going to get bogged down into theory, spend our time in the Ivory tower. We want ideas that work. And what America has done is like transformed a country into the greatest wealthiest country in the world. They want stuff that really works, and we have a philosophy that the whole emphasis is not hot air, but ideas that work, and if they stop working, we pick up other ideas. And that that was the appeal of Oh okay, So this is thinkers who actually value practical action in the way that Americans do. And that was why it was. It really is a philosophy designed to appeal to Americans.
Speaker 2: Andrew says, do you think collectivism is a psychological consequence of incorrect epistemology that leads to an impression of cognitive dependence?
Speaker 1: It's in part so most of these kinds of things go hand in hand, or putting it a little differently, there's vicious circles. So collectivism preaches the idea that you really can't think on your own, the individuals hopeless. You only think in a group. And the more person absorbs that is, they stop like, what's the point of thinking by myself if it doesn't work, and so on and and but the more you do that, the more helpless you are. If you really do give up thinking, which is what collectivisms, or to give up individual thinking, which means to give up thinking, then you do feel out of control and collectivism seems to make more sense then, like, yeah, as an individual, I don't have any control and I'm not able to do things, but collectivism promises, well, but the group will be powerful, so you move more that direction. But then you're preached those ideas and yeah, so that it forms a vicious circle. Right.
Speaker 2: Do you think Josha Puro might be able to beat Fance, Governor of Pennsylvania. Yeah, yeah, yes, yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: There were a few Democrats that could probably beat Fance.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I so it's it's rep if my view of Trump is right, that he's not a power luster. I think it's still the case that a person who wears the power lust on their sleeve turns off Americans. It's partly why Hillary Hillary Clinton really turned people off, Like I can understand why she did h in comparison to Bill Clinton, who I don't think of. He's more also, like he liked the spotlight to be the circle of attention. There was an element there's an element of power lust in Bill Clinton, I think, but he didn't wear it on his sleeve in the way that Hillary Clinton does. And I think someone like a JD. Vance projects much more a kind of contempt and why should be able to real power and crush people and someone like a Josh Shapiro doesn't. He seems more American yep than JD. Van's And I still think the electorate would respond if that's the choice. They'll respond to the more person who seems more positive.
Speaker 2: Neil says, wouldn't it be strategic for AOI to assign people to politics, assign people to politics who can help spread its ideas? And have you met with YouTube tick history?
Speaker 1: So yes? On the second he came to the conference in Berlin, I didn't actually get a chance to spend a lot of time with him because I mean we were both much more talking to the audience okay, to the conference than to each other, including like during the breaks and so on that on the so what was the first again, it was the oh West strategicsy Yeah, I mean you can't do that. People have to have an actual interest in it. But I would say this, I'm not in the camp. If there is such a camp of it's too soon to go into politics, people shouldn't engage with it. It's the last thing that's going to change part of what we were talking about before that it's it's a real problem that bad people go into politics. And I would support anybody who I think of as this person actually values America, even if I disagree with the whole slew of things, but they actually value the country, value the Constitution in a way that there's so much now hand waving towards it. Like the National Conservatives, I do not think value the Constant. They might say they do, but I don't think they actually do so. And I would encourage anybody who I thought of of having good motivation to go into policy, Like if they're interested, yeah, go. We need better people in politics, so I don't want to assign people there, But if people are interested in it, yes, I think you should go into it. There's positive things you can do if you don't have a sort of unrealistic view, Oh I'm gonna become president and change the whole country or something like that. But if you think, yeah, like maybe I could help Congress take back some of the power that it's ceded to the executive branch and so, and that's a long term goal of why I want to go into politic. So yeah, yeah, and if you're well motivated, I had support and encourage people to do that.
Speaker 2: All right, Mary Lee says a full page New York Times ad costs one point four million and up. Yeah, definitely not doing that. I think it cost us two hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: After nine eleven. But we had dedicated donors.
Speaker 2: This is what they wanted to do, and basically two people funded those ads that we did in the New York Times. In Washington Post simon, why did theists distort Why do theists distort causality by insisting on a first cause, ignoring that causality presupposes existence and action and not a beginning.
Speaker 1: Because most of the arguments for the existence of God are rationalizations, so it's not the You probably could count on one hand the people who are like deeply religious, who've they've been convinced by an argument to believe in God. It's they already believe in God, and then it's really you just go by faith. Oh no, I've got arguments for why there is a God and things like the first cause argument. I mean that argument is exploded by children. Well, if God's the first cause, who created God? And then if it's well he doesn't need a cause, Well, why does the universe need a Like a child can see through that reasoning, And that's part of what tells you that it's a rationalization. It's not why they hold the idea, it's they want you to think they hold the idea because of this argument, because then it's oh, yeah, I'm just I'm rational, just like you.
Speaker 2: All right. Last question, I think does the the minicarist political philosophy known as propartarianism propitetarianism have any meaningful degree of integration with objectivism or is it too lacking an intellectual rigor and egoistic morality? Is it interesting in any ways? Have you heard of these? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So, what I think it is is it's so so it's two things. I think this is what the question is about. So one is the thinking of you. You put political philosophies on a spectrum of how big the government is. And so minarchy is anarchy is no government like it's the smallest zero, minarchy is a little one. And then you have whatever our mixed economy. And so that's objectivism completely rejects that that as though the essential is the size of government, the essential is what government does. So it's the powers of government, not the size. And it has a positive view that government is a proper government is a positive, so it doesn't it doesn't classify itself as minarchists. It doesn't think this is the right way to look at the political spectrum. It's rather is the use of force under objective control, which means is it used only against the initiation of force, And proper government yes, and improper government including no government, is the use of force is not used only in retaliation by objectively defined rules and principles. And anarchy is just before everybody can use force when it strikes them as yeah, we'd like to use force. That's not force under objective control. And then the other is the I suspect the propertarianism means of thinking of the essence of rights as they're about property and no, so objectivism rejects that too. And in part there was some mention about egoism. Rights are moral concepts and the attempt to make property rights the fundamental in regard to rights, not it's the right to life and all the aspects, which includes earning and keeping property, is an attempt to make rights non moral. It's like property rights. Oh, you've made the stuff, so like somehow it belongs to you, but belongs to you means you are morally entitled to it, and then you need a moral perspective and a moral evaluation. It's not like you've made the stuff and now it's part of you. No, it's not literally part of you, and somebody could take it. The whole thing is they would be wrong to take it. But wrong means morally wrong, So you need a moral perspective. And the people and the libertarians really at least sort of a wing or faction, tries to make everything about property rights because they think of property rights as this bypasses moral argument, moral evaluation, so now it doesn't actually and if you try to bypass that, then you can't get to a political philosophy, because a political philosophy says this is the right way to organize I side, which means this is the good way as against the bad ways, and that's a moral perspective.
Speaker 2: Yea excellent Thank you, Unca, We've kept you a two and a half hours. Appreciate that. Thank you guys for allow the questions. And I will see you guys tomorrow at some point. Uncle. Probably i'll see you at okonn definitely, but I'll see you probably in meetings on zoom before then. Yeah, I think we have a meeting this week actually, yes, on Thursday. All right, good, okay, good night, bye bye guys, see you all tomorrowka
Speaker 1: Mm hmm