Speaker 1: Check it out The Joke Regan Experience Train My Day Joe.
Speaker 2: Rogan podcast by name All day.
Speaker 1: Mister Sinclair, good to see you again, doctor Sinclair.
Speaker 2: Doctor, I'm kidding day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Do you ever introduce yourself as doctor?
Speaker 2: Never?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a kind of a it's a weird thing because you're allowed to.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm actually a sir, David from Australia.
Speaker 1: But are you a sir?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's kind of a joke. I don't really what does that?
Speaker 1: How does that work out? Did you get.
Speaker 2: The representative gave me some Australian version of a knighthood? But uh, I get to put AO at the end of my name Ao. Yeah, Order of Australia. But it actually makes no difference to my life. So it's just an extra couple of letters.
Speaker 1: It's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: I'm honored, for sure, but it, uh, it's just a joke.
Speaker 1: If you don't know, well, it's kind of anybody's sir. You meet a guy at the gas station, how are you doing, sir? Is that like?
Speaker 2: Wow? How does he know? Right?
Speaker 1: You don't see how you're doing? King?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right, Well I'm David, I'm Australian, so in Australia. If you have any ego, you get beaten up in the playgrounds.
Speaker 1: That is true. Australia is the land of the tall poppy syndrome. They don't they don't fuck around. They don't like you get in a big head in Australia.
Speaker 2: That that is true. I like to go back there though, because it's any level playing field, nobody cares who you are.
Speaker 1: I love the people there. Australian people are some of my favorite people. They're awesome. They're just They're very friendly and fun. It's a great place to be. It's just too far to get there. Such a haul.
Speaker 2: Oh no, if you just you know, whiskey and an ambient and you're.
Speaker 1: There without is that what you do?
Speaker 2: I used to. I've gone clean. I don't drink much at all anymore.
Speaker 1: How often is drink much at all?
Speaker 2: Cele right now? No, it would be a bad look. I've got the coffee that you gave me, which, yeah, this is.
Speaker 1: A layered super food coffe. So Laird Hamilton has coff it's black rifle coffee mixed with his superfood stuff which is this one's turmeric. So it's turmeric and I think it has coconut milk in it and some other jazz.
Speaker 2: That's great anti inflammatory, yes.
Speaker 1: Which I know you're all about.
Speaker 2: Yes, as a prophet of longevity.
Speaker 1: Yes, is that another title of you.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can call me Sir David the Prophet.
Speaker 1: How about that, Sir David the prophet, doctor, Sir David the Prophet of longevity.
Speaker 2: That'll do.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot. Let's let's jump right into it because there is a lot going on in the longevity space.
Speaker 2: Thank you's having me back on it. My pleasure. And by the way, I also want to thank you for I think this is fourth time on which is amazing. Thank you, congrats on all your success. It's thank you wonderful to see. Also, the book that I wrote, which you first had me on to promote, has done so well and it's really because of you and the book Lifespan became a best seller. Not just that, but it's now been read millions of times around the world.
Speaker 1: It's in forty last phenomenal and it's my pleasure.
Speaker 2: And that's not a promo, as you know, you don't make any money from books really, but I'm just honored that it was read by so many people around the world because it wasn't an easy read, it was high tech science.
Speaker 1: Well, people are very interested, especially nowadays. I think I've never I can't recall a time in my life where optimizing your health and longevity has been more of a subject that people are interested in.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's largely because not to keep blowing smoke up your rear, but largely because of what you did in the book. So the book went global, and it was right in twenty nineteen and the pandemic hit, and I think most people saw their own mortality at that point. Most people under the age of about seventy didn't even think about dying, but then pandemics Like shit, I could die. I saw the book take off. You launched it. But yeah, since then a lot of people have jumped on the bandwagon and now longevities. I hear this everywhere I go.
Speaker 1: It's everything. It's everywhere. People are constantly talking about different modalities. How often do you cold plunge? Are you sawing it? What about the red light? What do you think is this legit? Is that legit? Like everybody's optimizing everything constantly all the time. But the reason why it's caught on is because if you do follow some of the protocols, you will feel better, and so that's the ultimate goal. Like longevity is wonderful, but feeling better in the moment currently, like living your life should be primary longevity, I think is if you're optimizing your life and you feel better, you will live longer. It's like this, it's all part of it. So it would follow the longevity principles and the ideas behind it. You certainly will live better right now.
Speaker 2: You will, And it's not even that hard. There are basic things, five basic things you can do or avoid and you can live another fifteen years. It's really not that hard. And that's what I'm excited about telling millions of people today is and maybe we can go over the kind of things that people can do easily to live longer.
Speaker 1: Well, well, I definitely want to do that, But I also want to talk about, like what is the current state of science as applied to longevity treatments, because I know that there's some pretty groundbreaking stuff that's in the pipeline right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so since twenty nineteen, a lot of what we talked about has come true, which is the amazing thing. We're speculating twenty nineteen that we could potentially reverse aging, and that was a sin to say that as a scientist publicly in those days. I put it in the book and it's actually come true since then, certainly for the lab for mice monkeys, and now we have a human clinical trial the first potential human age reversal technologies in people right now.
Speaker 1: Listen. It completely seems logical. The idea that that at one point in time would have been heresy and science to discuss it, so that seems crazy, like if people get old, we understand the mechanism, why couldn't we reverse it?
Speaker 2: Well, I think for a long time we had to accept it in the way that cancer used to be accepted two hundred years ago. Probably there was nothing you could do about it. And then my colleagues and I found that aging has a root cause that's the same in pretty much every cell in the body, and that we could control that, and that there were genes that not only slowed it down. But in twenty twenty we had a big publication that showed we could actually safely for the first time reverse that process, like reinstalling software in the cell to make it work again.
Speaker 1: And so what is the pro is that using crisper? Like, what are you using to.
Speaker 2: Well, we deliver genes into the body like crisper. I have a little little prop here and brought what is that in my pocket here? This is a representation of how we deliver the age reversal genes. It's a virus like capsule that we make in the lab and this is what's going into the patients right now, into their eyes initially, and the eye is a good place to start.
Speaker 1: How do you pick the people to get on these tests?
Speaker 2: They volunteer. I was really fortunate to see the first patient get dosed earlier this year, and that person bravely volunteered to be the first person to get trillions of these injected into his eye to see if could cure his glaucoma loss of vision.
Speaker 1: And I bet if you have glaucoma, you're probably like, listen, what's the worst that can happen?
Speaker 2: Well, exactly, he pretty much was totally blind in one eye, and so there's really nothing that he has to lose. There's a risk that something might go wrong, but not really. He The good news is, and I can report to everybody around the world that nothing's gone wrong so far. Everything's proceeding according to plan, and we're at its turning point potentially in human history if it works.
Speaker 1: So I interrupted you, but explain this little virus.
Speaker 2: Trust sure, And for those of you listening, I've got a little rubber ball with spikes on it. It looks a bit like covid, but don't be scared of it. It's not a pathogenic virus. It's actually a domesticated version of a virus. And this little plastic ball has little adapters. These red balls on the surface of the big ball target it to the cells in the back of the eye, and you can change the balls to target different tissues. We could change that outside little spike and target it to the liver, which we've done and cured mice of their fatty liver disease as well. But this one's for the eye. And within that big ball is a protein capsule, and inside the protein capsule is our DNA special delivery, which we call osk or R one hundred. R one hundred is epigenetic reprogramming one hundred, the drug that we know when we put it into human cells, it makes them younger and then they work like they were young again.
Speaker 1: This sounds like the beginning of a horror movie, you know what I mean, Like the scientist is on a talk show and the scientist is explaining it, and everyone's at home, like with their coffee, Like, Wow, we're in a scientist. This is wonderful. We're gonna get younger again. And SCIENTII to worry.
Speaker 2: It's all gonna work out.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight days later, garbage in the streets, cars on fire, the guy's waking up from a coma, doesn't know what happened. Yeah, goes outside. These optimized humans are eating each other.
Speaker 2: I admit, I admit it is science fiction, and I even have to pinch myself that it's actually happening. But we've done a lot of safety studies, and this trial is FDA approved because they've looked at all the data.
Speaker 1: Well, god knows, they never fucking anything up.
Speaker 2: I figured you might say that perfect. Yeah, Well, it's in the eyes. So that's why we start with the eye. It's enclosed, it's not gonna spread, nobody's going to grow another And.
Speaker 1: So these trillions of cells that you're putting into the.
Speaker 2: Eyes, the little capsule, the virus.
Speaker 1: Tillions I shouldn't call themselves, trillions of capsules that you're putting into the eye. What are they doing for glaucola?
Speaker 2: Well, what they're doing is that there are three genes in this DNA package, and I called them OSK. OSK are three special genes that we found safely reprogram cells and reboot the backup copy of youth, which we now believe exists in our body. That's a big deal that there's a backup copy of youth. Even an old person, I don't see that an old person anymore on the street. I just see a person that needs to be rebooted. These OSK genes.
Speaker 1: You just see. Hold on, when you see old people, you don't see old people you think. You just say, oh, that poor person needs to be rebooted. Yeah, you're doing the perfect job for you, like your personality is perfectly suited for your occupation. If that's how you actually look at people.
Speaker 2: Well I do. And the reason is that we all, we all have this backup copy that the DNA, the instructions to be young that made us into who we are as kids, is still in our bodies, almost largely intact. You just need to read it again. And that's why read installing software or I used to use the analogy of a CD. Kids these days probably don't know what a CD is. It's a it's a little plastic circle like a record that we used to put twenty songs on. It was awesome at the time. I'm kidding. I'm kidding. It's a bit of a silly joke. When I teach kids at Harvard, most of them have never held a CD in that wild Yeah, though, they're not coming back, but albums definitely. So think of it like an album that you scratch and the scratches are like aging, and we are getting rid of the scratches with these three genes, as kay, So let me tell you how these three genes work. We found there was a person whose name is well known in science circles called Shinya Yamanaka from Japan, obviously, and he discovered that there was a set of four genes that could reliably make adult cells like skin cells, into stem cells, and he deservedly won the Nobel Prize for that in two thousand and six. But that wouldn't be useful here. If I turned you into a bunch of stem cells, you'd probably die within a few minutes. So we don't want to do that and cancer is also a potential. So it took us about well from twenty nineteen. It took us a while to figure out that if we leave out one of the Yamanaka genes and just use three OSK leave out the other one called AM, we'd get safe age reversal about seventy five eighty percent back to youth. But no further. We don't go back to zero, which is what Yamanaka did. And instead of cells losing their identity, which is what a stem cell has no identity, we regain identity. So it's actually I could draw graphs, but it doesn't really help listeners. But basically, old old, old age is losing identity of your cells, so they don't work, they forget how to work. That's what we think old ages in my lab and stem cells have no identity. It was like a very early embryo in between. Our cells have a lot of identity, they function beautifully, where in our twenties we're at peak. And what we've done is we've figured out how to go back towards youth, get these cells to work like they did again, back get the backup copy somewhere it exists. We're looking for it and now cells actually behave like they did when we were twenty And if it works, we're going to have glaucoma patients seeing for the first time. And that's the beginning of a whole cascade of drugs that I want to develop for diseases of aging and eventually whole body rejuvenation.
Speaker 1: So the initial experiments are on glaucoma because it's a contained thing. The eyeball is a contained thing, and you could do it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my student Juan cheng Lu, who was doing this in twenty seventeen, I said, let's do the liver. Let's rejuvenate the liver, and he said the eye is a good idea, and he was right. So that's exactly why we chose that first.
Speaker 1: But just think about how many people have vision problems.
Speaker 2: It's forty million just in the US for glaucoma. Macula de generation is even more. And in the lab we can cure that as well in the mice.
Speaker 1: Now, macular degeneration and glaucoma, these are diseases of aging, right, you would say, or gla Cooma's a disease. Oh yeah, Well what about people that have had eyeball injuries? And things like that. Is there a backup copy of the eyeball where you could sort of reformat the eyeball structure?
Speaker 2: You should come work in my lab at least come visit.
Speaker 1: I would love to visit.
Speaker 2: And the reason I say that is that's the exact question that we're asking. We showed that even if you injure, say a nerve, whether it's peripheral in your arm or in your brain or in the eye like the optic nerve, we can regrow those back to where they were. And actually, in twenty twenty on the cover of Nature magazine there was the picture of an eye and in the in the paper we published, you could see the nose re growing back. And so we think that injury is also treatable. Actually, a group in China just took our technology, this always K stuff, put it into mice that had bad joints, and it regrew their muscle and their bone back to normal.
Speaker 1: WHOA.
Speaker 2: And so we were also looking at treating injury back injury joints. What's gio arthritis?
Speaker 1: That would be phenomenal because there's so many people that are suffering from arthritis, and so many I know, so many people with injuries like martial arts injuries. I have one. My left knee is fucked up. It's annoying. I keep it together. I've got it like main maintain it, but it's always an issue. I have to stay on it.
Speaker 2: And there's literally you can do, like stem cells a little bit of relief.
Speaker 1: But stem cells give you relief, but not when once you're dealing with cartilage damage and you're dealing with the I had a meniscus surgery where they took out a piece of my mensqis and I had my ACL reconstructed on that knee as well. It's it's just an issue, but it works pretty good for like what it should be like if we were living in the nineteen thirties, I'd be a cripple.
Speaker 2: You know, hang in there, because we're going to be in a world where we can rebuild parts of the body, including joints.
Speaker 1: The problem with that is, like how does that apply to athletics. We're gonna have fucking super soldiers in every sport. There's gonna be people in every sport that could do what Michael Jordan did and like leap from halfway across the basketball court and dunk.
Speaker 2: That's that's probably coming and there may be DNA tests to see if you've got these osk jeens inserted. And we're working on it, working on a drink and a pill as well.
Speaker 1: For a drink and a pill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're I mean we're now eight years ahead of what the public realizes. Really in my lab at Harvard, Yeah.
Speaker 1: A drink and a pill. And what's a drink and a pill going to do well?
Speaker 2: Right now? It's in mice, so we still got ways to go. But when we give the drink to mice, they get rejuvenated.
Speaker 1: We just give it to eighty year olds. If you're on the way out, like, let's fucking go, Like.
Speaker 2: Give what DA is for. They forbid that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why we need to get rid of them, get rid of the FDA, and just give it to old people. If I was an old guy, yeah, i was like hanging in there with her and I'm walking around with it, and you're like, look, this drink and a pill might kill you, or you might be like a thirty year old. Again, I'm like, let fucking go.
Speaker 2: A lot I've had to take my emails off public access because there's a lot of people that want this.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sure.
Speaker 2: There was one guy that wouldn't leave the building until he saw me, So it's getting to that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a little bit of that, right. People get a little selfish, like it's all about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And actually, the US government blocked an investment from a foreign country into one of my companies because they were afraid of super soldiers.
Speaker 1: Oh what country, Well.
Speaker 2: They're afraid the technology getting out. Which country?
Speaker 1: Could I guess? China? It wasn't wasn't no Russia.
Speaker 2: It was somewhere in between here and China, Ushia. That's pretty it's a it's a little sensitive, but yeah, the US government does have the ability to block it for an investment, and they did in this case one hundred and sixty million bucks they blocked. Wow, that was a painful episode.
Speaker 1: So they were worried that people were going to actually engineer super soldiers. This episode is brought to you by superpower. Your doctor spends eight minutes with you, and your insurance company decides what blood work you're allowed to get. That's not healthcare, it's a broken system. With superpower, you have control over your health. For one hundred and ninety nine dollars, you get all the tools you need to understand your body. It starts with one blood test measuring over one hundred biomarkers. Then they give you detailed insights and a personalized plan built around you your labs, health history, genetics, wearable day end goals. Go to superpower dot com, slash rogan and take control of your health.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know about the Crussian experiments that they did during World War Two where they were trying to come up with a chimpanzee human hybrid tell us. Yes, so, uh, It's very difficult obviously to get information out of the former Soviet Union as to what their top secret programs were, but there seems to be an indication that there was actual, real research to try to you know, because obviously Russia lost an incredible amount of people in World War Two. I mean tens of millions of soldiers died in World War Two from Russia, and I think they said, wouldn't it be great if it wasn't people? And so they were doing experiments with hybridization, and they were trying to combine human beings and chimpanzees to create a you know, a stable of super soldiers that were like some hybrid hominin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a scientist in New York who does this for a living. But he does that, he's creating them. But I've seen I was on stage with him. He made hybrid embryos. They didn't reach. See.
Speaker 1: The thing is, if that guy's doing that and he's ethical and he lives in America and we have rules and regulations in the FDA and all that good stuff, what the fuck is going on in other countries where they don't have that right?
Speaker 2: Right, Well, there's genetic engineering of humans already and certainly selection. Yea, even parents today in the US can if they have the money, they can select.
Speaker 1: Well, people select. They don't tell people select for hotness, they select for tallness, they select for intelligence.
Speaker 2: It's like Geteka.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a great movie.
Speaker 2: If you haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: It is a great movie. Yeah. So see, if you could find that Russian hybridization program, it's uh, it never happened. I don't think I don't think they did it. But there's uh, there's actually a guy who was also involved in a gigantic fertility scam, not a scam per se, but he was a doctor that was supposed to be doing fertility treatments with women like, you know, like if you went with your wife to a doctor and said, hey, we're having a hard time getting pregnant and said, well, David, I just need some of your sperm and I'll take your wife's sag we'll make you a nice baby. And he was using his sperm on everybody, on everybody. Everybody gets mine.
Speaker 2: One of my kids partners is from someone in the US who had hundreds of babies.
Speaker 1: Dude, there is a ton of those guys. As I was doing research for this, I started looking up all these stories and I said, wait, this is a different story, the same thing. There's been a ton of these doctors from fertility clinics that use their own sperm, just insane. But this one doctor that did that also claimed that he impregnated an orangutang. Yeah, like, how how'd you do that? Soviet doctor Joseph Stalin Dictator Oh obviously wanted to rebuild a army in the mid nineteen twenties with Planet of the Ape style troops by crossing humans with ape. Stalin is said to have told Ivanoff, I want a new invincible human being, insensitive to pain, resistant and indifferent about the quality of the food they ate. Which is crazy. The only legitimate source of the claim comes from a two thousand and two paper in the academic journal Science in Context by the Russian historian of science Koreel Rasiyanov. Rasianov's study follows the ill fated attempt by the Russian psychologists or physiologists rather that word ilyya Ivanov, to crossbreed humans with anthropoid apes. His research offers an important warning about the ethical abuses. Did you do it? What happened? The alleged quote from Stalin is not found in the paper, and there's no evidence of Stalin ever ever made such a statement. Yeah. I don't know, however, why the Soviets would find such a human chimp hybridization program in the first place, and what could be learned from this sorid tale of ethical misconduct is an important topic and fascinating in its own right. It's a that's an interesting way of phrasing it, like a sorid tale of ethical misconduct. Like, however, if you are going to go to war, would you rather have like human made orcs fight for us? Or you know Johnny Robinson who grew up down the street, who's a nice kid, who you know, just really wanted money for college, and so he signed up for military service, and you're gonna fly him over to fight this war that maybe he doesn't need to die in when you can have these monsters that you made in a lab fight.
Speaker 2: Yep, And the average a can kill a human with one pot. So there's much stronger than.
Speaker 1: We really what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Let's go, Well, we're in the process of building, you know, anthropoid robots that I think will be recruited to the army.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gonna be weird, Like our robots beat your robots, So give us your oil. How's that gonna work?
Speaker 2: And if we all have one at home? What stops the government recruiting them? All?
Speaker 1: Right? And also means what's the real problem is gonna be? We both know the real problem is gonna be sex robots.
Speaker 2: Is a problem.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a problem for people that don't have a sex with leave home. It's gonna be a problem with people that want a regular person and there's none available because everybody's got a sex robot.
Speaker 2: Yeah that well, it comes with a few strings, attests.
Speaker 1: It also comes with the same problems that AI comes with. Right where AI says David, you're amazing. Everything you do is wonderful. You should be so proud of yourself. I love that, No real at all, love that. But that's not healthy, right, it's too big. This is one of the reasons. This is one of the reasons why relate, actual, real relationships between human beings are good. Because you do things that are annoying, you don't realize they're annoying, and then your wife or your husband or whatever it is, tells you, Hey, you're fucking annoying, and you're like, I'm sorry, I'll fix that. I didn't mean to. I didn't That's not what I was trying to exactly. I was in my own head. I was thinking about myself. You're right, I selfish. You get better. It's like help people grow, like relationships, support to help people grow, not with AI. Like you can fight in my face any day, David, I don't mind at all. Your farts are amazing.
Speaker 2: You know they're gonna be way smarter than us, too, right. I don't know how people are gonna say, go stack the dishwasher to one of these robots that's smarter than all cumans combined.
Speaker 1: You, But they're not gonna mind stacking that they're smart enough to meet.
Speaker 2: Out of hell and they're going to beat us up.
Speaker 1: They don't care. They're not going to mind doing like menial tasks. But while you're doing it, you know, you can go explain to me quantum entanglement, Like while I'm filling up the.
Speaker 2: Dishwasher, they can go if you one day, well, if you.
Speaker 1: Have a particle and the particles, yeah, I just yet. Right, Well, look at what it's done with mathematics, Like, just over the last couple of weeks, they've solved more than fifty program or fifty mathematical equations that they have struggled for a decade upon decade to try to solve. And a I was like, oh, I got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well biology is a little bit more complicated, but already AI is doing a lot of the science that we used to do in my lab. In fact, what we just recently did it in a couple of months would have taken about one hundred and sixty years to complete what and it's only getting faster. Eventually someone came and make it on again two months instead of one hundred and sixty years.
Speaker 1: Well, what exactly was it that you had to do?
Speaker 2: Oh? So this drink and the pill that we're looking for. That's not easy, right, So we have some candidate molecules. We have a cocktail that works, but you want to.
Speaker 1: See you take not yet you're thinking about it. Yeah, I no one could stop you. I might.
Speaker 2: Well, that is true, that is true, But it'd be a bad look if I died. So may maybe I don't think so. We've done a lot of tests and it looks really safe. But I'm not going to publicly do anything against the law. Of course, It'll be in private, of course, of course publicly. We I'm at a stage where i have to be a good boy because I've got the world watching. Yes, a lot is at stake, Yes, and a lot of If this trial has any issues, it's not good.
Speaker 1: We've got to dot your eyes and cross your t's and follow every I understand that. Yeah, please, I will be rude. I interrupted you when you're telling me that in two months it did something that would have required one hundred and sixty years of work, Like, what do you exactly mean by that?
Speaker 2: And now we it would probably be impossible in thousands of years because what we do is we're looking for molecules a single molecule that can replace this cocktail. So you need a molecule to do three or four activities in the cell. Finding one activity is what pharmaseutical companies do. It takes hundreds of millions, if not billions, to make a drug. We know that, right. My little lab of twenty people and students, young kids are trying to make one drug do three or four different things. That's beyond the reach of pharmaceutical experience at least five years ago. So what we do is we've teamed up with a group at Saint Jude's Hospital where they can take it was ten billion now it's a trillion theoretical and also drug known drugs. With my hands, I'm showing a big funnel and.
Speaker 1: These podcasts you're like helping out the audio people and everything.
Speaker 2: I relaunched my podcast that that's wow, that's why Yeah, lifespan David Sinclair shameless plug. So this funnel is full of trillion molecules and we have to come down to one. How do we do that? Well, we don't look for a trillion molecules at the bench. That would take one hundred and sixty or thousands of years. With the case of a trillion molecules, even with robots, even with a lot of graduate students. So we do it inside the computer. We just use a lot of compute and we dock each of these molecules against the enzymes that we now know how they work. Thanks to Google Deep Mind solve the problem of how to all our proteins look twenty thousand of them and there's a lot of compute. But out the other end, a couple of months later, we have two I don't have two hundred fingers, but two hundred molecules that we can now test in the lab within you know, a few weeks. Actually next week, we're testing these two hundred against human cells. And we've also got AI helping us to tell us if the human cells go from ninety two years old back to twenty. We can tell that just by looking at them thanks to the AI.
Speaker 1: Is there a way to stop them from turning you into a baby, because that's what I would worry. Yes, yes, I don't want to be a baby again.
Speaker 2: Right, some people are right.
Speaker 1: I'd like to cut it off at like I was pretty good at twenty five.
Speaker 2: You know that's I'm going to get attacked for saying this, But That is what we do in the lab. We take ninety two year old cells and they stop at twenty something.
Speaker 1: Why would you get attacked for.
Speaker 2: Because on the internet people take a clip and they say Sinclair says, we can all go back to being twenty again. You suffer from this too, right, They take a clip and it's of course it's out of context. Yeah, and I'm just saying cells from humans, skin cells, we take them back to twenty five. All my students can do this. In fact, if you had these little genes OSK in your garage, you could do this experiment. It's not hard at all to reverse aging. The question is how do you safely make it a drug? And that's been the hard part of the last ten years.
Speaker 1: So how would it be able to regulate this reduction or reversal of aging and stop it at twenty something years old?
Speaker 2: Well that's what took so long. It wasn't obvious that these three Yemenaka genes called OSK were the right cocktail. My student who I mentioned one chain, he was struggling. He was trying a lot of different genes, most of them from embryos, because we know embryos have to do a reset in the first week of life. Otherwise they stay the age of the parents. And he found that leaving out one of the amenarca genes was the trick. And now that we know it's super easy, but in those days he was ready to quit.
Speaker 1: How did he find that out?
Speaker 2: Well, he tried lots of different combinations, hundreds in human cells. And you look at the cells to see if they get younger, and then we can measure mole likely that they get younger.
Speaker 1: Clar Andy, are you measuring them by the length of they're telomeres?
Speaker 2: Are you? Yeah? Partly, But actually a better measure is the chemicals that are added and subtracted off DNA itself called methyls, and it's just a carbon molecule with three hydrogens, very very simple molecule. But what cells do is they use these methyls to tag genes to be switched off. So when we're growing as an embryo, the cells that want to become neurons will shut off all these other unwanted genes like liver genes and skin genes, and the ones that don't get this methyl chemical stay on for our life. And that's how cells develop and stay healthy. But what happens during aging. A friend of mine, Steve Horvath, discovered that you can use this as a clock. These chemicals they change over time, and we found that that happens largely due to DNA damage going into sun. These kind of things. We could use this to rapidly age a mouse, which we published in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Oh so like maybe like some nefarious state actor, like some Russian spy could like inject something in your coffee and you would turn ninety nine over nine.
Speaker 2: We know how to do that.
Speaker 1: Whoa, Yeah, that's the dark side of this. It could you could spike your husband's drink, Fuck that dude and turn them into an old man. Yeah you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Someone tweeted the other day if a ninety two year old could be twenty five again, would you have sex with them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yes, imagine how much they know.
Speaker 2: But would they have sex with you? Right, that's the better question.
Speaker 1: That's a question they'd be looking for another twenty year old, right.
Speaker 2: So anyway, how do we do it? We can measure those chemicals and determine how old a cell is or a human. I could take your skin, cells from your mouth, or your blood.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you how old people would be so disturbed by like, old rich guys dating young women. If that was the case, you can tell if they looked young, because people get very mad at that. Do you ever notice, Yeah, yeah, you see someone real old, decrepit dude with a hot young wife, and people are like, god, damn it. They get really mad right right now.
Speaker 2: The best way to do that is to have a big bank account. But eventually you'll act right.
Speaker 1: But people still get grossed out. I wonder if they would get grossed out if you look twenty. They'd be like, he's praying, he has so much more years of knowledge and information. I'm not fair. If he looks twenty, that's a ninety nine year old man.
Speaker 2: That day will come. That day will come where you will not be able to tell how old somebody is by looking at them. You'll have to do a test for these genes.
Speaker 1: Wow. I wonder if people still lie about their age. If that's the case, I wonder if no one will care, like you would probably lie the other way, like I'm eighty, right to tell everybody's eighty, that's right.
Speaker 2: Well, when we live for hundreds of years, people will do that. They'll be proud of their age.
Speaker 1: Do you know anything about ancient civilizations and some of the weirdness of the records of like ancient sumer.
Speaker 2: Well only really what I've learned from listening to you.
Speaker 1: Well, it's there's what's really weird is that ancient kings lists, because so okay, the theory, the theory among these alternative archaeologist types is that there was a very advanced civilization that existed on Earth tens of thousands of years ago, and we were probably wiped out by common impact, and what we have today is a rebuild of civilization. There's not a linear progression from caveman to us, and that at one point in time we had reached great heights. This explains the pyramids, this explains machipichu, soakssee juaman. Some megalithic structures that don't make any sense. These the trilithon stones and balbec lemedon that are hundreds and hundreds of tons that are massive, that are you know, nine meters off the ground. No one understands exactly how they place them. When you look at the Sumerian kings list, it gets very weird because there's kings that reigned for thousands of years and then you have the flood, and then after the flood, the age of these people drops pretty dramatically, and the rains are after a few hundred years become normal, become like a normal person, like fifty years, thirty years like that, but thousands of years before and then people are looking at it like, Okay, is this just myth? Is this poor record keeping? Do they have just these you know, hyperbolic elevated stories about these kings they were so amazing they reigned for thirty thousand years? Or had they achieved not just in building, because in building we know they'd achieved incredibly complex structure like the pyramid for instance, like they had insane engineering somehow or another, the ability to move these five hundred ton stones from hundreds of miles away, Like how did they do this? We don't really know, but we know that they did it. Did they also have the kind of technology that you're talking about right now, Because if it's possible today, and if that is a I mean, it makes it very difficult because it goes against what you would call like the modern narrative that they're teaching in universities in terms of the timeline of human history. But if that changes and we have undeniable evidence. Well, it looks like these people were far more advanced than we thought, and there probably was some sort of a reset of civilization. What else had they accomplished and had they gotten involved in genetic engineering, had they figured out a way to extend lifespan? And if they did, imagine all the work that you've accomplished in your your fifty seven now about fifty seven. You look great. By the way, Hey, you really do. Look your hair. It's so dark, it's incredible.
Speaker 2: People speculate it's old, fake, but it's actually it's not. But anyway, you're at the heavy birthday too.
Speaker 1: It's coming, Thank you very much. Yeah, yeah, I don't look as good as you, though, yes you do. It's different.
Speaker 2: Physically, you're way better than me.
Speaker 1: That's different. Though my face looks older, you look you look very young for your age. You know why?
Speaker 2: Why Because I've spent all my time in a lab and i haven't gone outdoors for a while.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that helps. But my point is, imagine if you had five hundred years to do research, not just fifty seven years. Imagine if you could continue learning and growing and they did develop some sort of a life extension technology where you could not just be, but be healthier than you've ever been before and live for a thousand years. You would get so much done. I mean, the exponential increase in technological innovation that we would have in this society would be absolutely mind blown.
Speaker 2: Exactly, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: This is really might be point what these alternative history people think that might be what had taken place tens of thousands of years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm a havid scientist, so I'm not going to say anything that isn't.
Speaker 1: Of course that's for me. Yes, that's where I live.
Speaker 2: That's why I shut up. But you did make some really important points. One is that ancient civilizations will have always been way more advanced than we think. Yeah, dinosaurs a lot more real than we make them. Look. We always get things wrong looking back in time and looking forward in time. But the other thing that you said, which is really important, is that if we do have extension of human life span, like the Bible and these civilizations suggest, then how will you think about your life? If being one hundred is you know, you're still in your prime, you do things very differently. Who would you marry, what career would you think about you might have multiple lifetimes, multiple marriages, multiple families, and that will happen. It's not really a question of if anymore. It's like asking the right brothers. Will we fly? Yeah, we built the glider, We're gonna fly around. The question is will we build a concorde? Will we go to space? And I think that will happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think so too. I think, well, certainly. One thing that we know is that there's a giant difference between people who are fifty seven years old today versus fifty seven years old in the nineteen thirties. It's just a giant difference, a giant difference in your physical ability, your health. We'd be old men, Yeah, we would be old men. And what I mean when I was a child, I thought of people, I'm almost fifty nine. I'll be fifty nine in a week. I used to think of a fifty nine year old as being basically dead, like you're barely getting around. You know, you're probably tired all the time.
Speaker 2: Looking to retire something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looking to retire, you got no energy. I'm filled with energy. I'm constantly doing how old is hey? Sixty?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, I don't know if that's accurate. That's I bet that's accurate. They had no fucking vitamins. Nobody knew what like what the proper nutrients you should take where nobody knew what was really important in terms of like resistance training and sleep and red light therapy and all that chizz.
Speaker 2: And they were doing all the bad stuff like heavy smoking, drinking.
Speaker 1: Yep, not sleeping a lot, yep, not sleeping a lot here, and pesticides and all kinds of terrible shit. Sixty year old? What that guy's sixties? Crazy? No way, Come on, shut up. That guy's fucking twenty eight years old. There's no way that guy's sixty. Is that real?
Speaker 2: I doubt it. I doubt it. How about that guy that looks fifteen? He says, everyone thinks I'm eighteen, Like, yeah, sure, what's up. There's a guy on Instagram, which I occasionally visit, and he obviously looks old like he looks Oh it's crazy, and he says, people think I look eighteen? Are you crazy?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a lot of crazy people out there. There's a lot Well that's body dysmorphia, you know, it must be bodybuilders. They think they're tiny. A lot of people are crazy. Yeah, a lot of people have a distorted perception of what they look like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the plastic surgery industry is massive. It's just growing and growing. You can see on the street La especially. But imagine a world where if I'm successful, you can take a pill, your doctor could get it, or eventually it's a cream on your face and you literally get younger. We do this in mice already, the mice get younger. Is it going to work in humans? I think it's just a matter of time.
Speaker 1: So in the mice experiments, what have you achieved? Well, a lot.
Speaker 2: You know, I can reveal here some of it for the first time. This pill that we give them to drink, actually because they can't chew. The mice within four weeks with this cocktail. It has three components, which a top secret my lab has sworn to secrecy. They after four weeks, we give it to them three days a week Monday, Wednesday, Friday, weekends off. Within those four weeks they get better physically, mentally. Excuse me, they?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: So we put them through tested just in a couple of days. Oh no, three days a week for a month.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, he.
Speaker 2: Found this guy.
Speaker 1: This is the guy he went viral last year. He's being fifty nine years old? What how fucking it seems so real?
Speaker 2: He looks thirty exactly.
Speaker 1: He might have just amazing genetics. Well look at Joel Romero. There there are people that are freaking Singapore.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, twondo kwondo ten and he's sixty years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been going without a face lifts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know it's he certainly doesn't look like he's had a facelift. Yeah right, it's fucking incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's probably never been in the sun.
Speaker 1: It could be a full AI account. It's trolling everyone. I don't know that's possible too. Like, look at that picture right there, Like that looks a little AI ish. Go back to that one again. Keep your pants on, Jamie, that relax. That looks very AI, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: I'm just it could be it is all.
Speaker 1: His fifty ninth birthday. His whole thing is that he's young.
Speaker 2: For eight looks half his age. Wow, man, this will be normal.
Speaker 1: I guess it's just twenty twenty fourst it's not. This has been going on for a while. Okay, so this is pre AI. If it's fake, then he would have been called out now, right, so he might just be a genetic free which is interesting, right, Like do you guys study the different like you know, unfortunately certain people that have like like pale people for instance, with thin skin, they age hardcore, they go.
Speaker 2: And there are those kids that get old in the teens, right, the study that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, weird, but yeah.
Speaker 2: We do study the genetics of aging.
Speaker 1: That's the real application for it where people are to be excited about it. People that have that what is it called per jerry jerry exactly? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so we have mice that have this same gene mutation and they get old really quickly, and we're giving them the drink right now, and.
Speaker 1: So in the drink you give it to them how often and for.
Speaker 2: A month it's once a day, every other day, three days a week for a month. And yeah, in normal old mice, we see them fitter, stronger, better memory. They run around the cave in just a month. It's amazing. We only did a month because it was Christmas holiday season. We didn't we didn't want to go for longer. But it worked in four weeks. I'm shocked. Even these genes require six to eight weeks to work for revision, recovery of vision.
Speaker 1: And so this is working on a different pathway.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the cool thing. We think it's working through the same mechanism, the reboot, the reinstallation of software the drink. Because there are genes called TETs. There are three of them in the body, and they do something spoiler t ET capital t T there's one, two, three, And these are genes that make enzymes that remove these methyls off the DNA, so they control the clock. And if we get rid of those genes, our system doesn't work. We cannot restore vision, and our pill doesn't work without removing and altering those chemicals. So in other words, it's not just because the chemicals make the cell healthier, it's actually resetting this clock on the DNA. WHOA, and that was the big deal, I said, why when my student told me. And that's why I think it got the cover of Nature magazine, which is we're actually looking at the clock of life, and we've realized that this clock that goes around, this biological clock, isn't just a clock. When you move the hands of the clock, time goes backwards for the body, meaning the clock is aging, and aging is the clock.
Speaker 1: Wow, what is it? You don't really know in terms of humans, But is there any indication that improves cognitive function in mice?
Speaker 2: Yes, I can say without a doubt that other labs an ours have shown that when you reverse the age of the brain in a mouse, it gets better at learning. And we even have some hints and we're going to publish this that lost memories come back.
Speaker 1: WHOA.
Speaker 2: So Alzheimer's patients I believe still have memories, they just cannot access them, and that one day we can reverse Alzheimer's disease by making the brain young, and that using that approach, making the whole body young, we can cure diseases that are currently incurable.
Speaker 1: Holy shit.
Speaker 2: Well young people don't get Alzheimer's why because the body can tackle the problem. The young body can heal itself. So my approach is make the body young, it'll heal itself in every way.
Speaker 1: Well do you have children three? Yeah. One of things that's just phenomenal is watching them heal. Yeah, I'm like, it is so uh, it's so wild. But also you envy them so much because they get cut and it's like two days later, like, where's your cut? It's fucking gone, Like that's crazy. My daughter had a cutter. She fell and knocked her head and she had this like dark spot on her head like where she got injured. It was like four or hailve days it was gone, and I was like that fucking thing would be with me for four months.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the good thing is if we rub our cocktail on the skin of the mice, they heal like the young again.
Speaker 1: Oh so that would be like a great application for ladies who want the beauty treatment on the face, right, because that.
Speaker 2: Was way waheaded whoa. Yeah, yeah, And we're working on hair. We can grow human hair on mice now. Really that took a few years and now we can check if we can regrow hair and make it dark again.
Speaker 1: You can grow human hair on mice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not alad to actually did post it on Instagram and the university said, get that down. It exists. We grow it from stem cells, from human stem cells. We make little bowls of hair. It takes a few months. We open up the ball to make a flat piece of skin, human skin, and we put that in the back of a mouse that can accept human skin, and then you get black tufts of hair from humans can.
Speaker 1: You get any kind of hair, Like, could I get an afro? I just want to get one to piss people off. Oh, we'd love an afro, like a Colin Kaepernick type, just a big, crazy one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We can grow hair. We can do that. We were on at a few leves that can grow this hair. So I thought about doing that for a company, but I think hair transplants would just be easier.
Speaker 1: Oh right, so you would grow hair in a lab and then transplant those hairs.
Speaker 2: We can do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh well that's the thing, because I got a hair transplant. But the way I describe it is like your take. It's like taking people that are really healthy and moving them into a town where everyone's dying. Because like you take taking hair from back here where it's gonna stay, and you put it up here where it's all falling out.
Speaker 2: It didn't thrive. What's up It doesn't thrive if you move it.
Speaker 1: Oh, it thrives, but everybody else dies. You know, you can only take so much from the back of your head and move it to the top of your head. That's why a lot of guys with hair transplants look goofy, because you have like this strong hairline in the front and it goes back like that and then everything else looks like chaos.
Speaker 2: Oh that sucks. You know what I take from my hair?
Speaker 1: What do you take?
Speaker 2: Among other things?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Viagra?
Speaker 1: Viagra?
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually I shouldn't say the brand name.
Speaker 1: That's actually I take it.
Speaker 2: That's what I tell everybody. That is true. It's low dose, seven milligrams a day to delafill, and it's good for a lot of things.
Speaker 1: I know it's good for endurance. Yeah, yeah, because I know athletes who take it for endurance. They probably take it to fuck too. Let's not kid ourselves.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a nice it's a nice benefit. When a sign a paper just came out about its role in preventing cancer, I tweeted what's not to love? People love that tweet. But the point is actually, last week they found that these drugs in mice and seemingly in people who take these drugs are actually resistant to can certain types of cancers like head and neck cancer. So interested turning out.
Speaker 1: To be really important. Blood flow.
Speaker 2: Well, two reasons that are not related to blood flow, but they're related to what's called nitric oxide signaling, which is what helps dilate blood vessels in all your body, including your penis. The other two mechanisms, one showed that to dalaphil is good for exposing the tumor to the immune system. There are certain cells are called MDSCs that protect the tumor from getting attacked, and the drug stops that. So now the tumors shrink in mice and seemingly in people in tumors. And then the second mechanism is really interesting. It seems to this was siedanaphil, So this is now viagra. Found that the cancer is a lot of cancers thrive on cholesterol, and this blocks the ability of cancer cells to use cholesterol.
Speaker 1: I thought they thrived on glucose.
Speaker 2: That too, exactly right. So you want to be in katosis if you've got the tumor in general, so fasting is good, but now it looks like these ed drugs might be good for it as well.
Speaker 1: Fascinating. It wasn't I think viagra was a It was an accident, right, wasn't Wasn't it a blood pressure medication.
Speaker 2: It's a good story. It was for angina, right was for your heart. But the story goes that women especially and the men didn't want to give up the drugs that they had left over. It was amazing. It was I think it was seventy five percent had a positive reaction for erections and without it twenty two. So it's it's very clear that it was working.
Speaker 1: Interesting and so so how does it help hair?
Speaker 2: Well, we don't know for sure, but there's a lot of evidence that part of the reason hair dies out and stops growing is lack a blood flow, and the monoxidol that people put on their hair helps with that.
Speaker 1: Right. Interesting, and then DHT inhibitors exactly.
Speaker 2: Also, i'd be do test ride people can take orally.
Speaker 1: The problem with that is my friend had severe depression when he took that. Yeah, it really fucked him up, and he didn't realize because he didn't understand that that was He was like, what is wrong with me? And he was getting suicidal and then he got off of it and it just went away, and he's like, oh my god, I can't believe that this episode is sponsored by Better Help. You've probably heard about better Help before, but maybe you haven't heard from those who have actually used Better Help. That feedback can tell you everything you need to know. Go to betterhelp dot com. Slash Reviews and check out the feedback from hundreds of people saying how much they love this service. It's easy to see why. To get started, all you have to do is answer a few questions. You'll get matched up with a therapist based on your needs, and if it's not the right fit, you can switch therapists at any time. See the reviews, see what stands out, and see if better Help is right for you. Visit betterhelp dot com slash jr E. That's better h E l p dot com slash j r E.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm taking it for a number of reasons, including my hair and my prostate. See if I can keep it from growing. But unfortunately I haven't had that side effect.
Speaker 1: But everything depends, right, It varies biologically depending on the person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's important when either of us says that drug's good that drug's bad, right, people realize that you have to test it, see and with doctors supervision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was where I was going to get to, was like, because different medications have different reactions, or different people's reactions to medications, they vary quite wildly. So like, before you make this public, I mean, like, how do you determ whether or not this is going to be safe for a wide variety of people to reverse aging.
Speaker 2: Oh my drug, our drug that we're making, well, we will test it on a lot of people before it goes out into the wide world.
Speaker 1: And you've started testing it on people so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are people right now who have this these genes in their eye.
Speaker 1: And how's it going. I'm not allowed to say, but can you wink twice? If it's great?
Speaker 2: Um, I would say that everything's on target.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's good to hear.
Speaker 2: Nothing bad to report, nothing bad to report. I think those might be the words I'm allowed to say.
Speaker 1: And is that the only clinical trials you've used with any of these applications for humans so far?
Speaker 2: That was the first glaucoma And also sudden blindness it's called nyon, which is now twice as more prevalent because of the JLP one drugs. Really it's not well known obviously, companies don't want to talk about it, but yes, blindness has doubled seemingly because of these meds.
Speaker 1: You have to Holy shit, sudden blindness has doubled because of GLP one's do.
Speaker 2: You deny on? Which is like a stroke in your eye and then your other eye can go, which is pretty scary and there's nothing you can do about it. Hopefully, How drug does work for those people?
Speaker 1: And I'll well, obviously correlation does not equal causation, but it seems to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a scientist at Harvard, you could look up his work, Joe Rizzeau. It looks like it's repeatable across the planet.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's terrible because there's so many people out there that are just telling everyone they should get on GLP ones. Yeah, I've've seen that, like by online people, like online podcasters saying everyone should get on GLP one's there's a groundbreaking technology. This is amazing, it's going to transform society. I'm like, we just started taking these the fuck are you saying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not risk free? Same with eight D drugs.
Speaker 1: Here goes. Recent studies suggests that a potential rare link between GLP one receptor agonist medication such as zempeg, wagov blah blah blah, and a condition called non artytic anterior what's that word ischemic ischemic optic neuropathy. An eye stroke can cause sudden, painless loss of vision in one eye. Wey absolute risk remains very low. Anyone experienced sudden vision change, you should seek emergency metal medical evaluation immediately. Well, very low is like, it's still what does that mean?
Speaker 2: People?
Speaker 1: One in ten thousand?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's total of ten thousand, oh, total.
Speaker 1: Of ten thousand so far for how much you were taking this. I think it's pretty The drugs were sixty eight point six times more likely to develop this and eight times more likely to develop diabetic What is that we only got the blurb? Oh my god? Then wow. Yeah, man, these things are just they're just rolling out and the people that are like super enthusiastic, and also they have some sort of a financial interest in promoting these things, which oftentimes does seem to be the case with a lot of these people. They have either stock in these companies or some sort of a stake in them.
Speaker 2: Uh. Yeah, it's true, though, I will I will say to counter that that the JLP one drugs have probably saved millions of lives already, and they're pretty common. At least ten percent of people are trying them in twenty five percent one to two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, they don't work for everybody. I have a good friend of mine that had a terrible reaction from it, and he was hospitalized. But I know other people where it's completely transformed their life and they've lost a ton of weight, and particularly people that just for whatever reason, the food addiction was so incredibly strong that whatever their constitution, the way they're the way they're designed, the way they're built, the way they've as a human being, they weren't capable of overcoming it. They take the GLP ones and then they sort of start getting moving and then they lose all the weight, they start feeling better, they start making a lot of other positive changes. You get that momentum, which I always talk about, is which is one of the most important things for transforming your life. Everyone wants to talk about discipline. I think discipline is the primary, that's the main engine, but one of the things that comes along with any kind of an exercise program or changing your life program where you start getting positive results is momentum. And momentum is absolutely huge, thank you, because then you start feeling.
Speaker 2: That's so important, this is good.
Speaker 1: So I think golp ones are fantastic for getting people going.
Speaker 2: Yes, everybody should hear this, it's really important. I'll give you my example. It's a classic case, I couldn't fast for more than about a day. I want to do more. I know that three days fasting is good, A week can be even better, but I couldn't do it. I don't have a lot of willpower when it comes to this kind of stuff. I tried a jilpy one receptor agonist. I gave it and it was easy. I didn't even feel like I needed to snack at night, which is one of the things that I and many people suffer from. But the fact that I could do it, I went off the drug. I didn't need it. But now I can fast for I went for two weeks in a couple of months ago. Well it's easy now now that I know that I can do it. Mentally, it's not hard at all. The momentum exactly, I know what's possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's fascinating. You are you still on a plant based diet?
Speaker 2: Mostly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what I had. I just had a conversation with a friend of mine about this. I don't know how much of the information that he was telling me it was totally accurate, But what he was saying was that he was told before he did fasting that one of the best because he's a runner, He said, one of the best ways to get into fasting is to get your body into Kittosi's first, he said, And what he thinks is that a carnivore based diet and what he was told was a good way. If you could do that for a few weeks, it mitigates your appetite. Like one of the things that happens with a lot of these diets that regulate insolent resistance is that when you get used to consuming just fats and protein, you don't have the kind of hunger pangs that you have with carbohydrates. Like when I if I go in a bad streak and I'm eating pizza and pasta, and I've done that in the past, I don't really do that much in a less I'm on vacation. In the past, though, what I would get hungry, I would get crazy hungry, like I've got to eat. Now I don't get that at all anymore because I'm mostly on a carnivore based diet. Mostly what I eat the like you look the bulk of my diet, it's meat and fermented vegetables. It's meat and like kimchi and sauer kraut and stuff along those lines. And when I eat like that, my hunger is very easy to control. And I've gone twenty four hours like it's nothing, not eating, It's like not a problem at all. But that's the most I've ever fasted. It's twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Okay, well see if you can go for three, it's really worth it. You feel really great. Katosa's well that's what everybody says. Yeah, yeah, And you go into what's called deep cleansing. It's called chaperone mediated ortopogy or CMA, and a friend of mine in New York, Maria Corvo, studies this and it cleans out a lot of the old proteins in your body. So katosis doesn't just make you feel good, you're actually renewing your protein in your body and rebuilding it. And so I do that as a as an anti aging thing.
Speaker 1: Is what I find is the biggest benefit is mental acuity. It's a giant It has a giant impact when I stick to the diet in terms of my ability to form sentences, like recall information and just be present in podcasts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so in my podcast, what you do is really quite difficult. You make it look easy. So when I'm when I'm doing my podcast and often it's solo, so it's challenging. I forget things. I have to remember hundreds of papers for these things. They quite hard. Either I'm gonna fast, and if I don't remember to fast, I didn't experiment. I took some keytones. You can drink these things, right, So yeah, there's the one, the little drink I think.
Speaker 1: With fantastic stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I use that.
Speaker 1: I love that stuff. I do that. I take that before I do UFC broadcasts a lot of the time. Yeah, yeah, I actually took some before because one that's great before podcasts as well. Well. The one and one of more difficult things that I do is the UFC commentary because it's six hours, six hours of talking on air live yeah, and about fights, and I'm also recalling fights and I'm also I'm seeing positions, so I have to remember in my mind how this is finished, because like in jiu jitsu, there might be I don't know how many positions there are, there thousands, And there's moves where I'm like, what is he doing? What is he doing?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's that, that's the prov net TI. I'm looking at his arms like your brain is I am exhausted at the end of six hours and fucking starving, Like after the UFC is over. I can eat so much food. It's I'm so hungry.
Speaker 2: But you take a little drink.
Speaker 1: I take a little Keytone, little keytone IQ. I take Nootropics. I drink this stuff. My friend Derek makes this his Gorilla mind. It says a Nootropico tropic cocktail with caffeine stuf's really good for a podcast. I also take Alpha Brain. Alpha Brain Black labels phenomenal for that. There's a bunch of different ones that I take. The gum Neurogum. Neurogum is excellent for that too. But I just do fucking everything I can to maximize.
Speaker 2: That's how you do it, all right. Yes, secret is now out, all right, but what you do is amazing. And I thought you were on mandafanol or something. No.
Speaker 1: I've taken that before in the past. But the problem with that stuff is I think I like it too much and I want to take it all the time. You know, when I used to take that, if I had a gig in San Diego and I drive home after the gig, and it was like, you know, one o'clock in the morning when I'm done, and then I'm like, ah, I'll just go home. It's only two and a half hours. And I start making the drive and you just get so tired. But if I take new vigil or provigil before I do that, I would be able to drive no problem. Put a book on tap.
Speaker 2: Can you sleep after that? Dog?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, yeah. It doesn't seem to affect your ability to sleep, which is really interesting. It's not like caffeine. Do you do it? Do you take it at all?
Speaker 2: Arm adafinil for tulks when I'm traveling.
Speaker 1: Does it help you?
Speaker 2: Definitely?
Speaker 1: Like in what way?
Speaker 2: It gets rid of my jet light and I can focus. My brain often is either scattered or filled with facts that I pauses me like now to not be able to talk properly. But if I'm on it, in which I'm not, I'm on point every time. For me.
Speaker 1: The best thing for jet lag is exercise. There's something about rigorous exercise. It doesn't even have to be long. It just has to be where my heart break gets really elevated, like above one hundred and fifty bats per minute for fifteen twenty minutes, Like I have to really go hard where I'm sweaty and breathing heavy, you know, especially by jacket up to like one eighty one ninety like I'm doing like Tabata sprints on an air dine bike. That kind of stuff completely resets me. Yeah, hard kettlebell workouts like I'll do like a hard series where a minimum amount of rest in between. So I'm really pushing it. Once I relax, I'm back. It's like it whatever it is where your body just needs to like shake it up and like get all of it out of your system. It's like now I feel completely normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you might remember last time we talked about hormesis. Yeah, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, And that's what you're doing. You're putting your body into survival mode. So one of the reasons I mostly plants, why I take and a man and these other molecules, is to mimic that I don't work out like you do. I should that I don't and don't you Uh. I think partly because I tell myself I'm too busy, which is bullshit.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I need I need a partner who will motivate me. I think that would help. Maybe just get a trainer that's that's a solution. You get some chadder, get a trainer. I got some chad. Is that my money?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I can definitely forward one. Uh yeah, you know it's on me. I actually I will own that that I get it.
Speaker 1: I just was explaining this to my friend last night. It was like, I gotta start working. I'm like, just get a trainer, get a trainer, someone who's good, and that way they'll develop a program for you. All you have to do is just show up and do what they tell you to do. Just do it and it's mindless. You could just like just go through what they tell you to do and you'll just trust the process. You'll improve radically.
Speaker 2: All right, all right here, here's what we're gonna do. Okay, I'm gonna take years.
Speaker 1: What we're gonna do. You're gonna get me a jug of that fucking.
Speaker 2: Juice will swamp, all right, and you'll be my I'll be a well I will.
Speaker 1: I've done that before with my comedian friends. Really sure. Yeah, I'll do it the right way where I take them through it very easy. I don't have them worked out hard at all. Especially in the beginning. Everything is like nice and easy. It's like a little bit of strained, You're not gonna be exhausted afterwards, and we build you up. I'm a bill, I'm I'm a firm believer and not over taxing the system on people that are sedentary. I really think it's a slow, gradual process. I think you have to get better the same way you got sick over time. You can make radical changes in a short period of time, don't get me wrong. And even just a little bit of you know, moderately rigorous exercise a few days a week, well, a few days a week will give you great improvements. But I'm not one of those guys. Is like, you know, we're gonna do two hours today and you're gonna go to failure and you're gonna be throwing up in a garbage pan. You're not gonna do that again the next day. I want you to do it again the next I want you to have a nice workout where you know you're doing like ten push ups and ten sit ups and ten body weight squads, and then we're gonna do some of these kettlebell cleans and kettlebell and nothing hard. Like everything's gonna be like, oh okay, you put it down. You're fine, and I want you to leave rejuvenated, like you feel like, oh that was like exhilarating, nothing crazy, and then we'll slowly start to add a little bit over time. That's what I think the right thing to do with people who don't work out all the time. You can't just jump in and you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Like worsting and skipping meals. You just can't do a day or three without practicing.
Speaker 1: Well. It's also you're gonna get injured. And this is one of the main things that happens to people that dive right into the deep end of the pool when they start working out, is they get hurt, they get muscle polls, they get back aches, they got all these different things that happen because I think you just pushed your body too quickly. You know, it's like you're in boot camp. Like, well, you don't have to be in boot camp. This is not the way to do it. The way to do it is like slowly build up and trust the process. Slowly start by If you're overweight, like my friend Jelly Roll, he lost two hundred and fifty pounds, what did he do? Started walking? Just start walking walking around the neighborhood, walk around the block, walk upstairs, just slowly, and then change the diet and then add some stuff and next thing you know, you're doing this and write it all down to that's the other thing. Write down what you're gonna do, and write down how you feel, and then keep doing that. And if you could do that all the time, you'll start developing this like momentum that we were talking about. Were like, Okay, I'm on the course. I'm on a process, but it doesn't have to be like you you're exhausted and then you go to the lab and you're like, I can't even fucking concentrate. You know, I was doing Tobata sprints on the airdime machine, Like this is crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, that's it's really good advice, and I'm going to take you up on it. So let's say I'm lucky enough to come on the show again. Yeah, I'll wear a tight T shirt. Let's go, right, So twenty million people have to get on.
Speaker 1: The fucking goofy plant based diet.
Speaker 2: Well, speak about that, because that's one of the things we disagree on. I'm on a plant based diet because I've seen a lot of work on animals, at least that plants promote longevity. I eat a lot of protein.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because you're not an animal. You know that right. I'm not a mouse. I'm definitely an.
Speaker 2: Animal, but are human.
Speaker 1: Meat is the most nutrient dense food it is, it's available.
Speaker 2: I love meat.
Speaker 1: I love me.
Speaker 2: I believe that there are there are two states that we can be in. I should try meat, and then you can see because I've been measuring myself with rings and blood tests for last twenty years.
Speaker 1: You should try elk. I'll get you an elk steak.
Speaker 2: I'd love to try it.
Speaker 1: Sounds fair.
Speaker 2: I'm not against me. I will eat it and you'll be like WHOA, yeah, don't get me addicted to me.
Speaker 1: I feel it right away, like oh, you're sitting out to start firing. Your body starts like, yes, this is what we wanted to do.
Speaker 2: Well, here's some science, which is what I do. There are two states, this is my theory. There's the abundance mode, which is very good for health. You'll build muscle, you'll heal better. That's meat killed a mammoth. There's adversity mode, which is we're out of meat, we're going to we gotta eat roots and berries. That's adversity. We've got to run, running, exercise, eating less, that's adversity. Both are good for you. This one is pro survival. This one is pro growth. This one is longevity. This one is you're going to be stronger fit.
Speaker 1: How do you determine that though, in terms of like what is longevity versus what is just like health and vitality currently.
Speaker 2: Well, it's based on the last thirty years of research in a variety of animals.
Speaker 1: And she just doesn't have to do with the blue zones, does it? Nor?
Speaker 2: I read that recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, isn't that nuts.
Speaker 2: Fraud, Well, records are hard.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not just hard. A lot of it is actual fraud where people are getting checks for their grandpa and grandpa was dead, so they weren't writing it into the government. They didn't expose like this was the problem with Okinawa in particular, is that they would have to in order for these people to get taken off the list, they would have to inform the government if this person died, and they just didn't do it. And so they had this list of people that they were counting in their census that were like soul really, like this is crazy, what are you people? Doing even the oldest one hundred years old.
Speaker 2: The oldest person in the world apparently one hundred and twenty two. There's a theory, not proven, that the oldest person in the world was actually the daughter who was faking it to get taxes or avoid taxes. I think it was in France. I hope that that's not true.
Speaker 1: I bet it's true. People are full of shit.
Speaker 2: Well either way, the maximum human life spent's around one hundred and seventeen eighteen, which is still a lot more than we live.
Speaker 1: And what's really crazy is none of those people are doing everything right exactly. They're all smoking cigarettes and drinking wine and having a good time. And that's a factor that we really need to take into consideration. Loneliness and isolation and sadness are one of the greatest contributors to poor health outcomes. Number one, is it really Yeah?
Speaker 2: Robert Voldinger at Harvard had a study for I think it was forty years World War two vets. They looked at everything blood pressure, cholesterol. The number one thing that predicted longevity in those men was having a reliable partner.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, yeah, so not just a reliable partner, someone that you love that's true. Someone that you want to be around all the time, you enjoy them, you still enjoy their company, which is possible. Most people don't believe that's possible.
Speaker 2: Well, your role model is that.
Speaker 1: I love my wife. I have fun with her, like we I've been with her for a while, I've been married for seventeen years. I enjoy her. I enjoy hanging out with her. She's cool. Yeah, like she's a fun And I have friends that aren't in situations like that, and it's it's so bad when you're like, I have a friend who just we're actually talking last night. He just got out of a crazy relationship where he's dating this girl for seven years. Was chaos and this and that. And I said to him and he was like, he's forty, and he goes, I don't think I'm ever gonna have a relationship again. He goes, it was so bad. He goes, being single feels so good. And I said, there's an old saying it's so much better to be alone than to wish you were alone. And he's like, yeah, that's it because he was like with this crazy lady and he was like, I just wish I was And he finally got free and now he's like, I think I'm ruined, and I'm like, it doesn't have to be like that. You can find someone that you actually love and you really enjoy their time, you enjoy being with them. It's possible.
Speaker 2: There's good people out there.
Speaker 1: But you got to also be someone that that kind of person wants to be with. That's the other thing for sure.
Speaker 2: And stress of relationship. We've seen and studies that clock with those chemicals on the DNA, it accelerates when you're on distress. We'll go going through a breakup.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh see it.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I've seen people going through divorces and it's just like it takes decades off of their life. They just look wrecked and it takes a year or two for them to like achieve equilibrium. Again.
Speaker 2: It's hard, it is, it is. I went through that actually just during COVID when our family got shoved in a house together, and yeah, it was brutal.
Speaker 1: It was unexpected to Wow, that's the stress test, right.
Speaker 2: It was super stress. It was super stress. It's funny that without the pandemic we might have been able to make it, but forcing us all to be in one little house with no internet working. Well, it was tough, but any case, I'm great now, I'm very happy. So, but I do know how bad it can get, and it's brutal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bad relationships can fucking wreck people. I mean it can wreck your health. But also it's not just relationships in terms of your significant other, husband, wife, partner, whatever you want to call it, but also bad relationships at work, Like if you have a tyrant for a boss, and you know, and every day you're getting you're you're working over time and you're getting yelled at, and you're you're on the phone, and you're you're at home trying to keep up with work, and you never get like that that kind of relationship. Well, you have like this, like antagonistic terrible relationship with people that you work with. That's bad too. Oh for sure, your body doesn't differentiate between romantic relationships and those kind of relationships are almost equally bad.
Speaker 2: The cortosol will be high. This will accelerate here. I used to keep fish. I was one of those people at school and the fish that got picked on by the dominant fish was small, like color lived short. It's it's biology. If you're picked on and you're stressed, you're gonna age faster. Fortunately, I think you're probably the same. At my age, I've managed to weed out most of the jerks, and I don't work with them at all. I've got a great partner who we have a hobby of longevity together, so that I'm not lucky in that regard.
Speaker 1: Now we found a new one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, longevity specialist. Imagine that.
Speaker 1: Congratulations. Well that's nice too, right. I find someone who just like thinks so you think, and has similar likes like you say. Yeah, that definitely can help.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of my friends that are really good relationships. Their significant other has the same hobby as them, you know, like whatever it is they both like to climb mountains or whatever the fuck it is. Find a thing. But that helps too. Well, so you actually enjoy spending time together doing something that you're both really excited about.
Speaker 2: That helps to So relationships is one and the other four major ones from that study were don't smoke, don't drink, get enough rest, and get exercise. And that was enough to extend by fifteen years.
Speaker 1: But what about those old people that live forever and do smoke and drink, because that's kind of weird.
Speaker 2: Well, they're a point zero one percent. They're not examples of what is that?
Speaker 1: Really? What it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 1: So the majority of people who get old and live to like centenarians, Like, what are the common things that they have?
Speaker 2: The big one is that they don't stress a lot. They usually have a good sense of humor. Mm. Interesting, right, they haven't been overweight, and they say that they typically couldn't remember when they lost got sick.
Speaker 1: I wonder how much time Twitter takes off your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should study that. It's already taken a lot off. Mind, it does, and if you read the comments even.
Speaker 1: Yep, exactly, I'm so much happier since I swore off of all that stuff. So it's just not good for you. It's really really bad for you. It's also you're constantly dealing with the problems of the whole world, which I think is a lot for a human being that lives in a community, in a neighborhood. It's that shit that's happening over there really shouldn't be a primary focus of your life. Like where you're in the moment actually doing your life. It's not the same You're not in the same area as this problem but yet this problem is overwhelming. You're all day long life.
Speaker 2: And you're in fital flight constant today all day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're worried about the climate. Oh my god, Like there's so much. There's so much that freaks people out that really shouldn't be affecting you at.
Speaker 2: All, exactly, And actually the world doesn't change if you don't read it.
Speaker 1: So it's that's that's key. That's the key. But then you're like, well, you need you're passing off the responsibility to other people. You should get involved, Like, eh, you should get involved. I'm gonna be over here.
Speaker 2: That's right. Well, if you focus on doing something good and you're good at it, yes, like yourself, I think that you don't need to be doing more than that.
Speaker 1: You can't focus on everything, and anybody who tells you can is a fool. Or anybody who tells you what you should or shouldn't be focusing on is a fool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. A few years ago, someone at a talk that I gave said you should be working on climate change. Fuck, I said, after I cure aging, I'll get to climate change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once you go to China and tell them stop making coal factories. Shut the fuck up, Just shut up, you No, you're not going to fix it. Yeah, yeah, somebody is. Somebody's working on it, and that's their going. God bless them, good luck. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, what I try to spend my day is efficiently helping the world so that people ask me why do I study aging in the first place, And it really is that I'm trying to please my grandmother. Like some of else, she was the one that told me that I need to make the world a better place. And she's gone. That's what she said when I was four, been that ever since. She told me two things. Humans are evil. She lived through World War two in Hungary and oh wow, the Russians came in and raped everybody, she said, and then so she escaped to Australia. And then she said that the other issue is that we don't do enough as humans to better the world, and so I had that stuck in my mind. She also, by the way, said oh, we all die, and I thought that that's not really fair, is it? And that set me on this path make the.
Speaker 1: World a better place and we all die, and you're like, ah.
Speaker 2: And what I've noticed with my kids is that even if you tell them that, they forget about it because it's brutal to think about death every day. Yeah, but for some reason, it's just stuck in my head and every day I'm like, another one hundred and fifty thousand people are going to die today due to aging related diseases. So my lab is mission oriented. If we are day late with something, it's a lot of people that are suffering potentially avoidable diseases.
Speaker 1: That's why it's sort of understandable that people like show up outside of your lab and like like, I need to talk to you. Ah, I need this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, blind people want to get in the trials. It's big, and I think if the trial works, is going to be a very strange world, especially for my lab and for me. But we'll see, and even if it doesn't work this time, the science is strong enough that will figure it out. We will do this. It's just a question of when.
Speaker 1: And so do you think that AI is going to have a significant impact on the kind of improvements that you're able to.
Speaker 2: It already is we're going super fast, and AI has revolutionized biology. It's revolutionary everything, of course, but particularly in biology, where we used to have to read fifteen papers a day. Now we can read a million if we want. It's totally different. Wow, yeah, it's super brain. A nineteen year old came to my lab this summer and the lab grows from twenty to forty people and we're trying to figure out how do these three genes reset the cell? How does the cell remember what it was thirty forty years ago? Where's that information stored in the cell? And I've got this theory that there's some new biology, there's a record in the DNA somewhere. And I gave him that task. I said, can you just go to the databases of the whole world look at all the data that's there, is exobites of data, and see if my prediction is true, or at least you can get evidence for it. Two weeks later he came back and the whole team, not the whole ting, but five other people were smiling. We have to show you something. David right, come in to my office. We sat down. He shows up on the board on this LCD screen. I think we found the smoking gun for what your theory suggests. And he used AI to process all that data and the AI came back and said, yeah, you're probably right, and it's a nineteen year old straight out of high school who did this, That did something that the whole field and all these professors and all these fancy serves could not figure out until now.
Speaker 1: That is phenomenal. That's so promising, it's so exciting. It is.
Speaker 2: I mean, the future really does belong to people who can wrangle AI even on their phone. I think people on their phones are going to be making medicines or at least designing them, or bombs. That's the problem. And bioweapons, right, I mean you recently had, was it Anna on the show to talk about bio weapons and this kind of stuff That is a big worry. I actually had to disclose to the US government when I first got here that I did have the capability of making a bioweapon.
Speaker 1: The Anna Jacobsen episode that we just did on bioweapons was absolutely terrifying. She's yeah, I mean, she scared the shit out of the world with her nuclear war book, and now she's scaring everybody with her bioweapons book.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's scary.
Speaker 2: It is. What I've got is a database of all known pathogens and new ones that could come. So I'm trying to do my bit there to help the world if it happens again pandemic or something unnatural.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that would be I mean, when you think about diseases that people get that just like wreck their entire body. If you really do have an original copy somewhere in their genome of what they look like as a healthy person, and you could switch that back on with a factory reboot, I mean, we could potentially get rid of all diseases, which is just bananas.
Speaker 2: And injuries, fixed injuries, grown new limbs, potentially. There's a new paper that just came out a few days ago that showed that the tips of the fingers of baby mice can be coaxed once they've healed over as a stub to regrow part of the finger.
Speaker 1: Haven't people done that before? Yeah?
Speaker 2: They found just two factors were enough, so it's not that hard. The point is we've got the instructions to be young and to regrow body parts in our body, we just don't use them.
Speaker 1: That's nuts. So like a salamander can grow an extra leg or a leg that gets chopped off, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I believe we still have that capability, we just don't use it. It just didn't make sense to regrow a limbit was quicker and safe to just heal it over as a stub and move on. But salamanders, which get their limbs presumably eaten, pretty often maintain that ability. So give us you know, I wouldn't say that we could evolve this, but I think using a combination of our technology plus this new technology that we're seeing come out, where these two factors can grow new limbs. I don't see a reason why we can't become like a dead pool where injury doesn't hurt us, aging can't hurt us, and we can regrow body parts.
Speaker 1: How far do you think we are away from being able to regrow body parts?
Speaker 2: Oh? I mean, realistically, probably a couple of decades. But I've seen enough that's not that far. I've seen enough to know that it's doable.
Speaker 1: A couple of decades ago was two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Well, things are going super fast. I mean ten years ago we didn't even know aging was reversible, and now it's in humans.
Speaker 1: That's nuts. Think of that, Well, two thousand and AI, there was no AI.
Speaker 2: Right in twenty nineteen, it was an idea that we had just got the result in mice, and I divulged that to the world, then it was published, and then we're in humans now. So if it works, then you know it's going to be a.
Speaker 1: Very different world, and you're you feel very confidently that some of this stuff is going to work.
Speaker 2: Well, it's going to work. I don't know if this trial is going to be successful, but there's going to be a lot of people doing these trials. I have some competition, now, do you know about that? No, So since I started my company Life Biosciences, which is doing the trials with ERA one hundred, others have John joined in and the party so Jeff Bezos and others have started Alto's Farmer. They are based in three cities around the world. They have a few billion dollars to catch up. Sam Oltman has retro bio, and let's see Brian Armstrong from Coinbase, the CEO, started one called New Limit and they've got a lot of money, old billions.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's good that there's all these people involved in this.
Speaker 2: Ill's good?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Competition, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing this for my own personal benefit. I want humanity to be changed the way it could be.
Speaker 1: And the more people like Jeff Bezos, the more people with a large bank account that are invested in this, the better fantastic. And of course a guy like Bezos, he's balling out of control. Why wouldn't you want to live forever?
Speaker 2: Well, what's left if you've got everything else?
Speaker 1: You know? Well, also it's like it's like if you've got the amount of money that he has and you can tackle all these different issues, you know, like his space program that he's working on, all these different things Like of course, why would you want to do cool things? Like what's cooler than being able to grow limbs?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what's cooler than being able to cure all diseases and reverse aging?
Speaker 2: Well there's I don't think there's much cooler that. That's why I'm doing it, because that I think can be the biggest gift to humanity is what you just said. So I don't know if I'll achieve it, probably not in my lifetime, but at least I've moved the needl and pushed the ball globally in that direction.
Speaker 1: I wonder if we're going to get to a point in time where we can engineer consciousness in terms of like find out like you find out someone's a sociopath, You find out someone's a kleptomaniac or someone's an arsonist, like whatever it is. Like if you could figure out like what these little flaws are in the way the mind works, if you can completely map it out and go, oh, this is the error. This is where you're not making these two connections.
Speaker 2: Of course, they'll just biology and engineering. There's nothing that stops us. And this is the century that we are able to control our own biology, starting with cancer, heart disease, and aging.
Speaker 1: A true utopian world of peaceful people. We peace harmony, but.
Speaker 2: Healthy, not peaceful. I don't think world peace. I think curing aging is easier than world peace.
Speaker 1: Well if everybody achieved a state of consciousness that allowed them to understand that we're all in this together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do we do that?
Speaker 1: Mushrooms? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well there are certain companies working on this.
Speaker 1: I know. That's what's interesting, right, Like Eli Lilly is involved in pharmaceuticals. Well, the pharmaceutical company rather is involved in psychledelics.
Speaker 2: They just bought a tie I think it was like.
Speaker 1: Three point eight billion dollars, so they're all in with real capital. Yeah. I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah me too, that's great. I love that they're doing that. We need more of that. There's too much depression on anxiety in.
Speaker 1: The world and drug addiction. I mean, that's why I went to the White House and got the President to get involved in this executive order on fiber gain. Yes, because I've talked to so many people that have I've had their life completely turned around with IBA gain, so many people that were opioid addiction and also brain injuries. Oddly enough, brain injuries, all sorts of TBI and CTE that they've had like phenomenal results from this ebogatry, you know, which is so crazy that this thing had been around for so long and is a schedule one substance in the United States for no reason whatsoever. There's no risk of addiction, there is no recreational use of it. It's a horrible experience. I've not done it, but apparently it's fucking terrible and it lasts for like twenty four hours. Like no one's going to be doing that for funzis Well.
Speaker 2: The question I think that comes up with all of these drugs is do you have to have the trip and experience the craziness to get the better to get the benefit? And I don't think, so I think you shoud be able to separate.
Speaker 1: Well, you know they've actually figured this out with LSD. Yeah, right, do you know about this? Okay, So they've engineered a different version of LSD that doesn't give you the hallucinogenic effects, but does give you the benefits in terms of like the cognitive effects.
Speaker 2: I tell you, guys or someone else.
Speaker 1: I don't know what company has done this, so you can find that, Jamy.
Speaker 2: I think it might be a time.
Speaker 1: But what they've they've essentially done, and I think it's it's basically in the lab work stage right now. I don't think that's applied to humans yet. But what they've done is engineered a version of LSD that has all the positive effects that LSD has in terms of like introspection, being able to rethink and remap and reset the way you view things, but without like watching people's face melt and thinking the demons are eating you and all the weird stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that comes outstanding. It should happen with psychedelics the way it's happened with all medicines. Right. We start with yes, something from the bark of a willow tree, and then we have espirin, Right, not eating bark anymore, right, But.
Speaker 1: Sometimes the bark is the really way the way to go right. Unfortunately, sometimes that's the part of the problem is these pharmaceutical drug companies they patent these natural compounds and you know, use petroleum based synthetic methods of creating these medications now that they can sell and profit wildly off of, whereas really the best way to do it is actually to get the plant.
Speaker 2: It's true that there's the whole issue though that if it's not approved, then it's the wild West. You don't know what you're getting, right, That's true too. We need a middle ground. We need something you can get faster in the market that's known to be safe.
Speaker 1: So what we're gonna need is mind reading, because we need to know if people are full shit. That's we're gonna need.
Speaker 2: We're gonna need gotta work on that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that's that's gonna change humanity more than anything.
Speaker 2: I think you've got a good bullshit detector.
Speaker 1: It's okay. There's a few people that have snuck through. Unfortunately, you know some people they get through and they're like it takes a while, and you're like, ah ah shit, they.
Speaker 2: Ney have coming back on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there's that. It's the show. You know, you learn a lot from a person in about three hours. You know, you can kind of after a while, you can kind of see little things, and you have to be forgiving, and you know, you have to be charitable. And some people are just nervous and they mistate things, or they exaggerate things, or they forget something, they get it wrong. But then there's people that are just essentially they really don't care about anybody but themselves. And some of those people are really good at pretending to be people. They're really good at pretending, you know, they're really good at pretending to be like a normal person. Oh, here's the LSG thing LSD thing. Roight researchers recently engineered an LSD analog called how do you say plus minus JRT that appears to keep many of the LSD's brain beneficial and cognitive effects while dramatically reducing and possibly eliminating it's a hallucinogenic trip in animal studies, so it's almost the same molecule as LSD, but scientists swap the positions of just two atoms in the structure. The subtle change makes JRT bind more selectively to serotonin receptors in a way that promotes neuroplasticity growth through a pair of synapses but minimizes llucinogenic signaling. That is, that's incredible antidepressant. Look at this strong antidepressant effects. That DOS is reported to be around one hundred times more potent than ketabe in standard rodent tests. Cognitive benefits, improved cognitive flexibility and performance in tasks modeling the negative and cognitive symptoms of schizophrenia. Holy shit, that's incredible.
Speaker 2: When when and where do we get it?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's fairly recent UC Davis study. They just developed it. Shout out to our AI sponsor, Perplexity for providing us with this information. So this is again I mean, like we could just get this information now through AI. Like I mean this that AI for our show has been gigantic. I mean just the ability to just ask it a question instead of Google searching and have to go through all these different fucking articles. What does it say? What is that? Who's right? What's this one? What's the website? You just ask AI and Perplexity just gives us all the information. So proceedings from National Academy of science research is that California of San Diego Davis excuse me, University of California Davis reported the creation of JRT chemically modified first of LSD. So this is like what year, so twenty five, so last year. So it's exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right that the timeline at a minimum usually takes that long. But that's exciting. At least the artiple is there that you don't need to lose.
Speaker 1: Well, how about for schizophrenia. Yeah, that's incredible thing. Yeah, I mean that that is incredible because that is one of the saddest things to watch somebody fall into the grips of schizophrenia.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've seen people fall in and come out, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: Huh. I thought for the Bullshit Detective, we could have an AI that either dings or has a green or a red on your forehead.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty good at it, but I think no one's perfect at it. And I think ultimately, if we get to a place, whether it's a technological innovation or what have you, where we can actually read the contents of someone's thoughts, I don't think that's outside the realm of possibility.
Speaker 2: You'd need an implant, I think.
Speaker 1: But Elon says, the neuralink is going to be able to pull that off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you're.
Speaker 1: Going to be able to talk without using words like what. I think he's right though. I think if we all like lock into a hive mind, and then if we develop like through AI, if we develop a universal language worldwide.
Speaker 2: Well we already have that.
Speaker 1: What do we have?
Speaker 2: Well, the new headphones from a big company that I won't name. You can translate.
Speaker 1: Translate, yes, translate, but it's translating into English. If we just all the problem with that is there's context, There's all sorts of different things that other cultures, different languages. When it's deciphered and changed and translated into English, you lose a lot of the meaning and the context is weird. If we develop a universal language.
Speaker 2: That'd be ideal. English is a good substitute. I was shocked. I'm always shocked traveling globally, how many people can just speak English now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty amazing. It's because America rules you're welcome.
Speaker 2: Well we have to thank Britain for that. America should say you're welcome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're they're cute. They did a good job starting out, but we took the ball.
Speaker 2: And that is so who's next? Cha? God?
Speaker 1: No, I don't want to learn Chinese. It's too hard. It's all the fucking characters. That's ridiculous. Even people that I know they could speak Mandarin, they can't write it, you know, to like to get to that level. I have a couple friends that speak fluent Mandarin and they can't write it writing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that the students in my lab who come from China, they're being picked on by the immigration, but they don't want to go home. They love it.
Speaker 1: Here, I'm sure because they're stealing all your secrets and bring it back.
Speaker 2: Then there's a lot of regulation on that now as a scientist.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh I can imagine. Yeah, I'm into because that is an actual, real threat exactly. So the people that come through my lab have to be vetted now, right. But the people that come over here and experience the kind of freedom that you have in America, Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I came here from Australia. Australia is pretty free. But compared to Australia, America is so different. I can't go back. What's the big difference that I feel? I can do anything I want if I just put my mind to it. There's not social barriers, there's not monetary barriers, at least for a white male like me who's got a degree. I know it's not for everybody, but I feel like, if I want to start a company, I've got a great idea, I can do that here. Fat chance you'll do that in Australia. People aren't willing to invest in great ideas down there. Not often.
Speaker 1: That's a bummer. Do you think they're change anytime?
Speaker 2: Soone? No, US is so unique. There's a lot of money flowing. People are willing to place a bet and even lose the money. That's rare Australians. Most of the world, if not all, people are scared to lose their money if they have it. Here, it's like, Okay, I risked it. I help the world. I feel good. It's a very generous country, very and I love it here. It's when I arrived here, I just feel I'm home.
Speaker 1: I love hearing that from people that have come from somewhere else because it kind of reaffirms why people in America are so proud of what this country is should be. Yeah, and that's why it bumps me out where people are so mad at America in terms of I get looking in terms of foreign policy and some of the things that are wrong with America, but just in overall, this experiment in self government is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched the TV show was it? The American Experiment came out for the anniversary fiftieth I.
Speaker 1: Haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: You got to see it?
Speaker 1: Well, what's right?
Speaker 2: It's the founding fathers and their lives and how they were fighting and what was going on behind the scenes. They were just young kids. They were in their.
Speaker 1: Twenties, thirties, I know that nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just Benjamin Franklin was the old dude. But they were so young. But they were they were in the middle of it. They kind of realized they were making history. But so many things could have gone wrong. We would not have had the United States if just a few votes went one way or the other.
Speaker 1: A few wars, yeah, all.
Speaker 2: The battles that exactly. The US was losing the war. Agon's Britain badly. Yeah, the French. Yeah, yeah, we don't think the French enough.
Speaker 1: Actually, I know, right, somehow they became our enemy. Remember during the Gulf War, they turned French fries into freedom fries because people hated the French.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but everyone hates the French because they're so arrogant. Sorry, French. I have some friends who are good friends who are French.
Speaker 1: I think generally when people are arrogant, it's because they did something fucking awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, in the eighteen hundreds they did they conquered Europe. I'm not sure if that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Here's a fun perplexia search I just did.
Speaker 2: I said to Americans have a risk gene.
Speaker 1: A risk gene. Yeah. One of the best studied variants in the dopamine perceptor gene d r D four, specifically the seven repeat seven R version. It's associated in some studies with novelty seeking, impulsivity, and higher financial or social risk taking. I wonder if I have that gene for sure? This seven probably not? Who knows. The seven R variant is unevenly distributed around the world. It's populations in populations across the America, as it shows up in roughly forty eight percent of chromosons studied, while in East Asia it's found in only about two percent. Wow, WHOA, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: It'll come down to genetics.
Speaker 1: Evolutionary work suggest it became more common in groups that migrated further after leaving Africa, and those lineages are strongly represented in the Americas today. That that actually makes thinking of the people that you have the balls to fucking come here. Yeah, were your balls. You don't have to do that much, but you can still have balls to gamble, And yes.
Speaker 2: That must be a but then Australian should have it.
Speaker 1: That completely meant well sort of, you guys got forced there, like they moved everybody over there because they were criminals.
Speaker 2: Right, this this d d R gene that you just sawt that was a d R four. I know a bit about it because I'm writing it in my next book, d R D four, Thanks Jamie. I call this the f U gene because I'm trying to figure out what makes humans special over other animals, and this is one of them that we are seekers of explorers, and it's it turns out it turns out that this gene is turned on in teenagers. It gets eventually switched off, not totally, but that might be why teenagers say f you to their parents. But it's a way genetically to get them out of the nest, like, oh, I can't stand these parents. They suck. They're idiots. I'm out of here. That's in this in this gene.
Speaker 1: Well, it's also I, as a parent, have been very aware of not doing that to my kids, like not forcing them into something that they don't want to do, or pushing them in any general direction, but rather encouraging them to seek out their interests and encouraging them to just like take chances. And if I ever correct them, if I ever get upset about something, one of the first things that I tell them is, I've done all everything that you've done. I've made every mistake, I've fucked up. You're smarter than me. I've fucked up everything. I've lied to my parents, I lied to teachers. I've done everything that you're doing. So it's this is not a unique thing. I'm just telling you from my own personal experience, in my perspective. This is why I think because I love you and I want you to do well in life, and I just want you to recognize this. And that's how I correct my kids. It's never like you listen to me because I'm your father.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the old way we will raise it doesn't work.
Speaker 1: No, and it makes you resentment, but also probably makes you want to do better than your parents, So like motivates you in a certain way. Like my parents were not risk takers at all, and my whole life I've been like a wild risk taker.
Speaker 2: That's really same. Yeah, I was resentful that my father didn't have enough ambition. Now he's a great guy. We're best friends. Actually it's been the greatest thing for me. But one of the things I did with my kids you reminded me is he's nineteen. He's a well built guy. Because we were going to the gym for a number of years. I've tried to train him in health, but he spent the summer with me. He's literally still working for me this summer to help with the podcast in the magazine we're about to launch. And Benjamin's his name. He's the best kid. But he slacked off. He was like, ben I put you in charge of social media. You haven't posted in a week. What's going on? Well, you know, I slept in blah blah. So I had to think, am I gonna get mad at him like I would a normal employee, or do I treat him differently? And I decided to treat him differently, probably because he's my son. But I didn't want to rule the relationship. But what I did, as I said, you know, I really think you can do better. I think everything you've done, the weightlifting, the calculus, you're amazing, but in this you're not. So what's going on? And it worked. We become closer. He's really into it, he's doing a good job.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: So that's the way to do it. I think you can't be too hot on them and say you've fucked up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that kind of can work, but it's a blunt instrument, and it doesn't work on everybody, and it also develops resentment, and they also they miss out on experiencing your perspective as a like for them to understand that you are just a person who's lived longer than them and that you can help them navigate this road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you don't have to make the stay same mistakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's why you're helping them. You're talking to them about this, not because you're just a mean dad who likes to fucking tell the kids what to do. Because we've all experienced that. I mean I had friends grown up as fathers will fucking scream at them and throw things and beat them and it's like God, and then you just grow up fucking traumatized and always resentful and angry instead of just recognizing that, like, oh, I'm so fortunate that my parents have this perspective where they can explain to me why I'm going through what I'm going through and how they got through it.
Speaker 2: Like a mentor. You're not the best friend, you're the mentor. Yes, my best friend doesn't work either.
Speaker 1: No, that doesn't work either, because that just allows too much shenanigans. You know, you have to have some rules, you know, you have to have some some sort of regulations, but you also.
Speaker 2: Kids turned out, Well, what's that? How do your kids turn?
Speaker 1: I'm so so lucky, so fucking lucky. I mean, I feel so fortunate. They're so smart and ambitious and driven and so it's wild. It's wild to watch, you know, and talented. And it's and also like we never went through that period where they hit teenage yeers and they hate you like that. God, that's so nice for you. I mean, my youngest she get upset at me sometimes about certain things, but she bounces back quickly. It's never like some kids where they just grow to hate their parents, like.
Speaker 2: Forgen maybe they don't have strong one.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that. I think it's how you communicate with them. I really do. I think that's a big factor. You have to communicate with them like you truly care about their development. And the most important thing. I think. The most important thing I think is that I always tell them, whatever you've done, whatever mistake you've made, I made way worse mistakes. I was like, I am not coming at you from a flawless person. You know, I'm not coming at you from the perspective of someone who like you're an idiot. I figure that out. You should figure it out. Like no. I whenever they from the time they were really little, anytime I had to correct them, I said, I did everything that you're doing everything.
Speaker 2: I threw my food on the floor too.
Speaker 1: Yes, all the above, every whatever fucking stupid thing you've done as a kid. I guarantee you.
Speaker 2: That is great advice, really great advice. So I hope everyone listening heres that because I actually had to learn the hard way my first kid. I did what my parents did, which was you can't say that. Yeah, and my first is a lot more rebellious and distant than my third.
Speaker 1: That is interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it actually is really true. I've seen it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I thought I was going to kill their motivation, but it doesn't at all. Well, I thought, like, you know, making things easy for them and not being strict, Like maybe it's good to be strict because then you just have this determination. I'll show everybody. I don't think that was my thing as a child, like I'll fucking show you. But I don't think everybody needs that. I think you're much better off having a healthy relationship with ambition, where you're excited about things because you're passionate about them, and you find great reward in being creative or being enthusiastic about something exactly.
Speaker 2: And open their eyes to the world that exists. Yes, we used to do work experience. You go and do a job and that's your work experience. The reason I wanted my son Ben to work with me is he can see how what it's like to be an entrepreneur and build something and be excited and work is super fun. I think a lot of kids just don't get that experience. They don't know what's possible, right, and just showing them the world is what we can do as parents.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Yeah, and you know. I mean, some people don't have that at home unfortunately. But that's one of the cool things about the world that we live in is that kids today have access to so many different perspectives now because of the Internet. There's so many different podcasts and YouTube conversations and different things where they can just take a little tool from that, just take a little peace from that and apply it to the way they interact with the world.
Speaker 2: For sure. And I would encourage parents to give their kids stuff to read. And we talked about social media, how that's just addictive. I saw how my kids wanted to just scroll through their phones then read. And if they can't read a book, give them a magazine. I'd subscribe to not Geo National Geographic for my kids, And I think get them used to reading. It's going to be a lost art if we don't know.
Speaker 1: Isn't that nuts? I maybe read ten percent of the things that I consume. I consume so much in audio just for time reasons, because there's so much There's so much time where I'm driving my car, or I'm working out, or I'm in the sauna, or I'm in the hyperbaric chamber, or I'm in the red light therapy.
Speaker 2: That's reading three res.
Speaker 1: It is similar, but I think it's only like seventy percent of reading. I don't think it's one hundred percent. I don't think you get the full effect. But it's still way better than not doing it, you know. But I'm I'm aware that like sitting there concentrating, actually reading a book without hearing another person's voice talking, there's another mechanism, there's another thing that's going on. That's it's a different way you interact with the material, whether it's nonfiction or fiction. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like the fact that I can listen to you and I'm doing something else. I have to sit down, can move, go for a walk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's for me. It's it's just I'm I have too many interests. I have way too many things that I do, and so it's very hard for me to just allocate a certain amount of time to sit there in silence and read. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I use reading to fall asleep. That's a good way.
Speaker 1: It does do that, right, It's kind of nuts how well it does that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although I'm finding it's harder to read now that my eyes on young need some of my gen I've tried that. Does it work?
Speaker 1: For you. Oh yeah, Oh, I mean people are skeptical about this and they think I'm full of shit. No, I don't need reading glasses anymore. Really, yes, I had reading I always have these fucking things laying around. I don't even use them anymore.
Speaker 2: It's awesome. Yeah, there's a lot of signs now.
Speaker 1: The red light it's real. I can tell you as a regular user for multiple years. It took a while. It took like I was waiting for it in the beginning, like what the fuck In fact, and not only that, in the beginning, because I don't close my eyes in the red light bed, I thought it was making things blurrier. I was like, oh my god, am I fucking up my eyesight like listening to these assholes? But no, it just took a while, and then over the course of like many months, I started seeing some small improvements, and then I started seeing some pretty big improvements over the course of about a year. Whereas now it's not My eyes aren't perfect. They aren't like they were when I was twenty, but they are way better than they were when I was fifty.
Speaker 2: Oh often did you have to do that?
Speaker 1: I do it three times a week minimum. That's what I try to do, but sometimes I'll do it five days a week. Well, I just get in there and it's twenty minutes. I lay in a light bed, close my eyes, open my eyes whatever. It seems to work on your vision, even if you wear a blindfold.
Speaker 2: What about people that kind of a bed?
Speaker 1: Can you get a little, Yes, you can get. Well, there's a company called it's called Jewve right j u u V is that the name of the company. They were our sponsor at one point in time. That's how I started it. They had it's just a light panel that you stand in front of and that that works too. That but this one, the one that I got a red and near infrared light therapy devices juve joo vv medical grade light therapy devices. I had one of those and that's when I started seeing benefits. But the the big one that I got, I got from Gary Breca from his company, and it's it's a like a fucking tanning bed and you lie in it. And that one's amazing. But that's expensive. But I don't think you have to have that for those kind of improvements. Also improves collagen your skin, makes you look better and the but for me, the most obvious and profound was the improvement in my vision?
Speaker 2: Well, it makes sense. The signs behind red light wasn't there ten years ago and people were questioning it. But now we know if you shine certain wavelengths like near infra red on cells the mitochondria, which are important for reversing aging or slowing it get redd up. It's actually related to viagra. Long story, but viagra and red light if something is in common, and it does help mitochondria, and that's very important for the eye, that mighty chondria actually the most important in any part of your body. The eye is the most important part. And part of the reason we lose our vision is the mitochondria don't make enough energy for.
Speaker 1: The How come you haven't done red light therapy before.
Speaker 2: Then, Well, I do, but not routinely. So I have one of those bricks that I turn on while I'm in the shower, and I have a red light cap for my hair, which there's some evidence.
Speaker 1: Alien what I do is I, yeah, it does.
Speaker 2: It looks a little bit silly. I don't worri it in public. I do lower it and I look at it and it shines in my eyes and on my face in the hopes that it might help you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have one that you wear like doctor Doom, like fits over your face and blast red light and your whole face.
Speaker 2: I definitely feel a bit weird afterwards, and I can see speckles. But I think the science says that it can help.
Speaker 1: Well, all I know is my own anecdotal experience, and for me, it has radically improved my vision.
Speaker 2: That's a good tip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it stopped. It was my vision was degrading, like it was. It was pretty odd. Like I first started using like reading glasses like a one x like it made it a little better. I'm like, oh, this a little better, makes it clearer. And then I went to two and then I was using two point five and it made it better, but it was like, God, this is annoying. And then if I would try to read an email and I didn't have my reading glasses, I couldn't read shit. Now crystal clear, Yeah, no problem at all.
Speaker 2: Well, so my latest show is about the eye and how to protect the eye's health, and so there's a lot you can do, actually, supplements, red light, other things.
Speaker 1: I take supplements for it too. I should mention that I take No, I have no affiliation with these people with pure encapsulations makes a supplement called macular support, and I take that and it's a combination of lutine and a few other things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a trial a while ago that showed that taking xanthine and others as to xanthine, lute lutine, they're good for the eye. So you can get products like that.
Speaker 1: Do you take it?
Speaker 2: Not that brand, but yes, I take something similar.
Speaker 1: And has it helped you at all?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I haven't done an experiment.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, if you weren't taking it, maybe you would have more degeneration.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know I've got neoperfect vision. I don't need glasses, do you really? Yeah? Near perfect, neoperfect. I mean I think low light.
Speaker 1: Low light is with me. Yeah, where I'll go to a restaurant with my kids and they can read the menu and I'm like, that is so embarrassing. You can read that? How do you read that? I can't read shit?
Speaker 2: I don't know why?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Well, this is what I think. So we know from my lab's work that the retina, because it has tens of thousands of endings that pick up the light. As you get older, those nerves lose their identity and they're not working as well. And what we do is with our therapy, we can restore those nerves back to being functional nerves. And that's why mice and monkeys that lose their retinal function get their perfect vision back again. We're reminding those cells that have forgotten how to work. So in your eye and my eye were twenty two months apart, that those nerves, about half of them have forgotten how to work properly. So we want to fix that and go back to being young. It's not that our nerves are gone. They're not dead. They're right there and we can restore them. And that's going to be true for a lot of organs, is that the cells are still there. They just need to be reminded how to work again.
Speaker 1: What are the potential negative consequences of this kind of work when you sit up at night and you worry, I hope it doesn't do this. Is it cancer? Is that the big one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's though we've done a lot of work to allay real fears, it is possible that if we go too young we can cause displasia, which is cells doing what they shouldn't, or if they multiply and spread. That would because if.
Speaker 1: You make the cells too young, like what I was saying before about, don't turn me into a baby.
Speaker 2: Right, we don't want to go there. That's what Yamanaka did and got the Nobell for it. But that's not good here. But we never see our cells turn into stem cells again, we can't. We had mice that we left it, left the gene therapy on for twenty one months in the eye and nineteen months in the whole body of the animal, and if anything, they had less tumors than the ones that didn't get treated. And we actually know from a wonderful student in my lab and a lot she's a PhD student. She found that when you turn on these three same genes not in the I but in cancer cells and tumors growing in mice, human cancers growing in mice, they shrink. So we think it might actually help for cancer as well, which was a nice surprise.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's incredible.
Speaker 2: It makes sense. Right if you wake up a cancer cell and it says, crap, I shouldn't be growing. I should be a you know, a liver cell or something similar. Now it kills itself. So we see that the cells wake up, they realize what they were thirty years ago, and then they killed themselves.
Speaker 1: What is on the horizon in terms of like what would you like to accomplish or would you like to work on that you can't do currently?
Speaker 2: Well, lots lots. You know, funding in my lab got completely cut last year, and we've managed to survive through donations.
Speaker 1: We while the funding get cut. Was it a USAID thing?
Speaker 2: You remember there was a spat between Harvard and the federal government. All of the funding to Harvard Medical School got cut.
Speaker 1: Was that during the time where the president was defending those anti semitic comments on campuses?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well allegedly. I'm not getting into the politics.
Speaker 1: No, you need to get into politics. But during that whole thing, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So what I almost had to fire most of the people in my lab during that episode was quite scary, but I raised so now my lab survives on donations, not on federal government money. Thank you, friends, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing is, you've accomplished enough where people are like, I think he's onto something and I want to live forever.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm lucky. Most scientists can't raise money like that. So really, really, it's a blessing, and now I'm raising money through a foundation to help other scientists survive. But yeah, it's been a blessing. But your question was what do I wish I could do? Yeah, I wish I could go faster. I wish I could try multiple approaches so we don't used to have one shot on goal. It's going slower than I would want. With a big injection of cash, we could do a lot of trials, a lot of different tissues. We could do a whole body rejuvenation as well.
Speaker 1: Do you have a website where people can donate?
Speaker 2: I do. It's lifespan dot com.
Speaker 1: So if you go to lifespan dot com, there's a link there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can do it. A foundation and we're raising money for this type of research.
Speaker 1: Is it tax deductible.
Speaker 2: Depends on how big the donation is. For ten dollars, you get the new magazine that we're putting out and you learn all about how to live longer building. I'm hoping to build the world's largest longevity community of millions of people who can learn how to really live longer and build healthcare from the ground up because top down from the government hasn't worked. Yeah. Actually, I have a gift for you.
Speaker 1: Where you are.
Speaker 2: I made something for you that's unique. This is for you, Joe, as a thanks it's all the support you've given me and the science over the years.
Speaker 1: First edition Lifespan Magazine. Ladies and gentlemen, look at that.
Speaker 2: It's written by scientists.
Speaker 1: So it's cover. It's like a velvet cover. What is this?
Speaker 2: I figured it might like that. Inside is the magazine?
Speaker 1: Is this material?
Speaker 2: It's beautiful lure of course, a great expense. No, the magazine doesn't come with the lore. That's just special for Joe.
Speaker 1: As a thank you, President, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Most most science out there is written by reporters who don't know what they're talking about, and so we want we wrote this for the public and you can believe whatever you read.
Speaker 1: In there, all right beautiful and so you have to trust it.
Speaker 2: So that's at lifespan dot com. You can subscribe get that every month just for ten bucks.
Speaker 1: I like to take at the bottom, life's too short. Let's fix that.
Speaker 2: That's our slogan.
Speaker 1: That's Lifespan slogan. Yeah, it's an awesome slogan.
Speaker 2: So it's it's a it's a community, it's the show my show is also called Lifespan on YouTube. But the magazine is a passion project. I want to put out something that people love. It's beautiful, right, It's like National Geographic by the way, just today, This is no joke. It seems crazy, but my labs research is on the cover of National Geographic.
Speaker 1: Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 2: That just came out today. They heard, by the way, at that geo. They said, you're going on Joe Rogan. I went yeah, they goes, all right, we'll put it out early so you can now read about my lab's research on that geo as well today.
Speaker 1: That's very cool. That's very cool. So you would just like to do more, have more funding, do more. That's the thing that you wish you could be working on now, just having more different, more different studies and tests running concurrently.
Speaker 2: We could go so fast with AI because it's spitting out new drug candidates all the time that we can't test. It takes years to get through. So with money, we could do a lot more trials and put these through different diseases much faster.
Speaker 1: If you had no regulations, like an Island of Doctor Moreau type deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, well, at the risk of getting kicked out of my universe. Theoretically we could very safely do more animal studies and with those best candidates put them into humans quicker. Right now, it takes years. It's taken us close to ten years to go from the first discovery in my lab in Nature magazine to now. But that's too slow. People dying one hundred and fifty thousand a day on this planet. It's terrible. So I would love to have the resources, you know, like Jeff Bezos and others. Yeah, my company, by the way, even though we lead the pack of all these guys, we're really small. We're a pretty small little outfit in Boston. We've raised a lot less money, but we're because I think we're focused. We have and we started earlier. We're doing pretty well.
Speaker 1: That's the big one. You started earlier, You have a lot of momentum on your side.
Speaker 2: But I think we we could have a big impact on aging in our lifetime with more money directed in general at the field, not just me, but spread it. And so the money that we raise from the magazine is going to support other labs as well and students who can find these medicines quicker.
Speaker 1: So if you in a perfect world and you had unlimited resources, you would just run a bunch of different clinical trials and studies.
Speaker 2: Concurrently, Yeah, AI is feeding us molecules, We put them into mice, we go to monkeys, we go to humans, and it'll just be fast. One of my friends, Alex Zakkarnkov, he has a similar company, but not on exactly what we do, not on reprogramming, but he's able to think he's on his thirty fifth drug, but he's driven by AI and robots. His whole lab is robots, at least he says they are, and then goes into humans and his company is worth billions. That approach applied to what we do would be incredible.
Speaker 1: Hmm, that's best case scenario. That would be incredible. Well, I'm hoping through this conversation that people are going to reach out and I'm hoping through this conversation that people realizing like, oh, well, so much work has been done and so many breakthroughs have been made. If they had more access to resources, more access to different whatever you need, you know, and that you could run all these different studies, we could.
Speaker 2: We were Our budget in my lab is only it's almost three three and a bit millions, not much, right, compared to what impact it could have on the planet, which is trillions of dollars saved just in the US alone. So it's a little bit of donation or getting a magazine, the impact would be life changing for all of us. Who doesn't age, who doesn't get.
Speaker 1: Diseases, right, who doesn't want to feel better?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also.
Speaker 1: Like so much you can get so much more done if you feel better.
Speaker 2: Well, we take it for granted until we feel sick, and it's like, oh right, I forgot what it's like to feel well exactly.
Speaker 1: I had a day a week and a half ago where I came back from Italy. I was a little jet lagged, I didn't sleep right, and I worked out really hard a bunch of days in a row, and I was working constantly, and then I had one day I was like, I kind of feel like shit, like I better not do anything today, and I, you know, after I was on work, I just watched TV and relaxed. I went and I was like, I can't wait to feel better again.
Speaker 2: Well, imagine what it's like being old, yes, and frail. That's every day or sick, and right now you can't do anything about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and while you're healthy, you take it for granted, and that's the real sin. Like you're like, ah, I'm fine, I'm great. I mean, this is what people do when they go out drinking, right, They take advantage of the fact that it's worth it for a good time. Just poison myself for a night.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not worth it because that also accelerates aging a big time, Right, is what I tell my kids who like alcohol. Like my kids, you know, you might feel better in a few days, but the memory of that is going to be in your body. Yeah, I think you can drink. It's you know, it's fine to get drunk once in a while, but not a lot, not constantly. I used to drink once a day, and I do not do that anymore because the date is incontrovertible that it affects the brain, even the size of the brain, if you drink constantly consisting.
Speaker 1: I took eight months off of no alcohol at all, and I felt a lot better.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: I started drinking again one night. I went to dinner with my wife and had a margarite, and I was like, I think I'm back.
Speaker 2: Ah, really, well, I saw I drink now I do not get drunk.
Speaker 1: I haven't gotten drunk. This was over a year ago. It was when I had a drink again, I think I think it was a year I'm not sure, but point is I have not been drunk since then. I will have a glass of wine with dinner, or I will have a like a shot of whiskey before I go on stage, like a little bit. But I do not get drunk anymore. It's just not worth it. The feeling words, is so terrible the morning, and especially for me because I work out so much. When I wake up, it's like that workout's gonna get done, okay, whether I feel like shit or not, that workout is gonna get done. And this is gonna be rough, and.
Speaker 2: Then you got the sweats, it's all right.
Speaker 1: Versus when I feel great, I love the workout. I'm excited, like I look forward to it, even when it's hard. When it's over, I'm like, whoo, all right, let's see, and I don't feel bad. I feel good, And it's like, why am I giving up that for a few hours of a You know, it's just not worth it. It's not worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you're funny even without alcohol. But I'm not so. I've lost a lot of my humor. But there's nothing better than feeling great. Right. Yes, and you can make it your hobby of working on your health and your longevity. Yeah, you'll enjoy it. Yes, it shouldn't be a chore.
Speaker 1: It'll also directly affect the other things that you love because you will have more energy your life. Energy, your vitality is so important for anything you're doing, whether it's a creative thing or an intellectual thing, like anything that you're doing, if you have more energy, you'll be able to apply more energy to that thing. It's that simple. You're building a bigger gas tank for yourself. You're building a larger engine, and that's what you're.
Speaker 2: Doing exactly mentally, physically, you can do so much. When you feel good, you jump out of bed. If you wake up and you're tired, woozy, you know your eyes are puffy, that's not how it should be when you wake up. If you're getting and sleep is important for longevity. Of course, if you're getting good deep sleep, then you should wake up and you feel great. Yes, yes, you don't even necessarily need a cup of coffee, but it's not bad if you have one.
Speaker 1: I like coffee. I'm not gonna stop drinking it now. I'll give a fuck what anybody says.
Speaker 2: Right, it's good.
Speaker 1: And it's also like conflicting information. Some people say it's good for you, there's benefits.
Speaker 2: It's good for you. Come on, that's what I say. Oh, it really is. Anyone that says it's not doesn't read the well.
Speaker 1: I would imagine. An over abundance of caffeine is not good. Too much is not good. But that's true for everything. Too much salt of killer, Yeah, exact pound of salt, You'll be dead in an hour.
Speaker 2: Right, You can get away with very little sleep, actually as long as a deep sleep, because what it's doing is clearing out the misfolded proteins in your brain and the toxins. We know this the glymphatic system. And if you get deep sleep for you know, an hour, you're actually going to wake up much cleaner, healthier. And what I've been able to do with some work is figure out how to get deep sleep every night. Efficiency on these rings that say but above ninety Sometimes I like.
Speaker 1: You say rings because you're wearing two aur rings or okay, why do you wear two different rings?
Speaker 2: Because when I've got to neither of them is correct. Now that the truth is some of them, some of them are really good for sleep. The others are good for a heart. And so I've this one's my heart, this is my sleep.
Speaker 1: What is the difference in the companies? Which one's which?
Speaker 2: Um, you don't mind me saying who they are? This is an aura, the one right, and then the thinner one is called ultra human ultra human?
Speaker 1: And which one is good for what?
Speaker 2: Well? I find aura really good for sleep, that's their specialty. And then the heart for ultra human my cardiac age.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's just like giving you data all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're getting even better because they I don't get paid by these companies, but I do like that they pop up with AI information. Now have you noticed that data? Da Or I noticed that you ate a meal last night that spiked your glucose, you know? And this one I have a monitor on right now, so I can see what's going on anyway. But yeah, they're becoming.
Speaker 1: Like a fucking monitored bro. I am two rings and a patch.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a hobby. It's a hobby, but you learn a lot. And I put one of these on my son, and he stopped eating bad food for a long while.
Speaker 1: Really, because he was just racking the impact of.
Speaker 2: The it's good for kids.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say slap it on a kid without pediatrician recommendation, but it was amazing what happened when he could see the crap that was going in his mouth was doing to his blood sugar. Really, it was amazing. I think it's a great learning tool if nothing else.
Speaker 1: Right, just to have actual data. I know a lot of people it's changed their opinion on alcohol, particularly the or ring when they look at their sleep, because even just a couple of drinks before you go to bed, like a couple of drinks at dinner, and then you realize, like, oh god, my sleep was all fucked up because of those drinks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lay off the medafinil too for me anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, some medafinol fucks with your sleep as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I have to work really hard to sleep. Well. There's quiet time, there's relaxation, the lights are dimmed. I think about a happy place rather than work. I had to do that because for fifty years I was burning the candle at all ends. I was really burnt out and so I've fixed that now I don't worry.
Speaker 1: So are you one of those guys that like dims the lights in your house a couple hours before you go to bed and prepare it. Stay off your phone? Yeah, all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't stay off my phone as much as I want to.
Speaker 1: But to wear red light glasses or anything like blockers.
Speaker 2: I used to. I haven't found a big difference for myself. But interesting fact that isn't well known if you block blue light during the day or just stay indoors. There's a guy in Japan who says that what happens is you get short sightedness, and because the mice that lack the ability to sense violet light get myopia short sighted and he's got a device that indoors you can shinness. But our modern world, the LEDs and being indoors means we barely get violet light. And that would be that would be so interesting if that's what's causing last half I have to wear glasses. Wow. And he claims that people that live out in the countryside that see blue light all the time because they go out, don't have as much need for glasses.
Speaker 1: That actually makes sense. Well, particularly artificial light, and then also light that's from a close source. Like one of the things that if I do, if I'm tired and I lay in bed and I try to read something online on my phone, it hurts my eyes. The room's dark, and it's like it irritates my eyes, where it never irritates my eyes normally, but it's like at the end of the day, you know, I guess I'm more fatigued.
Speaker 2: And so then and you're trying to focus on Yeah.
Speaker 1: So like, now, think about that when people are doing it all day long. Maybe you're doing it at work where you have to start at a computer monitor from three feet away or closer, and then you're looking at your phone all the time, or you're working from a tablet or you're watching television. It's like you're constantly staring at these light sources that are artificial.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also keep in mind that the muscles have to focus. It's not naturally you don't naturally look this far. Naturally you relax, you see out there right to look here, your muscles here have to be straining for hours and they get very tired, and I guess eventually they age to a point where you cannot keep it up, and sometimes I do this to see better though.
Speaker 1: Well, it all makes sense if you think about it, particularly like if your eyes are accustomed to only focusing on things that are close. I mean, that was what they would say about reading when people would have glasses, Oh, you fucked up your vision reading, which I used to think was nonsense. But I'm like, well, kind of makes sense. If you spend all day long focus even though it's on a screen, You're spending all day long focusing on a book that's only a foot from your face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does make sense, and the lens gets really inflexible, right, And I'm seeing this with my father. He's otherwise in perfect health at eighty seven, which is amazing, but it's his eyes that are failing him.
Speaker 1: Maybe you should get him a red light bed.
Speaker 2: That's a great idea. Yeah, I'm gonna do that. He's arriving tonight actually from Sydney.
Speaker 1: He's uh, he's gonna get him a red light bed, man, because I'm telling you, there's not a thing that I've done that's impacted me in a more obvious way than that in terms of like something that's.
Speaker 2: Hugely Yeah, I'm going to do it, And I mean he's into science. He's been taking and aman resveratrol mid foreman exercising. He goes to the gym two or three times a week six months. He's a role model at eighty seven, with no diseases, no aches or pains. He's struggling the world. He was in Japan two weeks ago. Wow, coming to the Boston.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. I love hearing about people that are older that just keep on top of it and stay active and stay alive and enjoy life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. He's a great role model. And what it shows is he was an average guy till he was in his sixties, and he figured he was going to die in his seventies, probably because everyone in my family dies young because we've got pretty bad jeans. But he's just taken life by the horns and just is running with it and has not physically aged except for his eyes in the last twenty years. And that's not an exaggeration. Anyone who's seen him knows. He walks, he moves, he travels, he does everything he was when he was forty.
Speaker 1: That's where things like resistance exercises are so important because it maintains bone density, maintains muscle mass, maintains your ability to just get around and do things.
Speaker 2: That's the other reason to do that. I mean, you're going to be really strong when you're older, and you won't fall, and if you do fall, you'll bounce, you won't break a bone. And he's like that. He's been working out at the gym, mostly strength training, but balance as well. It's very important to maintain balance. He's better at the gym than me at eighty seven.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 2: That just shows how Yeah, I got to go to the gym. How about next time? If you have me on, you're gonna be buff. Do you get your trainer. You're in Massachusetts. There's a ton of trainers out there. Great, it's a deal.
Speaker 1: We'll find you someone. We'll find you someone. Three days a week. That's all you need. The other days you could do stuff elective, do stuff that you want, you know, but three days a week, get a personal trainer and work out with them. Right, you're on all right?
Speaker 2: You know when it's going or you help me. I can hear though that. There's probably a few million people right now screaming David. Just go to the lab. Forget about the gym you.
Speaker 1: Need to help your stop work. It'll help everything. It'll help the amount of research you're able to do. You'll have more energy, you'll be more excited about things. I'm sure you've seen those MRI cross sections of people's tissue where they take like a seven year old man who's sedentary versus seven year old man who's a marathon runner. It's fucking extraordinary.
Speaker 2: I've seen my own. There's there's too much fat in the muscle. Got to get rid of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's really extraordinary. When you see those images like those, really bring it home.
Speaker 2: And the bone changes, bone turns to fat too, parts of the bones. So, yes, you got to have the strength training for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One hundred percent strength training is that's mandatory. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then do you do a lot of aerobic exercises. Yes, yeah, I saw the training bike.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well you saw my hypoxia machines and you just got stalled today. Yeah. The hypoxia thing. What it does is it replicates fourteen thousand feet above sea level and you train in it. And it also has a heat element so you could ramp the heat up to one hundred and fifteen degrees. So one hundred and fifteen degrees and fourteen thousand feet about.
Speaker 2: Kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're going to hell, that's what it is. Straight to feel like it, but it shouldn't work right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, POxy is great for muscle.
Speaker 1: Yes, and for adaptation, that's the big thing. And my friend Roman who installed it, who's owns one of the guys from the company, it's a very they're very specific with this protocol in terms of monitoring your heart rate, when to do it, when to push, how much time to spend, and how you do it. And it's very scientific in terms of the application on athletes and that's a My friend Adam Greentree turned me onto it, fellow Australian, and he's a big hunter and does a lot of mountain hunting and he said there's nothing he's ever done that's had more of an impact on his cardio. So it's been phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Sounds wonderful. Actually there's a lot of science behind that. You probably know it. The best results are when people are either having too much oxygen or not enough. And you might say, well that's weird, why does it matter, Well, you got to get out of the comfort zone. Hormesis. We keep talking about. And there's a big study in Israel where they put people in these hyperbaric chambers.
Speaker 1: I've done that protocol. Yeah yeah, sixty sessions of ninety minutes over ninety days.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, I have one a loss, you do, Yeah, because the data's incontrovertible, better wound healing, better memory.
Speaker 1: Increase in telemar length.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that one. That's the Israel's study.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: What I thought was interesting was when I went over there myself and sat in that thing. They made a joke over there in Israel. By the way, they said, this gas chamber here that were you going into, made by Germans. I thought, that's not a funny joke. Don't say that again. Anyway, I probably shouldn't have shared that. I did go into the chamber, and what I found out and was that they believe what I believe, which is it's not so much the high pressure that's good for you. It's the coming down that mimics hypoxia, which your room will mimic. So the lack of oxygen, or the perceived lack of oxygen from a high state is the benefit.
Speaker 1: Interesting and that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: You're going to grow new blood vessels, just like viagra is going to open things up. We actually had a paper two thousand and twelve that found that one of the supplements that I take, which everyone knows about, Niman, could allow animals to grow new blood vessels by getting rid of a protein that accumulates with aging. The bottom line is we could mimic this lack of blood vessels with this pill, but by exercising. It's the same. What I really believe is barely talked about in the medical establishment is that a major reason we get sick when we get older is lack of blood flow. It's really talked about, right, Vascular dementia second largest cause of dementia in the world. Blood flow, and it's the easiest to reverse. You just do exercise, or take one of these PD five inhibitors viagra, or you take my stuff which is an a man which we think also works.
Speaker 1: Or all the above, which is probably the best approach.
Speaker 2: I'm two out of three, hopefully soon three out of three. But yeah, you know, to protect your brain, which is the most important because you don't want to be old and demented. That's worse than anything. Keep the blood flowing in your body. Remember that blood flowing is important.
Speaker 1: Yes, couldn't agree more. David, You're a treasure. I really appreciate you. Thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: You've been so kind, and thank you for getting the word out here about the great science that's going on.
Speaker 1: Oh my pleasure, dude. I'm so happy there's someone like you out there doing this. I mean it's it's such an enormous benefit to people that are listening to the world and you're doing you're literally doing God's work, and.
Speaker 2: We'll try to do more.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. Lifespan dot com is the website. Please folks, if you're you're so inclined, go donate. It'll really help, will change the world. David. I love you to Thank you by everybody.