Speaker 1: Well, whiskey, come and take my pain, the moneys, my ry, oh whiskey.
Speaker 2: Don't why think alone when you can drink it all in with Ricochet's Three Whiskey Happy Hour. Join your bartenders, Steve Hayward, John You, and the international Woman of Mystery, Lucretia.
Speaker 1: Where this lap it up? It'll live it ain't you easy on the show taps. You gotta give me and let that whiskey blow.
Speaker 2: All right. For all of you who didn't get the memo, the Three Whiskey Happy Hour is in fact on hiatus for the month of July. I did announce it at the end of the last July fourth show and put it in my notes, the show notes and also on substack, but people aren't reading or listening to the end. In any case, just to keep everybody happy, I am today offering an emergency special edition of The Three Whiskey Happy Hour with just me and my special guest. But it is a special guest that many of you have been requesting that we have on the show for a long time, and it's John Eastman. But I do want to set up our conversation as follows. If you go only by the mainstream media, coverage of the Supreme Court. You might think that the six' to three decision Against President trump's executive order that curtailed birthright citizenship under apparently the emanations and numbers of The Fourteenth. Amendment you might think that was a serious setback For President. Trump but careful readers recognize that on the core constitutional question of whether birthright citizenship is actually anchored in The Fourteenth, amendment the vote was actually five to four Because Justice kavanaugh agreed with the other three dissenters that The Fourteenth amendment does not establish birthright, citizenship but he voted to strike Down trump's executive order because he thought it failed on statutory. Grounds, statutes of, course can be, changed and five to Four Supreme court decisi indicate that the matter is not decisively. Settled keep in mind that the rovers Has way decision was a seven to decision in nineteen seventy, three but the shoddiness of the reasoning In roe became so apparent over time that it was indeed. Overturned, likewise this may occur on birthrights. Citizenship it is most definitely not Over AS i, say consider that even as recently as a decade, ago no one thought a constitutional challenge to birthright citizenship could make it to The Supreme, court let alone get four. Votes many commentators Thought trump might lose this case eight to, one or perhaps even. Unanimously and if there's one person above all who deserves credit for bringing this moment, about it Is John. EASTMAN i think you may have heard of. Him he's been in the news bit the last few. Years and full, disclosure as the saying, Goes eastman AND i were classmates and for time housemates in graduate school back in the nineteen. Eighties about thirty years, Ago eastman began writing a series of law review and other academic articles attacking the supposedly secure foundations of birthright. Citizenship his argument seemed exotic at the time and was summarily, dismissed, often of, course with some of the usual slurs and slanders that have come from the left when they don't want to argue the substance with. You and yet in recent, years more and more eminent constitutional scholars began to come around and endorse his critique of the accepted, view, which AS i, say now commands four votes on The Supreme. Court so in our conversation here we review the course of this unfolding rethinking that has brought us to this, moment and we also take up what might be next As eastman has his eye on a sweeping revision of another important and highly consequential constitutional provision that nearly everyone ignores or thinks is. Settled if he can repeat the story arc of the birthright citizenship, issue it might lead to one of the most significant reforms Of american government in. Decades but to find out what the sequel, is, well you'll just have to, listen which you can start doing right. Now all, Right, eastman let's start. Here it's now almost thirty years ago that you And Ed earler woke up one, day maybe not, literally but you guys, said, hey wait a, minute why do we assume that the Fourteenth amendment means unlimited birthright. Citizenship there's this clause in the middle of the Fourteenth amendment subject to the jurisdiction thereof which can't be. Meaningless and there's other. Things there's you, know the longer common law tradition and a lot of. History and everyone, THOUGHT i, MEAN i understood the logic of, it BUT i THINK i was like a lot of other people, saying, YEAH i see the logic of. It but is anyone going to buy? This, well fast forward now to recent, weeks and four justices of The Supreme court, said, actually, yes it does make. Sense so oh and, then by the, way you were very much all alone you want to add on this thirty years, ago and more recently you've seen you, know friends of ours Like Richard epstein and some younger scholars come along, saying, hey wait a, minute these guys are. Right so it's an example of a persistent and relentlessness and. Patience but that's start at the. Beginning walk me through how you first spotted and developed the argument that, hey wait a, minute this isn't a slam don for birthright. Citizenship, well you.
Speaker 3: Know it's a combination of our studies At claremont Under Harry, joffa and the importance of the declaration and the Old english law of, youth solely the law of the soil said, that you, know if you were born on the king, soil you were forever and perpetually The king's subject and you could never renounce. That and if you look at the closing paragraph of The declaration Of, independence it says we declare that These united colonies are and of right ought to be free and independent, states and we hereby absolve all allegiance to The British. Crown that's one of the most eloquent repudiations of The english common law doctrine ever. Written and and and you, know and the foundation of our government is not subject hip to a divine right of. Kings it is consent of the governed among equal human. Beings and the idea of perpetual allegiance was incompatible with the notion of. Consent and so we started taking our studies on the declaration and applying it to the Fourteenth. Amendment and then we dug in to the actual debates on the Fourteenth, amendment and and those debates inexorably lead to the conclusion that people who are temporarily visiting are not subject to the jurisdiction in the way they. Intended now there's a confusion because subject to the jurisdiction oftentimes modernly just means are you subject to our laws if you're.
Speaker 4: If you're working in you, know working On.
Speaker 3: Wall street and putting out stock, offers you're subject to the jurisdiction of The securities In Exchange. Commission and so we've just equated subject to the, jurisdiction was subject to the. Laws But Senator, howard who authored that, language was asked point, blank what about The, indians because they are most certainly subject to our, jurisdiction both civil and, military and he, said that's not what we. Mean they're not subject to our complete jurisdiction because they owe their primary allegiance to their. Tribes translate that discussion into the modern discussion about illegal aliens and temporary, visitors and you get the same answer That Senator howard offered with respect To, indians.
Speaker 2: Right, right and we should we should play that a little bit. FURTHER i think the other part of the DECLARATION i think bears on this in a general way is how's it one people need to dissolve their bands with another people people get to define their political, community, Right it's part of social contract.
Speaker 3: Theory by the, way this is Where Justice Brown jackson gets it so. Wrong she she she actually has a concurring.
Speaker 4: Opinion she.
Speaker 3: Says the incredible thing about the, declaration she, says it sets out a universal principle of human. Rights necessarily flowing from that is universal, citizenship which you, know that's the second. Paragraph she ignores completely the first paragraph when in the course of human, events one people decide they need to separate from, another.
Speaker 2: Right, Right, Yeah, well The Justice jackson seems to be a bottomless abyss of. Ignorance i'll just put it that. WAY i, shouldn't but it fits what was in the oral. Argument she, said, well you, know If i'm in. It all the logic of it, was If i'm In japan and have to obey their, Laws I'm. JAPANESE i, mean that was all to.
Speaker 3: Her to her, defense almost every brief on that side of the case made the same same, argument that that being simply subject to the laws means you are subject to the, jurisdiction and so she but it was it was ridiculous the way it came out of her, mouth because the position is. Ridiculous AND i like to draw the example suppose somebody From britain is visiting here tourist. Visa when they're, here they have to follow our. Laws they drive on the right side of the, road not the left side of the. Road, Right but we don't draft them into our. Army we don't prosecute them for treason if they take up arms against.
Speaker 4: This because they've owed no allegiance to us.
Speaker 2: Right now they do. Have this gets back to your example you gave. Of if you're doing business, here you have to obey our laws of The Securities Exchange. Act but it's also let's do it this. Way if you are mugged or you're, robbed you get the protections of our criminal law and you get the due. Process or if you're arrested for committing a, crime you get the protections of due process for. Anybody but you don't get as full civil. Rights you're not entitled to.
Speaker 4: Vote, yep this is the.
Speaker 3: Different this is the difference spelled out in the fourteen's. Amendments different. Clauses the privileges and immunities apply to. Citizens the equal protection of the laws and the guarantee of due process apply to all. Persons and by the, way textually equal protection applies to everybody within the, jurisdiction which is different phrasing than the citizenship. Clause it says subject to the. Jurisdiction And Chief Justice roberts in his, opinion just seems to ignore. That you, know normally we take different texts meaning different.
Speaker 4: Things, well as we.
Speaker 2: Have, seen The Chief justice can be very skillful at overlooking things when it's convenient for. Him all, right let's come at it in a general level this. WAY i think even ten years, ago the idea that The court would even take up this issue seemed, remote, RIGHT i, mean you would have thought that if somebody Of congress had passed a bill or somebody had issued executive order or, something they would have simply denied cert and upheld a lower court opinion that said, no you can't do. That but they did hear this. Case and then the next one, was AS i already alluded, to this is four. VOTES i mean the headline that's seventy. Three but Really kavanaugh said, no, actually this is a statutory. Problem maybe that's, true Or i'll leave that, aside but, constitutionally the argument of The trump administration is. Sounds so there's four votes for your. Position AND i don't think anyone, thought a the case will be heard in b that you would get four.
Speaker 3: Votes, WELL i wasn't even sure of getting four votes or five. VOTES i, mean there was a distinct possibility we could have lost nine to. Zero you, know one of two of my primary debate opponents on this issue over the last twenty, years it been Other thomas, Clerks John yu And Jim, hoe And Jim hoe's now a very prominent federal judge down on The Fifth circuit In. Texas But, no the ARGUMENT i thought was, compelling And Justice thomas ninety one page descending OPINION i think just dismantles the argument by The Chief justice for the.
Speaker 4: Majority.
Speaker 3: No but leading up to, that the first case out of the. Box Remember trump signed this executive order on day one of the second. TERM i was fortunate to be watching not from The oval, office But i'd made it back to my home and was able to watch on television him sign a bill THAT i had a hand in craft him and an executive order THAT i had a hand in. Crafting but the first suit was brought immediately In, Seattle, washington and the judge up there basically threatened The department Of justice lawyers with sanctions and a referral to bar disciplinary things for making the frivolous arguments defending the president's executive. Order that's how bad the lower courts thought this issue was that it would squarely lose nine zero if The court even bothered to take it. Up and the fact that they took it, up and then you're right five to four on the key constitutional. Issue four justices agreed with us that The constitution means, this and the argument in the majority opinion the other direction is just historically. FLAWED i, Mean Chief Justice roberts begins his analysis In, Westminster england in sixteen oh, eight AND i write an article, saying you, know maybe he'd been better served beginning In philadelphia in seventeen seventy, six because he actually says this demonstrably false claim that The english feudal rule of youth solely the law of the, soil crossed The, atlantic unchanged in The american system of, government and you, know and doesn't bother to point out the exact repudiation of it in The declaration Of.
Speaker 2: Independence, yeah, Okay, now so you Mentioned thomas's ninety one page. Descent near AS i can, tell it's his second longest descent. Ever there may have been one other That i've missed or others have. Missed i've been asking, around and apparently his longest one Was JOHN u tells me was his term limits descent back in the late nineteen. Nineties And owner members that now and it seems like a dead. Issue so in certain. Ways this IS i think his most significant. Descent, now you read way more of these opinions THAN i, do BUT i read through, it and in addition to the compelling logic of, it what struck me was how readable it. Is in other, words you don't have to be finally schooled and understanding the way These league arguments often set out And Supreme court opinions said often hard for lapor to. Follows tell me If i'm overreading, this but it seems to me that that's an opinion that not only is solid on the, substance but is comprehensible to the lace.
Speaker 3: Citizen, well AND i think by, design because in his, view this issue is only. Beginning The Supreme court's pronouncement did not end. It AND i remind people another ARTICLE i, wrote you, know, okay The Supreme court's. Ruled what happens? Now and the answer from most people, is, Well Supreme court, ruled that's the end of the. Matter and certainly as a technical, matter just Because Justice kavanaugh, said, Well congress can fix us with a statute that only got one. Vote five votes, said The constitution mandates automatic citizenship for everybody here except the children of, diplomats all, Right and So congress can't by statute change. That But congress can push back by statute to force The court to. Reconsider and we had an example in our history about, that the Dred, scott the egregious wrong Dread scott.
Speaker 4: Decision it said two.
Speaker 3: Things it said blacks can never be, citizens and it Said congress has no authority to prohibit the slavery in the. Territories, well in eighteen sixty, Two congress passed the law saying prohibiting slavery in the, territories And Abraham lincoln signed that law direct contrary to The Supreme court's pronouncement in Dred. Scott and Remember lincoln says in his first inaugural, address the Dread scott decision is final for the parties in the. Case but if we're to treat it as final on a hotly contested issue on which there remains, disagreement we will have, ceased to that extent to be our own. Rulers and that's WHAT i Think Justice thomas's ninety one page dissent is. Inviting, now are we going to get anybody In congress to take up that? Mantle probably. NOT i mean they're demonstrating they're so spineless they can't even pass A Save act that eighty five percent Of american. Support but what it's been most amazing to me in the reaction to the decision is how uniformly the people on the right side of the aisle think that our views were so correct that it's ridiculous that the majority did what it, did, when just as you point, out five years, ago the exact opposite was. TRUE i, mean we have really moved the, discussion And Justice thomas's descent just kind of hammers, it And Justice alito in his descent and he, said this may be one of the most profound and profoundly wrong decisions in our.
Speaker 2: History, yeah, WELL i, mean you, know several people made the, observation this is The Roe versus way to the current, moment, right that case was seven. Too but then over time people would point out that the reasoning of the case was so bad that even the Late Justice skinberg, said the reasoning of this case is really. Bad, right so obviously couldn't hold up for very, long and something similar may happen. Here the broader point you just, make you, Know lincoln talking about wait a, minute we shouldn't be bound by what The Supreme court, says, especially and it's divided, closely and it's amazing how few people grasp that. TODAY i think maybe more do, now BUT i mean off topics. Slightly BUT i thought one of the low moments For President GEORGE. W bush is when he signed the McCain Fine Gold Campaign Finance act and said at the SIGNING i think this act is, unconstitutional but that's really an issue for The Supreme. Court AND i, thought did The bush ever read his oath of office to, preserve, protect and defend The constitution and he has this thing called a? Veto AND i thought that, was you, know that's probably an impeachable offense in the abstract. Right but that's kind of the where we got. TO i think we're drawing away from, that and this is up and well.
Speaker 3: Mark and it didn't begin with his signing. Statement it began with McCain and Fine gold both on the floor of The senate saying they are parts of this that are, unconstitutional but that's for The Supreme court. Decide in other, words we've moved from judicial, review where each branch of government has an independent obligation to uphold The constitution to judicial supremacy when the judge there's a wonderful quotation From Justice Oliver Wendell holmes Or hughes Probably holmes, Said, yeah The constitution is the supreme law of the, land but it is whatever we say it.
Speaker 1: Is.
Speaker 2: Right, WELL i thought that Was cooper Versus, aeron and maybe it was. Both. Right, okay that's stuck a little. Bit BECAUSE i was fuzzy on where this came. OUT i didn't have time to chase it down the birth tourism aspect of this whole. Thing, NOW i know the numbers are comparatively, small but there's still real. Numbers and regardless of how you can test subject to the jurisdiction, thereof it seems to me you cannot make any plausible argument that someone who flies in From china just have a baby and get An american birth certificate and leaves that person in no sense can be said to be subject to the jurisdiction of The United.
Speaker 3: States, well if you falsely equate subject to the jurisdiction the Way Senator howard who authored that language meant, it and subject to the, Laws, well while they've landed IN la and or at THE la hospital on the drive down. There they got to follow our traffic. Laws they're subject to our. Laws you if you say subject to the laws and subject of the jurisdiction mean the same, thing then it makes some. Sense it's it's. INSANE i, mean The british themselves have got rid of the youth solely. Doctrine a few years. Ago they recognized how particularly modern times. Look you, know in the eighteenth century or the early nineteenth, century if you came to THE us, shores unless you Were Ben, franklin that was. It you didn't go back and forth, right and and so by coming here and us allowing you to land meant that we had that bilateral consent to make you part of our political. Community that's no longer. True and during the during the oral, Argument John, sower The Solsener, general made that point and said times have. Change And Chief Justice, roberts you, know. Drippingly, oh but our constitution hasn't. Changed the underlying principle hasn't, changed but how it plays out certainly. Has and it's not numbers may be, small but they're. DRAMATIC i mean there Are i've seen in some reports there are hundreds of thousands Of chinese men of military age who are in this, country who had become citizens by virtue of this erroneous. Interpretation that's an army on our shores with full citizen rights to go wherever they, want including to military, installutions, installations or what have. You this is insane that our leading political enemy on the world stage has an army on our shores and we haven't done a dang thing about.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so by the, way you brought Up robert saying in the oral, argument it's still the same. Constitution there WAS i thought. It Maybe i'm overreading this. TOO i thought there was a curious footnote In kavanaugh's. Concurrence first of, All kavanaugh surprised. ME i thought he'd easily flipped With roberts on the constitutional. Question but there's a footnote where he quotes at, length First Robert. BORK i thought that's, interesting and Then Justice scalia and they're both, SAYING i forget how it, went but he had quotes from them that bared on the question of it maybe the same, constitution but you know, what like The Fourth, amendment we've adapted The Fourth amendment for the age of modern, telecommunications, right and maybe we draw the line in the wrong place, Sometimes but the fact that we can draw new lines for new circumstances ought to be something that's not beyond our. Grasp AND i, Thought, ah was that meant as a subtle rebuke Of. ROBERTS i don't, know BUT i thought that was an interesting part Of kavanaugh's.
Speaker 4: OPINION i would say not so.
Speaker 3: Subtle, yeah he was clearly Rebuking robert's ridiculous statement or in the oral argument with that footnote where he goes. Wrong and by the, way this is the same FIGHT i had With Bill barr in the First trump. Administration trump Asked barr to sit down with, me And barr, does and he, says, well the statute that they adopted in nineteen thirty eight and then fifty, two they had a different understanding than the original. Meaning so even if you're right about the original meaning of The, constitution the statute conferred. Citizenship AND i, said, well they used the same exact, language and so what they meant to do is confer citizenship as much as and only as much as The constitution. Requires that they were wrong about what it, required didn't mean they intended to go any. Further kavanaugh falls into that. Error it's exactly the same. Language and he says it means something different in The act than it means in The, constitution which is a very bizarre way of interpreting statutory.
Speaker 2: Text, yeah, okay what do you think the next steps? Are where should we go from?
Speaker 3: Here, well if we had members with spine In, CONGRESS i would encourage them to do what the you.
Speaker 2: Could just stop right.
Speaker 3: THERE i would encourage them to do to add some bills to the appropriation bills explaining that why they think that court got it wrong and readopting by statute the more limited original understanding of Fourteenth. Amendment, now The court will then be confronted with an immediate legal challenge to that, statute and The court can react in a couple of. Ways and we've seen. This we've seen this recently in a very important religious liberty case Called Employment division Verse. Smith congress pushed back against that with a, statute and it went up to The court and the majority of the court, said we've, spoken end of.
Speaker 4: Story very.
Speaker 3: Arrogant justice O'Connor right separately, say a coequal branch has suggested that we got this. Wrong we ought to take that seriously and reconsider upon further, reflection we might come to the same conclusion, anyway but we ought not to just dismiss it with the back of our. Hand that's the way it ought to go with coequal. Branches and the question is whether This court is so arrogant that when it makes a, decision everybody's supposed to just bend the knee and end the. Discussion, remember this is What Justice tawny did with Dred. Scott, Everybody i've settled. It we don't have to fight over this. Anymore, well that didn't work out so well, then and didn't work out so well With roe Versus, waight or Plus.
Speaker 4: He's Versus ferguson or any of the other egregiously wrong. Decisions, yeah so.
Speaker 3: A pushback, now that required spine Of, congress and you had it in eighteen six sixty, two largely encouraged by a president that had a lot of Spine. Lincoln we have a president with a lot of, spine and maybe he'll force the issue with This. Congress but there are two other things that we should talk, about and that Is congress could propose a constitutional amendment now if they don't have enough spine to pass a statute by simple majority. Vote they are never going to propose a constitutional amendment by two thirds vote in each house in The, senate not going to. Happen so what other option is? There and that is the other alternative That James madison gave us An article five to have thirty four state legislatures call for a limited convention of The states addressing just this. Issue thirty four, STATES i think we would get and then they would propose an amendment saying it means What trump's executive order says it mean it doesn't include temporary visitors or people who are here, illegally both, cases again without our consent right and propose an. Amendment and quite, FRANKLY i think there are thirty eight states that would ratify such an.
Speaker 4: Amendment, Yeah i've.
Speaker 2: Always thought The article five convention. Idea it's been around for years on bounced budget and. Stuff if it ever came to, be it would terrify the political class In washington and around the country and so. Forth it'd be just fun to watch The New York times lose their.
Speaker 3: Mind, well and then you, Know i've had. FIGHTS i had fights with The Great Phyllis schlaffley over this. Issue we had a big debate about this at one of The Sea pack conferences years and years, ago long before she passed, away and she, said if we get An article five, convention it could be a runaway. Convention, Yes AND i, said, well phyll.
Speaker 4: Us two.
Speaker 3: Things, one nothing that comes out of The convention becomes constitutional law unless it's ratified by thirty eight. States so you're concerned that they take away The Second.
Speaker 4: Amendment not. Happening there's not thirty eight states that would agree to. THAT i mean quite the.
Speaker 3: Opposite we get thirty eight states to strengthen and a mandate everybody to carry.
Speaker 4: Arms and the.
Speaker 3: Second POINT i made to her, is phyllis the way the courts have been. Operating we've had a runaway convey every time The court meets since the nineteen. Thirties and this would be designed to put a stop to run away.
Speaker 2: Convention so that's WHAT i used to think it. WAS i used to be persuaded about. Argument AND i finally wrote an article ten years ago saying this is a bad idea whose time has. COME i don't think it's.
Speaker 4: Bad, well you, know and look the.
Speaker 3: Notion let's talk about, spending you, know we're forty trillion in debt, now and that most of that is unconstitutional. Spending the constitution Spending clause actually has limits on.
Speaker 2: It, well that's topic number, Two and why don't we just turn to. THAT i, mean we you, know the the birthrights of this and ship. Thing it's just getting started stipulate. That but there's Right article, One section eight sets out specific. Things but then there's this we regarded as a throwaway phrase about the you can spend for the general. Welfare now that HAD i think a pretty specific and intelligible meaning at the, time and it's become wholly unintelligible and anything. Goes so you've written about, this signed a couple of your articles to, students and only one or two other people have been, saying, hey wait a, minute we completely departed decades and decades. Ago, Right so my thought, is, okay you have this long arc long march on birthright. Citizenship is something similar possible by putting back some meaning in the general welfare?
Speaker 3: Class it, Is And i've been in discussions with the bean counters in The trump administration to try and get them before the. Issue so let's lay down the. Cards but by the, way our founders Were Milton. Friedman economists Before Milton, friedman, right they understood that there's a problem with rent, seeking they didn't use that. Phrase and the way they addressed it in The constitution is on both sides of the, coin taxes had to be apportioned according to, population or duties on imports equal among all the ports of the. Country so on the revenue receiving, end they had a built in prohibition or constrained against rent, seeking the ability of one class to tax another. Class it's built. In and they also had it on the spending side of the. Coin the spending could only be for the common defense and the general. Welfare and as you point, out that had. Meaning Now chief Former Chief Justice ranks bollocks this in the mid nineteen eighties gets it.
Speaker 4: Wrong he, said we don't.
Speaker 3: Know what welfare, means and so we have to defer To congress on whether it's good for us or. Not but that may be true on the word, welfare but it's not true on the word. General the distinction between, general, national and local is easy to.
Speaker 2: Enforce, well let's linger on. That from. THAT i, mean so you, know one of the things that Says congress can spend money on is postal roads but not roads, Generally and SO i, mean as you, know but a lot of listeners probably. Don't one of the big debates in the early nineteenth century was what the national system Of Henry clay and all the rest of. That it, was can we build canals and? Roads and because it's limited to you, know just The Erie canals For New, york that's not in the general. Welfare it's In New york's welfare If New york wants. It that's how that debate fell. Out, Right New, york you want a, canal you build it. Yourself and they did and it was a. Success But washington then had the Discipline washington D. C they had to just, say, no that is not general. Welfare but then by degrees they, thought, well, okay what about a road through three or four. States it's not all the, states but it knits together a bunch of, states and that starts to look like something that's in the national. Interest so maybe that's the beginning of the slippery. SLOPE i don't, know you, know people could disagree about, that but the point is it doesn't, mean you, know The Harry Reid library AT unlv In Las. VEGAS i, mean that's the stuff that gets pugged into all all the spending bills, now, right it's particular special interest local things that all the taxpayers In america have no business funding and shouldn't be. Funding and that's part of why we're.
Speaker 3: So far hawk well and not my favorite, President but he was right about. This James buchanan actually does a veto message on one of these and he, says if if we sign off on, this and it'll become the greatest accomplishment of our national elected officials to bring money home to their own constituents at the expense of everybody. Else and the EXAMPLE i like to GIVE i was living In Long, Beach, california and they proposed a bond measure to widen one of our roads to line it with you, know palm trees leading into the taj mahal of the city, hall, Right and the voter, said this is. Nuts we're not spending the money to put your you, know boulevard up to your city. Hall and the next thing we, know our members Of congress are getting an earmark to widen the dang road that we didn't think was worth the money for. Ourselves even though we were going to get the. Benefit but by, god if people In Rhode island are going to pick up the, tab it sounds all of a sudden good. No and and again the founders had figured this out there there were you, know when they when they funded a lighthouse system along the entire, coast that was that was in the general. Welfare when when the city Of charleston burn to the ground and they wanted A fema, bailout BEFORE, fema they, said, no that's that's not. Us when they wanted to improve the navigation of navigable, waterways that was. Covered when they wanted to extend the navigation of The Savannah river up further Into, georgia that was For georgia to pay. For and we understood this, RIGHT i mean at the. Margin sometimes those lines can be hard to. Draw but here's How i've tried to get The trump administration to force the issue because the courts have completely, abdicated.
Speaker 4: And there's a BILL.
Speaker 3: Uh there's a provision of the inaptly NAMED Uh Inflation Reduction act they're in The biden administration that that has a massive grant program and one of the conditions for receiving grants is that it be exclusively for local. Projects so built right into the law is a blatant violation of The constitution's. Requirement and and you, know ever since The nixon, Administry congress has got this recision bill where if the president wants to not spend, money he asked to beg the Very congress that spent the money for permission not to spend.
Speaker 4: It it's.
Speaker 3: Ridiculous and So i've advised this is a prohibition speddle out in The, constitution more clear than anything we've seen in fifty. Years so you don't Ask congress for permission not to spend for those local grant. Programs you just SAY i can't do it Because i'm obligated to take care that the, law including The, constitution be faithfully. Executed and this violates The. Constitution get the lawsuit brought and then defend, it, right that would.
Speaker 2: Be a fun. Day, yeah it just occurred to. Me, now the last president that understood, this not, surprisingly Was Calvin. Coolidge you, know there was The Great Floods Mississippi floods of nineteen twenty. SEVEN i think it turns Out coolidge was it was paying attention and what he was investigating was what's the state capacity to deal with this In, Alabama mississippi and all those, Places and turned out to be fairly. Robust But congress passed a relief bill And coolidge vetoed, it and he, said it's not. Necessary they've got to handle local. Level oh and by the, WAY i think this bill is. Unconstitutional oh my. GOD i mean you imagine someone saying that. Today, yeah, yeah so that's a big. One all, right let's just do some fun here a little. Bit so you AND i started graduate school the same. YEAR i think it was like seventeen ninety two or something like. It we both Had Leonard, levy the great constitutional. Historian i've talked about him a few times on various. PODCASTS i describe him as you. Agree he was an old new deal, liberal which today you would be a fascist on you, know history and law. Faculties but even forty some years ago when we encountered, him he liked us like conservative, students that's the. Point he. Liked Harry jaffa would send, all say to study With, levy and he loved having. Us AND i reflected on that. Later the reason he liked us so much is were necessarily better students than the history students are, smarter but we weren't his history. Assists you, KNOW i remember being in a couple of classes with the history students and they'd kind of, SAY i guess they want to be. PROFESSORS i don't, know but they seemed unambitious in certain, ways and it was like their attitude was, always, well is this going to be on the? Test our attitude was wait a, minute why Did madison say? That maybe it was? Right and if it's not, right why? Right so so we took the matter more seriously and more. Deeply but, anyway Sorry i'm rambling on. That, well, no there would give me a couple of your Favorite levy.
Speaker 3: Memories but BEFORE i could do, that it was one of the other history professors and we asked, him why do you teach, history because we think you teach history to learn lessons about, truth and he, said, well know that there's no such thing as.
Speaker 4: True he, said we do the.
Speaker 3: History because we like to tell nice, stories, Right and it's just you, Know levy didn't believe that he was much closer to us on, this that you study history like you study great biographies to learn how to address human condition and human problems that are are consistent throughout, history and you, know some people of great minds confront these issues and if they're, right that's that's a lesson to. Learn if they're, wrong that's a mindfield to avoid in the. Future but either way you learn something. Right And levy approached history in that in that fashion that was it was, good you, know and he you know the.
Speaker 4: Stories.
Speaker 3: Uh he was a more absolutist On First, Amendment, yes including things THAT i don't think the founders would have thought covered The First.
Speaker 4: AMENDMENT i was going to bring that.
Speaker 2: Up. Yeah he was always sort of a classic old A c L u civil, libertarian including defending. Pornography AND i remember in one time a public, event So i'm not really you, know BUT i remember one time he, says, no pornography is absolutely protected by The First. Amendment he, says, SIDES i like. PORNOGRAPHY i use. Pornography he was, shocked that Was but to his, credit you, know he went beyond THE aclu parameters you might, say and late in life he, said, hey wait a, minute property rights are a human right every bit as much as freedom of speech and freedom of. Religion and what did he write. SOME i mean he never. QUITE i don't think he followed or Studied Richard epstein's, work for, example but he arrived at the same. Place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no and and AND i, mean, look we have we have rights in our, property but we have property in our, rights you, Know. Madison madison's essay on property is one of the great statements of the fundamental human rights, property because property is more a fundamental right than anything, else because it is it is a creation of your own hand that leads your ability to have. Property and so an extension of your human right to liberty is a function of the thing that is produced.
Speaker 4: With that, liberty your.
Speaker 3: Property And madison goes further and, says because we have different, capatities it's going to be. Unequal and so to try and treat our equal rights under law as a guarantee of equal outcome is to destroy the notion of property. Rights and that's this is the main fight between the socialist wing and The Democrat party and the rest of the sane.
Speaker 4: Country.
Speaker 2: YEAH i have two more questions for you THAT i did not prepare you, for so we'll just see how it. Goes one, is was It napoleon who said make no small plans somebody like. That so you know you've taken on birthright citizenship and we've just talked about the General welfare. Clause those are no small. Things is there another not small thing out there that's on your radar.
Speaker 3: Screen, well it was on our radar. Screen we've just won. It and that was the pushback against the notion of independent agencies in the federal, government which you, KNOW i went back when we founded The Constitutional Jurisprudence center twenty five years. Ago, NOW i wrote a memo of thing the dozen or a dozen and a half bad decisions of The Supreme court that we wanted to, target and we've won about three quarters of. Those, now the biggie this, YEAR i think the one that's going to have the most staying power and be the most consequential is taking out the cornerstone of the administrative state from The New deal case Called Humphreys, executor where it said The president The congress can limit the president's ability to remove executive officers and this is. Insane Uh and and the argument made In Humphrey's executor by The New deal era court, UNANIMOUSLY i, mean not even the good guys Came our way on this was that because they didn't Like roosevelt being the one that wielded the executive. Power the argument, was, well we need these independent agencies to be directly accountable to the people without being filtered through the elected, Representatives like how are they directly accountable to the people if not being filtered through the one guy that we can. Elect and so the case Called trump Versus slaughter Slaughtered humphrey's executive and and and it restored the president's ability to control the executive branch except for THE, fed which you, know kind of as an incoherent split the baby decision By Chief Justice. Roberts but this means that the president gets to remove you. Know and there's wonderful the case that came Before humphrey's executor that had it. Right it was case Called myers. Right And President hoover sent a letter to a postmaster first class, saying you, KNOW i THINK i need to have a full confidence in the people that are running the various bureaus under, me AND i don't have a full confidence in, you so please step. Down he, refused And hoover fired. Him and then that case goes all the way up in The court agreed the president has the authority to remove this. Guy, Well trump's executive order Removing slaughter at The Federal Trade commission use similar. LANGUAGE i need to have a full. CONFIDENCE i, said it was just.
Speaker 2: Wonderful my, recollection Wasn't Chief Justice taft wrote that opinion who'd been? President, right which is a kind of an. Ira and then AS i recall his, OPINION i THINK i did a word. Count it was fifty five thousand words. Long it seemed to me it could have done that in five hundred and fifty.
Speaker 3: Words but, really, well AND i think there Was Leonard levy that taught us. This once you, know you can tell the caliber of the reasoning inverse relationship to the number of.
Speaker 5: Words it takes a, lot it takes right there you, Go although that's not quite true entirely Because Justice thomas's ninety one page descent is just dismantles the majority.
Speaker 2: Opinion, right all, right last question that this is maybe an odd one or maybe maybe requires a whole, hour and don't want to do. That so your principally work in you, know constitutional, law and you're practicing, lawyer but also have a background in political. Philosophy SO i wonder if you have some sort of leading thoughts about what is now going under the banner of post liberalism or or you, Know catholic, integolism if You're Adrian. Formule and there's several different strains of, this but there's also a strain of it like For. MULE i suppose other people on the right who they don't you hear us from young conservatives who ARE i think The founding was. Defective their argument really is it failed to stop the progressive onslaught of the last one hundred, years therefore it was insufficient or defective in some. WAY i think that's. Mistaken but you, KNOW i think we agree on. That but what do you make of all? That and are you engaged in it? Much or have you you stick to your.
Speaker 4: KNITTING i stick to my.
Speaker 3: Knitting i'm not engaging in that BECAUSE i think a lot of it is naval gazing and. Wrong but it's also a reflective of a a progressive movement view of the common sense and wisdom of people. Generally it flows out of the progressive notion that we're not capable of governing ourselves and we need experts to tell us how to do, things And.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah vermil in particular defends the administrative. State he And Cass sunstein are united on. That that's.
Speaker 3: Amazing and and you, know years AGO i taught of a seminar on the federalist and anti federalist, debates and the paper assignment was to have them pick one of the issues debates between the federal an anti federalists and write a paper about it looking at modern.
Speaker 4: Dispute and look at it in light of.
Speaker 3: That and one of the best students in the class came back with saying that the anti federalists were right about the explosive expansion of the central. GOVERNMENT i, SAID i agree that that's, happened BUT i want you to now address the second, question when did it?
Speaker 4: Happen and she came back and.
Speaker 3: She, says you, know the federalists were right for the first century of our nation's. History this change occurred after we get the sixteenth and Seventeenth. Amendment and so the federals were, right but the prediction of the anti federalists became right once we altered the. Structure that the structure The senate being elected by the state legislatures was a protection of states and state authority against an overreaching federal. Government and when you get rid of, that which is one of the first things the progressive movement, does all held breaks.
Speaker 4: Loose now that's not.
Speaker 3: Directly on the common, good you, know and virtue and all that, stuff but it is on kind of A catholic subsidiary.
Speaker 4: Principle.
Speaker 3: Right if you've got the local community taking care of the local, things they are going to learn to be virtuous in a way that you don't get when things are being decided three thousand miles away without. Input and so the two were, connected it seems to.
Speaker 2: Me, Yeah and you also just suggest their attention that hardly anyone notices you mentioned, subsidiarity Longtime catholic. Doctrine and yet some of the proponents of common good, constitutionalism Like mule Or patrick denine that seems very centralized in practice and not harmonious with. Subsidiarity and that's one OBSERVATION i. MADE i did Tell Vermule ones actually cornered him at a. Debate but his little, book you, know it's tiny little. BOOK i, said this book needs to be at least AS i was, teasing, well not, REALLY i was propri this book needs to be five times. Longer it's got to be on the scale of raws to actually get into details of what this really means in. Practice so will you please give us that? Book, well you can't do, IT i, Think.
Speaker 3: BUT i think the fact that they gravitate towards centralized decision making on key cultural questions is exactly the, problem because the system we have is set up so that people can make. Mistakes when you bring experts in that think they're the ones that settle all, things Like Anthony, fauci and they make a, mistake it's. Catastrophic and the whole idea of subsidiarity or, federalism to put it in constitutional, terms is that we can make a mistake at a local level and it doesn't destroy the entire. System whereas you do it, centralized you necessarily gravitate toward kind of oligarchy authoritarian decision, making and nobody else gets to challenge. It and those two things seem incompatible on the front, end but they are central to each.
Speaker 2: Other, OH i have one more wild question to ask you just occur to. Me, now do you think there is a pathway or a chance That obergafel will be overturned?
Speaker 3: Someday, well in The dobbs, Decision Justice thomas certainly invites, that and.
Speaker 4: So you know it's. Possible, WELL i think you can read it that.
Speaker 2: Way BUT i always tell people who the left who attacks him on that, POINT i, say read the next page where he, says shouldn't some of THESE i, Mean i'm not sure which decisions he, means but it just shouldn't some of these old precedents that were flabby used to do process. Claws shouldn't they be re anchored in The privileges And immunities. Clause Now i'm not sure that would reach to A bergefeller not but STILL i think you got it both sides of that. Eye that's.
Speaker 3: Right but but and he does this in The Second amendment. CASES i got a Grand by the, way The Reason Second amendment, Case Justice, alito writing on behalf of the, majority gives a huge hat tip To Justice thomas from the McDonald, decision saying this has to be grounded in privileged. Immunities we had a fight with the Late Justice scalia over. This oh, yes because because the historical record from the crafting of the Fourteenth, amendment there were two, things the freedom of contract and the right to keeping bare arms for self. Defense this was front and center why we have the privileged communities, Clause and Even scalia wouldn't go, there you, know the biggest critic of substantive due. Process rather stick with subst to do process than open up a New pandora's box on privileged. Communities and that just means he doesn't understand the historical pedigree of the natural law tradition of privileged.
Speaker 2: Community, well, right we, know we know his difficulty on. That so. Strange see IF i remember this, right the McDonald. Case that was The chicago gun. Case and AS i, recall the court asked and the cert grant to have the case briefed on the privileges and immunity's aspect of. It and the lawyer Was Alan gura gets up and brings it up And scalia cuts him off his, no we're not doing, that go, on move, on? Right oh and then did did he write the opinions or Was alito who said we were invited to review this and we declined that. INVITATION i think that opened up. That, okay SO i missed.
Speaker 3: Opportunity, well but But Justice thomas is separate concurring. Him he did not concur in the opinion on subs and who do? Process he wrote separately and concurred only in the. Judgment and that means that without his analysis and privileged, communities that case goes the other.
Speaker 4: Direction his is the this hiding.
Speaker 3: Vote but uh, no, uh you, know we we had we had years. AGO i Invited Justice scalia to talk To Chapman Law school WHEN i was still with. Him and, uh he, Said i'll be happy to come. Out, heuman BUT i can't come a. Graduation it's too busy up.
Speaker 4: Here, Well Justice, clee you can come whenever you.
Speaker 3: Want it's. Great what do you want me to talk? About you can talk about whatever you, want he. Said the, men we're going to talk About lockner because you're wrong About. Lockner, oh and so we came, in but you have The.
Speaker 2: David bernstein view of oh, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Of COURSE i. Did that's.
Speaker 3: Right and and, UH i, Said Justice, Scalia, uh it's one hundredth anniversary Of lockner and we're going to re enact. It you can play the role With Chief, justice which may, be which may be as close as you ever get to. That and we we.
Speaker 4: Had we had.
Speaker 3: Five law students and three undergraduate students on the bench with, him and we start off and he, said SO i started, arguing we've Got Attorney general Of, California Bill. Locker oh, god it was an, idiot but it was Representing New york in The New York Versus lockner. Case AND i start, OFF i, said you, know this violates the privilege we got rid of privileged, immunities you got anything? ELSE i, said, well violates the due process of law.
Speaker 4: Clause and he said.
Speaker 3: What part of what part of due process of law has substance to? IT i, said it's in the word, law your, Honor and he, said who said? THAT i, said, WELL i know one day your court's not going to like to have foreign sources of a Thirty but that Was.
Speaker 4: Cicero he's a pretty good.
Speaker 2: One what states he?
Speaker 4: From AND i Said?
Speaker 2: ILLINOIS i, THINK i, said.
Speaker 4: The state Of. Sicily you're honored just like your, Family, like, oh that was.
Speaker 3: Good, Yeah so we had agree And Bill locker is sitting there cut clueless of what they what they're going back and forth, was but that was that was great. Fun but you, know it, Demonstrated, look you look At lockner and the right of people to earn a, living you, know without undue restrictions on their, ability.
Speaker 4: And that's a core property.
Speaker 3: Right to get back to what we talked about, earlier that the court got. Right and you, know unfortunately The, descent The descent that said they, were you, know Forcing spencer's social. Status that's just not what what The descent was trying to do is do. That and and so it's one of the great mischievous recharacterizations we've ever.
Speaker 2: SEEN i, think by the, WAY i Think jaffa uh never thought about the case, deeply BUT i think to the extent he, ever there's one or two References i've seen to him where he seems to take the conventional view Of, lockner AND i think he would have changed his mind if he lived long enough to, see, Say David bernstein's work and so. Forth but, yeah, right all, right let's get out with a little bit of. FUN i won't tell listeners about when we were. Housemates you, know you're trying to burn down the house with letting your car go on. Fire AND i won't tell listeners about swinging from the chandelier on the going away.
Speaker 4: Party that wasn't, me that was that was one of our other.
Speaker 2: Mickey he set your car on, fire, RIGHT i know.
Speaker 3: That the non PhD student in the room decided he was angry at us because we had a barbecue On sunday, night and, then without realizing barbecue charcoal stays a, lot he dumped it onto a pile of dead leaves over which my car was.
Speaker 4: Partying oh was that?
Speaker 2: IT i couldn't remember how that a'll. WENT i just remember all of our high jinks and mischief and figured you probably had some blackmail material on me somewhere in the recesses of your. MIND i don't.
Speaker 3: KNOW i brought him to the front of my, mind ready to be armed IF i needed.
Speaker 2: Them, well Thanks, john this has been really, fun and we will pay attention to what's.
Speaker 3: Next let's see if the just this apartment And russvoyte takes up my invitation to quit spending on local projects and we force that, issue BECAUSE i think getting the court back in.
Speaker 4: The game is the only thing that saves us from.
Speaker 3: What's the old, line nations gradually get toward bankruptcy and then all of.
Speaker 4: A, Sudden oh that's. Right, yeah well we're getting close to the all of a sudden. Cliff, yeah so very. Good, well Thanks steve for having me On ricochet join the, conversation