Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, OH KFI Radio. This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 3: Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 1: Station. This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call.
Speaker 4: How do you hear me?
Speaker 2: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 4: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 5: And his name is Amy King.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Business Here, I am, here you are, and this is your wake up call for Friday, February seventh. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Happy to have you along for the ride this morning. I think it might be a wild ride. It's going to be a wild ride on the roads. Just so you know, heads up if you're heading out to work this morning. The roads are wet and there is some standing water. I hit a couple of little hydroplaning. Not super bad. It's been a lot worse. I mean there's not like huge flooding areas, but there is some Will's going to keep you all updated on that and my advice, and we're never supposed to tell you what to do. But my advice is just slowed down a little bit. Oh yeah, there was somebody driving in that and I usually, I will admit I usually speed a little bit on my way to work because there's nobody on the roads. But there was somebody who was going about seventy five and I was like, dude, stop. And for the last couple of days, Will's been telling us there's a lot of single car spinouts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you can't stop. You can't. I mean you're on roller skates out there when it's wet like this.
Speaker 1: Exactly, So be safety first.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It's February seventh, one month since the fire started. One month, can you believe that? And yesterday we talked to Kevin McManus at Pasadena Humane because we've been telling you they've reunited like fourteen hundred animals with their owners, and they're housing hundreds of pets that have already been reunited, but their owners don't have a place to live right now, and so they're sheltering those pets for them until they find they're a more permanent place to stay. And we mentioned that we were going to put some video up and that is now up on my Instagram. At amy K King. Would love for you to follow me, but it's at amy K King, and we have some pictures of beautiful dogs and cats and little cats in their bandages and stuff from the burns. But the good news is most of them are getting better, so that's great. Here's what's ahead on wake up call this Friday morning. The heaviest of the rains from this second storm moving through southern California are happening pretty much now, with rain tapering off later today. The National Weather Services storm is unlikely to trigger mud and debris flows and for the most part, should bring the area beneficial rains with minimal impacts. Nearly three hundred people who lost their homes in the fire in Altadena are going to have to leave the Pasadena Convention Center where they've been staying for the last month. Plans are to relocate them closer to Altadena. The Red Cross that says they'll continue to provide shelter until people can find that permanent housing. Ev sales in California are slowing down. For the past two years, one in four new cars sold in California where electric vehicles. The sales trend seems to have stabilized at a rate that could jeopardize the state's goal of phasing out new gas powered vehicles by in the next few years. Next year, as Californnia law mandates thirty five percent of all new vehicle sales must be zero emission. Super Bowl is two days away. ABC's Jim Ryan says people are placing their bets on just about everything. We're going to be talking to him. At five twenty, water bills go up, but it's not because you're using more water. We're going to talk to the house whisper about that. That's at five point thirty. Pretty interesting stuff. And also at five point fifty, ABC's Wild Gans is on the stream with a movie, a docu series, and a streaming series that he says you don't want to miss. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. EPA administrator Lie Zelden has toured the Eton and Palisades fire burn areas as work continues on Phase one cleanup. He says no American has ever seen anything like this ever before, and he says hopefully no American we'll ever have to see something like this ever again. He says the goal is to finish Phase one in thirty days. Phase one removes hazardous materials, and once that work is finished, the Army Corps of Engineers will expand its Phase two clearance of debris, which is expected to take at least a year to fully complete. The man accused of setting a brushfire near the Chatsworth Reservoir has been charged with two felonies. Alejandro Martinez was detained by witnesses on Monday after he allegedly started the fire. La Canti Sheriff's deputies showed up to arrest him. He's now charged with arson an attempt to burn. He could face more than six years in prison. La City leaders say it takes too long to build houses.
Speaker 6: The city council has voted to explore speeding up the permit process for single family homes. Councilwoman Nitthia Rahman says it takes an average of eight hundred days between permitting and construction to get one built.
Speaker 7: Right now, about half of the Planning Department's work is tied up in permit approvals that are for relatively simple projects.
Speaker 6: She says a self certification option for skilled professionals like architects could help clear that logjam. The Department of Building and Safety has been instructed to figure out what that program might look like.
Speaker 4: Michael Monks k if I Knews.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to ABC's jordonah Miller in Jerusalem, So Jordana. Everyone seems to hate President Trump's idea to have the US take control of Gaza, except Israel, and they're apparently liking it and planning to make it happen.
Speaker 8: Well, I would say, the Israeli government loves this plan, right, which we can understand because it's a conservative government and a far right government, and they've always fantasized about somehow moving Palestinians out so they could come, you know, into an area that they consider, you know, as part of Israel or should be settled by Israelis. But I would say, you know, the Israeli public and the rest of the country, you know, they don't love this idea so much. You know, the idea of moving two million people forcefully, you know, out of the Gaza strip. You know, it's it's and there's legal problems with it, right, It's a violation of international laws. Some call it a war crime.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 8: And then it's you know, and then this and it has all kinds of moral issues, right, So I think I think it's you know, it's safe to say that NATANIELI supports it and his government and of course part of his government is the defense minister who ordered the army to look into how they could plan right, plan for uh, you know, Gosins who voluntarily want to leave. But just to be clear, nothing on the ground in Gaza has changed, uh, you know, no one, no one, there's there's first of all, dozens don't want to leave the Gaza strip number two. Where would they go? Right, because everyone in the region doesn't want to be a part of displacing Palestinians.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was going to ask you. On a practical level, where do they go?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, this is I mean, this is a plan that you know, it it realistically, it cannot be implemented really really, you know unless you bring the American army here or ask the Israelis to you know, forcefully displaced people. And there's nowhere they're going to go because the Egypt and Jordan, you know, and the Saudis and other places in Europe. By the way, no one wants to be part of moving Palestinians off of the land, because this is a conflict over land, right, and you know, and all of a sudden, you know, what we don't talk about with this outlandish proposal the president you know, dropped on everyone is that it very much, you know, challenges the two state solution because it takes Gaza out of the equation, right, And Gaza was always part of the two state solution, even in President Trump's own twenty twenty Mid East Peace Land. It was there, right, it was there, and it was ultimately going to be connected to the West Bank through tunnels and highways. But if you go ahead and try to push everybody out, take over and turn it into what he called the revier of the Middle East, well then you've now just taken a huge chunk of the land that Palestinians is their future state. I mean, that's really at the bottom of it where the anger and outrage comes from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so, Jordana, you said that nothing had changed in Gaza right now, like as so we know that the fighting has stopped and.
Speaker 8: Where we're in the eeast fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my question is is the aid getting in? That was the big you know, one of the big things is these people have been cut off and starving for a year and a half. Are they getting aid into Gaza on a regular basis or in a nut Are they getting enough.
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 8: Well, I mean the u N and Ocha, the one of its agencies is reporting that you know, over eight hundred trucks of eight or getting in a day. The problem is distributing the aid and getting it to people who need it. It's a huge operation and the u N, you know, I don't think there's enough staff on the ground in Gaza for you know, for logistics, you know, getting people to put the aid on trucks, driving the trucks through. I mean, thankfully you think there's not combat anymore, but that doesn't mean that they can easily traverse roads that have been destroyed. You have to make sure you're not going to, you know, go near munitions that haven't exploded.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 8: It's there's a lot of sanitation systems that need to be repaired, and water systems and electricity. So it's a you know, it is an absolute mess there and the aid is getting in, but again we're seeing the problem of distribution. So that's a you know, that is one of the central problems. And I know we've talked about that, you know, over and over again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we know that it's not anything that's going to get fixed anytime soon, but we do seem to be taking some steps in the right direction. So ABC's Jerdannah Miller in Jerusalem, thank you so much, as always for the information. Have a good weekend. Yeah, take care. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The former interpreter for Dodgers star Shohei Otani has been sentenced in Orange County to four years and nine months in federal prison. Acting US Attorney Joseph McNally says Ibe Musuhara took advantage of Otani, who trusted him.
Speaker 10: The sentence, both the prison time and restitution reflect the seriousness of the offense and send a strong message to others who might decide to engage in this criminal conduct.
Speaker 1: Misihara stole nearly seventeen million dollars from Otani by gaining access to the player's bank account and pretending to be him when interacting with bank representatives. Zahara was also ordered yesterday to pay more than eighteen million dollars in restitution to Otani and a federal judge is temporarily blocked President Trump's buyout plan for federal employees. ABC's Christian Cordero says the decision yesterday came hours before the midnight deadline for workers to make a decision.
Speaker 9: The judge set a hearing for Monday to consider blocking the buyout offer. Ten days ago, more than two million federal employees received an email with a choice resign now and be paid through September or run the risk of being laid off.
Speaker 1: Labor unions say the buyouts are illegal. An administration official has said more than sixty thousand federal workers have already accepted the buyout offer. A plane with ten people on board is missing in Alaska. It disappeared yesterday afternoon while headed from a town in western Alaska to Nome. There were nine passengers and one pilot. The plane's exact location is not known, but the Coastguard says it was about twelve miles off shore when its position was lost. The Critics' Choice Awards are going to be presented tonight at Barker Hangar in Santa Monica. And Wicked each have eleven nominations. Dune Part two and Amelia Perez each have ten. All four of those films are nominated for Best Picture, along with A Complete Unknown, Anorra, The Brutalist, Nickel Boys, Sing Sing, and The Substance. In the TV categories, FX's Showgun leads all nominees with six nominations, including one for Best Drama Series. Former Vice President Harris has toured the Palisades fire burn area and met with firefighters and thanked them for what they've been doing. EPA administrator lie Zelden visited both the Eton and Palisades fire zones yesterday, saying the damage is unlike anything Americans have ever seen before. Officials are warning that there are people posing as law enforcement or Immigration and Customs enforcement agents. LA School Superintendent Alberto Carvallo says they are aware of people claiming to be ICE agents approaching people, which is generating fear in the community. The NCAA's officially banned transgender athletes from women's college sports. The decision comes after President Trump signed an executive order about it on Wednesday at six o five. Handle on the News Project twenty twenty five's co author now has a place in the Trump administration. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan got a big game this weekend, eight million dollars for commercials and more money than that on the line because people are betting on well everything.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, absolutely everything, and now they can do so legally. Amy in twenty eighteen, the Supreme Court said, yeah, go ahead, you states out there, you decide whether your people can gamble legally on sports. And about thirty eight states now have taken up the Supreme Court on that offer. At California is not one of them, as you know, neither is Utah, Idaho, Oklahoma, Texas.
Speaker 1: So we just do it yearly.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: So we're just doing it illegally.
Speaker 5: I know, scoff laws, office pools, betting on you know, going online. I don't people do it. They do whether they're whether it's legal or not. But in terms of legal sports betting, one point three nine billion dollars will be bet on the Super Bowl, according to the American Gaming Association. That's a record, you know, I get that.
Speaker 1: But it just seems like, you know, just throwing a lot of that money away, you know, when you look at other things that we've got going. You know, it's a month since our wildfires. Maybe everybody just sends a dollar a.
Speaker 5: Billion dollars would go a long way toward making repairs out there.
Speaker 1: I know, right, Okay, So what are people betting on?
Speaker 5: Well, they're betting on the outcome of the game. The Campas City are favored slightly, at least a little bit their favored. But will Travis Kelsey proposed to Taylor Swift during the game?
Speaker 1: Oh geez, really, yes, really, I'm going to do I'm going to do the odds off on that one.
Speaker 5: The odds say no, The odds makers say that no, he won't propose to Taylor Swift during the game. Will how long will the national anthem be? Will it be under one hundred and twenty point five seconds or over one hundred and twenty five seconds? Bet MGM odds show that it will be over one hundred and twenty seconds, which will be the first song that Kendrick Lamaris sings at halftime. You can bet on pretty much anything. Will any player or coach cry during the national anthem? That's a push.
Speaker 1: I cried during the national anthem?
Speaker 5: Okay, But will Travis Kelton the great picture of Travis sitting there with tears in his eyes during the national anthem? Thus, three years ago, maybe yeah, but yeah, it's an emotional but still the odds, the odds makers say that it's say, yes minus one fifteen, no, minus one fifteen, So it's a push, okay.
Speaker 1: So and these are called bets, right, prop bits like how many of them are there?
Speaker 5: Oh you know, Amory? Yeah easily? It just depending, you know, and it changes throughout the course of the game too. Will you know, will so and so be the next person to catch a pass? Well, so and so you know how long will the next field goal attempt be?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it changes throughout the course of the game. But yeah, there are as many prop bets, is there are, you know, possibilities for each aspect.
Speaker 4: Of the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, And who are you rooting for, mister Ryan rooting for or anybody?
Speaker 5: Really don't have a favorite me either.
Speaker 1: I'm a Niners fan, so I don't, are you. I don't have a horse in this in this vice?
Speaker 5: Neither do I. The Cowboys were out and Cowboys may never win again, but you know, they've got three super Bowls under their belt. But it seems that I've covered super Bowls at the game. I'm trying to count how many five or six or something like that, And you have to stay kind of down the and impartial. So I think that's kind of my habit now even if I'm not there, that I don't have a favorite, I don't care so much and just cover the game or the profits.
Speaker 1: Well, we appreciate your We appreciate your efforts, mister Ryan.
Speaker 5: Why care of Travis Kelsey proposes to Taylor Swift?
Speaker 1: Not in the least, I hope if that's a if it really is a real relationship, in real love that they do that privately.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe let's make a better subserbation ABC, Jim Ryan, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: All right, seeya, all right.
Speaker 1: Two men from Hacienda Heights have been charged with smuggling contraband from China into the US through the ports of LA and Long Beach. The federal charges are conspiracy and illegally removing goods from customs custody. The men allegedly directed cargo containers flagged for secondary inspection by US Customs and Border Protection to off site locations. Then the contra band was swapped for filler cargo and the containers were returned to be inspected. A nineteen year old man's accused of running over and killing a pregnant woman in Riverside. The baby was medically delivered at Riverside Community Hospital late Sunday and listed in critical condition. Isaac Garcia was arrested the next day on suspicion of murder, hit and run, and unlawful sex with a minor. He was allegedly in a sexual relationship with the pregnant woman's younger sister and sped off when confronted by her family. Elon Musk says the Department of Government Efficiency has its eyes on the nation's air traffic control system. Gafi's Mark Mayfield says Democrats call that a scary suggestion.
Speaker 11: Texas Congressman Greg Kazar says this is another instance where Musk is grandstanding. The billionaire, though wrote on x that he has President Trump's support. The plan, he claims is to make rapid safety upgrades to the nation's air traffic control system.
Speaker 1: President Trump said yesterday the country's air traffic control system needs and overhaul. USC will replace the traditional valedict orient speech at this Springs commencement ceremony with what it calls a student commencement speaker. The university says it's being done to open the process to a larger pool of applicants rather than just being open to students who have great GPAs the university says, the new process recognizes academic achievement along with other abilities. Okay, one quick beef, as we're leading up to Super Bowl, and you know that I don't have a horse in the race on this one. But you know what I hate. I hate that we have seen all the Super Bowl ads already, not all of them. Like, so these companies spend eight million dollars and they want to get their money's worth. But what it takes away kind of the Aha, it takes away the fun of it, the anticipation. It's like, it's like if they played the game before the game was played.
Speaker 4: I think you've already seen the Billy Crystal ad and.
Speaker 1: The Billy Crystal ad here it is hell.
Speaker 4: Something wrong not doing it?
Speaker 2: No good.
Speaker 4: Probably can't have that.
Speaker 1: I'm just sitting in the cafeteria like they were before. And when Harry met Sally.
Speaker 4: It starts, what's happening?
Speaker 1: Oh man, Oh my god, oh god, just a little violent there. This one's real. Okay, So it's a Hellman's commercial and she's like, that's a great sandwich. But it's kind of cute, but I would have so much rather waited and seen it during the game. It's a trend like they've been doing it for years, but I wish they'd stop. If you're listening, stop, I would think that they would get more of their money's worth if they waited. Agreed, agreed, All right, Well you got two of us who think the same. We like that for ourmer. Vice President Kamala Harris has toured the Palisades fire burn area, met with firefighters and thanked them for their efforts. K Rails and sandbags are in place, and tensions remain high in the Palisades and Eaten fire burn areas as a second storm moves through, but the National Weather Service's rainfall rates at their peaks should be about a third of an inch an hour, which is not expected to trigger any major mud and debris flows or flooding. A man's been arrested for allegedly using fake EBT and ATM cards to steal thousands of dollars in public assistance in Lancaster. Prosecutors say the guy was caught trying to withdraw thirteen thousand dollars in an anti skimming operation last weekend. Prosecutors say he'd already taken out more than four thousand dollars with the fake cards. He's pleaded not guilty to charges. Let's say good morning now to the house whisper and the host of home on KFI. It's Dean Sharp. So Dean, we know that water prices have gone up, a lot of our water bills have gone up, but our water usage is way the heck down.
Speaker 12: You know, right, And I know a story on this last week, but I just thought this is worth celebrating, This is worth giving everybody in southern California a serious round of applause on because you know, it's a big thing. Do you remember, do you remember when we're gonna find you if you water your lawn on the wrong day and you got to tear out your lawn and we're all gonna die and there's nothing left.
Speaker 4: And now.
Speaker 12: Per person, water usage in southern California has dropped to its lowest in thirty five years. So you know, well done, Southern Californians. Well done.
Speaker 1: Okay, So why is it just because people are more aware? Is it because water prices are higher, or do we have more efficient.
Speaker 8: I think.
Speaker 12: Well, I mean, the water district gives is patting themselves on the back for finally getting on the ball and reclaiming more rain water, like what's happening today, reclaiming more of that water. But the largest bulk of it, in my opinion, comes from a couple of simple things. Finally, people have just taken the advice switched over their mass air based sprinkler systems to drip irrigation. And there a lot of people, a lot a lot of people have installed these bridge valves and recirculation pumps in their home. What's that, Well, this is the simple thing. You and I have talked about it before. It's the idea that this one little device placed at the furthest sink away from your water heater allows hot water to be drawn through the house further without wasting it, so that when you turn on that faucet or you turn on that shower in the morning, you're not waiting three minutes to get in for the hot water to show up. And it's a small thing experience ventially that we've talked about for years now, but so many homeowners have done this because the fact of the matter is waiting that two or three minutes for the hot water to show up. That's two or three minutes of water going down the drain, and that is singlely responsible for hundreds of billions of gallons of water being wasted in southern California. And that simply is not happening the same way anymore. Combined that with people irrigating their property differently, and we're in a good place.
Speaker 1: I like that. I think it's because the low flow toilets.
Speaker 4: Low flow toilets now.
Speaker 12: Low flow toilets have been around for a long time, but yeah, incrementally, brick by brick, we have just stepped away from heavy water usage. And now again I think everybody deserves a round of applause, okay, which is not to say is not to say there it is. It's not to say we should all just turn all the tap and walk away. It's just I think it's become our lifestyle now and it's no big deal anymore.
Speaker 4: And that's great. That's where we were hoping to get to.
Speaker 1: Okay, we don't, we have almost no time, but I wanted to just touch base really quick. We got that report from NASA and JPL this week that the Palace Verde is shifting, and during a month last fall it was like four inches a week. You're saying that it's up to twelve inches per week in some areas. Do those guys have any hope of saving their homes or are they just is it inevitable that they're eventually they're all just going to crumble.
Speaker 4: No, they don't, and they really don't.
Speaker 12: This actually, the Portuguese Bend landslide has actually been happening since late nineteen fifties. It has been shifting and moving, and now recent there are last couple of heavy rains through the last couple of bad winters set it off. It is a deep slip zone. It is happening way way down below them. Part of the reason it's moving is because of the homes and the weight and the road systems that have been built on top of it. And it is a massive, massive amount of soil that is now shifting. There's no reinforcing it, there's no retaining walls that are going to stop it. And now it's moving. As you said, you know, up to certain areas twelve inches a week. That is simply not going to be stopped. So those hundreds of homes that have already been affected. I'm afraid that they are just going to have to find a way of walking away from those very very likely the majority of that area is going to be reallocated as open space on the peninsula.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Dean, what are you gonna be talking about on the show this weekend.
Speaker 12: Well, we've got a very special show on Sunday whose topic I am not revealing yet. But Saturday tomorrow morning, we're taking calls and we're discussing more of these design oddities from around southern California.
Speaker 1: Ooh, that sounds fun. Okay, six to eight tomorrow morning right here on KFI, and then nine to noon with a secret guest on Sunday. It's the house Whisper and the host of Home on KFI, Dean Sharp, Thank you, Thanks Inge. All right, now, let's move on to money and say good morning to Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Good morning, Courtney. The jobs report coming out? Is it out? Is it out? It's out? Happy Friday?
Speaker 13: First of all, it is. Yeah, it's the event of the week for Wall Street. We wait for this. This gives us a better indication on the health of the economy. It's something that the federal Reserve looks that closely to make its decision on interest rates. So America added one hundred and forty three thousand jobs in January. That was lower than what Wall Street expected, so a bit of a surprise, But another month of solid additions to the labor market, plus the unemployment rate take lower, so that's a bit of good news. Four percent. In December it was at four point one percent. The Bureau of Labor Statistics, that's the group of fun folks that bring us this report. They actually said that the wildfires had no discernible effect on employment for the month. Also, the wintry weather and the cold that we've been seeing. We've been seeing a lot of cold here in New York that has had no effect on these numbers.
Speaker 1: Courtney, I get excited about cat videos, and you get excited about the jobs report. I think that's funny.
Speaker 13: That's so true. I'm like, this is the exciting time of the month for us here.
Speaker 1: As I was.
Speaker 13: Digging a little bit into the report too, it said that the sectors that did the most hiring included healthcare, retail, and social assistance. So it's exciting to see things like this. Where are the jobs moving? What kind of jobs.
Speaker 1: Are being created in the United States.
Speaker 13: This is fun, exciting stuff, and that's why we're seeing the markets have a bit of reaction to this. At first, when the numbers came out, they Wall Street looked at it. They sent futures down a bit. But right now we were starting to climb back. We're a little bit higher. We talked about f is the indication of where the markets are going, and it looks like Dow futures are higher, up forty points.
Speaker 1: Oh well, that's good news. Okay. So we had talked about Starbucks trying to kind of claw their way back after having several quarters of down business, and one of the things they're doing is they're letting the baristas write little notes on cups again.
Speaker 3: Hell a little bit of love.
Speaker 13: Well, Starbucks customers are starting to see messages scrawled with the sharpie wishing folks a great weekend. We're simply saying, enjoy. The chain's rolling out this new policy, hoping that the notes or the doodles are a better way to connect with customers if they actually get your name right, I'm Colleen. A lot of times, lots of patrons say that the messages are lighting up their day, but other customers are saying what are people doing?
Speaker 1: On TikTok.
Speaker 13: One lady actually shared a video of her boyfriend's cup with a winking face drawn on it, and she posted, Starbucks really going to start some trouble with.
Speaker 1: This new policy. Oh you have a jealous girlfriend see red flag in my opinion, yeah, the Starbucks person, but the jealous girlfriend. Than thanks going on there.
Speaker 13: All right, But workers are having a bit of concern with all of this because they say that this is going to slow down service. And this is something that Starbucks has been trying to fix. We've been talking about this for a bit. But one store said a barista is actually being reassigned to focus exclusively on riding on the cup sturing business.
Speaker 1: Don okay, I want that job, Bloomberg Courtney, Donaho. Thank you so much for the information. We can't wait to talk to you again on Monday, because we get to talk to you every day on wake up call right about this time. Thanks so much. Have a great week, all right, you two courney. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom and La County Sheriff's Deputy's been found guilty of using excessive force during a shoplifting investigation outside of supermarket in Lancaster. The indictment said Trevor Kirk assaulted and pepper sprayed a woman in June of twenty twenty three, then used his sheriff's department radio to call in a misleading report that he had been in a fight. He's facing up to ten years in federal prison when he sentenced in April. The Department of Justice is suing Illinois and the City of Chicago for interfering with the Trump administration's immigration enforcement policies.
Speaker 11: Lawsuit also seeks to sweep away so called sanctuary laws. The DOJ sign of the national Emergency declared by President Trump, and the Department is looking to block enforcement of state and local laws that interfere with the government's enforcement of immigration law.
Speaker 1: Caff E's Mark Mayfield says Attorney General Pam Bondi sent a memmo this week saying sanctuary cities should not get Justice Department grants. San Clemente says it will install surveillance cameras along the coast to watch for boats carrying illegal immigrants over the border. Caffy's Phil Hewlett says the city's been a popular drop off spot for Ponga boats from Mexico.
Speaker 11: Passengers typically attempt to run up the bluff and get into waiting cars on or near Interstate five.
Speaker 14: Over the years, boats have capsized in the surf, leading to injuries and death.
Speaker 1: The US Border Patrol has been asked to install the cameras and then to monitor them around the clock room. Okay, everybody has amassed outside of the news booth because I have my sparkly tennis shoes on today.
Speaker 4: Are very shiny.
Speaker 1: They are very shiny.
Speaker 2: Syndrome and your color blind.
Speaker 1: Because they're black and not red. Okay, Yeah, we got to handle them. We got Nil Savedra and producer Ann gawking at my shoes. It's because they're so darn cute.
Speaker 4: You're jealous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. Anyway, here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four our newsroom. Uh, the rain has triggered some debris flows in the Palisades fire burn area. Some mud and brie came down onto pch and Malibu about three this morning. Crews with bulldozers where were to clear rocks and mud from the roadway. For a fifth straight day, hundreds of people have taken to the streets to protest President Trump's deportation policies. Several hundred people rallied outside the LA Finance Building in Van Nuys yesterday. Many of them were students seen holding signs and Mexican. There were also protests in East LA outside Venice High School and the Wilshire Federal Building. Millions of Americans are expected to call in sick on Monday, the day after the Super Bowl. A twenty twenty four pay Comm survey shows six day requests. We're sixty three percent higher on the Monday after Super Bowl than on an average day. More than ninety percent of managers at US companies approved those sick days after the game. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning, so cocaine is no worse than whiskey. Bill's going to tell us who's saying that right now. Let's say good morning to ABC's Will Gans.
Speaker 3: Will.
Speaker 1: The oscars are about six weeks away, and we've got some watchin to do to catch up.
Speaker 3: We do, we do, so if you plan on taking a sick day on Monday, I've got some great.
Speaker 2: Recommendations for you.
Speaker 3: Okay, Sing Sing is the movie that Coldyn Domingo is nominated for Best Actor.
Speaker 2: He plays.
Speaker 3: It's a true story of a guy who is insinc saying wrongfully convicted and gets involved in a theater group within the prison system that sort of helps inmates get in touch with their emotions and be able to express themselves more thoughtfully and clearly and things like that. And the really cool thing, first of all, Coleman Domago is amazing in this movie. It's why he's nominated for Best Actor. But the really cool thing is that several of the other cast members of this film are playing themselves, so they are formerly incarcerated people who did go through this theater program and are now a part of this movie telling the story about it, which.
Speaker 2: Is really cool.
Speaker 3: And you know, the performances in it are amazing, and the end of it is hopeful and uplifting, which is just what the doctor ordered, at least for me these days. So this movie is now available to stream at home. It was in theaters and you can watch it. I watched it just through my cable provider on demand, but it's on Amazon Prime and all the good places too, So okay, I can't recommend that one enow r.
Speaker 1: Okay, writen that down. Okay, then we all love Saturday Night Live, or at some point in our lives maybe have might not anymore, you know. I mean it kind of waxes and wanes for me. But there's a new docu series on Peacock about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, And it's so funny that you say that, because that's like one of the opening lines of this docu series as well, is people being like, well, when I was growing up, it was Data Carvey and Chris Barley and it was amazing, and now it's you know, so everybody does have an attachment to certain eras of the show. But this docu series is four episodes, and the first episode is about the audition process that the cast members have to go through. So yeah, so they each get five minutes, and all of these auditions are filmed, so you'll have Tracy Morgan sitting down to watch his audition and then he's sort of telling you about what it was like doing that, and then they have the casting director there, and then the next episode is about bringing that Cowbell.
Speaker 2: Sketch to life.
Speaker 3: So it's it's told in a cool way. It's not just linear, like here's what it was like in the sixties. Here's what it was like, you know. So it's it's a cool concept, and it's four episodes and they're all already on Peacock and they're about an hour each and all of this is, as you know, leading up to the fiftieth anniversary of SNL, which they're celebrating next weekend on NBC.
Speaker 1: By the way, my favorite part of Saturday Night Live is Weekend Update NDS down.
Speaker 2: Just the best. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They do such a good job with it, okay, an.
Speaker 3: Amy Era, Yeah, yeah, And everyone has their favorite Weekend Update anchored.
Speaker 1: I love the guys. Now it's Michael Chen and gosh, I can't remember his name right now.
Speaker 2: Colin Joe, Yeah, Colin Joe's Yeah, I love them.
Speaker 1: I love them. And it's not a new movie, but there is something new on your Netflix menu.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it is pun intended, well done. The menu is the name of the movie.
Speaker 3: It's Ray Fines and he plays like this like the world's greatest chef. And Amya Taylor Joy is a woman who is part of a couple and they get a reservation at this exclusive restaurant and this exclusive location, and once they get there, they sort of realize that things are not as they seem and something a little more sinister is going on and they have to get out of there, but they don't know how. So it's it's a thriller, and it's not new, but it's new to Netflix.
Speaker 2: And so for anyone who may have missed it when it came out a couple of years ago, you know, it's it's.
Speaker 3: A pretty good psychological thriller that's not you know, it's an interesting movie. So if you're looking for something to keep you on the edge of your seat this weekend leading up to the super Bowl or on your sick day on Monday, it's a pretty good movie.
Speaker 1: From Conclave to the Menu. Yeah, of any kallis absolutely and I'm going to say that Will knows of what he speaks a recommendation from last week. I'm still watching it because it's still coming out section or episode by episode. But if you haven't started watching Paradise yet, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: You must crazy crazy, so.
Speaker 1: Good, so good. Yes, le' not say anything more because we're out of time. Just go watch it, will Gans, you can follow I'm at will Gans. That's g a n SS. Thank you so much. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 2: All right, have a great weekend.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I've got so many things on my list to watch. He does a good job recommending stuff. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. Former Vice President Kamala Harris has toured the Pacific Palisades area and met with evacuees and first responders.
Speaker 9: My first time seeing it in person.
Speaker 1: She says, extreme weather events like the deadly fires in La County have become increasingly common.
Speaker 7: We have to have a system that is not only about responding during the crisis and after, but we have to build up the resources to deal with the inevitability of it.
Speaker 1: She says. She toured the destruction left behind by the Palisades fire with La County Supervisor Lindsay Horvath before meeting with the displaced residents at the Westwood Recreation Center. Kanye West is asking President Trump to free.
Speaker 14: Show West posted on x Thursday, writing free Puff in all caps. He later appealed directly to President Trump, posting a request to quote please free my brother Puff.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Michael Kassner says the rap mogul is in jail awaiting trial on federal charges of human trafficking and sex abuse. A large asteroid has been seen in NASA imagery, possibly spiraling toward Earth. Kfi's Brian Schuk says it's the only asteroid with an impact probability above one percent.
Speaker 6: The number changes day by day, but the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory said the object, named twenty twenty four y R four, is on its risk list.
Speaker 1: He says that's because scientists have found a gradual increase in the asteroid's impact probability in the months since they discovered its existence, so we got that to look forward to. This is KFI and kosd HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI. Rain this morning, showers this afternoon. High's in the upper fifties to mid sixties. Cloudy tonight with lows in the forties. Mostly cloudy Tomorrow morning, becoming sunny for the afternoon. Still a chance for showers, maybe even snow in the high Desert. Highs will be in the fifties to low sixties, and then we'll see mostly sunny skies for Super Bowl Sunday. Highs in the low sixties. Another chance for rain, rolls in starting next Tuesday. It's sixty one in Dana Point, fifty nine in Long Beach, fifty four in Lancaster, fifty eight in Whittier. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kono and traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wakeup Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.