Speaker 1: Brian Karen, my good friend. Great to have you here on when you know, you know, unleash the podcast, the continuation of the show, when you know you know. So Look, one of the questions that I asked you at the very end is when you have this weaponization fund and you have the fighting that's going on as it is right now, when you see somebody like Todd Blanche getting grilled by Democrats and some established Republicans, folks like the John Cornings of the Tillises who are desperate to put a fork in this fund, the question I want to ask you is there panic really about the one point eight billion or you think that they're terrified of the precedent that it's going to set. And I said to you in the ending of my show, when you know, you know, if the deal, this is my thought, If the Department of Justice institutionalizes away for citizens to get paid when the government overset steps like what they did to me, doesn't that strip Congress in the Deep State of their ultimate weapon of intimidation? Isn't in the bipartisan backlash just just the swamp protecting its own power to target people.
Speaker 2: Well, I've been targeted my whole life. And I don't know what to tell you there. I don't know. I have to know what the definition of deep state is. And I also don't think that their objection to Todd Blanche is based entirely on this. I think it's a sidebar. If you're asking if the swamp of Washington, d C protects itself, of course it does. It always, it always christ Yeah, I mean that's not I mean, it bothers me that you have a Congress that adjourned at Christmas time without taking up affordable health care for the rest of us while they get free health care for life. It bothers me that members of Congress, members of the executive branch, members of the judicial branch all have paid maternity leave when millions of Americans can't get it. Those things do bother me. The thing that DC does best is protect itself, that is Congress, that is the executive branch, that is the judicial branch. Do they and if you mean by deep state, those actors who are in office, well, yeah, they protect themselves. Todd Blanche has far bigger problems than this particular fund. This particular fund is a function of of d C doing what d C does to your point. But Todd Blanche doing what he did. I mean, I wouldn't want Todd Blanche as my attorney. I'll just say that, if if you were still, if you hadn't been disbarred, i'd hire you.
Speaker 1: But don't you worry, I'll give that license back. You bothers, you know. But here's what bothers me a lot too.
Speaker 2: So how about this.
Speaker 1: How much money has members of Congress used from some slush fund that's out there to payoff NDAs for people who file sexual allegations against It's amazing. I was reading it back the.
Speaker 2: Day, bills for that for the love of God, back in the seventies, the cover up for the Wilbern Mills problem and controversy. And I would say, ask Mitch McConnell, but he's you know, he's on his back babbling like a drunken cicada right now, so we can't ask him. But he he's one of the guys who set up a lot of this stuff. He and by the way, Tip O'Neill helped set up some of this stuff. By the way, every congressman has participated in this right left, middle, down the line. They participate in it to protect their own ass. Once they get in office, they protect themselves versus serving their public. And I wish now we do have something called I know everybody wants to have you know, uh limits, you know, they want to enableations. Well, we have them every two, four and six years. They're called elections. Get your ass off the you know, off your seat of your pants and go vote. But the problem is in this country, we consider fifty sixty percent of voter turnout. That's great, and that's not that's the problem. That the majority can't rule. The majority doesn't vote. What happens is the minority. The minority, the well shelled well a minority that will get out and vote left or right. Are the ones who determine the elections most of the time, the super minorities.
Speaker 1: And that's the people that I'm trying to reach here. And when you know, you know, unleashed, and when you know, you know, the show itself, I know a lot of merlin going on when you know I am no longer you know, you know, I'm no longer using for example, the line that Trump used when he called that series of that individuals the silent majority, I'm using term right well Trump used it. I'm talking about the tired majority. We're all tired of the bullshit that's going on every single day, them using slush funds, and all of a sudden, here, oh my god, this is the biggest problem. And I I'm very in tune with this concept because I fought all the way to the Supreme Court when I was unconstitutionally remanded back to prison because I refused to waive my First Amendment constitutional right. You did an incredible bang up job when you know, providing with the information for the book Revenge.
Speaker 2: But Brian, I've been that fight twice, Michael, tell my listeners, tell my listeners about it. Well, the first time I went to the Supreme Court was a fight over a unfidential source that I had in a murder case back in nineteen eighty nine. So in nineteen ninety I got out of I was in jail four times, the last time for more than a month as we went to the Supreme Court, and the last move by Justice Brennan, he put it before the Supreme Court whether or not I could get out while I pursued the challenge to the Supreme Court, and by a five to four vote, they said, screw you. Rot. So That was my first problem with the Supreme Court. The second one was when we fought Donald Trump for taking away my press pass, and that went to all the way. It was before the Supreme Court, but the superior court, the appeals court, a federal appeals court in DC, had ruled in my favor, and then Trump left office. So you know twice I've been before them over First Amendment issues, and what I find more than anything else is that that the First Amendment should protect everyone's free speech. I disagree with what you say, I will defend to death your right to say it. You can hate me, you cannot act on the hate. That's that is a crime. But if I say, hey, Michael, you're full of shit, and you can say, Brian, you're full of shit, and we can have an argument over that. Now, if you tell me to shut up, you're not violating my First Amendment rights. You're not the government. But when the government sends you back to prison, that is the government interfering. That's the First Amendment issue. When the government tells me I have to give up my sources. By the way, I sat in court the first time I had this fight with a confidential source, and and I'm the guy that I interviewed in prison is sitting next to his ACLU attorney, and there and the ACLU attorney and the prosecutor are telling me that doing my job, that I interrupted them and prevented them from prosecuting the case, and so I had to give up my source. So I'm in court and I look to the ACLU attorney. I said, I I got my information from your defendant, the guy you're defending. I said, don't you have greater access to the defendant than I do? Why don't you ask him? And he said, you don't get to ask the questions in court. And the judge said, normally i'd agree with your counselor, but that's a good question. Why don't you answer it? So, because, by the way, it is a great question.
Speaker 1: But since we're going to see, since we're talking about the First Amendment, I want to just talk a couple of days ago, when Trump made a speech to the country, made a speech to the country regarding China. He made it China, China. He made a speech in regard to our election integrity and what these bad actors China, Russia and North Korea, Iran, etc.
Speaker 2: Are doing.
Speaker 1: First Amendment issue, you had stations like AB, NBC, CBS not airing it, would you turn around and say that there's a problem with that, that they don't want that content out there instead, you know what they were doing. They had their people on their talking heads who were out there already bashing the president on something that they hadn't even heard yet. They didn't even wait for him to finish the speech before they were out there attacking every single thing that he said. Now, you don't have to agree with everything that the guy said, but I think we all acknowledge that these foreign actors are interfering in our system, and I think what Trump is doing is at least exposing what's going on there right now in order to come up with some solution in order just to make it better.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if I agree with all of that, And I'll start with they absolutely have the right to error not to air, and if they don't want to air, there's other places to hear it. There was other places to see it. It certainly wasn't unavailable. It's just they are a private enterprise and they get to determine how they are best going to make their money to interfere them with them and make them air it. That's the problem. That would be a problem. That would be overstrepperous, upstrepperous use of power by the government to make sure that their word gets out. Now, would I have aired it? Well? That that's irrelevant.
Speaker 1: I know it's No, it's not.
Speaker 2: I would be curious you would say it I did get Yeah, of course I probably would. But you know, I don't give a shit that. I'm the guy who you know, people say, well, he's a bad president. I may agree or disagree, but I still want to hear what the son of a bitch has to say. So I don't have a problem with that. If you do, that's fine, it's not a violation. And you can't force them to do it. That I don't have a problem with. I want to see, and I say, have yet to still see anything new that that came out of it. And I take and I take great exception to Donald Trump calling us. I think last night he he said those who've written the worst articles against him are are being paid by China. Now, he and I got into epic fights and have and I've written well, good, bad, and ugly about him. When he's done something well. I've written about that. When he's done something bad, I've written about that. But certainly no one has challenged him more than I have. I you know, I challenged him six weeks before he was before the twenty twenty election. Would he accept, you know, a peaceful transfer of power? So I don't I find that onerous to say that. I can state for the record Michael that out of all the faults I have, I have never accepted a dime from China so well.
Speaker 1: And I would like to acknowledge that you have many faults.
Speaker 2: But I had that I do, and so do you, my brother.
Speaker 1: No, No, I think I have one or two less than you. But he wasn't counting out.
Speaker 2: You. Try to spend too much time.
Speaker 1: With you when we were digging up all that information on those foy of files and everything on the weaponization. But he's neither. Yeah, that's for sure, Brian. He was not.
Speaker 2: Talking to you.
Speaker 1: You were not the journalist, believe it or not that you think Trump will wrestling one journalist.
Speaker 2: He said, those journalists, that's what those journalists, And he wasn't referencing you. He doesn't have a problem with people criticizing him.
Speaker 1: And then writing and you tell.
Speaker 2: Him I would love to sit down and interview him. I'd be happy to do it anytime he wants.
Speaker 1: Well, after I get my first visit over there to the White House, I'm going to tell him, Brian karm wants to come and sit down to you.
Speaker 2: And you know what, JA wants to talk to you. He wants to comfort and sit down.
Speaker 1: I have no intention of ever speaking to that loser.
Speaker 2: He's a stone called loser, right, I tell him nothing trouble. I still go back to the day he winked at me and I asked him, I said, are we dating?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: What the hell is he?
Speaker 1: He would sit down and he would engage you in com The difference between you and the people he was referencing is that no matter what he does, they will never give him credit for anything. You at the very beginning turn and said, listen, where I agree with him, I will give him praise. Where I disagree, I will.
Speaker 2: Criticize any politician, but I'll give him credit.
Speaker 1: Okay, you'll give him credit. And where you disagree, all right, you will. You will disagree and criticize. That's fair, that's fair. But what about the groups of individuals? Fair asshole. I appreciate that. No, just just an asshole. But I can live with that. It's amazing how you had, how you have such a good son so on, and you know, he's such a good kid. I really like he's such a nice you know, he and his wife suffice it. By the way, congratulations on the birth of the grandchild, third one, marvelous.
Speaker 2: So but I'm the pointing how did I come up with grandchildren? That's what I want to know. Go ahead, no clue.
Speaker 1: But the part that I'm trying to bring to the table here is criticism is fair. Criticism is good. I myself, whether it's on this show or any other show, I will never turn around and say I agree with somebody one hundred percent of the time. If you do, you are in a cult. I am not in a cult. I believe where he is doing right, he should be praised, it should be acknowledged.
Speaker 2: And better luck with that if he'd quit telling us that we were all fake media and we're the fault of and we're the problem his My biggest criticism of Donald Trump remains that he is bitter about certain things and brittle about criticism, and if he were to just you know even and I had I Look, I'm not saying this just of him. I've said this of and I will state for the record, I've covered every president since Ronald Reagan. I've managed to piss off every press secretary and every president I've ever covered. So I am when you pissed me off.
Speaker 1: When you pissed me off when I was trying to get the information.
Speaker 2: Sent people off. I don't know that's my superpower.
Speaker 1: It sure is, you off, But that's you should join the Avengers. All of these international all of these all of these intergalactic uh you know, nightmares and so on.
Speaker 2: Heres them off.
Speaker 1: Pissed me off. I'm going back to my galaxy.
Speaker 2: That's it. So I can piss them off. But the thing with the President of the United States is he needs to realize that. And he's not the first president I've had this criticism of. I think he's more streperous and louder about his criticism of the press than others. I've had this problem with other presidents. But this is how a democracy. Democracy is supposed to work. It is their job to put as I was taught by Sam Donaldson the very first there were two lessons I learned my first day in the White House. One was from Helen Thomas. And the reason why I call my podcast just asked the question is because she told me, Brian, your job in here is to just ask the question. It doesn't matter what the answer is, it doesn't matter if they answer it. Your job is to ask that question and put that concern on the record. Now, a lot of the best press secretaries in the best administrations understand that the questions that we bring to them can help them, can help better their administration. And it was Mike McCurry said, Brian, we changed policies based on some of the questions you brought in. The second person I met with Sam Donaldson, he said, listen, their job is to put their best foot forward. Our job is to hold them accountable. I remained dedicated to that. It was beIN Bag Dickie and who said, your job when you walk in to cover the White House is not to appease the president. It's not to appease your editors, it's not to appease your friends, it's not to better your career. Your responsibility is to the public. And so I've tried to remain steady with that. My entire career because I believe in those ideals. I know that most Barack Obama tried to ban Fox News and guess what, we all banned together in the White House at that time and said, no, they have a right to be there, and they backed off. The problem with this administration is that they don't respect that, and that they go after us individually and company wide for the very same things that we've done with every other president. And as I told his first press secretary, she said she accused us of fake news. I said, listen, man, they can turn the channel over, they can turn us off, they can put down the newspaper, but we've got you for forty years, so you need to answer our questions. That, to me, is is where I draw the line. I don't give a ship what you have to say. Just don't tell me I'm full of shit and rude for asking you the question, and we'll get along just famously. After after work we can go have a drink together if you want, you can cuss me out and call me, you know, just call me anything. Just don't call me late for dinner. But understand that I've got to be there to do the job. That's the job, and it's the for the betterment of our democracy that we do it. Now, do some reporters take it personally? Yes? Are some reporters ignorant without a doubt. That's we have problems in the in the fourth of State, huge problems, and that's because too few companies own the means of publication and they don't give a shit about the ideals. They care about making money. That's all they care about.
Speaker 1: And by making money, what they do is they decide that they're going to go and to play to only one side of them. So every time that's a specific, a specific right in there on the bucko chamber and right, people.
Speaker 2: Don't think critically, and they get and they they hear what they want to hear, and it's their reverbs in that echo chamber and they go see MSB Right, I heard it there, I heard it there, I heard it there, So yeah, you're right there, you know.
Speaker 1: Like for example, just even take like what took place in Iran during the bombing where that girls school was hit. There's one specific reporter I forget his name. Every single time he gets called it's the same thing. Did you intentionally strike a building killing over one hundred young females, young girls who are attending school, and so there comes a point in time where you're not providing a benefit, you're not providing a service, you're not providing truth.
Speaker 2: That's a great issue to break down the problems on both sides. First of all, that's this wrong question to ask. To ask it is the question to ask that I would ask. Is the Pentagon our sources and the Pentagon independent h You know, investigators have said, look, this was obviously a mistake. It was a targeting error brought about by aging, by an aging computer who had old target data and that used to be a legitimate target. Why so, that's how you should ask that question. We understand has it? My question is have you upgraded the software since then so that doesn't happen?
Speaker 1: Well, by the way, that's not necessarily on accurity from then, I understand. But that's but the one thing that we also know, Brian, is that the IRGC they placed themselves in locations in order to prevent these type of attacks by putting themselves right next to hospitals, right next to schools in case.
Speaker 2: But I don't think that was the problem in this case. This case, it was a legitimate it was just look, man, it's a sad situation. Yes, it is bad situation, and innocent people died. But here's the thing that no politician ever seems to under stand. And this goes back to Nixon. What if Nixon had just said, when they invade, you know, when they rated water, he goes, yeah, we fucked up. That shouldn't have happened. Then then I it was the cover up that caused the problem in this case. If they had just said, we you know, you might be right, it could be a targeting error. And so we're gonna here, We're gonna look at it and make sure it doesn't happen again.
Speaker 1: You may be right, you.
Speaker 2: May be crazy. It just may be a lunatic you're looking for. But but that's that's these things get the way they get because backs are up on both sides. Now I'm not I'm not a diplomat, No.
Speaker 1: Diplomat.
Speaker 2: I'm hardly a diplomat.
Speaker 1: What has two thumbs? What has two thumbs? And is not a diplomat? This guy, now.
Speaker 2: You're what was the Dick van Dyke episode. Never lose your sense of humor or your thumbs. So so I this is a problem. But The greater problem for the public is when politicians won't admit that they could in any way be responsible for the bad things. So my advice to and this is, look, man, I'm running into this because there are younger people working on campaign staffs and are running. One of the biggest things that politicians do that's wrong, that works against their best interest is hiring people on the press staff who have absolutely no experience. The senior members of your cabinet, the senior members of your and this is for a president, for a VP, for a congressman. I could talk to you about a center race in Texas where I've seen this. You're some of your senior people that help you out should be people who have experience in the press, because those people can advise you better how to communicate. Communication is usually the last thing they worry about. They're worrying about getting the money, they're worried about getting someone who can give them advice on how to address issues policy, but they always leave communication last. And that, to me, Michael, is the biggest problem in politics. Get some people who know what the fuck they're doing to talk to other people so they can sit there and talk to their to the president, or to the Vice president, or to the congressman, or to the city council and say, look, this is how it's going to play. You need to grow up, put your big boy pants on and go out there. Do you realize how people are sore and aching for it on both sides of the aisle for people to just say, look, I'm a politician, fucked up. I mean, go back to what was an animal house. Hey, you fucked up. You trusted us, but maybe we can make it better.
Speaker 1: Brian Karen white House correspond to Bryant. Appreciate you join me on when you know you know unleashed. Appreciate my I will have you back, especially onto the show. Appreciate you again, and I'll see you very very soon.
Speaker 2: Hey Michael, it's always a pleasure, even if I don't even if I disagree with you, you know I love you
Speaker 1: So game men to that vice versa, I'll see you soon, pal,