Speaker 1: Quick update on the topic that everybody's talking.
Speaker 2: About there on the show.
Speaker 1: The Boy Scouts have changed their name to Scouting America.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they're no longer.
Speaker 1: The Boy Scouts, but they are around and it's Scouting America.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, I think everything's good.
Speaker 1: Then I guess, right, I guess, But you know, inquiry in minds want to know Scott Mitchell on a Tuesday afternoon, Scott, did you grow up in Boy Scouts?
Speaker 2: That Are you an Eagle Scout?
Speaker 3: I am an Eagle Scout. I actually have done public service announcements in the past for the Boy Scouts. If you actually type in Google search Scott Mitchell Boy Scouts, you'll see an amazing commercial back when I was playing for the Detroit Lines.
Speaker 2: Please, it's a.
Speaker 3: Travesty actually to hear what you just said. Scouting was an amazing part of my life and I absolutely loved it, and it's not what it used to be.
Speaker 2: I didn't know any of that. Porter.
Speaker 1: All I want you to do is get the sound from Scott Mitchell's Boy Scout commercial before the end of the interview.
Speaker 2: Let's see if you can fire that out.
Speaker 3: So you better be careful, Spence, because you'll be in tears. It's an emotional, powerful message.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to hear it. Look, I need to be motivated in the new year, Scott. I'm just looking for somebody to motivate me. If that's you talking about boy Scouts, I have no judgment.
Speaker 2: That's fine with me.
Speaker 3: Oh, I could motivate you, Spence, give me, give me ten minutes. I'll have you run into a brick wall.
Speaker 1: I need it, I want it. Have you been traveling during the holidays. Where you've been it's been a.
Speaker 3: While, Yeah, I've been. I've been everywhere. Man. I actually was went to the German Christmas markets. I was in Florida. Where else I don't know. Just pick a place I've probably been there.
Speaker 1: Boy, Well, happy New Year, even though Larry David said, I'm not allowed to say that after you know, January of the fourth, I haven't talked to you and quite some time, so I want to welcome you in and say Happy New Year. Do you have any exciting New Year's resolutions? You want to motivate with us? You motivate us away without.
Speaker 3: You know. I'll tell you the best advice that I can give a person, and that is uh see the end of twenty twenty five and who you want to be and where you want to be. Uh and just see the vision of that and that should push you through the whole year. You got to start with a vision, you know, that's that's the biggest thing. And uh and and the vision will actually push you know, the tasks you know, so like uh, you know, if you want to be healthy, it's like, well, I got to lose weight. And so you've got to see yourself as that like person now. And without that vision, there's you have no hope. You gotta it's got to you got to have a clear vision of goal and you have to see yourself there already.
Speaker 1: Well said, no, I love it. I'm I'm ready, I'm ready to roll. I've been needing this in the new year. What what does your vision say Utah football will look like come fall?
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's kind of sad because I don't I don't think this team was really that far off. And uh, it just you know, really not having a veteran quarterback hurt the team a lot. The defense played quite quite well, and there really wasn't a team on Utah schedule or in the conference that you go. I mean that's a world beater, you know that. I mean, who would have thought Arizona State would have would have represented the conference in the playoffs. I don't think anybody did, including Arizona State. I don't think they believe. I mean, it probably just went through the year and it just kind of unfolded. But so so you don't have to panic. You know, you're not that far out of it. And I think the one thing that UCA has done different from years past, and it's something that the prib have to do moving forward is get into the portal and and get get in the nil game. And you can see other teams have had huge turnarounds from this. You know, they they did a pretty good job of not losing too many guys because there are a lot of their guys. There are people people are going after, you know, Spencer Fono and some of those other offensive linemen. Uh, you know, Keanu tuon Vosta was a loss. Cam Calhoun was a loss. But for the most part, you know, get a pretty good job. And so if Utah can be a little bit more explosive on offense, you know, okay, a lot more explosive on offense, They're gonna be right in it again next year. And what's going to be different is the formula for Utah was find these guys that fit our program, fit our profile, and we'll develop them. And they've done a tremendous job, probably the best in all of college football. But they don't get that luxury anymore. Those guys that they've kind of been mentoring and developing, those are all the guys that left. All the backups left, and so you've got to be able to have systems plug and play pretty simple. You're not going to be able to kind of create that building culture that you have in the past. But teams have prove I mean, Arizona State's a great example. You know, you get the right combination of players in the transfer portal, you're going to do well. Even Colorado, who was a doormat and it's entire existence in the Pac twelve, turned it around in a lot. You know, Okay, Dion's one thing, but they went heavy into the transfer portal and it just gives you a chance to really find talent. You got to create the right chemistry with the talent you find, but you can turn around quickly some.
Speaker 1: Good stuff in there and actually a couple of things about the question I was going to follow up with, and that is, and there are a lot of programs like this. I was doing some I was doing the impossible task this morning of trying to figure out what the Big twelve will look like next year. And I was digging into some Ky State stuff. And you know, Utah football and Kansas State football in a way, scott are very similar because they are recruit and develop and the success in the past where both of these programs have come with second, third, fourth year players, these are not programs that turn things around one year at a time with transfer portal additions, because both their coaches believing the same thing.
Speaker 2: So, if I'm understanding directly.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's time to look at a different approach because maybe the old school recruit develop, win with your two, three, four guys is no longer a reality.
Speaker 3: Well you have to and and and you know that if you're a Utah fanan you probably should be excited about what's happened. That the roster next year I think is going to be like fifty three percent new players, more than they've ever ever had. And so you know, Utah is just not sitting on its you know, hands and digging, you know, digging, you know, a line in the sand and saying no, we're gonna you know, they're going, Okay, understand the game, and we're going to play the game, and we're at least going to give ourselves a shot. As far as the conference next year, I don't know that it's going to change. I don't know that it's ever changed. I mean, the Big Twelve is always a crap shoot. And you know, I think your smart move is whoever they pick not to win, that's who you want to write, right exactly, that's the team that's gonna do well. But what you have is you have a lot of programs that are trying. And I like that and I appreciate that, you know, Texas Tech went out and got aggressed, and you see Arizona State really you know, trying to turn a corner. And and so there's a lot of competition in the conference. And I think the Big Twelve was massively underrated a year ago, and I think they'll continue to, uh, you know, get a little bit more more love with what's going on. But I think Utah's put itself in a position to do well. You know, I was saying about this today and it's kind of the question, but it's it's a little off topic. You know, they everyone's worried about the playoffs. You know they get the formula right, do they? Do? You know? Should they? Is there too much rust? Is there? You know? They pick these teams and they have these blowouts and you I don't think I don't think you should change it at all. And where where you're going to have to change it is these conferences are so big. Now Utah, there's gonna be four teams in the conference next year, Utah is not gonna play and and they may be good teams, so they be bad teams. So you just get the luck of the draw every year? Are you do you get the good teams you're gonna have to play or the bad teams? Because you take a team like Indiana and it's the same in the Big Ten, it's the same in all the conferences because they're so big. So Indiana probably played a bunch of garbage teams all year. Maybe they weren't really that good and and uh, you know they've kind of just got the right draw for the better schedule and that helped them out. If you really want to fix it. You know, have all these teams they they all have to play each other in their conferences, or you don't start ranking teams until maybe when the when the actual college football playoff ranking comes out, because it's a huge advantage if you get ranked high early and you have a crappy schedule like an Old Miss. You know, I don't know how good Old Miss was, but man, they were sure ranked high, and they rode that ranking through most of the season, even though they really didn't play anyone all year, and some of the teams that were supposed to be good, like the Alabamas, weren't. So it's a little misleading to have these subjective preseason or early season polls, especially in these conferences where everyone doesn't play everyone all the time. And if you wait, you're going to have a better idea of who the really good teams in the country are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean for sure, I've been using this line on the show the past couple of weeks because I'm just realizing really how new all of this is for anybody in the ecosystem of college sports, whether you cover it and talk about it like you and I, or you're coaching at it. Let coach wait, or you're playing in it, or you're an administrator like Mark Carlin, We're all experiencing this for the first time, and because of that, it makes it really hard to predict what it's going to look like even tomorrow, let alone in a few months. So I keep saying like I prefer to diagnose instead of prognosi sticate about what could be because it's impossible to tell.
Speaker 2: But when it comes to how Utah.
Speaker 1: Is, to your point, completely changing over the roster in one year, this is another new thing where we'll have to diagnose instead of prognosticate. But forty one new faces for a program, as we've already talked about, that's found its way through the world of college football with the ability to recruit and develop, recruit players that aren't as highly thought of elsewhere and make them the best possible players that they can be. So what's a realistic expectation to be able to change over fifty three percent of your roster, bring in forty one new players and then have an expedited timeframe to do the development because they've got to be ready to go Game one in the fall.
Speaker 3: You know, it really falls so much on coaching and coaching and that you've got to bring in new players. You've got to have your systems that really are kind of a plug and play. It's hard too, because you go, you know, well, I hope this guy fits what we do and and you know, so recruiting to what your system is. I think that's part of what was appealing with Jason Beck and bringing the quarterback from you know, the Devin Dampier because he knows the system, you know. So that transition I think really helps with with a new coach and and with the with the new style of how how everything goes. Because the quarterback really is the guy that drives all of it. And if you get a quarterback that can make plays for you and do well, you're going to have a shot. And that that's the biggest key. Like it's it's not even close to the impact the quarterback has on a game versus any other position on the field. It's not like, you know, the same as it's it's significantly higher the kind of impact the quarterback has. So it's all about coaching and getting that right quarterback. And I think Utah's headed in that right direction, and then that system really has to be and I hate to use the word dumb down, but it has to be one where you know you can pick it up relatively quick. Is that the players don't have that many practices. They don't have that much time, uh to to actually work on You know, the NFL have OTAs. They spend a whole season in the off season learning and perfecting. And you hear these teams that do well and they'll tell you that the OTAs or what makes their season, what makes them successful. Maybe that's one of the changes that has to happen from this is like, all r if you're gonna give you all these new players every year, we got to have more time with them. And that's hard too, because all these coaches are out recruiting, so it's it's a real burden on a team. But the statty teams will be the ones that find that right quarterback in the system to really give you at least a chance.
Speaker 2: You know, all right, let's see here.
Speaker 1: I want to move over and do some NFL Scott before we because because actually know what, I had one more Utah question for you, because I realized when I saw you on the rundown today I have not interviewed you since the news broke that Kyle is coming back, the coach, wo is coming back for year twenty one, and it was one of those things that we had all debated all year long, and one of the things we would debate is whether or not the outcome of the season would have any bearing on what Kyle decided to do. And part of me believe the answer to that was no, because the man does not.
Speaker 2: Need to prove anything to anybody.
Speaker 1: His resume speaks for itself, and what he's done for your top football speaks for itself. Now, there does appear to be a faction, whether you want to call it the vocal minority as opposed to the sylum majority. I don't have a percentage on it, but I have heard from people and have talked to people that believe it's time now to implement this succession plan and it's Morgan's time to go.
Speaker 2: I can't speak to it.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I'll diagnose, I'm not prognosticate, but I haven't talked to you since Kyle decided to come back. Were you surprised? What was your reaction when you heard the news.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I was surprised completely, you know, you try to gauge people's answers or their mode, or their their temperament, you know, because because we interviewed him every week and and talk to him and and uh, you know, you're trying to read are you just worn down because this has been such a crappy season or you just kind of worn down because Zilver? And I didn't really sense from him like he didn't have that fire or that competitiveness, or or that he was like, you know, I'm kind of done. And I think that was I don't, you know, I don't even think maybe this would be the last year for him. I just I just don't. I still think there's scass in the tank. I still think there's fire in the tank. I think he's reading right what is going on with college football and where the program needs to go and what they have to do and and it and it feels like they're making that attempt to do it because you never know how things will turn out. But but at least they're they're reading the room right, and they're they're making they're making those right moves and and I just get a sense that it's it's not about well, I want to end on a good note, it's man, I slow coaching and I want to win, and I'm just still there and that's where I think, that's where I think he.
Speaker 2: Is, all right.
Speaker 1: I was excited when I saw that you were going to be on today because I had to kick the tires with you, you know, watching that Sunday night Lions Vikings game and this wasn't even a playoff game. Okay, like it was a regular season game, but to watch and listen to some of the scenes around Ford Field, it felt like it was a super Bowl for that fan base, and it potentially was the biggest football game held in that city in a number of decades. And we know the deal. You know, they they have never won the big thing. They've never they've never won the big They've never been to the super Bowl. Of course, they've never won the Super Bowl. And I just needed to know because your best years as a pro they were in Detroit, and you had a love hate relationship with the fan base. I think that's fair to say, but you have a unique perspective on the city of Detroit, the football fans of Detroit. What would it mean to them if Dan Campbell can traverse his way through the playoffs and actually win this thing.
Speaker 2: What would that city do.
Speaker 3: The city would petition in the NFL to be to change the Lombardi Trophy to the Dan Campbell Trophy. He has literally done a masterful job of mirroring and matching and engaging the fan base. And it's this blue collar mindset, and it's you know, look, we don't you know, we're just we're really three yards in a cloud of dust kind of thing. We're tough, we're gritty, we're all these things. And I think what really helped Dan Campbell understand that as he played there, he played for the Lions, and he didn't play on some teams that were any good. But he's just done a masterful job of getting the city in the community to buy into him and his players. And he's got some great coaches around him, and they picked the right players who've done really well, and they've really done a great job of kind of fitting what they do into the player's strengths, especially Jared Goff, and he's just been like, I'll tell you, if there's anything that gives you any indication of how great Dan Campbell has done, is they they are actually channing for and cheering Jared Goff and that never, I don't care who the quarterback is, that never happens in Detroit, and so that city, like literally it would be the most insane change or or celebration, or you know, it could it could literally you might have to bring in the military to calm that place down. Some of the most passionate, rabid, amazing fans and they've been there. I've been back to games since I retired, and they have alumni times or you know, you go back and visit and the team's terrible and the place is packed. There's a there's a a badge of honor, and there's this a massive love for the Detroit Lions from Detroit Lions fan. I meet them everywhere, I mean everywhere in the country. It's like, oh yeah, I'm a Lions fan. You know I live, you know whatever, and uh uh, And you know what, honestly, I wouldn't. I would be so happy for those people. If there's ever there's ever a fan and a fan base that deserves to win a Super Bowl, it's the people into they literally need to have the support and everyone in the country pulling for the Detroit Lions to win a Super Bowl Vegas.
Speaker 1: The up to date Vegas odds out of the FanDuel Sports book. As Detroit is the favorite currently heading into the Wildcard weekend, Kansas City is two, Baltimore's three, Buffalo's four, and Philly is five, then there's a massive drop off Vegas essentially saying there are five teams they think can win it, so Vegas thinks they're the favorite.
Speaker 2: DoD Scott Mitchell agree.
Speaker 3: Well, you mentioned the craziness of the atmosphere and to have that home field advantage all the way through the Super Bowl. They really play into it and they feed on that that hometown. It's a real thing. And I'm telling you, there's there's nothing more electric than a really fired up Detroit Lion fan base at a home game. It's it's as good as it gets anywhere in any sports, at college or pros. And and to have that and for this team to you know, they've had a lot of injuries on on their defense and to still be playing well and and the quarterback has just been magnificent and he's got weapons. You know, this is this is a team that's capable. But they're capable in their brains too. You know, they they they've been to a championship game and they bounced back from that this year. Teams that kind of have the fatigue and they have a let down from not getting to the Super Bowl or or losing the Super Bowl. You can'd of see that with San Francisco right now. But this team isn't It's on the rise. It's belief level is as good as it gets. You know, Kansas City probably isn't as good as they've been in the past, but they understand how to win and the Lions have figured that out as well. And the beauty of it would be to have to call it fourth down play in the Super Bowl and they pull out the win on going for it on fourth down. That would just be the absolute irony of all ironies, just because of the riverboat gambler type of mindset that Dan Campbell has.
Speaker 1: What about Baltimore Scott, I mean, it seems like Lamar takes a lot of criticism for not being able to get it done, and he's just he's so fun to watch and he's one of the most electric, dynamic players in pro football. What's fair to say about what he's failed to do in the postseason? And do you think it could be different this time around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a really special player because you know, he's he's learned to do both things very well and it's almost indefensible. You know, he can throw the football very accurately and on time and he and he's got a real comfort level with it. His ability, his mechanics have gotten cleaner, so so under pressure, you know, he can still make the throws and he's just just unbelievable running the football. Their team. If if I was in all the football and I was in in the AFC or the NFC, that would be the team I'd be really afraid of the other one's buffalo. I mean, Josh Allen's playing great this year too, But Lamar Jackson is a very very special player. And when you have that man, it's so hard to defend and and it's so hard to figure out. And he's proven that, you know, consistently throughout the years. But he kind of has to get to that next level of winning that really big game in the playoffs and and it just takes time. You know, Pete Manning lost five years straight in his first five playoffs season. It's hard, Like it's hard to win in the NFL. Period. It's really hard to win in the playoffs and it takes a lot and sometimes it takes a lot of time. Now, I played with Dan Marino, who's he's just the best ever, Like nobody throws a ball like Dan Marino, unbelievable. And he went to one Super Bowl and it was early on in his career and he never went back again. So, you know, great players can can have challenges winning in the postseason.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: Before I say you lose, can anyone get in Ohio State's way? Does it feel like they're going to march on and win the national championship?
Speaker 3: It kind of feels that way a little bit, But you know, you're I mean, I know people are kind of disappointed with the college football playoffs, but man, the bowl games were meaningful, you know. And now you have Ohio State and Texas and you have Penn State and Notre Dame. I mean, that's that's some pretty good, you know, semifinal games. I don't know how good either Penn State or Notre Dame. I don't know how good Texas is. You know, they seem to find ways to win really good defensively. But Ohio State it seems to be kind of their year.
Speaker 1: All right, Scott, we have a very special treat before we hang up the phone. And for our listeners out there, we've had a kind of a loose show where Tim mcbahn referenced the Boy Scouts earlier, so we've been asking our listeners their level of Scouts. Scott is a proud of Eagle Scout, and once upon a time he voiced this emotional spot for the Boy Scouts.
Speaker 4: What's it take to be a pro quarterback in the NFL. It takes pepper, it takes determination, it's practice team after practice is over. And for Scott Mitchell, it takes one really brave mascot, Scott Mitchell proving just how deep, termined and Eagle Scout he can be.
Speaker 2: Oh was that it?
Speaker 1: We didn't hear from Scott. I thought Scott was tell like an emotional story. No, Scott is for the non YouTube listeners, pelting the Detroit Lions mascot with fastballs.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, it's a video, right, and it's it's actually uh, it's me. It's me throwing after practice. I'm sweating and I'm working hard, and I keep throwing all these pasts. Is the only one who will catch them with the mascot because everyone went home.
Speaker 1: So I see, I see well, Scott, congrats on the Eagle Scouts Man Eagle Scout Award.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the time. Let's do it you in soon, Okay, you got it?
Speaker 3: Thank you all right?
Speaker 1: Scott Mitchell, former ute quarterback, played in the NFL for a number of years. Yeah, I wanted to get his take on what that's going to be like. Can Detroit get this done?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Ultimately, Detroit has been installed as the favorite to win the Super Bowl. This is this is new. The odds are out now ride a wild card weekend. Detroit right now is your favorite, followed by Kansas City, Baltimore, Buffalo, and in Philly and then there's a massive drop off between Philly and Minnesota. The vikings are at plus fourteen hundred. Essentially, Vegas is telling you five teams can win it. Detroit, Kansas City, Baltimore, Buffalo, and Philly. So interesting stuff there. Appreciate Scott's time,