Speaker 1: You're listening to Everything out There with your host Steve Stockton.
Speaker 2: Hello friends, Steve Stockton here with you, welcome to everything out there and joining me tonight on the phone. It's Jared King from Jared King TV. Great YouTube channel. Tells a lot of Appalachian stories over there. He's gonna favor us with some tonight. Jared. How you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm doing pretty good, brother. How you making it?
Speaker 2: I'm making it great. Thanks for joining us on here. Right after Halloween. Still spooky season for me, though it's that way all year round.
Speaker 1: Oh brother, I know the failing. I like that spooky side of it.
Speaker 2: They're in Appalachia, Southern Appalachia. It's full of it. As Mike, Granny used to say, there's a hate never holler.
Speaker 1: Boys. She sure wos rid on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She grew up in the Cage Cove area and she said mountains, it's beautiful and stuff up in there. But I said, don't let it catch you out after dark. And that's when she's added, there's a hate never holler. But I believe it. There's all kinds of stories down There's so many legends and spooky stuff, and not only that, superstitions and omens and warnings and portant. She was a nowadays they call her a granny witch. But uh she told fortunes, red tea leaves, coffee grounds, all that kind of stuff. But uh, oh man, Uh thankful that I have that side. Uh have that kind of upbringing on that side. It's you know, that was my normal. I didn't know any better, right, So tell us a little bit about yourself and what all you've got going on.
Speaker 1: Uh. Well, like you said, I'm Jerry King TV. And uh, I just I've always loved I mean ever since I was a little o'be fail, you know, in the mountains. I grew up in the hills of Tennessee, and I grew up up in an old cabin, you know, when I grew up around my grandparents and you know, theird friends and cousins and things like that. And I was usually the odd child out there, you know, I was you know, I was that young, and everybody kind of wondered about it because I was the one. Instead of wanting to play, you know, I set around the list of folks tell old stories exactly.
Speaker 2: And you and I are cut from the same class.
Speaker 1: Brother, absolutely, man. And you know, and I absorbed these stories, you know, and I loved them. I couldn't get enough of them, you know. And then when I started YouTube, you know, I done a little bit of this a little lad tried a little bit of ghost hunting. That didn't work out for me, and turned out I was too scared. I'm a brave feiller, but my feet don't know it, you know. And so I got into the storytelling stuff, you know. And that's what everybody told me, said, you know, that's that's what you're supposed to do. Stick with that. And I've been doing it ever since.
Speaker 2: And it looks like it's working out for you. Last time I looked you had I was a thirteen point five k subs over there. Yeah, yeah, I hopefully we'll get you some more over there tonight. I started out doing the spooky stuff and the scary stuff too. I had thirteen past midnight and I just recently passed thirteen thousand over there. But I kind of fell into this missing person thing backwards. I'd always had an interest in it from early childhood. When Dennis Martin went missing. That happened. I was living in Knoxville at the time, same town as Dennis, and I remember that being big news, and I went out and looked for him on the little country road that we lived on. I'm thinking, well, we don't live that far from the Smokies, but it was, you know, close if you were driving. But got out there on my little swinsting right and looked around for him and been looking ever since.
Speaker 1: You never know, you know.
Speaker 2: But I'd done some videos over there about people that had gone missing in the Smokies and that just really took off and ended up doing some other things, and then ended up with my own channel now doing that sort of thing and probably gonna hit one hundred thousand subs right around Thanksgiving or so so and my response has been great. Course I've been with another channel, built over a quarter million over there, and then had a falling out with my business partner, so I started my own channel in I think I started this, I want to say February or March. So I'm doing pretty good to hit one hundred k in just a few months there. So I love what I do. I love the storytelling. I love pondering about those missing people and things, but still love those Appalachian stories. I've got a video over there, creepy tales and legends. Yeah, I remember that along the Appalachian Trail or near it. Now you're if I remember research working you're in Goodlssville, Is that right?
Speaker 1: McMinnville, Mcmanville.
Speaker 2: Okay, my geography is where is that in regards to Nashville.
Speaker 1: It's about about an hour and a half south of Nashville.
Speaker 2: Okay, she's down close to what is down there Mississippi Arkansas, very close to the border there on the southern part.
Speaker 1: Well, like I said, it's uh, it's kind of Middle Tennessee on the eastern side, just right on the Appalachian edge there. Yeah, everything that's probably maybe maybe three four counties away from the you know, Georgia Alabama line area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's beautiful down in there. No, I love. I grew up in East Tennessee, born and raised there, but my dad came from Middle Tennessee over on the Cumberland Plateau, the plateau they used to call it over on the Cumberland Plateau. He was in h. Finches County, right outside Jamestown. It used to be called ben Stockton, Tennessee. But Jamestown and Exton. But a lot of a lot of stories. I mean, that's that's some hard scrabble Appalachia over there. They didn't have run of water, had out houses and stuff, didn't have electricity until they but you know, those people made it. They were resourceful. They knew how to farm and how to hunt and fish.
Speaker 1: And oh yeah, you know a lot of folks said that, you know, they was just poor, you know, just lazy people. And I said, now, you know the Appalachian people, you know was you know, they was strong ingenuity, you know, just pioneersh people. You know, you know, they come in, you know, from all around the world, you know, different you know, origins and stuff. Everything, subtled the in, cleared the land and worked the fields and the mountains and everything else and made it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had to. I mean there wasn't wasn't much else you could do. They survived, you know, the wars and the Great Depression and oh yeah, a disease and famine and all kinds of things, and just they're resilient. Hillbilities are resilient and resourceful. I love being called a hillbilly. That doesn't be at all new.
Speaker 1: I take that and pride.
Speaker 2: Yep. So a lot of curiosity these stories that you tell is that stuff you heard growing up or where do you come across what stories at?
Speaker 1: A lot of them is. And like I said, from the time I, like I said, old enough to sit around and listen to them old stories. You know, I'd sit around and listen to them. And sometimes, you know, I'll forget a story and something will happen that will remind me of one. You know, I'll tell it, you know. So you know there's a ton of them that's from mine, you know. But as I got going along, you know, uh, somebody shared one of their experiences with me once, and like I said, I love the Appalachian stories and the you know, I love the spooky side of the mystery side of it too, you know. But like I said, I love just the good old days stories about that too, you know, just the history, you know, how people survive, you know, like you was talking earlier with the you know, through the Great Depression. You know, folks wouldn't live, you know, back then, they woudn't have made it if they hadn't it dependent on one another, you know. And I just loved all them stories. And somebody shared a story with me, and I got to think, and you know, well, it's not just my aplash in history. It's everybody's in the Appolasian Mountains and stuff. So I started telling people, you know, if you'd like to submit a story, send it to me, and man, it exploded. I said, I some of them's my stories. And I said a lot of them submitted stories and it's just I said, it's just amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. That. That was the way my first book came about Strange Things in the woods. That was stories that I collected from family and friends and friends of family, and a lot of those people about nine nine percent of people in that book that I got those stories from, they've passed on. But you know a lot of that it's just if I didn't tell it, it wouldn't get told, That's right. I kind of took that mantle on myself and thought, you know, I'm not going to let these stories die out because a lot of people there their home, kids, their wives and stuff, they didn't know, didn't care about any of that. And I've had people tell me stories and have their wife sitting there and say, you never told me about that, and that's you know, that's just a wonderful thing. And I've got a lot more that was just I picked the thing for the book, and it was stuff in the woods. Not all of them are scary. Some of them scare the pants off of you. But some of them are poignant, some of them are funny, and some of them are just downright sad. But there's some scary stuff in there too. But I've got enough I could do other volumes, strange things in the sky, strange things in the water, strange things in the barn.
Speaker 1: You know, like you said, there's just so much about it, and that's you know, that's one thing I loved about the history is there's no shortage of stories of any kind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And I love going into those different little communities and stuff. And like you said, there's a real sense of belonging there, especially in Appalachia, some of those little hollers and stuff. If you don't belong there, they'll let you know that you have no business here. But the people there, they do. They look out for one another. There's just a real sense of belonging there, a sense of community, and then they help one another out. But I've lived several different places in Tennessee, and I lived way up in the tip of extreme northeastern Tennessee, little place called Mountain City, and a lot of history up there, a lot of creepy stuff. Fiddler's Rock. I don't know if you've ever heard that story or not, about the old man that used to sit out there and play the fiddle and charmed the rattlesnakes and then got bit to death. And you can still hear him playing up there. I think that's upon Roan Mountain or in that area. Another guy that I knew up there, he offered to take me to a cave upon Roan Mountain where he said there was a spider as big as a house cat. And he's talking about the body of the spider was as big as that ain't even counting the legs. And I thought pass on that one. I thought, I don't like spiders, don't want one that big. But he said in that cave where that spider was right is right at the mouth of it. He said there was like chipmunks and squirrels and stuff like that in there that it had cocooned up to eat. So that's frightening that there might be a spider that big run around anywhere, especially in the hills of East Tennessee. I think I.
Speaker 1: Believe it's something in the spraying water makes maybe.
Speaker 2: Maybe some of that moonshine that they make down there had that too. My dad's side of the family, they were lawyers and educators and uh, moonshiners and farmers and storytellers. They in the wintertime when they couldn't farm what not, they'd sit around the woodstove. Had a big, old pot bellied stove at my grandmother's house over there. They'd sit around there and that's when the tails had come out. And man, I missed those days. I lived for that kind of too.
Speaker 1: I was talking here a while back in one of my live streams and and uh, it's started rumbling outside. And I told him, I said, you know, what's that kind of put me in the mind of being young and again, you know, it'd come up a storm or something like that. You know, we'd all bundle up in the house, you know, and as young as you know, we'd be sitting in the floor and everything, like you said, usually ran a stove or something, and here come the stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then was my maternal grandmother. There's the same way. Now. They were in East Tennessee, but they had had a dairy farm and then the truck farm too, and she had a big old farmhouse. And then after they quit the dairy business and all that. She had nine kids, my mom and nine boys. I'd tell you I couldn't get away with anything. When I was a kid. My mom knew all the boy tricks. Put at her house. In the summertime, once it got dark, we'd get out on the shadow screened in porch on the front of the house. We'd sit out there and that's when the stories come out. And then in the wintertime, set in the living room there around the old stone fireplace, and you know, it'd be creepy. I wouldn't even want to get up and venture to the bathroom, you know, or somebody asked you to go upstairs and get something. It was creepy up there too. Had all these pictures sitting around of some of the boys that her sons that had gone off and fought in World War two and stuff, And even though they were all still alive at that time, there's something about them pictures looking at me. I didn't like the upstairs of.
Speaker 1: That house, yea, I'll tell you, man, there's something about some of them old pictures like it. I don't know what it is, but it did some of them. Like you said, it'll just give you the wheelies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and up there you walked upstairs, you turned on the light, and that's just egh is everywhere. There's pictures on every flat surface, you know, And uh, Nope, didn't like it, but as they just love the stories and just there's such an oral tradition like that in the South. You can go into all these different little communities and they've got a lot of the same stories and legends. They just tell it a little different. Like I couldn't tell you how many places there's a white woman that walks on the side of yeah, woman in white rather or a crybaby bridge. There's a bunch of those dads and the variants of that, and vanishing hitchhikers and those kind of stories, and I just love it. Man. Now, have you ever been up to Jonesboro to that International Storytelling convention that they have up there?
Speaker 1: You know, I have not, Like I said, I didn't even hear about it too, probably about a year ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been there in the audience. I've never gone up there and told stories. I've been invited, But maybe someday I'll get back down there. I'm in New England now. I've been all over the place, went from Tennessee to Florida, to Las Vegas, to Oregon, Washington State, back to Oregon, then to New Mexico, and now I'm in New England. So a lot of history up here, to a lot of houses or seventeen hundreds and things. I'm really really getting into it and finding so much local stuff here. And basically any place in New England is within a day's drive, so that's awesome too. I think I'm going to have to create a separate channel for all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm telling you, brother, I said, that's one thing, you know, I've told people, Uh, I said, I love you know, I love any history in general, not just Appalachian history. I love all history. And I've told him, I said, but you want some old history, I said, go over to the old country, you know, over our nameland.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah. There's there's a guy that comes to one of my some of my shows named Ted Branston. He lives on a farm in Scotland and uh, some I think his barn or one of his sheds or something like that, seven hundred years old. Seven hundred years. You know, that's it's amazing, and that's not even that old over there, so.
Speaker 1: Till young.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, I went to the UK in the early eighties. I took a gap year between high school and college and spent the better part of a year hitchhiking and backpacking through the UK. But I want to go back now that I don't have to walk everywhere, right, to train and take a little bit more time and then see everything. There's just those lay lions and the standing stones and oh yeah, so much ancient ancient history over there's a lot of haunted things and I can't wait to go back.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, man, I said, that's definitely one thing that you know, I definitely want to see one of these days is you know, the UK and place. You know, I want to see some of the old castles and things like that. You know, I just add, I just want to see it with my own eyes, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I want to go back to Stonehenge. I didn't get to spend a lot of time there, but you know that that's ancient. I mean, there's that's yeah, pre civilization almost there. The Druids and the Celts and all those people in there, and there's other stone standing stones and stuff over there. Another place I want to check out called Atterley Edge, and it ties in with the King Arthur, the Merlin legends and stuff they're supposed to be. I think it's a hundred knights in there on horseback somewhere in a cave on the mountain there. Well, they are waiting for Arthur to return to the throne so they can wake up and come and fight for England.
Speaker 1: Man oh man, amazing.
Speaker 2: But have you written a book or have any plans on writing one?
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of people's asked me. You know, I said, uh, you know, are you going to write a book or anything? I told him, I said, you know, I said, uh, I said, honestly, I said, I'm just just dumb old, you know, backwoods country boy. You know, I said, never really even given a thought to it, Uh, I said, even if if I wanted to, I said, Lord, I wouldn't even know where to even begin to even start to have it published.
Speaker 2: Well, just so happens, I started a publishing company. My wife and I I'll.
Speaker 1: Talk to you.
Speaker 2: I'll talk to you about it offline. I'm speaking maybe me and you ought to do a book together. I think we'd have a good energy and synergy there. If you will right there come up with something amazing, and I'd love to have you as as one of our authors for Society Publishing.
Speaker 1: That'd be an honor.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll talk about it. But I was talking to my wife about that today. We listened to some of your videos and she's like, yeah, I think that'd be great.
Speaker 1: Huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I really love what you're doing over there, And if you don't mind, would you favor us with a story or two here tonight on the ground zero Radio Network.
Speaker 1: I'd be honored. I actually got one I was talking about here not long ago to a buddy of mine about that said a long time ago, and now I reckon this happened up on around toward the northern side of Grundy County, Tennessee. Now I reckon this happened back in I think it was about the mid nineteen forties. Said that as this old feller him and his name is Abram, and his brother Ray and said that they was mule skinners. Now, well, a lot of folks don't think of you know, they think that's something mean to Anne most or anything like the have, But that's not what that means. Back then, that just meant mule skinning, meant somebody that just you know, worked with mules. Well said, they got you know, hard out for miss Feller that wanted them to come in and clear out some land. He bought a low patch of land, you know, stayed a little old, small, little bitty small having on him and said that he got it somehow or another, but he wanted them to clear cut it for him and everything, you know, on Hallow Timbrow. Well, they hissed the mules up and took off and with up her. Well, when they got up her, you know, they was people up here and you know, cutting them down. They was logging now, and said they had a one little beauty failure up here. Real young, you know, said that he was following around every word and everything, you know, during his best. He didn't really know much, but he was trying. Well said they stopped and took him a break, you know, and said they's get him drink of water and eat them a little bite, you know, and say it was midsummer. And Well said about that time, said that boy come over and tell them, said there's a spot over there. He said, it just looks different from the rest of the ground. He said, I can't explain it, he said, but I just keep you know, being drawn to it. Well said one of the older heads there, you know, went over and got and pointed out to him. Said he looked down at it and everything said. They walked back over and he said failers. He said, we got a grave on our hands. Well said. They went over and talked to the boss man about it, and he said, well, he said, about the only thing we do. He said, just cut around it. Don't disturb nothing or anything, you know. He said, I can talk to the county see what they want to do and everything, you know, the landowner and stuff. Well, I reckon everyone. Old Ray and a few of the older fellers told him, said, Nasser said, we ain't doing nothing on this land. The more he said, you never know, said it might be more thanks like that. He said, oh no, I said, ain't you know, said, don't see no more spots like as probably just that one. So they said, well, you know, said he says in the good books says you know, you can disturb the rest of the dead, so we ain't doing that. Well say, he told said, well you can work or leave. Well, they started, you know, getting them usual to leave, and and did you know, well I reckon that young feller and a couple other guys, you know, they stayed, you know, had to have the money back in you know. Well, they said. A couple of weeks later, you know, said they sent out the house so that the old young feller come by there. He said, boy, he looked rough. Mercy, he looked rough. Said he just awful, pale, dark rings under his eyes, you know, they said, asked him, said, lord, you know what's wrong with you? Said yaling. He said, no, I ain't ailing, said, just can't sleep, said none of us can. They said, wow. Well, apparently after they had left, you know, they told them keep you know, keep on cutting and stuff. Well, they brought a team of horses up here to log them, you know, logs out of there. Well said that they you know, was logging them out and everything. Well said, all of a sudden, the horses was getting spooked for no reason. Said they didn't want to listen to them, and said they you know, jump and everything else and kick all kinds of stuff. You know. Well, they said about that time, said one of the guys told him, said we're gonna have to remove his stump over here. Well said, they got over and they said they hit change, changed that old stump, stuff and everything, you know, don't got them horses over and says the pull and stuff. Well that stump come up and everything, and it hit that grave. Well said when it did, they said there was a scream echoed cross that where they's at there, and said a cool breeze that just they say, it was almost like ice, you know, come through there and said every one of them stopped and said them horses just froze, you know. Well said they got him in there. So they finally, you know, got to leading them horses out of the way and stuff and everything and saw what they'd done. Well, they got the boss man over again, and they called it to somebody from the county come up out of the corner and stuff, you know, and said that they just halted all work. You know. Well after that, they said that none of them could sleep, said couldn't sleep or wink, said every time they'd go to sleep, said they'd see that man that you know, they was in that coffin there that they uprooted, said they'd see him or come a riding, you know, and said that they all start to run, said they all have the same dream, so they'd all start to run. Here he'd come a riding, you know, said you know, dirt falling off of and stuff and screaming that old scream that they heard. Andy said they try to run, but every time, said he'd grab them and said he'd pull them into that hole where he was buried, and said they wake up, and said they do that, and said, you know, they just couldn't sleep.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I reckon Old Abram and o'd a talked to their daddy, which was a preacher man, and said he told him, said what them boys need to do. He said, every one of them that was there, easy to go back in there, said build him a pine box and put him back in the same spot, ask the Lord for forgiveness, and ask him for forgiveness, and said they said he told him, say all right, I'll let everybody know. And I reckon they did because I reckon said they was trying to figure out who the feller was through old census and stuff down the county and said they all went in together and Bill built him another coffin, like you know. They put him in it, and the landowner agreed to put him back in the same spot and said when they did, they said they done exactly what they told He said, everything went back to normal. And I thought that was a pretty wild story right here.
Speaker 2: That's some story, and that, like you were talking about, you hear a story and it jogs your memory. One I heard that reminded me of one that i'd heard that I forgot about. There was a guy over there around where my dad was from named Ray Hicks, Spade was his nicknames.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I've heard heard him.
Speaker 2: He's he was around him and and some guy had a still set up out there in the woods somewhere and had to walk several miles to get back in there to it. They've been back there to there still one night and they were coming out and they got kind of tired. Now, of course they've been in the mash a little bit too, so I don't know how much that affected the story. And they sat down on an old log there by the side there was just a dirt road, sit down the side of the road on a log there to take a rest. And so they looked around and the one guy was sitting on one end. Ray was sitting kind of in the middle, and on the other side of the ray there was a woman sitting there beside him with no head, and she had on like a Victorian style clothing and long dress and stuff. They got up at it run, I mean to beat hell out of there, and it had chased him. Whatever it was, it wouldn't run him after him, but it was flying after him. And they have heard that. You could go where that happened, and there's still pine trees that have bent over where they ran through there trying to get away from this thing. And heard the spade tell the continuance of that. He was at his mother's house one night and he was upstairs. He slept up like in a loft that they had there in a cabin, basically what it was, and he heard somebody coming up the stairs and he thought it was his mother, and he looked up and it was that headless woman. And he hadn't been drinking that time, he said, And he said, I didn't know what to do. He said, I covered up my head and prayed that the old Lord, you know, saved me from this whatever this thing is that's after me. And then finally I reckon he got enough to look out and she was gone. But you know, what's that all? But that sounds like a family curse or a bloodline thing or somethingause apparently, and uh well, he was in the thick of it too. He was a prisoner of war during World War two and they tortured him, left him for dead. And I think he had a he had a purple heart, maybe a Congressional Medal of honor. The boy he could tell some tales. At one time, my father owned the house that Ray used to live in and heard all kinds of stories. A man was just a legend over in midle someplace. They had him, put him in jail for something, probably public drunkenness or something, and he ended up running off with a jailer's wife. She brought him something to eat and he got the sweet talking, and she led him out and they took off together. He was a character. But I met the man lots and lots of times, and he just he'd get that up a thousand yards there though. You could tell he was reliving some of that stuff when he was talking about the scary stuff as well as the horrors of war. And I remember one time they had an interview with him, and I think it's the Jamestown paper. And he was talking about his son. He had a son, and he said, this is my boy's world. He don't live in my world. I live in his. And just you know, he just he was full of just a wealth of knowledge and old sayings and stories and stuff. I wish I had more stories from him.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know. And you know that's one thing too, I've always told a lot of folks about you know, when you said that kind of reminded me the older folks, you know, the older generation as I call him, you know, the elders or an older head wanted a wiser head, you know. Uh. They had a way of putting things and wording things that just two or three words, you know, could just make you, you know, see the world a different way.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, a lot of smarts, a lot of horse sense. They called it common sense. There's people over there that I don't know if they ever went to school or not, but you know, they knew how to do all kinds of things. They could predict the weather. My dad could do what they call water witching. Yep, it was a willow branch, a pork willow branch. He could find not only water, but like buried pipes and things like that. I've seen him do it, and I tried it, and I tried everything in the world, Jared to keep that stick from pointing down. It was a fresh branch, and the tip of that pointed down so hard, and I was trying to keep it from pointing down. Then it stripped the bark off in my hands. So there's something to all that. Now. His mother, she was kind of these days. They'd call her a granny witch too, that was, and I think she was born in eighteen ninety two, eighteen ninety five, something like that. I was a late in life, unexpected baby. My dad was born in nineteen twenty one, and they called it. She was a They called her a yarb doctor over there. She was an herb doctor, but it bordered on the granny wedch stuff. She also ran the post office, cut hair and pull teeth and could whip up some kind of herbal medicine for you.
Speaker 1: Jack of all trade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh well, my dad had some stories. They used to drop the mail off on the train as the O and W was the line that went through. There's oh Naida and I don't remember what the other what the w part was, but he'd have to go and uh pick up the mail to the train to go by and throw the mail off and he'd have to bring that back to the house. They had to post office set up on the front porch had a little half door like a Dutch door. When they're open, you could come there and then get your mail. And amazing, you know, the absolute middle to know where that the farm still exists. The family farm wasn't own it now They farmed tobacco and corn. I think over there and nine hundred and ninety acres. I believe it is borders on the big South Fort National Recreation Area that's on the Kentucky side. They lived on the Tennessee side of it right there, and that whole area over there, it's just steeped in mystery and stories got Grimsly and clark Range and Old Nida. Now now they deny it, but there's a story that first movie theater that opened in on Naida, people piled in there. They didn't know exactly what they're about to see. The curtains parted, the screen lit up and it was a picture of a movie of an oncoming steam locomotive and people ran out of the theater. They thought they not to get it run over by the train. Now they deny that, but from what I've heard, it really did happen that way.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I mean, if you've something to think about it. You know, folks never seeing nothing like that, you know, other than just a regular you know, picture ever now and you know something is coming like here, something coming right, animal or the.
Speaker 2: Lights up and here comes the train. Let's get out of here. And over there in that same area there's a place called helen Wood, and they had some kind of explosion over there something where they were coal mine. It was literally hell in the woods. That's how they came about that. And there was a guy that had thought overseas in World War One and he had seen some Chinese statues and things like that. Decided he was going to make his own. And he got in a remember what kind of rock he had, probably sandstone or something over there, something you could carve easy, right, and uh, he got in the cave over there in the back of his property and carved a statue of the devil. And people came from miles around to see that. They exhibited there at the depot, and uh, people started coming from Nashville and places like that to see the devil is the Tennessee devil. I've got a story about that. Yeah, in a big pine box looking thing. It's got its hand covered, its crouch up, and people thought it was real. Yep.
Speaker 1: I said. We went to uh the old Scotts County jail here a while back, and we was up. I said, it's right on the Tssee Kentucky border there, you know Scott's County is. And we was up there and they got a big old uh see what was it? I got kind of like a mural lock and everything of it. And I was looking at that, and I was thinking, when I want a neat world, is that? And they got to reading about it and everything I that I was, that's neat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they charged, I think at the height of its popularity, they charged a quarter to go in the tent and look at it. Back then, a quarter was a lot of money back in a day's wages. And yeah, you're talking about meal skinners before. Yeah, a lot of people misinterpret that. All that meant was that was somebody that was a meal team driver. The skin the meal. They meant to outthink it, you know, to skin it, to trick it into doing what you wanted to do. Because that old saying stubborn as a mule.
Speaker 1: And twice it smart.
Speaker 2: My dad, they had mules over there, that's what they worked the farm with. Plowed, you know, old fashioned plow, you know, pulled behind a couple of mules and the guy walking and pushing it along. But there's so much history over there too, used to find arrowheads and things. And the one story here telling me about the grave there that reminded me of another story I've got in there where a guy was sending his boy down to the creek to get some soft earth so they could work on their garden. Work their garden spot up and there was a mound of dirt there that was halfway to the creek that was real rich. And the kid decided, well, I'll stop there and shovel some of that dirt, save myself some trouble. Well, turned out that was an Indian mound. It was a burial mound, and he was digging that stuff out of there and scared him, you know, and his dad told him, no, don't be getting no dirt out of there. That's his ave Americans buried in there. Don't want to put that on the guard. And heard of another story like that where a guy was digging around under an Indian bluff and there was some people had been buried under there, and he heard something that sounded like geese, and he said they surrounded him all the way around, and it got louder and louder louder and scared him off, and he wouldn't go under there anymore. And then on the family farm that I was talking about there, my brother was over there one Thanksgiving when he was probably wasn't quite a teenager yet, eleven twelve years old, had a couple of cousins who were supposed to be coming over for Thanksgiving too. Well, he'd walk down to the bluff. They had a big bluff on their property there, and we used to find pieces of flint and then they'd started working and pot shards and things like that under there. Well, he was down under the bluff and he heard talking, but he could couldn't quite make out what they were saying. Well, he thought the cousins had shown up because my parents and him had got there first. So he walked back up on the bluff and didn't see anybody, but he heard the talking again, sounded like it was coming from under the bluff, and he said, well, maybe they went down around the other way. So he went back down there still nothing there, and he could hear the talking again, and he got spooked and left out there there wasn't he said, he couldn't understand what was being said, but he could hear distinctively, hear people talking. And this is like I said, out in the absolute middle of nowhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you were out there in the middle of nowhere, you know, that's when you know something's wrong. Which you know, that's why I told a lot of folks you know here in the mountains and stuff. You know, us mountain folks. You know, people was used to the mountains. You know, we know all the sounds critters made and things like that, and you know the creeks, you know, and everything like that. When folks tells you, you know that they hear something that's strange, you better raise nyebrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard stories of like a fox can make it sound like a baby crying, and supposedly some of those big cats can too. And one of the spookiest sounds I've ever heard, even though I knew what it was. Uh, sometimes in the summer evening about sundown, a rabbit we'll throw its head back and makes some kind of it's almost like a whistling warbling sound or something. And the first time you hear that, that'll raise the hair on the back.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it will, well, it will, I said. Yeah, there's a whole lot of you know, animal stuff. And you know, like you said, the old cats and them old painters, you know, or the old time they caught them a painter, you know, yeah, painter cats, And yeah.
Speaker 2: I heard heard lots of stories about them.
Speaker 1: And you know they can holler and scream out and sounds like a woman boy, and it'll it'll raise a hair on the back your neck. But so like I said, you know, they're familiar with them sounds. They know what it is. So when they tell you there's something in woods that don't belong, you better listen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And and over there County they've had sightings of some big creature. I don't know if it's bigfoot or what. But that farm, that one of the farms that joins the home place over there, a guy cut his leg with an axe or chainsaw, or something, and they had to call it an ambulance. And when the ambulance came out there through that old gravel road back in there had the sirens going. And the guy that had heard that said he heard some kind of animal back in the woods hollering back. And he said, years later he was watching a documentary things on the Discovery Channel, the History Channel, was something about Bigfoot, and he said, the stuff that they'd captured on there, that was supposedly the yips and the owls that those cryptos make, he said, that's what that thing sounded like out there in the woods. So I tell you what, there couldn't be a better place for it than out there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, thats for sure, you know, because you know here in these old mountains and stuff, you know a lot of the land and you know kind of like you know, up and around the Smoky Mountains areas, and you just like the middle and eastern part of Tennessee especially, you know, there's so much, you know, just vast woods, and then you know there's old caves and stuff that ain't ever been you know, explored, and stuff. You know, there's no telling wat's out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, one hundred and ten percent and some stuff you don't want to find. Some stuff's better left alone. I think as big as house cats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a big no for me. That's not Mary for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right there it is. Got another story you'd like to tell us?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, uh, talking about one while ago, I said, kind of reminded me. Uh it's Moore said that. Uh he said when he was real young, you know, and I reckon it. I think it's happened back in the sixties. Uh. He said. He was a good buddy of my uncle's. I said, he was telling me about it once, said he moved into this little house and he said, when they first got into that house, he said that, you know, he said, just had that vibe. You know, it just didn't feel like home, and it didn't want you there, you know, like you was you was invading, you know, and said that he said, boy, he said it said in the first night, you know, he said, even when they got there, he said, minutes just seemed like ours, you know. He just time was just different around that house. Well said that that night he said something started shaking him, saying get up and run. He said, boy, I listened to he said, I got up. He said, I tell of that of that house. He said, I was screaming, bloody murder. He said, I run out of that house. He said, broke the screen door, plumb off the hinges, he said, running out, screaming. He said, Mom and Daddy run me, damn. He said, I was telling them what happened. Everything, he said, Well, Daddy said he looked all in the all over the bedroom. He said, didn't see you know, and everything. So so he figured I was just making it up and said he told me. He said, boy, I btter I can hit you doing that again, He said, Daddy, I I promise you it's true, you know, said to him, said get back to bed. He said, well, next day, same thing, you know, just felt funny and just uneasy. Lie said, that night, same thing. See like everyone's sleep. But once he got sleep, so woke him up, saying get up and run and he said again I listened. He said, Well, this time he said, Daddy caught me. He said, boy, tell you what he said. He tanned my leather good and said he said he had to get up work next morning, said he didn't want to me. Woke up like that again. Well, he said, from then on, whenever that happened, he said, I just had to burn my face in my pillar and just deal with it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Well, he said this went on. He said one day he said he was out there, he said, and the neighbors said their grandson come over to visit them, and said he come over the property. Line said he seen me after in the yard and asked me what my name was. Stuff saidbody wouldn't come over into the yard, say he told, He said, you know why you're welcome, come on over, said let's play, you know. Say Toy said no, and I don't want to come over with ours. That place is haunted and said, well, he said he got to tell him about being woke up, you know, and stuff and said that old boy said just secured him after death, you know. Say he just made big eyes and took off running back to the house. He said, I have said he wouldn't talk to me no more or nothing. You know, he said, I thought, well, shoot, you know, I go to the buddy. Well, he said, he kept on and on and on. Which now he said, he's daddy. You used to drink a lot and everything. He said he was a mean drunk too. You know. It's always mean to him and his mama. He said. Well, one night, he said he he say, I was laying our sleep. He said again, he said, I got woke up, get up and run, he said. When I woke up, he said, as soon as I set up, he said, I heard Daddy in there in the kitchen. He said, I heard him, you know, hollering, you know, hollering the mama and everything. He said. About the time he said I heard my name, he said, I could hear him coming down the hallway. He said, I jumped up. He said, I run across the wad. He said, I was gonna climb out the window, and I was gonna run. He said. I got the window up, He said, just a little ways, he said, and he got stuck. He said, I couldn't climb all the way out. He said, Daddy busted that door open and everything. He said. The next thing I know, he said, I thought, Lord, this is it for me, And said, by the time he busted that door open, he said, the closet door swung open.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: Daddy looked over into it, and he said, I don't know to this, he said, as long as a man live, he never would tell me. He said, I don't know what that man saw, he said, but I've never seen Daddy drop to his knees and start crying, saying I'm sorry, and said, Daddy run out of that house at night. He said he run down the road. Said he wouldn't come back to daylight. But said after that happened, he said he wouldn't drink no more. He said he was didn't yell at him the more and said that. He said his mama even took him out of the church. Said he got saved and everything else. And he said, just you know, said he said, after that, he said Daddy was a completely different person. He said, well, what makes this story really need is? He said? Later on he said, I got to wonder about that. He said, I got doing some history and things like that. You know, he said, I looked up. He said, I found out the boy's name. Uh that. He said. What happened was said, there was an old old fellow there. He says, boy every there were about fourteen. He said, his daddy, you know, took his life. I reckoned in that boy's bedroom. He said. Well, he said, I got to look it up. You know what happened to him? Stuff and everything? He said, even seen a picture of him where he was buried. He said, Then it dawned on me. He said, that boy, He said, what because of what happened to him? Said, he weren't trying to scare me. He said, he was trying to protect me. And he said, I went to he's grave. He said, I put my hand on his grave. He said, so help me. This is true. He said, I put my hand on his headstone and said, thank you, buddy. He said, I didn't have to run no more. He said, I stood up. Excuse me, he said, I stood up, turned around, he said, started to walk away, and he said. There was the previous feather, he said, come out of nowhere, he said, landed right on my shirt. I thought, Lord, that was a good one right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a great story. I love stories like that that have a kind of a twist there at the end and something. You know, he wasn't trying to get him, It was trying to keep.
Speaker 1: Him from Yeah, because I said, into trouble. Yeah exactly. I love the spooky ones too, you know, but it's good to hear them sometimes, you know, that let you know, you know there is things out there that looks out for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the amazing, amazing stuff there. I love those old legends and stories like that. A lot of the one offs. You know, you hear places where there's a lot of activity and stuff goes on all the time, but then things like that were just maybe one or two people. It was all that had ever happened to. I loved and stuff like that. I love going to places where things like that have happened. And one, I know you're not too far from Nashville there. Have you ever been down to Adams, Tennessee, to the Belwich Cave.
Speaker 1: I've been down there twice, and both times I went down there, something went wrong. We didn't get to take the tour or nothing. Yeah, first time it went down there, they had some kind of alarms go kept going off or something like it. We couldn't do nothing. And then the second time we went down there, it was raining and storming. Lord, it was bad. I think they were William hurricanes. And we didn't get to do it. The n neither.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just right there on the edge of the Red River and it floods out real easy. I know the lady that her and her husband owned it. Chris Kirby last time I was over there as before they really had it going big, and she said that her husband had encountered something down there in the cave that he wouldn't even talk about. And he told her, if you want to give tours and have the gift shop and all that, have addings and I ain't having nothing to do with it. And I was in there, and we hear stuff way back in the cave, and there wasn't nobody else in there. I mean, they've got a big looks like a jail door there that they unlocked to let you in when it's closed. I was the only one there that day and could hear stuff back in there. She had a dog with her, and whatever it was that spoke, the dog get ran out and I just I had my first digital camera. That's how long ago. It was probably mid nineties or something, and I took some pictures in there, and I was sitting outside reviewing them. She had a little gazebo picnic table up there, and I was showing her the pictures and there was stuff jared in those pictures that wasn't down there in the cave. She's like, I don't know what that is. There's a Cherokee Box grave in there there. I don't know what happened to the bones that were in there, but the grave is still there. And right there beside that grave, where I'd taken a picture of it, there was something that looked like a board, like a two by four or something, but it was black and it was just in the frame there, and there wasn't anything like that down there. And she's got some albums of pictures, some of them that she took and some of that other people took. And there was one just outside the opening of the cave. Her daughter and one of her little friends from school were sitting there like best buddies. But around her daughter's neck there was a snake, I mean a big snake, like a boa constricted or something. And she said, my daughter is scared to death of snakes. There's no way she would have sat there smiling with her arm around her best friend and a big snake around her neck. She said, I don't know what that is. And a lot of times they've got a gate there where you drive into the farm, and if they're not there, they close them like that. And she said, I don't know how many times I've come home and find something laying there with a note tied to it and said, please put this back in the cave. I know. I wasn't supposed to take anything. I did, and I've had nothing but trouble ever since. You know, there was activity in my house or hearing things and seeing things. There's definitely a presence there.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've heard a lot of people. I had a buddy of mine, he's in the National Guard, and he said that they was on he had a leave one weekend, you know, and he said that I thought, He said, I was bored. He said his wife had went to visit some relatives and everything.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: He said, I had the whole weekend to myself. He said. I was like, man, you know what I'm gonna do? He said, I thought, well, you know what, I ain't gonna sit around the house to be bored, you know. He said, I'm gonna get out of here and you know, enjoy myself. He said, man, he said, I went all over the place, going to you know, seeing visiting areas and locations stuff like that. And he said he went by you know, the bell Waste place, you know, and he said, you know, he said, he paid for the you know, the whole tour. You know, there's two different kinds of record you can get. You know, partial tour would list you know, some information and into the one where they take you to the cave and everywhere else and the you know, things like that. And he said, well, he said, man, he said, I'm not going to lie to you. He said, the feelings I got at that place, he said, He said, I couldn't explain it. He said, I felt. He said, the only way I know how to describe it is it felt like somebody else was in me, controlling my movements. He said, that's the only way I know how to describe it. He said. We was on the way to the cave. He said. I told him, I, you know, I had something come up. I had to leave. And he said, I went back to my car. Excuse me, he said, And I sat there. He said, I bet you. He said, good twenty minutes and he said, I cranked up. He said, I started leaving. He said that the further I got, he said, the better I felt. And he said, I've never been back since.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't get that kind of feeling there, but it was spoo. I mean, I definitely felt something I'm open to stuff like that, and there was a kind of a pressure or something there that I can't describe it. It wasn't a pleasant place. You couldn't pay me to spend the night in there, but it felt different. The only place I've ever really had that feeling a little town over in North Carolina called Done And back in the sixties, they had a wave of just weird stuff over there. Monsters, and they saw a little man the size of a coke bottle, and just all kinds of weird stuff. And I, this is way back in the day. I'd written some letters to a guy that was a reporter for the newspaper there that covered a lot of that stuff, and he had passed away before I could ever get over there. I was coming through there one time. I was on my way the Outer Banks. That's another area with a lot of history and a lot of spooky stuff. But I stopped there and Done and spent the night, and I couldn't wait to get out of there. Coming in there in the dark, it looked like a peaceful little town. But daylight, when I woke up, I felt homicidal or something. I just I had to get out of there. I felt sick to my stomach. There was just something there that didn't like me being there, and same thing. Once I got in my car and got out of there. The farther down the road I got, the better I felt, And eventually it passed and i'n't been back since that. I wouldn't go back unless I was. If I did, i'd be more prepared. You know, you can people some people carry crystals or smudge themselves with sage or something like that to kind of ground yourself. And you know, if you know you're coming up against something like that, you can put up shields and defenses. But when it blindsides you like that, it'll take the wind out of you.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Like you said, you know, if you're not expecting something like that, you know, and you got your guard down and everything, you know, Lord Mercy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've lived in some places that were real active and finally dawned on me a few years ago. It's not the place is so much. I think it's me I've lived in was haunted to a degree. But I think I'm the one that's haunted. I think anywhere I go to uh And I've had people tell me that because you're open to it. It's it's like a candle and moss. You know, they'll see the light and they'll come to it, right right, Yeah, exactly. So again you learn to shield yourself to word that stuff up, because, like you said, there's stuff out there that wants to jump in you, that that wants whatever it is that you've got that they don't, and that's a scary feeling. Yeah. There's a place up in the Smokies that I've been up to Cleveland's doumeb one time and wasn't on the wasn't on the trail. I was just hiking back out through the woods. It's kind of bushwhacken and Jared I came across a place there was a big old beech tree, because one of the biggest trees I'd ever seen, especially in the Smokies, and up there at that height there's there's not too many trees like that, but this thing looked like a Disney tree, and it looked like it had been made. And it's like three or four people holding hands to reach all around it, maybe half a dozen people, and the sun was kind of broke through the clouds and it was shining right down on that tree. And I walked into that clearing. There wasn't anything else around it, and just something just suddenly the woods went quiet. Have you ever had that happen where like somebody hit the mute button. You can't hear when you can't hear the birds. Well, I've learned that's a sign to turn around and high tail it out of there. But I was there by that tree and everything went quiet, real still, and something, just like some little voice in the back of my hand, said, you know, that'd be a good place to sit down and rest, just set down by that tree there, maybe even take a nap. And I'm kind of thinking yeah, And then I thought, wait a minute, it's it's in the evening. I need to get back down off of here, or you know, I'm gonna be asleep in the middle of the woods in the dark. And I've been back up there two or three times and I can't find that tree. I think something was playing tricks on me. I think there's some kind of trickster out there. They will try to lure you in, lull you in. And I think if I'd sat down under that tree and went to sleep, I'd be one of those people. That vanished in the Smokies without a trace.
Speaker 1: I don't to be and you know that, you say, you know, it makes a really good point about how a lot of these people, especially like you know, like you said, like the National parks and stuff like that. You know, how they can go into these places and some of them be just like you know, in a crowd of people and just vanish without a trace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so turn and turn around the corner. Hiking with a group on a trail, one person goes around the corner ahead of the group, never seen again. Now, a lot of stuff that I've covered, thousands of missing person cases easily a lot of it. It's people that are overconfident or underprepared. I mean, the can change in an instant. But there are some cases out there that are spooky that it makes no sense, It makes no rhyme or reason. I said, I've talked about the Dennis Martin case earlier. That one grabbed me from day one. So that Father's Day in nineteen sixty nine. I was about a year younger than Dennis when that happened, and I just I've never been able to get that out of my head. I met his father much later in life. He talked about a man that was haunted and I can imagine they were talking to him. I think he's on the fortieth anniversary of Dennis's disappearance. One of the local stations, believe in either WTE or WBI R there in Knoxville, and he said, in my heart of hearts, I don't think I'll ever see him again. But he said there's a part of me and he thinks I'll one day I'll be sitting here and I'll here knock at the door, and I'll go to the door look out, and there's a handsome man standing there, and he said, I probably another reporter wanting to talk to me about Dennis. Said I opened the door and yes, can I help you? And the guy throws his arms up and said, Dad, it's me. It's Dennis. I've come home. But that never happened. He passed away on Halloween. It's been several years ago. I was living in Portland at the time, but I remember hearing that he had passed away. But that anguish, you know, to lose a child. And he saw Dennis go into that clump of bushes and never come back out. That's the last time he ever saw him. I don't know if something took him, if he got abducted, if he got into a place and couldn't get out and they just never found anything.
Speaker 1: Or you know, you know, if it could be something kind of similar maybe what you know you experienced. You know. And another thing too is you know, there's so many stories of you know, pharo people up there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we covered that. We had a video that my wife wrote about feral people in national parks and in the wilderness in general. And Dwight McCarter he used to be he was a ranger there in the smoke. He's a head tracker. He was the lead on the Denis Martin case. He's retired now, but he said there he didn't call them feral people, but he said there's people that live back in there that don't want anything to do with anybody. He said they've been back there for generations. And I've had people try to debunk that and say, you actually think there's places back there that people could hide and not be seen. Yes, there I do. And if you don't, you just haven't been far enough back in the woods. I'm not talking about on the high contrails. I'm talking about bushwhacking and getting out in some of those hells they call them because they're held to get through. And an example that I like to point to Eric Rudolph, the bomber that was on the FBI's most wanted list. He hid out in Nanta Haala National Force, which is just below the Smoke. He's there for five years and eluded the FBI. This was a guy with no survival experience, no real outdoors experience. Well, if a guy like that can go hide in the woods for five years, you know, I telling me that there couldn't be dozens of people out there doing the same thing. And park The only reason he got caught he was sneaking into some little town there in North Carolina and getting they old pastries out of the dumpster of a little store there where they were throwing him away. Sweet tooth got him caught. But yeah, I believe it's possible. I believe there's people out there. And there's another guy. You may have heard of him. He's got a YouTube channel called South Forest ten and he tells a lot of the Smoky's legends and stuff. And he's older than I am. He's way up in his sixties, maybe even seventy. But he said some of his relatives talked about before it was a national park, they were hired by the government to go in there and hunt these pharaohs and get them out of there, and that he says, part of the reason that it is a national park is to contain those people in there. That that containment theory.
Speaker 1: I've heard that, I have to I've heard that a few times.
Speaker 2: But uh, I don't know, I don't know what to think. It's just it's one of those things. I've been looking into this since I was little, and I have yet to find any answers. Uh. In fact, I've got a lot more questions than I started with. And and now it's like I'm not even looking for answers anymore. I'm trying to find the next set of questions.
Speaker 1: Right right, you know, because you know, like you said, you know, it's just there's just so many possibilities, you know, and it does make you wonder, you know, if that's false. You know, why are there's you know, signs everywhere in these places, you know, do not leave the trail, you know, stay with the group. Yeah, of course, you know, naturally, you know you're gonna have wild animals and things like that, you know, but it also makes you wonder too, is it something else?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've thought about that, you know, and that's I don't know, there's something out there. There's I've felt the presence out there before, and I've been around big cats. I've been around bear and stuff like that. He didn't feel like that because the other animals and things, you know, they know when there's an apex predator around. Right, there's something out there that even the predator animals are scared of. Oh yeah, I don't know what isn't But there's so much that we don't know. We we think we're so smart about a lot of things, and there's I mean, they're they're discovering new species all the time in places like the rainforest and places like that. And there was a time around the turn of the last century when they thought the great apes were a myth, that that was just you know, stories and things until they actually found one. Right, And I've had people say, well, Bigfoot can't exist, because how come they've never found a carcass in the woods. Well, I know bears exist, and I've been all over the Smokies. I've hiked the Appalachian Trail for about three months one time, from Georgia to Damascus, Virginia. And I never seen a bear carcass in the woods. The only time I've ever seen a deer carcass was a fresh one when somebody was poaching out a season and and got rid of it. But just because you can't find the carcass, that don't mean it's not out there exactly. Who's to say they don't bury their dead. I mean, there's Cherokee legends about Harry Giants. One day suddenly I think there's what they call it legends of the little people up there in the Smokies. It all ties together, it's all connected. That's what I think is.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Like I said, there's one thing that I've learned over the years and stuff and everything, and especially you know, since it started doing these stories and hearing other people with experiences and everything. And one thing I've learned, like I said, is keep an open mind about pretty much everything.
Speaker 2: Yep. That's one of those TV shows used to say that there's no mystery to an open mind or something like that, and that's true. You have to consider all the things. Yeah, a lot of people will go messing through their own fault. Like I said, being overconfident, underprepared. You get out and not dressed for the weather, rainstorm and blow in. You can get hypothermia even in the summertime on the tops of some of those mountains. But then there's those cases that just make you wonder, like where they were hiking along and suddenly they're not even on the trail anymore. They look around behind them and there is no trail and they don't know where they are. There's been people where they could see search and rescue and hear them, but they couldn't see or hear the person they're looking for, even they were then shouting distance of each other. Oh yeah, don't know if it's a time slip or.
Speaker 1: That's what I started saying. I've wandered that about that too, you know, And there's so many stories about you know, like you say, people you know they're going down the road and yeah, you know, sometimes you know you're driving, you've got a lot on your mind or something, especially if you're buy yourself and you know you're just kind of zoned out, you know, and you know, time will get away from you a little bit. But there's people that said so many times. You know, I was driving on the interstate, you know, or going home, and the next thing I know, I'm in a completely different area in a snap of a finger. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had that happen too. I've had some just minor time slips like that, if you will. And then I had one episode when I was a teenager of missing time, and that was in suburban West Knoxville U subdivision that I lived in the building in three phases. The first part had been done, the second part was still under construction, and they had started on the third part, Phase three. They just had a asphalt road that went up in there and the rest of it was wooded lots. And a guy that lived up the street from me, we went to high school together. We both rode BMX bicycles at the time, and we'd ridden up there just to ride on that road where there was no houses or cars or anything. And we were headed toward the end of the road it ended in a cul de sac, just peddled along, jawing with each other there, and I heard a noise up in the woods off to my right, sounded like some metallic and I just looked up that way and then I looked back. We were still on our bicycles, still peddling, but we were going the other direction.
Speaker 1: Oh went on.
Speaker 2: Down the road. We didn't say a word to each other. He went in his driveway. I went on down to mine, went in the house. My mom and Dad's like, where are you being? I was out riding bikes with Danny, and they said, well, you need to get in here. You got school tomorrow. It's late. It was after eleven o'clock, and it was had much more than gotten dark because in the summertime it's probably around eight nine o'clock. Whendn't we were up there, so somewhere in there I lost two or three hours, had no idea where I was or what happened. But I was going one direction and the next thing I know, I'm going the other direction, still on the bike, still peddling. And I've had people ask me, would you undergo hypnosis or hypnotic regression? And a part of me is curious. Some would like to, but then there's a part of me I don't want to know right after two or three hours or what happened to me, if it was exactly aliens or something like that, and I got probed. I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Know about it, you brother. Yeah, you know, I've always heard, you know, don't ask questions that you don't want to know the answer.
Speaker 2: To exactly, you know, exactly.
Speaker 1: But I said, I had a similar experience once, me and my dad back before he passed away. We had heard about this old cemetery that my granny always told us that had some of her king folk in and she said it was old dirt road, you know, old logging road. By the time, I used to have an old deep Cherokee. And we went up that old road and everything, and uh well, we turned off with like I said, a little side road there, you know. We went back there for like five minutes and it comes almost to a dead end. That's when we had to hit the little uh old logging road. And we went back there and I made it. Took probably twenty minutes to get back there to it. Finally found it, like never found it, but we finally found it. We get out, you know, we're looking around, you know, see some familiar the names that we've heard of growing up and stuff, you know, and Dad said, we'll look up that sky, you know, he said, it looks like it's gonna storm on us. He said, we better get out of here and get back to the house for it opens up gets bad on us. I said, well, all right, Well, we loaded up, turned the jeep ram and we went over. We literally leave the cemetery there. We went over the little beady hill and around one little curve and there was that road and we just stopped and I just we just looked at one another. He said, how did we get out of there that fast? I said, I don't know. I said, I can't explain now. He said, it took us forever to get back in there. I said, yeah, and it literally mighta took maybe two minutes to get back out. And I said, I to this day, I can't explain it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had some little ones like that. When I lived in Las Vegas. I was going home one night and I think I was going out to Flamingo. I had to go out and make a turn and go to a part of town that I lived in, and I drove and I drove and I drove, and suddenly I realized, I don't even know where I'm at. Nothing looked familiar to me, and I thought I've passed my road. I'm going to be up to Blue Diamond or somewhere. I'm going to have to turn around and go back. And it should have taken me five minutes to get to the from the strip to that time of night, up to where I needed to turn, and I know, I drove for like fifteen or twenty minutes, and then when I was looking for some place to turn around, there was the turn I needed to make. And to this day, I have no idea what happened there, Just the road wasn't where it was supposed to be, and then I came to it eventually. And another time, this when I lived in Oregon. I lived outside of Portland for a while, a little town called Saint Helen's, Oregon, And I smoked sigarettes at the time, and I'd walked up to the corner store to get a pack of cigarettes and it was maybe two blocks, yeah, And I got my cigarettes, and I came back and I was paying attention, you know, I just might have been daydreaming a little bit or something. That was after dark, and I turned down what I thought was my road and it wasn't my road. And I'd gone like three blocks up the road and turned out another taking left down another road, walking and it took me a minute, but I figured out where it was and went back out and went to two blocks up and then there was my street. But there's no way I would have walked right past it like that. There's there's a I heard somebody explain at one time, like, if you've got a map and there's a distance between point A and point B, well, what would happen if you folded that map, like with a fold in the middle to where A and B are closer, that you could fold the fabric of time or space and make those distances shorter. And I believe somehow that happens sometimes inadvertently. I don't think it's anything we do or anything we can control. I think it just happens.
Speaker 1: I believe you're at man, it's got to be it's got to be something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes no sense.
Speaker 1: They don't, but like I said, it's wild. I mean to think about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the points. That's I'm an insomniac, chronic of doing better here lately since I got married and moved to New England. But there was a lot of years in it. I didn't sleep more than two or three hours at night. But that's the kind of stuff that rolls around in my head at night when I can't spend something to ponder. You know, what was that? What happened to this? Where'd that go? You know? Who did this? That? You can think of all kinds of things, And like Charles Fort once wrote, one measures a circle beginning anywhere, And that's the way this stuff is. You can start at one point, go all the way around, you come back to the same thing thing you were thinking about, and you still don't know anymore than when you started.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, that's that. And I think that too, you know, that's what makes a lot of that so interesting, you know, fascinating. In fact, I'm not knowing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it wouldn't be fun if we had all the answers of the journey that I've been, it wouldn't have been near as much fun adventure as I've enjoyed. And that's why I just thrill the chase, to thrill the hunt, you know, to go out there and see what's happened or go I never go anywhere thinking that I'm going to experience anything, but sometimes you get pleasantly surprised, if you will, right, But like that that if you go expecting it to happen, it ain't gonna happen. But then you can find yourself in a place and something will happen, and then you ask somebody about it and be oh, yeah, that's you know, old man so and So's place. It's haunted. You don't want to be around there. Yeah. That reminded me of the story of one of my cousins. She was married the guy that was in the Marines. I think they had been at Campbell of June or somewhere, and am on their weekends off them. Another military couple went hiking and they came across an old house out in the middle of the woods somewhere, and obviously nobody lived there, but they sort of broke into it and went in looked around. They said, there was the dinner plates and silverwear and stuff was set out like they were getting ready to eat. There was clothes laid out on the bed, and there was a calendar in there that was I think nineteen fifty forties or fifties or something like that that hadn't been changed, and they were just, you know, what is this? What happened here? They went around looking to see if there was like maybe a secret room or secret panel that somebody had gotten caught behind and couldn't get out. And then on the way back out of there, they stopped at the little general store and they asked the clerk there about that old house up in the woods where it was, and they said, he got the strangest look on his face and then wouldn't want to talk to him anymore. He's like, just take your stuff and get out of here. I ain't got nothing to say about that. So there was something that had happened there, But they went back at a later date and tried to find it, couldn't find it. Oh man, So you know what, what on earth was that order or a time slip or something there that people disappear and nobody around there would talk about it. I wish I knew more to that story, But that's that's all I know.
Speaker 1: About it, right, And and like I said, you know that just it adds to the imagination and the curiosity, and that's just what makes it so fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, Well, we got another story you could share with us. I'm loving you the storyteller.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's like I said, it's a blessing to be here. Bro Uh, yeah, I got one. I said, it's a pretty funny one. Uh kind of change it up a little bit, as uh Paul told me. Someone said, you used to know this old feller. He said, back in the old days. You know, they said that. You know, back then, they weren't nothing to do back in the mountains, you know, other than working every day. And he said, you know, if there was anything to do, he was either drinking, making something to drink, or playing little music. He said, that's about it, you know, he said, other than the occasionally, you know, he said, going to preaching or you know occasionally you know they'd have a shen dig. You don't have much to do, you know. Well, he said there was just one old feller. He said, everybody in town know and said the old feller said it was the biggest you know. Said he was always drunk, you know, said good old feller, you know, best failure you'd ever meet in your life. But said, if you've seen him, he was either drunk or on the way. You know, one of them kind well said they all got together one time. I'm today's having this beach of dude and stuff, you know, and said, then't naturally said, and they said everywhere he went, said he had this old dog he called Ben Sody. Everywhere he went, Ben was with him, they said, a lot of times he be on side of the road somewhere passed out. Said Ben be sitting right there with him. You know. Well said days out there you know what to do, you know, and he said a lot of people, you know today's playing music and stuff. Said it weren't long everybody brought out the shine. You know, well said the women folk had got around, you know, and had a little bitty bottles there, you know, and said they had took peppermint and crushed it up and put it in there, and they went around having the menfolk filling it up with moonshine a little bit, and said they put that up for the wintertime for use for medicine. You know. Well said that after you know they've done that, make sure the women folks got to what they needed. Said he. You know, it went for the celebrating, Well, they said, theary come here. Everything grin like a toothy possible, you know, he said. He started drinking, you know stuff. Everything ain't going on, well, he said, he leaned no worse. The poor fellow had a pair of overhauls. They said it was about three times too big for him to begin with, and said he leaned over, and said he leaned over, and he leaned over on a mew and said that old mule took off, and Calty's overhaul gallass and everything. Said it drugg you about six foot and said he rolled and rolled almost plumb. Abby's overalls. Said everybody was a life in the carrying on, slapping their legs and stuff. Say he stands up, pullsies overhauls back up and everything Pixie's had up, slapped it on his head and said that's it being you're sleeping in the floor tonight.
Speaker 2: Too funny. Yeah, that that pops called moonshine. I've heard some interesting stories about the fact that that has on people. And I heard somebody one time saying, if you take a nightcrawler fishing worm, put it in a glass of water, it lives, but you put it in a glass of moonshine, it'll die. And he said the moral of that story is if you drink moonshine, you'll never have worms.
Speaker 1: That's for sure. Well, that's like a lot of folks, you know, you could tell that you know, Mike, in the old days, you know, they'd run out of gas or something. You know, they put a little shine in there into gas tanks and everything, and it'd run on it for a little while. Toll they get it some gas. A lot of folks won't believe that.
Speaker 2: I don't doubt that's pure great alcohol. Yeah, that's how it will still blow up. I saw a house one time that was back in the sixties. I think that was out in rural Knox County where a guy had a still in an old house and it blew up and leveled that place. I mean, there wasn't nothing toothpicks.
Speaker 1: Lord.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be dangerous, but I wouldn't care for it. I knew the guy that lived up the edge of the smoke, he's there, that had a steal up there and brought it back into the Knoxville and delivered it. And they saw all they could make. You know, the people wanted it. That the moonshine and the legendary, and they've got stuff now that you can buy that they call moonshine.
Speaker 1: But it ain't it ain't quite saying.
Speaker 2: Here's some horror stories of guy. My brother went to high school with got a hold of some moonshine they'd been made in an old radiator, and.
Speaker 1: It killed them, and oh, man, mercy. Yeah, I've heard folks talk about that, you know, where they really didn't know what they's doing, you know, real bad or anything, or made it incorrectly or just cheap, made you know, curse something like that, you know, with the radiator and you know people going literally going blind from it, stuff like that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just never never wanted to try it. Never had a taste for alcohol anyway. But I certainly wouldn't drink anything like that.
Speaker 1: That's me, man, I said. Back when I was real young and everything growing up and full of vinegar and everything, you know, I drank my fire share by I drank like a fiche out of water. But when I got older and got married and started having young's and my own stuff everything, I just give it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I figure I've got a little enough sense as it is. I don't want to do anything to make me have less.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: Drank a little bit when I was in college. I spit one quarter at a dorm and that was a mistake. And we used to drink malt liquor and the evenings, drink it to a straw because it taken effect quicker. And that was a student meal. Back then, there was a little convenience store there at University of Tennessee right the edge of it where you could get a quarter of malt liquor and two packs of rawmen for a dollar. That was you know, when you're on a student budget. That was an evening's entertainment.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Rather and uh just never got a taste for it. I said, I knew some people that just get just snot slinging drunk, you know, and and hungover and all that, and then talk about what a good time they Hadn't sound like a.
Speaker 1: Good time to me, Yeah, I said, I've I've seen people, you know, like you say that, you know, drank till they pass out, and you know, as soon as they wake up, they're looking for another drink.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I just that ain't for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's an affliction. And I've known people like that too, that were blackout drinkers.
Speaker 1: That would drink Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Have no idea what they've done, where they did it or anything. Yeah, wake up in jail, not even know how they got there.
Speaker 1: Or Yeah, I had cousin that he said. He said, got drunk. He said, is that somebody's house? And he said, next thing I know, I'm waking up in jail, thinking, oh Lord, what have I doing.
Speaker 2: I heard a guy tell a story one time he drank like that, woke up in somebody's house and the kids were sitting there. But two little kids are sitting there playing Nintendo. Said he looked around and they had a family picture hanging there. He said, well, that's these two little kids, but he didn't recognize the man or the woman. And the kids like, uh, well you're awake now you won't play some Nintendo. He's like, nah, I guess, I guess I better get on down the road left, And still had no idea whose house he was at, or how he got there, nothing about the circumstances, but just woke up on the couch. That that'd be scary as hell to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like anything like that, Oh mercy me.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's great having you out here. I love hearing you tell these stories, and your YouTube channel is just an absolute delight. You've got so many stories from from Appalacha over there. Like I said, some of them are scary. Some of them are just the kind of touching and poignant. There's there's a little bit of everything over there. How long have you been doing your.
Speaker 1: Channel, Well, I've been on YouTube for about four years now, but I've been doing the Apple Actian stuff for almost two.
Speaker 2: And that seems to really caught on that. That's there's a lot of people, especially out away from there, that have never heard those hotels and find it hard to believe, you know that people used to live like that still do. I mean, I can take you places right now that don't have electricity and runoff up in Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had a lot of folks holler at me and tell me say, you know, if you ever get up to you know so and so away, let me know. You know, I can take you back in o Hall and where some folks still live like it and you know, drink from whale and stuff like that, and I like, shoot, I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's my dream. One day I'd like to end up out in the woods in Maine, somewhere in the cabin, just as far away from people as I can get. My wife's the same way. We just we prefer our own company. And even though I have YouTube and have all the fans and everything, all that subscribers. I'm not really a people person. I just started enjoying my privacy, you know. That's that's to me that I share with people, and then the rest of the time I like to be left alone. I read a lot, write a lot, study a lot. I've been on a real book writing bench. Hearey. I couldn't even tell you right now. I'd have to stop and think how many books I got out there. I think it's like eighteen or something, and I'm still working on more. Writing one about my maternal grandmother, and that one's a mess. It's just all over the place because she, you know, she was a fortune teller and they were out of that the spiritualism movement from around the turn of the last century. My mom was born nineteen twenty seven. When she was a little girl in the thirties, they still had seances and table tappings and all kinds of stuff. That was just their normal. They didn't know any better, right. But then the seventh son, my uncle, became a Baptist preacher, and then they all got religion and threw away the wageboards and the stopped at the table tipping in the seances and stuff like that. But I loved hearing those old stories and a lot of it they were just ready to talk about because they felt silly, you know, after they didn't do it anymore. But at the time, my dad was a scientist. He grew up, said over there in Finriance County, but seventeen years old, moved to Knoxville and started going to the University of Tennessee and then ended up working at oak Ridge National Laboratory. And he would talk about that. When he and my mom first got married. One of the first times I think that she took him to visit up there. He said they were having one of their table tapping sessions or table tipping, whatever they called it. He said, they sounded like the biggest bunch of heathens. He said, they're sitting in a circle around that old table. Rise, table, rise, Rise, And he said, I tried every way in the world to figure out what was doing it. He said, nobody had their foot under the leg of it. They didn't have any wires or anything attached to it. Nobody had rulers up their sleeves and making it rise, he said. But that old table, he said it would tip up, it would rise, and they talked about one time they took one of the grandkids and put them up as an old farmhouse type table. Put the kid up on it and to that table tried as hard as it could to raise up, but with the extra weight of that kid on there, it couldn't do it. But said it creaked and groaned and shuddered. Well, what do you think something like that is? What's your opinion on the supernatural? What do you think's out there?
Speaker 1: Well, like I said, I've always kept an open mind about, you know, pretty much everything, and I've often wondered, especially you know, when it comes you know, like the stuff like that, you know, the table tippers and stuff everything. You know, I've often wondered if it weren't a mix of you know, a lot of stuff. You know that some things you know, maybe like a little bit of it they could do, but they just amped it up, you know, to kind of draw into you know, bigger crowds and more people you know, and stuff everything because you know, back then, you know, you did what you had to do to make money. You know, you had to feed your family. And like I said, I've offered wondered do you some of the things like you said, you know that they couldn't explain how they did it, you know if some of the things they really could do, they just added more to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, made it a little more theatrical, more of a show. And that was that basically describes a spiritualism movement. That was where you had all these fake mediums, you had the spirit photography and people, you know, just vacant stuff. It's downright factory. There used to be a place there in Gallenburg. I made a video about it called Hauntings on the Parkway and they take it in there, tilled about maybe twenty or thirty people in this laudatorium and they put on an old fashioned spook show, a spiritualism show. And one of the things they would do they would take a medium and put her in a little cabinet that was made out of curtains and tire hands, and then they'd draw the curtain and then everything would start happening. The lights would go out, and then you'd hear tambourine, you'd see stuff coming out of the little box that she was in. Uh, And then the lights had come up, they whipped the curtain back. She's still sitting there supposedly in a trance with her hands tied. Was all a bunch of trickery. And they had people dressed in black costumes like on a watch car, like black skin tight stuff with a mask over their face. You couldn't see them. They're running around in the dark, shaking tambourines and throwing going the dark, ping pong balls and stuff. But I could see how back in the day, people that didn't know any better would would see something like that and think that they were in the midst of those spirits manifesting. And I'm not saying that they can or that they don't, but there was a lot of trickery, a lot of fakery out there, and people like Houdini, he spent his life, the later part of his life exposing those Oh yeah, the book ectoplasm and the automatic writing and some of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, I said, there's a bunch of it.
Speaker 2: But the thing was my grandmother and them, they they didn't do it for a crowd, or do it for show, or do it for money. Well, my grandmother told fortune she wouldn't wouldn't take any money for it. Now, if somebody wanted to give her something, might give her, you know, a dozen eggs or basket apples or something. She would take a donation like that. But she said, you know, if I have a gift, and what if you have a gift, you give it away. You can't charge for it. She said, what the buildings I have, they would be taken from me. I started charging people for it.
Speaker 1: And it's kind of the old mountain healers, you know, it's like me. You know, I'm a part of that, you know, the faith healing everything. Uh, you know, I was taught how to you know, it was passed down to me. Have to start blood and everything. But for something that can you know, they can take you know, buy warts or something. You know, they can talk to fire out of somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard people that could blow fire out, people that blow warts off. My grandmother got rid of a ward that I had on my thumb. Was she had me rub some gravel on it, and then she told me to take those gravel and put them where somebody would walk over them. And whoever walked over those gravel got my warrant or warp went away. I don't know if anybody else got it or not. I don't know if I just you know, the power of belief or mind over mad or what. But it was and she knew things that she didn't have any way of knowing, right that. That used to amaze me.
Speaker 1: But I said, and that's one thing they told me, you know, I said, when I was taught, when it was passed down to me, that was the number one thing. And they told me said, never charge nobody. You know, it's a gift from the Lord, you know, they said, so you know, if you start using it for anything like it, start charging, it can be taken away from you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that was that was her exact words. You know that she had even prayed that if what she was doing was wrong, for it to be taken away from her. And she said it came on or even stronger after.
Speaker 1: That, right right. And you know a lot of the no halers, you know, you know, anybody that was you know, a part of the you know, the old healers or anything like that. You know, they would tell you first hay and straight out you know they're not the ones doing it. It's the Lord working through them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. My brother, the only sibling I had, he was seventeen years older than me. Like I said, I was a latent life baby. He became a Pentecostal minister and they had a healing and deliverance ministry, and you know, he believed in it what he was doing. That's what he'd say. He said, I'm just a vessel that God works through me. And I've been to some of those healing services and seen stuff happen. You know that just that's not supposed to happen, but it does. And that's the power of the Almighty there who worked with those people. And some of the delivering stuff. I didn't stick around for that. They cast demons out of people and stuff like that, And I thought about that part in the Bible where Jesus cast the demons out somebody and they went into the swine. The swine cast themselves into the sea. I thought, well, when those demons come out of there, they're going to go somewhere, and I don't want it to be in the I wouldn't hang around for stuff like that. But he had stories, Jared, that would make your toes curl. Stuff, stuff that he came up against. And I asked him one time about ghosts of the supernatural and things like that. He believed in it. He said, when Christ reappeared after the resurrection, he said to his disciple, he said, it's me. I'm not a ghost. And he said, why would Jesus reference something that didn't exist. And another thing, he said that everything that we considered the natural world, he said, that was all spoken forth out of the supernatural. If you believe the Bible, he said, the laws of nature and physics and science things that he said, those are man's laws to measure the environment the world that we live in. He said, but those laws don't apply to God. God can do anything that's right. And that made the most sense of anything I've ever heard as far as an explanation for the supernatural and how things can happen. Even my dad, being a scientist, he would say, well, there's things that this aren't supposed to happen. That he said, even in the laboratory, we had anomalous things happen, things that we could not get it to repeat, you know, under controlled conditions, it would do something one time and then they could never get it to do it again, and the rest of the time it behave like it was supposed to. Right. So there's so much out there that we don't understand. And it's like you're talking about people that have these abilities and stuff. I think that is something that's born into us, and it's been taught out of us if you will that, Oh that doesn't work or you can't believe in that. But back in the day, you know, those people, they got along somehow, And I think things like being able to know things over a distance and things like that, that was just something an inate ability, a trade if you will, that we were born with. But it's been convenienced out of us with all the worldly stuff that you know. Now everything's instant everything instant gratification. You have TikTok and stuff like that. And lucky to hold people's attention for two or three minutes. I had somebody come at me in the comments not too long ago, like, why have you got a twenty five second intro on here? What do you think this is television? Well, you know, I have production values. I do it like a TV. I have an introduction, tell you what I'm going to talk about, then I talk about the cases, then I have a conclusion in an outro that's just you know, the way I do. You can't sit through a twenty five second intro then my channel ain't for you, you know. But that's the amazing thing to me about your channel is just the sheer number of stories you've been able to collect. Now, last night I did a Halloween Lives term that's my birthday, my dog too, oh birthday, Well, thank you? And uh, I read some listener stories and things and read an old story of a book that was one of my favorites as a kid. Did you do anything special for Halloween on your channel? Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did it, But I did it Monday. Uh. I did a stream because a lot of my folks I was on a previous dream, you know, before Halloween. Everybody's talking about you know, having to you know take the kids trigger treating or their grandkids or something, you know, and I thought, well, probably won't be a lot of people on. So I did a Halloween stream Monday, you know, told some more stories and things like that. And then on Halloween last night, I uploaded the video that was originally for channel members only, but I thought, you know what, it was kind of spooky and everything, so I uploaded in that was my newest upload.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, Monday night, I did h disappearances people that went missing on Halloween and I premiered that late because I knew other people that were doing shows and things. I think we premiered it like at eleven PM, and I had almost two hundred people in there at eleven o'clock on a Monday night. I was amazed at the premiere and it did well afterwards. And then last night I did my Halloween stream at eight o'clock. Figured up, at least on the East coast, the trigger treating was over with. But I even had people in the chat say I'm out trigger treating with my kids right now listening on the phone. Had a good time. I'll have to get back over there to look and see what you did on Halloween. I am a subscriber and I'm also a memory of your channel. I like being able to support what you do over there.
Speaker 1: Well, God bless you, brother, I sure do appreciate that, sure enough, because I said, when I first started this, I thought, Lord, you know, I love those stories and love telling them. You know, I thought, but shoot, ain't nobody going to listen to a you know, old was countable with hell stories, you know. And after I got to tell him some, you know, I run into uh Donny Laws and got to look at him his channel and everything, and I was like, welly, he does pretty much samething I do, you know. And I got to on him and all the time I me and he was gonna become pretty good buddies, you know. He got to tell me, you know, give me some tips and stuff, you know about my ed and and everything you ought to make him a little better and everything, you know. And it's just been an amazing journey. And I've met literally I've been blessed with being able to meet some of the most amazing people you know, you included, and it's it's it's it really is a blessing. And I've always said that the Good Lord lets everything happen for a reason. There's a reason for everything. We may not know the reason now, but there's a reason for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, a lot of stuff you don't realize it until hindsight, retrospective, and sometimes not even then. That's the way I feel, Uh was missing person stuff And I'm doing not something that's been laid on my heart to do, and the Lord has blessed us to allow us to continue to do this and grow like we have. But I've always said that if I bring one person home or give one family closure. Then I'm doing what I need to be, doing what I feel called to do it. It's been laid upon me as a calling. I'll always focus on the missing. Now I do this spooky stuff and things like that too, but I like being the missing, the missing stuff to be my primary focus. And yeah, you're talking about learning. I'll just I didn't know anything when I started out. I just like I said, I just kind of fell into it backwards. And I wanted to be a part of the horror narration community and I thought, well, I'd like to have a channel. And I thought, well, what would I narrate? Where do they get their stories? And I thought, well, dummy, you've got At that time, I had three books, and I want to read stories out of your books. So I started doing that and it just kind of grew from there. But yeah, we do everything in house. My wife writes for me, and then I do the of course, they were the narrating, recording, the audio editing, and then I put the videos together and handle all the stuff on the back end. She produces a lot of stuff for me, but she's the most incredible writer this old Hillbilly's ever.
Speaker 1: Seen, got she got some talent, two.
Speaker 2: Master's degrees and almost a third. Never been married, no kids, no bad habits, match made to heaven. She thinks I hung the moon. She's twenty two years younger than I am. So God has blessed me.
Speaker 1: Well, sorry, that's a blessing rap there all on its own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but just just you know, hang in there, don't settle, and God's got planned for you out there. And I love it. I mean I love what I do. Uh, this YouTube has been my job for the last oh four or five years anyway, between that and the books, you know, I haven't had to work a regular job, a public job in years. And then that's a blessing to not have to punch a clock or oh yeah, I did a lot of you know, tech support. I did that sort of thing, and that I worked in call centers doing technical support. And that's that's a meat grinder, take eighty ninety one hundred calls a day, you know. I just I don't see how I did it, and glad that I don't have to do it anymore.
Speaker 1: I hear that, brother, Well, you know, and that's one thing too, you know, I said I found you, I come across short Town. You know, it was months and months ago, and I said, I the first video, I was hooked, you know, and I got to watch and everything, and I thought, you know, it's a blessing what you're doing. It really is, because you never know when you're going to upload a video or one of your previous videos get watched by somebody and they're like, hey, I've seen this person.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah exactly. And I started doing lives on Friday nights or I do current missing person cases, and Nicole really digs in and researches on those and make sure that you know that we're not putting any bad information out there. The person hasn't been found yet, and uh, I mean we have stuff that's just people have been missing two or three days sometimes you know, that's it's still fresh. They're still out there, and like you said, somebody might say, hey I saw that guy at the gas station, or hey I saw that teenage girl at the bus stop. I better let somebody.
Speaker 1: Know, right.
Speaker 2: So again, it's just we do what we feel like we're being led to do, and you can't go wrong if you're doing that.
Speaker 1: Amen to that, brother, because like I said, you never know when you're gonna bring a family back together, or bring a loved one back or find somebody's you know, missing jilt, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just I mean that would have to tear your heart out. I can't imagine. I mean enough that they're found deceased and then you know they have a grave or ashes or something that way, but that not knowing you know, whether they're alive or dead, or they hungry, are they cold? Are they in trouble? Has somebody got them? And like a lot of these runaways, you don't know that there's necessarily still a runaway. I mean, you run away and then somebody abduct you went from bad to worse. So like spreading the word, keeping you know, names and faces out there and try to like I said, if we bring one person home or give one family closure, then that's what we're supposed to be doing.
Speaker 1: Amen of that, brother, But.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you watching the channel and put a lot of work in on it. And people don't realize how much work goes into some of these YouTube videos and so like you, you actually do it and you think they're gone. You know, this is as you got to make sure, especially with missing persons or anything like that that's based in things, actual events and actual life. I have some people, and I've had the families of some of these people come in and watch the videos and say thank you, you know, for putting my daughter or my sister, my brother, my parents out there.
Speaker 1: And that's what makes it all work there right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah and yeah, just those people. You know. I want to be a voice for those that no longer have a voice. And that's the other thing. God has blessed me with a voice that people like to listen to. I don't hear it myself. I've never liked the way I said I did. I'm just educated, he'll billy and but people say, you know, I listened to you to go to sleep, or I've got chronic pain, I've got PTSD, i've got fibromyalgia, I've got panic and anxiety disorder. Your voice calms me down. I like to listen to you. So you know, God bless them, and He's blessed me with a voice. Again. He's given me a gift, and I turn around and give it to everybody else. So say, I've listened to you, read the phone book or cereal box. Yeah I got Yeah, I just I've got the gift to gab. My dad used to accuse me that I could talk until I thought of what I wanted to say, and that probably ain't far from the truth.
Speaker 1: Oh but you know, I'd rather be around somebody like it, if somebody that don't locked out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, somebody that's and that's the way I used to be. There was a time when I was so introverted. I've run into people that went to high school with and say, I went to high school with you for four years and you never said a word. You were stuck up, too good to talk to the rest of us. I'm like, no, I wasn't. I just shy and backward. You I didn't know what to say, right. I didn't have any confidence, any self confidence or anything, and just kept myself to myself. And now here I am, you know, get hundreds of thousands of views every twenty eight days, and I just it's amazing, you know, the things that can happen, and you know it's it's because of the Internet and this blessing that's all. You know. I've got listeners in all over the world, Australia, Canada, the UK. October is always a busy month for me. It's spooky season. Everybody wants me to come on and talk. And I've been on shows throughout the country and on the UK. Used to go on to Clyde's show, Clyde Lewis's show as a guest. I knew him from Portland. I've been in his studio before live and well night, I was having a bad dream and I woke up and this oriented and all shook up. And I looked at my email and it was his producer, Ron Patt, and He's like, how'd you like to have a show on the ground zero radio network. Me and Clyde been talking and I love it and I've got them out of the lurch. Before too, they'd have a guest cancel and Ron would get a hold of me. If it's something I knew enough about that I could go on and talk, I'd go on and do it, or I'd at least try to find him. So because I know everybody, you know one of those people and only met a stranger one time and set of a lot of guests and stuff, and you know, they remembered me, and I'm happy to be That's been one of my dreams is to be on the radio. And here I am just turned sixty years old yesterday and I've got a radio show. I love it. Man, just as God is good, God has blessed me.
Speaker 1: Amen to that, brother, Amen to that. You know, years ago, I'm guessing neither one of us would dream where we're at.
Speaker 2: No idea. And I wanted to be like a radio DJ, you know, disc jockey. And there was a trade school there in Knoxville called the National Academy of Broadcasting. I'd made plans to go there since I was like ten eleven years old, and I swear the week the week I graduated high school it closed its doors forever.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: But I ended up going to University of Tennessee and I was going to major in communications there and some of the courses that you had to take high functioning autism. I'm an aspy and I have a mild number dyslexia, and anything to do with math or anything like that, it's just it doesn't click with me. Even I was talking to the guidance counselor and I said, you know, don't want to do this, and he was laying out the coursework and radio wave propagation and how towers work and the equipment. I'm like, dude, I don't want to build a radio station. I said, I just want to sit in front my talk right right.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, when I was in school, I always like, I said, I love to talk, and I'd be in class or something like it. You know, I'd be talking to my buddies or something like that and everything, you know, and my teacher told me, I said, I was always the one they told me that would never amount to nothing.
Speaker 2: YEP. I used to hear that. I ended up majoring in English because I liked writing and wanted to write. But for the type of books I write, that that's overkill. A freshman opposition class, maybe a creative writing class just to learn dialogue and things like that, and a good thesaurus and a dictionary and maybe an ap style book. That's all you need. People ask me, you know, how do you do that? You just you sit down and just starts with the first word, the first sentence. And the trick I ask is, especially if I'm writing fiction, Okay, what happens next? I tell myself the story and then go back through the edit and tell everybody else I love it. I can't not create I can't not write. I've got the YouTube channel, I've got the radio and I've got several YouTube channels. I got the radio show. I've got a blog that I'm doing where I put stuff out. I've published all these books, and now my publishers decided they won't be to do audiobook excuse me, audiobook versions of my own books. And then since I've started doing those, they've come to me and say, well, how'd you like to do the audio versions of these books? I'm doing West and uh, I don't even read the Westerns, but you know, I'll give it a shot. I think I can know how they partner Louis lit Moore and Zane Gray or that kind of stuff. It's in that vein, but it's modern, newly read and stuff. But uh, I'm having the time of my life. Man. It's just hanging. I mean there was time a few years ago. I was never suicidal or anything, but I didn't care whether I lived or died. My family was gone. I've been there just kind of you know, dark knight of the soul there. But Gods, I just hang on, you know, And now now here I am married, I got all this stuff going on. Started my own publishing company. The happiest I've ever been.
Speaker 1: And uh, well bless.
Speaker 2: You too, brother. Just hang in there, keep fighting the good fight. Good things are coming in. I'm excited to go into a book venture with you, Jared.
Speaker 1: This will be me too, man, because I've always wanted to do it, but never had the means or the know how or anything. I can't so as again, everything happens for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh, I'll be happily happy to mentor you and guide you and help you in that respect as your publisher and as your friend. I've had several Amazon bestsellers, so I don't know how to do it. I couldn't teach a class in or anything, but I know a few tricks.
Speaker 1: Well shoote yeah, brother, anything will be a blessing, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Good deal. Well, we're gonna have to wrap it up here pretty soon. They only give me two hours. We're just getting started. But before we go, would you bless us with one more creepy story from Appalachia?
Speaker 1: I sure can, brother. Here's the one I told other not said. There was an old witch lived up in the hills of Pennsylvania. And now they said that this old woman said that the funny thing was, said everybody in them heels, you know know what everybody else, you know, But they said this woman, her and her cabin. They said, it was just almost like they just appeared overnight. And said that she would you know, said you weren't mean or anything like that. But they said that she was just kind of odd acting, you know. Says she even told people she was a witch, you know, but said that they just didn't want to go around her or anything like that, you know, and said oftentimes, you know, they said she'd be standing out there, you know, in the distance, you know, just staring at him or something. You know. Well, they said, one day she went down to the general store down there and said she was telling the old general store owners. She said, I know who wants my treasure, and naturally they didn't know what in the world she's talking about, you know. She said, well, I'm telling you I know who it is. I know exactly who wants my treasure. They ain't getting it. Well, said it went on. Everything said not long after that, said she was out of picking berries one morning and said she fell off a little ledge air and heart her help. Well, today's old feller out there, you know, squirrel hunting, you know, because that's how they used to you know, feed your family and stuff. You know, if you wanted to hunt, you wanted to eat, you know, you hunted fish for it or grew it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Well, anyhow he was out there hunting and he's he run up on her. Well, he got her, helped her back to her cabin there. Soon as he got her back, she run him off. Said you stay away, you got one out of here. You ain't getting my treasure neither, you know. Well said that it got to where she couldn't, you know, mister her hip hop. She couldn't do nothing. So said she couldn't guard her land or whatever treasure she was talking about or anything. So they said she conjured up something that would said all the old timers stuff said. They called it old Rod said, because that's about how it looked and how it smelled. They said, this thing had bone sticking out you could see, had an old what it looked like like a brown like cloak like thing. And said it just just kind of mos it around, you know, just back and forth, you send. They walked all night and all day. And that's one thing too about that things you know. They said that it would stare at you, and said it would give you the feeling that you've been watched, you know, and said if somebody would trespass on her land, you know, or anything hunting or whatever, they said, it'd just show up out of nowhere, you know, and just charge at him, you know, run them off, you know, and everything. And so I said that eventually, you know, time in the old days, like it does with everybody called up to her. She passed on. But it was said that she didn't release him from his duties. And they say now that he roams the hills there, but not only there. She weren't there to tell him to stay in that area. So they say now the old rot roams all through the hills throughout the old apple Atian Mountains. So if any of you folks are ever out in these old mountains, were in the woods camping or just on a hike or just out on a walk, you ever get the feet and you're beingtched, maybe smell a dead animal, keep your eye out, just might be Old Rod.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a great story. You gave me. Chills there, Jared, because I've had that happen. I've been out and feel like something was out there watching me. Old rot was what was what I was experiencing. Love those stories, and uh, I'll have to have you back sometime. I want to get into more the the not only the hands and the boogers, but the witches too. My granny, even though she claimed to be a witch, she didn't like other witches because things could your your your stuff could get be witched. She'd call it. Oh yeah. She told me a story one time about somebody that their cows went dry, and uh, out in the woods, they come across an old one and that had built a fake cow and effigy out of sticks and limbs and was milking it, and milk was coming out of the stick utters that had had on it. And her husband went out there and didn't shoot the woman, but shot above her head with a shotgun, and she run off and they tore that stick cow apart, and then their cows start giving milk again. There's all kinds of weird stuff like that out there that oh yeah or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I take old dish ragness and they take an axe and hit it and milk it like an utter yep, And uh, I could do a whole segment on Witches.
Speaker 2: Witches Night. Then we have a good uh looking forward to it. Well again, Jared, thanks for being my guest here on Uh. We're actually recording this on All Saints Day, the day after Halloween. But I think the veils still thin out there. In fact, people I know that are into it things like that. They said, it's not only finn this time of year, of course, but it's getting thinner all the time. There's something going on, something about to happen.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's very possible.
Speaker 2: The world's changing. But again, your YouTube channel, get Jared, let me start that over again. Your YouTube channel, Jared King TV. Go over there, subscribe, become a channel member like I am. You won't be disappointed. If you want to hear some stories from southern Appalachia. It's like remember the old fox Fire books. It's like that series come to life. I think I would liken it to that.
Speaker 1: Well, like I said, I welcome everybody in. It's ken folk. I go live on Wednesdays and Sundays at eight pm Central Standard time, and everybody's welcome in. I treat everybody as family, and I said, we just come in. Sometimes I'll tell the stories sometimes they get to run in my mouth and we just end up talking the whole time.
Speaker 2: A good time to be had by one and all. Once again, thanks for being here, and I'll leave links and how to get to you in the show notes. God bless you. You have a good evening and I'll be talking to you soon.
Speaker 1: Sounds good, brother, have a good one.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve Stockton and I'll see you a little farther on down the trail. Have a good night.