Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBS Boston Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much to Coleboy. That is a loser matchup tonight in Texas. Neither of those two teams have any threat to go to the super Bowl, but hey, we have all sorts of threats here tonight on Nightside. We will first of all talk about full great topics during this hour, and then at nine o'clock when I talk about memory loss issues for people of all ages, including the young, by the way, and then speaking about memory loss issues, we will be talking at ten o'clock tonight about the decision by the Biden administration to finally allow Ukraine some long range missiles. What reaction will that elicit from Vladimir Putin. I actually have a theory that I'm going to run by you at ten o'clock. I don't think it's outrageous, but it's one that some of you probably are going to be very skeptical of. I'm wondering if we we got a kind of a bad cop good cop going thing here with Vladimir potent, and maybe maybe Joe Biden and Donald Trump are coordinating on this. I'll explain, But first of all, I have to introduce myself. I'm Dan Rayam the host of Nights out here every Monday through Friday night from eight until midnight. As the Great Nicole Davis just indicated, Rob Brooks, our great producer, is back in the control room in Broadcast Central headquarters, and we're ready to talk a little baseball. We're going to introduce you to David Hunt. He's the president of Hunt Auctions. David Hunt, you're talking to a big baseball fan. Welcome, How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm great, very very pleased to be here.
Speaker 2: Where are you guys located? I don't recognize the area code. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We are based in Philadelphia. Outside of Philadelphia, and then we traveled to do different events across the country, just like the Louisville.
Speaker 2: Event that just occurred. Oh gotcha. Okay, so you have now the Ted Williams auction. You also have a Super Bowl auction coming up. We'll talk talk about that. But obviously we're in Boston. We're based in Boston, and I saw Ted Williams play. I wasn't there for his final game on September twenty eighth, nineteen sixty, but I know who he hit his final home run off. I'm sure you do as well.
Speaker 3: Right, well, I mean you think about that iconic ass at that it just sums up really ted as a person, you know, not just as a baseball player, Like everything had to be excellence everything, whether it's tying a fishing fly, serving in two wars, you name it. It just he just always had to be the best. And quite frankly, many people think he was.
Speaker 2: All hit and hitting four h six one year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely along the way.
Speaker 2: So you have been able to procure i believe from his daughter who passed away at a much too young age. Yeah, a lot of the memorabilia he's nineteen forty six. Marke League had a player award, the fifty eight Silver Slugger. First of all, how tough is it? And you know, I'd just sort of like to get a little look behind the scenes here. How tough is it to go to a family or to even get access to a family of a famous ballplayer baseball player, football player, hockey whatever, and say, hey, do you have Is that how it works? Do you basically just call them up and see what you what you can do? Or is it a little more sophisticated than that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a little it's a little different. You know, this is our thirty fifth year in business, and we've been really honored to work with hundreds of players, players, families, institutions, you know, you name it. We've been with working with Major League Baseball for twenty five years, the NFL for twenty years. And I'd be great fortune in the early two thousands to meet Claudia. She had actually come to us for some help on just some general you know, appraisal work and things of that sort. And you know, I've learned with players families we do not really cold call, if you will, or approach or do anything of that sort. We just sort of treat them as if they are our family, and if they need some assistance, they need another valuations, and most importantly, if they need a source that can be trusted to give them sound advice and what's in their best interest. And that's really the key, is that last part. We all have things from our family members, whether they are a baseball player, a plumber, or a radio announcer. And we don't keep every single thing that our families hand down to us. But famous athletes and entertainers of that sort I sort of help to interestingly and maybe not fairly frankly a different standard. So our goal is always to do it the way that's in the best interest of them and most importantly the legacy of the player. So when we were approached, you know, way back when it had nothing to do with selling anything. It was just being assistive to them, and we became dear friends, and also with her husband Eric and you know, conducted a really historic auction in twenty twelve at Fenway Park with the Jordy Ted Things partially benefiting the Jimmy Fund. It's just a wildly successful event and Claudia kept a lot of things or some things i should say, that were meaningful to her just for holding down the road. And as you mentioned, really just stunningly. Claudia passed away last year, just really tough, really tough situation at the age of fifty two, way too young. And so when we approached it was a little difficult, you know, because of the situation. But again with a portion of the things when Ted Williams Foundation and knowing that she would want these things out there for people to enjoy ment a lot to us and it means lots of the people that purchased them as well.
Speaker 2: And of course, when you have someone you know from the immediate family and you know what the awards are. I mean, that's right. You don't have to authenticate an autograph on baseball. That sometimes can be a little dicey. So with all of this, I assume there's a letter of authentical.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, that's a big, big help.
Speaker 2: When does when does this Ted Williams auction end? So? What when can people get a bid in some of these items? Not too many people are going to be able to bid on some of them, but there may be some things that people have a chance to bid on. When when's the auditor and when does it start? I don't know, maybe he hasn't even started yet.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a there's a couple of things that, you know, the main grouping of them were sold this past weekend either Louisville Slugger auction event, including the MVP award that set a record a world record for any baseball v MVP at five hundred and twenty eight thousand, the Silver bath Brook two hundred and seventy thousand, and then there were a lot of just sort of interesting and fun things for for people to bid on. Whether it's Ted Williams sign piece or a photograph or what have you. But you know, there, you are correct. There are other things and other objects from Ted's collection that will be sold over the period of the next I would say, you know, two or three months within within different auctions, so it will certainly take a bit of time. It was not all going to be in one auction, okay.
Speaker 2: And so if folks want to, we're going to talk about the super Bowl and say, if they wanted to find your website, give us the website.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you had to hunt auctions dot com right now you can see the results of the one from this past weekend with the couple of Marquee pieces, and then the future things post it will obviously of course be notified on there as well.
Speaker 2: Hunt auctions dot com. You know, one of my prize possession as a baseball that I had Ted Williams signed for me. I've got to be thirty years ago, so he signed it in my presence. What is the ball like that worth today? I'm guessing four or five hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's about right. And you know, I think that what you just mentioned is exactly why people are drawn to collect these items we get that question a lot, like why would somebody want this Roberts, somebody want that? You know, none of us or most of us, I should say, we're not privileged to be on that field playing between the diamonds there between the grid iron, you know, posts, and and so that attachment that we can get h to our athletes and to our heroes for all these generational pieces. And it could be something where your father or grandfather or grandmother or mother took you to a game and there's something you remember and then you wanted to meet that player down the road. So values value is very subjective. It's really worth what it's meant or what it means to someone. So when these pieces are sold, an awful lot of the time it's driven by emotion and what that particular item means to one person, and hopefully it's the auctioneer to more than one person, and that's how those prices get driven up and sometimes to record prices.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about the Super Bowl. I guess you have the Super Bowl auction coming up? Is that before, during, after, or all three of the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sure feels like all three. Yeah, it's a wonderful event to start twenty first year doing it with the NFL and NFL auction program, of which they give us pieces. One hundred percent of those persons go to NFL auction charities across the league, and then even the vintage items, it's sort of a program we started way back when. So if a player or just vnted items come in and are sold, a portion of those proceeds still go to unfauction charities. But we are down on site. This year will be in New Orleans, and we're there for almost two weeks setting up and preparing, and the event opens at the convention center that's related to the city. This year in New Orleans, where all the items are on preview and you know, hundreds of thousands of people come through of course at being the Super Bowl, and then it culminates with the live auction the day before the game actually Super Bowl Saturday, down in the city. So it's always an exciting event. It is certainly a very exhausting events, but it.
Speaker 2: Is I think most football fans remember that Butt Starr, I believe is the MVP of the first two Super Bowls, certainly quarterback. A Butt Star memorabilia that is going to be part since that's the first two Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: Funny you ask, Yeah, we actually have a very significant collection. A noted Midwestern collector passed away a couple of years ago, and he is He actually worked as an usher at Lambeau for Lambofield and Green Bay for a number of years, so he's got one of the most significant green Bay Packers questions has ever come up to auction pennance from the nineteen thirties. You know, there are Super Bowl programs signed by Bart Starr, both one and two, lots of game use pieces. So and you get into these iconic franchises, packers, you know, Chicago Bears and Atriots into their era, and it really is what's so fascinating and interesting about the NFL. There's such a wide reach there, both internationally and Nashally. When we go to the Super Bowl each year for this event, a lot of clients are flying from all over the world and they actually end up getting on things from US football team. So it's always interesting to see where the objects will go.
Speaker 2: Well. The NFL obviously has a great international footprint at this point, certainly in Europe, Mexico, last year in South America. David Hunt I really enjoyed our conversation and I may be in touch with you at some point. Thank you. I'm going to check out your website, that is for sure, and maybe I'll make a bid on something. Thank you so much for your time. Again, it's Hunt auctions dot com. Hunt like Hunt's name, but no relation. I'm sure Hunt auctions dot Com. Thanks David, thank you, good night, very welcome. When we get back, we are going to again have a very interesting guest, the founder of the Grand Kiev Ballet which is coming the Grand Kiev Ballet which is coming to Boston later this month. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Joining us now on Nightside. Great honor to have the founder and one of the principal dancers of the Grand Kiev Ballet, Alex Stoyanov. Alex I hope I came close on that pronunciation.
Speaker 4: Yes you did, right, Alexander, Alex Tenov, Yes.
Speaker 2: Alex Stoynoff, Yes, Okay, so it all comes together, okay for a Stoynoff. Okay, So tell us you coming to Boston and I've looked at the website and it looks as if it's a couple of shows later this month at the Emerson Colonial Theater.
Speaker 4: Is that correct, Yes, it's correct. Last time when it was in Boston, we showed Ballet Gazelle and we did sold out maybe three weeks before before the show. That's why this time we bring we bring your bringing for the Boston two different productions. One it's a Nutcracker and one it's Snow Queen. Snow Queen. It's the World Ballet premier and it's with new heirography, with new costumes, new decorations. It's something new for everybody. It's special for the United States.
Speaker 2: Wow, how how much does the Grand Kiev Ballet. Are you on the road all the time or do you spend back? Are you still at all performing? I can't imagine the circumstances that it must be like at home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, we are we are artists and we have artists life. We every time or in the hotel or on the road, and every time we live in uh, live in movement every time because on the stage and everywhere, because artists life it's too short. You know, our ballet dancers have a short stage life. Just till thirty eight years maybe. Uh, And that's why we every time try to live for like for full for not for full life. I think you understand me.
Speaker 2: How how big is the the entourage that that you travel with between dancers and and support staff. How how how large a group is we?
Speaker 4: Suprise?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know for now we have different groups and who dancing in different countries the same time in the same time. In the United States we have two groups. Two groups. It's thirty dancers and five people of five people from the technical stuff. And totally we have for now one hundred twenty dancers on different tours all around the world.
Speaker 2: Wow, now you're the founder of the Grand Keep Ballet. What what year did you You're you're still dancing, as I understand.
Speaker 4: That I'm still dancing, but I for now I am a little bit starts preparing to retirement because I am thirty seven. I think I have one more year for dancing on the stage. But you know, I need to work now more like in an administrative work with my computer, because it's really difficult to do all these you know, like schedules. It's really I'm waking up in the morning and I try to remember where is my team now? In which city and which country? And you know, it's a lot of questions now and it's difficult. So you know, I then danced a lot. I danced more than three hundred performances per year, and my body also a little bit tired.
Speaker 2: And it's it's you're not only your artists, but your your athletic artists as well. I mean you're in fine shape and condition. I could never have done what you have done. So tell me, do do the artists do you get a break during the year? Are they able to go home and see their family? Are you at this point out of the country until this horrific war ends?
Speaker 4: You know, afterwards started a lot of our dancers, a lot of took their family from Ukraine and now they're living in safety place like in Poland, in the United States, in other different countries because a lot of artists have children, and this is very important for us now have safety plays for the children and also for our artists. Our ballet students and the ballet artists have already fined some places for new work in the United States. In Europe, a lot of dancers who dancing with us here in the with the Grand q Ballet. They have families in Ukraine, but they try to support them. They every time send send them money. And you know a lot of our yeah, a lot of parents from our artists. It's this is not young people, and they don't don't want to don't want to move from Ukraine to another country. I think you understand. It's difficult another language. Friends. For young people, it's okay. For artists, it's good, but not for old people.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me just focus on Boston. It's at the Emerson Colonial Theater and there are two shows, the Nutcracker and the Snow Queen. Uh, and I believe it's let me make sure I had the dates here correctly. It's it's November twenty ninth and November thirtieth, so it's it's two show and that's it. Friday night the Nutcracker November twenty ninth, and then Saturday the Snow Queen, and that's it's it's not a long run where you're here for two weeks. So if they want to see the Grand Kiev Ballet, those are the two nights. Am I reading it properly? Correctly?
Speaker 4: Correct? Everything correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, and they can get their tickets through the Emerson Colonial Theater box office, and we wish you a great success here in Boston. I'm sure you'll be welcomed warmly and hopefully we can get this war over with so that your people and some people in Russia who are supporting you can stop suffering. So Alex stan I have a pleasure to have met you tonight over the radio.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. Thank you. I hope everybody will enjoy and enjoy our show.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they'll love them. I'm sure they'll love them. Thank you very much, Alex. Safe home, Okay, thank thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, when we get back, we're going to talk about something that most of us will be participating in in some form of fashion, of Thanksgiving dinner. I'm going to talk with Bill Dendy, who knows a lot about prices. The price for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner from last year to this is up nineteen percent. That's a huge increase. Hopefully it will not prevent any family from gathering around the table. We'll talk to Bill Dendy maybe about what can be done a little bit, and then we're going to follow on the food theme talking with doctor Shira Dorone about that call e Coli outbreak that believe at this point the scientists belief started from some organic carrots. We'll get to all of that, and then we will move on and talk about memory issues for people of all ages with doctor Andrew Budson, neurologists of Boston University. And then from ten to midnight, I'd like to talk about the latest development in Ukraine, which is at US now has authorized Ukraine to use long range missiles in their battle with Vladimir Putin and the Russian military. Back on Nightside right after.
Speaker 1: This Night Side with Dan Ray ONBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well about what's it ten days from now? I think, if I'm not mistaken yet, ten days from now, hopefully all of us will gather with friends and family for Thanksgiving dinner. This year, it's going to be more expensive with us, is Bill Dandy? Bill has been a guest before. He's someone who keeps an eye on the bottom line, that is for sure, and inflation has impacted. The average cost of food, drinks, to court, etc. For Thanksgiving has now gone up nineteen percent this year. Is that just from last year?
Speaker 6: Bill, that's a year over year increase, and that is a survey for lending Tree, and you will find various surveys out there showing that, you know, over the past five years, it's definitely more expensive. But we thought inflation was just about done. But for some parts of that things Giving feast, we haven't seen the low inflation rates of two and three percent. We're seen like eighteen and twenty percent. And for a lot of folks who were finan it difficult already to get by paycheck to paycheck, and cost of things have gone up twenty and twenty five percent over the past three years. This extra holiday of Thanksgiving can be a challenge for them to budget in because you know, we had the holiday of Thanksgiving, then we have the Christmas and Honka season where people want to do more for the people they care about, and a lot of folks find this to be one of the most financially stressful times of the year. And we're getting ready to get hit hard, as you say, in ten days as we start preparing for that Thanksgiving Peace.
Speaker 2: Now, Bill your financial strategy. It is just with Raymond James. We've had you on before. H what is it about Thanksgiving that is bumping up? I mean, I'm assuming that turkey. You know, even if you're cooking a turkey for six or eight people or who knows even more, has the that's the main dish. Well, I know some people have other main dishes, but turkey is what we what we mostly associate with Thanksgiving. Has the price of turkey gone up?
Speaker 6: Turkey has actually come down. Some turkey is a blessed but I remember turkey was really high price. You might recall a few years ago we had some shortages and supplies and some problems with what was the Avian flu, and turkey's broad as abundant, and so with the with the reproduction of the turkeys over the last few years, they have come down in price. Fresh turkeys down about sixty cents a pound, which is great. But the other things that we put on that table have not gone down. Things like our vegetables and our side dishes and our cranberries and decorations are up about twenty to twenty five percent from where they were a year ago, and more people are doing more decorations and other things when they throw a Thanksgiving party. In fact, for those making over six make it over one hundred thousand years six figure incomes, they're spending about five hundred dollars to put on a Thanksgiving dinner, and for some they're thinking that's just a little more than they want to do this year, so they're trying to find ways to cut the cost and to maybe go back to more of the basics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I would think that in a situation like that, where people are really finding difficult, then obviously it can. It can affect a lot of people, which we just saw in the election that a lot of people who normally would have voted for a Democratic candidate seems to have at least temporarily switched party affiliation. Assume that on the decorations, you can cut back a little bit and maybe use some of the decorations that are still around from a year ago. Because when I talk about Thanksgiving, I talk about, you know, I think the fiveps and see if I can get them, you know, food, family, fun, football, festivities. It's it's all about family and about having friends over. It's it's I think it should be the least stressful of all the holidays Christmas and Hanukkah and New Year's. There's a lot of stress involved in that because you've got to make sure you think of everybody Thanksgiving, you just say, Okay, who's coming over. Maybe someone will bring a bottle of wine or whatever, and you know, I don't know if people can can maybe take some of the pressure off of those some of the techniques people can use to sort of take some of the pressure off the people the people who are in.
Speaker 6: There, and that's exactly the party. You're right on target. I think that as guests we should be more in climb than ever before to show up with something, bring that bubble of wine, ask if you can do the sweet potato casse role or something else they may not have on the menu. Especially if you do something well, it's kind of fun to do the pop luck and to take some burden off the hostess. I think for a lot of families, mom always does it every single year and she's got it down. But to bring a combination of the desserts of the pies to the party is the way a lot of people are coping with it, and it actually makes it more like the original Thanksgiving, where you show up with what she can and make a feast out of what was already abundant around you. So I think you really actually get back into the heart.
Speaker 2: Of the.
Speaker 6: Spirit of being thankful and sharing and having that togetherness that you speak of. It does not have to break the budget. It should not be the beginnings of a stressful season. Thanksgiving should be the easier. One price of turkey is down, that's the main dish on the plate. We don't have to have four different types of sounds and ten different pies. It's possible to do Thanksgiving very elogantly, very fulfillingly by sharing the burden and doing it on a budget. And I think that's why a lot of people just are forced to do now that maybe we didn't have to do a few years ago, and that's been more responsible for the dollars we're spending. We want to get maximum use of those dollars. We know that things are costing more, and so I think it's just tying up and developing better habits, and Thanksgiving is one of those times we can certainly do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, if you think, as a guest, and we will be guests, what it would cost for you and your significant other, your spouse, your wife, your husband, and maybe a couple of kids to go to a restaurant you're talking about at a minimum. I think of like a couple hundred bucks, so bring a couple of extra pies or bring two bottles of wine.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, you'll be a pre shared by the host is even if they don't expect it. I said, let's not show up into handed this year. That's a big I mean, there's a clue to the world. And I think that's one of the things that is part of being a good guess. And I know a lot of our listeners are going to say, well, I never show up at the handed, I bring the flowers or something always, and others are going to say, what you're supposed to bring something? And I think it's that awareness that is important, and that's part of sharing the lave of Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: Absolutely good advice, Bill good financial advice. What's the market doing the last few days? It seems to be, you know, fluttering and uh, what what's causing the the the the negative returns in the last In the last week or so, I mean, the market took off. It seems to have.
Speaker 6: Why after the election results came out and they were so positively republican. Uh, the market loved it. The market was up a thousand points first day. Another found it was a good time because it looked like all the deregulation and the tax cuts that Trump had wanted to do will probably come to pass. The problem is over the past few days. In fact, in Dallas this week, I mean sorry, the end of last week, our FED chairman spoke and said, well, you know, all these things are inflationary in nature. If companies take more profit to the bottom line, to the tax cuts and our deregulation, this may prohibit the FED from lowering rates. Now, the Fed is said for twenty four months they're going to start lowering rates as soon as inflation looks like it's cooled off, and they lowered rates fifty basis points than in November, another twenty five basis points with the statement that they're probably going to keep lowering. But after the election things have changed. They're saying that the tax cuts and the deregulations are so and the tariffs are so inflationary in nature that they may not be able to continue to cut weights. So you had a market that originally had priced in the FED continuing to follow the path that they said that they were going to follow, and the reduction and taxes and the tariffs and the deregulation, and they felt party on this is a big positive time for the stock market. But then to get the comments that, oh, well, maybe we're not going to get the lower en of interest rates. Maybe rates are going to pause here and maybe go back up, and we may see inflation that was suddenly negative. And so it's kind of like watching the tide change and the wind is blowing from the opposite direction. The tide will usually win, but it sure has a lot of turmoil as to get that tide changing, and that's what's happening right now in the market in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Well, Bill Denny, we've got to too for out of you. We got Thanksgiving and also an overview of the market situation. The market was okay today, so hopefully it'll be better tomorrow. Bill Dendy, financial strategist at Raymond James, Thank you so much, my friend.
Speaker 6: God bless you.
Speaker 2: Right back at you, Bill, we come up. We're going to talk about another problem, and that's an E Coli outbreak. On a talk with doctor Shirah Doerome. She's the chief Infection Control Officer for Tuft's Medicine and hospital epidemiologist at Tuft's Medical Center. This supposed is related to organic carrots. We'll explain, or doctor Derome will explain. Will we come back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now, Back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Tony is Now. Doctor Shira Doerne apologized for the mis pronunciation in the first the first name, doctor Deron. How are you tonight?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 2: How are you? I'm doing all the better that I haven't had organic carrots in a long time. I don't think I've ever had organic carrots. But what's the deal here? Any idea where is this limited to? I hope it's not in New England?
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I'm looking at a recent map here and it looks like there has been one at least one case found in Massachusetts, and of course New York is sort of the most one of the most concentrated states now, so you know, I think we may find that there are some cases here in our area, and that is you know, that is how these things go. Once we realize that there is an outbreak, it can take some time to figure out how extensive it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, so E Coli is one of those outbreaks that no one wants to be involved with. Obviously, it's going to cause at a minimum, some gastro intestinal problems.
Speaker 6: Correct, that's right.
Speaker 5: You can have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. The diarrhea can be bloody. You might have fever, body aches, and insevere cases. You could need hospitalization due to dehydration, kidney problems, and some other sort of blood and vascular related problems. And that they are reporting that there appears to have been one death so far from this outbreak.
Speaker 2: How is it with all the controls that we have, you know, with the FDA and all of that, how is it that periodically that just was that that event with I think McDonald's about a month and a half ago, or with some of the onions and on some of the big mac burgers. How does this occur? You know, particularly in in in a root vegetable like a carrot, which I assume they simply pull out of the ground, wash and ship them off. How does that get started?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean there are so many different ways. Right When when we talk about a vegetable like this that is grown in the soil, the soil itself can become contaminated. So E Coli lives in the gut of humans and animals, and so if the soil gets contaminated with water runoff that has animals be seas in it. For example, you know all of the parents could be contaminated. It can also happen at any stage along the distribution and you know the packaging and and and distribution chain, and you know, a small contamination can really affect a large number of items.
Speaker 2: Now do we do they feel at this point they have some idea of the extent or is this something that they're going to have to watch now for a couple of weeks because more than there may be more people impacted. Are they able to are they able to tell when when there is an outbreak, how how many people report it, say in the first few days, which will give them an idea about with this out with this outbreak will ultimately end up? Or is it just they got to wait and see when the when the infections come in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know, it is a testament to our food borne illness surveillance system that we even know that this is all coming from a carrots. You know, that's pretty amazing if you think about it, because people are coming into urging cares and doctor's offices and hospitals with GI symptoms. All the time, and in this case, somebody you know, started to put two and two together and say, I think we might have a common source here, and they do this case control studies, what did people eat who are sick? What did people eat who aren't sick, and they realized that carrots were implicated. They're looking at carrots back to expiration dates of or fell by dates of September, you know. So this may have been going on for quite some time, but the key is now that all of the different brands that received carrots from the same you know company that grew them, they've been identified. And now those carrots are being pulled off of the shelves supermarkets, restaurants know not to use them anymore. People are being told to pick them out of their freezers and throw them out. Clean, clean your refrigerator, freezer where those carrots were, and that should lead to the end of the outbreak.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if if we can't be you know, prospective perspective, can we be retrospective. You said that some of these carrots were sell by dates in September. It's November, So did people lead these in the refrigerator or buy them, you know, in early September and they just started to eat them sometime.
Speaker 5: I mean it's probably probably, Yeah, we probably missed a lot of cases. And that's normal with an outbreak like this, because most people are going to have relatively mild infection and they're never even going to be tested for E. Coli.
Speaker 4: They're going to.
Speaker 5: Stay home feeling miserable for a few days and get better. And so it's only those really severe cases that even get tested and then and so it can take weeks to months to even notice that there's a contamination issue.
Speaker 2: In it, Okay, And so that's that's where you kind of cross reference and figure the commonality of a potential source. Here, you're asking people, what did you have in the last three, four or five days. I assume that's I'm not a scientist, but I assume that's what that's. And they plot, plot and shot that in a an ex axis and a y access and all of a sudden they say, Okay, here's here's what we have. Thankfully, this these sorts of outbreaks are not common. How fortunate are we in America compared to other countries? Do we just have a better reporting system and so therefore we know about them? And other countries, this stuff is going on more because they don't have a reporting system.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's right. It's two things. We have a great reporting system. So this particular kind of ecoli, when somebody in a doctor's office or a hospital test positive, the lab is required to notify the Public House Department, and so our public health department has these lab results coming in all the time, and then they can contact the people who have those infections and get on top of it very quickly. So that's our surveillance system that helps us get on top of outbreaks and stop them so that they don't keep going. On the other side of things, we do have very clean water here in the United States compared to many countries. We have water that is tested regularly and is generally not contaminated with fecal bacteria like E. Coli. And so, you know, both of those things make it so that that these types of outbreaks are uncommon and that they're squelched quickly when they do stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you, it's it's scary to think that just by eating you know, you think about organic anything, you pay a little more in the supermarket, but you just had that confidence factor that well, this I know if it's organic is going to be completely safe. And obviously we find out in this case this is not just regular carrots, it's organic carrots. So a word to the a word to the wise. And there's nothing that they when they ingested these carrots that these people would have known there wouldn't have a weird smell, any sort of a mold, or no physical presentation that maybe in retrospect people saying, why did I eat that carrot? I know it was midnight and I was hungry, and it didn't taste right, none of that right.
Speaker 5: That's a good point. You know, my husband's always smelling the food and then eating it, but in reality you cannot tell based on look, texture or smell when something is contaminated with these types of bacteria. The symptoms starts re afforded after eating it too. So a lot of times people will say assume that it's the last thing they ate or the thing they ate last night, when in fact you have to go back days to try to figure out what it was that made you sick.
Speaker 2: Wow, Like to Sira Jerome, thank you so much. The Chief Infection Control Officer for Tough Medicine and Hospital epidemiologists that Toughts Medical Center always enjoy revenue on It's been too long since we last talked. Thank you so much for your time tonight, and thank.
Speaker 4: You for much.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you so much. We'll talk again. Thanks when we get back. We're going to talk about another type of doctor. This is a neurologist. This doctor is an expert in memory loss. Now again, memory loss can be for young or old. Doctor Andrew Budson at Boston University, neurologist with all sorts of information on memory issues, this is one you want to pay attention to closely, whatever your age back on night side after this