Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, OH.
Speaker 3: KFI Radio. This is Mission Control Houston. Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 4: Station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call.
Speaker 3: How do you hear me?
Speaker 5: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 6: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 7: God landed and his name is Amy k.
Speaker 6: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 7: Scott's common let me Scott.
Speaker 8: Un well, good morning. This is your wake up call for is today?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, it's Thursday, November twenty first, I'm Amy King.
Speaker 8: Good good morning. Thanks for getting your day started with us. Today. We're having a little technical issue.
Speaker 1: I love to share this kind of stuff with you because I just plugged in my headphones because you may or may not know that we wear headphones so we can hear sound.
Speaker 8: Oh, we got it.
Speaker 1: I think Ann just saved the day and saved the day. The headphone that we plugged the jack into just like blew up.
Speaker 8: It would we couldn't hear it.
Speaker 1: Anything, but crisis averted because producer Ran came to the rescue. So we're good to go. Okay, no more inside baseball. Let's get right to it. Here's what's ahead on Wake Up Golf? And may I just say I hope your day starts a little more smoothly than mine. That was a weird, little hiccup. The Lacity Council has delayed its vote on a proposal to increase the minimum wage for hotel and airport workers. The proposal would increase wages to twenty five dollars an hour next year and thirty dollars an hour by twenty twenty eight. The delay came because council members said and economic impact impact report lacked key details. The vote is now set for December eleventh, more than two weeks after the election. NBC News has projected voters in California have narrowly rejected a ballot measure that would have increased the state's minimum wage.
Speaker 8: Proposition thirty two.
Speaker 1: Would have bumped the minimum wage to eighteen dollars an hour by twenty twenty six.
Speaker 8: A man in.
Speaker 1: Florida has filed a class action lawsuit against Netflix over glitches during the boxing match between Mike Tyson and Jake Paul Ronald claims that Netflix breached its contract when the stream went down or the picture got pixelated because of buffering. Thousands have complained. Netflix has called the streaming event a success. About sixty five million people watched or tried to watch. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A new audit has revealed financial mismanagement at the La Homeless Services Authority.
Speaker 9: The audit was requested by the La County Board of Supervisors in February, and now that it's out, Supervisor Lindsay Horvanz says the county may need to create its own internal department of Homelessness. The County Auditor Controller reports has LASSA lacked records to track the cash it handed out to contractors, and even failed to determine whether those contracts were fulfilled. LASA is an agency jointly managed by the county and the City of La. Both governments have expressed concern in recent years about the agency's finances and efficacy. Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News Democrat Derek Tran has added eighty three more votes to his congressional race lead over Orange County Republican congresswoman Michelle Steele. Tran is now three hundred and ninety seven votes ahead of Steel and has fifty point zero six percent of the vote. It's not known how many ballots still need to be counted. The first major winter storm of the season is hitting much of the West Coast. A so called bomb cyclone is slamming the region from Seattle all the way down to San Francisco. Dave Kenny with Pacific Gas and Electric says they're urging customers to be prepared.
Speaker 6: That's making sure that devices are charged. Electronic devices are charged.
Speaker 10: I stay away from any down power lines, a treat any down power line is live.
Speaker 1: Forecasters say southern California could get some rain from the tail end of the system starting late tomorrow. The real estate company Redfinn has revised its projected mortgage rate for the next year upwards to six point eight percent. That's more than a half a percentage point more than it had estimated before President Electrump won the election. A Redfinn aonymous is the difference is Trump and speculation that he'll go ahead with some tariffs you talked about during his latest presidential campaign. Freddie Freeman's walk off Grand Slam baseball from Game one of the World Series is going up for auction. Kfi's Daniel Martindale says the ball hitting to the right field pavilion was the first walk off Grand Slam in World Series history.
Speaker 9: A ten year old boy from Venice got a hold of the ball and passed it to his father, who was able to pick it up. SCP Auctions will be taking bids on the ball from December fourth through the fourteenth.
Speaker 1: The auction house says it could easily go for more than a million dollars. Show Hey Otani's historic fifty to fifty home run ball sold at auction last month for nearly four point four million dollars. So now let's move on and say good morning to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker.
Speaker 8: Good morning, John.
Speaker 5: Say good morning to Amy. Hope you're doing well today.
Speaker 1: I am, except for my ears being blown out, but that's a whole other issue. President elect Trump has made several controversial nominations. Of course, that none more controversial than former Florida Representative Matt Gates for attorney General. So Trump says he's not reconsidering the nomination. Now Gates is out lobbying to get the job. Tell us the latest and what's going.
Speaker 8: On with that.
Speaker 5: Well, it's an uphill fight in terms of winning confirmation to be the Attorney General, the chief law enforcement officer of the United States. Matt Gates has not done himself any favors, first of all by insulting a significant number of Republican Senators who will ultimately potentially pass judgment on his nomination. And then, of course you have some very serious allegations that have been made against Matt Gates, sexual misconduct, sexual relations with a minor, illicit drug use, using campaign funds for personal use. All of that was investigated by the House Ethics Committee. The House Ethics Committee voted yesterday not to release that report, Amy, And you have to wonder why is that. You know, if there was information contained in that ethics support that exonerates Matt Gates, you want you'd want to get that information out there. And so I think it has put Republican senators in particular in a very difficult position. They want to be supportive of Donald Trump at the same time, this is this is a very damaged nominee to lead the Department of Justice.
Speaker 1: And in the Ethics Committee meeting, the vote there. It was basically a split down party line. So all the Democrats said, yes, release it, and all the Republicans said, nope, we're not releasing it.
Speaker 5: That's right. And then what we have is Republicans in the Senate want that information. They realize how important the position of attorney general is. They say that if we don't get the information from the report, we'll get the information by doing our own investigation. We'll have our own hearing, We'll bring those same witnesses before our committee, which would be very damaging to not only Matt Gates, but also to Donald Trump. I don't know if he wants to invest that much political capital in such a damaged nominee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if they do decide to do their own investigation, how quickly can they get that done?
Speaker 8: John?
Speaker 1: Can they start meetings tomorrow or the next day, or can they get it done before.
Speaker 8: He gets into office.
Speaker 5: What they actually envision is doing the investigation in real time, bringing some of those witnesses that have made these allegations against Matt Gates before the committee televised hearings that would happen in early January. So that is something that you know, if Matt Gates wants to put himself through all of that. You know, I guess that's his choice. It's just one of those things that is a distraction, a distraction from, you know, the early days of the Trump administration in what Donald Trump would like to get accomplished in those first early days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned last time we talked about the chaos that does seem to follow President elect Trump, and it's almost like it feels like and of course this is just me speculating that he kind of brings some of this stuff on himself. So why nominate somebody that controversial? There's got to be other people out there that would be qualified, you know.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, to your point, are there other individuals that you know would be loyal to Donald Trump but don't have baggage that could lead the Department of Justice? Absolutely? You know, I could think of a dozen Republicans who fit the bill. I don't know why. I mean, Donald Trump obviously feels that he wants to repay the loyalty that Matt Gates has demonstrated to him over the years. This is a highly coveted position. Matt Gates, as you alluded to, has already left his position in the House of Representatives And why did he do that? That was to prevent the release of this House Ethics report. That's the only reason why you would do such a thing. You take a look amy at Marco Rubio, who's been nominated to be the Secretary of State. He is still the senior Senator from Florida. He's not giving up his position a US Senator until he's confirmed as Secretary of State.
Speaker 1: And if they can't push Matt Gates through, are there any rumblings about who else might be kind of waiting in the wings or is that all just being kept under wraps right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they want to get to that. When they get to that. That being said, Donald Trump has already announced the number two and the number three positions at the Department of Justice. They're his former criminal lawyers that have represented him in various criminal matters that he's dealt with over the course of the past year. Potentially one of the two of them could be elevated to the top job at the Department of Justice. Senator Mike Lee of Utah has coveted the position of Attorney General. That's one name that I'm hearing that Donald Trump could turn to someone who's been very loyal to him as well. So I don't think they're at the stage yet where they're already looking for an alternative to mac Gates. I think they want to see how this process plays itself out over the course of the next several weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as you mentioned, loyalty, we've heard the word a few times just during our discussion. It's a big thing for Trump.
Speaker 8: We will be watching. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Kfi's White House correspondent John Decker appreciate the information.
Speaker 5: Thanks so much, Amie, have a great day.
Speaker 8: Thank us too.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Some people in Hacianda Heights have had no telephone or internet service for months.
Speaker 11: It's because someone keeps stealing copper wire from the area. It's gotten so bad that now the internet service provider Frontier says it's offering up to five thousand dollars to anyone who provides information leading directly to the arrest and conviction of any person involved in the theft or damage to Frontier property. The ha Sanda Heights Improvement Association estimates about seven miles of neighborhoods in the city have no service. It's so bad that Los Alto's High School has taken matters into their own hands, now leaving the stadium lights overnight to prevent copper robberies in the area. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: La Metros's ridership in October was up compared to last year, making it the twenty third month in a row with an increase year over year. The transit agency says twenty two and a half million bus riders for the month and an eight point six percent increase for rail passengers compared to a year ago. Metro says its weekday ridership has now reached eighty four percent of its pre pandemic levels, so still have the way to go. California is expected to avoid a major budget shortfall next year. The state faces a two billion dollar deficit this year, which is a big improvement from the forty seven billion dollar deficit last year. The California Republican Senator Roger Niello says, there is some bad news and.
Speaker 2: All that because of continued expenditure growth and not anticipated vigorous revenue growth that we're looking at twenty to thirty billion dollar deficits for the three fiscal years after twenty five twenty six.
Speaker 1: Malo says the state needs to do a better job of assessing outcomes of programs. The Legislative Analysts Office says as they review programs, if they're not doing what they're expected to the state needs to make cuts to reduce expenses. One of two men sentenced to death in LA for a takeover robbery and mass murder at a Bob's Big Boy in nineteen eighty wants a new sentence.
Speaker 12: Seventy nine year old Ricardo Renee Sanders has started legal efforts to have his prison sentence shortened. Recent state laws that allowed judges to reconsider prison terms could lead to Sanders being released on parole.
Speaker 1: Kay if I's Mark Mayfield Sais, Sanders and another man were convicted of forcing eleven customers and employees into a freezer, then shooting them in the back, firing until they ran out of bullets.
Speaker 8: Four people were killed.
Speaker 1: The ely keunny DIA's offices it will oppose Sanders' efforts to make him eligible for parole. How Speaker Mark Johnson has announced a new policy that bans transgender women, including Delaware congresswoman elect Sarah McBride from using women's restrooms on Capitol Hill. He says everyone should be treated with dignity and respect, but.
Speaker 13: A man is a man and a woman is a woman, and a man cannot become a woman.
Speaker 1: Johnson says the new a policy applies to all single sex facilities like restrooms and locker rooms in the Capitol and House office buildings. Earlier this week, a Republican congresswoman introduced a resolution that would require House members and staff to use the restroom that corresponds with their biological sex. A volcano in Iceland has erupted for the seventh time in a year. The first in a series happened in December of last year. Iceland's seismic monitors say the latest eruption late yesterday started with little warning and created a long fissure, but looked smaller than eruptions in August and in May. About fifty homes were evacuated. Hey, the fourteenth annual KFI Postathon is here.
Speaker 8: It's just around the corner.
Speaker 1: Chef Bruno's charity, Katerina's Club, provides more than twenty five thousand meals every week to kids in need in southern California and we couldn't do it without two.
Speaker 8: Your generosity makes it all happen.
Speaker 1: You can join Tim john Way Kim Tim john Way, Tim Conway Junior. He's going to be broadcasting live at the brand new Wendy's in Mission Via Ho. It's at twenty three twenty two Alicia Parkway. Come by and say hi Friday from four to seven pm, and if you donate five dollars or more in store, you'll get a coupon book for yummy Wendy's treats. And then on Saturday, our very own FOURK reporter Neil Sevader is going to be broadcasting live at the Smart and Final in Lake Forest that's on El Toro Road Saturday to from two to five pm. Come in shop for Thanksgiving, stay hi and donate any amount you like to the KFI Pastathon in store at checkout. You can also donate right now at KFI AM six forty dot com slash Pastathon and don't forget Our all day live broadcast is going to be from the Anaheim White House on Giving Tuesday. That's to say number third. Come out see us five am to ten pm. All the shows are going to be out there, donate on site drop off pasta and sauce donations, and of course, one hundred percent of your donation goes to Caterina's Club. About forty thousand UC healthcare workers are on picket lines instead of on the job for a second day as a two day strike continues. The workers claim the University of California is bargaining in bad faith. The workers say they are understaffed and overworked and want better working conditions and pay. Former Florida Representative Matt Gates and President Alex trump pick for Attorney General. Matt Gates has met privately with Republican senators who have questions about the sexual misconduct and other allegations against him. At least one Republican Senator, Lindsey Graham, says there was a lynch mob forming against Gates. Lady Gaga, Green Day, and Post Malone are going to headline Coachella twenty twenty five, the lineup which just announced yesterday. Other performers include Megan the Stallion, Travis Scott, Missy Elliott, and Charles X. Coachella happens the second and third weekends in April at the Empire Polo Club in Indio. Let's say good morning now to ABC's crime and Terrorism analyst Brad Garrett. Brad, President Trump's mass deportations are coming as soon as he gets back into office. A conservative estimates that's about eleven million people. So where does it all start and who are authority is going to go after first?
Speaker 14: So they're going to go after amy who they're already going after, which are convicted criminals, ones that are currently incarcerated in jails or prison, state, federal, etc. But they've been doing that across the board. They just file the tainterers and pick them up once they're released. So that's one aspect, but you know, it becomes a much more authority issue as you start trying to go into various neighborhoods around the country. I mean, obviously Los Angeles is extremely ethnically and finding people and let's say your communities that are undocumented, finding the right person, finding somebody that will help you. I mean, I've attracked fugitives all over the world, all across this country, and it's a really can be a really painstaking thing to do, and you really have to have people that are trained to do that. Yeah, if you sent the National Guard into some neighborhoods in Los Angeles. How far are they going to get? I mean, you just can't get online and expect to do anything other than because of disruption and perhaps chaos. So this thing is really going to take a lot of planning, and it's going to cost a lot of money.
Speaker 8: Can we have any idea about how much money?
Speaker 14: The estimates are at least three hundred and eighteen billion a year. They're talking about they have to spend a trillion dollars in the next ten years.
Speaker 3: I think here's what's going to happen.
Speaker 14: I think it will there will be an increase, but I don't know how big it's going to be. I mean, you have to hire a lot more people. Think about all the prisons you're going to have to build to detain these folks. I mean, we're talking there's two thousand people locked up in this country in jails and prisons. You're talking about rest and hundreds of thousands of people on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: What are you going to do with them? Now?
Speaker 14: You're going to have to build facilities to hold them, and we all know how expensive prisons are. So this is going to take a lot of work and probably a lot of missteps initially, but we'll see how it sorts out. And that doesn't even address the whole economic side of walking up some of these undocuments. Your state in particular, when you look at construction and agriculture, the amount of undocumented migrants that work in those two categories is really high.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So and then, like you're saying, how they're going to do it is going to be tricky too, because so say, going to the agriculture and you've got a lot of undocumented workers.
Speaker 8: So what do they do.
Speaker 1: Do they show up at the fields and just round everybody up?
Speaker 14: I assume they would do that. Think about then, the the political and economic side of that of if you're a big agriperson in California and you know, ice and Customs and Border protection agents show up and you know, take away half the people that work for you.
Speaker 3: I mean, think about that for a second. Yeah, and so it's it's go ahead.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say, you know, Trump is Trump is pro business, So how does he square that if deportations take away a huge chunk of the workforce.
Speaker 14: I just think this is you know, it's it's easy as a politician to say all sorts of things and make it sound simplistic, and then those of us who have to sort it out and actually do it think about the you know, the overwhelming both logistics and ramifications of doing it.
Speaker 3: And so we'll see where that goes.
Speaker 14: And the idea they're going to use the military to do some of this is sort of I don't know how that's going to work. I mean, they historically have just been security at most locations, and maybe that's how they'll use them.
Speaker 3: But we'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you think there's any any thought or hope that some might self deport?
Speaker 3: Maybe, but could do that in large numbers.
Speaker 14: But I mean, if you were undocumented and from Nicaragua to go back to no job in a corrupt government and a lot of violence or wherever it might be, aren't you going to stick around here? You have a job, you know, you're supporting your family. I don't know, well some of that go on. I'd be shocked if that goes on to big numbers. But again, we'll we'll have to see.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we're all we're all going to find out together, because, like you said, it's not an easy process. Trump's you know, seems bound and determined to do it, so we'll see if he can.
Speaker 3: Buckle in.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, ABC's Brad Garrett, thank you so much for your time and information today.
Speaker 3: You're welcome to take care y all right, you too.
Speaker 1: A plan to give pay raises to hotel and airport workers in La has stalled.
Speaker 9: The city council will revisit the twenty five dollars minimum wage next month after debating whether it would have a negative impact on the local economy. Counciloman Tracy Parks has an outside report in support of the raises was not as informed as she wanted it to be.
Speaker 11: The work product that came back is shoddy at best.
Speaker 8: That report is missing data and critical elements of the information and analysis.
Speaker 9: The rais would have been in effect next year and would continue to go up until reaching thirty dollars an hour when the Olympics arrive. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Former La County Supervisor Mark Ridley Thomas is expected to ask a federal appeals court to reverse his fraud and bribery convictions or grant him a new trial. A hearing is set for this morning. Ridley Thomas was sentenced last year to more than three years in federal prison for voting to support county contracts favoring USC while accepting benefits for his son from the university. He was a member of the La City council at the time. Ukraine says Russia has launched an intercontinental ballistic missile overnight, targeting a city in the central east part of the country. Ukraine's Air force says the missile was fired at Dnipro along with eight other missiles, and that the Ukrainian military shot down six of them. Two injuries were reported. At least one Western official is disputing that it was an ICBM.
Speaker 8: They say it was a regular ballistic missile.
Speaker 1: US officials say progress has been made in diplomatic efforts to bring an end to a more than a year of fighting between Israel and Lebanon. ABC's Geordana Miller says hundreds of Israeli and Lebanese civilians have been killed, tens of thousands have been forced to leave both sides of the border.
Speaker 15: US Special envoy Almost Hosting says the gaps are narrowing. Lebanon's chief negotiators says the sides agree on eighty percent of the US ceasefire proposal.
Speaker 1: She says, the draft proposal will be given to Israel's leaders. Today, the original karate Kid has received his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Ralph Machio. Machio's star was unveiled yesterday, just days after the release of the second half of the sixth and final season of Cobra Kai on Netflix.
Speaker 8: Love that Show.
Speaker 1: Macchio will again reprise the role of Daniel LaRusso in the next film installment of the Karate Kid franchise. It's going to be called Karate Kid Legends and is set for release in May of next year. Macchio's star is next to the star of the late Pat Marita, you know mister Miyagi in the first three Karate Kid movies. Holidays are here at the Disneyland Resort and KFI wants to give you the chance to enjoy the wonder, joy and magic of the season. And I can tell you it is magical experience. World of Color, Season of Light. It's a nighttime spectacular at Disney California Adventure Park, and over at Disneyland Park, rediscover holiday classics like a Christmas Fantasy Parade and so much more. Keep listening to KFI for your chance to win a four pack of one day one park tickets to Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park. Despite more eligible and registered voters in California, fewer of them actually voted in this year's election than in twenty twenty. Preliminary numbers show six to eleven percent fewer voters cast ballots. This could be the largest drop in turnout in a half century. California now automatically registers eligible voters. The final count and turnout will be confirmed in early December. The first openly trans congressman congresswoman elects as she is not in DC to find about bathrooms. Delaware Democrat Sara McBride says she will follow House Speaker Mike Johnson's rule that people can only use bathrooms that match their biological sex, even though she disagrees with it. The US is closing its embassy in Ukraine after warning of a possible significant air attack by Russian forces. The US Embassy in Kiev says it had received specific information about a potential attack and that its employees should shelter in place. The warning came after Ukraine's military used US missiles to strike Russia for the first time. And we're getting worried that Russia may have used an intercontinental missile ballistic missile against Ukraine for the first time. Overnight at six oh five, it's Handle on the news. The Ethics Committee has opted not to release a report on former Florida Congressman Matt Gates, who is Trump's pick for a cabinet position. At five point fifty. Want to do some stuffing for a good cause this Thanksgiving? Well, we're going to be talking with the founder of Big Sunday about one of the largest Thanksgiving volunteer events in the US. It's right here in LA. It's going to feed thousands of people this Thanksgiving. We'll let you know how you can help. It is time for our first Southern California sleigh ride of the season, and for this one, we're going to have our favorite elf, Nick Coliochini.
Speaker 16: Joined me.
Speaker 8: I am here.
Speaker 1: Because guess guess where Nick and I would go to start the holidays?
Speaker 8: Anyone? Anyone?
Speaker 17: Yes?
Speaker 1: The Mary's Place on Earth, the Disneyland Resort.
Speaker 8: So Nick, you about to go? Was it yesterday? The day before?
Speaker 6: I was there on Tuesday?
Speaker 1: On Tuesday, okay, and I was there on Saturday, which was the first full day of Christmas, and they had a couple of things that actually they didn't have the tree up in the Grand Californian yet, but they were very close.
Speaker 8: And there's a whole lot of decorations.
Speaker 1: And you know that if you listen to Wake Up Call, you know Nick and I we are big Disney. But I got to tell you, Disneyland at the Holidays is one of the coolest things.
Speaker 8: I had.
Speaker 1: One of my best friends, Debbie, was down and she's never been to Disneyland at the holidays, and she was like.
Speaker 8: This is so cool.
Speaker 1: So let's talk a little bit about what's going on and what's special and what makes it even more magical at the holidays than it is on a normal day.
Speaker 8: So first let's talk decorations.
Speaker 6: Sure, where do you want to start?
Speaker 10: Do you want which park do you want to start, or even Downtown Disney or the resort hotels. I mean, it literally encompasses the entire Disneyland resort.
Speaker 6: I think that's the biggest thing.
Speaker 10: It doesn't matter if you have a park to enter or a ticket to enter the parks. You can go to Downtown Disney. You don't need a ticket to go and enjoy all the magic. You can go to the resort hotels. They have the trees up at the hotels. Santa He visits all of the hotels, so if you want to go see Santa He will be visiting all of the hotels to be able to visit time and spend time with you. The characters visit all the hotels so you can get some time in with them there. So there's so many opportunities for you to go and have such a fun, magical and holiday oriented at Disney time, no matter where you're going to be headed there, so it's epic.
Speaker 1: The whole park is it has like a Christmas overlay, like one of my favorite places.
Speaker 8: Of course, it starts on Main Street.
Speaker 1: They have this like I don't know if it's one hundred feet tall, but they have this ginormous tree on Main Street and there's a great photo op with the castle in the background, which is fabulous. And then as you walk down Main Street the castle, which is already cool, they've got.
Speaker 8: It all decked out with ice and blue.
Speaker 1: It looks a lot like Frozen, but it's I mean, it's just so gorgeous at night and it lights up. And then as you head over into New Orleans Square. That's one of my favorite places where my Rits of the Caribbean is the way that they decorate it. It's just it's classic and it's so festive, and it just kind of gets you into the mood. That's what I love about what Disney does is it just takes everything and takes it to the next level.
Speaker 10: And the most exciting thing is that officially, as of Friday, Tiana's Bayou Adventure is now officially open. So that just opened on Friday for everybody to enjoy. So that's kind of Disney's special Christmas gift for you this holiday season.
Speaker 6: It's a little wet, it's a little chilly. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 10: I have not yet because I have not braved it because that is very damp for me and I am a so cal Yeah, I don't want to.
Speaker 6: Get wet quite yet. No, I haven't done it yet.
Speaker 8: But yes, we didn't do it either. And here's why.
Speaker 1: Because it's brand new and from some people that we talked to at the park, you know, they're just kind of testing water levels and stuff, and so right now people are getting drenched even more than usual. The ride is spectacul it's one of my favorite rides in the park with the old Splash Mountain which is now Tianta's by You Adventure. But it just be prepared to get wet if you're gonna if you're gonna do that one, okay.
Speaker 6: Oh but it looks incredible, yeah it does.
Speaker 1: And then over across the street in Disney California Adventure.
Speaker 8: Do you have a favorite part of that park at Christmas?
Speaker 10: For me, I really love all the stuff that comes up for Viva Navidad and does all the street festival stuff that happens because I love all of like the conchos, like the the pondulce, the sweet Mexican bread. But then this year we've got a brand new expression because Mirabelle from Encantos, she has a brand new show that featured right at the Bay there for where you've got the backdrop of the Mickey's Fun Wheel, which is the Pixar.
Speaker 8: Power Racks now from Pixar correct right.
Speaker 10: Correct, So you've got right in front of Pixar Pier right across from Aerials Adventure the ride there.
Speaker 6: So you've got a brand new show there.
Speaker 10: Plus you've got the return of all the characters for Viva Navidad, which is that street festival, and then you've got Mickey and Friends that run down the corridor there with a really fun holiday show that comes through. So I really like everything kind of. I guess around Pixar Pier is probably my favorite.
Speaker 1: Area, okay, and then my favorite area is cars Land because they do so cool for Christmas and they like all they have posters and all kinds of things up around the decorations, and they they literally just tweak everything and it's you know, it's Disney imagineering and they make it look so special, but they also make it more interactive, like there's other things that you don't see at other times in the year, or things that you do see that they've tweaked just a little bit for the holidays, so you notice that, you know, they're so into details and it's absolutely adorable. And of course matter has a sayd I had on and that kind of stuff, so that's very cool. And then we'd be remiss if we didn't mention the food really quick, and I haven't had much chance to try the specific holiday food, but they do have their Festival of the Holidays and they've got where they have the food carts set up are the key places in DCA, and they have some really yummy, yummy treats and you can get that Sip and Savor pass and you can try a bunch of different.
Speaker 10: Really a good way to save money. So that's a really good thing. That's a great thing. So the three things really quick to jump in that I tried this time where the Barbaco tamal so the Tamali deres or so beef tamali which had a beautiful like Tomentio Tomentia salsa on it. I also had the Cafe de Oya Cold Brew which had this adorable little red consha like this little potan dul say that I was talking about on top of it. And then also I had for vegetarians, they always have great options. They had a Queso fundido mac and cheese topped with vegan.
Speaker 6: Cherriso, which was really good. So those three options, all.
Speaker 8: The mac and cheeses are always really good. And that tamali was good.
Speaker 6: The tamali was delicious. It was really really nice and I love it. It was great.
Speaker 8: They have all over the park.
Speaker 1: They have a whole separate menu, Like almost all of the restaurants have some sort of themed food, and then like Jolly Holiday, which is on Main Street in the Disneyland Park. It's got all kinds of Christmas treats and it's just a It really is a magical experience. So if you're planning your trip to Disneyland, the Disneyland Resort, it's going on right on through the holidays and it is beautiful and fun. Oh and I forgot to mention too. We went, we watched Fantasmic and the fireworks. The fireworks show is spectacular. When they call it a nighttime spectacular, I'm not kidding. And then at the end of the fireworks it snowed over in New Orleans Square.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I didn't know they've been Holiday Magic Yeah is so good that it's not new, but it's been around for a good number years. I believe in Holiday Magic is really really good. The Christmas presentation is so so good.
Speaker 1: So if you're heading to the Disneyland Park, now is a great time to go.
Speaker 8: It's the merriest place on earth, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, And through the Hollywood season, Hollywood season, through the holiday season, we're going to be taking our Southern California sleigh rides to other places around southern California that you might want to go check out.
Speaker 8: We hope you'll join us for that.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Nick.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsrooms show, Hey O Tani could add another big award to go with his World Series win.
Speaker 18: Major League Baseball's Most Valuable Player will be announced today, and the clear front runner would be the Dodger show Hey O Tani, the first player to whoever hit fifty home runs and fifty solen bases in a season. Sure seems to be a lock, but no designated hitter has ever won the award. Did and pitch all years he recovered from shoulder surgery before joining the Dodgers. A win would give Otani his second consecutive and third overall MVP award. The New York metsas Francisco Lindor would be a possible alternative. Keep it here on KFI to hear if Otana gets the MVP to go along with his World Series win. Michael Krozier, KFI News, Come.
Speaker 1: On, it's gotta be Otani, doesn't it gotta be? Can't wait to hear La County prosecutors say one of two men charged with murdering a seventy five year old woman in her home in South Pasadena is the woman's grandson.
Speaker 8: Susan Miller was stabbed to death back in June. Her grandson and another manner charged with murder and first degree burglary with a person present. The grandson was detained after the murder, but was let go two days later. He was re arrested on Saturday. The other guy was arrested in November. And La Metro, a line train and a car have collided in South La. The crash yesterday happened in an unincorporated area near Watts person was taken to the hospital. It's not clear what caused the crash. It took hours to get the car off the tracks and restore train service. Cybersecurity experts say people with iPhones, iPads, or Mac products should update them immediately because of a security flaw. Alex Stone says the flaw may have been actively exploited.
Speaker 17: The flaw was uncovered by Google's Threat Analysis group, which focuses on countering targeted and government backtacking.
Speaker 1: Stone says downloading the latest update in the Apple settings will fix the vulnerability. Got to do that tonight, a new poll shows most Democrats would support Vice President Harris as the party's presidential nominee for twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 16: The poll released on Wednesday found forty one percent of likely Democratic voters say they would choose Harris over California Governor Gavin Newsom and Pennsylvania Governor John Shapiro, despite her loss in the recent election.
Speaker 1: KF's Tammy Trujillo says Newsom came in second with just eight percent support, and Minnesota Governor Tim Walls, who was Harris's VP pic, ranked below Shapiro on the list with six percent. Eighty five families in Rancho Palas Vertis have applied for their share of a forty two million dollar grant to buy them out from their homes that are shifting because of a landslide in the area. The homeowners have been told this week that they could find out if they'll get the buy out before Christmas. Approved applicants would get seventy five percent of their home's fair market value. The money's coming from a FEMA grant. The US is closing its embassy in Ukraine after warning of a possible significant air attack by Russiana forces. Ukraine says Russia has for the first time launched an intercontinental ballistic missile at the country. At least one official has disputed that, saying that the missile fired at Dnipro was a regular ballistic missile. Ukraine's military used US missiles to strike Russia for the first time. This week, two blockbuster movies they are expected to jumpstart the holiday box office. Wicked and Gladiator two both hit theaters officially tomorrow, but they'll be in select theaters today. In fact, Nick and I are going to see Wicked this afternoon. The Ariana Grande and Cynthia Arrivo adaptation of the Broadway musical is expected to earn at least one hundred million dollars in its first weekend. Gladiator two is expected to bring in about sixty five million dollars. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning, Democrats are shoring up judicial support before the Republicans take over in January. Right now, let's say good morning to David Levinson, the founder and executive director of Big Sunday.
Speaker 8: So, David, Thanksgiving is just a week away.
Speaker 1: It's time to be thankful for what you have and to give to people who don't have as much as you. And that's where you come in because you're getting ready for the thirteenth annual Big Thanksgiving stuffing event. Can you tell us what it is?
Speaker 4: Sure? Thing? What we do is every year we host a big event where we've fill thousands of beds full of Thanksgiving food. See if too grateful and hungry people all over the city. They'll be representing more than one hundred different nonprofits and schools. We're expecting over two thousand people of all ages and backgrounds to come and fill those bags. It's next Wednesday to twenty seventh. We start right at nine o'clock in the morning and we start distributing the bags at about ten pass so that people can get them on Wednesday so they have food and time for Thanksgiving on Thursday.
Speaker 8: I love that.
Speaker 1: So what I'm guessing that you still need volunteers.
Speaker 8: Or are you? Are you loaded up for volunteers.
Speaker 4: So here's the thing. People we love volunteers. All ages are welcome, from very young to very old. They have to go on our website Big Sunday dot org to sign up. People cannot just show up on announced because we're actually at the Radford studios in Studio City, which will be a lot of fun. But people need to sign up. They can go to Big Sunday dot org. They can also if they're out of town, or you can make it. You can help by sponsoring bags of food for thirty five dollars apiece. We have an online registry can buy items starting at seventy five cents, or you can sponsor the whole event starting at one thousand dollars enough, you know, the whole thing at Big Sunday we believe is that absolutely everybody has some way they can help somebody else. Absolutely everyone has some time that they need help, and we all have to look out for one another.
Speaker 8: I love that and this is such a great time of year to do that.
Speaker 1: Where do you get all of the stuff to stuff the food boxes, David?
Speaker 8: Is that all privately funded or do you get donations? How does that working?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: You know what? We get to wherever we can. Our great friends at our great friends at Albertson's have been a very large donation this year to help us with the food. But people have always just kids have hosted collections at schools, people have done it at their offices, at their house, of worship in their neighborhood. You know, the whole thing is that everyone has their way to participate, and especially in such a divided and devisive time as we're in now, it's been wonderful to see people from every single walk of life finding a way that they can pitch in and we can all work together on this.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 1: And David, you said that, you know, like everybody needs help every once in a while, which I totally agree with. How do you find the people who who maybe need that extra help this holiday? You know what?
Speaker 4: They come from all all places, And I'll tell you somebody, sometimes it's very easy to see how people need help. If you drive by an encampment, as we all have, it's pretty easy to see the kind of help that person needs. Sometimes people's help. Somebody might be living in a palace in bel Air and they might have their pain that might be a little tougher to see. And so that's why we say we always try to assume the best and everyone see the best in everyone, to bring out the best in everyone because we all have something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, And then you said that you're going to be doing the stuffing event at Radford Studios why is that going to be such a special special place for the villain?
Speaker 4: Right we're on my three Sun Street and from in front of some famous houses you've seen on TV shows. They leave it to Beaver House. They'll be fun and people are coming, you know, with their offices, with their school groups of the faith groups, lots of family, lots of people coming on their own, coming with friends. So that will be fun. And your folks should know that we're so busy through the whole holiday season. We have our Big Sunday Holiday List with over seven hundred and fifty ways to help over the holidays, and just a week later on December eight, we're having our annual Big Sunday Holiday single long where our guests of on our kids from ability first with special challenges and that's part of our holiday toy drive. One thing folks should know is we don't give out bags of food or toys to individuals. We do it through nonprofits and schools. So if you're with a nonprofit or school Thanksgiving, all the bags are spoken for. But with toys, Big Sunday dot Org and people can look us up and we're always here to help.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 6: Cool.
Speaker 1: And then if we have people who can volunteer here next Wednesday when you're actually doing the big Thanksgiving stuffing event, Like how much time do they need?
Speaker 8: Is it an all day thing or just a few hours or how does that work?
Speaker 4: The event is from nine till noon, and we do it so that we can get the bags distributed and we have a nice community breakfast for all the volunteers that because we're really about community building people think are about community services of our community building and finding a place for everyone to pitch in and help out and connect. So they need to go to Big Sunday dot org. The event will fill up so at a certain point that we're not going to be able to take any extra volunteers because we'll be full. So they can go to Big Sunday dot org and sign up right now if they're listening.
Speaker 1: And isn't that a good problem to have, David, that you have so many volunteers you can't take anymore.
Speaker 4: It's a wonderful problem to have, as I said, in such a brought moment as we're in in our country's history, that so many people from all backgrounds and every direction are nice and just want to help, whether it's volunteering whether it's sponsoring bags of food or just being nice to someone else, it's wonderful.
Speaker 8: I think we could all use a little kindness.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you can volunteer your time a few hours in Studio City a week from today.
Speaker 8: You can volunteer your money.
Speaker 1: You can donate, donate up from starting a seventy five cents all the way to one thousand bucks. Whatever you can do. They need your help. And again it's Big Sunday dot org. The thirteenth annual Big Thanksgiving Stuffing Event is a week from yesterday next Wednesday, the twenty seventh, the day before Thanksgiving. David Levinson, thank you so much for your time this morning, and best of luck with your event.
Speaker 4: Ed. Thanks for having me and I appreciate it.
Speaker 8: You got it.
Speaker 5: Let's feed a lot of people happy Thanksgiving.
Speaker 8: All right, you too, Bye bye bye.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Thousands of University of California workers continue their two day strike today, calling for better pay and better working conditions. Union spokesperson Todd Stenhouse says the UC system is bargaining in bad faith.
Speaker 13: They even went so far as to announce that they were going to impose hundreds of dollars in healthcare increases on workers who are already not able to afford the rent to put food on the table.
Speaker 1: Stenhouse says the workers are understaffed, have heavy workloads, and their wages are not keeping up with the cost of living. University officials say they've met frequently with the union to try to reach an agreement. The two day strike ends at midnight tonight. Ridership on La Metro has gone up again, the.
Speaker 9: Transit agency says. October mark the twenty third consecutive month of year over year growth. Metro says its weekday ridership is now at eighty four percent of its pre pandemic level, and on the weekends it's at ninety seven percent recovered. According to the data released this week, twenty two and a half million rides were taken on Metro buses in the month, and on the rail lines there was an eight point six percent increase in passengers compared to October of last year. Michael Monks I.
Speaker 1: News, the judge overseeing the case AFO University of Idaho's students murdered in twenty twenty two, will keep the death penalty on the table for the accused killer. Alex Stone says Brian Coburger is due to go to trial next summer.
Speaker 17: Coberger's attorneys claimed capital punishment should not be allowed because it would violate Coburger's constitutional rights and contemporary standards of decency.
Speaker 1: He says the judge's ruling goes against the defense team's request to throw out the death penalty.
Speaker 8: Option.
Speaker 1: Authority say they now know the identity of the man who sexually assaulted and killed a seventeen year old girl in Riverside County more than forty years ago. The Riverside County DA's office's DNA evidence shows Lewis Williamson was involved in the rape and murder of Esther Gonzalez, who was last seen alive when she left her parents place in Beaumont in nineteen seventy nine. Williamson died in Florida ten years ago, and a Chinese born crypto entrepreneur, now owns arguably the most expensive fruit in the world justin Sun.
Speaker 19: The winning bid of six point two million dollars for a banana tape to a wall with duct tape. The conceptual art piece was sold Wednesday night at Southeast Contemporary Art Auction. The artwork by Mauricio Catalan is called Comedian not Banana Tape to a wall with duct tape. Sun watched the bidding from Hong Kong and said afterward that in the coming days you'll eat the banana as part of this unique artistic experience. Mark Ronner, KFI News.
Speaker 8: I love it. Nice little bit of breakfast there.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County. Southland weather from KFI sunny with heiserund seventy at the beaches, low to mid seventies for Metro La and Inlando c middubber seventies in the valleys and Inland Empire sixties in the Antelope Valley. Clear skies tonight with lows in the forties and fifties, morning clouds, then sunny Tomorrow, cooler with highs in the upper sixties to low seventies. We have a slight chance of rain after midnight tomorrow, and then a fifty percent chance of rain Saturday and Sunday, with HIGs just in the sixties. It's forty eight and Fullerton fifty two in San Clemente, fifty in Pasadena fifty in Santa Monica. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four our newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.