Speaker 1: It's Stick Gabriel taking a little bit of time off, so we thought we would replace some of the best interviews from over the last several months. Please enjoy the best of the Big Blue Insider Gus.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait any longer this will you please join me in a little cast cast one two three, Cats, please come on, stand up and let's go.
Speaker 3: I need your help here. Can we do this? Please?
Speaker 2: One two three, See hey gee us.
Speaker 3: Touts, gouts tuts. I love it. Let's go again.
Speaker 4: See thank you, guys, thank you. That's good. That's good.
Speaker 1: He couldn't wait, could he. That's the new head coach. And you saw him and heard him on Sunday in one of the most amazing spectacles. And that's what it was really in the history of Kentucky basketball. Welcome to the Big Bloe and Sider. Dick Gabriel with you Tuesday abbreviated edition of our show. We'll go for about forty five minutes because there's a big baseball game coming up six forty five pregame, seven o'clock, first pitch, Kentucky and Louisville over in the Derby City. Remember this game last year was canceled because of the tragic shooting in downtown Louisville and this year's game in election, it was rained out, postponed, but they have not yet rescheduled it, and it doesn't look as though they will. So tonight, Kentucky Louisville, we'll have it for you right here. Coming up Darren's pregame at six forty five, first pitch a little bit after seven o'clock, we're gonna talk just basically all about Mark Pope and Kentucky basketball and this abbreviated show. We'll talk spring football tomorrow. I hope you got a chance to go and watch them work out. If not, and I understand that there wasn't a big crowd. You know, I don't know what I saw, quite frankly, but I did see a quarterback, Brock Vandergriff, who can use his feet, as he said when he has to.
Speaker 5: But throws the ball.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to talk to John Hale of the Herald Leader tomorrow on the show, get his take on it. And we're also going to talk tomorrow with Sean Woods, the Unforgettable Wildcat, who was there Sunday when Mark Pope was introduced. But tonight we'll hear from a lot of former Wildcats who were there, and as you know, that was one of the keys to this entire successful appearance on Sunday for the Big Blue Nation, all the former players who showed up and a tip of the Big Blue insider Captain Nathan Schwacke of UK Sports Marketing and his entire team. I mean, it took a lot of people to pull this off. You know how big the crowd was, right about twenty thousand, it's an estimated crow twenty thousand and five something. The entire arena was jammed, as you know, the points to the point where they had to turn away anywhere from three to five thousand people. And you know, there were some seats on the floor for boosters and media, but for the most part the floor seats were not there. But still an unbelievable crowd, and it clearly clearly underscored the fact that there was just a massive disconnect with John Caliperry. And I'm not knocking the guy, you know again, the first five or six years he was here. That was one of the most impressive runs in college basketball and modern history. It really was, with a championship and all the final four runs plus the Elite eight his first season, and of course that was a year they should have gone to the final four, could have won the national title. I think they were the best team in the country, but they blew it, and they blew other opportunities under Cali Perry. Some of it his fault, some of it not. We all know you go through the odd number of years, those are the ones that jump out the easiest to me.
Speaker 5: Twenty fifteen, we know what happened there.
Speaker 1: I put that on Cali Perry as much as the missed call on the shot clock violation, but he did not make in game adjustments he should have. Twenty seventeen, if Derek May doesn't hit that jumper for North Carolina, Kentucky goes to the final four. We're maybe not talking about Mark Pope at Kentucky twenty nineteen, they missed going to the Final four because they lose to Auburn, a team they led by ten points at halftime. It goes to the final four that year, we may not be talking about Mark Pope. And I do agree with Cali Perry. I don't know he so easily says we would have won it in the COVID year.
Speaker 5: That's easy to say. A lot of teams could have said that.
Speaker 1: There were a lot of really good teams that year, but I do believe that was a final four team with Richards and Quickly and Tyree s maxwe because they were playing so well at tournament time and had all those future NBA players. So that's just how fragile this thing can be. But it worked out. I think for Calipari, I think he'll do very well at Arkansas, and every time he does something good, somebody back here is going well, you see, you know, but Pope's going to get off to a good start. He'll do well here. I think his teams will make deep runs in the postseason simply because he has and will have better players than he had at first Utah Valley State.
Speaker 5: And bring him young. Now why is he here? Well, Mitch barnardt spoke to the crowd, but.
Speaker 1: He also after the news conference spoke to the media about the fact that and I was told again there was interest from Billy Donovan, but not interest in dropping what he was doing to pursue the job right away. And I was told Kentucky basically couldn't wait. Barnard talked about the fact that he didn't wait because he had a guy that he really liked right in front of him.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think there's a lot of raaided.
Speaker 5: Number One, I felt coped with Mark.
Speaker 6: I mean, let's not we're diminishing if we sit here and say, why didn't I wait.
Speaker 3: I didn't feel like I needed to. I was comfortable with who.
Speaker 4: I had, I liked it. I knew where I wanted to go.
Speaker 6: I had a couple of two or three thoughts at the beginning. It played out. There's no mystery that we talked to someone first, and Mark knew that. I said, this is why it's going to work. And I was copable with our process, our research, the people I was talking to, and I felt like I was ready to go.
Speaker 1: So let's go, and let's go was basically the theme of that news conference as we mentioned the former players coming back and the trophy being held Aloft and the spotlight on the banner. That was a nice touch, and Barnard talked about the fact that he had kind of kept an eye on Mark Pope throughout the year. And look, if you're miss Barnard and you're struggling with your head coach, you got to have that list in your pocket, don't you. I mean every ad. You know that every ad should have a plan for really all of his coaches if any of them leave.
Speaker 5: You got to be ready. You got to do your homework. You got to do your research.
Speaker 1: And he knew about Mark Pope, and in fact, he had met Mark Pope, but he had also been keeping an eye on him, and he kind of liked the vibe that he brought.
Speaker 7: We've got a chance of meet a couple of times in reunions and things like that, But when you talk to him, do you get a real feel for his love for this institution?
Speaker 3: And I don't think there was anything.
Speaker 6: More important at a time in our journey to finding somebody had understood this commonwealth, this fan base, and our program and what we needed. And he checked when I said checked the boxes, when the conversations, he checked every box. It was he knew exactly what we needed and he knew exactly the pathway that he needed to get it done.
Speaker 1: Checked every box is the new one of the newest expressions that we're all over using now. But that's okay because in this particular instance, you gotta have a list like that. You gotta have a guy checking boxes and didn't it seem like and he was well prepared. The guy's a Rhodes Scholar candidate. But Mark Pope knew exactly if I may use another overused metaphor, which buttons to push when he stood on stage, and one of them, of course, was right away talking about something that rub Kentucky fans the wrong way from day one now was Cali Perry's declaration, we don't care about winning the SEC. We don't care about when in the SEC tournament, although for a while there they owned it. He wanted six times, but you talk about not reading the room, and he tried to play catch up towards the end when his team was eliminated. This past year, I feel so bad for the fans, which he should said that after the NCAA tournament as well, but when it came to the SEC, he finally recognized the fact the fans spend their hard earned money. And he had mentioned it once or twice before, but he really hit it hard this year. Pupe hitted hard on Sunday.
Speaker 2: We're here to win banners in Nashville because you guys turn out.
Speaker 3: In Nashville like nobody else in that matters.
Speaker 4: And we are here.
Speaker 2: Our job here, our assignment is to go win banners in the final four, win national champions.
Speaker 3: That's our job, and.
Speaker 5: There's no reason you can't do both.
Speaker 1: Again, Calipari's teams did that, So Mark Pope's teams did that, and he will see to it. He'll do the best he can to see that they do it now. He also nodded toward tradition and literally nodded toward his former teammates and peers the former players about what it means to wear the Kentucky uniform and a lot of guys you know who have played under Calipari, they do, I really truly believe respect that. But Pope, that's an element of this, of this change over. The Pope hit pretty hard the tradition and what it takes to where the UK jersey and to have that honor.
Speaker 8: You know what all these players know that all of our future players are going to learn really quick, okay.
Speaker 9: Is that they are not doing those jerseys a favor by letting the jerseys clothe them. Our guys will know quickly, and it's hard not to know. It will be one of the great honors of their life to put that jersey.
Speaker 1: On and you better believe the crowd loved that one, so did the former players. That brings us, though, to the guys who are going to wear that jersey. And the guy, of course everybody wondered about, was Read Shepherd and this was a bit of a faux pas here.
Speaker 5: By Pope and Cameron.
Speaker 1: Most told me later that this was quite by accident, but it turned into a thing, didn't it.
Speaker 8: I believe these players man our job as coaches as we get to be shepherds.
Speaker 1: H Like I said, it was accidental, but it gave the Shepherds the family. Jeff was standing there. I don't believe Reid was there one more chance to realize if they didn't already, just how much this fan base appreciated Read. But I hate to say it, but it's my understanding that Reid will leave. And there's been a lot of speculation. I think most people expect him to, but it's my understanding that he will leave, Which brings us to another topic, and that is the roster transfers. Aaron Bradshaw leaving DJ Wagner in the portal. A lot of people are in the portal, but people are coming in and earlier today, Colin Chandler committed de committed to Brigham Young committed to Kentucky Big Guard. They call him a late bloomer, good size, apparently, good scoring ability. It's been on a mission trip for two years, so it may take him a little while to acclimate. But Travis Branham had something on Twitter earlier today for two four to seven Sports and other people had it as well that this guy has been released from his NLI and is heading for UK. So he is officially Mark Pope's first recruit. Ugo made an announcement earlier today announcing to no surprise that he will declare for the NBA Draft. But you got to scratch your head when he talks about how he wants to show the NBA his scoring ability. When we come back former Wildcats talking about the hire of Mark Pope, we're listening to the Best of the Big Blue Insider. More to come here on six thirty WLAP. It's Dick Gabriel. Welcome back to the Best of the Big Blue Insider. Tonight, we're looking back on the news conference you heard the coaches shows last night. Kenny Brooks was great, I thought, with Darren Heddrick, Nick Menngeone talking about his team, and of course Mark Pope talking to Tom Leech. But after the news conference was over, a lot of the former players hung around. They were asked to hang around, and they did, and we talked to several of them. It was great to talk to a lot of them, and they said similar things. Tony Delk talked about why he believed his former teammate was the right man for the job.
Speaker 10: You know, it's a great recessor for a great guy, and it's a remarkable. It's remarkable for us to walk in and just see twenty four twenty plus thousand people in here and just how much they love and enthusia asked about basketball. So I'm I mean, it doesn't get any better than this. When we say we have the best fan base, I truly believe that and have believed that for.
Speaker 3: Many many years.
Speaker 10: The right guy definitely right guy, you know, not just because it's my god. I think he understands the landscape of basketball, what it takes to win here, and the expectations. So when you have that in mind, you know you're not gonna be able to sleep a lot of nights, but you're thinking about what can I do to help us be the best, seen me compete and get to a final four, try to win the national championship. So it's it's worked though, But he has the right people ahund him. He's gonna hire good staff, he's going to schedule well, and with the support of the fan base here, I think it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Tony got a big round of applause when he put his image up on the big screen. Also Richie Farmer, who was like a lot of us, he was really surprised when he heard the name Mark Pulpe because you'd heard Hurley and Billy Donovan and other names, but Mark Pulpe, that was kind of a sudden.
Speaker 11: Thing nobody had ever even mentioned. And so I was like, do what And then I started to think about it. And I started to think about it because I know Mark, and I know how intelligent he is, and I know what a good coach he is, and I know where he come from. I know who coached him and who changed his life, and so I know the kind.
Speaker 5: Of makeup that he has, that he's a hard worker, that his.
Speaker 11: Teams, that he instills that same principles, those same principles in his teams, and it just started to make a lot of sense, and I thought, you know what.
Speaker 3: I'm in. I'm in, you know. So it took about twelve.
Speaker 11: Hours, but then I was like, that makes so much sense. And then I started to think, Man, this Barnhart guy, he's pretty good.
Speaker 1: The knock on mark, obviously is his postseason record hadn't been that great around here of late, but you feel like without the limitations that he finished at his other two stops, he's got a much better shot in the postseason.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 11: Well, I think so, you know, I think that there's no secret that, you know, recruiting at BYU and some of the the things that they have to sign, you know, in order to play there, and the oaths and the bowels and things. I mean, it makes it a lot more difficult to get the kind of players that a lot of guys like to go after. But I think he was he was smart and talking about today that he's gonna, you know, make sure that he recruits kids that fit his style and fits into what he's trying to do here, and I think that makes a whole lot of sense.
Speaker 1: I talk to Derek Anderson, who's quite active on social media and I asked him about the initial negative response to Mark Pope.
Speaker 13: Well, I told everybody, nobody started at the same place they they came in and nobody came.
Speaker 4: In here and just was winning.
Speaker 13: Gregutino didn't win, Nobody had won a cows first championship was here, So why are we putting pressure on this guy? And then everybody say, you know what, You're right, Let's wait, let's wait to see him. And that's how we had to just wait. But what happened was people got to a point and a lot of it wasn't even our fans, so I take that with a great and soot, but some of our fans. I had to remind him, like, hey, give him a chance because he's one of us. You know, you don't tear down one of us. You let him to grow and develop, and if he doesn't do his job, then let that be known. But you always want to support one of us. And I think that was the point that I kept putting my message across him, and I think they're starting to turn the circle down and see it and give him a chance.
Speaker 4: That's all I care about.
Speaker 5: Just give our guy a chance and see how he does.
Speaker 1: Winning at Utah Valley and then bringing me on with some certain limitations there. There are very few limitations here. As you know, that's.
Speaker 5: Gonna matter big.
Speaker 3: It's come out of big.
Speaker 13: But he said he wants to give guys who knows that, and he said that as honest to his statement, I want to get some guys who know what they're doing.
Speaker 3: And he doesn't know everything.
Speaker 13: And that's a good coach who says I don't know everything, but I want to get better, and I think Mark is gonna do that.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Best of the Big Blue Insider. More to come here on six thirty w LAP. It's Dick Gabriel. Welcome back to the Best of the Big Blue Insider. Read here in the garage once again, because he'd rather come to the garage than do it over the phone. Cameron Mills, it.
Speaker 4: Sounds better than it does.
Speaker 14: I love a sad as promised this though you're listening early on the show, hanging on for me to be on. You never know well and Dad, yeah, thank you, My mom, my dad, my wife. Those might be the three that are that are anxious about this promise.
Speaker 1: Everybody else takes it in stride, which just stops listening one the other.
Speaker 5: Well, Cameron agreed to come on, We've kind of waited. I didn't talk to you immediately after, which hurt my feelings.
Speaker 1: A Sunday press conference, Well, I knew you were being pulled.
Speaker 14: In a lot of It was a lot of new done, a lot of new non uh big blue insider directions.
Speaker 4: There you go, which is again why I was upset that where's my man, where's my buddy, Where's I don't know these people.
Speaker 1: Plus this was the best day to get you in the garage.
Speaker 14: Yes, except I've got conference calls and such this afternoon, but whatever.
Speaker 1: AnyWho, you are so happy I talked to you when the name first came up. Yeah, tell everybody about how you discovered that the deal was done because the name popped up as you and your wife were getting ready to.
Speaker 4: Turn Friday night.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, Friday night. No, actually is that afternoon? The name popped up and I sent it to a mutual friend of ours who's in the who's in the business or the industry as we say, and which the entertainment industry, the one that's currently getting to go downhill real fast? Because he did he go Anyway, I digest so I think I think that was a family guy thing. Anyway, so I felt, So let's back up real quick, real quick. Remember how I found out cal Perry was leaving from a Delta Gate agent. Oh, that's a Delta Gate agent. Monday morning that cal was leaving. He is at five five o'clock, five or fifteen in the morning, and the Delta Gate agents like, boy, can you believe it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what's the fly canceled? Is it delayed?
Speaker 14: He's like, no, no, cal Perry. I'm like, what about him? He said he's leaving. I'm like, oh, okay. I had no idea, and so even said, well, I didn't think i'd be telling you this. I don't have any kind of inside insight in of is. I don't have a sources I don't have I mean now, but I didn't before. But I found out the same way everyone else found out. I saw coach coach Pope, which that's good to take some getting used to. Some coach Pope names pop up. I mailed a mutual mail texted a mutual friend of ours. They said their response was, that's just his agent trying to get his name out there, you know, to get any more money. Which my response was, yeah, but his agent wouldn't lie, would he. I mean, my point is he's in the conversation, Barnhart is considering him. And then from that point I saw his name a couple more times, started kind of still thinking that as a long shot. It's a long shot, and then got the next morning it was practically a ton deal. I'm getting calls from people at UK who were, you know, wanting to put together that amazing thing that we saw on Sunday, and people saying, hey, listen, like Billy Toombs, who you and I have talked about, who's at UK. I mean reached out to not just Pope sex players meaning Pope sex teammates obviously.
Speaker 4: But everybody, everybody that an agent.
Speaker 14: We want as many ex players there as they could because that and of itself. Maybe it's something we're talking about or we've noticed I don't know, fans have thought about it maybe somehow, But this is the first time an ex player has ever been offered a job, much less taken the job. And see, and I keep forgetting about him because I forget he played here two years. Well so did Mark Marcole. He played here two years as he transferred well, no, he didn't read that one.
Speaker 1: Yet.
Speaker 4: He wasn't a red shirt.
Speaker 14: He was a stout because he transferred, so anyway, so either way, okay, so thank you. I'm glad you corrected me because I can say second of two players to not only be offered, but to take the job, but he was. He's the one player I think that popped up in our group text that he's referred to several times that he was suspiciously quiet on and now we know why that he was. That week we weren't hearing much from him. And then after it broke and everybody was like, ohoo, everybody's congratulating, he came with a with a text basically just you know, I don't say this enough, but I don't. I don't want this job without you guys. I don't, I don't. I don't get off of this job without you guys. And I And that wasn't a I don't want this job and you know, he just meant it was like, you know, you all are the reason I love Kentucky, and I think because we went to, as he said, to battle with him, and I love the way he did that. And he included all ex players the other day, it's like, look, look, you may be a next player, and you and I may not have battled together. I think it was this quote, but that we were the same and we've gone through the same because it doesn't matter what coach you have, there's this big frata cks players that have all been through the exact same pressure, and that's the pressure that it comes with playing at Kentucky, no matter.
Speaker 4: Who the coach is.
Speaker 14: So the group text that he sent that out and everybody was like so excited. But it was Oliver Simmons who put his name up in that group text early on because it was going on it was basically who do you think?
Speaker 4: Who do you think? Who do you think?
Speaker 14: And the usual names were coming up, and then Oliver Simmons is the one that I remember popped up and said what about Pope? And I even felt somewhat cringey about that, because I'm like, all right, got all Needwards's an assistant coach on here, Steve Massieli's assisant coach. I mean, you got other coaches on here, and you know, but I think Pope makes the logical sense. And I was surprised and thrilled to see when popet name popped up from Oliver Simmons. Everybody was on board. Everybody in that group text was on board, Like, yes, because of everything you saw on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you know that.
Speaker 14: That's a rhetorical question coming from you because you know him, and you know him, I would say, even a little bit better than most meeting. You know him, but you know who he is, how he is and what was thrilling for me. And I'm assumed for my teammates from ninety six to ninety seven ninety eight because we weren't on the team with him in ninety eight, but so many of us knew him, like we played with him from ninety six.
Speaker 4: But I think we all knew who he was.
Speaker 14: We knew the kind of person he was, the silliness, the exuberance, the excitement, the positivity, the enthusiasm, the I mean, you know, embrace adversity, attitude, his his his theory of the circle, which I think you and I have talked about before if you don't remember, But he'll bring that up at some point, I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Just he's just brilliant and.
Speaker 14: Then he he will. I said this last week. I think you and I even joked about it. I thought I came up with that off the off the top of my head. It was brilliant. He is not the kind of person that you run through a brickwall for He's the kind of person that has already run through.
Speaker 4: The brickwall for you. And I think everybody got to see that on Sunday.
Speaker 14: And granted it's all just words at this point, but that's what's exciting about the next few weeks and a few months and hopefully many many years, is that everybody's going to get to see that what we saw on Sunday is not an act. That is who Pope is and so win or lose, that's our head coach in all his great forms.
Speaker 4: That's our that's our head coach.
Speaker 14: And the funny thing is, and I'm biased, there are too many bad ones that there were that that you know.
Speaker 4: There are there. He'll admit when he makes mistakes.
Speaker 14: You know, I don't think he should be listening at ninety six group text that he's on, but he says he's going to. I don't think just because we're on there we love him and he's our boy, it doesn't think we're I don't think that means we're full of all great ideas, but you know.
Speaker 4: I think he just he's just proud to be back here.
Speaker 14: And I've got a picture because Susan grabbed us front seats, which I love.
Speaker 4: But yeah, my.
Speaker 14: Wife, she she They told us whifs go out there and grab seats players on the bus, right, Well, so I get out there and we're off the bus now and I'm looking around.
Speaker 4: I asked, I asked some of them, like, where's my wife?
Speaker 14: And they pointed, she's on the front road next to the barnard. And I'm like, well, don't Babe's great seats. But I mean, just what we saw on Monday was just I think everything Sunday, everything shepperd I've been saying for a couple of days.
Speaker 4: Shep said to me.
Speaker 1: He said, people when they see him are going to wonder is this real? Hey? Can this honestly be him? And who he's about what he is? And he said, it won't take long before you realize that's.
Speaker 4: Really it's annoyingly him.
Speaker 14: I mean, you know, I mean, Sheppe even said that the other day when when TD and I and Shep did that.
Speaker 4: Podcast for UK Network.
Speaker 14: He was talking about how all right, dude, calm down right, you know, call I get the enthusiasm, calm down. And then TD pipes in and says, oh, it'll calm down. Coach pell run it.
Speaker 4: Out of him.
Speaker 14: I don't think Coach Per ever ran it out of him. I mean, I know he was tired after some practices.
Speaker 5: But wait, when he first got here, you all said calm down.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah that was what yeah if you know what, yeah, CHP tells him becau ship. They were roommates all three years. Basically, I thought you meant this this one. No no, no, no, no, no, no no. He was kind of he was excited but humbled.
Speaker 15: No.
Speaker 14: No, we're talking about back in the day when he and first met, because that was the question, what was the first time you met Mark?
Speaker 5: He was bouncy.
Speaker 4: Oh, just you know.
Speaker 14: SHEP tells the story about how he's got his Cannondale bicycle on his shoulder, he's wearing his hat backwards, he's got flip pops on.
Speaker 4: I mean, just classic, you know, like.
Speaker 14: West Coast pope, right, And so Shep Shep's meeting, he was like, seems.
Speaker 4: Like a cool dude.
Speaker 14: Then he wouldn't he wouldn't stop being enthusiastic and positive, and at some point shep said he was like, I get it, but it's what was perfect is they were perfect roommates for each other. And then TD pipes in and he says, and this again, this the other day, talking about Mark's meeting Pope for the first time. He's like, calm down. And then he thought, I don't have to tell him, Colm down. Coach p is gonna run this right out of him. And I don't know that Coach ever did, because because you see, you've seen how Pope. Pope was the one that as we would finish a three hour long marathon. And I don't know that he ever specifically said these words, but this is the kind of player he was and the kind of leader he was. We would be done. Coach p would say, all right, let's you know, circle up, you know, you know, we'll break here and that'll be it. And Pope would be the kind of teammates they'd be like, Coach, let's get one more suicide and let's get one more good sprint ind And I'm like.
Speaker 4: No, no, shut up.
Speaker 14: But that's who Pope is is that he will go further than you think you can go.
Speaker 4: And when you got somebody on the team. They'll do that. Man, that makes a big difference.
Speaker 1: Cameron Mills in the garage. Of course we're talking about Mark Pope, his former teammate, his friend and a new head coach of the Wildcats as well. Know we'll come back and talk more about this topic. You're listening to the best of the Big Blue Insider. More to come here on six thirty w lap. Hey, it's Dick Gabriel and you're listening to the best of the Big Blue Insider. Welcome back to the Big Blue Insider here in the Garage with Cameron Mills, two time NCA champion, teammate of UK head coach Mark Pope, and a guy we've heard a lot from Kyle Tucker's story and athletic.
Speaker 4: By the way, I haven't read it yet. I just don't read. No, I don't. Well, it's it's behind it's behind the paywall.
Speaker 14: I love you, Kyle, but I'm not a subscriber as of this year.
Speaker 4: I am. I may still I may still off.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: No, I read that's the thing.
Speaker 14: I read the first paragraph and then I can't get past the paywall, and I'm like, all right, well that's the best intro I've ever had.
Speaker 4: So ever, maybe I'll let you read. But I've heard great things about the art.
Speaker 1: It really is and uh and there's been a lot of good things written and said about Mark.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Following Sunday's you know pep rally news conference, can.
Speaker 4: We talk about how silly that was?
Speaker 1: Well, let me, I was going to ask you this. I know you could have expected that kind of show now, but what do you think.
Speaker 5: I've asked everybody this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you think that said? What was the message from the big We all know what Mark's message was?
Speaker 5: What was a message from the fan base?
Speaker 14: I think the message was because I completely understand anybody who even now doubts what he what I believe he's going to do. I mean, he was not a He was not the shiny pick. He was not the Danny Hurley or even the Scott Drew or the Billy Donovan or the Bruce Pearl whoever else Barnhart was sincerely looking at or talking to because again I don't know. But what I do know is that on Monday of the cow story breaking, there were a bunch of us who thought on the team, and I think some other people as well, but I'm I'm telling people, I'm like, well, I don't know it's going to be, but it needs to be this guy. And it wound up and wound up being that that that that that early you were on the Pope I was on always. I think we've I think to some degree we've all been. All his teammates, we've all been like, okay, of all And I'll speak for myself. I'm assuming this about my teammates. But I'm assuming because we have conversations all the time, especially when we're together, and some of them get very very honest. That tex Troup gets very very honest, And so I think you're we all are like even if we hadn't thought about it before, when we thought about it, it made sense. But to me, and I think to most of my teammates, his name just like Oliver Simmons bringing his name up in the group chat to be he was the first one that brought his name up, And I mean it was like.
Speaker 4: A pylon in a good way.
Speaker 14: That's it because either we had been thinking that for years that even as great as all of our other teammates are, that are coaches, Alan Scott, Steve Massiello, you know, our guys that are NBA scouts, that are you know, basketball is their life. This is the one that made the most sense because I think a lot of it is we know how mentally tough he is Ah and I think that is the one a binding thing. I mean, we all know he's enthusiastic, we all know he's the hardest worker.
Speaker 4: We all know. It makes sense from what he's done.
Speaker 14: At Utah Valley and BYU. But one of the big things that I think we're missing, and I think I missed this one I originally thought of him was he is the by far the most mentally tough person from that ninety sixteen I don't think, and that would include Anthony Epshue. You know, I talked about how mentally tough he is, but I think Mark was the one that always was preaching, you know, overcoming adversity, and so he knows. He admitted to press conference, this is a meat grinder. It is cow was the one. He's the second longest tenured coach we've ever had. It's it did, and I think that's what we saw from his that that video he sent out Isa it look, we all need a different voice and maybe I'm sure.
Speaker 4: He sounded sincere. Maybe he was.
Speaker 14: I think we owe a lot for what he did during his fifteen years here. But I think Hope was just the right person at the right time. And I think, you know, if he turns out to be as successful as I think we all think he's going to be, then I think, honestly, I mean, I still think this.
Speaker 4: I think Mitch hit a grand slam. Well.
Speaker 5: Getting back though to my question about the fan base, Oh.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I'm sorry, that's so I getstracted with my own story. Oh you no, But I mean.
Speaker 1: That was more than just a show of support. That was more than just curiosity.
Speaker 4: Yes, I do believe.
Speaker 1: That was an absolute statement by the FT.
Speaker 14: I don't think five thousand people wait in line don't get in for curiosity. I think when we were on the back of that bus, we were told there were ten thousand people out there, which we were like here, and I think before to be fair, I think five thousand was made up by you media, but nonetheless there was I was on the back of the bus. I was not playing media that day anyway, So I think the show up because when we pulled out.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you know this not. You know, the bus hit the wall pulling in. Did you know that? Nobody knows that.
Speaker 14: I'm like, oh, we hit it pretty hard, actually, because I remember saying.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's not an omen was going on.
Speaker 4: It's not a good start.
Speaker 14: But the fans showing up, the five thousand that waited, Man, God bless you all. To me, what mattered is that Friday night to Saturday morning. Certainly this Sunday afternoon there was a one hundred and eighty reflip from most fans. And for those who still doubt, I get it. He hasn't proved anything yet, but there's little doubt in those of us who know him that he's going to prove it to you soon enough if he didn't on Sunday. And that's what made that's why I teared up so many times Sunday number one. I mean, just the thrill of seeing him up there next to Barnhardt and then looking around. I mean, like I said, we were told ten thousand while we were on the bus, then we were told fifteen thousand while we're on the bus, and then we pull out and there's twenty thousand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the number I've seen.
Speaker 5: I have two and quite frankly, are you going.
Speaker 4: To be a member of that? Are you gonna be a journalist here?
Speaker 1: And get us to the right now, the mathematician, you know, the capacity being what it is, the floor seats not.
Speaker 14: There, right, But the floor seats were there, not all of them, but there were a lot.
Speaker 5: Of a lot of them.
Speaker 4: But you got five thousand people.
Speaker 5: I'm about to say.
Speaker 1: The bottom line is the place was jammed and there were people who wanted to get in and couldn't. And the other thing too, Cameron, and you played there. You played through one of the greatest periods of Kentucky basketball. And the spirit is the best word I come back to that in that building was as good as it's ever been.
Speaker 14: It was old school, I think, and I think that's again what excited us, because Mark, not only the stories of Mark and what people researched on their own of Mark in that's forty eight hour period between Friday night and Sunday afternoon. I think that's what turned a lot of people because again, no one, no one except those of us who knew who he was and knew he was a coach on the rise. I don't think anyone had him as as an option, and that's why I'm so thrilled, obviously, but even even shocked that Barnhart was talking to him. But gosh, I don't think he could have made a better move. But when the fans show up like that, yeah, it's not a it's not a let's go see, it is a you know, we're on board. And then if you weren't on board, even if you did show up out of curiosity, which I guarantee people tuned in out of curiosity, I would have a feeling they're at least leaning towards him more now than they were before. Because even if you're doubting, because you're one of these people that I want to see results, which I understand. He said the very same thing from his press conference. This is not We're not here to do anything other than hang banners. How many times have you heard that the last years?
Speaker 4: Never it was all about that.
Speaker 5: Cali Perry alluded to that when he.
Speaker 1: Was when he was hired because he knew he was bringing in great players, right, But he didn't.
Speaker 14: Flatly state no, no, and not And not only did Mark state that, he stated the SEC tournament he made a point of doing everything, saying everything and here's the key checklist did but I promise you, I promise you he's genuine and everything he said about that checklist, it may have been a checklist. And the funny thing is, I know he had some of a checklist because I feel like the SEC comment was a shot at cal intentionally unintentionally.
Speaker 4: The Shepherd thing, I promise you was unintentional.
Speaker 14: That was a complete accident because Mark immediately ran up to Shepperd apologized for that. The fans just kind of took off on that, and I think it a really fun But by.
Speaker 1: The way, I don't think it was a personal shot at Caliperry. I think I think when he talked about the the SEC, I think it was a reassurance to the fan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 14: But at the same time, you can't help but think, Okay, but the last coach he had the reputation of not caring about that. Yeah, we're saying he didn't.
Speaker 4: I think that.
Speaker 14: I think that's a great point is that I've told people for years, and it's gonna be interesting now if my actually is gonna change because I told people for years you never believe a head coach when he's behind a microphone, just like you never believe a politician was by you, don't. They're not going to tell you the truth because they don't want you to tell other people. And can the other players or other teams whatever. He shuts, that's that's not who Mark is though. I mean, did you see the doubt about whether or not to have open practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm like, is he kidding? Yeah? He he knows practice can't be open.
Speaker 5: It used to be. It used to be in Kentucky. It's Joeby's were open.
Speaker 4: I just can't.
Speaker 14: But not in this age, not in Yeah, it can't be because of film video. But I just to me, even in Joby's era, I did not know that. So you've taught me two things about Joe be in this last hour.
Speaker 1: That and honestly when Eddie first got here was they began to close practice during the late eighties and c investigation, uh.
Speaker 4: Practice, well forget it.
Speaker 14: He is strip shirt is so yeah, he's so paranoid about I mean, you know Jerry Klinch.
Speaker 4: I think it was Jerry Clangelow.
Speaker 14: So it was somebody very much up in the in the basketball world, not just the NBA or college I mean the world of basketball, and he almost he literally got thrown out of our practice by an unbeknownst manager.
Speaker 4: Your manager did not know who he was.
Speaker 14: This guy's sitting on the front row and the manager goes up and says, sir, I'm sorry, but our practices are closed because you know, thankfully sees what's going on, looks across the court and says, it's okay.
Speaker 5: Klango's NBA or the thing.
Speaker 14: It wasn't Jerry Colangelo, but it was somebody like him, And I knew who this guy was. That's how bad it was. I've recognized that face, but I don't know who he is. But yeah, don't ask him to leave.
Speaker 4: I think he's here with permission.
Speaker 1: Camera Mills in the garage with us the studio slash garage. We'll talk more about UK basketball and Mark Pope on the other side of the break. You're listening to the best of the Big Blue Insider. Our number two is next here on six thirty w lap. Hey, it's Stick Gabriel. Welcome back to the Big Blue Insider. Our number two taking a little time off, so please enjoy the best of the Big Blue Insider.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to the garage. Camer Mills is here with us.
Speaker 1: We're talking, of course about his former teammate, his friend Mark Pope, the new head coach, And you mentioned earlier that I might know him a little bit better. I did more than one show you and I did one together with him, but I taped a couple with him right after the championship back in ninety six. However, I did one of first of all, shamelessly plug our doc We had a string of three successful documentaries.
Speaker 14: Associated to press, documentaries of the Kentucky documentaries of the year, that's right.
Speaker 1: And you came to me about this first one because you guys had planned your reunion, the controversial reunion in Miami.
Speaker 4: People up here got upset.
Speaker 5: The words are having election, and you know, like it's it's for us.
Speaker 4: It's we did we had we had it Sunday, Sunday.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: But you guys decided in a meeting or something, and somebody goes, how about Miami? Okay, great, because Patino had.
Speaker 14: A boat, you know, had a boat and a place, and you know, and again, what's wrong with my troll south Beach?
Speaker 4: You know, if we were at South Beach, what's wrong with Miami?
Speaker 1: But anyhow, you came up with the idea to shoot a documentary.
Speaker 14: Well, actually no, it wasn't my idea. It was Terry Miner's idea. What Terry Minor had the idea because I don't, and I feel like it was you that told me that, because I know somebody told me, because I think what happened is is that Terry and Tony Terry Tony Tony Terry Minor was always very close. Yeah, but Terry was always very close, I think with Patino.
Speaker 4: And so when there.
Speaker 14: Yeah, absolute Terry Minor, absolutely a legend on radio. And I think Terry, I think his name popped up as the group tech started building about the excitement for the union, his name popped up. Is somebody wanting to do a document something, some kind of special report, and then he actually, my understanding is he bowed out because he thought that just doesn't it's not going to translate well to radio, which I agree, but it sparked. It sparked in my mind. Well yeah, but I mean he's still Terry Minor. He could do something right, Surely he's got connections. And so I was like, well, somebody ought to cover this. I mean, this, this is gonna be and My thought was, I didn't know what the ori originally, what I thought it. I didn't think it turned into what it was. I don't know what I thought it would turn into what it might even become. But it was gonna be. I knew there was gonna be a plethora of stories that were not And I always say this that we're not then if you're on the team at least, but that are hysterical now. And when you get a group of us together, they don't stop. I mean the other day and when I when I met Pope's daughters, and I'd met his wife before, but when I met his daughters, they're like, you know, I introduced myself and They're like.
Speaker 4: Oh, you're the one who And I'm like, wait a minute, what he like, Oh, Dad talks about you all NonStop.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 14: And I'm like, okay, well that makes sense because you know we taught I mean in the documentary you're talking about, which by the way, is called The Team. It's available on vimeo dot com or check my Twitter or Facebook. I've made some posts about it recently. I mean, I've lowered the price, by the way, in ninety nine cents. It's as low as I can. I know it's as low as I can go, as low as Vimeo will let me go, or I would have made it for free because I want people to see who Mark is, and Mark shines out in this documentary.
Speaker 4: He really really does.
Speaker 14: And who you see on the documentary is exactly who you saw on Sunday and exactly who you'll see any other time. That's just who Mark is. So but yeah, I just knew the stories would be great. And then we wound up, you know you and I thought the story was gonna go the story of the documentary was going to go one way, and it turned out going an entirely different way, which to me makes it a great documentary.
Speaker 1: I will tell you that the maxstory on and as Jason Epperson worked with us an accomplished established Emmy.
Speaker 4: Award winning the award winning way.
Speaker 14: And by the way, that documentary that we're talking about did not get a nominated for Nimmy, but the next one.
Speaker 1: That's right. Anyhow, we sat down, I had a meeting with Cameron and we had.
Speaker 5: To explain to you that it needed a theme. What's the story? And easily easily you said stories. Easily you said it'll be how terrified we all were of Rick.
Speaker 4: You did that not come across.
Speaker 1: It came across in the best Mark Post story.
Speaker 5: But the other day, Oh god, but but it Basically when we talked to the more established veteran players, it was not they weren't afraid of Beteina. Yeah they were, but they were, like you.
Speaker 1: Their whole thing was they were afraid in a different I'm afraid this guy's not going to play.
Speaker 4: Me, which I was not. My fear. No, I was not struggling with that fear in ninety six. I was convinced he was going to play me. Was total. He was on a few occasions and then was terrible. Oh well yeah, but no.
Speaker 5: Their whole thing was how's he going to do this?
Speaker 16: You know?
Speaker 1: But what I got to thinking about this after I got home Sunday. I remember in ninety four that Kentucky team fell short your freshman year.
Speaker 4: You're talking about the Elleite eating inst Carolina ninety four? Was you you were still? Yeah?
Speaker 17: I was.
Speaker 1: They get beat I think by Marquette in yea. That year they were not a great rebounding team, and Rick Batino kept saying, yes, I do remember this, that's going to change next year, it was Mark popees on the way.
Speaker 14: He was more about rebounding though, because I remember coaching. I mean, it was about you know, I think shirt whoever we played in that tournament game. We got roughed up a bit physically in ninety four, yeah, the game before Mark became eligible. Basically, whether it's Mark, yeah, there's Marquette. So we got physically roughed up. Because I remember coach p of course I'm still in high school, saying this won't happen next year, but he even mentioned I think Marky by name more than once. And then we come back for that next season, which is my freshman year, so every all this is new to me. But I remember coach I think, basically saying you know, and I don't know when he would have said this, maybe he said this to the to the press, but he felt like he was putting too much pressure on Pope, and you know, it's like he was pulling back the expectations.
Speaker 4: A little bit. But the reality is that it did change.
Speaker 14: I mean, I don't know the practice is different because woudn't hear the year before, but I know practice was physical and boody, and as Pope said, vomity, and it's such a such a great story, and such a perfect Pope story too. I mean, who throws up in the middle of their shirt in the middle of practice and thinks it's not going anywhere. Apparently a Rhodes scholar does, because he's the one that didn't think. And then the next thing I know, we got teammates slipping in the floor. Coach PE's rant and raving and I'm move around the sideline like, boy, it's a different world I live in now.
Speaker 1: Well, he did tell the Walter McCarty story, yep, more than once, and he told that to us on camera.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And one of the reasons is that, Yeah, I wrote out about the documentary was because and I had watched it in a while, but I just played a couple of clips and I remember thinking Mark Pope was the star of that show now. To me, in terms of the sit down interviews I did, to me, the most my favorite part was the video we shot on the boat when you guys got together and had a little cocktail party, you guys, you know and everything. At first, it was as many of these things are joking and laughing, but it settled into kind of a discussion where Rick would talk to you guys and then you guys. I remember Anthony Epp said, when did you know that we had what it took? And then later on Rick said, you know, if we're he and he still believed and I do too, in the modern era, best team ever, and he said, if I were coaching against this team today, I would have no idea how to stop it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Well, you know one thing that Mark said in the press conference, at least I believe he did. It may have been what someone said, maybe what Tony Yrship said in the in the in the podcast, I'm getting everything kind of con bolluted at this point. But there is a lot of you know, what today would be considered innovative offense. That's what Pope runs. It's not innovative. It's thirty thirty five years old. I mean, it is almost precisely what Patino runs. There's some different wrinkles, but it's the same basic offense and attitude towards offense in general. It's you know, you heard, we're going to share the ball. If you go back and look at Patino's first years, or even I mean any of his years for that matter, it was all about not ball movement, but moving without the ball, like there were backdoor cuts, there were there were you know, the ball is going to move. It has no choice because everyone else is moving. And so it's not just about coming off a triple stagger screen on one side. It's about what's that second man going to do after he comes off, after he set the double of the triple stagger screen. Is he flashing or is he going wide to the wing? I mean, there's going to be so much movement. It's basically one of the reasons that Golden State Warriors run this offense. And it's not not saying that copy that you told me. It's basically the Warriors offense a lot of threes. Look, no, we don't have a Steph Curry so well, not yet. I don't think we ever will, to be perfectly honest, but who will now you never know. But uh, I think that's that's the part where just there's gonna be a lot of change in You know, if Cali Perry ever did roll out the ball, which he never did, at least I never saw him ever do anything close to that. I went to some practice, went to some pre game or walkthroughs, and it was all serious all the time.
Speaker 4: But it's gonna be different.
Speaker 17: Now.
Speaker 14: It is going to be different. And that's not a shot at cal Perry. It's just what I know about Pope, how Pope was coached, how I was coached. There are gonna be differences in how he was coached and how he coaches, but they're not going to be huge differences. I think the only real difference is going to be one guy was more and maybe negative. The other guy is going to be more, maybe positive. And I don't know what that's gonna lead to, except maybe some guys that aren't leaving terrified for their lives, which sometimes we did.
Speaker 1: I was trying to picture though last night, when I was thinking about my conversation with you, uh Mark, Pope being a bad cop yelling at somebody. You know what it's gonna happen.
Speaker 14: But well he well he yelled at guys during practice, but it was always in this positive All right, let's go now, all right, here we go.
Speaker 4: Everybody Guys like.
Speaker 1: All right, you're listening to the best of the Big Blue Insider. Want to come here on six thirty w LAP It's Dick Gabriel. Welcome back to the best of the Big Blue Insider Cameron Mills here in the garage. Of course, we're talking about Mark Pope, his former teammate, the new head coach of the Wildcats, And before the break we talked about offense. What about he described and explained his defense, but he just kind of you know, he couldn't sit there and break it down. But do you know much this was not your specialty? I know this was not And did you also did you did you get a chance to the last few years to well and you don't stay up as late as I do.
Speaker 5: But see Brigham Young play at all?
Speaker 4: I have not seen I've seen them play in the last week.
Speaker 14: Obviously, I've watched the videos and watched some of their players play obviously in videos. But to me, I Mark plays the same now when he was at Utah Valley. I mean, he's got a an mo as a coach, just like every coach has. And I think one of the things that I think fans will be And he said this on Sunday, so this isn't news, but you know he's and again this was this seemed to be different from how Caliperi approached things, which was if I need to change something up. I'm gonna change something up. If if if, if I've not prepped a team for a certain way of play and we come out we're a team's playing us differently. I expected we're gonna have to make some changes. We're gonna have to make some adjustments. I think obviously, I think, you know, one thing that fans are probably wondering, or maybe they're not wonder They probably know what this way. I think there will be some own defense. But I think the exciting thing is one thing that I think Mark said at this at the press conference that to me was like, oh, this is just straight p meaning coach Patino, is that we're going to throw a lot of stuff at them. I don't know if you remember that part of the past press conference, but it stood out to me because so many times, and I don't know how many people were aware that we were doing it, because sometimes we weren't aware that we were doing it, I don't think, but we would change from offense to zone back to from zone demand back to man in the same thirty five second shot clock. I mean we did it specifically against I want to say Iowa, State of Iowa in the second round of the ninety seven tournament. We literally had a team in do you remember was Iowa State or Iowa whoever it was. They had a team where they were offensively, they were dangerous because they had a great point guard, they had a great big man, and coach Coach Patino's solution to their offense was, We're going to go manda man for the first fifteen seconds of every shot clock and then I tell you what it was, the first twenty seconds of very shoklack. Yeah, and then at fifteen seconds and Anthony Epsto was his job to be watching the opposite shot clock and to know when we were switching to a one two two, And in the middle of a shot clock, we go from manda man to immediately everyone is in a one two two. And the whole point was to throw Iowa or Iowa State, whoever we play Iowa, to throw Iowa completely off their game because they were going against the man and man now of a sudden, wait a minute, they're in his zone. We've got to all get to our spots. And it works several times. I mean, I mean specifically, there were possessions where we knew that simply our change in defense had surprised them, thrown thrown them off.
Speaker 4: They weren't ready.
Speaker 14: They wound up taking a bad shot or throwing a pass that would have been there if we'd been in a man and man but it wasn't because we were on his own. So I think there's gonna be a lot more of that, which I think you could say is innovative. I mean, oh yeah, it's not just he's going to and I think that's one of the things that where there needs to be some grace. And I would always argue that this with cala Perry's team as well. Do not think that the team you see in October is the team are going to see in March, because there is so much with Pope especially. I don't know if they're going to thirty five page scouting reports like we have, but there's so much He is going to want to ingest into them as a team to get them to play his style of balls. That's problem one. But then you got to ingest all the stuff about the team you play, which that's gonna be. The next thing is there's gonna be a lot these guys are gonna have to ingest. And that's in just four hours a day.
Speaker 1: You played Iowa second round Montana the first round, which I barely remember.
Speaker 4: Look at are you looking at the stats?
Speaker 14: You'll notice number twenty one had a huge block in that game against Montana.
Speaker 4: It was it was more like a looking at bike, It was more like a volleyball spike.
Speaker 14: I absolutely took a guy, no offense to him, who looked like he was maybe in his forties at the time when he played in his twenties from Montana. He took a jump shot and I pitched it out of bounds, literally almost pinning in against the wall that was standing a foot from where I was in bound.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 1: That was the Salt Lake City. Coincidentally, it was Utah. And you go to Santasee, you beat St. Joe's and Utah the utes right who you guys beat next to following.
Speaker 4: And would beat the next and the and the year before. We picked them out three years in a row.
Speaker 5: Yeah you beat Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then but here's the thing.
Speaker 1: The Utah game was all that changing defense until the light in Arizona, I mean Iowa gat Uh that was a six point win.
Speaker 5: Soa all that defense that made a big difference.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it made a different well, we got a.
Speaker 1: Few minutes left. But you talked about the team we're gonna see on the floor.
Speaker 4: Who are they gonna be?
Speaker 1: And by that, I mean tell me about the recruiting the poor I mean he's up against it right now. You know have two guys for sure, the kid who flipped from from b y U and Travis Perry, who you know, as long as he can guard a little bit.
Speaker 14: Yeah, the way he shoots the ball, you gotta think to handles the ball. That's the thing that stood out to me in the sweet games I saw but one.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean, I you knew he could shoot. But I'll tell you what he went up against.
Speaker 14: Was it Trevor Noah I think his name is that plays in Harlan And I mean I honestly I looked at both of them. Now, Now, Trevor did not have a great or Trent no I think his name is. He did have a great name, a great championship game, and Travis did, But I Noah. I mean, you know, it's funny. And I haven't talked to Mark. I'm not I won't talk to him about recruiting or any of that stuff. But like Noah may be a kid that he may want to reach out to, because I mean, you had two Kentucky kids that I saw this hit. I'm like, I think both of them maybe if not next year, but you know, the way a typical team can work, maybe there's two kids right there that'll be like, you know, rock stars for us in the next couple of years.
Speaker 4: Because they're both.
Speaker 14: I mean, Noah kind of reminds me of a Chris Lofton and Travis Perry kind of reminds me of I mean, first of all, he's just he can shoot. For me, He's like a Richie Farmer. Yeah, he can shoot from anywhere on the court. He's got great ball handling, he's quick, he's his basketball smart.
Speaker 4: It's smart. I think as maybe Reid was.
Speaker 14: Reid might have a little bit of an anticipation about him that's better than Travis's.
Speaker 4: But that's yet to be seen.
Speaker 5: I think on this level, trying to know by the way, committed to South Carolina.
Speaker 1: But sometimes kids flip.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, that's all the kids are doing right now, that's the whole point of the portal.
Speaker 14: And I think I feel like if Mark reached out to him, I feel like he consider coming here but again, I think what we're gonna get are guys. And Mark said this, We're gonna get guys who are good for here. Yes, And I don't think it's exactly how he put it, but he said. I think he said whose hearts are here? And I don't think he just meant Kentucky boys. I don't think he just meant guys who want to play at Kentucky.
Speaker 1: But he kept referencing you, kept pointing you guys. Yeah, it's gonna be the same as when you guys were here. Well name on the front.
Speaker 14: Well, and that's what it becomes. But because let's be honest, most of the guys that I played with, with exceptions of a myself, A Scott Pageant and Jeff Shepherd, most of those guys came to play for Patino.
Speaker 4: They did true.
Speaker 14: So they just learn while they're here, a lah Mark Pope right, they learn why they're while they're here, what Kentucky basketball across the front of that chest means. And then, as you saw on Sunday, it can carry on thirty years, but home still is Lexington. Yeah, and that's what Pope spoke and said, and that is the truth in his heart.
Speaker 4: I promise you. And that's what I think people are excited about.
Speaker 1: UK Sports video has about an eleven minute clip out there on social media where.
Speaker 5: Pope driving up to Rupper. It's a brilliant piece UK Sports.
Speaker 1: Peter Greg Gorm's people knocking out of the park all the time they do, but it captured Pope's passionate enthusiasm and talking about his daughters get tired of hearing.
Speaker 5: It, but they love it.
Speaker 14: You I mean, I mean, at this point, I'm like, you know what I'll talk about, Mark Pope, I'll talk about to Blue in the faith.
Speaker 1: Putting that documentary, I left more Mark Popes up on the cutting room floor because he was so great, so brilliant brother, Thank you so much, and we'll keep in touch. We're listening to the best of the Big Blue Insider. More to come here on six thirty w LAP. It's Dick Gabriel. Welcome back to the Best of the Big Blue Insider. Kentucky knocked off Oregon State, no stranger to the College World Series Wildcats, though making their first trip to Omaha.
Speaker 5: Oregon State, as you.
Speaker 1: May know by now, won three national championships twice in the Arts six and seven again in twenty eighteen, Oregon State was looking to make it's eighth trip to the College World Series, and it actually made three straight trips back in the odds, winning at six and seven but falling short in five.
Speaker 5: Made it to Omaha but did not win.
Speaker 1: But Mitch Candon, the head coach, was a player back then, and he was asked about what it's like to get there for the first time as a team. Oregon State had been there in nineteen fifty two, but then that long layoff until five. He talked about what it was like back then for the Beavers to reach the World Series after such a long layoff, and when you listen to what he says, think about that in terms of what the Wildcats are feeling.
Speaker 12: Right now, it's an amazing accomplishment. You know, Kentucky's got a great team obviously. I mean the way they played all year long, the they understand they're playing in the small game, they're playing the speed, they're the heck out of it. They neutralized a really good offense. I mean we went out there, we stung some baseball's hard. Trotsky hit one down the line that like, well, that puts puts a guy in scoring position.
Speaker 17: Right there, Webber smashed the ground ball to shortstop. Anyway, that's not what the question was.
Speaker 12: But you know, thinking back when we made it to Omaha and five and having that feeling winning out at Supers and going to Omaha that first year, we would oh and two real quick and got sent sent home and then it just felt like a blur because you had never experienced it before.
Speaker 17: But it just made you hungrier to go out and do that. And six we even started off what it was in eleven to one to Miami with some rain, and then we came back on fire and never.
Speaker 12: Looked back at It's obviously a lot of confidence and momentum that can be built from that belief.
Speaker 17: The relationships you build. Every game you get to play with those guys around it, your relationship gets stronger and stronger.
Speaker 12: I mean, I know, I go check my phone after this and there's a text thread of all of us from six and seven that are on it, and I know they're going to be saying some stuff on there to pick us all up.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 17: It's a.
Speaker 12: It's a life changing thing when you're able to accomplish like those big moments and move on and even how you handle the tough moments I think can bring you a lot closer too.
Speaker 1: So Mitch Cannam, the head coach at Oregon State, knows the feeling of getting to the College World Series. He also knows the feeling of winning the College World Series, which Oregon State did twice while he was a catcher there back in the mid auds. And now, of course the head coach, but his team falling short, losing to the Wildcats last night in the Lexington Super Regional. I will leave you now with the melt as we say, the highlight melt of last night's win of Oregon State, as Darren Hedrick and Keith Madison called it for.
Speaker 5: The UK Sports Network.
Speaker 1: Next Omaha, that's it.
Speaker 5: Good night from the garage and Lexington.
Speaker 3: Zana takes a hopping lead at first. The three to two got him with a slider that comes through the front door and parks in the living room. Here's the one one swung on and lined over third.
Speaker 18: That's a fair ball and it's gonna get all the way into the left field wall and bounce off the corner. Nicholson makes it the third. They're gonna send him. Here comes the throw from left. It is offline Nicholson process. It's an RBI double for Nolan McCarthy and Kentucky's up.
Speaker 3: One to nothing. The pitch, here's the two to oh.
Speaker 18: He squares and bunts it softly up the first baseline daily coming home.
Speaker 3: He's safe. He's in there ahead of the tag.
Speaker 18: Oregon State the first baseman, Guera bare handed the ball softly up the first base line, immediately shoveled underhand, but Webber in front of the plate.
Speaker 3: Not enough time to turn around with the tag Runners will move.
Speaker 18: The payoff pitch got him on the inside corner with a fastball strike three inning over a.
Speaker 3: Three to two part two struck him out swinging with a change up.
Speaker 11: Another outstanding inning by Cameron O'Brien, five.
Speaker 3: Strikeouts for the right hander, two two game.
Speaker 18: In the seventh the two and he struck him out, but the ball got away from Weber. McCarthy to third. There's nobody at cover in the play. It's a foot rice.
Speaker 3: He dines across.
Speaker 18: Safe, Nobody covered home for Oregon State and McCarthy stores from second as graft Smith arrives at first.
Speaker 3: Whit's a three to two Kentucky lead. Here's the one two swinging a mass. He struck him out with a slider.
Speaker 5: That was a huge strikeout by Robert Hogan.
Speaker 18: The old one to McDowell, swung on and lined up the middle. Grant Smith clocks it, inning.
Speaker 3: Over two to one.
Speaker 18: Line shot turns into a bounce to Grant Smith. In short he flips the first heading over. Robert Hogan is fired up and so are the Big Blue Nation. Here's the one swung on in mind.
Speaker 3: Locked down by Daily at third The throw got up two aways. What a play by Mitch Daily at third base.
Speaker 11: Wow, he laid out and made a perfect crew over Ryan Nicholson for the out.
Speaker 18: The Wildcats are one out a way, hands together nothing in two to McDowell.
Speaker 3: Hummel's pitch, cold strike, three ball game over. The wait is finally over. Roll out the big Blue carpet in Omaha.
Speaker 18: The University of Kentucky Wildcats are headed to the College World Series. Kentucky defeats Oregon State three to two. They flood the field from that third base stugout and talk piled to the right side of the mound.
Speaker 1: They're listening to the best of the Big Blue Insider More to come here. On six thirty WLAP. It's Dick Gabriel. Welcome back to the best of the Big Blue Insider. Earlier we were talking about Jerry West because so many tributes poured in about Jerry West over the last twenty four hours since his passing on Wednesday at the age of eighty six. And I pulled this off social media. Somebody posted this speech he made, not really his speech, but his comments. He was at sort of a roundtable forum and he opened up personally about how his life changed as a young man from a very small town, as I mentioned earlier in West Virginia, had never played with African American players, so they got to college and the effect that some of those guys that he played with had on him as a basketball player and as a person. And this was a really I thought moving soliloquy by and by Jerry West. And this popped up yesterday.
Speaker 15: I want to talk about the greatest learning lesson I ever have in my life.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 15: I went to school and never played against a black man until I was in college. I graduated from school and played against a few black players at that point in time during my career. The most important peat people in my life were five five black men five. I haven't talked about this very much in my life stream I didn't even broach it with you. I grew up very much like they did.
Speaker 3: I was like these guys.
Speaker 15: I was like the dog behind these guys. They walked me everywhere in our conversations late at night after a game we'd played cards, and so.
Speaker 14: They were.
Speaker 15: They changed my life's perspective more than anyone will ever know. If I could write a book, I would like to write a book about five of those guys. And I had one player in particular.
Speaker 4: He was the NBA Rookie of the Year, the late Ray Felix. I was a rookie and my college coach.
Speaker 15: Was coaching the team, and I wasn't playing very much, and I didn't say I never said a word, never said a word. I was clearly better than these other two players. I think he was trying not to not to look like he was prejudiced toward me, And he came back and asked me one night, He said, you know you should play and I said, Ray, I said, you know, I don't really want to talk about that, but for some reason, he said, you're going to be one of the greatest players that I've ever been involved with will ever See for a long time, and for him to say that to me Elgin Baylor, who was an incredible player, I was like.
Speaker 3: He was a guy who drug me around like a dog.
Speaker 15: Those were the most important years of my life.
Speaker 3: I learned so much.
Speaker 15: You can throw your college degree out the window, but just learning that other people have similar circumstances to you. All of you were raised differently. If you're not love and a home, it's a house. If it's love and a home, it's a home. And I experienced that for these gentlemen and never said a word about it until I guess last six months, and it's been exceedingly I wish I had told him earlier.
Speaker 1: Gary Moore, Weston bureau chief, usually with us on Wednesdays, but he had last night off. He's actually on the West Coast in Los Angeles taking care of some business literally, and I thought I would reach out to Gary because in all the years he lived out there and covered sports, you are a West Coast bureau chief for several years covered the Lakers, and you know you also posted about Jerry West yesterday when he passed. He was an incredible figure in Los Angeles, wasn't he Well.
Speaker 16: Yeah, in many ways. I mean, obviously he's on the Lakers Mount Rushmore, if you want to call it that. I think he's the greatest Laker evera it ever will be more than likely he's tops in my book as far as the greatest Laker because of what he did as a player and as what he did as an executive. I think you'd be I think you'd be hard pressed to find a greater player turned NBA executive than Jerry West. I don't even know who had really come close to that, considering what he did as an All Star and then late how he constructed the showtime Lakers. In fact, that's when I first started to cover the Lakers was in eighty six. I've been out here for a few months.
Speaker 4: I moved from.
Speaker 16: Louisville in late eighty five and I got on a KFI radio and I said, Hey, is anybody going out to Lakers you know, the spring to you know, cover some of the playoffs and now we can't make it. Well, I'll go hello. I came out as I came out as a DJ, but I was I was helping our sports guy who was a department of one and Chris couldn't do it all. Chris Chris, Chris Roberts, who later became the UCLA play by play guy. So I was out there covering the Lakers that in eighty six, eighty seven, eighty eight, you know, the great showtime years, and got to talk to Jerry several times. I posted this on Facebook. Was the best time you could talk to Jerry. Were usually after the game, not daring a game. He really was was very, very nervous about watching the game. And I can understand, I think a lot of of athletes may be able to understand that after you've played and you're so close to the team, you're so close to the game, and as Jerry was maybe more of an extreme version of that. But there was a place, Dick. The media had our own lounge in the fabulous Forum. Of course, there was the Forum Club, which you know, all the high rollers, all the celebrities, where they're all the athletes would go to before and after the games. And on the hallway leading to that, like one of the upper levels, there was a little door off to the right. I'll never forget this, that's the media door. And you go in there and there was a small bar over the corner like you'd have in your basement and had a bartender, and that's where Jerry and the great Chick Hern play by play guy would meet afterwards and have a soft drink, have a beer, whatever, and just kind of talk about as the game. And I had many conversations with Jerry which are just absolutely golden. What a great, great man. Nothing at all did not remotely resemble that buffoonish cartoon portrayal that was on the A CEO special. We've talked about that when that was on, just ridiculous nothing only in name, but he was nothing like that character, because Jerry was the most level headed, sincere classy, respectful executive I think I've ever met in any sport Baseball, football, basketball. He was just that great of a guy. And boy, he did he know something about constructing basketball teams or what.
Speaker 1: He absolutely did. And it's legend now that week that he signed Kobe Bryant, or actually traded Vlade Divac's rights for Kobe's rights, and then he turned around and signed Shaquille O'Neil the same week. To your point about being an executive, best week ever in a history.
Speaker 5: For an executive.
Speaker 16: Yeah, he knew what he was doing. He didn't like coaching. He coached for a while and it was just it was he wasn't comfortable with it. He did I think he did it very well. I think they're probably that the stats will show that. But Jerry was not only just a great player and great executive. Look at the whole NBA. When Jerry was drafted, I believe it was in the spring of nineteen sixty. Later that year, they moved from Milwaukee to Los Angeles, the first team to come to the West. Because of Jerry and some guy named Elgin Baylor, who a lot of people who thought that people thought was the best player in all of basketball at that time, they had this immediate interest in pro basketball raised here in Los Angeles, Jerry had a lot to do not only with the popularity of basketball in LA, but in the West in general, because two years later you had the Philadelphia Warriors transferring from Philadelphia. They moved to San Francisco with Will Chamberlain, and they seem to have done fairly well since that move. So you look at Jerry as one of the pioneers who helped just not only helped the Lakers, but bring the NBA out west where our has flourished and it's never been any stronger than it's been in the past several years. But a huge loss, just a really great and by the way, I would wreck anybody. I would recommend to anybody to read his book that he wrote a few years.
Speaker 3: Ago that I have.
Speaker 16: It's on my kindle. I think it's My Tortured Life. I think was the name of it or something like that. You know, he had, as you know, because your dad went to West Virginia, you know about a lot of his history growing up, and he had a rather rough childhood and lost his brother in the war and some other things like that, and his dad was not the easiest guy to live with either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, as you said, and I talked about it earlier on the show, being a fan growing up, and I didn't realize until I started reading even more about him, just recently, really within the last twenty four hours. He didn't like the nickname Zeke from Cabin Creek because he was technically from Cabin Creek, and I know Elgin Baylor tease him about his accent and things like that, but yeah, I always grew up my dad called him that and all, but still I was really surprised Gary. And now it makes sense to find out from excerpts from his book and then interviews he's done about how tortured he was to this day until his dying day, literally about not being able to get past the Celtics.
Speaker 5: You know, when it came time to win a championship.
Speaker 1: I think they beat the Sixers when they won his only ring, but that series with the Celtics nearly destroyed him.
Speaker 16: He was the best competitor the Celtics ever faced, and yet and yet he couldn't get past. Well, it shows you the kind of a team that the Lakers had. They just didn't have enough around Jerry to you know, seal the deal until later on, when you know, they got Will and Gail Goodrich and some other guys in there. West By West, My Charm Tormented Life is the name of the autobiography that he wrote, and anybody who's any kind of a basketball fan should read that because in his own words, and you know, a lot of it's hard to because you're thinking, God, this guy is so talented. You know, he had the basketball, the sporting world in the palm of his hand, and yet he didn't think he did. He in terms of a shooting guard, uh, you know, and a playmaker and a point guard whatever you whatever position, he wanted him to play right there in the uh, in the back court he could he could do very well. And as somebody who grew up in basketball crazy Murray, Kentucky and practice every day outside with the basketball goal of my dad set up. He was one of the guys and I tried to like, you know, Jerry West and Pete Merrivitch, another guy who wore number forty four the Dog were two guys who I just completely looked up to and throwing there too, exactly exactly I mean that it was. It was really uh. He was really somebody that that I think epitomized having the logo. And I don't think he was completely comfortable with being the logo either. By the way, I think that he said before, like, yeah, Michael Jordan should be it now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Steven Smith floated that and immediately assumed wrongly that Jerry West would be opposed to it, and Wes said, no, that's a great idea. I said earlier Gary that I'd be okay with Michael, but you know, if they could somehow design a logo if they are going to retire the Jerry West logo that somehow encapsulates Magic and Larry Bird together because they saved the NBAS and I bet Jerry West would have been good with that as well. But I know we lose him within a week or a few days of losing Bill Walton. You know, we keep losing these giant figures.
Speaker 3: And you met both of them, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 16: I liked both of them a lot, and obviously we're a big fan of both of their games. I didn't know this until a few years ago, that Jerry West and Elgin Baylor and those Lakers came to Murray really in nineteen sixty four to play a guy by the name of Cliff and the Hawks of Saint Louis. It was part of a benefit thing, and they did this for several years, Dick were They would come down and play them in the field house there at Murray State's campus, and Cliff would do these and I think they went over to Western. They may have played in owens Borough and in Cliff's hometown as well, but they would do these barnstorming exhibition games to raise money. I know they raised money for the third Red Fund at Murray State. But Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, and a young player from Kentucky you may remember by the name of Cotton Nash, who was a rookie for the Lakers, all came to Murray State in like September, late September nineteen sixty four. Will Chamberlain came on one of those junkets when he was with the Philadelphia with the Philadelphia Warriors, and Oscar Robertson came there too. All these great things that you don't really see anymore, I mean, how great. And of course we know about when the Celtics came to Lexington in an exhibition game that didn't quite happen. We know about that story. But how great would it be to see some of these games like that, to see you know, Steph Curry, or to see Donchish or some of these guys come to upp Arena and play exhibition games against say a d and the Lakers, you know, for some funds. I would I would love to see that kind of barn starring happen again.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 16: Absolutely always a pleasure to talk about the logo, and I'll do it for now.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us for this special edition, the best of the Big Blue Insider.
Speaker 5: That's it. Good night from the garage in Lexington, Deezer