Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue Insider. Dick Gabriel with you on a Tuesday edition of our program. We're going to be basketball heavy tonight, and for you football fans, we have not forgotten about football, of course, but there's a lot out there right now TBT, the Basketball Tournament. We got a chance to chat with the Sean Woods, who is the head coach of tbt's entry this year, and Twany Beckham, the general manager. Of course, Shawn will join us tomorrow and we talked last week at a little bit about TBT. But they had a news conference today to unveil the tournament brackets, which probably don't mean much to you right now. To whim, we know more about the other teams in the tournament, but of course the Kentucky team La Familla is almost entirely former UK players. They talked a little bit about the roster today. They're going to add two or three more players. There was also a player they're talking to who apparently has some kind of connection to Sean but is not a UK guy, but they didn't announce who that was yet, so that's a little bit intriguing. So we'll hear about that coming up in the days to come, but anyway, we'll hear from Sean and twenty coming up here in just a minute. But we also got a chance to chat with Kenny Brooks and two of his players. They made two of the women available to us today, just as they made two of the men available yesterday. They will again next week. And we'll hear from the guys coming up in our second hour, but we'll hear from the women coming up in just a minute. But I wanted to start off with Sean and twenty talking about TBT. It's the million dollar winner take All tournament and it was such a success in lexingon last year. It's kind of grown a bit that last year was not the first year. But last year they put together a team led by twenty, the general manager, that really had a shot at winning, and Nate Cestina was a focal point, was the centerpiece, was a great addition to that team and he was literally the biggest reason they had a chance to win it all. But and they knew this going in, he had a contract with a team overseas and he had to leave before the tournament was over, which meant, yeah, they got to the final four, but when they were playing in Philly against the Ohio State based team. They didn't have their biggest, most effective guy and it really it really caught me have cost him the game, and I and laying all this on Sistina, but both Sean and twenty talked about the fact that it really hurt Kentucky's effort last year, and Beckham said, as he put this roster together, he made sure or at least sought to make sure that it wouldn't happen again.
Speaker 2: Of course, like you just mentioned, we had a guy that couldn't make it due to some stuff he had going on in his personal life, and I think it was a huge letdown to the guys. I mean, but we still went. I think we fought. You know, he was the guy that you know, the couldn't make it the Philadelphia last year was like our Google guy. He was our engine, he was our light, he was our spirit, he was our energy. I mean, he was everything to our team. So it was a huge leadown for us. But you know, when me and Coach Woods just talked about the roster construction this year, we wanted to make sure that we put together nine to ten guys that all had that spirit that so if something was to happen this year, which we don't foresee or plan on, because we let they be known early that you cannot, for whatever reason, if you commit to us, you cannot back out. And we put that in our contract with the guys as well, and.
Speaker 1: We talked to Sistina about it before he left, of course, and you know, he was not happy about the back that he had to lead, but that's just the way the situation was. And Sean talked about Beckham in the most glowing terms about the work that Beckham has done putting this team together. He said he's missed his calling and he needs to be an nbagm but putting the team together, crafting this team, finding the players, working through their schedules because a lot of them are still playing pro overseas, and making sure they understand, as they did last year, that this isn't just a fun thing to get together, break a sweat, play some ball. No, they want to get together and they want to win. But Sean also talked at length about the fact that the players so enjoyed last year and they talked about it with us both during and after the fact that they got to wear the jersey again. They got to feel the love of the BBN again, which maybe they didn't fully appreciate when they were kids, back when they were playing for the Wildcats for you know, one and done or maybe even longer than that. I'll love the Harrison Twins and Willie Cauley Stein, but they got a chance at an older age with perspective to experience that love again.
Speaker 3: The guys that we got are so looking forward to it because they saw it last year. But not only that, man, they get the be a Kentucky basketball player again, you know, And that's bigger than anything is. You get to be a Kentucky basketball player again. The only bad sad part about is they don't get to play a REP anymore, but they get to play where it all started in Memoria Colisseum and we all have blood, sweat and tears on that court in that building. So that's going to bring a little more camaraderie to the situation too.
Speaker 1: I just love that comment, And there was that pregnant pause from Sean. They get to be a Kentucky basketball player again as he was choosing his words. It was just very cool when he said that. Sean brought this up on My show last week. And he said it again today that he kind of had to have a come to Jesus meeting with some of the guys with the team last year as they were working, just to make sure they understood that this was about wearing that jersey again and about Kentucky pride, not just going for the million dollars. And he said it kind of came together over in Louisville. They beat Louisville, and you know, there was a little bit of back and forth after the game, and he said that kind of pulled the team together.
Speaker 3: It's bigger than money. This was the pride of Kentucky got involved and that Louisville situation. I'm telling you right now, I hadn't played a college basketball game was nineteen ninety two, and I hadn't I've been a coach in college for twenty five years. Besides went in a conference championship getting the opportunity to go to NCAA tournament. There was no rush that I had I have had since I've been a UK player than that UK U of L TBT game at Freedom Hall. I mean, it was unlike anything that I've gone through. And I think that's when it clicked that we had something from a pride standpoint, because it was nothing but pride from them and us. And as you see how it ended very very chippy, But that was just a competitive U of l UK situation and it was nothing like, nothing like it in all my years in twenty five thirty years since I've been gone.
Speaker 1: And no, they will not play in RUPP They'll play in the coliseum. But with the improved Memorial Coliseum, it's gonna be even more intimate, right and as Sean said, especially his teams under Patino. You know, the Calipari teams got to work in the Craft Center, but they did a little bit of work in the coliseum. It's going to be great to see a game there as well. Of course, the coliseum is home for the UK women. As I mentioned earlier. We had a chance to talk to a couple of players earlier today and Clara Strack one of them. She had a big year transferring in from Virginia Tech, second team All Conference Defensive Player of the Year, led the SEC in block shots, was eleventh in the country in block shots and thirteenth in blocks per game, a two and a half per contest, and I asked her about the fact that she had such a big year and now she's going to be front and center on everybody's scouting report and she can expect with the upcoming season how she's going to attack that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think I'm just excited, Like like coachbrook said, this year is really exciting for us. We have our experience already, Like I think last year coming in like not only did I not have a ton of experience in general in like college basketball, but now I have a whole other year in the SEC. So I think I'm excited and I'm ready for like those challenges like that. But obviously I have an amazing team around me, so I think that that will help a lot with all that.
Speaker 1: As Clara Strack, who of course was such a big part of the team, as was Georgia Amore and Kenny Brooks talked about it, as she did on my show the other night, the fact that Amore's gone but of course not forgotten been a part of the culture that's in place now at Kentucky. But I've always felt like last year's team, Amore could be big, Strack could be big, but minus Tony Key, they weren't really gonna have a big shot at winning a tough game. I thought I kind of in my mind had her like you know, Magic Johnson, Kareem abdul Jabbar and more and stract. But James Worthy, I thought was the glued to those great Laker teams, and I thought Tianni Key was the glue here. I didn't bring that up to her. I don't know if she make the connection with those older Laker greats and James Worthy, but I talked to her about being a player not afraid of doing the dirty work and doing again this coming season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, honestly a big focus throughout the season, through the postseason, and even now. It just was just doing the little things, focusing on the little things, like coach work says a lot, it's not it's not how fast you do it, it's how you do it. So like just focusing on those little things and doing them well and just getting stronger, being like you said, doing the dirty work, doing whatever the team needs. Honestly, just being helpful and anyways what I strive to do. So I think, you know, each team in the SEC brings something a little bit different. It's very similar though, but just reading the game, honestly, just figuring out what we need and how I can help. I think that's always always my focus.
Speaker 1: Up next, the true legend, the legend of thoroughbred racing is stepping away. It looks like for good. D Wayne Lucas. Also at the bottom of the ara, Maggie Davis of BBN Tonight nearly x eighteen. She was there listening and talking basketball with all these same folks. We'll talk to her a little bit later on Chris Fisher of two four to seven Sports. You see his work on the pages of The Cat's Paws. That's next on The Big Bloom Sider six thirty WLAP. Welcome back to the Big Blue and Sider. Coming up at the bottom of the hour, Maggie Davis from BBN Tonight. We'll talk Kentucky basketball. She was there earlier today when the Lefamia ballplayers and general manager spoke with us, as well as some of the UK women. And we'll also hear more from the men coming up in hour number two, as we had a chance to chat with two of the brand new Wildcats as we mentioned earlier yesterday. So I did want to take time though to talk about d Wayne Lucas and even if you're not a horse racing officionado, you know he is. And if you're from the state of Kentucky especially, you likely are a racing fan for one weekend out of the year. And if you've been following for a little while, you know about d Wayne Lucas. Yeah, Bob Bafford's won more Kentucky derbyes. He's won more Triple Crown races by a couple but actually by three now. But d Wayne Lucas was really the first trainer to think of himself and think of racing and think of the horses as well when he came to sports marketing. And I say that because he's so personable and outgoing and was one of the first trainers to realize the value of speaking to you and me the fans through the media. Yeah, self serving, Sure, I love talking to him. We all did you know? And now, of course he is retiring because of serious illness, and I doubt that we see him again. He has admitted he is stepping away for good. But what he did for the sport was phenomenal, not just as a successful trainer, but as a guy who speaks to America and has spoken to America for some time. And this goes back to the early eighties. There was a horse named Genuine Risk of Philly. She won the Derby in nineteen eighty not a big horse, but a good horse, and pulled a huge upset in the Kentucky Derby, but did not win the Preakness because a horse named Codex won the race. Angel Cordero as they turned for home was a board Codex and kind of carried Genuine with Risk wide a little bit, and later he was accused of bullying the Philly that kind of thing. Well. Codex was trained by de Wayne Lucas. That was his first triple Crown win and he had another one in the Preakness in nineteen eighty five with Tanks Prospect. One is first Kentucky Derby in nineteen eighty eight, coincidentally enough, with the Philly winning colors. A huge gray horse. She was seventeen hands high. And I'll never forget that was a stretch where I picked a Derby winner four out of five years running and I did not pick winning colors. And the reason is when I first saw her, she was the first Derby horse I saw that week at church. I spent the used to spend the entire week on the backside of Churchill Downs in the early mornings. And I'd heard about the phillyat thought okay, and I'd seen her win in the Santa I Needa Derby, but that was TV. I'm walking past Lucas's barn and here comes winning colors out from under the shedrow the derby. Head of the derby. The jockey had to hug her neck, her withers to make sure he didn't hit his head on the beam head because the horse was so tall. And I said to myself on Monday morning handicapping, note she's not a girl, meaning most Phillies at that age are smaller than the boys, and even smaller colts are't as strong and probably aren't as likely to win. I mean, there have been many horses that have proved that wrong. But you know, the bigger the horse is stronger the horse, the faster potentially the horse. So by the time Saturday came around and I'm placed in my bets, I ruled out winning colors like a dope. And Lucas, who was an aggressive trainer when it came to entering horses and riding, you know, or racing, sent his rider to the front and she stole the race, So winning Colors was his first Derby winner. He won four thunder Gulch. I was not on in ninety five. Grindstone in ninety six won by a nose that beat Bob Baffert's first Kentucky Derby horse, Cavanier. I loved Cavanier. I was all over. Cavanier had a big ticket on. Cavanier thought I had won it. I was standing near the finish line, thought I had won it. A Grindstone nipped Cavanier and the good news there was he made a winner as an owner of WT Young, Bill Young and Wayne. Lucas after the race said his biggest joy was leading Bill Young to the winner circle. And I got to know mister Young. Later on he owned Stormcat. I went out to the farm. He granted me an interview, which was rare, and I really got to like him. But that was ninety six. Three years later, Lucas enters a fairly long shot in Charismatic. Charismatic had won the election in stakes, and it was not that unusual back in the day for Derby horses to run a week or so out like the Derby Trial. For a while, there was a week out, was four days away from the Derby and they still run into Kentucky Derby with success ran an election in stakes I think two weeks prior, so everybody thought, I horse can't win the Derby. After racing two weeks ago and with Chris Antley, Aboard won the Kentucky Derby and of course most recently, Lucas won the Preakness Stakes two years ago, was seized the Gray. During the broadcast of that coverage, NBC aired a piece with Steve Karnaki. You've seen him on election coverage. He's the guy with the white shirt, sleeves rolled up, going over the numbers, crushing the numbers. Well, they've added him to the sports coverage and he's good at it. But he was a big racing fan. He was a big Wayne Lucas fan. So he did a piece on Wayne Lucas where he stood on the track one morning nbcquy, So he got to stand on the track and he was Mike and Lucas was sitting on his horse with his stetson, the cowboy hat with his shades first thing in the morning, talking to Steve Karnaki of NBC's It was really well done. Here's part of it.
Speaker 6: At your age, to keep doing this at this level, what drives.
Speaker 7: You to do this?
Speaker 8: It's a good question. The uh, I don't need to, but I love the competition. I good friends with almost all of these trainers. Yeah, and yet I love taking them out.
Speaker 2: I mean, in just the last couple of years, you win the Kentucky Oaks, you want the Freakness.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a renaissance.
Speaker 8: It seems well. I think it validates that you're doing things right. Yet, even though you have that age, I don't think I'll retire as long as I can beat these guys as.
Speaker 1: They come to the top of the stretch, seize the grave, turning for home in front safe the gray. Let's stop break that the aldest trainer to ever win a Triple Crown race.
Speaker 9: That the Preakness win.
Speaker 6: Last year you got fifteen triple Crown race wins. Now Baffort's sitting there at seventeen.
Speaker 3: Do you think you could pass them get that record back?
Speaker 8: The answer to that is not important to me. When you're younger, all of those things are real important, you know. But I'll be ninety comfortable up here. As you can see, I got a slow horsh and.
Speaker 1: I find that it's.
Speaker 8: Probably better now than it's everything.
Speaker 1: Now that was last year prior to the Preakness. You heard that coverage of the Preakness in there. But sadly Lucas his health has taken a bad turn, so he has stepped away from racing, but remarks that Mark Cassi the Great Trainer made to Steve Kornaki, I think resonates.
Speaker 10: Yes, he'sa you know, icon, probably the greatest of all time. This is a tough game. We want to beat each other. When Wayne wins, we all enjoy it. That's called respect and he has all our respect. I mean he has one tough son of a gun too. I think we all want to be Wayne Lucas.
Speaker 1: You know, is Mark Cassie talking to Steve Kornaki And then again those are remarks courtesy of NBC Sports. Maggie Davis of BBN Tonight is next year on six thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Blu Insider joining us now someone I bumped into earlier today. Well, we planned to talk on tonight's show, but Maggie Davis covered the TBT presentation as well as the presentation by the UK women's basketball team earlier today. But we always talk about summertime being slow. But that's good stuff for BBN tonight, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Oh? You know it?
Speaker 7: I mean, you know as well as anybody who goes into filling some of these summer shows. And for us thirty minutes tonight only about UK five nights a week, twelve months out of the year, Like it doesn't matter what's going on. We are talking about the Kentucky Wildcats, which is a blessing. Like the fact that we get to do that is amazing and it's incredible. It's a testament to the fan base and the interest in all of these programs. But then it does require a little bit of legwork normally this time of the year to give them something to sink their teeth into, right, Like this is a fan base that's always hungry for the latest, what's coming up? What should we know? What are you excited about? And sometimes this time of the year there's not a lot to stay in regard to any of those things. But today you mentioned it, we get to talk about the basketball tournament lost and the other coming back for TVT again this year Bracket reveals got to hear from the head coach, Sean Woods, which is very cool, I think, and then obviously the women's basketball team to hear from Kenny Brooks really for the first time in any sort of like extended period of a full press conference since the end of last season, so it kind of closed the book on Chapter one starts the preview year two of the Brooks era, and then to hear from Sianna Key and Clara Strack and get excited about those two back in the blue and white this year. I think bobn is going to love this new women's basketball team, So it's exciting to start to get to talk about them and their season and what can be coming up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no Georgia, aymore, but a new identity and we'll talk about that. Let's let's go chronologically because there's there's a lot to unpack, as you kids like to say, uh, from earlier today. And of course, Sean Woods is a weekly guest on my show. I'm sure you know that because you you listen religiously and take notes.
Speaker 7: Yes, but but I listened twice live and on podcasts.
Speaker 1: Had a girl, and so does your grandma. I know that when you're on. But I've talked to Sean about coaching this team. Tell me, I'll tell you after you tell me. What was your biggest takeaway from today's conversation, not just with Sean, but with Twny Beckham the GM.
Speaker 7: Honest, Yes, these guys are mad at Nina. Yeah, there was a lot of talk about last year's team, and obviously Nansino was a huge part of that team. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I would assume he was the leading scorer. Correct me if I'm wrong or right there. And obviously they talked today about the energy he brought, the leadership he brought, and every single facet of that team was really run in some way by Nate Pasina last year. And then he had a conflict that he had known about is the entire time he'd been committed, and unfortunately had to miss that last game, which was the game that knocked him out of the tournament. So I think there maybe are some hard feelings there based on just some of the comments we got today about the guy who left last year. I mean, I feel like we all know who they're talking about. There was only one player missing from that last game, and so that was kind of like the one off takeaway for me was like, man, that I was a little staltier than I was expecting from like two of the nicest guys around in Sean Woods and twenty Beckham. But the other big thing, I think it's just how seriously they take this tournament. And I think, just in conversations I've had with Swanny over the last couple of years, this is something he'd always taken that seriously. But a big hurdle with anything along these lines, this sort of weird if I hate to even call it that, but it's such an unusual tournament, right. You have guys from all ages, all backgrounds, all over the country playing for a million dollar prize. They have these funny team names. They're playing in sometimes random places at weird times, on funny TV networks. Like it's not what you think of as a typical high level basketball game, and yet if you give it a chance and you watch it so often, that is what it is. It's not the Harlem Globetrotters. It's guys who are playing professional basketball, many of them overseas, but a lot of them have some NBA experience, obviously very high level collegiate experience, as well, and so I think they really had to get over that hurdle last year of showing the outsiders even within BBN, who know basketball and understand basketball, but to understand basketball in this way was a little bit of a hurdle, like this will be an entertaining athletic event, this is a sport. Come watch it and you'll see. So I think now that they're past that, you see that competitiveness and that seriousness come out in other ways, Like I love hearing Sean What's Today talking about how seriously they took the scouting reports and how they really broke down tape. They went in with a plan, and he said it perfectly when he was like, nobody wants to look bad. We have a team of pro athletes. Nobody wants to go out there and get embarrassed or look unprepared. So we take practice very seriously, we take scouting reports very seriously because we want to take the games very seriously. And so for me to hear that mentality coming into another year of this tournament, which I think more people are understanding, at least here in Kentucky, it's going to be very interesting to see the fruits of all that labor in the groundwork they've been laying now for two plus years of this is a big deal and we are going to take it seriously.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely. And as far as Sistina goes, you know, they knew going in that he had to leave at a certain date. But I think that to your point, yeah, I don't know, Salty, Yes, disappointed definitely because they got to be so good. They were so close to that brass ring. And I think that the more they won and the deeper they went in the tournament, you know, their feelings became even more and more intense. It intensified their disappointment when he had to leave, and they still came close to winnings. So yeah, you're right. And twenty Beckham last year talked about the fact that he had told these guys coming in, look, this isn't just a way to break a sweat have some fun. We are taking this really really seriously. And I thought when when Shawn and of course I talked to Sean about this on my show last week, it's more than the money, he said, you know, he kind of had to come to Jesus meeting with these guys, like, look, we're Kentucky it's more, it's about more than just the money. We're taking this incredibly seriously and now they're going to feed off that this coming tournament, aren't they. Yeah, I think so too, And I'm.
Speaker 7: Glad you brought up to come to Jesus meeting. That stood out to me as well along those saved lines. And another thing that a specific line that stuck out to me from Sean Woods was like, these guys get to come back here and be Kentucky basketball players again. And it's such a tight fraternity. Even used that word, and I think from an outside perspective, you imagine that's the case. But I think when you really look at the rosters, like you have a Patino guy leaving the team, you have cal players on the team, Anthony Almanor becomes the first Pope player ever joined Law Familia. So you have all these different generations of Wildcats all coming together for this one cause, and really there is just the one thing that unites them all, and that is being Kentucky basketball players. And that is such a unique set of circumstances that leads you to that. I think they even said, like, to play at Kentucky, you have to be somebody and so we get all these somebodies together, and there's a deep appreciation for what was for most of these guys, especially in the Calipieri era, maybe just an eight or nine months period of their life. And you know, we think about these teams in seasons, right, you have the twenty fourteen season, the twenty fifteen season, you know, whatever the case may be. For them, that was such a pivotal era of their life, and yet it was only maybe eight or nine months and minutes off to the next thing. So for them to get the chance to come back and relive some of that Kentucky magic, reconnect with its fan base, I think is really impactful. And I think that was part of the reason why twenty's been able to get not only some of those guys back, Willy cally Stein and the Twins, but also bring in some new guys who maybe weren't part of the team last year for whatever reason. Saw how well it went, saw how much fun they had, saw the connection with Big Blue Nation was still there even though they only spent so much time in Lexington, and that could help convince some new guys to sign on this year. So I'm excited to see a new roster come together in that way too.
Speaker 1: So many great sound bites today on Maggie and I and everybody there deal with quotes and sound bites, and I felt like that that line for Sean, I thought was the best. I used it earlier in the show about being a Kentucky basketball player again and I flashed on last year, and you talked to the player last year, who seemed even the guys like Willie and the twins who have been here more than eight months, a little surprised at the love they experienced from the fans when they came back, and they admitted they may have taken it for granted the first time they were here. I thought that kould have encapsulated everything perfectly.
Speaker 7: I think so too, And I think it's I don't want it to come across his life. Wow, they didn't appreciate it because I think they're back in hindsight, they were exactly. They came here at eighteen years old, and it was probably so fun and they got to be famous in town and walk around say it mall and people would take their picture, but like and of the day, like they were an eighteen year old at them all, Like how much were they really thinking, like, man, it's cool. All these people know who I am, they care about me and whatever else. And so I think with time obviously comes that perspective, and a lot of these guys earned that naturally organically over the past decade or so, hover longer since since they've been gone. But then to really see it back in action, the fact that you can be gone for ten years, come back play in this tournament with such a unique style, unique set of circumstances and still feel that same connection in a big donation, I think.
Speaker 6: Is really cool.
Speaker 7: And then I even think about a guy like Kareem Canter was on the team last year. He didn't even play here. His brother didn't even get the chance to play here, So obviously there's just a little bit of a different set of circumstances. They teased us a little bit today. Then there's one more guy they have committed, they haven't announced yet. He didn't play at UK, but he has connections to Sean Woods. And you know, like, I love that the core of the team is straight up dudes who played at Kentucky and the fans remember and we'll get to root for again. But I think bringing in some guys who have the ties even though they didn't necessarily get to play here at this program. It's really interesting too. It's kind of cool to see last year evolved and then hear Kareem's experience from his perspective, which was so different than the one the Twins or Willie or any of those other guys got. Having been an actual player here and having at least a certain set of expectations about Big Blue Nations. These guys who didn't actually experience it, even for that short period of time don't even know what they're in for. And the next thing you know, you're playing for thirteen thousand fans in Freedom Hall, and guys are like sitting at you and throwing ls in your face and like it is a serious situation. And for more people to experience the joy and the drama of the Kentucky Lobil rivalry, I think it's always a good thing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and I'm curious to hear from Khalil Whitney. It was here for like twenty minutes and when he left, he wasn't exactly happy, but he's happy to be back. We're talking with Maggie Davis BB and tonight LX eighteen, Will talk more basketball with Miss Maggie on the other side of the break here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back, We're talking with Maggie Davis of bb and Tonight LX eighteen. You sere with Keith Barmer and a host of others on the show Monday through Friday throughout this year, which is why she was so happy to be there earlier today, as was I to hear from Shawn Woods, twenty Beckham and Kenny Brooks, who was just on the show the other night. I had a great time talking to him. But we had a chance to hear from Tianni Key and Clara Strack as well, And it's going to be, I know, super weird for Kenny to put a team on the floor without a Georgia Amore. But man, with the two players coming back who were injured last year, and I kept tearing about them, from Jeffe Coral and Christy Thomas, the two SEC plus broadcasters and Darren Hedrick, how different last year's team would have been. And now with these kids, plus the recruits and the transfers, I think we may be looking at a lot of fun this year, don't you.
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, I loved it. Was right there at the end, but he realized and he kind of said it out loud, like we lost someone who was six foot seven, and we are bigger this year. And I think everybody like processed that, like took a second to be like you were you had a huge team last year, Like last year's team had so much height, but not necessarily in the back court of me. Georgia Aymore was undersized, Daja Lawrence was underside, Sanaya Tyler Cassi Row were undersized. So I think with all those pieces gone and to bring in six one six foot two guards, especially the two you mentioned, the two players who were injured preseason last year, I thought Coach Brooks made an excellent point of like they are not getting talked about and it makes sense why they didn't get to play all last year. And then they're also so they're not really involved in all like the returners conversation, they're not as easily identifiable as like, oh you get a Milia half at back and Clara Strack and Johnny these players we got to know, we saw their game. You can be excited to see them running back for another year, but they're also not a part of this transfer portal class. And they're also not the five star freshmen he has committed, so they're kind of in their own little bucket. And that little bucket of like technically returners but no one has seen them play is a really interesting spot to be in. And I think last year, Coach Brooks and this whole team, they were able to kind of sneak up on the SEC a little bit, like they weren't really expected to be as good as they ended up being, even that he brought so much with them from Virginia Tech. Even though everyone knew Georgia Aymore would be sensational, you didn't know how all the other pieces were going to look. And so to see him kind of rise above and exceed expectations last year, I think that's exponentially harder to do in your kid. However, I think this other little buckets of Perova and Obi, I think that really helps you still add a little bit of a sneaky attack system here because those are two really unknown pieces that are going to be major contributors on this team.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know, and then we jumped up at eleven and five in the league. Nobody expected that. Talking to Maggie Davis, from BBN tonight LAX eighteen. She was there earlier today when the UK women's basketball well represented by Kenny Brooks, Clara Strack, the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, Antoni Key, and I asked TIONI about doing dirty work, and you know what, I started to preface my remarks, and then I caught myself because I don't think she could relate. I'm sure she knows who Magic Johnson is and Kareem abdul Jamar, but I always felt like those Laker teams And I talked to Sam Boo, you played on some of those teams about this, and I said, you know, Magic could have a great game, Kareem could have a great game. But those best Laker teams with those guys, I felt like weren't as successful unless James Worthy had a great game. And to me watching that UK team last year, Tunic Key was James Worthy, you know, maybe different offensively, but doing the little things, doing the dirty work, sticking her nose and when they needed a rebound, inevitably it was it was Key who got the ball, you know what I mean? And now she's a and for someone, as Kenny pointed out, and he mentioned this on my show. She she didn't get to do much of anything at North Carolina and was a bona fide SEC player last year. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she can do this year.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we had a lot of conversations about Key on our show toward the back half of the season because I didn't feel like she was getting a lot of that attention because of exactly what you said, Like she had to have a good game in order for that team to be performing at its best, and yet a lot of times her best game was, like you said, being physical down low, grabbing the rebounds when they were needed, making your throws down the stretch. She struggled with being in foul trouble a little too much, especially in SEC player. I think she kind of laughed about that even today, of like, I learned a lot about myself with how physical the league was, and I needed to get stropper this year, and so I'm helpful that helps her not only just compete from a competitive standpoint, but also stay out of foul trouble, will learn her body a little bit better in terms of where can I push these limits? Where do I need to hold back? How are these call how are they calling these games in the SEC, I think managing her fouls and her minutes will be an interesting difference maybe this year compared to Las. But when you brought up North Carolina, I think this is such a testament not only to Tiani Key, but to this entire staff. Really, to look at a player who had spent two years at North Carolina averaged between nine and ten minutes a game, averaged two rebounds a night yep and shot like you know, maybe a point, maybe maybe a feel field goal per game. Like she was not a high volume player. She was not a high at this player. She wasn't blocking the shot too is blocking. And to compare her numbers year over year from year two at North Carolin, I know where in theory she's much more comfortable in the system. She understands what they're running. She's been there two full years, and yet like she still has such a limited role in such limited production. If you just look at it on paper, compared to what she was able to do in a brand new environment, in a brand new system, with a whole new team around her in year one at Kentucky, the jump is astronomical. And so to think about what she was able to do with so much change. I'm excited to see what she can do with some consistency this year.
Speaker 1: I've only got a couple of minutes left. But I also thought a great comment, and he's made this before, was when Brookes said this was this past season his favorite year. There's a great movie called My Favorite Year, but anyway, this was his favorite season, even better than the final four year that he was able to fashion at Virginia Tech, just because of the makeup the chemistry of this team. And of course you can't manufacture that, but he's very optimistic about this team. But I really thought that was fascinating as well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, me too. I love when he says that because it makes you feel good like you got to cover his favorite team, right, Like that's fine, and Big Blue Nation has to be like, yes, we were a part of that, because I think this fan base definitely played a role in that. Like he played for great crowds, he saw this fan base really like kind of slowly at the beginning of the year, and then I think that Lobill game really changed things for the program last year. To win in overtime at home, that was a huge moment, and I think we'll look back at that as the first like really truly big game of the Kenny Brooks era, and how that not only set the tonguel, that just got people engaged. And I remember talking to Kenny preseason last year in an interview for BBN Tonight, and he said, you know, like, I don't expect to sell out game one. I don't expect people to be like so pubbed up Game one, but I want them to watch one minute, and I want them to see me put the ball in the hands of our six foot five center and have her bring the ball up the court, and then I think they're going to be hooked, and I expect them to be at the next one. I love that because it's interesting to me. He's like, I do not expect you to tune in just because I tell you to, but I think if you give it a chance, you see how we play. We are so pleasing to watch. We're easy to root for. And I think that you know, who knows what your two will look like. It's just of what he changes from an offensive defensive perspective. But I do think that there will be a lot of similarity in just his approach to growing the game. That's something he's so passionate about, and a big part of that is that he plays such a fun style. It's very easy for fans to get into. And I think we'll see that again this year.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely. And that wasn't just hyperbole. The six or five player bringing the ball up the floor. Now, now, that actually happened with Claire Strack. Maggie Davis is a co anchor, producer, chief cook and bottle washer for BBN Tonight at LAX eighteen. Follow her on ex or Twitter at Maggie Davis TV and tune in each night at seven thirty. Thank you, ma'am. We'll see you down the road.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Have a great one coming up in our number two. Chris Fisher of two four to seven in the Cat's Pause, and we'll hear more from the Basketball Cats on the Big New Insider Here on six thirty Warlap.
Speaker 11: In any type set station doing anything to.
Speaker 1: All right, here's Chris in three two one, Welcome back to the Big Bluin Sider. Joining us now is a longtime friend of the show, mister Chris Fisher from two four seven Sports. You see his work in the catch pause and at the two four seven sports dot Com website. I guess, Chris the latest news about the basketball Wow casts, and you've posted about this. We'll get the recruiting in a minute. But Jasper Johnson making the USA under nineteen team, that's a pretty good hit, isn't it. I mean, that's going to be something that can kind of expedite his progress, I would think, Am I right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think so.
Speaker 6: I think it's just invaluable experience. He'll go with the the under nineteen USA team to Switzerland to play in the World Cup. He already has one gold medal with Team USA. He'll go for two this summer. And if I recall correctly, he played pretty well with Team USA his first time around. I think that was last summer with the under eighteen team. But yeah, I think, you know, he's the guy that I think might be getting slept on more than any they're really Kentucky player this summer. As far as what he's going to contribute to next year's team, he might be the best perimeter shooter on the squad next season. I know, you know, through the portal, Kentucky was kind of looking for one of those knockdown shooters to fill Kobe Brea's spot, and you know, missed on Lamar Wilkerson. He went to Indiana and missed on some other guys, ended up with Denzel Aberdeen, who's not a poor shooter by any stretch. But I definitely think Jasper Johnson is the type of kid that he's just wired to score. He knows how to put the ball in the basket. He can do it driving to the rim. He's got the float game, he's got the mid range, and then from the perimeter. I think he might be he might end the season being Kentucky's best and most consistent three point shooter. I would be surprised if he's not a double digit scorer for Kentucky next season. Think he's that explosive, he's that crafty with the ball. You know, you look at the transfer portal guys that Kentucky has brought in and it's it's it's it gets easier to overlook a freshman. But I think he has that type of ability and I think he'll show that at Kentucky.
Speaker 1: What is his true size, do you know?
Speaker 6: I think I would put him in the six four range. He's long, he's lanky. I think he's probably a little bit more athletic than he gets credit for. Everybody kind of focuses on his scoring ability, but I think, you know, I think he can make plays in transition. I think he can finish above the rim, very crafty with the ball. I think in finishing when he gets close to the rim, And I just think he's gonna have a much bigger impact than a lot of people are projecting for him.
Speaker 1: That's interesting to hear you say that because I was talking to a guy I wondered, is he a YouTube all star? Meaning anybody can put together clips for YouTube? But you've seen him well beyond that, haven't you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think he's a guy that, as we saw with the injuries last season, those secondary ball handlers that you have on your squad that can come in and you know there may be you know, not playing the primary point guard, but can come off the bench and give you some playmaking with the ball in their hands. And I think he showed a lot of that at over timmy lead. And I think those over timing lead guys tend to get overlooked kind of as a whole. I think, you know, they they go down to Atlanta and I feel like, you know, sometimes analysts kind of tend to forget about those guys. But I like his ability as a as a secondary ball handler and a playmaker, you know, operating out of pick and rolls. And you know, if you've you've heard Mark Pope talk about him this summer, he's been effusive in his praise. I think he's really high on Jasper Johnson and what he can do and come in and do from day one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, it's a interesting I talked with his former middle school coach last week, Dj Uberly, who was the girls coach at Frederick Douglas led them to the Final four this past year. But in just chatting with him, he said, yeah, you know I was I was Jasper's middle school coach. And even back then in sixth grade, Chris, he said he went to Dennis Johnson and said, that's a future pro. And of course Dennis at the time wanted Jasper to keep playing quarterback, but we know that's not that's not worked out. But for a middle school coach, and you know what he did, he just described Jasper's game almost word for word the way you just did. So he's developed, you know, now into a college player doing the same sort of thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and if you go you go back to his recruitment, you know, everybody there for a long time, everybody thought it was going to be a slam dunk for Kentucky because of his dad is right, because of his grandfather, is where he's from, all those ties that he had to the Kentucky program. But he was pretty much set on going to Alabama until Kentucky really ramped things up laid in the process. And he is the type of kid. You know, we've seen Alabama under Natoates the last four or five years and what they've produced. He would have fit in perfectly at Alabama if you're if you're looking for you know, I guess a comparison or the type of player that he is. But yeah, a kid that can get up and down the floor and excels and transition Mark Pope loves to shoot those transition frees to kind of open the game up and uh space the floor. And he's the perfect type of kid to do that. You know, NATO's at Alabama, they shoot layups and they shoot three and uh they're going to get up and down the floor and shoot a ton of both of those. And so I thought he would have been a really good fit there. But with what we saw out of Mark Pope and how he plays in his first season at Kentucky, he's going to be a tremendous fit at Kentucky.
Speaker 1: That answered that answered my next question. He'll be He'll be a here, especially if he can hit his threes. We're talking to Chris Fisher a two four seven Sports. You see his work with a cat's pause, and before we look at the incoming guys, let's look at a guy you covered some years ago. We all did Shay Gilges Alexander and you posted again about him winning the finals MVP as the Thunder win the NBA title. What did you see in him and his one year at Kentucky that lets you know that he was going to be I don't know that any of us saw this kind of potential in him as an NBA player, But I just remember him taking over the starting job, getting to the rim and finishing almost at will and making it look easy. Is that the way you remember it?
Speaker 6: Yeah? He has kind of a smooth like he kind of glide around the court. He is very very smooth. He looks he makes it look effortless, kind of like the way Tayshawn Prince did. When he was at Kentucky. It never looked like he was playing hard or running hard or breaking a sweat. But by the time he broke into the starting lineup to the end of the year, you know, when he dropped twenty nine on Tennessee in the SEC Tournament Championship, you knew he had the makings of a big time player. And I thought he was really consistent once he broke into the starting lineup. I thought he was very, very consistent for that Kentucky team, which was very inconsistent as the season went on. They had that four game losing streak in February and kind of similar to the ten eleven team where they just kept losing those close SEC games on the road. And but just you know, blossomed into a star at Kentucky, and you know, he is the perfect example of run your own race. You know, run the race that you're in. Everybody has different paths to where they're going, and you know, he was a guy that wasn't a sure one and done. He wasn't ranked as a five star by most of the recruiting services. I think we had him at number twenty below Quade Green, mind you, but you know came in, wasn't afraid of competition at Kentucky, worked hard to get better every single day. I've heard former UK assistant Joel Justice just rave about his work ethic and being in the first one in the gym in the morning and just getting better every single day. And then you saw flashes of his ability when he was a rookie with the Clippers. He gets dealt to the Thunder and again has just continued to get better and better and better. Where now you look up all of a sudden, he's the first NBA player since Lebron in twenty thirteen to win the regular season MVP and the Finals MVP in the same season. And he's the first player since Shack I believe in two thousand to win the regular season MVP, the scoring title and the finals MVP. He's had a truly historic year for the Thunder and you know, kind of seeing under the radar of the Thunder themselves have had a historic season. I think if you combine the regular season and the playoffs, they're up over eighty wins this season and to cap it off with a championship is definitely special for them and caps off the truly historic season that we've seen from SGA.
Speaker 1: And they're the youngest team to win it in decades, so we may see more of the same. He is Chris Fisher of The Cat's Pause, part of the two four to seven Sports Network. We'll come back and talk more Kentucky basketball with Chris on the other side. Welcome back. We're talking with Chris Fisher of two four to seven Sports in the Cat's Pause and covers recruiting primarily, and you've posted about a five star point guard tailor Kenney. Tell me about him and how many people are after him and one of the Ozzie becomes a Wildcat. I know it's early, but he's a native of Kentucky right.
Speaker 6: He is originally from Newport, led Newport to a Sweet six appearance before transferring to Overtime Elite last summer. Really dynamic point guard. Top fifteen prospects in the twenty twenty sixth class, top five point guard, one of several I think very very good options that Kentucky has at point guard in the twenty twenty sixth class. But I'm sure Kentucky would like to strike on another homegrown talent and I think Kentucky is near the top of his list. He's already taken an official visit to Purdue, to Louisville as well, He'll see Oregon in September, and the way he's talking, it sounds like he's a little bit further down the road than a lot of the twenty twenty six recruits are. He says he wants to cut his list down to six or seven in the near future and then have a decision before the start of the high school season, and so I would probably expect him to sign with his school in the early period in November. Like I said, I think Kentucky's right there at the top. I think Louisville is right there at the top. As I mentioned, he's already visited Perdue. If he's taking an official visit to Oregon, I'd say they're in the mix as well. And then I think Indiana and Texas are probably the other two that are working around Sean Miller was very familiar with his game, the former head coach at Xavior. Now he's a Texas and then Indiana as well. I think they will be in the mix for whenever he cuts his list down. But if I'm Kentucky. I'm not sure I'm trading spots with with anybody else. I think they're right there. You know, Mark Pope has had a lot of success in a very short period of time with the n State kids. He's a former teammate of Jasper Johnson as overtime e Leeds, so there's that familiarity there as well. And then you look at the way Mark Pope plays. They get up and down, they shoot a ton of threes, and he gives his guards a lot of offensive freedom. So I think that would be a feeling to a guy like take any.
Speaker 1: And likely will need a new point guard next year, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's the other thing. I think that's going to be an appealing set up. Kentucky will likely lose most of its roster again after next season, and we'll be in another offseason rebuild, which would would mean playing time for a young freshman like Taylor Kenning, and I think he's fully capable of coming in and playing right away.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting too with the high school recruits. You don't have to automatically, as you know, assume they'll be one and done's because of the nil factor, right, I mean it used to be a guy like this, and he may well be a one and done, but it's not going to be as automatic as it might have been during the Caliperia. And that's not a knock on Calipario. That's just the way they were doing business back then, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think in some ways, I think cal kind of became a victim of his own succeed you know, had so many guys go one and done that it kind of became well, well, if you're not a one and done, then you're you're a little bit of a failure. And then on top of that, you have another crop of you know, five star McDonald's, all Americans coming in behind you. So if you don't get it done in that one year, you you know, you might not ever get it done at Kentucky. And so we saw a lot of those guys who didn't enter the draft transfer out. We saw guys that probably made poor decisions in hindsight and entering the draft or staying in the draft. And it seems like Mark Pope is going to have a lot more success in retaining some of these guys. I think, you know, he talks so much about that the jump that guys make from year one to year two in his system, and they don't have to process the information anymore. They're just making decisions and playing basketball. And so, you know, I do think the retention rate is going to be much much higher from our pope, and NIL certainly helps with that as well. You see a lot of these fringe guys, you know, a couple of years ago. I don't think there's any way take a Oway comes back to Kentucky for another season, but NIL certainly played a big role in that. And I think it's good for the game. College basketball is is older than it's been in a really really long time, and I think we've seen that, you know, bear itself out in the product. I think it's a much better quality of games that we're seeing with these fourth year and fifth year guys and when we're seeing with the one and done.
Speaker 1: Here talking to Chris Fisher the cast pause part of the two four seven network and by the way, bouncing back to the NBA and one and Done's reed, Shepherd remains a Houston Rocket despite the Kevin Durant trade, and apparently the Rockets stood firm and said he's not available for trade, which kind of was a pleasant surprise to me. Be interesting to see Reed Shepherd playing next to Kevin Durant, won't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that'll be fun. I think the Rockets were able to keep most of their core intact, and you know, they're they're a really really exciting team. You know, they were the number two seed in the West this season, and we're able to keep that young core, and you know, really the only thing they were missing was a guy that could get buckets late in the shot clock, and that's certainly Kevin Durant. I think he, you know, kind of keeps them competitive right there behind the Thunder in the top of the Western Conference. And you know, I think read Shepherd if you just look, if you're a casual NBA fan and just look at his counting stats, you're going to go, oh, a number three pick. You know, probably not a great season, but they just had so many quality veteran bards in front of him that it was going to make it really, really difficult for him to see the floor as a rookie this season. But you know, he goes down to the G League and I think sets the franchise scoring record with forty nine points in his first game. And so the talent is there, the ability is there. He just needs a little bit of season and a little bit of opportunity to show what he's working.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go, I got to ask and we talked a lot about the men seeing. But Kenny Brooks has done some good work on a recruiting trail, hasn't he.
Speaker 6: Indeed, he has has two top fifteen prospects on the board for twenty twenty six at Madden Greenway top ten point guard from Minnesota. She verbal to Kentucky back in November, and then Kentucky ads Canadian prospect Savvy Swords over the weekend, another top fifteen prospect in the twenty twenty sixth class. Kentucky currently with the number one overall recruiting class for twenty twenty six. Just unbelievable recruiting chops by Kenny Brooks. If you combine the high school ranks with what he's done through the transfer portal and bringing Georgia Amore last season and what he's done in the portal this season, I think Kentucky will pick up right where they left off last season. And then you go back to twenty twenty five, brought in Kentucky's first McDonald's All American since Treasure Hunt in twenty twenty and five star forward Kail and Carroll. I would expect there to have an impact this year as well. So didn't take long for old Kenny Brooks to get it rolling stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Treasure Hunt was a bit of a bust. He just wasn't happy and didn't want to work hard. I don't see that happening under Kenny Brooks.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: I'm really really excited with the team that he's built. That was such a fun team to watch last season. It was heartbreaking the way they lost that second round tournament game to Kansas State very easily. You know, at that last shot by Georgia Amore from the faith line, a shot she's probably made a million times over the course of her basketball career, and it's able to find the bottom of the net. They're onto the sweet sixteen and you know, probably look at that season completely differently than we did. But just a really unbelievable, fun, exciting team to watch. And I just I just think he's made women's basketball must be TV for Kentucky fans and didn't take him long at all.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting that Mark Pope, Kenny Brooks and and Pat Kelsey at Louisville all come in and they basically have the same assignment to essentially totally rebuild their respective rosters with programs where the expectations, especially Kentucky men's basketball Louisville had dropped off a bit. UK women had dropped off a bit. But they've all known great success relatively speaking, uh, and they're all fast tracking back to where they need to be. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think culture matters. Yes, you know, how how you do anything is how you do everything. And you know, those all three programs were led by by top notch of leaders in those head coaching positions, and so you know, I don't think it's a surprise that all three of those programs have have gotten on back back on track as quickly as as they did, especially in this age of the transfer portal. And you know, I heard someone recently say that Mark Pope has the ability to microwave chemistry, and I thought that was such a great way to put it because we saw so many college basketball teams Kansas State, Indiana, Arkansas spend a ton of money in the portal last season and it did not lead to great results. Kansas State missed the tournament, Indiana missed the tournament. Arkansas struggled for much of the year before they were finally able to kind of get the wheels on late in the year. But just because you bring in a top five portal class, just because you spend a ton of money, doesn't necessarily equate to great results. It takes chemistry. It takes you know, having the right fit guys that complement each other instead of just acquiring a bunch of talent. And I think all three of those programs were able to do that.
Speaker 1: You can't put them together like they're just fantasy teams. And for these coaches and Pope, by no, because we've talked to the players coming through on a Zoom call like that, you know, I'm sure and I guarantee you there's there's a face to face meeting before or maybe not. Maybe they're committing through Zoom. I don't know if they are. That's even more impressive, isn't it. But yeah, go ahead, It ain't easy, is what I was saying.
Speaker 6: No, And if you go back, if you look at Mark Pope's you know he's had two top five recruiting classes and two off seasons at Kentucky. If you look at both of them, he's done an unbelievable job of getting guys who appreciate the opportunity to play at Kentucky. And that wasn't always the case with you know, some of the one and doun's that came through, and I know a lot of fans started to feel like Kentucky was becoming more or less of a stopover for these guys on their way to the NBA as opposed to, you know, relishing the opportunity to you know, play for the greatest tradition in college basketball history. And I think Mark Pope has done an unbelievable job getting these guys to understand the mantle that they've been given, the responsibility they have as Kentucky players, not just to the program, but to the state of Kentucky. And uh, if you've got if you hear these guys during these media opportunities, they have an unbelievable attitude and unbelievable gratitude to you know, for being a Kentucky player and having that.
Speaker 1: Opportunity well put by Chris Fisher, we'll leave it there. Follow Chris, of course on the Cats Pause website two four seven Sports dot Com Backslash Kentucky and also on Twitter or x if you will at Chris Fisher two four seven. Thank you, sir, and have a great summer. We'll talk again soon, all right, Thanks Bob, Welcome back to the Big Blue and sider Dick Gabriel with you. We heard from the UK women that made available to us today UK women's basketball players. They also made some of the men available of doing that each week, which is great, and we got a chance this week to meet two of the new guys, Mohammed Diabate and Denzel Aberdeen, and of course Aberdeen transfers in from Florida, and he talked about the fact that when Kentucky called, he was quick to answer yes.
Speaker 12: Sir, it was pretty quick. When they called, I was like, man, I told my dad, Like, Dad, we can just school I want to be at just seeing all the past people that came in and out through this school, all the great players, and my main goals to make it the NBA, and just seeing how this school has transferred guys young guys to be a great man on and off the court. It's something I want to achieve. So when they called, I was like man, I gotta come here and played for coach Pope, obviously another national champion, and just the school itself and the people here at the atmosphere. It's crazy. I've been watching on TV. I played against last year here and it was crazy. So when they called it was pretty much a no brainer for me, and I was like, yeah, I gotta do it.
Speaker 3: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: And what's fascinating is he was part of, as you know, of a national championship team. He played for the Florida Gators, and he played a lot. He averaged nearly twenty minutes a game, averaged nearly eight points, couple of rebounds per contest, and they've got a lot coming back. They got a chance at repeating. Of course, I don't know that they'll be as good losing Walter Clayton Junior, but they got a lot of the parts coming back. They got some new parts at Florida, like everybody does. And he had three seasons invested in Gainesville, so I asked him, and of course he played a lot more last year than he did the first two years. So I said, well, it seemed like things were going pretty well. Why leave Gainesville? Why leave Florida?
Speaker 12: That's pretty much between me and my family. But I'm just happy for the Kentucky for reaching out and giving me a chance to play here and try to get one here. It's like I said, things happen in life, but I mean, it's all the God's plans. So just being here and being Kentucky, being at this next school I'm at. I'm just happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Kind of a cryptic response, a non answer or answer. But most guys who transfer, that's pretty much what they give you. They don't want to get two specific and that's fine, that's okay. But when he said it's between me and my family, you know, I wondered, could this be an nilsu? I mean, is he got a better opportunity at Kentucky. He certainly fills the need for Mark Pope. There's no question about that. And Pope talked about that with us a couple of weeks ago. I mean, you heard his comments. You know this is a guy. He loved his game watching him play at Florida, And if you watch Florida play, this guy is active, he's strong, he's athletic, and I think he'll fit right in to the way Pope plays. And he talked about how difficult it was to play defense against the Mark Pope system of offense and said he's learning it pretty quickly now. But he said he's glad he doesn't have to learn it and guard against it anymore. And Mohammed Diabatte said the same thing. Then he played for an Alabama team that loves to get up and down the floor, as does Mark Pope's team. That was one of the things that attracted him to Kentucky. But Diabatte also talked about the fact that even now with the Kentucky team that was slow getting off the ground under pub last year, defensively, he believes right now that with the players who came back and with the new guys on the roster, Diabate thinks defense could be right out of the box one of the strong suits of this team.
Speaker 9: Man, I think it's probably gonna be one of the best defensive teams Kentucky scene in a while. Like we got guys like like JQ. He hasn't even played yet, Like I just just knowing what he could do. He's not even practice yet, Like like that's scary. Like guys like me or take a jel, we take private defense, So I feel like that's something that the team needs and stuff like that, and I feel like it's gonna be a real good year defensively for us. I don't think that's gonna be one of the liability we have.
Speaker 1: And this is another guy that Mark Pope said, I am glad he's on our team now because it was tough to play against him and Diabate when they played Alabama, which took three games from the Wildcats last year, including the SEC Tournament. Kentucky of course, won its only matchup with the Florida Gators and what might have been the most entertaining game of the entire season, not just for your k but in all of college basketball. That was a hell of a game anyhow, Diabaate is such a key for Alabama, and Pope talked about the physicality of his game, and Diabat talked about the element of physicality he brings to the Wildcats.
Speaker 9: It's something I always had called the physicality. I played soccer as a kid. That was my first sport, So just just playing with like my brothers and stuff. For in the community, that was even physical to even start with. People people don't understand how physical soccer could really get but it's just the environment that I grew up in, Like you know, it just it just made me just play physical. But yeah, and I think it's gonna help us a lot this year, the physicality not only for me from Otaga Brandon Denzel, I feel like we could do something special with that.
Speaker 1: We talked with the about to a little bit and heard from him about his upbringing in New York where he played, of course, on the playgrounds. He's from Queen's originally, and he talked about what it's like to play, you know, where nobody really calls fouls and on the playground games, you know, you keep playing or you sit and if you get beat he might not play for another hour or two. And of course Aberdeen is an Orlando native, and we asked him about moving from Gainesville, moving from Florida up to Kentucky, and he talked when he the first thing out of his mouth was the weather. Of course, it's hot and human. He's used to that, but we were reminded him, hey gets a little cold up here. He said, he's already bought winter clothes. He's trying to get ready for it now. But it's going to be a shock to him. I can't wait to speak to him in the middle of winter, middle of December and see how he's getting along again. Part of a strong transfer class for the Wildcats. How strong well, according to one writer Jeff Borzello of ESPN dot com, who is filling some time and some space on the internet ranking the basketball transfer classes, and he is one of several who have Rick Pattinos Saint John's Red Storm ranked number one. And Patino has made and did make throughout the year, no effort to hide the fact that he was going to go heavily into the portal and all but ignore the high school ranks. I think he signed one high school kid, but true to his word, he went hard at the portal and signed Bryce Hopkins. The former Wildcat. Signed kids from Stanford, Arizona State, North Carolina, Cincinnati, a kid from Idaho State, but all he did was average nearly twenty points a game. Dylan Darling remember that name, and to me the most fascinating, Well, he signed a kid out of an Nai school Milligan named han J. Tomba who averaged ten and a half points per game. But Patino thought enough of him to reach out bring him to New York City, making part of the class underwridden by Mike Ropoli, and he averaged fifteen a game eleven rebounds a game last year. That's all I know about him, but he'll be apparently a big part of Saint John's. Number two class according to Borsello, is Kentucky with Jaden Quainton's with Jalen Loade and zelabortein you Deterern from him and Diabate Cam Williams rhys Potter number two overall and of course Pope with a top five recruiting class, so mix it all together. Number three according to Borsello. Among the transfer classes, Michigan, which brought in four, Louisville is ranked fourth. They only brought in three, but all three guys our top thirty five picks and they can all shoot from the perimeter. Florida Gators only three, but they're the fifth ranked team, thanks in large part to Boogie Flann coming in from Arkansas. I just think it's fascinating the other two transfer kids from Florida, one from Princeton and the other from Ohio University. How about that? Filling in out Washington sixth, Indiana seventh, Oklahoma eighth usc the Trojans bringing in nine new players. They went per volume. Their ranked ninth. The corn Into Borsello and Iowa is tenth another school that brought in nine. That's according to Jeff Borsello of ESPN dot Com. Back was more of the Big Blue Insider and just a few here on six point thirty WLAP. Welcome back to the Big Blue and Sider, final segment of our program. We've talked a lot of Kentucky basketball. Of course, they are making players available to us, so why not we talk with them and share it with you. But also the information out there pouring in about recruiting quite naturally, all kinds of information on all kinds of websites. But of late we know that Bryson Howard has received an offer from Mark Pope and the staff. He is a shooting forward six' five weighs two hundred. Pounds he is From, Frisco texas that is in The dallas, area and a four star. Guy according to two four. Seven he has rated twenty eighth nationally among shooting. Forwards he is eleventh in the country and in The Great state Of. Texas is ranked as the number two player overall and it's so interesting to. Me people are interested in basketball now In, texas not just women's, basketball which was great back in the early eighties and. Beyond but for the longest, time people just kind of shrugged about basketball in that. State WHEN i was down there in the early, EIGHTIES i just couldn't believe that it wasn't more. Popular but THEN i learned, that AND i was asking, around why isn't there more interest in high school and college? Basketball and somebody told, me quite, frankly there was a rule believe it or, not AND i could believe it against basketball camps summer camps in the state Of. Texas you could go to all the football camps you want or you want. It back, then there were no basketball. Camps and what turn things around from BEST i could tell it was a huge factor Was Michigan's Fab. Five remember those guys in early nine. Nineties two of them were from the state Of. Texas so people down there were looking At michigan making all these, headlines making a run at the national, title and there's this it's almost an, arrogance but a pride In. Texas why isn't that happening? Here and so things began to really turn around for basketball in that, state and so now you See Julius randall Led kentucky to the, championship was minutes away from a national. Championship he was From, dallas so, yeah things have changed in the state Of texas when it comes to. Basketball kentucky also has offered a shooting forward by the name Of Cadence samuels sixty five two hundred From Maryland District, heights ranked eighteenth, nationally was the number five shooting forward and In maryland the number one, Prospect so a couple of offers going. Out he's also looking At alabama And georgia from within THE. Sec the other kid also looking At texas and. Others so, yeah a lot Of skoley offers out there for The wildcats and both basketball and. Football it's that time of, year isn't. It kentucky football commitments list per rivals with nine, players Including Lincoln, watkins the four star tight end And Port, Huron, michigan and four three star. Kids they just picked up a commitment as well from a cornerback In, Katie texas Outside, houston a d back Named isaiah. McMillan they did lose the only commitment they had from the state Of. Kentucky the lineman From. Tillman we still don't know where he's gonna end, up but don't be surprised if It's, louisville because he was recruited here by of, Course Vince. Merrill shifting over to baseball. BRIEFLY d One baseball's final rankings are, out of, course LSU's number, One Coastal carolina, Two arkansas, Three louisville is number, six And kentucky played ten teams in THE d One Baseball Final top twenty. Five louisville ended up being the highest, ranked AND i am amazed at a tip of the cap To dan McDonald and his ball club or turning things. Around they were struggling at one point earlier this, year as you probably know if you follow, baseball and in, Fact wildcats blew a late lead one of several Games kentucky blew late At. Louisville it was on a frigid. Night it was early in the year when things are gonna get, cold but that, night in, particular it was. Brutal it was, windy it was, cold and The wildcats lost when in Extras louisville walked it, off but they returned the game as they always do two weeks. Later it's a home and home each, year which is. Great Ugg flynn AND i worked that game and we went on early Because kentucky blew them. Out it was a run rule. Thing wildcats beat him what was, it seventeen to, seven AND i remember thinking what is wrong With, louisville particularly the. Bullpen but, man they turned it, around wound up ranked six in the. Country but the other Teams kentucky played from the top twenty Five Murray, state which beat The Wildcats, Auburn. Tennessee kentucky took that series down In, Knoxville West. Virginia the two losses in the Regional Sadly Texas wildcats took a. Game at the, TIME i Think texas was top Ranked, Vanderbilt, Georgia Ole, miss And clemson ranked twenty, third And wildcats Beat clemson in the. Regional so you talk about strength to. Schedule wildcats with ten matchups against THE d one baseball top twenty five saw this note. Online THE pac twelve has a new five year extension WITH Cbs. Sports right, now THE pac twelve is two, Teams Oregon state And Washington, state BUT cbs of, course with denial on the. Future twenty twenty Six, july a year from next, month THE pac twelve will grow With Boise, State Colorado, State San Diego, State Fresno, state And Utah. State they're all in the final year of The Mountain West. Conference Pluskins, zaga which has been in The West Coast conference, forever will join the NEW pac. Twelve And zaga does not have, football as you, know so that means the league has to add one more full time member with football to qualify as A Football Bowl subdivision, team AN fbs, team A Division one football. Team king in a lot of other. Schools Texas state in The Sun belt is they're, saying is. Likely that's a big school and it's got a good athletic. Program now they would have to pay The Sun belt a bunch of money to. Leave they're also looking At Sacramento, state but, man you, know so, anyway THE pac twelve it's. ALIVE i can't say it's, well but it will be by a year from that's going to do. It thanks to my Guest Chris fisher And Maggie. Davis that's a good night from the garage In.
Speaker 11: Lexington number Two chicken sal sand all the, butter the, lettuce the, mayonnaise and a cup of coffee anything.
Speaker 6: Else, Yeah, now all you have to do is hold the, chicken bring me the, toast give me a check for the chicken salad, sandwich and you haven't broken any.
Speaker 8: Rules you want me to hold the, chicken?
Speaker 6: HUH i want you to hold it between your.
Speaker 1: Knees.
Speaker 11: Tact, taping can, anything then tap tops, it don't don't tos