Speaker 1: You're listening to KPI AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio f.
Speaker 2: SO planet outside of our Solar.
Speaker 3: System that wasn't previously known about.
Speaker 2: It's a young gas giant, just like yes, Bill.
Speaker 1: No, you've been regarded as a young gas giant. That's you. We're gonna call it the Savedra. Like we have mercury and hudo.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna have the Savedra. I'm rubber and you're glue.
Speaker 3: Sure, And now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 1: Good morning. It is a Friday, a footy Friday, and a ask candle anything Friday, and the last day of the Supreme Court Friday where we're gonna be getting some rulings today. We have a lot going on this morning, so let me start with a good morning to one and all you know, Will are you there?
Speaker 2: I'm working on it. Yeah, I'm lying.
Speaker 1: It's the last few days I've not been able to get you. So you're going to see me in any second. Oh I think, yeah, there you are coming up. Because I want to make fun of whatever the hell you're willing.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. That's what I'm doing okay. Oh you shaved? I did, yes, just for you.
Speaker 1: Oh and your T shirt reads America needs journalists.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh more than ever. That's true.
Speaker 1: Actually, I'm not going to disagree with that, all right, So good morning Will the newly shaven Will and Neil. Good morning, Good morning Willie Wolf exactly. Cono is there?
Speaker 2: Good morning? And can I say a happy birthday to my mom?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: And it's also your daughter's birthday if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 2: Is it June?
Speaker 1: Is it June twenty seven?
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 1: Oh god, thank you?
Speaker 2: Well wow, well wow.
Speaker 1: I hope they're not. I hope they're not listening, because I completely forgot.
Speaker 2: She actually reminded me of that, because that's how wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, maybe I'll call him up, and maybe I'll call him up and wake them up right now, although they are. They are coming over tomorrow night. They're joining me for that event, the lay Lawyer's Philharmonic that I'm am seeing. And they're not huge fans of classical music.
Speaker 2: So I told.
Speaker 1: Them that there is a there's going to be This is a surprise, girls, because no one else knows. Okay, but I'm letting you in on it. That there's going to be a guest appearance okay by insert name here, Taylor Swift. She's going to be performing a song. Now, I know you're looking at me. That's not true, but I got them to go and this is very strong. Okay. Also, there's one guy, Mike Maguire, who is a lawyer. He's a practicing lawyer, and he won a Tony. He was the first lead in Lema's rob when it opened, and he won a Tony for it. How many lawyers do you think out there have won Tony Awards?
Speaker 2: Pretty awesome?
Speaker 1: Not forty of them actually, okay, Amy, good morning, Hi Bill, and good morning Hi Bill. Okay. Anyway, he's going to be singing Phantom of the Opera and Manda's he belted out, A guy is so good, just real quickly if you want to go. There's still tickets available, not a whole.
Speaker 2: Lot of them.
Speaker 1: It's tomorrow night, June twenty eighth, the day after my daughter's birthday, a day after Kono's wife's birthday. And oh your mom, right, sorry about that, I've already forgotten. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, okay, fair enough, anyway, go to LA lawyersfil dot Org. La Lawyers phill Is in Philharmonic La Lawyers fill dot Org. It's going to be at the Walt Disney Concert Hall and it's those are always great, great fun. Hope to see their tickets are cheap twenty bucks. It starts with and this is the orchestra it so it doesn't matter where you see it, although all the seats are great at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. All right, guys, let's do it. We got lots and lots to cover. I'm going to wake up the girls, I think, and wish them happy birthday. Sure, I am okay, here we go handle on the news, Amy neil me lead story. Well, today the court ends it's a nine month term and as always we will receive a bunch of rulings, which they do it the very last second. The most interesting one is the birthright citizenship dispute, but it really won't be because it is going to be a procedural issue. The underlying issue, and that is the Fourteenth Amendment, the language that if you're born in the United States, you're a citizen. Eh. I wish the Court would deal with that. They could, but they won't. Also, we've got what else we have conservative parents, religious parents opting their kids out of LBGT themed books, and class can't read those congressional districts in Louisiana. I mean, there are some technical stuff. We've gotten most of their big ones out of the way, But the fun one is the birthright one, because they have to do with anchor babies, and the President is pushing hard of getting rid of the birthright and a lot of people agree with him.
Speaker 5: Moving on, it looks like we got a deal. China has signaled that it will approve the export of rare earth minerals to the US. That signal comes hours after officials of the White House said the two sides had reached a deal in what will be a breakthrough after weeks of negotiations over US access to those rare earths, which are used in everything from electronics to fighter jets. They'd become a key focus of trade frictions between the world's two largest economies in the recent weeks.
Speaker 1: So we're getting the are orange rare earths, aren't we That's an orange chicken joke that didn't work at all at all. Okay, moving on, They can't all win.
Speaker 2: Fact, some of them would see some of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's more moving on in the GOP Senate has transformed key provisions from the House past version of Trump very well known One.
Speaker 3: Big Beautiful Bill Act, And this measure that would extend trillions of dollars in tax cuts actually spend hundreds of billions in immigration enforcement defense.
Speaker 2: The whole thing here is.
Speaker 3: That that it's spending a lot of money. So House budget hardliners are the ones that are speaking up. They tanked the legislation in May, saying that it added too much to the national debt. We'll see where it ends up landing.
Speaker 1: It's this one is interesting because you have the House Republicans that want in the Senate hardcore Republicans want to tank it because the cuts aren't deep enough, and the Democrats are saying the cuts are way too deep because you've got social programs that are being cut. Non immigration, not enforcement of the border is certainly not defense, but social program are being cut, and it's not the bill that the president wants. Now, the president gets a strong arm the Republicans, and every president does that to his own party as he starts calling up the congressman and the senators and starts really strong arming them, and in this case, Donald Trump, who controls the Republican Party unlike any president ever has The ammunition he has is extraordinary because he can say, you don't vote this way, I'm going to primary you out. You will not be a US Senator or you will not be a US congress person if you don't vote. And it takes someone who number one is willing to stand up or number two, the election is so guaranteed in that district that there is no way that person.
Speaker 2: Is going to lose.
Speaker 1: And even then, do you go against this president? Now? If not with the control that Donald Trump has the Republican Party. And we'll see, because there's some hard core well already the most a lot of the provisions I have disappeared. He's not going to be anywhere near the bill he wants. It could be very interesting to see what happens, all right.
Speaker 5: South Carolina wins before Scotis. The Supreme Court has blocked Planned Parenthood from suing South Carolina over the state's decision to pull funding because it provides abortions. The legal issue at the center of this case was technically not about abortion, but the Court's decision threatens funding for the organization that is a leading provider of reproductive healthcare and could lead other predominantly red states to target planned parenthood to make it harder for it to get Medicare funding.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the rules about courts in general, appeals courts not one of the rules, but basically one of their practices is they tend to rule very narrowly and most of the cases are a technical procedural, like the birthright issue.
Speaker 2: They're not going to.
Speaker 1: Rule on the merits of are people born in this country citizens of the United States. It has to do with the power of a judge to determine who or what goes in front of the court. And this is unfortunately, it's always technical. Now, occasionally you have these far reaching decisions Roe v. Wade, overturning Roe v. Wade, those are big time decisions, Brown versus Board of Education, Miranda, the Miranda warnings. I mean, those are massive decisions. The Supreme Court doesn't make those very often, so I don't think you're going to see any The last massive decision was the overturning of Roe. Oh, maybe the overfelt decision ten years ago legalizing marriage and gay marriage, but that doesn't happen very often. The Court can by the way, it can do anything at once. It can make a statement of huge import It's just normally doesn't.
Speaker 3: La County Department of Public Health offering its final free community blood testing event two day.
Speaker 2: Why is this important?
Speaker 3: While this screen's victims of the firestorms we had back in January of possible exposure to lead. So if you are in the area of the Eaton Palisade fire, you know, they found some lead in the levels in the soil. Today, from nine am to four pm there in Altadena at the Community Center there at seven three zero East Altaden to drive you can go and get your blood drawn and tested to see if you have any you know, heightened levels of lead. So far they've found some, but not to the dangerous dangerous level.
Speaker 1: By the way, this could be a very easy test. They don't even need to draw blood. They just throw you into a swimming pool and if you have success levels of lead.
Speaker 2: Boy, you just think there's one way and you'd also find out if they were a witch.
Speaker 1: That's also true.
Speaker 5: So Trump gets sued a lot and really likes to sue too. An attorney has sent legal letters to CNN and The New York Times alleging that stories by both organizations were false and defamatory regarding recent US air strikes against Iranian nuclear facilities. CNN responded that they rejected the claims made, and The Times also responded, saying no retraction is needed, no apology will be forthcoming. We told the truth to the best of our ability and will continue to do so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where is the defamation here? That's what I love about this. Remember he sued CBS and based on that interview with Kamala Harris, and they caved, and they talk about settling. This is just about settling. So what's CNN gonna do? Cave? There's no defamation. They reported that the Pentagon Intelligence arm said that there was little damage done to the Iranian nuclear facilities. The administration's information said there wasn't that there was far more damage.
Speaker 2: It was an obliteration.
Speaker 1: So all the Times did, CNN and the New York Times report what the Pentagon said, It still carried what Trump said. So what's the takeaway here? You disagree with Trump, you get sued. And if this isn't scary for any news organization because the threat is I'll sue, you can't say I'll shut you down.
Speaker 2: That would be a little bit tough.
Speaker 3: Did the Okay Bar Association support Trump and in his re election because they should have They are making more money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. Now that's absolutely true. Good point.
Speaker 2: Okay, So one.
Speaker 1: More and we will bail and take a break.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So you have President Donald Trump administration planning to deport migrant kilmar A Brigado Abrigo Garcia Brego. I know that sounded strange, Thank you, Amy for a second time. But the deportation will not happen until after Abrego is tried in federal court on migrant smuggling charges.
Speaker 2: So we will see how that goes. What do you think?
Speaker 1: You know, we haven't heard much about the evidence of the migrant smuggling prosecution. The Department of Justice says they have them all over the place. I mean, they have the evidence that he did that we don't know because that hasn't been covered a whole lot. What was covered is he was pick up, it picked up and deported to Venezuela, to that prison, and the President said, we can't do anything about it now he's gone, even though a court had ordered him to be returned. And the administration then caved and Venezuela did return him, so as soon as he returns, they'd pick him up and arrest him. And I'm trying to remember was he released on bail or is he still being held amy.
Speaker 5: He was going to be released on bail, but then they decided to keep him in custody for at least a few more days because and maybe this is decided now, but because they were worried if he was let out on bail while he was waiting for trial, Ice might nab him into port him.
Speaker 1: It's this whole thing is such a cockale that is fascinating anyway, And if they do try him for this, then he goes to prison, and upon his release from prison, he is deported. And that's the way it goes with illegal migrants who are convicted of pretty serious crimes in this country. They do their time and then they're tossed.
Speaker 5: RFK Junior's new vaccine panel has taken its first action. The panel of advisers selected by Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Junior, voted yesterday to recommend that no one get a flu vaccine that contains thimmers.
Speaker 2: The mamasol t marisol.
Speaker 1: I think is the way he's pronounced.
Speaker 5: It's a preservative that has been the target of anti vaxxers and Kennedy himself. Five members voted to recommend that no children, pregnant women, or adults get any flu vaccine with tamarsol or however you say it. There was one panel member who voted no. He said, the risk from influenza is so much greater than the non existence is existent as far as we know risk from the preservative. He said he'd hate for a person not to get the influenza vaccine because the only available preparation has the preservative in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now here's the fun one. This is another page out of the insanity of this department in Robert Kennedy Junior.
Speaker 2: First of all, Robert F.
Speaker 1: Kennedy Junior doesn't have any experience in when he's dealing with health issues, big health issues across the board. His position is anti vax that's his experience. And tamarasol. The connection between tamarasol and autism. The anti vaxers quote one study that was completely debunked. There is study after study that shows there is no connection between autism and tamarasol. And here we go, and now you watch that he is so anti vaxed that the CDC at some point is going to say we recommend no vaccines because they're so dangerous to you. This is just insane. And there was a presentation from A Lynn Redwood, who was president of the Kennedy's anti vax group. She identified herself as just quote a private citizen because she has no experience either in this world. And she is a quote expert who actually works for the government in the office of the Assistant Secretary for Health. But she is an expert, and she's just a private citizen. She says, this is all of this is insane. It is crazy, beyond crazy. What's going on with this?
Speaker 2: This can get you worse.
Speaker 3: If Jenny McCarthy, if she was a big fan of Trump, she'd probably have his job.
Speaker 1: I mean, all of it is. It's just crazy, you know, to Marisol, because it is used as a preservative, which has been debunked to connection to autism. Don't take vaccines. Don't take the flu vaccine, even though what fifty thousand people a year in the United States die of the flu. Okay, one more and then we'll take.
Speaker 2: Our break, all right.
Speaker 3: The Santa Inez Reservoir in the Palisades that we heard a lot about was empty and undergoing repair during the time of the January firestorm. There it's back online. It's had problems. This floating cover had a significant tear that needed to be fixed. They fixed it supposedly a couple months back, and then they found in April some more issues when they were filling it back up, so they drained it, did more repairs, and it looks like it is back online.
Speaker 1: Pinhole size leaks in.
Speaker 2: The cover the second time, the big I understand the.
Speaker 1: First time there were terrors, but the second time it was another I don't know, six months, eight months whatever. To repair pin hole size.
Speaker 3: They actually had to have divers go in to see the holes. Well, they probably only just get bigger if you've ever had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, i'll bind.
Speaker 3: We had a pool cover that a pin hole size. We've had it replaced three times.
Speaker 1: All right, Okay, iris tracked. We won't be doing this again when you correct me. I just want to let you know.
Speaker 5: Okay. So, speaking of free falling, we told you about that guy who was who helped the fertility clinic bomber in Palm Springs get the ammonium nitrate or whatever to make the bombs. We told you that he died in the Metropolitan jail. Well, now we know that he died because he jumped off a balcony.
Speaker 1: Took a swan dive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking of free falling. Nice segue, maybe, cakey.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Governor Gav Newsom, who is fighting in court to bring the Guard back under his command, says Trump's action in Los Angeles is harming public safety. So he says, whether it's ventanyl takedown operations or wildfire response, the California National Guard plays a critical role in protecting our communities and Trump is deliberately undermining that work.
Speaker 5: Are there any flowers burning right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly the question. Has it affected fire prevention in the sense of fires burning right now and we don't know? And if there are no fires, he gets a pass. If there are fires and they needed those National Guard troops, it's a little bit different. But I think the underlying argument here of Newsom is, come on, you know, we have you know, we need these guys ready to go.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: The other question is how many how many National Guard troops as Donald Trump brought to the table, was that like four thousand something like that?
Speaker 5: There's four thousand, but then he had remembered he had said he wanted another two thousand. But we haven't heard that they've been brought here. Maybe they were just activated.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and if there is a fire, my question is can a lot more be activated in the thousands? In other words, did this make a huge effect on the number that can be called up? And I don't know the answer. That's predicated on how many National Guard troops are available, how many are firefighters have been trained in firefighting.
Speaker 5: Looks like the biggest fire that's burning in California right now is up near Vizilia. It's eighty three acres.
Speaker 3: Right American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit what are the odds wins Day on behalf of a fourteen year old student who said a teacher humiliated her for refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance in protest of US support of Israel's war in Gaza. So the teacher told her, since you live in this country and enjoy its freedom, if you don't like it, you should go back to your country.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 3: And then the parents, they're Palestinian descent, said that their daughter suffered extensive emotional and social injuries.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you know, and we'll never be able to sleep again and can't get an elevator and seize the flag and Flips's.
Speaker 2: Crappy of the teacher, though I.
Speaker 3: Think you know as much as in the other side. It ticks me off, and it does. It rubs me the wrong way. It's like, if you're going to love America, you're going to love America's constitution, which says she has the right.
Speaker 1: Not to precisely. And here's the other issue that the argument was made during Brown versus Board when the Supreme Court under Earl Warren, when the advocates in favor of segregation said separate but equal, which was a bunch of crap. As long as we give them equal education, we can segregate black students and white students. And what the Supreme Court said, just the separation, the stigma of being separated out is enough, and I think that's the case here. Just the stigma of this kid being held out or being called out by the teacher is enough. And I agree with you, that's enough. And by the way, the other issue is there's a constitutional issue. Saying no statement is being made just doesn't want to stand during the Pledge of Allegiance. By the way, there was a lawsuit that was filed in San Francisco that the Pledge of Allegiance in and of itself is a violation of church and state because you say under God in the pledge. And how about the students were that were atheists? Why were they stigmatized? And the court, the appeals court ruled in favor of the plaintiff and said, Okay, you can't use under God, and the law was changed instantly. Under God is fine, much like much like in God we trust on the dollar bill.
Speaker 3: So what about the teacher's right to do what to stigmatize kids or the freedom to say, hey, this is in my opinion, no.
Speaker 2: You can't do that.
Speaker 1: The teacher does not have a right to move a kid. How about a teacher's right to move a black kid over to the back of the class.
Speaker 2: So if she did that, she just said no, no.
Speaker 1: But that's not the point when you talk about teachers' rights. The teacher does not have the right to separate kids out or call out some kid for not standing up during the pledge. Okay, I think we have another.
Speaker 5: Brad wasn't home when his home was broken into. Brad Pitt's house in Los Phelis was broken into Wednesday night, officials are saying. Police are saying that they're not sure if his home was targeted by burglars or if it was just another expensive home that got broken into. Not known how much was taken, but apparently it was ransacked pretty good. Three people got into the house around ten thirty on Wednesday night by jumping over a fence and then breaking in through a front window.
Speaker 1: You would think by now, these high end, these actors and particularly sports figures who are being burglarized, at what point do they bring in armed security guards and someone breaks in, they just shoot him in the heart right there.
Speaker 2: I would good to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, just to let you know when I'm gone, my house is not worth breaking in two which is true. By the way, it is full of goods from Costco. Uh, that's it, Curt.
Speaker 5: Speaking of Costco, did you see that they're putting fast charging EV stations.
Speaker 1: At Costco's No, I haven't noticed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Crow's got a oister on.
Speaker 1: It, which oh, okay, you have to find out which ones?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, look at him? Get it so excited?
Speaker 5: Well, I knew. I you know what I heard the I heard Crow's story on it this morning, and I went, oh, Bill's going to be excited about that. In fact, I'll do it in my seven o'clock now da.
Speaker 2: I'm straight.
Speaker 1: You know where I'm going today? Yes, I'm going. I'm going to a therapy session that I'm going to have today at Costco.
Speaker 2: Oh I was what was that?
Speaker 1: A few days ago? Earlier in the week, I went to Costco and the clerk recognized me, recognized my voice, and he said, hey, you're Bill Handle. You really do come here to Costco. I go, yeah, of course I do. And then the lady in front of me turned to the clerk and said, of course. Worse he goes to Costco and then asks for a selfie.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 4: Did you do it?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, of course? Oh yeah, no, it's uh, you know, someone asked me for a selfie. I mean, these are the people that pay.
Speaker 2: The bills, you know. Yeah, it's the least. What did you do it with a horrible shirt that you bought there? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I did it with one of my Hawaiian shirts, my Jack's knockoffs of the Tony Bahama shirts. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Tommy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Tony is the Knockoff?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, all right. This is kf I A M sixty. You've been listening to The Bill Handle Show, Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app