Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, and Welcome to Life is a gamble. My guest today is Elizabeth Reischardt, who we talk a lot on this show about life scambals that don't involve money necessarily, and so Elizabeth, Welcome to Life is a gamble.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I'm always so thrilled to have a chance to talk to you, so I'm very excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Well. Thanks. So you have chosen what I kind of call lottery professions, which are people and I did this myself, you know, wanting to be an actor, and so you first wanted to get into dance, and then comedy and stand up comedy and then writing for television, all of which are these things where super high risk but can be very high reward, except for maybe dance. I don't think there are any such Charissa's anymore that can actually make a lot of money being a dancer. But that's where you started, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, you're right, high risk, some reward. Dance leaves you with a lot of injuries and a lot of mental stuff where you're just always criticizing yourself. But yeah, I started with dance when I was younger, and I grew.
Speaker 1: Up how old, oh four? Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I grew up very, very poor, and so my mom put me in dance at our church and then saw I had a talent. And then she was gambling herself because she would put me in classes and get them to do do you remember layaway where they would have it? I guess she basically did that with dance studios. She would have them do payment plans when they didn't do that for anyone else, and then I would get scholarships to go to summer program. So she really we did not have any money, and she put a lot of effort into helping me pursue that passion. And then at a certain point I was getting way too many injuries. My mom got sick, and then I made the decision to leave dance behind, even though I still very much love it and anytime I get tipsy, I'm dancing around the place.
Speaker 1: You know, were you focused on ballet or other forms of dance?
Speaker 2: Mainly ballet? I did everything else. I hated tap. Tap was my enemy. It was too loud. But ballet I loved it. It was so graceful. I think I fit very well with it, and it was always away for me to express myself. I was very shy when I was younger, and so dance was away for me to be vocal when I couldn't really be vocal, which really helped at that time, that adolescent time when you're so angsty.
Speaker 1: And was the dream to go to New York and join ABT or or yeah? Was it so?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And at what age did you finally say all right, my body won't put up with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was nineteen. I had a knee injury. I kept getting my feet were always in points to you, so I was getting infections from the just the moisture of always having it in there. But yeah, I remember I was in a studio by myself, practicing a variation for an audition coming up, and I looked at myself in the mirror and I was like, I don't think I'm ever going to achieve what I want to achieve, which is to be a prima ballerina. And I made the choice to go. I don't think. I think I got to stop. I don't want to be in the core, I don't want to be in the ensemble. And if I can't achieve this goal, I think I'm going to go to something else. So and at the same time, my mom got sick, so I was like, yeah, I'm not I went and helped my mom while she was going through treatment.
Speaker 1: Where were you when this happened.
Speaker 2: I was in Pittsburgh. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And was that a I mean for me when I reached that moment where you know, I had spent my life my life thinking I wanted to be an actor, and when it suddenly occurred to me, oh my god, I do not want to do this. It was a real crisis for me to absolutely And is that what happened with you two?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had a huge identity crisis. I didn't know what was up, what was down. I didn't know what I was going to do next. It was it was very jarring. And you had the same thing with.
Speaker 1: Acting, exactly exactly the same. And it wasn't the acting. I still loved the acting, it was the business of Hollywood and what the way that actors were treated. And you know, my background was on the stage and it it was completely different than when you were trying to get roles in film and television.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And that's my biggest thing with any of the because I know you and I've dabbled in many different industries with art and That's my biggest thing is when you start getting treated a certain way, our politics come into it, favoritism, Like you start with a bunch of group like with your with people who will you just have so much passion for the art form, Like I know both you and I have done improv and that was my biggest thing with improv. I was like, this is so cool. It's we get to just have fun and laugh. And then all of a sudden people get put on teams and then people start being competitive and not wanting to hang out with certain people, and you're just like, remember when we were all in college and hanging out at a pizza's job. Why can't we go back there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So how did you handle that when the well, I mean you had a big distraction. I guess if you're mom was very ill and you were taking care of.
Speaker 2: Her, yeah that period of time, I mean, yeah, so with the identity crisis that that took over and then she ended up passing away and that was a whole nother identity crisis. And you know, I think in big life moments like that, you either kind of crumble or you you rise like a phoenix from the ashes. And me and my siblings were just like, we have to honor our mom, you know, all the things that she couldn't do. And she was such an artsy person too, and she never got to travel. So then I pivoted and I was like, I'm going to move to LA. I'm going to pursue comedy and writing. And she was a big She was a big factor in me really jumping and seeing if the net appeared with that, with that decision, and.
Speaker 1: So you moved to LA And how old were you at that point?
Speaker 2: I was, I think twenty five, twenty four to twenty five because in Betwo Queen my mom being her passing away. I got my master's in social work when I worked in that field for a while, and that was a job that brought me to La so I could. I worked overnight graveyard shift at a treatment center in Malibu, and then I would not sleep, wake up, take improv classes, and then I would sleep in my car for a little bit, and then I would intern at the comedy places. It was I don't know how I did that during that time, but it was just go, go, go, go go constantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're kind of invulnerful when we're young, and she don't realize what we can't do.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And so when you moved to LA did you know anybody? Did you have any kind of support network out there at all, or did you just go in blind?
Speaker 2: Great question. My brother he was actually going to film editing school in Burbank, so I stayed with him for a little bit. And I did have an old dance friend and her now husband that I ended up moving in with in North Hollywood, so they were here, but it was limited really truly. My community started by going to improv. I took a ton of classes and that's where I met some of my best friends still to today. That yeah, I just hopped around a bunch of improv schools and then collected friends and forced them to be friends with me too.
Speaker 1: And you were working as a social worker, which yeah, I think, man, is that a thankless job? And I've had several friends who did it and the burnout rate is very high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's insane. It's insane. And I had this moment where I told myself social work is something you can do at any age, and so I made the decision that you know, writing and improv and all that stuff, I had to do it at that point and I would put social work on the back burner. But I still today, I'm still going to go back. I have such a passion for it. Oh yeah. I My passion is victim of victims of domestic violence and human trafficking, and I was able to work with that population before I stopped, and I'm going to go back to it eventually. And even things like acting, painting, improv those art forms you can use as a tool for therapy, so I really want to bring that and dance as well. I was doing dance movement therapy before I stopped. So all of this stuff that I'm kind of collecting all my interests I really want to take back to the social work world eventually, just not yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. I told my you know, I had an acting teacher when I was in college who used to say to me, it'll take you many years to grow into your face. And I had no idea, like what does that mean? And I think, looking back on it, what it meant is you're never going to get work until you're old. And when I gave up acting, when I was fortunate that I had a skill I was able to use and make earn a living. But once I moved back to Las Vegas, I thought, you know what, now I can go back to acting without any of the worries about not interested in a career or having to make money at it or any of that stuff. You know, I could just do it for the joy of it. And it sounds like you're thinking about that in terms of social work in the same way that you will be able to go back to it at some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And isn't that so freeing when I mean, both of us, I know, can put ourselves back into that mindset because I also acted in LA and commercial work and I was fed up with it too. But it's so freeing when you're like, I'm just going to use for fun. I don't care about the getting the right agent or yeah, trying to get that lead role, being like the hot commodity in LA. It's nice when you're just like, I want to do a play just for fine, just for fine, So freeing. I love it.
Speaker 1: Have you will get into writing in a minute, But have you written any plays?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I actually took a really great play writing class in Los Angeles last year when I wrote my first play, and it was such a fun experience. And my teacher, Bernardo Cubria, who's also a working writer, started as a playwright and now works in TV, and I think just sold a movie. But he was one of those dead poet society teachers that was like hop on your desk, and it really made me think about writing in a whole different way and like we're saying, like the art form should be fun. So, yeah, I wrote my first play, and I think you've written place too, right.
Speaker 1: I wrote one, and you know, all the writing that I've done has been basically because I had to. I wasn't doing it for the joy of it. I was doing it in the case of the play, which was the first thing that I wrote, other than sort of you know, short piece kind of things that were anyway, when I got to LA I realized that I was, you know, getting into some plays, but I realized I was not getting the kind of roles that would get me noticed by anybody. And so I thought, the only way I'm going to be able to get noticed I have a role that because my type was not a type that you know, leading man type, even though I looked very much like George Clooney. But so I thought, okay, I need to write a play for myself. Yeah, and that can showcase my talents as an actor.
Speaker 2: And what were what was the what was the type that you really were trying to showcase? Like what would you describe that like for a log line for that that character or type that you were trying.
Speaker 1: To for nowadays, you would call that character of the gay name friend, right, I mean, and I wasn't playing someone gay, but it was. I mean, that's the kind of type I was. I was the best friend, you know, the kind of either nerdy guy or weirdo guy that was the friend of either the girl or the guy or whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The George Costanza George Castanza, which is my favorite. Yeah there you go, yes, SA character on TV. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah. Anyway, so I wrote the play and what was funny was, you know, one of the reasons I did it was to try to get an agent. And after one of the performance as a guy approached me and he was an agent, and he said, hey, I'd like to represent you, and I was like, great, that's exactly why I did this, And he said, so, the first thing I'd like you to do is write a specscript for any sitcom on TV. And I was like, whoa, no, no, no, no, that's not why I'm I'm looking for a nitchin as an actor. And he's like, yeah, well, I'm not really interested in that. I'm interested in you as a writer. And so he agreed to take me on as an actor if he could also take me on as a writer. But then I didn't do any more writing until I was offered my first directing job. But I had to write the script in order to direct it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and do you think that that like him pushing you to consider yourself more of a writer as well? Do you think that that led to your directing career without him, without him saying like I want you as an actor and writer, do you think you would have pursued directing? Still?
Speaker 1: You know, the two things were totally separate. The directing came about as really a fluke. You know. I hit the that wall where I realized I didn't want to be an actor in Hollywood and I didn't know what to do. And I had a friend who was going to make a movie. He had put together like sixty thousand dollars. He was going to make a little movie. He asked me to help. I said, of course. And I was basically doing what you would call the production manager, although it was on a very small, very low budget film. And from there he formed a partnership with somebody and started a film company and started making these low budget movies that they were cranking out. And I was basically the production manager on all these early films, and they started to it started to be too much for him. He was doing all the writing and directing, and his partner was doing all of the shooting and editing.
Speaker 2: And only two people. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah. And I mean our crews in the beginning were you know, ten twelve people. And anyway, they got to the ninth film and he said, you know, do you want to direct? And I was like, yeah, yeah, I would, you know, and and and that's kind of how that happened. So it had nothing to do with my agent, who never really did anything for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my gosh, they never do. But you know, I'm going to be a big nerd right now and go back to improv. And yes, and I think that that's something that again you and I both share, not having an experience with something someone offering it to us and us going yeah, I'll do that and then internally being like maybe a little scared, but I'll figure it out as I go, or I'll do a bunch of research. And a lot of people I think they let fear stop them from saying yes. And you, if you say yes, your life can skyrocket in totally different, wonderful directions. So I'm glad we both have that yes and skill.
Speaker 1: Life is a gamble.
Speaker 2: There is right there there, it is there.
Speaker 1: Takes a risk. Okay, So I want to get back to comedy. So you're done with dance, you're working as a social work, you're taking improv classes. But the like, the the goal wasn't I'm going to be I'm going to make my living doing improv. So the thought was I can parlay improv into doing stand up comedy.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a great that's a great question. I think when I was heavy into improv, I was just so happy, like I got out of my shell. I was so quiet and shy. Pulled me out of my shell and I was just having a blast. You don't get opportunities like that a lot as an adult, where you get to just play and have fun with your friends and laugh. And I know that something you say a lot about your gambling days and being in a hotel room with your friends and just laughing even though you can, and sleeping on the floor even though you have separate rooms. It just it had that feel of just like so much joy. So at the time, I think I just really wanted to be an improv performer. I wanted to get on teams and travel, and at the time I wasn't really trying to do any stand up. But what improv did for me was I started to write sketches, and I started I wrote a one woman show, and then I remembered how much I loved writing. I loved writing as a kid, but I think I told you I had this terrible teacher who was too critical in elementary school.
Speaker 1: All the grades.
Speaker 2: They're too young to be critical, but I they kind of like maybe a little scared to write. And so comedy opened up that door again. I started to write, and then I realized, like, oh, I think I want be in a writer's room. I think the sketch writing and this collaboration I'm experiencing on these sketch teams is so fun. I didn't want to go back to school for it. I did not want to work at an agency because I had heard horror stories of agents throwing staplers at insurance heads. I didn't want to experience that. And so then I just started to tell all of my improv friends, if you hear of an assistant job in a writer's room, let me know. And I just repeated it over and over and over, which again, if people don't know what you're looking for, they can't help you. So then I had a friend that was leaving her job at Shondaland to go to Clowns School, and she got me an interview with that writer. Him and I hit it off, and then I got my first writing assistant job, which was for the show and Mintique Anna and I think I told you this. Shonda Rhimes herself was show running it, and so I was. I got a masterclass in writing and how to give notes and how to collaborate in a writer's room. But to answer your question, because I can be a little word vomity, improv helped me realize I wanted to be a writer.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, Yeah, you know. The writing that I have enjoyed has always been writing with a partner, never writing alone. And I've always been sort of a team player. I you know, for my gambling career, I worked always with at least one partner and often more. And the same thing in the in writing and anything in my life. You know, I want to be working with other people. Yeah, same, Where did the stand up comedy come in?
Speaker 2: So when I was doing improv, I got I sometimes got a little to do improv. You have to get your crew together. You have to make sure everyone's there. Schedules are so hard to line up. And then I did my one woman show and I had so many people come up to me and say you should do stand up, and so then I started to do stand up because you can just go to open mics on your own. You don't need to schedule with anyone, although I did. You and I are the same. I love having a bud. My friend Carmen would go to open mics with me until she moved to New York for another job and left me. But yeah, I just had so many people say you'd be really good at stand up, and so I started to do it, and I really loved it. The only reason I stopped was the grind. I didn't want to be up at one am doing shows. I was tired. I was so tired. But again it's something I'll go back to at some point too, because I love it. It was so fun.
Speaker 1: You know, it seems like here in Las Vegas there is an open night open mic every single night of the week. Somewhere.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I assume La is the same way, yeah.
Speaker 2: And different, like there's some that start at five pm all the way to but you know, as you know, Los Angeles is a driving city, and so you would have one open mic and have to drive twenty minutes to the next open mic. And it was that was the other part of the grind late nights, but also having to be in your car. But in New York you just hop on the train. It's so much easier. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you get into the writer's room as an assistant to one of the writers on what was the name of the show.
Speaker 2: Again, inventing Anna. It's about that grifter who stole a lot of money from banks and hotels and.
Speaker 1: Oh, based on the true story, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah and Adelie yeah an adelv yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah okay, and and so then was there was that a grind until you actually got into a room as as a writer as opposed to an assistant.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was. I've I feel like the common theme of all the things I've done are it is a grind and the path I took from assistant to writer. I'm sure you know this too from being in LA that is so rare. One percent of people go from assistant to writer. It is a hard It's hard to find an assistant job. It is almost impossible nowadays. It's something that is word of mouth. No one posted posts it on any job listing or anything. But yeah, I had to work really, really really hard. I had to kind of be available around the had to I had to always like read scripts and have notes ready and have like feedback ready for my boss. And even when you're in a bad mood, you have to like put on a face.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's because the industry is a lot of do when people are hiring an assistant, are you talented? Like kay? Can you write? And also a big one is do will I be able to hang out with you for the entire week? Are you someone that I'll mesh with? And so you never want to be a debbie downer or you know, it's hard because everyone has bad days, but I really had to kind of hide how much it was affecting me. All of the grind in the work. It was tough. It was really tough.
Speaker 1: You weren't still trying to work another job at the same time right once you were.
Speaker 2: No. I was lucky because my brother had a thriving mobile game business at the time, so I was able to work for him a little bit because assistant jobs pay nothing, but I was able to work for him, and the assistant job and working for your brother is a lot easier than yeah, having a full time a full time gig for a company. So yeah, I did. I didn't have to. I didn't have to do the whole graveyard shift thing that I was doing when I first moved to La Think. God, yeah, I don't know. If i'd made I would have made it out.
Speaker 1: So what was your first shot then of actually writing something? I mean, you don't just immediately get hired as a writer. You they ask you to do a script, right or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Shondaland is really great about nurturing talent for assistant So one of the first steps you have at Shondaland is once you're a writer's assistant. You're allowed to pitch in the room. Now, you're not supposed to pitch too much. You can't pitch more than the writers. You can't overtalk. It's like being at a party and being in a circle and one person is like monopolizing the conversation. That's a no, no, you can't ever do that. So you have to find your time and you know, be a problem solver, find a pitch that if the writers are like, like, how, you know, how do we get this character this on this yacht because they're all the way in Kentucky and we got to get them to this to the ocean, how like? And then you're the person that's like, hey, just hop them on an airplane, fly them to the you know, you just have to find a solution. And then everyone's like, oh my gosh, amazing, why didn't we think of that? And then you look like a hero. So you start with pitching a little bit. And then at shondaland sometimes they'll assign scenes scene work to the assistant. Not every assistant, but if you're the writer's assistant, and that's the way that they can read your work, give you notes. Sometimes a couple of things might stay on the screen when it finally gets there, which is very cool. And then when I was I went from writer's assistant to researcher because Shondaland is another like Aaron Sorkin, a couple of these production cup to you have a researcher on the show, and so on Bridgerton, I was a researcher and that's when I was allowed to write an episode with one of the writers. And that was an amazing experience and one that when you're finally able to do it, you either love it or you hate it, and luckily I loved it. You know, you have to have these experiences to know if you actually want to pursue the career. But I was able to run the room, be in charge of like what went on the board. It was so exciting and so fun.
Speaker 1: Wait, so that was just for the one episode that you were co writing.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, so that was season four.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I didn't realize there was a whole room for each individual episode.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, what was your question?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, so yeah, explain So first of all, on Bridgerton. So, for any of the listeners who don't know, Bridgerton is a period drama and So first let's start with what did the research involved?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Sure, like what can we would this be anachronistic if we did this? Is that kind of stuff?
Speaker 2: Or yeah, yeah pretty much that. I mean I came on season three, so a lot of the initial research had been done, so my job was very easy. But yeah, it's if the writers are like one episode, we had a hot air balloon and they were like, did hot air balloons exist? What? How did they look different than today? Or like when when people went swimming during that period, like what were their swimsuits looked like? Like what did they wear in the water. So it's a lot of like they come up with ideas for the episode, and then it's like did this exist? Can we put this in? Is there some kind of wiggle room where we can make it realistic even though it kind of didn't exist yet? So yeah, a lot of the research is, hey, we this cool idea. Can you go see if if it exists?
Speaker 1: Got it? And so okay, so now they give you an assign that you're going to co write an episode. What happens at that point, Well, first I cried. I went home and I cried and I called all my friends and then for that, I was episoder. So in general, the writer's room, you get together and you're blue sky what they call blue sky, which is everyone's kind of like throwing spaghetti at the wall pie in the sky ideas. We talk about the season that just happened, We talk about where all the characters ended, and then we we kind of like dream like, what would we want this character to do? What are some arcs that like we really want to see them pursue this season? So you come up with a ton of ideas, and then the showrunner narrows it down and we have go through each episodes. We've eight episodes, and we go there's usually the lead couple that is the rom Commas based on, and so we talk about their a story from the first episode to the last episode, and we as a group decide where the story is going to fall in each of those episodes. And so by the time I'm writing my episode, I kind of already know the tent poles, the beginning, middle, and end of what's going to happen. But then our job when it's our episode. They've done one, two, three, and four, those writers are off writing the episode. It's our turn.
Speaker 2: We show up with the outline of filling in all the gaps that we haven't talked about as a group, and then that gets the writer, other writers give notes on it, it gets approved, and then at a certain point then we go off to script and write it and then bring it back to the room for notes. So it's it's it's pretty basic. But the best part is the collaboration at the beginning, where it's like, where can this season go and what's what cool crazy ideas can we come up with?
Speaker 1: And and so are you now on staff or was that like a one off or what what happened at that then?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was that was when I was an assistant, and then I was asked to be on staff the next season, which they're filming right now, and then I will go back to the next season after they're done. They're done filming in I think we're starting in August or September. Maybe not, still up in the air, but yeah, so technically now I'm on staff and I can breathe a little bit. The hard work is done and I can finally just sit back and breathe.
Speaker 1: So for writers, I know, the big issue of the day that has many people very worried is the whole AI thing and how is that affecting you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question. I mean everyone, I don't know one writer that is pro AI. Yeah, I'm sure they exist, just like the people during the strike that you know, jobs and they're not supposed to take. But we've had conversations about it in the room about like do people use it to brainstorm or not? And for the most part, I think all of us are just avoiding it. And then you know, the Writer's Guild, there's a lot of committees with writers that are much more involved and smarter than I that are yeah, fighting really like making sure they're on top of the legislation and making sure it's not infiltrating our industry too much. But we're you know, we're trying.
Speaker 1: So another thing is, now, I've been away from Hollywood for quite a while now, but if you're a writer on the network show you know, CBS, NBC, ABC, you basically if you've got a few years of that, you could be set for life. And streaming was nowhere close. I mean, it was pretty pretty bad, and I know the Writer's Guild has been fighting that for a long long time and now streaming is actually bigger than the networks, but the pay is still nowhere close, am I right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's getting a little bit better. And with the current the strike that just happened, it finally got approved that streaming you'd get residuals, because for a long time you'd work on a Netflix show or HBO or something and you wouldn't get any residuals. So it was like the PAYI wasn't as good. And then you also there wasn't like any kind of paycheck in the future as your episodes were being watched by millions of people. Network I don't know if it's as good as it was. That's something that like I feel like I got to educate myself a little bit better about because for such a long time, I was like, I just really want to get the job. And now you know, you have to be more aware of like what the pay structures are. But yeah, yeah, in the beginning, you just exactly you don't care what the money is. You just want the job. Yeah, exactly, exactly, but it is you know, you have to inform your but but I'll tell you, the dreaming has gotten better. But there's a lot of room for growth. But you know, as you know, a lot of those companies they penny pinch and they they want the cheapest, the cheapest route and the cheapest writer. And that's unfortunate. But that's that's a tale as old as time. You know, big companies they just that's that's their goal is to save money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and while at the same time they waste so much money and it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've got thoughts on that that I won't say on the podcast, but I'll tell you off the podcast. I've got many thoughts, many things I've seen of a lot of waste.
Speaker 1: But you know, I you know, I had I had a friend that I used to work with in film and his dad was a producer of you know, big shows back in this early in the seventies, you know, shows that we all would have watched when we kids or whatever. And he said, you know, whenever my mom wanted to remodel the house, he would just arrange for scenes to be shot in our house and then he would direct the art department how to remodel them house.
Speaker 2: Now that's an advantage player move if I've ever heard of. Yeah, that's really smart.
Speaker 1: So so you have these long hiatus. Do writers take other shows that are when their main show is off on hiatus?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean right now. The industry is tough and jobs are far and few between. But that's why networking is so important in the injury, because you'll often hear about jobs through through your friends and through people you've worked with. Even like I'm a lower level writer, even higher level writers, their agent will say, hey, this this room is about to start. Do you know anyone in the room that can can vouch for you? So it's like, like we said, agents and managers, they don't do a ton. They do some stuff, but it is really like who you know? So yeah, some of the writers in my room, they hopped on some other stuff. The there was a legally Blonde TV show that happened, and my friend worked on that. But for me, when I got my I I had worked so hard. I was so burnt out that I kind of was like I don't want to I mean, yes, I want to work and I want other jobs, but I really was like, I think I'm gonna take a big break. I needed it. I was so burnt out, so burnt out, it was so like it drains you because even when I was an assistant, I hopped on other shows as a writer's assistant. I worked on the show Physical, there was a reboot of The L Word I helped on, and it's just you just go, go, go constantly. But yeah, right now, the industry is a bit hard. Yeah, get hard.
Speaker 1: And the agents and managers base only want you when you don't need them anymore. Oh yeah no, I mean maybe they could negotiate you a better contract or something, but basically in my experience was I already got the job. Now they want to Now they want to represent me, so they can just take their peace, you know what I mean. Yeah, so yeah, it was a really awful part of the business.
Speaker 3: Oh it is.
Speaker 2: But you know, one of my friends, I've learned so much from her. She was an assistant as well, but she was an assistant before me, so she's always one step ahead, and I was able to kind of see, like, how is she doing it? What can I learn from? And when she got staffed, she got reps and she said, hey, I got I got staffed on my own. You're not getting any of this money. And the reps were like yeah, okay, Like we'll wait till the next job you get. But I was like wow, old yeah. And some people again we go back, going back to like operating by fear of just like I need a rep, so I'll give them anything or all. You know, I'm going to prove to them that I'm worthy. I had this cool friend that was like, I'm worthy, and you're not getting any of this money I worked for, and I will if you find me something, you can have a piece of it. But that's another thing about networking is you learn from each other. Yeah yeah, yeah, huge, huge part of it. Huge.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My sort of general operating principles when I'm trying to learn something is first go read everything I can on it, and then go find people who are already very good at it and try to learn as much from them as they will allow.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: In La.
Speaker 2: A lot of my friends joke and call me the coffee Queen because I'll just ask people to go to coffee to ask some questions and I basically what you're saying, it's like I don't know everything, Like, yeah, can I ask for advice?
Speaker 1: Yep, yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My attitude was always I'm always willing to take the meeting. I will go have a meeting with anybody, and ninety nine percent of them turn into nothing.
Speaker 2: But you just never know what you know, Yeah, and sometimes it's just a really fun conversation. I think the way I treat networking is never what could you do for me? I've always like really prided myself in that of because it's happened to me. I've been at a party where I'm talking to someone and then they realize I can't I don't have a cool job, or I couldn't do anything for them, and then they look over my head to scare, oh, oh that's a chip on my shoulder. And I remember being like, I'll never do that to anybody. But the way I network, and it sounds like you're the same way is I go in like wanting to make a friend and having a great conversation, yeah, and yeah, maybe it doesn't lead to anything. And then now with the writing, I really want to demystify the industry, and so I told myself that if anyone ever asks me to coffee to pick my brain about it, I always say yes. I had a girl find me on LinkedIn and she was like, you've worked on all these shows as a writer's assistant, can I take you to coffee? Which when you're a writer, it's you never let anyone get you coffee. You always get the person who doesn't have the job coffee. It's a it's a nice thing where it's like, oh, I have I've have this, like a I have this cool job and I can afford it. Let me buy you coffee even though you've offered it to me. But yeah, I will, even at this podcast, if people want to reach out to me, I will always take that meeting and and give them any information.
Speaker 1: I have perfect segue. So if people want to get a hold of you, what is the best way.
Speaker 2: My email? My email's good or my my instagram is at Liz Reichel, which is l I z R e I c h E l T. Or my email is very similar, it's e R E I c h E l T twenty three at gmail dot com. Sometimes I'm bad at respons quickly, but I always respond. I always write to respond.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, And just any advice for those want to be writers out there before we go.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course, write a lot. People can't take that away from you. Try to write as much as you can. If people try to, you know, say that your perspective or your point of view is wrong. They're wrong. So right, the things you want to write, the genres you want to write, and really find a network of people that you can have writer meetings with, like where you can share work, people you can vent with, people you can go go watch a movie with and analyze it with. So write a lot and find a community. Great.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a question I ask all my guests before we leave, and that is favorite restaurant in Las Vegas that is not in a case.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that's hard because my brain just went to a Malfie in Caesar's because I'm obsessed with it. Okay, okay, okay, you might have to edit out this pause. Where have I been? Oh, you know, there's a lot of really good Hawaiian barbecue here. I think there's one called Mobetta's, and I order a lot from it. It is cheap, it's so good. The chicken. Yeah, it's any Hawaiian barbecue, but that one I ordered from a lot?
Speaker 1: Uh huh, Okay, I will This question is completely selfish because I'm always looking for new places to go eat.
Speaker 2: So oh, and and the pizza place that you and I went to that was a recommendation. I forget the name of it.
Speaker 1: That's oh, a more taste of Chicago.
Speaker 2: No, not that it was. Wasn't it something zero? It was in Chinatown?
Speaker 1: Oh oh yes, yes, yes that yeah, I think it was called Pizza zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that thing from a friend of ours recommended it. But that pizza place was so great. Yeah. And then Mobeta is if you want Hawaiian barbecue, it's very good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I'm going to thank you for doing this and and that's it. Any final thoughts.
Speaker 2: This was so fun, Thank you for having me on it. And everyone should listen to this podcast.
Speaker 1: Well if they heard you say that, they already are so exactly in that case, recommended to a friend.
Speaker 2: The recommend it to a friend. Even your dentist, your therapist, recommended to somebody.
Speaker 1: There you go, all right, we'll see you next time, everybody.
Speaker 2: Free audio post production by alphonic dot Com.