Speaker 1: The bizarre part of Schindler's list is as Stanley Kubrick said, only Steven could make a movie at the Holocaust that has a happy ending.
Speaker 2: He got a funny joke for it. What about the other colla?
Speaker 1: He was a little older. You know, you look like the Marlboro man. Oh yeah, but maybe I'm saying that, you know, because he smoked a lot of Marlborough's.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, like a subconscious type of thing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that can happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hey, they said they were going to the Twin Cities.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. Is that useful to you?
Speaker 3: Oh you betcha? Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Well it's the middle of August, It's the middle of the Democratic Convention, and it's glop culture. I'm John pon Horts in New York with Rob Long also in New York, Hi Rob, Hi, John, and Jonah Goldberg in Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: Hi, Joe, Uh hey, John? How are you?
Speaker 1: I am? I am ready to take the field with coach Walls. I'm inspired. I'm going to start a gay club that he can be the faculty advisor of. I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Mow out of town.
Speaker 4: The Federalist is just going to quote John Fodor saying I'm going to start a gay club.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to mow his lawn when he's out of town. And I'm going to ignore the fact that for the last eighteen years I've been a working politician, because that's of no interest to anybody when it comes to politics. As the vice president of the United States, I will be America's best small town assistant coach.
Speaker 2: Ever. Well, actually it's a pretty good definition of vice president.
Speaker 1: By the way, Well, you know you got to point there.
Speaker 2: I mean, he might have cracked the code. What do what should you be doing a vice the United States? You should be coaching Little League or something, or you know, be as faculty advisor to some high school club.
Speaker 4: Hey, by the way, since you mentioned vice president, this is something John and I both talked about back during the Bearisma. I No, this's not on here. It's like either a commentary or text or whatever. But like, so you guys like talk to when I'm not around.
Speaker 2: Lives outside of this podcast. And didn't we invite you?
Speaker 1: Didn't you know we had.
Speaker 2: I didn't get ye. Remember we were talking about on the bat do you have.
Speaker 1: What do you guys?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: Wait, wait you guys, but I oh, I meant meant to. I think it went to your junk like junk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a kick in the junk what it is club that John started.
Speaker 4: We were talking about how like these guys in Coazakhstan or wherever they kept thinking. They kept talking as if and so did all of the Republicans trying to get the goods on Biden talking about the vice president being the second most powerful politician in America.
Speaker 1: Had the scam, right, that's right, I heard a scam of the Biden crime family. Right, is that they seduced morons outside the borders of the United States, and the thinking that the vice president States had any power. It was like I have my brother ten million dollars. Sure, oh, here you go, here's ten million dollars.
Speaker 2: But we are very lucky we have the vice president of the United States in our pocket.
Speaker 4: I've been hearing this about uh Kamala Harris all week from like various sort of slate queen boosters. She's the second most powerful person in America, and it's like she's not even the.
Speaker 1: Twentieth most powerful person in America. That's what's interesting. No, it's it's like in every cabinet secretary has more power than the vice president of the United States.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: Also, it's not to get to encroach too far into commentary territory. But Schumer this week did that thing again where he talked about himself being the highest ranking Jew in American history.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just the.
Speaker 4: Way he says it, like, yeah, like he broke he was elected, he was he.
Speaker 1: Of the of Like he's elected by twenty six people.
Speaker 2: Basically he's also he also says it, just which is.
Speaker 1: More than elected than elected Kamala Harris has had more votes cast for him in the caucus of the Senate than Kamala Harris as yet had cast for her in a presidential bid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the cent a majority leader is not a constitutional position, you know, like, uh, it's not in the line of succession for the president. It's just this like who says that the governor of Pennsylvania isn't a more powerful sure politician or the governor of Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for that matter, I do.
Speaker 2: Like it's the highest ranking Wow, that's you know, you know I talk about Lemons lemonade.
Speaker 1: All right, can I just read you something from the Times of Israel last night? This is so, of course, as we're talking. There's still this fantasy that there's going to be some kind of a ceasefire hostage deal that is not going to happen, which has basically been pushed by the Biden White House and base. What Israel has done in responses to go, sure, sure, whatever you say, Sure we agree, we agree with you. Let's make a deal, right, because of course Hamas is not going to agree to anything. But here is the lead of the Times of Israel story. Prime Minister Benjamin Anaho spoke with US President Joe Biden by phone on Wednesday's efforts to reach a hostage shield floundered after recent optimism that breakthrough was in the work. So remember that the reason that we had this optimism is that, among other things, Joe Biden, in his speech on Monday night, said I wrote a peace treaty, which you know is like what he write the Treaty of Ghent. I mean, I know he's old enough to have written the Treaty of Ghent, but I mean he wrote a peace treaty. Anyway, here's the second paragraph. Vice President Kamala Harris, the Democratic presidential candidate, also joined the call. According to the White House, During the call, Biden quote stressed the urgency of bringing the ceasefire and hostage release deal to closure and discussed up Timington, Cox and Cairo to remove any remaining obstacle. The White House said in a readout of the conversation, So why am I this up? Because Biden is on some bullshit call with Nett Yellow and she's saying we got to steal done, and Bibie's going okay, and Kamala Harris is on the phone going we must be unburdened by what has been and being again said what is done? Because they're just trying to say, okay, you know what, she's on the call. She matters, She's really really important to this here.
Speaker 2: It's always the problem with the vice president running.
Speaker 1: You know who wasn't on the call, Kamala Harris. I would wager money Kamala Harris was not on the call. The way when you listen to the convention, then I'll stop ranting. The way you listen to the convention. It's like I've known Kamala Harris for twenty years, my friend Tim Walls, and you know that most of these people have literally never met each other. They're like doing the duet with Frank Sinatra where they're in the other studio singing the duet with Frank Sinatra, who was like lying on a gurney because he is basically near death. They don't know Kamala Harris. They don't know.
Speaker 2: They were at a conference with her once. That's usually what it is. I've been friends with her since the Democratic Attorney General's Association meeting that I had a twenty minute speech I gave and then left. We both waited for the same elevator. Yeah, yeah, And I was angry because I didn't know who she was and why was the elevator not just for me.
Speaker 1: I've told you, I told you, Yeah, I told you as a kid that I got trapped at an elevator with Art Carney, didn't I And I told this story.
Speaker 2: I can hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My friend Michael lived in the same building as Art Carney in the elevator. He got in the elevator. It was ten thirty in the morning. It was like Christmas vacation. The elevator broke down. Arc Corney was in the elevator. Don't worry, boys, Everything's gonna be fine. And he was reeking of gin like at ten thirty in the morning. So it's kind of sad. It's like that. It's like, oh, then then I could then accept our Carney's oscar. That's what this is like. It's like my friend Carneys asked me.
Speaker 2: A lovely man.
Speaker 1: Yes, I feel that way.
Speaker 2: I feel that way. That two I had two encounters and two people I don't really know. I mean, uh, Jennifer Aniston and Jake Jillenhall. These are separate encounters. But in both cases, I was waiting outside of a restaurant. Jake Jillenhall story I think I might have told you already is actually quite sweet. Is outside of the restaurant in Malibu with my dog. We had just been going to beach and so that I think it was heat that I know she go the dog. I was wet and kind of you know, and I was getting a muffin and coffee, and Jennifer Aniston came up and said, oh my god, your dog's beautiful. And I said, oh, don't careful because if you get too close, she's gonna shake, and she's covered in sand and seawater. And then Jennifer and said, I don't care. And then she went up to my dog and she was wasty to my dog. That was our full, full, real personal encounter which I Ranison, who I now, by the way.
Speaker 1: Is one of your closest friends.
Speaker 2: Love and adoor and I will I mean she she really could do anything. And I'd say, let taste. Let me tell you a story about Jennifer and Aison you may not know, and then I'll tell them that. So you know, that's that's how it happens. That is that's how it's supposed to work. You know. The small I had a friend who worked was an intern is a million billion years ago for Senator Alan Cranston, who was the Center from California for many years. Apparently truly a loathsome character, but whatever. And his his job as an internet was Kranton was giving a speech somewhere at one of these DC ballrooms and he's get to give the speech and then he had to go, and the elevator was in the back of the room, right, so the elevator opened up the ballroom. And his only job, my friend's only job was at this point in the speech, you need to press for the elevator and you need to hold the elevator here because at the end of the speech, the senator is going to walk down from the ballroom, shake hands and then get in the elevator and go. What you don't want is for him to wait at the back of the room after the applause, awkwardly waiting to leave the room. So you just got a whole the elevator, which he forgot to do. And so Grantson gave the speech and there was applause, and it is the great and he made his way down the aisle and he said he saw then he saw on the senator's face that there was a problem, which was that there was no elevator there, and he began frantically pressing the down button, you know, like, and then there was that awkward five minutes of course, where he the intern in Cranston stood at the back of the ballroom. As the person said, well we like to thank Senator Cranston for the wonderful speech. To thank you again, Senator Cranston, everybody took turned around quietly and then kind of waved and smattering of applause. It was great. So I don't know, I don't know how that was relevant, but it's made me think what.
Speaker 1: Horrible passive encounter of you had with somebody that is incredibly memorable.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're going to go there a good green room, have about.
Speaker 1: A good green room?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I have a good elevator story, which.
Speaker 1: Well, so this will be the third elevator story.
Speaker 4: Yeah so, which is one of the most underappreciated Cold War thrillers, the third Elevator. But the it's not about me, but Alan Keys, Like we I love stories about bad bosses. I'm kind of just certain kinds of stories I love. I love stories about people who are terrible clients for their lawyers. I always get entertained by that. And I love stories of just really horrible self involved bosses. And uh, this is a now thirty year old story. But back in the days of what was it National Empowerment Television whatever, I think Alan Keys had a show there.
Speaker 2: It was one of those things.
Speaker 4: And he and an intern are getting on an elevator and Keys goes in first because he's Alan Keys, and he's standing by the button panel in the elevator and the intern is in the far corner of the elevator and Keys turns to the intern and says that button's not going to press itself because it was the kids job to press the lobby button in the elevator, and he couldn't be bothered even though he was closer to it.
Speaker 2: It's weird, though, that I sided with Alan Key. It's a little weird.
Speaker 1: It's because you, Okay, that is an amazing That is an amazing story. I I bad boss stories are are in fact, utterly, utterly fantastic the best.
Speaker 4: I have so many John McLaughlin stories, but I don't feel like it's my face to trap victim because of what didn't happen to me. And I have plenty about Robert stories. But Ben wasn't.
Speaker 1: It was he was.
Speaker 2: He was not a great boss, but he wasn't that kind of boss.
Speaker 1: It wasn't maligned right yeah right yeah, something in a bad place necessarily. Yeah. So, uh, this is a so I made fun of Tim Walls. Here's what I was thinking, Tim Walls. Coach Walls. You know, he had the he had the the ex linebackers behind him at the stage and so wonderful and he was their coach and all of that. So a friend of mine, who was a successful comedian, text me and said, when did it become the case that we were supposed to stop hating the high school football coach. Every nerdy person in America hates the high school football coach John Goodman in the nerds, right? Is the high school foot is the college football coach who kicks the nerds there dorm right? I say it's probably Kyle Chandler in Friday Night Lights.
Speaker 2: I think that's what That's what I would say, Yeah, maybe, yeah, okay, But it is interesting because he's such a I mean there's I mean, I would I would love to get I mean, they didn't have them. If there are any transcripts of those meetings where the football coach was sort of asking inappropriately awkward questions to the gay kids, So let me ask you a question, Well, which you want to use the girlfriend? Which you want to use the boyfriend? I just come, I want to know. I just know. It was like, you know, just trying to be an ally in this weird awkwardness. So if you worth hearing, so.
Speaker 4: I am my peeve and I may write about this, so whatever. But Waltz has this thing. He's now said it five thousand times. It's clearly his stump speech thing, and it clearly polls. Well blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 4: I don't even disagree with it on the merits. I just think it's not actually true of his governing style. But he said night in Minnesota, we have a golden rule. Mind your own damn business. Now, if I was going to list the states where that frame where, like if you did a blind test and you say, okay, what state has an unofficial model mind your own damn business? You might say New Hampshire, you know, live for your die, might say Wyoming or Texas, Vermont. You would not say Minnesota. Right, that's the land of passive aggressive.
Speaker 1: Boy.
Speaker 2: You got a lot of.
Speaker 4: Groceries there, eh, you having a party?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like That's the thing about Minnesota is like it's again, I am trafficking in stereotypes.
Speaker 2: I've heard from people to as, you're.
Speaker 1: Not trafficking in Minnesota and Wisconsin have a call to call themselves. Historically the two most progressive states yeah in the country in the twentieth century, like the Progressive movement, the Progressive Party was a party in Wisconsin. Robert LaFollette the Progressive candidate for the Wisconsin's president right and Minnesota was dominated for the first eighty years of the twentieth century by a party called the Democrat Farmer Labor Party that was the most left wing state party. Yeah. Culture, I don't even know you believe mine's I know, culturally, I mean.
Speaker 4: Like Scandinavians, like in Sweden. I believe it's still the case. You can look up anybody's tax return on the web. You can find out what your neighbor's made.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: It is just a cultural thing to be in each other's business, and it's just not like mind your own damn business. Is just not a Minnesota model?
Speaker 1: Is that using the word damn? Look I am I am half Minnesotan. My mother was a Minnesotan. My mother's family's from Minnesota.
Speaker 2: You can tell you have that you kind of a buncular folks neighborliness, your fondness, lyrificentater tots gave it away.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, I say, I say Tennis Shua's and I say, Pap, would you like some pop? Aren't twotoned? I'd be really happy.
Speaker 2: We know you just moved in here to the to the co op on the upper west side, but the padorance is down the hall. We're having a kind of a coffee cake thing. We'd love to have you join us.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and you know what they don't do. What my family didn't do was curse. They did not see mind your own DM business. That all that sounds? So there? I that is the accent. What are you talking about? I'm not watching Fargo. That was the accent that my mother strangled out of her body.
Speaker 2: You got you very Fargo Fargo.
Speaker 1: I was always very upset and my sister Ruthie, who doesn't even better Minnesota, acts very upset that Fargo came along because we were the possessors of America's greatest Minnesota accents. And then the Cohen brothers from the Twin Cities came along and made that a cultural phenomenon and ruined our bit. It was like my bit I could slay with a Minnesota accent, and then Francis McDorman and they all accents, total sleigh. And yet then it became like, oh, you just saw Fargo.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, well that does happen.
Speaker 1: That was my bit and they stole it, and I'm still bitter. It's like thirty years later and I'm still bitter.
Speaker 2: Alrighty then already, well.
Speaker 1: Now maybe I should talk about Shopify.
Speaker 2: Sure, well, yeah, since you're already into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to talk about point of sale rab Okay. Look, what's something that works so well that it is basically magic? You know, air conditioning, noise canceling headphones. What about selling with Shopify, the global commerce platform that helps you sell at every stage of your business, from launch your online shop stage to the first real life store stage, all the way to the did we just hit a million order stage? Shopify is there to help you grow. Whether you're selling scented soap or offering outdoor outfits. Shopify helps you sell everywhere, from their all in one e commerce platform to their in person point of sale system. Wherever and wherever you're selling, Shopify's got you covered. It helps you turn browsers into buyers with the internet's best converting checkout thirty six percent better on average compared to other leading commerce platforms, and sell more with less effort thanks to shopify Magic, your AI powered all star. Shopify powers ten percent of all e commerce in the United States and shopifies the global force behind All Birds, Rothy's, and Brooklynen millions of other entrepreneurs of every size across one hundred and seventy five countries because businesses that grow grow with Shopify. Sign up for a one dollar per month trial period at shopify dot com slash glop all lower case. Go to shopify dot com slash glop all lowercase golp now to grow your business no matter how what stage you're in shopify dot com slash clop And we think Shopify for sponsoring the glop podcast.
Speaker 2: How come about? How do we not talk about the roll call vote?
Speaker 1: The roll call?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I thought all.
Speaker 1: The states it was great. Was the best, was the best moment, and I think in a convention that was Tuesday night the best moment maybe ever at a political convention in terms of the when they want to entertain you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, was there the recreation or I actually say the reinvigoration of that thing which I've always loved. The whole point of the conventions is the roll call vote, because every state gets to like wear a funny hat, and Idaho the Potato state, and it's always great, and so they kind of like they kind of adjusted it. I actually, I mean I even say this about the r n C. Was that after a year of the COVID I mean or one cycle of those terrible COVID conventions which didn't work and didn't seem you know, just seemed sad. It was nice how easily everybody got back into the idea of like a big, old, splashy convention. And I think the great news about the innovations I think at the DNC, which are two big ones. One is part and parcel is that role call, which is that each one of those role calls was a separate cool thing that you can then clip and play and aim directly at people in that state the way you. Nobody ever thought of the conventions as a collection of bits and skits and sketches that will then be replayed in little tiny snippets over and over again across media. So that and that actually was really good too. They put some time and effort into it. I mean that Georgia one's going to get replayed and replayed and played, and george is an important state. Do we know what the hell happened to Tony Evers?
Speaker 1: I was just about to say that was a very That's the one thing that got really alarming was that Tony Evers, the governor of Wisconsin, Yeah, had to read this and he it was like he was having a Tia. I mean that's what. At first, you and I both had the same impulse Jonah, which was to think that he was drunk. But it went on for like a minute, and it was like he went like, oh God, because he had all he had to say was like Kamala Harris, I think, and he couldn't get it out. And I mean, I haven't seen like the Wisconsin Press or something. But that's always the problem when you have sixty people speaking. One is you could have a moment where something bad happens and like you know, somebody passes out or throws up. And that was kind of as close to it as possible. And fortunately for the convention it happened almost at the very end, since Wisconsin as a w If it had been like American Samoa and someone had seemed to be having a stroke on stage, it would have cast a Paul over the rest of the stroke.
Speaker 2: I just thought he just he just for one second blank on our name.
Speaker 1: But it went on. It was like Rick Rick Perry quality, and he went, Oh God. And then some guy would say you can do it, Tony, you can do.
Speaker 4: It, Tony, and he said to that guy, I'll get there. I'll get there get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was weird, but I did love the governor of New Jersey. What was it He said, We're from New Jersey and you are not.
Speaker 2: New Jersey. How do you have your vote? Everybody? I'm Governor Phil Murphy. We're from Jersey, baby, and you're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh, and we also have to acknowledge that, I think the paraphrase of Peter Suderman tweet, uh, some people have a superhuman ability to come manned an audience and really hold its attention. And some people are Kathy Hochel because she was so friggin bad. It was weird how she was worse. She was worse than the actual merits of her badness. There's something she just gives off that is let.
Speaker 1: So, Kathy Okle is the governor of New York, and she is an accidental governor of New York in this sense, which is that she was chosen by Andrew Culomo. She was a one term congressman from Buffalo. And Andrew Cuomo shows her as his I think third, either his second or his third lieutenant governor to run with him because she posed no threat to him, little knowing that he was going to have to resign because he was a uh, you know, basically a totalitarian fascist and you know, was what like No, he resigned because somebody ginned up some sexual harassment charges against him that were pretty pretty weak, but it was time for him to go. He everybody hated him by that point. He goes. Hokeel comes in and is so bad that she almost loses in twenty twenty two to Lee Zelden, a Republican in a state that has a three to one Democratic registration advantage. Zelden came in I think within four points or maybe three is close. And she is a terrible governor. She is a terrible politician, and why somebody gave her a speaking slot at all is one of the grave greatest mysteries.
Speaker 2: But they see that exist her a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, like they're just there are a half dozen people who you would want.
Speaker 1: We're women.
Speaker 4: I mean it's not nothing a demographic thing, but like there are better women in the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just terrible.
Speaker 4: I mean I know it was I thought it was just a state they're going to win, so like, I don't know they're going to win the state.
Speaker 1: And she's not up for office. She's not running until twenty twenty six. It was a really weird choice to have her that early and like having a slot she wasn't in prime time.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, well who knows. I mean I watched it. I mean I don't have a TV right now because we're moving, and so I watched everything on YouTube TV, which I'm a huge fan of. By the way, YouTube TV is the best, and you can put YouTube TV. You can have like watch four or five screens at once, and so I was watching them all and the one thing I was like, construct by not in the commentary, but the speeches, is that nobody seems to tell these people, frankly, what they should be talking about. And it's like every there's like the there's the B team, the B List, and then there's the A team. So you're not gonna tell Barack Obama or Bill Clinton or even Hillary Clinton or Michelle Obama what to say. They're gonna they get they can do big think, right, Oprah can do big think, But everybody else, everyone else is a co star. And Kathy Hochel and even Pete buddhage Edge who spoke too long and was boring. I thought, just you know what, just talk about yourself. Just tell a story about you and how you feel and what you how you come from. Make it personal, because nobody wants to hear your theories about decency and politics and America is a shining city and nobody wants to hear that from the B team. That's big thing. And I think that that's a problem with all these conventions, and everybody thinks it's their time to be you know, to write their own federalist paper, and it's just there.
Speaker 1: There are two ways to run conventions from you know, from the you know, in the back rooms. So in one of them, you have a team of writers and they are writing the speeches for everybody, and they give them the speeches and they say, you want a slot read this. You're doing the attack on Trump for being a predator, You're doing the attack on Trump for being a tax evator, you're doing the one on him being a felon. And you hand them the speech and they say, well, I want to work on it, and you're like, okay, you go work on it. We're going to give your slot to somebody else. And then they go, okay, I'll just read the speech. That's one way. The other way is that you change up the nominee three weeks before the convention, and you don't really know how you're going to do the convention because you don't know what messages are going to be carried, and so everyone basically is left find their own because no one even knows who the convention managers are going to be and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: That's fine, you mean, the general division of content should be. If you're not a star, you're not above the title. And we already know who the names are above the title. It's the nominee, it's the vice presidential nominee, their spouses, it's former presidents and their spouses period, maybe Oprah, right, everybody below the title. Just tell us who you are and be personal, because that's the only thing people want to hear from you. Most Americans don't know who Caathy Hoche You is, so they don't care what she thinks about you, know whatever. They just want to know who she is and just tell a little story, fifteen minute story about you, and that would be much better TV. As I mentioned a couple of times, I am moving, and it is one of those things that is either going to be really miserable to do. Has everybody's done it, or it's going to be really easy to do. And the way you make it easy to do is that you plan ahead and you don't put things off until the very last minute. And unfortunately that doesn't describe this process for me. So even though you know my ten general tendency to put things off works most of the time. But there is one thing in life that you really cannot afford to wait on, and that is setting up term coverage life insurance. You've probably seen life insurance commercial on TV and thought, yeah, yeah, I'll look into that later. But no, this isn't something you can wait on. You got to choose life insurance, and the best way to do that is to choose life insurance through Ladder today. Latter is one hundred percent digital, no doctors, no needles of paperwork when you apply for a three million dollar coverage or less just to answer a few questions about your health and an application. Ladders customers rate them four point eight out of five stars on trust Pilot, and they made Forbes Best Life Insurance twenty twenty one list. All you need are a few minutes and a phone or laptop to apply, or smart algorithms work in real time, so you'll find out if you're instantly approved. No hidden fees, cancel anytime, get a full refund if you change your mind in the first thirty days. And the Ladder's policies are issued by insurers with long proven histories of paying claims. They're rated A and A plus by am Best. Finally, since life insurance costs more as you age, now is the time to cross it off your list. Do it now. Go to Ladderlife dot com slash blop today to see if you're instantly approved. That's Ladder l a d d er Life All one word dot com slash blop Ladderlife dot com slash blop.
Speaker 1: So in twenty twelve, which I think was the the most the biggest failure of a convention was the Mitt Romney twenty twelve convention. First it was start, it was it was interrupted or it was delayed by day because of a hurricane, so it was shortened to three days. And then these two major things happened, and I I am now going to trash talk Stuart Stevens, the former Republican consultant who has now become a never Trumper and a Lincoln Project person and is you know, grifting money from morons who send the Lincoln Project money which they spend ninety five percent on their own salaries and five percent on some bad ad and all of that. Stuart has been for weeks, been doing The Republicans are terrible and they're doing this and how dare you say this about He's having a fight with our friend Daan mcglachla at National Review about something or other and he's like, you don't know what you're talking about it blah blah blah blah blah. So Stuart Stevens runs the twenty twelve Republican convention.
Speaker 2: He a loot.
Speaker 1: Chris Christie shows up, right, Chris Christy is the biggest star in Republican policy. He's going to be the keynotor right the first night the second night, so it ends up being the second night he delivers the speech. Apparently Chris Christy came and said, I'm going to give my own speech, and Stuart Stevens didn't say give me a copy of the speech, and Christy whatever. And then Christy delivered his speech, and if you remember, he spoke for twenty one minutes before he mentioned Romney's name. So this is this goes against rob your theory that they should just tell stories about yourself, because that's all he did was talk about himself and it was a disaster.
Speaker 2: Of course, I said, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Then of course two days later, Stuart Stephen's all excited because he's got Clint Eastwood. He got big star surprise. Clint Eastwood is going to introduce Met Romney, right Cline Eastwood's backstage. Turns out Clinea doesn't have a speech, he doesn't have a script, and Stuart is so starstruck that he couldn't say to Clint Eastwood, here's your script, or say it's really great to have you, but you were trying to get a president elected, so we need you to say this, this and this, and here is Clint Eastwood saying there is like, could you get me a chair? Get me a chair. This is two minutes before he's going on stage. He says, get me a chair, and steven says, get Clint a chair. And then Clint goes out on the stage with a chair and does that insane ten minute talking to the chair thing, and Stuart Stevens standing there, the campaign manager of the Republican candidate for president, throws up in a garbage cam because he realizes what he has done. Twelve years later, he's giving people sodden lectures about how politics really works and what's wrong with the Republican Party. Do you wonder why Trump took over the Republican Party because of that chair? That's why you and your stupid chair. Anyway, the chair, the chair bit. I maybe I knew this in forgat.
Speaker 4: Was it like a deep cut callback to like a May and Nichols thing or what was the I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think you're not you. It was more like you don't you're not here. You don't answer questions. Here's what I would ask you. I think I remember that something like that. It had an internal logic.
Speaker 1: That you he was talking to Obama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Obama, that was Obama with the chair. But the idea you like will answer these questions, that's really not a good idea.
Speaker 1: Plint. You know what you know how some of your movies are like Unforgiven, are really good. But you know you also made every which way you can and this is the every which way, but loose is good. Which way you can is not good?
Speaker 2: That is not that the problem with Plinicewood movies is not that they're good or bad, that even the good ones are a little long. That he's just he is a As he gets older, he has less of a pace. That's that's anyway. I'm done any which way you can.
Speaker 1: Was made in the early eighties, so the early he would always anyway like, no, I'm sorry, you don't get to do whatever you want to at a political where the stakes are the highest and could possible. Least, he didn't.
Speaker 2: Insist on bringing Sandra Locke up on stage with him.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, make my day.
Speaker 2: Now, she's really good. You haven't seen what you can do.
Speaker 4: All right, we should talk about something other than conventions. In the little time we have left.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Barisma. Can I tell you a weird story about Barisma? Because it's that, you know that company that weird shaded rob story about this? Is this the intro to an ad from Barisma? Yeah? Sure? So Hey, Hey gang, I know you're you looking for millions of cubits of natural natural natural gas drilling bits do block it's it's your natural your natural gas equipment solution promo code bloped to get four more barrels of drill grease. I uh, I had a pen in my house that I picked up somewhere a pen, sort of a nice pan. It's like a Parker pen, and it's a weird kind of tip. It's like a felt tippy thing, but it looks like a like a fountain pen. And I don't have it. And I was like, oh, it's out of ink, and I like pulled the thing out. I couldn't. I didn't have it. I didn't have a replacement for this weird ding. I never seen anything like that before. So I took it to the station store across the street and I said, you guys have a thing for this pen, and this is what it looks like. We would go, oh, yeah, yeah, it's the Parker five or something. I don't and they found one. And as he's putting in the pen, I realized that the pen has a it's like from somewhere and has writing on it and it's from the and it says uh uh National board meeting or Global board meeting, Barismo Cypress and then has the name of the CEO of Barismo, whose name I forget on it. And I have that pen and I don't know. I'm pretty sure I was never at the board. The board Bearisma board meeting in Cypress. But I have if you are that, if you are the dorm war, maybe if you're yeah, if you're looking for the pen, if you're listening.
Speaker 1: Maybe has Jim Jordan's has just.
Speaker 4: Mayor maybe it needed a new ink cartridge because Hunter had unscrewed it so he could use it as a straw cocaine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or he's just was snorting. You know. It's like for all, you know, the way the way people used to drink robotussin to get high. Maybe ink, maybe in the ink can give you a kick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that that was I had a cousin, a Minnesota cousin. My Minnesota cousin used to drink robotussin three. He would invite my sisters who were like, oh, you want to you want to have fun, Let's have some Robotussin. I'm not kidding.
Speaker 4: That's a nice Ironically, Ironically, when you gave him a hard time about it, what did he say, mind your own damn business?
Speaker 2: Then he did swear.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, uh. You know, we're supposed to talk about pop culture, but I think, Bob, I think you need to do you need to talk about athletic greens or something.
Speaker 2: I should say speaking of under Biden, but I won't because I'm really this is not really a product for that. But you know, as you know, I am moving house. I'm moving to Prince of New Jersey all places, and it's kind of stressful. So but the place is empty. So last night I went out and had dinner with a friend of mine and I did have a little too much wine because I'm starting to feel a little bit melancholy about leaving Manhattan. But I have to tell you about this game changing product I used before night out with drinks. It's called z biotics pre alcohol. So you know, look, let's be honest, after a night with drinks, gentlemen of my age, I don't bounce back the next day like I used to. So I have make a choice. You can need to have a great night or a great next day. But let me tell you there's a sure fire away to wake up feeling fresh after a night of drinking, and it's with z biotics pre alcohol. Pre alcohol is the world's first genetic the engineered probiotic. It was invented by PhD scientists to tackle rough mornings after drinking, and here's how it works When you drink, alcohol gets converted into a toxic byproduct in the gut, and it's this byproduct. It's not dehydration, you know, on your dehydrate or whatever that's the blame for you for your rough next day. It's this byproduct in your gut. And pre alcohol produces an enzyme to break this byproduct down. So if you remember, just make z biotics your first drink of the night and drink responsibly and you'll feel your best tomorrow. And so I do that. The one thing I still have in my place here with a bag. I have a bag and it includes my prebiotics is that everything else in it? And before I went out for dinner around the corner at a lovely ferry. We should talk about this kind of restaurant. At some point.
Speaker 1: I did it.
Speaker 2: I drank it, and this morning I popped right up. I felt great. So I am a huge, huge not only a fan, but also happy users. Weddings, birthdays, reunions. There is so much going on, like moving, get the most out of your spring plant your bottom plans by stocking up on pre alcohol now. Go to z biotics dot com slash glop get fifteen percent off your first order where you use glop at checkout. Pre alcohol is back with one hundred percent money back guarantee, which is awesome. So if you're unsatisfied for any reason, they refund your money. No questions asked. Just head to z biotics z's the letter, z biotics dot com, slash glop. Use the code glop at checkout you get fifteen percent off. We thank z biotics for sponsoring glop. They have sponsored us for a while. They are a great sponsor, great product. They also sponsor our Good Nights Out. All right, you had a pop culture topic. I don't have a pop culture topic. Okay, so this I may be, this may be too too soon, right, Maybe you guys don't know about it, so friends of our. Coppola has written director of movie called megoppol Meggalopa megop meg and now I sound like the know the Governors. Yeah, And he had a trailer that I saw two days ago that was pretty great. The trailer, because it was the first was kind of like it was almost sort of Trumpian in its like bitterness because it started the first five minutes of trailer are all about his past movies, including the Godfather and Apocalypse Now and all the crappy reviews he got. You know, this is a mess, this is boring, this is horrible, And then the idea is supposed to be that like the hey, reviewers, don't get me, I'm a visionary filmmaker. They had to take it down because some of the quotes aren't right. That some of the reviewers were complaining, I didn't pan Apocalypse Now. I didn't pan I think. I think the Variety reviewers said, well, I did pan one from the heart, I did pan that, but nothing none of the others right. And some people say, well, look I panned The Outsiders. That was a terrible movie, but I would would never but I praised The Godfather, And I just love the idea that day, when you can check anything so easily, they didn't bother to verify any of this stuff because, and here's my theory, it's because today you could also make these trailers so easily. The actual cost of making that trailer was close to zero, whereas when the cost of making a trailer was a lot, thinking you had to get an editor, you film all that stuff, you just naturally that checked it, because why not, I mean, you may as well it's going to cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars to make this trailer. But if you're just some kid is doing it on his computer and it costs nothing, then you don't bother to check anything, even though checking it is infinitesimally easier.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is interesting you bring this up because the minute that I saw the trailer. The minute that I saw the trailer and I watched it, I texted our friend Sonny Bunch, who is the film critic of The Bulwark the Standard, and I was like, setting, something is up with this trailer because the first quote is from Pauline Kale, the great film critic of the New Yorker, about The Godfather, and it says the Godfather has longers or something like that, and I was like, Pauline Klee wrote a rave review of The Godfather. And then I went as I recall, and I went and looked it up, and she said that this is an example of taking pulp and turning it into high art. Far from being an attack, it was a rave. And then they quoted about Apocalypse Now the critic John Simon, who said this is a mess or something like that, only it said John Simon had reviewed this in National Review, and John Simon was not the movie critic of National Review until the nineteen nineties. He was the critic of another magazine called The New Leader. And I said, these quotes aren't right. Something's off. And then I remembered something, which is that a friend of mine went to chat gbt and asked them to write about ask chat gbt to write a bio of me, and this bio quotes my quotes film reviews that I've written, and none of them are real. So chat gbt is a language learning system, it's not it's not a search system. And so it did the search to find out details, and then it somehow assembled quotations from movies that I had never reviewed, quoting things that I had never written. So my presumption is that some PR, either some PR person or Coppola himself, being eighty four years old, used chat GPT, which supplied him with these negative.
Speaker 4: Quotes famous reviewers of these movies. That makes a lot of sense to make. That is I've tested this. A bunch of chat gypt routinely gets somewhere between twenty and eighty percent of.
Speaker 2: Quotes wrong.
Speaker 1: Because it doesn't know how to push it is looking quoted. Isn't what it does? It builds sentences based.
Speaker 2: On the prior word. Right now, I know what it does.
Speaker 1: My point is it's predictive language.
Speaker 2: It's not right, and it takes whatever the data set is. So yeah, I just just chat GPT John pedorit's and it says Minnesota native John poritsous for saying and ran against you normal. Well, okay, okay, you know some of it.
Speaker 1: openI is a lot better than chatchipt when it comes to the Minnesota subjects. And you know what, Rob, mind your own damn business. That's all I have to say.
Speaker 2: Now I'm gonna talk about something I think. I talk about it all the time on glove. I really do love it. It's ag one Athletic Greens. One morning routines are critical to me and one of the most important parts of this routine is drinking my AG one. I drink it before heading out the door and it makes me feel ready to take on my day. Ag one is a foundational nutritional supplement that delivers daily nutrients and gut health support. It's backed by multiple research studies, so you can trust what you're putting into your body. Ag One's ingredients are heavily research for efficacy and quality, and I love that every scoop also includes prebiotics, probiotics and digestive enzymes for gut support along with vit see and seeing to support my immune health. I just took a big trip. I was in Peru, I was on the Amazon River actually, and having ag one with me every day. You know, when you're in a complicated place is an incredible, incredible relief and incredible benefit. So it is. That's why it is the one product I trust to support my whole body health. It's ag one. That's why we have partnered with them for so long. They are a big supporter of us, and I am a huge satisfied client of theirs. So easy and satisfying to start your journey with ag one, try ag one. Get a free one year supply of vitamin D three, K two and five free a G one travel packs with your first purchase at drinkag one dot com slash glob Honestly, the travel packs are where it's at. I get those at my travel with them, but I also have them here. There's much They're easier to me than the scoop, but they're both pretty easy. That is ag one dot com slash glop a drink a g One Drink and then ag letters and the number one dot com slash glop. Check it out and we thank ag one for a terrific product, and we also thank them for being a very loyal sponsor of glob.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, I really hope that our people are people who listen to us and want Trump to win, are preparing, are are stealing themselves for what's going to happen to the next seventy days. I mean there, they can go there all they want, but the last three weeks have it should not be giving them confidence that they're going to see the result that they are hoping for in November. That's all I'm saying. Rob.
Speaker 2: And also the problem is that they keep it. It's more and more obvious that the problem in that campaign is the leader, the person at the top of that campaign. You're gonna, I'm sure to rewrite history, you make it, you know, C. C. Wild's ball or somebody else's fall. But those are professionals doing their best job, doing a job as best they can. The person undermining the effort is the person they believe is the great leader.
Speaker 4: So it's the guy who wanted to bring the chair out on stage rather than just give an endorsement. Exactly, he is bringing the chair out on stage.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Did you see his tweet our truth social post? I love this thing and like it's it's probably good. I am not the editor of commentary because I would allow myself to be distracted by these sorts of things in ways that John cannot.
Speaker 1: It's the Josh Shapiro one, isn't it. It is You're going to the Josh Shapiro one.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't even mind the stupidity of attacking a governor of Pennsylvan any of a state you need, who has a sixty one percent of ruval rating, or beginning with the sentence the highly overrated Jewish governor of the Great Commonwealth of Pennsilonia. Forget all that I don't care about the dual loyalty, stuff about the Jews and Israel, all that.
Speaker 2: It's this, he says.
Speaker 4: Yet Shapiro, for strictly political reasons, refused to acknowledge that I am the best friend that Israel and the Jewish people ever had. I have done more for Israel than any president and frankly and frankly, I have done more for Israel than any person and it's not even close. So suck at Moses, Yes, suck king David hertzel Gurian hikers.
Speaker 2: You know, it's not even close yet all my years of word I can't even say. Anyway, I'm sorry really hard this morning at that.
Speaker 1: I apologize his So Jews make up two percent of the population of the United States and make and okay, so it's two percent, and.
Speaker 2: It feels like a lot. It feels like a lot more.
Speaker 1: There are four hundred thousand Jews and sixty.
Speaker 2: Percent of this podcast, just so we're clear, sixty six percent.
Speaker 1: Sorry Jews in Pennsylvania. So they Jews in a very close election. Jews, how they swing if they really were to swing and they could make it, could make a difference. No, that's me, Rob, that's me as the gay club. I'm only starting the game so I can get coach Walls to be my advisor.
Speaker 2: I just want it now. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Trump's obsession with the ingratitude of the Jewish people toward him is another is a mark of his mania or madness, because on the one hand, I understand it and I a lot of people around him say it. And I know people Jews who like him and are grateful to him, who share this idea and believe that it is madness for Jews to support the Democratic Party and all of that. But it's really he's got bigger fished fry. You know, he has an election to win all over the place, and it's like he's like the UN in the you know how fifty percent of the UN's resolutions are about Israel, a country that has zero point one percent of the population of the planet Earth. And it's like twenty percent of his tweets are about Jews, and Jews aren't supporting him enough. And I wish that it were that important that Jews don't support him enough.
Speaker 4: And just, but it isn't yes per equal time, because I know people are going to say Brillian syndrome. Jamie Harrison, the head of the DNC, had a tweet the other day a Monday night for Biden's speech, right, we showed a picture of him shaking Biden's hand, where he said, Joe Biden is the not one of, not among the most consequential president in American history, and it's it's sort of Trump like in the same way. Right, It's like this need to satiate the egos of sad old men is kind of amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean, like.
Speaker 4: I'd be hard pressed to find a serious progressive who could make a case. I mean, unless your whole thing it's some sort of caram thing where he kept Trump from getting reelected in that matter, because we'd all be you know, in camps or something, you know, which I don't believe in all that kind of stuff. But beyond that, it's like, go find a normal, fairly normal, serious, very progressive, you know, intellectual and have them make the case for you that Biden was more consequential than Barack Obama or Bill Clinton or any Democratic president of our lifetimes, never mind Fdr Lincoln wars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Madison Monroe. Uh yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So I just.
Speaker 1: That is that that that is equal time I do. Here. Here's here's the thing. I know again, Trump is pop culture figure. So Trump is pop culture figure. One of his people, Greg Price, puts out last night after Oprah's speech a letter that they have like Oprah's letter to Trump, because Trump sent her a copy of his book or something like that, and she wrote him a note that said I kind of got weakened the knees of little Tierry because you were so kind about me. Thank you very much, signed Oprah. Now I got to tell you I wrote Oprah's a notewriter like George H. W. Bush and I because I got a note from Oprah once because I wrote a piece when I was the TV critic at the New York Post saying for some reason I had been watching her. I would didn't watch her, but that I watched a week of hers because I had an idea for a piece. And I had noticed, this is nineteen ninety four, that she was radically changing the focus of her show. If you remember, her show in the early years was very salacious and it was always about fathers raping their daughters and you know, crimes and really and then she made this because she's such a genius, she realized that she had run out the string on that material and that it was things were you know, like other people were moving up on her in that regard, like Montel and others, and she decided to go with this new age positivism, and she started doing upbeat shows and how you know, shows about how you could make your life life better and here's how you can diet, and here's a great story. And I wrote this seven hundred word column saying Oprah Winfrey is changing her focus and this is pretty interesting. And at a note, I get a letter. I get a note, handwritten note from Oprah saying, dear John, I was very touched moved by your column. I just want positive light and the sparks of hopefulness and glory throughout the world so that everyone can be their best selves and blah blah blah, sincerely, Oprah Winfrey. Now I'm only telling the story because clearly she set out time during the day every day to write a note or two to people who did something that she wanted to thank them for. And she had written this note scribble dashed off this note to Trump. Greg Price put it up, It's fine, okay, because she had attacked Trump at the convention and so so he wanted to show that she had once written a nice note to Trump. But what he said was every celebrity America loved Trump until twenty fifteen, when the word came down from the Obamas that he was to be attacked. Every celebrity in America loved Trump. Do you know who loved Trump. Nobody, I mean, wrestling fans loved Trump.
Speaker 2: Trump.
Speaker 1: Love was not the word that you would associate with people. People were fascinated by him, they were horrified by him, they were compelled by him. Love was not the predominating emotion, I would say, even even from Oprah in her extreme.
Speaker 4: There was a moment in the mid to late eighties with the woman ring stuff where you would meet payn love.
Speaker 1: Trump Okay, fair enough, yeah, because he said yeah.
Speaker 4: And actually what he did is he ripped off his business partner by lying to him about it, said we'll get equal credit, and the other guy did all the work, and then he just took all the credit. But there was a time when people were really in the Trump back then, but that's been all that was over by the mini It was a.
Speaker 2: Huge, huge star. I mean, the friend is a giant hit.
Speaker 1: But you can see where the it's so hard for him to escape his own brain because when he needs to, when when when his staff has to say to him, this isn't working. You know, you got to focus on you got it. We gotta go at Kamala's a vibes candidate, so you got to cut the vibes and say, uh, she's going to be a bad president because she was a she was a vice president of a bad administration, is going to be a bad president. And then he's like, okay, I'll do that. And then someone goes, no, no, no, you be yourself. You got to be yourself. Let Reagan be Reagan. Let Trump be Trump. And then he goes out and he's like, I know they want me to read the teleprompter, he says on the stage, but I don't want to. So I'm just gonna I'm just going to go into one of my rants about how I don't even need any new voters as long as they don't steal the election.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, John, Yes, they're changing the subject. Yere, This is me changing the subject, even if I mean, obviously there are people in November. People, some people are going to be disappointed. You know, you're gonna be very bitterly disappointed by something, whether you're for her or whether for him. Someone's going to lose and you're going to feel and you're gonna be in despair, I think. But I have a piece of Hollywood news that I think will make that may actually make could could potentially make everybody happy, and that is that the chicken fast food restaurant, Chick fil A. And I'm not kidding. They are planning to launch their own streaming platform, Chick fil A. That you know, Chicken people are going to have a streaming service. They are buying content. Now most of it's going to be a family friendly all that stuff, a lot of reality stuff, but they are there's going to be a Chicken channel. Are you sure?
Speaker 4: Just just to be clear, are you sure it's spelled the same way as the Chicken place and it's not like a porn platform.
Speaker 2: Wait, let me let me hold on, hold on.
Speaker 1: Okay, first of all, yes, never mind me.
Speaker 2: You know it was Chick fil A.
Speaker 1: It's I have many questions, have many questions. Number one, will it be open on Sunday?
Speaker 2: Now that's a good question.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a streaming service. Well they shut it down on Sunday. When they shut it down Chick fil A restaurant? No, okay, really Chick fil A.
Speaker 2: So so there is a there is a there is a future, right, there is a future. A Potentially it's not gonna happen, but it is potential that we'll do We'll do a glop a year from now and I'll say, hey, fellas, after this glop I recorded slop, I gotta go work on my Chick fil A show, And I'll be saying, like, give me tell you that the executives a Chick fil A are really good. They give good notes and they give no notes on Sundays.
Speaker 1: You know, like like this is perfect for you because now that you are entering the clergy, sure you are perfect for a Christian screaming streaming channel.
Speaker 2: Well they didn't say.
Speaker 1: Family, okay, but they the dogs on Sunday so you can go to so you can go to church. And so I have never eaten a Chick fil A because I because I keep kosher. So I gather it's the best one, right, Isn't that everybody sounds the greatest of all chickens.
Speaker 2: Think it's overrated, but I might agree, Okay. I mean, if you're gonna get a chicken sandwich, I think it's hard to beat spicy chicken sandwich and Popeyes. Actually, honestly, okay, I think Popeyes for chicken is fantastic. Yeah, really very good.
Speaker 1: But okay, so just similarly, for the record that people say that it's great, Hue, it is good Okay, okay, So you know, maybe this is an act of genius. You have this very positively viewed brand and it has a little culture war content so that people feel good about it because they like its stance on faith. And so it's like one of those that hall that beyond Hallmark Channel channel that's like the Hallmark Channel, only it's religious that Kirk Cameron's sister left the Hallmark Channel to be an executive producer for so you get the branding. It brings with it the social credit system of the evangelicals and stuff. So like maybe they could merge with the Hobby Lobby streaming channel.
Speaker 2: Sure, well the Aventure will have to, okay because a consolidation is going to happen and their big competitive be the Panera Bread channel. That's going to be a big one. All on is are they going to bring back Claymation, Davy and Glass.
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: Then here's you know what the porn one's going to be and I the porn one is getting not clamation The Wendy streaming channel is going to be a little.
Speaker 1: Porny Yeah yeah, I mean kind of.
Speaker 2: Little girl like. Yeah, it could be like that, you know, the one the Free one. The free one is going to be cracker Barrel. That's gonna be just my My.
Speaker 1: Wife will also keeps kosher.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Was driving to visit our kid in camp in in Wisconsin and was trying to find a Culver's. Couldn't find a Culvers. Culver's the great It has the greatest milkshake. Actually I think five Guys has the greatest milkshake, but Culver's is pretty close. Uh, but couldn't find a Culvers. And she and her friend and my wife of course also a lifetime keeper of cash Rout, so she they have to go to what they're starving. They have to go to a taco bell. First time she's ever been in a taco bell, and she was repulsed. It was disgusting. And I said, the thing about taco bell that I always liked when I lived in Arlington, Virginia there was one right near my house, is that it was so cheap that you could buy five burritos, and it was like the more you bought.
Speaker 2: The more explosive diarrhea you had. Right.
Speaker 4: I've grown to like watch Futurama a bit lately. It's on the Comedy Channel Comedy Network in the mornings and when like Al Sharpton is talking on Morning Joe whatever, I'll flip over to it because I have no use for that. And one of the things they're absolutely brilliant about, much like The Simpsons, are those establishing shot site gags, like you know, with the what the sign outside the church says in the Simpsons has got to We'll always.
Speaker 2: Have a great joke and in that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyway, there was one on Futurama the other day where the sign was, I hope I can get this right. It's the Taco Bellevue Hospital having a normal sized baby supersize it for forty nine cents more.
Speaker 1: That reminds me of and this this is really going to date me. But The Far Side, which of course was the greatest single panel comic ever.
Speaker 2: Best single panel comic ever made, but right for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, so the the comic was It's like Mars or something that sort of looked like the Jetsons, like, it's you're an outer space and it's like outer space Las Vegas and there's a sign and it says, you know, the Mars Caesar's Palace. George Burns appearing nightly because of course at the time, George Burns was like one hundred and five years old and was still going on the Tonight Show chewing on his cigar and being hilarious. And that's like that Futurama, you know it was. It was like some kind of that was a prediction of that kind of the Far Side.
Speaker 4: There's the Far Side, which it's hard to describe how it was drawn, but it seems plausible, where it's like an incredibly old guy shaking inside of a suit that's now too big for him, and the caption is suddenly Dick Clark looked his age, the.
Speaker 1: Other one, the other one, and then we're gonna stop remembering Farsecco too. But was what you have this like tribe in Africa or something like like a tribe in the jungle and they're all running around crazy. They're all carrying like televisions and computers and they're running to hide them, and the caption is the anthropologists are coming. So anyway, Gary Larson, he was really a an extraordinary comic mind. But you know what isn't a comic mind, you guys, is our next sponsor. And I have to put on my reading glasses here for this Lumen the world's first handheld metabolic coach. It's a device that measures your metabolism through your breath and on the app, it lets you know if you're burning fat or carbs, and it gives you detailed, tailored guidance to improve your nutrition, workout, sleep, and even stress management. All you got to do is breathe into your Lumin first thing in the morning. You'll know what's going on with your metabolism, whether you're mostly burning fats or carbs. Then Luman gives you a personalized nutrition plan for that day based on your measurements. You can also breathe into it before and after workouts and meals, so you know exactly what's going on in your body in real time, and Lumen will give you tips to keep you on top when you're gone. So if you want to take the next step and improving your health, go to lumen dot me slash glop to get fifteen percent off your Lumen. That's lum dot so l u m E n dot me m E slash glob for fifteen percent off your purchase. And thank you Lehman for sponsoring this episode. Samebody watching anything Good like I'm I'm Running out of gas with the streaming stuff. Things are on. People tell me they're good, like they tell me that presumed innocent is good, and I can't. I just like I nothing is drawing me.
Speaker 2: I'm late on everything. So you you guys may have talked about this on a glob when I was just zoning out. But and maybe it's maybe it's terrible. I only saw two episodes that I really enjoyed them of this show, good omens, that's the whole show.
Speaker 1: That's an old show. Those things.
Speaker 2: There's a new, there's a new there's a new season out.
Speaker 1: I mean, I love those two guys, right, it's uh, David, it's fun David Tennant and Michael Sheen, Right, And there one's one like a devil and ones an angel. Is that do have that? Right?
Speaker 2: One is that they're both they're both representative of heaven and hell once devil's an angel and they kind of in the they kind of are trying to avert the end times. They think the end times we shouldn't have and so they're kind of on Earth kind of make things better. I don't know, I'm maybe I'm way behind. I just thought, oh, this is pretty good. And this shows you how way behind him. I just looked it up. It's from twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just so.
Speaker 2: But I thought there was a new season out, but I guess there's not.
Speaker 1: Well I am. I am heartbroken because.
Speaker 2: Look, the second season was released in its entirety on Amazon Prime last year. So I'm only a year I'm only technically a year late.
Speaker 1: Okay, So can we talk about this because the streaming services are getting are are are getting away with something that's terrible. It's not an HPO two. But like, so Joe and I watched half of the Dragon. I know, I know Robbie almost certainly didn't watch House of the Dragon. So House to the Dragon that first season a half years ago, and then and then it had its second season just ended like three or four weeks ago, and it was a huge hit. And I think we talked about this, but the House of the Dragon ended by concluding its eight episode season. It's like, and now it's time for the war. Here are the flows and credits, Like the whole thing builds up to the final scene where they're all sailing off to start the big war between the Targarian family houses, and then it ends, and then we're gonna have to wait two years for it to start up again. And they're being rewarded for this because the show is a hit and so they're going to make more of it, but it's going to take two more years for it to come out. And now we understand the genius of network television in the old model, which is like you liked it, you didn't like or whatever, but it was there. If you wanted to watch it, it was there. They made twenty four episodes or even thirty episodes in the early days, and then they did repeats in the summer, and then it was there in September, and if you wanted it, you had it. And now they're playing this scarcity game almost and it's like, by the time that show comes back, I won't remember any of the characters. I won't remember anything that happened. Fine, and it's like there's some kind of cosmic screwing going on here, am I?
Speaker 2: Well, their argument is the cosmet rooms the other way around. The business model doesn't work. Unlimited content, all you can eat it doesn't work. So they that was not their plan. Their plan was unlimited. But now they realize scarcity is the way to go, and that you'll want to see the new season, but then you'll also think, oh, I got to catch up any old season, And so you'll always be either catching up or getting preparing to see something new, so that when the credit card bill comes every month, you'll never think to yourself, well, I'm going to cancel it now, because you're always mid cycle something.
Speaker 1: But Joan, what I mean, do you care?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: I don't even care. I don't care which one. I don't care whether whether the blonde people or the non blonde people win. I don't care whether whether whether the red the nice redhead lady who made the mistake of putting her son on the iron throne because she misunderstood the leper husband and his and his ideas, or whether it's the more regal blonde haired chick. I don't care who wins. But I seem somehow to be forced, compelled by my circumstances to watch this thing, and then we have to bone up on it, and then it's gonna be okay.
Speaker 4: So uh am I really like And this is a mild, very mild spoiler of people if they haven't caught up. The best scene where I actually rooted for a character was the second to last episode of the second season where the dragon just killed everybody and I was like, finally, all these people are annoying.
Speaker 2: I don't like any of them. Y.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, that's the fundamental problem with the show is I wouldn't mind that they didn't get to warr yet if I liked the characters. Yeah, but there's no likable, truly likable characters in the whole friggin show.
Speaker 2: And that's just a or.
Speaker 1: Even so, they had a compelling villain character, semi villain character. Blonde guy Matt Smith, a guy British actor, played a character named Damon Demon. Basically first season was actually a really good villain, complicated fun to watch. So they take the second season and they stash him in a side story where he's having hallucinations for five episodes talking to one person, the actress who plays Sally Bowles right now on Broadway in Cabaret and talking to Simon Russell Bill, the great British stage actor, and that's it, and he's not involved in the plot. It's like they took their but it would be like you took Peter Dinklice Tyrian and you stashed him in a monastery for an entire season when all you wanted to do was watch Tyrian on Game of Thrones.
Speaker 4: So I agree, it's amazing, but I'm still gonna watch it. So we we we because I agree with you, August, it has been a bad month for new content. We started rewatching, uh, Silicon Valley from the beginning. Oh and we're like halfway into season three, so you can start to see on the horizon the show deteriorate.
Speaker 2: You know, it's coming.
Speaker 4: I don't think we ever even finished like season six or whatever it was, because the guy's so bad. But like, the first two seasons really are just great, and there's just so much good stuff in there, and it's funny. How now it's a little dated, because how could it not be being about technology?
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, in Silicon Valley.
Speaker 4: And I've completely forgotten that like cars, Swisher is in it and all this kind of stuff. Oh yeah, some of those kind of like weird easter eggs to it. Also, when I first watched it, I wasn't a co founder of a startup, and so there's all sorts of stuff I have a new appreciation for. But uh, that's it's pretty great.
Speaker 2: It is also, yeah, it is also historically, I think I'm trying to think of another show. It is the most conservative television show that's ever been made.
Speaker 1: Judges other shows, yeah, but this one was.
Speaker 2: This one actually was explicitly explicit or I should say free market shows. The neighborhood Villain, you know, the neighborhood Karen is a bearded hippie in a wheelchair and he ferrets. He raises ferrets and he's like trying to use the city ordinances against them. And then the argument they make to him at the doorway is like the greatest pro gentrification rising tide lifts all boats argument I heard. It was fantastic. And then there's this very arcane it's not really okay and if you're in the world, but if you're not in the world, it's very orkaan idea of like what they call liquidity preference, So who gets paid and how And it's a it's a forty five second explanation on a park bench and it is the most concise explanation of venture finance and how how the how a founder gets screwed that you could ever hear and you could go to a MILLI you read it your chat GPT. The heck out of it. You could just that scene alone is probably what every founder should read. Just watch.
Speaker 1: I mean, that is a great and it's finally as an extraordinary It was just like, I don't know if there was anything ever been an ongoing business satire.
Speaker 2: I mean about the gaming industry that started pretty strong. It was called a wark wrap workuest something or whatever.
Speaker 1: Oh a mythic quest question. But it was yeah, it was about it. It was about a giant it was about a giant multiplayer game company.
Speaker 2: It was so close to being good and it just didn't quite land it.
Speaker 1: There was one good character, right, which was the f Murray Abraham character, who is the novelist who has become the agent. Yeah right, yeah, I just tried to come up with the story. But it really it really it really didn't work. And but it is really a Silicon Valley is a very it is an unusual thing. I'm heartbroken because today, as we're recording, this marks the final episode of my actually my favorite streaming show of this dreaming era on Paramount Plus, which is called Evil, an evil important to Rob here as he as he enters his spiritual life. Evil is a show about a shrink, a priest and a techie who are hired by the Catholic Church to investigate potential cases of demonic possession. Uh. And there so there is a demonic possession possibility of the week which always has a potential medical or psycho psychological explanation or is in fact a demonic possession in it?
Speaker 2: Is there in it? Who sort of Andrea Martin Martin I've seen I've seen clips of this on TikTok.
Speaker 1: Andrew Martin plays a nun who is yes and Wallace Shawn, whom I generally don't like, plays a priest like the priest who runs the parish that our hero priest my culture is like the associate the younger, the younger guy in and the show has this sort of demon of the weak thing, and then it has this very complicated Rosemary's Baby like through line about a network of Satanic worshipers and demons who are about to come together to try to bring the world to an end. The villain led by Michael Emerson who will be known to people as Henry Gale or whatever his name was on Lost, the villain un Lost if you remember the fantastic Villain and Evil, which has had four seasons and is now concluding tonight. Is an extraordinarily witty, clever, and unexpectedly touching show that takes faith seriously, which makes it almost almost without precedent in American television. As far as I can tell you know what they should do.
Speaker 2: They should do all the subsequent seasons. If it is in fact as you described, they should do the subsequent seasons on Chick fil A. It does feel like good, a good Chick fil A within the Chick fil A brand.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, Jonah, Can I praise you because you have been You have been like killing it on on the Remnants. You have had great Remnant after after Great Remnant. You have Fred Kagan today. I can't even remember the Mike Pesca. I mean, I was fantastic this week. And uh, and so that is a so people should be listening to the Remnant as well as watching you on. I guess you're not doing the DNC.
Speaker 2: They did not see an n kind of screwed me. I'm free to say.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: They asked me to block off the Democratic Convention, which was fine, but it meant I had to scramble all sorts of vacation plans. And then they ended up not using me too late for me to sort of like restore them. And if they just said they weren't going to use me, I wouldn't mind it. But you know, I kind of would like to be in Chicago. I think it'd be kind of cool, But I'm not people should write angry letters saying why isn't there more Goldberg.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 2: But the good news is I leave very soon in the next couple of days for my sprinter van adventure in the great American vastness.
Speaker 1: So wow, Yeah, I am excited for you.
Speaker 2: I'm excited for you to be able to say things like when you're on TV, you know, being a punted tay, things like let me tell you how it feels out here in America, let me tell you how I But at least when.
Speaker 1: Jonah does these drives, he literally he isn't just in Des Moines at the Des Moines Hotel talking to other reporters like you are like driving through somewhere I brought up there was this amazing story about the bicyclist. The cyclist who won the gold in the Olympics from Alaska who had never ridden a bike, or had she had been a different she'd been a rower at Harvard, and then when she got out of Harvard, she goes to New York. She starts going to a cycling club and like seven years later wins the gold medal. And she's from Alaska and her parents own a hotel in Alaska. And Jonah was like, I've been to that hotel.
Speaker 2: It's a very cool location. The hotel.
Speaker 4: It's at the end of what they call the Homer Spit and which is like this incredibly narrow basically the size of a two lane highway plus a little extra land way out in the middle of this bay in Alaska. And the hotel is called a resort, which is generous, but it's a really really cool location.
Speaker 1: But I'm just saying, like, so you actually to be fair, because you're making fun of the reporters who say I'm getting the pulse, but you actually do, like go traverse places that are not in fact on the beaten path about.
Speaker 4: Actually taking the Lincoln Highway. So my wife's going to Alaska for a family and meeting thing, and then I'm gonna she's gonna fly back to Denver, where I'm gonna pick her up with the dogs in the van, and I'm thinking about taking the Lincoln Highway, which I've never done, which is the original national highway before the interstate, and it takes a little longer.
Speaker 2: But where do I got to be?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And uh, I got you. This sounds like really great content for Chick fil A, And everywhere I go, I'm gonna tell people to mind their own goddamn business.
Speaker 1: You rob you and you and Jonah need to go pitch, you know. I mean, I assume what's gonna end up happening is that Chick fil A is a nice company and they will find some a person who goes to a church in Beverly Hills and hire them to be the CEO. And then it's going to turn out that the church that they go to is a church of Satan and they won't have understood that. Or you, maybe you could be the head of the Chick fil A straight.
Speaker 2: I would like to be the president of entertainment chick.
Speaker 1: I think you'd be great at it.
Speaker 2: I'm qualified. Yeah, I'd be bad executive, but I'm qualified to do it.
Speaker 1: So Martini shot for you every week.
Speaker 2: Every week, every week. I took a few weeks off of the summer. I'm back, so that's all you, that's all you need know.
Speaker 1: And just just so I can put pressure on you in public. Uh, you need to write your commentary column before before you move to Princeton so that you can get out of the way, because then you're gonna tell me. But I'm moving and I got school starting and all that, so I got to get there.
Speaker 2: I'll be fully moved before the columns. Do trust me, I'll be I'll be ensconced before the columns. I don't believe you.
Speaker 1: So you're really, really, you're gonna you're you're You're gonna make me. You're gonna walk the tight rope again. This is what you're saying. You're gonna walk the deadline tightrope with me. I'm giving you a chance to avoid the deadline tightrope, and you are not taking it.
Speaker 2: Mind your own damn business. This is business, I forget. It's literally what you should be minding.
Speaker 1: All right, And with that, we'll reconvene with Robin Princeton and Jonah. Who knows, maybe Jonah will be on the Lincoln Highway the next time we have a conversation.
Speaker 2: Ephim.
Speaker 1: No, the gay club is okay. We've got a golden rule, Mind your own damn business.