Speaker 1: Wednesday afternoon, thirteen minutes past the hour of two o'clock. I'm getting that sunshine we were promised today, but it's pretty warm anyway. It's about sixty six degrees bud cloudy here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, on this April Wednesday afternoon. And as it is every single day, it's gonna have you along for the Riot Spence check.
Speaker 2: It's beyond the mic.
Speaker 1: That's Porter Larson beyond the Glass today, producing the program, booking the program.
Speaker 2: Got a good guest list today.
Speaker 1: We have two members of the three Timers Club, three time sports Broadcaster of the Year. We'll tell you who our guests are in just a moment. But we've got a lot to do on the program today. It is the first day of win or go Home basketball in the NBA. Its one really good game last night, one blowout Atlanta in Orlando.
Speaker 2: Was close through about.
Speaker 1: Two and a half quarters, and then the magic at the end of the third and then throughout the fourth quarter just smoked Atlanta. So Orlando advances on as the seventh seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs, and the Golden State Warriors behind big games from Jimmy Butler and Stephen wardel Curry took care of the Memphis Grizzlies, but it was not easy.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Memphis counterpunched over and over and over. Desmond Bane was really good. John Morantz had a sprained ankle there in the third and fourth quarter but played well in addition, So Golden State advances on as the seventh seed and they're going to take on the Houston Rockets.
Speaker 2: The Warriors in the.
Speaker 1: Rockets have a lot of playoff history, but of course a brand new team down in Houston, full of a bunch of pit bulls man, full of a bunch of young guards that can really play defense, young wings with length. This will not be an easy series for the Golden State Warriors. So we'll get into it on the program today and get you ready for the games tonight. For the third straight year, the Heat and the Bulls are playing in the play in scenario. Now, tonight's games are nine v ten, so these are actually true elimination games. The loser of tonight's game games are done. Chicago's a slight favorite over Miami. Chicago finished the regular season winning seven of eight. Miami finished the regular season losing four of six. The winner of that game will advance on to play the Atlanta Hawks, who lost to the Orlando Magic last night.
Speaker 2: The loser of that game goes home.
Speaker 1: The late night game at Golden One Center and Sacramento will be the Mavericks and the Kings.
Speaker 2: The loser of that game is done.
Speaker 1: The winner of that game will play Memphis coming up on Friday for.
Speaker 2: The right to get swept by Oklahoma City.
Speaker 1: Should Dallas lose, then Alex Jensen will be done with his employment for the Dallas Mavericks and high speed ahead here to Salt Lake to be the seventeenth head coach in the history of the Utah men's basketball program. So do some NBA today, as we are inching closer and closer. We are less than a month away from the NBA Draft lottery. For you Jazz fans, that's your next day to look forward to. That could be somewhat interesting. Kan k Nipple has entered the NBA Draft. There was some questions whether or not Con would leave Duke, but that became official today. So throughout the course of the next you know, three or four weeks prior to the NBA lottery, We're gonna do a lot on the draft. We're gonna do a lot on some of these prospects, and we're gonna get you ready for the potential of one of these five players to land here in Salt Lake City. As a result of the Jazz having the worst record in the NBA, they will have a top five pick with a fourteen percent chance of landing number one overall, where the prize, of course, will be Cooper Flack. The spring transfer window is open in college football. It'll be open for ten days or so. I believe it closes on April the twenty fifth. Utah YU will they make some additions Utah State over the next ten days or so, and then the transfer.
Speaker 2: Portal will close after that.
Speaker 1: And I think both Utah and by you feel like they're set in a lot of different ways, but you never know who's out there. You never know ultimately how this will go down. So we'll bring you any rumors that we hear and of course any news that comes down. With the college football transfer portal now officially open on this Wednesday afternoon, so a lot to do on the show today. Rayel Saltlake will be back in action coming up on Saturday against Toronto. That game is here, it is home RSL is in the midst of a four match road trip with one truncated home match in between, and that is Saturday against Toronto. We are still awaiting word for this mythical number nine, these strikers that apparently are on their way. No clue if this is going to get done. We are now officially as of today, it's one week away.
Speaker 2: We have one week left before the primary transfer.
Speaker 1: Window closes for Rayl Salt Lake. NFL Draft right around the corner. Giants came out today and said they're willing to play Travis Santra on both sides of the football. Latest on Chad or Sanders, latest on some of the local prospects. As the NFL Draft is right around the corner coming up next week. So Jam packs show with a lot to get to on the program today. Some NBA Playing Action Elimination Game, NBA Draft Lottery for you Jazz fans, NFL Draft, and college football Transfer portal for you college football fans, Love RSL for the soccer fans out there, and whatever else comes our way. On this Wednesday edition of the show. The guest list today looks like this. Andy Larson, Salt Lake Tribune covers the Utah Jazz Data columns RSL.
Speaker 2: You know, Andy does a.
Speaker 1: Lot of stuff, So bringing Andy today right off the bat on a Wednesday afternoon, Neil Smith will stop by. We'll do a little oh bit on the season that was for the Utah Hockey Club as they went to Saint Louis and got their butts handed to them. Blues wins six to one. So the season is over for the hockey club.
Speaker 2: So Neil will stop by today.
Speaker 1: We'll look back on the Jazz season, look ahead to the NBA Draft Lottery. The voice of the Utah Jazz Craig Bowler Jack and then the voice himself of the Utes, Bill Riley, stops by. Bill will be with us for the NBA Draft Knight covered John June the twenty fifth, and we may be out and about. Our sales team is looking to maybe sell a Draft Night remote, which will be me and Bill and the Great Gordy Chiasa. So Bill stops by as well. Craig Bowler, Jack, Bill Riley, I believe are the only two winners of the Utah Sports Broadcaster of the Year award on three separate occasions.
Speaker 2: So I'm just thinking porter.
Speaker 1: Of like the old five Timers Club on SNL like Steve Martin, those guys, I'm thinking like robes, cigars, maybe a little whiskey for Bowler and and and Riles say.
Speaker 2: That we need to get both of them together in their three timer robes in studio.
Speaker 4: We should have them in studio for that specifically. And I could see both of those guys puffing on a cigar. Not that not that they do often. I don't know, but yeah I could. I could picture that now now to be clear, three time Sportscaster of the Year between between the two of them, six total. I don't I don't know if there's anyone in the building that's even been nominated. So yeah, we were welcoming in some prestigious air.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think. I don't know if Bill likes himself a cigar. I feel like Bowler does.
Speaker 1: And Bill's a vod katonic guy, so he won't be sipping on any whiskey out of a sifter. But I'm just thinking, as long as we can get the three timer robes like they do for us and L on the five timers, to get those two in studio, I think we're onto something.
Speaker 5: Okay. Ron Ron sponsors some robes.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I'll reach out. Let's see what we can do, all right.
Speaker 1: Our first guest today on this Wednesday afternoon will be Andy Larson. But before we get Dandy, courtesy of our friends at Prize Picks. On a Wednesday afternoon, it's time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the Drive with Spence.
Speaker 6: Check its on Utah's number one sports talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Cash in on the Basketball Playoffs with Prize Picks, don't miss your last chance. You have your favorite players from the court to your Prize Picks lineup, whether it's points, rebounds, or assists. Take your pick of more or less for your shots and went up to one thousand times your cash Today, turn your playoff thought takes into tickets to Basketball's championship series starting with the play in which is going on right now. Every lineup you make on Prize Picks will enter you into the Take two ticket sweepstakes, which could gets you on a plus one a VIP trip to the ship.
Speaker 2: So here's what you do.
Speaker 1: Download the Prize Picks app today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to check out, and you're gonna get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup. You don't have to win to get the fifty. It's on the house. So download the Prize Picks app today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred. You get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars line up. Price Picks run your game all season long. All right, we have some meaningful basketball that's been played, was played last night, and we'll be played tonight.
Speaker 2: And I talked a little bit about this yesterday.
Speaker 1: You know, March madness for me with the way that the current landscape and quite frankly, the ecosystem of pro basketball in the NBA is operating where you literally are rewarding people for losing, which is such a wild way to do business when you kind of think about it. But the incentive structure in the NBA rewards certain teams are in certain situations if they're really bad. It's kind of wild, Like if you had a sales job, and your sales staff is all sitting down in a meeting and your general manager rolls in and he's like, hey, good news. The top three earners this year, the three top salespeople on this staff this year, you get an extra one hundred thousand dollars bonus. So congratulations on that. However, the three worst sales people on the staff, you're going to get fifty grand. You know, it doesn't matter. We're just going to give you fifty grand. If you're horrible at this. Our bottom three sales members are going to get fifty grand. Our top three because winning is the bottom line. That's how you get paid. But the top three sales members of our staff one hundred grand if you hit your numbers.
Speaker 2: But the bottom three, if you're not even close, we're.
Speaker 1: Just going to give you fifty grand because we want to incentivize being bad at this. Pro basketball is like the only thing in the world that does it right. And so that's why I've always talked through the prism of what the jazz are doing. It's not fun, but it's the right approach. I don't know that they have any other choice, and they're in the kind of silo of teams that are being rewarded for being horrible at basketball, the losing teams. Actually, the incentive is there to lose, and that's why they're doing it. And if you get number one overall, and if you get Cooper flag, maybe the losing will be worth it because Cooper feels like he is a generationally special player. But ultimately, what you want to do is being one of the teams that every single year has a shot, right. And the awkward part about the NBA, and I think why a lot of people don't necessarily love it as much as they love the NFL. And the parity of the NFL and the at least the field that for most of the teams in pro football, you're not that far away unless you're a Jets fan or a Browns fan. More often than not, you know, there are some teams where you just are always far away. But the majority of NFL teams really have the ability to get back to their winning ways pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: And that's why you see very few dynasties.
Speaker 1: And that's why when you see a dynasty like the Pats with Brady and Belichick, it's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 2: And that's why they're remembered the way that they are.
Speaker 1: But in pro basketball, the dirty little secret is every single year preseason, you give me four five guesses, I'm gonna tell you who's gonna win the championship. Truly every single year. In some years you don't even need four or five guesses, like when the Warriors were peak Warriors.
Speaker 2: With Steph and Clay and Draymond and Durant.
Speaker 1: Like we all knew every year it was probably either going to be Golden State or whoever Lebron was playing on, whether it's Miami or Cleveland, right, But this year it wasn't hard to see. And look, Cleveland's had a really good year. We really should give Houston more credit than they deserve. And the Lakers have Lebron and Luca and Denver has the best player on the planet. But it's not hard to see that we're more or less high speed ahead to OKCE Boston in the finals unless there are some massive upset or a massive injury or something weird happens. And because of that, if you're a general manager and a roster constructor in the NBA and you don't feel like you actually have a shot, and by have a shot, I mean going to win the thing, and there are certain teams that can talk themselves into, yes, we think we have a shot this year. I think Cleveland probably has talked themselves into the fact that they think they probably have a chance. I don't see them beating Boston four times and seven tries, but you could do a lot worse than what the Cleveland Cavaliers have done this year and where they're at heading into the postseason. I guarantee I would be stunned if Houston thinks they actually have a shot. Like I said, the Lakers have Lebron and Lucas, so Brob Polenka and Jeanie Buss have probably talked themselves into believing, yeah, we have a chance because we have those two denver As Jokics.
Speaker 2: We've seen it before.
Speaker 1: The Clippers won eight straight ten the season, they have Kawai and when Kawi.
Speaker 2: Is healthy, he is one of those dudes.
Speaker 1: But ultimately, I think most people in the league this year realize that it's okay see in Boston if we're honest, and if you're not one of those two teams or the handful of teams that I just named, namely Cleveland, probably La Denver and maybe the Clippers. You can talk yourself into thinking you have a shot, but if you're not in that stratosphere, you're going to approach this thing a little bit differently to try to open up a championship one dow at some point when some of these other top teams start to fall down, which will happen as Lebron will exit stays left at some point, and of course the Lakers will slab Luca. We saw some real vintage Steph Curry moments last night, and whenever I lock in on Steph, I realize how blessed we've been as basketball fans to have him here.
Speaker 2: But at some point he's going to go away too.
Speaker 1: And I will say I do not view Golden State as a legitimate contender. I think they're having going to have a really difficult time beating Houston. If you don't know who Amin Thompson is, you're about to get familiar because he's about to guard Stephan Curry for an entire series. They've got a bunch of size with Sheng guon and Adams down low, and you know Draymond plays a lot of center for Golden State and always has. But they don't like Kevon Looney is not an answer down low, and Draymond's like six five six six. I just don't think Golden State has the size of the athleticism to compete with the best teams in the West or the NBA this year.
Speaker 2: So it's fun to see meaningful basketball.
Speaker 1: I thought that Warriors Grizzlies game last night was great, and we'll see what tonight brings. But from a Jazz perspective or any of these other teams that aren't necessarily in the group were at the start of every year, we say you have a chance, and there are exceptions. I think a lot of people thought this year at the start of the season, Philly would have something to say out east and Phoenix would have something to say out west, and neither of those two things came to fruition. Of course, with Philly it was the MBAT stuff and then Paul George podcasting P do not call him playoff P. Of course that didn't work out, and it was just a bad approach by a new owner in Phoenix to think that he could basically slog together a bunch of aging talent. They can't stay healthy and certainly not ready to play with each other.
Speaker 2: So those are.
Speaker 1: Probably the two exceptions, but more often than not, every year, people around the league know the group of teams that are going to you have a chance to win it, and if you are not in that group, you have to go about your roster construction.
Speaker 2: A different way.
Speaker 1: And if you're in the group where the jazz are at, you are incentivized to lose, which is why they're doing what they're doing. Porter has taken the wheel today. So we are doing a hipster country is that kind of feels like an oxymoron? Can country music be hipster?
Speaker 4: That's kind of why I had a weird response when you when you mentioned it.
Speaker 5: Not that I'm not excited, right, this is.
Speaker 2: All your stuff today? Was that Colter? Was that our guy?
Speaker 4: No, that's our guy, Brent Cobb, Brent Cobb, Ran Cobb. So I like that you're you're doing the hipster country thing. I just don't know how to define that, right because you're, as you said, you're kind of combining a couple of things. You definitely can, but I don't know if it's it's like it's the same it's the same thing.
Speaker 5: It's down to two different avenues, you.
Speaker 1: Know, are we gonna get a little Florida Georgia line today or no, absolutely not, ok fair enough, not a chance, not a snowballs chance in hell. Okay, Porter's in charge today doing a hipster country music or whatever that is. Speaking of hipsters. He works for the Solid Tribune. He covers the Utah Jazz. He is Andy Larson on a Wednesday afternoon. Hello, Andy, how are you?
Speaker 7: I'm great, I'm well.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: So you asked Will a really interesting question during the pre or excuse me, the postseason media availability a couple of days ago, about you know, if a team actually came Collin who had a I believe you said, a more winning organization, you know, just ready to win right away?
Speaker 2: What would what would Will do?
Speaker 1: And look, there was no way he was going to say like, yeah, I wish I was coaching Oka see or if I should have stayed and kept the Boston job. So he said what he of course was going to say, regardless of the question.
Speaker 2: My question to you is did you believe what he had to say?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Look, I mean I do I think you know, as we've evaluated the jazz and kind of stuck at the bottom right now, and we'll see what happened in the lottery, and there's there's a lot of good stuff that could happen. But this is in the middle of the rebuild. You know, would Will Hardy entertain offers from other teams? And you know, frankly, the real uh scenario that I envision is Greg Papavich retires for health reasons this summer. San Antonio looks around the NBA and says, Will Hardy could be our coach for the next ten to twenty years. Are you know, are you interested? And you know, I didn't ask him about that situation in particular because obviously he's got respect for Pop and blah blah blah, but like you know, in general, would Will Hardy leave the Utah jess to go somewhere else? And he was really clear, Look, I I'm all in, is what he said. And he said, I you know, this is I'm putting down roots in Utah. I want to be part of the community here. I believe in this rebuild and so on and so forth, and so.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, I thought it was a really forceful answer in a way that you know, like he could have Hemden had a little bit and I think, you know, frankly talking to him off the site too, Like.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 3: That is reflective.
Speaker 7: I was thinking right now, so you know, I thought it was useful to get that kind of on record and that like, hey, yes, Will Hardy is probably likely hear safe for as long as he as long as the jazz will happen.
Speaker 1: And I know we've talked about this before, and honestly, it is a question and a topic that is steeped in hypothetical. So there's probably not a ton of use of spending a lot of time on.
Speaker 2: This, so we won't.
Speaker 1: But you know, look, if we are sitting here, you know, mid April of twenty twenty seven, and the options on Will's contracts are done, and it's been five full years, and Lady luck did not shine upon them, and they don't get a Cooper flag, and they don't get an AJ debantsa whoever else is that dude in the next class cam booz.
Speaker 2: Or what have you?
Speaker 1: And you ask Will that question in five years and they just have not given him a roster that allows him to compete. I think Andy, you might get a different answer.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts?
Speaker 7: I mean maybe, Yeah, it's hard to know. Right, like, and you know, because if you do this and you know, it doesn't go out and you have three more years of pain. I mean, this year was difficult on everyone involved, including Will. For sure, Yeah it might be different, and so you know, yes, it is in coming on the front office to get good players for Will to coach. I don't think there's any question about that. And I do think he's shown when he does have good players, or when he is even just allowed to play his good players, which he wasn't this season, like he has tended to overperform. And I know that's crazy, given but he just led a team to seventeen wins and has yet to have a winning record. But like, if you look at kind of just what's actually happened in those seasons, it's been Will having to put the brakes on his own team's success to some degree. You know, yeah, it's it's going to be you know, who knows what happens in three years. But I think it's a it is a consideration that you don't want Will to go away because you to some degree, like the Jazz front office, and I think many of the fans see this to see Will Hardy as the coach for for the for the next good Jazz team. And you know, Justin Zennik said that in the press conference on Monday, like when this Jazz team comes around to being good again, they want Will Hardy to be their coach.
Speaker 1: So I carry it may have been Sarah, or maybe it was you asked the question about what type of players that Will would like to see Ada just kind of generally speaking and among the things that Will said, he finished it with the comment, well, we have a lot of talent in the building, do they.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, less than the other NBA teams. I would say maybe, but other than one or two other teams. But yeah, they don't have a ton of talent. I mean, like you know, Larry Mark is good, Colin John Collins is good, calm sections, but like you know, I don't think they see them as with the EXCEP Varry, as building blocks moving forward. You've got Walker Kestler, and you've got kind of six ifty young players, you know. I asked Will variation of that question when the Jazz are playing the thunder to second last game of the year, kind of pointing at one of the things Well said earlier was that he was really interested in Oklahoma City's mentality in terms of getting role players who can kind of provide help to their star players. And you look at what they've done with Jay Mitchell and Aaron Wiggins and Isaiah Joe and you can kind of go down the list even like Brandon Carlsons from Utah right like not even drafted guys who have turned out to be awesome, awesome players for them. And he said, you know, look, they're looking for athletic guys who fit what they do. The jazz, he said, the jazz version of that is that they're looking for smart and tough role players. He use those words over and over again, smart and tough. I don't see a lot of toughness on this roster, and I'm not sure I see a lot of intelligence either, Like I think there are some players who play smartly, and I think there are a lot of players who put themselves in really tough positions and that's why they have, you know, lead the league in turnovers. So I do want to see, you know, and and will be interested to see how that changes, because I don't, you know, I think if you had to describe kind of the ethos of the young prospects that the Jazz have gotten right now, it's that they have shot for upside rather than they've shot for you know, that that toughness or or that intelligence you say on the court, I don't know that I see that right now. So it's going to be really interesting to see how that affects their drafting and role player acquisition plosophy.
Speaker 3: But it's hard to.
Speaker 7: Say that they've had any wins in those areas so far because you know, again you look around the league and you look at some other teams who have had more success. You know, Kyle Philipowski good draft pick, Asaya I call your.
Speaker 3: Good draft pick.
Speaker 7: But like in terms of creating a cohesive on court culture, I don't know that we've seen that.
Speaker 1: One of the things that kind of caught my attention when Will was asked about the offseason plans for his roster is he said it was about Keante, it was about Isaiah, and it was about bryce different variations of they have to be in better shape. They just have to take care of their bodies. They have to show up in camp in better shape.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think with Sensiba it's pretty obvious because he entered he entered the league, was just a body that needed work. As far as getting in better shape. I mean, there is a little Dennis Scott tam I've told you that before. Dennis never really was in elite shape, but he could always shoot it. That was his skill. That's why he was a pro for like twelve years. But Kiant didn't strike me as somebody that wasn't in great condition. And I was a little taken back when he said that about Isaiah as well. But all three of his young wing players basically said they need to come back and elite in better shape.
Speaker 2: Did that catch you off guard at all?
Speaker 7: Not a time I've heard will say that before. I think it's about being able to compete on both ends of the floor at every possession, right and you see frankly, Kyante and Isaiah give up or you know, fail to make that second rotation or you know, and whether that I think maybe some of that is due to endurance and getting in better shape, you know, like and then yeah, you just look at kind of their body and it makes sense because they're first and second year players, But like, I don't think that they have the strength to, you know, fight through screens. Or to fight for rebounds, or to put players off when they're boxing out, like kind of all the quote unquote little things Isaiah and Kyante have not shown an incredible ability to do yet. So in order for them to be plus players, you know, especially on the defensive ends, Yeah, they do have to change their bodies a little bit. And so I absolutely do see what we'll sing there, and you know, I guess Yeah would point to the defensive ends kind of the content an effort that he wants to see and then you know, contrast that to what we thought we actually did see there in their rookie and sophomore seasons. There's just a big gap. They just they do need to put more effort in over the course of forty eight minutes the minute than they are right now.
Speaker 1: So justin Zenik was asked about I think it may have been Ryan who just asked him about all the young players and to kind of run down the list of his thoughts on, you know, all the players, and he kind of went brick by brick and player by player, and when he landed on Cody, he basically said he's smart enough to stand in the right place right He's like, he's got a good brain, and he usually is not out of position. I don't know if that was a stretch to try to put a positive spin on what really was a rough year for the top ten pick.
Speaker 2: But do you jibe with that at all?
Speaker 1: After watching Cody play, does it appear that he at least has a good feel on how to play the game of professional basketball.
Speaker 7: Yeah, honestly yes, And like you see him making defensive rotations that Isaiah do not make, and you know, some of that different position a little bit, but also that's some of that's just like Tody Williams has a better defensive IQ than Isaiah and and code Isaiah and Kiante and brace to and so you see him be in the right place, and then he just doesn't do anything. Like he doesn't go for that rebound, he doesn't go for the strip, he doesn't work to keep himself in front, he doesn't gamble on the passing lane, he doesn't do anything. And it's so you have these really abysmal defensive statistics that also, frankly, were the worry with when he was at Colorado, where you know, super pretty athletic kid who moves you know well on the court, but then doesn't do anything in the statute or on on the court to kind of, uh take advantage of where he is placed. And so yeah, you know, like their their hope is, hey, you get you change the body, you you get stronger, you get more confident, you grow, you mature, and all of a sudden you have kind of the mentality to make those plays. And I think that's possible. But look, if you look at the history of NBA draft prospects who add as bad a rookie seasons as Cody Williams did, you are seeing a lot of abject, outright bust. You know, guys who are out of the league in four years or less, or kind of role player bench kind of types, right, and there's some players who can kind of be optimistic, but like, it's hard to imagine Cody becoming a star at this point. So which is you know, honestly, what the Jazz hopes is that they would at least maybe not an All Star or an All NBA player. But like, you know, someone frankly liked his brother Jalen, who just did make an All Star game. So yeah, it's it was an incredibly disappointing season for Cody Williams. Here's someone I thought could be better than this right away and in the future. And you know, I'm not that. His career is already a bus and he it could turn around for him. And I think he he does think about the game in the right way when I talk to him, you know, over and over again after some of these games, like he is seeing the right things. It's just like, all right, but now you've gotta you've got to actually do it. And we have not seen that at all in his rookieear.
Speaker 1: All right, before we get to the draft, which of And I ask you this, I asked you this prior to the trade deadline this year because I honestly thought they would find a spot for Clark, Center, Collins or Sexton. So we'll remove I'll say the young players. I'll say Walker and younger. Okay, so none of the rookies this year, and none the soft sat walker either the veteran pieces who's back next year?
Speaker 2: Who do you think is gone?
Speaker 7: I mean, I think they will try to move Colin Sexton and John Collins and Jordan Clarkson. Uh, And I think they will listen to offers on Larie Markin and even the problem is what the other teams want to do, Right Like, the Jazz have tried to trade Jordan Clarkson for like four straight trade deadlines for now, and in the end, the league is pretty uninterested at a guy who makes shots at a twenty five like a at a twenty fifth percentile rate making twelve million, thirteen to fourteen a year, right like, even though he's got a descending contract like it just you can get what Jordan Clarkson provides in an analytically oriented MBA at a cheaper at a cheaper contract, right like, So why are you giving up assets and to take on that deal even though those guys are expiring? You know, I think you can make an argument John Collins is is a plus deal right now, and so maybe some team goes after that. But you know, again, if the Jazz would have been able to get a you know, unencumbered first round pick for him at this deadline, they would have done so, and and in fact found that they were not able to do that. So you know, you can have the same conversation about Colin Sexton, who is kind of you know, in.
Speaker 3: The middle of those groups.
Speaker 7: Actually a pretty effiicsion score when you look at the numbers, but then may give it back on the defensive end, and then hasn't really changed the plus minus count. You know, it does say something that he was the only veteran guy that the Jazz felt kind of comfortable playing in a lot of the games to end the season when they were trying to lose. So look, you know, I think it's going to be entirely dependent on what happens with other teams around the league and whether or not they see Colin or John or Jordan as solutions. It's easier in the off season because you don't have the contract is you know, you don't have to necessarily get to the cast. You can you can have extra contracts on your rocks for all that good stuff. But in the end, it's just like, okay, which teams are the ones that are willing to provide value for what John Collins consext and Jordan's Farson provides And what we've seen is that that hasn't been the case so far. I think it's certainly possible that those deals are done and maybe you know, Golden State goes after John Collins or whatever, but now their contracts are tied up with you know, Jimmy Butler, I don't know. It's it will be really interesting because see what happens around the league, and I think a lot of it's determined in what happens in these playoffs. But as of right now, I don't know of teams that are just really excited about the opportunity to acquire the Jazz veterans in this year's offseason.
Speaker 1: It's pretty rare for a rookie, a first round pick to not have their at least third you know, the first option picked up after the three years where you kind of get a feel for what the player is.
Speaker 2: It doesn't happen often.
Speaker 1: It happened with for Dad, with jim Or and Sacramento when after a couple of years they did their calculation, they didn't pick up his option. Is there any world where they don't pick up Keyante's option? I mean next year is like sneaky big for Keyante, George.
Speaker 7: I mean, so you'd be talking about it. As for as your option, I think you still probably pick it up. Like you know, I I don't love Kiante as a player, but I still think like he might be the most offensively talented of the bunch, right Like he he does okay, he does two things. Really he can shoot, like he just can he can hit catch and two shots.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: And he does have the ability to take pull up shots and if you make him two percent three percent more often, then he becomes pretty efficient. And then he does have the ability to draw fouls in the NBA, which is a really valuable skill set right like he is. I believe it was a top twenty five or top thirty foul drawer this year in terms of just per minute. Like it's some good stuff. Like the defense is problematic, and the ball handling is problematic, and the decision making is problematic, and frankly, the like the attitude has been problematic at times. But like, I don't know that if you're in the jazz position at the very bottom, you can kind of give up on the idea of Kiante maturing a little bit.
Speaker 3: So I would be.
Speaker 7: Surprised if they turned down that option. I wouldn't be stunned if they traded him or moved him, you know, like to if they were able to get another swing back, but to just completely give up with no return, Like you know, what, what are you using that roster spot on? That's definitely better. I just don't know that there's a great answer to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, correct, fourth year option after three years of data. It just doesn't happen often, certainly with a player that has shown as much promise at times as Kante. But I do think next year is big for him because I oscillate on my opinion, you know, when it comes to who I think he can be in the league.
Speaker 7: Look, I agree, and look, there's maybe no young player in the NBA that's been kind of force fed possessions and opportunities in the way that Kiante has. Right that being said, you know, like if if you don't if you don't want to win next year, giving Kyante kind of the similar opportunities that he had in previous years is not a bad way to lose some games if he doesn't, if he doesn't improve, and then if he does improve, the then great, you actually might have a good player a building block. So yeah, well, I mean, we'll see what they end up doing with him. I don't think like there is not universal love for Keanty George in the front office or the coaching staff, believe me, but there is. You know, what else you're going to do with that spot that's more interesting, and it does just it doesn't make sense to kind of give up on a player who is it does have a pretty high level of talent given where the jasna.
Speaker 2: All right, two part question about the draft lottery.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you know it has become a consensus, It has been a consensus maybe for about six months, that there is one tier and that tier belongs to Cooper Flag and then there's a tier behind him that maybe in your opinion, contains one two players, and the opinions of a lot of people to do this for a living, they seem to think this is a five player draft of really really good, top tier talents, which good news because the Jazz will have a top five pick. However, Andy, there have been plenty of years where we all thought there was one tier to a draft, and then the better players turned out to be the players that were behind the star that we all thought would be game changing. A good example that people probably remember because it wasn't forever ago, but a long time ago, was the Greg Odin draft. And no matter what revisionist historians want to say today, in two thousand and seven, every general manager who had the number one pick would have taken Greg Odin. The number two pick was Kevin Durant, who obviously has been generational and historic.
Speaker 2: So my question is, you know your thoughts on what.
Speaker 1: Cooper would mean to the team, but attendant to it, is there another prospect that you think in a number of years we could potentially look back and say, wait, that player actually was better than Cooper Flag.
Speaker 7: Oh, that's a good question. I mean, I think given what Cooper did his freshman season at Duke right, like, the floor is so so high on him right that he is at least to be an extremely valuable NBA player. And then you know, if you believe in potential and he's ability to grow, and then he could be, legitimately, I think it's fair to say one of the best players in the NBA. So I think Jazz fans should be excited about their fourteen percent chance of getting Cooper flag Right, like it would change the franchise. He is one of the safest number one picks ever in my view, and absolutely deserves to be there. And then I think kind of the second tier is Dylan Harper, who I think has separated himself from three through five and the rest of the draft based on his production, Like, his numbers finishing at the rim are incredible. His ability to get downhill is great. His playmate, you know, like, he just shows nearly all of the hallmarks of being a really talented scoring guard in the NBA. After that, yeah, then you get some questions and some real upside chances, right like, So, like I could see a world in which a Bailey is a better NBA player than Cooper Flag. It would take a lot for him to improve on, right like, But he does have just an incredible jump shot that he can make contested ones from all over the court. He needs to get significantly smurder and how he uses that skill for opening up other parts of his game, opening up you know, success for his teammates. His defense is actually pretty fun. I think, you know, maybe if the right coaching staff is able to refine that he can be a really two way impact player. But there are a lot of questions, and there are a lot of times when guys with Ace's statistical profile, and you know, I test profiles turn out to be one dimensional scorers who don't actually help you that much. And so that's the worry, you know, I think elsewhere the water, I'm trying to think, you know, is there a chance that like jegor Demon puts it all together and can not only you know, figures out how to have a jump shot and pass like this and moves better on defense. Like I think they're possible, like five percent chance. I'm not sure I'm taking that bet, but uh hey maybe so.
Speaker 3: Look, I don't think.
Speaker 7: It's it's totally impossible, but what you said, But like Cooper is far and away the best prospect in the draft at this point, and it would surprise me to see other players overtaken.
Speaker 1: Last thing, Andy will get a little RSL from you that I'll set you loose another loss. Another week goes by where we're all waiting to see whether or not that the you know, these additions are actually going to get across the line. We are one week away from the primary transfer window closing. My question to you is simple, are you still standing up on your feet and shouting a loud rayal?
Speaker 2: Are you still believing Andy?
Speaker 7: I mean I am still shouting RAYL. I don't know if I'm.
Speaker 3: Believing it all right.
Speaker 7: I look, we'll see what they do in the next week. If they don't send a striker, it's a shifts a tremendous failure and they should be made fun of a lot. Look, I mean, Houston signed a striker today. That was cool. It would be neat if oursel did that. It sounds like txtalled with the Slovakian guy, is what I believe it was. Tom Boger reported it's it's look I mean again, I'm just going off what's been publicly reported. It looks pretty dreary right now. They got walloped by Columbus, Like, and I understand that it was an unlucky penalty at the end. Uh, you lost expected goals battle two point eight to zero point eight. Man Like, it's I don't love it when we when we like celebrate that a game could have been one, if just the rest would have been nicer when you're just getting out shot twenty to five or whatever, right Like, it's just it's tough. So anyway, ourselves just got to be better on the pitch to create more chances for themselves, get better players, and then yeah, you know if this can work out well for uh, you know where they have other good players on the roster, right like Diego Luna rules, the Machanelly rules. I think you know, Raphael Cabral has been awesome in goal. There is a lot of talent on this roster that's currently been wasted because soccer is a weaklink sport and because you don't have to guard right now ourselves attacking, you know, the tip of the spear, the number nine. So we'll see if that changes in the next week. They do have exactly one week left, but it needs change if oursels has any hope to do positive things and you know, real contention things in this year's season.
Speaker 1: But just to be clear, here at the riot, the battle hymns begun, and you're still here for RSL.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm going I'm gonna go all all the games. I'm gonna screen my heart out. I'm gonna flip off the rest as much as I can. It's you know, yeah, I'm all in.
Speaker 2: All right, buddy, all right, buddy, appreciate it. Thanks for the time, will chat soon.
Speaker 7: Thanks, I'm sing.
Speaker 1: Andy Larson stops by today courtesy of our friends at Burt Brothers. With over thirty years of experience and nearly thirty locations, Burt Brothers asse certified technicians bring expertise and professionalism to every interaction. One stop shop for reliable repairs and maintenance, from tires and alignments to fluids and breaks. Tax Day Saving Sale is in full swing. You buy three tires, you get one free on select Goodyear, Fulcon and Firestone tires. Plus get an extra fifty dollars off on purchases over five hundred dollars using the Burt Brothers Card. Tax Day Saving Sale also includes saving forty dollars on your valveline. Excuse me, synthetic oil change stop by a Burt Brothers ile. We got Craig Bowler Jack stopping. Buy the TV Voice of the Utah Jazz. We'll look back on the Jazz season that is now done. We'll look out to the NBA Playoffs with a couple of playing games Tonight. Tonight's win or go home. It's the nine to ten matchup in Pro Basketball. Voice of the UTS Bill Riley stops buy.
Speaker 2: As we prepare for.
Speaker 1: The Forever twenty two game, the spring football game for Utah's on Saturday. Practicing this week, and we do have some news on a new commit for Alex Jensen, so we'll get with Ryles on that today. But the season for the Utah Hockey Club came to an end, and they got shellac by the Saint Louis Blues six to one. Your final, Our next guest, Neil Smith, stops by on a weekly basis to talk to you to hockey club and the NHL.
Speaker 2: Neil, Happy Wednesday, sir, how are you.
Speaker 10: I'm real good to Spence.
Speaker 1: Thanks, I appreciate the time. So we'll start with our local team. Then we'll kind of pan back, and you know, it's interesting, Neil. For all intents and purposes, they were eliminated. Now it's it's it's it's funny because a three or a four point gap with like sixteen fifteen, sixteen games left doesn't feel like a lot, but it actually is. And when they went down and got smoked by Tampa Bay eight zero, they lost to Detroit five to one, and then the loss to the Panthers two one, that three game losing streak really kind of put a nail on their coffin. But they finished the season winning six of their final nine games, including hanging seven on the Predators, hanging seven on the Kraken, and five on the I know the Blackhawks aren't good, but they actually played some of their best hockey to end the year. Even though the playoffs weren't in their kind of in their future. What does that say to you as far as the way they ended the.
Speaker 10: Year, Well, first of all, I think they ended the year good. I think at the Saint Louis game. You can't really judge them on the Blues game when they got blown out, because the Blues wanted that game badly to make the playoffs, and Utah was eliminated already, and you had one team that was just hunting for bear and the other team that was sort of out there with a pop gun because they already knew what their summer was around the corner. But Spence, I looked at some things just to just to make some positive, some positive thoughts about the Utah Hockey club after last season and now after this season. They're minus ten. You've talked about goal differential before on the show, and they are the best the lowest goal differential being minus ten of any of the non playoff teams. So that's one positive. Last year when they ended the season they were a minus eighteen, they're only a minus ten. They finished the year over five hundred and NHL five hundred, both at Homan on the road. They ended the season with eighty nine points. Last season, they ended the season with only seventy seven. The other thing that I want you to take into the people that are listening to take into consideration is that this year, as it stands right now, with one game to go for Vancouver, they're only one point behind the Canucks. And the Canucks last year won the Pacific Division. They were in first place. The Calgary Flames had a great year. They're only five behind the Calgary Flames. And again, had it not been for the Saint Louis Blues having a miraculous run in the last fifteen games twenty games, Utah would have been right up there, digging away with Vancouver and Calgary. But Saint Louis sort of put a kibosh on everybody by just winning twelve games in a row, which is what they did, and blew their way into the playoffs. But if you look at the Western Conference, Utah is one of the clubs on the way up. Because I look at it this way, they're better than they were last year, and there are clubs that aren't as good as they were last year that are on their way down. So you know, as long as we keep seeing the trajectory going upwards. That's all you can hope for. As far as the way the year ended, there's a lot of things that go into that. I mean, it's a young team. You're going to hit losing streaks, You're gonna things like that, are going to They lost those three games that you mentioned, but they're a young team. They've got a bright future. I still say that. I've said that all season and I'm going to continue to say that they have a bright future.
Speaker 1: Quake and Keller are twenty six years old, captain of his team points as a result of grabbing another one at Saint Louis So thirty goals which led the team, sixty assists, which led the team as well. Put that into perspective for us here in saw lake Neil a twenty six year old captain and grabbing ninety points playing eighty one games.
Speaker 2: What does that say to you about this young man?
Speaker 10: Well, I mean, I just tells you where he is. He's an elite class of players. I mean he on my show NHL wrap Around at the beginning of the year, we said who we thought, individually, Vic Moore and my partner and myself who we thought would be who's their breakout player for the season, And I said it would be Clayton Keller. In my mind, that's who I was looking for to have a breakout season, and I think he did have a breakout season. I think thirty goals put you in a really elite class of players. There's not a lot. I don't have it in front of me how many scored thirty goals this year. But that's pretty good to get, and he got it on a team, in all due respect, that didn't make the playoffs. It's one thing to get thirty goals on the Winnipeg Jets. It's another thing to get thirty goals on the Utah Hockey Club who are just clawing and scrapping to try to get into the playoffs. I think he's I think he's a great young player. He's got tons of skill, and he's going to be around a long time and he's going to excite the fans for a long time.
Speaker 1: So at this point, I want you to walk us through, as somebody who was a general manager in the NHL, what are the immediate boxes that Bill Armstrong is checking now? The NHL the regular season isn't even over, let alone the playoffs.
Speaker 2: But the season is over for the Utah Hockey.
Speaker 1: Club, So what's the checklist for a general manager? Immediately right after the season is over. What's happening behind closed doors down there?
Speaker 10: Meetings with their scouting staffs. They'll have a pro scouts meeting at some point here in the in the during the playoffs. They'll have amateur scouts meetings at some time during the playoffs. They're preparing for the amateur draft, which is coming up in June, and then preparing for July first for free agency to decide who they who they want to try to get, and who in the where they stand in the order for the entry draft, and who they might be able to you know, who they might be able to draft. And that's that's the easy stuff as far as it's just what you do. The rest of it will be He'll be probably going to the World Championships looking at the players playing there that are all going to be non playoff players because that's where the clubs get their players from, and uh and and be judging some some perhaps free agents over there, and and continually working and figuring out how to improve at each position on the team. It's not like how do I improve the team in a macro sense, it's more like how I how do I improve our depth on defense? How do I What am I going to do about the goaltending? And thinking through the milk Ingram situation and knowing monitoring that where is that at. There's a lot of work to be done, but for a GM whose team has missed the playoffs, at least you get an early start on it. And so Bill Armstrong is getting a very early start. When you think about the manager of the Florida Panthers last year, Bill Zito, and his counterpart on the Edmonton Oilers, which last year was Ken Holland, they don't get to start to really work on their stuff until halfway through June because they're so occupied with the playoffs and their teams. So the non playoff teams, I guess the silver lining would be that the managers and the staff get more time to work on, you know, improving the club than the teams that go into deeper into the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So this could be taken both as good or bad news depending on your perspective. So as far as the issues that plagued the hockey club that came back to bite them, at the end that did not allow them to either seriously compete or actually grab one of the final two wildcard spots overtime in shootouts, So only the Flames in the Canucks had more overtime losses than the Utah Hockey Club twelve overtime or shootout losses. It either demonstrates that the Utah Hockey Club was in a lot of close games and those games, if you consider them coin flips, might go the other way next year, or they still have a lot of work to do to gain experience to win those close games when they put themselves in positions to win.
Speaker 2: How do you digest that number, Neil.
Speaker 10: Well, you know that the thing is with the overtime, it's a it's a skill competition too, because it's three on three and it's just crazy back and forth. And the foot out is simply, you know, again, a skills competition and who you've got and how much they practice it, and how good you're shooting. You know your penalty shot shooters are and it's all going to come with getting getting better and getting and putting in time. I don't I wouldn't read a lot into that because I think you can find some elite teams that haven't been good in the in the shootout. For example, Vegas is one in five in the shootout in their first place. In the Pacific, you know LA Kings one and three in the shootout. And in the East you've got some good teams that aren't good at either. Carolina Hurricanes are zero and three in shootout and they've got Sebastian Aajo and Seth Jarvis and some other great skilled players. So I wouldn't put a lot into it. It's something that the coach has you practice three on three because you are going to hit that once every four five games. I wouldn't start to worry about that number as much as finishing teams off in regulation, knowing how to getting and putting a system together that says, when we get the lead in the third period, we lock it down. There's no chance you're scoring on us in the third period, coming up with the system that shuts things down. Because regulation wins are the big thing you want. That's the number one tiebreaker when you're heading into the playoffs, and that's where I would be concerned, not about Utah, but I mean as a coach of any team, I would be concerned about that. We know.
Speaker 1: The other interesting thing is because we talked a lot about, you know, the goaltending situation with Mamelcoa and Ingram, and you know, Bill Armstrong spent a lot of money and made some moves to bring in defensive help. And you know, on paper, with Dylan Gunther and Clayton Keller, you probably just assumed that the offense was really dynamic. But the offense was twenty first and goals per game and the power play was fifteenth, which isn't horrible, but it's not good either. So you know, with twenty one million dollars in cap space and with a bunch of picks first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth, I would imagine Bill's priority this year is going to improve those numbers with twenty first and goals per game, fifteenth in the power play. Any thoughts on just positionally, you know, some additions you don't have to get specific with names, but where on the roster do you think they can improve to make those offensive numbers jump a little bit?
Speaker 10: Well, I, first of all, I want to say that I think that the maturation process for Gunther and Keller will come and naturally they will get more goals, and they will get more power play goals. You know, I think that the coach has got to tell you why the power plays in the middle of the pack. I've been watching the New York Islanders all season, as you know, Spence, because I go to all their games and they're thirty one and thirty two in special teams, so to me, fifteen. They would be thrilled if they could be fifteenth. But I get what you're saying. It's halfway. It's halfway down in the league. You know, maybe they're going to spend money to get somebody like Brock Besser, who is the I think is the number one free agent coming up from Vancouver. Who knows where he's going to end up. There's thirty two teams, so you can't say where he's going to end up. But certainly I would think that Bill would look to use some of that twenty one million in cap space and improve perhaps another offensive defenseman, perhaps another you know, playmaking centerman, or something that he and coach Tourney identify as real needs to improve their power play and improve their offensive effects.
Speaker 1: The culture of of pro hockey, the culture of NHL. I wonder how would you articulate this to our fan base here in Salt Lake, where we have a basketball team that often throughout the course of their existence, has had a lot of trouble attracting NBA players to come here to play, and then the ones that they do draft, at least the modern day that turn out to be really good, end up leaving, some via trade, some via demand, and some via free agency. Darren Williams, Gordon Hayward, Donovan mitchell I could go on at a local soccer club signed a striker earlier this year that allegedly did not want to live in Saul Lake.
Speaker 2: So we have a little PTSD here.
Speaker 1: As far as our teams not being able to attract free agency or to attract free agents because we're not a destination, do you think that's anything that we'll get in the way for the hockey club trying to attract talent here or our NHL players a little bit different as far as what they look for before signing with a.
Speaker 10: Club, Well, I think almost all the NHL players, certainly the ones that become free agency, are veterans, and they have friends all throughout the league, and if they don't have friends at their agent represent somebody in the league, or there's a way to find out about a place when you get an offer. So for we were talking about this just yesterday about attracting free agents in New York and how if word gets around that you haven't treated your players very well, nobody's going to want to go there, even though it's New York and you know, New York's been a destination for years, but they've also been the first words you hear out of people is how well they're treated. I'm not saying they're not treated well now, by the way, I'm just saying, if that's the case, I think it all goes into how the players are treated, how first class the organization is, and that they love to live there. I've never heard ever why you wouldn't want to live in Salt Lake City. I've only heard good things about it. It is not Ottawa, Ontario, where it's you know, you're freezing to death all winter long. It is not a small, little, tiny market. It's not Buffalo that's missed the playoffs fourteen years in a row. It's you know, it's not these other places like that. And to be honest with you, it's not Arizona, who couldn't attract free agents because they didn't have the money. They were cheap on every thing they did. That's not the case with Ryan Smith in this ownership group. So I don't think you're going to have those problems. I would be surprised if you had those problems. I don't think hockey players are like that. But they yes, they move around, and yes they want as much as they can make in their contract to judge themselves as a good player. But I don't think you're going to have a situation where nobody wants to come to Salt Lake City. I find that extremely hard to believe.
Speaker 1: Music to the years of residence here who for years have been confused as to why people don't want to live here. And you know me, Neil, I grew up close to where you know you ran teams and I've lived here for twenty plus years. It's good living. I don't necessarily know why folks don't. Some folks don't even want to give it a try, you know, Like, it's odd to me why you wouldn't even want to give a place a chance.
Speaker 10: Well, you know what, sometimes people, as you know, the people, people judge, and they judge stupidly. You know, the Florida Panthers weren't able to attract free agents for years and years, and I mean, my goodness, that's Fort Lauderdale area where they couldn't get people. So I think people have preconceived notions and I don't know what it is, but they you know, they I don't want to go here. There there are NBA players and tell me, you tell me this because you're a lot more dialed into the NBA than me.
Speaker 3: I'm probably the least styled.
Speaker 10: I hear there's they don't want to go to Toronto. They don't want to play for the Toronto Raptors because they don't want to play in Canada. And I mean, I'm from Toronto. Toronto is a is a mini New York. I mean it's it's it's one of the destinations of North America that you'd want to go to. And yet I hear that NBA players don't want to play in Toronto, so who knows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's wild.
Speaker 1: I mean, Toronto is one of my favorite cities I've ever visited, and it seems like all the NBA guys just want to simply be by a beach and most of them want to play in LA or Miami. I don't know, maybe it is the cold weather that scares them away, but yeah, we tend to run into this issue here when it comes to the stick man.
Speaker 2: Look. I've never Neil. I've never pulled any punches.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're not New York, We're not LA, We're not Chicago, we're not Miami.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: And we do have residents here that get a little bit in their feelings when I say that, And I understand, like, if you're looking for a different experience, then maybe Salt Lake isn't for you. But if you're looking to simply focus on your craft in a very safe place to raise a family, you could do a lot worse than saw Lake. And I do think the commitment that Ryan and Ashley and the ownership group have made would be very very attractive for players that maybe don't love playing for owners that are not necessarily as invested. I feel like they're building something Neil with a good group of young players, where maybe the right veterans to expedite the process would look at living in a place like this where they would like this is not unique to us, but residents here have a very very very soft spot in their heart for people that adopt this community and come into town and play really well or coach really well. You know, Jerry Sloan wasn't a Utah and he's a legend. John Stockton, Karl Malone, I could tell you about our local college football teams, Like, if you decide that you want to take a chance on us and you deliver, you walk on water around here.
Speaker 2: I can promise you that.
Speaker 10: Well, and Spence, I want to point something else out. There is no further outposts in the NHL than Winnipeg. And Winnipeg just secured the President's Trophy for this season, which represents number one in the entire league. And their goaltender is American and he's the best goaltender in the league. Connor Hallibuck, he could have gone anywhere he wanted, he's that good, and yet he wants to be in Winnipeg. Mark Schifeley is one of their stars. He wants to be in Winnipeg. Kyle Connor wants to be in Winnipeg. So why do I bring up Winnipeg? I mean, come on, we can't compare Winnipeg to Salt Lake. And yet the players get treated so well there, and the fan base is so rapid, and it's so good in the community with these players that the players enjoy playing there. And it's not like they got to you know, it's not like not enough will come that we can even have a good team. They've won the regular season of the NHL. So I see no reason why this can't happen in Salt Lake. As I said, I've been around a long time. I've never heard a bad word about Salt Lake ever.
Speaker 1: All Right, Neil, before I say you lose, here's how I'm gonna pose the question I want you to give me.
Speaker 2: As we sit here on the precipice of.
Speaker 1: The playoffs, a favorite in both the East and the West and a dark horse in both the East and the West to come out of the Stanley Cup playoffs and maybe lift Lord Stanley's Cup.
Speaker 10: I'm going to say that the Winnipeg I'm going to go to the obvious Winnipeg, that the team we just spoke about, and the dark horse is going to be Colorado. Now, one of those two is going to be gone after the second round for sure, because Winnipeg will play St. Louis in the first round. Colorado will play Dallas. Whoever survives out of Dallas in Colorado will probably play Winnipeg if Winnipeg does what they're supposed to do and eliminate Saint Louis. But that's through the two that I think in the West. In the East, I'm not sure about the Capitals. They came down the stretch, they didn't play that well. It seemed like everything was about Ovechkin's plot, you know, getting that record, and ever since they were focused on that, they really haven't played that well. I'm really not a fan of them going deep in the playoffs this year. I love their team during the regular season, but I'm not sure about that. I think that in that in the Eastern Conference, I love Florida and maybe Toronto could be the dark horse. Maybe for the first time since nineteen sixty seven, my hometown could be a dark horse to come out of the East. The reason I don't say Tampa is because Florida and Tampa are going to play in the first round, and one of those two teams, and they're both fabulous teams, is going to be gone. So you know, that's that's the answer to the question. Florida and Toronto in the East and as I said, in the West, I think Winnipeg and Colorado.
Speaker 2: Why do you tell all of our listeners where they can go find the pod?
Speaker 10: Well, they can find it on any platform. But if you want to look at if you want to watch it and see the guests like Paul Maurice and and Sam Rose and we had on this week, that's dropped. That drops today. I believe we had Sam. That was a fantastic one. You know Sam, Sam forty years doing Ranger games and a great friend of mine from wayback. It's on all the different podcast platforms anywhere where you find a podcast. If you put in NHL wrap around, you'd be sure to come up with And I hope folks are listening, and I hope folks in Salt Lake have really started to enjoy the podcas Cast and listen to it. I got to tell you, Spence before I go, who I was with last night. Please do you'll enjoy this? Mike Richter?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, oh wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I took Mike Richter come to the hockey game with me and he's great. He's such a great guy. And you know, he's he's good, he's affable. You know, take as many pictures as you want, sign autographs and all that, and even without his mask on, everybody recognized him and wanted to talk to him. And this was at the Islander Arena, not at the Rangers Arena, at the Islanders Arena. So it was really fun to be with Mike last last night. And what a great guy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's the best, a legend. That's awesome, Neil, Thank you for the time, sir. Even though the hockey club season's over, do not think you're off the hook. We will be bothering you throughout the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Speaker 2: If that's okay with you, sir.
Speaker 10: I'm happy to be bothered by you, all right.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Be well, thank you, Thank you, all right.
Speaker 1: The great Neil Smith, general manager of the Rangers and the Islanders, one of the headscts for the Detroit Red Wings during the eighties when they were winning everything.
Speaker 2: I always appreciate Neil's time.
Speaker 1: He's got a great podcast, NHL wrap Around, So go to NHL Wraparound dot com if you're interested in learning more about this new league and this new sport. There was a lot of fun to have here for year one and excited for the future of the Utah Hockey Club. Neil stops spot today courtesy of our friends at IFA Country Stores. Have you ignored your lawn care because the weather has not been warm consistently, Well, it's time now to think about caring for your yard. At IFA Country Stores, they have everything you need to care for your lawn, no matter its size or shape. Their four plus lawn care program could promote healthy green grass this summer. Visit with their team of pro turf and landscape consultants that help provide products and services to local baseball and soccer fields, golf courses, parks, and other city properties throughout Utah. It's the same knowledge and care they can share with you about your yard.
Speaker 2: You know, a little.
Speaker 1: Florida Georgia line might go a long way if we're just going to play singer songwriters that seem to be depressed all the time and whiskey is the only thing that makes him feel better.
Speaker 4: So I guess maybe maybe you're looking for a different type of country than.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the deal, good good.
Speaker 4: I was trying to find the hipster country, like what lane that is? So I went like way out there on the last one that was Ringo Star by the way, Wow, I think that's hipster like he's a original like hip guy on the country in two tenty twenty five. This one, I don't know. I listened to like although you think it may be hipster country, it's like just not popular. It's classic, I would say, traditional, or like country in Western so really old gene autry or guys that just play a guitar and sit on a stool like that's I don't know, that's just what I listened.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get a little genautry up in here. So who is that that you just played? That was Theo Laurence. So it's a newer song, newer artist. But yeah, he I mean it's it's just acoustic barstool and guys singing. But why can't they sing about happy things? That's the thing about like some of the country music. But it's always I'll get you, I'll get you. Okay, Please don't just like uplift a little and play little Johnny Cash if you want, play some of the old stuff you listen to. But it seems like and I'm not a country music uh savant by any means, I have more recently just become uh you know, into a place where I embrace it and okay, like give people a chance, don't be such a snob. And it's all like my wife left me, my girl took off, like the crops are in trouble.
Speaker 2: So I'm just gonna drink whiskey and be sad.
Speaker 5: I mean, there is some of those themes. There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 3: Yah.
Speaker 4: I guess you have a point. And there could be maybe less of that, but I don't know. It's it's uh, it's real.
Speaker 1: I guess, well, look sing about the struggle, sing about life, but like let's just mix it up a Look, there've gotta be some fun things.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 5: I got your cowboys do?
Speaker 1: I mean, you're rope and steer, you're at your line dancing, you're square dancing, You're at the Westerner on a Saturday night, hanging out, drinking some beers, meeting some women. And it can't all just be like my woman left me. And so I've got a numb my brain. And so it's gonna be whiskey tonight and bud light tomorrow. Maybe I'm projecting, maybe, and if we need to have a conversation about that, we can have a conversation about.
Speaker 5: It no, actually, no, no brown water for me. All of this year so far.
Speaker 2: I am proud of you. I don't care of last year. I don't care if it was Anthrew Cuberman or whatever.
Speaker 1: I'm proud of you for making that change because you gotta be careful with that stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but y'all, next song, next song, Okay, it'll be country and western stuff, but there'll be a different vibe to how about that?
Speaker 2: So I know you're not a big Zach Bryan guy.
Speaker 1: I know Zach Bryan's like this uber popular country singer songwriter who's not being boxed into country because he's crossed over lines. But it seems like Zach Bryan sings a lot of duets with female country singers, and all the duets are like, Zach, you're drinking so much whiskey. Stop drinking whiskey. And he's like, hey, it helps, and they're like, okay, well, you're ruining our relationship. Like the themes are the same with all the Zach Bryan duett.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're you're not wrong there, and listen, you're you're not wrong about it being like an overarching theme of country music, like there's a there's a song from the eighties. That's kind of playing off that, and it's talking about railroads and you know, your truck and all of this, and it's it's kind of just playing off of what is the stereotypical country song. So I get it. I get it.
Speaker 5: But we'll we'll expand our our horizons here next.
Speaker 1: Fair Enough Supporter is in charge of the music today because I know he gets tired of me ruining his algorithm by sending him songs.
Speaker 2: So we're doing a little country all right.
Speaker 1: We're gonna send you to golf at Mountaindale today, all right, one of my favorite tracks.
Speaker 2: I'll be there.
Speaker 1: Let's see on Saturday, I'm gonna play a little outain Dell Lake on Saturday. So it's the ESPN Festival at Teas. It's powered by the Utah Golf Association. Each day of spring, we are giving away rounds of golf to the best courses in the state. So listen to The Down and Dirty with Scott Mitchell, the Sean o'connells Show, and then this program. The drive was spent checkets from two to six for your chance to win each day from ESPN seven hundred and the Utah Golf Association. Details can be found on ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. So mountainde one of the best tracks. Right up the Canyon, It's beautiful. They just opened last week. I played there. The course is in great shape. Text in eight seven seven three five three zero seven hundred. Maybe we'll ask the listeners to text in their favorite country music artists. Okay, you have a different idea, No, I like that. Okay, I got the rest of them. But the listeners get one choice today.
Speaker 2: One choice.
Speaker 1: Text in a country music song that you would like to hear Porter play on the program today. And if it includes numbing your mind with little bourbon because your woman left you and your cows aren't producing whatever they do, I don't know.
Speaker 4: You've heard my spiel. It's traditional country. It's country in Western So if you if you go down that lane, you may be more inclined to get on the show.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 1: And then if Porter picked your song, he's going to send you to golf and boundell for free.
Speaker 2: Porter stand the mic. Let's do a little college football.
Speaker 1: So Nico Iamaliava, the Tennessee quarterback transfer who's been receiving a ton of attention because he I've heard the term held out and you know.
Speaker 2: If you listen to the show. First of all, thank you, hello, how are you?
Speaker 1: Second of all, For years, I simply have said, ever since the transfer of Portal and the NIL situation became a reality, it is time for the sport to lean into the pro model as soon as they possibly can. And the reason I said that is if you lean into the pro model and allow the athletes to unionize and collectively barred and there's a lot of complications, but what you eliminate are players coming and going every few months, and then you have some uniformity as far as a salary cap or a salary struck. Sure concerning what you can play pay each player. Quarterbacks may be different because they're valued higher, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. It's the same thing the NFL does, and as a result of the landscape of college football, situations like this were inevitable and will continue. So Nico is landed at UCLA now. According to reports, Utah's first game of the season against Nico iam Aliava and the UCLA Bruins, they have a new quarterback. Did you digest this as something overly problematic or do you think as most college football people I respect and I've listened to, seem to talk about, this is just an inevitable part of the changes and the growth of this sport.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is an inevitable step that you know, kind of surprise we haven't seen more of it, and frankly you have if you're in touch with folks around college football. These things are happening behind the scenes in a lot of different places. That's why kids are moving, It's why kids are understanding that they're not going to get a spot on this team. And that used to mean you don't have a scholarship. That used to mean, you know, maybe you're gonna gray shirt for us and be on the practice squad. Now it means you're not getting paid. Now it means you don't have anil collective deal with us. Now you know, it means different things. But it's nothing new in college football. What happened with the Tennessee thing as it went public, and it seemed to me that pretty much from the beginning, Nico approached Tennessee or Nico's people, his agent, whatever the hell it is, because there are no parameters on that and it doesn't there's nothing to tell us who should be making those negotiations. Gave Tennessee a number and Tennessee said no, like pretty early in that process, and then Nico his people were shopping that around. They're you know, hey, our talents are available, and Tennessee kind of said, yeah, we don't. We're not playing this game. We have a number that we can do. It's not that and we don't think you're necessarily worth that is a player. Obviously, you know they had some up and downs over the course of last season, but I think that, really, Spence, this is something we should expect to see more and more of in college football, and Nico probably did a service to a lot of college football players around the country that are going down this path thinking that they have more power than they do at the moment. Spence, your power as a college football player is in the NIL. There's not a collective bargaining agreement. You do not have a players association, you don't have a player's association president. Going out and working on your behalf, you have to look out for yourself and your NIL, and you have to be very careful of not making that something separate from the football team, because then you may be kind of hung out to dry like Nico is. Part of it is owndoing, and part of it just Tennessee saying, hey, not.
Speaker 5: Worth the number that you're trying to give us.
Speaker 4: It's business and a lot of eighteen nineteen year olds are going to learn business pretty quick in the college football world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And part of if you know, if I don't continue down the theme of what I've been preaching for years, and I'll sound like a hypocrite. Part of leaning into the pro model and part of allowing athletes to unionize and collectively bargained does bring a negotiation element to contract discussions that make college football fans really uncomfortable. Like one of the things that I just think is really misguided or all the people that have been piling on Nico for what I perceived to be simply a play to try to maximize your talent. Now, because we're all accustomed to the propaganda that we've been fed for years by decision makers and college athletics where we say dumb things like student athlete, and we use dumb things and dumb words that really are farcical, like amateurism. We're all kind of conditioned to believe that these young men should be grateful just for the opportunity to play college football. Well, if you still think like that, it's time to pay attention because those days are long gone.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like this weird dynamic that's happening in provo with BYU clearly outbidding teams for basketball players. Yet they're in house media and I'm using median air quotes because they actually work for BYU, are being forced to go on social media to further this narrative. It's like, no, it's not about money, it's about love and development and work. Well, okay, like stop stop stop trying to muddy the way. Stop pulling as Steve Bannon when it comes to your athletic department, call it what it is. You are modernizing your approach and you are keeping up with the Joneses with the ability to write checks alongside Kentucky and Carolina and Duke, et cetera.
Speaker 2: And there's nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 1: I just don't understand why you have to convolute the message when everybody can see exactly what's going on.
Speaker 2: Don't tell me I'm not seeing what I'm seeing.
Speaker 1: It's one of the problems with this whole approach of muddying the waters and you know, flooding the zone with misinformation to distract people from what actually is going on. It's a trick in religion and politics that they use everywhere, and now it's heaped into sports, certainly culturally in certain places more than other places. But this whole movement to try to distract people from what's actually going on with BYU basketball, Because what's actually going on with BYU basketball is the Royal Blue Collective, as a result of their nine seven figure donors, has the ability to pay aj debantsas seven million dollars for five months of basketball, or pay the Baylor the guard they got from Baylor three point five million dollars reported by Jeff Goodman, Like, we know what's happening, So don't try to convolute the message and lie to people, straight up fool people and lie to people like, No, these young men care about the love culture of BYU. They care about the family community and the feel around campus.
Speaker 2: No they don't.
Speaker 1: They care about the seven million dollars you're paying for you're paying for them to play, And yes, do they like the ability that Kevin Young seems to have to develop players and the message that he is able to bring them that he coached Devin Booker and Kevin Durant, Chris Paul. If you want to know how to be a pro, come play for me. Certainly that's part of it. But you know what, the bigger part of it is the fact that you can write checks. So stop lying about it. And like everything else has come out of this Nico situation with the college Football Transfer Portal, he simply and maybe he was getting bad advice because again back to the way we're all conditioned to think about college football, Nico was being paid two and a half million dollars to play college football at Tennessee. And because just a few years ago none of these guys were being paid anything other than their stipends and their scholarships, we all hear two and a half million dollars as a nineteen year old to play college football, and we say you should be grateful for what you have.
Speaker 2: Well, look in the mirror.
Speaker 1: If you have the opportunity to leverage your talents to go to your boss to try to get more money, are you going to do that?
Speaker 2: You would be an idiot if you said no.
Speaker 1: So the venom that has gone in his direction is entirely misguided. And if you are that old school guy that says a scholarship is enough value for college football, well you need to find something else to watch, because that mentality is as antiquated and dated as watching a black and white television when you have the ability to watch in all of its glory with the way we can watch TV these days, like it's simply a different time now, And it looks like Nico. I don't know what he got with UCLA, but he is going to UCLA. And so that opening game for Utah football just got a lot more interesting because the world of sports and college football had been on this story. And I have no problem with Josh Heipel, the head coach of Tennessee, essentially sending the message like nobody's bigger than our program. I would imagine coach wit would do something similar. So we'll get back to some of this stuff because Bill Riley's going to join us during the four o'clock hour. But the four o'clock hour of the show has two three timers.
Speaker 4: Utah spring football closes out as Kyle Whittingham and the Utes prep for the annual twenty two Forever Game.
Speaker 5: On Saturday.
Speaker 4: Coverage up at ESPN seven hundred, Sports dot Com, brought to you by Advanced Windows and Jersey Mike's. The NBA Play In Tournament continues tonight at Sacramento plays host to the Dallas Mavericks, winner taking on Memphis Kings and the MAVs on ESPN seven.
Speaker 5: Hundred and seven.
Speaker 4: Tipping off this afternoon, it's Miami and Chicago in the Windy City. Winner of the Heat and the Polls takes on Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Oh a great goal by Kels.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Keller with a goal, and he's at it again in Saint Louis, and the power play.
Speaker 2: Remains red hot and Utah's on the board.
Speaker 4: The Utah Hockey Club closed out the NHL regular season last night with a six to one loss to Saint Louis, ending the year thirty eight, thirty one and thirteen, good enough for it in the West outside of postseason eligibility, but the highest win mark in the franchise since twenty nineteen. In Arizona, any drive in the basket begins with the first step on the court. It's the ultimate power move. IFA Step one crabgrass preventner in lawn food is the first choice for a healthy greenyard this summer shop online at IFA dot co op or stop by one of eighteen Utah stores today. IFA helping to grow the Things you Love. I importer Larsen on Utah's number one sports Talk. It's ESPN seven hundred ninety two point one FM live on YouTube. Man at ESPN seven hundred sports dot.
Speaker 2: Com in that big rug. All right, you don't have to overcorrect?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: What is who is this? What are you playing?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Come on, little Big Rock Candy Mountain.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have heard this one.
Speaker 4: I am as you said, you wanted something upbeat, something happy. I did overcorrect, obviously, Big Rock Candy mountains sing about like lemonade springs and cigarette trees and and uh hey it is a Utah connection, though I don't know if you've been to Big Rock Candy Mountain.
Speaker 5: Where is it at Severe County?
Speaker 2: I have not.
Speaker 4: It's like a big natural some some force form of landmark. It looks like a big pile of candy. I'm sorry, did you did you say cigarette trees?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess you don't have to pay for your stove. Exactly exactly, okay, exactly, all right, we have a big hour coming up for the next hour, we have the only two people in our market to win the Utah Sports Broadcaster of the Year Award three separate times.
Speaker 2: On SNL they have the five Timers.
Speaker 1: Clubs, So on uh, on this show, we have the three Timers Club. And I'm just picturing Craig Bowler, jack in his robe, saying three Timers Club with a stogy and a cigar and celebrating the jazz season that is now behind us.
Speaker 2: Bowler.
Speaker 3: How you doing, buddy, Yeah, Spence's good to hear.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I got a little stogie, You got a little brandy, just kind of warming that up right now, you know it is. It's five o'clock somewhere.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 8: Yeah, sitting back, taking a deep breath on a challenging season and hopeful that we see some progress on May twelfth, and we see something on Draft Night, and we see something on during Summer League and then and on we go. But yeah, challenging season. As you know, we have had multiple chats this year, and you know, I thought we saw some growth after the All Star break, especially with two guys in Koyer and Philipowski. And that's a good thing, you know, as a Jazz move forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I will say you and Thurrell did a really really professional job of handling what was a difficult, difficult year, a historic year for all the wrong reasons.
Speaker 2: As far as the wins and the losses go.
Speaker 1: Let me just stay in the space though, what was what's the biggest challenge lenge of trying to make a product entertaining and look to be fair. There are plenty of close entertaining games, and I do think this is a smart basketball community that understands that when you exist in an ecosystem where the governing body tells its members, if you're not one of the teams it has a chance to win a championship, we actually will reward you if you lose games, then its members are going to take you up on that, and they're going to lose games because that's the ecosystem of how you reward certain teams. So we all know what time it is, we all know what the organization was doing. But for one of the front facing members of the organization that has to present this product to the community, when the community knows that they're unseerious about winning, how does that bring the challenge up in your job Craig.
Speaker 8: Oh wow, that's a great question. I thought COVID was tough Spence in twenty twenty and twenty one when we throw an cold about one hundred games off the jumbo Tron and empty arenas, that was a challenge, But this one was a different one because you just said something very poignant in the fan base here knows what's going on. I think Danny and Justin and Will have all said they understand the.
Speaker 3: IQ of the fan base.
Speaker 8: They've been through a lot highs lows, two title runs, a lot of playoff action, you know, fifty one years now of jazz basketball. I think for me, honestly, I'm trying to do a deep dive in how I kind of approached this with thorough because we had a lot of talks on buses, on airplanes and arenas prior to tip off on what we could talk about that had a positive spin or twist to it, but real so, my point is I wasn't going out as a broadcaster to be one to make it a candy what is it?
Speaker 3: Cigarette and mountain.
Speaker 8: You know, it's almost appropriate that Porter played that coming out right, because look, fans understand, they're smart. I'm not sitting there trying to sell them a bill of goods. I get excited on a big play. Do they have twenty three turnovers?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Do they like to hear that?
Speaker 8: Probably not, But I gotta be real on what some of the issues are. Defense got to be much improved as the next year or two comes about, So I think Thurll and I we try to find the fact that Isaiah was chasing Stockton that was a feel good moment. Philipowski's development. We try to put that, you know, as a positive as well. And I really believe that even Walker Kessler's third year after the sophomore slump, was another big story that we tried to just focus on. We didn't try to make up anything. I wasn't going to be a part of that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I just thought, look, let's be real here it is.
Speaker 8: Let's try to find some positives and then let the fans for themselves see what I'm seeing. And they saw mistakes, they saw growth, they saw potential, but they also saw what we all saw a need for better ball handling, a much bigger need after watching even the play in games. Got to be better defensively, got to commit to be a defensive player in this league, a two way guy and you know, the postseason, as everyone says, I know it gets it's a play on words or you hear it all the time, Spence, but it is a different level of basketball. I mean, guys going to a different mode. Look at Curry and Jimmy Butler last night, seventy five combined. Wow, There's just certain players that do turn it on and perform, and they did last night.
Speaker 3: Do the Jazz have those that combination?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Will they hopefully?
Speaker 8: And you know, I think the future there are some bright spots, but there's definitely need. I think Will Hardy and his post season comments were really straight up, and I think the other thing, Spence, to answer your question, I think I just kind of followed to the way Will approached the media. I don't think he cut corners. I think he chose the right times to really call out the team. He didn't really bury any one individual per se, which kept the locker room intact. So I have to give him a lot of kudos for going through a rough time, but also a guy that says he's committed, and I believe he is. I've watched him and the way he continued to coach down the last ten games. Wow, some coaches or some players may just not care much or even show up, but that team was still has engaged. I can promise you that in the last ten.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this while we're in the space of talking about this odd incentive structure that pro basketball has where they literally offer great rewards for teams who decide to lose on purpose.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's such a weird model.
Speaker 1: It'd be like, Creig, It'd be like if your boss college, you know, was like, hey, look, if you are awesome this year, we are going to give you a massive bonus and you might win Utah Sports broadcaster there. However, Craig, here's your other option. You can bumble through every broadcast. You can be the worst broadcaster in the league, and we are still going to give you a reward. It might not be the reward that you get if you're awesome, because look, the winning teams in pro basketball to the victor goes the spoils.
Speaker 2: That will never change.
Speaker 1: But there's no other industry in the world that actually tells you that if you're one of the worst at what you do, we will still reward you. Is this a structure you would like to see changed because it's an interesting topic because the fact of the matter is there are certain teams in certain cities, namely the Utah Jazz and Salt Lake City that actually do need the ability to add a premier, big time talent through the draft in a way that maybe the Lakers don or the heat down or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: We all know the deal here.
Speaker 1: So it's a difficult juxtaposition because, on one hand, get us Cooper flag at number one and the losing has been worth it. On the other hand, if the Jazz don't get lottery luck and they're spinning their wheels, we're in danger of being a lottery team year in in, year out, like some of the teams in the NBA have been for years that have never been.
Speaker 2: Able to find their way back out.
Speaker 1: So there are pros and cons to what the NBA does to incentivize losing with this you know this ecosystem, but it does lead to unwatchable basketball for about a third of the product in the entire in the entire NBA. So do you like where we're at? Do you think improvements or changes need to be made?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm not a fan because that wasn't the way I was raised. I was raised it could be competitive and if you go out and bust your tail on the field, then the reward is going to come your way weight room in the huddle on those hot days in practice. And that's just the way I think. I think we're in a different era of athlete that has been raised a bit differently, with a lot of aau and you know, I think also, gosh, if I could go to highlight reels at sportscasts around the country on national they kind of applaud just, you know, the remarkable and it's not remarkable every night. Not all the players that play this game have the athleticism or the skill set that Curry or what MJ had or what Lebron does. So you know, they've got to get real about basketball skill. Can you pass? Can you catch the ball? Can you do it to two hand chest pass? Thence, I'm going back to your where you came from on just the real simple basics of the game. Hold the pivot foot. What's wrong with the mid range? I know analytics would say three is more than two, but you know what, it still as part of the game. Three level scoring has kind of disappeared. There's a few Demarta Rosen comes to mind that can still hit a jump shot the low block. You know, play is not that common anymore, like in the day. It's a three ball game, so you know, I think fans will have to adjust along with it. I mean, there's not a lot of defense played except in playoff action. And I think the reason why Boston won a title last year Spence was because of defense. I think Oklahoma City is the by far the favorite to win in my opinion, from what I saw multiple times this year, OKAC is absolutely a blanket of hell. They are constantly at you, and I think that's going to bode well for the Thunder unless you know, an injury happens or Boston decides the flexter their championship muscle again. But I think those two teams, I think we'll see East and West. Those two teams, in my opinion, will be the ones in the finals. But you know, I think, gosh, man, there's so many issues that talk about. I'm not a fan of having the lottery. I'm not a fan of having three teams. They have fourteen percent chance of winning. The Jazz are guaranteed a top five. But you know what, in this world, that's not what the Jazz would prefer, that's not what the fans would prefer.
Speaker 3: Because there's a.
Speaker 8: Kid at Duke named Cooper Flag that quote has been labeled as a potential generational player and that could change things in a big way overnight on May twelfth, e Spence. I mean, bottom line, if that's what happens when they walk out and introduce it, then they'll say it was worth it. And you just said if they don't, then where do you go from there? Danny has a plethora of picks. What he does with that don't know, but I think it's probably and I always think in the summertime that boy, this summer is.
Speaker 3: A big one.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, this one is probably a big impact, a big big, maybe the biggest impact on this franchise since they moved to Salt Lake. Yeah, they got stocked him alone. That was a long long time ago and they were mid first rounders and look what happened. So lady luck has to shine on you somewhere, and I think it's time for the Jazz that had that type of lady luck that they really haven't had last year eight down to ten, what Canner was a pick Dante was the top five. But you have to hit and you have to be lucky, and hopefully the Jazz will have that luck on their side. If they don't and Washington scoots in or Charlotte whomever, then the Jazz probably will have to reevaluate what how they're going to go in their next direction? Right, And I think that's going to be important. I think fans are going to be very intrigued with that. And I will say again as I rambled, but there's so many topics here a plot. Jazz Nation, you were there. They put bodies in that building all year long, watching the process, and I have to applaud them for that because I've been to a lot of arenas even this year, where man, if you're not in the forty five to fifty one category, man you look around like, wow, there's nobody in this building. You know, it has to be manufactured excitement. But for the Jazz Nation jazz fans, I give them a lot of credit. Man. They were there and they watched these young guys grow, and hopefully they saw some things.
Speaker 1: Like totally agree and I do have to wonder, and I honestly don't know. So we're just going to talk about it because this is a community that has a history with his team where part of me feels like jazz fans are always going to show up no matter what. Now, there have been years in the past, ties last year, Quinn's first year, where they weren't very good, and there were some signs here there that maybe they had something with Hayward, maybe they had something with a young go Bear, you know, maybe that'd something with Fave And you know, there were some signs here there, and the building was not full every night during those years. I was on the broadcast team, so I was there every single night. So but you know, there there's part of me that believes that there are so many basketball and jazz fans in our community. And you know, we do live in a city, in a community that has a winter where you know, you just kind of want to get out of the house and do something fun. And it's not Miami, it's not South Beach, it's not La where those fans oftentimes are there for the scene and they're happy to leave to go to the bar or the beach or whatever at halftime. I've seen that aside an NBA Finals game in Miami, we have fans that you know, there's not a plethora of other options at times. So maybe people just want to go to a damn game, and maybe they don't really give a rip as to whether or not the team is on the way up, or they're not listening to sports socc radio. They just want to leave the house. The neighbor got on some tickets and they want to go to a Jazz game. But how long do you think because the dirty little secret, Craig, it is not a secret. The Jazz are not one piece away from being close to where Oklahoma City is or Denver, the Lakers or the Click like whatever, like the West is so good and so deep, and the Jazz are not one player away, even if that player is Cooper Flag. And there is this kind of thing hanging over the jazz fan base in the community that a lot of people believe that we will be in for next year. We're going to be in for what we were in for this year. Next year is going to look a lot like this year. And the other thing that we have to acknowledge is if there's no lottery luck this year and there's no lottery luck next year, how long.
Speaker 2: Is this going to take?
Speaker 1: So as we continue to watch the organization stretch the pain tolerance of the fan base. How patient do you think Jazz fans will be at the end of the day if this thing doesn't get going quick, Spence, that.
Speaker 8: Is really the question of unknown. You know, Will Hardy would be in his fifth year with the scenario that you just outlined right and up for renewal. So even though he said he's bought in three years in yeah, I think he wants to see how this process is going to work itself out. And he he's a hell of a coach. He's really good with the individuals. He doesn't try to coach everyone the same, and I like that because each guy needs his own different approach and there's a lot of different personalities on each team, especially the Jazz. But Spence, that is something that we're gonna have to wait and see. Jazz fans, you said, have always been very supportive. They remember the past and they hope for the future. And sometimes those tickets are sold to Laker fans, Sometimes those tickets are sold to thunder fans. Sometimes those tickets are sold to New York or Miami fans. But I think that the Jazz base that comes wants two things. They want to see the opponent and some of their star players. And I think all of us get a little bit twisted when that particular night. This is where the NBA has to step in on how many nights off does an individual star get right, Because I ran across so many people even on the road, Oh my gosh, they're not playing tonight. Oh my gosh, this is the only game I.
Speaker 3: Could go to.
Speaker 8: That's tough to hear when that superstar player is not going to be on the floor. And I feel for a dad and a son or a daughter and the mother, father whatever on a birthday night.
Speaker 3: Right. The other part of it is, you know, I'd tell you the luck part. The luck part of it is.
Speaker 8: You have to you do have to be lucky like Atlanta last year that went and got Reshaw sche right, And if the Jazz don't get their number one pick, then I think that, you know, Ryan will have to maybe even get more involved in what Danny's strategy is with Justin as well, those three and Will who admitted yesterday that he's very involved in what direction the Jazz go in draft night, which is a good thing. I mean, he's going to coach these guys. So you know, I don't I tell you I said here, and I wish I could just give you an answer like one year, two years. My question to you may be, and what your thoughts if indeed they land the number one pick? Does that accelerate the process because of the excitement and the fact that Danny has picks to maybe move and even grab another lottery pick if he needs to. That's the unknown. What do you do with the picks he gathered for Golbert and Donovan, the number one pick he got for Semoni Fontekiel. You know they're sitting there waiting to be used. But in what way and what time frame? Those those answers I don't have. But it's it's interesting to ponder that right to see if it accelerates the process, right, And that's what I'm anxious to see.
Speaker 1: It's a really fair question to bring up, and it's a really fair point to make.
Speaker 2: You know, the issue as we sit.
Speaker 1: Here today, and let's be very clear things can change at the drop of a hat, is that neither Cleveland nor Minnesota look like they are going to be bad anytime soon.
Speaker 2: I don't think Cleveland's gonna win sixty four games every year.
Speaker 1: But that's a young roster with a new coach, and they're all they're all under contract for a while. So if we look Craig at the incoming first round picks, the jack have six of their next seven of their own. Okay, they have the most favorable Cleveland Minnesota twenty five, Cleveland Minnesota twenty seven, Cleveland Minnesota twenty nine, six through thirty, top five protected pick for the Lakers in twenty seven, which looked really somewhat exciting prior to you know, they just got Luca, right, so that's different. Now they've got an unprotected first from Phoenix in twenty thirty one, and we'll have to revisit that because that's in.
Speaker 2: Freaking six years.
Speaker 1: I have no idea, but what they have in their treasure test right now does not look to be a high. You know, the odds of any of these picks being very high in the lottery are very low as we sit here today, because Cleveland and Minnesota are good and they've got good young players that'll be around for a while. The Lakers have Luca again, We'll put the Phoenix one on the shelf.
Speaker 2: The fact of the matter is on paper, their.
Speaker 1: Best chance to get a high lottery pick continues to be their own pick. Okay, so that's the problem, right, So what does that mean about how Danny and.
Speaker 2: Justin approached this construction? Moving forward?
Speaker 1: Now, we should also acknowledge that the best player on the planet right now was drafted what forty thirty. He looks like his diet consists of Pringles and pp and J's. So you can find a good player in the second round and the best players we've had, yeah, we've and the best players we've had John Carl, Donovan Rudy. I could keep going. The majority of them have been mid first, late first.
Speaker 3: Right, and go go with Paul Millsap.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, right, And so I'm not saying that because on paper it looks like the chances of them getting a really high pick as if today aren't great unless they decide to keep tanking because their own picks could continue to be really good.
Speaker 2: That doesn't mean they can't find good players.
Speaker 1: But if you play the odds, the better players typically are faut at the top of the draft. So if they luck into number one with Cooper Flag, part of me believes that everyone else is on the table, including Lowry. I don't know that, but part of me believes they're going to look at this as Okay, our organizational timeline is the timeline that we have with Cooper, who is a young eighteen year old, and so therefore we are actually starting this process with him, and Lowry at the age of twenty eight doesn't fit the timeline. Walker even at the age of twenty five twenty six might not fit the timeline. Like there's part of me that believes if they get Cooper they actually go all in on a massive rebuild surrounding him, and the timeline starts with Cooper flag at eighteen. But there is another part of me that looks at what they could be if they don't tank, and if they don't rest everybody, and you add Cooper Flag another first round pick, and maybe a couple of vets, and then you say, okay, let's go, let's actually try to see what we have when we play Lowry as many games as he'll play, or Walker, et cetera. Those are the two avs. Craig and I honestly don't know which direction they'll take.
Speaker 8: I don't either, but you know it's possible for either, very very possible. The second one you just mentioned about the young players and Flip and Walker and Isaiah Collier. That's intriguing. With Cooper Flag the timelines you mentioned are intriguing as well. Age is always going to win, Father time is never defeated.
Speaker 3: And what is the value.
Speaker 8: Of any player on this Cavs roster at the moment and marketing the courses is that highlighted player didn't get to see a lot of them this year legitimate back injury early and then basically, you know, the JAD just said let's wait and see what happens with a lot of players down the stretch. And you know, that's a million dollar question that every Jazz fan wants to know, and there's only about three guys really that know it. It's got to be Ryan and he may maybe dictates the future. He owns this franchise, and I think with the downtown development and looking at the Olympics coming in thirty four, you know how important is that as well all to have a base of excitement this time.
Speaker 3: Of year with postseason play.
Speaker 8: Spence, you know this team, had they played all year long, yeah, they probably could have manufactured a play in potentially. I don't think that's a stretch of the imagination.
Speaker 3: But you know, one and done.
Speaker 8: It doesn't get it done, but it still adds the excitement of the moment as the season progresses and something to look forward to. But how deep does Ryan want to go? And how far does Danny you know go as well? In Justin's mindset, it may really dictate Spence the lottery on May twelfth. What direction the Jazz want to go? I think it's it's huge for this franchise. You know, maybe one of the top two or three moments in franchise history. I don't want over you know, I can't say it's number one. I mean, you had the Miller's, you know, save the franchise, you had Ryan and Ashley buy it from them. I mean there's some mega moments in this franchise. To stay in Salt Lake, by the way, and this one, this one's right there, This one's big. I always say summertime is always fun to see what direction each franchise goes. But for the Jazz fan base, this is big. And if the number one pick happens to be the kid from Duke, it could change direction. If it isn't, then they're going to have to probably rethink. I'm sure though, up on a board somewhere they've got all these options. I'm thinking that's the way that you know, Danny works and justin They're always thinking about different scenarios. But right now, the focus is on that number one pick, and you know what spends fourteen percent doesn't sound all that much, but it does when it comes down how you break it down with everybody else, right, the other thirty teams in the league, So three teams have the best opportunity to grab the number one. In the NFL, as you mentioned, NFL, if you're the worst team in the league, what happens you get the pick right In the NBA, it's not that way.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure.
Speaker 8: I'm sure the league's talking about some of these other issues we talked about too. They tried to make the All Star Game more functionable, more watchable, and I'm sure that Adam Silverwill has some discussions as we speak about how they're going to stay active with these players and how teams are going to be Can they reward teams for wins?
Speaker 3: Can you get another pick if you win fifty? I don't know.
Speaker 8: Those are just ideas, but you know, I'm sure that's being talked about right now and all summer long.
Speaker 1: All right, baller, before I say you loose, I'm going to hold you to one name the biggest bright spot, whether it was a surprise, whether it was growth, whether it was you know, just a player that you would say to the fan base, this is the guy that impressed me the most this year.
Speaker 2: And why who would you go with?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 8: And right off the top, and you said that to me. Two names popped in my head, actually three, but I'm going to go with Collier just because of the pace he plays with and the fact that he is his brain is wired to be a point guard and to share. He led all rookies with six point three assists a game. He was near double figures and scoring. I think he's a bulldog mentality. I think he has a grit and a grime the Jazz need, like a Desmond Bane. He's not the biggest kid in the world, but he's strong and I think he changes the look. He has to improve, as Will echoed, and we all see it. You know, he went from sixteen seventeen percent from downtown to about twenty five from three. That's got to jump another ten points. Ten percentage points. And also he's got to be more dedicated to defense. That's where everybody in the league, and not only the Jazz, but I think defenses does win championships in the end.
Speaker 3: So Isaiah just popped in my head, flip.
Speaker 8: I can't help but like as an early second round pick, he grew big time and proved a three point shot on the run after the All Star and he seems to have a little bit better attitude and a voice. Spence, I don't know what you saw, but that's kind of those two guys, and again Walker's growth after a tough sophomore season. Those three guys jumped down at me the most. But Isaiah, you know, is he a starter in this league? Yet to be seen? Could it be a dynamic six guy? Yes, I think so. But I like his attitude. I like the fact that his voice. He started to use his voice more. And as a rookie I can't imagine coming into a veteran situation trying to, you know, be a guy that says, hey, follow me. But I think his play on the floor was enough to say, okay, guys, look here, I am let's roll. And that's that's a good thing. And I think Will Hardy's looking for leadership, as you know.
Speaker 1: All right, my friend, Well, I was hoping to hear the sounds of either slot machines in the background or maybe waves crashing on the shore. Because you deserve some time off, so I'll let you get back to the road, the brandy and the stogy. Craig, thank you for the time, my friend.
Speaker 3: All right, man, don't be a stranger.
Speaker 8: You know, sometimes I'll have to walk into the studio and just to air my air my just to get you know, just to get it on the table once in a while.
Speaker 2: It's an open invitation, buddy, you know that.
Speaker 3: All right, pal, Good to talk.
Speaker 1: To you, great Craig Bowlerjack TV Voice the Utah Jazz stops about today. Courtesy of our friends at IFA Country Stores. If you've been ignoring your lawn because the weather hasn't been super warm this spring, it's time now to consider it. IFA Country Stores has everything you need to care for your lawn, no matter its size or shape. Their four plus long care program can promote healthy green grass this summer. Visit with their team of pro turf and landscape consultants that help provide products and services to local baseball and soccer fields, golf courses, parks, and other city properties throughout Utah. It's the same knowledge and care that they can share with you about your yard only at IFA and online at IFA dot co op. All right, we continue a very big, important hour with Bill Riley coming up on the other side, probably the last day of that year, in charge of our musical selection. But there's a method of your madness here. Vince Gill is the artist and Bill Riley is our guest. So what's the reasoning here? I'm gonna let you explain it.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 4: I guess not much of a hipster country thing like you were saying, No Vince Gill, Bill Riley, lou stoppelgangers.
Speaker 5: Oh, there's some certain pictures of.
Speaker 4: Vince Gill you can find, and it looks like Bill Riley belting out of country too.
Speaker 2: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling that our next guest is going to take on bird with that. Bill Riley joins the program. Have you ever heard Ryle's that you look like Vince Gill.
Speaker 8: I've had people stop me in airports and places saying I look like Vince Skill.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 3: Porter Larson is on it. Today.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, well we're continuing Ryle's a very important hour on the program because last segment we had Craig Bowler Jack who has won the Utah Sports Broadcaster the Year three times, and you Bill have one Utah Sports Broadcaster the Year three times. Have you guys been able to get together with the robes in the andy and the stoves to celebrate.
Speaker 8: Yet we were going to come in studio and where are Hugh Hefner smoking jackets? And if Steve Johnson would let us maybe fire up a stogy, have a brandy sniffer, one of those type things.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go out and limb and say Steve probably wouldn't be thrilled if we're just smoking cigars in the studio, But your point stands. My follow up question is have you guys cultivated the handshake like they have at SNL for the five Timers Club where you just go one, two, three, You're great, You're great.
Speaker 2: Have you and Baller done that yet?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 8: But I will let you know.
Speaker 3: I will let you know that someone that you know that is.
Speaker 8: Close to you may or may not have shared a secret handshake with.
Speaker 3: Me that you would know.
Speaker 2: Oh no, was it Morgan.
Speaker 3: It was just not Scaley. No, it was that Scaley.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna tell me who is share the name.
Speaker 8: With you off air because I don't want to. I don't want to out him publicly.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, just so you don't want you share the name. He's getting dinged. We're kicking him out because that's not allowed. Bill, that is not allowed.
Speaker 3: He's one of your guys, though, he is one of your guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, now my mind is spinning, but we shall move on.
Speaker 3: Bill.
Speaker 2: How you been man? What's going on with you these days?
Speaker 3: I've been good. I was hoping.
Speaker 8: I'm glad that Porter brought me in with Vin skilled today. I was hoping for some third eye blind though, No, we.
Speaker 1: Hit our quota. Porter got loose with the third eye blind. We had like five third eye blind socks the other day. But let's let's get an update. You know, obviously you're busy up there, and it's a new it's a new world. So it's been a while since we've checked in with you as far as all of the things you have going on as the director of Broadcasting at the University of Utah.
Speaker 2: Let's get an update.
Speaker 8: There a lot of baseball as of late. Did some softball yesterday Weber State and Utah softball. Lots of prep going on for the big spring football game coming up on Saturday, a chance for Utah Angewhich. I'm sure we'll talk about her momentarily. We'll get to see Devin damp here in all this glory and the rest of Utah football, and just kind of winding down the season a little bit and then really ramping up for next year. We did we're on our way to about fifty events this year on ESPN Plus, and next year we'll have in the neighborhood of one hundred and ten to one hundred and twenty events, So it will be it will be a big lift next year.
Speaker 2: Very nice, very nice.
Speaker 1: So let's stay in the football space, and let's start the football portion of the conversation with the fact that the transfer portal has once again opened up, and it's a small one. I think it's only ten days. I think it'll close on the twenty fifth. And you know, you hear some of the interviews and some of the sound from coach Wit and others, but what do you anticipate, if anything, Utah football doing over the next ten days.
Speaker 8: I you know, when spring football ends this weekend, they'll probably be some departures for the program.
Speaker 3: You know, that's always going to be the case.
Speaker 8: Some of the guys that figured out that they are not in the two or the three deep and they probably want to move on to go someplace where they can play.
Speaker 3: I think Utah.
Speaker 8: Will probably be a little active. They've always been a little active in the spring portal, and I could see them targeting some folks. I could see them maybe adding a little bit.
Speaker 3: I don't think that they're.
Speaker 8: Necessarily going to be out hunting for somebody that's going to be an a one top line starter, but I could see them probably looking to add a little bit of depth on both sides of the ball. I'm not sure where it would be yet. Got to talk to Jason Beck and Morgan Scalley after football kind of wraps up in the spring. But I wouldn't anticipate, as they've been the last couple of years, I could see Utah probably going out and do it a little shopping and probably adding some depth on both offense and defense. You know, I wouldn't expect double digits, you know, I'd probably expect maybe a handful of guys, four or five guys, maybe they would add the portal, But again that's just guesswork on my part.
Speaker 1: What about wide receiver because just you know, on paper and look on paper, there are so many new players that we still need to kind of understand what sort of hand we've been dealt. And honestly, Bill, you know this, we won't know until fall. You know, spring is spring and springball springball, and I'm excited to be up at Rice Ecles on Saturday in the spring game Forever twenty two. Game is always fun. Go to Utah Youth dot Com for tickets. But just on paper, and then what coach Witt has said during media, it feels like wide receiver might be a position of need. What tell me your thoughts on that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think they're trying to I think they've got numbers right now Spence, and I think what they've been trying to do through spring and that's why it's going to be interesting for me to talk to Beck. I'll get a chance to talk to him over the next day or two leading up to the game is where are you're at. The one name that's come up consistently through spring football has been Zacharias Williams Zack. They call him Zach now, but Zach Williams I think has kind of separated himself as kind of the wide receiver one as the guys that they have right now. But they've got a bunch of other guys, you know, Zipper Or who's been in the program, Otto Tiya who's new to the program, the Ryan Davis kid who came from New Mexico. With Jason Beck who's been in the Pro. There's some guys that have been there. But I think that they're trying to figure out what the hierarchy is. So it's gonna be really interesting for me to be able to talk to Jason Beck and see what he's seen over spring football. But to your point, because there haven't been a lot of names that have really jumped out, it wouldn't surprise me if maybe wide receiver was an area they look. Now, you know, here's your problem at wide receiver. Your problem at wide receiver is the elite guys are probably on teams, and if an elite guy comes out, then you're gonna you know, it's going to be a bidding war for somebody like that. So I think that they would look to add somebody who's probably got a little bit of a resume already that's probably played and produced some places. But I think wide receiver might be an area that they could look. But I'll find out a little bit more after the talk. I am able to talk to Jason.
Speaker 1: Beck, tell me what you're hearing about Devin about Devin damp here. And you know, we've had an opportunity over the past couple of months, both Jason Beck and coach with and Morgan too, who joined week. But I you know, I asked Jason and I asked Kyle this too. I'm not sure how much he loved it, but I asked both of them like Devn's the guy, right like based off of just the difficulty. Certainly the health has been the biggest thing. But you know, we certainly have a Utah football fan base that I think at times were frustrated with the lack of information and the ambiguity surrounding your starting quarterback under center. And I'm not putting that on any one person. And I will maintain that Cameron Rising should never pay for a beer again in Salt Lake and should be remembered as a legend as he exits stage left. But you know, Jason said, yeah, the jobs devns and Kyle said, yeah, if we were playing tomorrow, Devon's our starting quarterback. So at least there there's no ambiguity around the decision, at least as of now. Tell me what you're hearing about the progress of Utah's quarterback Devin dan Pierre.
Speaker 8: He's he's spectacular spence in the times that you had a chance to watch him and I've had, I've been able to get over to a number of practices.
Speaker 3: He is electric.
Speaker 8: I can't think of a quarterback has had in the last twenty five years that's comparable to his skill set. And I say that from an athleticism standpoint. As good an athlete as Tyler Huntley was, Devin dam Piers a better athlete than Tyler Huntley. He's just got the ability to do and move and do things that other quarterbacks haven't been able to do. Now again, he's doing it in practice against the defense that's been relatively vanilla. You know, Morgan Scalty will dial it up from time to time, but he is a very unique athlete and his passing and I watched a lot of his stuff from New Mexico a year ago. His accuracy, at least in practice and on the practice field looks like it's gotten better to me. But here's the thing, you've got to love talking to the coaches up there. He is a leader already.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: Some of that has to do with the fact that he knew the offense coming in. That's the leg up he had on everybody else. But he is a guy that people have kind of been attracted to. He's been kind of a a teammate magnet, and he is most deadly a leader on the field and in the in the in the in the classroom as well, in the in the in the film room, and in the offensive meeting room.
Speaker 3: So I've not heard.
Speaker 8: One thing on or off the field that is in any way, shape or form negative about Devin dan Peer. He has been really impressive this spring with his new teammates.
Speaker 1: When it comes to just the dynamic bill of spring football, what over the years, since you've been doing this for as long as you have, because you're really old, what are some of the things that are real that you would say to the fan base, Because for me, it's always just been an excuse for those of us that are in the space to do this for hours every day, to actually talk college football in the spring, and for college football fans that are chomping at the bit always because they're crazy people.
Speaker 2: In addicts a reminder that it is coming back.
Speaker 1: But what are real things that the coaching staff is trying to implement that we can actually learn from spring ball.
Speaker 8: Well, I think it's athleticism more than anything else, and football moves. It's not that somebody breaks a fifty yard touchdown in practice. It's how they break the fifty yard touchdown. A guy like way Sean Parker who's able to he looks the part of running back one. They've got four really good running backs on the team right now, but Parker looks different than the other three. Maybe that's because he had a really good freshman year at Washington State. But I think when you see guys out there, athleticism and the freakishness that some of these guys possessed, that's what flashes for you. It's not the fact that they score a touchdown or they do well against the ones or the twos. It's when you see a guy come out of a break and he leaves the defensive back of the dust or you see a defensive back make a break on a ball and make a really nice play against the first team offense. To me, I don't look at the overall results because again, those can come and go, and in football, it's how they got there. It's how they made the play. It's out jumping somebody or outrunning somebody, or just looking the part. So that's to me what usually translates. It's not that they, oh, they had a ninety yard touchdown run. That's not it for me.
Speaker 1: I asked Morgan this question last week, and you know, it was a typical coach answer, which I expected when it comes to preseason expectations.
Speaker 2: And look, we all know the truth of the matter.
Speaker 1: Coaches and players tell us they don't read, they don't listen, they don't watch, and they do they pay attention. And certainly in this day and age where we all have computers in our hand and the ability to be inundated with information twenty four or seven, you're going to be curious about what other people are expecting from you in this ecosystem. And last year, everybody expected you tough football to win the Big Twelve. Everybody expected you tough football to go to the expanded CFP this year, Bill, the pressure to do that is not there at all most of the way too early, big twelves have Utah about mid tier, about mid table, five, six or seven. Does the lack of pressure take anything off the plate of these players and coaches? Because coaches, whether it's Kyle or Kilani, we always hear the moniker in the message nobody believes in you play with a chip on your shoulder. Remember everyone picked us six, seven, eight, not one, two or three. Does the lack of pressure do you think it bodes well for Utah football this year?
Speaker 8: Maybe a little bit, Spence, But what I would say is there's a lot more internal pressure. I think the lack of results, or the lack of usual results last year dials it up more internally because the bar has been set so high within the program. I can tell you Kyle Whittingham and those guys on that staff were really disappointed with how last year played out. Some of it was out of their control, like injuries. But you know, a five win season is not you know, good by Utah standards, and so I think that there's a lot more internal pressure this year to have a bounce back year than there was any kind of external pressure even last year, because you know, Kyle Whittingham is not going to coach forever, and I don't think that he wants to have back to back down years toward the end of his career. So I just I think there's a lot more internal pressure to do well. But here's what I will tell you too, And I think you and I may have talked about this on prior hits about spring football. There's a real energy and a real kind of vibe around this team this spring, and I think some of it's the disappointment of last year, but I think some of it's the new blood and the new energy that stuff, you know, that that kind of Jason Beck and Micah Simon and Mark out to Why have brought in with the offense. And I think with this new offense, it's kind of brought a little bit out of the defense as well. So yeah, going back to your original point, I think, you know, externally, there's not a lot of people talking about him, though some people are, but I think there's a lot of internal pressure to get back to where they've been the last couple years.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really interesting you reference that because I had a list of things I wanted to kick the tires with you today, and one of the things I wanted to ask you about is, you know, you listen to Kyle Morgan. You know, you listen all the coaches after practice and during their media availability, and ninety nine percent of it is coach speak. Ninety nine percent of it is just kind of them filling their obligations, and I get it.
Speaker 2: But sometimes Kyle will say some things.
Speaker 1: That kind of, you know, make me perk up a little bit as my my antenna's buzzing a little bit. And on a number of occasions, Bill, not once, not twice, multiple times he has said there's more positive energy in this building than we've had in quite some time, which struck me because Kyle's not one to run down former players. I'm not saying he's doing that, and he's not one to run down form or whatever, but just his expression of this positive energy around the club the football team has caught me. It's just got my attention on multiple times. So elaborate on that and maybe specifically what you've seen and felt from Kyle himself.
Speaker 8: I just think that there's some people that I think the new offensive staff brought a new offensive energy and kind of a new excitement around the program, and that certainly jumps start of the offensive side of things, but I think it's been kind of contagious on the defensive side as well, because they're seeing all this energy in this everything that's going on over there. And I think there's some of it too, is there's a lot of new faces on this team.
Speaker 3: There's you know, your roster, whether you're Utah.
Speaker 8: Your BYU, or your Tennessee or your or your Alabama, you're turning your roster over. So I think some of the new faces to go along with some of the new energy on the offensive side and some of the new terminology has really done that. And I think it's permeated through the players and the staff, and I think the head coach has felt some of that too, and I think there's an excitement about that. I think when Kyle decided he was going to come back and coach again, I think he felt a little re energized by it. So I think he's brought that with it.
Speaker 1: All right, a couple of minutes least, So let's do a little basketball. As Alex Jensen will potentially be coaching his last game with the Dallas Mavericks tonight, so you know, potentially we'll see that they win. They're going to maybe have one other game, but Alex might be a week away from leaving Dallas behind and moving here, moving back here well where he will be the seventeenth head coach in the history of the Utah men's basketball program.
Speaker 2: Before we get to the specifics, bill from your.
Speaker 1: Vantage point, thirty thousand foot view, about a month, month and a half of Alex's tenures so far.
Speaker 2: What are the main takeaways.
Speaker 8: Well, I think that he's finally beginning to get his staff in place, and I think that's important. I think the HighRes this week and getting close to completing his staff are big. I do know, though I don't know a lot of exact names, I know that they've had a lot of visitors on campus. I know that the coach, the staff that's here, Chileas the GM, some of the other staff members are really working hard right now.
Speaker 3: So I think that they're they're vetting.
Speaker 8: I think they're doing their time, They're kind of doing the work in vetting these guys. I don't think they're just going out willy nilly and grabbing guys because I think that they want to you know, as Alex has said, and I think he's probably said it with you and said it on Sean's show too, he wants to build it the right way and doesn't want to just grab guys for the sake of grabbing guys, because I think we've seen how that's worked in some other places and it doesn't necessarily work. So I think that the I think he's had a plan. I think a lot of people have maybe not necessarily felt it because he's not here full time. But the sense I've gotten is he's working a lot behind the scenes, and he's got the staffed in place. It's working too, So I think as he's filling out this staff, I think we're going to be starting to see more and more players.
Speaker 3: I think we've got, you know.
Speaker 8: Four commitments right now, or four guys they got a commitment today according to some of the reports, and then you've got Dawes and Terence Brown and James Occono who have committed publicly. So I think that some of that stuff is good for them. And I think it's very interesting to see, you know, how he's putting this thing together. But I like the pace instant that they've come forward with.
Speaker 2: Does it feel like there?
Speaker 1: You know, we talked about the positive energy on the football side of things, and I didn't talk to one person who felt like Market landed on the right the wrong choice with Alex. It's one of the rare hires for my prism where everybody felt It felt to me like everybody was on board. Do you have any context as far as the positive energy around the basketball program, whether or not they're receiving phone calls for season ticket deposits and you know, a basketball community build they're quite frankly has been more or less dormant since Rick left. If we're honest with truncated moments here or there, what has been the buzz in the building around the new era that we're in now with Alex Jensen as the coach.
Speaker 8: Everybody here is excited about expense. I haven't talked to ticketing per se about you know, whether their ticket numbers are up, but I just know that there's a real buzz and talking to some folks in the Crimson Club, they've gotten great feedback and positive vibes from it two, So I think everything has been really really positive. As you know, I mean Alex is beloved here as a former player and for just a local guy that's got such great ties. But everything to this point in time that I've heard or been talked to about is really positive about the hire.
Speaker 1: Last thing, what to you will indicate next year? Because I've been asked this a million times, And first of all, we don't know who the players are going to be, so it's impossible to analyze how good the team is going to be. But if you look at what the Big twelve could be next year, Houston is going to be impossible.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: They've got a bunch of transfers coming in to replace some of the players that are leaving. Your rock Chop Jayhawks are bringing in a tremendous amount of transfers and talent byus open up the checkbook. And there's a rumor that they're going to grab the Williams kid from Texas Tech, which might make them a top ten team in college basketball next year. So I'm trying Bill to be very diligent to set expectations. You're one, so Alex doesn't get a bunch of heat on him if he's not one of the top four or five teams of the Big Twelve. So just generally speaking, what will you look for next year to indicate that this thing is at least moving in the right direction.
Speaker 8: But I think it's being competitive into Big twelve and winning games on the road, and being you know, being in contention for, you know, being in the top half of the league, because if you're in the top half of the league, you're then in contention for an NC double A tournament birth. So it'll be interesting to see, you know, once the rosters put together, how that looks. But I think that's progress. I think being in the top half of one of the best leagues in the country and also being talked about, you know, when joeln already's putting bracketology and stuff together. That's that's important too, because I think that's the standard that you know, Mark Harlin and and Taylor Randall said they want to be an NC double A tournament team. So I think competing for an NC DOUBLEA tournament birth and being in that conversation, that's progress.
Speaker 1: Wednesday, June twenty fifth, the NBA Draft will take place, and a little birdie tells me that we might see the triumph return of the former program director and longtime host over here at ESPN seven hundred to do a little radios can you coroborate those reports?
Speaker 3: Bill?
Speaker 8: You know, it sounds like I was extended an invitation on the air while I was listening to Third Eye Blind and you and and Porter talking the other day, A chance to be in studio with you and Gordie to talk about the draft. I mean, I you know, maybe at full six, maybe we do just six seven hours, go into the wee hours of the morning. It sounds like something that would excite me.
Speaker 1: Love to see it, love to hear it. We'll look forward to catching up with the Bill. Thanks for your time today and have a great week.
Speaker 3: Okay, see you Saturday expense.
Speaker 1: Bill Riley, Voice of the Utes. Saturday is the spring game Forever twenty two game. Go to Utah Utes dot com for tickets. We gave you a chance. We gave you a chance all day long to play your music during our bumps, and.
Speaker 2: I think we made it mistake.
Speaker 5: You may have made a mistake. Well that's up to you. It is subject.
Speaker 2: It's on me. Uh who's this? Who were we entering the five o'clock hour with?
Speaker 4: Oh, just the late Luke Bell which you are disgracing the name of Now that's okay.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't disgrace the name that I've never heard before. Who is Luke Bell again?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Less or no?
Speaker 4: Less or No, but I really really good album that he released right before he passed away super young.
Speaker 2: So oh that's sad.
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 1: Is this the song that a listener selected that you decided to send golfing?
Speaker 4: No, we got one more for that, all right, okay, no, this one was you wanted something that wasn't like sad? Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, every song you played before was the guy whose girl left him and so he's drowning himself in whiskey.
Speaker 2: It was a little sad. Yeah, yep, but we move on.
Speaker 5: It's okay. It's not for everybody.
Speaker 1: So before we say good night, and in about an hour, you will play the song that a listener selected that you picked to send golfing. Yes, all right, fair enough. Five o'clock hour of the program today.
Speaker 2: Sure I will.
Speaker 1: I mean, so far you're zero for ten, but you know what, different strokes different folks.
Speaker 2: It's all good. I'm trying to embrace country music more than I have my entire life.
Speaker 1: Five o'clock out of the show Today is brought to you by Friends at Advanced Window Products.
Speaker 2: Here's the deal.
Speaker 1: You can get twenty five hundred dollars off when you purchase ten windows or more. Advanced Window Products is a local, solid company operated by Nate Orchard, our guy who is the Mayor of sack Lake City and of course span about eight years in the NFL business partner Jake Wherever.
Speaker 2: They're just the best people.
Speaker 1: So bottom line, call Advanced Wintle Products at eight one eight five zero ninety one hundred or visit Advancewindows dot com. Don't miss out on twenty five hundred dollars off when you buy ten windows or more. So call the Mayor of sack Lake City today at eight one eight five zero ninety one hundred. That's eight one eight five zero ninety one hundred Advanced Window Products, Building, installing and guaranteeing the best windows in Utah. All right, So NBA basketball last night. NBA basketball tonight, the play in tournament continues. We saw really fun game last night as the Golden State Warriors were able to take care of the Memphis Grizzlies.
Speaker 2: But it was not easy, one twenty one to one sixteen.
Speaker 1: It combined seventy five points from Jimmy Butler and Stephen Curry, but Memphis counterpunched over and over and over, and Golden State needed a real vintage Steph Curry fourth quarter where he scored fifteen points at three threes to get that done. The Orlando Magic ran away from the Atlanta Hawks one twenty to ninety five after a pretty competitive two and a half quarter stretch.
Speaker 2: Orlando just overwhelmed them.
Speaker 1: So tonight we move over to the nine to ten matchups where it is a true lose and go home. The Heat and the Bulls are about to tip off the United Center in Chicago. It's the third straight year the Heat and the Bulls have played in the play in Tournament. And then your late night game is at the Golden One Center in Sacramento, California, where the Dallas Mavericks and Alex Jensen will be playing the Sacramento Kings. Kings win, Dallas goes home, and Alex will be done with his stint with the Dallas Maverickson. We'll be here coaching the Utah Utes men's basketball program pretty quickly. Of course, he's been doing a lot of work behind the scenes, and we did receive news today that Alex and the Utah basketball program received a commitment from Kendall Sanders, IMG forward, who I guess visited the campus last week. The transfer portal in college football open today. No news on any utes at this point, BYU did have five.
Speaker 2: Players enter the transfer portal.
Speaker 1: Bill Riley, voice of the Utes, joined us last segment and he brought up a good point. So after this weekend, Utah football will have their spring game on Saturday. That Forever twenty two game coming up on Saturday, so I'd love to see you there. Go to Utah Utes dot com for ticketing information. I would imagine after the spring game Monday of next week, we will hear Utah football players entering the transfer portal. Coach Wit did some media today and he kind of alluded to that possibility. The bottom line is every team will lose players, and once the two deep comes out, and once spring football is kind of behind us and these players understand where they're at on kind of the pecking order, then they're going to make their decisions. So at this point, Kendall Sanders is the sixth player on Alex Jensen's roster, James o'conquo, Terrence Brown, Keanu Dawes.
Speaker 2: Of course, that we saw play last year.
Speaker 1: Eb Treori and Alvin Jackson are the players on Utah's roster right now, six players, So Alex still has nine open roster spots to work with and this is going to be a slow build. Ultimately, we are seeing the staff round out a little bit. Wes Wilcox, your general manager. Rafael Chilius added as the lead assistant. Apparently Rafael Chilius is the one that had the relationship with Kendall Sanders.
Speaker 2: Remember when coach Chilius was hired.
Speaker 1: That was kind of the mo that people use to discuss him when it comes to his reputation around the world both high school and college basketball. Spent some time in the pros as well. Martin Schiller was named as the third assistant coach Alex's staff. Of course, as this staff continues to kind of round out a little bit, Martin Schiller is the one that is thought to have a bunch of connections overseas as he coached the German national team with Alex by the way, so that's kind of how they got to know each other. So the staff filling out players filling out. Six players have signed on the dotted line, leaving nine different players available with the open roster spots that Alex has to work with, so I referenced BYU Football. Utah football, with the transfer portal opening, BYU had five players announced that they will hit the transfer portal as of right now. And you know, I don't know that any of these players are really anything that BYU fans need to worry about ultimately. You know, these are players that after spring ball we're probably told like, this is kind of the deal. So if you're not going to play here, we would welcome me to go find another place to play if that's what you're interested in. And that's what any good coach would do when it comes to communicating with his players.
Speaker 2: So final week of spring practice for.
Speaker 1: Utah football, BYU football wrapped up their spring ball. Cale Breslin, a running back, is into the transfer portal. Nason Coleman at tight end, Justin Anna, who is the son of BYU linebackers coach Justin n As ender the transfer portal. Nathan Hoke defensive end linebacker, son of Chris Oak. He has entered the transfer portal for BYU, and Landon Rico, who's a punter. He has entered the transfer portal as well, so that's kind of the news that's moving the needle today.
Speaker 2: It looks like these reports are not official yet.
Speaker 1: But Nico Iamaliava, who is the Tennessee quarterback that's received a ton of attention after quote unquote holding out looking for about double of the nil he was getting from Tennessee. The rumors are he will land at UCLA, which would be interesting because Utah's first game of the season is against ucl So there you go some NBA basketball tonight after a couple of fun games last night. So it is a true win or go home situation in pro basketball tonight. It has been a painful, painful Wednesday show. Music is part of the vibe of the show The Driver with Spence Jackets Monday through Friday Live two to six, no exceptions.
Speaker 2: Music is a big part of the vibe. Why are they all so sad?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Look, expressing your feelings and your sadness through artistic expressions is a healthy endeavor. I'm not saying it's not, But what's I guess? I bury the lead? Who are you playing? End the show here?
Speaker 4: It's a little Rose Colored Glasses by John Conley. That was our guy, Phil the Texter wanted that one. Now I love the song. You're not wrong. There's some sad overtones there, but a little UT's angle. Spring football rose colored Glasses. Oh also, okay, that's ultimately why I chose it, because I think it is It is a good time of the year for some rose colored classes. Your quarterback's the best in the country. You got running backs all over the place, the defense is flying around, and the pads are popping. It's spring ball, rose colored glasses.
Speaker 2: Did you say your quarterback is the best quarterback in the country.
Speaker 5: Everyone says in spring. That's kind of what I was getting in.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, spring is time for hope.
Speaker 5: He can really spin it, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean that's why some of the superlatives in some of the you know, just the spring football takeaways on social like Nate Johnson's fast.
Speaker 2: Oh really, we do know that one man, Nate Johnson can really run. Okay.
Speaker 1: You know, Like as I said with Bill earlier, and I've told you before, spring football is an excuse for people like us to talk ball because you know me, I love ball.
Speaker 2: I'm all about ball. I just want dudes who love ball. I'm all about the dudes who love ball.
Speaker 5: You know, what I want?
Speaker 2: What do you want?
Speaker 5: I want all twenty two film of spring football.
Speaker 1: Stop it, let's get weird. No like Look, it's a great excuse to soft football. There just are very few times where anything that happens in the spring turns out to manifest itself. Is very important when it comes to the fall. Now, transfer portal is open right now, I misspoke earlier. By the way, Utah football throughout the spring window has had players into the transfer portal. Wyatt Becker, quarterback, Sammy Hunter, Komari Semwell both cornerbacks have entered the transfer portal. None of those players really germane to what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: In the fall?
Speaker 1: Well, are you hearing anything up there about what could come? Because Bill makes a good point. Like BYU football, they wrap up their spring session and after it was announced that they were done with spring ball, they lost five players immediately into the portal.
Speaker 2: Now, none of the players.
Speaker 1: That BYU was lost to the portal were expected to play big minutes. Hence the reason why they're looking for another place to play. But come Monday after spring football is behind us for Utah, what are you expecting to hear?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I like Bill kind of alluded to, there's going to be a name or two on that list that you will see enter the transfer portal.
Speaker 5: And you know, this is.
Speaker 4: Something that shouldn't surprise anybody. Number one, this is just the reality of college football. There are going to be transfers post spring, pre fall camp, regardless of the NIL situation, regardless of what's going on with your team behind the scenes, team vibes, doesn't matter. You're going to have transfers between the spring, between the fall, no matter what. Every year before the NIL situation was a reality that was true. But I will say that Kyle and this team, much like we've talked about, they have leaned into the professional model. They've leaned into you know, obviously they got a general manager up there now working the contracts and working the NIL stuff. And there are players that are going to not be getting what they think they are are worth or vice versa. There are going to be spots on the roster that don't have the money allotted to them that some of those players think that they deserve. So you're going to see players enter the transfer portal. From what I understand, everything is kind of already understood in that regard. Players know their places. Kyle's gone to folks and kind of given them the lowdown on that. And you're not going to see it publicly right like you did with Tennessee. You're not going to see drama come out of it, if you ask me. But you will see a few names that enter that transfer portal. I don't think any that are of much consequence.
Speaker 1: Well, any of the players threatening to leave for the transfer portal have to have a come to Kyle moment. That was one of my favorite things you said all of last year.
Speaker 8: It ruled.
Speaker 2: It was awesome, No, it was great.
Speaker 4: Listen, Hey, when a man rules the house like he does there, you know you look to him in a certain way if you're involved in that.
Speaker 2: I forgot to tell you this.
Speaker 1: So last week when I was at the Utah Sports Hall of Fame dinner where my high school coach is being inducted, since you know, I played for him, and that was like enough for them to get it over the top.
Speaker 2: Of course, that's not real.
Speaker 1: Kyle was there in support of a couple of other people, and so I saw him.
Speaker 2: I said hello.
Speaker 1: And every interaction with Kyle, he talks to you like a coach. He comes up and he's like, how's your father. I'm like, oh my gosh, I'm like he's good.
Speaker 2: He's good. So what's he up to?
Speaker 1: Like it's you're not wasting. He just wanted to know how's your dad? What's he up to? And it wasn't like, hey, how's your dad. He's like, no, no, no, Logistically, what is going on in your father's life right now? He asked about the grandkids and he's you know, what he's doing for work. But you know, it's a fifteen second interaction. That's when he also said, Hey, anytime you need me on the show, let me know, I'll come on. So I told him weekly hit from here on out. But it was just very pragmatic. It was very matter of fact. He just wanted to know the details. Then he had to move on to go to dinner. A little peak behind the window with Kyle.
Speaker 4: He has like a what's it called when a musician has like the clicking talk in their head in there, the clicking clock. Right, he's got like a metronome going where We've done this with coaches, shows and whatnot. You can tell Kyle exactly how long the commercial break is and he will be sitting down for the Coaches Show that second, like in his brain he knows this is a minute, a minute there, a minute there, and every one of those minutes is calculated and accounted for, right as you know.
Speaker 5: He's very serious about his business.
Speaker 4: But going through normal conversations, that's still the guy you're talking to. So yeah, like you said, sometimes it's short, not in a bad way, just very concise and short and yeah, coach speak if you will.
Speaker 5: I I once mentioned to Kyle that I play a lot.
Speaker 4: Of tennis, and now when we talk he's asking me about my tense. He's like wondering how my tennis game is. You just can't turn it off with that guy.
Speaker 1: Gotta love it, God to love it all. Right, Time to say good night, get out of here. Watch the NBA basketball last night. Man, last night was so fun that Warriors Grizzlies game. Man, when the best players in the world give a rip, basketball is still awesome. So little NBA hoops tonight Portal, Let's get out of here? What comes our way? On a Thursday edition of the show.
Speaker 4: On a Thursday edition to the program, it's gonna be a lot of reaction to the NBA play in and look ahead to the NBA play off. Stave mcminnimon stops by for our NBA Daily assist Richard Smithy Smith in studio for an entire hour. We'll catch up with RSL's Gaffert, Pablo Mastro, any little sports court action, and we'll go from there on a Thursday.
Speaker 2: All right, there you go. That'll be a good Thursday show.
Speaker 1: We will say goodnight and a very special thank you to today's guest Sandy Larson, Neil Smith, Craig Bowlerjack and Bill Riley. Some good stuff on the show today. If you missed any of it, good news. It's all online for your digital consumption. Our website is ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. I would recommend downloading our mobile app and taking us on the go. It's how I listen to our station every single day and then for what we do in our space, specifically four hours every afternoon. Check out our podcast page. It's called The Drive with Spence. Check its and that's available wherever you get your show. So subscribe, rate review saying ice things in the comments, give us all the stars that it really does help. Reporter I'm Spence saying tonight, better music on the program.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Joy your Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Talk to you tomorrow right here on ESPN seven and ninety two IFM. We are proud to be part of utah Z ESPN Radio Network and
Speaker 9: Rou Colored Glessus