Speaker 1: Picture a massive ninety one ton Bowing seven twenty seven just roaring through the sky at three hundred kilometers per.
Speaker 2: Hour rereck and it is packed with people.
Speaker 1: Right, packed with people. And now I want you to picture a tiny, single engine training plane just kind of floating in that exact same airspace.
Speaker 2: It's quite the contrast, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It really is. In September nineteen seventy eight, these two drastically different aircraft collided and perfectly clear sunny skies over San Diego.
Speaker 2: And you know the crazy part is they didn't crash it because of an engine exploding or like a wing snapping.
Speaker 1: Off, no catastrophic mechanical failure at all. This devastating collision happened because of microscopic human blind spots, the psychology of alarm fatigue, and literally a single fatal misheard syllable on a radio transmission.
Speaker 2: It's chilling when you break it down. So really grasp how this happens. You have to place yourself in the environment of San Diego's Lindbergh Field.
Speaker 1: Which is kind of a crazy airport, right.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a notoriously intense piece of aviation. Real it's the busiest single runway airport in North America. Yeah, but it sits directly next to this dense downtown city scape. You have high rise obstructions and then a very drastic terrain drop right before the runway, so.
Speaker 1: You're skimming over as skyscrapers basically essentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's this steep, dramatic approach that demands total concentration. You don't just casually glide into San Diego. You are threading a massive needle.
Speaker 1: And threading that needle on this particular like beautiful cloudless morning is Pacific Southwest Airlines PSA flight one eight two.
Speaker 2: A massive Boeing seven to twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Exactly carrying one hundred and twenty eight passengers, and thirty of those passengers are actually PSA employees heading back to their home base.
Speaker 2: PSA was famous back then for this very fun, laid back corporate culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Their literal motto was catch our smile. They painted it right onto the nose of their planes.
Speaker 2: That's right. And up in the cockpit you have an incredibly seasoned crew super experience.
Speaker 1: There's a nine year veteran first officer at the controls and a seventeen year veteran captain sitting next to him.
Speaker 2: A guy who is widely regarded by his peers, is just you know, a born pilot.
Speaker 1: So in this deep dive you are going to piece together the puzzle of what was at the time the deadliest aviation disaster in US history.
Speaker 2: We're going to explore the cascading series of invisible eras that brought these two planes together because sharing that exact same busy airspace floating out there in the sprawling San Diego morning is a tiny Cessna one SEV two insider. Just two people, right, just a flight instructor and his student. The contrast is staggering.
Speaker 1: I mean, you have this absolute beast of a commercial jetliner descending rapidly and this little mosquito of a.
Speaker 2: Training plane, completely dwarfed in size, speed, and technological capability.
Speaker 1: So let's walk through the timeline leading up to nine zero zero am, because it reveals how quickly a routine morning just completely unravels.
Speaker 2: Right, Flight one eighty two is descending down the coast from Sacra. Down on the ground, you have the approach controller sitting in a darkened room in front of a radar screen roughly fifteen kilometers away.
Speaker 1: And he spots both of them he does.
Speaker 2: He spots the radar return of the little cessna flying ahead of the mass of seven to.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven, so he does his job. He executes his training flawlessly and radio's PSA one to eighty two, issuing a really clear warning. He says traffic at twelve o'clock three miles out, and.
Speaker 2: The veteran crew of the seven twenty seven acknowledges the warning immediately, but they radio back the phrase that ultimately seals.
Speaker 1: Their fate, right They say, got it, traffic in sight.
Speaker 2: That radio call changes everything, how so well, the moment the pilot says traffic in sight, the controller essentially hands over the responsibility for visual separation to the flight crew.
Speaker 1: So the controller is no longer in charge of keeping them apart.
Speaker 2: Exactly under the rules visual flight. The pilot has acknowledged the other aircraft and is now legally responsible for maintaining a safe distance.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's kind of like two boats passing on an open lake. The overtaking boat is entirely responsible for watching out for the slower one.
Speaker 2: That's a perfect analogy. So the controller clears the seven to twenty seven for a visual approach inside the cockpit, the crews going through their final checklists.
Speaker 1: The cabin is secured, the heavy landing gear is coming down. By all accounts, it is a wonderfully routine.
Speaker 2: Descent until it suddenly violently isn't.
Speaker 1: Just before nine point zero am, the seven twenty seven essentially rear ends the Cessna mid air.
Speaker 2: The massive jet, moving with all that inertia at nearly three hundred kilometers per hour, just tears right through the much lighter, slower training plane.
Speaker 1: The physical physics of the impact are just devastating.
Speaker 2: Yeah. On the cockpit voice recorder, the suddenness of the catastrophe is chilling. There's the sound of the impact, a sharp intake of breath, and then alarms instantly blaring.
Speaker 1: The kinetic energy of the collision just destroys the seven to twenty seven's right wing right and its hydraulic lines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it completely cripples it. The massive aircraft goes into an uncontrollable steep dive.
Speaker 1: And the the final heartbreaking words captured on the recording before the jet plunges to the earth are simply, mah, I love you God.
Speaker 2: It's just awful. And this wreckage doesn't fall into an empty desert or a body of water.
Speaker 1: No, Both planes plummet directly into the quiet, densely populated San Diego residential neighborhood of North Park.
Speaker 2: The seven twenty seven crashes at the intersection of Dwight and Nile Streets.
Speaker 1: And the pieces of the Cessana land about six walks away at thirty second in pulk.
Speaker 2: The apocalyptic kinetic energy of a ninety one ton jet hitting a neighborhood at that angle is I mean, it's almost impossible to comprehend.
Speaker 1: Twenty two homes are instantly pulverized.
Speaker 2: For the first responders and police officers rushing to the scene, that devastation is surreal. It looks less like a plane crash and more like a large military bomb had got off.
Speaker 1: Witnesses talked about a massive, towering mushroom cloud of black smoke and fire right visible to thousands of people across the entire city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, passenger seats and landing gear are embedded in the sides of romain houses. The smell of jet fuel and destruction is literally everywhere.
Speaker 1: And everyone on board both planes is dead, plus seven residents on the ground who just happened to be in their homes. That morning, one hundred and forty four people in total.
Speaker 2: It's a staggering loss of life.
Speaker 1: I can only imagine the sheer helplessness of those first responders. You know, they arrive with sirens blaring, adrenaline pumping, ready to pull people from the wreckage, and they just have to stand there.
Speaker 2: There is no one to save.
Speaker 1: They are reduced to covering bodies in a burning neighborhood.
Speaker 2: It is a profoundly grim task. When the National Transportation Safety Board gets the call, they deploy a lead investigator named Wally.
Speaker 1: Funk, and he arrives from Los Angeles to a scene that is just a sprawling, mangled mess of charred metal.
Speaker 2: As a seasoned investigator, his immediate overwhelming challenge is figuring out how to even begin putting this puzzle together.
Speaker 1: Because the wreckage only tells the final half second of the story right exactly.
Speaker 2: To figure out how a veteran flight crew over a plane right in front of them, he has to rewind the clock.
Speaker 1: Well, let's rewind that clock then, because honestly, I have to push back on the very premise of this airspace setup.
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 1: You have a massive commercial jet packed with one hundred and twenty eight people on an assigned high speed glide path to a major international airport, right, and you have a tiny student plane practicing maneuvers in the exact same spot. It seems insane to me that the sky doesn't have a right of way rule. How do you mean, like, if an ambulance has its sirens on, you pull your Honda Civic over to the shoulder. It feels like the Cessena shouldn't even be allowed in the way of a jetliner.
Speaker 2: You know, that is the single most common bias people have when looking at aviation crashes.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, The media and the general public immediately assumed it had to be the Cessena's fault. They figured it was just an inexperienced student pilot who wandered into the path of a real airliner.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's an easy assumption.
Speaker 2: To make, it is, but an investigator has to dismantle that assumption entirely. The sky in nineteen seventy eight did not work like a highway with emergency lanes.
Speaker 1: So how did it work.
Speaker 2: It was strictly a first come, first serve system. The Sessna had every legal right to be occupying that specific piece of airspace.
Speaker 1: Which means the airliner has to navigate around the tiny plane, no matter how inconvenient it.
Speaker 2: Is, precisely that. So to physically visualize this impossible scenario, investigator Wally Funk actually brought the recovered wreckage of the Sesta over to a hangar and laid it out next to the main seven twenty seven wreckage.
Speaker 1: Wow. Literally piecing it together physically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he need to understand the spatial relationship. He had to look at the radar tracks to see the geometry of the collision, and.
Speaker 1: The radar tracks add a whole new layer of mystery to this, don't they They really do.
Speaker 2: The data shows that the Sessna actually drifted to the right, directly into the seven twenty sevens descending path.
Speaker 1: So if the Sessna had just flown perfectly straight, they likely wouldn't have collided.
Speaker 2: Most likely. Yes. The immediate question for Funk is why the Sessna drifted, and the answer lies in the cockpit of that small plane, specifically in what the student pilot was wearing.
Speaker 1: He had on something called a training hood, right, which is essentially a visor that restricts your vision.
Speaker 2: It's a black plastic shield that extends out from the forehead to block the pilot's view of the natural horizon outside the windows.
Speaker 1: Why would you want to block your view of the horizon. That sounds dangerous.
Speaker 2: Well, the whole point of the HOOD is sensory deprivation. It forces the student to ignore their outside environment and fly exclusively by referencing their glowing instrument panel.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see for training exactly.
Speaker 2: It's standard mandatory practice for getting an instrument rating.
Speaker 1: But human error happens, right like sometimes a student's gaze isn't scanning the altimeter and heading indicator fast enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and without the horizon for reference, the plane's heading will subtly drift.
Speaker 1: But wait, if we look at the timeline, even if the Sessana drifted slightly off course because of that training hood, PSA one eighty two had already told Air Traffic Control they had the Sessena insight. They did, and the NTSB did a massive visibility study during this investigation. Right, they mapped out the radar tracks, they mapped out the camera angles from the cockpit, and they found.
Speaker 2: That the PSA crew had one hundred and seventy seconds of completely unobstructed view of the Sessna through.
Speaker 1: Their windscreen nearly three full minutes of clear visibility.
Speaker 2: Almost three minutes. That is an absolute eternity in an airplane.
Speaker 1: So how do you miss a plane that is theoretically staring you in the face for one hundred and seventy seconds.
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 1: It feels exactly like when someone gets into a car and to look cool or stretch out, they reclaim their car seats so far back and so low that they can barely see over the steering wheel. If they lower their seat, they are changing the geometry of their entire field division they accidentally create a massive blind spot right beneath the hood of their car.
Speaker 2: As shocking as it sounds, that is fundamentally what happened in the cockpit of that seven twenty seven. Wait really, yes, The engineers who designed the Boeing seven twenty seven built a very specific tool into the cockpit called the design eye reference point.
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: These are literally little white balls aligned on the centerpost of the windscreen. The instruction is simple. You adjust the height of your pilot's seat until those balls line up in your vision and your eyes are now in the perfect mathematically optimal position to see out of the aircraft's complex window structure.
Speaker 1: But I'm guessing it wasn't a strict rule that you had to use them.
Speaker 2: It wasn't strictly enforced. Pilots come in all shapes and sizes, and over a long, tiring career, they tend to adjust the seat's lower for their own personal comfort.
Speaker 1: Or maybe to get a much better closer view of their instrument panel down below them.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And when the NTSB investigators recalculated that visibility study from this lower customized seat position, the mass changes completely.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So that one hundred and seventy seconds of clearer visibility vanishes.
Speaker 2: Completely vanishes from that lower reclined seat angle. The Cessna was only visible in the seven to twenty seven's windscreen for about five to ten seconds. You're kidding, No, For the entire rest of the descent, the tiny plane was completely hidden in the massive blind spot below the nose of the jet.
Speaker 1: Five to ten seconds to spot a target before it disappears under your nose, and we have to factor in the visual environment too, right, It's not.
Speaker 2: Like the Cessna was painted neon orange against a pitch black sky.
Speaker 1: It was perfectly accidentally camouflaged. They are descending over the sprawling urban clutter of San Diego.
Speaker 2: You have a chaotic backdrop of white roofs, dark asphalt roads, sparkling lakes, and green trees. The background is constantly shifting and highly textured.
Speaker 1: And the Cessna is flying at roughly the same altitude and heading in the exact same direction as the jet.
Speaker 2: Which means it isn't creating much relative movement in the pilot's field of vision.
Speaker 1: And the human eye is evolutionarily wired to detect movement across a background exactly.
Speaker 2: A slow moving plane against a heavily cluttered, static looking city backdrop is almost impossible for the brain to pick out unless you were staring directly at its exact coordinates.
Speaker 1: Okay, that answers how they lost it in the background, but it raises a much more terrifying question for me. What's that If they couldn't see the Sessena because their seats were too low and the plane was camouflaged against the roofs of San Diego, then why on earth did the PSA crew tell the tower they had the traffic in.
Speaker 2: Sight To unravel that, the investigators had to listen obsessively to the cockpit voice recorder the CVR about thirty five seconds before the impact.
Speaker 1: What were they saying?
Speaker 2: The crew is recorded talking among themselves. They state that they see the plane at their one o'clock position, slightly to their right, and they specifically note that it is flying inbound, meaning it is flying toward them in the opposite direction.
Speaker 1: But the radar tracks proved the Cessna was actually at their eleven o'clock position, slightly to their left, and it was flying away from them in the same.
Speaker 2: Direction right, So the PSA pilots were describing a completely different aircraft.
Speaker 1: They weren't looking at the Cessna at all.
Speaker 2: No, they weren't.
Speaker 1: They safely cleared what was essentially a ghost plane. Basically, yeah, they genuinely believed they had identified the traffic the tower warned them about. They watched it pass, and they mentally checked the box and stopped looking. But how could there just be a ghost plane up there that air traffic control didn't know about.
Speaker 2: This requires understanding how radar worked in the nineteen seventies. During the investigation, sixteen different witnesses on the ground reported seeing other small aircraft in that exact airspace at that time. Okay, the problem is the difference between primary and secondary radar. Primary radar just bounces radio waves off metals, very basic, and secondary radar, secondary radar actively interrogates a device in the plane called a transponder, which pings back altitude and identity. Many small private planes back then simply didn't carry transponders.
Speaker 1: H I see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Without a transponder pinging data, a small aircraft could be completely invisible to the approach controllers secondary radar screen.
Speaker 1: So the PSA pilots visually spotted one of these undocumented small planes, assumed it was their target and just moved on.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: This brings us to the air traffic controllers, and we really need to look at the systems in that dark radar room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a crucial part of the puzzle.
Speaker 1: Even if the pilots were confused by a ghost plane, the controllers have the Cessna and the seven to twenty seven on their screens, two glowing dots merging into one. Surely they had some kind of alarm system for this.
Speaker 2: We did, and this reveals the tragic irony of the new technology that had just been installed in the San Diego approach facility. They had a new system, they had a state of the art collision alert system programs specifically by computers to predict if two transponder equipped planes were going to hit.
Speaker 1: Well, it seems obvious that the alarm must have gone off.
Speaker 2: It did. The visual and auditory alarms triggered perfectly in the control room, but.
Speaker 1: They didn't radio the seven to twenty seven to pull up because of alarm fatigue, as.
Speaker 2: A deeply ingrained human psychological flaw. The controller heard the alarm, mentioned it to a supervisor, and then they wilfully ignored it because that brand new, highly sensitive system was horribly calibrated for the crowded San Diego airspace. It was giving them an average of thirteen false alarms every single day.
Speaker 1: Thirteen false alarms day means it just becomes background noise exactly. It's exactly like a car alarm going off on a busy city street. You don't think, oh, no, a grand theft auto is in progress. Your brain just filters it out and you think, wow, someone bumped a bumper. That's annoying.
Speaker 2: That is the perfect way to look at it. The controllers assumed it was just the system crying wolf.
Speaker 1: Again, and I suppose they felt that since the PSA jet had already confirmed visual contact over the radio. The pilots were actively handling the visual separation.
Speaker 2: Precisely under the operational guidelines of the time. The radar controller was not expected to intervene if visual rules were in effect, so they disregarded the flashing alert.
Speaker 1: But the radar controller hands the planes off to the local tower controller. Right, the guy looking out the window handling the final seconds before landing, and he didn't have that fancy new alarm system. He just had a regular radar display in his eyes, and he could see those two dots getting dangerously close. Yes, he could, so, about seventy seconds before the collision, he radios the seven to twenty seven to check in.
Speaker 2: And this is the moment the entire tragedy hinges on the final nail in the coffin comes down to how a single word is processed through the technology of the era.
Speaker 1: Because the PSA captain is now clearly unsure if he still sees the plane he thought was the Cessenet.
Speaker 2: Right, he's second guessing himself.
Speaker 1: He keys his microphone and says to the tower, I think he's passed off to.
Speaker 2: Our right, but that is not what the tower controller hears in his headset.
Speaker 1: Because of the reality of nineteen seventies VHF aviation radios, they are prone to static clipping and overlapping transmissions, very prone because of a burst of radio static At that exact millisecond the tower controller hears, I think he's passing off to our right.
Speaker 2: We really need to isolate the deadly psychological difference between those two words passed with an ed versus passing with an ing.
Speaker 1: If the pilot says he's passed off to our right, he is describing a historical event.
Speaker 2: Right, something he thinks has already concluded.
Speaker 1: It strongly implies he is no longer looking at the plane because it's behind him, and.
Speaker 2: More importantly, it implies a critical level of confusion. If the controller had clearly heard the word passed, he could have looked down at his radar screen, seeing that the seven twenty seven was actually still entirely behind the Cessna, and realized instantly that the pilot was completely dangerously mistaken.
Speaker 1: Because the physical threat was still directly in front of them.
Speaker 2: Exactly hearing the word passed would have triggered an immediate emergency intervention from the tower. The controller would have ordered them to abruptly change their heading or pull up.
Speaker 1: But the static clipped the audio morphing the word into.
Speaker 2: Passing and passing implies an active, ongoing, present tense action, so.
Speaker 1: To the controller's ear, passing meant the pilot was actively watching the Cessna out the window right at that very.
Speaker 2: Moment, Yes, continuously and safely managing the visual separation. It told the controller everything was fine. The pilot had eyes on the target and there was absolutely no need to worry or intervene.
Speaker 1: Wow because of one misheard syllable cloaked in static, the controller does nothing.
Speaker 2: He assumes they are safe.
Speaker 1: And seconds later, one hundred and forty four people are dead in the rubble of a San Diego neighborhood.
Speaker 2: It's just a cascade of completely avoidable tragedies. In the spring of nineteen seventy nine, the NTSB released its final exhaustive report.
Speaker 1: What was the official verdict.
Speaker 2: The primary fault was placed squarely on the PSA flight crew for failing to tell the tower immediately when they lost visual contact with the Sessna.
Speaker 1: Which makes sense, but the report.
Speaker 2: Acknowledged there was plenty of blame to go around CESTA pilot for drifting off his heading, the controllers for not providing specific radar vectors, and the systemic failure of disregarding a functioning collision alarm.
Speaker 1: Aggety of this magnitude happens. It forces an industry to look in the mirror. What is the legacy of this wreckage? How did this crash change the way we fly today?
Speaker 2: Well, it completely revolutionized the architecture of the sky. First, Lindberg Field immediately got a terminal Control Area or TCA.
Speaker 1: What does that do? Exactly?
Speaker 2: Think of a TCA like a massive, invisible, inverted wedding cake over an airport. It puts incredibly strict restrictions on what kind of traffic can even enter that airspace and requires all aircraft big or small to have functioning transponders and explicit permission to be there.
Speaker 1: So no more undocumented ghost planes wandering around exactly.
Speaker 2: And the Federal Aviation Administration also enacted the Sterile Cockpit Rule, changing how pilots behave.
Speaker 1: Oh right, because before PSA one to eighty two, pilots could chat about whatever they wanted, weekend plans, company gossip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the NTSB noted that casual conversation in the PSA cockpit might have reduced their vigilance.
Speaker 1: To they change the rules.
Speaker 2: The FAA mandate that when a plane is flying below ten thousand feet, which is where all the complex maneuvering, heavy traffic and terrain avoidance happens, the crew must strictly limit their conversation to the operation of the aircraft. No small talk, no distractions, total absolute focus on the approach.
Speaker 1: But the biggest, most monumental change to come out of this was the technology rate.
Speaker 2: Without a doubt, this tragedy violently accelerated the creation of TCS, the traffic collision avoidance system. I've heard of that it took a few years of intense engineering to perfect, but it is now standard mandatory equipment on all passenger planes globally. TCS is brilliant because it doesn't rely on ground controllers and it doesn't rely on static filled radio calls.
Speaker 1: The planes themselves communicate directly with each other.
Speaker 2: Yes, they interrogate each other's transponders. The system mathematically calculates the closure rates based on the transponder data, so.
Speaker 1: If two planes get dangerously closed, TCS just bypasses the ground entirely exactly.
Speaker 2: It explicitly shall it's into the cockpit with an automated voice telling one pilot to climb, climb, and coordinating with the other plane system to tell that pilot to descend, descend.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It takes the human guesswork, the visual camouflage, and the ghost planes completely out of the equation.
Speaker 1: It's incredible how we've built these highly automated, mathematically precise systems to prevent this exact nightmare from ever happening again.
Speaker 2: It truly is a marvel of modern aviation safety.
Speaker 1: But you know, looking back at the human element of PSA one to eighty two, there is this haunting thought that I just can't shake.
Speaker 2: When you look at the totality of the investigation, what stands out to.
Speaker 1: You it's the alarm fatigue. The controllers in that dark room in nineteen seventy eight had the exact technology they needed to save those one hundred and forty four lives.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 1: The alarm went off, the system worked, but they willfully ignored it because it cried wolf thirteen times a day. Yeah, think about our modern world right now. We suffer from endless, overwhelming notification fatigue. Our phones constantly buzzed with breaking news alerts. Our cars beep and flashlights if we drift a millimeter out of our lane. Our work dashboards flash red with urgent emails we instantly swipe away.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point.
Speaker 1: PSA one eighty two shows us that a safety system is only as good as the human trust placed in it. It really makes you wonder how many critical life altering warnings are you ignoring every single day, just because your brain assumes it's another false alarm. Are we destined to repeat the tragedy of the ignored collision alert, just in a completely different setting.