Speaker 1: We're getting close. We have at least one and maybe both presidential candidates looking to adopt bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies as a way to encourage innovation because they know it's happening. I mean, the real killer is all this innovation is happening, and there are Americans. Many Americans are coming up with these innovative things, and then they geo fence the US, in effect not allowing anybody in the US to try their product. And all those great products are happening outside the US, and all those customers are able to innovate from that new platform, and we're not because there's this big dark cloud that is the sec today.
Speaker 2: This content is brought to you by bitco, which is one of the top crypto custodians in the crypto industry. Bitco works with many big companies and brands such as Pantera Capital, Bitstamp, and bitcoin Ira. Nike also selected Bitco to power its wallets for its NFTs and Bitco has many great services such as hot wallets, custodial wallets, self managed cold wallets, and NFT wallets. Many institutions trust Bitco with its top level security and incredible services such as being able to deploy your capital wallet's in custody, which includes lending, borrowing, trading, staking, DeFi access and more. If you'd like to learn more about bitco, please visit bitgo dot com link in the description. Welcome into the Thinking Crypto Podcast. I'm your host, Tony Edward and with me is Tim Draper, who's a legendary investor, the founder of DFJ, Draper University, Draper Venture Network, and Draper Associates. Tim was an investor in many different companies such as Tesla, Skype, SpaceX, Twitch, Robinhood, Coinbase, and many others, and he also wrote a book, How to Be the Startup Hero.
Speaker 1: Tim.
Speaker 2: It's an honor to have you on the podcast, Tony.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me. I'm looking forward to it should be fine.
Speaker 2: So, Tim, you know, I've seen many of your interviews and I want to take a bit of a different angle because I want to get to know a bit about you and your journey to investment. You know, where were you born and what was your childhood like and what did you want to be when you were growing up.
Speaker 1: I was born in Highland Park, Illinois, at the center of the universe. When I was growing up, I wanted to be a baseball player. I collected baseball cards. That's where I learned math, or some of my math teachers taught me a lot of it. And then baseball cards got me thinking about averages, and that was the beginning of going into complex math. And I was mostly into sports, but I also was really I had a real penchant for math. And I got bumped up from second to third grade, and third to fifth grade, and fifth to eighth grade, and then I was in eighth grade math for about four years in a row. They didn't have any other math. And then I went away to high school. I went to Andover and turns out Andovers not an accredited high school, but it's the number one high school in the world, so it makes you think about the accreditation in a new way. And then I loved Andover. I then flew home to Stanford. I lived near Stanford, and I went to Stanford studied electrical engineering. I was on their football team for a couple of years. Coach Walsh. Bill Walsh was my coach, who was a big forty nine er coach that brought five Super Bowls to the forty nine ers. Oh yeah. I studied electrical engineering and physics and creative writing. So it was kind of an interesting combination of things that I learned. I was the I was a student senator. Well, I was at Stanford I and I was going to be a physics major. It was it's where my mind was headed. But my dad said, yeah, you get a good job in physics if you get a PhD. And I was thinking, no, it's time to get out and doing something, a job and whatever, and he said, but if you're electrical engineering major, there are a lot of jobs for you. And so he guided me in the right direction. And then I worked for Hewlett Packard for a couple of years and created something called Stamford the Game, which was a board game which was great also great fun. And then I went to Harvard Business School and just got back from the reunion for Harvard and worked as the assistant of the president of Apollo Computer while I was there, and Apollo was competed with Sun Microsystems at the time, and now it's all a part of Microsoft. Everything is a part of Microsoft, all the all of those advanced computers. And then and then when I got out of business school, I worked for Alex Brown, the investment bank for a year, and after a year, I felt like I was ready to go create a venture capital business on my own. And I'm not. I am always willing to just jump in and see how it goes. And so I did that. For I took over an SBIIC that my dad had. My grandfather was the first Silicon Valley venture capitalist. My dad was a pioneer venture capital. I took over an sbi C that my dad had, small business investment company that had three or four companies in it. They were all private, nobody knew what they were worth. BA valued them at two million dollars. I was able to borrow six million from the SBA on that two million of private companies and get into business. And that's how I built my record, and that's how I got started. And after three years it looked like I had lost all the money. And then the IPO window opened up and I had five IPOs al and one was Parametric Technology and still to this day, Parametric, I think is the largest software company in the New England area. And then from there I just took it one step at a time. Brought in a partner, John Fisher. We worked together on a fund. Brought in another partner Steve Jervidson. We worked together on a fund and then we kept growing and growing and growing, and then we became kind of the number one venture fund in the world in say two thousand and three, after the boom and the but during the boom we were number one, and after the bust we were number one because I took us international and that worked out very well. We did Baidu and Skype internationally. And then after a number of years, I started to get pretty rich myself personally, and so I was able to spin out from DFJ and start my own business again. So I did it again. And when I did that, I had the freedom to do a lot of other things, a lot more experimental things. Why commoner Nator had just started, and I thought, wow, that's an interesting model and maybe I should be doing something about that. I started Draper University and that ended up. At first it was very difficult and we had all sorts of problems, but it got better and better and better, and now it's I mean, it's by far than the place to go if you're going to be a venture capitalist, I mean, if you're going to be an entrepreneur. Because we've had I don't know five thousand entrepreneurs through there. They've started about twelve hundred companies and five or unicorns in about fifteen are worth more than one hundred million dollars. And they all started at Draper University. So that's been a huge success. But it was you know, I didn't know what was going to happen, and I just started it. I started Meet the Drapers, which was a crowd funding where the viewer could crowdfund a show where I interview entrepreneurs and the winner goes to the next level. And that has ended up. At first I could hardly get my mother to watch, and now we have I think we have I think we have two hundred million viewers. Wow, so they're all over the world. It's a huge thing. We've got to deal with TikTok now and and Draper Associates. The venture Fund has done extraordinarily well, better than I did with DFJ, and we we've done extraordinarily well, and we have really embraced AI, not just as investors into AI, but also as users of AI. It helps us with doing diligence on our companies, doing diligence on those industries, diligence on the individual entrepreneurs and and now we even have you know, if you go to DRAPERTV Draper dot tv, you can see our show, but you can also see this thing Draper Decentralized, and that is my digital twin. That is my fake. And I've read we've now done more than fifty of these where the deep fake is talking about one company or another of ours, and it's fascinating. It's like I, I mean, generally I don't want to even look in the mirror, but I love it because it gives me that one minute view of what's going on in each of those companies at that time, and those are key events because they tend to be press. Really is that I that my deep fake is reading? So you know, we also have se or, which one of our companies, that can detect if somebody is lying, so we can wrin videos through that. And we have Otter, which where we take videos and it transcribes all the meetings that we have and we can look back and say, wait, what was that company and how did they You know, isn't there another company that does an artificial kidney? You know, isn't there another company that is doing hyper speed and rocketry or you know, all those things, and that has been really exciting, and so AI has really captivated me. During the time when I was leave, I had left DFJ and I was starting Draper Associates well, starting to super charge Rape Associates. I also had an opportunity to buy a whole bunch of bitcoin, and I did at a very cheap price, and then I lost it all to the Mount Gox thing. I bought it at four dollars, like forty thousand bitcoin four dollars, it's all gone to Mount Gox or whatever. And then but I realized how important bitcoin was going to be, and so I bought a bunch from the US Marshall's office and that has been a fantastic investment and it continues to be. I mean, I'm still a buyer of bitcoin, net buyer of bitcoin because it really looks like it's something that will transform the world. It's I mean, I know, every you know, country leader is always very concerned about their own fiat currencies. But bitcoin's just better currency. It's a better way to store value, it's a better way to buy and sell. It's easier to move from one place to another, so there's less liquidity issues, and it's just you know, it's global, it's open. Doesn't matter what happens within a country, you can always use bitcoin. It's always acceptable. I just talked to Propy, which is one of our companies, and they have real estate. They're doing real estate on the blockchain, and that includes doing title on the blockchain. And I started to think about it, and it's like, now you can have your own bank and you can keep your own tithe in a decentralized, safe, verified way without dealing with a central government, without dealing with you know, the files of the county or whatever. This is a whole new transformation this world that's opening up to all of us. That's the decentralized world where everybody gets to participate and you're not isolating certain people because they come from one country or another. So long answer to a very short question.
Speaker 2: No amazing, Tim, Thank you for sharing those details. And you know, as you're talking about your journey and starting different companies and so forth, you know, do you ever look back and say, wow, man, I accomplish a lot and what keeps you motivated to be in the investing space and to think about these things versus going on a yacht, are an island somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, if I go to the beach, I love it. But you know, if I go for more than a week, I feel like I have to tell the hotel how to run their business. So you know, I work is in me. I love work. I think it's a great thing. And yes I do look back, but actually people help me look back because people come up to me and say, hey, I want to thank you. You put my son in business, you build a you know, Draper University gave me a total transformation for my life. I was on Meet the Drapers. It was a fabulous thing. Those things come to me, and what's great is that people will come to me and go, wow, you know, somebody talked about you in Brazil, and then they talked about you in Saudi, and then they talked about you in Chicago, and then they and I heard about you in all these different cities. You've clearly done something. And I think just by grabbing this one thing, which was to spread entrepreneurship and venture capital around the world, I do. I do get to look back and say, wow, almost everywhere in the world they have venture capital, and almost everywhere in the world they have entrepreneurs, and that was not true when I got started. It was Silicon Valley in Root one twenty eight and nobody else. And so now that has had a big that that has made me feel very good. But there's so much more to do, and I'm hitting my stride. I mean, Dad, everything's great, you know, and any I can do little things that can have big impacts. So work continues to be more and more fascinating as I get older. I love it.
Speaker 2: Going back to your journey with bitcoin, what was your first discovery of that that someone tell you about it? Did you see it in a form and when did it click for you? What was your ahull moment?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Joel Jarman mentioned that I should look into it, and he was my associate at the time, and he introduced me to Peter Vissin and Peter told me all about it. And that was twenty ten, so very very early bitcoin. Was it four dollars this year? Wow? Dollars per bitcoin? And they started tell me about it and I went, this is exactly what I thought was going to happen. We were going to have digital money. And they said, what do you mean, And I said, you know, I talked to this guy in Korea who was from Korea, who was talking about how half of the people in Seoul were playing this game and I think it was called Lineage and that game he paid real dollars for a digital sword for his son for his birthday, and I went what. And then I thought, oh, my god, real money, digital products. And then I thought digital money. And so I thought that eventually digital money would happen and go game to game, but I think people just did it within games, so that there was you know, gold for Farmville and something else for some other game. I thought those things would connect and they'd all be a currency that we would all use, and that way it would be game to game or you know, all that trading would happen and we'd have multiple currencies that we would all use in this virtual world. But then bitcoin showed up. Something I wasn't thinking about at all was the security of the money in game, because I was thinking, oh, it's just play money in the game. But when they came up with bitcoin, that the ability to have a trusted third party that was all software, that was a major breakthrough, and it jumped out at me and I was intrigued enough to make an investment in coin lab and in the bitcoin with Peter. But it wasn't until I lost the bitcoin to melt Cox and bitcoin only dropped a little bit in value on that news that I knew that there were lots of uses, and so I went and I dug into all these uses. And it was like people who were unbanked or using it to pay each other and build their own little economy. People who were making money in the US were using it to remit money to another country. People who ran big businesses were using bitcoin to pay employees out there, and you know, in lands where there were no banks. So it was clearly going to improve the world economy. And I thought, wow, that's really exciting. And then I ran into this guy, Sebastian Serrano from Argentina, and he said, my family has created a fortune three times in the last thirty years, and every time we've lost it to currency manipulation by the government. Bitcoin is our savior. Bitcoin is this is going to save our business. We're going to be able to build something of great value and keep it. And that was where I knew that bitcoin would be great store of value, but it would also be a currency that at least that country, Argentina would want to use for their economy. And then you know, of course El Salvador followed, and then and then Panama and Japan and Malta and Gibraltar, and they all made bitcoin a national currency and it started a really you know steam roll, and now bitcoin is actually challenging fiat currency. People are saying, wait, why do I hold dollars? If I can buy my food, clothing, and shelter all in bitcoin, dollars I know are going to depreciate in value. Even if I'm I've got it in a you know, CD or whatever I put my money into, I'm still losing it to inflation. If I hold, spend, and invest, and pay taxes all in bitcoin. First of all, the accounting is easy because it's all done on the blockchain and it's all honest. And second of all, it's a better way, more efficient, better way to run your business. So eventually we're going to get there. So that's where I'm going. That's where I'm going. I believe the world is going. And you know what, I think both Warren Buffett and Jamie Diamond believe that too, and they're scared to death and they're going, but I have all these dollars, and when there's a run on the dollar, they're going to be at the bank saying, get me my dollars out and get them into bitcoin. I mean it will be like I mean, you should have seen the panic on people's face when Silicon Valley Bank stumbled yeah we had. I had about fifteen companies call me and say, I need emergency money to pay my payroll for the next two weeks because all my money's in Silicon Valley Bank. So after that, I said, Okay, any company we fund your treasury has to have some of the money in a big bank. And everybody goes, yeah, yeah, of course, some of your money in a small bank. And they're saying why, I say, because the US government can still bail out a small bank, not a big bank. And then some of your money in bitcoin. And they're saying why why bitcoin? And I say, because if these banks go out of business and small you are personally liable. You and your border personally liable for payroll for your company. And you might have a company with one hundred thousand employees and you're personally liable for no matter what happens to the banks, and so if you have bitcoin to cover it, you're good. And I think that you know, more and more women now have bitcoin wallets, and women control about eighty five percent of retail spending. So when the retailer recognizes that they can save two percent every time somebody buys something in bitcoin, they're going to start saying bitcoin accepted. And then at some point they're going to say only bitcoin accepted. And that is the point at which everybody's going to run to the bank and try to get their dollars out, and they're all going to go at once, and it's going to be chaos. People who have bitcoin, who just thought ahead and bought some bitcoin are going to be able to relax that day and go okay, so the dollars are gone. I had my dad gave me a million dollar note and the million dollar note was a Confederate million dollars. Confederate money. Wow, but the South. I said, oh great, what can I spend it on it? And he said nothing, And I said, what do you mean? He said, the South lost the war, and so everybody wanted to They printed money. It was inflationary, it was all this stuff. But the only dollars anybody would take were the Union dollars because they won the war, and so the Confederate money became worthless. The same thing is happening now. It's happening slowly, but it's happening. We're huge inflation in the dollar. It's getting to be worth less and less in a shorter and shorter time. Meanwhile, the purchases in power a bitcoin it's much higher relative to the dollar. So you know, no wonder Warren Buffett's screaming, yeah Jamie now and no wonder Jamie Diamond screaming. They're controlling all the dollars. It's not going to go well for them unless they unless they get on the boat.
Speaker 2: So, Tim, what are your thoughts on what the future of currency may look like in context of what you're saying. Is it that they solve the fiat currency problem by making it digital. Maybe a CBDC, but it's backed by goal, it's going to be backed by bitcoin, Or to what you're saying, we are going to a bigcoin standard. It's not going to happen overnight, but maybe in fifty years that is the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's less than fifty years, but I think it's ten. But I was optimistic on my last prediction, so maybe it's more than five. But I have always looked at stable coins as a bridge to bitcoin. I think eventually we're all going to bitcoin, but stable coins are a good bridge, and they're all based on the dollar or the dollar, euro, yen or the something. Right. Well, when the dollar collapses and inflates out of business, so does the USDC and USDT, So you've got to I mean, sure, it's more efficient, it's a better way to move dollars around. Those things are better. It's just better to hold. But it's really a bridge to bitcoin, where you have a currency where we know how many there are out there. No government can go in there and start screwing around with it and change the number of you know, nira or pesos or whatever, just because they're the king of their land. So we're gonna this is coming, do you foresee?
Speaker 2: Though, similar to what happened with gold. You remember the United States had confiscated people's goal i know, bigcoin.
Speaker 1: Due to these, they standardized on gold and then they went uh oh yeah, And that was a good thing because going first going on the gold standard was good, and then going off the gold standard was good because when you were on the gold standard, you knew exactly what was in the currency, and going off the gold standard, you allowed people to move more currency based on the full faith and credit of the American government. But now what happens with bitcoin. You get the trust that you had with gold with bitcoin, and then you have the second the second layer, double second and third layer. Are they called layers somehow, I'm a metal block of bitcoin. So you got Bitcoin that's a blockchain and it's a slow blockchain. Then you've got the second what do they call it? Layer two? Yeah, so you got the layer twos and layer threes. They're like when you go off the gold standard. So they allow people to go off and go trade as much as they want on other blockchains, on other side chains, and then come back and equalize on the Bitcoin blockchain. So they'll go off and they'll trade on Lightning Network or on you know, any any number of these side chains, and then they'll, after a lot of transactions, then they will remedy or or reenact on the Bitcoin blockchain, which moves slower but keeps absolutely perfect records. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So do you foresee or do you believe that the ETFs are almost a Trojan Horse. They're good in the short term. They allow people to get exposure. Takes bitcoin into the mainstream, into Wall Street, but you don't actually hold it. I believe in self custody. What what what would be your recommendation to investors who are watching listening to this.
Speaker 1: You know it's easier to hold in the ETF than it is to do self custody. It's just easy. You call your broker, I want to buy bitcoin, Get me some bitcoin. It gets you to the bitcoin. It's like easy. But all you're doing with an ETF is betting on it going up or down relative to the dollar. Well, if the dollar goes away, I'm not sure what happens to your ETF, but I do know that I would rather hold an ETF of bitcoin than to hold on to a dollar. But I'd rather hold the bitcoin itself than to hold an ETF a bitcoin. Yeah, so there's a a three three different levels of what I perceived to be risk. And yes, you're exactly right. In fact, I haven't ever bought an ETF, but I'm kind of tempted by Kathy Woods ETF because she's really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had Kathy on We've had a lot of conversations around these things. And and obviously she's she's going to be in favor of the ETF because ARC has one. But you know, I tried to tell people that I come across, look, okay, maybe dabbling ETF, but wholesome on a on your private hardware wallet, just keep it. It's yours, your private keys. No one can take that away from you.
Speaker 1: No question. I mean, if you best advice bitcoin on Ledger, yeah you want to do something that was what that was a b o L was what everybody was saying when they when Silicon Valley Bank went out of business. They were all going bo L or boc bitcoin on uh coin based, but it was it was bo L. You know, bitcoin on Ledger and and Ledger is now actually easier to use than it used to be, so that's kind of nice. The new Ledgers stacks, it's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they keep them doing iterations and it's getting much better and easier for the common average Joe to use it.
Speaker 1: So that's great. Yeah, those other the old ones were very cluegy, but now Ledger is a great thing.
Speaker 2: Now you mentioned earlier you bought thirty thousand big coins from the US Marshall's service auction. If I'm not mistaking, you said you're still holding those bigcoins and you continue to answer your portfolio, So is this a long term.
Speaker 1: But I've invested some, I actually have bought more, invested's given some away. But yeah, I'm a huddler, you know. And it's the easiest thing in the world to do. You put it away and you just go, yeah, that's it. Fact, I don't even know if somebody said here, you got to get all your bitcoin out, I go, I think I need like fifteen people to do that.
Speaker 2: So in addition to your bitcoin holdings, I know you're fund to invest in different companies like Proppy, I've read tasos. Are there other all coin projects if you want to call them, that you're investing in. Are you investing in companies that are building an infrastructure like your wallet services and so forth?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have Arkham. We did a big investment of Arkham. We think that what they've done, that guy is just so brilliant and he's done extraordinary things and he's he's putting names attached to bitcoin wallets. And of course the US Marshal's Office is always very interested in what they're doing over at Arkham, and then they have a token which people need to use to find out who is who owns what wallet or what wallets are doing what and and that token has done very very well too, So that's been a great success for us. We've had bezos bank or Propy way back when we did handshake. Yeah, so we've had quite a few, and more recently we've got a bunch of investments in companies that are issuing tokens for one purpose or another. But before anybody issues a token in my portfolio, I always say, what is the purpose? Why is someone going to pay real fiat dollars or real bitcoin dollar bitcoins to buy your token? Why? And they've got to have a real reason and after just other than speculation or whatever. Right, And sure, DeFi is important to create more liquidity in the marketplace and all that stuff, But I think the most important use is of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are retail use, which is coming, investment use, and running businesses use because you're going to want to run your business without having accounting, auditing, bookkeeping, whatever, you want to run it just that way. And then smart contracts because you can create a great contract say, you know, I invest in you with twenty bitcoin, you give me ten percent of your business, and we're off to the races, and we can do that all on a smart contract, and even in the negotiation we can tweak the smart contract and then everything gets written up in legal ees. But the smart contract is the thing that drives the whole deal. So that I think those are probably the best uses now, all sorts of uses to the blockchain, all sorts of uses to a wallet. You can hold everything from your passport to your real estate deed, to your bitcoin, to your ordinals, to your whatever ruins. All that stuff can be held on and eventually will just be a part of your phone whatever. That ends up being.
Speaker 2: Ryan question about the future of fundraising. Obviously you're in the venture world, you're investing in companies, but we saw in twenty seventeen the ICO boom. Do you feel that is the future of fundraising where you can crowdsource globally and do with companies and entrepreneurs still need folks like yourself, or maybe you can serve as a middleman to help facilitate an ICO so to speak.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on that? Yeah, I think venture capitalists will start being more value add particularly if good entrepreneurs can raise money from the masses some other way. And for a while there it did look like icos were just going to be the way everybody's going to raise their money through an ICO, and in effect what they were doing is day one for their business. They were going public. Yeah, and that's interesting. The SEC went after all the groups that were trying to comply and they left alone FTX and I mean no method to their men. So yeah, I think that there will be other ways to raise money, and that's just Tokens are a type of ownership. Stock is another type of ownership, and when we invest in a company, we usually take both.
Speaker 2: That makes sense, Tim, because you brought up the SEC and I just recently had Hester purs Commissioner on the podcast and we were talking about cryptoregulations and so forth. But going back to twenty eighteen, you spoke to now chair Gary Ginzer, but he was I think he had I don't think he would. No, he was not at the SEC.
Speaker 1: Then now that he's a professor at MIT.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you had an incredible foresight where you told him how this industry would be attacked with the press mentions the weaponization of regulators, the government, friends being called up, and I don't know, I can't we can't prove this, but most likely Jamie.
Speaker 1: Became one of those weapons.
Speaker 2: Yes, what the hell do you look back?
Speaker 1: I mean looking back?
Speaker 2: Are you like you were like an oracle? I mean, do you foretold exactly what's going to happen?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I've lived a long time, so I can predict with better accuracy than somebody who hasn't lived a long time. But I've also lived meeting entrepreneurs and they are always telling me about what they think the future is going to look like. And so whenever I hear one, I go, huh, how's that going to affect everything else? And that's where, you know, I kind of feel like, Okay, I do have a little bit of an edge in being able to predict what the future will hold. And it's kind of funny because people come to me and they go, yeah, that thing you said ten years ago happen And I look at him and I go, what thing? I don't remember? I just say what I just tell it the way it is, and I tell it the way I expected to go. And then ten years later people go Oh yeah, I went just the way you said. And it's nice of them to remember that I did it. I said it, but generally I don't remember.
Speaker 2: So, Tim, what do you think about the legal battle? So, because you know, Ripple, I think was the first to really get to the big major lawsuit.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They came out with that with a partial victory where the judge mentioned intrinsically, these tokens are our securities. It's very much in line with Howie. It wasn't the oranges or the orange trees or orange groves. It was Howie's packaging his scheme, Ganser's taking losses in courts. Right, Ripple, you got the greyscale lawsuit and much more. And part of your prediction was eventually the incumbents and the people who are fighting end up adopting this. What are your thoughts on where we're at in that timeline.
Speaker 1: We're getting close. We have at least one and maybe both presidential candidates looking to adopt bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies as a way to encourage innovation because they know it's happening. I mean, the real killer is all this innovation is happening, and there are Americans, many Americans are coming up with these innovative things, and then they geo fence the US, in effect not allowing anybody in the US to try their product. And all those great products are happening outside the US, and all those customers are able to innovate from that new platform, and we're not because there's this big dark cloud that is the SEC today, and the SEC is living in the past. It's an eighty year old set of laws that they're clinging to, and it's just time to change. You know, the world's moved on. And if you want to compete in this world, if you want to be the US and still compete and still encourage all the innovation, all the great things that happen in the Silicon Valley, you've got to embrace this. And I think both both presidential candidates understand that Trump did. First he said, I'm going to be the crypto president. You're Againstler's going to be fired. I'm going to do it and uh, and so he grasped it early. But I'm also seeing Kamala have the same some of the same thoughts. So I'm I'm encouraged that we're getting to that place where it's it's either embraced or accepted. I mean it's hard. They're fifty fifties, fifty million Americans with wallets, with bigcoin wallets or crypto wallets. That is not a voting block you can ignore.
Speaker 2: And tim like and only for my own anecdotal evidence, but my podcast community, family members and friends, there's both Democrats and Republicans trading and using this technology. They're not thinking, oh, I'm a Republican I must use crypto, or I'm a Democrat I shouldn't. They're just it's just a technology, and it's crazy that it's become political. But maybe that's the way to get legislation through, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm one of those rare people who went to the Giants Dodgers game and wore a Cubs hat. I've met both presidential candidates and liked them both, and I'm still trying to figure out whether I need to come down on one side or the other. Both great people. I mean that's one thing you don't get from the press, but both great people both have their heart in the right place.
Speaker 2: Do you think twenty twenty fives a year we see some legislation, make it up to a president.
Speaker 1: We got one.
Speaker 2: We got to build out of the House this year fit twenty one. I'm hearing talk from Chuck Schumer and top Republicans that we can get something through the lean duck session through the Senate. Do you think twenty twenty five is a year.
Speaker 1: Well, what I'm hoping is not that there is some legislation that crosses. In fact, actually Clinton was brilliant when the Internet came out. Everybody said tax that Internet, regulate that Internet, get rid of that Internet. They were doing the same thing that they're doing to bitcoin net, and he just said, let's just see how it goes. And by seeing how it goes and not putting like a dark cloud over every entrepreneur trying something new, he he really allowed us to create some incredible businesses, trillion dollar businesses that would have been created outside the US if he had regulated or taxed the Internet. And so part of me says, let it rip. But since they already are messing with us through the SEC. Yeah, some clear regulation would be awesome because it's clear and then we know how to operate. But I think you need people who kind of understand what's going on in the future to try to regulate today because the fact that I can't airdrop in the US is ludicrous. The fact that I can't bet on a baseball game in the US with a with a crypto bet is ludicrous. The fact that I can't, Oh, we've got entirely different rules for giving stock away and giving crypto away. Why why is it? I mean, if it's a currency, it's a currency. But if they're they're going to call it an asset, it should be treated like all the other assets. It is. They have put so much of a you know, I call it the dark cloud, but it's there. They're overlapping regulations that get in the way of progress of innovation, of technology and all that progress, all that innovation, all that technology is taking place in other countries. And if we don't wake up soon, we're going to lose all that regulator, I mean, all that innovation, and regulation really does kill innovation. So the regulators have to be open to future, allow future experiments to happen. I was at this Harvard Business School reunion and the guy said, the success of a business long term is how many experiments an hour that business runs. And he compared having an idea and a big business and having to get it through your boss and your boss's boss, and possibly before it eventually gets to see the light. Versus an innovator who comes up with something and he goes to fifty different venture capitalists on sand Hill Road and he only needs one of them to say yes. I think that that attitude needs to happen in innovation, and the regulators need to allow things to rip for a while before they think, hey, something dangerous has happened, as opposed to thinking something dangerous might happen, and so whatever might happen, we're going to make illegal now. I mean, that's really backward thinking, and that will push the US into the dark ages, and you might see countries like El Salvador and the New Argentina and probably Switzerland and Singapore become the super wealthy countries because they're the ones who are letting it rip. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't tell you how many stories I've heard about folks who want to come to the United States here in Dubai, Singapore and support They're like, yeah, it's not worth it there. Our legal team is saying stay away. And it's sad, and it's a lot of jobs that could be here and benefits to the economy and wealth creation. It really sucks the things I went.
Speaker 1: And we would be customers of those companies. I mean, there are lots of really interesting apps and products that are not going to make it here because they're all the lunites that don't want anything to change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tim, I would love to get your take on what you going to what you expect for the remainder of this bull market. Twenty twenty three. Bitcoin ran up at the beginning of this year, incredible run up, a new all time high before the having for bitcoin because of the ETF buying and we got fed ray cuts. Global liquidity's on the rise again. They're going to start the money printers again to service the debt. What is your outlook for this market? Do you see a blow off top in twenty twenty five? Do you have a bitcoin price prediction?
Speaker 1: My bitcoin price prediction, so my first one was ten thousand dollars by twenty It was in twenty fourteen. I made the prediction. I said three years twenty seventeen, ten thousand dollars. Everybody said, what are you talking about. It's one hundred and eighty dollars. You're off by like two destmints. I said, it's going to hit it and it did, and then it dropped down to four thousand, and I at four thousand, I said, okay, it's going to hit two hundred and fifty thousand in four years. And that was in twenty eighteen, and it didn't. And part of that was all the fear, uncertainty, in doubt spread by the SEC, and that slowed down growth. It slowed down innovation, it slowed down progress, it slowed down technology, I mean just generally technology, and and so it didn't hit that number yet. Well, eventually the government is going to have to come to see the light. And the moment they see the light two hundred, they're going it's gonna blow through two hundred and fifty thousand dollars so fast. And it might be bitcoin on the way up, and it might be a dollar on the way down, but it's going to blow through two hundred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 2: When you say the government sees a light, are you talking about legislation? But also with Trump and some of those, Senator of Cynthia Limits proposed bigcoin as a US reserve asset. Are you talking about both things or one of those?
Speaker 1: Oh? I think any government should think in terms of bitcoin as a as a as an asset is a great thing because it can as a reserve asset. It's like, you know, we hold a bunch of oil, or we hold a bunch of gold or whatever. It's a way of holding a commodity that you know is worth something outside the US, not just here, and so it can bail us out of debts or trouble or whatever. So yeah, I think if you're running a company the size of a US government, you should probably have ways of covering your debts, your obligations, your expenses that are not your own currency, because as we all know, if the dollar gets a lot of inflation we got you know, the dollar is not going to be worth for I much, people won't trust them and they are going to run to bitcoin.
Speaker 2: I'll look to get your thoughts on the different blockchains that are out there. How you see the future running on blockchains. There's a lot of interoperability being built right now with stable coins and tokenization and so forth. And what's your knowledge of how the dot com boom and Web one, Web two point zero? Do you see there's going to be one hundred blockchains in different parts of the world, or they will be maybe ten kind of aside from bitcoin. Bitcoin is different. But like these smart contract platforms like eth and Avalanche and whatever it may be, what do you envision will happen there?
Speaker 1: Competition is a good thing. It's good to have multiple alternatives. That's one thing that's going on in my head. The other is that you're starting to see a consolidation around bitcoin. Bitcoin is a bigger and bigger percent of all the tokens out there. The value of bitcoin is a bigger percentage. I think then almost all of them put together.
Speaker 2: And that.
Speaker 1: Number, the bitcoin percentage is a percentage of all the coins out there, is growing. So some of those currencies are going to have some trouble getting support. If you don't have support, your valueless and nobody trades in you. So there will be some that go. The ones that will survive are the ones that, as I mentioned, have a real purpose and people have to use them to buy something some product or service that they can't buy some other way. So I think you will always have I mean, like right now, we have Microsoft, and they were the operating system for everybody for years, But then there were companies like into It or whatever that that kind of were able to survive even though Microsoft was the center of gravity and it was where all the spreadsheets, in the word processor and the data pass they all went into Microsoft. So I actually think that the DeFi and the ordinals and the smart contracts and whatever else is all going to go into Bitcoin. But there are other all current all currencies that have specific uses that are going to be valuable that there aren't on pitcoin.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you about AI, I know, running up on time. Earlier you talked about your digital representation. Do you f that is the future of how we may communicate, how content creation may be done, where our representations may be doing this interview versus you know specifically and overall, your thoughts on AI impact on the job market and what we may expect in the next ten years seems very disruptive.
Speaker 1: Well, as Adam, my son Adam Draper says, AI is going to take all our jobs. So how you think about that is, well, then how do I use AI and create a different job? And humans are innovative. When the corseless carriage came out, humans thought, oh, well, this is the end of humanity because people are just going to be driving around. When electricity came out, they thought the gods were after us and the Internet came out, they said a lot of the same things they're saying now. They're saying, well, wait, you know, how do I control my patent or how do I you know, they were panicked about that. Humans figure out how to adapt, and we are adapting faster and faster and faster, and we get more and more innovation. And with AI, our innovation is going to take a huge leap forward. So better to get on the train than try to fight it. And I think if you fight it, it's a losing battle because it's too good. It's so awesome to use AI, so awesome. Yeah, I'm I'm looking forward to having robots that go around and have AI and they can be intelligent and I can talk to my robot and say, hey, I forgot my wallet at the restaurant. Will you go pick it up? And you know, and if it's a drone and you know, it can go and shoot over there and say this is you know, my owner's wallet and pick it up. I think all those things are going to happen. It's going to be really amazing. Also, transportation and space, Wow, they're changing in a big way. And a lot of that is AI. It's like you ever get in a way moa car or a cruise car. Oh god, it's fantastic. It's great experience.
Speaker 2: Do you think we're at the start of another industrial revolution with all these technologies?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're in a We're in a trans transactional and transportive revolution that has to be reinvented. We got to figure out what what it is we call it, but basically it's AI big coin, new forms of transportation and space, and new forms of medicine in the body. Those are rock in our world. It's going to be, you know, really awesome when all those things are going to do. So stay tuned and hold on to your hat amazing self. Tim.
Speaker 2: I got some wrap up questions here for you. First, if you could create your own metaverse, where would you go?
Speaker 1: If I were going to create my own metaverse, where would I go? Oh? I probably watched football and I would interview entrepreneurs all day long.
Speaker 2: And favorite food yeah, those real quick burgers. Favorite musician or Ben.
Speaker 1: Well, it was Taylor Swift at the beginning. Now it might be Doja Cat, But then, of course I'm old. So I also like Aerosmith and the Beatles and Elton John and a number of others. So yeah, every movie. Oh I love movies where the entrepreneur is the hero. So I liked a couple of great ones with Tom Cruise in them. The when he when he's the agent for the football player and he takes off and he says, who's with me? Yeah, that was a great moment. Yeah, Jerry McGuire. And then Risky Business where he you know, he runs in effect of House Ofville repute in his house. And I like and I like science fiction, but I actually like reading science fiction more than I like and reading comic books more than I like watching the movies, because the movies it all feels sort of normal. But you read it, read the books and you're going, oh god, that could happen, and you have you have time to sort of ruminate on it, think about it, and so things like Dune, everything by Asimov, Foundation I Robot, all that stuff. I like Stranger in a Strange Land another great book. So yeah, there you go, books, movieseter.
Speaker 2: All right, Tim Pleasure, thank you so much. I have to have you back on when bitcoin hits two fifty.
Speaker 1: Fifty, you bet give me a call. We'll see thank you, okay, thanks Tony eighty two, third two