Speaker 1: All Tulsa BD and move them into this century and help forward investigations.
Speaker 2: So we're looking forward to that. I've heard it before.
Speaker 1: He's a national speaker and he's a very dynamic speaker, so we're looking forward to.
Speaker 2: That as well.
Speaker 1: I want to start out in saying this is a forum, informational forum, This is not a debate.
Speaker 2: We will have a.
Speaker 1: Time at the end of this session for questions, So hold your questions till the end, and at the end we'll take questions.
Speaker 2: We'll take as many questions as we.
Speaker 1: Possibly can, but we're gonna have a hard stop at eight o'clock, so you're aware of that. If we're gonna try to answer both questions throughout this presentation that we've.
Speaker 2: Gotten through the email.
Speaker 1: We've got multiple questions that we're asked in different ways. We're trying to hit those and just all at once as we go through this presentation. There's a lot of knowledge up here and a lot of information, and.
Speaker 2: As Jen we'll said, we've been a little researching this problem.
Speaker 1: Jet for over a year, but we've done a lot of deep dives into this. We're trying to make sure we're doing the best thing we can from the city. Lord of our job is to do the best we can for the sea Barrows well is to save lives and investigate grinds and make this the safe relations. So it's really important that our community supports at and we want to make sure that we're giving you any information to do that.
Speaker 2: With that being said, if I'm made, have you gout your hands.
Speaker 1: And went over with the word break Lord, God, have me father as we come to you not and just be with these persons in this room. Lord, lead us and guides. Help us to be respectful to one another, hear each other, and Lord, help us to open our ears and and close our mouths in some aspects so that we hear what we're hearing and understand what we're hearing, as well as share share what we feel like we need to share in total respect. Ord, just be with us tonight and I'll let you. We'll be done, and your precious name.
Speaker 3: Amen.
Speaker 2: We're gonna start with mister Wildric.
Speaker 4: Thinking it a lot.
Speaker 2: So that was the assistants returning here right there.
Speaker 5: Une raise you, So.
Speaker 4: Is this working sort?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 4: I can talk really loud to We'll know that. So everybody welcome. I appreciate all being here. It's a lot of community interests. I appreciate that you got a lot of places and have a thing like this and no one show up. And I'm talking to Chief Tackleberry all night, that'd be be something. So if they go being here, Yeah, this is the policy decision. I'm not here making policy. I'm a sision of Bartlesville. But I'm here to give you information what the law is and what the law means in this regard to these licensed plate meater cameras. I'm gonna say LPR a lot because I can say that fast. I'm still wanna say, look like these guys behind you, these captain's over here, look at their uniform. Look at amazing they still fit. You talk about this?
Speaker 6: You mean general that makes this all right?
Speaker 4: So here we're gonna do It's like a look at educational outline here. So we're gonna talk the fourth amend the first, then what a search is, and ex patient of privacy, some examples in Kaes law. Of course, my insurers, because I can say something up here all right, bought me a little bit. You can probably talk to my accent. I'm from New York. I've actually the sky took Oklahoma, went to ou we practices two thousand and six. I prosecuted, so you know kind of my experience in this I prosecuted all types of tribes. Every murders is two thousand and six in this county. I've had a part of. If I've not tried the case directly of, I've prosecuted hundreds of child the lectures. I prosecuted rape cases. I've prosecuted traffic tickets. I prosecuted all handled a lot of search and seizure issues in those cases. I also enjoy hostel rooms. So here we are, and I hate power points.
Speaker 6: So here I go.
Speaker 4: So I would have put this up here. This is the fourth amendment of your Bill of Rights. Okay. A lot of folks may have never read this. Okay, I know some attorneys who might not ever read this. I kind of highlighted or I actually have bolded and I underlined the important part for a while. We're here for tonight. Also those who don't know, okay, a Constitution Article two, section thirty, copy and paste of that, well, same things.
Speaker 6: I get it.
Speaker 4: I'll highly have the same stuff. So again, I'm not good PowerPoint person. I apologize, so what is a search me if two averages of search, one is a government violation of persons reasonable expectation of privacy and I circled it must come later on. That's the part of the search we're here for. They're part of the search to the other side, from the officers or government looking for property.
Speaker 6: Not here for that.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about the expectation of privacy talks about LPR cameras. Okay, by going back up and look at that scene is a PowerPoint. What I'm doing here. Expectation of privacy. It can exist almost anywhere. Like right now, do I have an expectation of privacy in this room?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not right, I'm here in front of one hundred my closest friends here, right, no expectation of privacy. But you can have it almost anywhere given the circumstances. Okay, what if it's behind these curtains over here? Maybe this kind of depends on the situation, so it can happen almost anywhere. The words can happen almost anywhere. There's two parts to your expectation of privacy. The first one is a subjective standard that the individual that they expect to be in a private situation Okay, do I expect it like in my home? You expect me to have privacy in your home? Right, everybody expects that. So there's some subjective ideas inside your home. That's the most obvious one, right, you know inside the home is the curtains pulled. Now we can't see inside your house. Even more expectation of privacy in the backyard, a privacy offense. That's less, but still you give an expectation of privacy either a subjective standard okay, and it's not or it's an end there's an objective standard. That's what the reasonable person would say. You have an expectation of privacy, okay. Examples again, the biggest one inside your home, a public restaurant, you're in public. Look what you expect privacy in the public ressiroom. Right inside a hotel room. You expect that it's not your place, right, but you expect to have an expectation of privacy in that hotel room. And the main case that we attorneys look at, we're looking at privacy laws. The benchmark case is called Pats b. Ninth Us the nineteen sixty seven. Then they had a lot of Scinston. Obviously, some examples of locations are protected. We've put a few minutes. Go look through this again. Number one, your home arrest. But you have the most highest expectation in your house, inside your residence. Okay, the cartilage of your house. Hertlage is a fun word. Heritledge is like the place intimately connected with your home. Okay, it's kind of a moving target. But again, you're in your backyard. You got a privacy defense up. You got maybe some kind of cover of your back porch. That would be the coritilage of your house. Okay, that's the second highest place of expectation of privacy. Third, the minion never enclosed ruts like out buildings that you have a barn on your your property, give a detached garage, those.
Speaker 8: Kinds of things.
Speaker 4: Maybe your workplace. So it kind of that that's a big different, different thing.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 4: If you have a solo insurance firm or something, you're your office by yourself, you have you have an expectation of privacy in there. But if you work on the floor of Walmart, you don't write that, wouldn't think kip excation expectation of privacy on the world of Walmart, especially with the one hundred and thirty six camera down and Walmart. That's not exact. That's one hundred thirty six cameras of Walmart in our Barbesville. Not protecting exposed traits like my voice. That's not protected, your general appearance, my handwriting, stuff like that, obvious things.
Speaker 6: Not protecting.
Speaker 4: Voluntary disclosures, open fields. So this is where it is tricky between the privilege and other things. Open fields is like you have, you know, twenty acres you got your house in the area around your house is your kurt how much of that area of the bay, but you know the back of ten acres open fields. No expectation of privacy according to the case law of the Supreme Court, public areas. I like picking on Walmart. I guess Walmart. This place right here is the university. No expectation of privacy, aerial surveillance, garbage cans put it in there information, So I tell Chief michel Berry something. No expectation of privacy also includes bank statements, phone numbers, IPA addresses, and drug doogs. Okay, now, people, I've heard I did a little research here. I kind of watched a few city council meetings, been on the internet a little bit, and it's a scary place, of course. Facebook and I there's an ideology if you will on Facebook that you have expectation of privacy in your license plate.
Speaker 6: Okay, you don't.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's a lot of cases still behind that. In nineteen eighty you guys read that and it basically says good, that's an older case. Right, No court has ever given any indication you have an expectation of privacy from a license plate.
Speaker 10: It's okay.
Speaker 7: This is a.
Speaker 4: Situation where an officer's going by ran a tag car was stolen. They get in the car, they find drugs. No education of privacy on your license plate. Nineteen ninety nine, A motors has no privacy interest in her license plate. The same thing, I won't pronounce that last name versus city of Houston happening, but the same thing another Supreme that's a fifth circuit case, a six circuit case, no fourth union right for a computer check from of a license plate. That's us to be fourteen thousand dollars. That's a that was a federal forfeiture case or forfeiting and drug dealers money just drug proceeds. That's a two thousand. In two thousand and three, again sighting cats. In that case, I cannot fass of really kind of focuses on our LPR situation right now. But vehicles out in the world driving around you have no expectation of privacy. Check being in this room right now, you have no expectation of privacy. If your car is driving in a public roadway, you can't expect it to be private. Although there's things about that vehicle are not going to be part of a privacy concern. Is the car read does it have you know, fancy wheels on it or ten windows on it?
Speaker 8: Just like your license plate.
Speaker 4: Same thing. You have no expectation of privacy. So I was asked about do you VET program? Do you VET program is an insurance enforcement program that started in twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, and it was designed by some older district attorneys to the address the need. The issue in Oklahoma was what're we having this next slide issue Oklahoma was that over twenty five percent of the vehicles in the road twenty seventeen had no insurance. That's a lot, right, I mean, a core of this room's driving here of no insurance in your car. That's a problem people like me who have insurance, right, because what's.
Speaker 10: Going to happen?
Speaker 4: You hit me, I'm out the money rid, I'm out my deduck Bulls State farm. It's not gonna be a pretty picture, right. So we're trying to fix that problem. So what we got to litership do is allow us to use a licensed preate plate reader cameras. There's seidy eight of them across Oklahoma. And if you're driving down the road in Oak and Barswoods, no one road, you're got no one road and you have no insurance, probably shouldn't said that shit I was, I'm avoided now I'm kind of probably probably cost you money now. So driving down no water road you have no insurance, the home office, the distri Attorney's counsel UC in the city, they're gonna get a picture your license plate and the picture you're driving. They're gonna send your letter in the mail and say you need to get insurance, and you need to write this second. And a lot of folks can't get insurance because the high risk insurance. We also have a program that gets you insurance. You've got a paid for obviously, so as in twenty fifty to twenty five percent is over twenty five percent. I don't have the exact number, it was over twenty five percent, and their goal was to get, you know, identify them, get them insurance, or if not get insurance, suspend their driver's license because you have to have insurance Oklahoma roads right for everybody's benefit. And as of this morning, it's actually one hundred and twenty four thousand people have been enrolled since implementation. And I say didn'tet roll into twenty twenty one and the first there weren't a lot of LPR companies out there are willing to help us out with this because they will be wanted, like seventy cameras. So it took several years to get this thing rolling. It really got rolling in twenty twenty one and one hundred and twenty three has a just wor. One hundred and twenty four thousand people are enrolled and of that twenty five percent of the quarter of Oklahoma's not having insurance. But cut it down thirty six percent. That's pretty cool. I mean, tell the people who drive insurance abaying the law end the thing I had to talk about. Kind of Boston, there is subsection g A Section seven Dash six H six Dash one A title forty seven.
Speaker 10: That's a mouthful, isn't it.
Speaker 4: So I've heard people say that G says that the only way you could have an LPRs attached to this program. You don't have to read G by itself read the whole thing. That's not what G means. G means that in the under the UBAT program, if you using the UVEAT cameras with seventy eight cameras, they can only be used for the UVET program. Okay, those seventy eight cameras on Swan drive. Who's man, I don't really messed up now, Okay, strike that POX twenty three doesn't come put on the US.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 4: So that's what G stands for. G does not say in that statue, which remember, g's only about title forty seven to seven dash six oh six point one, but the UFT program, it's not about lpr's on a greater steel. All right, here's the part I get the all right, why am I here? I could ever become here? But the other reason I'm here is because this helps us help Okay, this helps us help you. Right, I'm not here, mister man fun, this is fun Thursday night, But I'm here because these at LPRs. Get us evidence, okay, and believe it or not. I don't just pick up a phone book the prosky, I prospect feel with evidence. I need evidence. And like I said right here, I have never had too much evidence. Okay, I guarantee you Captain Elkins when he was over c I he's over CID now, he never came off and said I got all this evidence. I said, you know what, it's too much. Daniel, Hey, get back to the PD. I don't want anyone this evidence stuff you got that's never had a hesit, not yet maybe one day at LPR cameras and call out a dutch plug. So also pictures, Jerry's who don't dread didn't before anybody a few of you was a good you kidding? No, I've got thumbs down, all right, all right, so we kind of one forever. Pictures are worth a thousand workers, right, I mean, if you have a picture of a vehicle in a place it shouldn't be, or even a picture of a murderer driving away from the vehicle and in that vehicle we just killed somebody a thousand words, right, that's way more to me talking in front of a jury. If I could show a picture of the killers suv driving from the crime scene. Big deal pictures. Juris expect pictures. It corroborates things too. We've had cases since LPR been in Marksville. We've been able to corroborate things or just corroborate things because it didn't happen. And that's just as important. I could forget. If somebody tells you a story and say, hey, I was over on so and so Street when it went down and their car wasn't, it could be a problem for them, right. Corroboration's huge in cases, and it helps find the other evidence of a crime. We had a really bad murder here by Adams Golf Course a few years ago, and thankfully everyone in that not everyone, but most people in that neighborhood had ring doorbellt cameras and other kinds of abils in their house. But for that we don't saw that crime. Okay, But if we'd have had an LPR cameras on the we could have tracked this vehicle through Bartlesville. This vehicle was going through all the neighborhoods in Martlesville breaking into our cars Oliver Bartlesville all night long until a guy said, try to stop these kids from doing it. Got shot in the face. Okay, if we'd have had an LPR camera, But if we'd have quickly been to find out who that car was, tracked the car quicker and probably found more evidence than may have found a gun. But this is what hoping LPR cameras can do for us. The DA's offs to do for you in this end, Washington County. My biggest thing too is like find people and find children quickly. Okay, Like I'm the DA because I want to protect children. That's my biggest thing in protecting children. And I just I just I just watched the program on the Peacock Network about a documentary about you know, Amber alerts are better Amber alerts.
Speaker 6: He doesn't.
Speaker 4: Amber is a girl's name. Amber is a girl Arlington, Texas that was killed nineteen ninety six, and they had a description of the vehicle nineteen ninety six, they couldn't find finders who's found dead four days later. That's who Amber is. If we had LPR cameras, we might find Amber four days Right. It is my nightmare for one of these guys to call me and say kids can snatch out the.
Speaker 6: School yard, right, my nightmare.
Speaker 4: And if we have LPR, can we can find these kids? If we want to stop crime, help crime, solve crime. Man, this is where it's at. This is a big ticket for me.
Speaker 10: Okay, So.
Speaker 4: Doesn't make Barlsville, Washington County safer. Absolutely, you can't say it doesn't make it safe. Yeah, I said, air availables a resource. People come in my office all the time concerned, concern, right, their car has been stolen, something's happened to them, and I want to tell them that every available resource is being used to soalve that crime, to get their car back to whatever we got to do to help their step person. It's gonna be tough to say every resource is being used about these cameras, right, because they're gonna tell me, well, Detective White and Tulsa PD, he's got two hundred and twenty two cameras. If he saw and cries enough and rite with these things, where are you doing?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 4: That's the conversation we're gonna have from the DA's office. So that's why I get why I'm here. Organized crime. I don't mean the mob folks. We don't have the mobs on the Marblesville.
Speaker 6: I mean more like carburdar.
Speaker 10: Stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Guys, there are people who's the that's kind of their job is to break into our cars, right if you help to identify that, like their drug yards who carry major weight with guns and they shoot people in this town. We've had drug yards. He'd make tens of thousands of dollars a month, which you know, that's a good living. Now, I think we're gonna tax free ten thousand dollars in months. How did that feel? Ten thousand dollars in cash? I'm not fair. That's big void money right there. And that's the kind of drug ulas we have in Bartlesville. With these cameras, we have identified traffic right, organize retail thefts of We have a lot of this affecting some of our stores here in Martlesville.
Speaker 9: Our next slides.
Speaker 6: This is kind of ridiculous.
Speaker 4: I was told yesterday you can't even smell the perfuman alta anymore. They give misrebul I had no idea to yesterday because and that's directly because of people out of tulsa sorry type of life who come up here to Barblesville and they hit our stores. And fifty is kind of a big, big of this and that's a problem with Marbles School, that's a problem with Walmart. Is a problem to Alta Probam lows. These are places we need in this town to build an economy, for a tax space, things like that in this town. And that's a real thing is happening in this town all the time, organized retail theft. There are people who every day are stealing stuff from our stores on Facebook Marketplace. Every day this happens and it'd be great to be identify them quickly and buy these these folks. So if that's my name, that's who I am, that's my phone number, that's my emails. I talk to these forums like every year I have. I'm forced to come these forums and talk, which is fine. I do most of the time by teeth.
Speaker 10: I col very.
Speaker 4: But I see this all the time. People ask me all the time, Hey, I got this one thing going on. He helped me out. If I know about it, I can try to help you out.
Speaker 6: Email me.
Speaker 4: Okay. I was on Facebook the other day and somebody said that all this horrible thing had happened to them, and thankfully someone said before I got to say it, have you called law enforcement? Well, no, I've put on Facebook First, that's how you saw crimes in Oklahoma? Now right, No, guys, put it on Facebook. It's fantastic, but you know, or tell them the Xeberator prize. Huh baby, But also clue me in on it. Okay, I don't know about the drug ever down the street.
Speaker 6: Let me know.
Speaker 4: I don't know about the party house given teenagers alcohol and booze in marijuana. Let me know. Okay, let the police department know. Facebook's good too, But I'd like to know the first hand to emot. Can I get will Drake have your district attorney? I'd like to a lot of questions later on.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you?
Speaker 2: Will you appreciate it?
Speaker 1: Also, I want to add that one of the cameras that we have hit down was purchased by the District Attorney's office.
Speaker 2: Just apartment his effort, uh.
Speaker 12: Gorminder of the bus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I'll tell you what it does say to sag So we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, with that, we'll have Kristen with flock cameras come forward and give him her presentation again.
Speaker 2: At the end of this will allow for questions, h see.
Speaker 13: Okay, Then good evening, everyone, Oh turn locked, good evening.
Speaker 14: Everyone again, my name is Kristen McLoud. I'm a community engagement manager with Block Safety, and as Hector mentioned, our team we have the privilege of coming to communities like yours and sharing information about Flock and helping answering answering questions about our technology. I can't thank you enough for the interest and civic engagement tonight. This is probably one of the largest crowds we've had, and we attend many city council meetings and meetings, so we genuinely appreciate your interest in this and again thank you for your time this evening. I'll start a little bit of little bit of history about the company itself. Block was founded back in twenty seventeen after our CEO, Garrett Langley, actually experienced an uptick of crime in his own neighborhood.
Speaker 13: Impacted. He was impacted, and they.
Speaker 14: Got frustrated and in conversations with their law enforcement, realized that they just didn't have the evidence needed to help solve these crimes and put a stop to what was happening in their neighborhood. So Garrett, an engineer by trade, had many conversations with local law enforcement and said, you know, hey, we've provided personal doorbell footage. Like mister Drake mentioned, why can't we impact and stop these crimes?
Speaker 13: And he learned that it was really critical to have vehicle information.
Speaker 14: Over the vast majority of crimes are committed in conjunction with use of a vehicle, so having a license plate number, our vehicle description was really important in a really critical investigative lead. After those conversations, Garrett set out and created a company to provide law enforcement and communities with tools to provide that critical information, those critical investigative leads. And he started with our flagship product, which is a license plate reader, which we'll focus on today. We started to learn that across the country, law enforcement was really strange with resources to make matters worse, it's getting really hard to recruit and retain officers.
Speaker 5: We asked a lot of.
Speaker 13: Our first responders, a lot of our law enforcement.
Speaker 14: They wear many hats, they solve a variety of different problems, and the job is tough.
Speaker 13: So in listening to our.
Speaker 14: Law enforcement customers, we have since expanded our platform to add even more tools and building these tools, something that anchors us is that we make these privacy minded, and we make them ethical and efficient and.
Speaker 13: Also affordable for communities across.
Speaker 10: The country to use.
Speaker 13: So enter what we call a collaborative policing technology.
Speaker 14: And really what this is is our tools provide law enforcement the ability to communicate quickly and efficiently and effectively to help solve and eliminate crime. And that means within departments and also collaborating with regional other law enforcement agencies in your region as well as within the state of Oklahoma. And that communication is really paramount. Crime knows no bounds, and so being able to provide law enforcement the ability to communicate with each other on these investigative leads on these crime that are impacting.
Speaker 13: Communities is paramount.
Speaker 14: Block as a company has over one thousand mission driven employees, you have many folks who come from helping professions who have dedicated their previous careers.
Speaker 13: To helping communities and making them safer. And we truly are anchored to our.
Speaker 14: Mission and vision, which is to eliminate crime. We are helping solve ten percent of reported crime in the nation. Over five thousand communities in the nation also partner with FLOCK, and we're very proud to say that we're working with many communities. So back to the license plate reader the falcon, which is our focus tonight. This is a picture of the actual camera. When these are when you see them out in your community. They are mounted to a pole. They're about twelve to fourteen feet in the air. Solar powered, so you'll see a solar panel attached topically above them. There's stationary cameras and they're placed at fixed locations and if they take still images of vehicles that pass by the cameras and the images are focused on the rear of the vehicle, and we're really again honing in on the vehicle details, not people. It's really all about the vehicle details. In gathering that objective information.
Speaker 13: For law enforcement, we.
Speaker 14: Provide an integration with the National Crime Information Center, So when a wanted vehicle passes by a camera in your community, your officers are alerted within about twenty seconds.
Speaker 13: Of that vehicle passing passing by the camera.
Speaker 14: We're also integrated with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Mister Drake mentioned those Amber alerts, So if vehicle is associated with an active Amber alert, if that vehicle passes by one of the cameras in your community, again, your officers are getting that information.
Speaker 13: Really quickly, so I mentioned that Garrett had founded the company and were very.
Speaker 14: Very much invested in utilizing technology for good and having an ethical product with privacy in mind. That first point and how we do that is that first point is that the data your.
Speaker 13: City owns, all of that data.
Speaker 14: Block will never sell or share that information to a third party, and that is very clear in our contract with the city, and that's a really important piece.
Speaker 13: What that also means is that your department is within has.
Speaker 14: Full control of that information and who really what other law enforcement agencies they elect to share that information with. Block automatically deletes the data at the thirty day mark. So when an image reaches its thirty day birthday, if you will, it's hard deleted and unrecoverable. And what that means is it's balancing that investigative value for your officers while also protecting privacy.
Speaker 13: There is no national standard for data attention.
Speaker 14: Of licens but reader information, so we settled on thirty days because again, it provides that investigative value. And an example of that would be, say a homeowner is on vacation, they come back and they realize that their home burblarized, but it's been two weeks, they'll be able to report that crime, and then your officers will be able to investigate and see there's critical evidence to follow up on.
Speaker 13: Another situation is when a traumatic crime.
Speaker 14: Occurs, if a victim is assault kid and maybe isn't ready to report that crime, it really provides a buffer so when they are ready, when they do report that crime to officers, your officers will still have the ability.
Speaker 13: To go back thirty days.
Speaker 14: But again with that balance of it's not a long term stockpiling of information. No individual or personal data is kept in the Flock system.
Speaker 13: These are just still.
Speaker 14: Images of the rear of a focused on the rear of a vehicle, and that's it. Security Data security is also paramount our images.
Speaker 10: Our data is.
Speaker 14: Encrypted end to end and stored securely on Amazon Web Services cloud and we take the utmost care.
Speaker 13: So even though there is no personal information contained.
Speaker 14: Within the Flock system, data security is of the utmost importance.
Speaker 13: We also really believe in enabling transparency and accountability.
Speaker 14: So in the Flock system, when officers are investigating a crime, a search reason is required, and what that does is generate an ability for your department to audit the system and ensure that it's being utilized in importance with department policy. Block technology also reduces bias in crime solving by providing that objective data. We also unique to FLOCK is we offer what we call a transparency portal.
Speaker 13: And if your brtles FILPD has a transparency portal, it'll be available on the department's web page.
Speaker 14: You'll also be able to Google that and pull up the transparency portal and that provides an overview.
Speaker 13: Of what the system does.
Speaker 14: It also provides information, you know, how many vehicles have PSSD by the cameras, policy information so.
Speaker 13: That you can see what the system is being used for. This is an example of Tulsa PDS transparency portal. Can you see and to finish up so we are working in the state of Oklahoma.
Speaker 14: These are all of the law enforcement agencies that we're currently partnering with to solve and prevent crime. So Tulsa PD, this is an example of some of the return on investment that they've experienced. Within the first couple months of having their FLOCK cameras at the community.
Speaker 13: They reported that they were able to recover twenty.
Speaker 14: Stolen vehicles, six stolen guns, four hundred thousand dollars in stolen property and had arrested homicide suspect. This is an example. We rely on our customers to provide their success stories to us, so this is a story that more PD shared with US. Officers had responded to reports of.
Speaker 13: A murder that had occurred at a local residence.
Speaker 14: Investigators at the scene were able to identify a likely suspect. Officers were able to enter the suspects vehicle in that vehicle information into the flock system and create an alert, and they found that the vehicle had been detected in the area the night of the murder, so again providing that really critical evidence. After further investigation DNA tests, the suspect was arrested in charged with first degree murder. In another serious events, this is an example of kidnapping that LPR helped helped officers to solve. Back in twenty twenty two, a man had stolen an suv with a six year old inside near Kansas when.
Speaker 13: The parent had gone into a convenience store.
Speaker 14: The suspect began traveling towards Oklahoma City, Whichita PD, who's a flock customer, quickly used the flock system to determine the suspect's direction of travel.
Speaker 13: Providing that critical piece of information and.
Speaker 14: Whichitap PD was able to notify Oklahoma Highway Patrol.
Speaker 13: They were able to then visibly locate the suspect.
Speaker 14: They made an arrest, and luckily were able to safely recover the child. And in these situations, in particular, time is at the essence, so being able to provide information to help find a needle in a haystack was really important. And then lastly, this is an example of how license but readers can help officers locate.
Speaker 4: Silver alerts.
Speaker 14: This person in O'fallen, Missouri, an elderly woman had left for a doctor's appointment in the morning.
Speaker 13: She had returned home, her daughter beg concerned and reported for safe An officer was able to enter in that person's UH that woman's.
Speaker 14: Vehicle inflammation into the FLOCK system, and it happened fifteen minutes later. Her vehicle passed by a camera in the community, alerting officers nearly immediately to her location, so they were able to locate her and return her safely home. And that concludes our portion of the presentation. Will hand it over to Captain.
Speaker 6: I just give me a second hand and pull of our last presentation, Sorr, I dead my power point here. Let's see if this is work this this so again, thank you for being out here.
Speaker 5: We're coming out in this evening the person thank you.
Speaker 6: Will Drake also appreciate your efforts here. So we're getting through this as we talk about flock. Hopefully this is so far, have answered some questions as we've put out. We asked a sentence to submit questions to our vpd Q and a website or email address, and so I'm gonna do my best to kind of group some of those questions as a whole as we make it through this very basic power point here. So with that, most of which Christ has already covered, this is the cameras are strategically placed for the most part on the out side or the perimeter of our city facing inwards. So these cameras here will take are able to cross for reference to a few different databases such as NCIC, the Naked Big. The cameras can enable give us alerts on stolen vehicles, miss the person to answer silver alerts and more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, here's another picture.
Speaker 6: Sure this is actually one of our cameras that have Virginia inherk but everything we do is backed by the policy, state law, or constitutional rights. So with that, we have a policy that dictates exactly how we're going to utilize this tool at the Marcional Police Department. The policy here essentially shows that we have to utilize it for legitimate law enforcement purposes and that.
Speaker 10: It's not going to be.
Speaker 6: Open to public record requests. The policy goes onto more to show who we're going to get access to. So currently there's seventy six more personnel with in the Marshall Police Department and we have this opened up to about nine individuals. Those individuals are gonna be our patrol lieutenants, our cide lieutenants, and our dispatch supervisors. The policy also leaves us some room to allow some key personnel to have access of One example of that, we have a gentleman on a day shift dispatch. He's been with us for more than thirty years. He currently controls the ole it's access, which is how we run driver's license and tag status to the state of Oklahoma. And plus he's kind of an IT guy, so it would make sense that we utilize him and his skills. Also the policy, we'll talk about the training on all officers and civilian personnel that's going to utilize this tool has to attend FLOG training. We're also want to go into conduct monthly audits to see how this tool is being utilized. Last, last is reporting. You know, any misuse you know that will be reported and investigated. There's a lot of tools out there that we currently have, such as our Oulitz terminals and our police cars. State law and policy dictates just the same as this on how officers will use utilize that equipment, and same thing applies if if there's misuse there, we look into it right away. Data sharing this is a big one here. Blog mentioned that there's over five that flocks in over five thousand communities. A lot of the questions submitted talked about who is sharing or who can see this data. Well, we're sharing currently about one hundred eleven networks out of that five thousand, and those one hundred eleven networks you can actually see on our transparency portal on who we're sharing with and that sharing could change from day to day to kind of depends on our investigated needs. And I'll talk more about that here in a second. So, Okay, this is a map right now of the current cameras. There's current We are contracted for ten cameras that we had a question on the cost of those cameras, who are three thousand dollars each annually.
Speaker 5: We have nine of the ten cameras in.
Speaker 6: And as you can see, these are strategically placed again on the perimeter of our city looking inwards. This allows our officers to have time to make it to that alert for a stolen vehicle or amber or silver alert. You know, it gives us moment, you know, a chance to get there as well as let's just know about criminal elements coming into our community. Currently, we have to move a few of these cameras. We were requested to do so by the state, so you will see a couple of these spots kind of changed to more still strategic locations, but not as far out as we originally planned for them. So that information we widely share. There's no secret about where we have these cameras and where they're going to go.
Speaker 5: So this is the network sharing. This is kind of a map Voklahoma.
Speaker 13: Here.
Speaker 6: You see that yellow circle up there as Bartizilla, and you can see all the green circles represent networks that we are sharing with the purple represents networks that we're not sharing with. Sharing is kind of a little bit of a deep topic on kind of how sharing happens. If our sharing preferences matches another agency's sharing preferences, well, and we're automatically going to start sharing if we see a reason.
Speaker 2: To query a system.
Speaker 4: That excuse me.
Speaker 6: So essentially, if we find that a vehicle or suspect may go to a community that we're not sharing with, we're able to request share to those communities. And from my experience with work on law enforcement, we're here to help one another and typically that that access would be granted. Therefore the networks would would be shared. So this is an example. This is actually my truck here that I ran. Christy kind of showed that earlier, so we don't want to spend too much time on it. But it's a single vehicle, a single image of the rare vehicle as it passes.
Speaker 5: Let's say that this case was of interest of some sort of crime, which it is not.
Speaker 6: The detective or an officer can download this analytical report here. Again everything's documented. Das love this kind of stuff. It, you know, it shows the officer that ran in the reason it was ran I have community form there. We would have a case in the hard and relive and just day time, stamp, location and just other information, and so that would be added to the case checket if it was relevant.
Speaker 4: It wasn't relevant.
Speaker 6: Again thirty days later, it's being deleted. So Transparency Portal again, there's a lot of questions that the citizens submitted that can be answered here. You know, does this capture faith?
Speaker 2: You know it does not.
Speaker 6: You can see that they're facial recognition or excuse me, how many cameras do we have? It shows that AP currently shows nine, but we will have ten. Our data attention periods thirty days. Here on the bottom right side it shows external organizations with access and we're sharing with.
Speaker 5: About one hundred and eleven. So we're gonna go over to the.
Speaker 6: Next sock slide here that actually goes to show more of those lists of citizens can access this just via URL or Google Search or from the city's website and be able to see at that moment in time who we're sharing with. Another great feature about the Transparency Portal is we have this public search audit. You're able to download an Excel sheet that is slightly encrypted on the searches that we've done in the last thirty days. The reason it's encrypted is it really doesn't show that officer that random search or the tag number that we search. It was an active investigation. That would be kind of tipping our hands a little too much there. So we're doing as much as we can to kind of meet the public and where they're at and with how we're utilizing this tool. So that's available at anyone's leisure.
Speaker 10: This is the URL.
Speaker 6: I can leave that up there if anybody likes take a picture of that to make sure that they find this transparency portal. We're good, all right. So data storage, we kind of talked about that. Essentially, you'll hear see just compliance.
Speaker 2: He just compliance.
Speaker 6: The FBI, you know, they have the Criminal Justice Information Service Division. This is essentially the gurus that are able to investigate in everything with ad digital signature. They have set out standards for how government shares data back and forth and so that's seed just compliant.
Speaker 5: So in law enforcement, we've been sharing data via cloud via.
Speaker 6: Servers for many decades. The two main ones that come to mind is olids, which I was able to do a little research with the olods. They're based out of Oklahoma City.
Speaker 5: It's where their servers are at with more than ten.
Speaker 4: Thousand terminals and access in.
Speaker 9: The state of Oklahoma to OLDS all this.
Speaker 6: Information into your vehicle information drivers lize the status of WARDS. All that is you know, being shared via cloud based or servers through OLDS. And the next would be n CiCe Halloway in Washington, DC's where their servers are at. And again our officers are able to access this through their vehicles, you know, electronically. So with what FLOCK is doing and how we're accessing that information is nothing new to us. We currently have several other tools. So we have a record management system. This is where we type our police reports at you know, has every you know, all the people we come in contact with, you know, their personal information. All that access via the cloud as well. Our body cans with AXON that's via the cloud. So this was not hard for us to accept how we would be dealing with accessing FLOCKSTAD.
Speaker 5: So local impact we want to talk a little bites.
Speaker 2: Chief along with that.
Speaker 1: Also when it comes to data and the information that we gain through personal information information, uh, that information is put acting not only by those programs, but it's protected by law as well. If an officer misuses that program for any reason, he can be arrest and he can be charged with the crime, he can go to prison and loses his career. We have audits in place where we can actually find out what officers abusing the system and we can hold them accountable. Uh that those are check check boxes that we have in everything we do in law enforcement. We always have ways to trace back what work we're doing and to know who's doing that work and try to make sure that we're doing the best job we can and protecting the information the best we can. So when people get concerned about where the information is stored, this is.
Speaker 7: Kind of like a.
Speaker 2: Different credit culture.
Speaker 1: Instance, if you have a credit card and it gets compromised, they can't guarantee it's not gonna be compromised.
Speaker 2: When you get the credit card, what do you do?
Speaker 1: You reported, and then they take action they shut down a credit card. You can give you a new credit card for where you're knowing you're spending that again too, So it's it's what you trust and who you trust with your information. I think everybody in this room is probably give them their information for a lot of different reasons. I can assure you probably when you leave this place tonight, Google will tell you about flock more than likely because they've been listening to this presentation, right, So just to keep that in mind. So we you know, it's been said that we'd like to use good stories to prove why we need this system.
Speaker 2: Where would be silly not to write why would we.
Speaker 1: Tell you, oh, this is a sucky system when it's actually saving lives. So with that, these are a couple of murder suspects Bortlesville murder suspects.
Speaker 2: Young man on the left. Young man on the left.
Speaker 1: Killed another subject, his friend actually one of his best friends, and day Randa Randa, Kansas. We didn't have block systems at this time, but we called our representative that was trying to sell.
Speaker 13: Us the system and.
Speaker 2: Asked him if he could put that in the system.
Speaker 1: It's a network and you have to be pulled the network to utilize it, so obviously he was trying to sell it to us, right, So he put this information in the system.
Speaker 2: We had the young man's vehicle information tag.
Speaker 1: Number from the system already, so we input it in and the cameras hit Coffeeville, Can, Kansas.
Speaker 2: On a camera system. Kaffin Vill PDA went out and looking for this vehicle the by the camera that had hit.
Speaker 1: Of course I didn't find it, but then they re so after some investigative leads found out he had a relative in Kansas in Coffeeville, went to that residence, found a suspect, and we took him into custody. That's how it's supposed to work, investigative leads. This is just a tool that we're using to further crimes and furtherer cases the other centers. The young man murdered another man in bartlsool Alhoma, pretty close to the same area.
Speaker 2: A year into Wichita, Kansas. Same thing.
Speaker 1: We put the vehicle description of his into the system and it hid in Wichita, Kansas. Got a relative to Wichital We located him as the reld of his house, took him into custody.
Speaker 2: Those are two homicide suspects from Botswil, Oklahoma. We had no idea where they were at, and we would have had to spend a lot of time looking for him without this system.
Speaker 3: We had.
Speaker 1: The other evidence was evidence of the crime. This just tells us where he was the last time. When we're trying to find him.
Speaker 2: Right, it's not said. This doesn't prove that he murdered the guys. Neither one of these proved that they murdered the subjects.
Speaker 1: But it does prove where he's at at a certain setting time when he passed that camera. Gives us an idea, well where to start looking for him. Major tool, major tool.
Speaker 2: Talk about this. This was just recent December tenth.
Speaker 1: Well, so if you may be able to read that un though it's pretty small small print, but on December tenth, a man in his stepdaughter, a Mexican immigrant, and the step daughter went We're supposed to be going to coffee, Old Kansas to purchase meat at the market. Momb called, they didn't turn return home. Home called to see where they were at. They didn't answer the cell phones. She got worried. She called law enforcement. We responded to her call. We peened the phones of both of these people. We didn't get a pin on them. They PINI is trying to locate it. Didn't get a located on which missed. Those phones were turned off. Still concerned about it, we entered this the next morning. This mom's vehicle was entered into the system and it hit in the Laredo Texas. What's in the Laratea, Texas people.
Speaker 2: US boarder.
Speaker 1: Sixteen year old child with stepdad. We notify Larta, Texas and the Border Patrol. They began looking for this young lady and this man. This vehicle was found at the bus stop, our bus depot in Larta, Texas. The stepdad was trying to sell that vehicle to get money for tickets to Mexico. At that point, Laureata Police Department found out that this younger lady is sixteen, but when she was fifteen, she was right by her stepdad that she was with at this time, and she's pregnant with an unborn child.
Speaker 5: So a couple of things here and then visits started the case.
Speaker 6: You know, that morning at ten thirty nine they did the search to flock showed that the vehicle had pass cameras in Laredo at ten twelve and at one o three pm victim and suspect were located. So it was a fast result, fast.
Speaker 1: Result, very fast result. So now you have the child, a sixteen year old child and an unborn infant that's been saved by this system. A couple of months ago with go to the departments, we had a young mom bringing three year old child out, put him in the back seat of her car, go around and get in the car and drive off. And her ex boyfriend came out of the bushes and camel gear stole that child out of the back seat, jumped in his mom's car. Mon was a getaway driver and they took off.
Speaker 2: Less than an hour later. After putting this the mob's vehicle.
Speaker 1: Description in the flock system, the whole bloom Hargway troll stopped that vehicle by Claire Moore and recovered that child. Success stories. What is the price of the life. What is the price of a child? What will you give up to save a child?
Speaker 2: My last question on that.
Speaker 1: So I'm very fashionate about that because I believe in the system. My commands knife is. I got over one hundred and sixty years of service and we spend every day trying to serve this community and keep it safe. Trust our judgment is what I'm.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So again, we have ten cameras about five hundred miles the roadway. The cameras again just capture a moment of time. We're the vehicle just investigative tool. It gives us a place to start. We actually had kind of telling ourselves a little bit. We had a stolen vehicle from Kansas City enter our jurisdiction three separate times that we weren't able to locate, so you know that again, that's just one snapshot of where that vehicle was at at one moment of time, so it's not continual, it's not tracking, it's just a starting point. So that really concludes our presentation. Here are mister White. Let exit out of this and it is loaded up for him.
Speaker 8: Thank you for having me here in your nice community. Believe it or not, my.
Speaker 15: Really appreciate the help that we've gotten from Martlesville Police Department here. And your police station here is top notch, so you guys have figured that out. You have a really nice station. Your police department is really a high caliber of people, so you're really lucky here in this community.
Speaker 16: I'm going to give you a glimpse into a couple of homicides, a small glimpse, and you're going to see the value in the importance of the technology that exists, and I'm not going to get it.
Speaker 8: I did take the liberty.
Speaker 15: I know you told me not to, but I did add a little bit just to kind of remind people here as to the technology that everybody in this room has had.
Speaker 8: Moments in your life where you're like, boy, I don't know about that. That technology scares me a little bit.
Speaker 15: But in reality, it's the technology that people have grown to become accustomed to called the CSI effect. When you guys are like, well, where's that DNA. Well, DNA is to scare you, believe it or not, when it first came out. I can promise you had scared everybody in the world. All technology scares people when it first comes out. That's our homicide unit right there, really good looking munch all right, all right, So I wanted to give you some statistical data just for respect to Tulsa, since we're neighbors and we're really close to one another, and that since twenty sixteen, we've had five hundred and ninety homicides in the city of Tulsa.
Speaker 8: Five hundred and ninety. We've solved five hundred and.
Speaker 15: Sixty one of those, so we have twenty nine cases that are actually open, which is extraordinary. That's a ninety five plus percent success rate clearance rate with respect to homicides.
Speaker 8: And thank you for the thumbs up. I see that I notice it.
Speaker 15: That's one of the best in the I don't know if another agency that has that many with that kind of a clearance rate. So if you watch us on TV a lot, you know why. It's because teamwork makes the dream work. And also be because of this camera system that they speak of. And that's the examples that.
Speaker 9: I'm going to give you.
Speaker 8: Last year, we solved every one.
Speaker 10: Of the fifty.
Speaker 15: It was wrong in the media. The media was my boss was incorrect. That's not the first time we've solved one hundred percent of our cases since nineteen seventy nine. Actually, in twenty sixteen, we had a record year of homicides in the city of Tulsa, more than we have ever had, which was eighty two.
Speaker 8: And we solved every one of those. He was wrong, so he wasn't with us then.
Speaker 10: I was there.
Speaker 8: Trust me, I'm aged because of it.
Speaker 15: Since nineteen sixty three, we've roughly had actually we've had more than twenty seventy eighty one. We've actually had twenty eight hundred plus homicides in the city of Tulsa since nineteen sixty three, and out of those, we've solved eighty seven percent, which also is extraordinary when you consider the national average is roughly fifty percent. OK So real quick, I wanted to just kind of the evolution of DNA, just to give you an idea. This is back when it started, and we remember the OJ Simpson case because that's the first time that we really got a peak at what that's all about. And I work in this business, and I'll tell you right now, I'm not an expert at DNA. That's for the scientist, but I wanted to remind you about those times.
Speaker 8: And DNA has actually advanced to the point now.
Speaker 15: To the level where from nine to eleven actually where we're able to identify these victims. And we've gotten to the point that if we find somebody's DNA to scene, which once again doesn't mean that they've committed.
Speaker 8: The crime, it just means that their DNA was there for a reason.
Speaker 15: And because of that, if we can find that, we can actually get a picture of what that person looks like. That's how far advanced that we've gotten in the world. This is the advances that are happening. We should embrace that these advances that happen. And then, of course fansy genealogy and because of that, we've been able to solve cases like the Golden State killer and most recently, the Idaho killer and.
Speaker 8: The Long Island serial killer. And that's all that.
Speaker 15: From that, we can look at your pictures on a bank robbery and we can tell who you are based on that.
Speaker 8: We run it through and it tells us the social media databases that you have. This isn't secret stuff. This stuff's been out there for a long time.
Speaker 15: Don't if with cats that's on Netflix. That's how that they knew who that guy was. There is there the most recently, this is the guy that was killed in New York City, the guy that worked for the insurance company. How do you think they caught that guy?
Speaker 8: They caught that guy from facial recognition.
Speaker 6: How do they catch it?
Speaker 15: Because of surveillance cameras. It's what's going on. They're everywhere, this program that they're talking about here. I think what makes people nervous is because the cops are purchasing or the cities are purchasing these If they were not the only ones purchasing them, communities or the neighborhood watch programs and neighborhoods are purchasing these cameras. Also that's how they were able to track this guy down. All right, So let's talk Flock. There's forty two states throughout this country that are actually legalizing this technology.
Speaker 8: And this is where I found. I may be wrong, Flock, and I'm sorry, but that's what I found on the internet.
Speaker 15: Probably close to five thousand communities and over seven hundred thousand crimes each year is solved by this camera system.
Speaker 8: It's amazing.
Speaker 15: It's the best thing that's happened in my career. And I've been a cop for twenty six years. I can't believe how good this system is.
Speaker 6: This is a go to for us.
Speaker 2: So as far as this is just a.
Speaker 8: Community, and this is in South Bend, Indiana, just to kind of show you the numbers there where it helped. This is just an old picture.
Speaker 15: We have tank readers. These things have been going on forever Indian communities in city of Tulsa. If you have a police car that's behind you, they just took a picture of your tech. They just took a picture of it. But these things have been rolling through your apartment complexes in neighborhoods for years. Who's doing that. It's the REPO men. So we could call them a say run this tag through there. But now police cars are able to do this, and we're able to run attack there. I'm going to show you an example here real quick. That's an example in Oklahoma City, but I'm going to show.
Speaker 8: You a real one. And then in this case, this guy was a murderer that I just said, hey, run that through there, and we were able to.
Speaker 15: Tell that he was in Oklahoma City, which helps us focus our attention down there.
Speaker 8: So here's the first case example. And this is a case. These case I've blocked down a couple of things. These are both my cases.
Speaker 15: These are cases that he said, Hey, I'm but a couple of case examples, so I thought i'd give you some.
Speaker 8: This is how it works, okay, and this is the value of these type of the system. Just to give you the basics of this.
Speaker 15: Dozens of gunshots fired into an airbnb close to downtown dozens. Okay, there's no witnesses, there's no surveillance cameras there, there is nothing to work with other than the fact that we've got two calimbers, which to us that looks to us that we've got at least.
Speaker 8: Two shooters, probably two shooters okay.
Speaker 15: And we got no why witnesses, we've got no vehicle information, we've got no surveillance cameras in the area, which is you know, it's one of my cases, so I'm used to this.
Speaker 8: That happens a lot.
Speaker 15: But in this case, we have zero, not even doorbell cameras in the immediate vicinity of where this thing happened.
Speaker 10: Nothing.
Speaker 8: This is the house.
Speaker 15: All of those yellow markers that you see there are basically showing where cartridge casings are that we're shot into the.
Speaker 8: Front of this house.
Speaker 15: What's important about that is is that based on the location where you see those, that tells me something because a lot of these cases, Oh and you can't take.
Speaker 8: Pictures of any of this, please, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that.
Speaker 15: So these yellow markers that you see out here, this actually shows you all of the different spots where the cartridge casings are.
Speaker 8: Tells me that the person's not in a vehicle when.
Speaker 15: They're shooting, they're out on the foot likely, Plus nobody heard anything leave the scene in a hurry.
Speaker 8: There was a twelve year old boy that was seated out in front.
Speaker 10: Of this that was murdered.
Speaker 8: Twelve years old okay, and when we not get.
Speaker 15: There, we have really nothing to work with the technology that we have here. This is another example of the technology just for you to see where your taxpayer lene it goes. And this is called a Pharaoh machine, which is high tech. And one of these days before in the next ten years, I'm almost going to promise you that you'll sit on a jury and you'll be able to wear virtual reality and goggles and you'll be able to walk through the crime scene as if you were there. You won't be able to smell things, but you'll be able to be as if you're there. And what that tells us is that tells us the trajectory of the rounds that go into a house. And they can do that in fifteen minutes. Look at all the man errors that that saves you as the taxpayer. What we found when we started going out there and we started doing a canvas of the area, because that's what we do.
Speaker 8: We start knocking on doors.
Speaker 15: We started seeing once we were finding doorbell cameras and we were starting to find this camera and then a camera on a business is.
Speaker 8: We saw two individuals.
Speaker 15: We couldn't tell much about them, but we see two individuals walking in the towards where the crime happened.
Speaker 8: And then after this thing happens, then we see them running and this is the.
Speaker 17: Track that they took.
Speaker 15: We get down to that area where you see it end at seventeenth Street. When we get to seventeenth Street, the people that had cameras really nice cameras there.
Speaker 8: This is all we have.
Speaker 10: What kind of car is that?
Speaker 8: Anybody?
Speaker 4: That's right?
Speaker 8: It's a Nissan Ultima and it's in a year range likely, But that's all we have. And we were lucky enough to.
Speaker 15: Have a car that happened to pass by that with their lights on, which tells us that it's a blue color of some sort.
Speaker 8: Okay, we don't we're looking for a blue Ultima. So what do we do with that?
Speaker 15: We start looking at the cameras to see if that when that vehicle leaves, we start looking for cameras that are located throughout that neighborhood to try to.
Speaker 8: Find where it leaves too.
Speaker 15: What we see is it comes out onto Cherry Street, which is fifteenth Street, and we can tell it's missing likely a front hubcap.
Speaker 8: Okay, So what we can do then is we can search.
Speaker 15: Blue Nissan ultimas in flock, and we find one who happened to be up in Awasso, Okay, And based on.
Speaker 8: That, then we run the tag, we find out who that is. Then we start doing research on that individual.
Speaker 15: When we do research on that individual, then we have enough. Now because this flock system like that, that's just a lead. We can't go out and make an arrest on this guy. We don't even know who's in that car, but it gives us a lead and something to work with. And remember we have nothing to work with on this case originally. But this is how powerful the system's.
Speaker 2: Making this happen.
Speaker 8: This is making things happen. We can do that.
Speaker 15: When we were able to do that, we were able to write a search more on this guy's well no, actually we're not there yet.
Speaker 8: So from there, then we run it through our license plate reader.
Speaker 2: When we do that, this is what we get.
Speaker 15: We knew we had a police officer that was behind his car a stone's throw that basically probably four houses away from where.
Speaker 8: The murder happened. And this was two hours before the murder happened. Why is he over there because they're scoping it out? Is what's up?
Speaker 7: Likely?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 15: Not only that you see a CBS sign there, and that CBS sign that just gave us another spot to go look for video because they pulled into that parking lot of the CBS pharmacy. They didn't get out of the car, but it still gives us a better shot of that car characteristics to it. Then from there, like I said, the investigative leads that's what we're getting. This isn't probable cause to make an arrest. This allows us to get search ons maybe to check phone records, and that's what we're doing in this particular case. This is just basically a little piece of the puzzle. This is what we're talking about, a piece of the puzzle. And not only that they mentioned this, this is another big deal. Not only does this prove people's guilt later on down the line, it actually is exculpatory evidence, which means in translation, it also tells it actually exonerates people. It proves people's innocent innocence just as much as it proves people's guilt. That's paramount in these type of cases, because trust me, things aren't always what they appear.
Speaker 8: And I've seen people it's like, man, this guy's had to have done this or something.
Speaker 17: We're all.
Speaker 8: You're right, we are. Yeah, we're going to sit until proven guilty.
Speaker 6: You're correct.
Speaker 8: That's why we want. We want to actually prove people's innocence as well.
Speaker 4: Hey, we're the cops.
Speaker 15: Just don't think that we're out just to arrest people. We're out to find the truth. In addition to that, we still have it. So, like I said, we still have a duty to cooperate, and I saw that in a presentation earlier, and that is based on maybe DNA fingerprints, phone evidence, et cetera.
Speaker 6: But let's go further.
Speaker 8: So then what we're able to do is we were able to do some phone data based on this case of the guy that owned the car.
Speaker 15: We're able to get a search more for that. We get the data back and then basically, what does that tell us. It doesn't tell us that he's in the car, but it tells us that his phone is in the front seat of that car sitting on seventeenth Street that you saw that Nissan Ultimate sitting there. His phone's there. That gives us more to work with. Then we're able to do with that phone data is we're able to look even further. And when we look even further, what.
Speaker 2: Are we like?
Speaker 15: We love quick trips in Tulsa. We love them, and you love them here too, because they're great. But they also have great video, and we're able to see what quick trips are in the area. And sure enough, there's the guy that has that phone standing in a quick trip based on the phone records from the same phone number thirty eight minutes before this murder. Now I know there's three people involved. I've told you too, But let me tell you why I know there's three. We've got two people that we're firing based on the amount of.
Speaker 8: I've never seen it. In all the years that I've been doing this, I've never seen this shooting. I just don't see that.
Speaker 15: But so we've got probably two shooters. And the reason why I know there's three people is because while the other two guys are coming back to the car, because we see a little reflection of him, because the guy that's sitting in the driver's seat hit the brakes about a minute before they arrive. So now I know there's at least three. Well happen happens. We have three people here, and when you look here, we're able to identify him. We also find additional stuff on that shows them wearing the same things, or one of them anyway, as you can see there. All of this stuff takes some mountain of time to even do this, but this has given us more than what we had at the beginning. We had nothing, and then we're able to track back that phone down and find other locations and matching.
Speaker 8: Up where these guys lived and where who these guys are.
Speaker 15: That's all going to add to the big pile of evidence that the the DA here wants later on. And that's what we had off of the video that's in the neighborhood. You see how good that is. Isn't that great? You can't tell nothing from that, But because we had the quick trip video, we know who we need to start looking at. And when we did look at those guys, guess what, those two guys happened to turn their phones off about the same time in the timeframe and when the murder happened. That's circumstantial. That's telling part of the app that's telling part of the story because these guys always have their phones on all the time other than this period of time.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 8: In addition to that, we were able to do some.
Speaker 15: Other high tech stuff, which by the way, we're the only city in Oklahoma that has this ability. We're able to do high tech DNA testing on cartridge casings to where we might be able to get DNA.
Speaker 8: Furthermore, I'll just mention this real quick.
Speaker 15: We're going to going to be the only city in the state of Oklahoma to have an MVAC, which is another high tech DNA testing device, which is it's game changing for gold cases. Now this is the second one I'm gonna tell you real quick. And by the way, off of that, what I was able to do is I was able to get that driver that I know who he is. He goes, I didn't do anything. I don't know what's up. My car was stolen. Wait a second, if my phone was stolen, No, wasn't because you're on video beforehand. Okay, I'll just take you everything and then the next guy. Okay, wait a second.
Speaker 2: Wait, I was asleep.
Speaker 10: I was in the car.
Speaker 8: Wait hey, I was out of the neighborhood when I heard shots.
Speaker 15: Later, well that's why you got me away on a minute, let me change that story.
Speaker 8: You know these guys are responsible.
Speaker 15: Okay, So this is this is nothing to Now we have a lot furthermore of the second case. I'm going to tell you this is another one of my cases that happened relatively recently on I two forty four close to downtown. This is a car that and I hope you guys are interested in this because this is fascinating stuff for me. So basic facts of this. We got a vehicle traveling on the Interstate. It gets onto the Interstate right before this thing gets lit up with bullets. Seven people in this vehicle and this car.
Speaker 8: Gets shot up.
Speaker 15: I couldn't even I don't even remember how many times, but how only two people in this car got shot is amazing to me.
Speaker 8: Only two people.
Speaker 15: Got shot because this thing is real with bullets that you'll see in a moment. One of them was one of them was sixteen years old.
Speaker 8: He ended up dying.
Speaker 15: Okay, his girlfriend got shot and she survived. And all they could tell us was that it was a white issue B. That's it, white ISSUEV on the Interstate of all places. I mean, they made a lot of those. So that's all we have to work with.
Speaker 8: Else that's it. Well, we got to figure it out. But with nothing that's really tough to do.
Speaker 15: So that's this is how we're gonna figure it out, because we're gonna figure out together, and you're gonna see the value of this technology. There's no witnesses, there's no surveillance video along the stretch of highway.
Speaker 8: And that captures anything.
Speaker 15: Nothing, And the vehicle, the occupants of the vehicle, they didn't see the shooter or just think about it for a minute.
Speaker 8: If you're driving down the interstate, are you gonna be just staring down this vehicle that's shooting bullets.
Speaker 6: Into your car?
Speaker 8: Heck no, you're gonna be looking at You're gonna cover yourself. And that's what was going on.
Speaker 15: So they couldn't identify it betting inside of this car. Part of the reason is just f why part of the reason why they couldn't identify a betting it in that car even if they did see it as a couple of them or from here up here, you.
Speaker 8: Know they're not from down our way there. And this part of the stake was this why that the Tulsa state for Yes, okay, So.
Speaker 15: Then as you see here here's the call on the interstate. There's all the bullets on the driver's side of the car and on the rear of the car. All of those bullets are focused in those areas. Okay, remember there's seven people in this car when this thing's happening. Lots of bullets going through this vehicle. So what we do is we run the vehicle, the victim vehicle. Okay, the victim, We run their car through flock and we get some hits on that off of flock. Actually, we didn't even get this case in homicide for probably two and a half three weeks. I ended up getting it and I was like, oh my gosh, I'm so far behind the eight ball here, and they're like, well, we did run it through flock. We just don't know if it means anything. So when we kind of look at this and as we see this, here's the victim vehicle, and then there's another car that's directly behind it in another view at admirlin Harbord. Okay, now this is close to where they get on the interstate actually, and then there you go, there's a white ash that happens to be behind it. Now, now listen, I can't tell you for certain that that's the car that they said white shuv. It could be coincidence. But yet we find that car and we continue to find that car and watch video of that car following them, and then we watch and we see the video in quick trips. We do all the quick trips, We check all the cameras we can find, and we see this car traveling through a quick trip and we can see that mark that's along the side.
Speaker 8: It's kind of you can't tell it really there. It's a little easier on the real video, but.
Speaker 15: Basically that's a line that goes across there, that's like a scratch or a mark. Then what we're able to do is we're able to attract down that car from license plate readers because they're freaking everywhere and I'm not just talking flock, We're talking other businesses and everything, and we're able to see that they were at a quick trip. We look at that, we see daytime photos, and then we're able to see somebody that's associated with that vehicle on the same data to the murder.
Speaker 2: Then we're able to.
Speaker 8: Figure out who he is and then go from there.
Speaker 15: We do phone data from that and we start seeing that his phone was in the area at the time of that. This is basically what you're gonna see here is you're gonna see the victim vehicle.
Speaker 18: Coming up to the to the intersection there. Victim vehicle's gonna be here.
Speaker 19: He makes a turn here in a second, well, I don't want to wait too long, but basically, the victim vehicle's gonna turn there.
Speaker 8: The suspect vehicle is gonna come from behind.
Speaker 15: When that happens, the suspect vehicle doesn't immediately follow them because the other car goes strim or makes a turn. So that guy he basically rips into the quid Trick parking lot and drives through it at a higher rate of speed than normal. And then from there basically we see that car. Now that it doesn't show us who's in that car, we're not able to see that there either. We would love to, but we can't. This is not even flocked. This is surveillance video.
Speaker 8: But then from we can.
Speaker 15: See that's the victim, that's the suspect vehicle. We see that going past Equipper there actually where this is. This is after Admiral and Harvard. And then we have another camera that shows victim vehicle and that white SUV traveling right behind them on I two forty.
Speaker 8: Four, literally right there. That's huge for us. This is a case where we have zero nothing.
Speaker 15: This is never getting solved without this kind of technology that exists out there. It's never gonna get solved unless people are talking. And even if they are talking, that's just word on the streets.
Speaker 8: We can't do much with that.
Speaker 15: So the final thoughts that I'm gonna tell you because I know I want to, we want to have you have questions if.
Speaker 8: You want to know some more what we deal with these pieces of the puzzle. Listen, I can tell you right now.
Speaker 15: I can stand up here all day long and I hear your concern I could see where you're thinking, oh my gosh, the government's installing cameras all over to monitor where every move.
Speaker 8: That's not what this is about. I can assure you that it's not. This is to solve crimes.
Speaker 10: That's it.
Speaker 15: We don't have time to be sitting there, sitting there looking at photos of cars all day long.
Speaker 6: We just don't.
Speaker 5: We'll have questions here at the end.
Speaker 8: So I just wanted to remind you about the evolution of technology.
Speaker 15: Okay, literally, and this is in some of your lifetimes, of the phone technology from a regular phone to the cell phone technology of today, which by the way, cell phones so today are like more powerful than the computers that got us to the moon.
Speaker 8: Okay, that's how it is.
Speaker 15: And with respect to law enforcement, honestly, you know, if you think about it, from their video recording and so forth to now where we're in body caps, I mean, it's it's a huge tool for us. It exonerates people there, It exonerates cops. It gets cops convicted of things if they do wrongdoing. It's good for everybody. I've never worn a camera because I'm too old. I've been inside a long time. But these guys that work the street, they wear them all the time. That's a good technology.
Speaker 10: And now we have.
Speaker 15: Rooms filled with computers in real time crime data.
Speaker 8: Operators that exist out there that are there for you. And that's what it's about. That's how we're able to solve fifty of these murders. I mean, that's what we want, right. We want to solve your burglaries.
Speaker 15: We want to find out who robbed you, and that's what we're interested in doing.
Speaker 8: And this is the technology that exists.
Speaker 15: So I appreciate your time and your attentiveness. I think that it's awesome that this many people are here at this.
Speaker 18: Community meeting, and I don't blame you for having questions.
Speaker 8: That's what you should do. That's my information.
Speaker 15: If you can take a picture of that, if you did have questions and I could possibly answer it. Half the city of Tulsa has my phone number.
Speaker 17: So I'm not worried about it anyway.
Speaker 8: Thank you very much, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: So now we're going to have all open it up for questions. I did want to remind everyone that we need to remain respectful.
Speaker 6: This is not going to be a debate. We will do our best to answer your questions between this panel of experts here, So just please remain professional and we can go from there.
Speaker 2: Wch Dom.
Speaker 5: So essentially on top of my w Chief Nil up there, we have a microphone.
Speaker 6: If we have any questions, we can go up there and you will maintain that.
Speaker 1: Any questions, Okay, if you are you where you can walk up the steps there or Troy, can you bring it down.
Speaker 12: Possibly concerned certain redundancies.
Speaker 7: Pertaining to the juice statute that District Attorney Drake mentioned with police units and other cameras that we're seeing in these images, there's a certain amount of redundancy that I'm seeing with flock that in my mind, I don't see justifying thirty thousand dollars per camera. And secondarily, I'm curious how many of these systems have been revoked, as one that I know about near Wichita than can So.
Speaker 6: Is three thousand per camera. So our total project is thirty thousand dollars per ten cameras.
Speaker 4: Also well that you VET cameras can only be used for the uv appropriated SEBI across the statewide. So the idea is that every district is twenty seven district attorneys, and the ideas in every district gets eight one camera. Obviously there's for people in Tulsa City and the nor Moon there's still waters that there's more cameras there, So those serviated kind of out of the mix for any of this. They're gonna be used for that UVET in church program. As far as just ten, I can't really speak to ten. I will speak ten cameras in barbles Hill. Bartles Hill is only you know, fifty thousand people, but geographically it's a huge city, and I don't think ten cameras is near enough. I understand three thousand dollars it sounds like a lot, but also we've got to figure out how much we use them. I mean, we're if you're not using them okay, also means like crimes down, we're doing awesome, right, But if it just depends on how much we're using them for, and I probably be moved around once it get some expertise and experience with it. What are some high traffic areas? What's you know, different areas? So I lookt they can probably speak to that more. But frankly, the biggest bartles is geographically, and I don't know if ten cameras is really enough because of how the.
Speaker 5: Hearts of the town is.
Speaker 2: A solid question right over here.
Speaker 6: They ca them work for it's gonna be We had the idea that questions up at the top, but it looks like we'll just maybe run this nice select day. He'll be fine.
Speaker 5: We'll stay fluid with it. My question is for mister Drake.
Speaker 3: You mentioned in your presentation that there was no expectation of privacy and aerial surveillance. Yet, if I remember right, twenty twenty two, the Fourth Circuit ruled against the City of Baltimore for their area forty five day surveillance program, which seems to be in contrast for what you said. And the second point I was wondering about is that in the Carpenter case that the Supreme Court ruled on in twenty eighteen, which was the basis I think for the Fourth Circuit's decision in the Baltimore case, and they said, a majority of the Court has already recognized that individuals have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the.
Speaker 10: Whole of their physical movements.
Speaker 3: And in your presentation there was truly enough no discussion about physical movement.
Speaker 8: It was all place.
Speaker 3: But yet the Supreme Court seems to have moved when the direction that a system that totally encompasses and enables are every citizen's movements to be followed is a violation of the Fourth amm and would be a search under the Fourth Amendment and what therefore require a warrant based on probable cause.
Speaker 10: So I just wondered if.
Speaker 4: In yeah, if you're let's say the government was following you every minute day for a long period of time, that would be what they're talking about, the movement thing, you're constantly under surveillance, about a warrant that's you know, that's what we're talking about in those cases. As far as these licensed plate readers, they are on fixed locations. It's a picture of the lack of your vehicle. You're not under constant surveillance. There's a case out of there a education in Texas where the DDA put up a pole camera for nine months outside of drug a suspected drug dealer's house. There's a case that sad that is gonna be a problem because nine months of complete surveillance of this person's every movement for nine months about a warrant was problematic, which I think we all can see ten cameras across the city of Bartlesville and then one individual locations is nowhere near complete the total surveillance, right, the big perfect sense.
Speaker 10: I'm failure pro catch it all a little. I love it. But also the rod bus uh following of amendment. So the question what comes down to is when w.
Speaker 17: Be passed the lawn that has the city considerably all about that?
Speaker 10: You don't the does the fourth Amendment may actually apply at some point? What is that point?
Speaker 3: And how we've been rest not costly you got a WAM whatever that point they would you it's an able to flying line on you.
Speaker 10: I would be a great more rules on them more.
Speaker 4: Pa Oh, I I agree, and as we all know, the law moves slower than real life does cause and for a good reason. I think that you want to you don't want the course being reactive. I think you want the course to be well thought out. I think what their decisions are gonna be. So but I get what you're saying, but we're we're way off from complete surveillance of ten I mean, I don't relign that, but the line is not ten cameras across the entire state. Tulsa got two hundred. It isn't cross that line yet. Here's what I think about this too. I mean, I've got lots of producing in this area, but I have a feeling in Tulsa County is the ties they can be in Tulsa County. If those homicide suspects that attorney's not this, they be moving to suppress all that evidence. And so far we haven't seen any of that. So that's a good indicator to me that is across the line of Tulsa, and Tulsa is way worse surveiled than Bartlesville is with our nine hopefully ten cameras soon.
Speaker 1: I also want to point out that what you're talking about is somebody sees you when they're following you.
Speaker 2: This is a car tag.
Speaker 8: This is not a person.
Speaker 7: This is a.
Speaker 2: Piece of fine.
Speaker 1: This is not so it's not a person of itself, and we can't improve it by from these cameras that you're driving that card. Somebody else would be driving your card. While it does give us some place to start looking, it's evidence. We have to develop evidence. We have tools against that question right up here.
Speaker 2: Then a question, Yeah, not except mister lockeow.
Speaker 17: But my question is in terms of the technology, there is going to get an air rate.
Speaker 20: It is not zero urangy at of recognition will never be zero. So what do you do when you have got a license plate that's been mis rent and then you go, let's just say it's a h run. You got the license plate and miss red.
Speaker 17: Now you got the wrong car.
Speaker 8: What happens?
Speaker 6: So our policy, as the actually outlines that exact situation. Her policy, our officer has to visually inspect that tag and can run that tag themselves through all it's before initiating the traffic stocks.
Speaker 5: So it was essentially we're safeguarden from that.
Speaker 8: But the cases has reported in the news.
Speaker 17: It's been told our license plate rears at a seven.
Speaker 4: Is a lot.
Speaker 6: Sure, but the policy.
Speaker 2: But then they looks at a.
Speaker 17: Point, but they dash, says his computer says a blot.
Speaker 10: But he paid to.
Speaker 20: Make that relationship. No, would solve it all times because it's a blony encounter.
Speaker 5: Saw now what But again, we will rely on policy.
Speaker 6: The policy, says answer. He needs to confirm that he needs to be able to visually expect it and run through this system. Is not always, sir again, asked answer, This is not a debate. This we have policy that outlines that and if he fails to especial fails to deal with that, then he'll be dealt with or follow the policy properly'll be dealt with.
Speaker 4: Next question up here, mister Locke.
Speaker 8: Again, we got a question up here.
Speaker 10: We gotta keep this early.
Speaker 21: And I'm Josh Locke, I've been involved in hopefully might have them interview here to hear this tonight. I work in the space, I've spoken, I've spoken to a number of view at the police department and let me just couch everything I'm going.
Speaker 4: To say with.
Speaker 21: I have no issue with any of you in the police department with the district attorney with anyone who uses this at at the end to point of the technology.
Speaker 2: I work in the data space.
Speaker 21: I know intimately the architecture of these systems, how the data is captured, how it's co located. My job is to take data that is captured for purposes outside of what the data is originally intended to be used for and draw conclusions from it. So understand all of my comments in that context that I work in this space and I know exactly how it can be abused. So my first question is about the architecture because it's the primary aspect of my opposite. My complete opposition is, to make no mistake, my complete and total opposition to this technology existing in any function in any amount of cameras. But a lot of what's been explained to us is these are ALPR cameras. There it's a focus on license plate reading.
Speaker 12: It's a focus on capturing this.
Speaker 21: Unique information about the vehicles for this architecture to work.
Speaker 10: And those of you from Flowed.
Speaker 21: Can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm based on how I can see how this works. Every single time this infrastructure detects movement, it triggers image capshuit.
Speaker 6: At the device at.
Speaker 10: The endpoint, can you confirm that.
Speaker 11: So the way that the blow de license plate readers work is a motion detection. So they are facing the public right of way the road. If there's a vehicle that passes by and may is taken of that vehicle at that point, the machine learning.
Speaker 9: Catalogs what it saw, right, Is it a Honda?
Speaker 6: Is it read is there a bike rack, et cetera?
Speaker 9: And what the alpha numeric you know, digits of the lighters we are.
Speaker 11: And I think the spirit of the question is though, if it's motion detecting, is it capturing anything that's on the road that's moving. It is capturing whatever is on the road that's in front of it. But now, what is searchable by law enforcement?
Speaker 8: I've heard everything I need to hear.
Speaker 2: You've told me everything. Need to thank you.
Speaker 11: Okay, Now, so here's why I called me finish for the benefit of the of the entire community. The your police department has filters that they first they will have to enter in a casewere, so they're looking for.
Speaker 9: A vehicle a case that's associated with the vehicle.
Speaker 11: They then are able to search for that vehicle and filters only there's no people filters.
Speaker 10: At the software layer.
Speaker 21: At the software layer, that's a control of the software layer, not at.
Speaker 6: The database layer.
Speaker 2: No, this is important for.
Speaker 21: People to understand sir. Yes, I'm being respectful, so.
Speaker 9: So yeah, so, And if you have another question, I'm happy.
Speaker 12: To absolutely so.
Speaker 21: The reason I asked that is for this technology work, the raw data is captured at the moment motion is detected.
Speaker 8: The AI and the algorithms all occur on the back end.
Speaker 2: They occur.
Speaker 21: They occur after all data is co located and stored centrally in the in the Amazon Web Services system that you explain to us.
Speaker 4: So what this means is that.
Speaker 21: Everything is being promised to you, just so that everyone understands clearly, all these promises, everything has told you about the system. All of these promises exist on the software layer of this system. They don't exist at the endpoint, so the actual device is city in your neighborhood. None of these controls reside at the endpoint, in at the device in the neighborhood. They all reside at the software layer, which is where which which, by the way, for anyone who works in software, you know how easy software can be changed. No, I'm not getting off sir, this is important for people to understand. Sir, this is very important.
Speaker 5: This is information that you're speaking about that you were not represented.
Speaker 21: Okay, you have the Flock experts here, so I'm saying with making correct anything, I'm.
Speaker 8: Saying, I'm an expert in this field. I know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 6: I'm not a technology Okay, we've contracted with Flock and we're we're sharing how we're importating. It has the purpose of this one.
Speaker 10: We're happy.
Speaker 4: It's not on your opinion of what's happening.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not sharing my opinion.
Speaker 21: I asked this very specific question about the architecture.
Speaker 8: I'm asking about the architecture.
Speaker 17: This is us question you have.
Speaker 6: So questions.
Speaker 21: Are the controls you promise us on the software layer, or.
Speaker 13: On the on the database layer, or are they on the end point?
Speaker 2: I can assure he is with Barswell Police Department in the City of.
Speaker 1: Barlsville will control our people and our equipment to the best of our ability.
Speaker 2: We will enforce the laws.
Speaker 1: Concerned about you, I'm concerned about the software layer. Apparently you're concerned about the breach of this software. There's not If there's our bus in this room have their healthcare information breached in the last thirty days were getting on and they weren't for the last and play readers and you have up. This is a public medium, so.
Speaker 8: Fou preps please answer the questions about the database layer. I think that's I think that's.
Speaker 10: The mad reguard of the system and that did the question worked the answer they might be an.
Speaker 11: What I can say is I I think there was a valid concerns. Honestly, what what I what I can say is we are happy to address any specific questions. I there was a a lot of different information that was being shared if and there was some questions there. If you feel free through the police department, we will have our engineers answer any questions that you were a residents.
Speaker 9: And we I it just for the benefit of the publics. We will share it with or ever when I just don't know exactly what.
Speaker 8: If you don't quite.
Speaker 22: I have a concern about the agri aggregate data and you will end up being able to get it too. If the FBI came to you and ask you if they could have data on a suspect, would you call for that them? Would you give them the data? So that's a great question.
Speaker 9: There's two parts to it.
Speaker 11: There's a flock porship and there's a portion from your police department. From the flat side, all the data is owned by Bartosville PD, right, So we do not own or share that data or have the ability to do that. If the FBI were to request data from Flock, our response to them is that we are not the owner. We would direct them to your police department. At that point, I can't speak au of your city attorney, et cetera. But your popular department with follows their policy on sharing uh.
Speaker 9: And then that would be uh, you know, decided at your city level.
Speaker 2: So would you share the data with the FBI? And absolutely?
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 1: The data we're sharing with them is a lotus plate.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 1: They have access to run that license plate and getting all the information off that license plate. We are here to help other law enforcement agencies. It doesn't matter what usuals they use. If there are a law enforcement agency and the law enforcement partner and we're trying to solve crimes together, we're gonna share that information with them if they asked for it. That's the bottom line. We ask them for a lot of things, so they're gonna ask us for a lot of things. Are we giving them any data? We're giving them a license plate. That's all we're giving.
Speaker 22: My concern is the aggregate data that the FBI, for instance, could collect.
Speaker 12: And for instance J six.
Speaker 4: Do you do you believe that there is an.
Speaker 2: Insurrection by the hublics.
Speaker 10: I'm not gonna be family.
Speaker 22: This is very yourmane Okay, this is very very Tomine believe that J six people that walk into the Capital Building were insurrectionists?
Speaker 2: Sir, I wasn't there. I don't have the information to insperation.
Speaker 13: You don't.
Speaker 1: You don't know why TV it'll get there's a lot of misinformation, so that's we're getting tracking.
Speaker 23: Okay, let's let me let me leave my thought. I do not trust that the FBI corral the right people. I think the people that walked in and got.
Speaker 10: Arrested were.
Speaker 9: Regular citizens and they were.
Speaker 4: Put up with it with the UH the contacts that the FBI had. The The reason why I.
Speaker 24: Bring this up is if you've shared this with the FBI, they could use this to bring in Grandma because they have to be at the.
Speaker 4: Capitol Building for instance. That's exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: Let me read a no, no, this is not a debate, or this is not a debate, this is not a lecture. This is the answer question.
Speaker 1: I just want to read founders or He'll try to answer your question a little bit further right here.
Speaker 24: Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety?
Speaker 17: Is there maybe good any nor safety? That was thank you what I'm saying.
Speaker 13: This guy, I think I was first.
Speaker 25: Sorry, ladies, First, I'm not gonna ask anything about privacy.
Speaker 5: So nobody has to kick anybody out.
Speaker 25: Mister Drake mentioned once, and I think somebody else had mentioned, and then a city councilor is also mentioned the same topic about the concerns of a kid kidnapped child. This is I have two questions, so nobody takes a mic from me.
Speaker 13: First, this is BTD question. Is there a rise on child abduction crimes of Barbersville? Okay?
Speaker 25: So second question, is there an ongoing uprise of children being abducted from school grounds?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 25: So can we remove that question from the scenario we're concerned for the plot camera usage?
Speaker 4: My question absolutely not Okay, I mean, so are we facing off of assumption more facts?
Speaker 13: But if it's not an uprising concern, it would be assumption.
Speaker 4: All just wonder these things happens.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, I'm a mother.
Speaker 13: I completely understand.
Speaker 25: That's why I'm merely asking if there's a rise of concern on child kidnapping.
Speaker 13: I would love to know about two young children.
Speaker 4: I'm concerned about it every single day because I'm response for all these schools.
Speaker 25: Percent I worry about it every day. I carried a pistol in my purse twenty four to seven. I will protect my children, but in the mere case that I cannot, I need to know, Oh, there's an uprising kidnap children.
Speaker 10: Is that the case?
Speaker 4: Well, there's always a chance, and the Chief mentioned earlier in his heart, we've had the sixteen year old get taken, and we have these things happen time and time. Typically, usually it's the non custodial parent is what usually takes these kids from my husband's.
Speaker 25: That doesn't apply to me here. My question is, okay, my question is I feel like we're getting off topic here. My question is, so there is not a rise in child kidnapping crimes of partless?
Speaker 2: No, that's wrong, ma'am.
Speaker 1: I guess I don't understand why you're asking that question, but simple reason there.
Speaker 4: May be a way.
Speaker 25: Still different times, the city counselor has mentioned that concern. Our district attorney has mentioned that concern, and I believe it was either the Tulsa Police chief that also mentioned that concern.
Speaker 13: It is, it is a reason and it is logical right now.
Speaker 25: One because I'm a mother of two children in this city and that does concern me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think you're miss under but maybe I'm misinterpreting the question.
Speaker 13: Concern, just asking very simple, is there an uprising childcat?
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, there is an upright.
Speaker 10: In a right.
Speaker 26: I just wanted to say thank you very much for putting on this form. I just have two simple questions for the Flock folks, thank you for coming out today.
Speaker 8: One, you've mentioned a couple of times that the city of Bartonsville does own its own.
Speaker 26: Data, but there's a huge difference in data ownership and data custonianship. Do I take that to understand that flock itself actually maintains custodianship of the data that those cameras capture.
Speaker 11: So we use sorry, yeah, we use AWS Government Cloud to store your data.
Speaker 9: It's and to end encryptos. So the way it works is the images taken post of.
Speaker 6: The machine learning.
Speaker 11: It's stored there when your department can access it from a you know, as we've been mentioning, your police department owns it. That's contractual. We do not monetize any data. We also something that's important to know, as Kristen mentioned in her presentation, we don't have any DMB records here. I think it was also noted this is an investigative tool, right, so your police department still has to take that image, use other existing software that they have to potentially tie vehicle owner, et cetera.
Speaker 9: So really this is one piece of evidence to start.
Speaker 11: Investigation and just to kind of enter one of the other concerns all around privacy and protections. Please remember that the data is only stored for thirty days and it's hard delete it, and that's intentional in order to protect privacy right to not have.
Speaker 8: That long term intention of data.
Speaker 11: So that is an important piece and along with obviously the policies of the seiers of your department.
Speaker 21: The five thousands, you're saying that backer.
Speaker 6: No, no, only only the networks in it that we're sharing with.
Speaker 4: That's a one hundred eleven networks hunt of.
Speaker 6: Five thousand, but potentially thousands of people that to pot you interrupted someone else's time. If you get that and anually has to lead.
Speaker 26: To if you will for give me one more question please, My question is around flock safety itself. Is a publicly trade your companies selling private private where there can't be any shareholder interests that override the policies that they would normally employed.
Speaker 11: We're privately helped and all our contracts are reviewed by your city and starting your policymakers.
Speaker 9: So we are holding to the contact that we have with you.
Speaker 11: As you may remember from Christian's presentation, we're a software as a service a model. So at any time you know these we will if the city decides to not continue the contract, we will.
Speaker 9: Take our our hardware out.
Speaker 6: Of the city.
Speaker 11: And so it's for us it's really important to hey follow that. But also that's where your policymakers and police department come together to create a policy that reflects your community.
Speaker 27: You said that flock doesn't sell any of the data day or collecting. Is there third parties or team companies that our police department could sell that data too if they wanted to do like traffic mining or like Hey, this is a disease intersection.
Speaker 4: They're probably a lot of like this is a.
Speaker 9: Driving front here, Mercedes, maybe.
Speaker 6: We should market order here that kind of information.
Speaker 10: No, there is there So.
Speaker 9: If you remember, this is also something that's really important. In order for them to access the system, they have.
Speaker 11: To answer a search reason every single time, and so the search reason is only creative. There's somebody that called the police department. There's a case summer associated with that. That's the only time they can then put in those filters that are associated with that case number that can be audited, and then they'll see individually which.
Speaker 10: Is that match stuf.
Speaker 11: There's no like mass bulk of like let me just see every single image today and then put that on a thumb drive type of situation.
Speaker 9: It's related to a case.
Speaker 10: Every single time.
Speaker 27: Sure, and then follow up questions, sorry for this is for Martlesville. What are the criteria that we select to decide who we share data with?
Speaker 6: Like if for some reason there was like a men's Facebook group and on the Facebook and.
Speaker 27: All the police decisions were like, oh hey, we're gonna set all of our flocked settings to this and now we're instantly sharing to all five thousand people.
Speaker 10: How would that work?
Speaker 27: Is that or something like no, we've got to approve if New York City wants to see our flock data.
Speaker 6: So it instantly, like you said earlier, it goes back to our settings. If it was up to me, I would share with all five thousand agencies automatically, because in December ninth, I didn't know that a sixteen year old's gonna be taken to the little ratum.
Speaker 4: December eleventh, I did.
Speaker 6: So to have the foresight to know that I need a network and already share with that agency define what's relevant to our case would be impossible. But okay, it's your question. We have preferences to set that could be in state only, that could be set to a perimeter of fifty mins two hundred and fifty miles five hundred miles, and when the next agency or the next network has their preference that automatically matches ours, they automatically start to share. Sure, and you said that your default would be shared with everybody no matter what. If it was completely up to me, okay, it would just want und to check. So currently we're sharing with one hundred and eleven agencies or one hundred and twelve agencies. And essentially, if we know that an investigation would be good to another agency that we're not sharing with, we can request share with that agency directly.
Speaker 11: Yes, right, And so for those one hundred eleven agencies that your department is sharing with, anytime one of their users searches your data, it's the same exact process they have to enter in a case number as well or reason code. And it's that there's an audit tool that your department has that lets them filtered by their your department and outside agencies and cross preference right for any potential missies. So that's also important to know as well. So everything in the system, it's your police department or the other police department, is audible.
Speaker 2: Dost tasting.
Speaker 28: Just a couple of questions to kind of a follow up on that that one so appreciate you putting up that transparency.
Speaker 4: Website for Bartlesville.
Speaker 6: Get indicated there that you can tell or we can tell how many.
Speaker 28: Times it's being accessed maybe not by who, but how many times.
Speaker 6: It's being accessed for Bartlesville surveillance data.
Speaker 28: Can you also see when those external entities the other one hundred and eleven are accessing your data? Will we see that on that transparency website.
Speaker 4: I don't believe the citizens do.
Speaker 6: I don't spend a lot of time on the citizens side of the audit.
Speaker 4: But I don't internalie we can't, okay.
Speaker 28: So if someone somewhere else is doing something nefarious or not you you won't know it.
Speaker 8: So you can and that the report there, it'll show.
Speaker 11: It doesn't show you officer names obviously for privacy and investigative purposes, but that list is providing you internal and external just searches right, that are happening. So that's an important piece. And then from an audit perspective, and I don't want to be for the department, I believe in your policy you will be auditing out of frequency as it every month, so they are able to then go with their audit and check both sides, right, you know, or all searches, so that that's something that they will do by policy.
Speaker 6: Okay, But there's not a report.
Speaker 2: If someone in sky took.
Speaker 6: Where his mind tag where, you won't know it until you run that audit.
Speaker 10: At some point.
Speaker 9: He will know if if if if that if you run once he runs.
Speaker 11: That audit, and if there's a misuse for whatever reason they will be able.
Speaker 6: To follow up.
Speaker 28: Okay, all right, and then just to follow the second question and think just for the for they on this one.
Speaker 6: So to get location data on one of these, you need a warrant. Well is it pisen?
Speaker 4: They stand up?
Speaker 1: I need sit down.
Speaker 4: It pays on where it's off. I could that phone your hand yessers, because it's in your hands, yourman, your personal property. If it was to like AT and T or veriety something like that, we'd have to see this search warn't to AT and T or Verizon.
Speaker 28: Okay, okay, So my question is at what point does a the flock camera systems end up being this Because this right here tracks me wherever I go, but.
Speaker 9: I can leave it at home, but I can't take the tag off my vehicle.
Speaker 28: Right However, they've kind of decided that this thing right here is like a GPS. You're carrying a GPS around with it, and if you've got thirty days worth of data and you've got my tag number, you can tell where.
Speaker 8: I've been for thirty days.
Speaker 6: How is that different than this right here?
Speaker 4: Well, I would I would say, don't go tell everybody that's the phones. Okay, yes, your phones guys turned on. But as far as we can't tell you everywhere what serece where you're going. It's just like if you've gone by those ten cameras, you know, not everywhere you've been. And as far as when it gets to that point, I think it comes to total survey. It's like if we had like five hundred cameras across Bartlesville and more of Washington County and I can tell where everybody was at at all times, not me, but whoever's.
Speaker 6: In the system.
Speaker 4: I think we get there is a point where it's like too too much, right, ten cameras, I don't even get there. But again it goes back to the constitutional law too under on the tag, it's on the back of your vehicle, playing to you the expectation of privacy. So they answer your question, Thanks sir, About.
Speaker 6: Five minutes left.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'll make my foot I had you mentioned earlier, you guys that flock doesn't have access to the data.
Speaker 6: Is that what you said?
Speaker 9: Yeah, the dida's owned by Bartlesville PD. We do not have access to sellers.
Speaker 29: Okay, so earlier the I just have a question of clarification. I guess earlier the chief said before we had access to.
Speaker 30: The cameras, that there was the murder, and they called up the rep that was selling the Flock cameras and they were being the system to find out the cars were up in Kansas. So I guess my question is how did we do that? And b is so Flock representative going to use our data to sells to another community?
Speaker 6: Yeah? So that Flock representative was a retired officer from which Tall PD.
Speaker 9: He himself did not run the cameras.
Speaker 6: He actually got us our detectives in contact with a law enforcement agency, out of which Tall they ran the cameras for us.
Speaker 8: Okay, thinking, wow, I got you got a question for that?
Speaker 31: Yes, sir, just starting it says in McLean County, Oklahoma, State of Oklahoma versus i'llivet bar out suppressed the un license plate scanner evidence, citing Oklahoma's legal prohibition of the technology.
Speaker 4: So I do another question gonna come up tonight. I actually talked to the prosecutor about if I went thirty today about that case. Here's what happened in that that McLean County case. That's a district court case. Okay, So carry is no way anywhere in the world except for that one case in McLean County, which is south of Norman, Okay. What happened was they're trying to get the image of that vehicle from LPR into aquiminent case. The judge said that they seem to think wrongly decided that you vet statue his decision. But guess what the pictures came in in that case anyway, So that didn't get a chance. Let me finish up real quick though. Yeah, so that that didn't get a chance to be appealed. So we'll never know the answer on that case that that was right or not for that for the vet reason under g because the pictures came anyway, God's gone guilty of trial, it's going to be the state can't appeal that until the trials are state one, so defending gets to appealed that.
Speaker 32: So I'm not referring to the specific case. I'm referring to the state of Oklahoma prohimoty the use. It's been tried also through Tulsa, through the Mayor of Tulsa, that you cannot that it's illegal to use these cameras in the state of Oklahoma. Who said that in the state of Oklahoma, Representative again put this on his sites.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he had. He had a whole form and a study done about this. Risid of Gan thinks that one person thinks that it says.
Speaker 33: That it was citing Oklahoma was legal prohibition of the technology.
Speaker 8: That's what I was asking.
Speaker 4: He must be citing Gee. I've feen on YouTube a little bit again the internet, you know, but he cites this McClain. I don't know risardive Gan at all.
Speaker 6: I don't know the man.
Speaker 4: It's probably great dude, I don't know him. But he cites the McLean County case quite a bit. But again it didn't go anywhere because all because they had just came a different way, right, So I believe faist to him, he's citing that g But we kind of talked about it. It's only as to the ubed cameras that those seventy eight cameras have to be used along for the U beat system.
Speaker 8: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think may be incorrect about that, but I think we're gonna find out for sure legislator this year. But he did an internal study that they talked all about this. It's quite an interesting watch on the internet, you'll, Washington.
Speaker 33: So I have to show you the other because it hasn't study information also and it also has some other references. The other question that I had is could you go into a little bit more as far as the funding for this.
Speaker 8: Where's the funds coming from?
Speaker 4: So the city council in the city of Barsoo pays for nine of the cameras. As Chief Michael Berry said, I paid for one of the cameras through a drug fund forfeiture assets.
Speaker 1: And part of the funds from for our cameras came from ceased property from from all all kinds of different cases that we had in the avidage room. So we uh sold that off for traders. I think we we've traded into some of that off. Anyhow, we got we got funds back for that and that helped fund this project. This was not part of the budget that initially.
Speaker 2: To carry down. We would be a budget em Yes, unless we.
Speaker 1: Get sponsors, and there's likely we could get sponsors such as mister Drake right one time, he says, one time we end up men one time a year. All right, it's eight o'clock. We're gonna wrap things up. We really do appreciate you all coming out. We've we had forms every I'm sorry, we.
Speaker 2: Got one more. Okay, uh uh. We have we have forums on hot topics to it with a police department a QUI. Regularly we invite you guys to come back for those We've.
Speaker 1: Had one for the homeless problem. We've had one for fend are the final forms other issues with it. We'll have the neighborhood meetings where we are your neighborhood and ask you to tell us what your problems are.
Speaker 2: We have citizens do that. We appreciate that. We want to police the city in Borlsville.
Speaker 1: The best we can, and the way we do that is get feedback from the people that come to our forms. So thanks for being here tonight. I know the city council appreciates it as well.
Speaker 34: And mister Kirkpatrick, first, I want to say thank you to everybody who's come.
Speaker 10: This is a hot topic with.
Speaker 26: Serious things at stake, and then it makes me happy to see that our communities have engaged in this and I appreciate you guys being a part of this as well, because it is not easy to stand in.
Speaker 34: Front of a remove people who are concerned with high emotions and respond and listen to those things. I think this question is probably more for our flock representatives. I've approached this with the question I kind of called the ex boyfriend problem. We saw this, I guess in Kansas that there was an officer who was caught basically stalking an ex girlfriend.
Speaker 8: It's the jilted lever issue.
Speaker 9: We've seen this at the NSA level, so we've seen at the federal level.
Speaker 8: But this is now doing thisipal level. What protections are in place?
Speaker 34: I don't know if the software thing isn't only an accountability with you know, city council, city management kind of stuff. How do we solve for the ex boyfriend problem to make sure that this isn't abused at the very intimate levels like that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and for the community. This case that you're talking about, there was a case.
Speaker 11: Outside of which it's a catchy Kansas where an officer abused the system. He went in and searched for his ex girlfriend. That's a felony, right, he is being adjudicated for that. But what was in place there was a couple of things that are places that are really important from the system's perspective. There's an audit tool in place that allowed law enforcement to catch the misuse.
Speaker 9: No case number that is matched, why is this vehicle being searched.
Speaker 11: From a policy perspective, which I'm really glad the council's here. If honestly we go to communities throughout the country, it's very seldom is it more than a dozen people. So and I really truly mean that it's great when the public has the ability to provide input.
Speaker 10: And so from a.
Speaker 11: Policy perspective, is ensuring that the police department has instituted that audit that they're following that. I think some of the best practices that I've seen is that they're providing that it's just as an agenda as part of your agenda item rank. It's there for the council to see as the elected officials. It's on the transparency portal. So that's one way. And then you know, looking at what uses reflect community values, which the department here has talked about, right solving serious crimes, burglaries, etc.
Speaker 9: And so I think from a policy perspective, those are things to think about.
Speaker 11: But then from the systems perspective is can you catch any misuse and that's what we've done, and can you reduce.
Speaker 9: Risk by having that limited retention?
Speaker 13: Right?
Speaker 9: And so that's where why we build the system that in that way, okay?
Speaker 2: Is that it all right?
Speaker 35: Mayor Pika Chief and UH, I certainly have a uh mister Kirkpatrick's uh as sentiments and no, mister uh Dorsey and uh mister Rees appreciate uh the public's input tonight.
Speaker 8: It's important.
Speaker 10: UH you know, these are important decisions we make.
Speaker 35: Appreciate a police department being here with a poor fright discussion for the public and uh trying to answer all the questions that are out there.
Speaker 4: And we've got a lot of.
Speaker 2: Questions answered tonight.
Speaker 10: I know there's more.
Speaker 35: You've got a website you can you can boast your me you can post questions on and we'll try to get those answers to you. So with that, I'm gonna adjourn our city portion of the meeting tonight and thank everybody again for coming out.
Speaker 1: Thank you,