Speaker 1: Welcome to Pose America. I'm John Lovett. I just wrapped a great conversation with the writer David Sedaris, who's out with a new collection of essays called The Land and Its People. We talked about his father's support for Trump, why no one cared when David was bit by a dog, what you can't talk about in a healthy relationship, Moby dick, international McDonald's the word queer, punching down, why he avoids Pride parades, and what he fears most about getting old and speaking of pride over on the Loved or Leave A channel. This week we are doing a Pride special with markin Delcado from Hacks, Drag Race winner Mikey Meeks, Osco Kotska, and the legend himself, Bruce Falanche, plus many more guests. Check out Love It or Leave It every Wednesday and Friday on YouTube or wherever you get your podcasts. All right, now, let's go to my conversation with David Adairs. David saidares so nice to meet you, So nice to have you here. Oh, thanks so much for having me. Ten years ago, after Trump won the first time, you wrote an essay for the Paris Review about arguing with your father over whether Trump is an asshole, and then the next day your dad says to you, so, are you still talking to me? And I thought that was interesting because he didn't say I'm not talking to you, he said are you still talking to me? And I often feel like with especially inside of a family, when you're arguing about Trump, there's this understanding that, whether it's admitted or not, you know, he's a bad person and there's something a little bit wrong with voting for him, and people are looking for some kind of forgiveness or lack of judgment even though they know they did something wrong. And I'm wondering if you felt that when you were talking to your father other people in your life that voted for Trump.
Speaker 2: Well, with my dad it started really he was like a Republican, like just wanted to keep more.
Speaker 1: Of his own money.
Speaker 2: And then he voted for Jesse Hilmes, which was a thing because Jesse Helms grew up in Raleigh and he was on the he was did editorials on the news, and even as a kid, you were like, wow, that guy's really severe, you know, and then he ran for office and it really it really when he voted for Jesse Hilms, it just became a different thing. And then the conservative radio came along, and then he started listening to Russe Limbaugh, and then he Fox News came along, and so then he was just in it all the time. He was in it in his car, and he was in it at home, and it was on all the time like a rage machine, you know. And then when he moved into an assisted living when he was like ninety five, and he didn't know how to work the TV, and for the first time he he he wasn't up, he wasn't being agitated every minute, and toward the end of his life he regretted. He's told me he regretted voting for Trump, which was interesting to me.
Speaker 1: But I like, I have.
Speaker 2: A friend who in England who is a politician and he and I pick up trash together. Right when I first moved to the countryside in England, my boyfriend Hugh wrote a letter to the council saying, like, what's going on with all this trash on the side of the road, And they invited us to the Clean and Tidy Advisory Board right to a meeting. So we met this guy who's a local politician and he goes and picks up trash himself, and so I do it myself every day between four and six hours, and sometimes he comes with me. Right, and he was a Tory, but now he's reform right now he's Nigel Frage. And he said, you're not going to want to talk to me anymore, and I said, oh, no, that's not the case at all. You know, like I would never stop talking to him over that. He answers any question I ask him. You know, we don't, and I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: I'd like to.
Speaker 2: I'd like to know why he feels the way that he does. We've never raised our voices to each other. It's a I think it's a great relationship. And when my dad was like, you're not gonna you're right, he well, I think part of it too. I mean my dad North Carolina. You know, gay marriage was illegal in North Carolina, and then they they introduced like a resolution that would make it extra, extra, extra extra illegal. And my dad was so happy to tell me he voted for that, so happy to tell me that. And I happened to be in North Carolina at that time. And you know, my sister in law, her sister is gay.
Speaker 1: And I said, why, why why shouldn't.
Speaker 2: She be allowed to marry her girlfriend? It sends the wrong message? And I said what message is that? He and then he couldn't really answer. He'd he'd heard the answer on on the radio or on TV, but he couldn't quite remember what the what was wrong with it? Right, He couldn't quite recall those words. Anyway, He's a dick, you know, just a complete dick. But and that was like the least of it, you know what I mean. It wasn't like he was a dick because of that. He was like a massive dick anyway.
Speaker 1: And then there was that right right, No, for sure, But even like what you're saying about this, this the person who said he went and reformed, like, oh, you're probably you're probably not gonna want to talk to me. Like I've never heard a liberal say I voted for mom, Donnie, you're probably not going to want to talk to me, Like there's some kind of acknowledgement inside of it, that it's an act of like not sabotage, but like of I'm so mad about everything, I'm going to do this. I'm going to vote for this these terrible people, or I'm going to become extreme. My reasons are legitimate, which you don't appreciate, but I know on some level I'm doing something wrong, right Like I that that, to me is what I often hear from and I feel that inside of when families are having these kinds of arguments. And I'm wondering if that's what you felt from your dad, even though even though you felt like you was also I.
Speaker 2: Felt it was more like that me being gay had something to do with it. It would be like saying to a Jewish friend, I voted for the Nazi Party, You're probably not going to want to talk to me, whereas you would say to somebody who wasn't Jewish, you would say, yeah, I voted for the Nazi Party, and you wouldn't add You're probably not going to want to talk to me because you can see how your vote is going to make this person's life more miserable.
Speaker 1: But did you know, I know, towards the very end of his life, your father did say really acknowledge how much success you had and what kind of uh like what you had built. But at the same time, like he's looking you in the eye and being like, yeah, I'm just voting for the thing that is going to make your life worse. And I'm just doing because I have some of my friends from the radio like what is that? Like, is there any acknowledgement? Like what? What do you think that was?
Speaker 3: Like? What?
Speaker 1: Why couldn't he Why did he care more about what he was seeing on the television than he did about you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Be because it was all about money, just money, I mean yeah, Ultimately it all came down to money. I mean, if oh my goodness, if you know, if a candidate said I'm going to bring back concentration camps, but I'm going to knock two dollars off your taxes, my father would have voted for that person because it would save two dollars.
Speaker 1: I mean two.
Speaker 2: Dollars was that important to him. It's not like he didn't have two dollars. He was just it was just ultimately, it was all about money, about keeping more of his money.
Speaker 1: So in nineteen I was looking at one of your older diaries, and in nineteen ninety, you and your dad and your brother Paul spent eighteen hours in a pickup truck together driving from Illinois to North Carolina. And for someone who's now saying your father was a Dick, you also spent a lot of time together. Like I look, my father and I don't know what we would talk about if we were in a car together for eighteen hours. Do you remember that drive? I remember it clearly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But if my father and I were in a car for eighteen hours, then he just would have criticized me for eighteen hours. But my brother was there, and so that made it fun that my brother was there. But yeah, there was nine. I often think of that. I was moving to New York City.
Speaker 1: So I was leaving.
Speaker 2: Chicago, and then I had some stuff I was going to bring to North Carolina, and then I was going to go I was going to paint a house. My father had rental property and I was going to paint a house and then use that money to move to New York with. So we drove from from Chicago to North Carolina and I painted the house, and I don't mount the deal was maybe that I was going to get two thousand dollars from painting the house, right, And I painted the house and he said, I'll give you five hundred. I mean everything about my father prepared me for Trump. You know, you someone works for you and then you don't pay them, or then you say I'll pay you a quarter of what you're going to pay me. You get you get a quarter, or you get nothing. So he was always a dick, you know what I mean. He might have driven driven me. You know, that was nice of him, But I mean it wasn't like you're just taking like a day's vacation from being a dick, you know.
Speaker 1: So now it's all these years later and you're telling the Wall Street Journal that you bought a twenty five hundred dollars coat for your tour. So things have changed, things have picked up for you. You're traveling around the world. Talk to me about what international McDonald's has taught you seeing McDonald's in other countries and what it it teaches you about the world and about America. I don't I don't like.
Speaker 2: I eat McDonald's once a year and the Dallas Airport because I find myself at lunchtime in the Dallas Airport at least once a year and there's really no other place to eat, right. But when I go to other countries, I just love to see what McDonald's is. Often like the Grand Canyon Burger. We don't have the Grand Canyon Burger here, you know the Brooklyn Burger. I don't even know what beyond a Brooklyn Burger. But you go to other countries and you see billboards and it's so I always write it down.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'm just but you don't eat them, you just go through. You don't know. I don't buy them. I just no.
Speaker 2: I just write them down and have them on my list of things that McDonald's offers in other countries, like I don't I don't necessarily know what they've what they've got here, but I think if they had a Grand Canyon Burger, I would have heard about it, or I would have seen an ad for it.
Speaker 1: They don't have that. I go there all the time when I was in Japan. When I was in Japan, I spose being a friend in Japan just twenty years ago, and he was He spoke Japanese, so that was going to be helpful, and I don't speak any Japanese. But by the time I had landed, he'd gotten quite sick, and so I was alone in Japan, and every once in a while, and a kind of feeling of overwhelming panic, I would go to the McDonald's. But you don't even eat the McDonald's in the other countries. So for me it's occasionally like a respite to be abroad and be like, you know what I need to go into. I just need I need ten minutes to be inside of the comfort and warm blanket of McDonald's, including eating it. But for you, it's more just sort of observing it, almost like a like David Attenborough on the Serengetti as supposed to sort of consuming the McDonald's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in Tokyo, I observe it, and then I go to Horishia nas Berga freshness burger and that's how it's pronounced Horeshia Nasberga or moss Burger, and they're great. They're Japanese changed and they're great.
Speaker 1: So you seem to be a little bit annoyed by the language of the left these days, and you acknowledge that part of this is the you're getting older and everything is starting to annoy you more and more, which I appreciate. Though I feel like maybe you've always had a little bit of like there's You've always had a kind of I don't know, persnickety old man inside of you, and maybe now it's coming out. But you do have an essay to book about punching down? Is there anyone beneath you that you'd like to take a shot at right now? Is there anyone you'd like to punch down?
Speaker 2: That essay came from when I first moved to New York City. I didn't know anybody, and so there was a class at the Y called Writing Funny, and it was taught by this woman named Frida Garmetz, who used to be a Saturday commentator on All Things Considered and really funny, this British woman. And I thought, oh gosh, there's not going to be any places left in the class because she's teaching. And so I signed up for this class and I was the only one who knew who she was. And the first day she said, what are the rules for comedy writing? And I said, you should never make fun of anyone who has less power than you. And she said, where on earth did you get that idea from? She said, no, the only rule of comedy writing is that you should be as tasteless as possible, and so I've stuck by that every since she told me. I thought, that's a good rule, but you don't.
Speaker 1: But who are we punching down at Who are you punching down at these days? Who's annoying? Oh? You know?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Like I had something on CBS Sunday morning, right not long ago, and I was in Minneapolis Airport and I went for lunch and it was this place where you had to seat yourself, order yourself on the screen, pay, enter all your credit card information, and then it asked how much you wanted to tip. And I thought, I've done everything here, what would I be tipping? And then I saw this woman calm and set food in front of somebody, and I wrote, Then I saw that she was an immigrant, and I thought, how my parents, my grandparents were immigrants, right? And then it went on from there and the Board of Race and Culture at CBS said I was using my privilege to punch down and call someone an immigrant. And I said, and then they gave me an opportunity to defend myself and I said, immigrant is like a pharmacists. That's the word for it. You know, I'm an immigrant in the United Kingdom. I didn't say filthy immigrant. I didn't say I just said immigrant. And how did I know she was an immigrant?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean she was Ethiopian, you know, and she had an accent, so I figured she must have immigranted to But I wasn't criticizing her in any way. And there's nothing wrong with the word immigrant, you know. And it sat on the shelf there for a year and a half before they aired it, And so to me, that's I didn't understand. And even the charge like that's not punching down on anybody, I just didn't I anyway. I was just completely mystified by that. And I feeling that that happens quite often with with writing lately, you know, like another circumstance, like we flag this because you use the word nanny, and it's like, yeah, I know people who are nannies and they identify as nanny's and it's not I'm not criticize, I'm not making fun of anyone. Again, it would be like if I said that Peter was a pharmacist.
Speaker 5: Pote America is brought to you by Armora Colostrum. When you prioritize your body's baseline, you're better equipped to show up with focus and energy no matter what the day holds. Armor Colostro is a simple, nature inspired addition to your.
Speaker 3: Daily wellness routine.
Speaker 5: While many turn to probiotics for gut support, they often only focus on one part of a complex system. Armor Coolostrum works differently by providing comprehensive nourishment for your guts natural barrier. It's designed to help sustain your microbiome and support your body's natural defenses against the stressors of modern life. Elevate your self care from the inside out. Arma colostrum provides a blueprint of nutrients that complement your body's natural renewal processes, from supporting skin and hair vibrancy to assisting with daily recovery. It's the ultimate tool for those looking to optimize their well being at the cellular level. I have a friend who said he's getting sick all the time, getting colds and stuff from his kids, and then he started taking Arma clostrum.
Speaker 3: And then all went away feeling good.
Speaker 5: So how about that For endorsement, We've worked out a special offer for our audience. Received thirty percent off your first subscription order. Go to Armor dot com slash crooked or enter the code crooked to get thirty percent off your first subscription order. That's ar mr dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 1: Poddavi America is brought you by Small Smalls makes fresh human grade food for cats. It's made from the same stuff you or I would eat, but formulate it specifically to help cats thrive. Cats are obligate carnivores. You need lots of I don't know what an obligate carnivor just a carnivore. What a helpful description. I guess we're we're what is it called multivor? What is what? A human omnivore? That's wrong, omnivore. I love being an omnivore.
Speaker 3: The multiverse dilema.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be an obligate carnivore like one of those meat people from YouTube The Little King over here. Those meat people are just their faces are bright red. You can see every vein in their body. Like I've never felt better. Yeah, I don't know that. You know what feeling better is your cat And the point is your cat. God, I keep that cat healthy, and that means meat. Both cat food out there uses meat byproducts and cuts their food with cheap grain, filler, artificial ingredients. Basically, it's full of stuff that isn't grape for your cat, just so the big pet food companies can save a couple of dollars. Smalls is different. They're fresh, recipes are over eighty percent animal pro and they never use fillers or artificial ingredients. Their food is so healthy that eighty eight percent of cat parents say that after feeding Smalls, they notice that their cat has better digestion, softer and shinier coats, I supoom and have more energy to play because it's actually good for cats. If you want to invest in your cat's health, Smalls has giving you sixty percent off your cat's first order, plus free shipping and free treats for life. When you go to smalls dot com slash crookeet, you're a life with a cat's life. You know, good, honestly good question, smalls dot com slash crookeet. That's sixty percent out of your first order plus free shipping and free treats for life. When you had to smalls dot com slash crooked, it's clearly what you're getting at, right, Like there's you know that there are people that will say, like, you know, it may be the case that one reason Trump is president because people find the left annoying and people say that's glib. And also we have a lot of bigger problems in the world than people being worried about words we use, right, and that this is focusing on the wrong thing and the right is hyping this all up. At the same time, though, there does seem to be something where, you know, you have a story in the book about what happened when you got a bit by a dog and you felt like the audience wasn't on your side because of who owned the dog. And what you say in the essay is that people are worried that they will be perceived as not being empathetic enough. They'll be worried that they'll be perceived as being kind of republican. You just talk about that and what happened there.
Speaker 2: I was bitten by a dog. And I was in Portland, organ and there were these three people smoking fentanyl and they had two dogs, and I was walking on the street and one of the dogs that both the dogs rushed forward and one of them bit me. And when I told people about it, I had a show that show that night and I talked about it and a woman said, well, you know, people with an opioid use disorder read incredibly difficult lives, you know, and they're in no position to take care of their animals.
Speaker 1: That's the sad part. And I'm like, is that the sad?
Speaker 2: And then other people were like what kind of a dog was it? But everybody acted. If I had said this tech bro had this dog that bit me, they'd be like, oh those people. I've had it up to hear with those people. But because they were smoking fentanyl, people felt like if they said like, oh, that's awful, then they were being then people might mistake them for a Republican. But since Wayne did allowing dogs to bite people become a Democrat point of principle, I just don't understand that.
Speaker 1: Well, it's and it's the kind of thing. And the reason I think is like this gets it something because it's of course not a democratic point of principle. And I am sure there's a subset of people who genuinely feel when you tell that story, like oh, you're this is not the issue you're punching down, or you're not being respected enough of the challenges, etc. But I would think most people would say, well, that's terrible and we have a real problem here and that shouldn't have happened, and we need to address the ways in which people don't feel safe on the streets whatever, and I sometimes feel, but I do think a lot of people are afraid to say, they're afraid to voice, like you know, right now in Los Angeles about to have a mayor's race, right, and a lot of what the issue is is around how LA has a big, unhoused homeless population. And at the same time there's a lot of people that will get angry at a Democratic politician for being say, too aggressive at trying to clear homeless encampments right when. I bet if you pold people, even Democrats would be a seventy thirty eighty twenty issue. But a LOWD vocal group of people online are there to tell you that you're being a fascist. And I wonder how many of the people telling you people being afraid to tell you that they think it's terrible that that dog bit you are not saying what they really feel. They're afraid of some sort of like online mob or something. You need to get bitten by a dog.
Speaker 2: I mean it's shocking because, like I told a guy in my New York building, I got bitten by dog?
Speaker 1: What did you do?
Speaker 2: And then other on your side, Oh no, no, no, no, I'm saying I'm saying, you would be amazed if you get bitten by a dog at how people react.
Speaker 1: What kind of a dog?
Speaker 2: Was it? Like?
Speaker 1: People?
Speaker 2: I was shocked. Nobody said nobody said, oh, that's awful, you've bitten by a dog. Well, like like two people did. But if you talk to fifteen people, two of them would say, oh, that's awful.
Speaker 1: Was it like a stitchy situation? How bad of a how deep did this woundca it broke? The skin broke this.
Speaker 2: I went to the pharmacy and she told me to go to the emergency room.
Speaker 1: And then I just thought.
Speaker 2: That the people who were who whose dog it was, they were just going to carry on with their day. And I was like, and then I'm going to spend all in the emergency room. I decided I would rather die than do that that. I would literally rather die than go to the emergency room. Another I got a lot of letters about people who've been bitten by dogs like this. One woman she was sitting on sofa at a friend's house and she got up and the dog bit the back of her neck and the owner had to come and pry its jaws open and said, I told you not to make any sudden movements. You scared him like it's a it's a it's a dog thing, and it's a.
Speaker 1: Drug addicts dog thing. It's both.
Speaker 2: And then I uh, I got a lot of letters from people. And this woman was walking after dark and a man was following her, close behind her, and she stopped and turned around and said can I help you? And you said, I'm homeless. I want money and she said I don't have any money on me, and she kept walking and he kept following her, and she turned around and said, look, this is making me really uncomfortable. And he said, I also take cash app and she said I don't have cash app. And when she told people about it, they all said, you don't have cash app, as if that was the point of the story, right where again, if she had said if she had said it was a fraternity brother following her, they'd be that's outrageous to be following somebody after dork, But instead they acted like the whole point of the story was that she didn't have cash app.
Speaker 1: It is my job to notice this. No, No, I'm glad you. Well, it's the thing about it that I'm interested in this in part because you know, whatever people's morals are out this are and there'll be people that'll say, like, oh, you know, uh, David Saidaris, David sitaris becoming old. He's becoming an old conservative. He's getting you know, conservative in his old age. But if a political movement is not honest about how people actually feel, it's doomed to fail. Right, Like we have like how do how do people like Spencer Pratt in LA or Donald Trump get purchased? They get purchased because if you tell a bunch of people that that that they're wrong to feel a certain way and that the Democrats don't have a good answer for their legitimate frustrations, then they'll go to people with bad answers. And so I do think sometimes like it's like acknowledging that, hey, like there's something where we're not we're being a little bit disrespectful for how people feel when they say, get bitten by a dog or or feel like things in their community don't feel safe. Now, it is pride, happy pride? Are you a pride guy? You going to the parades? Not not a pride guy? That's surprising to me. Never I'm not a parade person, right, strike me as a period person. You're a walker, though, you could walk a parade. That's a nice that's a nice way to get in your steps. No, no, it's too slow. Too slow.
Speaker 2: I mean I went to that, I went to a march, the what was that? The New York the No King. Okay, but yeah, you're walking like you know, you're walking like a thirty a mile per hour. So it's not the place to get steps in.
Speaker 1: Ah. Is there anything gay you've done for pride? To celebrate pride? What's the gayest thing you think you've done this month? The gayest thing I've done this month? My luggage got lost and so I had to go to the airport United desk in in Denver, Colorado, and the guy said, if we open your suitcase, we find your suitcase and we open it, what is in there that we'll know it's yours? And I said it's a Burbery dop kit. I said plaid, but it's not their iconic plaid. That's the gayest that I've done in years. What are you doing with a burberydop kit? Why do you need a Burbery brand? What is that doing?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: What happened to you? It is very Oh, it's so pretty Oh.
Speaker 2: My gosh, it's so pretty because it doesn't I don't really like their signature plaid.
Speaker 1: But this was supranded, so brand.
Speaker 2: It's just so pretty. And I saw it in the window of the store in London and then I went in and I said, oh, I love that dop kit in the window and they said what And then I said, okay, shaving kit in the window and they said, that's not a shaving kit. That's just to carry things around in. But it's a shaving kit. I mean, you know, it has a handle along the side, it's it's waterproof on the inside. It's a shaving kit anyway, and I love it. And you know what if I lost it, that was when I thought about if I never got my luggage back, That's.
Speaker 1: What I thought. I thought, my shaving kid. Do you remember when a Biden administration official who is non binary was stealing luggage and then putting on the dresses they found inside of the luggage and then taking photographs of themselves in public places with the stolen clothes. Oh, you should read that story. It was pretty exciting, just sort of the first non binary Biden administration executive was stealing suitcases and then wearing the clothes from inside of the suitcases, and it was not a good look. It was fantastic. Speaking of now, you struggle with the word queer and how the language around being gay has evolved. Have you heard about from people on the road about this that that call themselves queer, from sort of gen z that that that that use different terms like where are you at now? Because that's a backlash for what you said.
Speaker 2: I love asking people about it. I love it, and I find that generally it's a generational thing, right, Like a lot of times when I meet young women, I say where do you stand on the word lesbian? And a lot of them are just so insulted I even used that word. They reject the word lesbian and they don't want to be put in a box. And I said, well, I'm still putting you in a box, but this one has irritating person written on the side of.
Speaker 4: It, you know.
Speaker 1: And I find my problem with the word queer. I have two problems, right.
Speaker 2: One it doesn't tell me anything right, and two it's the third time in my life I've been rebranded. And it just it'll happen to you too when you get older, Like people keep changing your name, and nobody ever asks you, no one ever asks your opinion. It's like, oh, you're this now. And then when people come up to me and say, oh, you're a queer writer, and it's like, no, I'm no, I don't. And again, it doesn't have anything to do with the word formally being an insult. I appreciate that it's short, you know, but that's all that I really appreciate about it. But I love asking people about it. And usually the people, you know, younger people, they like having their own word. You know, this is a young word, and so they feel like it reflects. But I feel I guess, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: A woman came up to me and said, oh, you're a queer writer, said my daughter's queer. My twelve year old daughter is queer. And I said, oh how and she said she's asexual. I said, isn't that what you want in a twelve year old? No, I mean maybe she's just twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's in the sort of edge case. Well, I remember when I was a speech writer, and I struggled with this because I you know, when I was growing up, there was gay and there was straight, and we all kind of bisexual was a joke, right. If a girl was bisexual, she was really straight. If a guy was bisexual, he was really gay. And we didn't really talk about trans. We didn't know about we didn't talk about nonlin or gender wasn't really as much a part of it. And when I became a speech writer, I remember watching as we would say, like, you know, we're proud to celebrate gay rights, and then well, you can't just say gay rights, you have to say if there's also trans people. And then we started including in speeches LGBT, and I remember as a writer feeling offended by LGBT because it felt so mechanical, It felt so it felt like it was from a manual about gay rights. It felt technical, as opposed to you know, we're so proud to have achieved so much for gays and lesbians or the gay community. Saying LGBT felt just lyrics. Just felt it had a bad sound right, and that to me. So then you go to queer and that's meant to be a catch all. But I had the same feeling that I think you have, like, wait, this word doesn't feel exactly right. But I wonder how much of that, like what is it about the word that doesn't feel that it's not just that it was a slur, right, there's something where it like it. It doesn't feel like it is who I am, and I wouldn't use it, but it is a useful word to have a catch on. I'm wondering if you've thought about, like, what is that feeling that kind of because if it was just that it wasn't you have a bad feeling about the word. It's not just that it's not as good as gay. There's a you don't want it, so why well.
Speaker 2: Again, part of it, too, is that I just feel that it's unspecific. It doesn't tell me. Often when I think of queer, I think of somebody who is in a heterosexual relationship but is open to the idea of a three way and has the septim ring, you know, and so and that's that's a thing, right, And so if that's your identity, you can be that's your queer.
Speaker 1: Have it, please, and I'll call you queer and everything. But I'm not. I'm not clear.
Speaker 2: So I'm gay and you can be queer and and that's fine, But I don't when the word queer is used on me by well meaning people who think, well, that's the word. Now, that's a word they like us to use. You know, that person, I cringe, you know, and I don't. And but again, when you said something earlier as a writer, okay, I mean as a writer, Yeah, language is what I deal was what the tools that I work with. So when people say it's just a language thing, well yeah, it's it's what I'm working with, right, Like the New Yorker, Like I can't say prostitute in the New Yorker, I have to say sex worker. To me, a sex worker, Like if you lost both your arms in an accident, a sex worker would come to your house and teach you how to pleasure yourself by rubbing aginst the doorframe. That's a sex worker, right, yeah, But then there's a prostitute, you know. So I will never write about a prostitute in The New Yorker because I don't want to use the word sex worker.
Speaker 1: I don't like the word, right, you know.
Speaker 2: And and the same way, if I was in a situation they said, well you have to use the word queer, I would say, okay, well I won't write anything for you, or I won't write about that. If I know I have to use that word. I don't want the word. I don't want to use it. I don't like the way it sounds. I don't like I don't want to see it on paper, you know, I don't want to type it. So and that's I don't know that that has I don't know if that's an old thing, you know, just from being old or I mean there are It's not like I any new word I don't want anything to do with. I mean sometimes well there are a lot of them. Well they I don't want anything to do with.
Speaker 1: Podsive America's brought you by Fast Growing Trees. Fast Growing Trees is America's largest on my nursery with thousands of trees and plants for every space and climate. And they make it easy to get plants that actually work for your yard, hard delivered right to your door. Okay, we can sense your skeptism about ordering live vegetation on the internet, But the proof is in the plants. Past Growing Trees has ship plants down today a shipping them using a science.
Speaker 3: The proof is in the plant.
Speaker 1: The proof is in the planting.
Speaker 3: And the plants. It's a free punch up. Right.
Speaker 1: Proof is in the planting, right, pudding. The proof is in the pudding. Proof is in the planting famously, huh, and you'll be putting down so many beautiful plants. Every plant is handpicked, it's carefully inspected, and the packaging is designed specifically to keep them secure in transits so they don't get damage. They even have a lab where they test the best packaging materials to protect against cold, heat, humidity and more. And I'm glad they're there. But boy, you go in a first state, it's like, what do you do for a living? I do packaging for plants. It's like, all right, this is gonna be a boring date, but I'm glad they're there doing good work doesn't mean it's not a good product.
Speaker 3: Just saying it's a boring day.
Speaker 1: It's like I keep the plants humid in transit. It's like, oh my god, I gotta meet somebody. Your plants get there. They look amazing, like they get like they're local. But every order is back the they live and thrive guarantee, and so in the odd chance you do have any issues with deliver, you're covered. I love fast growing trees plants. We got a bunch of them in the office. They're amazing. They're amazing. They're secured in the box. They're healthy when they get here, soils in place, there's no mess. When the box are open, the trees are the branches are bound. Then after a day they're unfolded to their full glory. Great deals on spring planting essentials right now, and listeners get additional twenty percent off their first order with the code crooked at check out. That's twenty percent off at Fast Growing trees dot com with code crooked at checkout. In terms of condition supply. The sex worker thing is interesting because here's what I worry about for like, why am I reluctant? And is it because it's because I don't want to be associated with the style of writing that uses words like clear and sex worker. Right that if you're describing as sex worker, it is a kind of there's a kind of performative obtuseness and kind of a perform normative progressivism that feels artificial. And so I am am I rebelling against that artificiality, not because the word itself, but because I don't like the way other people use it and the kind of writing and thinking it's associated with. You know, what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, a sex worker took one college course, Okay, as a prostitute who took one course in college. Like I think if you went to the streets and you and someone was offering blow jobs, and you say, what do you learn be called?
Speaker 1: I think I don't. I don't know how many people would say sex worker? Yeah, sort of like how I would Normally the.
Speaker 2: Thing to do would be to say to them, what would you like to be addressing? What would you like to be called?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know, well, because we went through around of this one, people were saying kind of LATINX and it turned out, you know that that that's sort of a sort of an artificially producer of activism based word that wasn't really used outside of those spaces, And then kind of went through a cycle of how people were using that word, and then eventually sort of we're not using that word anymore, and it's okay, great, we're back to Latino Latina. Well, I think about it sort of for me, right, because I identify I'm gay, But at the same time, I became comfortable with that at a time when I didn't have another option, right, and I'm now forty three, I am married to a trans person. I like, I choose to call myself gay, even though truthfully I am. The word queer probably more appropriately defines what I am. But I choose to be gay because I think being gay as a choice. Nobody's gonna take that away from me.
Speaker 2: Well, I like, when I was I remember the word gay coming into use, right, the term was homosexual, and so I a member of the term gay, and maybe because I was eighteen years old, I thought great because it fit, you know. And so maybe there were people who felt like gay was unspecific or you know, they just didn't like the sound of it.
Speaker 1: I mean, homosexual. I'm fine with.
Speaker 2: It's just longer, you know, Like for some reason, we just keep making words longer. Uh So again, anything one syllable but an LGBTQ, and then it became qqya and then it was a plus was added, and I agree it was a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, this is where it's like, it's about persuasion too, which is hey, like if nobody who's not paying very close attention is going to master LGBTQ two I A plus, Like it's stupid. It's just like, at some point we're allowed to have sort of esthetic judgments like, I'm sorry, but that's that's stupid. It is stupid to go around saying so many letters in a row, and to keep adding new letters to it. It's just esthetically unpleasing. We're allowed to have taste, right.
Speaker 2: To You couldn't blame people from making fun of lgbtqqia plus.
Speaker 1: You, oh it's funny them, Yeah, it's funny. Yeah. Now, I mean you've also been advocating for wearing skirts people about how comfortable skirts are. We are both people that have worn skirts at our live show and have become proponents of skirts. What do you think men are afraid of with these skirts?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't want to be stared at, and I don't want to be a woman, and I don't want to have breasts, and I don't want to wear makeup.
Speaker 1: But a skirt just looks good.
Speaker 2: I don't know, half the world wears skirts and they don't make any big deal about it. I mean, I went to Fiji and you know, all the guys are wearing skirts, and you go g I mean again, you go to the Middle East and you see people and basically dresses. I remember I went to Morocco when I was in high school with my Spanish class, and I bought I don't know what it's called, but it's like a floor length rope, you know, And I wore it to high school when I got back, and I remember thinking I look good and and just being made fun of like so roundly, and just remember I just remember thinking, like why is it a big deal?
Speaker 1: Like why it's.
Speaker 2: Got one hole instead of too really, and you're going to get that upset about it. But yeah, I have a bunch of skirts and I'm happy to uh, you know, I don't have mini skirts and stuff I have. You know, usually they go you know to the floor or you know, almost to the floor, and I just I just think they look great.
Speaker 1: I do think that that when you know, conservatives get upset about trans people on some level, what they're upset about is the ways in which they're holding on to these sort of traditional definitions of like the right way to be a man, and how small a definition they want for that. And I think, as someone that has been publicly gay since you were writing so long, like you never really came out. You're just gay. From the first moment I've heard of you. You were gay the whole time. You never came out. You never you never had your moment of going on television being like, I'm gay.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, I was lucky enough to come around at a time I can write about my relationship and people just it's about trying to make a life with another person, right that the world could could see that. The world wasn't like, oh, it's gay. Never mind, it's not for me because he's gay, And that was you know, if I'd done it ten years earlier, then that would have been a completely different story. So I was just fortunate to come along, you know, to that so much had happened before I got I arrived, I suppose.
Speaker 1: But the reason I bring it up is because it does seem like what's happening now. So being gay as a sort of an abstract identity, right, like I'm a gay person. That means I date and want to marry someone of the same gender, whatever, it seems like. The part that we're now grappling with is everything around it, like wanting to wear skirts, being more feminine, right, and defying other aspects of what it means to be a true like sort of masculine man. And I know, as I think about what when I was made fun of when I was a kid, right like, I was called gay a million times. I was a little bit of feminine, but it was it was becoming okay to be gay, but it wasn't okay to be a mincing little queen, right like. And it does seem like right now there's a real kind of pushback from the right about defying the gender norms. Like they're okay with a Scott Best it's being the secretary of the Treasury, but they worry a lot about what happens if if a man shows up in makeup in a skirt, And I wonder how you think about that as somebody that has like sort of been publicly identified as gay for so long.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I feel I remember when I was young, and like I moved, I lived in San Francisco for one summer, right and I remember it was like a pride parade there in San Francisco, And it must have been it was like summer of nineteen seventy six or something, right, But I remember there were drag queens at the beginning of the parade, and I remember being embarrassed, you know, and thinking, oh, I don't want people to think that that's what gay people are like, right, And now I just now I think the opposite. When I see somebody being like a massive like sissy or something, it just warms my heart, you know, and I'm just so happy that they just be in themselves. And I can see how, you know, it can make someone uncomfortable because you're not sure, you know, like when I'm signing books, like you don't know sometimes you know how you maybe should address somebody, or if somebody gives you a book and then it's got well, especially like a name like Zia on it, you know, and then is that Zia is zea somebody else?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: So I always say, uh, who's Zia? And then sometimes people like I am and I say, well, I'm asking because it could be your cousin, it could be you know, it could be anyone. So I have a nice out that way that you don't necessarily have in day to day life. But I think it just makes people uncomfortable. Like if I'm wearing a skirt, I don't see any reason for anyone to call me ma'am. Or it's just a skirt. I don't have any makeup on it. Wort code on and you know, I guess I don't care if they're uncomfortable. I suppose that's a difference.
Speaker 1: Right, But I do think part like I'm interested in, like what is that discomfort?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Like You'll turn on Fox News and there'll be somebody saying, like, you know, real men don't sing Happy Birthday, Real men don't drink soup, Real men don't have straws, right, like constraining constraining what it means to be a man to this really really narrow box. And I wonder how much of that discomfort people feel is in the same way someone you know is understands that voting for Trump might be wrong in some way that like they're like I spend a long time building this prison, Like how dare you? How dare you try to escape? Like this is where I live. I feel safe here well in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of people would be surprised by that. But I feel sorry for straight guys, you know, I feel sorry that they're in their prison, and I feel sorry that sometimes I feel like they don't know how to talk people, you know, like if you're listening in conversation on a plane and there are two guys in front of you who you know, strangers who were talking. I just I just feel bad. I feel bad that they don't again, that their confines are so narrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had this. I remember realizing that I was that I was a worse friend to my straight friends, my straight male friends, because I was less effeminate. And what came with being effeminate was being thoughtful, you know, like asking people about their dad. You know, like there's a there's a way you are with with with, there's a way gay men are that is more feminine, and part of it is just being i don't know, thoughtful, considerate, sweet, right, And I was, And I remember realizing like, oh, when I'm with my straight male friends, I act more like them, and I'm much worse in basically every respects right, Like I would never think to be like be like if I'm in my kind of in that straight oh you're kind of like you would never be like, so how's your mother doing? Like, you know, is she getting better from her fall? Like you wouldn't say anything like that, which just doesn't come up in straight world.
Speaker 2: I was in an elevator and I was in Atlanta a few weeks ago. And I'm going down for breakfast and this guy gets on the elevator and I said, oh, I saw you on my plane last night. I said, I I noticed your shoes. You know, that's such a thing that would be so scary, like to a straight guy A remembered them and be that you were looking at his shoes.
Speaker 1: You know what was the reaction? How did it go?
Speaker 2: Well, he was wearing shoes without a back to them, so of course he.
Speaker 1: Was gay, right, So it all borked out. Yeah, sorry, I just ended up for making sure you're talking to another game and Positive America is brought to you by Chime. Chime is changing the way people bank. They offer the most rewarding fee free banking built for you. They're not like traditional old banks to charge you over drafted monthly fees. They have thousands of fee free ATMSA is why pay to get your own money? Chime is built for you, not the one percent. Chime members can benefit from up to one and fifty dollars in annual rewards, fee free direct deposit unlocks the most rewarding way to bank in Chime. Chime is rated five stars by USA Today for customer service, Real humans twenty four to seven. You're not just switching banks, you're upgrading to America's number one choice for banking.
Speaker 3: With a Chime checking account.
Speaker 5: Get five percent cash back on Chime card in a category of your choice, like groceries or gas. You get savings that grows faster with a three point seventy five percent apy that's nine x higher than the national average. Plus you get premium travel parks like Airport Lounge Access and twenty four seven Travel Concierge included with your Chime card. They also have spot Meet What's let you overdraft up to two hundred dollars fee free. Chime is not just smarter banking. It is the most rewarding way to bank. Join the millions who are already banking fee free today. Head to Chime dot com slash crooked. That's Chime dot com slash crooked. It only takes a few minutes to sign up.
Speaker 1: Chime is a fintech, not a bank. Banking services for my Pay and Chime Card provided by Chimes Bank Partners. Optional products and services may have fees or charges stated annual percentag yield and cash back for Chime Prime only. No minimum bounce required. Checking accounts ranking based on a JD Power survey published October twenty, twenty twenty five. For more information on ap y rates, my pay spot, me and travel berks, go to chime dot com slash disclosures. You referred to Hugh as your boyfriend. He's your husband? Yeah? Right, yeah, uh huh, still uncomfortable. I don't like the word. I yeah, he's a man. I'm married, right, What what's the problem. He's your husband and I don't like the word. Do You got married?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just for financial reasons, right. It was a shotgun wedding arranged by my banker, and I don't want to marry anybody else.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I didn't mean anything to be mean to be married. I didn't choke up. I didn't, I don't. It was It was just a legal thing to me.
Speaker 1: I just got married. Any advice for a long and successful relationship.
Speaker 2: I do. Hugh and I have been together for thirty six years. Never talk about your relationship to that other person ever.
Speaker 1: Never talk about it.
Speaker 2: Never talk about it, because that just it doesn't bear. It doesn't bear that the harsh light of scrutiny. You can talk about it with other people, right, You can complain about them, but don't talk about it with that person, Right.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like talking about happiness. If you're talking about it, you aren't it. Don't talk about your relationship. That's pretty good. Now I noticed something else in one of these essays. You also are deeply uncomfortable talking about your bowel movements in front of you.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, No, I've never had one, and he's never had one.
Speaker 1: What is that? What is what? So that's the way you're talking about, But so what is it about feminine mists? I don't know what you're talking but so, I like I noticed, I definitely feel like there's two kinds of relationships, and I don't think there's a middle ground. There are couples for whom the bathroom is just a room with a sink and a shower, yeah, and that's it. And then there are couples that are just fully in it about every detail. I'm in that category. We talk about everything, We go into great detail, and it brings us closer together. Don't you want to what your leave? Like?
Speaker 4: How do you know?
Speaker 1: But how can you know a person? A big part of every day, David, is the part of the day where you had either a good shit or a bad shit. It's a big right, No, come on, you know, I have no idea what you're talking about. So you come home from a long trip and Hugh is in a bad mood. He's just a bit upset, and you don't know why. It might be because he's having stomach trouble. But you'll just never know that. You'll never know that he's been he's been, Oh, I was sorry, And he's never known that about me. But then it's it's but then you're strangers to me. No, there's plenty of other stuff. We know this.
Speaker 2: It's nice to have a little window of mystery, you know, Like I know people couples who like fart in front of each other and do things you're not in.
Speaker 1: Front of each other. What are you getting up and going to happen? Come on, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: If somebody has an accident every now and then, it's never acknowledged, never mentioned, never ever ever ever. And you know what, I'm really glad because both of us are like that. So if just one person was like that, then it would be pretty hard.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think those people make it. I don't think I think that's what divorces. I think it's people finding out that they're that they're they're with the wrong person because they want to they want to talk about it, and the other person doesn't. It's like he can't build the life with something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, Hugh and I Nope, never been discussed. I don't know what it would be now if if uh, like if I get colon, colon cancer, rectal cancer, sure he will never know.
Speaker 1: I will go see I will say.
Speaker 2: I have to go to the hospital for a few weeks.
Speaker 1: I will say, uh, why even tell him that I'm going. I have a little trip I need to take. So well, you know you're getting You went right to the right you went. Your mind went to correctly. I know where your mind went, which is to the fact that you have an aging body, as we all do, and you're in one of the stories. You basically are repulsed by the fact that he needs, for a time after a hip surgery to have one of those cushy, higher toilet seats, which you compare to a coffin. You both have human bodies that will slowly fail over time, and the best case scenario is that you're holding someone's hand as they lose control of their body. Uh, but you're together in the end, Like, there's no avoiding the fact that that you have a corpus and it will decay before each other. Right, isn't that the goal? But I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't the needs to put him on the toilet now to prepare for putt him on the toilet twenty years from now, twenty years from now.
Speaker 1: If I have to do it, I'll do it. But I doubt that. But now, all of a sudden, at the very end of your relationship, you're going to finally have to talk about this thing that you've been avoiding. Your will never talk about it. We'll never talk about it.
Speaker 2: I'll never talk about it never. If if hughes like in his nineties and he soils himself, we will never talk about it ever, ever, ever talk about it.
Speaker 1: Are you thinking about what these look your document? You know you've been writing in your diary. Did you write in your diary today? Ends, Yeah, you've been writing in your diary day. Do you think about what those last entries are going to be?
Speaker 2: Like, I think it's easier to conceive of our death than it is of our decrepitude, you know, and the thought of being in an assisted living center in one room, your life reduced to one room like my dad's was, and all your friends are dead and you're defcating in your pants maybe or you're you're unable to get up from your bed. I being dead, I can think, sure, yeah, but that is just to know that that's coming, or to think, so, Hugh and I we were going to throw ourselves off the terrace, you know, of our apartment building, but then he didn't want to make a mess, and so we're going to put ourselves in body bags first and then throw ourselves.
Speaker 1: That is considerate. That is considerate. You know you got to I would say double rapid, because who knows what kind of splat that You know, you're gonna make a lot of impact and then boom, you're coming out the sides.
Speaker 2: I spent ten days at the Medical Examiner's office in Phoenix, so I know, I know what it looks like, and I know that's why you're right, double body bags is a really good idea.
Speaker 1: All right, So if something good came out of this conversation, well, here's the thing I would say, too, But like, isn't a part of you like ready, like you will have an interesting perspective on what it's like to slowly, uh decline in one room as all your friends die. Isn't that the final isn't Aren't those the stories you sort of need, we need you to write because it'll be helpful to other people that are going through it. Isn't there something beautiful like about getting getting that last experience which is so common for people? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think the thing is though Calvin Tompkins died recently, the art critic for The New Yorker, and he was was he a hundred or was he? But the thing too is that you can his eyes were really failing him at the end. So you could be in a situation where you couldn't write, you know, when you're really sick, you can't sit up, you know, like if you were so you look, it's a nice idea that you could write until the day you die, but you have no control over it, you know. So maybe if gee, if Hugh's mother right, huge, I've never known anyone who reads more than her, And now she can't read, and she's ninety five and she's just sort of parked in front of a TV her worst nightmare, and she can't read a book, and even if you gave her an audio book, she can't focus on anything. So again, I don't necessarily have control. I'd like to be able to write until the end of my life, even I don't mean that to write in order to put a book out, but just you know, I've done it every single day of my life for the last fifty years. So I don't know who I would be without it, regardless of it being published or not. I just don't know.
Speaker 1: How I would how I would know who I am. I suppose, so I said, maybe it's the kind of thing where you wait for the the kind of double wrapped phase you can you can age into decrepitude, but then when you finally can't write, then you do the double backing. Right, maybe sort of, let's just hold off, let's put a pin in the double bagging until But I think.
Speaker 2: It's unfair, And I think it's unfair that you can't. You know, your insurance policy, your life insurance won't pay.
Speaker 1: Off you if you kill yourself.
Speaker 2: I mean, I understand the problems with changing that, but I just don't think it's fair to expect people to put up with that amount of misery and and you know, like if you're defecating in your pants and somebody's clean you up and then you're just like, oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, and you're not even having a good time, you know, like the like the rest of your days and not going to be any better than that. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to kill yourself. I I have this idea for Canyon Day, and it's you put logs.
Speaker 4: You you put logs around the Grand Canyon, right just along the lip of the Grand Pan, and you take people there at night and then so if they trip over.
Speaker 1: A log and fall into the Grand Canyon, so it's like a little loophole, yeah, where it's it's called like the so it's to get to get the insurance to pay out that it's just a lot of people tripping on the Grand Canyon.
Speaker 2: It would be called Canyon Day. And then if you wanted to participate in Canyon Day, you would be allowed to.
Speaker 1: Well. I think that's a great idea. I'm not sure the insurance companies aren't going to catch wise to it pretty quickly. Suddenly, Hey, we've seen a huge uptake in accidental deaths on the Arizona side of the Grand Canyon. But hey, it's a great it's a great thought.
Speaker 2: Before you know, I shared it with somebody and they said, what if you don't die, don't you hate people like that?
Speaker 1: Never? I mean, it's a pretty long fall. I know what.
Speaker 2: There's no way you're plus you're going to be decrapit to begin with, Like you know, even saying that what if you don't die, you can die.
Speaker 1: You're gonna die. That's not the problem with it. Listen, I want you to know something. There's a lot of problems with that plan, all right, that's not one. That's not one of them. It's a big fall down there. It's a big hangar. It's grant, it's grand. That's why they named the burger after it. Before we let you go, I want to get just a rapid fire a few things. See where your head's at. People saying no problem instead of you're welcome. That doesn't bother me. Really, Yeah, But you don't like perfect when people say, oh, perfect, perfect, perfect.
Speaker 2: I was at a hotel the other day and I and I and the woman said perfect five times before I even sat down at the table. And they're told in hotels like if you say wonderful or terrific, that's not positive enough. See you have to say perfect.
Speaker 1: But no problem. I know people who are bothered by no problem.
Speaker 2: It doesn't I know people too who are bothered by of course, could I have another coffee?
Speaker 1: Of course? And there are people who don't like of course. I have no problem with it. Okay, emojis.
Speaker 2: I used one one time, just an egg plant. No it was it was a huge sister, and I don't remember what it was.
Speaker 1: I don't like to text. Okay. College professors are signing fewer books and more excerpts because their students have lower attention spans.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that makes me sad, you know. But that said, if I were in college and then I had to read Moby Dick by tomorrow, I'd be like, fuck, I got to read Mumby Dick by tomorrow.
Speaker 1: You can skip the whaling chapters. Yeah, that's the key thing with reading Mobi Dick. People need to know that there's a lot of whaling chapters in there with detailed information about the technique. You don't need those chapters.
Speaker 2: Well, I wrote something one time about I was writing for Esquire and they did an issue what every man should do before the age of whatever, and so I said, read Moby Dick. So I started reading it, and I was like, oh no, this is really boring.
Speaker 1: It's so boring.
Speaker 2: So I told myself so boring. I could not shave, brush my teeth, to take a shower, or wash my hair until I finished it. And then on the second day, I helped the neighbor clean out her chicken coop, and so you know, I had those little mites all over me, and but I couldn't take a shower, I couldn't do anything. I had to read Moby Dick first.
Speaker 1: There's a audiobook version of Moby Dick read by Burt Reynolds. It seems like he was done. He had to do it at gun points or something and really read. It's atrocious. It's I highly recommend go find it. He does a sailor's accents, but he can't maintain us. So it like you hit plan this thing, and it's Burt Reynolds being like, call me a shmeel. But but by the end of every chapter he's kind of back into classic Burt Reynolds. And then the next chapter begins and it's back with the whale was out there you know he does a voice. It's crazy. It's crazy, and he doesn't do any of the whaling chapters, so you can just it's it's a breeze. He's right, that's good that we've got a lot of good ideas out of this session. Really happy about that last thing. Do you hold grudges? Yeah? I do, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: I don't necessarily act on them, But my brother said. A couple of weeks ago, I saw my brother and we were talking about cleaning, and he said, man, you gotta be you know, I got to be mad to clean. And whenever I start cleaning, I go back to my grudge drawer and I pull something out and it just fuels me when I clean. It's like feeding the steam engine while I clean, and then I finish, and I'm fine.
Speaker 1: What's your oldest grudge right now?
Speaker 2: Missus Arsenow nineteen sixty eight, ice Cream Creations. After a christening, we went to ice cream Creations people from the church greg Orthodox Church in Raleigh, North Carolina. And I was sitting there with my mom having a lovely time, and Missus arsanu came and said, you go over there and sit with the boys. No, twelve year old boys should be sitting with his mother. And I was having such a nice time my mother, and and I thought, what business is it of yours where I sit?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like my mother wasn't complaining about having me there, and my you know, my mother's dead, and I think she robbed me. Missus Arson, you robbed me of like an extra half hour with my mother. And no one back there said, bitch, are you telling me where to sit? Like nobody would have done that.
Speaker 1: You just did what she said.
Speaker 2: I just did what she said. And I think about it. I've held a grudge since then. And she's long dead, you know, yeah for sure, but I I yeah, that's probably my oldest grudge.
Speaker 1: And see, now the kids would talk back, something that you find repulsive because the kids aren't listening to their parents anymore. But that was a case where had you talked back to your teacher, you might have had more time with your mother.
Speaker 2: There was a guy in my high school who are We had a math teacher and he was he was also a coach, and he was a dick, and he was chewing out this student, this female student, and she started crying and he kept at it, and this guy in the class stood up and said you need to back off to the teacher. And nobody did things like that, and he got in so much trouble, but it was somebody needed to do it, you know. And I'm so proud because he was gay.
Speaker 1: There's no way.
Speaker 2: I mean, it wasn't talked about back then, but there's no way this guy wasn't gay. And I thought about it over the years and I thought, wow, it was a gay person. I mean, it wasn't this gay person, but it was a gay person who and he wasn't He didn't threaten the teacher or anything. He did it in really the perfect way. And I think about that. He's probably forgotten about it, this guy, but gee, it was such a it was huge to me.
Speaker 1: I think about it quite often. David Sedaris, thank you so much for being here, everybody. Collection of essays David Sidaris, the Land and It's people. Thanks for coming by. Good to meet you, good to talk to you. Oh you too, Thanks so much. Thank you David Sidares for joining us. John, Tommy and I will be back in your feeds on Tuesday morning.
Speaker 3: And that's a positive.
Speaker 6: America is a crooked media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna, Roberts, and Faris Safari with re Jerling, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt to Grote, Ben Hefcot, Jordan Canter, Charlotte Landis Kirol pel Aviv, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East