Speaker 1: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers continued to roll with a seven to three win over the Tigers and sweeping this three game series. Your world champion Dodgers have won the first five games of the season. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse with you until about ten fifteen tonight. We're taking your phone calls at eight sixty six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. Look, I know everybody's freaking out over Roki Sazaki.
Speaker 3: Was his outing tonight ideal? No?
Speaker 2: Is it ideal for him to have walked nine batters and just four and two thirds innings in his first two starts? Absolutely not. Is it ideal to have your starting pitcher throw sixty one pitches in the very first inning, or excuse me, forty one pitches in the very first inninglutely not.
Speaker 3: Nobody's disputing that. But I will tell you this.
Speaker 2: I know for a fact the Dodgers fell coming into the season with Roki Sazaki that there was going to be growing pains. They were prepared for that, but they firmly believe by the time the season reaches the halfway point and into the second half that he'll be a much polished pitcher now.
Speaker 3: Joel Wolf, his agent, who was.
Speaker 2: Actually here at Dodgers Stadium tonight watching Sazaki pitch, he made it clear in an answer at the Sazaki press conference that Sazaki has a mind of his own and has his own ideas, and maybe he is.
Speaker 3: Even a little bit stubborn.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I've been around professional sports for a long time, and I've seen the guys that have been the best in the minor league or the best in college basketball or college football think they have it all out, and then they come to the big leagues or to the NBA or to the NFL, whatever you have, and get their teeth knocked in and then they have to reassess and say, you know what, you guys might have some ideas to help me out. And I feel like Sazaki may be at that point. A lot of times, great players or really good players at a lower level feel like they have it all figured out and need to experience failure before they open up to take in some of the help they may need. And some of the learning happens right on the mound. It doesn't have to come from a coach, and I feel like the Dodgers are well aware that Sizaki was going to have some bumps in the road, maybe to not this extreme or to this degree as far as having a hard time finding the strike zone, because that was painful to wa in that first inning. I think I went through a whole bag of peanuts visiting my family down there in.
Speaker 3: The first inning.
Speaker 2: But nonetheless, I mean, there's that's neither here there either. How much I eat these days, it doesn't matter. If it was one, two, three inning, I might have got through a half a bag of peanuts by then. But anyway, this is about Sazaki, and I feel like those that are already online saying that the Dodgers may have to send him down, I don't see that happening right now. I could see the Dodgers skipping a starter or two and maybe calling up a guy like Landon Knack to take that spot. But I don't see the Dodgers sending Sazaki to Oklahoma City. What's he going to learn there. He's not gonna be with Connor McGinnis and Mark Pryor. I don't see how he's going to get that much better pitching in Oklahoma City, except for the fact that maybe, you know, the Dodgers want to see him fill up the strike zone, but I just don't. That may happen eventually, but I just don't see that happening right now. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number I thought. The biggest at bat tonight came from Taoscar Hernandez in the fifth inning with two outs and runners at the corners, after A J. Hinch put up the four fingers and walked sho Hao Tani intentionally because the Tigers young right handerrhes Olsen has had some troubles against lefties, so that was the right move. But nonetheless, Tai Oscar took it personally and delivered like he has so far in the first five games of the year, three for five with runners in scoring position and six RBIs.
Speaker 3: So for me, that was the biggest hit of the game.
Speaker 2: And you know, Tommy Edmand tonight, after having such a great game last night, made his presence felt by hitting his third home run of the year. He got home runs from Freddie Freeman and Will Smith as well. I loved what I saw on the seventh when shoe Hey Otani watched sole second and Freddie Freeman drove him home with an RBI double. I thought the Dodger offense, you know, they were one of the best in baseball last year, top two in almost every big offensive category. You want to talk about setting records, This Dodger team may set offensive records that we have never seen as a team. As we move forward through one hundred and sixty two games, eight six, six, nine, eight, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Tigers seven to three. They're off to a five and oh start. They are off to the second hottest start in Dodger franchise history, because no other team except for the eighty one Dodgers, have won their first five games of the year. In fact, that year, Rick Monday and the boys started six to zero. Let's head downstairs, speaking of number sixteen, Will Smith, the Dodger catcher, may have some insight on what was going on with Sazaki tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure. You know, Dodger Stadium's intimidating. It's you know, there's four decks here, there's it's loud, it's fun. You know, it takes a lot to be able to perform here. You know, again, we have full full confidence in Rokie. You know, he'll settle in, He'll he'll start pitching better, he'll start dominating the zone and he'll be really good for us.
Speaker 3: And then just for you personally.
Speaker 5: With the bat obviously a big swing tonight. Where are you feeling just when it comes to your quality of that bats and kind of.
Speaker 1: Being locked in?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know I was able to just get a change of up in the zone today, get it out, get it in the air, and get it out of the park. Yeah, feel good overall seeing the ball. Well, I'm just trying to take good at bets.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Piecing together seven guys like that, I mean, you guess worked that to profession last year.
Speaker 1: It's not easy.
Speaker 5: I mean, can you just describe how how difficult that is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we've had to do it a lot, you know, just you know a lot my tenure as a Dodger for six years now or whatever. It's fun. It's uh, you know, those guys are ready for it whenever that happens, to pick the starter up, you know, like they say, their dogs down there, So you know, we're fortunate to have all of them. They went out tonight and put a bunch of ears.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the bullpen dogs carrying over from last year. Six different relievers used after Sazaki only lasted an inning and two thirds. Jack Dryer was the first reliever to come in and stop the bleeding. Dryer is going to be a name that you were going to grow to know because the Dodgers think very highly of that young left hander, and rightfully so.
Speaker 3: And how about Kirby Yates.
Speaker 2: The first ten batters he has faced as a Dodger, he has struck out seven. He is now part of that bullpen dog mentality out there for the Dodgers. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Basically, what Will Smith said in his first answer is maybe there were some jitters with Sazaki making his first started. Dodgers stated him a lot different than pitching at the Tokyo Dome in different ways. So, like I said, the Dodgers are not going to have a knee jerk reaction and send down Sazaki to the minor leagues. Like Dylan Hernandez is calling for let's go out to Anaheim. Miles, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 7: Miles, Hey, David, how are you doing tonight?
Speaker 3: Doing great? Miles.
Speaker 2: I got to hang out with the Javiers, you know, Javiers in Newport Beach. I got to hang out with Pops and Junior. I mean, those guys are legendary. Javier's right there. Not to mention the bat boy Javier and the dugout that saved Otani's life.
Speaker 3: We had three great Javiers in the house tonight.
Speaker 7: Oh Man, Absolutely, I love it. Javiers is fantastic.
Speaker 5: Quick question for you.
Speaker 7: I know you just talked about Sasaki. We got Will Smith's answers. It seems like nerves definitely playing a part. I mean two big games, one in the Tokyo Dome, his first game at Dodger Stadium, so I definitely understand that. However, there were concerns when he was coming over about his Mcanai, about his fastball velocity dropping last year in the NPB. Is there anything that we're seeing with his mechanics that could be leading to his control and command issues? Is there anything there that you think maybe needs to be cleaned up as he moves forward with the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Mark Prior would be laughing if you are were asking me what I could clean up from Suzaki. But Miles, I know what you're saying, a lot of times, when you're chasing velocity, you start overthrowing, and when you start overthrowing a lot of times you'd lose command of your fastball. I mean, he was throwing ninety seven up there, but it just didn't have command. So I could see what you're saying where he's trying to chase the velocity and in turn he's losing fastball commands. So that could be part of this equation the Dodgers have to figure out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's definitely a talented arm I have no doubts about him long term, and I just wonder if maybe the nerves are affecting his mechanics. He was missing armside quite a bit today against lefties especially, so I just wonder if he's get in his head. And I hope, I hope he cleans it up. I hope that Dodgers figured out because he's an incredible picture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's so talented, he will figure it out. Miles, thanks a lot for the phone call. Yeah, I could just hear Mark Pryor driving home right now. Ve's a you don't know anything about cleaning up anything except your house. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Hawaii, Rick, Aloha, You're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse.
Speaker 5: Hello, DV.
Speaker 6: Hey, I don't call that often, but I this time I had to call him over currently on on the Big Island. And I've been a fan since fifty eight, and I just wanted to acknowledge how great it is too for all the Dodger fans to have you on the air and talk and you know, Dodger Talk and so on and so forth. It's fantastic. I think you just do a wonderful job. Everyone knows that. I know, we all appreciate it, and I just thank you, Rig.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: Mahallo, my friend, You're very welcome. And uh uh, you know, I you know, the World Series is one thing, but then going into the beginning of this season in Japan, the Dodgers the team in Japan and taking care of the Cubs and then coming back and then sweeping the Tigers. What a fantastic start. And I just just wanted to share my thoughts about that. That's great, all right.
Speaker 3: Rick, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Good vibes from Hawaii and look, there's great vibes at Dodger Stadium. Everybody's happy. I mean, how could you not be happy? You got the defending World Series champions. They added more talent and the players are focused. They still got their edge like they came up short last year. That's the most impressive part about this team as far as I'm concerned, being with them in spring training, going to Tokyo and now here in LA. These guys are enjoying themselves. But when it's time for business, they have that edge, and that is to me what separates them from a lot of other teams out there, because they're not feeling themselves. They don't feel like this is just a victory lap season. They want more. They want to make history. Not by winning one hundred and seventeen games in the regular season. They want to make history by becoming the first team to go back to back championships since the Yankees in twenty twenty five years ago. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Tigers tonight seven to three. They sweep the three game series, and they have won the first five games of the twenty twenty five campaign. Let's go out to Malibu, Bob. Hope you're safe out there. Hope you're doing well.
Speaker 8: David Bath saying, Dodger Bob back with you for another season. Man, it's great to hear your voice.
Speaker 3: Nice. Thank you, Bob, appreciate it absolutely.
Speaker 1: Dad.
Speaker 8: Just wanted to comment on and be supportive of your comments last night about Friedman's pining for Tommy Edmund. It makes total sense when you see the way this guy's performing. I hope all the other Dodger fans are appreciating what we got.
Speaker 5: In that guy.
Speaker 8: Man, what a great you know, re signing of his contract and re upping him. I'm happy he's a part of this team.
Speaker 3: Man, Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: I mean not only like Knights, like tonight, he hits a home run, everybody loves him. But how many people appreciate what he did in the ninth inning last night? How many people appreciate the defense he played at shortstop last year all October with Keith a Hernandez playing center field. I mean, the Dodgers do not win the World Series without Tommy Edmond.
Speaker 3: He is a winning player.
Speaker 2: That's the way most people that have been around him, coached him, played with him, describe him.
Speaker 3: He's a winning player.
Speaker 8: He's definitely showing us that he's a winning player and he's part of a winning team. So, you know, just good to be back here. Just good to seeing these guys play with so much confidence right now, coming off of last season, and they're hungry for a dv You can tell it right now, call it, man, you can see it.
Speaker 5: They're hungry for another.
Speaker 2: No doubt, and that's what makes them so dangerous because they're not easing up and any one of these guys up and down this lineup, whether it be Freddie, Freeman, Otani. I mean, the Dodgers are three to zero without Mookie Bets in the starting lineup. He didn't play in the first two games in Tokyo. He didn't play tonight because of a scheduled day off with the off day tomorrow, and you know the stomach illness that he was battling. The Dodgers have won three of their first five games without Mookie Betts in the starting lineup.
Speaker 3: Think about that.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number hey want to give a shout out to Jack Flerty. Jack Flerty pitched great last night. He was much needed help for the Dodgers at the trade deadline last year. He was basically him and Yamamoto were the guys that pitched the most innings of any starters for the Dodgers in October and tonight before the game, he received his championship ring on the field with his teammates Freddy Freeman, Clayton Kershaw, Mookie Bets all out there to present him with his ring and also a goal old jersey that the Dodgers were wearing last night and in the home opener with that number zero that he wore last year.
Speaker 3: So that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: And Jack Flaherty, from what I understand, if you remember last year, I know, Ariwana is pretty much out of most of our price ranges, but they made a smoothie after Jack Flerity, and from what I was told by the visiting clubhouse guys on the Detroit side, he bought forty five of those Jack.
Speaker 3: Flarity smoothies for everybody to enjoy.
Speaker 2: And he was out here reconnecting with all of his teammates from a year ago. I mean, he was like the mayor during batting practice out here and he joined us on the pregame show, and here's part of the conversation.
Speaker 3: And just reflecting back on last year.
Speaker 9: I think we always felt like we had a real chance at Padre series was really tough. What Yama was able to do in game five was huge, and then you know, Kika and Tayo coming up with huge swings winning that game was huge. And and I from there as starters, we kind of started to rolla i'mna kind of set the tone and then you know, I went out Game one pitched well, and then Walker did his thing. You know, Game three, Alma came back, Game four pitched well. So it felt like from there its starters. Once once we got one good start it, the three of us started to figure it out and put it put a couple of good ones together, which is kind of what we needed and kind of what you know, it was said that we didn't have enough of but uh, you know, those bullpen guys picked us up. And obviously the lineup, they they were relentless and they never stopped scoring. Being down five nothing in game five, Uh you know, they they just kept going. Especially you know, you get a guy like Garrett on the Mountain that he's one of, if not the best, in the league. You wish him a speedy recovery, but what they're able to do just keep chipping away and you give him a second chance, and they never stopped.
Speaker 3: That was Jack Flaherty.
Speaker 2: A great three games for him, coming back home as a World champion. He lived out the dream that all of you growing up here in Los Angeles being a Dodger fan, coming back pitching for the Dodgers and helping them win the World Series. That was spectacular. And to be able to enjoy the parade as well. I was on the same parade bus as Jack Flaherity and nobody lived their better life than Jack Flerity during that parade, that's for sure. And speaking of the World Series, I got to hold the last out baseball tonight. It was at the art of the Game stand on the field level behind home plate. I'm sure you've seen it. This baseball was very special last year to a lot of different people. This is the baseball Walker Buehler pitched to Will Smith to strike out Alex Verdugo at Yankee Stadium to end the twenty twenty four World Series in Game five. Many people could say, will Smith could have kept the baseball. The Dodgers could have kept the baseball. Walker Bueller could have asked for the baseball. Well, major League Baseball could have the baseball. But instead Will Smith's Foundation catching hope Walker Bueller's Foundation, the Bueller Family Foundation, and the Dodger Foundation have come together for a bigger cause. They are auctioning off this baseball and the bidding ends very soon on April fifth. This baseball that's been auctioned off will benefit the fire Relief Fund. So it's going to a great cause to those that were affected in Altadena and the Palisades. And look, it's gonna fetch a big number, but I'm sure there's a lot of people out there, especially in the Palisades, that had a lot of great memorabilia that unfortunately was burned in the fires. This could be a great way to start your new collection and also help the fire relief Fund. You can bid on this baseball the last out from last year's twenty twenty four World Series at t m nauctions dot com. That's tmnauctions dot com. Proceeds are going to benefit the fire relief Funds. So thanks to Buehler to Will Smith and the Dodger Foundation for coming together for a greater good. And speaking of Walker Buehler, he made his Red Sox debut tonight. It did not go the way he wanted. The Red Sox lost to the Rangers four to three, and Buehler went four to a third innings and allowed four earned runs. He had three strikeouts in no walks. So that's how things went for Walker Bueler in his Red Sox debut tonight in Texas, deep in the heart of Texas. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue more of your phone calls at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. We'll check in with Jose Mota as well, and you'll hear from the director of travel for the Dodgers, Scott Akasaki, who got the Dodgers from Phoenix, Arizona, to Tokyo, Japan, and then.
Speaker 3: To Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: You'll hear how he did it when we continue live from Dodger Stadium after the Dodgers sweep the Tigers with a seven to three win on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot Com hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 5: Wedge hits a drive deep right fan way up in the pavilion.
Speaker 3: Freddie Freeman gets a run right back with his second home run of the season.
Speaker 2: It is two to one on a Freeman blast to right field. Freddie Freeman putting on a show for the fans the last two nights here at Dodgers Stadium. He has gotten loud ovations every time he steps into the batter's box. He drove this fan base crazy last year with that walkoff Grand Slam, and his entire World Series was historic. I mean what he did last World Series was incredible, driving in more runs than anybody else ever has in a World Series. Not to mention that historic walkoff Grand Slam in Game one, and he had everybody on their feet tonight with that home run and also that RBI double, not to mention last night's game tying two run home runs, So the Freddie chance are well deserved. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast. Go to AM five to seventy lasports dot com and use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game.
Speaker 3: Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream.
Speaker 2: Let's take a couple of more phone calls before we check in with Jose Mota. Abby was at Dodger Stadium tonight. Hi, Abby, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: How are you doing?
Speaker 3: How can anybody be feeling that these days? Abby?
Speaker 2: If you're at Dodger Stadium, you got to get here if you haven't been here.
Speaker 10: It was so much fun. It was my first of the season, and I had so much fun. Thank you for taking my call. I love you, Dave, but I just want to say, okay. I was very nervous with Sunny, and then I was also very nervous because I didn't know anything about the reliever, Jack Dyer.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Jack Dryer.
Speaker 2: He's uh, the Dodgers drafted him, and he's basically a genius. He can solve a Rubik's cube one hundred different ways, and he's a really good relief picture.
Speaker 10: Because honestly, he was a genius. He gave us too clean innings and I was like, oh my god. Finally like, you know, a good pitch and he was a rookie too, and everybody was cheering him on. And you know, I mean, I'm going to be patient with the saucy Thank you for your thought, because I will take them to Mark. I mean, but wow, you know, good job Jack Dyer or Dryer or whatever same.
Speaker 3: Is, dryer like Dryer's ice cream.
Speaker 2: Abby, give the guy some respect.
Speaker 4: I do I respect.
Speaker 10: I mean, he was great and.
Speaker 2: Ben Caspirius are going to be two key relievers that are rookies. And Ben Caspirius had his coming out party in the World Series last year as well Game four. Abby, thanks a lot for calling in, and uh call back next time you're at Dodger Stadium. Let us know how the concessions are treating you.
Speaker 8: You know what.
Speaker 10: I'm a little bombed that they like got read of.
Speaker 9: I thought about it.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, maybe uh it'll come back for a home stand. You never know when the Phillies come to town. Thanks for the phone call, Abby, appreciate it. Hey, the Dodgers have a day off tomorrow, but we are going to keep the party rolling at the Citadel Outlets tomorrow at the Polo Ralph Lauren Family Baseball Fan Experience. I will be out there hosting from one to three and Tonight's hero, Taoscar Hernandez will be out there taking photos, meeting and greeting from two to three pm.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have prizes.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have that fast pitch where you can test how fast you could throw a baseball by you. So we're gonna do a lot of fun things out there, but really the headliner is Taoscar Hernandez out there between two and three o'clock at the Polo Ralph Laurenz Baseball Family Fan Experience.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota, there was a lot of fiesta celebration in the booth tonight, beinga celebrating a birthday my friend.
Speaker 5: Yes, so Joby Lodamond as well.
Speaker 4: It was nice.
Speaker 5: So you see, paper has been so many years for him. Good time, and I think you welcome Cochito because Louis Cruise Is he's like active, like Dave say nowadays, I love.
Speaker 3: It Luis Cruz.
Speaker 2: I mean he comes in like he's walking in for Game seven of the World Series.
Speaker 3: That's the way he's dressed every day.
Speaker 5: I think it's great.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know that that reflection of what you see is also the reflection on how good he comes in and how hungry he is to do well in the booth. And he's doing very very well.
Speaker 2: I think he should come in with his number forty seven jersey, his Dodger jersey.
Speaker 3: One day.
Speaker 5: That might happen, though, give the idea, you know, Luise, like I.
Speaker 2: Love that, do that during the Brave series, Joseitan, all right, let's talk about Sazaki.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Obviously not ideal first inning, not an ideal first two starts, but do you feel like he's overthrowing, trying to chase velocity and that's affecting his command.
Speaker 5: So now we're talking about two starts, right, we saw in Japan one hundred miles an hour right off the bat, I mean right off the bat, first sinning. The one thing I noticed is when we talk about dacent velocity, he's always looking up to see where the velocity is, and that to me is in the turn sometimes, especially at the stage where he is now a couple of things, and I'm going to make excuses for him. Would you allow me to day.
Speaker 3: No excuses, Just give us the facts.
Speaker 5: Let me give you the facts. Number one, he's dealing with the different baseball. Number two, he different the different slope on the mound. Number three is the fact that he is used to pitching more before a season than he's ever pitched as a Dodger. And it's a fact I recall with Shoel Tani with the Angels in twenty eighteen, comes spring training, he was terrible show. He couldn't throw a strike, He had a hard time grip in the baseball, had a hard time understanding that there's no taciness in the in the grip, and also with the seams way different. So with Asaki, though a product is not as polished as Yamamoto was and as show he was. All these issues are going to pop up at some point. And he pitched seven innings in the spring training in the Cactus League. Everything else was control, so you know that with him the stuff is there. We have not even seen the best slider. This guy has a devastating wife out slider that we have not seen yet. We see more like a get over type of slider where he's had some swings of misses, yes, and get over a strike. But it's gonna come down to repetitions day. I truly believe that. And I said this since before he was a Dodger, because I saw this kid pitch. I got to know his pitching coach. He needs repetitions to be smart. Now there's no time to wait in the regular season. So like today, great call by the call before on side misses mean what you are a catcher have to say, well, he's missing this way. I got a call well was in just to allow that fastball to run from the middle to the middle, from the inside to the middle of the player on the lefty. And he made a couple of adjustments there. But I hope he's not just jation boss. The one thing I do notice though, is I think he's thinking I had so far was with I want to get to a splitter account, and you can't force splitter counts. We have not there yet, So these hitters are much different. He's fishing, you know, a deeper line upstairs, more swings and misses against guys that know hit was much power in Japan. But I really believe this guy is going to show who he is exactly with more innings on him, because again, this is all different. Me just to quickly tell you, first bullpen for Japanese pitchers usually is one hundred pitches, and I saw the little Tani and he's like, oh, thirty pitches first bullpen. Well, no, I'm not used to that. So there's a lot of things he's going through right now. But you know what, it's hard to adjust. This is a big leaks. It's not Japan anymore, and the time has writ for him to know that it is one step at a time and the things he has reflexible with mechanics, with ideas, with implementing different things and strategies that perhaps he's new to.
Speaker 2: Okay, So with all that being said, we're trying to digest everything you just said. Sending him to the minor leagues to me is not the answer. I know some media people are already calling for that everything that you just said. I don't feel like going to the minor leagues is going to help him with the learning.
Speaker 5: Curve and it needs to happen here. And you know, fortunately he is an assistant and with the Dodger team that can absorb maybe skin to him and just throwing him out there in the fire and letting him run. I mean, Yamamoto in the playoffs. It was like, guys are gonna start a number five game, Well, you got to throw him in the fire because it's what is here for. So it'll come with time. It'll take two good innings for this gut to get going out of the belief to find whose rhythm, find his groove, and go out and dominate and show who he is because he's always been a strike throw, but never early in the season, as his pitching coaches and the pat have told me, always have commend issues in spring training and pretty much just what we're seeing right now.
Speaker 2: And with that being said, the bullpen use six different guys tonight. They're very fortunate tomorrow's a day off. Can the Dodgers withstand that? I mean, it's great for the learning curve of Sazaki, but it's not great for the bullpen If that's the number of innings have to cover every time out.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, it won't stay like this, I believe so if it does, and another option is going to have to be used. But you know, thankfully you have a bop and you can cover. You have the outdate tomorrow, and then you have some pieces kind of that bullpen that are key there and not even there right now, so give it some time. But understandably he needs to make adjustments on the fly now and understand that this tough play is good enough. He does not have to be that careful picking in the big leagues and not being afred to field his own and not be so anxious to get to splitter accounts. Because his fastball rise pretty well today. He had more run and tail than the rider he had back in Japan.
Speaker 2: All right, let me ask you one other question about his outing tonight. I thought the at fat that maybe could have gave him some confidence backfired against him. Obviously, Margo hitting a swinging bunt to score a run that was that was bad luck to a certain extent. But Trey Sweeney, uh fouling off so many pitches, taking it to a ten pitch at bat and then walking. Why couldn't he put tray Sweeney away?
Speaker 5: Well, because fastos were not commanded the way that he wanted. And I think tray Swinny knows who the guy that throws that hard. Or you got to land early and just use your hands and either a very good job just not over using his body and when the ball's near the strike zone and higher it's a lot easier with your eyes to be closer to just make contact for his week contact that he needs to just command the fast fil a little bit better, and it starts with up and down, north, south, east and west. But more than anything, just go out there and get into good counts and a lot of good things will happen though, so on ones are is going to be are going to be his best friends from here on on.
Speaker 2: One counts all right, Jose, thanks a lot for the insight. We'll look forward to hearing from you again on Monday. Enjoy your Sunday, Enjoy tomorrow you and Tel Yes, Sir Tayoe time at the Citadel Outlets for sure. Thanks Jose, love it, take it yeah, Ta Oscar Hernandez will be out there at the Polo Ralph Lauren Baseball Fan Experience from two to three. Will be hosting it from one to three out there, so we hope to see you as the Dodgers have a day off. You heard Jose talk about some reinforcements, Well we start to see some signs of that yesterday with Evan Phillips throwing to hitters and Tony Gonsolin doing the same thing. Phillips obviously is a reliever, so he doesn't need as much time to be built up. Also, show hey Otani through his first bullpen session since February twenty fifth. It was a twenty pitch bullpen session. But if you ask me, I just don't see Otani pitching any time before July, and there's no need to. They don't need to rush him back into this rotation. They've got plenty of arms that can cover the first half of the season. I really believe the Dodgers are trying to get Otani ready for the playoffs to be a weapon in October. Also, Clayton Kershaw today through to hitters for about an inning, So it's basically the start of spring training for Kershaw. With what we saw today, six weeks from now out, probably ready to come back to pitch in a major league game, but he's going to need to go through the whole process that pitchers go through during spring training, and that means going out on rehab assignments for four starts at least. So we'll see when Kershaw comes back. But today was a good sign that he is moving in the right direction. Speaking up, moving in the right direction, Dodgers Director of Team Travel, Scott Akasaki, directs the Dodgers from city to city in the United States. In the last two years, has directed the Dodgers players, coaching staff in front office from Arizona to Soul, Korea, and then this year from Arizona to Tokyo, Japan, and then back to Los Angeles. I was just curious, how the heck did he do all that?
Speaker 11: Well, Dave, you asked that question, and you're giving me a lot of credit, but I certainly can't take that credit. Certainly, the folks at Major League Baseball, who organize the trip for the Dodgers and Cubs, played a huge role. The team that we have here. Al garciaan Security, Alex Torres the equipment side, and Marcazai and Baseball Operations really were instrumental in getting this trip off the ground. Patricia Romero and family programs, everybody was all synced up. Of course, our front office is aligned, so Andrew Brandon, their leadership, of course, the coaching staff, everybody is. When we needed information to get all the stuff we needed to get like, it came very quickly because everyone wanted to have a great time in Japan.
Speaker 2: You've been part of the Dodger organization for over twenty years. Now, you've seen a lot. What's it like in twenty twenty five for you to be where you're at right now and not just being with a baseball team, but basically being with a rock band going around the country and the world was show.
Speaker 11: You know, Dave, not only is it the time with the Dodgers, but you know, I was born and raised in Los Angeles, so to see the city and how energized the city is and how energy how people are excited about the Dodgers is absolutely fantastic. And so yes, Shohio Tani, the best player on the planet. To be able to travel the United States and internationally with him is certainly amazing. But what a great group of guys, you know, show, Hey, everybody is absolutely awesome.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: There is Scott Akasaki, a Los Angeles native now the Dodgers director of team travel and part of the organization for over twenty years. He did a phenomenal job along with the rest of the Dodger travel team to get the team from Phoenix to Tokyo seamlessly and then back to LA for the start of the North American part of the schedule. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. We will see you tomorrow at the Citadel Outlets at one o'clock. Don't forget Taoscar Hernandez will be out there, not signing autographs, just taking photos and being the great Taoscar that he is from two to three, and we'll see you out there at the Polo Ralph Lauren Baseball fan experience with Taoscar Hernandez, and then the Dodgers are back to baseball. On Monday night, Tyler Glass now will make his season debut, going up against former Dodger draft pick Grant Holmes, who somehow has found us footing in Major League Baseball with the Braves from reliever to now starter Verrongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock, with first pitch at seven ten. Thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. Happy birthday to Pepe and Ingez, and our thoughts and prayers are also with the family of former Dodger organist Nancy b. Heflee, who was phenomenal in over or nearly thirty years of playing the organ here at Dodgers Stadium. She was a great lady and she will be dearly missed. I'll always remember fitting tonight or herscheizer replica Jersey giveaway.
Speaker 3: Nancy b.
Speaker 2: Hefley was always pointed out by Vin Scully. She was playing Master of the House before every oral, herscheizer start as he was warming up for the game. So, Nancy, we will think about you and your legacy will live on forever. And awesome lady, awesome organist, and she always made the Dodger Stadium experience great like dita rule does now. So just want to let you know we were thinking about you. And happy birthday, Peppy. Once again the Dodgers get you a win seven to three over the Tigers.
Speaker 3: Have a great rest of your night. See you