Speaker 1: Callaroga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: Hey there, I'm Johnny Mack with your daily comedy news. This is the final weekend where I can actually enjoy the summer before I start freaking out that summer's almost over. I know I'm a crazy person, but like today, I can go to the beach. We'll be like, gohs plenty of summer left. Starting next weekend, which toly nineteenth, I'll be like, oh, it's only two left in July. That's August, and I gotta start teaching again. That's limbord. Oh, I got I'm a crazy person. I'm good from like Memorial Day till today and then I got crazy. Naprigassy looks like he's jumping in another movie. Deadline reporting the Amazon MGM studios have acquired Fantasy Camp. Fantasy Camp follows a group of friends at a make or break moment in their lives, as they had to Dwyane Wade's Fantasy Camp in Miami to relive their basketball dreams. But what starts as fun becomes a battle for pride, purpose, and one last win. Is Kevin James not available? This sounds terrible anyway. Nprighassy is looking to star in it. With Nate Land Entertainment producing Nate Nate, Nate Nate. Don't mess it up. You got it going good. You gotta go do SNL once a year. Learn from Alaney, do sn OL once a year. To your Christmas special. Do stand up. You got it good. You're gonna mess it up here. I'm telling you, We're gonna come back in ten years and I'm gonna be doing a story going. Remember when Aprigatsy was going to build an amusement park in Nashville. I see this coming. You got it good, don't mess it up. Roywood Junior spoke to GQ. They were curious how Roy got the baseball bug. Roy said, f word, bro, that's a good question. When I was in Memphis, my mom put me in baseball and I took to it. I thought it was fun. I wasn't good at it. I was very terrible at it, but I liked it. Then we got to Birmingham in the fourth grade and I joined the Little League. It was with a lot of my classmates. I had the right coaches, and I became excited about it. At the same time, I was going after school care like I did in Memphis. I got to walk home, the Cubs came on at one or two in the afternoon. I would come home and sign to see that little last bit of the Cubs game.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: I'd sit there, no homework, no nothing, just sitting there with a Rice Crispy treat watching Andre Dawson. I just fell in love with it, man, right down to the broadcast teams and all that. And then I hit a second wave when I became a parent. Yeah, I remember when baseball. The Cubs were on everywhere, the Braves were on everywhere. There were day games. The World Series sometimes played in the afternoon, and kids could see it. They even chased me. I was a big baseball fan, and they just kept playing. Like remember the Cubs finally won the World Series, but there was a rain delay, and that happened at twelve thirty in the morning. I couldn't even bother to stay up for that. Now, you know what they should have done that night. They should have called a suspended game and then come back the next night to play the tenth inning in primetime at like eight Eastern with a Cub That would have done a monster rating. But baseball doesn't know how to market anyway. I digress. GQ was curious, what's the scouting report on roy Wood junior. Royce said, great locker room guy, lot of heart, first baseman. They can't hit for Bauer, but will ouhustle anyone on the field. Fairly slow, excellent glove man. The ball wasn't getting past me. I could, scoop. I could do all that on my best day. I'd be a late inning defensive replacement when we're defending a one run lead in September during a Pennant race. I'm defensively dominant, but a liability at the plate. Sounds like the eighty six Red Sox could have used him too soon. GQ was curious, could you play corner outfield if you need to? Roy said, I don't know, man, I'm not getting a no gappers, I don't have the wheels, and my horse can't get there. I thought this was interesting. He says, my son's not playing organized baseball. I'm not forcing him in any sports, but we do a little bit of batting practice, playing catch. But to me right now, baseball, much like chess and legos, is a tool to teach what I believe is very pertinent life lessons. The main one in baseball is the idea that you can't do it alone. But a lot of time it's just up to you, and sometimes you're just gonna suck. Sometimes that picture your face is going to be way better than you and there's nothing to get you about it.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: I wish I were in LA this weekend. I have some family out there and they're not out there this weekend. If I were, it, head over to LA Live for Belly Laughs. Belly Laughs is celebrating Asian American culture by combining food and comedy. Take a look at the lineup in a second, but they liners include Hassan Minhaj coming on on Jehannny Margaret Show, Joe Kimbooster, and Cherry Kola. More than thirty comedians, three stages, two days. But there's also a food lineup featuring food from twenty restaurants across LA. Remember during the pandemic, when you know there wasn't anything to talk about, and I'd wind up going on these deep dive reading menus to you. Remember I used to do that sometimes. That was because George Lopez opened to George Lopez Tacos. I remember George Lopez Tacos. He was all in about that and I kind of forgot about it. I don't even think the url is still alive. I think I checked this one other time. Let me do that now, George Lopez Tacos. It's coming up on next bite. Let me click. That's taking me to visit the restaurant website. Yeah, now this is taking me to Somebody has gotten a hold of Lopez Tacos dot com. And apparently the text on the website is in Thai. I had to throw it into Google Translate to see what it even says. And apparently what it says on Lopez Tacos dot com in Thai language translated to English. Driving on the road today, no matter how careful drivers are, how much they prevent accidents or unexpected events, even though it's a good thing, there's still a chance that accidents are unexpected events will happen as usual because they may come from fellow road users or events that you cannot control. So George Lopez is so far in on Lopez Tacos that he didn't even bother to keep the url. Apparently, I digress. Johnny macbot here, John forgot to record the lineups. Forgive my pronunciations, after all, I'm an Ai Today, Hassan Minhaj Kumeil Nanjianni, Zarna garg Nimesh Patel, Johnny Park, Andrea Jin, Jason Chenni, Irene Two, Dylan Adler, Kieran Diol, Sabrina Wu, James, Tom Tien, Tron, Robin Tran, Tatiana Gucci and Di Loo. Tomorrow Hassan minhadj Margaret Cho, Bobby Lee, Joel Kim Booster, Hari Kondabolu, as If Ali, Joe Wong, Jenny Yang, Helen Hong, Fumi abe is My Alutfee, Aaron chen Nori Reid, Paula Gatta, Beautie shit Yarma, and Vicky Wang. Now back to human Johnny mack el eight Simes caught up with Kamail nan Gianni about the Belly Laughs Festival. He's happy returning to stand up after doing some films. He said, I miss being good at something I wasn't good at anymore. I used to have so much confidence in this. Now it feels like I'm a different person, and so in the strikes, the Hollywood strikes, I was like, I want to try and see if I still love it. Cherry Cola says, I find being a stand up comedian as a superpower stepping on to a set for sure. I think because we're good at crowd work. We have a quickness that on every actor has. Cherry Cola says that after being the subject of racial jokes for decades, the best way to counteract the sting of the stereotypes is for Asian comedians to write jokes about their cultures that help their communities laugh. She says, I don't know if it's just society trying to define us or put us in a box, but it's almost like we just recently got permissional laugh at ourselves because we've been the punchline for years in the media, and now it's a chance to exale because this is a safe space. It's kind of what Belly Laughs is giving. Johnny Mack, you never mentioned Pete Davidson. I know well. The UK festival fright Fest has revealed its twenty twenty five lineup. The event will open with the Pete Davidson horror film The Home Freight Fest August twenty first through the twenty fifth. Vulture has some spoilers for the plots for the rest of the season of It's Always Sonny in Philadelphia, So if you don't want to know what's coming Skip ahead. I can probably do this in under a minute, so I want you to hit skip skip anyway. The rest of the season, according to Vulture, includes the Gang seriously engineering strangers, objectifying women, hosting an orgy, breaking up a happy family, and harassing Cricket and the waitress. And later in the season It's always Sunny. We'll cross over with The Golden Bachelor. Broadway World reported on a cast and call for an off Broadway show called Not Ready for Prime Time. This set backstage at SNL's early days. That sounds pretty cool. The SNL movie it was really good. The production self describes as a play about an American institution run by people who belong in an institution. They're looking for people to play Lorne Michaels, Dan Ackroyd, John Belushy, Chevy Chase, Jean Curtin, Garrett Morris, Bill Murray, Lorraine Newman, and Gilda Radner. Late Nighter points out since Bill Murray is a character in this that it will take place in a bigger timeline than the Saturday Night movie did. Broadway World says Not Ready for Prime Time will debut October fifth, scheduled for a limited run through December fourteenth at a yet to be announced theater. Staying with SNL. Apparently people are making SNL Lego. There's a website called Lego Ideas. On it you can pitch potential Lego sets that are voted on by Lego officionados, and sometimes Lego makes one. A new submission is called Live from New York It's Saturday Night. It's actually the second Saturday Night Live themed Lego. This new design includes seven Lego minifigures representing the original cast from nineteen seventy five. The creator says a detachable staircase could be used to pose your minifigures, as in the Face Name Is cast photo taken on opening night, eighteen hundred and thirty five pieces. The set includes glowing the dark elements to simulate studio lighting. If you want to support the idea and get Lego to actually make this thing, go to the Lego Ideas site. And that is your comedy news for today. If you'd like to program without commercial interruption or feed drops or other stuff, become a Premium subscriber. It's just five bucks a month. That's I mean, you spend more on that on coffee now I don't cause I go to the National Donuts chain. In my current order is four dollars thirty five cents, but you know, pretty close to five bucks. Anyway, you get the show commercial free without all the other stuff. Great way to support the show. You also get all the other stuff on the network without ads, including five good news stories which I host. So if you want to do that, if you're on Apple Podcast, click the matter that says uninterrupted listening, and if not, you can go to calibroug dot com slash plus. There's a link in the show notes that'll take you there. All right, see tomorrow. Now stick around for this interview our sister.
Speaker 3: I'm going to bring forward and yours and give it to you now. And he said, oh wow, that's that's great. Thank you. That's so generous of you, Carl. That's great. But his wife, my sister in law, went ballistic. She said, this is too much money, this is wrong. I don't want anything to do with and stormed out of the room. And I thought, well that's not what I expected. Oh my god. So I realized from that that this was not an easy thing to do. So I learned a lesson from that, and I knew that I had to do this authentically. I had to do it right, otherwise it was not.
Speaker 1: Going to work.
Speaker 3: So that happened. And then the third thing that happened was that I was looking at my financial statements and I had more money ain't there than I was really using. It was sitting there. I mean, it was growing, making profits and so forth, but it wasn't being used. I wasn't using it for me. I wasn't using it for things that I really cared about, not for my people. So I thought, well, if I have all this money, now, why should I wait until I die? Why don't I bring it forward? And then, you know, it was a long process for me to come around to that, but that's what finally started this, and I said, well, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: Now. Let's back up just a bit. Tell us a little bit about your new book. What is the Happiness Experiment.
Speaker 3: Well, this is a recording of the real events with real people who I decided that I would bring forward the inheritance the money I had for them in my will and made it a prequest. So it was a chunk of money that they were going to get. Well, they were still young enough to enjoy it, and I was still alive to see it happening. So I saw what they were doing. So when I sat down with them, I talked about money and happiness and how one can cognect. And I said, look, I'm going to bring this forward to give it to you, but what I want from you is a plan so you use this money, so it's really a big benefit for you. I don't want this to overwhelm you. And they said what kind of plan? I said, I want a happiness plan, and they said, a happiness plan?
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 3: So so you know, nobody has seems to have a happiness plan, but the most important plans you can get and it doesn't have to be very complex. What is it that makes you happy? What values do you want to pursue? You know, what goals and dreams do you have, and you can pursue them. And so I got them to write a happiness plan. And then when I saw the plan, I gave them all the money all at one time, and so then they took it and I watched them with their plan. I saw all their plans, what they did, and how they became happier. And so you know, that had to be written about so because I wanted other people to see what they did so that they too could do the same thing.
Speaker 1: Which prequest is the most unique one you've come across.
Speaker 3: Well, it was a very very painful and sad story because two dear friends of mine had a beloved daughter and she was hit head on by a drunk driver and killed. She happened to be eight months pregnant at the time, so that killed the granddaughter too, and also their daughter. They were totally wiped out, devastated, and they died emotionally. They had decided that they could never be happy again. It would be wrong to be happy. They didn't deserve to be happy because their darling daughter had been killed. Tremendously painful, awful, awful story. So they were grieving six years later and I met with them and I told them how much they had added to my life and how much I was so grateful to them, and that I wanted to express the gratitude, and I put them in my will and they could accept that. And I said, but I want you to have it now, and they said, oh no, no, we can't accept it. They turned it down. They turned it down. Well, we worked and I said, look, I'm leaving it open. So several months later, I think his wife persuaded him to do it. Actually, you know, and you know, so they said, okay, we'll do it, because if we're going to wait until you die, why not do it now. And they did it and it wasn't the money. Interesting Now, they said, it was the coaching that made the big difference, that changed their mind set from being so negative. You know, we'll never be happy again. We don't deserve to be happy. And the coach turned there thinking that mindset around and said, look, you know it can be you can be happy again. And they started to get the mindset of happy people. And now you cannot believe what these people. They're traveling all over the world. They're in Tahiti right now. They climbed Killamungarrett. These people are loving life. And it was a major change that is one of the most heartfelt, wonderful results of the And in a sense, she said, the wife said, this prequest changed or saved my life because we were no longer living, we were dead, and this brought us back to life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean dealing with grief and many of us have I have, you know, when you're in those depths. It's really it can be really difficult to find your way out of it. And you know, often it looks like there isn't a way out of it, and you know, sometimes you want to map right, and it looks like this concept could be a good map for you if it sounds like it was for these folks. I always like to end interviews by asking, is there anything that I didn't ask that I should have?
Speaker 3: How can my listeners benefit from this book? What should they do? What would be good for them? And so I'll answer that question. First off, think about happiness, Think about being happiness. Do you deserve to be happy? And you can be happy, but you have to make it as a choice. I'm going to increase my happiness just that if you make that realistically, I want to and I'm going to increase my happiness that choice, and then talk to people about it. Talk to a husband or wife or a girlfriend or a friend, a therapist or coach, talk to somebody about it and say, look, I'm made the decision that I want to be happier, and I'm like you to help me create a happiness plan and then work on it. And it's not that hard, but it is a but it is challenging, but it's a wonderful exercise. And if they do it, I guarantee they will increase their happiness. I guarantee it.
Speaker 1: Carl Barney is the author and the book is called The Happiness Experiments, A Revolutionary Way to Increase Happiness. Carl, where can people find the book?
Speaker 3: Wherever books are sold? And it's now available for pre order from Amazon, and they can go to the Happiness Experiment dot com and they can pre order it there, and I hope they will.
Speaker 1: Carl, thanks so much of the time. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, Dan. It's been fun.