Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray i WBS Costin's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, al, thank you very much. We are in the nine o'clock hour tonight. Right now, it's nineh eight. My name is Dan Ray, and we're going to talk this hour about Massachusetts, our home state, dear Massachusetts. And I have a reason for this, and we'll get to that in a moment. I'll tell you that coming up at ten o'clock tonight, we are going to be talking with an expert, doctor Sandra Dalton Smith, the author of Sacred Rest Recover your Life, Renew your energy, and Restore your sanity. And we're going to talk about getting sleep and getting rest, and it's so important and I think it's something that none of us really truly understand and appreciate. We had doctor Sandra Dalton Smith with us during the eight o'clock hour within the last two or three weeks, and I just thought that she would be a great guest for an hour, and that's happened. That happens a lot as a matter of a couple of guests. Tonight, I think we will head back to give you an opportunity to ask questions. So that's what's going on. And then at the eleven o'clock hour tonight we would do what we call the twentieth hour. Even though I haven't worked all five nights this week, there have been five nights of nightside. Morgan White was in for me on Monday and Tuesday night, and my shows this week were Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. I'm here all next week, by the way, fear not, but we do twenty hours of nightside every week, and we like to kind of end the week on a lighter note at also the ten o'clock hour. It's going to be a note which hopefully is going to give us some cause for thought and cause for a pause for rest, the idea that all of us probably are not getting the amount of sleep that we need. And that's what we'll talk about a ten. So let's talk about something that is near deer to my heart, and that is the comwalth of Massachusetts. And there was a time not so long ago when Massachusetts was colloquially referred to as Taxachusetts. That was back in the nineteen eighties. And then we had a series of Republican governors Weld and Salucci, Acting Governor Jane Swift. Dare I say, Mitt Romney and Charlie Baker, and to a more or a lesser degree, the Republicans tend to be a little bit more skeptical about burdening wage earners, workers, people who get up every day and do something earn their living. And not only the federal government, but the state government wants to take more and more and more. So today or tonight, I would love to talk to you in Massachusetts about the dilemma that we find ourselves in. And that dilemma is that our government here in Massachusetts, and particularly our legislature, about our government across the board, they have a hunger and a need for more money every year. I don't know how many of you have gotten raises in the last two or three years, but the one thing that I can tell you is the government always in Massachusetts gets a raise now right now. Earlier this evening, I received from the Media Relations Office of the Governor a synopsis, a little bit of a summary of the budget that the Governor Heatley has proposed. They're characterizing per budget as fifty nine point six billion dollars. That's a lot of money, Okay. However, However, when I go to a state website which is actually the governor's budget FY twenty six recommendations. That website says that the governor is recommending a state budget. Her recommendation is nearly sixty two billion dollars, So there's a little bit of a discrepancy there about two and a half billion dollars. One of the Boston newspapers today was suggesting that it's even higher than that. But whatever it is, the state always seems to need more money. So now at the Boston Globe, editorially, I think it's today, was it yesterday? It's their editorial yesterday they finished up, and of course the Globe is always in favor of tax increases, whether it's again needed, MBTA not necessarily needed as much education. There's a lot of needs here in the Commonwealth. But for example, they finish up by saying lawmakers also need to discuss whether they're willing to raise taxes to keep the budget balanced. Healey's budget relies on three hundred and twelve million dollars from new tax policies. Three hundred and twelve million dollars. That's real money. It's about a third of a billion dollars when you think about it. In twenty twenty three, the state authorized a charitable donation tax deduction. It had no limit, but now Healey is proposing capping that deduction at five thousand dollars per filer. So what that means is that in Massachusetts there are some very wealthy people who make substantial donations to medical facilities, to universities, to some of the big charities that we all are very familiar with, United Way and others, boys clubs and girls clubs and all of that. And it's a way in which services can be provided to individuals whomever. There's a lot of charities, great charities here in Massachusetts. We do our night Side Charity Combine every year, last two hours of my broadcast year in late December. We have done that now for this was our twelfth year that we have done I believe was our twelfth in December last month, December of twenty twenty four. And look, there are people who might who make donations to charities of five dollars and ten dollars or one hundred dollars, which is wonderful, uh, and it makes it's it's a very good instinct. But then there are people who make donations you'll see them of one hundred million dollars to this, you know, to the Harvard School of Public Health, and and there was a charitable deduction which the voters passed back in the year two thousand and three, and through a number of governors and legislatures that was ignored and then it was finally put into a play here in Massachusetts. For many, many years there was no charitable deductions allowed, meaning whatever charity charitable contribution you were to make it was, it was great for the charity, but there was no tax break for the donor. Well, now what they have decided to do is to cap it. So that means, if you're a very wealthy person, you might still give your one hundred million dollars to one of the big teaching hospitals here in Boston, or you might say, you know what, maybe I'll hold on to that money. And maybe since I'm being surrounded by taxes more and more every year here in Massachusetts, and some of the things that will be taxed are going to be nicked nicotine, different types of nicotine, a candy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Again, it's almost as if that in Massachusetts we taxed things anything that moves and anything that doesn't move, and they just go out of their way. Their appetite is rapacious. It is just it can never be satisfied here in Massachusetts. So you earn your money. And the question that I want some of you to answer for me is how much do you feel the government, the federal government and the state government should take from your paychecks. That's really kind of my bottom line question. Now you may say, well, it doesn't really matter to me because whatever. Okay, well it should, but that's okay. But I'll tell you who it's going to matter to. And we've talked about this before, and i'd love to hear those of you who are sports fans. You were going to see Boston sports teams, professional sports teams, the Celtics, the Bruins, the Red Sox, and the Patriots and the Revolution to a lesser extent because they don't have the big, multimillion dollar year contracts. You're gonna see more and more professional athletes say hey, and athletes agents say I'm not having my guy sign with the Red Sox or the Yankees, that those taxes are out of you know, I'm going to have them sign up with the Texas Rangers, or they're going to sign up with the Tampa Bay Devil, the Tampa Bay Rays, or in cities and in states where where the amount of taxes that they pay on a big contract, if you're signing a one hundred million dollar contract, and if you're conscious of how much of that money you're going to get as a pro athlete, and if it's a close call, you know, the Red Sox we're chasing Juan Soto. And again, not to get too derailed here in sports, but one of the things we love about Massachusetts we have good professional sports teams and we go to the Garden, go to Gillect for the most part, or go to Fenway Park and know that you're looking at a contending team. Well, a lot of that's going to go away. But even more importantly, Massachusetts, Massachusetts is going to once again earn the reputation of being Taxachusetts. It has already. We see there's more people leaving Massachusetts. And the people who are leaving Massachusetts are the people who earn more money because tax policy does make a difference.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I know some of you are going to say, Dan, you're talking about tax policy. I don't even know what you're talking about. If you have a question, give me a call. I want to know from each of you. Whatever you do for a job, however much money you make, how much money do you feel at the end of the year does the government meaning the Feds and the state, And in some cases I guess well, in many cases your town's particularly if you own a home, what percentage of your money do you feel the government should have a right to take from you? That's the question you have the answers six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. And if there's anyone listening out there tonight who have moved out of Massachusetts in whole or in part because of the tax policies here, love to hear from you. You don't have to identify yourself. You could use a different name if you want, tell me what state you've moved to, tell me what you do for a living, and tell me why you moved. It's as simple as that. All of these it is just the question of I want the government out of people's pockets. Okay, I really do. The government has some great responsibilities that I think all of us agree are necessary, but it just seems to me that they will get in your pocket every way, Whether it's the candy bar that you that you're going to buy, the small little pleasures of life. They're going to allow mount more cameras, more speed cameras, to make sure that if you're caught speeding, they want to penalize you, and they want to tax you, particularly if you're someone who earns a living, if you're a citizen and you're a worker, or for that matter, if you're a non citizen and you're a worker and you're getting a paycheck as opposed to being paid under the table, you're paying some taxes. How much do you think the government should extract from you? Just you? I will be back on Nightside. Well, what are the numbers real? Really? See six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty Those are the two numbers will get you through. And this has nothing to do, in my opinion, with Democrats and Republicans. This has everything to do with you and how much you're how much you need to pay to government to in order to have the privilege of living in Massachusetts. Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Taxes. We have. We fought a revolution about this, by the way back in the late seventeen hundreds, No taxation without representation. Remember that was the cry of the patriots, not the current New England patriots. No no, no, no, no, no, the original patriots, ladies and gentlemen. So I just want to go to the calls and I want to hear from you. And here's the other thing. I want someone to explain to me the phrase when they say people should pay their fair share, but that they should do fair share. No one defines what fair share means. You know, some people fair share means everything. Some people it might mean very little. But love to know, you know, with the signs fair share, make people pay the fair share, fair share. Let's go. Let me go to John and Deanna. Hey, John, welcome, how are you tonight? Welcome? Hey.
Speaker 4: Before you get to the topic on hand, just a program may suggest I wish your station would spend at least an hour week for more government waste, government fraud people calling in. I think we all know somebody who works for the government or subsidized the company and they do nothing, They get a ridiculous compensation package. Everything costs more Massachusetts electricity, auto insurance, and obviously taxes too. So but to address your question, my opinion, we should have a higher skin of deduction. I'm abitryly just picking like one hundred thousand. The first hundred thousand your tax free. You have a sales tax, you should be able to make pay all our state's expenses based on that sales tax. Although wait, we made double tax and we know, like how many times you hear we want to raise the gas tax when there's no accountability for the current revenue from gas tax, the roads get done, nothing's getting repaired, and where are our tax dollars going?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and enough. I wish, I wish I had a good answer for you. I really don't. I don't think I can tell you this. I've spent a lot of winter time in New Hampshire, and when I last checked, I might be wrong on this one. New Hampshire was north of Massachusetts, and New Hampshire receives more snow and more cold weather the further north you go. And yet their roads are better than the roads in Massachusetts, and they keep those roads better at about a third of the cost per mile of what we spend on the roads in Massachusetts.
Speaker 4: Sorry, within the last week that that Massachusetts and New Hampshire. If somebody knows this, please call him. We get electricity off the same grid, but for some reason, New Hampshire's electricity is a fraction of what Massachusetts cost. And again, I'll tell.
Speaker 2: You what, I'll try to look into that. I'll tell you that you know they've former governor for eight years was Kristanunu And Kristan Unho is a business guy. And if he thought that he could get rates lowered for his consumers in New Hampshire, I'm sure he probably came up with some sort of a deal that benefited his you know, his constituents. I don't know, think the governor.
Speaker 4: But when the governor's doing, not the new governor bringing up trying to get all the Massachusetts businesses to move to New Hampshire and rightfully sew it a day. One last thing came when you said that fair ship. I think I've been saying the same thing when Biden used to say it. Obama used to say it. I don't care Republican the Democrat has it, Can you please define it?
Speaker 2: They don't want to define it because you know, it's something where where people who don't think and you're a thinker, and most of my listeners think it's like everybody should pay the fair share. Yo, how much is that? Ooh? You know, for me it's like two percent, but for you it's on fifty five percent. I mean, you know.
Speaker 4: It's And if you're not if you last this year, if you're not illegal, and you make you a million dollars, you pay no taxes. Good for you. You know that's the law. Right, you'll go up with a tax law change.
Speaker 2: Well, what I'm a big I'm a big believer and I think you are too, uh in the concept of a flat tax. Meaning you you talk about all the corporate loopholes in the federal you know, taxes and all of that, and the K Street lobbyist down in Washington, And the reason all those people get there and get paid a lot of money and they make donations to politicians who write the Internal Revenue Code is they want to have a tax break for their industry. Want to have a tax break for this tax break for that. We don't have anyone representing us down there except members of Congress, and here in Massachusetts, very few of them really interested in looking out for me or you. They that's just the way it is. They're down there. But but if you have a flat tax, you could say, as you said, anybody who makes up to let's say, seventy thousand dollars a year, doesn't pay any tax on the first seventy thousand dollars. An absolute deduction, a deduction on that across the board. Everybody gets that off. And then you begin to say, Okay, everybody's gonna pay. And I've seen different figures twelve percent, thirteen percent. If you're if you're making ten million dollars a year, you're gonna pay thirteen percent on that doesn't matter what investments you make. No loopholes, no.
Speaker 4: No, no deductions, no credits.
Speaker 2: Yeahs simple as that. And that would be a fair share. But that's not what they want. The people who are who are mouthing the platitude fair share, they want us. What they're really saying is soak the rich.
Speaker 4: And guess what I guarantee I think again, those people who are saying pay your fair share, I guarantee you they're not paying their fair share of taxes.
Speaker 2: Most of them aren't paying anything exactly because they're the ones who are outside demonstrating in the middle of the week on a Wednesday morning. Anyway, John, you got to call my show more off and I love you spirit man. And when's the last time you called this show?
Speaker 4: Uh, probably a week or two ago.
Speaker 2: Well, keep keep the pace up then, I love it, I really do. Thank you so much. Okay, thank you, Toby. And he's an honest man too. We got news at the bottom of the hour coming up. It's nine to thirty one. We're a little bit late. We will talk about this only until nine o'clock. So if you have a different point of view, if you think that rich people should pay substantially more than they're paying now, if you believe in soak the rich, come on, tell me why, tell me why? At what point do you stop soaking them or do you just soak them until they say, I don't like the tax policies and I don't like the weather, and I'm heading south back on nightside. The only line that's well, they got one line at six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty and he can try also six one, seven, nine, three, one ten thirty back on nightside right after this, and ladies, I want you, I want to hear from you, folks. I have my calls at this point, most of them seem to be mail. I want to hear females on this. Okay, simple as that. What what what is the fee? What's your fears? Share? Tell me what you think it is? Back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get back to the calls. We're going to go to this, says doctor Silo in Lowell. Doctor Silo, how are you that type of doctor?
Speaker 4: Pretty good? Pretty good?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 4: How are you good?
Speaker 2: What sort of doctor?
Speaker 4: If I could ask, I do engineering, energy, research, and renewable resources.
Speaker 2: Excellent? So tell us what uh what do you think of Massachusetts tax policies?
Speaker 4: All right, this is gonna be short and sweet. My personal thing is, yeah, I've lived in mass all my life, so I can put in forty years if I I've been in mass plus. I believe I believe that my own this is just my own personal opinion. I believe that there's a hidden, a hidden corruption in the tax system in the state. And the reason I say there is because I mean there's no oversight to determine what they really do with the tax money that they already receive. And you know, I'm not going I'm not going into explaining to you know, residents of mass of what we're taxed for. We're taxed for damned near everything.
Speaker 2: But well, as they said, there's the tax doctor silo, anything that moves or anything that doesn't.
Speaker 4: Move exactly, and and and there there needs to be some kind of oversight, Like I see a position where they say, okay, we're going to list all the all the monetary requirements that the state needs to run the state, and then they need the list where the money comes from.
Speaker 2: You know, I have some good news for you actually, and I'm being very serious when I say that we have a position for that responsibility who we elect every four years. It's a state auditor. And we finally have a state auditor and auditor Diana does Ugly, who happens to be a Democrat, by the way, who wants to audit, amongst other things, the legislature and their stonewallinger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know that this is what I mean. They don't want they don't want any oversight. And I look at it. I've heard about that, and I said, well, actually we voted on it, and we said yes, she should be able to she should be able to audit you. Because see, the thing people are, the citizens of mass needs to realize is look, if you're up in Beacon Hill and you're doing your job and they say we got to audit you, you should say, Okay, I ain't got no problems with that. But if you if you want, I want to put some kind of shield or barrier up so you can't be audited, then you must have some kind of hidden corruption in there. That's what I would think, and I think everybody in the all citizens of the state would think the same thing.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't it be great if someday someone you get a letter from the I R S that says we're going to audit you. Did you could say what the legislature says is nope, you kin'd audit me.
Speaker 4: That, Well, we can't, we can't do that. We we know we file uh, you know, off off the top of my head. If you get a letter from the I R S saying you owe a certain amount of money, you can file a hardship form. And most of the time the I R S will say, okay, we understand, you know, we know we had the COVID and a bunch of other stuff. Usually the I R. S is pretty reasonable. Now, maybe that's kind of strange for me to say that, but I think they're kind of reasonable. But they have oversight. The State Master doesn't have no oversight that I know of. They're supposed to to have it. But they say, oh no, you can't audit us.
Speaker 2: Well, that take me saying we've had the state auditor on the program on several occasions and we stand shoulder to shoulder with her in her effort to audit the state legislature, and we'll have her back.
Speaker 4: That's no promise, right, So why do you why do why would you even deny her the chance to go in there and audit you if you weren't doing something wrong? Yeah, doesn't that make sense?
Speaker 2: No, of course it does. But what they're going to say is, we have the separation of powers. We're the legislative branch, and we should not be audited by.
Speaker 4: Something that doesn't to me. To me as a as a citizen that lives here, you know you you can be audited. I don't care who you are or what kind of powers you have. And Beacon Hill, if if the government or the or the people say Hey, yeah, we want you to be audited. Now, if you let the audit go through and just say yeah, we're going to give you whatever you need, most people would say, okay, well they must be doing their job. But if, for if, if you even think about saying no, people are going to think, well, you must have some kind of corruption going on in there, because that's what I would think.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No. You know, first of all, I don't think you've ever called my show before, so I want to welcome that I have that you haven't. Well, your first time caller, we give you a round of applause here from a digital studio audience. You understanding ovation.
Speaker 4: I'd listen to your show all the time. When I come back from work. I usually get out, like at eleven thirty at one of my jobs, and then I turn you on and I say, man, I got to call this guy Dan for something, and this is it.
Speaker 2: So well, you hit a home run tonight, and I hope you come back and step into the batter's box again. Okay, And I really mean that. Thank you, doctor Silo, Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Great night, Youtobe YouTube, take care, bye bye you too.
Speaker 2: Good night. Let me go to jose In Braintree. Jose, how are you, sir?
Speaker 4: I'm doing pretty well. Oh Dan, I got I gotta tell you.
Speaker 6: I live in the town a brainch where they test the property test or increase.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: The voters did that just to keep the jobs for like schools and like the.
Speaker 4: Just in general, the public works.
Speaker 6: I don't have a problem, pain.
Speaker 4: Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: I can hear you. Very fine, very well, you go right ahead. I'm just go ahead.
Speaker 6: And so just just in the year this this year, my property tax went up three hundred dollars a quarter. So it okay, that being said, is like your first college said, where's these taxes going? Like as soon as the dollars exchange your tax on it with the receiver and the person paying. So it's it's quite upsetting. Like I don't care what what what party you with, Republican or Democrat. We're tired of this. We're tired of this massive it's it's ridiculous. Like wherever you turn, you.
Speaker 2: Sound like, Jose, you sound like a young guy to me. I don't know how old you are, but when when you're how much twenty five?
Speaker 4: You said, thirty five, thirty five?
Speaker 2: Okay, well you're you're a young guy. You're half my age. When I was your age. Back many years ago, Massachusetts was called Taxachusetts because they just had these insane policies and they tax more now than they ever did, and they can. They want to go up on everything. They're going to have pretty soon. Cameras on roads, so if you make a turn, you know, you go through a red light or through a yellow light, or you don't stop or whatever, they'll have your that's a form of taxation. I mean, obviously not technically it's taxation, but it's another way with the government's going to get their hand in your pocket. They think it's worth it to put the cameras up, hire more people, to to send out tickets to people, bills to people. You know, it's just going to force people to leave Massachusetts. You know, I've lived here my entire life too, But you get to a point where you say, you know what, enough is enough, No moss, no moss.
Speaker 6: I lived here all my life, and each day I'm closer and close to looking into a warmer state that the taxes aren't crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, there's a bunch of them. Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, Texas. There yea, and again people, you know, people have had that choice. What do you think in all honesty, don't tell me how much you make or anything like that. It doesn't matter. What do you think would be a fair amount of taxes. Let's say for every thousand dollars that you earn, and you work, so you get up every day, five days a week or whatever whatever, how many days a week out of one thousand dollars, how much should the government be able to take out of your pocket, both in terms of federal, state, and local What should it add up two d.
Speaker 4: I'm okay with a quarter of it, and totally I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I think that's a reasonable figure. Because you have property taxes. You live in brain Tree, you have property taxes, you have state income taxes, you have federal income taxes, and of course you also pay a lot of taxes. Every time you go to the supermarket, there's you know, sales tax on this or sale or you know different you know, different sales taxes. They're gasoline taxes. When you pay you know, two ninety or two ninety five for gallon of gasoline, a good portion of that goes to state. In federal taxes. You don't even really most people don't even realize that you probably do. But there's there's fairly substantial taxes by the way, both federal and state, on every gallon of gasoline that you put in your car so you can afford to go and drive to work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly what you're saying. This is one thing I want people to be careful with as well.
Speaker 7: Like if you ever pay your ex tax by cash? Yeah, if you ever do that by cash, I believe the person that the people that take care of the state.
Speaker 6: I think it's Kelly Ryan that take care of the payment.
Speaker 4: Uh, There's been numerous the times that.
Speaker 6: That I've paid.
Speaker 4: It's which which is my fault?
Speaker 6: I paid the XO tax in cash at like when I lived in Boston at City Hall or in Brainstreet.
Speaker 2: I do that. Never do that. You got to always on that use a check. Okay, that's you know, that's the safest lesson.
Speaker 6: Let'son learned.
Speaker 2: He Jose, thank you so much, Thank Jose, thank you for Have you called before? Is this your first time?
Speaker 4: I called?
Speaker 6: When when I first uh, when I was eighteen, when I first voted. We we we had a conversation so years ago.
Speaker 2: Well I've only been in the year here. We're in my eighteenth year. So I I want you to come back more often, because eighteen years from now, Jose, I'm probably gonna be retired.
Speaker 4: So I love people.
Speaker 2: I loved your call. Get out and run for public office. What sort of work do you do? Don't just tell don't tell me where you work, but what type of work do you do?
Speaker 4: I'm a commercial driver.
Speaker 2: Good for you, Good for you, well, good for you. You are the backbone. I have a friend of mine named Steve who's a long haul truck driver, you guys, and a fellow named sterling out in South Dakota who drives all over the country. You guys are the backboat of the country because there's nothing that I buy that you guys don't transport to the stores that I go to buy. So thank you for what you do. You are the backboat of this country, my friend. Thank you, welcome. Thanks than Jose. Good night. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Those are the line. Those are the only lines that are open right now. I got coming up, I got JJ, and I got Terry, got a little root for you. Give me a call. We're gonna change time. Topics of ten. Going to talk about how to get better rest, how to get better sleep. We all need it. Coming back on nights Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Back to the phones. You go, let me go to JJ in Winchester. JJ. Welcome. How are I.
Speaker 3: Thank you well? I'm doing well. Thanks stan So. To answer your question, I think you know me well enough to know what I'm about to say. Zero percent income tax zero It's the worst thing they could ever do to the Constitution at an amendment like that. Get rid of it. And also, you know, the people have to really understand what is the proper role of government. Is the government's jobbed the vibe for us? Well, then the government people away from us. Too big enough to give us everything, they're big enough to take it all away as well.
Speaker 2: The government giveth and the government takes.
Speaker 3: That's the way I like the way you said it, though, Dan, You've been saying it a long time, and I like it. The government that is the smallest governs the best. I think, I you know, maybe change it around a little bit, but you know what I means.
Speaker 4: And a.
Speaker 3: Vigilant because why should they a group of elite representatives both themselves raises decide what should be spent on, what the money should be spent on. No, let's all look at what is money really being spent on? Is it really efficient? Is it really necessary?
Speaker 2: You know. One of the things that you can do, UH is you know someone will say, well, okay, JJ, how do you raise money for police and fire and all of that. You can have what's called the value added tax. They do a lot of that in Europe where were people who buy Maseraties and Lamborghinis. They get hit with a healthy tax on top of that, you know, so you know, off of the cost of the car. And there could be you can have there's different ways to raise money. Look, and I love what I love JJ is the people who say people, the rich people should pay their fair share. And they just ask them what's their fair share?
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna I'm gonna petition you to get a guest on he's he's some sound Money defense league And basically they make they help legislators in every state, including Massachusetts or Taxachusets to start thinking about fiscal and UH monetary policy. They go together because if you talk about supporting firemen and police and all that necessary stuff, Well I I okay, but what's what's happening is we have a fiat currency that loses values, so we have to spend more money to take care of those departments, and we don't know it's it's not efficient. We have to we have to overhaul this whole thing.
Speaker 2: No, there's a lot of reform that is needed. But I just love it when you say you have people, you know, tax the rich, soak the rich. The next one's going to be eat the rich.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I have someone on my Facebook friend list that it keeps saying that, but you know it's it's not it's it's an emotional slogan. It makes them feel good, but in reality, it doesn't. It doesn't work. It just causes job creators, which the wealthy are right, you're not working for someone poorer than you, right, You're working with someone created your job and had the capital do it or the investment. We're driving them away. This is a failed state. I hate to say that about Massachusetts because I live here, but it's a failed state when you have to continue to soak people working people continue to take from them, and spend, spend, spend on stuff. They don't even know what you're spending on. We don't even know.
Speaker 2: We saw some of it, We saw some of the no big contracts that out of the shelter, and that has woken Governor Heally up. I think she's actually her eyes have now been open to that. My favorite is the guy that got the six million dollars no big contract, the cab company on the Cape. It's a lot of cab rides. For six million dollars. You could ride a cab probably all day long in the Cape and still have money left over.
Speaker 3: Remably, shouldn't be tacked in the rights to work, shouldn't be attacked seat. I think we need to have all mind shift in our culture about what the role of government should be, and then we can stop to solve these problems. Thank you for coming this topic.
Speaker 2: Then JJ, I should have I should have thought to dedicate the show to you. But but send me the information in that group. You got my email and I'll look into it. Thank you much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Let me go to Terry down to the Cape. Terry, welcome back. How are you. How's everything? I bet it's cold in the Cape tonight, Terry. No beach beaches, beach activity this weekend's no, there's.
Speaker 5: No swimming down here. Damn. How are you I'm doing?
Speaker 2: I hope you'd have it.
Speaker 3: A good winter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not bad, honest. So I got a different spin on this a little bit because I am not an expert in state budgetary. It's too many storws for me to think of. But one of the things that bothers me the most is fraud and corruption. I recently learned that when Governor Sheerly took her oath of office to be governor, she inherited a three billion dollar payback to the federal government that's required.
Speaker 2: It was two point one billion dollars that was incurred under the Baker administration and.
Speaker 5: Now but it was three billion, but because they used COVID money to pay unemployment benefits, correct, and they shouldn't have. But Governor Baker, and excuse me, Governor Heally and her team successfully negotiated that down to two point five billion dollar payback over ten years. And then we have the crisis with the Catholic Church and all of those hospitals that went under because the Catholic Church direct restored them to a for profit institution to run hospitals so that they could make more money to pay out their nine hundred and eighty four million dollars settlement on the sexual abuse issues that are ongoing.
Speaker 2: It's amazing how all of these things have impacted internally. You've raised some great points. Unfortunately, I got fifteen seconds left.
Speaker 5: In the hour, and Dan, we got that tea that ran out under the premious administration, under that horrible storm they weren't prepared for, and that costs billions of dollars, and that's coming out of our pockets.
Speaker 4: Dan, you bet.
Speaker 2: You, you bet you. And it all comes down to incompetent leadership in one form or another. Terry, I gotta let you run. Stay warm this weekend, Okay, he in.
Speaker 5: Errig is it? Okay?
Speaker 2: Bye Dan, good night, bye bye. All right, we get back. We're going to talk about how to get better sleep. In the importance of sleep. I think there's going to be an interesting hour for everyone. No politics, everybody sleeps. We're coming back on Night Side