Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's unpack this. We often frame the universe as you know, this enormous, immutable backdrop, something so ancient and vast that it seems entirely static over the span of a human lifetime. We look up and the stars they're pretty much where they were for our great grandparents, right.
Speaker 3: Right, that's the common perception, fixed, unchanging.
Speaker 2: But today we're diving into the study of a single object that well violently defies that expectation, an object whose changes are so rapid they can actually be measured, tracked, observed over just a hie hundred and thirty years.
Speaker 3: And it's those dramatic visible shifts, these objects evolving within our are observational record that really force us to challenge those underlying assumptions we think of stellar evolution in millions billions of years. Now here we have a real time lab, relatively speaking, showing change over.
Speaker 2: A single century exactly. We are looking at the stunning planetary nebula, known officially as IC four eighteen, but you probably know it better by its nickname, the spirograph nebula.
Speaker 3: Ah. Yes, the spirograph. It's a great name.
Speaker 2: Name for those complex, intricate looping structures. The Hubble space telescope captured so beautifully. It really does look like something made with that old geometric toy.
Speaker 3: And that nickname is important. I think it grounds the science and something well familiar and beautiful. It emphasizes this isn't just some distant, fuzzy smudge. It's dynamic caught right in the act of its final transformation.
Speaker 2: Cosmic change on a timescale we can actually grasp precisely. So our mission today is built around this fascinating study publish in Astrophysical Journal Letters. The team accomplished something pretty remarkable. They stitch together this almost unbroken one hundred and thirty year lineage of observations for Icy.
Speaker 3: Four eighteen, a huge undertaking.
Speaker 2: They did this to track the star's death rows, and specifically to figure out what it's well, astonishingly rapid evolution means for a really fundamental question, which is how the ingredients for life, particularly carbon, get distributed throughout the galaxy.
Speaker 3: Ah, the big one, cosmic chemistry. So it's like a detective story starting way back in the nineteenth century and.
Speaker 2: Ending with some pretty profound implications for how we understand astrophysics today.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's start with the basics. The object itself IC four eighteen. Where do we find it?
Speaker 3: Right? You need to look towards the southern constellation Lepis. That's Latin for the hair. It's situated about two thousand light years away from US.
Speaker 2: Two thousand light years, so relatively close in galactic terms, but still a long way off.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely. And physically it spans roughly zero point two light years across.
Speaker 2: Which sounds small maybe, but.
Speaker 3: That's well, it's about twelve trillion miles give or take, so not insignificant.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, definitely not small, but from.
Speaker 3: Earth its apparent size is quite compact. It shines at about magnitude plus nine.
Speaker 2: I mean you'd need a telescope.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, definitely not naked eye, and it appears about eighteen arc seconds across in the sky, think roughly the size of Jupiter through a decent backyard telescope when it's looking particularly large.
Speaker 2: Got it. Now we have to pause in the name planetary nebula. It's famously confusing, right, because they have absolutely nothing to do with planets.
Speaker 3: Nothing at all. To one of those historical quirks, the name stuck from when astronomers like William Herschel first saw them through their early, less powerful telescopes. These objects look like round, ghostly discs, kind of like the faint appearance of Urinus or Neptune.
Speaker 2: The known planets at the time.
Speaker 3: Exactly. They didn't have the resolution to see the structure, just these fuzzy planet like shapes, So the name stuck planetary nebula.
Speaker 2: But they're actually the uh, spectacular final breaths of a star, aren't they.
Speaker 3: That's right. It happens when a star similar to our Sun, runs out of fuel, expands hugely into a red giant, and then puffs off as outer.
Speaker 2: Layers, creating that glowing shell we see.
Speaker 3: And for us, the real hook and the reason we have this one hundred and thirty year timeline is the human story behind its discovery.
Speaker 2: This is where Williamina Fleming comes in.
Speaker 3: Yes, the discovery back on March twenty six, eighteen ninety one belongs squarely to her. She was a true pioneer of well modern data driven astronomy.
Speaker 2: She was a Scottish American working at the Harvard College Observatory HCO, part of that massive Draper catalog survey. And you really have to picture her work right. She wasn't at a telescope eyepiece.
Speaker 3: No, not usually. She was in a room meticulously painstakingly examining thousands upon thousands of photographic glass plates, huge heavy things.
Speaker 2: Like the world's first large scale scientific data analyst.
Speaker 3: Essentially, you could definitely say that grueling work. Those plates required expert interpretation. Her role and that of the other women known as the Harvard Computers was crucial. They classified stars based on their spectra, the patterns in their light, and spotted anything unusual like a nebula.
Speaker 2: And she was incredibly prolific. The notes mentioned she discovered fifty nine nebulae just during her work on that one survey.
Speaker 3: Fifty nine imagine IC four eighteen was just one entry in a huge body of work. She was instrumental in shifting astronomy from just describing things to systematically classifying them based on physics derived from light.
Speaker 2: Her observation in eighteen ninety one is the absolute starting point for this whole study we're discussing the anchor.
Speaker 3: Without her and the rigorous record keeping at Harvard, we wouldn't have this baseline. We couldn't track this evolution.
Speaker 2: And just a quick historical note, although it was later cataloged as IC four eighteen and sometimes misattributed, the initial credit belongs to Fleming eighteen ninety one. That's our starting gun.
Speaker 3: Absolutely key.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is where it gets really interesting. I think we move from historical discovery to like modern scientific detective work. You've got this object observed in the eighteen nineties. How on earth do researchers today track its physical evolution? How do they bridge one hundred and thirty years of completely different technology.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the challenge, going from someone literally describing what they.
Speaker 2: Saw right to photographic plates to modern digital cameras.
Speaker 3: Like the Hubble Space telescope. It's what we might call forensic astronomy.
Speaker 2: Forensic astronomy.
Speaker 3: I like that, and IC four eighteen had a unique advantage. It has this almost unbroken chain of spectroscopic measurements.
Speaker 2: Spectroscopy breaking down the light.
Speaker 3: Exactly, breaking light into its component wavelengths like a rainbow to figure out temperature, speed, chemical makeup. That technique was just getting started in the eighteen nineties, and ICE four eighteen was an early target.
Speaker 2: So they were pulling data from completely different eras visual observations, glass plates, film, digital CCDs.
Speaker 3: Three distinct technology phases. And the trick is making sure that data from all these sources well speaks the same language can be reliably compared.
Speaker 2: How do you even use data from say, eighteen ninety three? You mentioned William Campbell observed a spectrum, then how is a visual description useful?
Speaker 3: It sounds imprecise, doesn't it, Hugh? But the key is that earliest drimers, even without digital tools, were incredibly meticulous note takers. Doctor Albert Zealstra, one of the researchers on this recent study, pointed out that Campbell's observation was described.
Speaker 2: Well enough, well enough for what though.
Speaker 3: Well enough to establish a baseline. He described the visible emission lines crucially their brightness relative to other known lines like hydrogen. That relative brightness gives you a starting point even if it's not a precise number like we get today.
Speaker 2: So it's the relative information that matters. That's amazing trusting those one hundred and forty year old notes.
Speaker 3: It's a testament to their standards. They knew they were recording something important.
Speaker 2: But the jump to photographic plates must have been a huge challenge correcting for the technology itself.
Speaker 3: That's where the forensic part really kicks in. You have to account for technological bias. An old glass plate doesn't record light linearly. The brightness depends entirely on the chemical emulsion used on that specific plate.
Speaker 2: Ah okay, so different plates from different times might be more sensitive to blue light or less sensitive to.
Speaker 3: Red precisely, and a researcher today needs to know that specific sensitivity profile to figure out the star's actual energy output at different wavelengths back then.
Speaker 2: So they have to mathematically reconstruct what the chemical properties of old photo emulsions.
Speaker 3: Essentially, yes, they model the sensitivity curves of those historical chemicals. They look at old lab notes, log books about atmosphere conditions, even the type of silver halide used. It's about converting a recorded density on the plate back into a physically meaningful footon count.
Speaker 2: That is incredibly detailed work. You're part historian, part chemist, part astrophysicist.
Speaker 3: It takes a team with diverse skills, definitely, but it's crucial to make sure the eighteen ninety three data is genuinely comparable to Hubble data from say twenty eighteen. The whole study hangs on getting that right.
Speaker 2: And they focused on specific emission lines. You said hydrogen and this doubly ionized oxygen OII.
Speaker 3: Yes, those were key, especially the OII lines in the blue green part of the spectrum, and that can expect perfectly to another historical quirk, the nebulium mystery.
Speaker 2: Ah right, the element that never was exactly.
Speaker 3: Back in the late nineteenth early twentieth century, astronomers kept seeing these really bright, distinct emission lines in nebulae spectra. Lines they couldn't match to any element known on.
Speaker 2: Earth, so naturally they assumed.
Speaker 3: It must be a new element. They even gave it a name, nebulium. It was a big puzzle, why couldn't they recreate it in the.
Speaker 2: Lab until physics caught up right.
Speaker 3: It wasn't until the nineteen twenties, with advances in atomic physics that Ira Bowen figured it out. It wasn't a new element at all.
Speaker 2: It was just familiar elements acting weirdly.
Speaker 3: Exactly common stuff like oxygen and nitrogen. But what are the incredibly extreme conditions inside a nebula? Specifically ultraload density and intense radiation. These atoms can emit light in ways through forbidden transitions that are basically impossible to achieve in a dense Earth atmosphere.
Speaker 2: So the light they called nebulium was actually just ionized oxygen behaving strangely because of the nebula's.
Speaker 3: Environment precisely and the way those oxygen atoms emit that specific light. The former nebulium signature turns out to be extremely sensitive to the temperature and density of the nebula gas.
Speaker 2: Oh so tracking those specific lines over one hundred and thirty years lets them track how the physical conditions inside the nebula have changed.
Speaker 3: That's the key. They started out chasing a fictional element and ended up using that very same light signature to measure one of the fastest stellar temperature changes ever recorded.
Speaker 2: Incredible, the science evolving alongside the observation. Okay, let's get to the core discovery, the numbers that really made the astronomical community sit up and take notice. But first, maybe just quickly remind us what's our actually happening when a star like this dies? What are the death throws?
Speaker 3: Right? It's a dramatic, but in a way beautiful process. It starts when a star roughly like our Sun, exhausts the hydrogen fuel in its core. Gravity causes the core to contract and heat up while the outer layers swell enormously. It becomes a red.
Speaker 2: Giant, sometimes swallowing its inner planets potentially yes.
Speaker 3: Then, over a relatively short period aftronomically speaking, it sheds those bloated outer layers into space. That expelled gas and dust forms the expanding glowing shell, the planetary nebula like IC four.
Speaker 2: Eighteen, and what's left behind in the center.
Speaker 3: The incredibly dense hot core of the former star. It collapses down into what we call a white dwarf. Think of it as a stellar ember, compressed to about the size of Earth, but still containing maybe sixty percent of the star's original mass. In IC four eighteen's case, it's about zero point six times the Sun's.
Speaker 2: Mass, just glowing incredibly hot from left over heat exactly.
Speaker 3: And this whole process, this is the fate awaiting our own Sun and the Solar system in about five billion years.
Speaker 2: Right, So IC four eighteen is showing us our future in a.
Speaker 3: Way, in a very real way. Now, normally, the changes in the star's temperature, especially during these later stages, happen over incredibly long time scales millennia, millions of years.
Speaker 2: We usually consider them constant over human history.
Speaker 3: Pretty much, except here. This study gave us the first continuous century plus. Look at this specific whitewarf formation phase and the numbers are startling.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, what did they find?
Speaker 3: They determined that the central star, that white dwarf, has increased its surface temperature by wapping three thousand degrees celsius since Williamina Fleming first recorded it back in eighteen ninety one.
Speaker 2: Three thousand degrees celsius in one hundred and thirty years.
Speaker 3: Yes, that breaks down to a heating rate of roughly one thousand degrees celsius every forty years.
Speaker 2: Wow, So in a single human generation that star gets substantially hotter. You could theoretically measure the change within a working astronomer's career.
Speaker 3: You absolutely could literally watching this dying star heat up dramatically almost in real.
Speaker 2: Time's that puts astronomical change on a human scale like almost nothing else. The source material compared it to our Sun's formation, Right it did.
Speaker 3: Our Sun during its own formation phase when it was settling down, saw a similar temperature increase, maybe a few thousand degrees, but that took something like ten million years.
Speaker 2: Ten million years. IC four eighteen did it in one hundred and thirty.
Speaker 3: It's deep time accelerated. This rapid heating happens as the star sheds its final eiter layers, like throwing off a blanket exposing the incredibly hot contracting core underneath. As that core shrinks under gravity, its surface area gets smaller, but the energy gets concentrated, so the surface temperature just skyrockets.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes sense, rapid heating as the core is revealed. But here comes the paradox. Right, this is what messes with the models.
Speaker 3: This is the kicker. While that heating is incredibly fast in human terms, the study found that this rate, this one thousand degrees every forty years, is actually slower than current theoretical models predict for a star like this.
Speaker 2: Wait, it's heating up super fast, But our best physics says it should be heating up even faster.
Speaker 3: That's the puzzle. If you take the known properties of IC four eighteen it's mass, the negula's expansion rate, and plug them into our standard computer models of stellar evolution, those models predicts an even more rapid temperature increase than what we've observed over these one hundred and thirty years.
Speaker 2: So the star is putting on the brake somehow compared to the theory.
Speaker 3: Or perhaps the theory has the accelerator pushed down too hard. It suggests there's something we don't fully understand. Maybe some process is slowing the final collapse or moderating the thermal output. Could it be some residual, low level nuclear burning deeper inside than we expect, Or maybe the way the very last bits of mass are rejected affects the surface temperature profile differently.
Speaker 2: So the slight discrepancy in speed it points to a gap in our understanding of the physics right at the very end of a star's.
Speaker 3: Life, a potentially significant gap. If we don't white grasp the thermodynamics the heat.
Speaker 2: Flow, then we probably don't fully grasp the chemistry either.
Speaker 3: Right, So let's pivot to that. So what question? Why does a three thousand degree temperature difference or a slight mismatch in heating speed in a nebula two thousand light years away actually matter.
Speaker 2: To us because it connects directly to where the building blocks of life come from, carbon carbon exactly. This finding is crucial because these dying intermediate mass stars are the primary factories for creating and distributing elements heavier than helium back into space, and the analysis confirms IC four eighteen is explicitly a carbon rich nebula, meaning.
Speaker 3: The star itself cooked up a lot of carbon.
Speaker 2: Inside, synthesize vast amounts of it through nuclear fusion, and then through processes we call dredge up, mix that carbon up to its surface layers before puffing them off to form the nebula.
Speaker 3: And that ejected material, that beautiful spirograph shell we see full of carbon.
Speaker 2: Will eventually disperse and mix with the interstellar gas and dust. It becomes the raw material for the next generation of stars, planets, and potentially life.
Speaker 3: Absolutely a huge fraction of the carbon in the universe, the carbon that forms the basis of all organic chemistry, the carbon in you and me, originated in stars that went through exactly this phase.
Speaker 2: So tracing the carbon atoms in my handback many came from a star like IC four eighteen's progenitor.
Speaker 3: That's the cosmic cycle. So when IC four eighteen challenges our models of how these stars evolve and die, it directly challenges our understanding of how the ingredients essential for our existence were made and spread through the galaxy.
Speaker 2: And the problem isn't just the heating speed. Right There was another major conflict with the models related to the stars mass.
Speaker 3: Yes, this might be the most profound part. The study used observations of the Nebula and the white Dwarf to calculate the original mass of the star before it started shedding its.
Speaker 2: Layers, the progenitor mass. What did they find?
Speaker 3: They determined it was about one point four times the mass of our Sun, so a bit heftier than the Sun, but not dramatically So.
Speaker 2: Okay, one point four solar masses an empirical measurement based on the current system.
Speaker 3: Right. Now, here's the clash. Our standard stellar evolution models generally predict that a star needs to be significantly more massive to produce the amount of carbon enrichment we see in IC four eighteen.
Speaker 2: How much more massive, often in the.
Speaker 3: Range of say two point five to three times the mass of the Sun. The models suggested you needed that much more initial gravitational squeeze, that much more fuel to drive the nuclear reactions and the dredge up processes efficiently enough to create such a carbon rich outflow.
Speaker 2: Hold on, So the actual star they measured was substantially smaller than the model said was necessary, yet it somehow produced all that carbon exactly.
Speaker 3: It seems this one point four solar mass star was far more efficient at manufacturing and dejecting carbon than our standard models allowed for.
Speaker 2: How could that happen? Does it change how we think about that dredge up process?
Speaker 3: It certainly suggests we need to revisit it. The third dredge up is this complex process where convection currents deep inside the star bring freshly synthesized elements like carbon up to the surface layers. If a star of only one point four solar masses can do this so effectively, then either the minimum mass required for efficient dredge up is lower than we thought, or the process itself is more efficient in stars of this size than the models currently simulate.
Speaker 2: Either way, it means our fundamental understanding needs adjusting.
Speaker 3: It's a major revision. If the threshold for being a significant carbon source is lower, we'll think about it. There are many more stars born with around one point four solar masses than with two point five or three solar masses.
Speaker 2: So it could dramatically increase the number of stars contributing to the galaxy's carbon budget previsely.
Speaker 3: It potentially means the universe has been seated with the building blocks of life much more widely by a larger population of stars than we previously calculated.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a huge implication stemming from observing one nebula carefully.
Speaker 3: It's a classic case of a single well studied object potentially breaking a widely accepted model, and it really highlights the power of that long term observational.
Speaker 2: Approach tying it all together.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, this mass discrepancy, this carbon puzzle, it only really comes into sharp focus when you combine the modern measurements with that full one hundred and thirty year history. Without tracking its evolution, seeing that rapid but not that rapid heating, confirming its stage of life, we wouldn't have the context to confidently challenge the mass models.
Speaker 2: Which brings us back full circle to the value of those old archives, those dusty glass plates.
Speaker 3: They're not just history, they're irreplaceable scientific data. They capture dynamics over time scales that no single modern mission, no matter how advanced, can replicate. You simply can't tell Hubble to wait one hundred and thirty years.
Speaker 2: We're relying on the meticulous work of astronomers from generations ago to refine twenty first century astrophysics.
Speaker 3: It's a powerful reminder sometimes the most cutting edge science comes from combining the newest tools with the oldest records.
Speaker 2: The source mentioned another great example finding hints of planets around ven Mann and Star Yes.
Speaker 3: In twenty sixteen planetary system or at least debris spotted entirely on a photographic plate taken way back in nineteen seventeen. It's sad in an archive for nearly a.
Speaker 2: Century, just waiting for someone to look at it with modern questions and techniques.
Speaker 3: It proves these archives are potential gold mines when you devalue them, preserve them, digitize them. The one hundred and thirty year story of IC four eighteen is exhibit A for why that's so critical.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's quickly recap the key takeaways from this incredible story of the asparrograph Nebula ic four eighteen. First, it's one of those super rare objects in the sky that actually visibly changes over a human lifetime. It shatters that idea of a static universe definitely.
Speaker 3: Second, by piecing together one hundred and thirty years of data from handwritten notes and glass plates right up to Hubble, science has tracked its central star heating up by a massive three thousand degrees celsius. That's achieving in just over a century what our Sun took maybe ten million years to do during its formation.
Speaker 2: And Third, that heating rate, combined with the star's measured original mass of only one point for solar masses, throws a real wrench into our standard models.
Speaker 3: The star's heating slower than predicted, and it produced way more carbon than models thought possible for a star that.
Speaker 2: Size, suggesting we need to rethink how efficiently stars make carbon and spread it through the galaxy the very stuff we're made of.
Speaker 3: It connects this distant nebula directly to our own origins, forcing a revision of fundamental cosmic chemistry.
Speaker 2: So if one hundred and thirty year old glass plates and careful notes squibbled down in the eighteen nineties are still generating groundbreaking science today, Science that makes us rethink the origins of carbon, the basis of life itself. It really makes you wonder, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: It absolutely does.
Speaker 2: What else might be hiding right now, undiscovered in dusty archives and old notebooks around the world. What breakthroughs are just waiting for the right person to connect those historical dots with modern analysis.
Speaker 3: What revolutionary science are we sitting on, maybe unknowingly right at this very moment. USA