Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, Welcome, welcome, welcome. It is a time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust, and it's being brought to you by our good friends at Wesley and Kitty College, also Tall Grass Motors and Arnold Moore and Knee Camp Funeral Home. Well, we have two beautiful ladies here to celebrate Friday here with us, and I'm all for that. It's the ADUI, a Cherokee cultural community, and that we have Dora Patskowski and also Misty wishall here with us. Good morning, ladies.
Speaker 2: How are we well? Good morning?
Speaker 1: Well, trying to beat the heat today?
Speaker 2: Huh, Yes, it's already started.
Speaker 1: It's already started. So first of all, tell us a little bit about the Cherokee Cultural Community. What's it all about and how did he get started and everything out.
Speaker 3: Well, Dora was key obviously to get that started. By she's just going as she is. That we started in twenty twenty two and we got a location just right east on Durham Road, and it was an older church, but it's been renovated and it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: I've been there.
Speaker 3: Yes, we hold monthly meetings and we do cultural community events and education and just to kind of preserve our Cherokee culture.
Speaker 2: That's the main reason behind it.
Speaker 1: And you do a lot of different things in order to do that and bring things kind of you know, front and centered too, folks, but in a very kind of fun way.
Speaker 2: That's what we try.
Speaker 1: First of all. Adam Bearpah Abraham Barepau, I'm seeing the statement, but I'm not familiar. Can you tell us a little bit about.
Speaker 4: Abrien Abraham had started a program probably about two years ago called Walking in Balance. Oh yeah, and he has a couple of books out. That program is basically a weaving of Cherokee cultural and traditions and weaving those into our modern day lives, just our simple everyday life. There's so many small ways that a person can person can just take a second and think about something, you know a little more traditionally and what the culture of that is was, you know, for our ancestors. And he's just really good at collaborating with the public on teaching them this history and culture.
Speaker 1: Well, it's got to be great. Gets one focus, gets one centered, gets one.
Speaker 2: Pieceful, very calming.
Speaker 1: Yes, we could use a little bit more of that around here. Yeah, My goodness sake sounds like a wonderful opportunity for folks to take a part in. Now you need to be Cherokee to do this.
Speaker 2: No, you open to the public.
Speaker 4: Open to the public people.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, This really sounds like do we need to sign up or just show up?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, It's going to be on July second, correct at six pm at the at the Cultural Community there.
Speaker 2: He's wonderful.
Speaker 3: I got the to see him speak at the the event last week or two weeks ago, I guess at the hard Rock and he is wonderful.
Speaker 2: Because it's a simplistic approach.
Speaker 3: But I think we're just so used to just running and gunning that we overthink so many things.
Speaker 2: But he is just so good to listen to.
Speaker 3: It just reels you back in and it's I think we could all benefit from this, for sure.
Speaker 1: I think we all have a tendency to overthink, and it's usually not towards the positive.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he just wanting an obsense about that and we forget to take in the goodness.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Wow, this ought to be one wonderful speaker, and this ought to be a great lesson for everyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be monthly for the next we have the first till November. N what we're slaughtered for it so the first Wednesday of each month at six pm.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that and death right there at the building on Durham in doing yes and tell you what. On the outside, it looks like it's good size, but once you get inside it's like, how do you make it bigger? But it looks bigger than what it is.
Speaker 2: It great fit and there's so many updates. We've got a pavilion in the back.
Speaker 3: Really yes, we'll be able to host rentals and things. We host rentals now so if there's birthday parties, graduations, it is very nice and.
Speaker 2: Very price considerate.
Speaker 3: Yes, because I know a lot of people are always looking for birthday parties or family reunions, and so we host that. But the pavilion will be also have a playground and barbecue. It's just it'll be really nice and family friendly for the whole community.
Speaker 1: That sounds great. Sounds great now when it comes to a cultural education overall, this is something that I think a lot of people have been kind of hungering for, especially in Cherokee Nation. It's like, I know several people who are members of Cherokee nation, and they have this desire to learn more, get a little bit more in touch with where they came from. You can get so much from a history book, but with talking with other people or being around other people who have similar desires and other folks who have a little bit more knowledge, really turns out to be quite nice.
Speaker 4: Yes, it does, because a lot of the elders they have stories, you know, from their childhood of course.
Speaker 2: And they can share those.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: That to me is just you know, precious.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, and it's only getting further away as the elders you know, are getting older. So it's just they work so hard to root our traditions and culture, and we just want to keep that alive. Now.
Speaker 1: I know that the Chief, Chuck Hoskin Junior, has been working really hard with immersion as far as the language is concerned. Yes, and that itself is an undertaking, Yes, he'll be the first to tell you it's not. But there are other cultural things that go along with everyday living. Now, my wife is Native and she's with the Menominee tribe. Now her big deal is now that our youngest is eighteen, she will get the secret recipe to the bribe brand ooh, and I said there's a secret recipe, yes, okay, And there'll be some other things that get kind of handed down to now that she's eighteen. But I know that each tribe has their own cultural things and the way they pass things down the one thing that universal. It's like you said, the storytelling. I mean, it's as old as time and some of these some of these kids, you know, they benefit from this. I don't think the history books quite cover.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: The big smile or I'm not going to say anything, but I got a big smile. So once again, these are monthly meetings and it's the first Wednesday of each month, correct, And they're at six o'clock.
Speaker 2: Correct, that's the Abraham Bear Hawk.
Speaker 4: And there is dinner provided, so bring the family. You won't have to cook that night, and just you know, relax for a little bit and enjoy and and learn some things.
Speaker 1: So this is going to be great. This is really going to be great. And as far as the rental is concerned for the hall and also maybe the outdoor thing, just give you guys a call there up there.
Speaker 3: We also we have a Facebook page and we love for you guys to follow that. Yes, Dewey eat a Cherokee cultural community, I believe is what the name of that is.
Speaker 5: And we also have monthly potlucks and it's the third Thursday of every month at six pm and so we have so again until November.
Speaker 2: Two nights of the month. You won't have to cook. So come on down. Hey, that's a lot of people.
Speaker 1: You know, there's nothing more fun than a potluck. You get to talk to people, maybe you haven't seen it in a while, or maybe you've never even met, and you're doing it in communion with with with food, friendship and family. That's always a good thing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We always try to bring in a speaker and or do you know there's pottery that was brought in.
Speaker 2: We just try to again, just try to do cultural enrichment.
Speaker 1: You were telling me about making stickball sticks.
Speaker 4: That is going to be the project for July second class. Yes, so please come and learn how to make a stickball stick, make your own and take it home.
Speaker 1: And there's a little story that goes to that too, and you'll learn about that when you make it, like how you play the game. And anyway, this is this is all great. And I remember when you and the chief and the assistant chief came in.
Speaker 6: I'm interrupting because we're going to.
Speaker 4: Be at the Barns. Relays Connection is going to be at the Cultural.
Speaker 2: Center Wonderful fashion shows.
Speaker 6: We buy all ladies to the Cultural the Cultural Community Center for our fashion show for Bars Relays Connection, and you all can have some beautiful wonderful that's.
Speaker 3: Wonderful taking advantage of that's great.
Speaker 2: And like you said, it's open to everyone the great facility. Yes, we've had a wedding reception there, like I said.
Speaker 3: Family reunions, showers, graduation parties.
Speaker 2: It literally is just a turnkey space.
Speaker 4: So we have a full kitchen, there's an ice maker. It's you know, it's ready.
Speaker 1: I saw the kitchen and it was in action. You guys first turned all the lights there, like I said, to it when everybody was there. You had made a speech as well, and there was elbow to elbow, and I'm telling you we could have still fit more in there. It was that big, but it was it was.
Speaker 2: It was comfortable and cozy. It's a great, great space.
Speaker 3: Cherokee Nation is really invested in it to make it nice for our community.
Speaker 1: And I also understand that folks if they have questions pertaining to Cherokee government or some services can actually.
Speaker 4: Maybe get Oh yes, we have career services open there Monday through Friday from eight to five, and then human services is open there Monday, Wednesday and Friday also from eight to five.
Speaker 1: Made you got it all right there in one past. Yeah, it really is well you ladies. I don't know how you sew that up and make it so tidy, but you do. Thank you very much for coming in today, Yes, and en sharing with us. We're going to have a little story on this on the website and we'll let everybody know about the speaker, Abraham Baron Pop and of course about the other monthly meetings and what they can expect from this beautiful, beautiful building and the wonderful people inside it up they're on Durham in doing thank you for