Speaker 1: I s you are listening to The Bin and Skin Show on ninety seven point one The Eagle. This segment right her is brought to you by Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen. How about this, DFW. If you're looking out to go on a food adventure this weekend, you're like, you know what, my life's boring. I don't want to eat dinner at a drive through. I don't want to eat some cold pot pie in the freezer. I don't want my wife to cook anything, and I don't want to cook anything. If you really want to step it up, why don't you go to one of the best restaurants in DFW. And I'm not talking where you got to put on a tuxedo and go. I'm talking about Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen. Dallas Morning News voters or readers voted it the number one pizzeria in DFW, and there's only one location. It's in Plano at Preston and Plano Parkway. They've dominated and mastered five different styles of pizza. They got Dallas, Chicago, Detroit Tavern, and New York style pizza. What I forget Detroit? You got it? Okay, got Detroit In there. They've got five different styles of pizza. They've mastered the mall and that's why Dallas Morning newsreader said they're the best in DFW one location of Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen at Preston and Plain Old Parkway. But right now, it's time for this. She's interrational, quick triggered, nuclear overreactor. He's a masterful storyteller who consistently finds himself drouting in a sea of awkward. It's time for Monday and Ben, all right, it's time for now turning and Ben and Skin. I know we haven't gotten to catch up on this in a while. And Christina, I haven't talked to you about it either. Where are you guys with your video game playing these days?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: I can't stop playing all these FSPs? What's that? I'm sorry? FPS? Is? Oh? First person shooter? Yeah? Man, I like probably, I don't know, bro eighteen hours a day and I.
Speaker 2: Told you to say that I don't know your son?
Speaker 1: Is that? Is that what they're called?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yes, heyst shooter games?
Speaker 1: Okay, I've never referred to them in that way, but I have heard that seeing that in magazines and stuff. Wait are you telling about first person shooters or FPS is I don't. I just really say what game I play. But when I read a magazine, that's what they say. First, I've never eared abbreviated.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I talk about FPSs and magazines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's weird. Do you not read first person shooter magazine? They do not? Are there magazines? Yeah? By the way, islden stream and FPS? I do think. I do think there's a chance for magazines to come back.
Speaker 2: All right, No, I agree with that. Didn't Taylor Swift do something with that not too long ago and it sold out?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Here's why, because it's really hard for people to connect with consumers on social media these days. The algorithms are crazy and a lot of that social media is toxic, and I don't know, I think there's an opportunity. I get these regional marketing magazines in my mailbox. It's like, hey, here's a neighbor here's a magazine for your neighborhood. And I'm like, okay, great, these are all local ads and it's all stories about my neighborhood, and you know what, kind of like it? All right? I think really we need to explore us further.
Speaker 2: That's that's weird because I thought, I have a Life magazine from like nineteen sixty eight, and I think it's badass because it's big, and you're right, this is kind of like the vinyl element. Yes, you can actually put your hands on it and look at it, and it's really cool. But I don't know if i'd want to read about my neighbors really.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I live in a community, so you probably live. You probably don't interact with your neighbors, right, No, we.
Speaker 2: Do have our next door neighbor. Sylvia is a very nice lady.
Speaker 1: So you wouldn't read an article about Sylvia.
Speaker 2: I guess I would if she had some gardening tips.
Speaker 1: There's no way you would read an article about Sylvia.
Speaker 2: Sylvia. You haven't met Sylvia.
Speaker 1: I haven't, but I'm guaranteeing you're not going to read an article about her. I bet you read the first paragraph of that article and then get distracted by a first person shooter game.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes I would, but it is bishop art. So if there's like.
Speaker 1: I can see you there's a cultural magazine down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a new business or something, I would read about that.
Speaker 1: So for me, it's like, I think the things that you're closest to and closest proximity, the people that live there, the dining experiences, all the experiential things make you a community. That's why I like Facebook groups or pages for a small community because it kind of unifies and brings everyone together. But as those get less productive because the algorithms and whatnot, social media is assesspool and I do think it is. There is a nostalgic flavor for it. I think there's the possibility for magazines to be back in play, whether it's super small and it's just local centric, or whether it's something like Life magazine. I just I think there's a possibility that they could bounce back. I think the problem, or let's not say problem, let's say the conundrum is can you get it in big enough circulation because generally what were magazines end up now as they end up in offices, and like, man, I'll go into an office now and there will be d magazines from three years ago, and it's just they're just stack it up, you know. And so it's kind of like what them was talking about the reason that those things newspaper, it's the same thing as a newspaper. The reason it went away is because everyone's reading everything on their phone. If you can figure out a way to get people off their phone and picking up physical media, like you were talking about vinyl. Yeah, and the reason vinyl works is because people feel attached to that product because they really like the band or whatever. If not, they're just gonna stream. And so if you're creating, you know, they used to call these fanzines, like the Beastie Boys had one. It was called Grand Royal, and it was everything in their world right, and it was probably my favorite magazine of all time. Like I loved it. I loved the articles in it. It was great. But they also had like a music career, so they didn't have time to do a magazine full time. But fanzines, you were just mentioning Taylor Swift. Yeah, that's the Taylor Swift army, like Beyonce could do it too, right, And you used to see that a lot more frequently. But those are things that they would sell at bookstores and record stores and those things are those are gone? Yeah, And I don't even like when we were in d magazine, we won I think Best Radio Shows the award we won Best Local Radio Show. Are you know when we got to The Eagle initially and I was like, okay, awesome, where do I go get it? Ye wasn't sure where to go get it? But that's not necessarily what I'm talking about. So if you take like our Ben and Skin Facebook page, we have twenty thousand people that are on our Facebook page that say we like this show. We want to stay connected with this show. Okay, over the years they've said we like this radio show. If I put a post up on the Ben and Skin Facebook page, it might reach ten of them because the algorithms. So there's twenty thousand people there that want to interact with us that can't. And so where I like is okay, I couldn't. I wouldn't be successful if I tried to produce some huge magazine and tried to sell it all over town to the nine million, eight million people here or whatever. But if I send it directly to those twenty thousand people, that would be pretty cool, and it'd be a great way to get our information with those people. Our advertisers could advertise in the magazine. That's essentially what I'm saying. That's the stuff I believe in because social media is broken, and what I'm talking about is more of a direct mail situation where if the you don't start, you don't put put out these magazines and thinking you're going to get rich from making them, but you use it as a way to connect with your people that are into that, you know what I mean. Yeah, Like we get one in Allen, I forget the name of it. When we lived in Plano, we had one called Plano Profile and so yeah, it shows up in your mailbox and can you get to people like and I think the drawing that is what's on your cover. Yeah, and it got to be what's on the cover as it'll go on a pile. One percent and some of them are done by the way, I can't stop saying one and I can't stop saying it is what it is. Two of the things on that list. KT brought up if you know you know, Ben, if you know you know, the cover has to be good, right and the content they're Like, as I'm sitting here advocating for this thing, I realized eighty percent of the ones that are out are complete crap. I very rarely open the ones I get very rarely to me if they feel like they're high quality and like the cover is compelling. I'm like, oh, they spent some money on this sectual looks pretty good. I'm like, I'm into it. So I don't know. Well, let me ask you this because I think it ties into this. How involved are you guys in getting your mail? I mean, I see it on my counter, right, what about you?
Speaker 2: Such a man thing? It's it's definitely because I don't know why. I look forward to getting the mail every day, especially when you're expecting a package, right right, Yeah, I definitely checked the mail first thing. I'll sort it out whatever is under his name, I'll put it up there and it's still there for like a month. But no, I'm very involved in the mail process.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's a funny out of context saying so at my house, I'm the only one that acknowledges that we have a mailbox. Okay, all right, And I think the main reason for that is probably because I pay the bills so and you know a lot of people have auto draft. After whatever, I'm an idiot. I still like to get the bill and go. So what I do is I get the mail and sometimes if I have a long day, like if I have a MAV game, I'll get the mail at eleven o'clock at night. No one. They'll walk by it, they'll drive by it, they'll walk by it. Who could know what's in that thing? I who would ever touch that? I don't know? And so then I get it. And then what I do is I'm usually in a hurry, and so I start doing two stacks like this, trash, Look at trash, Look at trash, look at maybe give to the wife. So if I'm doing that process and I'm going through those things, you know, we get a lot of mailers and you know, advertising things, all that stuff. If I'm looking at it and there's something on it that intrigues me, I'll put it in the fourth stack and go, Okay, maybe I'll look at that. But if not, it just immediately goes to my recycle stack. So there's got to be something fourth stack. Yeah, it's there's got to be a fourth stack. Yeah, if it can move to the fourth stack, I think you're I think you're going somewhere. Yeah. I would do a Grand Royale style magazine for our show quarterly or something like that. That's what they did, Yeah, and you know, do it with our advertisers. And so I just man I'm just so disenchanted with social media, I think is the way to put it. It's just become so toxic and it's just so hard to connect with people. I'm just tired of someone suggesting a new platform I've never heard of. How did that even come up? How do we bring up the magazines? You go by the way, I think magazines are making a comeback. And I was like, that's a great way to show. I'll have to review that tape. So, speaking of video games, I brought up video games. But there's a Las Vegas strip club that is now offering for their patrons to be able to play video games with strippers, and I thought, man, this is the worst idea I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: Well, are the strippers good?
Speaker 1: That's the thing. What you think.
Speaker 2: If they're good at video games, then yeah, that might be fun. But if they're just bad, that's just a waste of time.
Speaker 1: Usually their day job is just getting high or doing coke, so I mean they have time. The point is stripper like, let's look at the stripper. Let's not look at the video screen with her dressed up as you know, some a digital character and getting your team killed because she sucks at video games. Oh yeah, So I thought it was the whole idea of you can sit on a couch next to her and she pretends like she cares about you.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: You know, He's like, oh, man, chick's totally play video games with me.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of guys would love to play video games with just a hot girl.
Speaker 1: So a hot girl in their lap, maybe you care. Look, you care more about just winning and being competitive. I hate playing with people who are terrible. I hate playing with people that are going to wander off into another direction that are going to keep your team from winning. I only want to play to have a chance at winning. Are we moving into an era where the guy goes in the strip club now and he goes, Hey, how much for a lap? Two K? Sit in my lap? Let's play two K? Yeah? Yeah, I mean is that the thing now? I don't get it, Christina, you go to strip clubs? Is that what people are doing now?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. Never step foot in one.
Speaker 1: It's called Crazy Horse three. It's in Las Vegas and they just opened a new interactive VIP room featuring everything from PlayStation and we consoles to a karaoke machine.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, is that why Katie went to Vegas? He knew this was opening, so he had to be there.
Speaker 1: What are people trying to do? I don't think they're understanding the whole stripper industry. Anyways. There you have it, small magazines and strippers playing video games. That all magazines and big boobs. Yep, that was that was trending in Ben all right, coming up next, man, this could have been in trending and Ben too. Everybody knows I'm closely tied into anything in the world of Costner, and we've got a big story about Costner and how Netflix could just bail him out. We'll have that discussion next right here on the benin Skin Show ninety seven point one, The Eagle