Speaker 1: Donald Trump, crashing the economy, recession looming.
Speaker 2: What happens next? Watch what happens will happen right here.
Speaker 1: On fifty five KRC, the Talk station Ato six at fifty five KRC, the Talk Station, A very happy Wednesday to you, Judge Ennenapolotano every Wednesday, bottom of the hour. Gotta wait for that, and I know you will. But in the meantime, I'm so pleased to welcome to the fifty five RC Morning Show, doing an empower You seminar tomorrow night, beginning at seven pm, following Trump on the campaign trail. My guest today Janis Heisel, who will provide a lengthy discussion upon this Tomorrow night. You can show up live or in person empower Youamerica dot org. You need to register whether you're showing up in person or going to be logging in from home former President Donald Trump. She was on the campaign trail for the twenty twenty four general election ballot and related issues before joining the Epoch or Epic Times. We'll learn what she calls it. She worked for more than two decades as a reporter for newspapers here in Ohio and also has authored several books. Welcome to the morning. Welcome to the program, j Before we get to Donald Trump and the campaign trail, is it epic or epoch? I've looked online. Pronunciation can be either way. How do you pronounce it? Good morning, Janis.
Speaker 2: Well, if you are a British issue, could say epoch it sounds a lot more posh. But if you're more American market, you can say epic. All right, wow, that's how I look at it.
Speaker 1: I choose the British pronuncia epoch because I want people to know how to spell it, because if you say epic, I'm afraid they're going to go to the Epic Epic Times dot com, which won't take you to the the Epoch Times dot com, which they should go to because it's a wonderful source of excellent information and reporting. I salute you Janie for working there.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I do a log into your site every single day in preparation for the fifty five KRC Morning Show. So good work you're doing there.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. I'm really glad to hear that.
Speaker 1: It's It's a worthy side of visiting. No so, I consult all types of sites, from the most conservative to the most liberals, kind of give me a broader perspective of what people are talking about and their take on various issues. So turning to the campaign, and apparently you spent a lot of time on the campaign trail, and I get the impression that if you're not hiding out and running a campaign from a basement, it's hard work running for president.
Speaker 2: Oh my lord, I got to tell you, you know, even though I've been a reporter for thirty years, including fifteen at the since that Inquirer before I came here, nothing prepared me for this role I had that I was both blessed and cursed with. It was the most challenging thing I've done in my thirty year career. And in fact, I'd like to read a quick quote from one of my stories, the twenty twenty four Road to the White House has been riddled with more potholes, land mines, and detours than anyone could have imagined. And that is so true. I was there for all of it, almost all of it, and there were a few things I wasn't able to cover because of logistics, like you know, you can't get from here to there in time, or or I had some vacations or whatnot. Very few, but man, it was crazy. I covered sixty Trump events in person and several dozen more like remotely, like using you know, a live stream or whatever. So it was. It was quite an ordeal. I ended up traveling enough miles to go around the world three point two times.
Speaker 1: Oh my word. Well, and I know the burning question of my listener's mind right now. July thirteenth, twenty twenty four, when Donald Trump almost lost his life, were you there?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, yes, I was definitely going to point that out. But yeah, it was. I even wrote a rare first person account of my experiences because I had a little bit of a different experience where I was. I couldn't see Trump where I was. They keep a lot of the print reporters way back behind where the TV cameras are all set up, and so all we could see where I was the crowd and I you know this, these TV the big screens that they have the monitors is all we could see. And there was an immigration start, the one that he credits was saving his life. Yeah, turned to look at it and just that weird experience of being in this information vacuum. At first people thought maybe it was firecrackers. Other people thought maybe it was somebody opening fire in the crowd itself, because you couldn't tell the way the sound echoed exactly what was going on. It was really terrifying, and it was the first time in my career that I was in the middle of an active shooting. And there is nothing that can prepare you for that. It gives me much more. I always respected the good guys in law enforcement and in our military, but my goodness, it gave me new respect for those people who literally put themselves in the line of fire. I later learned I wasn't in the line of fire myself, thank goodness, but just being there was truly terrifying. I was trembling underneath the table, trying to figure out in my mind races you wonder what in the world is going on. People are screaming, you know, there's just no information at all where I was about what was really happening.
Speaker 1: All that had to be just absolutely insane because beyond the cameras, folks with a the clear view of the stage and Donald Trump, they obviously could see exactly what happened. It would be so strange to be in your situation to hear the gunfire and see people's reaction, but not really have a connection with exactly what was going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very frustrating as just even a human being. But then as a reporter, after I came out from underneath the table and thought maybe I should go hide someplace elf, because it was a small wooden like a wooden thin table, people were yelling to me, ma'am, did Trump get shot? And I had to say I didn't know. And so my instincts as a reporter to get the story, we're competing, of course, with your instincts to literally just survive, you know, because you don't know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable. Well, pivoting away from July thirteenth, Yeah, you were at a total of like sixty events. Did you get access to Donald Trump? Did you ever able to engage in a sort of a one on one Q and A with him on any level?
Speaker 2: Well, you know that is of course every reporter wants that a lot of people don't realize, including I didn't realize that there are hundreds of reporters that show up at almost all of these events. It was literally crazy to try to even get any access at all. There were only a few press gaggles like if you're set way back in the middle of some big arena, you're never going to get the chance to, you know, talk to him. And this was my biggest handicap is that I was a political national politics newcomer, even though I've been in the business thirty years. I covered mostly, you know, cops and courts here locally, and you know, this was an entirely different stage. And yeah, of course I go into this and I'm I'm collecting. You know, here's what I would ask him if I get that interview. I finally, finally, towards the very end of the campaign, I kept trying and trying to get even a question in. You're yelling, mister President, and he's not recognizing you. He's recognizing you know, the the quote unquote big media outlets that are you know, we're actually a fairly good size one, but he's you know, the ones that come to mine at Fox News, you know, even CNN, you know, those types of reporters are getting those questions in and he is not recognizing me. And finally, in Swanna Noah, North Carolina, where the hurricane hit, I was able to get a question. I was determined this was right. Prior to the election. I'm going I am not, you know, ending this election season without at least asking him a question. I did ask him, and unlike a lot of reporters, I'm very proud of this. I asked him in a very non judgmental way, none of my opinion, you know in the injected into the question. I simply asked him, you know, mister president, we are here because you said you are you wanted to see this damage, and you're actually, you know, so impressed by the fact that people lost everything and still early voted. What would you like to say to those voters right now? And he gave me a pretty extensive answer, which hello Trump usually does. But I managed to squeeze in a second question and said, so, how does this damage compare to other, you know, disaster areas that you have toured? And he answered that saying that what was weird about this It was very random, unlike you know, you know, it wasn't random like a tornado where sometimes one house will be skipped and then the other house will be destroyed with a wide swat of just devastation as far as you could see. And so he shared that, and that was that was quite an experience to have him, you know, say, and when I say, mister President, yes, you know, and he spoke it talking to me. Wow, you know, but you know that might sound silly to have that as being, you know, something that I worked so hard to get. But it is harder to even get that question asked than most people ever imagine, including me having been in the news business hall these years.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what's going to be neat about your your presentation tomorrow evening, because you get you give people sort of the real life world of a reporter, what you have to go through and uh, sort of the challenges that you face, and clearly you've illustrated one are the challenges your Your competition is all over the place. So now in terms of the number of events you went to, sixty did And this wouldn't be a criticism of Donald Trump, because I have to imagine that, you know, there's only so much you can say on the campaign trail. But he does go off and he doesn't rely as much on a monitor. And I wanted to see if that was in fact true, because I get the impression that Donald Trump's is going to say what's on Donald Trump's mind, he knows where he is on policies and positions. He doesn't need to read it directly off of a teleprompter, although he I guess he relies on it sometimes. But did it become sort of redundant, like okay, here's event number forty seven and I know exactly what he's going to say, or did he kind of change it up regularly.
Speaker 2: He actually did manage to squeeze in a number of new policy positions. So a lot of times he would do that, you know, it would sort of become a theme now he did, you know, kind of have your normal stump speech. Things that he would say pretty much over and over about immigration, and these things always got large applause when he would say no men and women's sports, applause and cheers. You know that that was one of the biggest applause lines every time he said it. But he did, for example, when he was in Las Vegas. I think that venue he chose it to unveil his no tax on tips because of the heavy you know how much Las Vegas relies on tourism and service workers like people who work in restaurants and bars, and you know, the wonderful Broadway shows things like that uh so Broadway type shows in Las Vegas. So he he did taylor a lot of his remarks to the specific place that you know, I noticed that, And yes, he did tend to go off off script quite a bit. I did occasionally get the Trump team to provide me with an advanced copy of his speech, but you know, it was usually just excerpts, and you could never necessarily count on that he would say these exact things because of that tendency of his to go off script to kind of meander. Some people call it, you know, you know, would say that he seemed scatterbrained, but he called is it purposeful? He calls it the weave where he weaves into other segues and then comes back, and he says, it takes skill to come back to where you were.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if you agree with me or not, but I because of my hours, I get up at two thirty in the morning, so quite often I miss the actual speeches, the presidential addresses, you know, the state of the nation type of things, because I go to about at eight. But then I will read the full transcript. And the one thing I noticed about Trump, he comes across much better when you're hearing him live, because you know, being a man of words that I am and my prior background as a lawyer, I you know, I'm very cognizant and aware of grammar and use and structure in sentences, and his doesn't translate on paper as well as it does when he's in person.
Speaker 2: You know, that seems to be something I've actually heard other people comment on as well. People tell me there's nothing like a Trump rally, that it's not the same, you know, just you know, reading an article or getting a little sippet of what he said. I do feel like that based on my you know, observations prior to covering this campaign, just as a citizen noticing the political process, that he did seem to be somewhat more on point with a lot of his messaging. Like I said, they were, the messages a lot of times were targeted to this specific place. It seemed to me more specific. Maybe I just paid more attention, happy to cover it. I got you.
Speaker 1: Well, honestly, I'm probably speaking with someone who's got more experience with live Donald Trump's speeches than virtually anybody in the nation now in terms of media bias. And I know you're going to talk about this more at length again tomorrow beginning at seven pm Empower you America dot org. Being surrounded by all those reporters since you just mentioned them, did you could could you hear their bias? I mean certainly comes across from their reporting. And I'm sure there were a lot of traditionally, you know, the the mainstream media or and or left wing rags out there to covering his speeches. Did did did they make comments or get to give a sense of media bias, you know, during the chatter that you were exposed to.
Speaker 2: I didn't pay a lot of attention to other media because I was so focused on what I was doing. But there were times when I would hear grumbling I would see people. This part really bothered me just because regardless of who is speaking, whether it's a candidate you love or hate, they were not standing up for the national anthem. A lot of them not, you know, not over the pledge of allegiance, that kind of you know, just I felt steamrolling off my head when I would notice some of those people was sitting there, And to me, it's just not respectful, because hello, we all are citizens of this country and we are practicing a profession enshrined in our first amendments and you know, you know, to me, there needs to be respect for that, regardless of how you feel about the candidate who is on that stage.
Speaker 1: Well, it's going to be a wonderful presentation. Empoweroamerica dot orger is where you register. I encourage my listeners to do that. You don't even have to leave your own home, but you certainly can. Three hundred Great Oaks Drive in Cincinnati is where the empower Use Studio is at Scarlett Oaks, where you'll hear Janis Heisel speak about a wild ride covering the Trump twenty twenty four presidential campaign. And you'll also you're going to hear from about the h I've had him on my program before, the positive cure for the drug epidemic these since any Challenge Ranch Jared Mott Singer is going to lead off with a little presentation about that as well. It'll be certainly insightful. They're doing great work there. Jennis, thanks for the time you smell my listeners of me today and thanks for covering the Trump campaign. And we'll be following you on the Epoch or Epic Times. Just find it online. The e E.
Speaker 2: P O. C. H.
Speaker 1: Times dot Com. You'd be glad you did. Bookmarket Janis, thanks again.
Speaker 2: I'm very grateful. Thank you, Brian, have a great day.
Speaker 1: It's a twenty one to fifty five k SEE talk station. Judge In and Apolitano coming up next. Stick around.
Speaker 2: This is fifty five KARC and iHeartRadio station from the very beginning. iHeart as