Speaker 1: Funny Tuesday afternoon with one of the best to ever do it at the University of Utah, longtime NFL quarterback friend of the program. His name is Scott Mitchell. Scott, Happy Tuesday, sir.
Speaker 2: How are you, thanks, Bence. I'm doing great, and I'd love to still talk about the Super Bowl because it was It was very interesting, but really glad to be on a show.
Speaker 1: Appreciate the time as always, So let's get to it. You know, I don't love like the media cycle after a Super Bowl where it's like, what does this mean from a home's legacy?
Speaker 3: He lost a super Bowl?
Speaker 1: But I do want to ask you what sort of questions Jalen Hurts answered with that performance.
Speaker 3: I like him, I always have.
Speaker 1: I think he's a winner, and it felt like they were rushing the football with intent this season because they have a running back that is generationally special and Jalen's also very good with his legs to limit some turnovers and so he took a lot of heat because he has great wide receivers, but the numbers weren't always awesome. So let's start with the Philly side of things in Jalen Hurts and what questions you think he answered with that's football MVP.
Speaker 2: I've always been a big fan of Jalen Hurts. I love how he handled all of the challenges in his career. You think back when he was at Alabama and lost his job after winning a national championship. I mean, he lost his job at halftime of a national championship and he stayed there and he held his head eye And that's not an easy thing to do. I mean, you're an athlete and you've been out there and you lose your jobs. It's about the worst thing that could happen to you. And he handled it so well. A lot of guys that quit, a lot of guys that go to another program. He graduated, he goes to Oklahoma, and then he's drafted as more of a novelty. He's drafted like as the next iteration of Tatsum Hill. He's just like Swiss army knife type of players. So I don't think I don't think the Eagles even said, oh, we really look at this guy as our franchise guy. And he played himself into it because he wasn't very good. He wasn't at throwing the football, I wasn't accurate at all, and kind of the same thing with Tatum Hill, and Tatum Hill tried to be a quarterback and just could never do it. He was just He's an awesome player. I'd love to have Taysom Hill on my team because there's so much he can do with him, but not as my quarterback. And Jalen Hurts has really done a number on his and really grown as a player throwing the football. You know he can run, you know that he's competitive, you know he's a winner, you know he's tough, But you got to throw the football in the NFL consistently if you're gonna get to that next level. And he somehow did it. And I don't know, because I'd like to sit down with him and find out how he did it, because so many guys don't and can't. And I mean Tim Tebow is another guy that was kind of this dual threat type of player and winner and all that stuff. But Tim Tebow just couldn't throw the football consistent enough to win it. And so when Kansas City, he just said in the Super Bowl, you're gonna have to beat this Jalen Hurts because Saint Quon Barkley isn't and we're gonna stop him. And I love the aggressiveness. I love to play to win mindset. I love that. Uh you know, he answered, he answered big, answered big running the football? He answered big, throwing it. He had an interception and he just moved on. You know, it didn't it didn't impact his play. He was definitely ready for the moment and and really elevated himself to to a different, a different level. And I just I love the guys that kind of overcome things, and I love the guys that are forgotten. I love the guys that you know, this is all about Patrick Mahomes in the in the Kansas City and their legacy and is now Patrick Mahomes kind of in that goat with Tom Brady conversation and Dalin Hurt says, you know, f you guys, I'm gonna go win the Super Bowl. And I just love that.
Speaker 1: So at what point, Scott, did you believe this thing was done? Because it felt like Kansas City got knocked to the canvas and never fully regained their footing, and when they did, they were wobbled. And I just, you know, I'm watching with my entire family and they're asking me like, is this over? You know, after Cooper did gets to pick six and then later on AJ Brown with a touchdown pass. It's twenty four to zero, and I'm thinking, you know, twenty eight three Pats Falcons come back. I'm like, well, it's possible with fifteen hunderd center and Andy's gonna do something at halftime because they always do.
Speaker 3: And that that momentum never came.
Speaker 1: Man, it really just didn't outside of small incremental spurts here or there. At what point, Scott, from your vantage point, were you watching the game and you went, all right, that's it, it's done.
Speaker 2: I knew it was gonna be tough for Kansas City all game long. And that defense is stifling and they're they're amazing upfront. I mean everyone talks about upfront, and yes, the games are one up front on both sides of the ball, and Philadelphia, you know, won the football game on both. But that secondary is very athletic. They play tight coverage. The linebackers are athletic, they flow, you know, and what they do is they just don't give you anything extra and they make you work so hard that you have to you have to be very perfe I said, what you throw and you have to be very patient and methodical and and uh and and Kansas City just never was that that team. And uh, you know, I think a lot of people don't appreciate how well that the Eagles tackle, and and I just I've been on teams with defenses like this, where like you just it is so hard to get anything on that defense. And I saw that right from the beginning of the game. I said, it is going to be a long game. And Patrick Mahomes has started slow pretty much in all of the Super Bowls he's been and Tom Brady even talked about starting slow. But where they didn't hurt themselves, they didn't turn the ball over while they were trying to figure things out. And as soon as as soon as Patrick Mahomes is throwing interceptions, uh, you could see the game was over. And and and then and then of course to me, that dagger was the was the pick six. It just it really took all the air of it because what happens is everyone sees different from Patrick Mahomes in big games than interceptions, and it's like, oh, he's throwing interceptions today. This is bad, right, So it just puts a really really bad thought and feeling and emotion in your head if you're a Kansas City fan. But before he's throwing interceptions, you could see he was never really comfortable in the pocket, and he's just because he didn't have to. He was like he was almost kidding to the end of his drop and then he was just scrambling and he was just he was just belling on it. And there were times where he could have bought enough time to get people open if he would move around in the pocket, but he was not good at feeling the pocket and staying in the pocket and throwing the second the one interception where the guy kind of got bull rushed into him, if he feels that a little bit and he slides just to his right and then he makes the throw, it's a big play. But he just didn't have a sensor, a feel for the pocket, when to stay in, when to leave, and when to move around and just and it was it was kind of shocking to me, Spence, because because he's so good and he was really like very average and so much that he was doing in that game.
Speaker 1: Shocking is the right adjective, Scott, because I'm with you, I'm sitting there watching just shaking my head. What did so Prior to Sunday, Patrick Mahomes was eight to zero against Vic Fangio, which is pretty wild because Vic Fangio has made a living confusing opposing quarterbacks. And it looked like they were getting a tremendous amount of pressure with only four which opens up so many things that you can do defensively. But from your vantage points schematically on defense, what did Philly do that seem to have Mahomes on his heels all game long?
Speaker 2: Well, it was really the pressure and it was kind of how the pressure was coming is they were they were really kind of squeezing the pocket, you know, with a lot of like bul rushing and and he was flushing early and when you and they played a lot of tight man coverage and they played a lot of that coverage in all of their games when and so Patrick usually is really decisive about when he runs, and he was he was really trying to stay in there because they did two deep safeties and man under a lot of the time, which is which is a very heavy pass type of defense. Like you're really trying to defend the pass when you do that, but the one vulnerable is the quarterback. Is no one's guarding the quarterback, and the safeties are deep, so you can run for days. And you just never saw that. So but when you play that tighte man coverage, it takes a little bit more time for guys to get open and he and he just wasn't willing to hang in the pocket long enough to let those routes develop. And and and the other part of it is you get man coverage spence, you pick a guy and you live with him, like because it's one on one. Everyone's got one on one coverage, So you just find the best, the guy you had the most confidence in, the guy you you know know can beat his his matchup. And and you just never saw that from Patrick and those because he could have gotten some of those throws off, he could have stayed in the pocket a little longer. And and then a lot of the routes were kind of vertical up the field. And and and you thah did this last season. Every every answer they had for man coverage was running down the field and you got to come with motion and bring people across the field, and uh, you know, it's it's a it's easier, which they did against Buffalo, and they didn't really do it against Philadelphia. And so it just it just was kind of Philadelphia, just the way they matched him up. And Patrick didn't really answer it with kind of staying in the pocket picking a guy, and he was just he just flushed way too quick. And it was because of that pressure and kind of that perceived pressure. You know, you started getting sacked and all of a sudden you're like, Okay, where's it coming from now? And you can't think that way as a quarterback. You just got to have a really bad memory of the past and just every plays a new play and you can't assume that the last play is going to be the next one, and so you gotta And it just felt like Patrick Mahomes, I mean, I want to say, the second series of the game, he was very uncomfortable in the pocket.
Speaker 3: So Scott, it's funny.
Speaker 1: I was just chuckling when I was doing a little show prep today, you know, cause a lot of people talk about Okay, well Lamar is twenty eight years old and Josh Allen twenty eight years old, Patrick Mahomes twenty nine years old. You know, those three dudes are often the guys you talk about is still in their twenties with a number of years of good football left to be played. Jalen Is twenty six, se Kwan's twenty eight, AJ Brown twenty seven, DeVante Smith twenty six. So like, we probably should have been talking a little bit more about Philly because they are good with most of their key players either in the beginning or in the middle of their prime. What are you willing to say about what you think they can be moving forward if they have you know, the right coaches, coaches in place, they have to replace their offensive coordinator, and of course you have to assume full health.
Speaker 3: But this roster is really good now.
Speaker 1: As a result of winning a Super Bowl, you lose coaches as a reference, and players want to get paid. But if we operate off the assumption that more or less this is the group that they run it back with next year, what are you willing to say about the potential of them maybe continuing to make deep playoff runs and maybe win multiple Super Bowls.
Speaker 2: They certainly went out because a year ago they were not very good defensively, and they got some guys through the draft, and they did a few they got the right pieces in place, and it changed everything for the team. And then they're healthy and they stay healthy and they have a great mindset where they really have bought into It's it's kind of a team concept. You know, Jalen Hurts is talking about all the other people, and everyone's talking about everyone else, and and so they they they don't have that typical what's in it for me? I want to get paid. I want to be the you know, they bought into the way we want a super Bowl was as a team. And you're a quarterback and you have a defense like that, it changes every how you play. You don't necessarily take shots that you don't have to. You can be more patient in what you do, and you have a great running back and you have this balance in in what you're doing. It's a lot like how Terry Bradshaw won four super Bowls with a great defense and they had a great running back. And I mean, it feels a very similar to that type of team. I'll just tell you I wouldn't I wouldn't bet against this Eagles team, uh in the future, because they know they've they've now won it, and they and they understand how to win it. And you have a quarterback that's really kind of risen to the the challenge of things, and you just have to. You just have to have that quarterback play at some point in a big game, in a big moment, and you were getting that. Now it'll it'll be hard, you know, because people try to figure out what they're doing. It's hard to repeat because everyone's now going to be gunning for you. I mean, people weren't looking at the They're looking at the Detroit Lions. They weren't looking at at Philadelphia, you know, this whole season, So that that'll shift around. And and you know, if if I was to say me personally today, who do I think the favorite to win next year Super Bowl? I would say it's the Philadelphia Eagles. And I hate the Eagles just so you know, I do not like that place. I cannot stand Philadelphia. I can't stand their fans. I've had really good friends who, you know, Doug Peterson who was the coach, and I was so happy for Doug. Uh, you know, I like the season those guys, and of course you know he was. But I just say Philadelphia, but they're probably the best team in the NFL right now going into next season.
Speaker 1: It could not happen to a worse fan base. You know, you want to be happy for fans to see their team win a Super Bowl. But I'm not happy for Philly fans.
Speaker 3: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I've been to Philly a number of different times, and whether it's their football fans, they're basketball fans, they're just miserable people. What is it, Scott about sports fans that motivate people to burn a city after you win.
Speaker 3: I don't fully understand it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a different breed of people, you know, I had. I mean, it's not the city of brotherly love. And of course when they're throwing snowballs and doing Santa Claus back in the day, you know that there's problems. I'll just tell I had family that went to games there. I played a playoff game there and I played about like Patrick Mahomes played in the Super Bowl in that playoff game, and my family had to leave, like they literally were afraid for their life in that game. It was so so bad. And that was back in Veterans Stadium when they actually had a jail and a judge that they would they literally put people in jail in the stadium. I mean, that's that's nowhere else in the United States, and it is. It's horrible. It's terrible and I I'm not a Philly.
Speaker 3: Fan, not now, I'm with you, Okay.
Speaker 1: On the other side, I think it would be a fool's errand to believe that this Kansas City Chiefs thing is done. Andy Reid coming back to coach, Patrick Mahomes coming back to play quarterback, and they do have some questions answer with their roster. It did feel a little bit like the Tampa loss. They just couldn't protect Mahomes. So they're gonna have to solidify that offensive line. I imagine they do, and maybe they come into camp with a healthy group of receivers and they don't have to wait for it. What are you expecting as a potential bounce back story from the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that to me is like one of those fun things I like to watch, know because Patrick Mahomes said, I need to be better and and teams are playing me different and I got to figure out how to how to play against the way I'm being defended now and it's different than it used to be. And and you know, I look at Tom Brady where he he just he kind of went all in at the in the second half of his career, uh, with his his diet, his regimen, because so many people were just saying that the Patriot dynasty's over, you know, like at for Super Bowls, and they just kept winning and winning and winning, And a lot of it was because they they took kind of the middle of their run approach to we've got to we have to be a whole lot better, and we have to find a new edge and a new motivation. And and so I'm fascinated to see if Patrick Mahomes can do it. And I hope he can, because man, wouldn't it be fun to see Patrick mahomes game elevated, right, You're like, he's been really good. Can he take it to another level? And as a sportsman, you want to see that happens. I'm I'm curious to see if he'll be motivated by this and what he'll actually do, what he'll put his body through in the future, you know, And I hope so. And I think the same thing for Andy Reid. You know, maybe it's like, look there's still gas in the tank. I still want to do this. We've got to be better. I've got to be better. And a lot of times these losses can really propel teams and players to a new level and a different level, and we're the beneficial fisiaries of seeing greatness when that happens.
Speaker 1: I wanted to kick the tires with you and your thoughts as a former NFL quarterback that has made his way in the world of media, on your take with Tom Brady calling games now? Andrew Marshawn from The Athletic wrote a really interesting piece kind of chronicling in the negotiations between five and the Murdoch family and Brady because look for Greg Olsen. To me, he's my favorite. Troy Aikman does a great job, and you know, they all work their tails off and they're all prepped for it and all that. But I was disappointed not to see Gray continue on as that lead analyst. But look, Tom Brady, the brand of Tom Brady is the brand of Tom Brady. And one hundred and thirty seven point seven million people watch the Super Bowl and the majority of them probably knew who Tom Brady was, even if they're not big football fans, whereas a lot of people probably don't know who Greg Olsen is, even though I think he's awesome at his job. I thought it started out really rough this year, and honestly, I don't think he's great at it. Maybe he evolves and becomes better, but it seems like he's just And I'm not hating on him. They paid him three hundred and seventy five milk, go get your bag, But is he relying too much on his brand and not necessarily doing the.
Speaker 3: Work to be a great broadcaster? Want to get your take on that.
Speaker 2: So is someone who's gotten into this and one of the hardest things that I've ever done, and do his broadcast football games on the radio. You have a really small window to say something that's descriptive, intelligent and insightful, and you can't get wordy, and you can't pontificate for a long period of time like you have to, and and and you want to be entertaining, right, You want to you want to engage people, and you know, I always want to tell people what's happening and do it in a way that people can understand. But also, uh, you know, people want to listen to it. And I agree with you, you know, because I was really excited about Tom Brady broadcasting because no one has his experience and I just want to hear how he views the game and how he sees things. And that's as a as a former player, that's what I really want to hear, because nobody has his experience in in the in the NFL. Ever and and uh, you know, and and and I can kind of feel as pain little bit about him trying to really give people really insightful stuff, and he's still just a little too wordy with it, a little bit too you know, almost dry, almost forced, you know, And and it's almost like he's, you know, not super comfortable or relaxed with it. Will he get really good at it? You know? I don't know if he does or he doesn't. And and I don't, I don't know. I know he's the kind of guy that will you know, he's just he's just he's just he'll figure it out eventually. But yeah, he's not. He's not my favorite. I'm still I'm still interested in what he has to say because I I don't like the announcers that sound so amazing and then they tell you nothing, because it just drives me. Bina's like, are you watching this game like you're not really telling us? Because I know what's going on, and you're not telling us what's going on, and so I'm more of I want someone who's gonna gonna give me what's actually going on in the game. Do it concise, be entertaining, not too worthy. And you know every day when I come on your show, I prep all day for what I'm going to say. By the way, Spence, so I don't you know, I don't disappoint.
Speaker 1: You, but oh it comes across, Scott, it comes across the airways anyways.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm still yeah, I don't know, and I'm agree with you. I love Greg Olds. I thought he was awesome. I think he's really good.
Speaker 3: Last thing, Scott.
Speaker 1: Then I'll set you loose because I reference the overnight splits And I'm fascinated by ratings because in this day and age of the business of sports, live TV rights are paying the bills, and live TV rights are making a lot of people a lot of money. And one hundred and thirty seven point seven mil at its peak in the second quarter was the number. And you combine that with about fourteen to fifteen MILI and streaming about two MILI with the Spanish broadcast, we're talking about north of one hundred and forty five million people watching a sporting event. How would you articulate the way football has captured the market share in the United States and and ultimately do you feel like it's going to continue to go in the right direction for the NFL.
Speaker 2: Well, it's to me, it's all in how the distribution happens, you know, through streaming and where where all that goes. I'll tell you one of the things I think that makes football interesting is gambling. And I say that and I think a lot of people tune in it. They made it so much easier to bet on on the sport and that that you get a lot of interest from that. And I don't see that going away anytime soon. And you look at you look at shows on television, and football is the highest rated show on anything ever. And it's it's compelling, there's a there's a really I think the NFL has done a tremendous job of creating interest in you know, here you have Kansas City that's not a big market team, but they've garnered a lot of interest you know, nationally and maybe internationally. Uh And and they're not one of the bigger markets. So the NFL has done a really good job of being very inclusive in all its teams, the whole idea of parody. Uh, you know how it's all structured that your team always has a shot. You know, next year could be our year kind of thing, so you can keep getting fans engaged. People will tune in in large markets even when the Giants and the Cowboys suck, you know. So the NFL has got a they they've got a great product, and they've got a great distribution network. You know, they're you know, the streaming thing will just continue to grow and grow and and then and then there's there's a lot of wide interest in the sport outside of just watching the sport. You know, it's gambling. So yeah, I think the NFL is in a good, very good spot.
Speaker 3: Scott, thank you, my friend.
Speaker 1: Appreciate the time on a Tuesday, Have a great week, and we'll get you on soon.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks Ben.
Speaker 1: Scott mitched one of the best to ever do it at the University of Utah, good enough to join us on a pretty consistent basis here on the program.
Speaker 3: Appreciate his time. All right, guys, listen up.
Speaker 1: Valentine's Day Friday, right, Valentine's Day on Friday, So got a special offer, don't blow it for your significant other. Ogden Clinic Hadley Dermatology is offering my listeners twenty percent off of botox. It could be for you guys, get it. What do they call it, the crows something on your eyes? I don't know, but women love it and they're always looking for deals on Bowtox. So if you've heard your wife or your girlfriend talk about you know, I'd love to get a little botox, but it's pretty expensive. Take advantage of this deal today and do it right now by getting twenty percent off Bowtox for your significant other for Valentine's Day coming up on Friday. Call this number right now at eight oh one sixty five seven five sixty sixty four. That's eight oh one sixty five seven five six sixty four eight oh one sixty five seven five sixty sixty four. You can also visit Hadleydermatology dot com. But wait, there's more. The weather will turn and it will be warm. You don't want to be the guy at the pool that takes his shirt off and you look like a gorilla. Laser treatments, twenty five percent off back chest, whatever else your business, not mine, but twenty five percent off laser treatments as well at eight O one sixty five seven five sixty sixty four eight one sixty five seven five sixty six four. But wait, there's more. Are you a golfer like me? Are you a hiker like me? When the weather is warm? Are you outside all the time? Well, that's great because Utah is like second to none anywhere with outdoor activities. But did you know that we are the leading state in the country per capita with skin cancer diagnosis? Okay, so my buddy Jason and his brother Michael Jason and Michael Hadley Ogden Clinic Hadley Dermatology.
Speaker 3: Every year they remind me we got to get you in. Okay.
Speaker 1: Are you golfing you know, a couple times a week? Are you hiking a couple times a week? Yes, you're diligent with sunscreen. Sometimes that's not enough in the debt of summer when it is the dog days and it's super super hot. When's the last time you had a check up? If you don't know, that's a problem. If you fit the description that I just gave you. Now, the good news is doctor Michael Hadley dropped by here a couple of weeks ago and drop the offer of a free skin consultation, so take advantage of it before the sun gets warm, because early detection can literally save your life. A lot of these things are treatable if you get them quick, and if you don't, they kind of pile up and then you have to go in for extensive treatment and it could be catastrophic. So we're talking twenty percent off botox for Valentine's Day, we're talking twenty five percent off laser treatments prior to pool season, and we're talking about a free skin consultation and a great discount on their skin care products as far as the oxide zinc oxide stuff they have that you can apply as sunscreen. So all three of those things you take advantage of. Whichever ones you want. All you have to do is call them at eight O one x five seven five six six four. That's eight oh one six five seven five six six four eight oh one six five seven five six six four my good friends at Ogden Clinic Hadley Dermatology, also online at Hadleydermatology dot com