Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App k f I and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: That improved a.
Speaker 4: Good call yours, Amy Kay.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock straight up Thursday morning.
Speaker 5: This is your wake up call.
Speaker 1: For May first, May Day, May Day.
Speaker 5: First of May. I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: Thanks for getting your day started with us. Got a busy one as always. I know I say that a lot, but I mean it. Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. Police have broken up a group of pro Palestinian protesters at UCLA and have set up barriers around Royce Hall that are going to be in place today for anticipated May Day demonstrations. About one hundred and fifty to two hundred demonstrators gathered on campus last night, three of them and ended up getting arrested, one for slapping a security guard. A judge has ordered a twenty two year old from Malibu to stand trial for murder and vehicular manslaughter in the deaths of four Pepperdine University students. Following hearings, the judge set a July first arraignment. Prosecutor say, Fraser Boehm was speeding over one hundred miles an hour at times when he crashed into three parked cars, which then hit and killed the four women women. He was in a forty five mile per hour zone. President Trump has acknowledged his tariffs could result in fewer and costlier products in the US, but he also told his cabinet yesterday that China will suffer more in a trade war and said the US didn't really need imports from the world's dominant manufacturer. ABC's Karen Travers is at the White House with President Trump's response to the economy shrinking for the first quarter of twenty twenty five. We'll be checking in with Karen in just a couple of minutes. Let's go fishing. ABC's Jim Ryan joins us at five point twenty to tell us about how bad guys are trying to get your money by using celebrities or what you think are celebrities.
Speaker 5: And KASA, or.
Speaker 1: Court Appointed Special Advocates, is throwing a huge party on Friday night to raise money for their efforts to help some of the most vulnerable kids in southern California.
Speaker 5: It's a fun time, it's a good cause.
Speaker 1: We tried to hook up with the representative from KASA yesterday, had some technical difficulties, so we're hoping that we get to talk to her today and that.
Speaker 5: Is happening at about five point fifty.
Speaker 1: Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Rallies are expected across LA to mark International Workers Day, also known as May Day. Thousands of union members, immigrant rights supporters, and others are expected to flood the streets of downtown LA and Boil Heights. The Service Employees International Union says in March this morning will be a show of solidarity with immigrant communities. While condemning the Trump administrations ongoing attacks on immigrants and working people. They're also demanding living wages, safer workplaces, and a future with dignity, as they say for all workers. Arraignment for a youth soccer coach accused of murdering a thirteen year old boy from Sun Valley's been postponed again. Forty three year old Mario Garcia Aquino is now doing court to enter a plea on June eighteenth. His arraignment had also been postponed back on April eighth, a man like that is.
Speaker 6: A danger to the community.
Speaker 7: He should be locked up forever, in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Luis Carreo is the attorney for the victim's family. Oscar Hernandez was found dead in a ditch along a roadway in Oxnard, five days after he left home on March twenty eighth to go visit the coach in the Lancaster Palmdale area. Rick Caruso, who ran for mayor of LA's getting a say on how the city's budget deficit is being dealt with. He says the key is to cut out waste and stop wasting money on things that don't make people's lives better. Caruso spoke with kfi's Tim Conway Junior and took a job at the current administration.
Speaker 8: It's really not rocket science. It takes some political courage and backbond. But if you don't have the political courage backloine, you shouldn't be in office anyway.
Speaker 1: Mayor Bass released her proposed budget last week. It includes laying off over sixteen hundred employees and slashing several city programs. Let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, the US got a not great economic report yesterday showing the economy shrunk zero point three percent for the first quarter of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: What was President Trump's response to that?
Speaker 9: He said, it's the Biden economy. Excuse me, Biden economy. He said it was the Biden stock market. It's not his.
Speaker 3: He urged the.
Speaker 9: Americans to be patients and said that there would be short term pain, essentially from his policies. We've heard the President say that there would be short term disturbances and transition costs from the trade and terrorft policies he's putting in effect. But yesterday he acknowledged for the first time that prices could go up and some Americans might have to go with less because of this standoff right now with China one hundred and forty five percent tariffs on Chinese goods, they're still in effect. There's no sign of any negotiations with China. And the President said yesterday, maybe the children will have two dollars instead of thirty dollars. Maybe the two dollars will cost a couple of bucks more than they normally would.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Karen, you've been following the White House for quite a while. All presidents blame their predecessor, but in your experience, like, how long can they get away with doing that before people say now it's yours?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, and it's an important question because I think people are already starting to blame this president. We saw that in polls over the weekend that came out ahead of the one hundred daymark. Our poll found that the president had a thirty nine percent approval rating, fifty five percent disapproval. Seventy two percent say they're concerned and they feel that his policies will cause a recession. This is significant, you know, this is not like outside forces are giving people concern and fears about what could come next. They're saying it's because of what the president is trying to do with trade and tariffs. They're directly tying it to his policies, so he can say it's the Biden economy and it's because of what Biden had done. But Americans in poll after poll over the last week, are saying it's because of what he is trying to put in place. And I think it's also important to note that before this report, there had been thirty three straight months of growth. Now, whether or not Americans still feel that way in a couple of months, you have to see and the President has said be patient, things will turn around. But you know, the only thing you're hearing from economists right now is that given where this stands with China, is there's no positive outlook that this is. Companies right now are scrambling to get ahead of tariffs. They are concerned about what the Christmas supply could look like because of the timeline of importing goods. This is the time when companies start doing that and the prices of things are going to be significantly higher.
Speaker 5: Right and then, and you mentioned the prices are going up.
Speaker 1: Are we seeing those price increases now or are they?
Speaker 5: Are they about to hit?
Speaker 9: It's about to hit. I mean the other thing too, is that like there's essentially little trade being done right now with China because companies have stopped importing. The Treasury Secretary has acknowledged this. There's like almost a trade embargo because companies have to figure out another way to bring in goods. Of all of a sudden, you are importing product X, and now there's one hundred and forty five percent additional cost to that. You're going to figure out a different way if you can some small businesses can't. That's how they rely on China for their goods, and this is going to be very challenged for those small businesses.
Speaker 1: Okay, and before we let you go any other revelations from the cabinet meeting yesterday, you.
Speaker 9: Know, I think the big thing was the President talking about the economy. I also asked him about whether he expected that President Bukel about Salvador would if he were to request the return of Kilmar Abragio Garcia, would he expect Bukela to go along with that? And the President again deferred to lawyers on that, but said that they have a good relationship. So to stay tuned on that. Wee anticipating some news potentially on that great we.
Speaker 5: Will be paying attention.
Speaker 1: Karen Travers, ABC's White House correspondent, Thanks so much. Let's get back now to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Ukraine and the US have signed in agreement allowing America to access the European nation's rare earth minerals. Treasury Secretary Scott Beiscent announced the deal yesterday, saying it establishes an economic partnership.
Speaker 7: I am glad to announce the signing of today's historic economic Partnership agreement between the United States and Ukraine, establishing the United States Ukraine Reconstruction Investment Fund.
Speaker 1: The Trump administration says the deal also addresses the one hundred and seventy five billion dollars in aid the US has given Ukraine since the start of its war with Russia. Bessince says the deal is a message to Russia that the White House is committed to a peace process centered on a free and prosperous Ukraine. The British militaries joined the US in launching air strikes targeting Houthi rebels in Yemen. It's the first time the UK has fired on the Iran backed group during the current US campaign. The Columbia University student, ordered released from federal immigration custody, says he never advocated for violence. Motion Madawi was arrested by Department of Homeland Security agents last month during his naturalization interview. A judge in Vermont ordered him freed.
Speaker 3: Yes, for anybody who's doubting justice, this is a life of hope and faith in.
Speaker 10: The justice system in America.
Speaker 5: Federal officials say.
Speaker 1: Mdowi has admitted in the past to his involvement in anti Semitic acts of violence. President Trump says, historically, black colleges and universities don't have to worry about federal spending cuts.
Speaker 11: During a town hall event with News Nation, Trump said he took care of the black colleges and HBCUs and that he got them more money than they ever dreamt possible.
Speaker 6: They were going out of business.
Speaker 12: They came to me about fifty people that headed up, and they came to me the first year, and I took care of them.
Speaker 11: Last week, Trump signed an executive order that will ensure HBCUs get the maximum funding they're entitled to. Tammy Trio KFI News.
Speaker 1: A man in North Carolina has been charged with driving a city dump truck into utility crew working on a power line. The State Highway Patrol says the drivers facing four counts of misdemeanor death by motor vehicle. He allegedly ran stop sign last month when he plowed into the workers. VISA wants to give artificial intelligence agents your credit card.
Speaker 10: The agent can fined and buy close groceries, airplane tickets, and other things on your behalf. All you'd have to do is set a budget and some preferences, and the AI assistant can make the purchases. Visa announced its new AI credit card plan yesterday after months of working behind the scenes with leading AI chatbot developers. Pilot projects are underway, but it could take some time before average credit card users can ask an AI assistant to order their weekly grocery lists. Deborah Mark KFI News.
Speaker 4: The Joint Resolution fails.
Speaker 1: Passage I, measuring the Senate to undo President Trump's tariffs, has failed. The vote yesterday ended in a forty nine forty nine tie, with three Republicans joining Democrats in support of the resolution. Vice President Vance broke the tie.
Speaker 12: The Ya's are forty nine, the nays are forty nine. The Senate being evil divided, the Vice President votes in the affirmative.
Speaker 5: The motion to table is agreed to.
Speaker 1: The measure needed a simple majority to pass. Former Vice President Harris has criticized President Trump in her first major speech since leaving the White House.
Speaker 13: The American people deserve leaders who make their lives better and make our country stronger. But sadly, we have seen quite the opposite.
Speaker 1: Harris spoke in San Francisco yesterday. To emerge America, it recruits the Democratic women to run for office. She says Trump's tariffs aren't clearly inviting a recession. Thousands of union members, immigrant rights supporters and others are expected to take to the streets of downtown LA and Boyle Heights today to mark International Workers' Day, also known as May Day. The first rally starts at nine at Olympic Boulevard and Figaroa in downtown. Customs and Border Patrol agents have found more than seventeen pounds of liquid methamphetamine hidden in dog shampoo bottles at Lax. In a press release, CBP officials say the shipment, on its way to Australia, was intercepted back on April first. It had an estimated street value of one point eight million dollars. A man's been arrested at the O Tai Mesa port of entry for allegedly trying to smuggle parakeets stuffed inside his boots and inside the seat of his car. Border agents say three of the parakeet parakeets were found wrapped in pantyhose tucked into his boots on Tuesday, and then others could be heard crying inside his jeep the next day, so they went and dug them out. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, the bad guys strike again, and this time they're appealing to our love of celebrity.
Speaker 8: Yeah, celebrities and specifically sports fans. Okay, So let's say you're a Steph Curry fan and you're constantly posting online at Facebook and X and Instagram your love of you know, of of Steph Curry and and all the rest, and so suddenly Steph Curry reaches out to you on Facebook. You get a message, Hey, thanks for supporting us. We're really doing our best here. We love your your fandom. By the way, do you do you have a Steph Curry Fan Club membership card? And you say, I don't, Steph, but it's great to meet you. Okay, it's only one thousand dollars, and with that you'll get you know, uh signing opportunities, you'll get autographed material, you get you know, one on one and then even even a cruise with me Steph Curry. Well it's not Steph Curry, but people are falling for it, unfortunately, and it seems that the bigger a team gets and the farther they get into the playoffs. For example, I'm seeing it happen right now in Oklahoma City. Right The Oklahoma City Thunder are in Round two of the NBA playoffs now, and some of the the fans of that team are getting spooked by like the likes of Chet Holmgren, who's reaching out to them and urging them to join his fan club and get his membership card and pay him for stuff. So it's just the latest way, the latest scam that people are using to spoof others and to trick fans or normal people.
Speaker 1: Well, the good news in all of this, Jim, is that nobody can be or is probably going to be scammed by someone appearing to be a Laker fan because the Lakers are out of the playoffs.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 8: I bet there are some diehard fans of course, yes, yeah, who you know, they're super fans, and they might still get targeted. And in fact, kind of it's it probably wouldn't be a Steph Curry type it. It might be a lower level player like a Chet holmgrum of the Oklahoma City Thunder, because that's almost believable. I think even the die ist of die hard fans of Steph Curry would be shocked to get a text message from from Steph Curry or an Instagram message, but somebody like Holgrum Holmgren rather, you know, they may they might believe that it's like it's not super duper star, he's a big star on the on the thunder, but you know, and that may be one tip off.
Speaker 5: But just kind of watch out tips off.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: And by the way, even even that the blue check mark on X doesn't mean much anymore because you can buy that, right, it doesn't really mean that you're verified anymore, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Jim, you you mentioned like text messages and stuff, and then you mentioned X.
Speaker 5: So are is it.
Speaker 1: All like just words or are people are they using AI images of these people?
Speaker 8: Yeah, they're using pictures wrote about celebrities, you know, being spoofed in the past, that AI generated images of celebrities, and they're being posted to somebody's Facebook pages, and you know, these really unlikely relationships are built between celebrities and their fans, and then eventually at some point the celebrity says, you know, I'm really strapped for cash right now, can you help me out? I mean we're friends now, so but obviously you've never spoken to that person you've never dealt with them one on ones, You've never seen them, You've only seen images on Facebook. And unfortunately, I mean now with AI you can generate videos, and so I could you can generate a video. Here's Brad Pitt talking directly to me, and you see his mouth moving in his eyes and his face. But you know that's not Brad Pitt. That's that's that's AI Brad Pitt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a lot of times you can tell, although, like you said that the.
Speaker 5: AI is getting so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but a lot of times you can tell because like you see their mouths moving, but it doesn't quite match up, and that kind of thing.
Speaker 8: It's tough to spot. And I've seen, you know, an online ad the Sylvester Stallone sitting there talking about male enhancement drugs. I guess it is then, which isn't far.
Speaker 1: Fast because they I mean, like, there are celebrities who actually endorse those products.
Speaker 8: Right, but this one and if you look at it carefully, you can tell that's not really him talking that it is AI generated And you know, why would he be doing that. It doesn't do him any good, It doesn't do him any any favors. And so yeah, it's just got to be very careful, and it's almost impossible anymore to believe what you see. I think.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Jim, one last question. Do law enforcement people ever catch these guys or are they just out there?
Speaker 8: They're pretty much out there. You know, they're staying one step ahead, I suppose. And the FBI has been working on this for a long time. They put out warnings all the time that they just warning on spoofing about scams, and you know, it's just they managed to stay step one step ahead of law.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC's Jim Ryan, let the buyer beware exactly. I think we say that when we talk a lot right now.
Speaker 5: All right, thanks Jim, see Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LAPD chief Jim McDonald has pushed back on LA Mayor Bass's proposal to cut more than four hundred workers.
Speaker 14: McDonald says the civilian workers play critical roles in investigations and bringing justice to victims of crime. He says the proposed cuts would put the public at risk.
Speaker 8: These professionals undergo years of specialized training and their expertise is irreplaceable.
Speaker 14: McDonald says further proposed cuts to police overtime would hurt patrols at places like Venice Beach and MacArthur Park, and some facilities may have to close. The City's estimated one billion dollar budget shortfall prompted the mayor's proposal. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: President Trump has reportedly been looking at putting a new immigration detention center at Travis Air Force Base in northern California. Congressman John Gyrimendy says he's against that idea.
Speaker 4: No way know how.
Speaker 15: Should the ICE folks be able to build a detention center at Travis, it will seriously disrupt operation and become a major problem for our national security.
Speaker 1: Garamendy says an ICE facility would inhibit the military's ability to be ready for action. I says only confirmed that it is looking at all options in California to meet detention needs. A man has been arrested on suspicion of animal cruelty after police found five dead kittens in a trash bag outside of home in Cathedral City. Orgy Ramirez was allegedly seen on security video tossing the trash bag over a Homespence on Friday. The police recalled when the bag was found Tuesday afternoon. Police a Ramirez admitted to putting live kittens in the bag before throwing it in the yard. I have an idea or two of what we could do with that guy, I bet you do. Students at UCLA who were arrested during on campus protests are finally getting their phones back. Authorities have had them since the forty students were arrested during pro Palestinian protests last spring. Acting Chief Scott Schleffer. Scheffler tells the La Times that the phones are no longer evidence because the La City Attorney has decided not to press charges against most of the students arrested.
Speaker 13: Pray Pray, and.
Speaker 1: A rally has been held in West Hollillywood and support of a Venezuelan makeup artist deported to a maximum security prison in El Salvador. Community activists and local leaders in West Hollywood say Andre Romero had no criminal history and was escaping persecution when he came to the US and asked for asylum.
Speaker 14: Believing in the promise of safety and dignity. Instead, he was met with detention to humanization and ultimately.
Speaker 1: Deportation supporters are urging federal officials to step in and bring Romero back to the US. Internet topics are looking more like drunken conversations in a bar.
Speaker 12: A big debate online right now is whether one hundred men could win a battle against a single Silverback gorilla. The question was first posed online years ago, but about a week ago some random person posted the gorilla would lose, but everyone would have to be dedicated. From there, it was people saying the gorilla would go out to the club after smoking a hundred dudes, to some saying I'm with the gorilla. Wildlife experts say one hundred men could beat a silverback guerrilla while suffering massive damage, including deaths, but most silverbacks would much rather take a nap, eat some food, and play with the kids. Michael Krozer kf I News.
Speaker 5: I think the gorilla would win.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow, the Dodgers take on the Braves in Atlanta. The first pitch goes out at four fifteen, and even though they're not here in LA to play, you can listen to all Dodger games on AM five seventy LA Sports, and you can stream all the Dodger games all season long and HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy. LA Sports zench handcrafted sushi made fresh daily at roups near the deli counter.
Speaker 5: And it's good stuff.
Speaker 4: I eat that.
Speaker 2: It's really good.
Speaker 6: It is really good.
Speaker 5: Go Dodgers okay.
Speaker 1: A three day effort to clear homeless camps in LA continues in Guardina today. LA County Sheriff Robert Luna says homeless people have been offered housing services and mental and physical healthcare for about a year. Those who've refused are now being moved out. Homeless camps will also be cleared in other parts of the county. Police are looking for a student who brought a gun to school in Marina del Rey. The gun, hidden in a backpack, discharged in a classroom at the west Side Global Awareness Magnet yesterday. When the backpack was dropped on the ground, the bullet apparently ricocheted around the classroom and then fell to the ground.
Speaker 5: No one was hurt. The Lakers season is over.
Speaker 1: LA lost their series against Minnesota four games to one following last night's Game five one oh three ninety six loss. The timber Wolves now move on to the second round of the NBA playoffs to play the winner of the Rockets Warriors series.
Speaker 5: At six oh.
Speaker 1: Five, it is handle on the News, Kamala Harris rails on President Trump and her first big speech since leaving the White House.
Speaker 14: T Lively.
Speaker 5: On jetmen do when I do know when I'm coming back.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so doing doing a big trip, having done one in quite a while, and you know, we were talking to Rich DeMuro and we have talked to Joe lars Guard about how people are traveling and getting their summer plans and stuff.
Speaker 5: So I'm getting my spring plans in place.
Speaker 1: So we're heading to Paris, and I've never been to Paris before. And I got to tell you just a couple of things. One it takes a lot more planning than I thought. The other the other big trips that I've gone on, I've gone on some fabulous trips, but other people planned them. And this time, my best friend Amy and I are planning it ourselves. So that's taken a lot. But we've got everything kind of booked except then we are going.
Speaker 5: To the louver, because you have to go to the louver, right.
Speaker 1: Actually, I don't even care so much about what's inside the louver. It's more that I want to see that glass pyramid thing on the outside, because it's so spectacular, even though people say it's an eyes so on.
Speaker 5: Delfund constantly shot, but I think it looks really cool.
Speaker 1: And Amy wants to see the Mona Lisa and the sculpture of David, and so we were talking and I said, Amy, I think I've seen the Mona Lisa. I And so then I was talking to somebody else about it, and I go, I think it was at the Getty and I think I saw it. I just googled it. It's never been at the Getty. I created the memory. I don't know why, but I made up. I made up fake, a fake memory.
Speaker 5: You would have been so happy if you'd never questioned it.
Speaker 2: You did your whole life. You would have thought you'd seen the Mona Lisa.
Speaker 1: I know, you know what I think it was. It was, uh, it was I think it was van Go. I think it was the Irises. I did see a van Go at the Getty and maybe that was it, and there was a big crowd around it. And maybe that's why I thought, because a lot of people say when you go to the Mona Lise, it's it's a little tiny picture, and there's huge crowds around it all the time, so even getting a good look at it, and you can't just walk up to it and stare at it like you can at the Norton Simon Museum or something like that. Along, So we're and we might not be able to go anyway because we're seeing that they're sold out for the days that we wanted to go. But you know whatever, Okay, so packing, I'm done. I have a few tweaking things to do. My suitcase is full, I got it shut, and now I'm thinking I need to edit it because I want to leave room because what if I want to buy something.
Speaker 5: While I'm there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so and again the packing is taking a lot longer. But you know it's it's fine. I've got I've got another twenty four hours to go. And then here's here's my other thing. We're taking a night flight. We leave at eight o'clock, we get in like two forty five, which is six forty five in the morning. So I'm like, great, that's prime sleeping time. I don't sleep on planes.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You can't force it. You really can't force it. It's like I fall asleep. If I fall asleep if I don't, I'm going to be tired.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and my friend we'll probably be asleep before takeoff.
Speaker 1: Totally snoozes. She sleeps through landing. She almost missed getting off the plane in South Africa.
Speaker 5: She can drive in you guys land, No.
Speaker 1: We're taking trains day but uh, yeah, so I'm worried about that. So seriously, if you have any ideas, and I'm not taking ambient because will you said that you went.
Speaker 2: With friends, said too, we went to South America actually, and I had some extra ambient and I thought I was being helpful and giving them out to my friends, and yeah, one of them went sleepwalking, ended up in the cruise quarters.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh. Apparently there's some alcohol involved too.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, so I'm not doing ambient and I'm wondering does melatonin work.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: But if you have an idea for me, and you want to send an email, like, go to the wake Up Call page on our website and you can find my email or DM me on Instagram or send me a message on Facebook if you have any great ideas for how I might be able to sleep on this plane. Again, it's an overnight flight and I know, I'm just going to sit there with my eyes open all night long.
Speaker 2: Do you have one of those goof pillows that goes around your neck?
Speaker 5: I do not have a goofy pillow.
Speaker 2: I see those everywhere, those weird little horseshoe pillows.
Speaker 5: You'll see.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes. But I'm serious. If you have a great idea on like a relaxation technique or if melatonin works or something like that for how you can sleep on planes again, you can message me at Amy K.
Speaker 5: King. I would love to hear or send me an email or something.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Courtney.
Speaker 16: Actually I'm going to send you my kids because they will make you so exhausted you'll sleep anywhere.
Speaker 5: And can I leave them at the airport before I buy the plane? There you go.
Speaker 1: That's that would be good.
Speaker 16: They'll be a little disappointed, but that will be good. But Paris, you're gonna have a great time verside. Just blew my mind. And of course the bread everywhere is so awesome.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 5: That's what my brother said.
Speaker 1: He goes when you get there, go to a bread store and get a bag it and just carry it around and eat it.
Speaker 16: And I was like, okay, we cherie. And but it's funny. I grew up in New York and Paris was the only place I was ever pickpocketed.
Speaker 1: So watch yeah, we're planning for that too. We have our little cross body bags and yeah, okay, all enjoy your time, Thank you, Courtney. But right now, let's get in your business and talk Tesla. We're getting rumbling that Tesla's board wants to boot elon Musk.
Speaker 16: But now they're coming out and they're denying it that they were looking to get rid of him. Chair Robin Denholm called the claims false and said that the Carmaker's directors are highly confident in Musk's ability to continue executing on its growth plans.
Speaker 5: Well, the Wall Street Journal they came out.
Speaker 16: They reported earlier that Tesla's board members had contacted executive search firms to look for a successor to Musk earlier this year. But as we all know, Musk said last week that he's going to pull back significantly from his government work, which we.
Speaker 1: Knew because it was always supposed to be for like three months and then he said I'm going back after that.
Speaker 16: So yeah, but of course they are earnings kind of kind of pushed the matter along a little bit further. Exactly been doing as well when it comes to sales.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Uber, I love this idea has launched a simpler version of its apps.
Speaker 5: Why do they do that?
Speaker 16: Yes, my parents are very excited about this. So they're doing this for seniors. So it's going to be a streamline version. It has larger texts, easier to find, save destinations. It also has fewer home screen buttons than the regular Uber app. That's my dad's biggest complaint about using any of those apps, all these buttons. It's first going to be piloted in Orlando and Phoenix. That's going to start today, but more cities are following in the coming weeks, and no word yet on when we're going to see it in Los Angeles. But by the way, Lift is also preparing to launch a similar feature earlier this year.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 1: I think that's I think that's good because I mean I'm not super tech savvy and sometimes you're like, oh wait, did I did I order the car?
Speaker 6: Wait?
Speaker 5: Did I finish it? Wait? What's this what's that option? Do I have to do that one? Yeah? I mean just it's too many choices. I feel all of that.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, lots of big earnings reports are coming out today.
Speaker 5: What are we looking for?
Speaker 16: Yeah, so we had a lot coming out that's really impacting trading today. First, first of all, shares of Facebook parent Meta jumping in early training. They reported quarterly revenue that topped Wall Street expectations. They said that they're responding to the trade war by rethinking their suppliers. Facebook is higher, Microsoft too. They reported stronger than expected quarterly sales and profit growth. However, McDonald says diners are facing uncertainty. Sales at the fast food giant fell one percent in the first quarter that missed Wall Street expectations, and General Motors says tariffs will cost the company as much as five billion dollars this year. But we are seeing stocks higher, to have futures up two hundred and fifty points this morning, so we're looking at a rally ahead.
Speaker 5: And we had a good day yesterday too.
Speaker 16: Yeah, seven days in a row, so this would be number eight of gains. A good way to kick off the new trading month.
Speaker 5: All right, that's.
Speaker 1: Getting in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donald. Oh, let's do it one more time tomorrow, shall we?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 16: And Oh looking forward to your vacation too, where you're gonna have a great time.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have such short timers disease, But let's do We'll stick with it and we'll talk to you tomorrow, see you later. Okay, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A driver who allegedly killed four college students in a crash near Pepperdine University has been ordered to stand trial. Kfi's Mark Mayfield said Fraser Boem is charged with murder and vehicular manslaughter for the crash in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 6: Boem was accused of speeding along Pacific Coast Nghway in Malibu and crashing into three parked vehicles. We were sorority sisters between the ashes of twenty and twenty one. We're walking along the highway, were hit and killed.
Speaker 1: A prosecutor says a device in Boem's BMW showed the vehicle accelerated from ninety three to one hundred four miles per hour just two and a half seconds before the first of three impacts were detected airport officials in San Diego state travelers should arrive early, as the TSA says real ID requirement is about to kick in. The id ID or another acceptable form of identification will be needed to board a domestic flight starting next week. Remember that starts on May seventh. Officials say more than forty thousand passengers fly out of the San Diego Airport each day, and with the beginning of real ID enforcement, they are anticipating delays. So can you imagine what it's going to be like at lax I think we have a few more than forty thousand. The LAPD will be out in full force this weekend ahead of Sinco Demayo on Monday. Police will have DUI checkpoints and saturation patrols from tonight through Monday. Officers are looking for drunk and drugged and distracted drivers. A first time DUI could cost more than thirteen thousand dollars and a suspended license. The FBI is looking for four men they say stole more than two hundred thousand dollars in EBT funds from three hundred victims around southern California. The FBI says they did it by installing skimming devices on gas station pumps, ATMs and point of sale terminals. Visas rolled out a new artificial intelligent agent that can find and buy clothes, groceries, airplane tickets, and other items on your behalf. All it needs is your credit card information. Visa says, once fully up and running, you can set a budget and preferences and the AI assistant will just make those purchases for you.
Speaker 5: We're just a few.
Speaker 1: Minutes away from handle on the news this morning. You were going to want to stick around for that starts just after six o'clock. But right now, let's say good morning to kasa's doctor Charity Chandler Cole.
Speaker 5: Good morning, doctor Chandler Cole, Good.
Speaker 3: Morning Amy, thank you for having me on this morning.
Speaker 5: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: We wanted to talk to you about this because this one caught my eye because my parents have been COSA donors for years, and when my dad passed away, our family requested in lieu of flowers that dad's friends donate to CASA, and that's when I kind of really found out what it was.
Speaker 5: It means.
Speaker 1: Court A pointed, special advocates and what they do is so important for children. So let's start with the big party Friday night that you're holding to raise money for this organization cancer.
Speaker 3: Forgive me, I'm a little under the weather, so if I sound a little weird, that's why. But we are having our thirteenth Reimagine Gala this Friday at the Billboard Hotel to raise much needed funding to support the children in the foster care and juvenile justice systems. It's our largest fundraiser that we count on independent on every year to continue our advocacy efforts here in Los Angeles County, Okay.
Speaker 5: And are their tickets still available?
Speaker 3: There are tickets still available, so you can go to KASA la dot org. You know, we are tightening the ship. It's our event is tomorrow, but we still have seats available, so folks want to join us. It's a night to remember with entertainment, fun or derves, drinks, great networking opportunities, and it's when the who in the advocacy space and the social justice space comes out to have a good time and support of our community. So we definitely would love to see more people there and we do not offer tickets at the door, but if you purchase your tickets today, we can make sure you have a seat. It's a glamorous night, dress up formal attire and have a good time in support of children.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now, doctor Chandler Cole, I want to talk about KASA. Dig into that a little bit and why the money are raising at the gallop on Friday night and through the year is so so important. Tell us about the Court appointed Special Advocates and what they specifically do for children and what children they serve.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so, KASA court Appointed Special Advocates. We essentially organize the community to show up in life and in court for children impacted by the child welfare and juvenile justice systems. KASA stands through side hundreds of children in the foster care and juvenile justice systems who have already faced unimaginable hardships, have been separated from their families and their communities, and our advocates are often the only consistent adult support in their lives. In addition, we fill an overwhelming gap and relieve a huge burden on our court partner such as DCSs, our children's attorneys. Our system is just over innundated with children, most of which don't need to be in the system, have many complex needs, and we come in and really show up to support them and make sure that they're not just in a system, not being supported, not being heard, not having good voice, but that they're supported while in the system, and that when they leave, they don't fall, you know, to the dire outcomes that await them of being incarcerated, experiencing poverty, homelessness, and helplessness. We really show up for youth, and we serve children from zero all the way up to twenty one years old to make sure that they were not their voice, for weir a vehicle for their voice. I personally experienced the foster care system, and I remember firsthand how no one saw me. No one asked me what I needed or you know, how I was feeling, or what type of support I needed. All the adults in my life had all the answers for what should happen to me, and as a result, I experienced the extraordinary consequences of just being a number in the system or a name on a piece of paper. So we show up, and we show out by providing one on one, specialized tailor support to our young people so they feel seen, they feel hurt, they feel valued, and most importantly, they leave the system as successful agents of society.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 1: And you know you mentioned that they go to court, and I mean, can you can you imagine having to do that as a child. I mean I can't even I went in to do a traffic ticket and I was completely overwhelmed by the court system. And that's not even That is not anything dealing with some of the really horrific situations that some of these kids are facing.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and they don't know what's going on. They don't know the lingo or you know, how to articulate what they feel, what they want, and what they need. And I can imagine it because I've been there, and we're literally told not to say anything, and we have to rely one hundred percent on the attorney assigned to us or the person that's supposed to speak up for us folks. So we've never probably met before that moment. And there's hard working people in the system, from social workers to attorneys, even the judges, but our system is so overwhelmed with young people that there is not enough time or effort to really put into doing a full comprehensive understanding of what that child's life was like and what they need. We're always focused on the moment. So that's where Kasta comes in. We get to go in really dig into their history, understand the complexities of why they're there, and write trauma inform and culturally responsive court reports that our judges rely on to make very serious decisions about their child's life.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 1: So the cause of volunteers are not lawyers. They're literally they are advocates for the children to go and make sure that they've got the kids backs exactly.
Speaker 3: They're average people like you, like me. They could be teachers, they could be gardeners, they could be anyone in the world. And we train folks. We train folks that have zero experience on the system about who our kids are, how to show up and advocate for them see the zero experience. But you do need to have a heart, you do need to be willing to show up could advocate for our youth. And we are actively recruiting Costs of volunteers. So you're interested in being a volunteer, please go to our website at costla dot org and we would love to sign you up.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we always need an adult in the room to help kids who you know, don't have somebody. It's such important work, and I can see you know why my parents got so into it, Doctor Charity Chandler Cole, thank you so much for your information and we're so happy to hear your success story too that you know, that's like talking to somebody who's been through it and has come out the other side. Always is so important. Tickets to the gala are still available, and again, what are the website address for tickets to the gala? And also if you want information on becoming a volunteer.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you so much, Amy, it's a CASS c A.
Speaker 1: S A l A dot org. Thank you so much, doctor Charity Chandler Cole, goodlue with the gala.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and thank you to your parents for being supporters.
Speaker 5: All right, take care.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOSDHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom.
Speaker 5: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen to today's show or any day show anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.