Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty. You're listening to Dean Sharp the House Whisperer on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Hey follow us on social media. We only do the good kind, uplifting, informative, inspiring social media never pulls you down. Instagram, TikTok, Facebook X, all the usual suspects. We're all over the place there Home with Dean, same handle for them all, Just Home with Dean. You'll find us there and follow us and share us with your friends, of course. And also I should mention if your home is in need of some personal house Whisperer attention, personal meaning like me and the tea here showing up on your doorstep ready to figure out your specific design problems, you can book an in home design console with us. You just go to house Whisperer dot Design, house Whisperer dot Design. All right, it is the second hour of our fine Sunday morning program here and it is an all calls Sunday, nothing but your calls. You get to set the agenda as to what the show is about today. And I'm going to give the number out one more time eight three three two ask Dean A three three the numeral two ask Dean eight three three two pep ask Dean. I only do that because it makes Tina laugh. I have no idea why it makes her laugh. Give us a call. Producer Richie is on the other end of the phone. He'll pick up. He'll tell you everything you need to know. He'll pop you into the queue. You can listen to the show while you wait. And you know, I pick calls pretty randomly here, so even if you call right now, you know you might be the next call.
Speaker 2: You never know.
Speaker 1: So here's a random selection. Let's talk to Mark A Mark welcome home. Hi, Hey there you are.
Speaker 2: Sorry. I thought I almost I thought I hung up on you when I selected the number.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, no, after all of that, all right, my friend, how you doing?
Speaker 2: How can I help you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well. I had a question. You recommend in the past rock wool and insulation for interior soundproofing purposes, and I like the idea. I was just wondering about how that might affect Wi Fi signals within the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good question. Yes, I do recommend rock wool insulation on interior walls, and which is not a code requirement. It's just a recommendation. For me because it just helps control sound. It's not for heating and insulating purposes. It's just makes a home so much more sound attenable and quiet. But yeah, it's a really good question. Yes, it does have a dampening effect on Wi Fi because rock wool insulation is pretty significant little barrier. It doesn't shut it down by any means. It will though on a larger home it's going to dampen the signs. And so if you're going to pony up for like during a remodel, for interior wall insulation, then you know, spend a couple one hundred dollars more and also pony up for a Wi Fi mesh net system for your home, and that just solves that problem. In other words, instead of having one centrally located Wi Fi router sending out a Wi Fi signal through your home that may or may not make it to every corner of your home, or instead of doing it old school with a repeater, okay, having another Wi Fi repeater at some point, the new and I shouldn't say new, I mean they've been around for quite a while now. But the best way to do Wi Fi coverage for a home is to use a mesh net system, and I would say for the whole property. I mean I have a small home. I only need one router in my home to cover, you know, all the rooms in my home, even with rockwool insulation in the walls, which we have in all of our interior walls. However, I'm sitting on a third of an acre of property here and we've got out buildings. I have the studio, I've got the garden room, We've got a guesthouse in the back, and that's way too far for that one router to go. Instead of using repeaters to push out, we have a I think a four a four node Wi Fi mesh system and basically what it means is anywhere on the property you get a strong signal, no matter where you're at, and it doesn't it's not a slowed down signal. That's why the old repeaters. Every time you send us a Wi Fi signal through a repeater, you know, it slows down a little bit along the way. But with a mesh node set that puts like basically a Wi Fi net over the entire area. There are actually nodes and I don't want to get into all the technical stuff, but there nodes of the Wi Fi system. They're not repeaters, they're simply all sharing that signal with each other. And no matter where you move on the property, one of the nodes is close enough to pick the signal and it doesn't slow down service at all. So you're absolutely right. Enough rock well in a big enough house will damper a Wi Fi signal internally. But if you're going to go to that expense to do that for your home, which I think is fantastic, then go ahead and add a mesh system and you won't have to worry about the Wi.
Speaker 3: Fi sounds great. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: You are so welcome, my friend.
Speaker 1: I love calls. I just love calls. You know why we take calls. We take calls because subjects get raised that are universal to so many people. Right, So Mark calls and he's got this really intelligent question about something he's heard me say, interior wall insulation for sound purposes. He's got a really intelligent how's that going to affect Wi Fi? There's thousands of people who are listening who didn't realize that they have that same question rolling around the back of their head. And now boom, there it is, right, And I could have done. I could have done two insulation shows and failed to mention that little aspect. So that's why we love doing it this way. And we're going to take more of your calls. Right after.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: It is and all calls Sunday morning. That means we are doing nothing but taking your calls. You set the agenda for the show. Construction design, DIY lofty, architectural artistic questions or how do we fix the leaky toilet and everything in between, anything you want to talk about regarding your home. Does that guy really have that kind of breadth of answers?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Let's find out. We just give it a try. The number to reach me eight three to three two. Ask Dean eight three to three the numeral two. Ask Dean. All right, I am excited. Let's go back to the phones, shall we. Let's talk to Susan. Hey, Susan, welcome home.
Speaker 5: I Dean, I'm so excited to talk to you. So first of all, thank you to Richie, thank you to t and Dean. I've been with you since your very first show. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I apologize for that.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry anyway, love hearing you. So I want to know. My question is it's two parts your favorite if you had to choose, like your favorite bright, I want to paint my whole home just bright white. It's just simple and easy. I don't want to have to choose colors the brightest, a real bright white. I have almost no direct sunlight in my entire home. I looked at Chantilly lace. It's beautiful color. I don't know if that's really bright bright white though. And then of course Benjamin Moore, of course, and then what types I think you said aura for bathrooms, but I'd like to know kitchens, cabinets, doors, bathroom like, what are the different types of chines that would be your favorite. I'm not married to anything flat. I just would like to know what you would do. And of course new flooring will come later, so I'm not really concerned with flooring.
Speaker 1: I got you the okay, Well, okay, so I'm going to disappoint you on one side, which is that I am terrible at remembering the names of paint colors, really, and one of the reasons is they change them all the time. But there's a couple. There's a couple that I that we always default to, and then Tina always nods at me that, yes, you got that one right.
Speaker 2: Hunt.
Speaker 1: So bright white. Yeah, I'm going to give you the principle though, behind it, so that you can choose for yourself. Okay, The principle behind it is this absolute pure white. Okay, pure white, absolute pure white. We don't want to do in the house. That's the brightest of all the whites, pure absolute bright white. And the reason is because in an interior, pure white can start going cold. In other words, it can have a blue tint to it. It's like pure light coming out of a light bulb. We don't want anything above like three thousand kelvin as far as color temperature is concerned, which, by the way, five thousand kelvin is sunlight. And you would think, oh, sunlight's beautiful and warm, and to say no, inside a house, a five thousand degree kelvin color temperature light bulb is blue, and people are like, oh, it's cold, it's icy blue blue. So what we want is a nice bright light, a lot of lumins and brightness coming off the light. I know I'm talking about light bulb, but I think you see the analogy here, and we want it below three thousand. In other words, we threw some amber in there, just a little warmth, a little warm tone into the light. That's the light that everybody loves inside their house. The same is true. Now, paint doesn't emit color, but it reflects color, okay, and so the same is true of paint. We don't want bright, bright, pure white. That's easy to come by. You just go to the paint store and you just buy the base color without any tinting in it whatsoever, and you get pure white, too blue, too blue, too cold. What we want is something that has just a hint a hint of warmth in it, meaning something in the brown, tan and red additive being added to it, not blues and greens, but on the warm side of the scale. And that would, in Benjamin More terms, that would be decorators white Tina's telling me it, I got it right.
Speaker 2: And or Swiss.
Speaker 1: Little variation between the two, but those would be the two. But in principle, now that's Benjamin Moore. Anybody using whatever paint, just know that you just want to go slightly off and in no way, shape or form is tan it's not tan. It doesn't cream up the wall or anything. When you walk into a room, you're like, oh, oh, that's a beautiful bright white. But what you don't realize it has a little bit of warmth reflected in it. So that's the color. As far as the Thechines go flat on the ceiling, pure flat, just straight out flat on a ceiling. Why because we never have to, you know, get a ceiling dirty. The ceilings don't have to put up with abuse, so we don't have to wash it. The problem with flat is that it is hard to wash. You know, it's a paint in the butt to wash flat paint, watch dirt off flat paint. So safe on the ceiling, perfectly flat. Plus I want a man I don't want sheen in the house. In general, I want things not reflective because the more reflective a surface is, the shinier surface is, the more it shows every possible imperfection in the surface. So flat is just pure color, no shine on the walls. I want them as flat as possible. We'll usually go mate on the walls. Matt is flat, but it's not all the way flat. And and Benjamin Moore is one of the reasons we love them Aura, Aura throughout the house. If you just want the best period Aura everywhere, matte finish on the walls, flat on the ceiling, or a bath and spa in the bathrooms because of its amazing matte finish and moisture protection at the same time. And then when it comes to trims, casings and bass boards, then I just take one tiny step up and go like eggs shell or satin, depending on the brand of paint, eggshell or satin comes first or after. You know, some manufacturers reverse the two in order. It's just basically the next sheene step up, depending on what manufacturer you're using, And that is my preferential formula for doing a house. Now, of course there's always exceptions, but for what you're talking about, I think that's what's going to make you happy. That little bit of sheene on the baseboards and the casings, doorcasings, those are the areas that take the most abuse, and therefore it just allows you to keep them that much cleaner.
Speaker 5: Well, one least clarification Aura definitely bathroom and spa. But did you didn't you also say aura throughout the house? If I could do that.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Aura is Benjamin Moore's top of the line premiere paint, and so Aura is a paint that can be used throughout the house. And then Aura bath Ins SPA is a specific application of Aura four bathrooms. So there you go, Susan, thank you for the question. I'm right, I'm late for a break, so I've got to go otherwise they're going to penalize me and that's not good. Thank you so much for listening, and thank you for your question, and good luck. And I think you're taking the right approach for a dark house because white recycles light inside a room. It's not just the color, it's the fact that it reflects it all around.
Speaker 2: And it's a good thing. All right, y'all.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: You are Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisperer. Welcome to the program. We are doing an all calls Sunday morning. Every few weeks, we just clear the decks, you know, I take calls every show, virtually every show, almost without exception, every show, but every few weeks we just clear the decks. So we just do nothing but calls. And to day, it's one of those days. So I want to get back to the phones. I want to talk to Let's see, let's talk to Jim. Hey, Jim, welcome home.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Dan a hey, I live in a house it's not insulated on the inside walls. Is there any insulation in paneling that you can put up over stucco on the outside to insulate?
Speaker 2: Okay? So all right, let me.
Speaker 1: So you live in an older home that doesn't have exterior wall insulation.
Speaker 6: That what you're saying, Yeah, right, it's placid walls inside. You know it's bought I bought it well, I was built back in the sixties, in the early sixties, And just curious if there's insulation and paneling that you can put up on the outside exterior walls that you know there.
Speaker 1: Is there is. That's one way of doing it. You could You could add furring strips essentially to the stucco and then put to rigid paneling. But then you're gonna have to recoat the entire house. You're gonna have to either restucco or reside the outside of the house, uh completely, And that can that can be a whole bunch of expense in and of itself. Instead of that, I would in order to and we do this a lot in order to preserve older homes and preserve the integrity of older homes. Now, what I'm about to suggest seems like a lot, and it kind of is, but it's actually, in the end the least amount of work. You can call a foam insulation company and but believe me, spray foam or pump foam insulation the best insulation that you can get, bar none. You can call a foam insulation company and what they will do is they will go around the outside of the house and they are going to drill a whole one hole kind of mid wall in every stud bay through the stucco and every stud bay around the outside of your house. That's a lot of holes. I know it's a lot of holes, but they're relatively small holes and they're drilled through the stucco until they get access into that interior stud bay and then with a with a foam pump, they can insert a hose up and then down and fill that cavity with foam insulation until it's you know, squeezing out the hole and they know it's full. It doesn't even matter. Sometimes we can do it when there's existing insulation in the hole. It will mix and pressurize in there just fine, and then they move on. They can literally insulate all of those stud bays through those holes all the way around the outside of the house. Then what you're left with is a stucco house that has, you know, a bunch of holes in it, you know, and we're talking about like an inch and a half diameter or two inch inch hole every sixteen inches or so all the way around the house. That is something that then a stucco company can simply patch the hole and then all you need is a new finish coat, which is just an eighth of an inch of stucco across those exterior walls. Don't have to tear the old stucco out, don't have to add all new sighting to the outside of the house. It's not a inexpensive procedure, but it's a lot less expensive and super efficient than tearing all the stucco off the house, or tearing all the dry wall off the inside walls, or anything like that. And these days, with our hose applied foam insulation, it works brilliantly well. In fact, you'll end up with a house that's better air sealed than the brand new house that just got built next to you with standard bat insulation in it. And so that's how we would reckon men doing it.
Speaker 6: Can they even go bug and below the fireblock?
Speaker 1: Exactly? They get above and below the fire block. So so that way you know the whole wall. It's guaranteed, the whole wall is going to get filled up.
Speaker 7: Uh, and then all the way.
Speaker 1: In the board exactly, all the way down to the bottom plate, in the top plate, the entire wall is it. Yeah, yeah, it'll work. Believe me, it works. We've seen it. Just dramatically change the way an old house. And that way you're not screwing up the inside of the house, and you're not paying for brand new stucco everywhere, because stucco is three different layers scratch coat, brown coat, and then that thin little finish coat. All you're essentially doing is a little bit of patchwork and a new finish coat. No, with a new finished coat on the outside of the house, no one will ever know the holes had even been made. And you're paying for the least expensive part of a new stucco job.
Speaker 2: Okay, you are very welcome, my friend.
Speaker 1: Good luck on that and Uh yeah, I would recommend doing it absolutely, and please don't forget Jim the attic of all things. I mean, if you only had so much money to spend on insulation, the best place to insulate and the cheapest place to insulate is to pump the attic full of like a like a mineral wool insulation loose fill insulation in the attic, to just seal it all up. Because you know, heat rises, and so even if you don't have a jacket when you go outside, put a hat on and you will stay warmer. It's not being to be perfect, but it's absolutely your best insulation dollar is to add insulation to your already existing attic situation. All right, excellent question, and more on the way. We will go back to the phones right after.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Dean Sharp, The House Whisper, Welcome Home. There's just something about that intro music there the Elmer that made me laugh. Just felt like we were doing folks singing in the sixties. I don't know what that was. Good call, good call. I love your music man, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Dean Sharp.
Speaker 1: The House Whisper at your service, Welcome home, Welcome to the program. It is an all calls Sunday morning. We've got several calls on the board. There's still room for you, though, if you want to give it a shot. And it's not like there's a line in front of you, because I take calls randomly. So I just reach into the barrel here and pull out a collar. That's how it works. But I am gentle. I'm gentle when I pull you out of the barrel, I promise the number to reach me eight three three two. Ask Dean eight three three the numeral two. Ask Dean eight three three two. Ask Dean. See how that works. That's why we picked that number. All right, let's talk to Don. Hey Don, welcome home.
Speaker 7: Hi Don, this is uh.
Speaker 2: Uh you're Don.
Speaker 7: That's right. Well, I got I got to listen to the folk songs and I just love that. You know, Hey, I've got a question for you here. I've got a family member here who has a beautiful house. It's a single family house. And what they've done over the years is they had added on a family room in the back and then where the it's a the house is a race, the race race foundation and where they added the family room. It's about eight or nine inches down below the main floor. And uh, and the reason I calling about this is that they actually had two of their family members fall over that step because there was nothing there and they didn't see it. And then last last night I went over to their house. It's it's up for sale now and I went over to check it out, and uh, they had they had remodeled everything that The floors were beautiful, They're they're really light wood, some kind of wood surface floor. They're really beautiful. And when I walked out of the main floor, they have a pool in the back and I looked at I was looking at the pool and I stepped over it and I just landed right on my butt all the way and I just kind of it kind of stoned me there for a minute and then I fortunately I have a big butt, so it was okay. But what, and I asked, I asked the agent there, I said, what, why don't you put something there? Put put some of the painter's tape, or maybe put put some chairs or something along there, because yeah, I've been in that house many many times and I still fell. I didn't see it's when you look at it. It blends in so you don't really see the level. There is there any suggesting what what the I don't know what he's gonna do, but the new owner of what they can do because they had it has been a real you know, one of them broke a leg and one of them sprained at ankle before.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's the step of death. It is.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, it actually is not an at all an uncommon thing. Don we We hear about that stuff sometimes see it all the time. So I just want to clarify. Uh, the so it's a it's an eight or a nine inch step down? Is there no intermediate step there at all? Or is it just like boom one cliff and you got you go from the old house down to the new level.
Speaker 7: That's it. And it's from wall to wall. It's just all the way across straight one one.
Speaker 1: Stay yeah YOI And uh and that floor down there, what kind of flooring is on the main house level and what kind of flooring is down on the on the recessed area.
Speaker 7: They're they're both I don't know if there would there they're they're they're brand news, so I don't I'm not familiar with the wood. But it's it's very like, you know, kind of whitewashed colored wood. It's it's when you see in the houses these days.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's all the states, that's the Yeah, no intermediate step all right, Well, you know, I mean I don't have a a I don't have a one universal solution there when when there's a step involved, in other words, there's actually literally a step, an intermediate step. I always tell people, hey, I don't care what you did that step in how much it matches the other floor, change it. Change that step color to something else, right, in other words, paint it, or take that wood, refinish it, stain it darker in a complementary color, so that everybody notices that line there. The problem is nobody sees the line, and if you're not paying attention, that's why everybody's killing themselves on this step down here. Plus the fact I should say, you know, if it's more than eight inches, that's not even code.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So that's one thing that I could consider. Okay, one thing you could consider that if you got an eight inch you've got an eight or a nine inch step down. That's a taller riser than is allowed in a one single step down, okay, And if there's room on the lower part, in other words, if there if there isn't furniture just backed all the way up right to you know, slammed onto that step transition, if there's room immediate step so that we can break that nine inches into you know, four and a half and four and a half, and let's add an intermediate step. And let's make sure that intermediate step is a different contrasting wood. It could still be the hard wood, could still be the same species of wood. But if we stain it darker than the light floor, everybody will see it.
Speaker 2: Everybody will see it. Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, barring barring that, think about the flow from the existing room out to the other space. And if there's only one area really where people can or need to transition, then you could build a little pony wall across there. Or if a pony wall is going to block the view and people feel like, uh like, uh, well, the whole idea of the pony wall is the is the idea that that that if we channel somebody to walk through one particular area, then we're alerting.
Speaker 2: Hey, there's a difference here. Okay. Uh more, where if.
Speaker 1: The pony wall it blocks the view and you're like, well, I don't have a pony wall, by the way, everybody, Just for those of you don't know, I'm just talking about like a half heighth wall, like a thirty six or a inch tall wall that used, you know, but if that darkens the other room, then you know, you could use in these in houses these days, sometimes we use cable railing. The kind of stuff we would put on an exterior deck. We would use cable railing right there and still create a wall and channel somebody through. Uh, so that they literally have they're aware that, hey there's a divider here and a step down.
Speaker 2: Be aware.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that way you wouldn't block the view or the light. But those are just a couple of ideas for that. But honestly, if it's more than eight inches of step down, I would put an intermediate step along that thing. I would make sure it's a contrasting color.
Speaker 7: Well, that's good advice, that sounds good. I think they had they had put a couch or something on it, you know, before they moved so. But but this just took me. I mean I've been in there many many times, and I just won two three, and I stick a step and I almost tip my head on the upper level. Uh and but fortunately everything worked out for me. And I just that's good advice. That was that would that would that's just not to kind of damage. I need to get somebody that has problem walking, you know, maybe that's another thing too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll tell you, John, you know, hand them that advice, uh, if if they're open to it, because and I don't want to get all litigious or anything, because that's the last thing in the world that I like talking about. But the fact of the matter is that the the International Building Code you know, allows it here in the States for a you know, for for new construction stuff, and that you know, they did that at some point not too long ago, right, so that an eight inch tall riser is the maxim them allowed by code. So if there's a code violation there of too tall of a step and a blind step, somebody could sue. I mean, somebody could get hurt and actually sue because it is technically an unsafe code violation condition and that nobody wants that. So I would if it's you know, regardless of all the other advice I gave, if it is beyond eight inches in height, I would not hesitate to just build in. It's not going to cost him that much. Build in a secondary step break that you know, nine inches into four and a half and four and a half, and give people plenty of you know of tread to step down onto so that they see the transition and nobody has to get injured in a good home. Don thank you so much for your call, and I hope that helps all right, y'all more when we return. You are listening to Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisper on KFI. This has been Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisper. Tune into the live broadcast on KFI Am six forty every Saturday morning from six to eight Pacific time and every Sunday morning from nine to noon Pacific time, or anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app