Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive Helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, Jimmer House along with you for Guardians Weekly as we join you this week from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, American Family Field, where the Guardians are taking on the Brewers this weekend. Two of the best teams in baseball having at it as the Guardians went into play on Friday with MLB's best record and the Brewers not that far behind as they had the third best record in the National League. Couple of division leaders, and it's been a good series, or it looks to be a good series shaping up over the weekend in Milwaukee. We'll have more on that as we get rolling, but we can tell you coming up on our show this week, we will hear from former Cleveland Indian a big part of the twenty sixteen World Series team, Mike Napoli. He was in town with the Chicago Cubs earlier this week as their first base coach, and we'll visit with Mike Napoli a little bit later on in the show, along with veterans starting pitcher Matthew Boyd and outfielder John Kenzie Nowell. But first our weekend review that comes your way shortly after this time out on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Don't go away, folks.
Speaker 3: Drivers who switch and save with Progressive could save hundreds, which could be life changing life. I mean, you could put that money towards concert tickets for your daughter to see that singer who sings about painful breakups and one song will inspire your little beauty to break up with that beast Chase dating Brian instead, she'ld date someone who's nice and worthy of her love, not someone who addresses you in your spouse as burro. And it's all because you could save money switching at Progressive dot Com, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company and affiliates not available in all states.
Speaker 2: Kim Row's anounce back with you. It is Guardians as we join you from American Family Field in Milwaukee this weekend. Time now for the weekend review and a good week it has been for the Guardians, as after taking the final two games of their series last weekend in Minnesota, the Guardians welcome the Cubs to Progressive Field wild Ballgame on Monday Night one of the more entertaining games of the season, as the Cubs jumped in front in the third inning on a two run home run from Ian Happ and a solo shot in the fourth by Pete Crow Armstrong, and just like that, it was three to nothing Chicago. The Guardians answered in the bottom half of the fourth inning, a couple of men on base for Josh Naylor. Here comes his payoff pitch, swung on, loop to shallowwrights center that falls in for a base at Kwan will score on his way to third is Ramirez and Naylor comes through with a two out RBI single and the Guardians are on the board. It's now three to one Cubs who that bat for Josh Naylor, who fell behind oh two, but battled back, worked the count full and then was able to stay on that pitch and loop it in the right center for a base hit. And then John Kenzie Noel stepped to the plate one into the count. Here it comes, and that swung on and launched high and deep left field, way on out of here home run John Kenzie Noel, and with one swing he has put the Guardians in front. Oh my, four hundred feet onto the home run porch, and just like that, the Guardians have taken the lead with a four run fourth inning. It's now four to three Cleveland. The Guardians extended the lead in the fifth inning with a man aboard and Stephen Kwan stepping in top of the lineups even quant steps in. Here's the pitch swung on and that's lifted high and deep to right. This has a chance head it's gone another home run. Kwan goes deep and the Guardians tack on here in the fifth inning, six to three Cleveland. Kwan with his thirteenth home run of the season. Later on in the fifth, Jose Ramirez singled, stole second and then another big two out hit, this time from David Fry. Two down in the inning. Ramirez at second, the pitch swung online left field line and it's a fair ball into the corner. Hare comes Ramirez. He will score. On his way to second. Is Fry the slide the tagg and he's out. Fry tried to stretch it. Ramirez scored. The run counts and the Guardians have another big inning. Three runs on the board that inning, and we'll head to the sixth Cleveland seven, Chicago three and in the sixth, there was more of the John Kenzie Noel show.
Speaker 1: The pitch swings and drives, this one deep left field, it's got a chance. It is gone. The big band has a multi homer game and the Guardians have and eight to three lead. It looked like he was out on his front foot and hit a breaking ball.
Speaker 2: He is some kind of strong, so a big lead for the Guardians, but the Cubs did not give up. They scored four times in the seventh to pull the within a run, and then another run in the eighth, and just like that it was all even eight eight on to the bottom of the eighth we went Jose Ramirez. Let things off.
Speaker 1: Now the pitch swung on, ripped to deep bright field, down the line, it goes. It'll take one bounce, go up against the wall. Ramirez going for two. He's on his way sliding with a double. That's number twenty six for arguably the best all around player in baseball. Will Brennan followed with a pinch hit single, moving Ramirez up to third, and then Josh Naylor stepped in with a chance to break the tie. Game tied at eight. Nobody out runners at the corners a swinging a high chopper over the head of parades into left field of as hid that'll put Cleveland up nine to eight. Josh Naylor with an opposite field kangaroo bounce over the head of parades at third and in the left his second r and behind tonight, giving him eighty seven on the year, and just like that, Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Is back on top. And in the ninth a Manuel class A came on to try and save it for a third consecutive day.
Speaker 1: Classe again trying to save a third consecutive day in all of these games. Incredible drama. Now the one two.
Speaker 4: A swag and a mess bow game Classe not just his twenty third consecutive save Cleveland with one of their wildest wins of the year, knock off the Cubs nine to eight.
Speaker 2: So a wild win for the Guardian's Monday Night. Couldn't have a more different game on Tuesday Night, not nearly as much offense, but still a very entertaining game. Nonetheless, as it was the season debut and Guardian's debut on the mound for Matthew Boyd and he was sharp early.
Speaker 1: Now the two swung out a week chopper to short Rokio charges glove sens throws and got him by a step. Boy Bellinger made that close eighteen pitch inning for Matthew Boyd. He's back in the big leagues, and he probably never looked more forward to having his club inspected by the home plate umpire than he did right now walking off the field. He's back in the major leagues. With a scoreless first.
Speaker 2: Chicago scored a run in the second on a Dansby Swanson sack fly, but the Guardians got that run right back in the bottom of the inning. It was Brian Rochio batting with runners on the corners infield bank double play depth the pitch, Rochio bunts a safety squeeze, bare hand grab by Asad throw to the plate off the line, scoring with the head first slide him and hiss Noel the second and a great bunt by Rochio. He's at first. That may end up being a base hit. That was a safety squeeze. It was perfectly executed.
Speaker 1: By Rochio and the runner Jimenez, bare hand grabbed by Assad. He threw in a hurry to the plate. He had no chance to get him Inez. He spiked the throw knocked down by Bethencourt and it goes as a bunt single and the Guardians tied up at one.
Speaker 2: And then Matthew Boyd continued to shut down the Cubs lineup.
Speaker 1: Matthew Boyd has had eleven two counts and zero two oh counts. Think of that kind of command fourteen months after Tommy John surgery. Incredible, the one two swinging and a miss in the dirt. Dugout Nailer steps out in front of the plate, throws to first six drakeouts for Matthew Boyd and his night is done. As manager Steven Vote will make the call after an eighty pitch night by Matthew Boyd, he will get a rousing ovation coming to the third base. Dugouty slaps his manager on the chest and they're on their feet at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario. A standing ovation. Matthew Boyd a tip of the cap heading to that third base, Dugout slaps his hands against his club, high fives in that Dugout all those tedious hours of rehab and that moment is one that he, his wife and children will never forget. Then, in the bottom of the sixth John Kenzie no Weell went deep one more time. The wine by smiling and the two two swinging and.
Speaker 4: Rip to dape left away back.
Speaker 5: Hair a prodigious blast beyond the porch and left, and the Guardians have a two to one lead.
Speaker 1: Here in the sixth and no Well on pitch number eight. He hit at four hundred thirty feet, so his third home run in two days. Good luck getting him out of the lineup.
Speaker 2: Kate Smith and Hunter Gaddis kept the Cubs off the board in the seventh and the eighth before turning it over to Emmanuel Class who was pitching for a fourth straight day, tying run out second. Here's the two ozer pitch.
Speaker 1: Swanson hits a chapter to third, Ramirez charges gloves, looks the runner back to second. He's in a rundown. Throw goes to third, he is still in the rundown. Ramirez takes him out.
Speaker 3: Ball game.
Speaker 1: How about that? A chapper to third and Ramirez with a speedy Swanson running to first, got a hoarder in a rundown between second and third. And the Guardians keep rolling and four saves in four consecutive days. Free manual closse. Four straight wins for Cleveland and the Guardians keep the best record in baseball beating the Cubs tonight two to one, so on Wednesday, that's set up a chance for the sweep for the Guardians, and the game was scoreless until the fourth inning. That's when Chicago scored a run on a Cody Bellinger sack fly, giving them a one nothing lead. But the Cleveland's offense got going in the bottom of the fourth. Jose Ramirez let things off with a walk and that brought Josh Naylor to the plate. The pitch to Naylors swung on and drilled right center field, pick gets down for a base, it splits the gap, rolls to the wall, rounding third. Heading for home is Ramirez. He will score on the double off the bat of Josh Naylor, and just like that, this game is tied ad one.
Speaker 2: When Naylor's been swinging it well again for a while now, and that time wasted little time in lining one up the gap in right center double number nineteen for nailor RBI number eighty eight, and we have a brand new ballgame quickly here in the fourth. Two batters later, Andre Cemenez delivered to put the Guardians in front. The two to one pitch swung online drive right field that gets down for a base hit. Nailer will round third, he's heading for home. The throw is cut off, Naylor scores standing up. It's an RBI single for andre Cemenez and the Guardians take a two to one lead.
Speaker 6: All right there.
Speaker 2: It is that smooth approach, not trying to do too much lately for andre Cemenez. Just a sharp single to shallow right center and he picks up is forty eighth run batted in on the season. They went back to work in the fifth Stephen Kuan singleed and then it was Will Brennan coming through Ty owned delivers and it's swung on RiPP to first fare ball passed the first basement, down the line and right all the way into the corner. Kuan motoring around thirties heading for home. The relay goes to third. Quan scores into third with a trimple. Is Brennan and the Guardians had another run. HiT's now three to one Cleveland. Brennan with his second triple and he has now driven in twenty six. Jose Ramirez followed and drove in Brennan with a ground out, making it four to one Cleveland, and then Alex Cobb continued to impress on the mound in his second start since joining the ball club.
Speaker 1: Hamp swing since a week bouncer the first right over the bag and went nailer the flip to Cob two down. Boy, here we are getting exactly what pitching coach Carl Willis has been longing for. Alex Cobb right now has given up one run on three hits, striking out three heads and walk the matter.
Speaker 2: In the eighth, the Guardians added a little more insurance with two men on and another clutch hit from Andre Simenez. The next offering swung on drill toward the aptep left center field. It'll get down, it'll bounce up against the wall.
Speaker 1: That'll score Ramirez and Thomas and Hemenez was a two run double up the alley and left center and that breaks it open six to one. Cleveland. A three arby night for Andre Simenez and Andre Simenez three hits, three arby eyes. The Cubs elected Depitts to him and he has both hits tonight that Cleveland's had with men in scoring position.
Speaker 2: And with the big lead. Finally, a day off for Emmanuel class as Scott Barlow was on to finish things up in the ninth Scott Farlow.
Speaker 1: Sets fires a swing and a little weak fly ball shallow rights center. The right fielder Noel makes the catch. Ball game, and the Guardians have made it five straight wins. And the Guardians maintained the best record in baseball now twenty three games above five hundred as they sweep the Cubs tonight, winning it six to one after an op day Thursday Friday, the opener of the series here in Milwaukee, and it was the Brewers racing out to a five run lead and they hung on for the five to three win. So that's your weekend review. Stay with us.
Speaker 2: When we get back, we'll hear from starting pitcher Matthew Boyd, who made his Guardian's debut earlier this week. That's next on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Now the two too swag get a mess son of changeup. How about that four hundred and fourteen days between mainche league outings and he's back striking out Ian half to start tonight's ball game. That's incredible. That's one of those Hollywood scripts that maybe even Hollywood would say is too unbelievable. Welcome back to Guardian's Weekly.
Speaker 2: Jim rosen House along with you as we join you from American Family Field in Milwaukee, where the Guardians are taking on the Brewers this weekend. Earlier this week, veteran left hander Matthew Boyd made his return to the mound following Tommy John surgery that has kept him out of action for more than a year. He was signed by the Guardians a couple of months back. He's worked his way back with good rehab starts and was outstanding in his debut on Tuesday. As we heard in the highlights last segment. We had a chance to sit down with them after the win and he talked about how he felt things went in this his first start of the season with his new ballclub.
Speaker 7: It was I was really grateful for last night Bo called, called and caught just a great game back there. I'm a you know, It's something I've wanted to do. Was just that I didn't get in me to the big legs. Was just you know, using my whole repertoire, using all four pitches, all five pitches and uh, you know, pitching, and you know we did a good job of that, and defense played great behind me and it wasn't all around.
Speaker 6: It was a great win.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting you mentioned that. So do you feel that in that year that you've been out that maybe you were a different pitcher and someone that maybe you wanted to be at some point and now can do that.
Speaker 7: I mean, I I think it's more it was the ability was always there to do it.
Speaker 6: I just I mean, it's more.
Speaker 7: The fact that you have a four hundred plus days of reflection to think about, how old do I want to do things when I get back and just watching a lot of baseball and you watch the trends of the game, and uh, it's just, you know, something I just always prided myself on was using everything, and so that's what you know, it's a it was it was fun to go out there and use it all and uh and and just you know, just get out there and compete.
Speaker 2: So many times a player or a picture is injured, they miss significant time and you hear about the rehab and how tedious it is. But is that maybe a if you look at it in a certain way, a positive way, that maybe you can get better by just watching the game and studying some things. Is that a byproduct of maybe unintended of an injury situation for you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think so, I mean, I I think in any facet of life, reflection is key, right. If you want to grow, you have to look at the man in the mirror or woman in the mirror and be honest with you know what you see. And I've had, you know, I think I've had lots of success in this game. I've also had some years where been dragged through the mud. And it's in those times if you can look at those honestly and understand how there can be growth in any kind of circumstances, it's it can lead you to something good and positive ahead. So you know, it's there were times last year where I felt like I was going really good and things didn't go right, you know, in the field, and you know you're going, okay, stay the course. You know, maybe I don't have the box score resort but a result, but we're on the right path. And then there's times where you go, man, I really wish I could have done something differently. And sometimes those those moments come when you're removed from the game and you're you're you're watching the game through TV and not sitting in the dugout, you know, preparing for a start, and it's in that time of way that you use that for growth and you know, be honest with yourself and then go forward from there saying okay, let's uh, let's let's go implement this and go work.
Speaker 2: Matthew Boy joining us following a really good performance in his debut for the Guardians. And we talked to you when you got here and signed you add options you could have signed other places. Now that you've been here, has that just validated some of the belief you had in this organization that it would be the right fit for you.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, without a doubt. It was one of those things that everything just was aligning to this is where I wanted to be and you know, and talking to Albie and talking to Kai and talking to Steven, you know, it's just like.
Speaker 3: It it was.
Speaker 1: It was true.
Speaker 6: It was like this is this is.
Speaker 7: You know, I I I trust all those guys.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: I was like, this is a spot that's that's special. So there was a I didn't need the validation, but the proof is definitely in the pudding, and it was it was cool to see a firsthand and I'm just grateful to be part of this Fall Club.
Speaker 2: And sometimes it takes a little while for a player to fit in his teammates to welcome him. But man, it seemed like this has happened very quickly for you and your teammates, especially judging from the reaction after it came off the mount Are you surprised at that that it's happened at quickly or is that maybe just your nature? And and that's happened in other places too.
Speaker 7: No, I mean, I I gotta say it's a I haven't felt part of a team so fast as I did here, and I think it speaks to the the quality and the character of the guys here, and it's it's it's special and unique. You know, I feel like I fit in everywhere that I've been, and I've been everywhere. I've been on amazing ball clubs from Toronto to Detroit to San Francisco, Seattle and and you know, now here. But how fast that happened here was really really unique and really really really special on I think just the character of the staff and the players here, and I'm just I feel very fortunate that I get to put.
Speaker 6: On this uniform.
Speaker 2: It was a fun night. Great to see you back on the Big League Mountain. Thanks for coming back.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Great story, Matthew Boyd, and it could be an even bigger story as the season develops down the stretch. Another big story could be John Kenzie. Know well, he's already had a big week for the man they call Big Christmas, his first multi homer game on Monday, then another big blast and Tuesdays win to make it three home runs in two days. We talked to John Kenzie your Monday's game and explain how he's been able to stay sharp despite not being in the lineup every day.
Speaker 8: I mean, you know I would stay Uh. I just to prepare every time, you know, when the money you call me, you know, be ready for everything, you know, and uh yeah, I always be ready in my machine. Uh here fast slying that slow coal uh and just keep you know, my mind in the game, say every time like y'all won't play and uh yeah, just waiting for the opportunity, you know, and just want to have the team win.
Speaker 2: And for someone who's played every day in the minor leagues, how difficult is it to to not play every day here but still be be good when you do play.
Speaker 8: I mean I feel I don't play every day, but I feel like I play every day, let's say, because I got always my mind, like I'll go play because I take a prosing like game. You know, I checked when the guy's hitting and stuff like that. And you know, keep my body the more important thing, you know, because when like I said, when the money you come, my name, be ready, you know, for play thief and or he whatever the money you want me to do, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: You and and your teammates. Nobody had seen last night starting pitcher for the Cubs before h but you seem to have a good approach against him. How do you prepare for someone that you hadn't seen before.
Speaker 8: I mean I was watching, I was watching like today, I was watching the video. You know, he's a good it's a good picture. But I was just seeing fastball, you know, and least to a strike when I get to a strike. So now, you know, try and pull the bone and play with him, you know, don't try to do it too much. I mean, I tell that that's split. That was good s plea. But I say, I'm always more better than than that's split, you know, And uh yeah, I tell the the shay and thank god that make the.
Speaker 2: Content Kensey Noel's joining us. Two home runs last night and a great catch in right field. Uh, take us through that catch and how you decide if you're gonna die for it and try and make that grab or just lay off and try and pick it up on the bounce.
Speaker 8: I mean it's uh, that was tough play. Let's say right now the months let's say the more difficult play I make because the what's a slow, you know, fly ball, and and I was like, Ia, I don't know if you're gonna be I'm gonna drop. Uh. And my mind was was I just got a catch the ball because I can say the game with a and yeah, and I make it and we won the game.
Speaker 2: You mentioned saving the game at the time. How aware were you that that was a huge play because of what the score was and things like that.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think the goal was three nothing. I think, so you know we're good hitting, you know, And uh, yeah, like I said, when I play defense, man, I know why, I know they passed me there. You know, when I play right field, I think I'm the best right feel in the league, no matter who is the best right fee there. But I think every time I Miami the best right fee there. So every time the heat that was over there and I'm just gonna try and cash, you know, and if it passed me, it's okay. But every time fly ball line right, and I know I can make that play. How we do it?
Speaker 2: Obviously a lot of confidence there. And your team just went through a seven game losing streak, but now you're you're winning games again. But it seemed like everybody handled things well during the losing streak. And what was the key during that time to being able to come back and play good baseball again?
Speaker 8: I mean the same the grown minds. You know, we know we the best team in the league, you know, great team. They bad like that. You know, they can lose seven, they get louten, but we never get up, you know. And it's a lot of one game left, So we forgot about the seven. Now we got I don't know four now, So yeah, now we're gonna get the other one. You know, today, yesterday past. Now we're gonna and focus now and this game today for us important too. Every game right now for us is very important. So it's no matter whole pitching or web team we face, we more better into them.
Speaker 2: With all that said, fun game last night. When when you look back on it.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, what a great game. But the more import that we won the game. That's the more important thing. I came to home and you know that in cash. But the more important thing is win Bowl games.
Speaker 2: Well said John Kenzie. Thanks a love for coming back.
Speaker 8: Appreciate him, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: That's outfielder John Kenzie. No, well, I mean quite a rookie season one that didn't start until late June. Stay with us when we come back, we'll hear from a blast from the past. Mike Napoli joins us after this.
Speaker 3: Drivers who switch and save with Progressive could save hundreds, which could be life changing. Left, I mean, you could put that money towards that zero turned lawnmower you've always wanted, and after using its head shaping technology to meticulously sculpt the face of the Mona Lisa into your grass, you'll become the undisputed king of Saturday morning lawn care, leaving your neighbor and sworn enemy, Garrett. The question is placed in the delicate neighborhood ecosystem, and it's all because you could save money switching at Progressive dot Com. Progressive casualty insurance company and afiliate's not available in estates.
Speaker 1: Three three tie game in the seventh. Here's the old one.
Speaker 4: Swung out of Belton today, Clift Hohay back way.
Speaker 1: Out of here, bring out the tape measure halfway up the bleachers and left for my Napoli.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly, our final segment from Milwaukee where the Guardians are taking on the Brewers this weekend. Don't forget night baseball on Saturday with a seven to fifteen first pitch and then a day game on Sunday to ten the start time in Milwaukee against the Brewers to close out the series. Well, Mike Napoli was in town with the Chicago Cubs as their first base coach earlier this week. The former a big part of the twenty sixteen Cleveland Indians World Series team. He was a fan favorite then and still very popular certainly when he comes back to town. And we talked about his days in Cleveland when we had a chance to visit with him, and we also asked him about how the coaching role has suited him so far in his post playing career.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean it's been a good experience for me. You know, first getting into coaching, you know, I got a job being a caall the assurance guy, and kind of just jumped around everywhere. They called me the Swiss Army Knife, to where I was just trying to do everything, being everything and talking to the guys a lot. And you know, there was a period of time to where I had to get over that I wasn't playing anymore. You know, sometimes I would look at the game and be like, man, I could still do that, and what are they doing? And but once I got past that and let go of not playing anymore, and you know, becoming a coach, I think just helping the guys out and I.
Speaker 6: Think I could just I could relate to what's.
Speaker 9: Going on with them. So I knew how most of the guys were feeling at the time, if I had to have a talk with them or if I was trying to make them better in a certain area. But it's been real enjoyable for me to to, you know, be a part of that and seeing guys get better on a daily basis and pushing them to you know, try to get better every single day and focus on winning.
Speaker 2: You mentioned having an impact on players while you've played and to come to mind right here, I Loo Santana and Jose Ramirez in twenty sixteen. When you look at them, now, what do you think about when when you think back to those times when they were just really getting going.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, that's that's what it's all about. You try to have impact on people, you know. I think I tried to do that everywhere I was and me being in a situation I was being an older player kind of seeing a lot of things being been through, trying to help people, young guys on a daily basis. It was fun for me to see them and interact with them and try to make them better and make them feel comfortable and make them feel part.
Speaker 6: Of you know, our group in a team. You know, I think that's what it's all about.
Speaker 9: Is when you get a bunch of guys that come together and care about, like, genuinely care about each other.
Speaker 6: It's it's important.
Speaker 9: And you know, I think I showed them a lot of love and it was genuine and we had good relationships. And it's cool to see how they've grown. I mean, Jose is one heck of a baseball player.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 9: It's you can even hear, you know, we we have conversations that Doug out we're here and people are just like, man, they just love how he plays, the way he goes about his business.
Speaker 6: He plays hard, and he's just a really good.
Speaker 9: Hitter, and he's really good defensively. So and then Santana, you know, I got to see him about a week ago. You know, it came in we we played in Minnesota, and uh, we were always excited to see each other. We reminisce and it's amazing to see, you know, the career he's had, and you know, I wish both of them, you know, more and more success.
Speaker 2: Mike Napoli joining US first page coach for the Cubs, but a huge part of the twenty sixteen World Series team for Cleveland. And Mike, you look back at that, You're one of your best on the field home run wise, rbi wise, and you add some some good seasons along the way for some really good teams. What was it about that year that allowed you to really break loose and be just a key figure in that lineup.
Speaker 6: I think there's so many things to it.
Speaker 9: I think one, uh, Frank ConA, you know, getting to know Frank ConA on a daily basis, him pushing me and and uh reassuring me always about me being in the lineup and hitting forth and uh.
Speaker 6: Being a big part of it.
Speaker 9: I think coming back and can link back up with ty Van Berkeley of you know, when I got I was came into the minors, he was our hitting coordinator with the Angels, and we always had a good relationship. I kind of got into a routine and learning, you know, some of his philosophies.
Speaker 6: So I think getting back.
Speaker 9: With him and him understanding my swing and being able to talk to him about certain stuff definitely was a big, big key to it. But uh, I mean it's just I think overall the group that we had, you know, it was it was a fun time.
Speaker 6: It was a fun year.
Speaker 9: We all enjoy each other and and you know, you never know what's gonna happen, but we we got onto into a good role and and became a tight knit group and played for each other, and uh, you know, I think I definitely fed off that, and it was I don't know, just that things worked out. You know, I got a lot of a lot of at baths. I was in the lineup every single day, and uh, you know, I was just able to.
Speaker 6: Roll with it.
Speaker 2: You mentioned fun, and maybe it's because we were getting further and further away from it by the day. But the party at Napoli's shirts and and the team just seemed to have that good vibe and it doesn't happen every year. And and was that a special team When you look back at your career at some of the teams that you played for.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I mean I've been so fortunate in my career to play on a lot of good teams. And the thing that stands out about all those teams is is what you said. I mean, it's just were They're a really tight knit group and you really genuinely care about each other and play for each other and uh, you know, you check you or you go out the door, and it's all about winning. So I think all those teams that were really successful that I've been on is they they've all had that. But you know, the whole party Atnopolies thing was amazing. Especially you know, the biggest thing I'll take away from it is being able to raise money for the children's hospital. You know, we raised a lot of money while having fun with it, and I think that was, you know, most important, especially now looking back you know, I didn't have kids then, but I have kids now and it just meant means so much more to me now just thinking back, you know, being able to get back to the children's hospital is just it was an amazing year.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Fans always love it when you're back. Good to see you, Thanks laugh for coming by. Thanks having a That's Mike Napoli, the former Cleveland India a big part of that twenty sixteen team. His best season in the major leagues, by the way, with thirty home runs and one hundred and two RBIs both career highs for him and a big, big part of that team and a big reason why they went to the World Series that season. That's going to do it for this edition of Guardian Weekly. Is always thanks to Brian Motsee for helping to put together our show each week until next week when we join you once again from downtown Cleveland and Progressive Field. This is Jim rosen House reminding you that you've been listening to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Guardians Weekly has it been brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance