Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of the Chicks on the Right podcast, where we host our friend and sponsor of the show, Zach Abraham from Bulwart Capital Management. And there is a very promising report out of Bank of America. They've done this study. I don't know whether to believe it or not, because to me it seems kind of far fetched.
Speaker 2: You do believe it.
Speaker 3: I believe every bit of it.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, Well.
Speaker 1: The study finds that gen Z is apparently becoming less dependent on family for financial help. And I it seemed like the trends were going in the opposite direction that like you constantly heard stories about, you know, kids never leaving home, moving into the basement, et cetera, et cetera. But it sounds like even though they rely, they're going paycheck to paycheck right now, they're living paycheck to paycheck. They are relying less on family and doing smart things like cutting back on eating out, on doing all this social stuff that costs a lot of money. And so I just I'm curious to know from you, Daisy, why you were like, oh, yeah, this makes total sense for me.
Speaker 3: I'm like, really, well, two reasons. One, I have a kid who doesn't go party or do anything like that. She's literally like a sixty three year old and the sixty year old body, So I feel like she's already just geared to save money. She's a hoarder when it comes to money. But my second hypothesis is that gen Zers were raised primarily by gen xers, and so I feel like gen xers are like we were, you know, lashky kids raised on hose water and neglect, and so we are more of like a you got to take care of yourself, you got to get over it, that kind of thing, Whereas I think Millennials were raised primarily by boomers, which is just a little it's just a different way of parenting. I think not everybody, and it's not a blanket statement, but I think that lends itself to gen Zers being like, Okay, we've been taught that we've got to deal with our crap and do it quickly. And that bode's true for my kid, at least, I feel like she's gonna be okay, and she's gonna say it because you are on your own, sweetheart bunch you get out of college.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, yeah, good good luck, right, get out there, get out there and make some of yourself. No, you look, it's consistent with what I've seen, and I've actually sat there and said that it's one of the things that really gives me hope going.
Speaker 2: Forward because there is a different attitude among gen Z.
Speaker 4: There's a there's a hustle there that has kind of caught me off guard. With a lot of gen Z kids that I totally there is less of an expectation to get something.
Speaker 2: I've seen it with a lot of my daughter's friends.
Speaker 4: Like the percentage of these kids that are working and working significant hours and making some money is much higher from my perspective, much more than what I've seen out of out of millennials.
Speaker 2: And I think another thing happened.
Speaker 4: I was having this conversation the other day because when I grew up, I was at that at the very very beginning of this whole it doesn't matter if you win or lose, right, It was like it was the very beginning of like this, for lack of a better term, pardon my language, with like this candy ass approach to raisings, you know what I mean, everybody's a winner, and everybody was yeah, yeah, be gentle, you know so yeah, And I didn't take too kindly to that as a kid, right, I remember getting all ticked off, and I remember looking at the umpire.
Speaker 2: I was like, I was.
Speaker 4: I think it was like I was in kindergarten, first grade, and I remember looking at the empire and going, what's the score?
Speaker 2: And he's like, well, we don't keep scoring, and I was just like what. I was horrified?
Speaker 4: Right, So I started going back in the dugout and keeping score my t ball games, right, and I tell the guys were down two runs. No, no, it doesn't matter, you know, And I was like, yes, it does, Yes, it does.
Speaker 2: I didn't come here to lose power. So but but you then you saw that attitude I was out of. I was at the tail, you know, the very beginning of that.
Speaker 4: And then I think that kind of characterized the millennials by and large.
Speaker 2: Right, this this powder puff existence.
Speaker 4: And then like you said, I think the gen xers became the parents and it was kind of like this disgust with the way you know, they had my experience. They kind of saw it coming, you know, and yet I experienced that. But I still drank water out of hose is I had a rule growing up in summer? Did I well, did I reinstitute with my kids, which is, hey, if it is not raining and it is the summer, if you are inside, you're doing jobs right that period. Other than that, you're outside and you can play video games after the sun goes down, right, Like, that's you're going to be outside.
Speaker 2: And that's how we grew up.
Speaker 4: So we grew up the same way, and so I think that I think that the average gen X are like me, is probably more turned off by that stuff than than the average boomer was. And I think you see it reflecting the way we raise our kids.
Speaker 3: I don't like did like they don't. I don't think they date as much. I don't think they do a lot of true things that are risky, like we you know what I mean. It's just a lot different. But if you were going to give advice to a gen zer on what their priority should be for saving, like say there's just an eighteen year old, it's like that comes to you and says, hey, Zach, I am saving I've got four thousand dollars in savings. You know what I mean? What should I be saving for?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Priority wise? What do you think? What would you say to them?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, you know the clear and obvious one is a home, right, Like, that's that's kind of the biggest one. But I was having this conversation with a cousin of mine just this last weekend where I said, look, it doesn't even matter what you're just stack cash, right, just get out ahead of things. Yeah, Like, you know, people have these financial goals, and I wish people understood how valuable just not having debt is, right, like, in terms of lifestyle, and I'm not talking about your mortgage. It is a debt works a little bit differently, but I'm just talking.
Speaker 2: You know, we live in this.
Speaker 4: Age where everybody's focused on, you know, getting the thing or buying the thing, and I always look at him and go, have you ever stopped to ask if having the thing will make you happier than not having the debt on the thing?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Right? Because I've had both, and I can tell you right now I would much rather not have the thing and not have the debt period, right Because even when things don't go well or you take a hit financially, when you don't have debt, like I'll just tell you, as a business owner, it's the way I structure my life.
Speaker 2: I have some debt very little.
Speaker 4: I've got debt on my house, but even that is enough to where I mean, this is kind of a dark way to look at the world. But as a business owner doing what I do, I kind of feel like I have to, which is I only carry enough debt on my house to where I know I could fire or sell it at well below market value and walk with enough money to pay cash for another typical family home. Ye, so don't. I wouldn't keep the home that I have. It would be too much. I'd need to downsize. But just knowing that no matter what happens, I can walk with net cash and no debts.
Speaker 2: Like people are like, you.
Speaker 4: Have to start over. Well, starting over with no debt ain't that hard, right, And.
Speaker 3: A lot of these kids, a lot of them aren't going to I mean not a lot, but some of them are deciding, you know what, screw college and going into debt. I'm going to become a welder. I'm going to do the trades. I mean, you're seeing a resurgence and that stuff too, which.
Speaker 2: Thank god, because we get it right. I absolutely appreciate that.
Speaker 3: And I think that these kids they get it because they're like, I'm not going to go and get a degree in gender studies and have you know, one hundred and fifty thousand dollars with a debt when I can just go become a welder. And not saying that that person would probably be doing that, but you see what I'm saying. It's like it just get out and don't have any debt and live simply. That's what we try to teach our kids too, is just live as simply as you can because it's just stuff, you know what I mean. You don't want to buy it, but just stuff, and then it have no debt. If you can have no debt, you are ahead of the game. You're a head of so many of your peers and other people.
Speaker 2: A little anecdotal story.
Speaker 4: I'll tell about that to the young people out there, and I just I can't emphasize this enough.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting.
Speaker 4: So I'm a golf I'm a golf fanatic, and we uh in twenty ten, my wife and I bought a home inside of a gated country club community that was it was really affordable, and they had this really great club that was it's a private club, but not like two like, wasn't crazy expensive, didn't I didn't even have to pay an upfront deal, right Like it was just you pay a monthly fee and you go there and play golf all that kind of stuff. Well, while we were building our business, I was driving I've told the story I think on here before.
Speaker 2: I was putting forty forty thousand.
Speaker 4: Miles a year on my car, driving up down I five, bringing in new clients. And I was doing it in a two thousand and one Ford focused hatchback right that didn't have air conditioning. And I think what it was all said and done, I had two hundred and forty thousand miles on the thing. So literally I'd go to client meetings and in the summer, I'd have to hang my dress shirt on the passenger side seat because if I didn't, by the time I got there, it'd be soaked with sweat, right right, questioning its summer, right, And because of that, a lot of people in that club thought that we were broke, like that we were poor, and we were kind of like looked down on.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, now our firm has grown to a point where everybody in.
Speaker 4: Our local community, you know, you know, knows that we're probably not broke, right, they know that we made you know, manage a lot of money.
Speaker 2: I have a lot of people working for us, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: And it was so funny because going back to an event we had at the club, I had all these guys who I didn't really like, now all of a sudden kiss in my backsideeah yep. And and and what what it iced in my mind is they didn't realize that when I was driving the fore focus, it had nothing to do with what I could afford. I was making more money than most of them back then, right, but it it I didn't care.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: It's being mission focused. It's being going back to like purpose. Right, what is your birth being mission focused? And my dad used to have as saying, which is warrior's travel light right, meaning if you want to go accomplish something rate in your life, not having debt is a huge help.
Speaker 2: The other thing that's helpful.
Speaker 4: Is learning how to shut off caring about what other people think totally. Yes, yeah, it is a freaking waste of time, right. And money they will, yeah, they'll criticize your car, but they won't help you make the payment totally. And if you want to be wealthy, or more importantly, if you want to be financially independent.
Speaker 2: The number one thing.
Speaker 4: I would urge you to do now is turn off your give a damn button.
Speaker 2: Don't care what other people think, Dave.
Speaker 4: Ramsey says, all the time, you're running around in financial jeopardy trying to impress people that don't like you anyway, right, you know, don't quit caring. They don't pay your bills. They it doesn't matter to them. And if they care what kind of car you drive, you shouldn't care about them exactly.
Speaker 1: That's not the kind of people you need to be, no involving in your life, totally.
Speaker 3: No debt, No debt is a good one, and not given a crap. I love these two pieces of advice. Everybody should give their gen z ors that. And I feel like they are some of them already know it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean they're getting it clearly. That's why that report was such an eye opener.
Speaker 4: And they're taking advantage of a situation right now, which is so many of these places now, you know, and I know it varies from state to state, but the average wage these kids can go out and earn right now is way higher than you could even five years ago. Yeah, right, And so I'm looking at these kids going, Man, if you work twenty hours a week, which isn't that much, right, If you were twenty hours a week, you could leave for college with fifteen to twenty grand safe.
Speaker 2: Totally. Yeah, you know what I mean, totally.
Speaker 4: And go do it like, go do it like exactly what are you going to be doing in those other twenty hours of the week.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And video games own yeah, exactly in trouble agree totally.
Speaker 4: I bus tables during like high school, Like you know, maybe maybe a couple times on a Friday night you showed up an hour and a half late to the function, but nobody cared.
Speaker 2: Right, It's no big deal, right. We totally exactly stack cash and be financially free. Man, It's the best thing in the world.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Great advice, love it, great advice which you always give, which is why we always tell people to call you and where can they find you online?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So go to our daily podcast on YouTube and any podcast site.
Speaker 2: Know Your Risk podcast cover.
Speaker 4: Everything that goes on in the world of finance and economics every single day, and then for our services find more about what we do. Go to Boordcapitalmanagement dot com. Hard to find awesome thank you Zach, Thank you ladies. Fun as always.
Speaker 2: Investment advisory services offered through Trek Financial loc and SEC Registered Investment Advisor.
Speaker 4: The opinions expressed in this programmer for general informational purposes only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual or on any specific security. Any references to performance of security so it thought to be materially accurate and actual performance may different.
Speaker 2: Investments involved risk and are not guaranteed. Performance doesn't guarantee future results. Track twenty four three zero eight