Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. We're here to sift through mountains of research and boil it all down to the key insights you need, pure signal, no noise.
Speaker 2: And today we're doing a deep dive that honestly should change how you think about cybersecurity. Forget that old image, you know, the loan hacker in the dark room. Yeah, that's well, that's history now.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we're moving way beyond just basic firewalls and viruses. Today. We're looking at cybercrime as it actually is, a professional, global, multi billion dollar industry. It runs with startling efficiency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our mission today is to pull back the curtain on this global criminal machine. We're going to unpack the economics behind it, the sophisticated business models they use, and maybe most importantly, the core structural problems with the Internet itself that makes stopping these guys so incredibly hard.
Speaker 1: And let's just start with the hook, the core reason this whole thing is exploded. It's what the research calls an incredibly high risk to pay off ratio exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean think about it, You as a criminal could potentially make millillions and fast with a really surprisingly low chance of actually getting caught.
Speaker 1: When you have an incentive structure like that, Well, you're basically guaranteeing a boom in organized crime, it's inevitable.
Speaker 2: And organized is absolutely the word. To really get the scale here, you have to understand these aren't mostly individuals doing it for kicks anymore. No, this is organized groups. They operate globally, and honestly, they often mimic legitimate businesses.
Speaker 1: That comparison really struck me. In the research. We're talking actual ecosystems. Aren't we like networks of partners, distributors, maybe even franchise operations all working together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whether it's stealing credit card data or launching some complex ransomware attack, it's like business strategy, but for crime.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if it's a business, let's talk about the damage it causes. How do we even quantify that? It seems like it goes way beyond just the money they steal.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right, we need a proper framework for this. The sources break down the total cost to society into four main buckets.
Speaker 1: Okay, four buckets. I guess the most obvious costs are the ones we see up front, like the money we spend trying to stop attacks, and the money we lose when they succeed.
Speaker 2: That's where most people start. Yeah, and those are huge. You've got the anticipation cost, that's everything we spend before an attack happens, antivirus, software, security teams, training, all that defensive.
Speaker 1: Stuff, right, proactive measures.
Speaker 2: Then there's the consequence cost. That's the immediate hit, the money stolen, the data wiped out, maybe even physical damage if they hit critical infrastructure. The direct impact.
Speaker 1: So defense and direct loss, got it, But stopping there feels like we're missing a huge part of the picture. Which of these cost categories do you think people usually underestimate the most?
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely the next two. They deal with the fallout, the sort of longer term systemic damage. First is the response cost.
Speaker 1: Response cost so cleaning up the mess pretty much.
Speaker 2: Think about all the effort after the attack, investigations, court costs, law enforcement time. These are the since we count on to hold people accountable and frankly, they're overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. And the last one indirect cost. That sounds subtle, maybe.
Speaker 2: It is, but it's massive. Indirect costs is all that ripple damage. It's the hit to a company's reputation, it's people losing trust and doing business online, which then drags down revenues across the board.
Speaker 1: Ah, the erosion of trust exactly.
Speaker 2: So when you add it all up, the anticipation, the consequence, and these indirect costs, that's the real cost to society. And it's way way bigger than just the dollar amount stolen in any single attack. It's the price we pay for trying to keep the digital world trustworthy.
Speaker 1: Trust is definitely expensive. Yeah, Okay, let's shift gears a bit. How has this become so industrialized? You mentioned mimicking businesses. There's this concept called cybercrime as a service or katah that sounds key oh.
Speaker 2: Costs as a game changer. It's basically the great democratizer yep for criminals. It completely breaks the link between needing deep technical skill and being able to launch a really sophisticated attack.
Speaker 1: So you don't need to be a coding genius anymore, not at all.
Speaker 2: If you've got the money, you can just rent the tools or the infrastructure. You can even hire the expertise you need. It dramatically lowers the barrier to entry.
Speaker 1: It really does sound like I don't know, aws for the underworld, Like you can just pick and choose what you need off a menu.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy. Actually it's very segmented. You might start with say, initial access tools, meaning meaning people selling ways to get in like exploit kits, targeting known flaws or even zero days. Those are vulnerabilities nobody else knows about yet. Basically they're selling you the key to the front door.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you buy the key. Then what you need something to actually do the damage right precisely.
Speaker 2: Then you move up the menu to payloads. This is the actual malicious software, things like botnitz to control armies of computers, spyware to steal info, or rit's remote access trojans to take over a machine completely.
Speaker 1: That's the heavy machinery. And what if you're like totally non technical but still want to cause chaos, then.
Speaker 2: You go for the premium option full services. You can literally hire hackers, hackers for hire, or maybe the most infamous is DDAs as a service. They'll run the whole distributed denial of service attack for you. Start to finish.
Speaker 1: Wow, they even handle the logistics.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and they're enabling services too, things like manipulating search results to send people to fake websites, or designing convincing phishing pages. It's really end to end criminal support.
Speaker 1: This scale is just staggering. And to make it even more real, let's talk price tags. The research shows these underground markets have surprisingly specific price lists, usually paid crypto right for anonymity almost always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crypto makes tracing payments much harder.
Speaker 1: So what's a really shocking example from these price lists?
Speaker 2: For me, it's the cost of stolen identity info, credit card details. They can go for as little as two dollars, up to maybe ninety dollars for a high limit card with all the extra data.
Speaker 1: But two dollars two dollars for someone's financial identity. That's incredibly cheap, and that low price must mean huge volume exactly.
Speaker 2: It makes identity theft of volume business. And it's not just data renting. A dedo or ass attack that might only cost you sixty to ninety dollars an hour.
Speaker 1: Sixty bucks an hour to potentially take down a major website.
Speaker 2: That's the reality. When the price is that low, anyone with a grudge and a bit of cash can cause massive disruption. It fuels that whole can as.
Speaker 1: Model and things like ransomware are those expensive.
Speaker 2: To get, not necessarily the basic versions generic ransomware kits, you know, the software build itself maybe two hundred to two hundred and seventy dollars. Or buying compromise social media bots for spamming or manipulation rund one hundred and forty to two hundred and seventy dollars. It's cheap enough to be almost an impulse buy for a would be criminal. Classic low cost, potentially high reward.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this Kullias model is thriving, making crime easy and cheap. But it only works because, as you mentioned earlier, the digital world itself has some fundamental issues, problems that protect the attackers.
Speaker 2: That's the core of it. It really starts with the Internet's basic design. The source material calls it a major structural shortfall.
Speaker 1: Meaning it just wasn't built with today's crime in mind.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Think about the old phone system. It had tracking and billing built in from day one, right host to host communication was trackable. The Internet wasn't designed that way. It was built for openness and resilience, not for easily tracking every connection back to its source.
Speaker 1: That's the technical flaw. But then there's a huge legal and political problem layered on top. Isn't there the whole borderless crisis?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely. Cybercrime jumps borders instantly, but laws, law enforcement they're stuck within national boundaries, getting cooperation between countries, dealing with different legal systems, extradition, it's a nightmare.
Speaker 1: So the criminals operate globally, but the cops are stuck locally.
Speaker 2: That's a big part of it. It creates huge enforcement gaps.
Speaker 1: And while law enforcement is navigating red tape, the criminals are using specific techniques to cover their tracks. What's the simplest one. IP spoofing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, AKI spoofing is basic but effective. It's like sending a letter with a fake return address. You forge the source IP address on the malicious data packets.
Speaker 1: You send, so it looks like the attack came from somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Right. If the victim system tries to respond, the response goes to the innocent forged address the real attacker, they just disappear.
Speaker 1: Okay, simple impersonation. What about reflector hosts? That sounds a bit more complex.
Speaker 2: It's a step up. Think of a reflector host as an unwitting middleman, an intermediate computer. The attacker bounces their malicious traffic off this reflector towards the actual target.
Speaker 1: So the reflector gets the attack traffic.
Speaker 2: First exactly, and then it forwards it. If the victim responds, they respond to the reflector host, not the original attacker. It acts like a shield, making it look like the attack originated from that innocent third party server.
Speaker 1: Okay, using innocent bystanders as shields nasty. And the last technique mention is stepping stones. What's that about?
Speaker 2: Stepping stone involves creating a chain. An attacker compromises one computer, then uses that computer to log into a second compromised computer, that maybe a third.
Speaker 1: And so on, a whole chain of hacked machines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a connection chain. They launched the final attack from the last computer in that chain. So if anyone tries to trace it back to hit that last machine and maybe the one before it. But tracing the entire chain back to the original attacker is incredibly.
Speaker 1: Hard, especially if those machines are all different types in different places.
Speaker 2: Exactly, different operating systems, different network administrators, maybe spread across multiple countries. It makes forensic trace back a massive headache.
Speaker 1: So because criminals use all these clever ways to hide spoofing reflectors stepping stones. We need special tools just to figure out where attacks are even coming from. That's where trace back schemes come.
Speaker 2: In, right. Trace back is essentially trinked to bolt on the tracking capability that wasn't built into the Internet originally. It's about finding the true source of those malicious packets despite the evasion techniques. And how do they generally, Well, they're different approaches. Some involve trying to get routers along the path to log information about the packets passing through. Others involve actually marking the packets themselves as they travel.
Speaker 1: Marking the packets like putting a little digital tag on them sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You have things like probabilistic packet marking where routers randomly mark some packets with path information, yeah, or deterministic packet marking where maybe the entry router marks everything. The goal is the same, create a bread frumb trail.
Speaker 1: But it sounds like we're constantly playing catchup, trying to add tracking onto a system that was fundamentally designed not to be easily tracked.
Speaker 2: That's the fundamental pension. Yes, we're trying to retrofit accountability onto a system prized for its initial openness and well, anonymity to some extent.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's pull this together. Quick recap of the big takeaways. Cybercrime isn't hobbyists anymore. It's a professional, very profitable industry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a global enterprise using this as a service model to make sophisticated attacks accessible to all almost anyone with the cash.
Speaker 1: And it thrives because it exploits both the internets built in lack of tracking and the huge problems with international law enforcement cooperation.
Speaker 2: Blue risk, high reward built on systemic weaknesses. That's the grim picture.
Speaker 1: It really is stark. We want to leave you the listener with one final thought that ties right back to that core design issue we discussed.
Speaker 2: Remember how the Internet's original design didn't include those robust tracking and billing features like the old phone network. That wasn't an oversight. It was a choice for openness. But the consequence is this deep structural problem in identifying where attacks originate, which.
Speaker 1: Leads to a really challenging question for you to think about. If the Internet's very architecture was built in part to resist easy tracking of user behavior, can all our security patches, our detection systems, ever truly win this fight against borderless sophisticated cybercrime, or are we fundamentally fighting an uphill battle against the system's own design