Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Max Crosby has been re upped with your Las Vegas Raiders. Max Crosby, Defensive end of course, the face of the franchise, most could argue, has just signed a three year, one hundred and six point five million dollar extension, making him the NFL's top paid player in NFL history. Who is not a quarterback, big deal, a big a big Let's just say the Raiders solidifying that Max Crosby means the most to them and is the face of that team as he should be. That is an important position and he's an important guy for them, so good for them, Good for the Raiders. It is going to be a rough weekend for our Bald Eagle friends. I'm just saying this because it's obvious we're going to have rain today and tomorrow, and we've got baby Eaglitz up there in Big Bear, Jackie and Shadows babies. The concern is the storm that's headed. But everyone who is in the know, who works up there and Big Baron has eyes on Jackie and Shadow and the Baby says that Jackie knows how to protect the babies.
Speaker 2: She's been through storms before. She will keep them warm, no harm, no foul.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got breaking news when it comes to Washington's let's just get into swamp watch.
Speaker 3: Politician, which means I'm a cheap and a liar and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 2: The other side never quits. I'm not going anywhere. So that you train the squat, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been. You know, nervans have always been going.
Speaker 4: They're not stupid.
Speaker 5: A political plunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 3: Whether people voting for you were not swamp watch, they're all countered.
Speaker 1: Well, there were news reports this morning that Donald Trump was weighing plans to water down the tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico. Senior officials went to different media outlets, they spoke two different people saying that yes, one day after this economic strike on two of our biggest trading partners, there may be some sort of recalibrating on these tariffs because it didn't play out that great on Wall Street. As you can imagine, the aggressive trade strategy went into effect at midnight yesterday, targeting our two closest neighbors with duties of twenty five percent. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick saying that there could be carve outs coming as soon as today. JD Vance has a trip to the US Mexico border for this afternoon, and just moments ago the news hit that Trump is granting a one month exemption on his stiff new tariffs for US automakers. He met with the Big three this morning, Ford, GM and Stilantis and says we're going to give a one month exemption on any autos coming through. This was where you were going to see probably the biggest hike on new cars. As quickly as you were going to see hikes you talk about fifty cents on an avocado or something like that, you were going to see a thousands, thousands of dollars difference on a new car. And you know how much the relationship between it, the administration and the auto industry, how important that is. Retail giants predicted that prices are highly likely to start rising on store shelves almost immediately, and when you dug into the fresh polling when it came to American sentiment on inflation, saw that this was not going over well because remember that post election bump when consumer confidence was super high because Trump ran on making America America affordable again, and then all of this started, all of the concerns about will the prices go back up at the grocery.
Speaker 2: Store when they never really came back down? Right.
Speaker 1: Trump last night in his record breaking when you talked about length joint addressed to Congress, he acknowledged that the tariffs would cause a little disturbance, but we're okay with that, he said. He blamed the cost of living challenges on Joe Biden, that he inherited an economic catastrophe and inflation nightmare.
Speaker 2: Democrats.
Speaker 1: Their response to Yesterday's address and everything that's going on here was the quote I saw today, somebody slap me and wake me up. That was their reaction. Some Democrats did not even show up. Chris Murphy was one of them, a vocal senator from Connecticut. Those who did go were raising signs, black circular signs with white lettering that said things like musk steals, no kings, save medicaid false. And Trump kind of came out of the gate and made no bones about it, saying.
Speaker 2: That like he could.
Speaker 1: I've said this before too, he could cure cancer and Democrats would still hate him.
Speaker 4: This is my fifth such speech to Congress, and once again I look at the Democrats in front of me, and I realize there is absolutely nothing I can say to make them happy or to make them stand or smile or applaud. Nothing I can do. I could find a cure to the most devastating disease, a disease that would wipe out entire nations, or announce the answers to the greatest economy and history, or the stoppage of crime to the lowest levels ever recorded. And these people sitting right here will not clap, will not stand, and certainly will not cheer for these astronomical achievements. They won't do it no matter what five times I've been up here. It's very sad and it just shouldn't be this way, you.
Speaker 2: Know, And it was an odd thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's obvious, and the fact that he knows that it's good, I mean, I don't even know if you would take it seriously. If the Democrats cheered, I think a couple of them did with the tax cuts, or he tried to go them into applauding tax cuts at some point. But there was a lot of the right on social media this morning saying that the Democrats didn't even stand for the murdered people. You know, sometimes they'll have the guests of people that have been well murdered, whether it come whether it's drugs or illegal immigration or what have you, whatever the scourge is that ends lives, the people whose family and friends were killed by this, they are often guests for whatever political party at these major addresses, and Lincoln Riley's family was one of them, the young girl college student who was killed by the person here illegally, who was also a criminal aside from being here illegally. That the Democrats didn't stand in a plod and to me, even before those reactions started hitting and you know, make what you will out of them, I have no judgment on that, but it is odd to me. It was odd when I was watching it in real time, and it happens with both political parties where everyone stands up in applauds. Whoever shows up, whose loved member was killed for whatever tragic reason. It's a weird round of applause, isn't it. You want to support them, but applause to me seems off and odd and always cringey and uncomfortable. The other thing I noticed last night is years ago, they would pan to somebody in the audience, whether the president was talking about them or they wanted to see what the opposition was doing, how they were reacting, and nobody really knew the camera was on them. Well, in twenty twenty five, everybody is camera ready and backgrounds matter and everyone knows it. And they would pan to Robert Kennedy Junior. And the woman behind him is in full makeup, full glam squad, and she's smiling, and who the hell knows who she is, but she damn well knows she's on camera because she seated right behind our fk RFKA Junior. So I thought that was kind of funny. The things that amuse me when I'm learning about the state of the globe. All Right, we have some research, some news you can use. Do you feel bad about swearing? Have you tried to cut back on it? That is something too loud? I support you, and I think that that is great, but you may be hurting your health.
Speaker 2: I'm breaking news today to keep up with locally.
Speaker 1: La County now says it is suing Southern California Edison over the Altadena fire, alleging that so Cal Edison's utility their equipment.
Speaker 2: Sparked that fire.
Speaker 1: Of course, it destroyed more than ninety four hundred structures, killed seventeen people. The lawsuit is seeking to recover costs and damages sustained from the fire that damaged parks and homes, ruined environment, wildlife. All the things are laid out there. Additional cause incurred by county departments as well. You kind of saw this coming, but now the paperwork has been filled out there.
Speaker 2: It is a what you watch in Wednesday.
Speaker 1: And I gotta say, Deborah Mark, you and Amy King and my friend Doreen all mentioned Paradise to me. Yes, So I started it last night and I watched two episodes and I love it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's great. Just wait. It is so well acted.
Speaker 1: I mean, I love, I really do love all the actors in it, and they do such a great job and there is a fun little Usually I'm not a big fan of things that aren't plausible. Yeah, same, same, But this is just short of that that bar that I have.
Speaker 2: Usually it's sci fi stuff.
Speaker 1: But like I am out, I didn't know that you didn't like I hate. Yeah, I need to stand it. Same, yes, exactly. So this, this.
Speaker 2: Is just teetering on the dash of things. I'm like, I can kind of believe that maybe this could happen.
Speaker 1: But it's very good. It's emotional, it's suspenseful, it's fun. So let us know, I mean fun, not really, but it is good to watch. But let us know what you are watching and we will get to all those comments coming up in about an hour or so. Use the talkback feature on the iHeartRadio app. If you're listening on the app, just tap that microphone and let us know what you're watching. We talked yesterday about the documentary on Hulu, A Devil in the Family about Ruby Frankie, the monster mom that was deemed America's Mom by YouTube at one point for her YouTube channel eight. Through that documentary that was three parts. That was good as well, So let us know what shows have your attention right now. Well, I've seen research before that says swearing is good for you, but I've never seen this much research that came out this week about this topic. Allie Robertson is a psychology researcher at the University of Oxford and he says it's something that we all share and it really is magical that swearing holds so much power over us as societies. Richard Stevens takes it one step further. Richard Stevens is a researcher and senior lecturer in psychology at Keele University in England. He says swearing is a drug free, calorie neutral, cost free means of self help, a men to that. One of my friends sent me this Larry David snippet yesterday of him asking what rhymes with Mary directions to a restaurant, and he's in his car and he says, hey, Mary, take me to you know, Bob's Big Boy or whatever the restaurant was, and how she can't get it right, and he's trying to tell her more specifically where he wants the directions to go in the car and where the restaurant, and repeats the restaurant over and over and gets to the point where he is just sweat. He's saying the most vulgar awful things to his to his voice assistant, and it's freaking hilarious. I mean, I was crying because we've all kind of engaged in that behavior.
Speaker 2: Where you lose control completely.
Speaker 1: Whether it's dealing with Mamesa or Mary or any of these things, or the cars, tech support or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know, you've been that part.
Speaker 1: It's not just me, it's not just the Larry David Ryders. It's what happens when we're frustrated so often we go to the swearing place. Stevens this guy that I was talking about, Richard Stevens from Keeley University in England.
Speaker 2: He published the first study back in.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and nine linking swearing and hypo algesia that stands for a reduced sensitivity to pain. We talked about this research where subjects were asked to participate in a cold press or tax. They held their hands in ice water for as long as possible while repeating either a swear word of their choosing or a non swear word. Now in the experiment, it showed that swearing was associated with not only increased pain tolerance, but also decrease perceived pain. They could handle it longer and said it hurt less than the people who did not swear. In twenty twenty, they went on to take the study a step further. They investigated the use of the F word compared with a neutral word and two made up swear words, fouch and twizz pipe, and they found that this was linked with increased pain tolerance as well, but not when they used the phony words. They tried other things for or they tried other countries to see if this research held. They compared Japanese and English speakers. In Japan, swearing is not socially ingrained the way it is in Britain, so they didn't think it would have the same effect. Now in Britain, please, I mean you can say the C word as a salutation. They have it completely entrenched in their lexicon. Bless their hearts. Good for them, But it worked just as well regardless of the language Japan, Britain, English, whatever, swearing or America swearing was linked with greater pain tolerance. In addition, they found swearing has been linked to bolster social bonds, that it's been linked to improved memory in alleviation of the social pain of exclusion or rejection. You swear with people, it brings you together. They say that neurologically, the pathways for physical pain and emotional pain are the same, So when you have a heartbreak, it's the same neural structures, it's the same biological blueprint, and that's why it feels so visceral, because it literally is. They say swearing has also been shown through their science to be linked to an increase in strength. That in an anaerobic power test on a bike, swearing was linked with an improvement and participant strength.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: You want to get rid of swearing, maybe think about just cutting down a little bit because of health. Gary and Shannon will continue how med spas completely took over the country. This article in Bloomberg is fascinating. It's written from the New York perspective. In terms of walking down the street and seeing medspas every other block. You could say the same for Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Why is that? When did this all happen? Get you caught up on everything that's trending when we talk what is happening? Also, an update on the tariff talk.
Speaker 1: We've been expecting more tariff news to come out today because that is with the Commerce Secretary tease this morning when he went on Fox Business. The news is that President Trump is granting a one month exemption on his stiff new tariffs on imports from Mexico and Canada for automakers. He met with the Big three automakers Forward, GM, Stalantis today. He also told the CEOs that they should move production to the US. Building these cars in Canada and Mexico should move it to the US even though it's much cheaper to do so there. That's why it's done there. But any who's that's apparently what he said. He said in a statement that we spoke with the Big three auto dealers. We're going to give a one month exemption on any autos coming through.
Speaker 2: His press secretary did say.
Speaker 1: The President is opened hearing about additional exemptions. But Canadians Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is not willing to lift Canada's retaliatory tariffs if Trump leaves any tariffs on Canada. So still a bit of a stalemate there. Pope Francis, we have an update here. It is it's good news. I wouldn't be telling you if it was bad news. Well I would be, but I wouldn't be making a big deal out of it. Pope Francis has increased his physical therapy. They say his condition has remained stable today. Stable is good. Stable is better than guarded. Right on the hierarchy of conditions. The start of Lent is happening. He received ashes on his forehead. Is it ash Wednesday?
Speaker 4: Today?
Speaker 2: It's ash Wednesday?
Speaker 1: My god, I feel awful that I just realized that, and it's almost noon. I haven't seen anyone around here with ashes. Ps. That's usually the telltale sign. So I work with a bunch of heathens too. No ashes in the building so far. Anyway, he got the ashes, of course he did. He's the Pope. I mean he would be dead and get the ashes, right, don't you think, like if well, we don't have to play that game.
Speaker 2: But I think so. He called the parish priest as well. In Gaza.
Speaker 1: According to the Vatican, they said that the Holy Father suffered no respiratory crises during the day, that he's just getting oxygen through that nasal tube, which is not scary to see in the hospital, and that's good. He will resume the use of a non invasive mechanical mask for the night, so that's the ventilation he's been getting. The non invasive mass, so just an oxygen mask to help him sleep and get the oxygen. He's had the double pneumonia. He is eighty eight years old. He's had chronic lung disease in the past. He had part of a lung removed as a young man as well. But he participated in Ash Wednesday, got holy communion. He called the parish priest in Gaza. He's getting pt physical therapy. Now he may pull out of this, guys, the Pope may pull out of this.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, Bloomberg had a nice write up of medspas taking over America. We kind of talked about the popularity of these. It just keeps getting to be more. It feels like more and more. In fact, the data shows that according to the American med Spa Association, the industry expanded more than sixfold from twenty ten to twenty twenty three, grow six times more than six times in the past thirteen years or so billion multi billion dollar business. The article documenting how medspas took over America is in Bloomberg and they say, basically, this is at Park Slope in Manhattan or in New York City, but it really holds up for Los Angeles as well, the takeaway here is every block or two you'll pass another storefront advertising the latest in these esthetic enhancements. Medspas'll get that in Los Angeles as well. They have offers of all kinds for injections, botox, lip filler, fat dissolver, butt plumper. You don't have to walk around Alay to see all these things in action. Just turn on your television. It's everywhere.
Speaker 2: It's everywhere.
Speaker 1: If you go to the restaurants, you'll see it, and maybe not on a storefront, but you'll see it in the people's faces or in the people's butts. Cool sculp to m sculpt, sculpt, drud, all of these things to make you look better. They say that the average revenue per spa more than doubled in that timeframe where I said that the industry blew up six.
Speaker 2: Times what it was.
Speaker 1: The thing is this, you don't the bar is very low to kind of operate a med spa. They compare it to kind of a halfway point between a hair salon and a doctor's office. And they're staffed by people licensed to administer injections, but they kind of tend to.
Speaker 2: Look and feel more like than nail salon.
Speaker 1: Or the hair salon, nice wall sconces, you know, pretty curtains, things that match, maybe a candle. Not acting like I've been to one, but if I had been to a medspa, this is probably what you would see. People that you're talking to that are face to face with you are usually female, well dressed, maybe scrubs that are form fitting. This is the kind of esthetic that they're going for at medspas. And the barriers, Like I said, the bar is very low. As long as you're already licensed to perform basic medical procedures, you can get started in like a month or two.
Speaker 2: It's really quick.
Speaker 1: And when you look at the number of doctors who are kind of getting out of doctoring post COVID, they're doing concierge medicine.
Speaker 2: They're just harder to find.
Speaker 1: If you notice that a lot of them are pivoting to this medspall life. In fact, they're making more money filling your ass with filler than they were treating whatever real affliction you may have.
Speaker 5: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: App News We're falling for you Today, President Trump will most likely announced tariff compromise deals with Mexico and Canada soon. His converse secretary, Howard Lutnik, went on the morning shows Fox Business to be exact. Bloomberg as well said that it could be a scaling back, that the compromise with Canada and Mexico could come as soon as today. Trump is set to speak with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today, who said publicly that he thinks that the tariffs on Canada are stupid. We did hear that the President is going to be postponing the tariffs when it comes to autos coming in from Canada and Mexico as well for one month. So we will stay on top of that and break that all down for you coming up in the twelve o'clock hour after what's happening, because it has been a moving story throughout the day. Stocks, by the way, our responding, they are surging on Wall Street. We had back to back losses after the start of the week as the tariffs were announced. Now that Trump has announced the exemption for automakers, the Dow has Reacted has been up more than five hundred points today, S and P five hundred, up over one percent, and the Nasdaq has been up more than two hundred and fifty points.
Speaker 2: There did you hear about.
Speaker 1: The guy in or Lando that stole all that jewelry from Tiffany? Guy in Orlando accused of stealing nearly seven hundred and seventy thousand dollars worth of jewelry from Tiffany and swallowing it. Ouch jaythan Glider is his name. He pretended to represent an Orlando Magic player to gain access to the private viewing area in Tiffany's. He fled the scene, was stopped, and when he was stopped in Washington County there in Florida, he allegedly swallowed the earrings. He was arrested on multiple charges, including grand theft and larceny. You know, it's funny, this is how much I don't know about jewelry, especially high end jewelry.
Speaker 2: I read that he stole seven hundred.
Speaker 1: And seventy thousand dollars worth of jewelry, and I'm thinking of like bags of jewelry. I'm thinking about like these seventeen necklaces and earrings and bracelets and like all of this stuff. I mean, what could cost seven hundred and seventy thousand dollars must.
Speaker 2: Have been How did he swallow all that?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what happens your system after you swallow all those rocks? Dude swallowed a pair of earrings. Like a pair of earrings are seven hundred and seventy thousand dollars?
Speaker 2: How big were those earrings?
Speaker 1: Well, now that I'm thinking about it, you know, on the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, Erica Jane's diamond studs were seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars. She caught hell for not giving those up in the litigation where her husband Tom Girardi was in trouble for fleecing all of his clients and stealing their money after he settled with the airlines that crashed with their relatives on board. She wouldn't give up those earrings. They were like this big bone of contention, and they were beautiful diamond studs, and they were seven hundred and fifty grand for the pair.
Speaker 2: They're probably ten carrots each. Yeah, I have no idea. Yes, I think my bring my wedding ring, which by the way, was a family heirloom. I think it's like maybe a carrot or something, so ten of them. Yeah, that's I mean, I don't know how diamonds work. Well, you have the clarity, the cut, the carrot.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's there's different things that go into the cost of a diamond. The celebrities, I mean, there's are perfect quality and they're so expensive and they're huge.
Speaker 1: Can you tell, like, can you tell a difference like if you see like if if there's a ring that's clarity is the best it can be as opposed to like middle clarity.
Speaker 2: Again, I don't know. I mean, if you're.
Speaker 3: Looking very closely, right, you can tell a beautiful, nice diamond, and then you can if you look at something that's very cloudy or you can see the.
Speaker 2: Carbon in there, and then you can tell that that it's horror.
Speaker 3: But Shannon, now people are really into the lab diamonds.
Speaker 1: Oh, the ones that you don't kill people in Africa for yes, God, yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: They are grown in a lab and they're a lot less money and lots of jewelers can't even tell if there if this is a natural stone and this is a lab created stone.
Speaker 2: So they they don't charge it through the nose with the lab growns. Now, they're a lot less, a lot less. Wow. Yeah, do you have any of these?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Don't?
Speaker 3: I don't, but I know a lot of people by them now, people that are getting engaged younger people because they're they're thinking, well, wow, you.
Speaker 2: Have a lab grown one, Kana. Yeah, there you see, let me see my ring is dirty?
Speaker 1: Well, let me see, because I clearly know what I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: You know, it's one hundred beautiful.
Speaker 1: This looks like one of those classic classic family heirloom type diamonds as well.
Speaker 2: That's what I was going for. Yes, this looks beautiful.
Speaker 1: I don't know what la it came from, but I support it. Okay, we're talking about med spas and they have just blossomed.
Speaker 2: They're everywhere, and they charge you through the.
Speaker 1: Nose, like the diamonds that kill people, not the lab diamonds. For these injectables, Botox cool sculpting laser facials. Hundreds of dollars are charging for this. It's that whole race to look younger. Ask Demi Moore about it. The substance is all about that kind of a thing and before that death becomes her right. We will do anything for that holy grail of youth, and they are going to exploit that every day and twice on Sunday. Like I was mentioning before the break, barriers to getting into the medspa game very low. If your license to perform basic medical procedures.
Speaker 2: You are in.
Speaker 1: Buying neurotoxins, fillers, injection supplies very easy, very inexpensive. Renting a salon suite nothing, Essentially, you can hire employees, get your own space. You can buy more expensive equipment to do that cool spa type things. Medspas or cash businesses, which means they avoid the expense and the red tape of the American health insurance bureaucracy. And also you're getting a lot of investors involved among well, let's just see. Many establishments have added the GLP one weight loss shots as well, which is also bloomed business. But there are a lot of private equity firms that are backing these medspas.
Speaker 2: Now, I mean, we may have hit the boom.
Speaker 1: Who knows if the pendulum swings the other way when it comes to injectables and botox and fillers. I kind of feel like it's already swung the other way. You've seen celebrities go on their social channels and talk about how they've taken fillers out of their face. They're kind of rejecting that. Now the big butt, the big lips, that was a moment in time, and now the pendulum is slowly swinging away from that, although there are still firm believers in the firm areas that I mentioned. But I do think that in terms of MEDSPA, we may have hit peak, we may have passed peak MEDSPA.
Speaker 2: And we may be moving the other area.
Speaker 1: But man, have they been a able to cash in on our insecurities? And is it that or is it make you feel good? You go to the MEDSPA, you get your cool sculpt. I've seen it done on the Housewives and they seem to be happy. It looks painful, though, what is the cool spot?
Speaker 2: I did that?
Speaker 3: I did the cool skuld sing Yeah, many many years ago because I was working at another radio station and so I did it as kind of an endorsement.
Speaker 2: It was painful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did one of those for an endorsement here, and I will say I loved the results. It was a facial situation where they use lasers to kind of get rid of age. Spots and things like that, Holy hell did it work. I mean my skin looked like porcelain. It looked like every This is before filters. This is like ten years ago, so it's before Instagram filters and how everyone's filtering every picture. Now, this is like it was it life filters. My my face was porcelain. There was no spots at all. But going through it, I was crying, Oh, like, I don't take pain well at all, and I would.
Speaker 2: It showed. I mean, it hurt, the laser thing.
Speaker 1: It hurt, and I got to say for a day after, I look like Brad Pitt revident.
Speaker 2: I mean it was not good. I was wearing a.
Speaker 1: Ball cap and glasses and I was just like, don't And it only lasted a day or so and then came that perfect skin. It's worth it a day of pain, Yeah, I mean I understand that thought process. I am not one of those people, at least right now, that believes in that.
Speaker 2: Give me a call.
Speaker 1: In a couple of years, I may become that person, but right now I would not go through the pain for my skin to look that good again.
Speaker 2: I'll go through it. Somebody wants to pay me, I'll do it.
Speaker 3: My hands raised.
Speaker 2: I want skin. I'll tell you where to get it.
Speaker 5: Okay, you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app