Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day, Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are get off our show. Idiots.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing the trail off your cultures are.
Speaker 1: Screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee? Well, not exactly, Nick Coffee. Bye, I'm Scott Fitzgerald. Ay welcomed me back, and they they didn't shut me out, they didn't change the locks. They brought me back in. Always a pleasure to be here, of course with the great John Alden, who is down in studio. John, how are you, buddy? Good afternoon. I'm feeling good on a Monday, oh man. Great to be back in here, because one, it is nice and cool in here. It is I think it's I'm looking at temperature Gage. He's seventy one in this studio right now, and the mugginess outside is I guess it's. I won't say it's the worst it's ever been, but with all the moisture, all the rain we've had come through. It's it's a lot. Oh, it's it's crazy. And that's why I was telling the family to keep the house closed up because let me tell you something, man, I stress hard over the the AC going out. And nothing kills Nacy like humidity. It's different if you have a dry heat, but when that AC is working overtime trying to keep that humidity out of here, man, it feels. And my AC just died in my car too. I gotta get it. Oh gosh. So yeah. So it's a pleasure to be sitting in seventy one degrees in this studio. It's great. But great to see you again, brother. How you been. I've been doing good.
Speaker 3: I went to Potoka Lake over the weekend. Enjoyed some time with the family up in Indiana. I haven't been down to the lake this year, so it was a good weekend. Got to enjoy being now on the boat. It's not something I do a lot often anymore, but you know, I enjoyed the time.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 3: What kind of boat a pontoons really old pontoon as a matter of fact, and the kind.
Speaker 1: Of the big silver pontoons on the bottom.
Speaker 3: It's one of those things where sometimes you started up and you may it may or may not go all the way through. You may have some issues, and we did have some issues getting back off the water. But you know, a little taking the top of the motor off of the back of the boat and doing a cold start.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I've fix things right up, and that's what happened. Do you guys have like the like that artificial grass that they have on pontoon boats. No, so it's not. We don't have the astro terminal they call we. It's just it's just regular carpet. I believe, sweet, what a good time that is? Man? Well good. So you got a chance to get away, and as I hope a lot of folks did, because my wife was saying to me, not last weekend, but it was the weekend before. My wife was telling me that no matter where we went there there wasn't a soul to be found. Stores were dead, church was dead. I mean there wasn't. And I said, I have said, everybody's taking those last vacations. They're they're taking the last bit of summer breaks, much like what you did trying to get away because a lot of schools, a lot of Indiana schools went back this week. And that's what Nick's doing, is he's vacation. Yeah, see exactly. And as my daughter, she's a teacher, she teaches. She taught second grade last year, she's teaching first grade. That's where she was all day today, trying to put her room back in order, getting set for the school year. So it is that time, and man, do we have a lot to talk about. Sports wise? We've got a lot going on right now. I've got the I got the peacock up in the studio. I've got the four sports that are up here now. Women's basketball is underway. Team USA is opening up play against Japan. We've got women's rugby sevens, which is awesome. Big swimming events going on right now, and I'm gonna not give you. If I do give a score, I will tell you we're gonna do a spoiler alert because I know some people are waiting maybe till they get home for primetime tonight, and I don't want to ruin that for anybody. But a lot of swimming is out there, and an event that I'm trying to make out what this is. I watched a little bit of the surfing, because you know, they host the surfing in Tahiti, so it's like and I was looking word to heat. I mean, I knew Tihiti was out there, but I didn't realize it was way out there. It's like in the middle of nowhere. And so they had people riding around on what looked like, I don't know, jet ski's doing that thing. The surfing's kind of interesting when you watch that, and it's kind of relaxing. I remember I was laying up on the bed this weekend watching surfing. It's kind of it's different. It's a different, different breed. But we'll talk about that. And then coming up later in the show, Man do we have a lot of stuff to talk about. We'll have Belloman women's basketball coach Chancellor Dugan is going to join us. She's going to talk a little bit about the state of women's college basketball, in the state of women's sports in general. I mean, women have seen just an influx. And we talked a little bit about this when I was in last time, John and I broke it down, and women's sports are just off and running. Look at the women's soccer team, I mean, where are they on fire right now, and so she's got some things to say about that. She's got some things to say about Nil, so we'll talk to her. We have TBT coming up tonight TVT Madia. We're gonna break that down as we go through the through the day as well. Have you been following TVT John, Yeah, so my Indiana Hoo.
Speaker 3: They had their own team in it for a little while Assembly Ball they bowed out in the round of sixteen. But down here, man, we got the vill We've got La Familia. And I don't know if you've been paying attention to the crowds that have been in attendance in Freedom Hall, Scott, but it has been some of the most exciting stuff to see, especially when you consider the lack of excitement you've seen for Louisville basketball over the last two years. It's kind of a precursor to what a lot of people are hoping to see when the actual college basketball season.
Speaker 1: Comes around this fall. Absolutely, And you know what's funny about that is I was trying to I was basically comparing apples to oranges. Tony and I were talking about that. I was geeking the USFL hard when it was coming back because see, I grew up around the Michigan Panthers and they were the successful team when they came to that Bobby Abart. They had, I mean, just some players on that team. Anthony Carter was your wide receiver. And this was at a time when the NFL Stars were in the USFL. I mean, I remember when the New Jersey General's got Hershcha Walker and they brought him in. So it was really something to write home about, and I was geeking it. So when it came back, I was like, oh, this is awesome. And then after a while it just kind of got to be okay. It was it was it was a fun sugar rush for a while, and then the Panthers weren't as good as the old Panthers. So where I'm going with that is I kind of see what Louisville fans are up against now. I mean, that program had fallen so far and then and then you bring back the Peyton Sivas. You know, the glory days when when Louisville went for that national championship, and those were that's what you remember. So you latch onto that as fast as you can. And now they're winning in the TBT, and that even adds it's like pouring gasoline on the fire. So I totally understand why Louisville fans are geeked. My question is, and we're seeing this in other markets, now, do you still watch the TBT once your team loses? Because somebody's going home tonight, whether it be Kentucky's team or whether it be Louisville's team, somebody's going home tonight. So do you still watch the DVT? We still watch the championship.
Speaker 3: I feel like I feel like most people, and I'll just speak from experience. I mentioned my team was already knocked out. I have paid less attention to it now. I do know since the Round of sixteen occurred, there's been a bit of a break, so there hasn't been a lot to really take in. But I feel the hurt isn't the same whenever your alumni team loses as when you know, compared to whenever your actual team loses during the actual college basketball season. So one thing Nick laid out last week is he wonders what the you know, kind of the rivalry banter will be like whenever one of these teams wins and one of them loses. Is the losing team just going to shrug it off and be like, yeah, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: It's not my actual.
Speaker 3: Team, or and will the winning team truly take the bragging rights to the next level like they actually do whenever the actual college team wins. So that'll be an interesting case study to take a look at whenever this game comes to an end tonight.
Speaker 1: Hey, you're right, And I think that's a great observation because what happened was when the Michigan Panthers stopped winning, I kind of just turned it off and I was like, yeah, And to be honest with you, when they merged now with the UFL, I didn't watch any of it, you know. And and before it was cool because it was you know, Jeff Fisher was coaching the Panthers, and in fact, even the Detroit Lions signed the Michigan Panther kicker. And I mean the USFL, the UFL whatever they're calling it now, really has turned into kind of a developmental league for the NFL, which is what a lot of people were looking for. And there's good talent coming out of this that are going into the NFL. Now. They're not going to go and start, mind you, but they're they're using this as a springboard and I'm just not watching it like I used to, which you know, makes me wonder if if TBT, I if the vill or Law Familiar come out next year, if they're back, which I would assume they're going to be back. They're two very successful programs, two of the most successful programs in the TBT. And the TBT is is this isn't an overnight league. This is the eleventh season for this thing. I mean, and they got national TV contracts last year was ESPN, this year as Fox. You know, they've got it going on and it's not going away anytime soon. I think it's a very cool league, I really do. I love the fact that they do the alumni like, for instance, John You're and I you guy, And for you to be able to see guys like Jogi Farrell come back.
Speaker 3: Yes you know that's up twenty four points in one of his games, right say, And you don't really expect to see happen, and then it does, and it's kind of a nostalgia trip.
Speaker 1: Bingo, and it gives you a chance to kind of go back into that and take a look. My question is, will you be watching if your team comes out next year and they don't win, and let's just say that, you know, this runs its course because players get older, A lot of things happened, none of that. I mean, I don't want to poo poo anybody's excitement tonight because it is a big night at Freedom Hall. In fact, I checked Ticketmaster before we came on the air. There are seats available, still plenty of them, but they're in the corners now at Freedom Hall. They're in the corners and up in the end zones. Thirty three dollars will get you in the door. So if you're on your way home tonight, you're melon and going, hey, you want to go to the game night, thirty three bucks is going to get you in the door. One of the things we talked about on the show with Tony Cruz this morning was that the nice thing about Freedom Hall is you don't feel like you're walking almost straight up when you sit in that section. I remember when my daughter was really young, we took her out when UCLA and Steve Lavin came to town and we sat all the way very last time. I think it was like section three twenty nine or something like that. I'm thinking to my wife. I God, we had nosebleed seats, and yet well we sat there. It wasn't After being at the Yum Center, it really wasn't that bad. There are events that my wife will not go to at the Young Center if we're upstairs because she will literally get dizzy. And I'm hearing now that that is a common complaint in stadiums across the country. It's not just a Young Center thing. It's all these new stadiums are building because they build them so steep up high that people go in and they're just like, I can't sit up here. Joe, who produces for on Saturdays, she can't go to a Young Center event if she's sitting in the upper deck because it's too high. So when you go to Freedom Hall, the nice part about Freedom Hall is it's got that slow incline that you sit up. You're a little further away, but it's got that slow incline, and I think that's an even trade off for folks. But it certainly looks good on TV. Now they have the Lake Game tonight. They're nine o'clock. If I'm not mistake, yeh, it's nine o'clock tip. And what happens is that the seven o'clock is. I think it's the Ohio State alum. Yeah, it's the Ohio State alum that are going to go. Prior to that, Carmen's crew is going to play takeover BC. Here's something my son brought up something to me while we were watching the game too. Would you like to see double elimination in the TBT or do you like the idea that it's.
Speaker 3: Just single I think I don't think double elimination is necessary. I think the way that they do it is great. And one thing too that we haven't hit on yet, the elm ending, I think makes this tournament all that much more exciting. Get familiar with the elam ending a thing you are, yes, so where you have the you get to the final four minutes. For those who are unfamiliar, maybe tuning in for the first time tonight, the elam ending is when you're in the final quarter of the game. This game, these games are played in quarters, not halves like college basketball. When you get to the under four the first stop at under four minutes, the clock is turned off and they set a target score, and the target score is eight points greater than the team that has the lead. So if it's sixty to fifty eight, the target score then becomes sixty eight, and that's how you win the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's I'm with you in that. I like that. That makes it fun because when you saw Montrez Harrald go to the line, that just made it all that more exciting because then those free throws really meant something. You can't go up there and you can't just you know, kind of bank them up there. So look at some of the stats. Now here's some of the teams still live that you have in the tvt You have the Happy Valley Hoopers are taking on ebra Lean Drive. That obviously is the Penn State group we mentioned takeover BC and Carmen's Crew, and it's the Forever Koog's, which is the Houston alumni alumni taking on perhaps the most original name in TBT, team Colorado Keep it Basic, Yeah, featuring guess what the Colorado alumni. I didn't know Colorado had that many famous alumni that played basketball.
Speaker 3: I didn't know Penn State had that many alumni, right, I don't neither basketball.
Speaker 1: To your point, I did not either. When you start comparing the two teams head to head, the villain La Familiar are twelfth and fifteenth. When it comes to field goal shooting at forty seven point five percent and forty seven point three percent, La Familia is pointing up eighty six points per game to the vill seventy seven. La Familiar has the fourth best three point shooting percentage, with the vill at thirteenth. You know that we seen Cantor and La Familia turns it over on average nine times per game to the Ville's eight point three. So when you start looking at those numbers, then you go to the individual numbers. Kareem Cantor is so se in TBT in shooting. He's shooting just under seventy seven percent with sixty seven points. Eric Bledsoe comes in at tenth with fifty three points, and the well the former Trinity Shamrock David Johnson leads developed fifty points. He's shooting right at fifty percent. That's good for thirteenth in the league. So when it comes to game averages, Kareem Cancer is also second in the league. He's shooting about twenty two point three. Bled SE's tenth was seventeen point seven, then David Johnson's sixteen point seven, so they sound pretty evenly matched tonight and it should be a good game. It should, you know, it's hard to say though, it's TBT.
Speaker 3: If you're looking at spreads. One thing Nick talked about spreads last week. They have an updated spread right now La Famlia Kentucky's team currently favored by five points. I would take a little to cover that spread.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely. Well, it's rivaly, yeah, rivalry, and you know, and that's what we've seen in the Olympics. And it's interesting because I was listening to some of the players talk who had played in the past, and they said, believe it, because you think these guys will come in and gals and they play for big money contracts. There's a lot on the line. Everybody wants an NBA championship. But and this is something that's reflected worldwide. Dude, you put a name on the front of that jersey, like USA or Serbia in the case of Nikola Jokic, they said, that changes the dynamic that just you're just you're there. It's a bigger purpose. I mean, you have all the money in the world, you don't need, you're not playing for bonus. But boy, when you put that USA, and especially if your team USA with the history and tradition that the Dream Teams have, which I think USA is going to win gold in men's and women's hands down. Now they're going to be pushed. They're gonna be pushed, but they're gonna win gold. And what's cool about basketball is in the cool thing. Why I say that is basketball has become such an international sport, which is what you want. You want your game to grow internationally because that's more balls. Anytime you get the world playing your game, that's awesome. And we started to see this with the original Dream Team and now the rest of the world is starting to catch up. And that's why. I don't know if you watched the game Sunday, but that's the team USA got that slow start against Serbia. I mean, that's not a bad team. There's some talent there, and then they pulled away. And right now I'm watching Team usas women and they're up by four against Japan in the first quarter. I mean, people around the world are playing basketball, and there's good players that play basketball. So basketball is always fun for me. In the Olympics, it's one of my favorite sports. And the beauty is we have the we had the peacock app and I love that app because yesterday we were in the house. I was doing some stuff upstairs, my wife was downstairs. My wife and daughter are gymnastics swimming kind of people. I'm more like. I like the boxing. I like the basketball. I also like to watch other sports that I haven't watched before I get in to watch. I can watch a few, except for maybe beach volleyball. Not a beach volleyball. Oh, so what is it? Why don't you like beach volleyball. I don't know. I fake volleyball. Well, it's no, and I love real volleyball. I love real volleyball, and I think we can talk about that later, because that's getting to be a bit that's gonna be a big thing right here in Louisville, coming up here at the end of this well, as we flipped the calendar over to August. But for me, beach volleyball, to your point, it's just it's beach volleyball. It seems more casual, right. It's just I don't know why I'm not there with it, because I love the game and I love I love the whole thing about volleyball, and I love my son actually played they had boys teams when he was coming up through elementary school, they had boys teams that played. And I wish the male game would transcend that it just loses something I guess along the way, and then the ladies pick up. But when I watch real volleyball, it's it's such an exciting sport. It keeps you on the edge twenty four to seven. So I'll end up watching stuff like I watched a little volleyball this afternoon. Swimming I can. I can do swimming. I just have to be in the right mood for swimming. I you know, I have to be like if you start getting into like the fifteen hundred meter relay, I'm like, dude, okay, how long is this thing going on for? And and it's like and I tried. I tried today. I did try handball. I tried handball. That's another one. I can't get my hands wrong. It just doesn't sink fun intended. You're right, it doesn't sink up with me. As a hockey guy, I'm seeing hockey, but I'm watching people run around without a stick in a part, and I'm used to seeing that. My brain is making the disconnect. But I have enjoyed the rugby sevens, both men and women. That's been a lot of fun. I'm a big rugby guy, so I like the fifteen game. The sevens are fun. I get why the world loves sevens because it moves faster, and you know, to me, rugby is the way that football is supposed to be played. That's where we get the touchdown from. Because in rugby, when you score, you literally have to put the ball down. You have to touch it down in the end zone. I think rugby moves. I think the ladies have come a long way in rugby. I mean they have crystallized their game. Those are some athletes that play. I watched a lot of the ladies, so you know. But the nice thing is in today's technology, in twenty twenty four, you can see anything you want. You can watch any sport you want. And I encourage everybody. I was telling my son this the other day. I said, I encourage you sit down with the sport you'd never watched before. You may not like it, but sit down with it and take it in and keep an open mind. Saying with the opening ceremonies, you know, I mean, dude, I had to get off social media during the open ceremonies. What do you think of Goji era? Right? Right? Well, look it's everything. Is the beauty of the opening ceremonies at the Olympics is it's it's supposed to paint a picture for you of the host nation, and it's a lot of it's art, and last I checked, art was subject to a lot of interpretation. And let's be honest, there's people on social media. If you told them they want ten million dollars, people on social media still plain about it. Some people, some people on social media are just never happy. No matter what I mean, it doesn't matter. I thought France hit a home run, I mean, and I said the same thing about China because it gives you a chance to sort of sort of see the country through their eyes. Although the Metallica tribute band was something, I mean, it was okay, it was a Metallica tribute band, is what I saw. Apparently this group that played is really good. I mean they're very popular, yes, so that they'll be it Louder than Life this fall too. They're not headlining any of the days, but they're one of the more popular meta from Europe. I totally get it. No, and I can respect that one hundred percent. But when I saw it, I didn't know who they were, so I'm like, oh, this is Metallica and that's he That's one thing that bothered me. Don't play a cover song. If you go out there and you're gonna have your big moment on a stage like that, play your own music. Yeah, yeah, no, it is I thought. I thought they hit a home run. I thought they did a fantastic job in the opening ceremonies. But like I said, not everybody's happy, and you know, it's okay. These games were they most watched since twenty twelve London Games the opening ceremonies, and everybody's kind of in agreement that the London Games had one of the best opening ceremonies because I remember it was Daniel Craig was there, he was James Bond and people raved and raved about that. And so everybody tuned in to watch this. And we're going to crunch some numbers when it comes to the Olympics coming up later on in the show. And there's a reason why there are so many eyeballs. There's a reason why everybody wants to advertise on the Olympics. People watch this stuff The problem is is if you hang around on social media during the Olympics, all you hear is the people winding and complaining I'm not watched. Well, then to watch that was my thing. If because I like, look, I'll scroll social media. It doesn't bother me any tie, I get tired of it and then I'll put the phone down. But people were going out of their way to complain about the opening ceremonies. Well, if it bothers you that much, just don't watch, just tune out. There's plenty of other stuff on TV. And part of it I'm a little biased too though, because I spent the summer in ninety four in France. I was posting on an X during the ceremonies. We did a big battlefield tour the World War One battlefields and World War II battlefields and got to see a lot of France, and to me, it's a fantastic country. It's a country that's a proud country. And you know, if you can get past that cheesy freedom fry thing we did whatever that was back then, and you really do your history and look into the history of the French, there's some pretty badass people. I mean, they've been through a lot, and they really found their way and France has France has bailed us out enough times. So long story, short, salute to you France. As far as I'm concerned, in the Olympics have already been a success. We'll talk about that in more. Hey, we're just getting started on Scott Fitztreil filling in for the vacationing Nick Coffee. He is John Holden there in studio, he playing the tunes for us. We're gonna come back after this on Sports Talk seven ninety right, it is welcome back. I'm Scott Fitstruim filling in for the vacationing Nick Coffee. John Alden is in studio, he playing those hits for us.
Speaker 3: Who do we have there's John, It's Mark Chestnut Monday traditions.
Speaker 1: We always come back with our first break with it. Sure is Monday. Oh man, you're right, sure enough, because yeah, last time I was in I filled in, it was a Thursday Friday. I think, Oh that was nice. Yeah, I forget it's Monday. I gotta move through the week. I gotta press them on through the week. And you know that begs the question there, John, and that is there's been a push for a four day work week. There has been the question is if you get a four day work week, because I know a lot of places go to four days, like they leave early on Fridays in the summer. If if you have a four day work week, would you rather have that extra day on a Friday or a Monday.
Speaker 3: I think that's a good question. I think i'd rather have. I think i'd rather the work week be a Monday through thirty. I'd still keep them Monday. Sure, it just doesn't seem right to start the week on a Tuesday. But that's just my mental you know how. I've always seen it as maybe it wouldn't matter to certain people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, And to your point, I I hate the fact because I love the NFL and I cannot wait for Sunday Night football. But the problem is I can't never stay up to watch it because I have to come in here. It's a good point. And when I get up, you know, my bedtime's eight thirty. I get to bed at eight thirty. Usually by about twenty after eight, I'm asleep on the couch, dog hops up in my lap, I'm dozing off. I'm up to bed. I'll watch about five minutes of Frasier on the TV, and I'll roll over and fall asleep. Now don't hear anything until I wake up in the morning to come in here. Which, don't get me wrong, I like so I think for me to have Mondays, especially in a fall, that would be nice because then I could stay out watch Sunday night football. See Fridays, I'm always going to bed early anyway too, because I come in and do the show on Saturday. You make a good case though for having Monday. But you know, but then in the summertime, but but yeah, you know when they're saying, even my wife and never we're talking about that sometimes though in the summertime, it's nice though when you don't have that Monday you have to get up with. But to your point, to be off on a Friday, that's nice. See, my wife lives for the pool. She could take her book and sit at the pool all day and that's one of her favorite things to do, is just go and sit at the pool on a Friday. She loves because they have half days on Fridays, so she gets to go to the pool. And then she'll usually call me and say, hey, you know you want to do uh you want to do a happy hour on Friday. And I can't relax on a Friday for a happy hour because I know I got to get up. Even if I have like one beer on a Friday, I'm like, it just doesn't sit right with me, you know. So I go to the gym Friday. When I get off, it tires me out. I go to bed early, I get up, I come in here on Saturday, and then Saturdays are my day and bluntney Saturdays of the day, I can just know, I go ahead, it's my free day. I don't go crazy eating wise, but I eat a little bit more liberally than I do any other day. And then I'm just relaxed. And the same with Sunday. That's that's the part for me. And here's the one thing.
Speaker 3: If you if you eliminate going to work on a Monday, then you eliminate the Sunday scaries, which I think people suffer from.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. And I know a lot of people that suffer from those days. I don't mind them. I don't mind them because one, I enjoy what we do here. So when I get up, like I usually spend part of the day Sunday preparing for the show on Monday when I jump. So when I come in here, I'm pretty much good to go. I've done a lot of prep already, so I just dial that up and I kind of find tune things in the morning, and so when we hit the airwaves like we did this morning, I'm ready to go and boom, We're off and running. So I personally don't have the Sunday scaries. I have the more Sundays. Oh, I really want to watch this game, and I don't want to go to bed, and the problem is I, you know, I have to do. So I think Monday would be nice. I think people can kind of ease into the week a little bit easier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And here's the other argument though, that I think of. I feel like if I'm off every Monday, and I'm sure it would eventually become old hat obviously after enough time of it, but at first, I feel like having off every Monday would make it harder to get back into Like, oh, I actually have to go back to work tomorrow now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it does. It really does. To your point, I go and you and I were talking about this in the Joys of juggling two gigs. Yes, I find myself when I'm off during the week, I kind of I'm out of sorts. I'm not a whack. I have a pattern. I do what I do here, I go do the other gig. I do what I do there, and then I go to the gym. So when I come home, the day's been a good burn. And I think everybody can kind of feel that a little bit. You know, you go and then like if you have slow days at work and you're not doing it a lot, it's almost harder to kind of relax, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 3: You may be sitting there wondering, like you may feel like that you need to be more productive than you actually actually are, and so it maybe it kind of feels like you have that itch, but you don't know where to scratch it at right exactly.
Speaker 1: And see, I didn't have that problem. See Saturday, I was just telling my daughter, I love my Saturdays. Saturdays. I get kind of a hall pass from my wife because she knows how you work six days a week. You get up as early as I do. I can come home Saturday, I'll knock off the show, clean up some production, go to the gym, come home, be home by noon. Sit in the chair and turn the ball game one. And my wife gives me a hall pass on that because she knows that work hard. Now, yesterday, like Sundays, I get up Sundays clean the house from top to bottom. Like yesterday was deep cleaning the bathroom day. There's nothing I hate more than clean it batho. Dude, that is so nasty. You don't realize how nasty your family is until you start cleaning bathrooms. But I go in and I deep clean the bad boys because my wife won't do it. She's already said, she goes, I can't. I can't do it. It grosses me out. I said, well, you do it every week. It's not that bad, but yeah it's And I have I have a family where they lose they the hair keeps cut, you know, the hair falls out. Oh yeah, that's my wife. She's the same way, right, And so like you're like white hair away and then it comes back. It's like out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: So your dog, our dog sheds like no tomorrow. So not only do you have the wife hair to deal with, we've also got the shedding dog hair.
Speaker 1: That's all over the place. What kind of dog do you all have?
Speaker 3: So she is a mix between an Australian shepherd and honestly, that's that's the only thing we know for sure. She kind of looks like she may have some some German shepherd in her as well. But she's also only forty pounds. She's really small and pretty pretty long and lanky. Yeah, but she she's you know, she's.
Speaker 1: The perfect size for us. So but she does shed a bunch, so you got to clean that up, so you know, when you when you get to all that. I guess the thing that I'm going for is lately on TikTok, somebody's I've been getting feeds in my TikTok the soun the nap Sundays because of you know, they play the Joe Buck SoundBite Fox NFL. I mean, dude, there you got in it. There's nothing greater than a crisp Sunday afternoon. Man, You're sitting on the couch and you kind of doze off and then you wake back up middle of the game, doze off a little bit, wake back up. I mean, those are the best.
Speaker 3: And I'd say what, I cannot wait. I know we're still a couple of months away from this, but I love when I can open the windows in the house. Oh yeah, exactly what you're talking about, because it feels like you're you're kind of outside, but you're not. You're letting the fresh air and you don't have to run the air conditioner. It's something that you only get in September, really towards the end of September, a little bit of October. But once you get into the thick of fall, you head towards November and Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: That stuff's done until the spring. That's exactly right, you know. And then and then you make that trip Hubers. Our is our most in our house that is non negotiable in every level. I mean, our family literally gets geeked out, Like when we're going to Heubers. Everybody's so excited all week and we go up there. You know, I hear people complain about the crowds all the time. Maybe it's because our kids are old now that I don't really know. I mean, I noticed there's a big crowd up there, but I don't notice it like I did when my kids were younger, If that makes any sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think maybe that could be a product of post COVID. I do feel like a lot of activities like hubers have never fully gotten back to where they were pre COVID, just because maybe some people found alternatives to go to you know, ordering. I mean, this might sound ridiculous, but ordering pumpkins or just getting them from Walmart that type of stuff instead of spending the time and going out and getting them at a place like Huber's or you know one of the other orchards that.
Speaker 1: Has that kind of stuff. Oh yeah, oh yeah, No, there's a lot of truth to that, and see the nice it used to be too, And I think that's why, to your point, why I don't notice as much, because I like I migrated more towards the NFL than college football. We talked a little bit about it when I was in last time, just because college football looked so much like the NFL now, And part of it's an age thing. I mean, let's be honest, college football was fun when I was back in my twenties and thirties, and now that I'm a little older, the NFL kind of suits me better. But boy, I remember days when, like Michigan would play Michigan State. My wife will going, hey, it's Humer's Day, and I'm like, no, no, it's not it's not Humor's Day, it's Michigan Michigan State Day. And and I mean that falls in because now you can open the whole of the can of worms. And now it comes to fall because I just saw in the record they had the wedding issue, and even said to my wife, I go, look, these weddings are in the record. Don't they usually come out in the spring. She goes, no, they're full weddings. Oh so it's time to start those conversations because you know, people playing the five o'clock weddings or I'm looking at five o'clocks on some of my phone, people playing the full weddings, and then you get that clash. I hear this all the time this time of year. Well, the game's on, dude, you're getting married. Bro, yep, you're getting married. I remember.
Speaker 3: So we had to move up our wedding because of COVID. I hate, I hate whenever I have to keep referencing COVID, but it is. My wife and I got married in that type of stuff. But we were originally supposed to get married on April fourth of twenty twenty. Well that's the same weekend as the final four, and obviously being a big college basketball town that we live in, there were some Kentucky fans, some Louisville fans even that were like, well, what happens if Louisville and Kentucky you're in the final four. You better have a TV. You better have the game on, because people are that concerned about that. And again, I love it just as much as the next person. Yeah, but I don't know. I've never been one to complain about being at a wedding and needing to watch the game.
Speaker 1: And if you really want to pull your phone out, I don't care. Yeah, right right, one of those things. Yeah, And I saw that a lot in my son's games. I saw a lot of parents with their noses just in the phone. I mean, now, I get, you know, sometimes if you're like my son, he wasn't the greatest athletically, and I understand, but that's your kid playing and your nose is buried in your phone. And what was fun? I used to I used to announce all the football games that they played over at Saint Martha. So you would sit up in this little makeshift kind of booth, you know, what have you, And so you could see people down below and I couldn't necessarily see you because they weren't facing you. But I mean, so many people on a Sunday afternoon, their kids are out there playing and they're buried in their phones watching the game. Now, I don't expect you to, you know, devote, you know, parents just I mean, I've watched my kid play sports before. My mind's been wandering, going, Okay, I got I got this to do this week. I got this bill, I gotta pay, I gotta do this. I totally understand that, but man, you know, I don't want to everybody's well, you never looked at your phone. I go. I may have glanced at my phone to check a score, but I wouldn't actively sit there and watch a game. And I've seen that so much. If you're gonna do that, just stay home, I mean, because then your kid turns around to sees you in the stands and you got your phone, your nose buried in your phone. You're not even watching your kid. I've seen that happen. I've seen kids look up and you know, parents are just there in the phone watching the game.
Speaker 3: It's like, and not too long ago, the easy solution was to just record it.
Speaker 1: And watch when you get home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now, I guess now that it's so much easier and streaming is so much more accessible nowadays than it was five to ten years ago. Than you why wait when you guys have it right now. And that's the way people think nowadays.
Speaker 1: To your point, when my daughter she's twenty five, now, well, my daughter turned like three or four. I made the mistake one time, and I'm guilty of this. I'm not sitting here trying to sit heading shoulders above anybody else. My daughter had her birthday party at one of these gyms that they have for kids. Dude, I brought one of those portable TVs because it was Michigan, Ohio State weekend. My wife and I did not talk for three days after that. And I see, now that i'm older, I see she was right. In fact, we went to a wedding over at the ul Speed Museum just a few weeks ago, and one of the girls we picked up to go evidently her husband was out of town at a baseball game or something. We said, we're so and so, and she goes, oh, oh, he's out of town with the guys they had a baseball game, and go too and I was like, you know what, I used to be that guy. I was that guy. So when I talk about all this, I'm no angel. I mean I've been there, I've done this, and now that I'm older, I now see where I was wrong. And my wife was totally justified, like I couldn't understand, like you do understand this is Michigan, Ohio State, and mois like, I don't care that you do understand. This is your daughter. And now I totally understand that. And it's not like, look, my daughter will tell me to this day she goes dad. I don't even remember that birthday party, and I probably wouldn't have noticed you watching the game. But it was something bigger, and it was something bigger than my wife. So when we bring this up and we talk about because this is going to happen again this year, falls getting right, ramp up, football games are coming up, fall weddings are coming up. I'm just saying it's gonna happen, And it sounds like it's been happening for generations too. This isn't something new. No, it'll happen again, but maybe something that we can all pay a little bit more attention to and see what goes down. So all right, Hey, that's enough of our high horse, right, we got a big show coming up for you. We still got two hours to unpack. Here. We're gonna talk a little TVT mania. We're gonna hear from Bellomin women's coach Chancellor Dugan on the state of women's sports. We're gonna preview, preview Kentucky high school football across the entire state. We're not just talking inside the Waterson, We're talking across the state. We're gonna do that. And I caught up with Ben Rhoads yet, two time Craftsman Truck Series Champion, Rating Series Champion, went to high School holy Cross right down in Dixie Highway. Spend some time with him. Great conversations. Great to be back with you for the next couple of days. I'm Scott Fitzgerald's John Alden. We're back after this on Sports Talk seven ninety we are jamming thanks to John Olden down in Studio E. I'm Scott Fitzgerald again. He is John Olden, filling in for the vacationing Nick Coffee, taking a well deserved vacation. Big of course, nothing but TBT Madia here in Louisville.
Speaker 4: You know, we wish it was in Rup, but you know, this is going to be a lot of fun to go down there. Hopefully we get a row win. I mean we're just excited, you know, just to you know, have a LOUISVOVERUS Kentucky game in July is crazy, so we can't wait the field, the energy, you know, get out there and try to get a win.
Speaker 1: That is former Kentucky player Tyler Yulis on the TVT game tonight between Lot Familia and The vell. Meanwhile, Reese Gaines had this to say.
Speaker 2: To look different than obviously the true Robbie, would you know when you're in your college teams, you know this is a little bit slightly different. What the intensity is going to be there. The passion is still going.
Speaker 1: To be there. So exciting. I know fans are heading out there. There are plenty of seats available in the end zones. Mind you, it's up in the end and in the corner at Freedom All thirty three dollars will get you in the door. Tip off tonight is at nine o'clock. The winner is advancing to the semi finals and the winners will earn one million dollars. Not too shabby of a payday. Be interesting how they split that out, John, see if.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some of the broadcasts, it shows they've at least depending on which network. Guess it's been on the Fox Networks. But they'll show in the corner how each of them will divvy it up depending on which team.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, because it's not an even split.
Speaker 3: I guess it depends on the roles and how many minutes are playing that type of stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so they probably got this all figured out and how they're going to do this, and then you start delving into the bracket. The game prior to that is going to be the Ohio State alumni taking on what I assume is going to be those are the folks from Boston College. I need to look at it. You get my mouse back here on the computer, and I can tell you they.
Speaker 3: Got the folks from Dayton Red Scare Red Scares to Ohio State's the other game tonight, and then tomorrow we've got Happy Valley Hooper's Penn State versus the Zoo Crew, which is Pittsburgh, as well as Forever Kops, the Houston alumni and Team Colorado.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, looking at takeover BC. I was trying to see some of these players that I recognized. I don't see a lot of them that are in here. It's just scattered throughout. So either way, I don't think a lot lot of folks are really concerning themselves with the game before. I think they're all just excited just to see Kentucky and Louisville and it. I mean, you could get these two together. I've said this before. You can get these two together, and you know, basket weaving and and fans would go to town over it. And it's fun for the city, it's fun for the environment, especially Louisville fans. You know, look, my heart goes out to you. My son's a big, big Louisville fan, and I watched him. I watched him just absolutely just suffer through what's happened to Louisville basketball. I you know, for me, Michigan football fell down before they won the National champions they didn't fall as far as Louisville basketball did. And you know, Louisville fans deserve better. It sounds like they're gonna get better. I know Nick's gonna talk a lot about that when he gets back. As they ramp up for basketball season. But it sounds like both programs got two great coaches put in place and should be exciting tonight to say the least. Hey, we're gonna break the top of the hour. When we come back, we'll talk a little bit more of the Olympics, talk about some stuff going on there. Busy, busy day, busy night on hand. Have him up here in the monitor watching some women's basketball as well going on, So we'll talk about that and more. We're back after this on Sports Talk seven ninety