Speaker 1: I got gluten the worst I've ever been glutened in Miami when I asked for gluten free pizza and I'm like, this pizza looks really good, is it? Are you sure it's gluten free? And I made sure and they're like, yeah, yeah, gluten free.
Speaker 2: Ate the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I've never been sicker, like projectile vomit that new job, meeting new boss in an uber with him and had to excuse myself after meeting him for the first time to go just give me once.
Speaker 2: I I'll be right there. You go yack my guts out. Oh so they just straight up live.
Speaker 1: Then, yeah, Oh that is no, there's no way they didn't lie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unless they made it on the same surface and then put like flower on the dough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they were not thinking and they're like, oh it's gluten free and then they just like plopped it right, yeah right, regular flower is or they didn't care. Yeah, either way, that's terrible, bad news, bad news. Wow, Hey, Ron, welcome to Games About After Dark, episode two hundred and fifty one. What a cold open. Yeah, I'll see how much of that I keep it. That was a fun conversation. I'm John Luke your host as always, and I'm joined by the lovely Jacob McCourt. Hello. Hey, how's it going good? Thanks for having me. You're moving, we're moving. Yes. So for those who don't know, Jacob, you are a moderator, Yeah, Spot Discord. Do you moderate Giant Bomb as well? You can hop on that.
Speaker 1: No, but there's there are some connected others like over Maria doesn't both yeah, okay, and so we also speak as well. So no, been a game Spot Discord moderator for as long as the discord has existed.
Speaker 2: Great, yeah, yeah, yeah, thank you so much for keeping that that thing going. Of course. Yeah, it means a lot. I know, it's it's uh, we need to talk about that discord at some point, I think because it's it's it's you know, it's just it's just kind of been floating for a while. It's a cool place for cool people.
Speaker 1: But but I think, yeah, there could be a renaissance.
Speaker 2: Who knows, it could be. We'll have to figure that out. But yeah, you also do video game trivia, yeah, which you've you did one for us at the end of last year. If you haven't listened to that episode, you should. It's pretty good. But you also do it at packs. Yeah, you were at PA. I was did you do one at pas? I did?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I did it twice actually, so for the first time did it in a bar, which is wild. So I had like sixty people out for that, which was wild. And I couldn't believe it, which is which is rat because I'm not, you know, from Seattle. So to be the guy who's just sort of air dropping in and hoping for the best.
Speaker 2: It shared really well.
Speaker 1: But then we did it uh at the con on the first day of the con and had like a lovely group of folks as a part of it, and the energy is just wild and wacky. There were costumes this time, that's great, but the one from last west is on Giant Bamba. Folks want to watch that and that has uh that has Lucy and Jake on it.
Speaker 2: Oh good, good, Yes, yes, I remember they were very didn't like wasn't there like a Kingdom Heart's question that Lucy Wift or something there was.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I saw her right after the panel and it was another video game voice acting question that sort of ended the panel. And so this time around the question last year it was about Kingdom Hearts and this time I'll have to pull up the question at some point. But it was another question and I saw her send it to her and she said and again she did the same thing where it was an obvious answer for her and she like guess the wrong thing.
Speaker 2: And then immediately it was like, oh no, no, actually it's this person, but I'll pull it up. But she did the same thing and it was it was glorious. That's amazing. Yeah, oh, Lucy, I haven't seen her in a hot minute, m because she was she went right from Games Calm to the Packs and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was there any like overlap between those two or no.
Speaker 2: I think she like stayed in London a little bit to catch up a family and then immediately went to Seattle and so like, I haven't seen her at all since then.
Speaker 1: I think she needs to to stay and rest.
Speaker 2: Probably right, yes, her aunt him. Yeah, they travel a lot and hopefully they'll get some good.
Speaker 1: The final question was I'll ask you the final question Ken packs West. This Hollywood actor played a villain for the first time in their career when they played Admiral Sallin Kotch in Call of Duty Infinite Warfare named the actor.
Speaker 2: Is Kevin Spacey. So it is not Kevin Spacey because I haven't That's that's the one. I haven't played. Switch Warfare. It was Infinite Worfa. Oh no, no, no, because Advanced Warfare is Kevin Spacey Infinite Warfare, and.
Speaker 1: I felt kind of bad, like setting a Kevin Spacey trap.
Speaker 2: Also, yeah you do. I realized that afterwards, and I was like, has Kevin Spacey ever been in another video game?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think that's his only video.
Speaker 2: Probably okay for the best. Okay, Infinite Warfare, though, give you another chance, because I know that games. God, it's not the main guy, because the main guy's voice is like I think he's like the voice of Eric or something like that.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you who it's not. So Lucy first guessed Dominic Monaghan. Dominic Monahan is not Kit Harrington.
Speaker 2: It is what a forgettable villain. I do want to play that game. That game's surprisingly good. That's not press F to Pay Respects is a No. That was Advanced Warfare. That's the Space one. That's the Space one is press AF because you you like, come home and your brother has died or something. That's the only I remember about that game is like press after pay respects and Kevin Spacey's in it. Yeah. No, Infinite Warfare is the like full on Space one. It's got like chip combat and zero gravity fights and there's like a robot companion. It's it's pretty solid. Everybody's in space suits two And that was the one that everyone hates did too, like it had like it had a do you remember this had It had the the most dislikes of any YouTube video at the time. No, yes, because people were just over like the space stuff with Call of Duty. Yeah, and looking back on it, it's like really novel and like almost cute, like how angry people were about what You look back on and you're like that was a really whatever game like that. That game didn't really do anything offensive. It didn't do anything, I mean, you know for Call of Duty right, Like it was just but it was just in space and people were over it to the point where it became the most disliked trailer of all time. While on YouTube, there's like crazy to think about because it's so whatever. Now you're like, yeah, I think it's fine.
Speaker 1: Truly, there's an era of Call of Dutys that I just I can't tell you anything about them.
Speaker 2: So McTavish, is is that a dude from the Call of Duty? Oh yeah, Warfare too? Baby? Yeah? Yeah? Does he die and then come back? He spoilers maybe spoiler alert. He dies in the original Modern Warfare three. It was like a big moment high school me was like, no, my boy, soap. And then he's in the Modern Warfare a reboot trilogy. He should also have been two for that. I don't know what happens to him in three because I played like three missions of three and then was said, this is awful and like stop playing it.
Speaker 1: And Price is the other dude, right, yeah, Prices in all of them.
Speaker 2: It's a Call of Duty minute from folks who don't I mean, do you play a lot of Call of Duties? I actually played most of the Call of Duties. I did play the Black Ops four Beta or six beta. Jesus not four? Is that the one from this year? Just the one coming out this year. I played the beta over the weekend with Jake Decker. I actually really liked it. I hear the movements kind of thing's really fun. Yeah, because it has this like omni directional movement and you're like well what does that mean? So it basically means you can sprint in any direct including backwards, which is very smiled, and you can dive and slide in any direction, including backwards or to the side. It's a little cumbersome to get a handle on, especially on mouse and keyboard, Like my fingers were doing a lot of aerobics to make that work. But it was like, maybe I should rebind these keys. But once you kind of get the the rhythm of it and how to do it, you're just doing like the dumbest shit where you're just like jumping off of building's cost you're sliding everywhere. I remember like walking through a hallway and like two dudes just like Max Pain style like dived out of the quarter and both just like pump me full of lead. And I couldn't even like it was so funny. It was just like it was incredible. So that at the at its court, it's call of duty, yep, But just that little tweak gave me a lot of fun at least for that one day. We'll see how it goes from there.
Speaker 1: There's that in the human Shield stuff is sort of new where you can whisper sweet nothings into.
Speaker 2: Yours the area. Yeah, I didn't get to experience that a little bit, uh unfortunately, but that seemed very very fun. I did watch, uh, Jake and and and Matt Paget who we were playing with, grab some people and just murder a bunch and yelling in the mics at them. And we're like, hopefully they heard that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, And are those like the two new hot things?
Speaker 2: And yeah, those seem to be the biggest hot things about it. I mean, otherwise I was like, yep, these Call of Duty weapons, the progression seems largely the same to my knowledge. I still hate that UI. The like the menu. I don't know if you've played inside the game itself, like in the main menu, in the main menu, I don't know if you've We've complained about this before on the podcast. Call of Duty menus continue to be one of the worst UI in video game existence, and it's doubly bad on PC because on PC they don't have Call of Duty games as a separate application anymore. They put them all in one application, Call of Duty HQ. In theory, you're like, okay, that makes sense, but it just becomes this awful men where I had to download one hundred and twenty gigs to play a beta woof just the beta, huh. I said, like, don't install anything else, and it was like, that'll be one hundred and twenty gigs and I'll be like, wow, that's ridiculous. And then it's like, okay, you have to load into call GDHQ and when I load in, it throws like five different battle pass menus shorters have it optimized, so it's also running out like five francs a second. So I like sit there and I'm just like okay, and I wait for the and then it's like beta and it goes great. Actually, no, first it says there's an update, restart your game, So you click that, the whole application closes loads back up, and you're like, oh my god. And then you go, I want to play the beta now, yeah, click on the beta and it says, great, we got to close this and open up a new application for the beta specifically, oh, And I was like, well, what couldn't you have just done that in the first place. And then the first time it loaded, it said, oh, there's an error. We need to close this whole thing. So I had to do it all again and then it works. My free member was in the game and I was like, well, why did. I didn't need to go through any of that other nonsense to just get to the game. Yeah.
Speaker 1: My frame of reference is Fortnite, and especially now with the new modes in Fortnite.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's turned into like it looks like a YouTube channel, the worst YouTube channel imaginable. It's YouTube kids, but bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you've seen YouTube kids, yes, like UI, that's that's good.
Speaker 2: UI. Yeah. But but even then, like the thumbnail style, it's all like you know, you that exact font that's usually just a Fortnite font that you can like, Like all of the game modes look like YouTube thumbs in Fortnite. It's terrible. It's really bad. It's for the kids.
Speaker 1: They're used to YouTube, so just give them the YouTube.
Speaker 2: But I know, and I was like, I just want to try the Lego mode. I don't need any of this other credity. The Lego modes are right, the legomodes, Okay, it's it's pretty, it's pretty decent. There was no Fortnite at packs West though, Wow. Crazy? Uh huh is that a thing normally a pack i'n't been a packs on a few years.
Speaker 1: Sadly, many years ago there was Fortnite Minigolf. We're talking like five years ago, like pre pandemic they had for a mini golf.
Speaker 2: Does that did that take them a huge amount of space? Was that? Was it? The most annoying thing at the on the floor I was those kinds.
Speaker 1: Of that packs because I think that was twenty I think that was Wes nineteen, but it took up a wild amount of space in one of the buildings.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing about packs is I went to packs for a very long time, was always, uh there would just be this like one booth that was like the booth that was like the annoying booth, you know, for whatever reason, Like I remember the uh there was the Firefall booth yep, which just would be the booth that just kept showing up every year. And I remember like no one knew what that game was, but it would only show up at packs, and everyone's like, I think this is a game that only exists to be on pat packs as like, and it's not never going to come out. Yes, I don't even did that game ever come out. I don't even know idea there's merch for it. Really yeah, crazy that can exist. Did that game ever exist? As far as I'm concerned, it existed purely to be a like Packs show flor thing. League of Legends Yeah, was oh worse. Yeah, every year because they would do concerts, yep, they would do shoutcasting, they'd be given out free code, so it would always be like people just swarming that year COS players everywhere. And then I remember eventually they were like, we're not going to Packs anymore because we have our own convention or whatever. And I was like, oh, thank the Lord, I don't have to deal with these freaking League of Legends players. And I was good friends with some Legal Legends players all the time, but I was like, sorry, but like y'all are annoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think I hugged a LCS trophy at the last East right by the Packs arena that is always incredibly loud and you feel bad. So Rooster was one of the demos that is right was right near the packs arena. Yeah, and it's so loud and there's tons of traffics, and I just felt so bad, being like they're here for the ES Sports. I'm sorry your beautiful game, Rooster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that you're in the worst place in the whole conventions. It sucks. Yeah. I remember Mega sixty four was next to the League of Legends booth one year, and they were they were taken with a good grain of salt, being who they are, But yeah, that was always It.
Speaker 1: Was Dunkin Donuts at East because they had a very large donuts. Dunkin Donuts had a very large Boston uh huh uh huh. They had a large booth that essentially just had a camera pointing down when you would walk into the booth, and so almost like the kiss cam at an arena. Stuff would go on the screen where you could like, you know, hug your friend or make faces at the big.
Speaker 2: Screen where you're like a recipe for disaster, and.
Speaker 1: Then they would hand you a five dollars Duncan card. And that's why people would go by. I mean, it seems like a fair exchange. Yeah, okay, five dollars to make funny faces.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why not? You know, I'm sure there was a uh, I'm sure there's like a Duncan in that convention you could just go to after there's one right outside the back of the convention's effect. See, that's just that's synergy. Yeah, Yeah, someone got a raise for that. That brilliant marketing strategy.
Speaker 1: Don't I don't think there was like a largely offensive booth this time. I'm thinking of West on the floor. No, there wasn't really a big offensive, dunkin donut sized booth at this one.
Speaker 2: A lot of good. I feel like packs is back. I don't know if you've heard that from folks, but no back, man. That makes me really want to go, because again, I went from pretty consistently every year I went to a PAX, whether it's Easter, I go to West from I want to say, twenty eleven all the way until like twenty nineteen. It's like nine years straight. It felt like a pretty good run. And then the pandemic happened yep, and then I like haven't gone since yep, and I would really love to go to another one. That would be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I think this is This was my eleventh, so we've probably been to the same amount of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think I've been to.
Speaker 1: Maybe four or five South, four souths when South was a thing, oh yeah, and then unnplugged, and probably the same amount of West and East.
Speaker 2: But it just you know, we've probably crossed paths like ships in the Niama. We probably have. We're probably both at a giant bomb panel. I'm sure street passing in the line God is the best? Is that still going there is? Uh?
Speaker 1: Is it Zion that still does sort of a panel or.
Speaker 2: A meetup that's just designed to street pass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think everyone gets in a room and they just street path pass with each other. That sounds great, But the number of three DS is has definitely decreased. I did not bring my three DS to a pack SA that I went to East and West this year did not bring us a three DS.
Speaker 2: That is a thing that I think Nintendo needs to really bring to the Switch to a great is some sort of you know friend. Like I've said this many times, I love the Switch. I think that's the best games like of it, Like as a pure library, it's like one of Nintendo's best. It's like it's like crazy how many good games are on that thing. The actual console is like so rizless, like there's no thing to it, Like the UI is so boring. Yeah, there's no music in any of it, like at all. There's no fun little sound effects except for the The only good sound effect is when you pull up your friends list, it goes boom boop, boo boop, and see, I don't even I don't even about it. You don't even pu up your friends often to see that that's the only sound effect in that system that's interesting at all. And then it's like, I need music, I need a fun you why and you need to put a street pass style thing, something that's like a may I passed someone who also had one, and I got a puzzle piece or something.
Speaker 1: Also, that shop is probably the worst shop just from a pure optimization standpoint, like how it runs out runs everyone's like garbo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's saying something because there's been some pretty bad ones over the years, but it's definitely the worst current one.
Speaker 1: And the amount of shovel wear on that thing.
Speaker 2: Nintendo's definitely open the flood gates. Yeah, we're just like whatever.
Speaker 1: And I don't even think there's a search algorithm there. It is basically you can search from when was it released or you can do a It does have.
Speaker 2: An actual search bar. I have found that half the time it doesn't work. I would like search a thing and they're like, I don't know what you're talking about it and I'm like, I know it exists, it came out today, you tweeted about it. I'm trying to buy it. Yeah, but it's married under twenty puzzle games or slide shuffle anime girl games. Yep. Hopefully they fix it for the switch to flee.
Speaker 1: They do.
Speaker 2: I think that would be because I think there's a lot of speculation about the switch and how they're gonna make it different from the current one switch to whatever they end up calling it, And I think I think the form factor is pretty good, So I think it's like, make the experience of it more fun, make the presentation like wow, Nintendo. I think people are excited for that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: There was a long time where I thought they were gonna get weird with backwards compatibility, m because they're always weird.
Speaker 2: With back But I don't know. Lately, hearing some of the scut about it, I'm maybe a little more hopeful. Yeah. I think they kind of know that that might really bite them. That would not people would be mad about that because of how much people love their Yeah, there's switches.
Speaker 1: I think about the WEU way more than an average human being. Sure from multiple dimensions, and one of them is you have a successful console in the Wii. Yeah, and then you name it the Wiu. But then your marketing is so confused. Folks are like, wait, is it just the tablet? Do I just buy the tablet?
Speaker 2: See? I think Nintendo is terrified re peedia situation. You can tell they're just like, oh god, we can't do that again. But also they're like, but the switch is really popular, so we can't just call it the switch. You. Yeah, can't do that again.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that Bowser is yelling on every conference call he's on, being like, please, don't do the Wei again.
Speaker 2: Don't do this. Yeah, oh my gosh, Yeah, maybe what else did you see it? Packs? What'd you do? I played a lot of video games. There are a lot.
Speaker 1: There were a few bangers there, a few big bangers. Nintendo was there, and for the first time at East they had just a photo op for Scarlet and Violet because it sort of came together really quickly on the show floor outside of Nintendo line. It was weird, but no sorry. Nintendo Live was last West. At least they just had a last minute photo op, whereas this time they were showing off the new Legend Zelda game. The line was the line was very long before it, I can imagine, and Astrobot was there, So I did get hands on a little bit with Astrobot.
Speaker 2: I can talk about Astrobot, can you. Let's talk about Astrobot. So the embargo lifted today as a recording. Hell, I'd beaten that game. I played over the weekend. Tell me more. It's so good. Yeah, it is delightful.
Speaker 1: I saw the crash Bandicoot clips and said, oh, I must play this.
Speaker 2: Video game of media. Yeah, I so. I I've never played the VR Astrobot, but I did play play Room, and I thought it was just the most phenomenal thing. I like, legitimately and ironically think it's one of the best things on the PS five you can play. I agree with you, except now there's a better thing, and it's called Astropod and it's generational. Uh what do you mean it?
Speaker 1: You know, some folks on the internet have said that, you know, they're comparing it to Nintendo style platformers like Super Mario Odyssey or Galaxy That good.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would. I would say it does hit that bar of quality, you know, like it is a it feels Nintendo like in its in its like execution and it's just like, wow, this is just like everything about it. It's like so tight and so like well crafted in that very Nintendoy way that I feel like it's rare to see from studios outside of Nintendo. And then it's like, hey, that's what happens when you just like let them cook, you know, and make a make a good thing. But yeah, it's interesting because there's like two elements to Astrobot. There's the Astrobot part and then there's all the PlayStation nostalgia branding stuff on top. I don't mind the PlayStation nostalgia branding you. I feel like in my in theory, I feel like i'd hate it because I normally do hate that kind of thing. I think it does it just well enough where it's more like, oh, this is kind of fun and peaceful. There's a few things where I won't spoil what they are, but they do have these hero levels that are like levels specifically themed after a Nintendo game, and they're cool and if you like that specific property, you're gonna be really into it. There's about five of them. Three of them I would say are exactly what you probably These are for Sony characters. Sony franchises, think big franchise. So three of them are exactly what you probably think that a rap of the rapper go on exactly yep. Name the other two? Oh god?
Speaker 1: Uh guitar ro man, isn't. I just think of PSP games a lot.
Speaker 2: We know, we know what they are. Yeah, we know, they're exactly you know what they are. And if you like those games, cool, they're fun, they're they're very faithful and trash panic. Yeah, you nailed it. Wow. Tokyo Jungle. And that's the third one. Thank you, thank you. I'm here all day. Although I will say there is actually a Tokyo Jungle. Get out of here. It's a Tokyo jungle. Uh no, is there a small dog? Yes? Okay, it's it's the Pommes spoilers sing, I spoil one, I spoil one. It's really good. There's even man Okay, we'll get back to some of that in steah. But i'd say, those three ones what you expect, and I was like, okay, it's fine, but there are two that I didn't expect. Actually, do pull more from the the you know, like oh okay, like hey, that one's cool, and like I really didn't expect you to reference that one. So that's awesome. If anything, I wish they did more of that, like just really double down. But I get it. I get that they have to represent like the big current ones, but those are just small parts of the game and the majority of the game is just Astrobot being astrobought and honestly, like remove all the PlayStation stuff does not change my feelings on this game totally stands alone. You know, just incredibly tight platforming. Astrobot is absolutely adorable. Every level is just full of whimsy and delight. And Mark Delaney talks about the slot in his review where you gave him nine and then's check that out GameSpot dot com or YouTube dot com, slash games where I cut the video review Hey ay plug. There is so much variety into the mechanics where they do that thing where they'll they'll introduce a new ability or a new concept and in most games you'd think, Okay, they're gonna repeat this. They do the Nintendo throw it away. They'll they'll have it appear just enough and then throw it away. Here's another thing, or or they'll like throw it away and they'll bring it back like way later, so you like so you never get bored of anything, you know, Like some of my favorite levels, I'd be like, Wow, that was a really cool level. Never showed up again. They don't repeat that level at all, and I was like, Wow, that's crazy, like like that was so cool and you could have totally made five more levels of that, but they didn't. So it feels like, I don't know, there's just like this unbridled creativity and this sort of I don't know, like I'm I'm shocked they were able to do that because I feel like that just goes against every rhythm of like, well, we got to maximize this and iterate on this, and they just had either the ideas or the ability or the money or what to just constantly keep it surprising. So I mean I beat the whole thing in one day.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well I was going to structurally ask that. I think there's an overworld and then you go into levels. Yes, what's the structure like in it?
Speaker 2: So there's five galaxies plus a galaxy of like bonus levels six technically, and then each one has like four levels and then Boss level, and then there's a couple of hidden mini small levels that we can unlock. So very Mario Galaxy is in that structure, and then each the actual levels themselves kind of very where some are you know, they're all like five minutes long. They're super short. You can speed through them very quick, but a lot of them you want to kind of sit there, take your time, explore, find all your little astrobots, find the secrets. You know. Some will be a much more straightforward path. Some will kind of have this little almost like mini hub area where it's like I'm gonna walk around and I'm gonna interact with this and interact with that and do that. So you get this fun mix of like typical kind of like curated platforming, and then you get a little bit of that astrobot's playroom, like this is just a little playground. I have to like interact with things and you know, punch stuff and see what moves around and everything is just moving all the time, Like there's animals everywhere and everything's bouncing and they all have faces and it's like and.
Speaker 1: Some of the astrobots to collect are sony characters and you can put them in almost like a little case that is a dual sense controller.
Speaker 2: Is that is that where they go? Yeah? Yeah, So they'll like fly into your dual sense. That's charming, and then you can like flip them and move them around, and then you go back to what's called the crash site, which is your I guess kind of hub area, and that is where they will all live, and then you can go around and and they'll just be like doing their little thing. It almost has this like three D museum kind of vibe the way Asterbom's playroom had. And then there's like the Gotcha Machine, which was also in that game, and you can get a little collectibles for them.
Speaker 1: Because you collect coins throughout the world that exact powers at Gotcha Pond.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, so like for example, I'll use the example that Mark used in his review where you can get like Nathan Drake cool as an astrobot and he'll just kind of sit there and be like, hey, I'm Nathan Drake, but I'm a little astrobot. But if you collect his his a little like Gotcha item, it is a couch with like a TV, and then he's like playing a little game. And then when you go back to him, now he's like sitting there and he's playing it, and if you like punch him he'll like react and do like a little animation, and every character has one of those. It's so cute and wonderful.
Speaker 1: That just makes me want to go back and play the VR game once, because I do plan on playing it because it comes out as of recording.
Speaker 2: It comes out today.
Speaker 1: If you're listening to this, Yep, I am excited to dive in, but I might go play the VR game afterwards, because I did play Astro's Playroom like you adored it, yeah, but didn't play the VR. And I do have a PSBR one somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have some, We have them in the office. I should make you borrow and play it because yeah, I feel like I should.
Speaker 1: And probably not backwards compatible because isn't VR one and VR two weird?
Speaker 2: Yeah you think you think Sony would have been like, should port that game to the PSVR two? Yeah? Whatever, especially before this very popular thing comes Uh, maybe it'll help our thing that we haven't been promoting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the reviews on it are wild. I'm just I'm so pleased that everyone.
Speaker 2: Is loving it. Yeah, It's like I said, it's just absolute delight. It's hard not to grin just the whole time you're playing it and have a good time, especially if you're into that kind of like I guess if you're maybe someone who's like, I'm not really in a platformer, it's like, maybe Mario doesn't really do much for you, Like it's not if you kind of know that, like, hey, this might not be your thing, but if you like that kind of thing, and if you're like if you think about like the feelings and the vibes that you get from when you play a new three D Mario and how it's just like, oh, I just feel like a kid, or I feel like I'm just having a good time, and it's just like it gives you that same vibes, but with PlayStation, which I think is awesome because PlayStation hasn't really had that yep, not minute.
Speaker 1: I'm a thirty five year old man and I just played Super Mario Otity for the first time in the last year, and I was giddy like a child when I was playing some of some of those levels.
Speaker 2: So I think you'll absolutely feel the same way playing And if you have any nostalgia for Sony or just video games associated with PlayStation, you will you'll find one of those little Astrobot references and you'll just be like, I know that.
Speaker 1: And such a wild contrast to think that the Concord stuff happened in the same.
Speaker 2: Week that we put out Astrobot. Yeah not we collective we. Yeah, it's probably a good idea that there is not a Concord reference in Asboto.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although Concord, if I'm not mistaken, is in that final level.
Speaker 2: Programs just secret level. It's the prime videos, the new prime video thing from the Love, Death and Robots people, Yes, which is a cool concept. I'm actually really into that. But yeah, that's a bummer. That's gonna be real awkward when that that episode comes out. Yeah, if it even does.
Speaker 1: My thought was Concord has to come out in version two because of that deal they have on that program.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I genuinely don't know. I don't even know, man, Yeah, that that happened. When did that happened?
Speaker 1: Like that happened in the last in the last week. Yeah, gosh, that feels like a lifetime ago.
Speaker 2: And I think that happened literally like yesterday or two days ago. That news was wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, folks were still getting physical copies of the game and it is now being discontinued. Taken offline, I believe on Friday, Friday or Saturday Saturdaylatday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not gonna lie. I was very tempted to order a physical copy just for the Lulls kind of because I was like, wouldn't it be really funny if the only physical PlayStation five game I owned on my shelf was Concord. That would be so funny, that would be very funny. But I but then I didn't do it. And then by the time I was like maybe I'll actually look, it was already like you couldn't buy it on Amazon or anything, and people were trying to like upcharge it and sell it, and I was like, oh, that's gross, Like I don't want that. Yeah, be part of that.
Speaker 1: They're gonna put it in the museum or throw it in the Smithsonian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put it next to lawbreakers, you know, radical heights.
Speaker 1: I don't know name other should should have been well, I mean that one should have probably been free to play.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Concord such a weird case study.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel so bad for the development. Yeah, so genuinely, like I you know, I think because I think people are like very unequivocally just making fun of that game, and not to say that there aren't things that you can definitely be like, wow, look at the way Sony like company messed it up. But I do think a lot of it ends up very unfairly attacking the devs who were just doing their job and trying to make a cool thing with what they had, and a lot of assumptions about like them that I think is just very mean spirit and not Okay.
Speaker 1: I agree, you have to make you know, folks who were probably in the driver's seat for this call would have made the call to start working on this game five.
Speaker 2: Four or five years ago.
Speaker 1: Sure, right, so industry shift changes and folks don't like hero shooters. But then also, while to see Valves Hero Shooter almost at the same time, it's not even out yet and has Deadlock and has hundreds of thousands of players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that's an interesting case where I mean, for one, that game structurally is obviously so different. It's trying to be more kind of mobile ish, but really it's Deadlock is doing something very different, and where I think Concord just felt from the get go very stale and very like, oh twenty sixteen, this is Battle Born. Yeah, yes, battle Borns are real good comparison. Yeah, yeah, yeah, sorry, I think I have a physical copy of that? Wow? Did they do? I think? Think so? I'm gonna go check later. Okay, there you go. Yeah, you can put it next to Conk on your shelf. Put it in the Smithsonian. I guess the Smithsonian. Oh man, your box is fine. There's they got Borderlands. They do. They've been cranking on those. Have you watched the film? No, I need to watch it. It's on It's on streaming now, right, Yeah, so I can just watch it. Do I have to pay for it still? Or can I just Is it like to be your people?
Speaker 1: I would imagine it would be a seven six or seven dollar rental.
Speaker 2: At this time. I don't know. That might even be too much of a stretcher. I'm gonna be honest. I because I did watch I watched the Five Nights of Freddy's movie because it was like free on Peacock and that was hot garbage last year. But I did. It was better than I thought it was gonna be, though, but just just barely, like really wasn't It still was not not great at all? Like there were elements bro I was like, well, what tronics actually look pretty good, and like that looks good. But then I like, tonally, I think I had no idea what I wanted to do and it was not coherent, and.
Speaker 1: I think I had the Matthew Lillard Lillard goggles on where I was like, I sort of excused it of it since sure because Matthew Lillard, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and Matthew Lillard did kind of put his all into it in a like, you know, like Jim Carrey robotic kind of way. So it's like, you know what, like, all right, props to him, but you're full ass into this, thank you. But he wasn't in it enough. He was just in in in the beginning. In the end. Yeah, so it was kind of a spoilers first half and I guess, yeah, spoiler's first and alph I mean also, if you watch that trollery you knew anything about the story of those games, you were like, I know who he is. Yeah, this is so obvious. Duh uh. But my wife really does want to watch Borlands because she she's a hater, y certified hater. She loves to watch things to hate on them. Yeah, and so she's like, we're gonna watch it, right, And I was like, I don't want to do that. She's like, we're gonna watch it, like I'm morbidly curious about it as well. She also likes Borderlands. She's like a Borderland games. Yeah, she's a Borderlands defender. She's one of those I like Borderlands and I don't care if what you all say kind of thing. Is Jack black Claptrap in that?
Speaker 1: Yes, man, he's getting all the video game movies. Because the trailer for Minecraft Drop God, I thought that like terrible too, Yeah, really bad.
Speaker 2: He's in that too. Yeah. Nice Steve. Yeah, she's like some version of Steve or something. I don't know. Did you watch that trailer? I did? Yeah, what do you think? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't even know if they looked at the source material apart from looking at what the characters look like and what the world looked like.
Speaker 2: But did they play the video game? I don't know, because I mean the world even the problem with it is that it looks like, uh, it looks like the movie CG equivalent of when you apply like overly realistic detailed check textures on like a PS one game where you're like, oh, this looks horrifying, Like those pigs look terrible. They I'm going to see those in my nightmares kind of like thing. So there's that, and then there's the fact that you're like, okay, well, all the real actors are just clearly on a green screen the whole movie. So I immediately like, don't feel any like, I don't feel like they're connecting to what they are in at all. Everything feels horribly disjointed. And also pet peeve of mine, I hate isakai genre. You know, I don't like's genre. For those who don't know, means guy is a Japanese term. It's essentially a it is people from the real world who get transported to another world. So in in Japanese anime, isaki is a very popular right now, things like sort are online or you know, there's a bunch of stuff. Isakai also exists a lot in uh American cinema. There's the jaman Jack Black with Jack Black Jack Black King of I think we can call it ye Jack like that. That's an isakai. Uh this movie, it's an isakai like And and I realized, like, I actually don't really like those stories because I want a story about that fantastical world YEP with people that live in that world and take that world seriously. And whenever you do it in Isakai story where you take people from the real world and you put them in that world, they treat that world very flippantly and they and they're they're just like, oh, what's this. It's like it's for spoken. It's the first spoken problem. It's like, I'm just a girl from Brooklyn and now I'm in this magical world. Whoa And everyone's like this is obnoxious, and it's like, yes, I agree.
Speaker 1: Which is probably why folks appreciate and respect Persona so much.
Speaker 2: Right, is was would Persona?
Speaker 1: I say this as a person who's not played it Persona game, but I assume that they're sort of being transported into a mythical world.
Speaker 2: I mean yes and no ooh, that's a question. I would say it's eat sakai ish. But the difference is is that it's more that the world that they're the world is still related to their current world. Like in Persona they go to like the metaverse and like, but but the metaverse is like, it's not an alternate world. It's like a different part of our world. It's like it's like a different space Dimon world. Oh yes, because Digimon, I wouldn't say is aniakai okay, I would not go out Digimon as ankai because it still is our world, and the those worlds interact with each other like things they do in persona affect the real world, and they they they got it are connected. Where I would say. The thing with an Kai is it's completely different. It's a it's it's an unconnected universe, okay, has nothing to do with you know.
Speaker 1: So I when I saw the Minecraft trailer, all I thought of, to your point of upres scary textures was Cube of wore playing it on Dolphin.
Speaker 2: That's all I thought. Oh sure, yeah, yeah, my mind went to a weird place there. Yeah. Or remember that here's a Ward two Tech demo with the meat Cube. I do, Yeah, I do. Yeah, that's kind of what it looks like, the meat Cube. Yeah. I don't want to that's it's very high res cube of meat and it doesn't look natural. And Jason Momo is your lead. It's just a lot of strangth. We love Jason Momo, we stand in that man. But at the same time, I'm like, why is he the lead of the Minecraft movie? Because they couldn't get the Rock Fair Jumanji. Yes, Oh man, they really just make one movie over and over again, don't they? Yeah? Man, have you paid attention to kids movies? Clearly I haven't. Four decades. I clearly I have.
Speaker 1: There's a formula there is, so is Sonic three then gonna follow that that formula.
Speaker 2: Is like the weird one that kind of like actually transcends it a little bit because I feel like each movie because the first movie I think is okay, agreed, and the second movie I do think is better for kids four kids. But here's the thing. I think as those movies get on, they start to lean more into the sonicisms of this and less into the because the first movie, I think where it falls apart is the parts that are very like kids movie, where it's like, here's the all the human characters, here's the references to Olive Garden and like all this, like the pop music and all this stuff that you're like, okay, like I get it, this kid's movie. But then it's like, I know, you're getting like more sonic with it. And then like the third one where it's like, oh they just got shadow and like you know everyone, it's like are the human characters. They're in it, but they're probably hopefully not gonna get much screen time, who knows. But I feel like they're understanding, like, oh, we know what the Sonic freaks want, and we're gonna give it.
Speaker 1: The want Metal Sonic punching Shadow of the Hedgehog. Yes, yeah, yes, exactly they want. They want that girl to get shot with a gun, and they're gonna stand up and they're gonna cheer for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They want Sonic to kiss a human girl? Yes? Oh wow. Do you think they'll ever Now, I'm like, well, we get to the part where they will try to adapt Sonic O six.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like they'll wink a nod to it. Live and Learn will come on Shadow or Knuckles and Sonic will do the super saying thing and we'll live and learn.
Speaker 2: Which one is that? From? Which ones Live and Learn? Actually? From Sonic Adventure to Battle? Is that battle? Yeah? Have they done escape from the City yet? In I can't remember. I don't think they have. Well, they could do that because that's Adventure too. Sonic was on a snowboard though in the second one I believe, Okay, did they play it there? I couldn't they might again? Yeah? Right in if you think they played the you could tell us what's the podcast? Email GameSpot no after dark GameSpot dot com.
Speaker 1: Please write and say right and let us know. You'll know nothing about Sonic the movies?
Speaker 2: Yes, please?
Speaker 1: Do we want your thesis about Sonic One and Sonic too the movies.
Speaker 2: Probably correct that we don't know anything. But Rus the Bat? Do you think she'll show up at any point? Oh man, there's so many characters? Yeah? And who do you get to play Rouge the Bat?
Speaker 1: Because Rouge the Bat in two thousand and six would have been voiced by Ali Larder if you remember, like Ali Lurer from from Heroes, She's the perfect voice.
Speaker 2: For Rouge the Bat. But you get Pink is Pink Rouge the Bat singer Pink? Because I'm trying to think because they've been they've definitely been leaning more into the whole. They had a lot of success with Eater s Elba and then he said we gotta go bigger. Yep, we got we got a shadow And you're like, okay, that's fine. Yeah, who do you get for Rouge? They haven't done Amy either. Actually, now that I think about it, we haven't got Amy, we haven't got.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's so many I need chaotics in the Yeah, who would play Rouge the Bat because in my mind, you need sort of a gruff voice. You need something that sounds like the person has smoked.
Speaker 2: Yes, fatal who smoked a lot? Yes? Charlie sure? Or Uma? Okay? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I'm yeah. Is it with Thurman doing anything? Not sure? Why not? Yeah? Get her in, call her up? Yeah? All right, that'd be great.
Speaker 1: Is that the only big because I feel like story Kitchen is essentially taking all the I P there's a Dredge movie coming out as you as you probably know.
Speaker 2: That's Yeah, there's some weird ones that I was like, oh, okay, like, you know, cool game and and like, uh what is that game that? Uh? It was the Max Pain like game.
Speaker 1: I heard that's Getting Scaffold Yeah, and it's la Keith Stanfield is playing the main character of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was like, okay, like that could actually be good. But I was like, what a weird poll. Yeah, you know, like that game's cool, but you know, m hmm.
Speaker 1: Salivan Nelson at Strange Gaffold builds cool worlds. Yes, I don't know if you've played Clickholding yet, I've.
Speaker 2: Been meaning to. Yeah, that game looks I've not played. It's half an hour. I've not played it yet.
Speaker 1: For those who have not seen it, it is a strange man in a hotel room in the dark with a mask on, and then you just click one of those number counters a whole bunch and then stuff happens the video game.
Speaker 2: Wow, that sounds great. Yeah. Also incredible name. Yeah, top tier. I definitely can't.
Speaker 1: I don't read it right, Yeah, I mean their names four games. I Am Your Beast is coming out imminently, which is another strange caffold that's coming out in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, mm hmm. Man, is there anything you're looking forward to game the rest of the year, because we're in the thick of it.
Speaker 1: We are, we are in the thick of it. I mean, apart from Astrobot. I got really excited today with the Bilatro mobile announcement. Okay, I was like, oh no, I'm just gonna play blatchrowhere, including the toilet.
Speaker 2: I'm one of the few people that has not fully gotten onto the Blockchrow train. I bought it on PC load up on my Steam deck. I tried to play it. Yep. I think my mindset wasn't there, so I just I don't want to like trying to understand like card games and board games type of rules. It's like very difficult for me. And I thought. I was like, man, I don't want to I can't figure this out right now. I'm gonna try it later. And I like quit it out midtatorial because I just let it back up. I loaded back up, the tutorial does not pop up again. Oh no, So now I don't know how to play that game. No, And I was like, should I look up a video or something?
Speaker 1: And I was like, there are tons of strat videos out there.
Speaker 2: But I kind of screwed myself because I don't. I just like, I don't know how to play that game, so now I don't come back to it up on my phone.
Speaker 1: There are some folks that have been like I don't fully understand this game, and there's a weird I mean, maybe not now that it's the most popular game.
Speaker 2: I'm being facetious, but like that it's.
Speaker 1: Very popular, but there was this weird thing of like I don't understand gambling. I don't want to play bare then you.
Speaker 2: Have to scream with them and be like, it's actually not about gambling, It's not about at all. No, that's just the scoring mechanism for your addiction to balatro. I feel like I would like it, Like I'm not trying to be like a blatro. It's more just the weird situation I put myself in. I was like, oh, it's too late.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm probably most excited for like Microsoft's first party Indiana Jones is still this year.
Speaker 2: Right it is? It's like December ninth, which I'm not feeling good about that date. I mean, so I think the average person doesn't have to care about this because they're like it's fine, Like I'll play it on Christmas and it'll be great, right, perfect. This is a I'm a games journalist who works for a company that has game of the Year, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, when's the cutoff? What date is the cutoff?
Speaker 2: The cutoff is usually like the last week of November. Oh god. And we've had weird situations where we've had to come back. And I think we mentioned this last on the podcast, Like Halo Infinite was a one where it was like Jordan's the only one who's played it. What do you think, Jordan. Jordan's like, it's real good, we should put it on the list. We're like, oh, okay, Jordan's you know, like you have to kind of trust the word of.
Speaker 1: Like have a weird single player multiplayer where one came before the.
Speaker 2: Other multiplayer came out first. So that was a weird one where everyone there had played the multiplayer, but Jordan was the only one who had played the campaign, And to be fair, I think everyone liked the multiplayer enough that we all wanted it to be on the list just for the multiplayer. And then Jordan's like, I also think the campaign's good. We're like sold. But that was a weird one. I think Smash Brothers also was a December weird Oh yeah, and Ultimate Yes, yeah, yeah, that was one. Although we a good amount of us played it because one of us who got the code just like set it up on the TV. Everyone played it all the time, constantly. We played so much of that game in an office. But yeah, games like that, it's always either a you know, if it misses the cutoff, what we say is it's eligible for the next year, but you always forget about it. But then it always gets forgotten. Yeah, you know when it's kind of a bummer. That's the Game Awards has that same problem, sure, where the eligibility is probably November thirtieth because you have to cut off somewhere. Yeah, on that game, Like, the only way it wouldn't get forgotten is if it was like Elder Ring levels of incredible, right, right, And you're probably playing it weeks before it comes out anyway, Sure, so you know that it's very good exactly.
Speaker 1: Apart from Astrobot, very excited about Mario and Luigi. The new one that's coming out over the holidays. I still don't really know who is making it because Alpha Dream is no longer a studio that exists. I don't know what team is working on it. But if it has the same charm as other Mario RPGs, I'm sure it will be rad. And then beyond that, it's really just playing the backlog.
Speaker 2: It is. I've not played Children of the Sun yet. That's a great one. You can do that one in one setting. Great Sick seems a perfect pop it on on the evening. It's like psychedelic Hitman or psychedelic Sniper Elite, right, that's the vibe Okay, it's it's wonderfully weird and gnarly and and I love that game. Yeah, that's real good, it works great on scenebeck as well.
Speaker 1: Good, Yeah, I have that, and I have Yellow Taxi Go Room loaded up on my heard of this one. Okay, So the pitch for that one is take Super Mario sixty four and Crazy Taxi and smash them together.
Speaker 2: Okay, sold me? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, that one came out and sort of I don't know, say under the radar, but I think it's PC only, and so.
Speaker 2: That's why, folks, Okay, it would crush on switch. But there is a character in the game called Morio who is a parody of Mario, which is why it's probably not unintendedly interesting. What are you most excited for Stalker two? Oh yeah, I'm a huge fan of the original Stalker games. I'm looking forward to that Euro jank. It's gonna be good. I'm definitely picking up on PC because I expect one. I expect that game and probably be pretty buggy because that's coming in a hot It's kind of the vibe I get. And I'm gonna mod the heck and you know the mods are gonna be wild for that one, So definitely looking forward to that. I think that's gonna be great. I am also looking forward to oh what is it? There was? There was another one that I was like, old, a dragon Age dragon Age. So I mentioned a few times on the podcast. I've been playing dragon Age Origins. I finally beat it this weekend. Technically, my wife played it. She had never played a dragon Age before, but really like Boulder Skate three last year, and that was kind of her her on ramp to this one. Yes, and and like that was her full like intro to like, hey, I actually like RPGs and I like fantasy. And I was like hell yeah, rubbing my hands. So I was like, you should try dragon Age. She loved it, super into it, thought the world building was fantastic. Like, replaying that game reminded me, have you ever played Original dragon No?
Speaker 1: I have, and I've been thinking about it. So I played through all the mass EVEVECT games. Okay, but I think the next huge RPG, you know, I said earlier, I'm not gonna play I played a persona game. Persona for Golden is probably the next big RBGI player, but Origins is.
Speaker 2: On the leaps too. Okay, if you do play it, yeah, how do you play it in twenty twenty four? So I tried playing it on PC. Unfortunately, it's got some issues on PC that kind of prevent it. The big thing is there was like a memory that came as a memory leak. Oh no, that never got patched. You had to turn off every thirty minutes, yes, and you have to like set it to low so it doesn't crash and then reload it back up. And then the longer you play, the shorter it takes before it keeps crashing. So what I ended up doing instead because it was like this is gonna be I barely have the patience for this, and my wife will absolutely this is this is the easiest way to make her not like this game. You threw spaghetti in the PC. We threw some spaghetti and the PC and that just like sewed it all up. The no more leaks. We bought on Xbox because it's backwards compatible. Okay, so if you have an Xbox, you know you can you can just play it on that. It does cost more. Unfortunately, if you want to buy all the DLC, which is kind of a bummer, it's like there there's no game of the edition for that there was, but it was a disc only, so if you buy it, you know digitally, you have to buy it all piecemeal still, which like really sucks.
Speaker 1: And can you even buy Didn't they shut down the.
Speaker 2: Three sixty store as well? No, well, they shut down the store on three sixty, but any games backwards compatible on a modern Xbox can still be bopped, so you can still buy three sixty games that you can play on your modern Xbox, So you can do that and it will. It does have built in frame rate boost, so it plays sixty yeah, is awesome. It doesn't have a resolution boost, so it kind of looks real crunchy, And I would say that game visually does not hold up the best because it's kind of rough looking and the controls are pretty okay. The combat of that game is fun, but it might not be everyone's cup of tea. I would say, if you're not feeling it, just put it down to easy and you can kind of just grind through most of that game. You're really there for the story and the characters in the world. That stuff holds up so incredibly well, like the world building and just the level of thought that buyer were put into that universe. It's like it even fifteen years later, I'm like, wow, this holds up like just so well, like just like every little detail they thought of of, like this world and not just like the continent you're like the country you're on and it's relationship with other countries and like you're a grey Warden and like the history of the grey Wardens and what they do and like all this and that, and then like she was like, wow, this reminds me of like it's like Witcher levels of just like the thought and the care and the attention to these little elements that you don't even necessarily come into play but are just there to make the world feel real holds up so well.
Speaker 1: I want buy Away to win so much for vil Guard. I don't think there is there is a triple A studio this Q four that I'm cheering for.
Speaker 2: Now than them. I agree that I want them to have a win. Yeah, because there was a time where I would unequivocally say, bar where is my favorite studio all time? And they've they've been letting me down recently. And did you play Anthem? I did? I did play Anthem. I'm sure there was world building in that one. No, yeah, I mean there was. I don't think it was told in a way that was I didn't retain any of it. I don't think it was interesting. I don't. I couldn't tell you anything about the world building. Like dragon Age, it's not just like because it's not enough to just say we have lore. It has to actually be told in the context of it needs to be like engaging and like make sense and relate back to you. And I don't remember any of that stuff in Anthem. I just remember, man, the flying around with the robot suits was kind of cool. Yeah, the Tony Stark park, Yeah, the Iron Man part it was nice. And that's about it. Uh. And then I really didn't like Andromeda. I thought that game was huge displint.
Speaker 1: I was literally gonna say, like the Matt the world building in one to three was really fantastic, and again taking it out of the codec and just you know, talking to folks with your side missions, yeah, learning about them. If Dragon Age is anything like the original Mass spect trilogy.
Speaker 2: That definitely is. Yes, if that's if you're looking for that vibe, because playing it gave me that, like, man, this this reminds me so much of like night Stale Republic One, the original. It has that spirit, has that buyoware vibe to it. So if you have a love for those games, like go play Dragon Age Origians.
Speaker 1: It keeps moving up my list of when am I going to play this video game?
Speaker 2: It's it's a wonderful time. She loved it. We're going to play the expansion Awakening next. We're just taking a small break and then we're going to play two, and then we're going to play Inquisition leading up to Vilguard. Gotta hope that game is good. Also, you're running out of time. Isn't it coming out in like seven weeks right Halloween? So to be fair, we probably won't make that. That's okay. I'll probably play my own playthrough with my my save, and then when we're done, we'll have we'll do a second play through with her. What was your play through? Time wise? Like thinking about investment, I'm like, can I so again, we played on easy, so we were able to kind of like cruise through most of the fights.
Speaker 1: Yep, fifty hours okay to beat the game. I put seventy in a rebirth this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did fifty and that was doing all the DLCs, not counting the expansion, like okay, like all the DLCs that you can do within the base game, which are to be very short. That yeah, if you played on normal with the actual because that game was combat is actually quite difficult. I remember my original playthrough took me like ninety hours. It's a long ass game because that games combat it's pretty brutal. But I would really just recommend playing on easy and just flying through it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I think you've moved up this game. It is on my pile of shame. You've moved it up.
Speaker 2: It's good. There's some great man. Some of the characters in that game are so so good. Who's the is the bull Man? What's their name? That's the Iron Bowl? The Iron Bowl? Yes, everyone talks about the Iron Bowl. Oh yeah, Freddy Princh Junior. He's in the third one, so not not the first one, but the first one. Is Morgan, she's the iconic witch lady from the series It. Scott Alistair, he's great. Sten. They're pretty much all great except for Agron. Agron sucks. But what does Agron suck? Because Agron is is He's so He's a dwarf character whose whole character is uh, he's constantly drunk, and he's constantly making sexual advances of oh no, and just being a rude, gross boy. Okay, and that's the whole character. And I don't you're not the game isn't saying isn't this guy cool? Actually the game knows he's a loser. Yep. But that's kind of it. Okay, Like you're just like, Okay, hey, here's a guy. He sucks, and I'm like, great.
Speaker 1: You have me have fun drunk, and then you said the second thing and I was like, no, no, thanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's like they don't go they keep it light enough, it's not like yeah, but it's it's still like I don't like you. And then you're like and the game's like, yeah, isn't he the worst? I'm like, cool, is he gonna do something with that? And they're like not really, he's just gonna continue to be the worst, And you're like, great, well, then I'll never use him and I don't want to talk to him. Party characters A party character, yes, And unfortunately he's one of the only party characters that is also in the expansion, like like they they want you to play with him. I don't get it. Someone there was really championing Augrin. He's voiced by Steve Blum too, who actually does a job, and really it's a good voice. He doesn't he does a really good performance as a loser, But what does a loser sound like? I'm putting you on the spot for an impression. I'm I'm'm not gonna even try that. My voice cannot hit that kind of industry as a as a Steve Blum. But yeah, I mean the expansion has like some great new characters in it that are awesome. And then and also they're like, and we put Augron back in. I'm like, why why you could have put anyone? There must be one fan somewhere somewhere there is an Augron fan. They're furiously typing an email right now. Yeah, after dark it came from.
Speaker 1: Man, someone's gonna look at the inbox in a few weeks and be like, what the hell are you are y'all doing?
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's probably my big one. Okay, I'm very excited for Yeah, I'm I'm I'm really hoping that one's good. Yeah, there is no studio. I'm cheering for more, I know, Yeah, it'd be nice I'd like to win this year because it's it's been kind of rougher game devs. Yeah, and I don't know if my heart could take it. If if Byre were also, uh, you know, something happens to them.
Speaker 1: For a long time, I was like, what is Eya besides FIFA print money machine and they don't feel that. Yeah, Dice hasn't made a game since twenty forty two and nineteen.
Speaker 2: I think it's been a long time for them as well. They have they're winning off Frostbite, I'm sure right. Uh, Apex Legends still trucking along. A lot of people are very unhappy because they've been doing some weird monetization stuff with that that's gross or whatever. I just know people are mad about it. Yeah, sure that sounds right.
Speaker 1: But there and there are no real EA originals lately. I think the last one would have been Hazes Light last game Tails of CANCERA oh, that would have been an EA original.
Speaker 2: Was original, was very good, and unfortunately I don't think that game did Super Bowl because they had to lay off, yeah, a bunch of people on their team, which really sucks because I thought that game was really cool and I hope that team can bounce back because man, a surgeon studios. Yes, that was like such an amazing first effort for a studio, and I was like, man, they could really build on this and like the next game could just like knock it out of the park. So I hope they get the chance to do that. I'm really rooting for them too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is the Haze light game? That's not a way out? The one with the two folks who become toys or become Oh it takes to thank you, Jeff, it takes two, yes, of course, right, I mean, look.
Speaker 2: I said that, but it's a it's a good video but it is a good video game. Was it the best video game of that year?
Speaker 1: I don't think it was, really think it was, but definitely in the in the should be in the top five.
Speaker 2: Sure yeah, yes, yeah, very much a contender, But the best video game of that year? I don't think it was. No, what was? What? What else was that year? Though? What year was that? Twenty two? Twenty two? Oh my gosh, look on twenty two. It's weird. I have like a very good memory for video game. Like you could like name a video game and I'd be like nine two ninety eight, or whatever. But the last couple of years have been a weird blur, probably because of the pandemic. Yeah, twenty twenty two, that would have not that that had been.
Speaker 1: Pre No, twenty two was the elden Ring year, so that might have actually been twenty one.
Speaker 2: Sould have been twenty one now because yeah, yeah, twenty two was elden Ring year. So twenty one was Death Loop. It was Psychoonot's two that was the best game of that year. I wholeheardly agree with you. It was Psychodots two that was the best game. Yeah, here's here is the list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was it takes two to one death Loop, as you said, Metroid Dread, Psychonots two, Rift Apart, Resident Evil Village where where.
Speaker 2: The six titles? Yeah it was. It was Psychoonats too. That was the best game of the year. It was Yeah, such a good game. What a game?
Speaker 1: Have you watched the final episode of the two player Productions documentary?
Speaker 2: Now? I have not, but I did order that Blu ray box.
Speaker 1: So did I, and I was like, I don't need this.
Speaker 2: I don't need it. I absolutely don't need it, but I feel obligated to have it.
Speaker 1: I had a group chat with like two friends that are big fans of that documentary as well, and we were all like, ah, we don't need.
Speaker 2: This, but like what if it was just on the.
Speaker 1: Shelf, Yeah, we could be like, look it next to our you know, double fine art book. And then I said I don't need it. And then later that day I just bought it.
Speaker 2: I just bought it, and I was like, yeah, you know, I feel like it's someone who works in the games media, who has made a couple of video game docs. It's like I gotta I gotta support my fellows.
Speaker 1: Because nothing will like it shouldn't have happened.
Speaker 2: It's unbeatable. Honestly, it's like why even try, you know, when they like that, you can't even I mean, there's many reasons to try and stories in that. But I was like, Wow, they did it. They did the thing that like is a once in a lifetime project, Like how do you? I don't even know.
Speaker 1: Part of me wants them to win because I think the Emmys are coming up, so part of me went, can we nominated? I don't know because how the eligibility works, but either I was struck by this should win an Emmy, This should win, should give it a bath to can we give it something? So it is a report documentary, not a video game documentary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's just a great Yes, it's like the level of depth and and like attention, like is it's not just like, oh, they were there the whole time and it's long. It's like it's also good and compelling and interesting and and and that that length like really brings something to the understanding of like the people and the game development process in a way that you really can't get from just like, uh, you know, hey, we talked to them for like a few days. It's just not possible, right like.
Speaker 1: And it ends and flows and you see again, I I think.
Speaker 2: The pandemic happens in it. Like there's so many acquisition happens. Yes, and you get oh my god, like.
Speaker 1: The Matt Booty meeting incredible, Oh my god, that I can't believe it made it into the final.
Speaker 2: It really is a microcosm of like everything that could possibly happen to like a game, you know, with the exception of it like getting like a shut down or like right like, but yeah, it's it's incredible. It really it deserves I think it deserves more attention outside the sphere of just like game enthusiasts and and I agree, it's like that should be on like Netflix or something.
Speaker 1: And beyond having some low lows, there are some beautiful moments in it of you know, people starting families and then even Tim realizing that some of the employees that have been there for very long time have equity and then him going, hey, guys, it turns out you have equity and you're gonna get money from this acquisition, which is just so beautiful when it happens.
Speaker 2: I uh, yeah, yeah, the part where one of the people working on the dock except like yeah, participating the game jam and then their concept is in the game I think, so, yeah, Like that's awesome, like like somebody twists? Where's kiln oh Man? Yeah, if you haven't seen that and you like docs, you really should go look it up. What's the name of it? It's like, uh, psychotic psychoticsy. You can it's all up on YouTube. You don't need to go pay two hundred dollars for a I mean there is a limited amount, so you probably can't anymore. Yeah, but wasn't LRG that was? Who did that? Was that? I am a bit put that one out. I think it might be.
Speaker 1: I am a bit yeah, yeah, because I know they're sort of connected with DAA the dev's yea, yeah, yes, yes, I think it was them, not not uh Limited Run doing some cool stuff too. They got that Alan Wake physical.
Speaker 2: I ended up getting.
Speaker 1: So they were at packs and had the normal booth and you know they're they're I believe they're doing game publishing too.
Speaker 2: They have the Johnson Gun from uh do you know about this? I from Shouts of the Damned. They have a full scale replica of of the Big Boner. I don't think. I don't think I saw it there. Man, what a shame.
Speaker 1: I ended up getting Rocket Knight Adventure resparked, okay there because I have not touched Rocket Knight in a very long time and it has I believe three titles on it and uh but no, they always have a really compelling lineup and they had a couple of games. So they're publishing the rug Racks game, so they had that on.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm is that out yet? I'm very it's.
Speaker 1: Out on the tenth or eleventh, I believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to I want to take it and uh have you heard about this? How? Because it got co op right, yes, but if I'm correct, this is the one that also like has the like sness ness mode. Right. Yeah, so you can just take the ROM out of the file and you can just put that into your emulators or in my case, my ever Drive cartridge. Yeah, and I could just play it on my CRT and I really wanted That's why.
Speaker 1: Well, weren't they going to produce an yes cartridges or maybe or maybe I'm just imagining that.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a thing they would do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that one was out. They have a game called Ghosts that they were demoing, which is a first person horror game that the demo is very short, but at one point, like bodies are just piling on top of you. But it it parodies Night Traps. So it's you're you're watching a bunch of FMV characters in the world and you're.
Speaker 2: Pressing buttons to change between cameras and then just wild hit starts happening, where a bunch of mannequins will fall on you, or you'll start hallucinating.
Speaker 1: Or you'll go outside of the production you know, create that you're in and oops, you're in a mythical world. This it was, it was wild. It was one of the wildest thing things I played when I was at West.
Speaker 2: Even the demo.
Speaker 1: The demo was really short to it, just a couple of minutes. The Rugrats demo is also a couple of minutes, but it it got it told me exactly what it is. I was like, Yes, I'm gonna play that video game.
Speaker 2: Oh that sounds lovely, man, That's my thing I miss about packs the most, the little the Indian area. Yeah, little tiny games. You're like, oh, when is that coming out? And then it doesn't come out for another ten years or whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the highlights was seeing I don't know if you follow like East Bread, I think that's how you say Estpread games. They published Valhalla, a published World of Horror and they have a fantastic track, and they're publishing Demon School. Oh and so at West they had two more games. So they had Love Eternal and they had Ever Deep Aura Ever Deep Aurorra is like a game Boy Color SteamWorld dig but it's got big gibli vibes to it, both in graphics and in sound.
Speaker 2: Okay coming next year.
Speaker 1: And then they also had a So Love Eternal was if do you remember VVVVV back in the day that game, So it's a gravity game, but then also it's a psychological horror game on.
Speaker 2: Top of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah, so it's finding stuff like that at West That is the best part. The other one that I found didn't know anything about it beforehand, was called tether Geist.
Speaker 2: I think is the name of it. But essentially it is a like hardcore platform or where you're a character who can separate their spirit from your body and you use that the ghost part is tethered to you, and you'll essentially use the ghost to go through walls or spikes or obstacles. Oh that sounds really Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: That one has a demo and Steam if you want to try it, But and that one has no date. But it's stuff like that you just find out on the floor and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, give it to me immediately, I need it now. Yeah. Yeah. But what's cool now is that you get you kind of get an online version of that with things like Steam, Next Fest and stuff like that. So I feel like where it used to be only places like packs would be the opportunity to experience that, there is at least now a way for other people to do that without having to like I have to go to Seattle, or I have to go to Boston or whatever.
Speaker 1: I mean, a good friend of mine got COVID for East and canceled his trip. And again they have those third party events to Steam now and they have an official East and an official West one and it'll say, here are all the demos that were on the floor.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's rad. I think it only runs.
Speaker 1: During packs, that makes sense, but you can you know, Steam is not the you can't find games on Steam. Sometimes it's not as bad as Nintendo, but sometimes it's hard to find those events when there's sort of a marque.
Speaker 2: Event going on on Steam. Yeah, but I was.
Speaker 1: Still able to find it in the web browser and it just shows you, Hey, here's everything that was on the floor. You're the demos that were on the floor. Here were the packs exclusive. Yeah, it's it's rad. Oh that's so cool man. Yeah, wow, that's great.
Speaker 2: So you can go to packs, going to pack.
Speaker 1: You cannot smell the smells and it's still play the games.
Speaker 2: I want to put it that way. That sounds that sounds kind of nice. Yeah, but you don't want to smell the smells. Ah, you know what I think I've you smelled enough smell, smelled enough smells smelliest gaming event you've ever been to. Oh god, strying to put you on the spot on the spot smelliest smell smelling probably a PAX, But I can't like recall. The thing is, I can't recall like a specific They all meld into one smell of like just like horrible, putrid, like awfulness, like Kurt experienced that games calm. Apparently you have in the last episode to hear about that. So yeah, I guess. I guess we're probably just like a packs or something. I don't know. Most to be fair, I feel like I try and avoid the really bad ones, someones that are just like, oh, I know this is gonna be yep. Rough.
Speaker 1: It seems like Summer game Fest now has very pleasant smells, just from seeing what it looks like now, well, this is.
Speaker 2: Probably very pleasant, yes, because our games Fest is a small event that's just for the industry, like people who work there, people were there to do a job, and ideally people who are also adults that know how to shower, right, So it's like there's like enough thresholds of like barriers to entry. That's like you're probably someone who like takes care of their hygiene if you're here, which is nice. I agree, Pack or not packs. Summer game Fest is maybe my favorite. Like I have to work their event because it's actually like I feel like I could do my job. But it's a very different vibe, you know than a PAX or something. Yeah, because them bodies are getting thrown into the convention her and sometimes she's smelly. Oh yeah, but yeah, Jacob, this has been lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for having me, Thank you for being here as you is this the last podcast that will ever happen in this room?
Speaker 2: It is actually the last podcast. Hell, we're gonna be tearing apart this like right after.
Speaker 1: Will there be podcasts after this one?
Speaker 2: You know what? That is a question I was literally thinking about while we were talking. Oh boy, So let's let's let me break it down for you folks. What's going to be happening Next week is a normal week, but we're going to be packing up the studio, so we can't do a podcast here. So if we do do a podcast would have to be remote. The week after that, I have a work trip, so does Jake. We're gonna be doing a thing, so they're probably Chris secret can't talk about it very exciting, So there won't be a podcast that a week unless I do something really weird and out of pocket and like we record a podcast like on trip or something, which would be kind of maybe stupid and silly. Maybe we'll do that. I don't know. These are all ideas floating in my head. No, no, this is concrete, and don't take any of those gospel we'll get back. I immediately have to go to a wedding the next week. Oh no, definitely won't be a podcast that week. So we're already like one podcast. Definitely not to probably not so at this point, the whole month of September is like completely like probably not gonna happen. We move into our new office the first of October as when we get the keys, however, nothing will be set up there. There will be no internet, there will be building they'll be putting in the internet that first week, so we probably won't be able to do anything in that office that week, and then they're going to be working on our studio during the month of October, so we won't be able to out. What I would say is as far as a proper studio podcast where hey, like shocker, we are actually gonna start doing this live again on camera. That's gonna be don't expect that until like the end of October, because they have to build the studio and then I need to like set up the equipment and I need to test it and like there's so many things I have to get done. So don't expect any of that for at least two months. Whether or not there will be any episodes of this podcast, I would like to try and at least get something out so that there's not a complete lull for two months straight. They're gonna be a little ridiculous. But bear with me because I cannot promise you anything. We're trying our best. We're trying our best. You're trying your best. I'm saying word, I'm like, I'm just gonna leave it. Or yeah, you're just going home. You don't have to do anything. Yeah, I finally get to go home. It's great. Oh, I'm happy for you. All right. Well, Jacob, thank you very much for coming on the episode, for having me. Where can people find you they want to take it out?
Speaker 1: You can find me on the Twitter machine. I won't call it the other thing. Uh, you can find me at Jacob McCourt j A c O B M C c O U R T. And that's where everything I do will be.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I host a couple of podcasts, I write words about video games, and then do video game trivia at any convention that'll have me.
Speaker 2: So maybe you'll have to be on it in a future. Pah, I'd love to gotta go to a packs. You gotta do it. Sounds like you have a reason though, Yeah, exactly, I I have to go. You're welcome it. Thank you all right, everybody, Thank you so much for listening, and we will see you all next time.