Speaker 1: Gernsbeck has published thousands of science fiction stories since nineteen eleven. How does scientists react to his ideas?
Speaker 2: In the early days, that is, before nineteen home and thirty, there was a terrible lot of skeptism. Today most scientists take me seriously.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman, and I'm Joey Angelfield producer engineer Mike Tomren is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a DT Cavorine Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West, and Atheist United Studios. Hey, Joey, American science fiction owes much to Jewish writers and innovators, and the term itself was coined by a Jewish immigrant from Luxembourg. Hugo Gernsback our guest today, himself, a Jewish immigrant, is carrying on that rich tradition.
Speaker 4: We're thrilled to talk again with Alex Schwartzman, a prolific science fiction author whose latest novel is the best of All Possible Planets. Alex, welcome back to Amusing Jews.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 4: You've had an eclectic career as a writer, anthologist, translator, and game designer, not to mention your stint as a champion magic the Gathering player. What keeps you coming back to science fiction?
Speaker 1: Science fiction has been sort of my first love as a hobby, long before I discovered gaming, long before I kind of got involved in the laundry list of different cool things that you've mentioned. I was devouring science fiction books as a kid living in the Soviet Union. You know today is Ukraine, but back then it was a place that had very limited entertainment options. There were three TV channels, and you know, very little of quality on any of them. There were a few movies and a few different entertainment options available, but they were ample books, and so I just read voraciously. I read every science fiction short story and novel that I could find, both by the Soviet authors as well as in translation, which kind of why I fell in love with translation and and and everything that it has to offer as well. And I never walked away from that. When my family moved to the United States, I never thought that my English would be good enough to be a writer. I was very surprised to learn that I was wrong, but also gratified. So but I continue to read throughout this entire time. For my you know, five decades of life, I've been reading science fiction books, and I think I'm probably really well read, even for science fiction fandom. And there are some people who are just astoundingly well read in that space, because many of the books I've read are from the era that are hardly read today by modern readers. So like the Golden Age books, you know, going all the way back to the time of Hugburns back and so I kind of channeled and poured all of that love into this new book.
Speaker 3: One of the first science fiction books I remember reading was an anthology of Soviet science fiction. I think that was the title of it. But I was struck by kind of the differences between some of the stories in there and the stuff that I was reading later that was American science fiction. Do you have any like, I don't know, all encompassing view of maybe the distinctions between Soviet and American science fiction of that era.
Speaker 1: The Soviet science fiction was very limited in some ways because you couldn't express yourself really, you couldn't just tell the best story that you wanted to tell. You couldn't just entertain the audience. There were certain milestones that you had to hit. Science fiction was viewed by the Soviet regime much in the same way as it is currently being viewed by the Chinese government as the fiction for the young people and as a means of getting them interested in science. And so the stories had to always feature, you know, some kind of victory of socialism and the communist regime over the evil capitalists. It had to feature, you know, some sort of scientific adventures that would you know, entice the potential readers. So there were all of these limitations, and even so there were brilliant authors like the stor Gott's key brothers like Ki Bolichov who were able to work within these constraints and tell great stories. But those stories were indeed different from American fiction, where the primary goal was to sell the book right, to sell as many copies as possible, and they just wasn't part of the equation. In the Soviet regime, the primary goal was to get the book past the sensors, to get it published at all.
Speaker 3: Do you have any opinion about whether science fiction needs to include scientific basis or not to be science fiction.
Speaker 1: I think it doesn't have to, and it absolutely can. There's some fantastic heart science fiction out there, and that's heard. Science fiction is generally how we describe these types of stories that are really with the sciences, relatively rigorous, so think the Martian for example. But you don't have to the great thing about our genre is that there is an infinite number of ways to tell story. And in fact, the term in the Russian language for the genre is fantastica, and fantastica is a term that encompasses all speculative literature. There is no quite an equivalent term in English, but it basically includes science fiction that includes fantasy, it includes speculative horror, anything where I think speculative fiction is probably the closest comparison, but it sounds a little academic, whereas fantastica is generally accepted. And so I really like that term because it by itself, just by using the term, it kind of invites you to consider that, like, all types of storytellings are possible, and you don't have to just be just serve the science.
Speaker 4: Enjoining the show, click like and subscribe.
Speaker 3: You describe your latest novel the best of All Possible Planets as a space opera comedy for fans of Futurama and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. You use a lot of humor in your work, and sci fi and comedy in general often blend well together. Why do you think that is.
Speaker 1: I think it's not just sci fi and comedy. I think a lot of genres tend to work well together if you're speaking the language, if you're speaking sort of the shrible of your readers. So if you're combining let's say you're a huge romance fan, right, and if somebody is writing a movie or a book that plays with those tropes and winks at the reader of those tropes in just the right way, in the way that they will recognize, it will work really, really well. And so the same is true with science fiction. Because whether you're a hardcore fan like most of us, or whether you're just a casual person that have maybe seen Star Wars and Doune and Star Trek, but isn't necessarily somebody who will recognize the Golden Age novels and stuff. You still understand the tropes and the references. And that is why TV shows that Featurama work so well. I mean, that's an incredibly smart show that's written by one of the best educated, like you know writers' rooms in the business. Like there's so many like Carvard graduates and so many actual scientists that were involved with that. But they were able to tell the jokes that everybody could understand. But if you actually happen to get the inside joke, to understand the science behind what they were saying, or the formula that was written on the blackboard the in an episode somewhere, that easter egg only enhanced your enjoyment of the story. And so I tried time and again to apply the same strategy to my book, where you should be able to read it even if you're a complete neophy if you're just vaguely familiar with what space opera is and you know what those kind of types of stories try to accomplish. But if you actually get the references, then that level of enjoyment just becomes much more refined, and you will get that endorphin every time that you catch an easter and you catch that reference that was intended.
Speaker 4: Is there a name for that kind of fiction that makes so many references and easter eggs, Like you describe.
Speaker 1: Well, it could be satire, it could be you know, it could just be comedy. I mean, to my mind, a good humor story, especially if you're trying to write a humor story at novel length, which is very difficult, right because humor tends to outstates welcome very quickly. So if you write, let's say, a novel that's based on nothing but puns, the reader may get tired of that by chapter three, I mean, and at some point they may throw the book across the room because it's just more of the same. Right. So the strategy for that, in my mind, is you utilize every type of humor. You throw everything at it, and you could have an occasional pun, you can have wordplay, you can have satire, you can have social commentary, and you mix it all up. And as a reader, you don't have to like every single joke, but if you find something, if you find a few jokes you like in every chapter, you will be delighted by the book, you know. So that's that kind of kitchen sink approach tends to work if you are first of all capable and second willing to kind of bland all of those types of humor together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're right that a book of like dad jokes from outer space wouldn't work very well. But your book, because you're planting all those easter eggs or what we call offfee commons, you know, all over the book. I think it actually encourages a reread as well, because you're going to find something new that you didn't notice the first time, or the second time, or the third time. So it's kind of a brilliant thing that some authors like you do to kind of overload the story with references. So then next time, after you've experienced whatever's being referenced, you read it again, and now you're going to notice that reference in there. Right.
Speaker 1: I did something interesting there because I noticed from my early beta readers that it was almost like a race to see how many references they could identify, and like how many of the in jokes they could catch. So I upon one of the many passes, and of course, every you know, like the book is never completed just when you finish writing it, you do many many passes over it. So one of the editing passes that I did, I actually wrote down every single reference that I myself remembered and recognized, and I got to tell you there are probably at least a few that I missed myself, because you can you make a joke, you make a reference to something, and then you just forget. But at the end of the book there's a little glossary that kind of gives you all the references that I know for sure as an author that are in there. And again there are more that are subconsciously there, or there are more general references. There are referring to like a trow rather than specific specific book. But I think that having that at the end of the book is an interesting way for readers to kind of go through at the end and say, hey, did I catch the reference to that? Oh yeah, I definitely, I definitely knew. I know exactly like where where in the book that moment is that you know, ee, Doc Smith Skylark series is read is introduced, for example, or you know, or something like that. So and again, that's a g preference. That's that's that's something most people will not get, but they will absolutely get, you know, the Star Wars jokes and the Star Trek jokes and adctrical jokes and all the more popular space opera franchises.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm only about eighty percent of the way through the book, and I got a reference from Foundation, which I was like pretty proud to get from Isaac Asimov's Foundation. And I've only seen the TV series. It seems like the novel might be or the series of novels might be a little bit hard for me to get into. So I'm just wondering where that one came from. You probably have read it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have read the novels. I also really enjoy the TV series, and I will venture forth an unpopular opinion that the TV series is actually batter. So the novels have wonderful ideas, but at the end of the day, it's a white room with a bunch of men sitting around and talking about stuff. It was Asimov's way to interrogate sort of like the future history and to write his own rise and fall of the Roman Empire. The TV series takes the concept and it pushes it that much further with interesting characters and beautiful scenery and just really really well written you know, episodes on plots. So it's one of my favorite TV series at the moment. So the reference definitely applies to both. But I think the TV series will make it easier for some of the modern readers to catch that, like yourself, who may not have actually read the books, but hey, like now you know, you know who Harry Selden is and the what the deal behind the foundation was.
Speaker 4: By definition, speculative fiction imagines the world of tomorrow. With the rate of societal and technological changes the days is it sometimes difficult to think up stuff beyond what might be possible in a year or two.
Speaker 1: The entire genre of space opera essentially was kind of built on the shoulders of two giants, and that's Edmund Hamilton and E. Doc Smith. Now I'm not saying that other people haven't contributed to it, but you know, they were really foundational to that. But if you read those books today, they're almost painful, right because they're so poulpy and so simple and kind of like the characters are not well developed by today's standards, et cetera. Science fiction in general doesn't tend to survive the test of time as well as fantasy, right because whereas you know, Tolkien built a society that's sort of you know, it's a you know, it's it's like it's a fantasy society that's kind of like medieval in its nature or before, and it doesn't project, you know, the science into the future, whereas any science fiction writer they if they invent a flying car, and ten years later somebody actually creates a flying car and it's done in the complete different way, all of a sudden, their idea feels dated, you know, and so you kind of take greater risks if you're writing science fiction, especially in near future science fiction. So so we have to allow for the fact that, you know, Asima was in fact brilliant and did a great job for his time, but it may not some of those books may not read as smoothly today as they would have, you know, thirty or forty or fifty years ago.
Speaker 4: Without giving too much away, what's the gist of the Best of All Possible Planets.
Speaker 1: Although it's a space opera book, the sort of the third rail, the core of the book is it is based on Voltaire's Candied and so not only is that one of the earliest like black comedy books, but perhaps the very first black comedy book ever written. It is also an adventure story that has a character chasing a mcguffin across the globe, and so at one point a few years ago, my son had to read it for school and he wanted very much to discuss it with me. So I had to reread it so that I could be current, because it's been decades since i've read it. Plus I've originally read it in Russian translation rather than English translation. And when I reread it, my first thought, somehow, because it's me and that's the way my crazy brain works, my first thought was, Wow, this would make a great space opera, And so I wrote a space opera indeed, where these characters are chasing a literal MacGuffin across the universe, and it's the same character arc in a way as Voltaire's characters, but of course it's a completely different plot. And the way that I structured the book is that they leave Earth looking for a force barrier, a terraform and force barrier. They can keep a small plot of land on Earth still habitable, because Earth at that point is posted apocalyptic and pretty much toorally matched up. And of course the spend the entire book chasing the smacguffin across across the galaxy, and every chapter they visit a different science fiction and especially space opera trope. So one moment, they may end up on a space Western planet, where I'll make fun of things like Firefly and like the Micresnic books and you know, all the all the space Western tropes that we see some in Star Trek and other places. Another moment, they may go to the planet of the Killer Robots, where you play with that whole idea of like, hey, like robots or want to exterminate humanity. But what I do with each of those concepts is I interrogate them and I try to subvert those tropes, which kind of has been where I live in terms of being a writer. I've always I've always been all about subverting tropes and so by by chasing a particular trope in every chapter that gives me an opportunity to go after them. So and those tropes, like sometimes it's a very popular franchise, and I just play with those ideas, like there's a couple of chapters that they're dedicated to Star Wars. And sometimes it is a subgenre like military science fiction, which has many, many many books, but it's also something that's relatively fun to make fun of. And sometimes it's things like why is there always a British style aristocracy in space? What sense does that possibly make? Like? Why is that feudal system something that so many writers are so excited to uh to structure their galactic empire on? So I play with that as well, and and and so on and so forth.
Speaker 3: As mentioned, you also translate Russian sci fi into English. Has translating helped you develop as a writer?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? By working on a translation, you remove yourself entirely from having to worry about developing the characters, or creating the plot, or you know, or pacing or a lot of the other things that the writer has to think about. And you are you have two jobs. Number one is to correctly relate the feelings and the thoughts that the author is intending to evoke in their readers. But number two is to write it in the best possible language, to emulate the language of the author and their style, so that the translated book or short story doesn't read like I wrote it, but rather it reads like the author wrote it and it was presented in a new language. And so it adds all of these different tools to your toolbox as a writer. And the same can be true of a lot of different things. If you write video game content, if you write comic book scripts. If you work on translation, all of these things allowing you to learn certain techniques, then you can then take back and apply to writing, apply to writing your own works. So if you do something particularly well in creative fields, all of that experience comes back and helps you as a writer, no matter what it is.
Speaker 3: You know, and.
Speaker 1: Especially translation, because it concerns itself with being so precise with language, and it allows me to to kind of sharpen my pen and be more precise when you know, when you know when I'm using words and when I'm especially when I'm using wordplay, that that it works in a certain you know, in a certain cadence that that I may not have been able to achieve before I started translating.
Speaker 3: Does it also help you to write in other people's voices when you're developing characters, The fact that you've been translating other writers, any of those spillover sort of skills of being able to write dispassionately or you know, remove from the characters in your own books.
Speaker 1: That's actually a really interesting question. I hadn't considered that. You're probably right, and it probably does contribute to it, but it's not something that I thought about consciously, right, Like, I mean, typically, what you want to do is you want to make sure that your characters, especially your main characters, sound unique, so that they don't all bland together where you can't really tell who is speaking without a dialogue tag, right, And so you think about that and you say like, well, what are the you know, what are the verbal techs? Right, Like the thing on Fantastic four is not going to speak the same way as read richers, right, And so you want to do that for all of your characters. But I haven't really thought about it too much, but yes it must, right, because it's the same technique of being a chameleon and adopting many different voices. To my mind, it doesn't matter so much if you're writing humor. It doesn't matter so much if the technology in a story gets outdated, because every science fiction story, and especially every humor, every sat para story is in some ways about the problems we have today. Whether those problems are you know, the climate crisis, the advent of artificial intelligence, or you know, all of those things and fears and concerns kind of get you know, packaged into the work, and many of them may remain universal like, I mean, we're still gonna worry about the climate of our planet. You know, fifty years from now, maybe we will not worry about AI so much. Maybe that'll get resolved one way or another. But for now it's current, so I'm not so much worried that, like the technology will go in a different way in the future. I just want to make sure that people will understand the humor for as long as possible, in the same way as Golliver's Travels, right, I mean, Golver's Travels was very much social commentary. It wasn't about giants and little pushians. It was about British people and their problems. And so Jonathan Swift did a great job of writing that, and I take my inspiration, though not quite the same level of quality from that.
Speaker 3: I think it doesn't necessarily have to be funny, because I know, with current events and everything else, books like A Brave New World and nineteen eighty four and Fahrenheit four or five to one become very popular again, even though you know, maybe references are outdated. The theme, like you're saying, the issues that people are dealing with are still very much current and are speaking to problems that we're experiencing today.
Speaker 1: Most of those books have been moved into the current events section.
Speaker 4: I was thinking about dystopian as a descriptor for a genre, and yeah, I think they just scratched out dystopian and then refer to it as current events. Maybe yeah.
Speaker 3: Or it's like a dystopian future is just dystopian present.
Speaker 1: You have to have a sense of humor about it, right, Like, I mean, I write about some relatively dark things in the book. I mean, the book is not a bummer of a read, right, Like, It's meant to be positive and funny and relatively light. But at the same time, you know, I'm presenting Earth that has suffered many climate catastrophes and is almost entirely devoid of people because almost everybody has left, and we're down to one small settlement of human beings on the entire planet. And I still kind of present it in a lighthearted and funny way. And I take my inspiration from Douglas Adams because he did the same thing with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I mean, if you think about the way that book starts, it's it's a completely apocalyptic book. I mean, it's a destruction of our entire planet and an entire species, and yet he manages to present it in a way where people will just laugh and continue reading and not just go, oh, this is just a step too far, like this is way too dark man, Like you can't do that. So he got away with it, and I'm trying to pull off the same heist.
Speaker 3: The forthcoming audio book of the Best of All Possible Planets is narrated by veteran voice actor Ellie Schiff and features comedian Lewis Black reading from the Gathered Wisdom of the Human Species, which opens each of the book's chapters.
Speaker 5: Humans are prone to take any misfortune that might befall them as a personal upfront. They bemoan the truism that bad things happen to good people without ever pausing to wonder whether they are good people. It is demonstrable while the universe holds no grudge against humanity, it merely doesn't grant any special dispensation. Thus things cannot be otherwise than they are. Earthquakes, sinkholes, and stubbing your toe should be viewed not as calamities, but rather as stepping stones in the concatenation of events that culminate in Earth being the best of all possible planets.
Speaker 1: I always wanted to have a truly distinct, amazing voice for Airwolt, So every the way that the book is structured. There is a quote from this book which is sort of poor you know, uh, you know, Poor John's Almanac, like by by by Ben flank Franklin, mixed up with a few other works, and it's written by one of the major characters from the story. Who is the stand in for the philosopher you know from from from you know, from Candide, uh for the philosopher Panglos. Now in the book, the philosopher is Airwolt, which is of course the you know, just a donation of the name Voltaire. But I wanted a really distinct voice for that, and so I tried to figure out who would be the great person to reach out to. And I was very, very lucky that a friend we have a mutual friend with, Lewis, was able to put us in touch and he very kindly agreed to participate in this project, which is the first for him. He's never done an audio but before I'm fairly certain, like there's certain, there's nothing on audiobol, there's no and he has just such a distinct voice where I've played those clips for friends and they were like, oh my god, it's Louis Black, and I haven't even told them who that is, so so I thought, and I thought he was just perfect for the way that he If anybody who's ever heard his comedy will easily recognize that voice. But of course he wasn't going to be willing or able to just record an entire like ten hour book or however long it was going to be, and Eli is perfect for that as well, because there's so many different characters do so many wacky voices that we needed somebody who had that amazing, amazing range. And it's been such a joy working with him because he is just adopting this variety of voices that makes the books sound like I was recorded by a full cast. One of the great pleasures that I've had over the last couple of months is to receive sample chapters in my email every once in a while, and I sort of drop everything and take my thirty or forty minutes to listen and prove the chapter, which basically means just looking for little bloopers that need to be corrected, and it's just amazing to hear their interpretation of my characters and their voices. So I am super stoppd. I love audio books. It is the primary way in which I consume fiction, you know, for fun, because when I otherwise, when I have time to sit in front of the screen, I'll either be writing, translating, or sometimes reading books that are not published yet, so they don't exist an audio because I'm writing a blurb or doing helping the author in some way. So for me to be able to just enjoy the book, audio is a perfect format, so I can do it while I'm driving, walking my dog, et cetera. And so it's really important to me that my books are well narrated, you know, and I'm extremely proud of how this is turning out to be. I can't wait for the audiobook to be out.
Speaker 4: What's the best way for our audience to follow and support your work?
Speaker 1: So you can find the book everwhere the books are sold. It should be available through library systems, Barnes and Nobles, some bookstores. You can always find it online on all the platforms as an ebook. And by the way, the book is also illustrated with a bunch of original illustrations from several different artists, so there's a lot of cool stuff to be found in there. The best way to find it is that Alex Schwartzman dot com is just. One of the advantages of having an unusually spelled name is that I was able to get my own my own website without having to compete with anybody. And so Alex Schwartzman dot com will have a links. We'll have links to all of these different websites. You can buy the ebook and even the print cup is directly from us. You can get them from anywhere, and you know, I don't really care, like, don't feel bad about getting a book out of the library. People kind of sometimes will approach the author and say, oh, I didn't buy your book, I only guide it from a library. Well good, we want you to read the book. That extra dollar or two that we make in royalties is not going to make up for an extra excited reader who will tell their friends. So whatever way it works for you, get the book in that format and in that way.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much Alex for joining us. Thank you very much for having me and to our audience. Now back to your regularly scheduled lives.
Speaker 4: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click like, and subscribe.